- Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal health differentials in Australian prisoners
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice Justice Health, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:366-71. 2007
Compare the self-reported physical and mental health of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal prisoners in New South Wales (NSW).
- The health of prisoners
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, UK
Lancet 377:956-65. 2011
..Mental disorders and infectious diseases are more common in prisoners than in the general population...
- Public health implications for adequate transitional care for HIV-infected prisoners: five essential components
Sandra A Springer
AIDS Program, Section of Infectious Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:469-79. 2011
..Few effective linkage-to-the-community programs are currently available for prisoners infected with HIV...
- Where there's smoke, there's fire: high prevalence of smoking among some sub-populations and recommendations for intervention
Centre for Mental Health Studies, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, and Alcohol and Drug Service, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 25:85-96. 2006
..culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, as well as people with mental and substance use disorders and prisoners. The aims of this paper are to: describe the high prevalence of smoking among these particular sub-populations ..
- HIV in prison in low-income and middle-income countries
Program of International Research and Training, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Lancet Infect Dis 7:32-41. 2007
..We reviewed imprisonment, HIV prevalence, and the proportion of prisoners who are IDUs in 152 low-income and middle-income countries...
- Serious mental disorder in 23000 prisoners: a systematic review of 62 surveys
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, OX3 7JX, Oxford, UK
Lancet 359:545-50. 2002
..We did a systematic review of surveys on such disorders in general prison populations in western countries...
- The diagnostic performance of a single GeneXpert MTB/RIF assay in an intensified tuberculosis case finding survey among HIV-infected prisoners in Malaysia
Haider Abdulrazzaq Abed Al-Darraji
Centre of Excellence for Research in AIDS, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia
PLoS ONE 8:e73717. 2013
..We assessed the diagnostic accuracy of a single Xpert assay in an intensified case finding survey among HIV-infected prisoners in Malaysia.
- Severe mental illness in 33,588 prisoners worldwide: systematic review and meta-regression analysis
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, UK
Br J Psychiatry 200:364-73. 2012
High levels of psychiatric morbidity in prisoners have been documented in many countries, but it is not known whether rates of mental illness have been increasing over time or whether the prevalence differs between low-middle-income ..
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) among longer-term prison inmates is a prevalent, persistent and disabling disorder
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Psychiatry, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Psychiatry 10:112. 2010
..We estimated the prevalence of ADHD among longer-term prison inmates, described symptoms and cognitive functioning, and compared findings with ADHD among psychiatric outpatients and healthy controls...
- Psychiatric disorders in youth in juvenile detention
Linda A Teplin
Psycho Legal Studies Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Univerity, 710 N Lake Shore Dr, Suite 900, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:1133-43. 2002
..Yet, there are few empirical studies. Until we have better epidemiologic data, we cannot know how best to use the system's scarce mental health resources...
- HIV, alcohol dependence, and the criminal justice system: a review and call for evidence-based treatment for released prisoners
Sandra A Springer
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, AIDS Program, 135 College Street, Suite 323, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 37:12-21. 2011
..HIV-infected prisoners with AUDs face many obstacles as they transition back to the community...
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection and its related risk factors in drug abuser prisoners in Hamedan--Iran
Amir Houshang Mohammad Alizadeh
Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 7th Floor, Taleghani Hospital, Yaman Str, Evin, Tehran 19857, Iran
World J Gastroenterol 11:4085-9. 2005
Recent studies in Iran has shown that prevalence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection among Iranian prisoners is high, in spite of low HCV seroprevalence in general population.
- Scaling up methadone maintenance treatment for opioid-dependent prisoners in Iran
The Iran Prison Organisation, Tehran, Iran
Int J Drug Policy 21:422-4. 2010
Research evidence indicates that prisoners in Iran are at risk of drug-related harm, including acquisition of blood-borne infections...
- Smoking among female prisoners: an ignored public health epidemic
Department of Psychiatry, Campus of the Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980109, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Addict Behav 29:425-31. 2004
The Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) surveyed 866 female prisoners about tobacco use and interest in a smoking cessation program...
- Impaired reversal but intact acquisition: probabilistic response reversal deficits in adult individuals with psychopathy
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 115:552-8. 2006
..Results are discussed with reference to current models of the development of psychopathy...
