Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons who have experienced a prolonged survival after serious disease or who continue to live with a usually life-threatening condition as well as family members, significant others, or individuals surviving traumatic life events.
Publications335 found, 100 shown here
- Quality of life and satisfaction with outcome among prostate-cancer survivorsMartin G Sanda
Departments of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1250-61. 2008....
- Solid cancer incidence in atomic bomb survivors: 1958-1998D L Preston
Hirosoft International, Eureka, California, USA
Radiat Res 168:1-64. 2007..or blood-forming organs) among members of the Life Span Study (LSS) cohort of Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb survivors. The analyses were based on 17,448 first primary cancers (including non-melanoma skin cancer) diagnosed from ..
- Controlled trial of psychotherapy for Congolese survivors of sexual violenceJudith K Bass
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
N Engl J Med 368:2182-91. 2013b>Survivors of sexual violence have high rates of depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Chronic dialysis and death among survivors of acute kidney injury requiring dialysisRon Wald
Division of Nephrology, St Michael s Hospital, 61 Queen St East, 9 140, Toronto, ON M5C 2T2, Canada
JAMA 302:1179-85. 2009..Severe acute kidney injury among hospitalized patients often necessitates initiation of short-term dialysis. Little is known about the long-term outcome of those who survive to hospital discharge...
- An update of controlled physical activity trials in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysisRebecca M Speck
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Cancer Surviv 4:87-100. 2010Approximately 11.1 million cancer survivors are alive in the United States. Activity prescriptions for cancer survivors rely on evidence as to whether exercise during or after treatment results in improved health outcomes...
- Long-term cognitive impairment and functional disability among survivors of severe sepsisTheodore J Iwashyna
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
JAMA 304:1787-94. 2010..Although the incidence of severe sepsis is high and increasing, the magnitude of patients' long-term cognitive and functional limitations after sepsis is unknown...
- Riding the crest of the teachable moment: promoting long-term health after the diagnosis of cancerWendy Demark-Wahnefried
Program of Cancer Preventive, Detection and Control Research, Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:5814-30. 2005Cancer survivors are at increased risk for several comorbid conditions, and many seek lifestyle change to reduce dysfunction and improve long-term health...
- Cancer prevalence in the United Kingdom: estimates for 2008J Maddams
Kings College London, Thames Cancer Registry, 1st Floor Capital House, 42 Weston St, London SE1 3QD, UK
Br J Cancer 101:541-7. 2009Identifying and addressing the requirements of cancer survivors is currently a high priority for the NHS, yet little is known about the population of cancer survivors in the United Kingdom.
- Polymorphisms in Toll-like receptors 2, 4, and 9 are highly associated with hearing loss in survivors of bacterial meningitisGijs Th J van Well
Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Immunology and Rheumatology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e35837. 2012..Eleven SNPs in seven genes (TLR2, TLR4, TLR9, NOD1, NOD2, CASP1, and TRAIL) were genotyped in 393 survivors of childhood bacterial meningitis (BM) (327 MM patients and 66 PM patients)...
- Developing a new perspective to study the health of survivors of Sichuan earthquakes in China: a study on the effect of post-earthquake rescue policies on survivors' health-related quality of lifeYing Liang
Department of Social Work and Social Policy, School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210023, People s Republic of China
Health Res Policy Syst 11:41. 2013..Therefore, this study develops a new perspective to study the health of earthquake survivors, based on the effect of post-earthquake rescue policies on health-related quality of life (HRQOL) of survivors ..
- Psychological distress in long-term survivors of adult-onset cancer: results from a national surveyKaren E Hoffman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1274-81. 2009As advances in cancer screening and treatment increase the number of long-term cancer survivors, it is important to understand the long-term psychological sequelae of the cancer experience.
- Sleep complaints as early predictors of posttraumatic stress disorder: a 1-year prospective study of injured survivors of motor vehicle accidentsDanny Koren
Department of Psychiatry, Rambam Medical Center, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Am J Psychiatry 159:855-7. 2002..The causal relationship between sleep complaints and PTSD is unclear...
- Studies of mortality of atomic bomb survivors. Report 13: Solid cancer and noncancer disease mortality: 1950-1997Dale L Preston
Department of Statistics, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima, Japan
Radiat Res 160:381-407. 2003This continues the series of general reports on mortality in the cohort of atomic bomb survivors followed up by the Radiation Effects Research Foundation...
- Long-term survivors of gastric cancer: a California population-based studyPamela L Kunz
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford Cancer Center, 875 Blake Wilbur Dr, Stanford, CA 94025 5826, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:3507-15. 2012..In the United States, gastric cancer is rapidly fatal with a 25% 5-year survival. Of the few patients who survive, little is known about their demographic, clinical, and tumor characteristics...
- Predicting exercise adherence in cancer patients and survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of motivational and behavioural factorsAnne M Lunde Husebø
Department of Health Studies, University of Stavanger and Research Department, Stavanger University Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
J Clin Nurs 22:4-21. 2013..To examine research findings regarding predictors of adherence to exercise programmes in cancer populations...
- Antimullerian hormone and inhibin B are hormone measures of ovarian function in late reproductive-aged breast cancer survivorsH Irene Su
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer 116:592-9. 2010In late reproductive-aged breast cancer survivors, there is a need for real-time biomarkers of postchemotherapy ovarian function. The objective was to determine whether antimullerian hormone (AMH) and inhibin B are such biomarkers...
- Persistent cognitive impairment, hippocampal atrophy and EEG changes in sepsis survivorsAlexander Semmler
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 84:62-9. 2013....
- Alterations in upper limb muscle synergy structure in chronic stroke survivorsJinsook Roh
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Neurophysiol 109:768-81. 2013..Arm function in severely impaired stroke survivors is characterized by stereotypical postural and movement patterns involving the shoulder and elbow...
- Genetic markers for PTSD risk and resilience among survivors of the World Trade Center attacksCasey Sarapas
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Dis Markers 30:101-10. 2011We have previously reported the differential expression of 17 probe sets in survivors of the 9/11 attacks with current posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) compared to similarly exposed survivors with no lifetime PTSD...
- Cancer survivors' adherence to lifestyle behavior recommendations and associations with health-related quality of life: results from the American Cancer Society's SCS-IIChristopher M Blanchard
Dalhousie University, Department of Medicine, QEII Health Sciences Centre, Centre for Clinical Research, 5790 University Ave, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 1V7, Canada
J Clin Oncol 26:2198-204. 2008..To examine the prevalence and clustering of physical activity (PA), fruit and vegetable consumption (5-A-Day), and smoking across six major cancer survivor groups and to identify any associations with health-related quality of life (HRQoL)...
