Genomes and Genes
Summary: Individuals enrolled in a school or formal educational program.
Publications311 found, 100 shown here
- Cohort profile: The Thai Cohort of 87,134 Open University studentsAdrian C Sleigh
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine and Health Sciences, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:266-72. 2008
- Science faculty's subtle gender biases favor male studentsCorinne A Moss-Racusin
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16474-9. 2012..groups, but has yet to experimentally investigate whether science faculty exhibit a bias against female students that could contribute to the gender disparity in academic science...
- Genital human papillomavirus infection: incidence and risk factors in a cohort of female university studentsRachel L Winer
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:218-26. 2003..The authors followed 603 female university students in Washington State at 4-month intervals between 1990 and 2000...
- Randomized response estimates for the 12-month prevalence of cognitive-enhancing drug use in university studentsPavel Dietz
Department of Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation and Disease Prevention, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Pharmacotherapy 33:44-50. 2013..To estimate the 12-month prevalence of cognitive-enhancing drug use...
- Web-based alcohol intervention for Māori university students: double-blind, multi-site randomized controlled trialKypros Kypri
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Addiction 108:331-8. 2013..We tested the effectiveness of web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention (e-SBI) for reducing hazardous drinking among Māori university students.
- Active learning not associated with student learning in a random sample of college biology coursesT M Andrews
Department of Ecology, Montana State University, Bozeman, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:394-405. 2011....
- Teaching more by lecturing lessJennifer K Knight
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Cell Biol Educ 4:298-310. 2005....
- Use of cognitive enhancement medication among northern Italian university studentsSilvana Castaldi
University of Milan, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, Italy
J Addict Med 6:112-7. 2012This study assesses the use of cognitive enhancement medication among university students in Northern Italy...
- Self-medication practices with antibiotics among tertiary level students in Accra, Ghana: a cross-sectional studyEric S Donkor
Department of Microbiology, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
Int J Environ Res Public Health 9:3519-29. 2012The study was carried out to estimate the prevalence of self-medication with antibiotics among tertiary level students in Accra (Ghana) and evaluate factors associated with the practice...
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials: Web-based interventions for smoking cessation among adolescents, college students, and adultsHeidi E Hutton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:227-38. 2011..We performed a systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of smoking cessation to evaluate the efficacy of Web-based interventions in adults, college students, and adolescents.
- The Genetics Concept Assessment: a new concept inventory for gauging student understanding of geneticsMichelle K Smith
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0347, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:422-30. 2008..The assessment was reviewed by genetics experts, validated by student interviews, and taken by >600 students at three institutions...
- Biology undergraduates' misconceptions about genetic driftT M Andrews
Department of Ecology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 11:248-59. 2012..We use qualitative and quantitative methods to describe students' definitions, identify common misconceptions, and examine differences before and after instruction on genetic ..
- Cognitive-enhancing substance use at German universities: frequency, reasons and gender differencesStefanie Mache
Institute of Occupational Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Free University and Humboldt University, Thielallee 69 73, 14195, Berlin, Germany
Wien Med Wochenschr 162:262-71. 2012The purpose of this study was to give an overview whether German students regularly use stimulants for enhancing their academic performance. Reasons associated with the use of these substances were explored...
- Biology in bloom: implementing Bloom's Taxonomy to enhance student learning in biologyAlison Crowe
Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:368-81. 2008..to assist science faculty in better aligning their assessments with their teaching activities and to help students enhance their study skills and metacognition...
- Increased structure and active learning reduce the achievement gap in introductory biologyDavid C Haak
Department of Biology, Box 351800, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 332:1213-6. 2011..engineering, and mathematics instructors have been charged with improving the performance and retention of students from diverse backgrounds...
- The impact of depression on the academic productivity of university studentsAlketa Hysenbegasi
Citigroup Market Monitor, 909 3rd Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 11120, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 8:145-51. 2005..Academic performance can be viewed as a direct parallel to workforce performance, with students belonging to a unique set of individuals whose ability to perform can be measured on criteria applied by an ..
- Knowledge and practice of breast-self examination among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, northwestern NigeriaU M D Gwarzo
Department of Community Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 8:55-8. 2009..We assessed knowledge and practice of breast-self examination (BSE) among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria.
- Normative misperceptions and temporal precedence of perceived norms and drinkingClayton Neighbors
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Box 356560, Seattle, Washington 98195 6560, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:290-9. 2006Previous research has shown that students overestimate the drinking of their peers, and that perceived norms are strongly associated with drinking behavior...
- Drinking at European universities? A review of students' alcohol useMatthias Wicki
Swiss Institute for the Prevention of Alcohol and Drug Problems SIPA, Research Department, PO Box 870, CH 1001 Lausanne, Switzerland
Addict Behav 35:913-24. 2010High volumes of alcohol consumption and risky single occasion drinking (RSOD) among university students have been shown to be associated with considerable harm to both those who consume alcohol and their fellow students...
- Curbing problem drinking with personalized-feedback interventions: a meta-analysisHeleen Riper
Innovation Centre of Mental Health and Technology, Trimbos Institute Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Prev Med 36:247-55. 2009..A meta-analysis was performed to examine the overall effectiveness of brief, single-session personalized-feedback interventions without therapeutic guidance...
