- Novel subgenotypes of hepatitis B virus genotypes C and D in Papua, Indonesia
Maria Inge Lusida
Department of Microbiology, Tropical Disease Center, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
J Clin Microbiol 46:2160-6. 2008
..analysis of part of the S gene and the entire precore/core gene of HBV isolates obtained from HBsAg-positive blood donors in Papua Province, Indonesia. Phylogenetic analysis of the S gene sequences revealed that 23 (85...
- Prevalence of HBV, HCV, HIV-1, 2 and HTLV-I/II infections among blood donors in a teaching hospital in the Central region of Saudi Arabia
Malak M El-Hazmi
Department of Pathology Microbiology, College of Medicine, King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:26-33. 2004
..prevalence of hepatitis viruses (B and C) and human retroviruses (HIV-1, 2 and human T-lymphotropic virus type I and II, HTLV-I /II) among blood donors at King Khalid University Hospital (KKUH), Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
- High prevalence of coeliac disease in apparently healthy Iranian blood donors
Digestive Disease Research Centre, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:475-8. 2003
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of coeliac in healthy, Iranian, blood donors.
- Prevalence of polyomavirus BK and JC infection and replication in 400 healthy blood donors
Transplantation Virology, Institute for Medical Microbiology, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 199:837-46. 2009
- The United States Trypanosoma cruzi Infection Study: evidence for vector-borne transmission of the parasite that causes Chagas disease among United States blood donors
Paul T Cantey
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services, and Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Transfusion 52:1922-30. 2012
Screening US blood donors for Trypanosoma cruzi infection is identifying autochthonous, chronic infections...
- Specific antibodies reacting with simian virus 40 capsid protein mimotopes in serum samples from healthy blood donors
Section of Microbiology, University of Ferrara, 44121 Ferrara, Italy
Hum Immunol 73:502-10. 2012
..SV40 viral capsid proteins 1-2-3 (VPs 1-2-3) was set up and employed to test 855 serum samples from healthy blood donors. Data from immunologic assays indicate that serum antibodies against SV40 VP mimotopes are detectable, although ..
- Absence of detectable xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus in plasma or peripheral blood mononuclear cells of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected blood donors or individuals in Africa
Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Transfusion 51:463-8. 2011
..In this study, we screened both plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMNCs) collected in Africa from blood donors and human immunodeficiency virus Type 1 (HIV-1)-infected individuals to gain evidence of XMRV infection in this ..
- Antibody specificities associated with neutralization breadth in plasma from human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C-infected blood donors
Elin S Gray
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Johannesburg, Private Bag X4, Sandringham 2131, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Virol 83:8925-37. 2009
- Prevalence and prevalence trends of transfusion transmissible infections among blood donors at four Chinese regional blood centers between 2000 and 2010
Institute of Blood Transfusion, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Hua Cai Road 26 Hao, Dong San Huan Road Er Duan, Chengdu, Sichuang, 610052, China
J Transl Med 10:176. 2012
..This study investigated the prevalence of serologic markers for transfusion transmissible infections (TTIs) among four Chinese blood centers...
- Heterogeneous geographic distribution of human T-cell lymphotropic viruses I and II (HTLV-I/II): serological screening prevalence rates in blood donors from large urban areas in Brazil
Fundação Hemominas, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 21:926-31. 2005
..Screening potential blood donors for HTLV-I/II is mandatory in Brazil. The public blood center network accounts for about 80...
- Frequency and load of hepatitis B virus DNA in first-time blood donors with antibodies to hepatitis B core antigen
Institute of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, University of Lubeck, Germany
Blood 100:2637-41. 2002
..study was to determine the frequency and load of hepatitis B virus (HBV) DNA in anti-HBc-positive first-time blood donors; it was designed to contribute to determining whether anti-HBc screening of blood donations might reduce the ..
- Hepatitis E virus antibodies in blood donors, France
Jean Michel Mansuy
Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
Emerg Infect Dis 17:2309-12. 2011
Using a validated sensitive assay, we found hepatitis E virus (HEV) IgG in 52.5% of voluntary blood donors in southwestern France. This finding suggests HEV is highly endemic to this region...
- Time trend of the prevalence of hepatitis E antibodies among farmers and blood donors: a potential zoonosis in Denmark
Peer B Christensen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 47:1026-31. 2008
..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of anti-HEV among Danish blood donors and Danish farmers...
- HIV-1 subtype B' dictates the AIDS epidemic among paid blood donors in the Henan and Hubei provinces of China
Modern Virology Research Center, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Hubei 430072, PR China
AIDS 17:2515-20. 2003
To investigate the genetic background of HIV-1 strains among infected paid blood donors (PBD) in the Henan and Hubei provinces of China.
