Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons living in the United States of Mexican descent.
Publications360 found, 100 shown here
- Organophosphate pesticide exposure and neurodevelopment in young Mexican-American childrenBrenda Eskenazi
Center for Children s Environmental Health Research, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7380, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:792-8. 2007..Organophosphate (OP) pesticides are widely used in agriculture and homes. Animal studies suggest that even moderate doses are neurodevelopmental toxicants, but there are few studies in humans...
- Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans. The San Antonio Family Heart StudyB D Mitchell
Department of Genetics, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Tex 78245 0549, USA
Circulation 94:2159-70. 1996....
- Large scale mitochondrial sequencing in Mexican Americans suggests a reappraisal of Native American originsSatish Kumar
Department of Genetics, Texas Biomedical Research Institute, San Antonio, 78227, USA
BMC Evol Biol 11:293. 2011..mtDNA data, presented over the past two decades, have been used to suggest a single-migration model for which the Beringian land mass plays an important role...
- The definition of insulin resistance using HOMA-IR for Americans of Mexican descent using machine learningHui Qi Qu
Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Sciences, Brownsville Regional Campus, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21041. 2011..This study defines the reference range of HOMA-IR index in an adult Hispanic population based with machine learning methods...
- Racial and ethnic residential segregation, the neighborhood socioeconomic environment, and obesity among Blacks and Mexican AmericansKiarri N Kershaw
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 680 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Epidemiol 177:299-309. 2013..These associations were not mediated by neighborhood poverty or negative income incongruity. These findings suggest variability in the interrelationships between residential segregation and obesity for black and Mexican-American women...
- Neighborhood context and cognitive decline in older Mexican Americans: results from the Hispanic Established Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the ElderlyKristin M Sheffield
Division of Sociomedical Sciences, Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550 1153, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:1092-101. 2009..Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly, a longitudinal study of community-dwelling older Mexican Americans (n = 3,050) residing in the southwestern United States...
- Beyond acculturation: immigration, discrimination, and health research among Mexicans in the United StatesEdna A Viruell-Fuentes
Harvard School of Public Health, Cambridge, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:1524-35. 2007..The paper concludes by proposing a conceptual model that locates "othering" processes within a structural framework, and by drawing implications for research on immigrant health and on discrimination and health...
- Discovery of expression QTLs using large-scale transcriptional profiling in human lymphocytesHarald H H Goring
Department of Genetics, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
Nat Genet 39:1208-16. 2007....
- High-fat diet is associated with obesity-mediated insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction in Mexican AmericansMary Helen Black
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, CA, USA
J Nutr 143:479-85. 2013..in participants of BetaGene, a family-based study of obesity, insulin resistance, and β-cell dysfunction in Mexican Americans. Dietary intake, body composition, insulin sensitivity (SI), and β-cell function [Disposition Index (DI)] ..
- Ethnic differences in exercise among adults with diabetesFelecia G Wood
University of Alabama, Capstone College of Nursing, Tuscaloosa, USA
West J Nurs Res 24:502-15. 2002..There were no significant differences in amount of exercise by ethnic group. Gardening and walking were the preferred forms of exercise across age, gender, ethnicity, and treatment...
- Acculturation and healthy lifestyle habits among Hispanics in United States-Mexico border communitiesSuad Ghaddar
South Texas Border Health Disparities Center, The University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, Texas, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 28:190-7. 2010..To explore the relationship between acculturation and healthy lifestyle habits in the largely Hispanic populations living in underserved communities in the United States of America along the U.S.-Mexico border...
- Neighborhood socioeconomic context and cognitive decline among older Mexican Americans: results from the Sacramento Area Latino Study on AgingAdina Zeki Al Hazzouri
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 2029, USA
Am J Epidemiol 174:423-31. 2011..Participants (n = 1,789) were community-dwelling older Mexican Americans from the Sacramento Area Latino Study on Aging...
- Frailty in older Mexican AmericansKenneth J Ottenbacher
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1524-31. 2005To identify sociodemographic characteristics and health performance variables associated with frailty in older Mexican Americans.
- Mexican Americans and frailty: findings from the Hispanic established populations epidemiologic studies of the elderlyKenneth J Ottenbacher
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Public Health 99:673-9. 2009..We examined the prevalence of frailty among Mexican American older adults and explored the correlates associated with becoming frail to determine their affect on disability and morbidity in this population...
- Food acculturation drives dietary differences among Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Non-Hispanic WhitesCarolina Batis
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Nutr 141:1898-906. 2011Our aim was to examine the effects of food acculturation on Mexican Americans' (MA) diets, taking the Mexican diet as reference...
- Hispanic chronic disease self-management: a randomized community-based outcome trialKate R Lorig
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
Nurs Res 52:361-9. 2003..In light of health disparities and the growing prevalence of chronic disease, there is a need for community-based interventions that improve health behaviors and health status. These interventions should be based on existing theory...
- A strong dose-response relation between serum concentrations of persistent organic pollutants and diabetes: results from the National Health and Examination Survey 1999-2002Duk Hee Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyungpook University, 101 Dongin dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, Korea 700 422
Diabetes Care 29:1638-44. 2006..Low-level exposure to some persistent organic pollutants (POPs) has recently become a focus because of their possible link with the risk of diabetes...
- Racial and ethnic differences in secular trends for childhood BMI, weight, and heightDavid S Freedman
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:301-8. 2006..The prevalence of childhood overweight in the United States has markedly increased over the last 30 years. We examined differences in the secular trends for BMI, weight, and height among white, black, and Mexican-American children...
- Multiple QTLs influence variation in paraoxonase 1 activity in Mexican AmericansDeidre A Winnier
Department of Genetics, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, PO Box 760549, San Antonio, TX 78245 0549, USA
Hum Biol 78:341-52. 2006..We have provided evidence that other genes, in addition to the well-known ones on chromosome 7, play a role in influencing normal variation in PON1 activity...
- The effect of diabetes combined with stroke on disability, self-rated health, and mortality in older Mexican Americans: results from the Hispanic EPESEMax E Otiniano
Department of Internal Medicine, Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0460, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:725-30. 2003..with stroke affects functional activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs), self-rated health, and 5-year mortality in elderly Mexican Americans with or without other comorbid conditions.