- The genomics education partnership: successful integration of research into laboratory classes at a diverse group of undergraduate institutionsChristopher D Shaffer
Department of Biology, Washington University in St Louis, MO 63130, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 9:55-69. 2010Genomics is not only essential for students to understand biology but also provides unprecedented opportunities for undergraduate research...
- Youth, sexual risk-taking behavior, and mental health: a study of university students in UgandaAnette Agardh
Social Medicine and Global Health, Department of Clinical Sciences Malmo, Lund University, CRC, Entrance 72, Malmo University Hospital, 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
Int J Behav Med 19:208-16. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between poor mental health and risky sexual behavior (HIV/AIDS) among a population of university students in Uganda.
- Effectiveness of school-based education on HIV/AIDS knowledge, attitude, and behavior among secondary school students in Wuhan, ChinaXiaohui Gao
Department of Child and Maternal Health Care, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei Province, PR China
PLoS ONE 7:e44881. 2012..Young people are at high risk of HIV and AIDS infections and are, therefore, in need of targeted prevention. School-based HIV/AIDS health education may be an effective way to prevent the spread of AIDS among adolescents...
- Can stand-alone computer-based interventions reduce alcohol consumption? A systematic reviewZarnie Khadjesari
e Health Unit, Research Department of Primary Care and Population Health, University College London, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Addiction 106:267-82. 2011..To determine the effects of computer-based interventions aimed at reducing alcohol consumption in adult populations...
- Using Facebook and text messaging to deliver a weight loss program to college studentsMelissa A Napolitano
Department of Kinesiology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:25-31. 2013..This study examined the feasibility, acceptability, and initial efficacy of a technology-based 8-week weight loss intervention among college students.
- Prevalence and determinants of khat (Catha edulis) chewing among high school students in eastern Ethiopia: a cross-sectional studyAyalu A Reda
Department of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Haramaya University, Harar, Ethiopia
PLoS ONE 7:e33946. 2012..This study was conducted to assess the prevalence and predictors of khat chewing among high school students in Harar, eastern Ethiopia.
- A quasi-randomized group trial of a brief alcohol intervention on risky single occasion drinking among secondary school studentsGerhard Gmel
Research Department, Addiction Switzerland, Avenue de Ruchonnet 14, P O Box 870, 1001 Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Public Health 57:935-44. 2012..To show the effectiveness of a brief group alcohol intervention. Aims of the intervention were to reduce the frequency of heavy drinking occasions, maximum number of drinks on an occasion and overall weekly consumption...
- Me and my 400 friends: the anatomy of college students' Facebook networks, their communication patterns, and well-beingAdriana M Manago
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Dev Psychol 48:369-80. 2012..socialization context of Facebook during the transition to adulthood, an online survey was distributed to college students at a large urban university; participants answered questions about their relationships by systematically sampling ..
- Prevalence of internet addiction and comparison of internet addicts and non-addicts in Iranian high schoolsLily Ghassemzadeh
Tarbiat Moallem University, Tehran, Iran
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:731-3. 2008In this study, 1968 high-school students were selected randomly through clustering, who responded to the Persian version of four measures: the Internet Addiction Test (IAT), UCLA Loneliness Scale, Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, and Matson ..
- Professor's little helperBarbara Sahakian
University of Cambridge, Department of Psychiatry and the MRC Wellcome Trust Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Nature 450:1157-9. 2007
- Female university students' attitudes to future motherhood and their understanding about fertilityTanja Tyden
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Döbelnsgatan 2, S 752 37, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 11:181-9. 2006As highly educated women tend to postpone childbearing, the purpose was to explore female university students' attitudes to future motherhood and their understanding about fertility.
- Effect of school district policy change on consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among high school students, Boston, Massachusetts, 2004-2006Angie L Cradock
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A74. 2011..The objective of this study was to determine whether high school students' consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages declined after this new policy was implemented.
- Personality and psychopathology of university studentsDusica L Tosevski
Institute of Mental Health, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Palmoticeva 37, Belgrade, Serbia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 23:48-52. 2010University students represent the national capital and investment for the future, with an implicit mission both for their families and for society as a whole...
- The impact of socio-demographic and religious factors upon sexual behavior among Ugandan university studentsAnette Agardh
Department of Clinical Sciences, Social Medicine and Global Health, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e23670. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between sociodemographic and religious factors and their impact on sexual behavior among university students in Uganda.
- HIV/AIDS knowledge, attitudes and behaviors assessment of Chinese students: a questionnaire studyXiaodong Tan
School of Public Health, Wuhan University, Donghu Road 115, Wuhan 430071, PR of China
Int J Environ Res Public Health 4:248-53. 2007The objective of this study was to assess students' knowledge, attitudes and practices on HIV and AIDS. A questionnaire was administered to a cross section of 259 Chinese undergraduates...
- The prevalence and socio-demographic correlations of depression, anxiety and stress among a group of university studentsNuran Bayram
Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Dept of Econometrics, Uludag University, Gorukle, Bursa, Turkey
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:667-72. 2008The mental health of university students is an area of increasing concern worldwide. The objective of this study is to examine the prevalence of depression, anxiety and stress among a group of Turkish university students.
- Non-medical use of prescription stimulants among US college students: prevalence and correlates from a national surveySean Esteban McCabe
University of Michigan, Substance Abuse Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addiction 100:96-106. 2005To examine the prevalence rates and correlates of non-medical use of prescription stimulants (Ritalin, Dexedrine or Adderall) among US college students in terms of student and college characteristics.