- Imprisonment and women's health: concerns about gender sensitivity, human rights and public health
Brenda J van den Bergh
World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Bull World Health Organ 89:689-94. 2011
The health of prisoners is among the poorest of any population group and the apparent inequalities pose both a challenge and an opportunity for country health systems...
- Chest radiograph screening for tuberculosis in a Hong Kong prison
C C Leung
Department of Health, TB and Chest Service, 4 F Shaukiwan Jockey Club Clinic, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:627-32. 2005
Long-stay prisoners are not regularly screened for TB in Hong Kong.
- Suicides in male prisoners in England and Wales, 1978-2003
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet 366:1301-2. 2005
..We therefore compared, in narrow age bands, all 1312 suicides of male prisoners in England and Wales between 1978 and 2003 with suicide rates in the general male population...
- The antisocial brain: psychopathy matters
Forensic and Neurodevelopmental Sciences Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, England, UK
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:962-72. 2012
..The population of men who display persistent antisocial and violent behavior is heterogeneous. Callous-unemotional traits in childhood and psychopathic traits in adulthood characterize a distinct subgroup...
- Psychiatric morbidity among sentenced prisoners: prevalence study in Iran
Seyed Mohammad Assadi
Roozbeh Psychiatric Hospital, South Kargar Avenue, Tehran 13337, Iran
Br J Psychiatry 188:159-64. 2006
Information on psychiatric morbidity of prisoners has almost entirely been based on research in Western countries and it is uncertain whether these research findings are applicable to other settings.
- Patterns of drug use and HIV-related risk behaviors among incarcerated people in a prison in Iran
Department of Global Health and Socio Epidemiology, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
J Urban Health 87:603-16. 2010
Previous research indicates that prisoners in Iran are at risk of drug-related harm, including acquisition of blood-borne infections...
- Chronic Strongyloides stercoralis infection in former British Far East prisoners of war
G V Gill
Department of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool L3 5QA
QJM 97:789-95. 2004
Chronic infections with the nematode worm Strongyloides stercoralis can occur in former WWII Far East prisoners of war (FEPOWs). The condition may be asymptomatic, but frequently causes a characteristic urticarial 'larva currens' rash...
- A qualitative inquiry into methadone maintenance treatment for opioid-dependent prisoners in Tehran, Iran
Department of Global Health and Socio Epidemiology, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Int J Drug Policy 21:167-72. 2010
This study aimed to investigate the context in which methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) is provided for opioid-dependent prisoners, and to identify barriers against further scale-up of MMT in Ghezel Hesar prison in Tehran.
- Correlates of HIV, HBV, HCV and syphilis infections among prison inmates and officers in Ghana: A national multicenter study
Andrew A Adjei
Department of Pathology, University of Ghana Medical School, College of Health Sciences, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
BMC Infect Dis 8:33. 2008
..Prison officers are considered to have an intermittent exposure potential to bloodborne infectious diseases on the job, however there has been no studies on the prevalence of these infections in prison officers in Ghana...
- Clearance of hepatitis C viremia associated with cellular immunity in the absence of seroconversion in the hepatitis C incidence and transmission in prisons study cohort
Jeffrey J Post
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Infect Dis 189:1846-55. 2004
..These cases highlight the potential for cellular immune responses against HCV to facilitate viral clearance, responses that may model those required for effective HCV vaccination...
- Human immunonodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus: sero-prevalence, co-infection and risk factors among prison inmates in Nasarawa State, Nigeria
Moses P Adoga
Virology Department, Innovative Biotech Ltd, 1 Abdu Abubakar Street, GRA, P O Box 30, Keffi, Nigeria
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:539-47. 2009
..We set out to establish the seroprevalence, co-infection, and risk factors for these infections for the first time among prison inmates in Nasarawa State, Nigeria...
- Psychiatric disorders and repeat incarcerations: the revolving prison door
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:103-9. 2009
..The authors examined this association in a retrospective cohort study of the nation's largest state prison system...
