Genomes and Genes
Summary: Human adult males as cultural, psychological, sociological, political, and economic entities.
Publications346 found, 100 shown here
- A comparison of a spiritually based and non-spiritually based educational intervention for informed decision making for prostate cancer screening among church-attending African-American menCheryl L Holt
Department of Public and Community Health, School of Public Health, College Park, MD, USA
Urol Nurs 29:249-58. 2009..modestly effective for increasing informed decision making for prostate cancer screening among African-American men; however, knowledge and informed decision making is still questionable even with screening...
- 'It's caveman stuff, but that is to a certain extent how guys still operate': men's accounts of masculinity and help seekingRosaleen O'Brien
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:503-16. 2005It is often assumed that men are reluctant to seek medical care...
- The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIVVera Paiva
Institute of Psychology, AIDS Prevention Studies Nucleus NEPAIDS, University of Sao Paulo USP, Brazil
Reprod Health Matters 11:91-100. 2003..This paper reports a study that investigated issues of sexuality and reproduction with 250 Brazilian men living with HIV in São Paulo...
- Beliefs about health and diabetes in men of different ethnic originKatarina G Hjelm
Department of Community Medicine, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 50:47-59. 2005This paper reports the findings of a study exploring the health and illness beliefs of men with diabetes, who were from different cultural backgrounds and living in Sweden.
- Men and dieting: a qualitative analysisPaula de Souza
School of Health and Social Sciences, Middlesex University, UK
J Health Psychol 10:793-804. 2005This article describes a qualitative study in which men were interviewed about their experiences of dieting and views on related issues such as health and body image...
- The influence of women on the health care-seeking behavior of menW A Norcross
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California at San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla 92093 8809, USA
J Fam Pract 43:475-80. 1996..This study was designed to determine the effect of the gender of closely associated persons on the health care-seeking behavior of persons of the opposite sex...
- "Man points": masculine capital and young men's healthRichard O de Visser
School of Psychology, University of Sussex, Falmer, East Sussex, United Kingdom
Health Psychol 32:5-14. 2013..The aim of this mixed-method study was to examine how "masculine capital" is accrued via traditionally masculine behaviors and used to permit nonmasculine behavior...
- Women's and men's exercise adherence after a cardiac eventMary A Dolansky
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Res Gerontol Nurs 3:30-8. 2010The purpose of this secondary analysis was to determine whether age affects women's and men's exercise adherence after a cardiac event...
- Men, masculinity and food: interviews with Finnish carpenters and engineersG Roos
National Institute for Consumer Research, Lysaker, Norway
Appetite 37:47-56. 2001This study explores how Finnish men from two occupational groups describe food in their everyday life. The concept of masculinity is used in interpreting men's food-related behaviours and beliefs...
- Characteristics of men willing to act as sperm donors in the context of identity-release legislationDamien W Riggs
Department of Social Work and Social Policy, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Hum Reprod 26:266-72. 2011....
- 'Just a bystander'? Men's place in the process of fetal screening and diagnosisLouise Locock
University of Oxford, UK
Soc Sci Med 62:1349-59. 2006Despite increasing research into men's experience of pregnancy and fatherhood, experiences of men whose partner is undergoing fetal screening and diagnosis have been less well-studied...
- Family-of-origin factors and partner violence in the intimate relationships of gay men who are HIV positiveShonda M Craft
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Interpers Violence 20:777-91. 2005This exploratory study examined the prevalence of intimate partner violence in a sample of gay men who are HIV positive...
- Men, bodily control, and health behaviors: the importance of ageToni Calasanti
Department of Sociology, Virginia Tech, USA
Health Psychol 32:15-23. 2013To conduct an intersectional analysis of relations between gender and age in the health behaviors of middle-aged men, informed by cross-national comparison between Finland and the United States.
- Men and women: beliefs about cancer and about screeningTracey H Sach
School of Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of East Anglia, UK
BMC Public Health 9:431. 2009..Until recently, the technology available required that cancer screening be confined to women. This study aimed to discover whether male and female perceptions of cancer and of screening differed...
- 'Brothers in arms': how men with cancer experience a sense of comradeship through group intervention which combines physical activity with information relayL Adamsen
UCSF, The University Hospital Centre for Nursing and Care Research, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Nurs 10:528-37. 2001The study investigated how a group intervention programme (13 sessions over 16 weeks), designed for men with cancer (n = 17), affected their sense of well-being and had a positive impact on their ability to cope with the physical, ..