- Feeling bad on Facebook: depression disclosures by college students on a social networking siteMegan A Moreno
School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Depress Anxiety 28:447-55. 2011Depression is common and frequently undiagnosed among college students. Social networking sites are popular among college students and can include displayed depression references...
- A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority studentsGregory M Walton
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 331:1447-51. 2011..The intervention was expected to be particularly beneficial to African-American students (N = 49), a stereotyped and socially marginalized group in academics, and less so to European-American students (..
- Understanding randomness and its impact on student learning: lessons learned from building the Biology Concept Inventory (BCI)Kathy Garvin-Doxas
Center for Integrated Plasma Studies, and Developmental Biology Department, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:227-33. 2008..online and analyzed through our Ed's Tools system, together with 28 thematic and think-aloud interviews with students, and the responses of students in introductory and advanced courses to questions on the BCI...
- Early substance use initiation and suicide ideation and attempts among students in France and the United StatesMonica H Swahn
Institute of Public Health, Partnership for Urban Health Research, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 3995, USA
Int J Public Health 57:95-105. 2012..documenting a link between early substance use and suicidal behaviors among youth, the current study sought to examine the associations between ages of substance use initiation and suicidal behavior among students in France and the USA.
- Non-medical use of prescription stimulants and illicit use of stimulants for cognitive enhancement in pupils and students in GermanyA G Franke
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Medical Centre, Mainz, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 44:60-6. 2011The aim of this study was to assess for the first time the prevalence and factors associated with stimulant use exclusively for cognitive enhancement among pupils and university students in Germany.
- Proximity of fast-food restaurants to schools and adolescent obesityBrennan Davis
School of Business and Management, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 99:505-10. 2009We examined the relationship between fast-food restaurants near schools and obesity among middle and high school students in California.
- Prevalence of substance use among college students in Eldoret, western KenyaLukoye Atwoli
Department of Mental Health, Moi University School of Medicine, PO Box 4606, Eldoret 30100, Kenya
BMC Psychiatry 11:34. 2011Substance use among college and university students predicts substance related problems in later life. Few studies on this phenomenon have been carried out in low income countries, and most focus on primary and secondary school students...
- Proposed diagnostic criteria and the screening and diagnosing tool of Internet addiction in college studentsChih Hung Ko
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Compr Psychiatry 50:378-84. 2009The aims of this study were to develop diagnostic criteria of Internet addiction for college students (DC-IA-C) with diagnostic interviews and to establish the optimal cutoff points of the Chen Internet Addiction Scale (CIAS) for the ..
- Early age of first drunkenness as a factor in college students' unplanned and unprotected sex attributable to drinkingRalph Hingson
Boston University School of Public Health Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Pediatrics 111:34-41. 2003..This study explores whether first getting drunk at a younger age is associated with a greater likelihood of college students reporting that they had unplanned or unprotected sexual intercourse because of their drinking.
- Randomized controlled trial of proactive web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention for university studentsKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, David Maddison Clinical Sciences Bldg, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
Arch Intern Med 169:1508-14. 2009University students drink more heavily than their nonstudent peers and are often unaware that their drinking is risky and exceeds normative levels...
- Computer-delivered interventions to reduce college student drinking: a meta-analysisKate B Carey
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, NY 13244 2340, USA
Addiction 104:1807-19. 2009This meta-analysis evaluates the efficacy of computer-delivered interventions (CDIs) to reduce alcohol use among college students.
- Bullying behaviors among US youth: prevalence and association with psychosocial adjustmentT R Nansel
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 6100 Executive Blvd, Room 7B05, MSC 7510, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
JAMA 285:2094-100. 2001..Although violence among US youth is a current major concern, bullying is infrequently addressed and no national data on the prevalence of bullying are available...
- A diagnostic assessment for introductory molecular and cell biologyJia Shi
Departments of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, 80309, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 9:453-61. 2010..concepts and basic knowledge in undergraduate introductory molecular and cell biology, focusing on areas in which students often have misconceptions...
- Association between online social networking and depression in high school students: behavioral physiology viewpointIgor Pantic
Institute of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Serbia
Psychiatr Danub 24:90-3. 2012..In this work, we investigated the relationship between social networking and depression indicators in adolescent population...
- Calcium plus vitamin D3 supplementation facilitated fat loss in overweight and obese college students with very-low calcium consumption: a randomized controlled trialWei Zhu
Department of Nutrition, Shanghai Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai 201318, China
Nutr J 12:8. 2013....
- Binge drinking and associated health risk behaviors among high school studentsJacqueline W Miller
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, NE, Mailstop K 55, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pediatrics 119:76-85. 2007....
- Technology-based interventions for mental health in tertiary students: systematic reviewLouise Farrer
Centre for Mental Health Research, The Australian National University, Canberra ACT, Australia
J Med Internet Res 15:e101. 2013Mental disorders are responsible for a high level of disability burden in students attending university. However, many universities have limited resources available to support student mental health...
- Illicit use of specific prescription stimulants among college students: prevalence, motives, and routes of administrationChristian J Teter
School of Pharmacy, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pharmacotherapy 26:1501-10. 2006To explore the illicit use of specific prescription stimulants among college students and add to our understanding of reasons (motives) and routes of administration associated with illicit use of these drugs.
- The ENDORSE study: research into environmental determinants of obesity related behaviors in Rotterdam schoolchildrenKlazine van der Horst
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 8:142. 2008....
