Genomes and Genes
Summary: Members of a Semitic people inhabiting the Arabian peninsula or other countries of the Middle East and North Africa. The term may be used with reference to ancient, medieval, or modern ethnic or cultural groups. (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)
Publications358 found, 100 shown here
- European genetic variants associated with type 2 diabetes in North African ArabsS Cauchi
CNRS UMR 8199, Genomics and Metabolic Diseases, Lille, France
Diabetes Metab 38:316-23. 2012..Our study aimed to validate these markers and to assess their combined effects, using large case-control studies of Moroccan and Tunisian individuals...
- Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS) breast cancer susceptibility loci in Arabs: susceptibility and prognostic implications in TunisiansJingxuan Shan
Genetic Medicine and Immunology Laboratory, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar, Qatar Foundation, Education City, P O Box 24144, Doha, Qatar
Breast Cancer Res Treat 135:715-24. 2012..In conclusion, GWAS breast cancer FGFR2, TNRC9, MAP3K1, and 8q24 loci are associated with an increased risk of breast cancer and genetic variation in FGFR2 gene may predict the aggressiveness of breast cancer in Tunisians...
- In search of the genetic footprints of Sumerians: a survey of Y-chromosome and mtDNA variation in the Marsh Arabs of IraqNadia Al-Zahery
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100 Pavia, Italy
BMC Evol Biol 11:288. 2011..This area has been occupied by human communities since ancient times and the present-day inhabitants, the Marsh Arabs, are considered the population with the strongest link to ancient Sumerians...
- Contribution of common variants of ENPP1, IGF2BP2, KCNJ11, MLXIPL, PPARγ, SLC30A8 and TCF7L2 to the risk of type 2 diabetes in Lebanese and Tunisian ArabsN Mtiraoui
Research Unit of Biology and Genetics of Hematological and Autoimmune diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
Diabetes Metab 38:444-9. 2012..through genome-wide association studies (GWAS) have been replicated in many populations, their association in Arabs has not been reported...
- Decreasing prevalence of the full metabolic syndrome but a persistently high prevalence of dyslipidemia among adult ArabsNasser M Al-Daghri
Biochemistry Department, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
PLoS ONE 5:e12159. 2010..estimates but remains high, while dyslipidemia remains extremely high, affecting almost 90% of middle-aged Arabs. Screening for dyslipidemia among Saudi adults is warranted, especially among those most at risk...
- Health as human security in the occupied Palestinian territoryRajaie Batniji
Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 373:1133-43. 2009....
- Community context, acculturation and low-birth-weight risk among Arab Americans: evidence from the Arab-American birth-outcomes studyAbdulrahman M El-Sayed
Department of Epidemiology, Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:155-60. 2010....
- Food habits and physical activity patterns among Palestinian adolescents: findings from the national study of Palestinian schoolchildren (HBSC-WBG2004)H Al Sabbah
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Ghent University, Belgium
Public Health Nutr 10:739-46. 2007..To describe the food habits and physical (in)activity patterns and to investigate the relationship with sociodemographic factors among Palestinian adolescents...
- Lifestyle intervention in obese Arab women: a randomized controlled trialOfra Kalter-Leibovici
Units of Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Tel Hashomer, Ramat Gan 52621, Israel
Arch Intern Med 170:970-6. 2010..Few randomized controlled trials on lifestyle interventions have been reported in non-Western populations; none have been reported in Arab populations...
- Effects of political and military traumas on children: the Palestinian caseA Baker
Birzeit University, West Bank, Palestine
Clin Psychol Rev 19:935-50. 1999..Although the article will examine studies from various regions, specific emphasis will be placed on the Palestinian experience...
- Varied prevalence of factor V G1691A (Leiden) and prothrombin G20210A single nucleotide polymorphisms among ArabsWassim Y Almawi
Al Jawhara Center for Molecular Medicine, Genetics and Inherited Diseases, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Bahrain
J Thromb Thrombolysis 20:163-8. 2005..of the heterogeneity in their world distribution and lack of sufficient information about their distribution among Arabs, we addressed the prevalence of both SNPs in 4 distinct Arab populations (Lebanon, Tunisia, Bahrain, and Saudi ..
- Age at diagnosis of breast cancer in Arab nationsHesahm Najjar
Surgical Oncology Department, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Int J Surg 8:448-52. 2010..However, the statistical data to support this impression is remarkably scarce...
- Mitochondrial DNA lineages of African origin confer susceptibility to primary open-angle glaucoma in Saudi patientsKhaled K Abu-Amero
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Mol Vis 17:1468-72. 2011..This encouraged us to extend our work and assess whether mtDNA diagnostic polymorphisms, defining geographically structured haplogroups, could be associated with the development of POAG...
- Obesity in a rural and an urban Palestinian West Bank populationH F Abdul-Rahim
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, West Bank, Palestinian Authority
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:140-6. 2003....
- J1-M267 Y lineage marks climate-driven pre-historical human displacementsSergio Tofanelli
Dipartimento di Biologia, University of Pisa, Italy
Eur J Hum Genet 17:1520-4. 2009..Furthermore, J1 STR motifs previously used to trace Arab or Jewish ancestries were shown unsuitable as diagnostic markers for ethnicity...
- Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, and cancer in the occupied Palestinian territoryAbdullatif Husseini
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, Birzeit, Occupied Palestinian Territory
Lancet 373:1041-9. 2009..A large proportion of health-care expenditure is on expensive curative care outside the area. Effective comprehensive prevention programmes should be implemented, and the health-care system should be redesigned to address these diseases...
- Biomedical publications in an unstable region: the Arab world, 1988-2002Ghazi Omar Tadmouri
Lancet 362:1766. 2003
- Adiposity and insulin resistance correlate with telomere length in middle-aged Arabs: the influence of circulating adiponectinOmar S Al-Attas
Department of Biochemistry, Obesity Research Center, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Eur J Endocrinol 163:601-7. 2010..In this study, we determined associations of chromosomal telomere length (TL) to markers of obesity and insulin resistance in middle-aged adult male and female Arabs with and without diabetes mellitus type 2 (DMT2).
- Single-nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotypes in the adiponectin gene contribute to the genetic risk for type 2 diabetes in Tunisian ArabsNabil Mtiraoui
Research unit of Biology and Genetics of Cancer and Haematological and Autoimmune diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy of Monastir, University of Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 97:290-7. 2012..These results support a significant association of ADIPOQ gene polymorphism with T2DM in Tunisian Arabs.
- Sensitivity and specificity of glycated hemoglobin as a diagnostic test for diabetes and prediabetes in ArabsNicole R Pinelli
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201 2417, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E1680-3. 2011..The diagnostic utility of A1C has not been evaluated in Arabs, a population at increased risk for developing diabetes.
- Between traditional and modern perceptions of breast and cervical cancer screenings: a qualitative study of Arab women in IsraelFaisal Azaiza
Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, School of Social Work, Haifa University, Israel
Psychooncology 17:34-41. 2008..However, there was firm agreement that although these created emotional difficulties, they were not sufficiently important to cause women to forgo screenings...
- Serum leptin and its relationship with metabolic variables in Arabs with type 2 diabetes mellitusKamal A Al-Shoumer
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait University, Jabriya, Kuwait
Ann Saudi Med 28:367-70. 2008..We studied serum leptin concentrations and parameters related to glycemic control and the association between leptin levels and anthropometric and metabolic factors in Arab patients with type 2 diabetes and in Arab control subjects...
- Comparison of obesity and its relationship to some metabolic risk factors of atherosclerosis in Arabs and South Asians in KuwaitPavel Babusik
Department of Internal Medicine, Al Rashid Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 19:275-80. 2010The aims of the study were to compare obesity and its association with risk factors of atherosclerosis in Arabs and South Asians in Kuwait and to define which of the anthropometric parameters is best suited for clinical purposes in ..
- Contribution of type 2 diabetes associated loci in the Arabic population from Tunisia: a case-control studyIntissar Ezzidi
Faculty of Pharmacy of Monastir, University of Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
BMC Med Genet 10:33. 2009..Our aim was to evaluate the contribution to T2D of five of these established T2D-associated loci in the Arabic population from Tunisia...
- Phenotypic spectrum of neurodegeneration associated with mutations in the PLA2G6 gene (PLAN)M A Kurian
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Neurology 70:1623-9. 2008..Previously, children with PLA2G6 mutations have been diagnosed with several different disorders and we wished to better define the phenotype of PLA2G6- associated neurodegeneration...
- Self-therapy practices among university students in Palestine: focus on herbal remediesAnsam F Sawalha
Poison Control and Drug Information Center PCDIC, An Najah National University, Nablus, Palestine
Complement Ther Med 16:343-9. 2008..Herbal self-therapy is a common practice among Palestinians. However, no published data are available on herbal self-therapy in the Middle East in general, and in Palestine in particular...
- Association of adiponectin promoter variants with traits and clusters of metabolic syndrome in Arabs: family-based studyF Zadjali
College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman
Gene 527:663-9. 2013..ADIPOQ) gene that are associated with obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia and hypertension, among Arabs. We screened 328 Arabs in one large extended family for single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the promoter ..
- AHI1, a pivotal neurodevelopmental gene, and C6orf217 are associated with susceptibility to schizophreniaDaniela Amann-Zalcenstein
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Eur J Hum Genet 14:1111-9. 2006..The two genes appear in opposite orientations and their regulatory upstream regions overlap, which might affect their expression. Both, AHI1 and C6orf217 appear to be highly relevant candidate genes for schizophrenia...
- Do differences in age specific androgenic steroid hormone levels account for differing prostate cancer rates between Arabs and Caucasians?Elijah O Kehinde
Department of Surgery Division of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Int J Urol 13:354-61. 2006..Arab population remain unclear, but may be related to differences in androgenic steroid hormone metabolism between Arabs and other populations, especially as prostate cancer is believed to be androgen dependent...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and associated socioeconomic and demographic factors among Palestinian adults (20-65 years) at the Gaza StripMahmoud M Sirdah
Biology Department, Al Azhar University Gaza, Palestine
Diabetes Metab Syndr 5:93-7. 2011..This study was conducted to estimate the prevalence of MetS and its individual components among Palestinian adults, 20-65 years old in Gaza Strip. In addition to find any possible associations with socioeconomic and demographic factors...