- Decreased adult height in survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyEric J Chow
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Pediatr 150:370-5, 375.e1. 2007To determine risk factors associated with reduced adult height in survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Factors influencing stroke survivors' quality of life during subacute recoveryDeborah S Nichols-Larsen
School of Allied Medical Professions, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Stroke 36:1480-4. 2005..This study examined the relationship of individual and clinical characteristics to HRQOL in stroke survivors with mild to moderate stroke during subacute recovery.
- 60,000 disaster victims speak: Part I. An empirical review of the empirical literature, 1981-2001Fran H Norris
Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Psychiatry 65:207-39. 2002..Among youth, family factors were primary. Implications of the research for clinical practice and community intervention are discussed in a companion article (Norris, Friedman, and Watson, this volume)...
- Lymphedema after gynecological cancer treatment : prevalence, correlates, and supportive care needsVanessa Beesley
Queensland University of Technology, School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Brisbane, Australia
Cancer 109:2607-14. 2007Few studies have evaluated lymphedema after gynecological cancer treatment. The aim of this research was to establish prevalence, correlates, and supportive care needs of gynecological cancer survivors who develop lymphedema.
- Interventions for depression symptoms among adolescent survivors of war and displacement in northern Uganda: a randomized controlled trialPaul Bolton
Applied Mental Health Research Group, Center for International Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
JAMA 298:519-27. 2007..Prior qualitative work with internally displaced persons in war-affected northern Uganda showed significant mental health and psychosocial problems...
- Posttraumatic stress symptoms in adolescent survivors of childhood cancer and their mothersRonald T Brown
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Trauma Stress 16:309-18. 2003We examined symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in adolescent survivors of childhood cancer and their mothers and the contribution of family functioning, including perceived emotional support and familial conflict, and ..
- Mental health and quality of life survey among child survivors of the 2008 Sichuan earthquakeZhaobao Jia
Faculty of Health Service, Second Military Medical University, 200433, Shanghai, China
Qual Life Res 19:1381-91. 2010To characterize child survivors' mental health and quality of life after a massive earthquake.
- Controlled physical activity trials in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysisKathryn H Schmitz
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, 423 Guardian Drive, 9th Floor Blockley Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19072, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1588-95. 2005Approximately 9.8 million cancer survivors are alive in the United States today...
- Long-term solid cancer risk among 5-year survivors of Hodgkin's lymphomaDavid C Hodgson
Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, and the Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto, Canada
J Clin Oncol 25:1489-97. 2007Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) survivors are known to be at substantially increased risk of solid cancers (SC)...
- Obesity in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyKevin C Oeffinger
Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 753900 9067, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1359-65. 2003To determine whether adult survivors (>or= 18 years of age) of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) are at increased risk for obesity and to assess patient and treatment variables that influence risk.
- A population-based estimate of the prevalence of behavioral risk factors among adult cancer survivors and noncancer controlsElliot J Coups
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Prev Med 40:702-11. 2005Behavioral risk factors have significant biomedical and psychosocial effects for cancer survivors. Representative data on the prevalence of a wide range of behavioral risk factors among cancer survivors are lacking.
- Quality of life, fertility concerns, and behavioral health outcomes in younger breast cancer survivors: a systematic reviewJessica Howard-Anderson
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6900, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:386-405. 2012..review, we examined three key domains of functioning that are particularly relevant for younger breast cancer survivors: health-related quality of life (QOL), menopausal symptoms and fertility concerns, and behavioral health outcomes...
- Physical activity for cancer survivors: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsDaniel Y T Fong
School of Nursing, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, China
BMJ 344:e70. 2012..To systematically evaluate the effects of physical activity in adult patients after completion of main treatment related to cancer...
- Adherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy among breast cancer survivors in clinical practice: a systematic reviewCaitlin C Murphy
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, The University of Texas School of Public Health, 7000 Fannin, Suite 2556B, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 134:459-78. 2012..Despite the proven clinical efficacy of tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors, many breast cancer survivors either fail to take the correct dosage at the prescribed frequency (adherence) or discontinue therapy (..
- Reliability (inter-rater agreement) of the Barthel Index for assessment of stroke survivors: systematic review and meta-analysisLaura Duffy
Department of Academic Geriatric Medicine, Walton Building, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, G4 0SF United Kingdom
Stroke 44:462-8. 2013..We sought to describe the reliability (interobserver variability) of standard BI in stroke cohorts using systematic review and meta-analysis of published studies...
- Web-based tailored education program for disease-free cancer survivors with cancer-related fatigue: a randomized controlled trialYoung Ho Yun
National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
J Clin Oncol 30:1296-303. 2012To determine whether an Internet-based tailored education program is effective for disease-free cancer survivors with cancer-related fatigue (CRF).
- Epidemiology of breast cancer subtypes in two prospective cohort studies of breast cancer survivorsMarilyn L Kwan
Kaiser Permanente, Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Breast Cancer Res 11:R31. 2009....
- Adolescents with perinatally acquired HIV: emerging behavioral and health needs for long-term survivorsLinda J Koenig
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mailstop D 27, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 23:321-7. 2011..Further, as these youths have entered adolescence, more is known about the impact of normative developmental transitions on health maintenance behaviors...
- Late effects of high-dose adjuvant chemotherapy on white and gray matter in breast cancer survivors: converging results from multimodal magnetic resonance imagingMichiel B de Ruiter
Department of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 33:2971-83. 2012..gt;9 years) effects of adjuvant high-dose chemotherapy on brain white and gray matter in primary breast cancer survivors (n = 17) with multimodal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Exercise effects on depressive symptoms in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysisLynette L Craft
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 680 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 21:3-19. 2012..Depression is a distressing side effect of cancer and its treatment. In the general population, exercise is an effective antidepressant...
- Association between long-term neuro-toxicities in testicular cancer survivors and polymorphisms in glutathione-s-transferase-P1 and -M1, a retrospective cross sectional studyJan Oldenburg
Department of Clinical Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radiumhospital, Oslo, Norway
J Transl Med 5:70. 2007To assess the impact of polymorphisms in Glutathione S-transferase (GST) -P1, -M1, and -T1 on self-reported chemotherapy-induced long-term toxicities in testicular cancer survivors (TCSs).
- Symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder among adult survivors three months after the Sichuan earthquake in ChinaLi Wang
Key Laboratory of Mental Health, and the Psychological Crisis Intervention Center, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
J Trauma Stress 22:444-50. 2009..study investigated the symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and associated risk factors among adult survivors 3 months after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China...
- Cardiovascular risk factors and morbidity in long-term survivors of testicular cancer: a 20-year follow-up studyHege S Haugnes
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
J Clin Oncol 28:4649-57. 2010To evaluate the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors and long-term incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in survivors of testicular cancer (TC).