- Prevalence and predictors of sexually transmitted infection among newly incarcerated females
Denise M Willers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine and Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:68-72. 2008
..To examine demographic and behavioral characteristics in incarcerated women to determine which characteristics are associated with prevalent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Vaccination against hepatitis B among prisoners in Iran: accelerated vs. classic vaccination
Ali Asghar Zolghadr Asli
Islamic Azad University, Istahban Branch, Istahban, Iran
Health Policy 100:297-304. 2011
b>Prisoners and injecting drug users are at constant risk of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and the classic 6-months HBV vaccination might not provide immunization rapidly enough...
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection and risk factors of drug using prisoners in Guilan province
Z Mohtasham Amiri
Department of Community Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Islamic Republic of Iran
East Mediterr Health J 13:250-6. 2007
..4%) were HCV antibody positive (88.9% of intravenous drug abusers). HCV-positive status was significantly associated with intravenous drug use, having skin tattoos and number of times in prison...
- Rationale, study design and sample characteristics of a randomized controlled trial of directly administered antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected prisoners transitioning to the community - a potential conduit to improved HIV treatment outcomes
Ali Shabahang Saber-Tehrani
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, AIDS Program, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 33:436-44. 2012
HIV-infected prisoners experience poor HIV treatment outcomes post-release...
- Tobacco use by male prisoners under an indoor smoking ban
Ross M Kauffman
Division of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:449-56. 2011
..Patterns of tobacco use among prisoners were explored to determine the impact of incarceration in a facility with an indoor smoking ban on tobacco use ..
- Suicide in recently released prisoners: a population-based cohort study
Centre for Suicide Prevention, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Lancet 368:119-23. 2006
Several studies have been undertaken on suicide in custody, but few on suicide after the release from prison. We undertook a population-based cohort study to investigate suicide rates in recently released prisoners in England and Wales.
- The self-reported health status of prisoners in New South Wales
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice Corrections Health Service, Eastgardens, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:344-50. 2004
..To describe the physical health of the New South Wales prisoner population...
- Drug use, increasing incarceration rates, and prison-associated HIV risks in Thailand
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
AIDS Behav 7:153-61. 2003
..Incarceration is a known risk for HIV infection in Thai drug users. Through the 1990s, incarceration rates for drug-related offenses rose sharply, whereas HIV prevention and drug treatment in prisons remained limited...
- HIV and incarceration: prisons and detention
J Int AIDS Soc 14:26. 2011
The high prevalence of HIV infection among prisoners and pre-trial detainees, combined with overcrowding and sub-standard living conditions sometimes amounting to inhuman or degrading treatment in violation of international law, make ..
- Social determinants and the health of drug users: socioeconomic status, homelessness, and incarceration
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, 10029 5293, USA
Public Health Rep 117:S135-45. 2002
..This article reviews the evidence on the adverse health consequences of low socioeconomic status, homelessness, and incarceration among drug users...
- Meta-analysis of drug-related deaths soon after release from prison
Elizabeth L C Merrall
MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge, UK
Addiction 105:1545-54. 2010
..For precise, up-to-date understanding of these risks, a meta-analysis was conducted on the risk of drug-related death in weeks 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 compared with later 2-week periods in the first 12 weeks after release from prison...
- How criminal system racial disparities may translate into health disparities
Martin Y Iguchi
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 16:48-56. 2005
- Correlates of HIV, HBV, and HCV infections in a prison inmate population: results from a multicentre study in Italy
Istituto Malattie Infettive, Universita di Sassari, Sassari, Italy
J Med Virol 76:311-7. 2005
..Although it is possible that the study population is not representative of Italy's prison inmate population, the results stress the need to improve infection control measures users was prisons...
- Four-year follow-up of imprisoned male heroin users and methadone treatment: mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C infection
Kate A Dolan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Addiction 100:820-8. 2005
..To examine the long-term impact of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) on mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C seroconversion in imprisoned male heroin users...
- Improved HIV and substance abuse treatment outcomes for released HIV-infected prisoners: the impact of buprenorphine treatment
SANDRA ANN SPRINGER
Yale AIDS Program, 135 College Street, Suite 323, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Urban Health 87:592-602. 2010
HIV-infected prisoners fare poorly after release. Though rarely available, opioid agonist therapy (OAT) may be one way to improve HIV and substance abuse treatment outcomes after release...
