Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons living in the United States having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent.
Publications277 found, 100 shown here
- Asian Americans: diabetes prevalence across U.S. and World Health Organization weight classificationsReena Oza-Frank
Nutrition and Health Sciences Program, Graduate Division of Biomedical and Biological Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1644-6. 2009To compare diabetes prevalence among Asian Americans by World Health Organization and U.S. BMI classifications.
- Ethnic issues in the epidemiology of childhood obesityP B Crawford
Center for Weight and Health, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 48:855-78. 2001..This approach is crucial in the United States, a country with an increasingly diverse population...
- Plasma hemostatic factors and endothelial markers in four racial/ethnic groups: the MESA studyP L Lutsey
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Thromb Haemost 4:2629-35. 2006..Hemostatic factors and endothelial markers may play some role in racial/ethnic differences in cardiovascular disease (CVD) rates. However, little information exists on hemostatic factors and endothelial markers across racial/ethnic groups...
- The management of chronic hepatitis B in Asian AmericansMyron J Tong
Pfleger Liver Institute, Division of Digestive Diseases, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:3143-62. 2011Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is common with major clinical consequences worldwide. In Asian Americans, the HBsAg carrier rate ranges from 7 to 16%; HBV is the most important cause of chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, and hepatocellular ..
- Accommodating type 2 diabetes in the Chinese American familyCatherine A Chesla
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Qual Health Res 15:240-55. 2005..Accommodation by family members included developing shared diabetes care practices and indirect approaches to disagreements about diabetes management...
- Elevated risk of type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome among Asians and south Asians: results from the 2004 New York City HANESSwapnil N Rajpathak
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Ethn Dis 20:225-30. 2010..We estimated prevalence of diabetes (DM), metabolic syndrome (MS) and impaired fasting glucose (IFG), by race/ethnicity and by Asian subgroup...
- Tobacco use and dependence in Asian Americans: a review of the literatureSun S Kim
School of Nursing, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey UMDNJ Newark, NJ 07107 1709, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:169-84. 2007..Articles were retrieved from electronic health-related databases indexed for permutations of the keywords Asian Americans, smoking, tobacco use, tobacco dependence, and nicotine dependence...
- The demography of disability and the effects of immigrant history: older Asians in the United StatesJan E Mutchler
Gerontology Institute, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125, USA
Demography 44:251-63. 2007..We conclude that in later life, immigrant status confers few disability advantages among the Asian population in the United States...
- Survival differences by race in nasopharyngeal carcinomaLi Min Sun
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:271-8. 2007..Despite having higher incidence rates of NPC compared with other groups, Chinese NPC patients in the United States have better overall survival and the same risks of NPC-related mortality compared with other racial/ethnic groups...
- What made a successful hepatitis B program for reducing liver cancer disparities: an examination of baseline characteristics and educational intervention, infection status, and missing responses of at-risk Asian AmericansChiehwen Ed Hsu
Public Health Informatics, UT School of Health Information Sciences and School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, TX, 7000 Fannin, UCT 600, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Community Health 35:325-35. 2010b>Asian Americans, compared with other racial/ethnic groups, are disproportionately affected by Hepatitis B disease...
- Differences in colorectal carcinoma stage and survival by race and ethnicityChloe Chien
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Cancer 104:629-39. 2005..Data regarding other races/ethnicities were limited, especially for Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic white subgroups...
- Barriers to screening for hepatitis B virus infection in Asian AmericansKe Qin Hu
Division of GI Hepatology, University of California, Irvine, 101, The City Drive, Building 56, Rt 81, Rm 231, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:3163-71. 2011..Although the overall prevalence of HBV infection in the United States is low (<1%), it is high (~10%) in Asian Americans. However, HBV screening rates in this population have been reported to be low.
- Performance of BRCA1/2 mutation prediction models in Asian AmericansAllison W Kurian
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5405, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4752-8. 2008..We compared the performance in Asian and white individuals of two widely used BRCA1/2 mutation prediction models, BRCAPRO and Myriad II...
- Midlife blood pressure and dementia: the Honolulu-Asia aging studyL J Launer
Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Gateway Building 3C 309, 7201 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neurobiol Aging 21:49-55. 2000..This study suggests elevated levels of blood pressure in middle age can increase the risk for late age dementia in men never treated with anti-hypertensive medication...
- State of disparities in cardiovascular health in the United StatesGeorge A Mensah
Office of the Director, Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control, Mail Stop K 40, 4770 Buford Hwy NE, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Circulation 111:1233-41. 2005..Having timely access to current data on disparities is important for policy and program development. Accordingly, we assessed the current magnitude of disparities in cardiovascular disease (CVD) and its risk factors in the United States...
- Cost-effectiveness of screening and vaccinating Asian and Pacific Islander adults for hepatitis BDavid W Hutton
Stanford University, Asian Liver Center, and Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 4026, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:460-9. 2007..Without proper medical management and antiviral therapy, up to 25% of Asian and Pacific Islander persons with chronic HBV infection will die of liver disease...
- Prevalence and correlates of diabetes in South asian indians in the United States: findings from the metabolic syndrome and atherosclerosis in South asians living in america study and the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosisA M Kanaya
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 8:157-64. 2010..Individuals from South Asia have high diabetes prevalence despite low body weight. We compared the prevalence of diabetes among South Asian Indians with other U.S. ethnic groups and explored correlates of diabetes...
- Acculturation and health in Korean AmericansS K Lee
Nutrition and Food Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Hunter College, CUNY, New York, NY 10010, USA
Soc Sci Med 51:159-73. 2000..Future health research and practice can benefit by acknowledging the complexity of acculturation and its multidimensional effects on health...
- Hepatitis B knowledge and practices among Chinese immigrants to the United StatesVicky M Taylor
Cancer Prevention Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 7:313-7. 2006..Chronic carriage of hepatitis B virus (HBV) is the most common underlying cause of liver cancer among Chinese Americans. Our objective was to describe Chinese immigrants' hepatitis B knowledge, testing, and vaccination levels...