- Religious leaders key in the Middle East's HIV/AIDS fightJan McGirk
Lancet 372:279-80. 2008
- Social cognition in members of conflict groups: behavioural and neural responses in Arabs, Israelis and South Americans to each other's misfortunesEmile G Bruneau
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02130, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 367:717-30. 2012..b>Arabs and Israelis reported feeling significantly less compassion for each other's pain and suffering (the 'conflict ..
- Subjective quality of life in a nationwide sample of Kuwaiti subjects using the short version of the WHO quality of life instrumentJude U Ohaeri
Dept of Psychiatry, Psychological Medicine Hospital, 13041 Safat, Kuwait
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 44:693-701. 2009....
- Profile of subjective quality of life and its correlates in a nation-wide sample of high school students in an Arab setting using the WHOQOL-BrefGhenaim A Al-Fayez
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
BMC Psychiatry 11:71. 2011....
- Prevalence and distribution of MEFV mutations among Arabs from the Maghreb patients suffering from familial Mediterranean feverLatifa Belmahi
Laboratoire de Genetique, Institut National D Hygiene, 11400 Rabat, Morocco
C R Biol 329:71-4. 2006..We estimated the frequency of MEFV mutation carriers among the Arab Maghrebian population at around 1%, which is significantly lower than in non-Ashkenazi Jews, Armenians or Turks...
- Body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio cut-off points for categorisation of obesity among Omani ArabsJawad A Al-Lawati
Department of Non communicable Diseases Surveillance and Control, Muscat 113, Ministry of Health, Oman
Public Health Nutr 11:102-8. 2008There are no data on optimal cut-off points to classify obesity among Omani Arabs. The existing cut-off points were obtained from studies of European populations.
- Differential contribution of MTHFR C677T variant to the risk of diabetic nephropathy in Lebanese and Bahraini ArabsRita Nemr
Endocrinology Service, Rizk Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:1091-4. 2010..We investigated the association of C677T and A1298C MTHFR gene variants and altered homocysteine concentrations in Lebanese and Bahraini type 2 diabetes (T2DM) DN patients...
- The impact of conflict on children: the Palestinian experienceS Qouta
Gaza Community Mental Health Programme, PO Box 1049, Gaza City, Gaza Strip, Palestine
J Ambul Care Manage 28:75-9. 2005..6% low levels. In "hot" areas, 55% of the children have acute levels of posttraumatic stress disorder, 35% moderate levels, and 9% low levels...
- The health of Arab-Americans living in the United States: a systematic review of the literatureAbdulrahman M El-Sayed
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
BMC Public Health 9:272. 2009..This review aims to synthesize the extant peer-reviewed literature concerned with the health of AAs living in the US...
- The role of mitochondrial haplogroups in glaucoma: a study in an Arab populationKhaled K Abu-Amero
Mitochondrial Research Laboratory, Department of Genetics, King Faisal Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Mol Vis 14:518-22. 2008..Glaucoma prevalence can vary geographically and ethnically, which suggests that a genetic element could play a significant role. Studies investigating the role of various mitochondrial haplogroups in the pathogenesis of glaucoma are scarce...
- The association of perceived abuse and discrimination after September 11, 2001, with psychological distress, level of happiness, and health status among Arab AmericansAasim I Padela
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 6312 Medical Science Building I, 1150 W Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5604, USA
Am J Public Health 100:284-91. 2010..We assessed the prevalence of perceived abuse and discrimination among Arab American adults after September 11, 2001, and associations between abuse or discrimination and psychological distress, level of happiness, and health status...
- The mitochondrial DNA variant 16189T>C is associated with coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction in Saudi ArabsKhaled K Abu-Amero
Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 14:43-7. 2010..Our results suggested that the impact of mtDNA polymorphism on CAD manifestation is influenced by important confounders, particularly the presence of myocardial infarction, hypertension, and age...
- Acculturative stress and depression in an elderly Arabic sampleNancy Howells Wrobel
University of Michigan Dearborn, 4901 Evergreen, Dearborn, MI 48128, USA
J Cross Cult Gerontol 24:273-90. 2009....
- The emergence of Y-chromosome haplogroup J1e among Arabic-speaking populationsJacques Chiaroni
UMR6578 Université de la Méditerranée, CNRS, EFS Anthropologie bio culturelle, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, Marseille, France
Eur J Hum Genet 18:348-53. 2010..Subsequently, J1e lineages might have been involved in episodes of the expansion of pastoralists into arid habitats coinciding with the spread of Arabic and other Semitic-speaking populations...
- Argileh use among college students in the United States: an emerging trendEmily R Grekin
Department of Psychology, Wayne State University, 5057 Woodward Avenue, 7th Floor, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:472-5. 2008..This study examined the prevalence and predictors of argileh (hookah pipe) use among a sample of nonselected college students...