- Health and human rights concerns of drug users in detention in Guangxi Province, China
J Elizabeth Cohen
Independent Consultant, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e234. 2008
..We conducted an assessment of the impact of detention on drug users' access to HIV prevention and treatment services and consequent threats to fundamental human rights protections...
- Mass incarceration can explain population increases in TB and multidrug-resistant TB in European and central Asian countries
Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Cambridge, Free School Lane, Cambridge CB2 1ST, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13280-5. 2008
..Although the number of prisoners is a significant determinant of differences in TB incidence and multidrug-resistant TB prevalence among ..
- Prevalence of pulmonary tuberculosis and comparative evaluation of screening strategies in a Brazilian prison
Secretaria de Administração Penitenciária do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:633-9. 2005
..A prison (1171 male inmates) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...
- HIV/AIDS among inmates of and releasees from US correctional facilities, 2006: declining share of epidemic but persistent public health opportunity
Anne C Spaulding
Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7558. 2009
..with HIV/AIDS beyond the crime-prone years, and success with discharge planning programs targeting HIV-infected prisoners could explain the declining concentration of the epidemic among correctional populations...
- Substance abuse and dependence in prisoners: a systematic review
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, UK
Addiction 101:181-91. 2006
To review studies of the prevalence of substance abuse and dependence in prisoners on reception into custody.
- Molecular characteristics of HIV type 1 infection among prisoners from Central Western Brazil
Ludimila Paula Vaz Cardoso
Tropical Pathology and Public Health Institute, Federal University of Goias, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 27:1349-53. 2011
Abstract This study among antiretroviral-experienced prisoners from central western Brazil investigated mutations associated with secondary resistance to nucleoside/nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTI/NNRTI), protease ..
- Face affect recognition deficits in personality-disordered offenders: association with psychopathy
University of Manchester and Bolton, Salford and Trafford Mental Health Trust, Manchester, UK
Psychol Med 36:1563-9. 2006
..However, many of these studies have small samples, and few include a healthy control group in order to examine the contribution of criminality...
- Characteristics of and trends in subgroups of prisoner suicides in England and Wales
Centre for Suicide Prevention, School of Community Based Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Psychol Med 41:2275-85. 2011
The suicide rate is higher in prisoners compared with the general population. The aim was to describe the characteristics of and longitudinal trends in prisoner suicides in England and Wales.
- Hepatitis C virus reinfection among prisoners with sustained virological response after treatment for chronic hepatitis C
Health Services of Barcelona Men s Penitentiary Centre, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 59:45-51. 2013
..We estimated HCV reinfection rate and its associated risk factors in inmates with chronic hepatitis C who had achieved sustained virological response (SVR) after completing combination therapy while in prison...
- Use of the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI) as a screening tool in prisons: results of a preliminary study
Donald W Black
Department of Psychiatry, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 32:158-62. 2004
..Subjects had a mean of 2.8 disorders. The potential use of the MINI as a screening tool in prison settings is discussed...
- Self-reported suicidal behavior in juvenile offenders in custody: prevalence and associated factors
Prospect Park Hospital, Tilehurst, Reading, UK
Crisis 25:8-11. 2004
- Contribution of imitative suicide to the suicide rate in prisons
Camden and Islington Mental Health and Social Care Trust
Suicide Life Threat Behav 37:538-42. 2007
..Model simulations with an imitation rate of 5.8% (CI 1%-11%) reproduced the observed space-time clustering...
- Depression, hopelessness and suicide ideation among vulnerable prisoners
Emma J Palmer
Clinical Division of Psychiatry, Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester General Hospital, Gwendolen Road, Leicester LE5 5PW, UK
Crim Behav Ment Health 15:164-70. 2005
Self-harm among prisoners is high, and suicide rates increasing. Assessment of depressive characteristics is easy. To what extent are these linked with previous self-harm?
- Antiretroviral outcomes in South African prisoners: a retrospective cohort analysis
Natasha E C G Davies
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital and Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
PLoS ONE 7:e33309. 2012
Little is known about antiretroviral therapy (ART) outcomes in prisoners in Africa. We conducted a retrospective review of outcomes of a large cohort of prisoners referred to a public sector, urban HIV clinic...
