- The law of attrition
Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, University Health Network, 190 Elizabeth Street, Toronto ON, M5G 2C4, Canada
J Med Internet Res 7:e11. 2005
..A "run-in and withdrawal" trial design is suggested as a methodological innovation for Internet-based trials with a high number of initial dropouts/nonusers and a stable group of hardcore users...
- Understanding reasons for and outcomes of patients lost to follow-up in antiretroviral therapy programs in Africa through a sampling-based approach
Elvin H Geng
Division of HIV AIDS at San Francisco General Hospital, 995 Potrero Avenue, Building 80, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:405-11. 2010
..We sought to characterize, through a sampling-based approach, reasons for and outcomes of patients who become lost to follow-up...
- Adherence in internet interventions for anxiety and depression
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
J Med Internet Res 11:e13. 2009
..We need to understand more about adherence in order to maximize the impact of Internet-based interventions on the disease burden associated with common mental disorders...
- Barriers to the uptake of computerized cognitive behavioural therapy: a systematic review of the quantitative and qualitative evidence
St John s Hospital, NHS Lothian, Scotland, UK
Psychol Med 39:705-12. 2009
..Potential barriers include adverse consequences, accessibility and acceptability...
- Dropout from Internet-based treatment for psychological disorders
Katherine M Melville
Psychological Health Research Unit, Griffith Institute of Health and Medical Research, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Br J Clin Psychol 49:455-71. 2010
- Patient retention and attrition on antiretroviral treatment at district level in rural Malawi
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Thyolo District, Thyolo, Malawi
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:594-600. 2009
..2, 95% CI 1.76-2.72, P<0.001). As Malawi continues to extend the coverage (and equity) of ART, including in rural areas, attention is needed to reduce losses to follow-up at hospital level and reduce mortality at primary care level...
- The law of attrition revisited
J Med Internet Res 8:e20; author reply e21. 2006
- Vital status of pre-ART and ART patients defaulting from care in rural Malawi
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Chiradzulu, Malawi
Trop Med Int Health 15:55-62. 2010
..To ascertain the outcome of pre-Antiretroviral therapy (ART) and ART patients defaulting from care and investigate reasons for defaulting...
- Strategies to improve patient retention on antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa
Anthony D Harries
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Trop Med Int Health 15:70-5. 2010
..High levels of retention on ART are vital for individual patients, for credibility of programmes and for on-going resource and financial support...
- Sampling-based approaches to improve estimation of mortality among patient dropouts: experience from a large PEPFAR-funded program in Western Kenya
Constantin T Yiannoutsos
Indiana University Division of Biostatistics, Indianapolis, IN, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3843. 2008
..Sampling-based approaches and statistical adjustment are the only scaleable methods permitting accurate estimation of M&E indices...
- Predictors of treatment acceptance and completion in anorexia nervosa: implications for future study designs
Katherine A Halmi
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:776-81. 2005
..There have been very few randomized controlled treatment studies of anorexia nervosa...
- Usage and longitudinal effectiveness of a Web-based self-help cognitive behavioral therapy program for panic disorder
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON M5T 1R8, Canada
J Med Internet Res 7:e7. 2005
..However, there is little data regarding the patterns of use and effectiveness of freely available Web-based interventions outside the context of controlled trials...
- Readiness to change mediates the impact of eating disorder symptomatology on treatment outcome in anorexia nervosa
Carmen V Bewell
Department of Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Eat Disord 41:368-71. 2008
- Handling drop-out in longitudinal studies
Joseph W Hogan
Department of Community Health, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Stat Med 23:1455-97. 2004
..Analyses of incomplete data requires making unverifiable assumptions, and these are discussed in detail within the context of each application. Relevant SAS code is provided...
- Dropout from inpatient treatment for anorexia nervosa: critical review of the literature
Department of Psychiatry, Institut Mutualiste Montsouris, Paris, France
Int J Eat Disord 42:636-47. 2009
..We therefore conducted a critical literature review of studies on dropout from inpatient treatment for AN...
- Factors contributing to attrition behavior in diabetes self-management programs: a mixed method approach
Ryerson University, School of Nutrition, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 8:33. 2008
..The objective of this study was to examine factors that may contribute to attrition behavior in diabetes self-management programs...