- Impoverishment and patients' "willingness" and "ability" to pay for improving the quality of health care in Palestine: an assessment using the contingent valuation methodAwad Mataria
French National Institute of Medical Research, Unit 379 and Regional Center for Disease Control of South Eastern France INSERM U379 ORS, Marseille, France
Health Policy 75:312-28. 2006..The study raises strong doubts about the current policy of introducing patients' cost recovery schemes for funding primary health care in the current crisis situation of the OPT...
- E-selectin S128R polymorphism and severe coronary artery disease in ArabsKhaled K Abu-Amero
Genetics Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre MBC 03, P, O, Box 3354, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia
BMC Med Genet 7:52. 2006The E-selectin p. S128R (g. A561C) polymorphism has been associated with the presence of angiographic coronary artery disease (CAD) in some populations, but no data is currently available on its association with CAD in Arabs.
- The sexual and reproductive health of young people in the Arab countries and IranJocelyn DeJong
Institute for Development Policy and Management, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Reprod Health Matters 13:49-59. 2005..Building on NGO models and existing efforts, there is a need for the development of national programmes to support the well-being of young people in this region...
- The prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among arab americansLinda A Jaber
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201 2417, USA
Diabetes Care 27:234-8. 2004..To estimate the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Arab Americans by age, sex, and BMI and to examine the association between insulin resistance and each of the components of the metabolic syndrome...
- Associations of overweight and of weight dissatisfaction among Palestinian adolescents: findings from the national study of Palestinian schoolchildren (HBSC-WBG2004)H Al Sabbah
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Gent University, Gent, Belgium
J Hum Nutr Diet 22:40-9. 2009....
- Trajectories of resilience, resistance, and distress during ongoing terrorism: the case of Jews and Arabs in IsraelStevan E Hobfoll
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Rush Medical College, 1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612 3244, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 77:138-48. 2009..The authors interviewed a nationally representative sample of Jews and Arabs in Israel (N = 709) at 2 times during a period of terrorist and rocket attacks (2004-2005)...
- Vitamin d deficiency in Saudi ArabsM Y Elsammak
Department of Pathology, King Fahd Hospital Dammam, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Horm Metab Res 42:364-8. 2010..g., fracture and bone pains). This study aimed at the evaluation of vitamin D levels in a cohort of healthy Saudi Arabs. The comprised 139 healthy subjects coming for regular blood donation...
- Socio-demographic differences in acculturation and mental health for a sample of 2nd generation/early immigrant Arab AmericansMona M Amer
Program for the Study of Immigration and Mental Health, Department of Psychology, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 9:335-47. 2007..The results of this study suggest unique acculturation patterns for Christian and Muslim subgroups that can better inform future research and mental health service...
- The role of peritraumatic dissociation and gender in the association between trauma and mental health in a Palestinian community sampleRaija Leena Punamaki
Department of Psychology, 33014 University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Am J Psychiatry 162:545-51. 2005..It also examined the gender-specific role of peritraumatic dissociation in moderating the association between lifetime trauma and mental health...
- Resources and well-being among Arab-American eldersKristine J Ajrouch
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, Criminology, Eastern Michigan University, 712 Pray Harrold, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
J Cross Cult Gerontol 22:167-82. 2007..Human and social capital represent valuable resources and their distribution within this immigrant/ethnic group is associated with noteworthy variations in well-being...
- High carriers frequency of an apparently ancient founder mutation p.Tyr322X in the ERCC8 gene responsible for Cockayne syndrome among Christian Arabs in Northern IsraelMorad Khayat
Genetics Institute, Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Am J Med Genet A 152:3091-4. 2010..Cockayne syndrome (CS) is a rare autosomal recessive disorder common in Christian Arabs due to a p.Tyr322X mutation. Genetic screening of the p...
- Genetic differences among North African Berber and Arab-speaking populations revealed by Y-STR diversityMaria Gaibar
Departamento de Ciencias Biomédicas Básicas, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Villaviciosa de Odón, Spain
Ann Hum Biol 38:228-36. 2011..1). The results suggest considerable population heterogeneity in North Africa...
- The impact of congenital malformations and Mendelian diseases on infant mortality in IsraelJoel Zlotogora
Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:416-8. 2003..Infant mortality in Israel is twofold higher among non-Jews than Jews...
- Infantile systemic hyalinosis: a fatal disorder commonly diagnosed among ArabsS M Al-Mayouf
Section of Pediatric Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, MBC 58, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Clin Exp Rheumatol 23:717-20. 2005..This report represents the largest series of ISH. Our data suggests that ISH is a commonly diagnosed disorder in Saudi Arabia and among Arabs.
- The molecular basis of autosomal recessive diseases among the Arabs and Druze in IsraelJoel Zlotogora
Department of Community Genetics, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health Israel, Building 67, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, 52621 Ramat Gan, Israel
Hum Genet 128:473-9. 2010The Israeli population mainly includes Jews, Muslim and Christian Arabs, and Druze In the last decade, data on genetic diseases present in the population have been systematically collected and are available online in the Israeli national ..