- Excess stroke in Mexican Americans compared with non-Hispanic Whites: the Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi ProjectLewis B Morgenstern
Stroke Program, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0316, USA
Am J Epidemiol 160:376-83. 2004b>Mexican Americans are the largest subgroup of Hispanics, the largest minority population in the United States. Stroke is the leading cause of disability and third leading cause of death...
- Dietary associations of household food insecurity among children of Mexican descent: results of a binational studyLisa G Rosas
Center on Social Disparities in Health, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:2001-9. 2009..This study aimed to understand the level of perceived food insecurity and its association with dietary intake among children of Mexican descent residing in the United States and Mexico...
- Human capital, resources, and healthy childbearing for Mexican women in a new destination immigrant communityCatherine H Bernosky de Flores
Department of Education and Staff Development, Littleton Regional Hospital, Littleton, NH 03561, USA
J Transcult Nurs 21:332-41. 2010..To describe a healthy mother, a healthy pregnancy, a healthy baby, and the resources essential for achieving these goals from the perspective of Mexican women in a new destination immigrant community in the United States...
- Birthplace is associated with more adverse dietary profiles for US-born than for foreign-born Latino adultsKiyah J Duffey
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
J Nutr 138:2428-35. 2008..Targeted dietary interventions are needed to reduce health disparities associated with dietary intake...
- Hunger in young children of Mexican immigrant familiesMargaret Kersey
Department of Pediatrics, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Public Health Nutr 10:390-5. 2007..To measure rates of hunger and food insecurity among young US-born Latino children with Mexican immigrant parents (Latinos) compared with a non-immigrant non-Latino population (non-Latinos) in a low-income clinic population...
- The association of subjective social status and health in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in TexasLuisa Franzini
University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:788-804. 2006..Sociocultural characteristics appear to mediate the effect of SSS on health. In particular, perceived victimization might mediate the effect of SSS on mental health...
- Health-related quality of life among Mexican Americans living in colonias at the Texas-Mexico borderNelda Mier
Department of Social and Behavioral Health, School of Rural Public Health, South Texas Center, Texas A and M Health Science Center, 2101 S McColl Road, Room 134, McAllen, TX 78503, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1760-71. 2008..The study population is Mexican Americans in the Texas-Mexico border region living in colonias - unincorporated, impoverished settlements with ..
- Diabetes as a predictor of change in functional status among older Mexican Americans: a population-based cohort studyJasmanda H Wu
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Diabetes Care 26:314-9. 2003Epidemiological studies have demonstrated that older Mexican Americans are at high risk for type 2 diabetes and its complications...
- Socioeconomic status and prevalence of obesity and diabetes in a Mexican American community, Cameron County, Texas, 2004-2007Susan P Fisher-Hoch
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Campus, 80 Fort Brown, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A53. 2010b>Mexican Americans are at increased risk for obesity and diabetes...
- Food security and nutritional outcomes of preschool-age Mexican-American childrenLucia L Kaiser
Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, 95616, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:924-9. 2002..To examine the relationship of food insecurity to nutrition of Mexican-American preschoolers...
- Paradox lost: explaining the Hispanic adult mortality advantageAlberto Palloni
Center for Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconcin Madison, USA
Demography 41:385-415. 2004..However, we were unable to account for the mortality advantage observed among other foreign-born Hispanics...
- Genetic polymorphism of cytochrome P450 2C19 in Mexican Americans: a cross-ethnic comparative studyHuai Rong Luo
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, 66160 7417, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:33-40. 2006Our objectives were to investigate cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2C19 polymorphism in Mexican Americans and compare the findings with those in 4 other ethnic groups.
- Consumption of energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods by adult Americans: nutritional and health implications. The third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994A K Kant
Department of Family, Nutrition, and Exercise Sciences, Queens College of the City University of New York, Flushing, NY 11367, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 72:929-36. 2000..Current dietary guidance recommends limiting the intake of energy-dense, nutrient-poor (EDNP) foods, but little is known about recent consumption patterns of these foods...
- Culturally competent diabetes self-management education for Mexican Americans: the Starr County border health initiativeSharon A Brown
School of Nursing, The University of Texas at Austin, P O Box 7996, Austin, TX, USA
Diabetes Care 25:259-68. 2002To determine the effects of a culturally competent diabetes self-management intervention in Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetes.
- Ethnic differences in the ability of triglyceride levels to identify insulin resistanceAnne E Sumner
Clinical Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, United States
Atherosclerosis 196:696-703. 2008..73). The prevalence of each syndrome was lower in NHB than NHW or Mexican Americans (MA) (all P<0.05)...
- Neighborhood context and mortality among older Mexican Americans: is there a barrio advantage?Karl Eschbach
University of Texas Medical Branch, Department of Internal Medicine Geriatrics, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1807-12. 2004We examined whether Mexican Americans living in high-density Mexican American neighborhoods experience increased morbidity and mortality compared with the rates observed among Mexican Americans living in low-density areas.
- A major susceptibility locus influencing plasma triglyceride concentrations is located on chromosome 15q in Mexican AmericansR Duggirala
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Hum Genet 66:1237-45. 2000..This putative locus appears to have a major influence on ln TG variation...
- Prevalence and trends in overweight in Mexican-american adults and childrenKatherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Nutr Rev 62:S144-8. 2004..Data on measured height and weight for Mexican Americans come from the following surveys: the Hispanic Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (HHANES, 1982-84), the ..
- Waist circumference percentiles in nationally representative samples of African-American, European-American, and Mexican-American children and adolescentsJose R Fernandez
Section on Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, Clinical Nutrition Research Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 3360, USA
J Pediatr 145:439-44. 2004..To describe and provide estimates of the distribution of waist circumference (WC) according to percentiles in African-, European-, and Mexican-American children, and to test for group differences at different percentiles...
- Association of a corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor 1 haplotype and antidepressant treatment response in Mexican-AmericansJ Licinio
Center for Pharmacogenomics and Clinical Pharmacology, Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1761, USA
Mol Psychiatry 9:1075-82. 2004..These findings also suggest that variations in the CRHR1 gene may affect response to CRHR1 agonists or antagonists. All data are deposited in www.pharmgkb.org...