- Temporal trends of perfluoroalkyl concentrations in American Red Cross adult blood donors, 2000-2010
Geary W Olsen
3M Company, Medical Department, St Paul, Minnesota, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:6330-8. 2012
Eleven perfluorinated alkyl acids (PFAAs) were analyzed in plasma from a total of 600 American Red Cross adult blood donors from six locations in 2010...
- Specificities of leucocyte alloantibodies in transfusion-related acute lung injury and results of leucocyte antibody screening of blood donors
Leucocyte Immunology Laboratory, Blood Service West of the German Red Cross, Hagen, Germany
Vox Sang 95:313-7. 2008
..Antibody-mediated transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) is an important cause of transfusion-associated morbidity and death. Preventive strategies are currently a matter of debate...
- Asymptomatic malaria parasitaemia and seroreactivities to Plasmodium falciparum antigens in blood donors from Ibadan, south-western Nigeria
E A Achidi
Department of Chemical Pathology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:601-10. 1995
..falciparum antigens (Pf155/RESA and circumsporozoite protein) were investigated in a random sample of 416 blood donors attending the Blood Transfusion Unit of the University College Hospital in Ibadan, south-western Nigeria: 224 ..
- Hepatitis E virus seroprevalence among blood donors in southwest Switzerland
Faculty of Biology and Medicine, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e21150. 2011
The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of Hepatitis E virus (HEV) among blood donors in southwest Switzerland.
- Toxocara canis infection is associated with eosinophilia and total IgE in blood donors from a large Brazilian centre
V C C Dattoli
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Acre, Acre, Brazil
Trop Med Int Health 16:514-7. 2011
To investigate the association between Toxocara canis infection and total IgE levels and eosinophilia in blood donors from a large Brazilian city.
- Autochthonous hepatitis E in Southwest England: natural history, complications and seasonal variation, and hepatitis E virus IgG seroprevalence in blood donors, the elderly and patients with chronic liver disease
Harry R Dalton
Cornwall Gastrointestinal Unit, Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust, Truro, Cornwall, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:784-90. 2008
..To report the natural history of autochthonous hepatitis E and hepatitis E virus (HEV) IgG seroprevalence in Southwest England...
- Molecular characterization, distribution, and dynamics of hepatitis C virus genotypes in blood donors in Colombia
Mónica Viviana Alvarado Mora
Laboratory of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, São Paulo Institute of Tropical Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Med Virol 82:1889-98. 2010
..The aim of this study was to characterize the viral sequences in plasma of 184 volunteer blood donors who attended the "Banco Nacional de Sangre de la Cruz Roja Colombiana," Bogotá, Colombia...
- Nucleic acid testing to detect HBV infection in blood donors
Susan L Stramer
Scientific Support Office, American Red Cross, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, USA
N Engl J Med 364:236-47. 2011
The detection of hepatitis B virus (HBV) in blood donors is achieved by screening for hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) and for antibodies against hepatitis B core antigen (anti-HBc)...
- High frequency of SEN virus infection in thalassemic patients and healthy blood donors in Iran
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Virol J 7:1. 2010
..the frequency of SENV-D and SENV-H genotypes viremia by performing nested-PCR in 120 and 100 sera from healthy blood donors and thalassemic patients in Guilan Province, North of Iran respectively...
- Prevalence and trend of hepatitis C virus infection among blood donors in Chinese mainland: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 11:88. 2011
..comprehensive and reliable tabulation of available data on the epidemiological characteristics and risk factors for HCV infection among blood donors in Chinese mainland, so as to help make prevention strategies and guide further research.
- The prevalence of chromosomally integrated human herpesvirus 6 genomes in the blood of UK blood donors
Hoe Nam Leong
Division of Infection and Immunity, Centre for Virology, Hampstead Campus, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
J Med Virol 79:45-51. 2007
..to determine the frequency of high HHV-6 viral loads in whole blood (>6 log(10) copies/ml) in a population of blood donors in London, UK...
- High throughput screening of 16 million serologically negative blood donors for hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus type-1 by nucleic acid amplification testing with specific and sensitive multiplex reagent in Japan
Japanese Red Cross Center for NAT and Quarantine, 1 31 1, Osadano, Fukuchiyama, 620 0853, Kyoto, Japan
J Virol Methods 112:145-51. 2003
..This is the first automated integrated system for prevention of transfusion transmitted HBV, HCV and HIV-1 infections, by NAT screening...