- Low incidence of hepatitis C virus among prisoners in Scotland
School of Social Sciences, University of the West of Scotland, Paisley, Scotland
Addiction 108:1296-304. 2013
To estimate hepatitis C virus (HCV) incidence and HCV risk among Scottish prisoners.
- A national case–control study of risk factors for suicide among prisoners in England and Wales [corrected]
Centre for Mental Health and Risk, University of Manchester, Jean McFarlane Building, Second Floor, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 48:1177-85. 2013
To examine risk factors for suicide among prisoners in a national population.
- Validating a distinction between primary and secondary psychopathy with measures of Gray's BIS and BAS constructs
Joseph P Newman
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 114:319-23. 2005
..Results for primary psychopathy were as predicted. Results for secondary psychopathy clearly supported the strong BAS prediction but provided mixed support for the normal BIS prediction...
- Viral hepatitis and HIV infection among injection drug users in a central Iranian City
Arak University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Addict Med 6:292-6. 2012
- Prevalence and characteristics of trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in female prisoners in China
Mental Health Institute, 2nd Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410011, People s Republic of China
Compr Psychiatry 47:20-9. 2006
..In the present study, the authors investigated the relationship between the frequency and type of traumatic events and the prevalence of PTSD among female prisoners in China.
- Comparison of hepatitis C virus treatment between incarcerated and community patients
John P Rice
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792 5124, USA
Hepatology 56:1252-60. 2012
..Incarceration status was not a significant predictor when added to this model (P = 0.075)...
- The effects of a prison smoking ban on smoking behavior and withdrawal symptoms
Karen L Cropsey
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980109, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Addict Behav 30:589-94. 2005
..An interaction was found such that distressed smokers had the highest level of nicotine withdrawal. These results have implications for how smoking bans are instituted in prison settings...
- Mental disorders in female prisoners
Christine S Tye
Acute Assessment Unit, Melbourne Assessment Prison, West Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:266-71. 2006
..The objective of the study was to investigate the rates of mental disorder among women in prison in Victoria, and to compare with community rates...
- Incarceration and risk for HIV infection among injection drug users in Bangkok
Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Bangkok, Thailand
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:86-94. 2002
..Previous cross-sectional studies have shown strong relationships between incarceration and HIV infection but have not been able to assess potential causal pathways...
- Mental health care in prisons
Br J Psychiatry 182:287-8. 2003
- The use of real-time PCR to identify Entamoeba histolytica and E. dispar infections in prisoners and primary-school children in Ethiopia
Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute, PO Box 1242, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:43-8. 2004
..histolytica. Faecal samples were therefore collected from 363 primary-school students and 409 prisoners from various regions of Ethiopia...
- The first condom machine in a US jail: the challenge of harm reduction in a law and order environment
Center for Health Justice, 900 Avila Street, Suite 301, Los Angeles, CA 90012, USA
Am J Public Health 100:982-5. 2010
Most US jails and prisons do not provide condoms to prisoners because of concerns about possible negative consequences...
- Smoking cessation intervention for female prisoners: addressing an urgent public health need
Department of Psychiatry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Substance Abuse Center, 401 Beacon Parkway West, Birmingham, AL 35209, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1894-901. 2008
..We tested the efficacy of a combined pharmacologic and behavioral smoking cessation intervention among women in a state prison in the southern United States...
- Risk factors and prevalence of tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus, syphilis, hepatitis B virus, and hepatitis C virus among prisoners in Pakistan
Abdul M Kazi
Departments of Preventive Medicine, Biostatistics and Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Institute for Global Health, 2215 Garland Ave, Nashville, TN 37232 0242, USA
Int J Infect Dis 14:e60-6. 2010
The objective of this study was to evaluate the burden of sexual- and injection drug use-related infections in male prisoners in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Deficient response modulation and emotion processing in low-anxious Caucasian psychopathic offenders: results from a lexical decision task
Amanda R Lorenz
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706, USA
Emotion 2:91-104. 2002
..The authors propose that deficient response modulation may underlie both the emotional and cognitive deficits associated with low-anxious psychopaths...