- Profiles of sedentary behavior in children and adolescents: the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2006Susan B Sisson
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:353-9. 2009..To describe the prevalence of time spent in sedentary behaviors (e.g., TV/video and computer use) among youth in the US...
- The health of older Mexican Americans in the long runHector M Gonzalez
Institute of Gerontology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 48202, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1879-85. 2009We compared risk for several medical illnesses between immigrant and US-born older Mexican Americans to determine the relationship between functional health and years of US residency among immigrants.
- Do acculturation and family cohesiveness influence severity of diabetes among Mexican Americans?Neda Moayad
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, School of Public Health, Fort Worth, USA
Ethn Dis 16:452-9. 2006The goal of the study was to evaluate the effect of family cohesiveness, acculturation, socioeconomic position, and cardiovascular risk factors on severity of diabetes among Mexican Americans.
- Genetic and environmental influences on thyroid hormone variation in Mexican AmericansPaul B Samollow
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, P O Box 760549, San Antonio, TX 78245 0549, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3276-84. 2004....
- Effects of nativity, age at migration, and acculturation on smoking among adult Houston residents of Mexican descentAnna V Wilkinson
Department of Epidemiology, Unit 1340, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, PO Box 301439, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1043-9. 2005..We investigated differences in smoking behaviors between US-and Mexican-born ever smokers and examined the influence of US culture on smoking initiation...
- Acculturation, weight, and weight-related behaviors among Mexican Americans in the United StatesIndu B Ahluwalia
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Centers for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, CA 30341 3717, USA
Ethn Dis 17:643-9. 2007This analysis explores the association between acculturation and body weight, self-perceptions of weight, and attempt to lose weight among Mexican Americans.
- Health-related quality of life in a binational population with diabetes at the Texas-Mexico borderNelda Mier
South Texas Center, School of Rural Public Health, Texas A and M Health Science Center, McAllen, Texas, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 23:154-63. 2008....
- Trends in the control of risk factors for cardiovascular disease among adults with diagnosed diabetes: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2008*Earl S Ford
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Diabetes 3:337-47. 2011..The aim of the present study was to examine trends in the control of key risk factors for cardiovascular disease among adults with diagnosed diabetes in the US from 1999 to 2008...
- Cognitive status and future risk of frailty in older Mexican AmericansMukaila A Raji
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:1228-34. 2010..cognitive impairment and frailty share common risk factors (eg, high proinflammatory cytokines), we examined whether poor cognition predicts subsequent risk of frailty in initially nonfrail Mexican Americans aged 67 years and older.
- Associated pathways between neighborhood environment, community resource factors, and leisure-time physical activity among Mexican-American adults in San Diego, CaliforniaSuzanna M Martinez
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Am J Health Promot 26:281-8. 2012..To examine pathways between individual, social, and environmental factors associated with leisure-time physical activity (LTPA) among Mexican-American adults...
- Metabolic syndrome is linked to chromosome 7q21 and associated with genetic variants in CD36 and GNAT3 in Mexican AmericansVidya S Farook
Department of Genetics, Texas Biomedical Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:2083-92. 2012..We performed linkage screen for MS using data from 692 Mexican Americans, who participated in the San Antonio Family Diabetes/Gallbladder Study (SAFDGS)...
- The ability of multifamily groups to improve treatment adherence in Mexican Americans with schizophreniaAlex Kopelowicz
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:265-73. 2012..Although family psychoeducation has demonstrated efficacy in improving outcomes in schizophrenia, empirical support for its ability to enhance medication adherence is scarce...
- Lifetime prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders among urban and rural Mexican Americans in CaliforniaW A Vega
School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 55:771-8. 1998....
- Type 2-diabetes is associated with elevated levels of TNF-alpha, IL-6 and adiponectin and low levels of leptin in a population of Mexican Americans: a cross-sectional studyS Mirza
Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Science, University of Texas Health Sciences Center Houston School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, Brownsville, Texas, USA
Cytokine 57:136-42. 2012..design we compared pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in a community-recruited cohort of 367 Mexican Americans with type 2-diabetes having a wide range of blood glucose levels...
- Using anthropometric indicators for Mexicans in the United States and Mexico to understand the selection of migrants and the "Hispanic paradox"Eileen M Crimmins
Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, Andrus Gerontology Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0191, USA
Soc Biol 52:164-77. 2005..Results support a role for selection in the Hispanic paradox and demonstrate the importance of education and childhood health as determinants of late-life health in both Mexico and the United States...
- Acculturation in the United States is associated with lower serum carotenoid levels: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyJim P Stimpson
Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107 2699, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1218-23. 2007..Years residence in the United States was positively associated with higher lycopene levels (26.69 vs 32.03). Acculturation in the United States was associated with lower fruit and vegetable intake, as measured by serum carotenoid levels...
- The effect of urinary cadmium on cardiovascular fitness as measured by VO2 max in white, black and Mexican AmericansHeartley Egwuogu
Institute of Public Health, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Environ Res 109:292-300. 2009..We explored potential effects of cadmium exposure on cardiovascular fitness measures, including gender and racial/ethnic differences...
- Depression predicts increased incidence of adverse health outcomes in older Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetesSandra A Black
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2822-8. 2003To examine the separate and combined effects of depression and diabetes on the incidence of adverse health outcomes among older Mexican Americans.
- Sampling and recruitment in studies of cultural influences on adjustment: a case study with Mexican AmericansMark W Roosa
Prevention Research Center, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
J Fam Psychol 22:293-302. 2008..Thus, using culturally appropriate adaptations to common recruitment strategies makes it possible to recruit representative samples of Mexican Americans.
- Gender and treatment differences in knowledge, health beliefs, and metabolic control in Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetesS A Brown
School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, 1700 Red River, Austin, TX 78701, USA
Diabetes Educ 26:425-38. 2000The purpose of this project was to describe metabolic control, knowledge, and health beliefs of Mexican Americans with type 2 diabetes.