- Prevalence and trends of human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, and hepatitis C virus among blood donors in Iran, 2004 through 2007
Sedigheh Amini Kafi-abad
Department of Immunohematology, Research center of Iranian blood transfusion organization, Tehran, Iran
Transfusion 49:2214-20. 2009
Evaluation and monitoring the prevalence of transfusion-transmissible viral infections in blood donors is a valuable index of donor selection and blood safety...
- High prevalence of anti-hepatitis E virus antibodies in blood donors from South West France
Jean Michel Mansuy
Virology Laboratory, Purpan University Hospital, Toulouse Cedex 9, France
J Med Virol 80:289-93. 2008
..The prevalence of anti-hepatitis E virus (HEV) IgG antibodies in blood donors in this area was determined. A total of 529 samples from rural and urban blood donors were tested...
- Reference intervals in healthy adult Ugandan blood donors and their impact on conducting international vaccine trials
Leigh Anne Eller
U S Military HIV Research Program, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3919. 2008
..In order to ensure enrollment of healthy participants and proper safety evaluation of vaccine candidates, established reference intervals for clinical tests are required in the target population...
- Cardiovascular autonomic function testing in asymptomatic T. cruzi carriers: a sensitive method to identify subclinical Chagas' disease
Juan C Villar
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Sciences, Laboratory of Autonomic Physiology, Fundación Cardiovascular del Oriente Colombiano Instituto del Corazón, Colombia
Int J Cardiol 93:189-95. 2004
..cruzi serology carriers (SERO[+]) requires confirmation. The purpose of this study was to determine whether abnormal cardio-vagal responses were different among SERO[+] subjects with varying ECG alterations...
- Transfusion-transmitted hepatitis B virus infection
National Health Service Blood and Transplant, Cambridge Blood Centre, Long Road, Cambridge CB2 2PT, UK
J Hepatol 51:798-809. 2009
..Pre-transfusion testing and post-transfusion long-term follow-up of recipients, and molecular analysis of the virus infecting both donor and recipient are critical to definitively incriminate transfusion in the transmission of HBV...
- [Detection of Trypanosoma cruzi in blood donors]
Bárbara Alicia Novelo-Garza
Coordinación de Planeación de Infraestructura Médica, Dirección de Prestaciones Médicas, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 48:139-44. 2010
..Our objective was to measure the effect the Tripanosoma Cruzi screening test in blood banks in the Mexican Institute of Social Security...
- Transfusion-transmitted malaria in countries where malaria is endemic: a review of the literature from sub-Saharan Africa
Alex K Owusu-Ofori
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi, Ghana
Clin Infect Dis 51:1192-8. 2010
..17 relevant studies from the period 1980-2009 and indicated that the median prevalence of malaria among 33,029 blood donors was 10.2% (range, 0.7% in Kenya to 55.0% in Nigeria)...
- Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 and type 2 seroprevalence, incidence, and residual transfusion risk among blood donors in Brazil during 2007-2009
Anna Bárbara F Carneiro-Proietti
Hemominas Foundation, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1265-72. 2012
..Blood center data may contribute to surveillance for HTLV infection...
- Seroprevalence for hepatitis E virus (HEV) infection among volunteer blood donors of the Regional Blood Bank of Londrina, State of Paraná , Brazil
André Luiz Bortoliero
Department of Internal Medicine, Health Sciences Center, Londrina State University, Londrina, Parana, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 48:87-92. 2006
A cross-sectional study was carried out among 996 volunteer blood donors enrolled from May 1999 to December 1999 to determine the seroprevalence of hepatitis E virus (HEV) infection among volunteer blood donors of the Regional Blood Bank ..
- Molecular characteristics of occult hepatitis B virus from blood donors in southeast China
National Institute of Diagnostics and Vaccine Development in Infectious Diseases, School of Life Science, Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China
J Clin Microbiol 48:357-62. 2010
..G145R was the major variation in the HBV isolates responsible for local occult HBV infections...
- Molecular and serological characterization of occult hepatitis B infection in blood donors from Mexico
Beatriz María García-Montalvo
Centro Médico Nacional Ignacio García Téllez, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Ann Hepatol 10:133-41. 2011
..A molecular and serological characterization was done of OBI in blood donors from Yucatan, Mexico. HBV DNA was found in 24 (6.4%) of the 372 evaluated samples...
- Detection of Usutu-virus-specific IgG in blood donors from northern Italy
Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 12:431-3. 2012
..immunosorbent assay to detect the specific IgG response to Usutu virus (USUV) in humans, by evaluating 359 blood donors who were living in northeastern Italy...