- Tackling burden in ART: an integrated approach for medical staff
Cardiff Fertility Studies Research Group, School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Tower Building, Park Place, CF10 3AT, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hum Reprod 27:941-50. 2012
..Reducing the burden of treatment should lead to improved outcomes, namely better quality of life during treatment and lower discontinuation rates...
- Incidence and predictors of death, retention, and switch to second-line regimens in antiretroviral- treated patients in sub-Saharan African Sites with comprehensive monitoring availability
Department of Public Health, University Tor Vergata, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 48:115-122. 2009
..Antiretroviral treatment programs in sub-Saharan Africa have high rates of early mortality and loss to follow-up. Switching to second-line regimens is often delayed because of limited access to laboratory monitoring...
- Comparison of data analysis strategies for intent-to-treat analysis in pre-test-post-test designs with substantial dropout rates
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Acton, Australia
Psychiatry Res 160:335-45. 2008
..However, CC analysis is generally biased under MAR. The magnitude of the bias is largest when the correlation of post- and pre-test is relatively low...
- Continuity of antidepressant treatment for adults with depression in the United States
New York State Psychiatric Institute Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:101-8. 2006
..The authors sought to characterize the rate and pattern of antidepressant discontinuation among adults initiating antidepressant treatment for depression...
- Gender differences in detoxification: predictors of completion and re-admission
Russell C Callaghan
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 2S1
J Subst Abuse Treat 23:399-407. 2002
..For both the final prediction models, gender was not a significant factor. The treatment implications of these findings are discussed...
- Emergency department overcrowding: analysis of the factors of renege rate
Phillip V Asaro
Emergency Medicine Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Acad Emerg Med 14:157-62. 2007
..The input-throughput-output conceptualization of ED patient flow is helpful in understanding and measuring the impact of various factors on this outcome...
- True outcomes for patients on antiretroviral therapy who are "lost to follow-up" in Malawi
Joseph Kwong Leung Yu
Taiwan Medical Mission to Malawi, Mzuzu Central Hospital, Mzuzu, Malawi
Bull World Health Organ 85:550-4. 2007
..This figure is 9% in Malawi. There is no published information about the true outcome status of these patients...
- Six-month compliance with antidepressant medication in the treatment of major depressive disorder
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Belgium
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 23:36-42. 2008
..Completers show a higher adherence than drop-outs. The outcome was worse in recurrent episode patients than first episode patients although they had a higher adherence...
- A review of reporting of participant recruitment and retention in RCTs in six major journals
Department of Sociology, The University of York, Heslington, York, YO10 4PS, UK
Trials 10:52. 2009
..This paper aims: (i) to update and extend previous reviews evaluating reporting of participant recruitment and retention in RCTs; (ii) to quantify the level of participation throughout RCTs...
- Depressive symptomatology and early attrition from intensive outpatient substance use treatment
Geoffrey M Curran
Veterans Administration Health Services Research and Development Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, 2200 Fort Roots Drive, Building 58, North Little Rock, AR 72114, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:138-43. 2002
..The results also indicate that future research should focus on potential distinguishing characteristics between early and later attrition...
- Misconceptions predict dropout and poor adherence prospectively among newly admitted first-time methadone maintenance treatment clients in Guangzhou, China
School of Public Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Addiction 107:1641-9. 2012
- An empirical approach to defining loss to follow-up among patients enrolled in antiretroviral treatment programs
Benjamin H Chi
Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia, Box 34681, 1275 Lubuto Road, Lusaka, Zambia
Am J Epidemiol 171:924-31. 2010
..This analysis suggests that > or =60 days since the last appointment is a reasonable definition of LTFU. Standardization to empirically derived definitions of LTFU will permit more reliable comparisons within and across programs...
- Reasons of drop-out from rehabilitation in patients of Turkish and Moroccan origin with chronic low back pain in The Netherlands: a qualitative study
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Jan van Breemen Institute for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Rehabil Med 42:566-73. 2010
..To explore which factors led to drop-out in patients of Turkish and Moroccan origin with chronic non-specific low back pain who participated in a rehabilitation programme...