- Blood pressure control, hypertension, awareness, and treatment in adults with diabetes in the United States-Mexico border regionMaya Vijayaraghavan
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 28:164-73. 2010..S. side of the border ("all U.S. adults," "U.S.-born Hispanics," and "Mexican immigrants")...
- Effects of PON polymorphisms and haplotypes on molecular phenotype in Mexican-American mothers and childrenKaren Huen
Center for Children s Environmental Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Environ Mol Mutagen 52:105-16. 2011..Functional effects of PON genetic variation related to susceptibility to OPs and oxidative stress also differed by age and should be considered in protecting vulnerable subpopulations...
- TRP64ARG beta 3-adrenergic receptor and obesity in Mexican AmericansK Silver
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hum Genet 101:306-11. 1997..We genotyped 61 unrelated Mexican Americans for a variant in the beta 3AR gene (codon 64 TGGTrp-->CGGArg; TRP64ARG). The allele frequency was 0.13...
- Access to care, acculturation, and risk factors for stroke in Mexican Americans: the Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi (BASIC) projectMelinda A Smith
Stroke Program, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, USA
Stroke 34:2671-5. 2003b>Mexican Americans are the largest subgroup of Hispanic Americans, now the most numerous US minority population...
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose: cross-sectional study of multiethnic adult population at the United States-Mexico borderBeatriz A Díaz-Apodaca
Biomedical Sciences Institute, Department of Research and Graduate Studies, Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico
Rev Panam Salud Publica 28:174-81. 2010....
- Diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidemia in Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whitesRobin P Hertz
US Outcomes Research Population Studies, Pfizer Global Pharmaceuticals, New York, New York, USA
Am J Prev Med 30:103-10. 2006Ethnic disparities in healthcare quality have been documented, but knowledge of differences in cardiovascular risk factor prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control between Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites remains incomplete.
- Health status of Mexican-origin persons: do proxy measures of acculturation advance our understanding of health disparities?Olivia Carter-Pokras
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 10:475-88. 2008..This paper compares select health status indicators between the U.S. and Mexico, and within the Mexican-origin population using proxy measures of acculturation...
- Neighbourhood composition and depressive symptoms among older Mexican AmericansG V Ostir
Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 57:987-92. 2003..This study investigated the association between neighbourhood poverty and neighbourhood percentage Mexican American and depressive symptoms for older Mexican Americans in the south western United States.
- Individual and area-based indicators of acculturation and the metabolic syndrome among low-income Mexican American women living in a border regionKARLA ESPINOSA DE LOS MONTEROS
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, University ofCalifornia, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1979-86. 2008..We sought to examine the relationships between individual and area-based indicators of acculturation and metabolic syndrome (MetS) risk among a sample of Mexican American women living in the California-Baja California border region...
- Cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican-American children at risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)Ximena Urrutia-Rojas
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas 76107, USA
J Adolesc Health 34:290-9. 2004..To assess risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and cardiovascular disease (CVD) with the hypothesis that risk for T2DM in children would be associated with an increase in risk factors for CVD...
- Lipoprotein lipase is a gene for insulin resistance in Mexican AmericansMark O Goodarzi
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Steven Spielberg Pediatric Research Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Diabetes 53:214-20. 2004..resistance gene, we performed the hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp in a large family-based population of Mexican Americans who were genotyped at six polymorphisms in LPL that define the most common haplotypes in the population...
- Wide disparity in genetic admixture among Mexican Americans from San Antonio, TXJoke Beuten
Department of Pediatrics Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Ann Hum Genet 75:529-38. 2011....
- Demographically corrected norms for the Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-revised and Hopkins Verbal Learning Test-revised in monolingual Spanish speakers from the U.S.-Mexico border regionM Cherner
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, HIV Neurobehavioral Research Center, San Diego, CA92103, USA
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 22:343-53. 2007..Because the age range of our sample was limited, the norms presented should not be applied to elderly populations...
- Access to health care among Latinos of Mexican descent in colonias in two Texas countiesLarry Ortiz
University of Maryland School of Social Work, 20201, USA
J Rural Health 20:246-52. 2004..Findings reaffirm the importance of looking within ethnic subpopulations to understand the complexities of health disparities...
- Haplotypes of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene and its upstream region are associated with type 2 diabetes and age of onset in Mexican AmericansDonna M Lehman
Department of Medicine Clinical Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Diabetes 56:389-93. 2007..type 2 diabetes in the San Antonio Family Diabetes Study (SAFADS) cohort consisting of extended pedigrees of Mexican Americans to the region of chromosome 10q harboring TCF7L2...
- Depressive symptoms and cognitive change in older Mexican AmericansMukaila A Raji
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Internal Medicine University of Texas Medical Branch, TX 77555 0460, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 20:145-52. 2007..16) and subsequent cognitive function (Mini-Mental State Examination [MMSE]) over a 7-year period in older Mexican Americans, a prospective cohort study was performed...
- Frailty and incidence of activities of daily living disability among older Mexican AmericansSoham Al Snih
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
J Rehabil Med 41:892-7. 2009To examine the association between frailty status and incidence of disability among non-disabled older Mexican Americans.
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene polymorphisms and their association with type 2 diabetes-related traits in Mexican AmericansFarook Thameem
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Diab Vasc Dis Res 5:109-13. 2008..examined for their association with type 2 diabetes (T2DM)-related traits in various populations but not in Mexican Americans. However, the results from such studies have been controversial...
- Genetics of variation in HOMA-IR and cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican-AmericansV Saroja Voruganti
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, TX 78245 0549, USA
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:303-11. 2008..Significant genetic correlations between HOMA-IR and phenotypes related to CVD risk factors suggest that a common set of gene(s) influence the regulation of these phenotypes...
- Trends in hypercholesterolemia, treatment and control among United States adultsEarl S Ford
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, United States
Int J Cardiol 140:226-35. 2010..The objective of this study was to examine trends in the prevalence of hypercholesterolemia, having a cholesterol check, awareness, treatment, and control among United States adults...
- Sequence variations of ABCB1, SLC6A2, SLC6A3, SLC6A4, CREB1, CRHR1 and NTRK2: association with major depression and antidepressant response in Mexican-AmericansC Dong
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Center for Pharmacogenomics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Mol Psychiatry 14:1105-18. 2009..A total of 56 280 000 bp across were sequenced in 536 unrelated Mexican Americans from Los Angeles (264 controls and 272 major depressive disorder (MDD))...