- Detection of dengue virus in sera of Brazilian blood donors
Leny Lobo Dias
Virology Research Center, School of Medicine of tRibeirão Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Transfusion 52:1667-71. 2012
..Here, we studied the circulation of DENV in healthy individuals during an epidemic outbreak...
- Real-time PCR diagnosis of Plasmodium vivax among blood donors
Centro de Hemoterapia e Hematologia do Pará, Tv Padre Eutíquio, 2109, CEP, Belem, Pará 660033 000, Brazil
Malar J 11:345. 2012
When selecting blood donors in transfusion centres, one important problem is to identify, during screening, individuals with infectious diseases that can be transmitted by blood, such as malaria, especially when the parasite densities are ..
- Correlation of viral loads with HCV genotypes: higher levels of virus were revealed among blood donors infected with 6a strains
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
PLoS ONE 7:e52467. 2012
..Both HCV genotypes and viral loads are predictors of therapeutic outcomes among patients treated with α-interferon plus ribavirin; however, such correlation has only been studied for genotypes 1, 2, and 3 but not for genotype 6...
- The increasing prevalence of serologic markers for syphilis among Chinese blood donors in 2008 through 2010 during a syphilis epidemic
Westat, Inc, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Transfusion 52:1741-9. 2012
..This study evaluated the prevalence and incidence of serologic markers for syphilis among donors at five Chinese blood centers...
- Estimated prevalence of dengue viremia in Puerto Rican blood donations, 1995 through 2010
Lyle R Petersen
Division of Vector Borne Diseases, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522 2087, USA
Transfusion 52:1647-51. 2012
..Estimates of the long-term prevalence of DENV viremic donations will help evaluate the potential magnitude of this risk in Puerto Rico...
- Occult hepatitis B infection in blood donors from South East Asia: molecular characterisation and potential mechanisms of occurrence
National Health Service Blood and Transplant, Cambridge Blood Centre, Cambridge, UK
Gut 61:1744-53. 2012
To investigate the molecular basis of occult hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection (OBI) in Asian blood donors.
- Residual risk of transfusion-transmitted viral infections in Shenzhen, China, 2001 through 2004
Blood and Tissue Unit, Therapeutic Goods Administration, Woden ACT, Australia
Transfusion 47:529-39. 2007
..Such estimates are an essential prerequisite to monitoring and improving transfusion safety as well as supporting evidence based assessment of the value of implementing new screening interventions...
- Cytokines, autoantibodies and viral antibodies in premorbid and postdiagnostic sera from patients with rheumatoid arthritis: case-control study nested in a cohort of Norwegian blood donors
K T Jørgensen
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, 5 Artillerivej, DK 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Rheum Dis 67:860-6. 2008
..To assess the timing of changes in cytokines, cytokine-related markers, autoantibodies and viral antibodies in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- A new ELISA kit which uses a combination of Plasmodium falciparum extract and recombinant Plasmodium vivax antigens as an alternative to IFAT for detection of malaria antibodies
Institut de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Tropicale, 3 Rue Koeberle, 67000 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Malar J 6:19. 2007
..This new ELISA kit, the ELISA malaria antibody test (DiaMed), uses a combination of crude soluble Plasmodium falciparum extract and recombinant Plasmodium vivax antigens...
- Reduced numbers of plasmacytoid dendritic cells in aged blood donors
Laboratory of Immunobiology for Research and Applications to Diagnosis, Blood and Tissue Bank, Department of Cell Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Institut Investigació Germans Trias i Pujol, 08916 Badalona, Spain
Exp Gerontol 42:1033-8. 2007
..Here, using a two-tube platform approach, peripheral blood DCs have been enumerated in samples from healthy blood donors aged 18-65 years old...
- Seroprevalence of human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B and C viruses and syphilis among blood donors in Koudougou (Burkina Faso) in 2009
Marius Bolni Nagalo
National Blood Transfusion Centre CNTS, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Blood Transfus 9:419-24. 2011
..This study was undertaken with the aim of determining the seroprevalence of HIV, HCV, HBV, syphilis and socio-demographic risk factors associated with blood donation in a new regional blood transfusion centre in Burkina Faso...
- HIV genotypes and primary drug resistance among HIV-seropositive blood donors in Brazil: role of infected blood donors as sentinel populations for molecular surveillance of HIV
Cecília S Alencar
Department of Infectious Disease, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 63:387-92. 2013
There are few surveillance studies analyzing genotypes or primary (transmitted) drug resistance in HIV-infected blood donors in Brazil...