- Several factors influenced attrition in a population-based elderly cohort: neurological disorders in Central Spain Study
El Espinar Health Center, El Espinar, Segovia, Spain
J Clin Epidemiol 63:215-22. 2010
..We studied attrition (i.e., participant dropout) 3 years after the baseline interview in a population-based Spanish cohort...
- "Left without being seen": a national profile of children who leave the emergency department before evaluation
Florence T Bourgeois
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Emerg Med 52:599-605. 2008
- Predictors of attrition among high risk HIV-infected participants enrolled in a multi-site prevention trial
Mallory O Johnson
University of California, 50 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
AIDS Behav 12:974-7. 2008
..Efforts may be warranted for early detection and treatment of depression and for improving retention of younger participants and those not on ART...
- Attrition from randomized controlled trials of pharmacological weight loss agents: a systematic review and analysis
A N Fabricatore
Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Obes Rev 10:333-41. 2009
..01). The pattern was similar for predicting non-AE-related attrition. Findings suggest ways to design studies that maximize retention...
- Why do couples drop-out from IVF treatment? A prospective cohort study
M F G Verberg
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CS Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 23:2050-5. 2008
..The aim of this study was to identify the role of the treatment strategy applied, and potential other factors that influence the decision of couples to discontinue treatment...
- Features associated with the non-participation and drop out by socially-at-risk children and adolescents in mental-health epidemiological studies
Rosario Granero Pérez
Unitat d Epidemiologia i de Diagnòstic en Psicopatologia del Desenvolupament, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:251-8. 2007
..To study socio-demographic and functional features related with non-collaboration in a longitudinal design of mental health within a high-risk population of individuals 9 and 13 years old...
- A prospective investigation into the reasons why insured United States patients drop out of in vitro fertilization treatment
Alice D Domar
Boston IVF, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451, USA
Fertil Steril 94:1457-9. 2010
..To determine the primary reason why insured patients drop out of IVF treatment in the United States and to identify methods to decrease such behavior...
- National study of patient, visit, and hospital characteristics associated with leaving an emergency department without being seen: predicting LWBS
Julius Cuong Pham
From the Department of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Acad Emerg Med 16:949-55. 2009
..The objective was to estimate the national left-without-being-seen (LWBS) rate and to identify patient, visit, and institutional characteristics that predict LWBS...
- Patients who leave emergency departments without being seen: literature review and English data analysis
A J Clarey
Warwick Medical School, Coventry, UK
Emerg Med J 29:617-21. 2012
- Who waits longest in the emergency department and who leaves without being seen?
Emergency Department, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Emerg Med J 22:93-6. 2005
..To determine which patient characteristics are associated with prolonged waiting times in the emergency department and which characteristics are associated with an increased risk of leaving without being seen...
- Researching special populations: retention of Latino gay and bisexual men and transgender persons in longitudinal health research
L M Kuhns
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 6th Floor M C 923, 1603 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612 4394, USA
Health Educ Res 23:814-25. 2008
..The strong relationship between study design variables and successful retention indicates that collection of thorough contact information is vital to successful follow-up with this population...
- Last observation carry-forward and last observation analysis
Department of Statistics, University of Wisconsin, 1210 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Stat Med 22:2429-41. 2003
..Some simulation results are presented to study the finite sample performance of the LOCF test and our proposed test...
- Patients who leave without being seen: their characteristics and history of emergency department use
Department of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Emerg Med 48:686-93. 2006
..We identify patient characteristics associated with uncompleted visits to the emergency department (ED)...
- Dropout rates in randomised antipsychotic drug trials
Department of Psychiatry, University of Helsinki, HUS, Finland
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 155:230-3. 2001
..It has been assumed that new atypical drugs improve treatment compliance due to fewer adverse effects. Data supporting this assumption are scarce...
- Innovative techniques to address retention in a behavioral weight-loss trial
Jennifer H Goldberg
Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5705, USA
Health Educ Res 20:439-47. 2005
..Retention was high, with 96% of the participants (N = 162) completing 18-month clinic visits...