- Linguistic and cultural barriers to careQuyen Ngo-Metzger
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:44-52. 2003Primarily because of immigration, Asian Americans are one of the fastest growing and most ethnically diverse minority groups in the United States. However, little is known about their perspectives on health care quality.
- Body mass index in a US national sample of Asian Americans: effects of nativity, years since immigration and socioeconomic statusD S Lauderdale
Department of Health Studies, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24:1188-94. 2000....
- Predictors of breast and cervical screening in Vietnamese women in Harris County, Houston, TexasVi Ho
Department of Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Nurs 28:119-29; quiz 130-1. 2005..Barriers and incentives to breast and cervical screening were similar to those in other studies...
- A comprehensive analysis of common genetic variation in prolactin (PRL) and PRL receptor (PRLR) genes in relation to plasma prolactin levels and breast cancer risk: the multiethnic cohortSulggi A Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Med Genet 8:72. 2007..Prospective epidemiological studies have also shown that women with higher circulating PRL levels have an increase in risk of breast cancer, suggesting that variability in PRL may also be important in determining a woman's risk...
- Epidemiologic and clinical factors associated with chronic kidney disease among Asian Americans and Native HawaiiansMarjorie K Mau
Department of Native Hawaiian Health, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Ethn Health 12:111-27. 2007....
- Type 2 diabetes: identifying high risk Asian American subgroups in a clinical populationElsie J Wang
Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute, Department of Health Policy Research, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 93:248-54. 2011..We compared the prevalence and treatment of type 2 diabetes across Asian American subgroups (Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese) and Non-Hispanic Whites (NHWs) in a Northern California healthcare system...
- Does an immigrant health paradox exist among Asian Americans? Associations of nativity and occupational class with self-rated health and mental disordersDolly A John
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Landmark Center, 401 Park Dr, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:2085-98. 2012..To examine whether this exists among Asian Americans, we investigate how nativity and occupational class (white-collar, blue-collar, service, unemployed) are ..
- Cholesterol and all-cause mortality in elderly people from the Honolulu Heart Program: a cohort studyI J Schatz
Clinical Epidemiology and Geriatrics Division, Department of Medicine, John A Bums School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1356 Lusitana Street, 7th Floor, Honolulu, HI 96813 2427, USA
Lancet 358:351-5. 2001..To investigate these discrepancies, we did a longitudinal assessment of changes in both lipid and serum cholesterol concentrations over 20 years, and compared them with mortality...
- Colorectal cancer screening disparities in Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders: which groups are most vulnerable?Hee Yun Lee
School of Social Work, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Ethn Health 16:501-18. 2011Colorectal cancer (CRC) is a significant cause of mortality among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs), yet studies have consistently reported lower CRC screening rates among AAPIs than among non-Latino Whites and African ..
- Cultural factors influencing the mental health of Asian AmericansElizabeth J Kramer
Charles B Wang Community Health Center 125 Walker St New York, NY 10013, USA
West J Med 176:227-31. 2002
- Effective colorectal cancer education for Asian Americans: a Michigan programTsu Yin Wu
School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Cancer Educ 25:146-52. 2010b>Asian Americans are among the fastest growing population groups in the USA. Despite the fact that colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second most common cancer for this group, Asian Americans have low CRC screening rates...
- Association between self-reported physical activity and obesity among White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian Americans: 2007 and 2009 brfssSoyang Kwon
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University, 225 E Chicago Ave, Box 157, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Ethn Dis 23:129-35. 2013To examine the association between self-reported leisure-time moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity (MVPA) and obesity among non-Hispanic White, non-Hispanic Black, Hispanic, and Asian Americans.
- Using name lists to infer Asian racial/ethnic subgroups in the healthcare settingEric C Wong
Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute, 795 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA
Med Care 48:540-6. 2010..Many clinical data sources used to assess health disparities lack Asian subgroup information, but do include patient names...
- Low health literacy, limited English proficiency, and health status in Asians, Latinos, and other racial/ethnic groups in CaliforniaTetine Sentell
Office of Public Health Studies, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, 1960 East West Road, BIOMED, D 104, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
J Health Commun 17:82-99. 2012..Limited English proficiency may carry greater health risk than low health literacy, though important racial/ethnic variations exist...
- Survival in Asian Americans after treatments for hepatocellular carcinoma: a seven-year experience at UCLAMyron J Tong
The Dumont UCLA Liver Cancer Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:e63-70. 2010..The aims of this study were to examine the tumor characteristics and liver disease status in HCC patients of Asian ancestry and determine their survival after treatments for HCC...
- A cross-sectional characterization of insulin resistance by phenotype and insulin clamp in East Asian Americans with type 1 and type 2 diabetesWilliam C Hsu
Asian American Diabetes Initiative, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28311. 2011Classic features of type 1 and type 2 diabetes may not apply in Asian Americans, due to shared absence of common HLA DR-DQ genotype, low prevalence of positive anti-islet antibodies and low BMI in both types of diabetes...
- Smoking prevalence among asian americans: findings from the National Latino and Asian American Study (NLAAS)David H Chae
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Public Health Rep 121:755-63. 2006National studies suggest that the prevalence of current smoking among Asian Americans is lower than that for other racial/ethnic groups...
- Patient-physician relationships and racial disparities in the quality of health careSomnath Saha
Section of General Internal Medicine, Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1713-9. 2003..This study explored whether racial differences in patient-physician relationships contribute to disparities in the quality of health care...
- Differences in rates of glaucoma among Asian Americans and other racial groups, and among various Asian ethnic groupsJoshua D Stein
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Ophthalmology 118:1031-7. 2011To determine the incidence and prevalence of different glaucoma types among Asian Americans and other races, and evaluate the hazard for glaucoma among different races and Asian ethnicities.