- Dengue viremia in blood donors from Honduras, Brazil, and Australia
Jeffrey M Linnen
Gen Probe, Inc, San Diego, California, USA
Transfusion 48:1355-62. 2008
..Documented transfusion transmission of West Nile virus raised concern regarding transfusion-transmitted DENV...
- Increased all-cause, liver, and cardiac mortality among hepatitis C virus-seropositive blood donors
Anne M Guiltinan
Blood Systems Research Institute, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Am J Epidemiol 167:743-50. 2008
..cohort study of 10,259 recombinant immunoblot assay-confirmed, HCV antibody-positive (HCV+), allogeneic blood donors from 1991 to 2002 and 10,259 HCV antibody-negative (HCV-) donors matched for year of donation, age, gender, and ..
- Prevalence of hepatitis E virus in Chinese blood donors
Qing Shun Guo
National Institute of Diagnostics and Vaccine Development in Infectious Diseases, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
J Clin Microbiol 48:317-8. 2010
A point prevalence study of hepatitis E virus (HEV) in Chinese blood donors was conducted, and the prevalences of antibodies against HEV immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM among Chinese blood donors were 32.60% and 0.94%, respectively...
- Phenotype frequencies of blood group systems (Rh, Kell, Kidd, Duffy, MNS, P, Lewis, and Lutheran) in north Indian blood donors
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Transfus Apher Sci 43:17-22. 2010
We here report the first study of antigen and phenotype frequencies of various blood group systems by gel technology in north Indian blood donors.
- Iron deficiency in blood donors: analysis of enrollment data from the REDS-II Donor Iron Status Evaluation (RISE) study
Ritchard G Cable
New England Region, American Red Cross Blood Services, Farmington, Connecticut 06032 USA
Transfusion 51:511-22. 2011
Regular blood donors are at risk of iron deficiency, but characteristics that predispose to this condition are poorly defined.
- Modelling antecedents of blood donation motivation among non-donors of varying age and education
K P H Lemmens
Department of Work and Social Psychology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Psychol 100:71-90. 2009
..combined data set found no age or education moderation effects, suggesting that this core model of donation-specific cognitions can be used to inform future practical interventions recruiting new blood donors in the general population.
- Dengue viremia in blood donors identified by RNA and detection of dengue transfusion transmission during the 2007 dengue outbreak in Puerto Rico
Susan L Stramer
Scientific Support Office, American Red Cross, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877, USA
Transfusion 52:1657-66. 2012
..In 2007, a total of 10,508 suspected dengue cases were reported in Puerto Rico. Blood donations were tested for dengue virus (DENV) RNA and recipients of RNA-positive donations traced to assess transfusion transmission...
- A preliminary study of the distribution of blood group systems in Thai blood donors determined by the gel test
Department of Pathology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:204-7. 2001
Two hundred blood samples obtained from volunteer blood donors at the Blood Bank, Army Institute of Pathology were studied for red cell groupings in the ABO, Rh, MNSs, Duffy, Lewis. P. Kell, Lutheran and Kidd Systems...
- T-cell responses and previous exposure to hepatitis C virus in indeterminate blood donors
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 365:327-9. 2005
b>Blood donors are routinely screened for hepatitis C virus infection. Some individuals have weak or restricted virus-specific antibody responses, and are classed as indeterminate...
- Prevalence of IgG antibodies specific to Toxoplasma gondii among blood donors in Recife, Northeast Brazil
Raquel A L Coêlho
Laboratório de Imunopatologia Keizo Asami and Departamento de Bioquímica, Unviersidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 45:229-31. 2003
A serological survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection in blood donors was carried out in order to identify seroprevalence in Recife, Brazil...
- The value of routine ferritin measurement in blood donors
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Transfusion 51:2183-8. 2011
..Early recognition and reversal of excessive iron loss may avoid symptomatic iron store depletion in blood donors and reduce volunteer loss due to iron deficiency (ID) anemia.
- Serum hepcidin as a diagnostic test of iron deficiency in premenopausal female blood donors
Sant Rayn Pasricha
Australian Red Cross Blood Service, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Haematologica 96:1099-105. 2011
..Currently used indicators of iron status have limitations. Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism, is reduced in iron deficiency. We sought to determine the properties of hepcidin as a diagnostic test of iron deficiency...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis C virus antibodies among blood donors in Alexandria, Egypt
O A S Wasfi
Department of Microbiology, High Institute of Public Health, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 17:238-42. 2011
..8%). The rates were lower than previous studies in Egypt, perhaps due to predonation screening which excludes those known to be at high risk of contracting bloodborne infections or who had other contraindications to blood donation...
- Transfusion in sub-Saharan Africa: does a Western model fit?