- Scaling up antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected children in Côte d'Ivoire: determinants of survival and loss to programme
M F Anaky
Aconda VS CI, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Bull World Health Organ 88:490-9. 2010
..To investigate deaths and losses to follow-up in a programme designed to scale up antiretroviral therapy (ART) for HIV-infected children in Côte d'Ivoire...
- Cognitive behavior therapy in the posthospitalization treatment of anorexia nervosa
Kathleen M Pike
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:2046-9. 2003
..This study provides what the authors believe is the first empirical evaluation of cognitive behavior therapy as a posthospitalization treatment for anorexia nervosa in adults...
- The effectiveness of outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic lung disease: a randomized controlled trial
J P Finnerty
Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Trust, Chester, UK
Chest 119:1705-10. 2001
..George's Respiratory Questionnaire (SGRQ) (which measures health-related quality of life) as the primary outcome measure...
- Prognostic factors in patients continuing in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection treatment and dropouts
M J de Vries
Infertility Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Fertil Steril 72:674-8. 1999
- Psychiatric and sociodemographic predictors of attrition in a longitudinal study: The Netherlands Mental Health Survey and Incidence Study (NEMESIS)
R de Graaf
Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht
Am J Epidemiol 152:1039-47. 2000
..20, 95% confidence interval: 1.04, 1.38). Thus, psychopathology has only weak-to-moderate effects on attrition and is mainly related to failure to locate and morbidity/mortality but not to refusal...
- Reasons for dropout in an in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection program
Jesper M J Smeenk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Center Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Fertil Steril 81:262-8. 2004
..To gain more insight into psychological aspects of dropping out from IVF-ICSI...
- Registering initial defaulters and reporting on their treatment outcomes
A D Harries
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:801-3. 2009
..We recommend a step-wise approach to these challenges and advocate that these patients be included, wherever possible, in the TB patient register and in the cohort analysis of treatment outcomes...
- Determinants of absconding by patients on acute psychiatric wards
St Bartholomew School of Nursing and Midwifery, City University, London, England
J Adv Nurs 32:644-9. 2000
..Further investigation is required to determine exactly what it is that consultant psychiatrists and ward nurses do that affects absconding rates...
- Unacceptable attrition among WHO stages 1 and 2 patients in a hospital-based setting in rural Malawi: can we retain such patients within the general health system?
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Medical Department Operational Research, Brussels Operational Center, 68 Rue de Gasperich, L 1617, Luxembourg
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:313-9. 2010
..In a rural district hospital setting in Malawi, attrition of individuals in WHO stages 1 and 2 is unacceptably high, and specific operational strategies need to be considered to retain such patients in the health system...
- Follow-up of infertile couples who dropped out of a specialist fertility clinic
Christine E Malcolm
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Fertil Steril 81:269-70. 2004
..Lack of commitment to infertility investigations and treatment was not the reason for patient dropout...
- Mixed effects logistic regression models for longitudinal binary response data with informative drop-out
T R Ten Have
Center for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6021, USA
Biometrics 54:367-83. 1998
..This comparison between the data analysis and simulation results may provide evidence that the shared parameter model holds for the pain data...
- Psychotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder
T D Borkovec
Department of Psychology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:37-42; discussion 43-5. 2001
..CBT is also associated with low dropout rates, maintained long-term improvements, and the largest within-group and between-group effect sizes relative to all other comparison conditions...
- Using vital registration data to update mortality among patients lost to follow-up from ART programmes: evidence from the Themba Lethu Clinic, South Africa
Matthew P Fox
Center for Global Health and Development, Boston University, MA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 15:405-13. 2010
..To estimate the rates of mortality in patients lost to follow-up (LTFU) from a large urban public sector HIV clinic in South Africa...
- A systematic literature review of attrition between waves in longitudinal studies in the elderly shows a consistent pattern of dropout between differing studies
Mark D Chatfield
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Institute of Public Health, University Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 2SR, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 58:13-9. 2005
..This article systematically reviews all large population-based studies of the elderly (published 1966-2002) that report on differences in individual characteristics between people who remain and people who dropout at follow-up...
- Correlates of nonparticipation in the Canadian Study of Health and Aging
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int Psychogeriatr 13:49-56. 2001
..At one study site, efforts to "convert" subjects who initially refused to participate in the survey were successful with 26% of those who were recontacted...