- Incidence of anal cancer in California: increased incidence among men in San Francisco, 1973-1999Rosemary D Cress
California Cancer Registry, Sacramento, CA, USA
Prev Med 36:555-60. 2003..Incidence of anal cancer has increased in the United States during the past 30 years. This report describes the incidence of this rare cancer in the diverse California population...
- Cervical cancer screening among Southeast Asian American womenIvy K Ho
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA 01854, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 13:49-60. 2011..Overall, much more work is needed in order to deepen our understanding of the various ways to improve the rate of cervical cancer screening among Southeast Asian American women...
- HIV testing and awareness of care-related services among a group of HIV-positive Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States: findings from a supplemental HIV/AIDS surveillance projectFrank Y Wong
School of Nursing and Health Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:440-7. 2004Compared with other racial/ethnic groups in the United States, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) are more likely to be at an advanced stage of AIDS disease and have opportunistic infections at the time of diagnosis...
- The role of medical interpretation on breast and cervical cancer screening among Asian American and Pacific Islander womenJeff Dang
Consulting Measurement Group, Inc 2390 Crenshaw Blvd 110, Torrance, CA 90501, USA
J Cancer Educ 25:253-62. 2010..The study provides support for increasing language access in healthcare settings. In particular, medical interpreters may help increase the utilization of breast and cervical cancer screening among LEP AAPI women...
- Caution in generalizing known genetic risk markers for breast cancer across all ethnic/racial populationsFang Chen
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 19:243-5. 2011..These results emphasize the need for large-scale association studies of multiple racial/ethnic groups for discovery and characterization of risk alleles relevant to all populations in the United States...
- The topography of colorectal cancer varies by race/ethnicity and affects the utility of flexible sigmoidoscopyC P Theuer
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine 92697-7550, USA
Am Surg 67:1157-61. 2001..Colorectal screening recommendations may need to incorporate racial and ethnic differences in colorectal neoplasia topography...
- Asian Americans have greater prevalence of metabolic syndrome despite lower body mass indexL P Palaniappan
Health Policy Research, Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:393-400. 2011To examine the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and metabolic syndrome for Asian Americans and non-Hispanic Whites (NHWs), given that existing evidence shows racial/ethnic heterogeneity exists in how BMI predicts metabolic ..
- Promoting culturally appropriate colorectal cancer screening through a health educator: a randomized controlled trialShin Ping Tu
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Cancer 107:959-66. 2006..Colorectal cancer (CRC) is a leading cause of cancer mortality in the US. Surveys reveal low CRC screening levels among Asians in the US, including Chinese Americans...
- Validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 for depression screening among Chinese AmericansAlbert Yeung
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Compr Psychiatry 49:211-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to validate the Chinese Bilingual version of the Patient Health Questionnaire (CB-PHQ-9) for screening for depression among Chinese Americans in primary care...
- Unfair treatment, racial/ethnic discrimination, ethnic identification, and smoking among Asian Americans in the National Latino and Asian American StudyDavid H Chae
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 98:485-92. 2008..the relations of self-report of general unfair treatment and self-report of race/ethnicity-specific discrimination with current smoking among Asian Americans. We investigated whether ethnic identification moderated either association.
- Cancer incidence and mortality patterns among specific Asian and Pacific Islander populations in the U.SBarry A Miller
Cancer Statistics Branch, Surveillance Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6116 Executive Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Causes Control 19:227-56. 2008..New databases added to publicly available SEER*Stat software will enable public health researchers to further investigate cancer patterns among API groups...
- Stigma: barrier to mental health care among ethnic minoritiesFaye A Gary
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 26:979-99. 2005..The article concludes with recommendations for research and health policy implications...
- Generational status and family cohesion effects on the receipt of mental health services among Asian Americans: findings from the National Latino and Asian American StudyVan M Ta
Office of Public Health Studies, University of Hawai i at Manoa, HI, USA
Am J Public Health 100:115-21. 2010We investigated the relative strengths of generational status and family cohesion effects on current use of mental health services (past 12 months) among Asian Americans.
- Why we should routinely screen Asian American adults for hepatitis B: a cross-sectional study of Asians in CaliforniaSteven Y Lin
School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Hepatology 46:1034-40. 2007..Men were twice as likely as women to be chronically infected (12.1% versus 6.4%). Asian Americans born in East Asia, Southeast Asia, or the Pacific Islands were 19...
- Hepatitis B and liver cancer knowledge and preventive practices among Asian Americans in the San Francisco Bay Area, CaliforniaCharlotte A Wu
Asian Liver Center, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 8:127-34. 2007..and prevention, it is important to identify existing gaps in knowledge and preventive practices among Asian Americans. Therefore, the authors administered a written questionnaire to 199 adults in the Asian-American community of ..
- Asian American multidimensional acculturation scale: development, factor analysis, reliability, and validityRuth H Gim Chung
Division of Counseling Psychology, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, US
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 10:66-80. 2004..These features of the AAMAS allow for a more complex assessment of acculturation level of Asian Americans and its relationship to psychological functioning.
- Effects of acculturation on smoking behavior in Asian Americans: a meta-analysisSarah Choi
Department of Family Health Care Nursing, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 23:67-73. 2008..In the United States, the prevalence rate in Asian immigrants is high (26%-70%), with Southeast Asian men having the highest rate. Acculturation has been associated with smoking behavior in this ethnic group...
- Acculturation stress and depression among Asian immigrant eldersAda C Mui
Columbia University, School of Social Work, New York, NY 10027, USA
Soc Work 51:243-55. 2006..Data suggest that depression is prevalent among urban Asian immigrant elders and that there is great heterogeneity among Asian ethnic subgroups. Implications for social work practice are discussed...
