Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons or animals having at least one parent in common. (American College Dictionary, 3d ed)
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Abnormal brain structure implicated in stimulant drug addictionKaren D Ersche
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute and Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Science 335:601-4. 2012..brain systems implicated in self-control in both stimulant-dependent individuals and their biological siblings who have no history of chronic drug abuse; these findings support the idea of an underlying neurocognitive ..
- Sibling comparison designs: bias from non-shared confounders and measurement errorThomas Frisell
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Epidemiology 23:713-20. 2012Twins, full siblings, and half-siblings are increasingly used as comparison groups in matched cohort and matched case-control studies...
- Assumption-free estimation of heritability from genome-wide identity-by-descent sharing between full siblingsPeter M Visscher
Genetic Epidemiology Group, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
PLoS Genet 2:e41. 2006....
- Recurrence risk for autism spectrum disorders: a Baby Siblings Research Consortium studySally Ozonoff
Department of Psychiatry, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Pediatrics 128:e488-95. 2011..This study used prospective methods to obtain an updated estimate of sibling recurrence risk for ASD...
- Nonagenarian siblings and their offspring display lower risk of mortality and morbidity than sporadic nonagenarians: The Leiden Longevity StudyRudi G J Westendorp
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:1634-7. 2009To compare the risk of mortality of nonagenarian siblings with that of sporadic nonagenarians (not selected on having a nonagenarian sibling) and to compare the prevalence of morbidity in their offspring with that of the offsprings' ..
- Sibling recurrence and the genetic epidemiology of autismJohn N Constantino
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Psychiatry 167:1349-56. 2010Although the symptoms of autism exhibit quantitative distributions in nature, estimates of recurrence risk in families have never previously considered or incorporated quantitative characterization of the autistic phenotype among siblings.
- Behavioral manifestations of autism in the first year of lifeLonnie Zwaigenbaum
Department of Paediatrics, McMaster Children s Hospital, McMaster University, PO Box 2000, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8N 3Z5
Int J Dev Neurosci 23:143-52. 2005..Our sample currently includes 150 infant siblings, including 65 who have been followed to age 24 months, who are the focus of this paper...
- Visual orienting in the early broader autism phenotype: disengagement and facilitationMayada Elsabbagh
Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, Birkbeck, University of London, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:637-42. 2009Recent studies of infant siblings of children diagnosed with autism have allowed for a prospective approach to examine the emergence of symptoms and revealed behavioral differences in the broader autism phenotype within the early years...
- Cognitive dysfunction and anxious-impulsive personality traits are endophenotypes for drug dependenceKaren D Ersche
Department of Psychiatry, Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Am J Psychiatry 169:926-36. 2012....
- Brain network connectivity in individuals with schizophrenia and their siblingsGrega Repovs
Department of Psychology, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Biol Psychiatry 69:967-73. 2011....
- Revisiting causal neighborhood effects on individual ischemic heart disease risk: a quasi-experimental multilevel analysis among Swedish siblingsJuan Merlo
Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Jan Waldenströms Street 35, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 76:39-46. 2013..In contrast the high family level VPC = 20.1% confirms the relevance of the family context for understanding IHD risk...
- Parent-infant interaction in infant siblings at risk of autismMing Wai Wan
University of Manchester, UK
Res Dev Disabil 33:924-32. 2012..As part of the British Autism Study of Infant Siblings (BASIS), 6-min videotaped unstructured play interactions of mother-infant dyads (45 at-risk sibs and 47 low-risk ..
- Strong association of de novo copy number mutations with autismJonathan Sebat
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Science 316:445-9. 2007..Affected genomic regions were highly heterogeneous and included mutations of single genes. These findings establish de novo germline mutation as a more significant risk factor for ASD than previously recognized...
- Urinary metabolic phenotyping differentiates children with autism from their unaffected siblings and age-matched controlsIvan K S Yap
Biomolecular Medicine, Division of Surgery and Cancer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington Campus, London, United Kingdom
J Proteome Res 9:2996-3004. 2010..with autism using the DSM-IV-TR criteria (n = 39; male = 35; female = 4), together with their nonautistic siblings (n = 28; male = 14; female = 14) and age-matched healthy volunteers (n = 34, male = 17; female = 17) have been ..
- Smoking during pregnancy and offspring externalizing problems: an exploration of genetic and environmental confoundsBrian M D'Onofrio
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Dev Psychopathol 20:139-64. 2008..When offspring were compared to their own siblings who differed in their exposure to prenatal nicotine, there was no effect of SDP on offspring CP and ODP...
- Association analysis of 31 common polymorphisms with type 2 diabetes and its related traits in Indian sib pairsV Gupta
South Asia Network for Chronic Disease, Public Health Foundation of India, C 1 52, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi 110016, India
Diabetologia 55:349-57. 2012..Evaluation of the association of 31 common single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) with fasting glucose, fasting insulin, HOMA-beta cell function (HOMA-β), HOMA-insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) and type 2 diabetes in the Indian population...
- Psycho-educational interventions for children with chronic disease, parents and siblings: an overview of the research evidence baseJ H Barlow
Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Health, School of Health and Social Sciences, Coventry University, Coventry, UK
Child Care Health Dev 30:637-45. 2004..The purpose of this paper is to provide an overview of the current literature regarding the effectiveness of psycho-educational interventions for children and adolescents with chronic disease, their parents and siblings.
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Gambian children who participated in a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine trial and in their younger siblingsYin Bun Cheung
Biostatistics Department, Singapore Clinical Research Institute, Singapore
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:990-5. 2009..We studied the effects of vaccination with pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on the carriage of individual serotypes and on antimicrobial resistance in vaccinated children and their younger siblings.
- Neural signatures of autismMartha D Kaiser
Yale Child Study Center, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21223-8. 2010..imaging of brain responses to biological motion in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), unaffected siblings (US) of children with ASD, and typically developing (TD) children has revealed three types of neural signatures: (..
- Strong hepatitis C virus (HCV)-specific cell-mediated immune responses in the absence of viremia or antibodies among uninfected siblings of HCV chronically infected childrenMohamed Hashem
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Infect Dis 203:854-61. 2011..We investigated HCV-specific CMI responses in seronegative children living with HCV-infected siblings.