- Frailty and health related quality of life in older Mexican AmericansMeredith C Masel
The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston 301 University Blvd Route 1137, Galveston, TX 77555 1137, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:70. 2009..The purpose of this study was to elicit the relationship between being non-frail, pre-frail, or frail and health related quality of life in a representative sample of older Mexican Americans surveyed in 2005-2006.
- Blood pressure and cerebral white matter share common genetic factors in Mexican AmericansPeter Kochunov
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Research Imaging Institute, San Antonio, TX 78284, USA
Hypertension 57:330-5. 2011..anisotropy of water diffusion, a sensitive measurement of WM integrity in a well-characterized population of Mexican Americans. The patterns of whole-brain and regional genetic overlap between BP and fractional anisotropy were ..
- Maternal pesticide exposure and neural tube defects in Mexican AmericansJean D Brender
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Texas A and M Health Science Center, School of Rural Public Health, College Station, TX 77843 1266, USA
Ann Epidemiol 20:16-22. 2010..The relation between maternal pesticide exposures and neural tube defects (NTDs) in offspring was evaluated in 184 Mexican American case-women and 225 comparison women...
- Economic stress, parenting, and child adjustment in Mexican American and European American familiesRoss D Parke
Department of Psychology, University of California, Riverside, CA 95251, USA
Child Dev 75:1632-56. 2004..problems for European Americans, whereas marital problems were linked to child adjustment problems for Mexican Americans. Maternal acculturation was associated with both higher marital problems and lower hostile parenting...
- Association of organophosphate pesticide exposure and paraoxonase with birth outcome in Mexican-American womenKim G Harley
Center for Environmental Research and Children s Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e23923. 2011..We explored whether paraoxonase (PON1), a key enzyme involved in detoxification of OPs, could be an effect modifier in this association...
- Health related quality of life in older Mexican Americans with diabetes: a cross-sectional studyJames E Graham
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 5:39. 2007..S. is growing at a tremendous rate. While ethnic-related risk and complications of diabetes are widely-acknowledged for older Hispanics, less is known about how health related quality of life is affected in this population...
- Diabetes risk factors in low-income Mexican-American childrenR P Trevino
Social and Health Research Center, San Antonio, TX 78210, USA
Diabetes Care 22:202-7. 1999..To learn if Mexican-American children from low income neighborhoods have excess diabetes risk factors...
- Relationship of child-feeding practices to overweight in low-income Mexican-American preschool-aged childrenHugo R Melgar-Quinonez
Department of Human Nutrition, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1110-9. 2004..The purpose of this research was to examine the relationship of child-feeding practices and other factors to overweight in low-income Mexican-American preschool-aged children...
- Another Mexican birthweight paradox? The role of residential enclaves and neighborhood poverty in the birthweight of Mexican-origin infantsTheresa L Osypuk
Northeastern University, Bouve College of Health Sciences, 360 Huntington Avenue, Robinson 316, Boston, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 70:550-60. 2010..Our findings highlight a differential effect of context by nativity, and the potential health effects of ethnic enclaves, which are possibly a marker of downward assimilation, among US-born Mexican-origin women...
- Diabetes mellitus and incidence of lower body disability among older Mexican AmericansSoham Al Snih
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1152-6. 2005Little is known about the effect of diabetes mellitus on subsequent lower body disability in older Mexican Americans, one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in the United States...
- Models of acculturation and health behaviors among Latino immigrants to the USE Arcia
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Soc Sci Med 53:41-53. 2001....
- Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and control in older Mexican Americans, 1993-2005Majd AlGhatrif
Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch UTMB, Galveston, USA
Ann Epidemiol 21:15-25. 2011To describe trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control among older Mexican Americans living in the Southwestern United States from 1993-1994 to 2004-2005.
- Risk factors for falling in older Mexican AmericansCarlos A Reyes-Ortiz
Division of Geriatrics, Sealy Center on Aging, Galveston, Texas, USA
Ethn Dis 14:417-22. 2004..To estimate the prevalence of falls and the risk factors associated with falls in Mexican-American men and women aged 72 and older, from the Hispanic Established Population for the Epidemiological Study of the Elderly...
- Handgrip strength and cognitive decline in older Mexican AmericansAna Alfaro-Acha
Sealy Center on Aging, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:859-65. 2006Cognitive decline and dementia are associated with disability and premature death in old age. We examined whether low handgrip strength predicts subsequent cognitive decline in older Mexican Americans.
- Longitudinal changes in PON1 enzymatic activities in Mexican-American mothers and children with different genotypes and haplotypesKaren Huen
Center for Children s Environmental Health, 50 University Hall, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 244:181-9. 2010..In addition to known PON1 polymorphisms, unidentified environmental, genetic, or epigenetic factors may also influence variability of PON1 expression and therefore susceptibility to OPs and oxidative stress...
- A study of dietary patterns in the Mexican-American population and their association with obesityPatricia M Carrera
Department of Nutrition, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1735-42. 2007..Examination Survey 2001-2002 indicate that prevalence of overweight and obesity continues to rise among Mexican Americans. Little is know about the dietary factors associated with this trend...
- A community intervention on portion control aimed at weight loss in low-income Mexican American womenMary Ann Faucher
Louise Herrington School of Nursing, Baylor University, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 55:60-4. 2010..47). Mean weight loss, regardless of group, was significantly greater when participants reported self-weighing (P = .02). This pilot study in portion control for low-income Mexican American women merits further study...
- A randomized community intervention to improve hypertension control among Mexican Americans: using the promotoras de salud community outreach modelHECTOR G BALCAZAR
University of Texas, Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 20:1079-94. 2009..community health worker) pilot program to improve hypertension control among medically underserved Mexican Americans of the El Paso, Texas area, and 2) to demonstrate improvements in clinical measures of blood pressure, BMI ..
- Relationship between frailty and cognitive decline in older Mexican AmericansRafael Samper-Ternent
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:1845-52. 2008To examine the association between frailty status and change in cognitive function over time in older Mexican Americans.