- Psychiatric disorders among foreign-born and US-born Asian-Americans in a US national surveyJoshua Breslau
Center for Reducing Health Disparities, Dept of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:943-50. 2006..We examine the association of nativity and risk for psychiatric disorder in a national sample of the Asian-American (AA) population...
- Use of specialty mental health services by Asian Americans with psychiatric disordersOanh Le Meyer
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 77:1000-5. 2009Research suggests that Asian Americans underutilize mental health services but an understanding of the multiple factors involved in utilization has not been examined in a nationally representative sample...
- Immigration and generational trends in body mass index and obesity in the United States: results of the National Latino and Asian American Survey, 2002-2003Lisa M Bates
School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 98:70-7. 2008We examined patterns of body mass index (BMI) and obesity among a nationally representative sample of first-, second-, and third-generation Latinos and Asian Americans to reveal associations with nativity or country of origin.
- Hepatitis B knowledge and practices among Cambodian immigrantsVicky M Taylor
Cancer Prevention Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Cancer Educ 24:100-4. 2009..Chronic hepatitis B infection is the most common cause of liver cancer among Cambodians. Our objective was to describe Cambodian Americans' hepatitis B knowledge, testing, and vaccination levels...
- Mental health issues for Asian AmericansK M Lin
Department of Psychiatry and Research Center on the Psychobiology of Ethnicity, Harbor University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance 90502, USA
Psychiatr Serv 50:774-80. 1999One of fastest-growing population groups in recent decades, Asian Americans represent a vastly diversified and rich mixture of cultures, languages, beliefs, and practices, many of which differ widely from those of European Americans...
- Recognizing and engaging depressed Chinese Americans in treatment in a primary care settingAlbert Yeung
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:819-23. 2006..To examine the effectiveness of depression screening and the Engagement Interview Protocol (EIP) in identifying and engaging in treatment depressed Chinese Americans in a primary care setting...
- Social connections, immigration-related factors, and self-rated physical and mental health among Asian AmericansWei Zhang
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96822, United States
Soc Sci Med 68:2104-12. 2009Focusing on Asian Americans, this study examines how self-rated physical and mental health depends on the layered social connections (including 4 types: family cohesion, relative support, friend support, and neighborhood cohesion), ..
- Racial discrimination and health among Asian Americans: evidence, assessment, and directions for future researchGilbert C Gee
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Epidemiol Rev 31:130-51. 2009..Studies of racial discrimination and health among Asian Americans, however, remain underdeveloped...
- Healthy People 2010 and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders: defining a baseline of informationChandak Ghosh
Health Resources and Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services DHHS, and Harvard Medical School, Department of Social Medicine, Cambridge, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 93:2093-8. 2003..This study compiles existing Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) health data to establish a baseline...
- Differences in breast cancer stage, treatment, and survival by race and ethnicityChristopher I Li
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Ave N, MP 381, PO Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:49-56. 2003..However, Asians and Pacific Islanders and Hispanic whites are heterogeneous populations, and few studies have evaluated breast cancer stage, treatments, and mortality rates for subgroups of these populations...
- Cancer incidence, mortality, and associated risk factors among Asian Americans of Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese ethnicitiesMelissa McCracken
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 57:190-205. 2007Many studies demonstrate that cancer incidence and mortality patterns among Asian Americans are heterogeneous, but national statistics on cancer for Asian ethnic groups are not routinely available...
- Risk of hospitalized stroke in men enrolled in the Honolulu Heart Program and the Framingham Study: A comparison of incidence and risk factor effectsBeatriz L Rodriguez
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, USA
Stroke 33:230-6. 2002..Our purpose was to compare the 20-year incidence of hospitalized stroke between Japanese-American men in the Honolulu Heart Program and white men in the Framingham Study...
- The association between self-reported racial discrimination and 12-month DSM-IV mental disorders among Asian Americans nationwideGilbert C Gee
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:1984-96. 2007..Thus, self-reported discrimination was associated with increased risk of mental disorders among Asian Americans across the United States and this relationship was not explained by social desirability, physical health, ..
- Adversities of acculturation? Prevalence of obesity among immigrantsNeeraj Kaushal
School of Social Work, Columbia University, Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027, USA
Health Econ 18:291-303. 2009..For those who experienced increase in obesity with duration, the rise was higher during the first five years of residence than later and greater for those who arrived at a relatively young age...
- Immigration-related factors and mental disorders among Asian AmericansDavid T Takeuchi
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Am J Public Health 97:84-90. 2007..examined lifetime and 12-month rates of any depressive, anxiety, and substance abuse disorders in a national sample of Asian Americans. We focused on factors related to nativity and immigration as possible correlates of mental disorders.
- Predictors of regular Pap smears among Korean-American womenHee Soon Juon
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Prev Med 37:585-92. 2003..Many Korean-American women (KAW) are unaware of the importance of regular cancer screening. This research estimates rates and examines predictors of regular cervical cancer screening among KAW...
- Community-based participatory research increases cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese-AmericansTung T Nguyen
Suc Khoe La Vang Health is Gold Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project and the Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 17:31-54. 2006..Community-based participatory research is feasible and effective in Vietnamese-American communities...
- Disentangling the effects of racial and weight discrimination on body mass index and obesity among Asian AmericansGilbert C Gee
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, 650 Charles E Young Dr S, Room 41 296A, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Public Health 98:493-500. 2008We examined whether racial discrimination is associated with increased body mass index (BMI) and obesity among Asian Americans. Further, we explored whether this association strengthens with increasing time in the United States.
- Larger amounts of visceral adipose tissue in Asian AmericansY W Park
Department of Family Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Korea
Obes Res 9:381-7. 2001..As little is known about the levels of VAT in Asians, we compared whole-body VAT in Asian Americans with European Americans...
- Culturally sensitive collaborative treatment for depressed chinese americans in primary careAlbert Yeung
South Cove Community Health Center, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 100:2397-402. 2010..We examined the feasibility and effectiveness of using culturally sensitive collaborative treatment (CSCT) to improve recognition, engagement, and treatment of depressed Chinese Americans in primary care...