Stephen P Field
Welsh Blood Service, Pontyclun, Wales, UK
J Clin Pathol 60:1073-5. 2007
..argument for and against the Western model of a centralised blood service with 100% voluntary non-remunerated blood donors as advocated by the World Health Organization...
- The risk of transfusion-transmitted infections in sub-Saharan Africa
Department of Surgery and Global Health Sciences, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Transfusion 50:433-42. 2010
..This study estimates the risks of acquiring human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), or hepatitis C virus (HCV) from a single unit of blood in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Prevalence and screening costs of hepatitis C virus among Ugandan blood donors
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 11:951-4. 2006
..However, in many African countries little is known about HCV prevalence or cost-effectiveness of HCV antibody (anti-HCV) screening...
- High prevalence of antibodies against polyomavirus WU, polyomavirus KI, and human bocavirus in German blood donors
Institute of Virology and Immunobiology, University of Wurzburg, Versbacher Str 7, 97078 Wurzburg, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 10:215. 2010
..Our aim was to establish virus-specific serological assays and to determine the prevalence of immunoglobulin G (IgG) against these three viruses in the general population...
- Seroprevalence and molecular epidemiology of human T-Cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) and HTLV-2 in blood donors from Dakar, Senegal
Unité d Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes, Département Ecosytèmes et Epidémiologie des Maladies Infectieuses, Batiment Lwoff, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris, Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 44:1550-4. 2006
In 2002, human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) and HTLV-2 seroprevalence was 0.16% (8/4,900) in blood donors from Dakar, Senegal. Most of the positive donors originated from the country's southern region...
- Anti-HBc & HBV-DNA detection in blood donors negative for hepatitis B virus surface antigen in reducing risk of transfusion associated HBV infection
Clinical Virology Section, Organ Transplant Research Center, Namazi Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Indian J Med Res 123:37-42. 2006
..prevalence of anti-hepatitis B core (anti-HBc) positivity and presence of HBV-DNA in serum sample of healthy blood donors negative for both HBsAg and anti-HCV antibody in Shiraz, Iran...
- Malaria and blood transfusion
A D Kitchen
National Blood Service, London, UK
Vox Sang 90:77-84. 2006
..Nonetheless, no matter what strategy is adopted, it is likely that cases of transfusion-transmitted malaria may still occur, so malaria must always be considered in any patient with a febrile illness post-transfusion...
- Human papillomavirus DNA detected in peripheral blood samples from healthy Australian male blood donors
Alice Che Ha Chen
The University of Queensland, Diamantina Institute for Cancer, Immunology and Metabolic Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Med Virol 81:1792-6. 2009
..In light of these findings, DNA extracted from PBMCs from healthy blood donors were examined in order to determine how common HPV DNA is in blood of healthy individuals...
- Increased levels of C-reactive protein in serum from blood donors before the onset of rheumatoid arthritis
Markus M J Nielen
Jan van Breemen Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 50:2423-7. 2004
..In this study, the presence of serologic signs of inflammation in patients with preclinical RA was investigated with serial measurements of C-reactive protein (CRP)...
- New trends of HCV infection in China revealed by genetic analysis of viral sequences determined from first-time volunteer blood donors
Guangzhou Blood Center, Guangzhou, China
J Viral Hepat 18:42-52. 2011
Recently, we studied hepatitis C virus (HCV) sera-prevalence among 559 890 first-time volunteer blood donors in China. From randomly selected 450 anti-HCV positive donors, we detected HCV RNA in 270 donors...
- Trends in antiretroviral drug resistance and clade distributions among HIV-1--infected blood donors in Sao Paulo, Brazil
Claudia C Barreto
Fundação Pró Sangue Hemocentro de São Paulo, Av Dr Enéas de Carvalho Aguilar, 15505403 000 Saõ Paulo, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:338-41. 2006
We analyzed rates of drug resistance mutations in antiretroviral-naive São Paulo blood donors with recently acquired or established HIV-1 infections and characterized clade diversity in this population.
- Seroprevalence of six different viruses among pregnant women and blood donors in rural and urban Burkina Faso: A comparative analysis
Abteilung Virologie, Universitaetsklinikum Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Med Virol 78:683-92. 2006
..human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV), human herpesvirus type 8 (HHV-8), and dengue virus among pregnant women and blood donors from rural (Nouna) and urban (Ouagadougou) Burkina Faso, West Africa...
- Temporal trends in hepatitis B and C infection in family blood donors from interior Sindh, Pakistan
Syed Abdul Mujeeb
Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Infect Dis 8:43. 2008
..Pakistan has no active surveillance program to monitor trends of these infections. The objective of this study was to verify this trend in blood donors from the rural Sindh area of the country.