- Loss to follow-up and mortality among pregnant women referred to a community clinic for antiretroviral treatment
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute for Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS 22:1679-81. 2008
..This finding highlights the need for programmatic interventions to address retention in care for this patient population...
- What is the most accurate estimate of pregnancy rates in IVF dropouts?
T E M Verhagen
Research Institute Growth and Development GROW, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 23:1793-9. 2008
..Dropouts in IVF-programmes affect cumulative pregnancy rates (CPRs), but it is unknown what the impact of loss to follow-up is...
- Effectiveness of first eight methadone maintenance treatment clinics in China
National Centre for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
AIDS 21:S103-7. 2007
..To evaluate the effectiveness of the first phase of eight methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) clinics in China...
- Unplanned versus planned discharges from in-patient alcohol detoxification: retrospective analysis of 470 first-episode admissions
Unidad de Conductas Adictivas Area 9, Generalitat Valenciana Conselleria De Sanitat, Centro de Salud de San Marcelino, San Pio X, 33, 46017, Spain
Alcohol Alcohol 37:277-81. 2002
..Early identification can be made of alcohol-dependent individuals at risk of premature drop-out during in-patient treatment. Interventions to retain patients at risk of premature UPD should be developed...
- How does dialectical behavior therapy facilitate treatment retention among individuals with comorbid borderline personality disorder and substance use disorders?
Marina A Bornovalova
Center for Addictions, Personality, and Emotion Research CAPER, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 27:923-43. 2007
..As a last step, the paper will conclude with a discussion on methodological limitations and potential future directions in this line of research...
- Attrition in cognitive-behavioral treatment of chronic back pain
Julia Anna Glombiewski
Philipps University of Marburg, Section for Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Gutenbergstr, Marburg, Germany
Clin J Pain 26:593-601. 2010
..The presented study is a subanalysis of a larger study on cognitive-behavioral treatment for chronic back pain...
- Reducing dropout among traumatized alcohol patients in detoxification treatment: a pilot intervention study
University of Konstanz, Clinical Psychology, Germany
Eur Addict Res 18:54-63. 2012
..056). The pilot study supports the idea that detoxification treatment dropout occurs more often among alcohol patients with high trauma load and that their retention can be increased by a psychoeducational group intervention...
- Attrition in longitudinal randomized controlled trials: home visits make a difference
Janey C Peterson
Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluative Sciences Research, Weill Cornell Medical College, 1300 York Avenue, Box 46, New York, NY 10065, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:178. 2012
- The addition of a goal-based motivational interview to standardised treatment as usual to reduce dropouts in a service for patients with personality disorder: a feasibility study
Institute of Mental Health, University of Nottingham, Sir Colin Campbell Building, Triumph Road, Nottingham NG7 2TU, UK
Trials 11:98. 2010
..A motivational interview, based on the Personal Concerns Inventory, may have the ability to enhance engagement and retention in therapy. Here, we report the protocol for a feasibility study for a randomised controlled trial (RCT)...
- Reasons for dropout in infertility treatment
U Van den Broeck
Leuven University Fertility Centre, University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Gynecol Obstet Invest 68:58-64. 2009
..The objective of this study was to explore the reasons why couples discontinue fertility treatment...
- Cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome in adults: face to face versus telephone treatment: a randomized controlled trial
South London and Maudsley Trust, London, UK
Behav Cogn Psychother 40:175-91. 2012
..However, some patients are unable to travel to the hospital for a number of reasons...
- [Evaluation of disease management programmes--assessing methods and initial outcomes from a health economic perspective]
Dana Sophie Birnbaum
Forschungsstelle für Gesundheitsökonomie, Leibniz Universitat Hannover, Hannover, Deutschland
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 104:85-91. 2010
..Hence the evaluation method has failed to prove the quality of Disease Management Programmes in Germany. This is why consistent further development is needed...