- Persistent racial and ethnic disparities in up-to-date colorectal cancer testing in medicare enrolleesJoshua J Fenton
Department of Family and Community Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:412-8. 2009....
- Discrimination and health among Asian American immigrants: disentangling racial from language discriminationHyung Chol Yoo
Asian Pacific American Studies, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 5503, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:726-32. 2009..Language discrimination may be an understudied type of discrimination associated with chronic illness among Asian Americans.
- Factors associated with mental health service use in Latino and Asian immigrant eldersGiyeon Kim
Center for Mental Health and Aging, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, 35487, USA
Aging Ment Health 14:535-42. 2010..Adapting Andersen's behavioral health model of health service utilization, predisposing, enabling, and mental health need factors were considered as potential predictors for use of mental health services...
- Survival differences among Asian subpopulations in the United States after prostate, colorectal, breast, and cervical carcinomasScarlett S Lin
Northern California Cancer Center, Union City, California
Cancer 94:1175-82. 2002..The authors examined survival after carcinomas of the prostate, colon/rectum, breast, and cervix separately for Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, and non-Hispanic whites in the United States...
- Cancer screening behaviors and barriers in Asian AmericansGrace X Ma
Department of Public Health, Center for Asian Health, College of Health Professions, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122 0843, USA
Am J Health Behav 33:650-60. 2009..To determine differences in screening for routine physical exam and cancers among Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cambodian Americans...
- Uncovering factors contributing to under-utilization of breast cancer screening by Chinese and Korean women living in the United StatesMei yu Yu
School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Room 3248 400 N Ingalls, Ann Arbor, Ml 48109 0482, USA
Ethn Dis 13:213-9. 2003..This study investigated factors influencing breast cancer screening utilization by Chinese and Korean women, living in the United States, and examined similarities and differences between the 2 sub-populations...
- Colon pathology detected after a positive screening flexible sigmoidoscopy: a prospective study in an ethnically diverse cohortFritz Francois
Department of Medicine and Division of Gastroenterology, VA New York Harbor Healthcare System and New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10010, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:823-30. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate ethnic variations in the prevalence of proximal neoplasia on follow-up colonoscopy after a neoplastic lesion is found on sigmoidoscopy...
- Survival variability by race and ethnicity in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemiaNina S Kadan-Lottick
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Yale University, New Haven, Conn, USA
JAMA 290:2008-14. 2003....
- Barriers to providing effective mental health services to Asian AmericansF T Leong
Department of Psychology, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1222, USA
Ment Health Serv Res 3:201-14. 2001..Rodriguez (1989), the current paper examines the barriers to providing effective mental health services to Asian Americans. Beginning with the recognition that Asian Americans consists of numerous heterogeneous subgroups, the issue ..
- Ethnic differences in BMI and body/self-dissatisfaction among Whites, Asian subgroups, Pacific Islanders, and African-AmericansAlayne Yates
Department of Psychiatry, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
J Adolesc Health 34:300-7. 2004..To distinguish body mass index (BMI) and body/self-dissatisfaction among Asian subgroups...
- Soy intake is associated with increased 2-hydroxylation and decreased 16alpha-hydroxylation of estrogens in Asian-American womenBarbara J Fuhrman
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Program, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Room 5003, Rockville, MD 20852 7246, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2751-60. 2009..In a sample of Asian-American women, we investigated the associations of usual adult soy intake with the urinary concentrations of 15 estrogens and estrogen metabolites (EM) measured using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry...
- Reliability and validity of the mammography screening beliefs questionnaire among Chinese American womenTsu Yin Wu
Department of Nursing, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, 48197, USA
Cancer Nurs 26:131-42. 2003..The Cronbach alpha for the subscales ranged from.77 to.90. Construct validity was supported by exploring the factor structure of the instrument using confirmatory factor analysis and testing correlations with mammography compliance...
- Are depressive symptoms a risk factor for mortality in elderly Japanese American men?: the Honolulu-Asia Aging StudyJunji Takeshita
The Honolulu Asia Aging Study, Kuakini Medical Center, 4th Floor, 1356 Lusitana Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1127-32. 2002..This study determined the influence of depressive symptoms on subsequent mortality of all causes...
- Breast and cervical cancer screening among Chinese American womenE S Yu
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182, USA
Cancer Pract 9:81-91. 2001..The purpose of this study was to describe breast and cervical cancer screening knowledge and practices of a representative sample of Chinese American women and to examine the factors associated with screening practices...
- Limited English proficiency and breast and cervical cancer screening in a multiethnic populationElizabeth A Jacobs
John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County and Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1410-6. 2005..We examined the relationship between ability to speak English and receipt of Papanicolaou tests, clinical breast examinations, and mammography in a multiethnic group of women in the United States...
- Factors associated with obesity in Chinese-American childrenJyu Lin Chen
University of California, San Francisco Department of Family Health Care Nursing, San Francisco, CA, USA
Pediatr Nurs 31:110-5. 2005..A cross-sectional study design was utilized to examine factors associated with obesity in Chinese-American children...
- Mortality rates of elderly Asian American populations based on Medicare and Social Security dataDiane S Lauderdale
Department of Health Studies, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 2007, Chicago, IL 60337, USA
Demography 39:529-40. 2002..We found that death rates for elderly Asian Americans are lower than those for whites, and that socioeconomic differences between subgroups do not translate into ..
- Providing high-quality care for limited English proficient patients: the importance of language concordance and interpreter useQuyen Ngo-Metzger
Division of General Internal Medicine and Primary Care and the Center for Health Policy Research, University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, Research, 111 Academy, Suite 220, Irvine, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:324-30. 2007..Provider-patient language discordance is related to worse quality care for limited English proficient (LEP) patients who speak Spanish. However, little is known about language barriers among LEP Asian-American patients...
- Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of Chinese hepatitis B screening and vaccinationGrace X Ma
Department of Public Health, Director of Center for Asian Health, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122 0843, USA
Am J Health Behav 32:178-87. 2008..To measure the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of Hepatitis B (HBV) screening and vaccination in the Chinese American population...
- Workplace discrimination and health among Filipinos in the United StatesArnold B de Castro
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Box 357263, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Public Health 98:520-6. 2008..We examined the association between work discrimination and morbidity among Filipinos in the United States, independent of more-global measures of discrimination...
- Access to mental health treatment by English language proficiency and race/ethnicityTetine Sentell
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 2727 Mariposa Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:289-93. 2007..Limited English proficiency (LEP) may contribute to mental health care disparities, yet empirical data are limited...
- Racial and ethnic variations in hepatocellular carcinoma incidence within the United StatesRobert Wong
University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, Oakland, CA 94619, USA
Am J Med 121:525-31. 2008..Delineating high-risk populations and cancer patterns can provide valuable information. This is necessary to broaden screening and surveillance guidelines related to early detection and prevention...
- Cultural differences in responses to a Likert scaleJerry W Lee
Loma Linda University School of Public Health, CA 92350, USA
Res Nurs Health 25:295-306. 2002..Although culture affected response patterns, the association of sense of coherence and health was positive in all three cultural groups...
- Intra-abdominal fat accumulation is greatest at younger ages in Japanese-American adultsChristine G Lee
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 89:58-64. 2010..We evaluated whether changes over 10-11 years in weight, subcutaneous abdominal fat (SQAF), and intra-abdominal fat (IAF) differ by age and contrasted age-related adiposity changes by gender...
- Acculturative family distancing (AFD) and depression in Chinese American familiesWei Chin Hwang
Department of Psychology, Claremont McKenna College, 850 Columbia Ave, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:655-67. 2010..It is a more proximal and problem-focused formulation of the acculturation gap and is hypothesized to increase depression via family conflict...
- Chinese American Eye StudyRohit Varma; Fiscal Year: 2013..been conducted, there is almost no information on the prevalence, risk factors, and genetic determinants in Asian Americans-one of the fastest growing racial groups in the US...
- Perfluoroalkyl chemicals and the risk of developing clinical and subclinical CVDAnoop Shankar; Fiscal Year: 2012..both men and women and the various racial/ethnic groups in the US, including whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asian Americans and with up to 10 years of follow-up data...
- The Role of Myosin in Vesicle TraffickingYashomati M Patel; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prevalence of type 2 diabetes is even higher among African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Asian Americans, and the elderly...
- Hepatitis B Virus PreS2 Mutant as Risk Factor for Hepatocellular CarcinomaEric J Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..throughout the world and the US, especially among minorities such as African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Americans. HCC has a dismal prognosis unless detected early, but current screening methods have low sensitivity and ..
- Lay Health Worker Model to Reduce Liver Cancer Disparities in Asian AmericansHee Soon Juon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Chronic HBV infection and liver cancer caused by HBV among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) is one of the most serious - but frequently neglected-health disparity issues ..
- Relationships between discrimination and the health of South Asian AmericansSARAH BERGMAN NADIMPALLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Asian Americans, in particular South Asian Americans (SAAs), are underrepresented in these studies...
- An Individually-Tailored Mammography Screening Intervention for Chinese AmericansTsu Yin Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..If the program is shown to be successful, the intervention strategies may serve as a model with other Asian Americans and minority groups, and also improve the utilization of other types of cancer screening tests as well.
- ATECAR: Asian Training, Education on Cancer & ResearchGrace Ma; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Asian Americans represent the fastest growing ethnic group in the US...
- Epidemiology of Suicidal Behavior in Racially/Ethnically Diverse Older AmericansAMY LYNN BYERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Americans;and 3) the National Latino and Asian American Study (NLAAS), a probability sample of Latinos and Asian Americans. The project proposes to make innovative use of the combined data and examine a large, nationally-based ..
- Training Grant in Renal Function and DiseasePhillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our diverse pool of trainees has included 5 Caucasians, 4 African Americans, 1 Latina, and 4 Asian Americans. Five trainees were women, and 9 of the 14 were clinicians...
- Smoking Cessation Across Ethnic Groups in the USDENNIS RYAN TRINIDAD; Fiscal Year: 2012..All analyses will be conducted for major racial/ethnic groups (African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans and Non-Hispanic Whites) and their subgroups (e.g...
- Health Literacy and Cancer Screening Disparities in Asian American PopulationsTetine Sentell; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cancer is the leading cause of death among Asian Americans (AA), yet screening rates for breast, colorectal, and cervical cancer are lower for AA than for many other racial/ethnic groups...
- Gene-Environment Interactions and Weight GainPenny Gordon-Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2012..of follow-up, including 5,000 European Americans, 2,100 African Americans, 1,500 Hispanic Americans and 900 Asian Americans;and the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Survey (CLHNS), a cohort of 1,800 reproductive aged women with ..
- Access to care in Asian Americans: Assessing determinants of usual source of careEVA CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..in the United States, understanding the resources and barriers that impact the health and health behaviors of Asian Americans is increasingly prioritized in the national health agenda...
- Defining Natural History and Optimal Treatment Outcome for Chronic HBV InfectionNORAH ANNE TERRAULT; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Chronic HBV infection affects 1.5 million Americans, with Asian Americans, disproportionately affected, and =5000 deaths occur annually due to cirrhosis and liver cancer...
- HBV Research Network Database Protocol and Clinical Trial Study ProposalsTRAM THUY TRAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..5 million Americans. Asian Americans have the highest prevalence of chronic HBV, approximately 10% to 15%, followed by other groups including men ..