- Alcohol email assessment and feedback study dismantling effectiveness for university students (AMADEUS-1): study protocol for a randomized controlled trialJim McCambridge
Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 15 17 Tavistock Place, London, WC1H 9SH, UK
Trials 13:49. 2012..interventions can be effective and increasingly take advantage of the internet to reach high-risk groups such as students. The research literature on the effectiveness of online interventions is developing rapidly and is confronted by ..
- The effect of education on the attitude of medical students towards organ donationSonia Radunz
Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Ann Transplant 17:140-4. 2012..An appropriate education and a positive attitude of medical students and future physicians towards organ donation may have a positive impact on the attitudes of the general public.
- Fertility awareness and parenting attitudes among American male and female undergraduate university studentsBrennan D Peterson
Schmid College of Science, Crean School of Health and Life Sciences, Chapman University, Orange, CA 92866, USA
Hum Reprod 27:1375-82. 2012..Although university students are more likely to delay childbearing, it is unclear to what extent they are aware of age-related fertility ..
- Associations between displayed alcohol references on Facebook and problem drinking among college studentsMegan A Moreno
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53705, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:157-63. 2012..To examine the associations between displayed alcohol use and intoxication/problem drinking (I/PD) references on Facebook and self-reported problem drinking using a clinical scale...
- Behavioral, virologic, and immunologic factors associated with acquisition and severity of primary Epstein-Barr virus infection in university studentsHenry H Balfour
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Infect Dis 207:80-8. 2013University students were studied prospectively to determine the incidence of and risk factors for acquisition of primary Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection and the virologic and immune correlates of disease severity.
- Using the Genetics Concept Assessment to document persistent conceptual difficulties in undergraduate genetics coursesMichelle K Smith
School of Biology and Ecology and the Center for Research in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Education, University of Maine, Orono, Maine 04469, USA
Genetics 191:21-32. 2012To help genetics instructors become aware of fundamental concepts that are persistently difficult for students, we have analyzed the evolution of student responses to multiple-choice questions from the Genetics Concept Assessment...
- Psychological correlates of university students' academic performance: a systematic review and meta-analysisMichelle Richardson
Centre for Outcomes Research and Effectiveness CORE, Research Department of Clinical, Education and Health Psychology, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HB, United Kingdom
Psychol Bull 138:353-87. 2012A review of 13 years of research into antecedents of university students' grade point average (GPA) scores generated the following: a comprehensive, conceptual map of known correlates of tertiary GPA; assessment of the magnitude of ..
- Trends in college binge drinking during a period of increased prevention efforts. Findings from 4 Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study surveys: 1993-2001Henry Wechsler
Department of Health and Social Behavior at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Coll Health 50:203-17. 2002The 2001 Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study surveyed students at 119 4-year colleges that participated in the 1993, 1997, and 1999 studies...
- Alcohol mixed with energy drinks: consumption patterns and motivations for use in U.S. college studentsCecile A Marczinski
Department of Psychological Science, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41042, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:3232-45. 2011Binge drinking in college students is widespread and known to cause significant harms and health hazards for the drinker...
- Providing web-based feedback and social norms information to reduce student alcohol intake: a multisite investigationBridgette M Bewick
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Med Internet Res 12:e59. 2010Unhealthy alcohol use among university students is cause for concern, yet the level of help seeking behavior for alcohol use is low within the student population...
- Smoking among university students: a gender analysisAhmed Mandil
Department of Family and Community Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University KSU, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Infect Public Health 3:179-87. 2010..paper were to estimate the consumption patterns of tobacco use among King Saud University (KSU) undergraduate students; and investigate different risk factors which may contribute to tobacco use among female students...
- Awareness and knowledge of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among school-going adolescents in Europe: a systematic review of published literatureFlorence N Samkange-Zeeb
Bremen Institute for Prevention Research and Social Medicine, University of Bremen, Germany
BMC Public Health 11:727. 2011..Results of this review can help point out areas where STD risk communication for adolescents needs to be improved...
- College students' barriers and enablers for healthful weight management: a qualitative studyMary L Greaney
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 41:281-6. 2009To identify barriers and enablers for healthful weight management among college students.
- Use of coffee, caffeinated drinks and caffeine tablets for cognitive enhancement in pupils and students in GermanyA G Franke
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Medical Centre Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 44:331-8. 2011..There are only few data about substances, prevalence rates and factors associated with CE. The aim of this study was to assess first data about the use of coffee, caffeinated drinks and caffeine tablets for CE at school and university...
- Using the principles of BIO2010 to develop an introductory, interdisciplinary course for biology studentsKelly E Matthews
Teaching and Educational Development Institute and Faculty of Science, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
CBE Life Sci Educ 9:290-7. 2010..In this study, the perceptions of biological science students enrolled in SCIE1000 in 2008 and 2009 are measured...
- Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of elementary school students regarding sun exposure and skin cancerPanta Rouhani
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 26:529-35. 2009..of skin cancer, sun protection practices, and perceptions of tanning among third through fifth grade elementary students in Florida. A total of 4,002 students in nineteen elementary schools in Palm Beach County, Florida were surveyed...
- Motives and perceived consequences of nonmedical ADHD medication use by college students: are students treating themselves for attention problems?David L Rabiner
Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Atten Disord 13:259-70. 2009This study examines why college students without a prescription take ADHD medication, what they perceive the consequences of this to be, and whether attention problems are associated with this behavior.