- Achievement of second parenthood in an ART programme using frozen donor semen: cohort follow-up
CECOS, Biologie de la Reproduction, département de gynécologie obstétrique et reproduction humaine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Bretonneau, 37044 Tours, France
Hum Reprod 18:1853-7. 2003
..This study was designed to determine the efficacy of a programme using frozen donor semen in a cohort of patients returning for treatment after previously conceiving through donor insemination (DI)...
- Triggered sampling could help improve longitudinal studies of persons with elevated mortality risk
Joel A Dubin
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 60:288-93. 2007
..We denote this study design feature as "triggered sampling" (TS)...
- Sudden declines in intelligence in old age predict death and dropout from longitudinal studies
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, England
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 63:P205-P211. 2008
..At all ages and levels of baseline intelligence, the risks of deaths and dropouts further increased if test scores fell by 10%, and again increased if they fell by 20% during 4-year intervals between successive assessments...
- Characteristics of people lost to attrition in psychiatric follow-up studies
E H Fischer
Preventive Cardiology, Hartford Hospital, Connecticut 06106, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 189:49-55. 2001
..e., for research and program evaluation purposes), and strategies for dealing with this kind of methodological problem are discussed...
- Self-help for bulimic disorders: a randomised controlled trial comparing minimal guidance with face-to-face or telephone guidance
Robert L Palmer
Department of Psychiatry, Brandon Unit, General Hospital, Leicester Warwick Medical School, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
Br J Psychiatry 181:230-5. 2002
..Skilled therapists are in short supply. Self-help and guided self-help based upon books have shown some promise as an economical alternative to full therapy in some cases...
- Characteristics of patients who did not wait for treatment in the emergency department: a follow up survey
La Trobe University The Alfred Clinical School, The Alfred, Commercial Road, Prahran, Melbourne 3181, Australia
Accid Emerg Nurs 14:56-62. 2006
..However, the need for communication with patients in the waiting room should not be under-played...
- Cumulative pregnancy rates after a maximum of nine cycles of modified natural cycle IVF and analysis of patient drop-out: a cohort study
M J Pelinck
Section of Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 22:2463-70. 2007
..In modified natural cycle IVF (MNV-IVF), treatment is aimed at using the one follicle that spontaneously develops to dominance, using a GnRH antagonist together with gonadotrophins in the late follicular phase only...
- When youth mental health care stops: therapeutic relationship problems and other reasons for ending youth outpatient treatment
Joe Albert Garcia
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1563, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:439-43. 2002
..The findings highlight major themes underlying decisions to end child therapy, and they highlight the importance of the therapeutic relationship...
- Prevalence and predictors of default from tuberculosis treatment in Hong Kong
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 9:263-8. 2003
..To determine the prevalence and risk factors of default from tuberculosis treatment in Hong Kong...
- Treatment retention among children entering a new episode of mental health care
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:1022-8. 2004
..Differences between children who received treatment from mental health professionals and those who were treated by primary care physicians were also examined...
- Reducing attrition in panel studies in developing countries
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 49 51 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP
Int J Epidemiol 33:493-8. 2004
- When and why do subfertile couples discontinue their fertility care? A longitudinal cohort study in a secondary care subfertility population
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jeroen Bosch Ziekenhuis, PO Box 90153, 5200 ME s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 24:3127-35. 2009
..A substantial number of subfertile couples discontinues fertility care before achieving pregnancy. Most studies on dropouts are related to IVF. The aim here is to examine dropout rates at all stages of fertility care...
- Dropout, nonusage attrition, and pretreatment predictors of nonusage attrition in a commercial Web-based weight loss program
Melinda J Neve
School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health, The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, Australia
J Med Internet Res 12:e69. 2010
..However, poor retention (dropout attrition) and website utilization (nonusage attrition) are major inhibitors to the effectiveness of Web-based programs...
- Investigating patient exclusion bias in meta-analysis
Jayne F Tierney
Meta analysis Group, MRC Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA, UK
Int J Epidemiol 34:79-87. 2005
..Trial investigators frequently exclude patients from trial analyses which may bias estimates of the effect of treatment. Combining these estimates in a meta-analysis could aggregate any such biases...
- Pretreatment predictors of attrition and successful weight management in women
P J Teixeira
Department of Exercise and Health, Faculty of Human Movement, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1124-33. 2004
..Success was defined by commonly used health-related criteria (5% weight loss). Noncompletion was also used as a marker of a failed attempt at weight control...