- Italian blood donors with anti-HBc and occult hepatitis B virus infection
Banca del Sangue e del Plasma, A O S Giovanni Battista di Torino, Corso Bramante 88, 10126 Torino, Italy
Haematologica 92:1664-70. 2007
..The aim of our study was to evaluate the actual prevalence, viral load and genotype of occult HBV infections among first-time blood donors in north-western Italy and to suggest a way to minimize risks of transmission of this infection.
- Occult hepatitis B virus infection
Jean Pierre Allain
Division of Transfusion Medicine, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge Blood Centre, Long Road, Cambridge CR2 2PT, UK
Transfus Clin Biol 11:18-25. 2004
..It also depends on the prevalence of HBV infection in the population. Occult HBV in blood donors has a wide range of potential origins within the natural history of the infection...
- Prevalence of hepatitis E virus infection among hemodialysis patients in Japan: evidence for infection with a genotype 3 HEV by blood transfusion
Masuko Memorial Hospital and Masuko Institute for Medical Research, Aichi Ken, Japan
J Med Virol 74:563-72. 2004
..Our study provides evidence of transfusion-transmitted HEV infection in Japan in 1979, and that the prevalence of de novo HEV infection during hemodialysis was low (1.1% or 4/374)...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C serological markers among first-time blood donors in Brazil: a multi-center serosurvey
Maria Claudia Nascimento
Laboratório de Virologia do Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Departamento de Moléstias Infecciosas e Parasitárias da Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Med Virol 80:53-7. 2008
..A multi-center serosurvey was conducted among 3,598 first-time blood donors (65% men) from Sao Paulo, Salvador and Manaus in Brazil...
- Prevalence of antibodies to hepatitis E virus in veterinarians working with swine and in normal blood donors in the United States and other countries
X J Meng
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061 0342, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:117-22. 2002
..S. swine veterinarians) and 400 normal U.S. blood donors for immunoglobulin G anti-HEV. Recombinant capsid antigens from a U.S...
- Frequency of HBV DNA detection in US blood donors testing positive for the presence of anti-HBc: implications for transfusion transmission and donor screening
Steven H Kleinman
Westat, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Transfusion 43:696-704. 2003
..An estimate of the rate of HBV DNA-positive, anti-HBc-positive units is important for evaluating the need for anti-HBc donor screening, especially in the context of HBV NAT...
- Toward an understanding of transfusion-related acute lung injury: statement of a consensus panel
Kleinman Biomedical Research, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Transfusion 44:1774-89. 2004
- Blood banking in China
Division of Blood Transfusion, HIV Specialty Testing Laboratory, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Lancet 360:1770-5. 2002
..Traditional cultural barriers need to be overcome to successfully mobilise volunteer blood donors. Gaps in information and technology still need to be closed...
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infections and distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes among Korean blood donors
Deok Ja Oh
Central Blood Laboratory Center, Korean Red Cross, Seoul, Korea
Ann Lab Med 32:210-5. 2012
..Prevalence rates vary and the distribution of genotypes depends on geographical location. Here, the recent prevalence of HCV infections and distribution of HCV genotypes among Korean blood donors were studied.
- Seroprevalence of West Nile virus-specific antibodies in a cohort of blood donors in northeastern Italy
Operative Unit of Clinical Microbiology, Regional Reference Centre for Microbiological Emergencies CRREM, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 11:1605-7. 2011
..WNV) were measured in 20,033 serum samples that were obtained between October 2008 to September 2009 from 9913 blood donors in the district of Ferrara, northeastern Italy...
- Standardization of a very specific and sensitive single PCR for detection of Plasmodium vivax in low parasitized individuals and its usefulness for screening blood donors
Katia Luz Torres
Department of Immunology, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, Rio de Janeiro, 22045 900, Brazil
Parasitol Res 98:519-24. 2006
..We conclude that PCR is the method of choice for low-parasitized individuals and could therefore represent a complementary tool to safely rescue blood donor candidates considered unsuitable on the basis of malaria history...
- Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii antibodies in blood donors in Ankara, Central Anatolia, Turkey
Refik Saydam National Hygiene Center, Department of Communicable Diseases, Bacterial Zoonoses Research Laboratory, Cemal Gursel Str 18, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
New Microbiol 31:527-34. 2008
The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of Coxiella burnetii antibodies among blood donors and to examine the epidemiological characteristics of C. bumetii infection in Ankara, Turkey...