- Exercise interventions on health-related quality of life for cancer survivorsShiraz I Mishra
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 8:CD007566. 2012Cancer survivors experience numerous disease and treatment-related adverse outcomes and poorer health-related quality of life (HRQoL). Exercise interventions are hypothesized to alleviate these adverse outcomes...
- Psychological distress among Bam earthquake survivors in Iran: a population-based studyAli Montazeri
Department of Social Medicine, Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research, Tehran, Iran
BMC Public Health 5:4. 2005..A study was carried out to assess psychological distress among Bam earthquake survivors and factors associated with severe mental health in those who survived the tragedy.
- Development and validation of an abbreviated version of the expanded prostate cancer index composite instrument for measuring health-related quality of life among prostate cancer survivorsKonrad M Szymanski
Division of Urology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Urology 76:1245-50. 2010..To facilitate HRQOL measurement in a broad range of prostate cancer research and practice settings, we developed and validated an abbreviated version of the EPIC...
- Young adult cancer survivors' psychosocial well-being: a cross-sectional study assessing quality of life, unmet needs, and health behaviorsAlix Edna Hall
Centre for Health Research and Psycho Oncology CHeRP, Hunter Medical Research Institute and Priority Research Centre for Health Behaviour, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, NSW, 2308, Australia
Support Care Cancer 20:1333-41. 2012This study compared the unmet needs, quality of life, and health behaviors (smoking, alcohol, and physical activity) of young adult cancer survivors to their older counterparts and age-related peers.
- The emerging phenotype of long-term survivors with infantile Pompe diseaseSean N Prater
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Genet Med 14:800-10. 2012Enzyme replacement therapy with alglucosidase alfa for infantile Pompe disease has improved survival creating new management challenges. We describe an emerging phenotype in a retrospective review of long-term survivors.
- Cancer survivors in the United States: prevalence across the survivorship trajectory and implications for careJanet S de Moor
Office of Cancer Survivorship, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute NIH, 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 404, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22:561-70. 2013Cancer survivors represent a growing population, heterogeneous in their need for medical care, psychosocial support, and practical assistance...
- The adult respiratory distress syndrome cognitive outcomes study: long-term neuropsychological function in survivors of acute lung injuryMark E Mikkelsen
Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Division, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 836 W Gates Pavilion, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185:1307-15. 2012..Cognitive and psychiatric morbidity is common and potentially modifiable after acute lung injury (ALI). However, practical measures of neuropsychological function for use in multicenter trials are lacking...
- Randomized controlled pilot trial of yoga in overweight and obese breast cancer survivors: effects on quality of life and anthropometric measuresAlyson J Littman
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, 1100 Olive Way, Metropolitan Park West, Suite 1400, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Support Care Cancer 20:267-77. 2012To obtain estimates of time to recruit the study sample, retention, facility-based class attendance and home practice for a study of yoga in breast cancer survivors, and its efficacy on fatigue, quality of life (QOL), and weight change.
- Four-fold increase in direct costs of stroke survivors with spasticity compared with stroke survivors without spasticity: the first year after the eventErik Lundström
Departments of Neuroscience, Neurology and Rehabilitation Medicine, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Stroke 41:319-24. 2010..The objective of our study was to estimate direct costs of stroke with spasticity for patients surviving up to 1 year after the stroke event in comparison to costs of stroke without spasticity...
- Cancer survivors and unemployment: a meta-analysis and meta-regressionAngela G E M de Boer
Coronel Institute of Occupational Health, Academic Medical Center, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 301:753-62. 2009Nearly half of adult cancer survivors are younger than 65 years, but the association of cancer survivorship with employment status is unknown.
- Morbidity and mortality in long-term survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudySharon M Castellino
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Blood 117:1806-16. 2011..We assessed leading morbidities, overall and cause-specific mortality, and mortality risks among 2742 survivors of HL in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study, a multi-institutional retrospective cohort study of survivors ..
- Efficacy of exercise interventions in modulating cancer-related fatigue among adult cancer survivors: a meta-analysisJustin C Brown
Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, 2095 N Hillside Road, U 1110, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:123-33. 2011..of exercise as a nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce cancer-related fatigue (CRF) among adult cancer survivors. We also investigated how different components of the exercise prescription (Ex R(x)), methodologic ..
- Surveillance of demographic characteristics and health behaviors among adult cancer survivors--Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, United States, 2009J Michael Underwood
CDC, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 61:1-23. 2012..Limited information is available on national and state assessments of health behaviors among cancer survivors. Using data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), this report provides a descriptive ..
- Employment and return to work in head and neck cancer survivorsIrma M Verdonck-de Leeuw
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, VU University Medical Center, 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oral Oncol 46:56-60. 2010To investigate employment in working-age head and neck cancer (HNC) survivors before and after treatment in relation to sociodemographic and clinical factors, health related quality of life, and emotional distress...
- Decreased gray matter volume in the left hippocampus and bilateral calcarine cortex in coal mine flood disaster survivors with recent onset PTSDJian Zhang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710032, China
Psychiatry Res 192:84-90. 2011..In the current study, 20 coal mine flood disaster survivors underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Long-term risks of subsequent primary neoplasms among survivors of childhood cancerRaoul C Reulen
Centre for Childhood Cancer Survivor Studies, School of Health and Population Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
JAMA 305:2311-9. 2011b>Survivors of childhood cancer are at excess risk of developing subsequent primary neoplasms but the long-term risks are uncertain.
- Risk factors of posttraumatic stress disorder among survivors after the 512 Wenchuan earthquake in ChinaYuqing Zhang
Key Laboratory of Behavioral Science, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 6:e22371. 2011This study investigated the psychological reactions of survivors of the 512 Wenchuan earthquake in China and the risk factors associated with those reactions...
- Psychometric properties of cancer survivors' unmet needs surveyH Sharon Campbell
Propel Centre for Population Health Impact, University of Waterloo, Room 1726, Lyle S Hallman Institute North, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
Support Care Cancer 19:221-30. 2010This study aims to develop a psychometrically rigorous instrument to measure the unmet needs of adult cancer survivors who are 1 to 5 years post-cancer diagnosis...
- Subsequent neoplasms in 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyDebra L Friedman
Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:1083-95. 2010The occurrence of subsequent neoplasms has direct impact on the quantity and quality of life in cancer survivors. We have expanded our analysis of these events in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (CCSS) to better understand the ..
- Patterns and risk factors associated with aromatase inhibitor-related arthralgia among breast cancer survivorsJun J Mao
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cancer 115:3631-9. 2009Arthralgia is common in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors (BCS) who are receiving aromatase inhibitors (AIs)...