- Out of the mouths of babes: vocal production in infant siblings of children with ASDRhea Paul
Yale Child Study Center, USA Southern Connecticut State University, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:588-98. 2011Younger siblings of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are at higher risk for acquiring these disorders than the general population. Language development is usually delayed in children with ASD...
- Potential risk for healthy siblings to develop schizophrenia: evidence from pattern classification with whole-brain connectivityMeijie Liu
College of Mechatronics and Automation, National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Neuroreport 23:265-9. 2012..e. patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, healthy siblings, and healthy controls after preprocessing), resulting in an 80...
- A novel homozygous splice acceptor site mutation of KISS1R in two siblings with normosmic isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadismM G Teles
Unidade de Endocrinologia do Desenvolvimento, Laboratório de Hormônios e Genética Molecular LIM42 da Disciplina de Endocrinologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 05403 900 Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Endocrinol 163:29-34. 2010..Loss-of-function mutations of the kisspeptin-1 receptor gene, KISS1R, have been identified in patients with normosmic isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nIHH)...
- Selective gender differences in childhood nutrition and immunization in rural India: the role of siblingsRohini P Pande
International Center for Research on Women, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 302, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Demography 40:395-418. 2003This article examines the role of the sex composition of surviving older siblings on gender differences in childhood nutrition and immunization, using data from the National Family Health Survey, India (1992-1993)...
- What are infant siblings teaching us about autism in infancy?Sally J Rogers
MIND Institute, University of California Davis, Sacramento, USA
Autism Res 2:125-37. 2009..disorders (ASDs) has recently focused on a research paradigm involving prospective longitudinal studies of infant siblings of children with autism...
- Reaction time performance in ADHD: improvement under fast-incentive condition and familial effectsPenny Andreou
MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Psychol Med 37:1703-15. 2007..Using a group familial correlation approach, we tested the hypothesis that there are shared familial effects on RT performance and ADHD...
- Genetics of white matter development: a DTI study of 705 twins and their siblings aged 12 to 29Ming Chang Chiang
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7332, USA
Neuroimage 54:2308-17. 2011..integrity voxelwise using diffusion tensor imaging at high magnetic field (4-Tesla), in 705 twins and their siblings (age range 12-29; 290 M/415 F)...
- Stress-induced responses of human skin fibroblasts in vitro reflect human longevityPim Dekker
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Aging Cell 8:595-603. 2009..in skin fibroblasts that were isolated from young and very old subjects, and from offspring of nonagenarian siblings and their partners, representatives of the general population...
- Parents, siblings and grandparents in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. A survey of policies in eight European countriesGorm Greisen
Neonatology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Paediatr 98:1744-50. 2009..To describe policies towards family visiting in Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU) and compare findings with those of a survey carried out 10 years earlier...
- Decreased left middle temporal gyrus volume in antipsychotic drug-naive, first-episode schizophrenia patients and their healthy unaffected siblingsMaorong Hu
Mental Health Institute of the Second Xiangya Hospital, Key Laboratory of Psychiatry and Mental Health of Hunan Province, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410011, PR China
Schizophr Res 144:37-42. 2013The shared neuropathological characteristics of patients with schizophrenia and their siblings might represent intermediate phenotypes that could be used to investigate genetic susceptibility to the illness...
- Concordant fetal hemoglobin response to hydroxyurea in siblings with sickle cell diseaseMartin H Steinberg
Boston University School of Medicine, Room 211, 88 E Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 72:121-6. 2003..We hypothesized that siblings with sickle cell disease are likely to share the same parental beta-like globin gene clusters with their cis-..
- Clinical characterisation of the multiple maternal hypomethylation syndrome in siblingsSusanne E Boonen
Genetic Counselling Clinic, Kennedy Center, Glostrup, Denmark
Eur J Hum Genet 16:453-61. 2008..The recurrence with affected sibs as reported in this family has implications for genetic counselling...
- Childhood trauma and psychosis: a case-control and case-sibling comparison across different levels of genetic liability, psychopathology, and type of traumaManuela Heins
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, European Graduate School of Neuroscience, South Limburg Mental Health Research and Teaching Network, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 168:1286-94. 2011..The associations of two types of childhood trauma (abuse and neglect) with psychosis symptom domains were investigated in subjects with psychotic illness, high psychosis vulnerability, and average psychosis vulnerability...
- Adult global DNA methylation in relation to pre-natal nutritionL H Lumey
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Int J Epidemiol 41:116-23. 2012..There have been no studies to date of the relation between pre-natal famine and overall global DNA methylation in adulthood...
- Prepregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain in relation to child body mass index among siblingsAmy M Branum
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3311 Toledo Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Am J Epidemiol 174:1159-65. 2011..Future studies should continue to evaluate the relative roles of important familial and environmental factors that may influence BMI and obesity in children...
- Acquisition of Helicobacter pylori infection in early childhood: independent contributions of infected mothers, fathers, and siblingsMaria Weyermann
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Aging Research, The German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 104:182-9. 2009Infected siblings, mothers, and fathers have all been suggested to be major sources for Helicobacter pylori acquisition among children, but few studies have addressed the potential role of various family members simultaneously.
- Adult mortality from sibling survival data: a reappraisal of selection biasesBruno Masquelier
Université Catholique de Louvain and Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Demography 50:207-28. 2013..Under most circumstances, corrections for selection biases should have only a modest effect on sibling estimates...
- Studying the emergence of autism spectrum disorders in high-risk infants: methodological and practical issuesLonnie Zwaigenbaum
Department of Paediatrics, McMaster Children s Hospital at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 37:466-80. 2007..Several research groups have initiated prospective studies of high-risk populations including infant siblings, to systematically collect data on early signs within a longitudinal design...
- ABCA4 mutations and discordant ABCA4 alleles in patients and siblings with bull's-eye maculopathyM Michaelides
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1650-5. 2007..To determine the frequency and nature of mutations in the gene ABCA4 in a cohort of patients with bull's-eye maculopathy (BEM)...
- Social network concordance in food choice among spouses, friends, and siblingsMark A Pachucki
University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2170-7. 2011..We investigated whether eating behaviors were concordant among diverse sets of social ties...
- Number of siblings, birth order, and childhood overweight: a population-based cross-sectional study in JapanHirotaka Ochiai
Department of Public Health, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, 142 8555, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Public Health 12:766. 2012Although several studies have investigated the relationship between the number of siblings or birth order and childhood overweight, the results are inconsistent...