- Information given to patients before appointments and its effect on non-attendance rate
K J Hardy
Diabetes Centre, Whiston Hospital, Prescot, Merseyside L35 5DR
BMJ 323:1298-300. 2001
..Wasted outpatient appointments as a result of clinic non-attendance, exacerbating outpatient waiting times...
- Factors influencing the cumulative conception rate and discontinuation of in vitro fertilization treatment for infertility
Assisted Conception Unit, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 78:40-6. 2002
..To examine the cumulative conception rate and live birth rate in women undergoing IVF and to assess the influence of prognostic factors on cumulative conception rate and discontinuation of treatment...
- Addressing an idiosyncrasy in estimating survival curves using double sampling in the presence of self-selected right censoring
C E Frangakis
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Biometrics 57:333-42. 2001
..We evaluate our method in a realistic situation by simulating data that match published margins on survival and dropout from an actual hip-replacement study. Limitations and extensions of our design and analytic method are discussed...
- Predictors of drop-out in overweight and obese outpatients
E M Inelmen
Department of Medical and Surgical Science, Division of Geriatrics, University of Padua, Italy
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:122-8. 2005
..To investigate the impact on drop-out rates of several baseline clinical characteristics of a sample of overweight and obese outpatients...
- Cohort Profile: Caribbean, Central and South America Network for HIV research (CCASAnet) collaboration within the International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA) programme
Catherine C McGowan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Int J Epidemiol 36:969-76. 2007
- Relapse prevention in schizophrenia with new-generation antipsychotics: a systematic review and exploratory meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials
Klinik and Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Technichen Universität München, Germany
Am J Psychiatry 160:1209-22. 2003
..The authors performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies of the potential of new-generation antipsychotic drugs to improve adherence and decrease relapse rates in patients with schizophrenia...
- Mortality and failure among tuberculosis patients who did not complete treatment in Vietnam: a cohort study
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, The Hague, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 7:134. 2007
..Treatment outcomes rates were 1.4% default, 3.0% transfer-out, 0.4% failure and 2.6% death in northern Vietnam in 2003...
- Retention in naltrexone implant treatment for opioid dependence
Norwegian Centre for Addiction Research, Kirkeveien, Oslo, Norway
Drug Alcohol Depend 111:166-9. 2010
..Sustained release naltrexone seems promising in reducing opioid use, but the extent to which patients remain in treatment beyond the first dosage of naltrexone is not clear...
- Children with persistent conduct problems who dropout of treatment
E S Luk
Monash University and Maroondah Hospital, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, 21 Ware Crescent, Ringwood East, Victoria 3135, Australia
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 10:28-36. 2001
..In both studies dropout usually occurred after assessment and at the early phase of treatment...
- Characteristics of opiate users leaving detoxification treatment against medical advice
Deric R Kenne
Oriana House, Inc, Akron, OH 44309, USA
J Addict Dis 29:383-94. 2010
..Identifying patients at risk of leaving AMA provides an opportunity for clinicians to intervene in an effort to increase treatment engagement for these patients...
- Are we missing anything? Pursuing research on attrition
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 36:82-98. 2004
..An ecological theoretical model of research participation is proposed and described...
- Design characteristics that influence attrition in geriatric antidepressant trials: meta-analysis
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:990-1001. 2009
..To identify study-level and treatment group-level characteristics that are associated with attrition in antidepressant trials for the depressed elderly...
- Predictors of premature termination of anorexia nervosa treatment
Nathalie T Godart
Am J Psychiatry 162:2398-9; author reply 2399. 2005
- Pilot study of an Internet patient-physician communication tool for heart failure disease management
Robert C Wu
Division of General Internal Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto ON, Canada
J Med Internet Res 7:e8. 2005
..Clinicians review the information on the same day and provide feedback...
- Patient factors associated with attrition from a self-management education programme
Ryerson University, School of Nutrition, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 13:913-9. 2007
..To examine utilization patterns of diabetes self-management training (DSME) and identify patient factors associated with attrition from these services at an ambulatory diabetes education centre (DEC)...