- Stigma and help seeking for mental health among college studentsDaniel Eisenberg
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:522-41. 2009..Using a random sample of 5,555 students from a diverse set of 13 universities, we conducted one of the first empirical studies of the association of help-..
- Sleep patterns and predictors of disturbed sleep in a large population of college studentsHannah G Lund
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:124-32. 2010To characterize sleep patterns and predictors of poor sleep quality in a large population of college students. This study extends the 2006 National Sleep Foundation examination of sleep in early adolescence by examining sleep in older ..
- BASC-2 PRS profiles for students with high-functioning autism spectrum disordersMartin A Volker
Department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 40:188-99. 2010..Screening indices suggested that the Developmental Social Disorders scale was highly effective in differentiating between the two groups...
- Caffeinated cocktails: energy drink consumption, high-risk drinking, and alcohol-related consequences among college studentsMary Claire O'Brien
Department of Emergency Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:453-60. 2008..This study examines the relationship between energy drink use, high-risk drinking behavior, and alcohol-related consequences...
- Alcohol use, partner type, and risky sexual behavior among college students: Findings from an event-level studyJennifer L Brown
Center for Health and Behavior, Department of Psychology, Syracuse University, 430 Huntington Hall, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA jlbrow03syr edu
Addict Behav 32:2940-52. 2007Alcohol use is prevalent among college students and may contribute to elevated rates of sexual risk taking. Using event-level data, the hypothesis that partner type would moderate the effect of alcohol consumption on condom use was tested...
- Computer-based interventions for college drinking: a qualitative reviewJennifer C Elliott
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244, USA
Addict Behav 33:994-1005. 2008..In addition, possible moderators (e.g. baseline drinking patterns) and mediators (e.g. corrected drinking norms) have emerged. Limitations and areas for future research are discussed...
- The theory of planned behavior and binge drinking among undergraduate students: assessing the impact of habit strengthPaul Norman
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Addict Behav 36:502-7. 2011..theory of planned behavior (TPB) to the prediction of binge drinking intentions and behavior among undergraduate students and to test whether habit strength explains additional variance in binge drinking behavior...
- Social inequalities in food exposure around schools in an urban areaYan Kestens
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine and Central Hospital Research Center, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Prev Med 39:33-40. 2010..Although the positive association between area-level deprivation and fast-food outlets offering high-calorie foods has been well documented, few studies have evaluated food sources around school settings...
- Validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) among Nigerian university studentsOlutayo O Aloba
Department of Mental Health, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Sleep Med 8:266-70. 2007..problems and detection of them remain largely an unidentified public health issue, especially among university students. This study aims to assess the validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) among Nigerian university ..
- A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college studentsBrenda M Malinauskas
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
Nutr J 6:35. 2007..young adult consumers, there has been little research regarding energy drink consumption patterns among college students in the United States...
- International study of heavy drinking: attitudes and sociodemographic factors in university studentsCecile Dantzer
Department of Psychology, University of Savoy, Chambery, France
J Am Coll Health 55:83-9. 2006The authors studied the prevalence of heavy drinking among students in 21 developed and developing countries using an anonymous survey of 7,846 male and 9,892 female students aged 17 to 30 years...
- Attitudes toward parenthood and awareness of fertility among postgraduate students in SwedenAgneta Skoog Svanberg
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Gend Med 3:187-95. 2006..Postponing childbirth is becoming increasingly common in Western countries, especially among women with higher education...
- Internet addiction among Greek adolescent studentsKonstantinos E Siomos
Psychiatric Unit, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:653-7. 2008This research aimed to assess the prevalence of Internet addiction among Greek adolescent students, ages 12 to 18. The sample of 2,200 students was recruited from 120 classes among 85 schools in Thessaly, Greece...
- Active school transportation in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada: an exploration of trends in space and time (1986-2006)Ron N Buliung
Department of Geography, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road N, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Prev Med 48:507-12. 2009..This study describes temporal and spatial trends in active transportation for school trips in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada's largest city-region...
- An observational study of how young people search for online sexual health informationEric R Buhi
Department of Community and Family Health, University of South Florida, College of Public Health, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Am Coll Health 58:101-11. 2009..Little is known about the quality of online sexual health information, how young people access the Internet to answer their sexual health questions, or an individual's ability to sort through myriad sources for accurate information...
- Prevalence of pathological Internet use among university students and correlations with self-esteem, the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), and disinhibitionKatie Niemz
Psychology Division, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:562-70. 2005..common findings in the literature and provide more evidence for the existence of Internet addiction among students--a population considered to be especially vulnerable...
- Three strategies for changing attributions about severe mental illnessP W Corrigan
University of Chicago Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Tinley Park, IL 60477, USA
Schizophr Bull 27:187-95. 2001..One hundred and fifty-two students at a community college were randomly assigned to one of the three strategies or a control condition...
- Long-term effects of a parent and student intervention on alcohol use in adolescents: a cluster randomized controlled trialIna M Koning
Trimbos Institute, Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Prev Med 40:541-7. 2011..Early onset of drinking among Dutch adolescents is highly prevalent. A lower age of onset is associated with several developmental and social risks...
- Basic math in monkeys and college studentsJessica F Cantlon
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e328. 2007..Our data demonstrate that nonverbal arithmetic is not unique to humans but is instead part of an evolutionarily primitive system for mathematical thinking shared by monkeys...