- Resting-state brain activity in major depressive disorder patients and their siblingsChun hong Liu
Department of Radiology, Beijing Anding Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
J Affect Disord 149:299-306. 2013....
- Whole-exome sequencing identifies Coronin-1A deficiency in 3 siblings with immunodeficiency and EBV-associated B-cell lymphoproliferationDespina Moshous
Inserm U768, Paris, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol 131:1594-603. 2013..We evaluated 3 siblings from a consanguineous family presenting with EBV-associated B-cell lymphoproliferation at an early age (12, 7½, ..
- Separation of cognitive impairments in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder into 2 familial factorsJonna Kuntsi
MRC Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:1159-67. 2010..A better understanding of the etiological pathways is important for the development of targeted interventions and for identification of suitable intermediate phenotypes for molecular genetic investigations...
- The development of siblings of children with autism at 4 and 14 months: social engagement, communication, and cognitionNurit Yirmiya
Department of Psychology and School of Education, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mount Scopus, Israel
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 47:511-23. 2006To compare siblings of children with autism (SIBS-A) and siblings of children with typical development (SIBS-TD) at 4 and 14 months of age.
- Birth order, sibling sex ratio, handedness, and sexual orientation of male and female participants in a BBC internet research projectRay Blanchard
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Law and Mental Health Program, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1R8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 36:163-76. 2007..In subsequent analyses, participants were divided into those who did and did not have younger siblings, on the grounds that the data of the former would be less contaminated by the stopping rule...
- Siblings of Okinawan centenarians share lifelong mortality advantagesBradley J Willcox
Pacific Health Research Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:345-54. 2006..We analyzed the pedigrees of 348 centenarian families with 1142 siblings and compared sibling survival with that of the 1890 Okinawan general population cohort...
- Cumulative incidence of type 1 diabetes in 10,168 siblings of Finnish young-onset type 1 diabetic patientsValma Harjutsalo
Diabetes and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes 54:563-9. 2005The aims of our analysis were to obtain the empirical risk estimates for type 1 diabetes in the siblings of a Finnish population-based cohort of childhood-onset diabetic patients and search for demographic and other factors predicting the ..
- Hippocampal volume development in healthy siblings of childhood-onset schizophrenia patientsAnand Mattai
Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:427-35. 2011..In the present study, the authors examined hippocampal volumes in relation to age for patients with childhood-onset schizophrenia, their nonpsychotic healthy siblings, and healthy comparison subjects.
- Is maternal smoking during pregnancy a risk factor for hyperkinetic disorder?--Findings from a sibling designCarsten Obel
Department of General Practice, School of Public Health, Aarhus University, Denmark
Int J Epidemiol 40:338-45. 2011..However, social and genetic confounders may fully or partially account for these findings...
- Drug use and dependence in cocaine dependent subjects, community-based individuals, and their siblingsLaura Jean Bierut
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 95:14-22. 2008The purpose of this study was to examine substance use and dependence among cocaine dependent subjects and their siblings compared to individuals recruited from the same neighborhood and their siblings in order to better understand family ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging of boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and their unaffected siblingsSarah Durston
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:332-40. 2004..To study the influence of increased familial risk for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) on brain morphology...
- Victimization over the life span: a comparison of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and heterosexual siblingsKimberly F Balsam
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:477-87. 2005..were recruited via LGB e-mail lists, periodicals, and organizations; these participants recruited 1 or more siblings for participation in the study (81% heterosexual, 19% LGB)...
- Elevated cerebrospinal fluid F2-isoprostane levels indicating oxidative stress in healthy siblings of multiple sclerosis patientsNiklas Mattsson
Clinical Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgren s University Hospital, S 431 80 Molndal, Sweden
Neurosci Lett 414:233-6. 2007..examines the levels of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) F2-isoprostanes (F2-iPs) in MS patients (n=46), their healthy siblings (n=46) and unrelated controls (n=50)...
- Adult mortality in sub-Saharan Africa: evidence from Demographic and Health SurveysIan M Timaeus
Centre for Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine LSHTM, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Demography 41:757-72. 2004..It is time for a systematic attempt to reconcile the demographic and epidemiological evidence concerning AIDS in Africa...
- Death by survey: estimating adult mortality without selection bias from sibling survival dataEmmanuela Gakidou
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Demography 43:569-85. 2006The widely used methods for estimating adult mortality rates from sample survey responses about the survival of siblings, parents, spouses, and others depend crucially on an assumption that, as we demonstrate, does not hold in real data...
- Early language and communication development of infants later diagnosed with autism spectrum disorderShelley Mitchell
Autism Research Unit, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Dev Behav Pediatr 27:S69-78. 2006..study, we prospectively collected parent report data on early communication and language development in 97 infant siblings of children with ASD and 49 low-risk controls...
- Health status of adult long-term survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyMelissa M Hudson
Department of Hematology Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital and the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis 38105, USA
JAMA 290:1583-92. 2003..Adult survivors of childhood cancer are at risk for medical and psychosocial sequelae that may adversely affect their health status...
- Fecundity of patients with schizophrenia, autism, bipolar disorder, depression, anorexia nervosa, or substance abuse vs their unaffected siblingsRobert A Power
Social Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, England
JAMA Psychiatry 70:22-30. 2013..However, this is key to understanding their etiology and designing studies to identify risk variants...
- Sibling phenotype concordance in classical infantile Pompe diseaseWendy E Smith
Division of Genetics, The Barbara Bush Children s Hospital, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine, USA
Am J Med Genet A 143:2493-501. 2007..The age at symptom onset, age at death, and clinical course were compared between probands and affected siblings. Our results showed that since 1931, publications document 13 families with 31 affected infants (11 probands; 20 ..
- A novel deletion-insertion mutation identified in exon 3 of FXN in two siblings with a severe Friedreich ataxia phenotypeMarguerite V Evans-Galea
Bruce Lefroy Centre for Genetic Health Research, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Flemington Road, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Neurogenetics 12:307-13. 2011..Two siblings with early onset of symptoms experienced rapid loss of ambulation by 8 and 10 years...