- Cross-cultural neuroimaging of emotion in South Africa, Japan and USJoan Y Chiao; Fiscal Year: 2013..By understanding how cultural values affect neural mechanisms underlying emotional functioning, we may gain further insight into how affective disorders can be both prevented and treated across cultural groups. ..
- ASIAN AMERICAN NETWORK FOR CANCER AWARENESS RESEARCH & TRAININGMOON SHAO CHUANG CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..disparities by conducting community-based participatory education, training, and research by, for, and with Asian Americans in Sacramento, CA (also serves as Headquarters);San Francisco, CA;Los Angeles, CA;Seattle, WA;Hawaii (state);..
- Identifying Disparities in Type 2 Diabetes Among Asian Americans: The Pan Asian CLatha P Palaniappan; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, data are lacking on Type 2 diabetes and obesity for Asian Americans, suggested to have increased risk of Type 2 diabetes...
- Liver Cancer Control Interventions for Asian AmericansMOON SHAO CHUANG CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..indicate that hepatitis-B related liver cancer represents the most drastic cancer health disparity affecting Asian Americans. Each of these 3 Asian groups will be the focus of this P01 entitled, "Liver Cancer Control Interventions for ..
- Stress &Coping Model of Alcohol Use among Treatment-Seeking Asian American AdultSHARON HSIN HSU; Fiscal Year: 2012..1) Previous studies utilizing this model are based on samples that do not include an adequate number of Asian Americans;2) Key factors in the model may be shaped by culture...
- Self-Directed Online Training Program for Multicultural Dementia CaregiversHongtu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2011..education, support, and assistance programs for these ethnic minority groups, but also because Hispanic and Asian Americans are two fastest growing groups of the nation, increasing by 43% in the past decade, according to the Census ..
- Biologic Basis of Disparity in Liver Cancer Survival Among Asian AmericansChristopher L Bowlus; Fiscal Year: 2013..example of a cancer health disparity in that HCC is disproportionally higher in incidence and mortality among Asian Americans compared with non-Hispanic Whites...
- Stereotype threat and risk-taking propensity among Asian Americans young adultsDerek Iwamoto; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is of special relevance to Asian Americans because this group has been historically characterized as a "model-minority" through the supposed "positive" ..
- Tobacco Dependence Treatments for Asian AmericansSun Seog Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nicotine dependence is very common among Asian Americans;yet, research on understanding and treating nicotine dependence in this group is almost nonexistent...
- Optimizing naltrexone for individuals of East Asian descentLara Ray; Fiscal Year: 2013..considered in order to extend the findings from primarily Caucasian samples to ethnic minorities, such as Asian Americans. Preliminary work by our team has found that among individuals of East Asian descent, Asp40 carriers show ..
- Impact of Mitochondrial Genome Variation on extreme Prostate Cancer DisparitiesVANESSA MARIE HAYES; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study addresses an important biological explanation for the observed ethnic- based disparities in prostate cancer. ..
- Reducing Asian Hepatitis B Disparities through Health Information TechnologyRosy Chang Weir; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. and the most pronounced health disparity disfavoring Asian Americans. Unfortunately, HBV patients, especially immigrants and minorities, often do not receive recommended levels ..
- Genomewide Association Study of Prostate CancerJohn S Witte; Fiscal Year: 2012..These advances will improve the overall health of men, providing much needed information about individual- and population-level risks of prostate cancer within understudied populations. ..
- Telepsychiatry &Culturally Sensitive Treatment of Depressed Asian AmericansAlbert S Yeung; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Asian Americans tend to underutilize mental health services compared to other ethnic groups, with delayed treatment and higher attrition rates (Kung, 2003)...
- Culture-Specific, Multimedia Cardiovascular Disease Education for Asian IndiansNamratha R Kandula; Fiscal Year: 2010..investigator who designs, implements, and evaluates community-based CVD prevention interventions for Asian Americans. My long-term research agenda requires me to obtain additional training in: 1) health communication and the ..
- Los Angeles Stroke Prevention/Intervention Research Program in Health DisparitiesBarbara G Vickrey; Fiscal Year: 2013..is needed to reduce or eliminate the higher rates of stroke among low-income Latinos, African-Americans, and Asian Americans in underserved communities...
- Substance Abuse &Treatment Gaps in Asians, Pacific Islanders &Multiple-race IndLI TZY T WU; Fiscal Year: 2013..RFA-MD-12-003, this application proposes to address health disparities among the identified minority groups: Asian Americans (AAs), Pacific Islanders (PIs), and multiple-race individuals (MRs)...
- Innovative Faith-Based Education on Advance Directives in Asian American CommunitAngela Sun; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): ABSTRACT Background: Asian Americans have been shown to have cultural barriers that can impede their use of advance medical directives...
- Optimizing Colonoscopy &Fecal Immunochemical Tests for Community-Based ScreeningANN GRAHAM ZAUBER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Center can efficiently evaluate the full screening process and can provide substantial human, institutional, and patient resources for collaborative projects within the PROSPR network. ..
- Cancer Control Dissemination to Asian AmericansShin Ping Tu; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, 3 focus groups with medical assistants, the intervention agents, anof two focus groups with Vietnamese patients at the intervention clinic will also be completed. ..
- Community-led Policies and Leadership to Eliminate Disparities for Asian AmeRod Lew; Fiscal Year: 2013..use prevalence has stalled with still high rates particularly among marginalized communities of color, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AA and NHPIs) are one of the fastest growing populations in the U.S...
- CAUSES: Causes of Asian American mortality Understood by Socio-Economic StatusLatha P Palaniappan; Fiscal Year: 2013PROJECT SUMMARY Asian Americans are the fastest growing racial/ethnic group in the United States, with a population of over 14 million that is projected to reach nearly 34 million by 2050...
- AANCART: The National Center for Reducing Asian American Cancer Health DisparitieTung T Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013..the community;2) Outreach to communities to reduce cancer disparities and related co-morbid conditions among Asian Americans;3) Conduct, foster, and disseminate evidence-based intervention Research to reduce the unnecessary cancer ..