- Prison inmates' suicidal ideation in China: a study of gender differences and their impact
Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 54:959-83. 2010
..The results call for different approaches and treatments toward both gender groups for suicide prevention in Chinese correctional facilities...
- Substance misuse among prisoners in England and Wales
Office for National Statistics, London, UK
Int Rev Psychiatry 15:150-2. 2003
- Prison suicide in 12 countries: an ecological study of 861 suicides during 2003-2007
Centre for Suicide Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 46:191-5. 2011
Although suicide rates among prisoners are high and vary between countries, it is uncertain whether this reflects the importation of risk from the general population or is associated with incarceration rates.
- Psychiatric and social aspects of suicidal behaviour in prisons
WHO Collaborating Centre, David Goldberg Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Denmark Hill, London
Psychol Med 35:257-69. 2005
..Suicidal behaviour and completed suicide are serious problems within British prisons, leading to significant morbidity and mortality, and are the focus of major efforts towards their prevention...
- Methylphenidate treatment of adult male prison inmates with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial with open-label extension
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Psychiatry and Center of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Psychiatry 200:68-73. 2012
..Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is highly prevalent in prison inmates, but pharmacological treatment has not yet been evaluated in this group...
- Preventing death among the recently incarcerated: an argument for naloxone prescription before release
Sarah E Wakeman
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Addict Dis 28:124-9. 2009
..A pre-release program of overdose prevention education, including Naloxone prescription, for inmates with a history of opiate addiction would likely prevent many overdose deaths...
- Recommendations for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic hepatitis B and C in special population groups (migrants, intravenous drug users and prison inmates)
Piero L Almasio
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:589-95. 2011
..When dealing with special population groups, social, environmental and clinical factors should be considered when selecting candidates for therapy as indicated by national and international guidelines...
- Retention on buprenorphine is associated with high levels of maximal viral suppression among HIV-infected opioid dependent released prisoners
Sandra A Springer
Section of Infectious Disease, AIDS Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38335. 2012
HIV-infected prisoners lose viral suppression within the 12 weeks after release to the community...
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis C infection and associated risk factors among addicted prisoners in Sari-Iran
Department of Community Health Nursing, Nasibeh Nursing and Midwifery College, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 12:1012-8. 2009
..study was to determine the seroprevalence of hepatitis C infection and associated risk factors among addicted prisoners in Sari-Iran...
- [Psychiatric disorders and childhood trauma in prisoners with antisocial personality disorder]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Ernst Moritz Arndt Universität Greifswald am Hanseklinikum Stralsund
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 77:152-9. 2009
Previous studies indicate high prevalence rates of mental disorders and trauma among prisoners. Based on a sample of 102 male German prisoners, the comorbidity and childhood trauma experiences in 72 criminals with antisocial personality ..
- Prevalence of pulmonary tuberculosis and associated risk factors in Eastern Ethiopian prisons
D S Abebe
Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:668-73. 2011
..To determine the prevalence of pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) and associated risk factors among inmates in three major prison settings of Eastern Ethiopia...
- Smoking and its correlates in an Australian prisoner population
Josephine M Belcher
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice and School of Public Health, University of New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 25:343-8. 2006
Despite evidence of high rates of smoking among prisoners, there has been limited research that describes smoking patterns and risk factors associated with smoking in this group...
- Psychiatric disorders in women prisoners who have engaged in near-lethal self-harm: case-control study
Centre for Suicide Research, University Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, UK
Br J Psychiatry 197:219-26. 2010
Female prisoners are 20 times more likely to die by suicide than women of the same age in the general population. However, risk factors and indicators of vulnerability for suicide in this group are not well-known.
- Psychosocial influences on prisoner suicide: a case-control study of near-lethal self-harm in women prisoners
University Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 72:874-83. 2011
..We interviewed 60 women prisoners who had recently engaged in near-lethal self-harm (cases) and 60 others who had never carried out near-lethal ..
- Prevalence and correlates of hepatitis C virus infection among injecting drug users in Tehran
Department of Global Health and Socio Epidemiology, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Drug Policy 18:359-63. 2007
..While prevention interventions for drug using inmates are being expanded in Iran, it is important that high prevalence of HCV infection be taken into consideration in order to control further transmission of this infection...