- Peer influences on college drinking: a review of the researchB Borsari
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, NY 13244 2340, USA
J Subst Abuse 13:391-424. 2001Peer pressure is consistently implicated in the excessive drinking of college students. However, both theory and empirical findings suggest that peer pressure is a combination of three distinct influences: overt offers of alcohol, ..
- Effects of a brief motivational intervention with college student drinkersB Borsari
Department of Psychology, Syracuse University, New York 13244 2340, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 68:728-33. 2000..Sixty students who reported binge drinking 2 or more times in the past 30 days were randomly assigned to either a no-treatment ..
- Normative beliefs, misperceptions, and heavy episodic drinking in a british student sampleJohn McAlaney
School of Social Sciences, University of Paisley, Paisley, Scotland, UK
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:385-92. 2007..S. college system. The aim of the current study, therefore, was to investigate heavy episodic drinking and normative misperceptions in a U.K. university setting...
- Absolute pitch among American and Chinese conservatory students: prevalence differences, and evidence for a speech-related critical periodDiana Deutsch
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 119:719-22. 2006..Music conservatory students in the U.S. and China were tested...
- Individual-level interventions to reduce college student drinking: a meta-analytic reviewKate B Carey
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244 2340, USA
Addict Behav 32:2469-94. 2007..b>Students receiving interventions also reported fewer alcohol-related problems over longer intervals...
- Food consumption frequency and perceived stress and depressive symptoms among students in three European countriesRafael T Mikolajczyk
Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Care, University of Gloucestershire, Oxstalls Lane, Gloucester GL2 9HW, UK
Nutr J 8:31. 2009....
- Perceptions and behaviors related to hand hygiene for the prevention of H1N1 influenza transmission among Korean university students during the peak pandemic periodJae Hyun Park
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University College of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
BMC Infect Dis 10:222. 2010..This study was performed to better assess the perceptions, motivating factors, and behaviors associated with the use of hand washing to prevent H1N1 influenza transmission during the peak pandemic period in Korea...
- Prevalence of daily breakfast intake, iron deficiency anaemia and awareness of being anaemic among Saudi school studentsBahaa Abalkhail
Department of Community Medicine and Primary Heath Care, College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Int J Food Sci Nutr 53:519-28. 2002..The objectives of this study were to identify the nutritional habits and the prevalence of anaemia among school students in Jeddah, as well as to recognize the students' awareness of their anaemic nutritional status...
- Improving educational achievement and anaemia of school children: design of a cluster randomised trial of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction in KenyaSimon Brooker
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Trials 11:93. 2010..This study aims to evaluate the impact of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction on the health and educational achievement of school children in Kenya...
- The Effects of Insiderness on Data in the Dominican RepublicMARIANO SANA; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- School Support as Structural HIV Prevention for Adolescent Orphans in KenyaHyunsan Cho; Fiscal Year: 2013..be invited to participate;the total number of participants to be recruited into the study is approximately 840 students, 420 in each condition...
- Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity in the Biomedical Sciences at NortherAlice Coulter Gibb; Fiscal Year: 2013..improve retention, academic achievement and, ultimately, graduate school enrollment of underrepresented minority students in biomedical research fields...
- NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON BLACK DENTISTRY IN THE 21ST CENTURYMichael Razzoog; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- NATIONAL WORKSHOP 'BLACK DENTISTRY IN THE 21ST CENTURYMichael Razzoog; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- Initiative to Maximize Student DiversityMARGRET C WERNER-WASHBURNE; Fiscal Year: 2013..that ~ 80 - 90% of the graduating seniors in the regular IMSD program will enter graduate school and ~ 50% of the students in the targeted mentoring groups, many of whom will have transferred to our other undergraduate research programs...
- CUMC Community-Oriented Primary Care Research EndowmentCam Enarson; Fiscal Year: 2006..to establish a Community-Oriented Primary Care (COPC) Public Health Research Endowment to build capacity to train students in COPC public health research in underserved communities...
- DEMOGRAPHIC INFLUENCES ON FAMILY AND SCHOOL TRANSITIONSROBERT MARE; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- DEMOGRAPHIC INFLUENCES ON FAMILY AND SCHOOL TRANSITIONSChristopher Winship; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- PREPARE: Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program and Retention EnhancementJAMBOOR VISHWANATHA; Fiscal Year: 2009..Entry of underrepresented minority students into doctoral study in the biomedical sciences in Texas, and indeed, in the nation, remains low despite ..
- DYNAMICS OF FAMILY WELL-BEING DURING ECONOMIC CRISISJohn Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FAMILIES, COMMUNITIES AND YOUTH OUTCOMES IN SOUTH AFRICADavid Lam; Fiscal Year: 2005..The project will also analyze the effect of economic shocks and family disruption on the outcomes of young people such as school enrollment grade advancement and employment...
- Health, Environment and Social Structure in IndiaREEVE VANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. Build institutional linkages between premiere scholars in the field of environmental studies, economics, sociology and public health in India and the United States. ..
- Female Anti-Problem Drinking Group & Campus InitiativesJoseph LaBrie; Fiscal Year: 2006..monthly alcohol-related programs with faculty/staff, and on-going alcohol and women's health programs for students. It is hypothesized that students attending WISE UP groups will report fewer alcohol-related problems, decreased ..
- TAILORED COMMUNICATIONS FOR COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENINGCHARLES BASCH; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal addresses the need for research assessing tailored communications to increase CRC screening in minority groups. ..