- Disparities in undiagnosed diabetes among United States-Mexico border populationsPamela Stoddard
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 28:198-206. 2010..S.)-Mexico border, examine explanations for differences between groups, and investigate differences in metabolic outcomes by diagnosis status...
- RidCancerPain Intervention in a Hispanic Population Along the US-Mexico BorderKRISTYNIA MARIE contact ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..applicant): Developing, testing, and refining a culturally and linguistically appropriate intervention for Mexican Americans with cancer pain will contribute to the elimination of health disparities in this population...
- For Hearing Component in the Hispanic Community Health Study (HCHS)Lisa Lavange; Fiscal Year: 2009..Compared to non-Hispanics, Mexican Americans are half as likely to have their hypertension controlled, more than twice as often report no usual health ..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..about what is impaired behavior, the severity of the behavior, and the need for treatment in a sample of Mexican Americans, island Puerto Rican and non-Latino providers and parents...
- Coregulatory Processes and Postpartum Depression in Mexican-AmericansLinda J Luecken; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genetics of Elevated High Density Lipoprotein CholesterolDANIEL JAMES RADER; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. (NHANES III) comprised of whites, non-Hispanic blacks, and Mexican Americans (n=7159)...
- Genome-wide association to Staphylococcus carriageCraig L Hanis; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., identification of novel pathways associated with carriage or genes associated with susceptibility will allow for the development of new interventions to eliminate carriage or treat infections. ..
- A Genetic Study of Blood Metabolites and Their Relationship To Diabetes Risk.HARALD HEINZ HERBERT GORING; Fiscal Year: 2013..study investigating genetic risk for complex diseases and associated quantitative risk factors in Mexican Americans families...
- ROBUST AND POWERFUL TEST OF CANDIDATE GENES TO BONE MASSHong Wen Deng; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim IV: Replication studies, in Chinese Han, US Caucasians, Blacks, and Mexican Americans. Stage 2 (Secondary): Functional studies of molecular and cellular mechanisms of novel significant genes ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF FUNCTIONAL STATUS IN ELDERLY HISPANICSMary N Haan; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Mexican Americans have higher prevalence of diabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome at younger ages compared to non-Hispanic ..
- Obesity, Muscle Strength, and Disability in Older Mexican Americans and Elders frSoham Al Snih; Fiscal Year: 2010..the prevalence of obesity and the relationship between obesity, muscle strength, and disability among older Mexican Americans in the United States (U.S.) and elders from Latin America and the Caribbean...
- Naphthalene exposure, chromosomal aberrations in poor urban school children.Manuela A Orjuela; Fiscal Year: 2012..in CCCEH 5 year olds are elevated compared to median levels in US children, though comparable to levels in Mexican Americans[10,11]...
- Comprehensive SNP Discovery in SLC2A9. A Candidate Gene for Uric Acid NephropathyVenkata Saroja Voruganti; Fiscal Year: 2013..a strong association between polymorphisms in solute carrier family 2, member 9 (SLC2A9) and SUA levels in Mexican Americans. This is a replication of published work by others that has shown association of variants in the SLC2A9 gene ..
- Sociocultural Factors and Cardiometabolic Risk in Mexican-American WomenLinda C Gallo; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mexican Americans display elevated social (e.g., low socioeconomic status;SES) and metabolic (e.g., obesity;metabolic syndrome;MetSyn) risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS AND MODULATION OF GLIAL ACTIVATIONLinda Van Eldik; Fiscal Year: 2009..For type specifications, see instructions on page 6.) RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- The Risk of Long-Term Care in Older Mexican-American FamiliesJacqueline L Angel; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Mexican Americans suffer disproportionately from disabling conditions like diabetes that increase their risk of care in a ..
- Social status, cellular aging, and mortalityElissa S Epel; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Cross-Cultural Comparison of Interactions Between Anxious Mothers and ChildrenAraceli Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2011..Parenting behaviors are often implicated in the development of youth anxiety;however, behaviors of anxious Mexican Americans, who place different cultural value on practices such as parental control, have not been examined...
- GENETICS OF ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN MEXICAN AMERICANSJohn Blangero; Fiscal Year: 2012..SAFHS), the first comprehensive genetic epidemiological study of atherosclerosis and its correlates in Mexican Americans. Its long-term goal is to detect, characterize, map, and identify new polymorphic genes that influence ..
- Center for Research Translation in SclerodermaMAUREEN MAUREEN MAYES; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Monetary incentives and intrinsic motivation to sustain hypertension controlMartin F Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2010..among two vulnerable populations: African Americans, who suffer disproportionately from hypertension, and Mexican Americans, who have the lowest hypertension control rates of any demographic group in the United States...
- Genetic Determinants of Human Transcriptional AgingSARAH A WILLIAMS-BLANGERO; Fiscal Year: 2012..Extensive genome-wide genotypic and transcriptomic data from 1,240 Mexican Americans who are members of large extended pedigrees will be used...
- LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF MEXICAN AMERICAN ELDERLY HEALTHKyriakos S Markides; Fiscal Year: 2013..The study's baseline was conducted during 1993-1994 when a representative sample of 3,050 Mexican Americans age 65 and over residing in the five Southwestern states - Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and ..
- ALCOHOL PHARMACOGENETICS IN MEXICAN AMERICANSYU JUI WAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..continuation application will systematically explore and examine genetic mechanisms for alcoholism in Mexican Americans. This ongoing research program has started to identify unique genetic patterns that might be in part ..
- Transforming Cancer Knowledge, Attitudes and Behavior through NarrativeSheila T Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2013..be equally divided among four ethnic groups - African Americans, European Americans, Korean Americans and Mexican Americans - all of whom are at elevated risk for breast or ovarian cancer...
- Mexican American Glaucoma Genetic Study (MAGGS)Xiaoyi Gao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Glaucoma disproportionately affects Mexican Americans (MAs)...
- Advanced strategies for genotype imputationSEBASTIAN ZOELLNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, algorithms will be applied using datasets on African Americans from Baltimore, Mexican Americans from Starr County, Texas, and the 1000 Genomes Project...