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Subcommittee on Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention; the Council on CardiovasculaNeil F Gordon
Stroke 35:1230-40. 2004
- RET/PTC rearrangements preferentially occurred in papillary thyroid cancer among atomic bomb survivors exposed to high radiation doseKiyohiro Hamatani
Department of Radiobiology Molecular Epidemiology, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima shi, Hiroshima 732 0815, Japan
Cancer Res 68:7176-82. 2008..on RET/PTC rearrangements and BRAF(V600E) mutation in 71 papillary thyroid cancer cases among atomic bomb survivors (including 21 cases not exposed to atomic bomb radiation), in relation to radiation dose as well as time elapsed ..
- Complementary and alternative therapies among very long-term breast cancer survivorsC L Carpenter
Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 116:387-96. 2009..CAM has mostly been studied in recently diagnosed women; no studies have included survivors 10 years post-diagnosis...
- Measuring quality of life in cancer survivors: a methodological review of existing scalesNancy J M Pearce
Centre for Behavioural Research and Program Evaluation, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont, Canada
Psychooncology 17:629-40. 2008Studies examining quality of life (QoL) in cancer survivors have relied on instruments specific to the cancer patient population.
- A lack of amyloid beta plaques despite persistent accumulation of amyloid beta in axons of long-term survivors of traumatic brain injuryXiao Han Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3320 Smith Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6316, USA
Brain Pathol 19:214-23. 2009..to the plaque pathology noted in short-term cases post TBI, virtually no Abeta plaques were found in long-term survivors. A potential mechanism for Abeta plaque regression was suggested by the post-injury accumulation of an Abeta ..
- Primary health and supportive care needs of long-term cancer survivors: a questionnaire surveySian E Harrison
Department of Primary Health Care, Oxford University, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 29:2091-8. 2011There are 1.2 million long-term cancer survivors in the United Kingdom. Existing research on the health and supportive care needs of these survivors is sparse and inconclusive...
- Lymphedema and quality of life in breast cancer survivors: the Iowa Women's Health StudyRehana L Ahmed
Department of Dermatology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0392, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:5689-96. 2008The impact of lymphedema or related arm symptoms on health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in breast cancer (BrCa) survivors has not been examined using a large population-based cohort.
- Pulmonary complications in survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer. A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyAnn C Mertens
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota Medical School and Cancer Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Cancer 95:2431-41. 2002The Childhood Cancer Survivor Study is a resource that was designed to investigate long-term effects among 5-year survivors of childhood and adolescent malignancies...
- Resilience, reflection, and residual stress in ovarian cancer survivorship: a gynecologic oncology group studyLari B Wenzel
Epidemiology Division, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92697 7555, USA
Psychooncology 11:142-53. 2002..the quality of life (QOL) concerns and survivorship sequelae of long-term (>5 yr) early-stage ovarian cancer survivors accrued through the clinical cooperative Gynecologic Oncology Group...
- Medical assessment of adverse health outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood cancerMaud M Geenen
Late Effects Study Group and Outpatient Clinic Polikliniek Late Effecten Kindertumoren PLEK, Emma Children s Hospital Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
JAMA 297:2705-15. 2007Improved survival of children with cancer has been accompanied by multiple treatment-related complications. However, most studies in survivors of childhood cancer focused on only 1 late effect.
- Longitudinal MRI study of hippocampal volume in trauma survivors with PTSDO Bonne
Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah University Hospital, P.O. Box 12000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Am J Psychiatry 158:1248-51. 2001..The authors prospectively explored whether a reduction in the volume of the hippocampus occurs in recent trauma survivors who develop posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Noncancer disease incidence in atomic bomb survivors, 1958-1998Michiko Yamada
Department of Clinical Studies, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima, Japan
Radiat Res 161:622-32. 2004..028) and for myocardial infarction among survivors exposed at less than 40 years of age (P = 0.049)...
- Cancer mortality in long-term survivors of retinoblastomaT Marees
Department of Ophthalmology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 45:3245-53. 2009This study examined long-term cause-specific mortality among 998 Dutch retinoblastoma survivors, diagnosed from 1862 to 2005, according to follow-up time, treatment and heredity. After a median follow-up of 30...
- Yoga of Awareness program for menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors: results from a randomized trialJames W Carson
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Support Care Cancer 17:1301-9. 2009Breast cancer survivors have limited options for the treatment of hot flashes and related symptoms. Further, therapies widely used to prevent recurrence in survivors, such as tamoxifen, tend to induce or exacerbate menopausal symptoms...
- Randomized controlled trial of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) for survivors of breast cancerCecile A Lengacher
University of South Florida College of Nursing, Tampa, FL 33612 447, USA
Psychooncology 18:1261-72. 2009Considerable morbidity persists among survivors of breast cancer (BC) including high levels of psychological stress, anxiety, depression, fear of recurrence, and physical symptoms including pain, fatigue, and sleep disturbances, and ..
- Health behaviors of cancer survivors: examining opportunities for cancer control interventionKeith M Bellizzi
Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, 6116 Executive Blvd, Suite 404, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8884-93. 2005..the prevalence of health behaviors (smoking, alcohol use, physical activity, and cancer screening) of cancer survivors by age, time since diagnosis, and cancer site...
- Safety and efficacy of weight training in recent breast cancer survivors to alter body composition, insulin, and insulin-like growth factor axis proteinsKathryn H Schmitz
Division of Clinical Epidemiology University of Pennsylvania 423 Guardian Drive, 9th Floor Blockley Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19072 215 898 0901
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1672-80. 2005This randomized controlled trial assessed the safety and effects of twice-weekly weight training among recent breast cancer survivors. Outcomes included body size and biomarkers hypothesized to link exercise and breast cancer risk.
- Posttraumatic stress, nonadherence, and adverse outcome in survivors of a myocardial infarctionEyal Shemesh
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Box 1230, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Psychosom Med 66:521-6. 2004..We conducted a study that sought to determine whether PTSD symptoms post-MI are associated with increased likelihood of cardiovascular readmission and with nonadherence to treatment recommendations...
- An overview of prognostic factors for long-term survivors of breast cancerIsabelle Soerjomataram
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, P O Box 2040, Rotterdam, 3000 CA, The Netherlands
Breast Cancer Res Treat 107:309-30. 2008Numerous studies have examined prognostic factors for survival of breast cancer patients, but relatively few have dealt specifically with 10+-year survivors.
- Cancer survivors information seeking behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancerDeborah K Mayer
Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, United States
Patient Educ Couns 65:342-50. 2007To examine the cancer information seeking behaviors and preferences of cancer survivors.
- Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors: an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Subcommittee on Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention; the Council on CardiovasculaNeil F Gordon
Circulation 109:2031-41. 2004
- A systematic review of web-based interventions for patient empowerment and physical activity in chronic diseases: relevance for cancer survivorsWilma Kuijpers
Netherlands Cancer Institute, Division of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, Amsterdam, Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 15:e37. 2013..While interactive Web-based interventions are increasingly used in various chronic disease settings to enhance empowerment and physical activity, such interventions are still uncommon for cancer survivors.