- Identification of genetically mediated cortical networks: a multivariate study of pediatric twins and siblingsJ E Schmitt
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Cereb Cortex 18:1737-47. 2008Structural magnetic resonance imaging data from 308 twins, 64 singleton siblings of twins, and 228 singletons were analyzed using structural equation modeling and selected multivariate methods to identify genetically mediated ..
- Behavioral profiles of affected and unaffected siblings of children with autism: contribution of measures of mother-infant interaction and nonverbal communicationAgata Rozga
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 41:287-301. 2011..in social gaze and affect and in joint attention behaviors are evident within the first year of life among siblings of children with autism who go on to be diagnosed with autism or ASD (ASD) and siblings who are non-diagnosed (..
- Two adult siblings with atypical cryopyrin-associated periodic syndrome due to a novel M299V mutation in NLRP3Deepti Verma
Division of Cell Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 62:2138-43. 2010..The aim of this study was to report a novel NLRP3 mutation in 2 siblings of Swedish descent in whom symptoms first presented in adulthood.
- Molecular characterisation of gastrointestinal microbiota of children with autism (with and without gastrointestinal dysfunction) and their neurotypical siblingsShakuntla V Gondalia
Swinburne Autism Bio Research Initiative SABRI, Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
Autism Res 5:419-27. 2012..without gastrointestinal dysfunction: n = 23; with gastrointestinal dysfunction: n = 28) and their neurotypical siblings (n = 53) who share a similar environment using bacterial tag-encoded FLX amplicon pyrosequencing...
- Siblings with the adult-onset slowly progressive type of pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration and a novel mutation, Ile346Ser, in PANK2: clinical features and (99m)Tc-ECD brain perfusion SPECT findingsHiroshi Doi
Department of Clinical Neurology and Stroke Medicine, Yokohama City University, Japan
J Neurol Sci 290:172-6. 2010..The adult-onset slowly progressive type of PKAN with PANK2 mutations is very rare. In this report, we describe siblings with the adult-onset slowly progressive type of PKAN with a novel mutation, Ile346Ser, in PANK2...
- Cognitive functioning in siblings discordant for schizophreniaC Hughes
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 111:185-92. 2005The objective of this study was to investigate neuropsychological impairment as a genetically mediated risk indicator for schizophrenia while accounting for prevalence of schizotypy signs/symptoms in siblings.
- Family risk and related education and counseling needs: perceptions of adults with bipolar disorder and siblings of adults with bipolar disorderH L Peay
Social and Behavioral Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2073, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:364-71. 2009..conducting semi-structured interviews (n = 48) with individuals with bipolar disorder (BPD) and unaffected siblings. Content analysis generated descriptive data that provide guidance for clinical interventions and themes to ..
- Functional health status of adolescents after the Fontan procedure -- comparison with their siblingsCedric Manlhiot
Division of Cardiology, Labatt Family Heart Centre, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 25:e294-300. 2009..Studies have suggested that patients who have undergone the Fontan procedure experience lower functional health status and diminished exercise capacity compared with other children...
- Understanding the experiences and service needs of siblings of individuals with first-episode psychosis: a phenomenological studyJacqueline Sin
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Bracknell, UK
Early Interv Psychiatry 6:53-9. 2012Despite recent focus on developing family-inclusive services to meet the needs of young people with first-episode psychosis, the needs of their siblings are often overlooked.
- Altered antioxidant defense system in clinically stable patients with schizophrenia and their unaffected siblingsLeila Ben Othmen
Research Laboratory Trace Elements, Free Radicals and Antioxidants, Biophysics Department, Faculty of Medicine, 5000 Monastir, Tunisia
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:155-9. 2008To determine Red Blood Cell (RBC) antioxidant enzyme activities and plasma Thiobarbituric Acid Reactive Substances (TBARS) in clinically stable patients with schizophrenia and their unaffected siblings.
- Mental health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and heterosexual siblings: effects of gender, sexual orientation, and familyKimberly F Balsam
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 114:471-6. 2005..male, and bisexual (LGB) individuals were recruited via convenience sampling, and they in turn recruited their siblings (79% heterosexual, 19% LGB)...
- [Obesity in children and adolescents and their parents. Correlation of standardized body mass index between patients, their parents and siblings from the multicentre APS data]M Robl
Pädiatrie 2, Universitäts Kinderklinik Göttingen, Gottingen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:2448-53. 2008..Genetic as well as environmental factors are important in the etiology of obesity. The aim of this multicentre study was to correlate the weight of overweight or obese children and adolescents with that of their parents and siblings.
- Persistent mild hypothyroidism associated with novel sequence variants of the DUOX2 gene in two siblingsMaria Cristina Vigone
Department of Pediatrics, Endocrine Unit, Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
Hum Mutat 26:395. 2005..Reevaluation at 4 years confirmed a persistent hyperthyrotropinemia associated with PIOD. Both siblings resulted compound heterozygotes for two novel DUOX2 variants, a nonsense mutation (c.2524C>T, p...
- Adolescent siblings of individuals with an autism spectrum disorder: testing a diathesis-stress model of sibling well-beingGael I Orsmond
Department of Occupational Therapy, Boston University, 635 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 39:1053-65. 2009The purpose of this study was to test a diathesis-stress model of well-being for siblings who have a brother or sister with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Data were collected from 57 adolescents and their mothers...
- Familial risks for cervical tumors in full and half siblings: etiologic apportioningKari Hemminki
Division of Molecular Genetic Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1413-4. 2006..Full and half-siblings were identified from the nationwide Swedish Family-Cancer Database, including invasive and in situ cervical ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging traits in siblings discordant for Alzheimer diseaseKaren T Cuenco
Department of Medicine, Boston University Schools of Medicine and Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Neuroimaging 18:268-75. 2008..We evaluated semi-quantitative MRI measures as endophenotypes for genetic studies by assessing their association with AD in families from the Multi-Institutional Research in Alzheimer Genetic Epidemiology (MIRAGE) Study...
- Evolution of highly polymorphic T cell populations in siblings with the Wiskott-Aldrich SyndromeMaxim I Lutskiy
Immune Disease Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3444. 2008....
- Birth weight and cognitive ability in childhood among siblings and nonsiblingsSeungmi Yang
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatrics 122:e350-8. 2008..was to examine whether the positive association between birth weight and childhood cognitive ability is seen within siblings from the same family, as well as between nonsiblings, and to determine whether these associations vary with age.