- Jews and Arabs in the same region in Israel exhibit major differences in dietary patternsKathleen Abu-Saad
Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Ramat Gan, Israel
J Nutr 142:2175-81. 2012..04 (95% CI: 1.06-3.94)], and reported other healthy lifestyle behaviors. In relation to the Healthy pattern, Arabs were less likely than Jews to be in the top intake tertile, but the magnitude of the difference was less in ..
- A study of Gm allotypes and immunoglobulin heavy gamma IGHG genes in Berbers, Arabs and sub-Saharan Africans from Jerba Island, TunisiaB Y Loveslati
Department of Biology, University of Tunis Elmanar, Tunis, Tunisia
Eur J Immunogenet 28:531-8. 2001The Gm polymorphism of human IgG immunoglobulins was investigated in three different ethnic groups--Arabs, Berbers and 'dark-skinned people'--on Jerba Island, Tunisia...
- Trends in incidence of colorectal cancer in Jewish and Arab populations in central IsraelZvi Fireman
Gastroenterology Department, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera, Israel
Digestion 72:223-7. 2005To compare the current differences with our earlier findings on the incidence and locations of colorectal cancer (CRC) among Israeli-born Jews and Arabs living within the same central coastal region in Israel.
- Vascular dementia among elderly Arabs in Wadi AraAbdalla Bowirrat
Tel Aviv University Medical School, Ramat Aviv 69978, Israel
J Neurol Sci 203:73-6. 2002..We confirm the association between VaD, illiteracy and hypertension. Smoking and gender do not represent risk factors for VaD in this population. While suggestive, DM is not a statistically significant risk factor for VaD...
- Heritability of determinants of the metabolic syndrome among healthy Arabs of the Oman family studyRiad A Bayoumi
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, Al Khod, P O Box 35, Muscat 123, Sultanate of Oman
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:551-6. 2007..some determinants, such as weight, BMI, and HDL level, are under significant genetic influence among the Omani Arabs. Other determinants such as insulin resistance, abdominal obesity, diastolic blood pressure, and TG levels seem to ..
- Genetic study of Saudi diabetes (GSSD): significant association of the KCNJ11 E23K polymorphism with type 2 diabetesOsama Alsmadi
Arabian Diagnostic Laboratory ADL, Research Centre, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, and Diabetes Center, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:137-40. 2008The E23K variant of KCNJ11 has been associated with type 2 diabetes (T2D) in several but not all populations studied. Thus far, despite a high incidence of T2D, the role of this variant in Arabs has not been established.
- Childhood and adolescent diabetes mellitus in Arabs residing in the United Arab EmiratesJohn Punnose
Department of Medicine, Al Ain Hospital, P O Box 18841, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 55:29-33. 2002..All of them initially responded to diet and oral hypoglycaemic drugs. Public education about DM in childhood and prevention of adolescent obesity remain major public health challenges in the UAE...
- The relative importance of traditional and "modern" foods for Israeli Negev Bedouins. A population in transitionD Fraser
S Daniel Abraham International Center for Health and Nutrition, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 653, Beer Sheva, 84105 Israel
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 11:66-9. 2001..The Bedouin Arabs in Southern Israel are a traditionally semi-nomadic/nomadic population undergoing a rapid process of urbanization ..
- Adult-onset diabetes among Arabs and Jews in Israel: a population-based studyO Kalter-Leibovici
Unit of Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Diabet Med 29:748-54. 2012To study the age at presentation and factors associated with adult-onset diabetes (≥ 20 years) among Arabs and Jews in Israel.
- Estimation of stature using lower limb measurements in Sudanese ArabsAltayeb Abdalla Ahmed
Anatomy Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum, P O Box 102, Khartoum, Sudan
J Forensic Leg Med 20:483-8. 2013..The aim of this study was to assess the reliability and accuracy of using lower limb measurements for stature estimations...
- The development of social essentialism: the case of israeli children's inferences about jews and arabsDana Birnbaum
Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Child Dev 81:757-77. 2010..144 kindergarten, 2nd-, and 6th-grade Israeli children from 3 sectors: secular Jews, religious Jews, and Muslim Arabs. Study 1-wherein social categories were labeled-found that ethnic categories were the most inductively powerful, ..
- Cross-national study of attitudes towards seeking professional help: Jordan, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Arabs in IsraelAlean Al-Krenawi
Spitzer Department of Social Work, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
Int J Soc Psychiatry 50:102-14. 2004..This is the first study to compare help-seeking processes among Muslim Arab female students in Jordan, the United Arab Emirates and Israel...
- The limitations on choice: Palestinian women's childbirth location, dissatisfaction with the place of birth and determinantsRita Giacaman
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University Birzeit, Palestine
Eur J Public Health 17:86-91. 2007..We further identify some of the determinants of women's dissatisfaction with childbirth location...
- Health beliefs and rates of breast cancer screening among Arab womenFaisal Azaiza
School of Social Work, Faculty of Health and Welfare Studies, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 15:520-30. 2006..To examine the relationship between health beliefs and participation in breast cancer screening among Arab women in Israel...