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV in Ukraine: a threatening convergence of two epidemics?
Project Office, World Health Organization, Donetsk, Ukraine
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:756-62. 2008
..To investigate anti-tuberculosis (TB) drug resistance rates in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine, and to explore the association between the epidemics of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB)...
- HIV-related research in correctional populations: now is the time
Josiah D Rich
Brown University Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 8:288-96. 2011
..This is especially relevant given recent evidence of the effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy in reducing HIV transmission...
- Enrollment in outpatient care among newly released prison inmates with HIV infection
Jacques G Baillargeon
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Public Health Rep 125:64-71. 2010
Although many prisoners infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) initiate and adhere to treatment regimens while incarcerated, the benefits of in-prison therapy are frequently lost after community reentry...
- Mental disorders in Australian prisoners: a comparison with a community sample
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice, Eastgardens, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:272-6. 2006
..b>Prisoners are generally excluded from community-based surveys and to date no studies have compared prisoners to the ..
- Testing for HIV, sexually transmitted infections, and viral hepatitis in jails: still a missed opportunity for public health and HIV prevention
Timothy P Flanigan
Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:S78-83. 2010
..Jail-based screening of infectious diseases, especially for HIV and STIs, in conjunction with treatment and linkage to community care has thus far been a neglected component of HIV prevention among high-risk communities...
- The vulnerability of Brazilian female prisoners to HIV infection
Laboratório de Investigação Médica, LIM 01, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:771-6. 2004
..The study was carried out from August to October 2000 in a São Paulo State Penitentiary, where 299 female prisoners were serving time. We interviewed and obtained a blood sample from 290 females who agreed to enter the study...
- Prevalence of chronic medical conditions among jail and prison inmates in the USA compared with the general population
I A Binswanger
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 63:912-9. 2009
..Despite growing inmate populations in the USA, inmates are excluded from most national health surveys and little is known about whether the prevalence of chronic disease differs between inmates and the non-institutionalised population...
- Substantial use of primary health care by prisoners: epidemiological description and possible explanations
J M Feron
Centre Universitaire de Medecine Generale, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Mounier 5360, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:651-5. 2005
..To describe the use of primary care services by a prisoner population so as to understand the great number of demands and therefore to plan services oriented to the specific needs of these patients...
- Antiretroviral treatment regimen outcomes among HIV-infected prisoners
Sandra A Springer
Yale University AIDS Program, New Haven, CT 06510 2283, USA
HIV Clin Trials 8:205-12. 2007
..Despite the high prevalence of HIV in correctional settings, the duration of therapy and response to various highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) regimens in this setting is unknown...
- Can morbidity be inferred from prescription drug use? Results from a nation-wide prison population study
Centre for Research and Education in Forensic Psychiatry, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Epidemiol 20:587-92. 2005
..To estimate psychiatric and somatic morbidity in a nation-wide prison population, as inferred from detailed medication sheets...
- Differential success rates in racial groups: results of a clinical trial of smoking cessation among female prisoners
Karen L Cropsey
Department of Psychiatry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 401 Beacon Parkway West, Birmingham, AL 35209, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:690-7. 2009
..This study replicated prior observations of racial differences in smoking cessation in which Black smokers have demonstrated lower smoking cessation rates than White smokers...
- Adverse effects of US jail and prison policies on the health and well-being of women of color
Program in Urban Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1895-9. 2002
- Suicide risk among recently released prisoners in New South Wales, Australia
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 187:387-90. 2007
To determine the risk of suicide and drug overdose death among recently released prisoners.
- Release from prison--a high risk of death for former inmates
Ingrid A Binswanger
Puget Sound Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Seattle, USA
N Engl J Med 356:157-65. 2007
..The period immediately after release may be challenging for former inmates and may involve substantial health risks. We studied the risk of death among former inmates soon after their release from Washington State prisons...
- Extreme cause-specific mortality in a cohort of adult prisoners--1988 to 2002: a data-linkage study
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice, Sydney, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 36:310-6. 2007
..Describe the standardized mortality ratio (SMR) and its trend in adults who have served time in prison...