- Perrault syndrome with Marfanoid habitus in two siblingsJubbin J Jacob
Department of Endocrinology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 20:305-8. 2007..The spectrum of the disease remains undetermined. Families with additional newer findings are regularly reported...
- Plasma cytokine levels in children with autistic disorder and unrelated siblingsA M Manzardo
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Pediatrics, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Int J Dev Neurosci 30:121-7. 2012..have been reported in AD including cytokines encoded by genes involved with cell proliferation, migration and adhesion but there is a paucity of data comparing cytokine levels in children with AD and unrelated siblings without AD.
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons of the predominant fecal microbiota compositions of a group of pediatric patients with cystic fibrosis and their healthy siblingsGwen Duytschaever
Faculty of Sciences, Laboratory of Microbiology, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:8015-24. 2011..DGGE) of 16S rRNA amplicons, we compared the predominant fecal microbiota of 21 patients with CF and 24 healthy siblings in a cross-sectional study...
- Better working memory for non-social targets in infant siblings of children with Autism Spectrum DisorderJulia S Noland
Department of Psychology and Human Development, Peabody, Box 552, 230 Appleton Place, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37203 5701, USA
Dev Sci 13:244-51. 2010We compared working memory (WM) for the location of social versus non-social targets in infant siblings of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (sibs-ASD, n = 25) and of typically developing children (sibs-TD, n = 30) at 6...
- Heritability of cardiovascular and personality traits in 6,148 SardiniansGiuseppe Pilia
Istituto di Neurogenetica e Neurofarmacologia, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Ospedale Microcitemico, Cagliari, Italy
PLoS Genet 2:e132. 2006..Evidence for heterogeneity by age and sex suggests that models allowing for these differences will be important in mapping quantitative traits...
- Schizophrenic patients and their unaffected siblings share increased resting-state connectivity in the task-negative network but not its anticorrelated task-positive networkHaihong Liu
Mental Health Institute, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Schizophr Bull 38:285-94. 2012..Comparisons between schizophrenic patients and their unaffected siblings enable further understanding of illness susceptibility and pathophysiology...
- Siblings and family environments of persons with autism spectrum disorder: a review of the literatureLaura O Smith
College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs 23:189-95. 2010The purpose of this literature review is to summarize studies on siblings of individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) in four major areas, to identify gaps in the literature, and to propose future directions for research of ..
- The genetic component of human longevity: analysis of the survival advantage of parents and siblings of Italian nonagenariansAlberto Montesanto
Department of Cell Biology, University of Calabria, Rende, Italy
Eur J Hum Genet 19:882-6. 2011Many epidemiological studies have shown that parents, siblings and offspring of long-lived subjects have a significant survival advantage when compared with the general population...
- Neuropsychological performance and auditory event related potentials in schizophrenia patients and their siblings: a family studyAli Emre Sevik
Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Ankara, Turkey
Schizophr Res 130:195-202. 2011..The aims of this study were to compare cognitive and P300/MMN measurements in schizophrenia patients, their siblings, and controls, and to identify the degree of familial influence on each measure.
- Opposite-sex siblings decrease attraction, but not prosocial attributions, to self-resembling opposite-sex facesLisa M DeBruine
School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 3FX, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:11710-4. 2011..maternal-perinatal association, modulate prosocial and inbreeding-avoidance behaviors toward specific potential siblings. These findings have been interpreted as evidence that contextual cues of kinship indirectly influence social ..
- A new lead from genetic studies in depressed siblings: assessing studies of chromosome 3Steven P Hamilton
Department of Psychiatry and Institutefor Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:783-9. 2011..Thus, the significance of this finding remains uncertain, although it points to a gene that might hold significant promise for further developments in studying the pathophysiology and treatment of major depressive disorder...
- The effect of siblings on early development: a potential contributor to personality differences in mammalsRobyn Hudson
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Dev Psychobiol 53:564-74. 2011....
- Long-term follow-up of the human phenotype in three siblings with cone dystrophy associated with a homozygous p.G461R mutation of KCNV2Christoph Friedburg
Department of Ophthalmology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:8621-9. 2011To provide an up to 14-year overview of the early ocular phenotype in siblings with a homozygous p.G461R mutation in the KCNV2 gene.
- Familial hyperestrogenism in both sexes: clinical, hormonal, and molecular studies of two siblingsRegina M Martin
Unidade de Endocrinologia do Desenvolvimento, Laboratorio de Hormonios e Genetica Molecular LIM 42, Divisão de Endocrinologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 01065 970 São Paulo, Brasil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3027-34. 2003..Here we studied two adult siblings, born to unrelated parents, who presented clinical and hormonal evidence of estrogen excess...
- Visual attention in autism families: 'unaffected' sibs share atypical frontal activationMatthew K Belmonte
Department of Human Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 4401, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:259-76. 2010..Similar autistic traits in ASC relatives without a diagnosis suggest a continuity between clinically affected and unaffected family members...
- An autistic endophenotype results in complex immune dysfunction in healthy siblings of autistic childrenMarina Saresella
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, Don C Gnocchi ONLUS Foundation IRCCS S M Nascente, Italy
Biol Psychiatry 66:978-84. 2009....
- Siblings' experiences of having a brother or sister with autism and mental retardation: a case study of 14 siblings from five familiesYlva Benderix
Department of Health Sciences, Section of Nursing, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Pediatr Nurs 22:410-8. 2007The aim of this study was to describe the present and past experiences of 14 siblings from five families in terms of having a brother or sister with autism and mental retardation...
- Triple A syndrome with ophthalmic manifestations in two siblingsKalpana Babu
Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 55:304-6. 2007..We report the ophthalmic manifestations in 2 siblings from a consanguineous family with this syndrome...
- A randomized trial of generic versus tailored interventions to increase colorectal cancer screening among intermediate risk siblingsSharon L Manne
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Behav Med 37:207-17. 2009..Tailored interventions may increase participation in appropriate colorectal cancer screening...
- Fat mass is negatively associated with cortical bone size in young healthy male siblingsYouri E C Taes
Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2325-31. 2009..Whereas lean mass exerts a positive influence on bone size, the relationship between fat and bone remains unclear...
- COL4A1 mutation in two preterm siblings with antenatal onset of parenchymal hemorrhageLinda S de Vries
Department of Neonatology, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, UMC Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann Neurol 65:12-8. 2009..To report the presence of intracerebral hemorrhage and porencephaly, both present at birth, in two preterm infants with a mutation in the collagen 4 A1 gene...