- The neurobiological role of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in recovery from trauma. Longitudinal brain imaging study among survivors of the South Korean subway disasterIn Kyoon Lyoo
Department of Psychiatry and Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience, Seoul National University College of Medicine and College of Natural Sciences, 28 Yongon Dong, Jongno gu, 110 744 Seoul, South Korea
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:701-13. 2011A multiwave longitudinal neuroimaging study in a cohort of direct survivors of a South Korean subway disaster, most of whom recovered from posttraumatic stress disorder 5 years after trauma, provided a unique opportunity to investigate ..
- Cancer survivors: a booming populationCarla Parry
Office of Cancer Survivorship, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:1996-2005. 2011..For this inaugural year, we focus on the confluence of the growing number of survivors and population aging, and the impact these combined trends will have on cancer survivorship in the future.
- Effects of home-based diet and exercise on functional outcomes among older, overweight long-term cancer survivors: RENEW: a randomized controlled trialMiriam C Morey
Duke University Older Americans Independence Center, and Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
JAMA 301:1883-91. 2009..Cancer survivors are at greater risk for second malignancies, other comorbidities, and accelerated functional decline...
- Late neurocognitive sequelae in survivors of brain tumours in childhoodRaymond K Mulhern
Division of Behavioral Medicine, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Lancet Oncol 5:399-408. 2004..Further efforts to limit neurocognitive sequelae have included design of clinical trials to test the effectiveness of cognitive, behavioural, and pharmacological interventions...
- Risk factors for depression in the survivors of the 1988 earthquake in ArmeniaHaroutune K Armenian
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Urban Health 79:373-82. 2002..The present analyses sought to assess the rate and determinants of depression in adult survivors of the 1988 earthquake in Armenia...
- Effectiveness of behavioral techniques and physical exercise on psychosocial functioning and health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients and survivors--a meta-analysisSaskia F A Duijts
Division of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychooncology 20:115-26. 2011To evaluate the effect of behavioral techniques and physical exercise on psychosocial functioning and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) outcomes in breast cancer patients and survivors.
- Late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: a summary from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyGregory T Armstrong
Department of Epidemiology and Cancer Control, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2328-38. 2009..using the National Death Index and death certificates to characterize the mortality experience of 20,483 survivors, representing 337,334 person-years of observation. A total of 2,821 deaths have occurred as of December 31, 2002...
- Cancer and non-cancer effects in Japanese atomic bomb survivorsM P Little
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College, London W2 1PG, UK
J Radiol Prot 29:A43-59. 2009The survivors of the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki are a general population of all ages and sexes and, because of the wide and well characterised range of doses received, have been used by many scientific committees (..
- Yoga for cancer patients and survivorsJulienne E Bower
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 7076, USA
Cancer Control 12:165-71. 2005Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years to improve physical and emotional well-being. Empirical research on yoga has been ongoing for several decades, including several recent studies conducted with cancer patients and survivors.
- Long-term adjustment of survivors of early-stage breast carcinoma, 20 years after adjuvant chemotherapyAlice B Kornblith
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 98:679-89. 2003The long-term impact of breast carcinoma and its treatment was assessed in 153 breast carcinoma survivors previously treated on a Phase III randomized trial (Cancer and Leukemia Group B [CALGB 7581]) a median of 20 years after entry to ..
- Long-term cause-specific mortality among survivors of childhood cancerRaoul C Reulen
Centre for Childhood Cancer Survivor Studies, School of Health and Population Sciences, Public Health Building, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, England
JAMA 304:172-9. 2010b>Survivors of childhood cancer are at increased risk of premature mortality compared with the general population, but little is known about the long-term risks of specific causes of death, particularly beyond 25 years from diagnosis at ..
- Influence of pre- and postdiagnosis physical activity on mortality in breast cancer survivors: the health, eating, activity, and lifestyle studyMelinda L Irwin
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, P O Box 208034, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3958-64. 2008..To investigate the association between pre- and postdiagnosis physical activity (as well as change in prediagnosis to postdiagnosis physical activity) and mortality among women with breast cancer...
- Employment pathways in a large cohort of adult cancer survivorsPamela Farley Short
Department of Health Policy and Administration, Center for Health Care and Policy Research, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Cancer 103:1292-301. 2005Employment and work-related disability were investigated in a cohort of adult cancer survivors who were working when they were diagnosed from 1997 to 1999 with a variety of cancers...
- Impact of acute stress on human brain microstructure: An MR diffusion study of earthquake survivorsLong Chen
Department of Radiology, Huaxi MR Research Center, Center for Diagnostic Imaging, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, People s Republic of China
Hum Brain Mapp 34:367-73. 2013A characterization of the impact of natural disasters on the brain of survivors is critical for a better understanding of posttraumatic responses and may inform the development of more effective early interventions...
- Longitudinal patterns of psychological distress in adult survivors of childhood cancerT M Brinkman
Department of Epidemiology and Cancer Control, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Br J Cancer 109:1373-81. 2013This study investigated longitudinal patterns of psychological distress in adult survivors of childhood cancer.
- Depression and anxiety in long-term cancer survivors compared with spouses and healthy controls: a systematic review and meta-analysisAlex J Mitchell
Department of Psycho oncology, Leicester Partnership Trust, Leicester, UK
Lancet Oncol 14:721-32. 2013..We assessed whether depression and anxiety are more common in long-term survivors of cancer compared with their spouses and with healthy controls.
- Chymase-Mediated MMP Activation in Ishemia Reperfusion InjuryLOUIS JOSEPH DELL'ITALIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury occurs in a wide spectrum of patients, ranging from survivors of out- of-hospital cardiac arrest to AMI victims and patients undergoing cardiac surgery, and represents a ..
- Bone Deficits and Excess Adiposity after Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantationSogol Mostoufi-Moab; Fiscal Year: 2013..the focus of clinical care has turned to the identification and prevention of treatment-related complications in survivors of childhood HSCT...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the 10 [unreadable] 100 mSv range have been associated with an elevated risk of cancer death in atomic bomb survivors. The low dose screen administered is consonant with a low radiation risk in the 55 [unreadable] 74 year old ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the 10 [unreadable] 100 mSv range have been associated with an elevated risk of cancer death in atomic bomb survivors. The low dose screen administered is consonant with a low radiation risk in the 55 [unreadable] 74 year old ..
- Controlling Radiation Injury by TLR5 AgonistsAndrei V Gudkov; Fiscal Year: 2012..radiation syndrome remains poorly treatable resulting in significant mortality and reduced quality of life for survivors. In preliminary studies it was demonstrated that the bacterial flagellin protein, acting as an NF-?B activating ..