- Drug Abuse Trajectories in the Transition to Adulthood: Risk Factors and OutcomesAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2008Project Summary/Abstract An estimated 21% of the nation[unreadable]s 7.5 million full-time college students have used an illicit drug in the past month...
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia M Arria; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- INCREASING SCHOOL SNACK BAR FRUIT AND VEGETABLE INTAKEKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Previous school interventions targeted elementary schools where students only have the choice of the school lunch meal...
- Memory Errors in Children's Dietary RecallsSUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Healthful dietary habits will decrease the risk of such chronic diseases as cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Familys' Web: Cancer Prevention for DaughtersKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..This feasibility or pilot study will provide the foundation for a full scale intervention focused on dietary change. ..
- Exploring strategies to increase school breakfast consumption in middle schoolsKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..is to investigate delivery methods and promotional strategies to improve SB participation among middle school students, implement the delivery methods and promotional strategies, and obtain participation rate data needed to ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Methodology and AccuracySUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this methodological project could have major implications for how 24hDRs are obtained from children in future national surveys, NIH-funded studies, and other studies. ..
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005The objective of this R03 application "Prescription Drug Abuse Among College Students" is to improve the understanding of nonmedical use and diversion of prescription drugs among college students...
- Risk and Maintenance Factors for Bulimic PathologyEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Prescription Drug Abuse in the United StatesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will help identify risk factors for substance abuse. Most importantly, the findings will provide guidance for the prevention, assessment, and treatment of prescription drug abuse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protective Influence of Residential Learning CommunitiesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2006..of pioneering residential learning communities (RLCs) in reducing alcohol misuse among first-year undergraduate students using a longitudinal panel design...
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Depression Prevention Program for High-Risk AdolescentsEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, the proposed project should provide a rigorous evaluation of this promising brief prevention program and should advance knowledge regarding the prevention of this pernicious psychiatric problem. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modeling the Effect of Cigarette Advertising on Adolescent SmokingWilliam G Shadel; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SOCIAL COGNITIVE THEORY OF SMOKING AND CESSATIONWilliam Shadel; Fiscal Year: 2001..Support for this social cognitive model would advance an understanding of the mechanisms involved in smoking and cessation behaviors, and possible lead to developing interventions that will help increasing number of smokers to quit. ..
- ETIOLOGY OF BULIMIC PATHOLOGY--MULTIMETHOD INVESTIGATIONEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2002..Agras' and Taylor's labs, (2) learn state-of- the-art treatments for eating pathology and other adolescent psychopathology, (3) take courses in quantitative techniques, methodology, and ethics, and (4) receive training in grant writing. ..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. college students (e.g., Johnston et al., 2003; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2003)...
- Eating Disorder Prevention Program Effectiveness TrialEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2009..g. will use random assignment, an attention control condition, blinded diagnostic interviews, multiple-reporter data, and a long-term follow-up). ..
- Adolescents' responses to anti-smoking PSAsWilliam Shadel; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-term implication of the results of these studies is that more effective anti-smoking advertisements could be designed and developed. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TEST OF A DISSONANCE EATING DISORDER PREVENTION PROGRAMEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the proposed study should be the definitive test of this new promising eating disorder prevention program and should significantly advance our knowledge regarding the prevention of this pervasive psychiatric problem. ..
- Developing Health Behaviors in Middle AdolescenceDONNA LYNN REW; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SEXUAL HEALTH PRACTICES OF HOMELESS ADOLESCENTSDONNA REW; Fiscal Year: 2005..The expected outcome is an effective, brief intervention for promoting sexual health that can be delivered to homeless adolescents in an unsheltered environment. ..
- Depression in Black and White Adolescent GirlsDebra Franko; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- DRUGS USE, SOCIAL CONTEXT, AND HIV RISK IN HOMELESS YOUTHJoan S Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Longitudinal Study of Health Risk Behavior in YouthDONNA REW; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Social Control and Well-Being Among Older AdultsJoan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2002..The ultimate goal of this line of research is to design effective and age-appropriate interventions that utilize social networks to encourage engagement in healthy behavior. ..
- INTERPERSONAL CONTEXT OF HIV RISK IN IMPOVERISHED WOMENJoan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Stepped Care for Mandated College StudentsBrian Borsari; Fiscal Year: 2009Colleges and universities have seen a large increase in the number of students referred to the administration for the violation of alcohol policies...
- Personalized Feedback Intervention for Marijuana UseChristine Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..university, through the development of efficacious prevention and intervention techniques for first-year college students. Marijuana use is the most commonly used illicit substance among college students, with up to 35% of students ..
- Partial Word Knowledge Growth in Children with LLDSTACY WAGOVICH; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Promoting Sleep in Mothers of Low Birth Weight Infants: a Pilot StudyShih Yu Lee; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical Supervision and Turnover in Substance Abuse TxLillian T Eby; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project responds to program announcement PA-03-011 "Services Research in the National Drug Abuse CTN". Substance abuse treatment centers that are affiliated with the Clinical Trails Network will provide data for the project. ..
- Emerging Trends of Tryptamine Use: Contexts & RisksBrian Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITHENRY BALFOUR; Fiscal Year: 2008..The Iowa subunit has expertise in detection of hepatitis C and will be collaborating in studies of the pathogenesis of coinfection with HIV and hepatitis C. ..