- Wilson disease in septuagenarian siblings: Raising the bar for diagnosisAftab Ala
Division of Liver Diseases, Recanati Miller Transplant Institute, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Hepatology 41:668-70. 2005..We report the clinical features, diagnostic evaluation, and outcome with treatment of two septuagenarian siblings evaluated as part of a research trial for treatment of neurological WD...
- Genome-wide recombination as a risk factor for nondisjunctionNATASHA D HOLLIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..we will examine inter-individual variation in genome-wide recombination between DS probands and their siblings. We will look at two basic characteristics: (1) the number of genome-wide recombinant events and (2) location of ..
- Pathogenesis and Treatment of Liver Disease in Transaldolase DeficiencyAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2013..TAL (TAL-/-) develop normally, they are 27-fold and 79-fold more likely to develop cirrhosis and HCC than their siblings having normal TAL gene and activity...
- Effects of In Utero and Transgenerational Exposure of Avy Mice to Bisphenol ACHERYL SUSAN ROSENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..with a de-methylated promoter develop diabetes, obesity, and, in certain strains, cancer, but their darker siblings with a brown coat color remain healthy...
- EEG Synchrony, perinatal risk and outcome: analysis of CHIME dataPHILIP GEORGE GRIEVE; Fiscal Year: 2010..death syndrome (SIDS) and include prematurely born infants, infants with apparent life threatening events (ALTE), siblings of infants with SIDS and typical infants born at term...
- The Mechanism of Cryptorchidism in LH Receptor Knockout AnimalsZhenmin Lei; Fiscal Year: 2012..mice, while Lgr8, Notch1 and Numb mRNA levels were drastically deceased as compared with age-matched wild type siblings. In contrast, the expressions of Esr1 (ER1) and Esr2 (ER2) were significantly elevated...
- Interaction of fetal growth and bisphenol A in obesityFrederick S vom Saal; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have developed a novel mouse model that results in siblings produced by hemiovariectomized mothers that range from intrauterine growth restricted (IUGR) to macrosomic based ..
- Molecular Analysis of Pericentric Sister Chromatid CohesionPAUL CONNOR MEGEE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Identification of Disease-Causing Mutations in SCID Using Exome-Wide SequencingJoseph L Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2010..the SCID patients of unknown etiology by sequencing the exomes of those patients (along with those of unaffected siblings or parents), bioinformatically identifying candidate genes that are bi-alellically inactivated and likely to be ..
- Regional Biocontainment LaboratoryCharles Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Provost and Chief Financial Officer have committed the University to pay these costs as appropriate should they exceed the balance of the start-up contingency fund. ..
- Mother Sibling InteractionsJulie A Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2010..12-14] However, little research has explored the effects on other members of the family, such as older siblings. The proposed 2-year study will use a longitudinal, comparative, mixed method design to explore the impact of a ..
- Fanconi Anemia as a Model for Susceptibility to Human Papillomavirus InfectionMELINDA SUE BUTSCHKOVACIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..of infection with 37 HPV subtypes in individuals with FA and their parents (obligate heterozygotes) and siblings (potential heterozygotes;possible sources of HPV);and 2) characterize the immunological basis (primarily natural ..
- Individual Predoctoral Dental Scientist FellowshipAngela Gullard; Fiscal Year: 2013..that the transgenic CED mouse model displays abnormal dentin formation as mediated by altered expression of the SIBLINGs, in particular MEPE, caused by the overexpression of mature TGF21...
- DNA METHYLOME STUDY IN TYPE 1 DIABETESART PETRONIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..second aim is to perform whole DNA methylome studies in peripheral blood samples from pairs of twins and non-twin siblings where only one of the twins or siblings is affected with T1D...
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Coenzyme Q10 DeficiencyMichio Hirano; Fiscal Year: 2012..Last year, we reported the first mutations responsible for primary CoQ10-deficiency;in two siblings with the infantile form of CoQ10 deficiency, we identified a homozygous missense mutation in the COQ2 gene which ..
- Newborn screening for identification &prospective followup of infants with SMAKathryn J Swoboda; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary observations from the STOP SMA study, in which younger siblings were identified early in infancy and enrolled in a subspecialty-based medical home with access to proactive care ..
- Developmental Genetic Epidemiology of SmokingHermine H Maes; Fiscal Year: 2013..but variance components do not, 3) the influence of parents and parental smoking decreases and that of siblings and peers increases from adolescence to young adulthood, 4) the influence of measured environmental factors ..
- Humanization of a mouse anti-OX40 monoclonal antibody to treat cancerAndrew D Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..Agonox is proposing to genetically engineer the mouse antibody to become more "human" so that several rounds of treatment may be administered in order to achieve an even better outcome for cancer patients in future clinical trials. ..
- Benaroya Research Institute/UCDHSC Autoimmune Cooperative Study GroupGeorge S Eisenbarth; Fiscal Year: 2011..islet autoimmunity based upon synergy of specific high risk alleles (DR3/4-DQ8) and haplotype sharing with siblings, and defined related but unique risk factors for celiac disease...
- Clinical Outcomes for Siblings of Children with Vesico-Ureteral RefluxCALEB PENNELL NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this application, I propose to investigate the clinical dilemma posed by siblings of children with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR)...
- Stem Cell Models of Familial Combined HypolipidemiaKiran Musunuru; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently, we applied exome sequencing to two healthy siblings in a family with an unusual lipid pattern that we have termed "familial combined hypolipidemia"-extremely low low-..
- Multigenerational FamIlial and Environmental Risk for Autism (MINERvA) NetworkAbraham Reichenberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..over 20,000 cases of ASD, and family linkages over three generations (grandparents, parents/aunts/uncles, siblings/cousins)...
- T1D:Investigating the Gut Microbiome, Urinary Proteome and MetabolomeRamana Madupu; Fiscal Year: 2011..urine samples from children and adolescent patient populations who have been recently diagnosed with T1D, their siblings, and at-risk cohorts from the TrialNet network (www.diabetestrialnet.org)...
- Self-Regulation and Sleep in Children At Risk for Autism Spectrum DisordersAMY J SCHWICHTENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is critically important to study the infant siblings of children with ASD because they are at risk not only for ASD, but also for numerous negative developmental ..