- Clinical epidemiology of Crohn's disease in Arabs based on the Montreal ClassificationIqbal Siddique
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Inflamm Bowel Dis 18:1689-97. 2012There has been a remarkable increase in the incidence of Crohn's disease (CD) among Arabs in recent years. We conducted this study to determine the clinical epidemiology of CD in Kuwait.
- Differential perceptions of the seriousness of male violence against female intimate partners among Jews and Arabs in IsraelSergio Herzog
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Haifa, Israel
J Interpers Violence 19:891-900. 2004..present study examines these contradictory propositions in Israel focusing on its two main ethnic groups--Jews and Arabs. In an attitudinal survey, respondents were required to evaluate the seriousness of hypothetical crime scenarios ..
- Association of the platelet glycoprotein receptor IIIa (PlA1/PlA1) genotype with coronary artery disease in ArabsKhaled K Abu-Amero
Department of Genetics, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 15:77-9. 2004..There were no previous reports investigating the distribution of this allele and its possible link to CAD in Arabs. We used the polymerase chain reaction and allele-specific restriction digestion for determining the prevalence of ..
- The impact of prenatal diagnosis and termination of pregnancy on the relative incidence of malformations at birth among Jews and Muslim Arabs in IsraelJoel Zlotogora
Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 12:539-42. 2010..As a result, in many cases the incidence of malformations at birth does not represent their true incidence...
- Frequency of abnormal thyroid function tests in Kuwaiti Arabs with autoimmune diseasesA M Al-Awadhi
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 17:61-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine the frequencies of abnormal thyroid function tests and serum thyroid autoantibodies in healthy Kuwaitis and those with autoimmune diseases...
- Educational inequalities in self-rated health within the Arab minority in Israel: explanatory factorsNihaya Daoud
The Braun School of Public Health, Hadassah and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Eur J Public Health 19:477-83. 2009..This study examines the contribution of material conditions, and psychosocial, community, cultural and behavioural factors to explaining educational disparities in self-rated health (SRH) within the Arab minority in Israel...
- Early breast cancer detection practices, health beliefs, and cancer worries in Jewish and Arab womenMiri Cohen
Haifa University, Israel
Prev Med 41:852-8. 2005..To date, BE practices among Jewish as compared with Arab women, and the factors associated with them have not been examined in Israel...
- Permanent neonatal diabetes: different aetiology in Arabs compared to EuropeansAbdelhadi M Habeb
Department of Paediatrics, Maternity and Children s Hospital, PO Box 20873, Al Madinah 41465, Saudi Arabia
Arch Dis Child 97:721-3. 2012..The authors aimed to define the genetic causes of PNDM in a large cohort of Arab patients and compare them with a British cohort tested in the same laboratory...
- Genetic association of NALP1 with generalized vitiligo in Jordanian ArabsAsem Alkhateeb
Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering department, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Arch Dermatol Res 302:631-4. 2010..These results indicate that NALP1 is associated with susceptibility to generalized vitiligo in Arabs, as in Caucasians. Whether the casual variants are the same of not is yet to be identified by functional analysis.
- Social and cultural meanings of self-rated health: Arab immigrants in the United StatesSawsan Abdulrahim
Faculty of Health Sciences, American University of Beirut, PO Box 11 0236, Riad El Solh 1107 2020, Beirut, Lebanon
Qual Health Res 20:1229-40. 2010..Our study adds to the limited conceptual knowledge on the meanings of subjective health evaluations among immigrants, and the findings suggest that exploring rationales provides richer information than focusing on criteria alone...
- Increasing breast examinations among arab women using a tailored culture-based interventionMiri Cohen
University of Haifa, Israel
Behav Med 36:92-9. 2010..The preliminary results showed that the culture-based intervention was effective in reducing barriers and increasing the rate of breast cancer examinations...
- Relationship between symptoms of anxiety and depression in a sample of Arab college students using the Hopkins Symptom Checklist 25Fawziyah A Al-Turkait
Department of Psychology, College of Education, Public Authority for Applied Education and Training, Safat, Kuwait
Psychopathology 44:230-41. 2011....
- Differences in self-rated health by immigrant status and language preference among Arab Americans in the Detroit Metropolitan AreaSawsan Abdulrahim
American University of Beirut, Faculty of Health Sciences, Beirut, Lebanon
Soc Sci Med 68:2097-103. 2009..S. We conclude by arguing that language is an important measure to include in SRH studies among Arab Americans as well as other non-English speaking ethnic groups...
- Evoking the guardian angel: childbirth care in a Palestinian hospitalSahar Hassan-Bitar
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, Ramallah, West Bank, Occupied Palestinian Territory
Reprod Health Matters 15:103-13. 2007..This is perhaps where the opportunity for change should begin...
- Contribution of selective HLA-DRB1/DQB1 alleles and haplotypes to the genetic susceptibility of type 1 diabetes among Lebanese and Bahraini ArabsFayza A Al-Jenaidi
Al Jawhara Center for Molecular Medicine, Genetics, and Inherited Diseases, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, P O Box 22979, Manama, Bahrain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5104-9. 2005....