- Twenty-second Annual Fanconi Anemia Research Fund Scientific SymposiumGROVER CARLTON BAGBY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Stem cell transplantation is the treatment of choice for eligible patients with bone marrow failure. Survivors of bone marrow failure ultimately face an extremely high risk of developing squamous cell cancers...
- Cerebral metabolism, EEG, and sleep cycling in critically ill neonatesRenée A Shellhaas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research Plan: Background: Survivors of neonatal seizures are at high risk for neurodevelopmental disability...
- Overcoming Temozolomide Resistance using MGMT-targeting Spherical Nucleic AcidsTIMOTHY L SITA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, in the rare long-term survivors of GBM, 74% of patients were found to have a methylated MGMT promoter region...
- Nitric Oxide Restoration &Heme Detoxification as Adjunctive Therapies for CerebrLEONARDO JOSE DE MOURA CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2012..Even receiving anti-malarial treatment, CM shows a 10-20% mortality rate, and survivors may present sequelae...
- Radiation-Induced Osteoporosis in Women with Cancer: Mechanisms and PreventionTed A Bateman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of those who do survive, 85% will not be walking unaided at one year, and most survivors will never return to pre-fracture quality of life...
- Effect of Lactobacillus GG on gut permeability and microbiome in VLBW neonatesROSE MARIE VISCARDI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mortality remains high and survivors experience significant morbidity including post-surgical short bowel syndrome, poor growth, prolonged ..
- Genetic Susceptibility and Biomarkers of Platinum-related ToxicitiesLois B Travis; Fiscal Year: 2013..to long-term platinum toxicity among a well- characterized clinical cohort of 3,838 testicular cancer survivors (TCS)...
- SARS-CoV Pathogenic Mechanisms in Senescent MiceRalph S Baric; Fiscal Year: 2012..in young and senescent mice, determining if chronic disease manifestations of pulmonary fibrosis occur in survivors. Using immunologic, pathologic and microarray technology, we evaluate host transcription profiles and cytokine ..
- Addressing Psychosocial Disparities in Rural Hispanic Cancer SurvivorsRachel M Ceballos; Fiscal Year: 2013..population by 2050, there will be a need to develop resources that support the growing number of Hispanic cancer survivors. This is particularly true as the psychosocial well-being of Hispanic survivors tends to be significantly lower ..
- Twenty-first Annual Fanconi Anemia Research Fund Scientific SymposiumGrover Bagby; Fiscal Year: 2009..Stem cell transplantation is the treatment of choice for eligible patients with bone marrow failure. Survivors of bone marrow failure ultimately face an extremely high risk of developing squamous cell cancers...
- Model of the Human Testis for Reproductive ToxicologyPAUL JACOB TUREK; Fiscal Year: 2011..in vitro and generate de novo mature sperm for severely infertile, azoospermic men, including cancer survivors. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: More than 87,000 chemicals have been developed and distributed discarded over the past ..
- Metabolic Syndrome and Breast Cancer: Effects of a Combined Exercise InterventionChristina Dieli-Conwright; Fiscal Year: 2013..of an exercise intervention on metabolic syndrome (MetS) risk factors in pre- and postmenopausal breast cancer survivors. The objective is to improve survivorship utilizing an exercise intervention to diminish elevated components of ..
- Antenatal betamethasone for persistent pulmonary hypertension of newbornGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2010..Advances in newborn intensive care have dramatically improved the survival of infants with PPHN. However, survivors of PPHN continue to have increased long-term disabilities...
- RCT of exercise on aromatase inhibitor side effects in breast cancer survivorsMelinda L Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2012..no randomized trial has examined the impact of exercise on arthralgia or bone mass in breast cancer survivors taking AIs...
- Role of VEGF in Perinatal HypertensionSTEVEN HERBERT ABMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..exacerbations, impaired lung function into adulthood, exercise intolerance, and pulmonary hypertension in survivors. BPD is characterized by abnormal lung structure due to an arrest of vascular and alveolar growth, but ..
- Web-based Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) System for Breast Cancer SurvivorsJOHN CHRISTOPHER WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Title: "Web-based Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) System for Breast Cancer Survivors" The issues surrounding the ongoing care, support, and surveillance of breast cancer survivors are described in ..
- Lifestyle and Molecular Factors of Bone Health in Breast Cancer SurvivorsSong Yao; Fiscal Year: 2013..An excess of 13,000 fractures per year has been estimated among postmenopausal survivors compared to their healthy counterparts...
- Ethnic/Racial Variation in Intracerebral Hemorrhage (ERICH)Daniel Woo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Approximately 40-50% of patients who suffer from an ICH will die from the hemorrhage. Of the survivors, the majority are disabled. Thus, ICH is the subtype of stroke with the highest morbidity and mortality rates...
- ENDOGENOUS MODULATION OF COCHLEAR INJURYLeonard P Rybak; Fiscal Year: 2012..Side effects, like ototoxicity compromise the quality of life of cancer survivors. Cisplatin increases formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the cochlea...
- Chemoprevention of Tamoxifen-induced Endometrial cancer by black cohosh and red cBIRGIT MARIA DIETZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..tamoxifen induced endometrial cancer, which is of importance considering the increasing number of breast cancer survivors and women at high risk undergoing tamoxifen treatment...
- Novel bundled mechanical and pharmacological CPR platformAnja Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2012..gt;10,000 more Americans each year from out of hospital cardiac arrest and a similar number of in- hospital survivors based upon the superior blood flow and the ability afforded by eCPR to perform prolonged CPR with normal ..
- Prophage-associated virulence factors in pathogenic Neisseria speciesANNA KARLS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Despite the use of chemotherapeutics, 10-40% of invasive meningococcal infections are fatal and 10-15% of survivors have serious sequelae, including mental retardation and deafness.
- Feasibility and Preliminary Efficacy of Yoga in Head and Neck Cancer SurvivorsSheila H Ridner; Fiscal Year: 2013..HNC, which occurs in younger people and has a better outcome, suggests that increased numbers and younger HNC survivors will need to manage late functional sequella of treatment...
- Tousled kinase contributes to survival of salivary acinar cells against radiationGulshan Sunavala-Dossabhoy; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The introduction of aggressive multi-modality treatments have helped cancer survivors live longer than before...
- Identification of an Epigenetic Risk Marker for PTSDRachel Yehuda; Fiscal Year: 2010..negative feedback inhibition, basal cortisol level and metabolism) will be examined in 120 F2 of Holocaust survivors (grouped by presence or absence of maternal and paternal PTSD) and in 30 subjects with no parental Holocaust ..