- Prevalence and risk factors of hepatitis B and C virus infections among the general population and blood donors in Morocco
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Medical Biology, Pasteur Institute of Morocco, 1 Place Louis Pasteur, Casablanca 20360, Morocco
BMC Public Health 13:50. 2013
..This cross-sectional study was undertaken with the aim of determining the seroprevalence and risk factors of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) among the general population and among blood donors.
- Analysis of cost and effectiveness of pre-transfusion screening of donor blood and anti-malarial prophylaxis for recipients
J A Rajab
Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, College of Health Sciences, University of Nairobi P O Box 19676, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 82:565-71. 2005
- Hepatitis C virus prevalence and clearance among US blood donors, 2006-2007: associations with birth cohort, multiple pregnancies, and body mass index
Edward L Murphy
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Infect Dis 202:576-84. 2010
During the period 1992-1993, the prevalence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) antibodies (anti-HCV) among US blood donors was 0.36%, but contemporary data on the prevalence of antibody to HCV and the prevalence of HCV RNA are lacking.
- Hepatitis E virus infection in Ghanaian blood donors - the importance of immunoassay selection and confirmation
B H M Meldal
Division of Transfusion Medicine and Diagnostic Development, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge Blood Centre, Cambridge, UK
Vox Sang 104:30-6. 2013
..On the basis of seroprevalence data, HEV is endemic in Ghana where poor sanitary conditions and regular flooding are prevalent. However, no data are available for HEV prevalence in blood donors.
- Seroprevalence of HIV, HBV, HCV and syphilis infections among blood donors at Gondar University Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia: declining trends over a period of five years
Department of Medical Laboratory Technology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia
BMC Infect Dis 10:111. 2010
..This study aimed to determine the seroprevalence, risk factors and trends of HIV, HBV, HCV and syphilis infections among blood donors over a period of five years at Gondar University Teaching Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia.
- Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and recombination between HBV genotypes D and E in asymptomatic blood donors from Khartoum, Sudan
Laboratory of Virology, Department of Health, Khartoum, Sudan
J Clin Microbiol 49:298-306. 2011
Sudan is a highly endemic area for hepatitis B virus (HBV), and >5% of blood donors are chronically infected...
- Blood donors in Kenya: a comparison of voluntary and family replacement donors based on a population-based survey
Global AIDS Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
Vox Sang 100:212-8. 2011
..We analysed data from a national AIDS indicator survey to describe blood donors in Kenya and potential risks of transfusion transmissible infections (TTI) comparing voluntary donors and FRD.
- European strategies against the parasite transfusion risk
H W Reesink
Sanquin Blood Bank North West Region, Sanquin Diagnostic Services, P O Box 9137, NL 1006 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Transfus Clin Biol 12:1-4. 2005
..More research is needed to establish the theoretical risk of TT-T. cruzi and TT-Leishmania infection in Europe, before preventive measures may be considered...
- Predictors of iron levels in 14,737 Danish blood donors: results from the Danish Blood Donor Study
Andreas Stribolt Rigas
Department of Clinical Immunology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Transfusion 54:789-96. 2014
..However, the impact of dietary factors on the iron stores of blood donors, whose iron status is affected by blood donations, is incompletely understood.
- Prevalence, clinical staging and risk for blood-borne transmission of Chagas disease among Latin American migrants in Geneva, Switzerland
Division of Primary Care Medicine, Department of Community Medicine and Primary Care, University Hospitals of Geneva and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e592. 2010
..We assessed the prevalence and risk factors for Chagas disease, staged the disease and evaluated attitudes towards blood transfusion and organ transplant among Latin American migrants in Geneva, Switzerland...
- Controversies in hybrid banking: attitudes of Swiss public umbilical cord blood donors toward private and public banking
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Arch Gynecol Obstet 284:99-104. 2011
..In the face of the limited resources of public inventories, a discussion on "hybrid" public and private UCB banking has evolved. We aimed to explore the attitudes of the donating parents toward public and private UCB banking...
- High prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection and genotype distribution among general population, blood donors and risk groups
Mohammed N Khaja
Center for Liver Research and Diagnostics, Deccan College of Medical Sciences and Allied Hospitals, Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad 500056, Andhra Pradesh, India
Infect Genet Evol 6:198-204. 2006
..4% of the patients. Our findings suggest that HCV may be the major cause of post-transplant hepatitis in Indian patients with CRF and indicate the necessity for stringent screening procedures for these viral infections...
- TT virus among blood donors in Alexandria
Mona H Hashish
Department of Microbiology, High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 80:651-64. 2005
..In our study, we tested ninety five blood donors attending Kom EL-Decka regional blood bank in Alexandria for the presence of TTV DNA in their sera by PCR ..