- Research Grants to Prevent Unintentional InjuriesCorinne Peek Asa; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- Mental Health Status of Male Help-Seekers for Partner Violence VictimizationDENISE HINES; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Women's Empowerment and Child Survival in the Historical United StatesNorman Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..By developing and disseminating newly digitized historical state-level mortality data, this project will aid other researchers working in this area as well. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Candidate Alleles in Cognitive Outcome After TBIThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOTHERS LIVING WITH HIV AND THEIR ADOLESCENT CHILDRENMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- INTERVENTION TO REDUCE HIV/STD RISK IN TEEN PREGNANCYJeannette Ickovics; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. ease of technology transfer). ..
- Crack & Health Service Use--A Natural History ApproachRussel Falck; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Child Psychopathology and Risk for Drug Use DisordersNAOMI MARMORSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..These hypotheses will be examined using survival analyses, odds ratios, logistic regression, and hierarchical linear modeling; the correlated nature of the twin data used in this study will be statistically controlled. ..
- Mathematical Development in Learning Diasbled ChildrenDAVID GEARY; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., working memory) that underlie MD children's developmental delays and deficits in these competencies. ..
- Domestic Violence Among Couples Seeking TherapyLorelei Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DOPAMINERGIC MODULATION WORKING MEMORY TBI--FMRI STUDYThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2003..Performance and fMRI visualized activation of WM circuitry will be characterized at baseline (on placebo) and following administration of a dopamine agonist. ..
- LEARNING DISABILITIES IN ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICSDAVID GEARY; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- The Efficacy of Reiki in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia & CFSDedra Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2003..This pilot study could potentially impact the clinical care of the estimated 6 million Americans with FM, and shape the design of future larger, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of Reiki and other energy therapies. ..
- Response Selection as a Function of AgeRobert Proctor; Fiscal Year: 2002..These guidelines will lead to development of products and environments that allow elderly adults to remain more independent and to engage safely in more activities in their daily lives. ..
- PARTNERS IN HEALTH-TEACHERS, STUDENTS, PUBLIC - PHASE 2E Burns; Fiscal Year: 2002..to: 1) develop strategies to disseminate modules and the model developed under Phase I-SEPA to new teachers and students; 2) expand the program from its current students as well as blind students, their teachers and counselors; and 3) ..
- Brief Intervention for Drug Abusing StudentsKen Winters; Fiscal Year: 2005..The intervention targets 225 middle and high school students. This school-based initiative employs a collaborative effort between University of Minnesota researchers and the ..
- Suppression in simple recognition memoryStephen Dopkins; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Brief Intervention for Alcohol Abusing StudentsKen Winters; Fiscal Year: 2007..The intervention targets 270 middle and high school students. This school-based initiative employs a collaborative effort between University of Minnesota researchers and the ..
- TRIAL OF ACTIVITY FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS (TAAG)Larry Webber; Fiscal Year: 2005..TAAG has the potential to provide a sustainable program that can be disseminated to middle schools throughout the country in order to increase physical activity for girls. ..
- Child Education, Health, and WelfareC Raver; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Social Disparities in the Early Neurobiology of StressW Boyce; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Collegiate Employment and Problem Drinking: Harmful and Protective Factors (AREA)Adam Butler; Fiscal Year: 2007..specific job demands and job resources that promote and protect against excessive alcohol consumption by college students; 2) Determine the cognitive and emotional processes linking work to alcohol use; and 3) Identify person and ..
- Cultural Competence in the Context of Type 2 DiabetesRanda Kutob; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Environmental Methods for Reducing Collegiate DrinkingMark Wood; Fiscal Year: 2008Alcohol abuse among college students is a significant and long-standing public health issue, which exerts a substantial toll on individual students, institutions of higher learning, their neighboring communities, and society at large...
- Delaware's Academic Bridge to SuccessDavid Usher; Fiscal Year: 2008..One focus of the Program will on strengthening the education of Bridges students at DTCC so that they can succeed at UD (retention)...
- Neuromechanics of Multifunctionality in AplysiaHillel Chiel; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will lead to a deeper understanding of the neuromechanical principles underlying multifunctionality. ..
- A SCHOOL PROGRAM TO ENHANCE BONE HEALTH IN GIRLSDeanna Hoelscher; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hypothesized that students in intervention schools will, on average, (1) have a 3% greater calcaneus ultrasound Stiffness Index, (2) consume ..
- IMPLICIT AND EXPLICIT MEMORY FOR FACES IN SOCIAL PHOBIAMeredith Coles; Fiscal Year: 2002..Findings from this study will be utilized to inform existing models of the psychopathology underlying SP and explore possible refinements in existing treatment interventions. ..
- Cognitive Vulnerability to Changes in OC SymptomsMeredith Coles; Fiscal Year: 2007..Documentation of the feasibility of computer-based administration of study questionnaires would greatly facilitate future longitudinal research on OCD. ..
- Promoting Mamography Usage with an Individualized Approach to Message FramingJohn Updegraff; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV/STD PREVENTION INTERVENTIONS FOR BLACK ADOLESCENTSJOHN JEMMOTT; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this project will contribute to the development of effective HIV/STD risk-reduction programs for inner-city Black ..
- C-CAPRELA: Cervical Cancer Prevention for LatinasSCOTT RHODES; Fiscal Year: 2008..developing effective interventions to reduce those disparities, and facilitating intervention delivery." [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..