- NIMHD Science Education Initiative: K-12 Science Education InitiativeYORUBA BALTRIP-COLEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Increasing Interest in Science for Minority and Underrepresented Students Minorities, other than Asian Americans, earn fewer bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in science and engineering fields than their ..
- North Texas Hepatitis B Consortium: Clinical Site for the Hepatitis B NetworkWilliam M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..designs for a detailed database and to answer the concern raised, that is, to what extent do actively viremic Asian Americans with high normal aminotransferase levels benefit from a prolonged course of treatment with a potent, low ..
- HOST RESPONSE TO HELICOBACTER PYLORI INFECTIONPelayo Correa; Fiscal Year: 2000..In the United States, certain groups display higher risk, especially African Americans, Hispanics, Asian Americans and immigrants from Russia and Eastern Europe...
- Tribal Community-Based Prevention of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss and TinnitusWilliam Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Native Americans are 2-4 times likely to have hearing loss compared to white, African American, or Asian Americans. Hearing impairment has great cultural significance to Native Americans due to the reliance on oral ..
- Family Processes in Chinese Americans with DiabetesCatherine Chesla; Fiscal Year: 2007..three times those observed in European Americans are found in Chinese Americans, the largest group of Asian Americans and one of the most rapidly growing immigrant groups...
- Personality and Health - A Longitudinal StudySarah E Hampson; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, this project addresses the gross under-representation of Asian-Americans and those of Native-Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander ancestry in health-related scientific research. ..
- NYU Center for the Study of Asian American HealthChau Trinh-Shevrin; Fiscal Year: 2013..training, education, dissemination, and community health and resource needs assessments planned during the grant period with local and national academic and community partners serving Asian Americans populations.
- Fold Specific & Entropic AdaptationNicholas Panasik; Fiscal Year: 2009..increasingly prevalent malady that affects 20% of the American population, 90% of African Americans, 95% of Asian Americans, and 99% of Native Americans...
- A Cohort Study of Active and Passive Smoking in KoreaJonathan Samet; Fiscal Year: 2003..effort to advance understanding of smoking and cancer and other diseases in Asian countries, as well as among Asian Americans, investigators at the Yonsei University and the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health ..
- A Patient-Centered Strategy to Reduce Diabetes Disparities in Chinese AmericansSusan Ivey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diabetes has emerged as a new epidemic across the US and diabetes rates are growing faster among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders than in any other racial/ethnic group...
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities and High Volume HospitalsBradford Gray; Fiscal Year: 2003..use the HCUP state inpatient data base to compare hospital usage of whites, African Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans. The primary focus will be on comparing use of high volume hospitals for conditions and procedures for which ..
- Culture, Dialectical Thinking and PsychopathologyKaiping Peng; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary cultural groups examined in this research include Chinese (Beijing, China), Asian Americans, and European Americans...
- Improving the Health of Cambodian American Women: A CBPR ApproachJuliet P Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..at the Berkeley office of PI RE are developing this proposal in partnership with Community Health for Asian Americans (CHAA), a community-based organization with whom they have been working for several years, as well as with ..
- Culture and Mental Illness: Risk, Prevention and Treatment in Asian AmericansMargaret Shih; Fiscal Year: 2011..together top researchers across diverse academic disciplines focusing specifically on mental illness for Asian Americans on a national scale...
- PreS2 Mutant of Hepatitis B Virus as Early Marker of Hepatocellular CarcinomaTIEN SZE YEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..throughout the world and the US, especially among minorities such as African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Americans. Recent clinical data have pointed to an association between HCC and HBV mutants with in-frame deletions in ..
- Health Effects of PCB Exposure from Contaminated FishSusan Schantz; Fiscal Year: 2006..by applicant): The overall goal of the proposed research is to evaluate neuropsychological outcomes in Asian Americans exposed to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and methyl mercury (MeHg) via consumption of fish from polluted ..
- NEW MEXICO ACCESS TO RESEARCH CAREERS IN MENTAL HEALTHPhilip May; Fiscal Year: 2009..May. This honors undergraduate program trains qualified Hispanics, American Indians, African and Asian Americans, and other under served students in research in mental health and co-morbidity...
- DIETARY SURVEY INSTRUMENT DEVELOPMENT FOR AN ETHNIC MINOL Su; Fiscal Year: 2001..b>Asian Americans constitute the fastest growing ethnic population in the United States...
- South Asians Engaging in Hypertension Awareness & Treatment (SAEHAT)Jyotsna Changrani; Fiscal Year: 2007..and Treatment (SAEHAT) addresses the glaring gap in hypertension education and service linkage for South Asian Americans. The aims of SAEHAT are: Aim I: To develop and increase capacity building to support community-based ..
- Development and Pilot Testing of the Filial Values IndexPatricia Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..To date, the filial values of Asian Americans have been examined more than those of any other group...
- Asian Community Cancer Health Disparities Center (ACCHDC)Grace X Ma; Fiscal Year: 2013..successful collaborations during ATECAR SPN and CNP-I, have established strong partnerships with Asian communities and are dedicated to the Center's mission of reducing cancer health disparities in underserved Asian Americans.
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis-Eye StudyRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005..6,500 men and women aged 45-84 years of diverse ethnicities (Caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics and Asian Americans)...
- CULTURAL BELIEFS AND BREAST CANCER SCREENINGMei yu Yu; Fiscal Year: 2001..The complex nature of doing research with Asian Americans requires cultural appropriateness of the assessment instruments...
- COLLABORATIVE ALCOHOL EPIDEMIOLOGY RESEARCHRaul Caetano; Fiscal Year: 2000..provides care for a number of minority populations such as Native Hawaiians and several national groups of Asian Americans (e.g., Japanese Americans, Filipino Americans)...