- Relationship between symptoms of major depressive and generalized anxiety disorders in an Arab population using diagnostic criteria-based instrumentsJude U Ohaeri
Department of Psychiatry, Psychological Medicine Hospital, Safat, Kuwait
Med Sci Monit 16:PH103-15. 2010..using a theory-driven approach, confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), how will the structural integrity of the resulting factors compare with those of the various models that have been used to explain the relation between the symptoms?..
- A 'transitional' context for health policy development: the Palestinian caseMotasem Hamdan
Centre for Health Services and Nursing Research, School of Public Health, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 35, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Health Policy 59:193-207. 2002..A descriptive analysis is provided of the historical, political, economic and socio-demographic elements to gain an insight into the complex context of the Occupied Palestinian Territories, a country in 'transition'...
- Aldosterone synthase gene (CYP11B2) promoter polymorphism as a risk factor for ischaemic stroke in Tunisian ArabsSarra Saidi
Research Unit of Hematological and Autoimmune Diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Monastir, Tunisia
J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 11:180-6. 2010..We investigated the contribution of aldosterone synthase CYP11B2 polymorphism (C-344T) to the age-related changes in blood pressure in stroke patients...
- Molecular basis of heat labile hexosaminidase B among Jews and ArabsG Narkis
Department of Human Genetics, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Hum Mutat 10:424-9. 1997..A novel heat labile mutation, previously concluded to exist in the HEXB gene, was identified among Jews and Arabs as 1627 G-->A...
- Paranoia and conspiracy thinking of Jews, Arabs, Germans, and Russians in a Polish sampleMonika Grzesiak-Feldman
Faculty of Psychology, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Psychol Rep 102:884-6. 2008The study examined the relationship between paranoia and conspiracy thinking of Jews, Arabs, Germans, and Russians among 50 university student volunteers using Fenigstein and Vanable's Paranoia Scale for nonclinical populations and the ..
- The spectrum of familial Mediterranean fever gene mutations in Arabs: report of a large seriesHasan A Majeed
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman
Semin Arthritis Rheum 34:813-8. 2005..To identify the frequency and distribution of familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) gene (MEFV) mutations in Arab patients...
- Individual determinants of primary healthcare utilisation in Gaza Strip, PalestineT Abu-Mourad
Department of Social Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Crete, PO Box 2208, Heraklion 71003, Crete, Greece
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:701-7. 2008..To examine the extent to which primary care patients are using the primary healthcare (PHC) services in Gaza Strip, Palestine, and to determine the factors that are associated with the use of these services...
- Exploring the association between posttraumatic growth and PTSD: a national study of Jews and Arabs following the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah warBrian J Hall
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 198:180-6. 2010..PTG was not related to well-being for any of these subgroups...
- Variants within the calpain-10 gene and relationships with type 2 diabetes (T2DM) and T2DM-related traits among Tunisian ArabsI Ezzidi
Research Unit of Biology and Genetics of Hematological and Auto immune diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy of Monastir, University of Monastir, Monastir, Tunisia
Diabetes Metab 36:357-62. 2010..Common variations in the calpain 10 (CAPN10) gene variants UCSNP-43, UCSNP-19 and UCSNP-63, and the 112/121 diplotype, are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes (T2DM) and T2DM-related traits...
- An ancient autosomal haplotype bearing a rare achromatopsia-causing founder mutation is shared among Arab Muslims and Oriental JewsLina Zelinger
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Hum Genet 128:261-7. 2010..The data present here demonstrate a large (11 Mbp) genomic region that is likely to originate from an ancient common ancestor of Middle-Eastern Arab Muslims and Jews who lived approximately 5,000 years ago...
- Evidence for an interaction of schizophrenia susceptibility loci on chromosome 6q23.3 and 10q24.33-q26.13 in Arab Israeli familiesA Alkelai
Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Karem, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 150:914-25. 2009..45 under the multiplicative model suggesting overlapping function of the 6q23.3 and 10q24.33-q26.13 loci...
- Ethnic disparities in first primary intracerebral hemorrhage in northern IsraelGregory Telman
Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Rambam Health Care Campus, Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
Neuroepidemiology 34:208-13. 2010..Ethnic differences among first primary intracerebral hemorrhage (PICH) patients in an Israeli biethnic population have not yet been studied...
- ]Constance Flanagan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Planned Missing Data design will be used to reduce the effects of study attrition. ..
- Gene Discovery for Hearing Loss in Middle East by Massively Parallel SequencingMoien Kanaan; Fiscal Year: 2013..to identify mutations in the deaf population of the Middle East, including 270 Israeli Jews and 212 Palestinian Arabs. We will explore the physiological processes underlying deafness using mouse mutants...
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2005..Although there has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence-from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel-that Alzheimer's disease has a high prevalence in Arabs (20% over 60, 60% over 85 years of age)...
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although there has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence--from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel--that Alzheimer's disease has a high prevalence in Arabs (20% over 60, 60% over 85 years of age)..
- First International Symposium on Alzheimer's DiseaseROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2001..Although there has been little work on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel that Alzheimer's disease has an extraordinarily high prevalence in Arabs (20% over 60, 60% over ..