- GWAS for Sleep Apnea and Endothelial Function Among Mexican AmericansCraig L Hanis; Fiscal Year: 2013..we propose to measure this axis of non-traditional risk factors in 1,200 previously characterized Mexican Americans from Starr County, Texas, for whom we will already have genotyping from the Affymetrix Human Genome-Wide SNP ..
- Alcohol-Related Risk and Protective Factors among Mexican StudentsLee Strunin; Fiscal Year: 2013..future work be focused on the protective impact of Mexican cultural factors on alcohol use among Mexican Americans and culture-specific norms pertaining to alcohol use...
- The Metabolic Syndrome in Mexican American ChildrenRavindranath Duggirala; Fiscal Year: 2009..glucose tolerance) have been increasing at epidemic proportions, particularly in minority groups such as Mexican Americans. However, the mechanisms that underlie the MS in children are unclear, and it is also not clear whether or ..
- Hispanic Stroke Prevention Intervention Research ProgramRalph L Sacco; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although Mexican Americans are the largest subgroup, Caribbean Hispanics are the second largest subgroup in the U.S...
- Sleep apnea health disparities in Mexican American stroke patientsLynda D Lisabeth; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Mexican Americans (MA), the largest subgroup of Hispanic Americans, have a substantially higher stroke risk than European ..
- LOS ANGELES LATINO EYE STUDYRohit Varma; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Decreasing Diabetes Disparities: Building Mexican American Family Social CapitalMarylyn Morris McEwen; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Diabetes, primarily type 2 diabetes (T2DM), has reached epidemic proportions among Mexican Americans in the US-Mexico border region, making this unique geopolitical region one that should be targeted for ..
- 2/2 Genetics of Brain Structure and FunctionDavid C Glahn; Fiscal Year: 2013..we acquired neuroanatomic, neurophysiologic and neurocognitive endophenotypes for mental illness in 1350 Mexican Americans from randomly selected extended pedigrees...
- Identification of Novel MicroRNAs Associated with Brain Structure and FunctionMelanie Carless; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using state-of-the-art technologies we will identify and quantitate novel and known microRNAs in 1,000 Mexican Americans from approximately 40 families...
- Genetics of Beta Cell Failure in Mexican AmericansAnny H Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The information will help guide mechanistic studies of the genetic contribution to diabetes. It will also provide a basis for new clinical approaches to diabetes prediction, prevention and early treatment. ..
- Gene Networks for Differential Risk of Kidney Damage by Long-Term DiabetesJOHN W KENT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using a rich set of genome-wide gene expression profiles of 1,240 Mexican Americans from more than 40 extended families, we have identified 22 genes that exhibit highly significant genotype x ..
- 1/2 Genetics of Brain Structure and FunctionJohn Blangero; Fiscal Year: 2013..we acquired neuroanatomic, neurophysiologic and neurocognitive endophenotypes for mental illness in 1350 Mexican Americans from randomly selected extended pedigrees...
- The impact of cigarette smoking on mortality in developed countries: a populationAndrew Fenelon; Fiscal Year: 2011..This project seeks to improve our understanding of the significance of smoking for the health of populations and elucidate its potential to explain differences in life expectancy across places. ..
- Development of a Self-Help Program to Treat Binge Eating in Mexican AmericansFARY MAHAMEDI CACHELIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Mexican Americans are one of the fastest growing populations in the United States and are at risk for binge eating and ..
- Identification and Replication of Type 2 Diabetes Genes in Mexican AmericansCraig L Hanis; Fiscal Year: 2013..The resources we have developed enabled an initial genome wide association study of type 2 diabetes among Mexican Americans and a second much larger such study with genetic markers currently being typed at the Center for Inherited ..
- Bio-Behavioral Smoking Profiles in Mexican Origin YouthANNA VICTORIA WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..identified to be important in nicotine dependence among other populations to confirm this relationship in Mexican Americans. Among the adolescent participants enrolled in the parent study, my specific aims are to: 1) assess the ..
- A Human Stem Cell-Derived Assay for Detection of Toxicants that Promote ObesityKelvin G M Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2013..5%) compared with Mexican Americans (40.4%), all Hispanics (39.1%) and non-Hispanic whites (34.3%)...
- Exploring Cultural Variations in Oral Health Messages for Mexican-AmericansTHEODORE MICHAEL SINGELIS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Results may impact the oral health of Mexican-American children as well as, with more research, generalize to a wide range of health messages targeting a variety of minorities. ..
- Multi-Court Trial of NBP to Prevent Substance Abuse and Mental Health DisorderIrwin N Sandler; Fiscal Year: 2013..the engagement interview will be tested for the overall sample, and separately for fathers and mothers, and Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic Caucasians...
- Large-Scale Methylation Profiling in Metabolic Syndrome PhenotypesMelanie Carless; Fiscal Year: 2013..and related phenotypes by: 1) determining the genomic methylation profile of 27,578 CpG sites in 1,200 Mexican Americans;2) assessing methylation as a quantitative trait and determining correlations with metabolic syndrome ..
- CULTURAL FACTORS AND METABOLIC SYNDROME RISK IN MEXICAN-AMERICAN WOMENKARLA ESPINOSA DE LOS MONTEROS; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Substantial research indicates that Mexican Americans are excessively vulnerable to the metabolic syndrome, with recent studies reporting metabolic syndrome prevalence rates of 30% or higher in this ..
- Lay Public's Genetic Explanations for Type 2 Diabetes: Prevention ImplicationsToby Epstein Jayaratne; Fiscal Year: 2012..representing three ethnic/racial groups, specifically, non- Hispanic White Americans, African Americans, and Mexican Americans. As our focus is on prevention, we will only include individuals who have not been diagnosed with diabetes...
- Discovery of Functional Variants in Type 2 Diabetes Genes in Mexican AmericansDonna M Lehman; Fiscal Year: 2013..worldwide including significantly increased rates among United States (US) minority populations such as Mexican Americans. To date, knowledge about the genetic determinants of T2DM is very limited...
- Mexican Family Culture &Substance Use Risk &ResilienceKeith F Widaman; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Mexican Americans living in California will soon become the most populous ethnic group in the state, consistent with national ..