- Self-Regulation and Sleep in Children At Risk for Autism Spectrum DisordersAMY J SCHWICHTENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is critically important to study the infant siblings of children with ASD because they are at risk not only for ASD, but also for numerous negative developmental ..
- ETHICAL & SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF GENETIC TESTING IN THE CASE OF UNEXPECTED DEATHSSiobhan M Dolan; Fiscal Year: 2010..In these families, the possibility exists that the children, grandchildren, siblings and parents of the affected individual may suffer a similar fate...
- Homolog orientation and segregation in acentrosomal meiosisKim S McKim; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, we will test the hypothesis that the bi-orientation of homologs depends on an interaction between chromosome associated and central spindle microtubules. ..
- Use of a Fragile X premutation knock-in mouse to study FXPOIJoshua Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..a diagnosis of FXPOI, the average age at menopause of all women with the premutation is ~5 yrs earlier than their siblings without the PM...
- Aging Together: Brothers and Sisters of the Wisconsin Longitudinal StudyJohn Robert Warren; Fiscal Year: 2013..The combined "graduate" and "sibling" data-supplemented with interviews of graduates'and siblings'spouses or widows and a variety of administrative records-form the core of the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study (..
- Mineralization of the matrix in disease and healthPETER S ROWE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Key players in this bone kidney axis are a group of related extracellular matrix proteins (SIBLINGs). These proteins all map to a tightly clustered region on chromosome 4q...
- STUDIES ON OVARIAN RING CANALS IN DROSOPHILALynn Cooley; Fiscal Year: 2009..A phenotype associated with loss of follicle cells ring canals will likely provide the first insight into their function in epithelial cells. ..
- Effect of Birth Order and Genetics on Infant Parenting and Obesity RiskIan M Paul; Fiscal Year: 2013..collection occurring as part of INSIGHT, the proposed research adds two major pieces by enrolling second born siblings and collecting genetic specimens from both siblings and their parents...
- Prenatal androgen effects on sex-related neural processing of reward and threatSheri A Berenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will compare 20 women and 20 men with CAH to their same-sex unaffected siblings on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), behavioral, and self-report measures of reward and emotional memory...
- Cell Death and Antibody-Mediated Protection from AutoimmunityGREGG JOSHUA SILVERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..evaluate the profile of natural and pathologic autoantibody responses in clinical populations, including close siblings and sets of monozygotic and dizygotic twins with lupus and other autoimmune diseases...
- Genetics of Parkinsonism in a Special Population of Untreated SchizophreniaGabriel Alejandro De Erausquin; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the funds ofthis award we will focus on the clinical characterization of the probands and their siblings as well as of controls and their siblings to investigate the heritability ofa composite endophenotype including ..
- Reducing Obesity in Underserved Postpartum African American WomenCaroline M Apovian; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Small Integrin-binding Glycophosphoproteins as Biomarkers for Prostate CancerNeal S Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2013..Members of a gene family we have been studying, termed SIBLINGs (for Small Integrin Binding Ligand N-linked Glycoproteins) are normally expressed by bone but are also induced in ..
- Identification of XX DSD Mutations by RNA-seq and Comparative GenomicsVicki N Meyers-Wallen; Fiscal Year: 2013..to identify a causative mutation in the subtype of XX DSD in which XX individuals develop testes while their XX siblings develop ovotestes...
- In utero antidepressant exposures and risk for autismRoy H Perlis; Fiscal Year: 2013..consistent with twin studies indicating greater concordance for autism among dizygotic twins compared to non-twin siblings, likely pointing to shared in utero risk...
- FASEB Summer Research Conference on Osteopontin BiologyNeal S Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2010..a family of multifunctional proteins that have been termed Small Integrin-Binding LIgand N-linked Glycoproteins (SIBLINGs)...
- Regulation of Sister-Chromatid Cohesion in Drosophila MeiosisSHARON ELIZABETH BICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Community Exercise and Metabolic Syndrome in Black FamiliesDiane M Becker; Fiscal Year: 2012..Outcomes will include changes in factors that affect cardiovascular risk. Long term-outcomes will be examined at 1 and 2 years. ..
- Molecular characterization of novel loci for orofacial clefting using canine modeDanika L Bannasch; Fiscal Year: 2013..A short gestational window (63 days), large litters of full siblings and ease of DNA sample collection make the dog a useful model system...
- Genetic Predisposition & Prevention of Neural Tube Defects (NTDs)MARGARET ELIZABETH contact ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2010..wildtype siblings. In addition, the genetic and metabolic signature identified in Cd non-neural tissues will be compared against ..
- Decision Making in Unaffected First-Degree Relatives of Prostate Cancer PatientsClement Gwede; Fiscal Year: 2009..We seek to develop a decision aid (educational DVD) to help men with a positive family history of prostate cancer make informed decisions about testing, with the ultimate goal of reducing the burden of prostate cancer. ..
- Convergent Genetic and Genomic Analyses of Bipolar DisorderAyman H Fanous; Fiscal Year: 2012..of identifying causative variants, these subjects will come from families in which there are at least 3 affected siblings. We will compare the genome sequences of these subjects to the sequence data in the 1000 Genomes Project, which ..
- Occult Small Vessel Cerebrovascular Disease in High Risk FamiliesPAUL ALAN NYQUIST; Fiscal Year: 2013..a markedly increased prevalence of silent SVCD (73%) on MRI in a pilot study of 45 apparently healthy middle-aged siblings of probands with known premature coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- The health status of Caucasian and African American living with kidney donorsSandra J Taler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Comparison controls for the study will be spouses and siblings of each donor and, for a subgroup, community control subjects from the Rochester Epidemiology Project, Olmsted ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS AND MODULATION OF GLIAL ACTIVATIONLinda Van Eldik; Fiscal Year: 2009..aims are:1) to identify and phenotype 300 obese Hispanic probands (ages 4-18 y) and their biological parents and siblings, 2) to construct a 10cM map for 1600 Hispanic individuals to be used in a genome-wide scan for loci that affect ..
- Identification of radiation sensitivity alleles by whole exome sequencingPatrick Concannon; Fiscal Year: 2012..lines by candidate gene approaches have yielded results that are consistent with this model;we identified two siblings with biallelic LIG4 mutations and a second, as yet unreported, patient with biallelic mutations in RNF168...