- Proinflammatory Biomarkers and Post-Breast CancerLymphedemaMei Rosemary Fu; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Among the 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. more than 40% of them have developed lymphedema (LE)...
- Social Networks &Breast Cancer Prognosis in the Chinese and US Evaluation StudyCandyce H Kroenke; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aims will be addressed in a pooled analysis of 10,239 breast cancer survivors in the Chinese and US Evaluation (CAUSE) Cohort which includes women from the Life After Cancer Epidemiology (..
- MicroRNA-21 in Renal AgingMarkus Bitzer; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): Age (>60yrs) is associated with increased mortality after acute kidney injury (AKI) with survivors being left with chronic kidney disease and on dialysis costing $10 billion per year...
- Biomedical Computing Support of Cancer Control and SurveillanceDAVID RONEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..the NIH for the support of research and education aimed at professionals who deal with cancer patients and survivors. In consultation with the medical and consumer communities, the OCS articulates and coordinates a research ..
- Vaccine Immunotoxin and Radioimmunotherapy of Primary and Metastatic CNS TumorsDarell D Bigner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recurrence after treatment is almost universal and median survival is 15 to 18 months with few long-term survivors. Targeted immunotherapy with monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) or their fragments armed with Astatine 211 or ..
- Chronic kidney disease in survivors of hematopoietic cell transplantSangeeta Hingorani; Fiscal Year: 2012Project Summary Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a common complication in long-term survivors of hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT), occurring in 20-60% of adult and pediatric recipients in multiple studies...
- Impact of exercise on ovarian cancer prognosisMelinda L Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because of advances in therapeutic modalities, the number of ovarian cancer survivors for whom primary goals are to maximize disease-free survival and maintain quality of life (QOL) is growing...
- Genetics of risk of chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity in cancer survivorsPeter Demant; Fiscal Year: 2013..a broad spectrum of markers for assessment of risk of anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity (ACT) in cancer survivors, and a discovery tool for analysis of its pathogenesis in individual patients...
- CRCNS: Computation-Enabled Adaptive Ventilatory Control SystemRanu Jung; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Approximately 270,000 Americans and 20,000 French are survivors of traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI), with 12,000 Americans and 1200 to 2000 French surviving new injuries each year...
- Survivorship: Mentoring and Bridging Primary Care and OncologyKEVIN CHARLES OEFFINGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..5% and 66%, respectively. Currently in the United States, there are over 12 million cancer survivors, representing about 3.8% of the population...
- Reducing Breast Cancer Recurrence with Weight Loss: A Vanguard TrialCheryl L Rock; Fiscal Year: 2013..5 million American women who are now breast cancer survivors. Excess adiposity is a major adverse prognostic factor post-diagnosis for women with both pre- and ..
- Molecular Profiles and Lifestyle Factors in Breast Cancer PrognosisBette J Caan; Fiscal Year: 2013..to breast cancer risk factors and short and long-term prognosis in two ongoing cohort studies of breast cancer survivors (N=4177) being conducted within the Kaiser Permanente of Northern California (KPNC) Medical Care program...
- Virus Clearance from the Central Nervous SystemRodney E Willoughby; Fiscal Year: 2013..The most lethal viral encephalitis is rabies, with few documented survivors of the disease until recently...
- Mental Stress and Myocardial Ischemia after MI: Sex Differences and MechanismsViola Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2013..will evaluate sex differences in the prevalence, mechanisms and consequences of mental stress ischemia in young survivors of MI...
- Role of P450 Eicosanoids in Delayed Microvascular Spasm Following Subarachnoid HeDOMINIC AARON SILER; Fiscal Year: 2013..from SAH often develop delayed neurological deficit due to ischemia, killing a significant number, and leaving survivors with permanent disability...
- Modifiable lifestyle-related factors and triple negative breast cancer prognosisSARAH JEAN NECHUTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cancer Pooling Project (ABCPP), a collaborative project that includes four prospective cohorts of breast cancer survivors, for which we have successfully pooled and harmonized data on clinical characteristics and lifestyle factors...
- Research and Mentoring on Energetic Factors and Cancer: Established InvestigatorLeslie Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further mentees will work to develop an approach to expand data collection in a cohort of breast cancer survivors and develop similar research efforts for colon and endometrial cancer survivors to study how changes in physical ..
- Role of Genetic Susceptibility in Therapy-related Subsequent MalignanciesSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): By 2010, there will be 12 million cancer survivors in the U.S., with an annual growth rate of 2%...
- Diagnosis of sub-clinical cryptic group A streptococcal myonecrosisAmy Evelyn Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2013..In these rapidly progressing "cryptic" infections, mortality is 70- 85%. Survivors undergo extensive surgical debridement including amputations and prolonged hospitalization...
- Aging, Inflammation and Exercise in Chronic StrokeAlice S Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2012..This research will identify a strategy to treat insulin resistance in stroke survivors and establish the biological basis for recommending lifestyle modifications to reduce inflammation and improve ..
- Cath B and uPAR si RNA constructs regressed glioma growthJOHN P O'BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, an increasing number of long survivors with secondary side effects and the resistance of glioma initiating cells from this treatment highlighted the ..
- Oxidative stress in regional cerebral blood flow alterations after cardiac arrestMioara D Manole; Fiscal Year: 2012..Asphyxia is the cause of cardiac arrest in the majority of pediatric victims. Most survivors have severe neurological impairment...
- The role of Histidine rich protein II in cerebral malariaPriya Pal; Fiscal Year: 2013..malaria (CM) is the most severe manifestation of malaria and results in decreased sensorium, coma, death, and in survivors lasting neurological complications...
- CaMKII in global cerebral ischemiaPaco S Herson; Fiscal Year: 2013..resulting in hypoxia-ischemia (HI) of the brain and consequently in severe neurological deficits in most of the survivors. No pharmacological treatment is available to improve survival or long-term neurological outcome...
- Scale-Up from Pilot To High-Throughput Screen for Inhibitors of Aquaporin-4Marc F Pelletier; Fiscal Year: 2011..Many stroke survivors are disabled, leading to a combined annual medical cost of ~$70 billion...
- Role of Astrocytic TREK-2 Potassium Channels in Cerebral IschemiaMisty J Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..4 million stroke survivors in the United States today...
- Integrated imaging of the form and function of the beating embryonic heartANDREW MARTIN ROLLINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Congenital heart defects (CHDs) afflict 36,000 babies born in the US each year and survivors often require several surgical interventions in their shortened lifetime...
- Cell Free O2 Carriers: Cerebrovascular Control and StrokeRAYMOND CHARLES KOEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Stroke is the third leading cause of death, and the disabilities that remain in survivors place a major burden on society...