- Genetic Analysis of Microcephaly in Tunisian PopulationChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2009..The majority of the Tunisian population is made up of Arabs, but the genetic make up of Tunisia is unique among the Arab countries because of its long historical role as a ..
- GENETICS OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE IN ISRAELI ARABSROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results from this study may have immediate impact on the development of new treatment or prevention strategies. ..
- GENETICS OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE IN ISRAELI ARABSROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate goal of this study is to find new targets (genetic and non-genetic) for therapy. ..
- Feasibility of Diabetes Prevention in Arab AmericansLinda Jaber; Fiscal Year: 2008..Adherence to scheduled activities and changes in body weight, diet and physical activity will also be assessed. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Health Disparities: Survey Validation for Black, Latina and Arab WomenKaren Patricia Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be done by providing a baseline measure for cancer literacy in three groups of women, Black, Latina and Arab, who are disproportionately affected by breast and cervical cancer mortality. ..
- ARAB AMERICAN YOUTH: TOBACCO USE AND INTERVENTIONVirginia Rice; Fiscal Year: 2004..Follow up data will be collected at Sessions 1 & 4 and at 3, 6, and 12 months post-intervention. The hierarchical linear model, ordinal logistic regression and paired t-tests will be used to analyze the data. ..
- Terrorism and Traumatic Responding: Exposure and Resiliency FactorsSTEVAN HOBFOLL; Fiscal Year: 2009..In Study 2, we will survey 1,000 individual Jews and Arabs every three-months for 24 months (i.e., n=8,000), with complete replacement (i.e., a new sample each 3 months)...
- Archiving the Data from the First Wave of SHARE-IsraelHoward Litwin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data address key economic and social factors that contribute to health among people 50 years of age and older, providing unique opportunities for cross-national comparisons. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPING AN ISRAELI VERSION OF THE HRS/SHARE PROJECTHoward Litwin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Localization of a type 1 diabetes susceptibility geneELIZABETH ELLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..This work could also provide an example for identifying susceptibility genes for other complex diseases. ..
- Using Mixed Reality to build peer resistance skills in Latina middle schoolersANNE E contact NORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study results will also be helpful to other researchers developing technology based health games designed to promote health. ..
- Genetics of Hearing Loss in Middle Eastern FamiliesMary Claire King; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Breast Cancer Genomics in a Founder PopulationMary Claire King; Fiscal Year: 2008..Discovery of additional breast cancer genes of moderate penetrance in the AJ population will be important to women both in this population and generally. ..
- Multi-ethnic Genome-wide Alzheimer association studyLindsay A Farrer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Arsenic Exposure and Bladder Cancer in MichiganJerome Nriagu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Examination of the role of LPIN2 variations in skin and bone inflammationHatem El Shanti; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the mechanisms behind psoriasis and CRMO is very important for the development of appropriate therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cancer in the Middle Eastern Population in CaliforniaKiumarss Nasseri; Fiscal Year: 2004..East, no attempt will be made to develop country specific lists, although this population can be divided into Arabs and non-Arabs...
- Fundamental Goals and Risky Decision-MakingJON MANER; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., substance use disorders), as well as exaggerated risk-aversion. ..
- DFNA1 IN INHERITED HEARING LOSSMary Claire King; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- DBH as a Modifying Gene in Neurodegenerative DiseasesCyrus Zabetian; Fiscal Year: 2006..Comparing plasma and tissue levels of DBH protein and catecholamines in the two lines will detect the effect of each allele on DBH expression. ..
- Continuation of the FIND StudyBarry Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2006..of genes that cause diabetic complications will take us one step closer to finding treatments that may have the potential to slow or prevent the development of these serious complications of diabetes mellitus [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF BREAST AND OVARIAN CANCERMary Claire King; Fiscal Year: 2001..The intent of this project is to exploit genomic technologies to integrate the identification of genes biologically related to BRCA1 with characterization of those genes in human tumors and families. ..
- Modeling Complex Adaptive Social BehaviorJeffrey Schank; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, these models will be used to develop Monte Carlo statistical approaches for studying the behavioral development of complex adaptive systems. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HUMAN HYPERTENSIVE ESRDBarry Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2001..The identification of hypertension-associated renal failure genes would form a genetic basis for detection of high risk individuals and development of intervention and treatment strategies for prevention of H-ESRD. ..
- Community Integration after Spinal Cord Injury: Using Photovoice to Identify BarrSusan Newman; Fiscal Year: 2007..This checklist will be utilized to inform future intervention projects and health promotion activities that facilitate the integration of individuals with SCI into the Charleston community. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEATH RATES AND DEATH DATA FOR ASIAN AMERICAN ELDERLYDiane Lauderdale; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Time allocated for sleep: sociodemographic correlates and secular changeDiane Lauderdale; Fiscal Year: 2007..Sleep duration may be on the causal pathway between sociodemographic factors and health and may contribute to health disparities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS ON ARAB AMERICANS IN METRO DETROITAdnan Hammad; Fiscal Year: 2003....