- iPSC from British and Danish dementias: new discovery tools for brain amyloidosesJORGE A GHISO; Fiscal Year: 2013..iPSC lines from dermal fibroblasts obtained from a cohort of FBD and FDD patients as well as from non-carrier siblings of both disorders using repetitive mRNA transfections, a safer non- DNA-integrating technology successfully used ..
- The Role of SLITRK1 in Tourette and Related DisordersMatthew W State; Fiscal Year: 2010..A non-synonymous substitution at a highly conserved amino acid in the transmembrane domain in 2 affected siblings, not present in 4000 control chromosomes;and 3) in two unrelated individuals, the identical single base ..
- Influence of Psychosis on Brain-Behavior Endophenotypes for Bipolar DisorderDavid C Glahn; Fiscal Year: 2012..examinations on 130 euthymic patients with BPI (65 with history of psychosis), 130 of their unaffected same-sex siblings and 65 unrelated comparison subjects...
- TGF-beta polymorphisms and breast cancer in familiesBoris Pasche; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will study 65 genes of the TGF-2 pathway in 5357 women with breast cancer and their unaffected sisters and determine which genes are associated with breast cancer risk. ..
- 2/2-Preventing Eating Disorders and Reducing ComorbidityDENISE ELLA WILFLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..for an ED: a history of depression and/or exposure to critical comments about weight/eating from teachers/coaches/siblings and/or low-level compensatory behaviors (e.g., vomiting and purging)...
- MECHANISMS OF SITE-SPECIFIC RECOMBINATIONArthur Landy; Fiscal Year: 2012..and regulation on the iso-energetic site-specific recombination sponsored by ? Int (and its related siblings) is still not understood...
- Children's Responses to Sibling Death in NICU/PICU in 3 Racial/Ethnic GroupsJoAnne M Youngblut; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Death of a sibling is a double loss for surviving siblings - loss of a playmate, confidante, friend, role model - and loss of parents whose grief leaves them with little to no emotional energy to ..
- Quasi-experimental studies of early risk factors for severe psychopathologyPaul Lichtenstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, we will compare differentially exposed full siblings, an approach that rules out all genetic factors that could account for the statistical association between early ..
- Genome-wide recombination profiles in oocytes with chromosome 21 nondisjunctionStephanie L Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2010..of inter-individual variation in recombination among oocytes with nondisjoined chromosomes 21 and their siblings: 1) rate of genome-wide recombination and 2) preferred sites of recombination throughout the genome...
- A Longitudinal Study of Adopted Youth and Their FamiliesMATTHEW K MCGUE; Fiscal Year: 2013..At intake, each family consisted of pair of adolescent siblings and their rearing parents, a total of 2394 individuals...
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS IN LEARNING DISABILITIESRichard K Olson; Fiscal Year: 2013..listening comprehension (Project V) will be administered to a sample of identical and fraternal twins and their siblings in which at least one member of each twin pair has a reading or writing disability, to an independent sample of ..
- Investigating the role of MTBP in aging using a novel mouse modelBrian C Grieb; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, siblings of centenarians have a greater chance of becoming centenarians themselves, compared to age-matched controls...
- Natural History of Pre-diabetic Autoimmunity (DAISY)Marian J Rewers; Fiscal Year: 2010..cohorts of very young children who are at up to 20-fold increased risk of type 1 diabetes: 1) a cohort of 693 siblings and offspring (current median age 4...
- HEPATITIS C IN CLINICALLY DISCORDANT HEMOPHILIC SIBLINGSMichael Fried; Fiscal Year: 2002..We propose to study a cohort of hemophilic siblings infected with hepatitis C to define the natural history, immunologic, and genetic factors that influence its ..
- A Comparative History of Twentieth-Century Catholic HospitalsBarbra Mann Wall; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will provide a complex illustration of what it means for institutions to encounter drastic change and emerge with a new vision and community purpose. ..
- Family Decision Making in Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantRebecca Pentz; Fiscal Year: 2009..It is widely assumed by the transplant community and the courts that donor siblings benefit from transplant...
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- HYPERKINETIC BOYS AND THEIR SIBLINGS AS YOUNG ADULTSJan Loney; Fiscal Year: 1991..In the proposed two-year grant period, data analysis for the 21 to 23 year old samples will be conducted. Analyses that are appropriate for the partial sample of 28 to 32 year old subjects and brothers will also be conducted...
- INTERVENTION FOR SIBLINGS, EXPERIENCE ENHANCEMENT (ISEE)Phoebe Williams; Fiscal Year: 2000Research into the amelioration of mental health problems of siblings of chronically ill/disabled children is essential to control future morbidity...
- Genetics of Longevity in Long-Lived SiblingsSangkyu Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..While recruiting the human subjects residing in Louisiana, we encountered rare families in which siblings tend to live exceptionally long...
- SUSCEPTIBILITY GENES FOR HUMAN COLON NEOPLASIASanford Markowitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be accomplished by identifying and collecting DNA from a cohort of 300 pairs of siblings in which the two members of each sibship have each developed colon neoplasia by age 65 or younger...
- 2007 Small Intergin Binding Proteins Gordon Research ConferenceNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2007..Normally expressed by skeletal tissue, SIBLINGs are thought to play a role in mineralization as well as cellular adhesion and migration...
- Coronary Disease Detection by Thalluim SPECT and Fast CTLewis Becker; Fiscal Year: 2006..coronary calcification (ultrafast computed tomography) in a high-risk asymptomatic population of 30-59 year old siblings of people with premature CAD...
- Substance Dependent Adolescents: Imaging Risk-TakingThomas J Crowley; Fiscal Year: 2010..We also will examine patients'at-risk 9-11 year-old younger siblings, and control youngsters, before any of the siblings engage in extensive substance use...
- Sibling-mediated Social Communicative Intervention for Children with Autism SpectLING LING TSAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Children with autism, however, spend the majority of their time in home and community environments. Siblings in those settings might well be able to support or enhance social communicative development of children with ..
- COMMUNITY-SITE CORONARY RISK CONTROL IN BLACK FAMILIESDiane Becker; Fiscal Year: 2000..to usual primary care source) for the management of coronary heart disease risk factors in African American siblings of persons with premature coronary disease...