- A novel treatment, TAT-HSP70, in attenuating lung injury in sepsis induced ARDSMARY MELANIE LYONS; Fiscal Year: 2012..In survivors, recovery to resume activities of daily living is prolonged, profound and costly...
- Take Heart: Exercise & Diet Intervention for Heart Failure in Cancer SurvivorsELIE MOUHAYAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..cancer mortality, this has come at some cost in terms of side effects and late effects experienced by cancer survivors. One of the more serious and distressing late effects is chemotherapy-induced heart failure...
- Counter-Regulatory Lipid Mediators in Lung DiseaseBruce D Levy; Fiscal Year: 2012..not proven effective in reducing the associated critical illness, mortality and prolonged disability in ARDS survivors. Novel therapeutic approaches are needed...
- The Renin-Angiotensin System, Inflammation and Radiation-induced Brain InjuryMichael E Robbins; Fiscal Year: 2010..Progressive dementia occurs in some 20-50% of brain tumor patients who are long-term survivors after treatment with brain irradiation...
- Identification of genes essential for survival of hypervirulent Kleb. pneumoniaeThomas A Russo; Fiscal Year: 2012..hvKP is associated with a significant mortality rate, ranging from 3-32% depending on the study. Survivors with metastatic spread often suffer catastrophic morbidity such as loss of vision and neurologic sequelae...
- Flaxseed vs. aromatase inhibitors: breast tumor characteristics and prognosisSusan McCann; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consequently, breast cancer survivors are interested in therapies that might improve their recurrence free survival (RFS)...
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Lifestyle Modification in Breast Cancer SurvivorsWendy Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009Breast cancer survivors comprise an increasingly large proportion of the population with over 2 million alive in the United States...
- FES for foot-drop in hemiparesisJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2009Hemiplegia is a major consequence of stroke and contributes significantly to the physical disability of stroke survivors. Foot-drop, or inability to dorsiflex the paretic ankle during the swing phase of gait and ankle instability during ..
- Working Memory Performance among Childhood Brain Tumor SurvivorsHEATHER CONKLIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the proposed study, childhood brain tumor survivors, solid tumor controls (with no history of CNS-directed therapy) and sibling controls will complete laboratory ..
- Implanted Neuroprosthesis for Restoring Arm and Hand Function after StrokeJayme Knutson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Nearly one third of stroke survivors have chronic hemiparesis. One of the most frequently persisting consequences of stroke is impaired hand function...
- Association of breast cancer and its therapies with fractureJoan Neuner; Fiscal Year: 2009..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Bony fractures are among the most common morbidities affecting breast cancer survivors, particularly postmenopausal breast cancer survivors...
- Quality of Life, Ethnicity, and Breast Cancer Survivors*Betsy Risendal; Fiscal Year: 2003..Similarly, very little information is available regarding quality of life (QOL) among minority cancer survivors. This proposal is to develop and demonstrate the methods we intend to use in longitudinal follow-up of the SHINE ..
- Hypnosis for Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer SurvivorsGary Elkins; Fiscal Year: 2005Context: Hot flashes are a significant problem for many breast cancer survivors. In fact, 78% of female chemotherapy recipients and 72% of tamoxifen recipients experience hot flashes...
- Enhanced Self-Appraisal After Cancer: A Bias in Survivors' Self-Report?CHRISTOPHER JOHN RECKLITIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Illness and efforts to cope with its physical and emotional effects are now understood to alter survivors'perceptions of themselves and their subsequent health conditions...
- Mothers as caregivers for survivors of brain tumorsJanet Deatrick; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): More than 359,000 persons in the U.S. are survivors of a primary brain and/or central nervous system tumors, and approximately 26,000 survivors are children under 19 years of age...
- Sleep disorders and QOL in lung cancer survivorsNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, these lung cancer survivors, more so than most other cancer survivors, have significant additional comorbidity as a result of their lung ..
- Biobehavioral Effects of Tai Chi Chih Among Elderly Breast Cancer SurvivorsAnita Y Kinney; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): More than 1.2 million U.S. women age 65 years and older are breast cancer survivors with initial diagnosis from 1 to 27 years ago. This figure is expected to increase as the U.S. population ages...
- Psychological distress in survivors of head/neck cancerHenrietta Logan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identify the most appropriate and cost-effective control group for head and neck cancer survivors. 2...
- Apolipoprotein E Genotype and Cognitive Performance in Breast Cancer SurvivorsBrent Small; Fiscal Year: 2007..presence of the e4 allele of APOE may also convey a disadvantage to the cognitive performance of breast cancer survivors. In the current proposal we examine cross-sectional differences and longitudinal changes in the cognitive ..
- Intestinal ostomies and informal caregiving for colorectal cancer survivorsCarmit McMullen; Fiscal Year: 2009..US today, over one million people are living with intestinal ostomies, most of whom are colorectal cancer (CRC) survivors. A colostomy or ileosotomy is a physical impairment that leads to bowel incontinence unless it is properly ..
- Genetics, Genomic Research, and Consent: Attitudes of Pediatric Cancer SurvivorsANDREA PATENAUDE; Fiscal Year: 2007..To assess the feasibility of enrolling young adult survivors of pediatric cancer (YASPC) in a multidisciplinary study of their attitudes, beliefs, and anticipated actions ..
- Urinary Incontinence in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Controlled ComparsionKRISTINE ANNE DONOVAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..the prevalence and severity of menopausal symptoms and their impact on quality of life in breast cancer survivors (BC+ survivors)...
- A Needs and Preference Assessment for a Colorectal Cancer Survivorship Care PlanTalya Salz; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Many cancer survivors do not receive adequate post-treatment care...
- Web-based stroke education for patients and familiesDebra Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ischemic stroke is a major source of illness burden in the US. Stroke survivors are at high risk for recurrence and therefore they are an important group for secondary prevention...
- Rural women breast cancer survivorsB Bettencourt; Fiscal Year: 2004..The research to date, however, largely ignores rural women breast cancer survivors. The vast majority of studies include only urban women...
- Tendrils: A Multimedia Intervention for Women's Sexual Dysfunction after CancerLESLIE RUTH SCHOVER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aims: Sexual dysfunction is the most common long-term consequence of cancer treatment, affecting half of survivors of breast and gynecological cancer and many women treated for other cancers...
- BOSNIAN REFUGEE SURVIVORS OF TORTURE IN PRIMARY CAREJeffrey Sonis; Fiscal Year: 1999This proposal is for a cross-sectional study of Bosnian refugee survivors of torture in primary care medical settings in the United States...
- Dietary Supplements and CAM Use in Breast Cancer SurvivorsJuliann Pierson; Fiscal Year: 2009The increased number of breast cancer survivors in the United States-presents a variety of health concerns, such as the prevention of cancer recurrence, other diseases and quality of life...