- Sobadors in the Health Care Utilization of Mexican Americans and ImmigrantsThomas A Arcury; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Limited access to conventional health care providers increases the health risk of Mexican Americans and Mexican immigrants and contributes to health disparities...
- Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi (BASIC) ProjectLewis B Morgenstern; Fiscal Year: 2013..BASIC is the only ongoing stroke surveillance project focusing on Mexican Americans. Mexican Americans are the largest segment of the Hispanic American population, the United States'..
- Addressing acquiescence: Reducing survey error to promote Latino healthRACHEL ELLEN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research focuses on Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Cuban Americans, as these groups comprise the three largest Latino sub-groups...
- Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes in Starr County, TexasCraig L Hanis; Fiscal Year: 2010..variation at 500 type 2 diabetes candidate genes on risk in 500 cases and a representative cohort of 500 Mexican Americans from Starr County, Texas;Aim 2...
- Beyond SABOR: A Border Embedded Health PromotionELENA M BASTIDA; Fiscal Year: 2012..prevention, delay of the onset, or improved management of diabetes in a population of urban and rural adult Mexican Americans. Framed within these long-term goals, three specific aims are proposed for this study: Aim #1) to assess the ..
- Genetics of Brain Structure and Function: Genome-Wide AssociationDavid C Glahn; Fiscal Year: 2013..high quality brain magnetic resonance imaging and neuropsychological examinations on an additional 500 Mexican Americans who are members of 30 previously studied extended families, 2) perform GWA analysis to prioritize potential ..
- Substance Use/Abuse &HIV/STI Risk Behaviors in Puerto Rican Youth Growing UpCristiane S Duarte; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., acculturation) as part of interventions for this high-risk group. ..
- Stroke Health and Risk Education (SHARE)Lewis B Morgenstern; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is a tremendous ethnic disparity with respect to stroke in the United States. Mexican Americans are much more likely to have a stroke compared with European Americans...
- GENETICS OF BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROL IN MEXICAN AMERICANSLarry Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2000..understand the genetic basis of blood pressure regulation, and consequently, its effects on hypertension in Mexican Americans. Identification of genes controlling blood pressure could allow assessment, at an early age, of an ..
- Reducing Cancer Disparaties Among Latinos in TexasDavid W Wetter; Fiscal Year: 2013..The project will focus on participants in a longitudinal study of cancer risk factors among Mexican Americans in Houston (Mexican American Cohort Study)...
- Center of Excellence for Diabetes in Americans of Mexican DescentJoseph McCormick; Fiscal Year: 2012..is thus to conduct research on the physiologic progression to diabetes and its complications among Mexican Americans, and to develop diabetes prevention strategies and test innovative approaches to effective interventions in ..
- FACTORS AFFECTING OCD AND HEALTH DISPARITIES AT THE U.S.-MEXICO BORDERThomas Olson; Fiscal Year: 2007..identification, symptomatology, health concerns, coping mechanisms, and quality of life issues among Mexican Americans and Mexicans with OCD in the Border region; 2) to compare the relationship between Mexican Americans and ..
- INCIDENCE OF DIABETES AND CVD IN MEXICAN AMERICANSMichael Stern; Fiscal Year: 2002..that all-cause and cardiovascular (CV) mortality are widely thought to be lower in Hispanics, including Mexican Americans, than in non-Hispanic whites in the U.S...
- USE OF PERINATAL/INFANT SERVICES BY HISPANICS IN AHCCCSPatricia Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990..Based on empirical finding, suggestions will be made for changes in policies or programs to eliminate differences in use...
- Identifying Calpain-10 Substrates from Human ProteomeRihe Liu; Fiscal Year: 2005..cysteine protease calpain-10, is associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes in a population of Mexican Americans who are susceptible to the disease, and also in an isolated population from Finland...
- RACIAL/ETHNIC DIFFERENCES IN ADVERSE PREGNANCY OUTCOMESRochelle Shain; Fiscal Year: 1991..New methods for the estimation of covariance structure model with data violate the maximum-likelihood assumption will be considered...
- Mexican Americans: Family Caregivers ExperienceJo Nell Wells; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Type 2 Diabetes Gene Discovery Linked to 3p in HispanicsDonna Lehman; Fiscal Year: 2009..individuals of all ages across all ethnic groups;however, individuals from certain ethnic groups including Mexican Americans have an increased propensity towards developing T2DM...
- INFANT MORTALITY AMONG MEXICAN AMERICANSW Frisbie; Fiscal Year: 1991..Classification of Diseases; 4) To determine whether the current favorable birth weight distributions among Mexican Americans existed in previous decades; 5) To determine the extent to which the major improvement in survivorship of ..
- MEXICAN AMERICAN PEOPLE: A GENERATION LATERVILMA ORTIZ; Fiscal Year: 1999..in socioeconomic mobility; ethnic identity and behavior; and gender and family attitudes and behaviors among Mexican Americans in Los Angeles and San Antonio...
- Self, Health, and Life Satisfaction in Mexican AmericansTHEODORE SINGELIS; Fiscal Year: 2001..By the year 2050 there will be an estimated 7.9 million Hispanics over 65, with Mexican Americans making up more than half. Yet, Mexican American elderly remain understudied...
- Genetics of Diabetic Nephropathy in Mexican-Americans a*Susanne Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2006..Statistics indicate that certain ethnic groups, such as Mexican Americans, Pima Indians and African Americans are disproportionately affected by diabetes and its complications ..
- Genetics of Birth Weight in Mexican AmericansRavindranath Duggirala; Fiscal Year: 2005..association with diseases in adulthood would be of utmost importance especially in populations such as the Mexican Americans, which are prone to diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome...
- INFANT MORTALITY AMONG MEXICAN AMERICANSBenjamin Bradshaw; Fiscal Year: 1991..infant death and birth records that will permit a broader investigation of the mortality experience of Mexican Americans infants than has heretofore been possible...
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF NIDDM IN MEXICAN AMERICANSMichael Stern; Fiscal Year: 2000..Abstract) In the San Antonio Family Diabetes Study (SAFADS) the investigators have enrolled 579 low income Mexican Americans in 31 families (median family size, 19)...