- Treatment decision-making for localized prostate cancer: what younger men choose and whyAbhinav Sidana
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Prostate 72:58-64. 2012..This study provides insight into information sources consulted and factors dictating treatment decision-making in young prostate cancer patients...
- "He won't be my son": Middle Eastern Muslim men's discourses of adoption and gamete donationMarcia C Inhorn
Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, USA
Med Anthropol Q 20:94-120. 2006..Lebanon, I examine in this article attitudes toward both adoption and gamete donation among childless Muslim men who are undertaking IVF with their wives...
- Beneficial effects of testosterone administration on symptoms of the lower urinary tract in men with late-onset hypogonadism: a pilot studyS Kalinchenko
Russian Research Center for Endocrinology, Moscow, Russia
Aging Male 11:57-61. 2008Elderly men are bothered by lower urinary tract complaints designated as lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). In epidemiological studies LUTS appears strongly associated with erectile dysfunction, and also with metabolic syndrome...
- [Why do men use health services less than women? Explanations by men with low versus higher education]Romeu Gomes
Instituto Fernandes Figueira, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Rui Barbosa 716, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22250 020, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 23:565-74. 2007The objective of this study was to analyze explanations in male discourse for men's relatively limited use of health services, using a qualitative methodology...
- All-cause and cause-specific mortality among men released from state prison, 1980-2005David L Rosen
University of North Carolina Schools of Medicine and Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Public Health 98:2278-84. 2008..We compared mortality of ex-prisoners and other state residents to identify unmet health care needs among former prisoners...
- Implant survival, knee function, and pain relief after TKA: are there differences between men and women?Mary I O'Connor
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road South, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:1846-51. 2011....
- Osteoporosis in older Chinese men: knowledge and health beliefsLinda Yin King Lee
School of Science and Technology, The Open University of Hong Kong, Homantin, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Nurs 15:353-5. 2006
- Men in the women's world of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer--a systematic reviewNina Strømsvik
Center of Medical Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Fam Cancer 8:221-9. 2009Little is known about men seeking genetic counseling for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC). We review the sparse literature on men attending such genetic consultations...
- Men, masculine identities, and health care utilisationJack H Noone
Department of Psychology, Massey University, Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand
Sociol Health Illn 30:711-25. 2008Seeking medical help early is critical for recovery, yet evidence indicates that men do not utilise general practitioner services as often as women...
- Effects of South African men's having witnessed abuse of their mothers during childhood on their levels of violence in adulthoodNaeemah Abrahams
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council, PO Box 19070, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Am J Public Health 95:1811-6. 2005We sought to assess the effects of witnessing violence against their mothers in childhood on men's use of violence in a range of settings in adulthood.
- Risk factors among men who have repeated experience of being the partner of a woman who requests an induced abortionMarlene Makenzius
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 40:211-6. 2012..Prevention of unintended pregnancies is a public health objective; however, the profiles of male partners of women who choose to abort are relatively unexplored...
- Masculinities and condom use patterns among young rural South Africa men: a cross-sectional baseline surveyN Jama Shai
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council MRC, Pretoria, South Africa
BMC Public Health 12:462. 2012..in South Africa are potentially prescriptive of male sexuality thus accounting for the behaviors which may lead to men being at greater HIV risk...
- Jordanian men's attitudes and views of birth-spacing and contraceptive use (a qualitative approach)Wasileh Petro-Nustas
Faculty of Nursing, The Hashemite University of Jordan, Zarka, Jordan
Health Care Women Int 23:516-29. 2002This qualitative study was carried out to understand the meaning that Jordanian men attach to birth-spacing/family planning and to identify their attitudes and practices regarding contraceptives...
- Insufficient sleep, cognitive anxiety and health transition in men with coronary artery disease: a self-report and polysomnographic studyUlla M Edéll-Gustaffson
Department of Medicine and Care, Nursing Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkopings Universitet, Linkoping, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 37:414-22. 2002....
- [Experiencing familiar violence: men who commit violence against their mates]Nadirlene Pereira Gomes
Universidade Federal do Vale do São Francisco
Rev Bras Enferm 58:176-9. 2005The aim of this study was to understand which elements are present on the construction of the identity of men who commit violence against their mates. This qualitative study took as theoretical reference the Social Representations...
- The burden of illness of osteoporosis in Canadian menJean Eric Tarride
Programs for Assessment of Technology in Health PATH Research Institute, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 27:1830-8. 2012There is a dearth of information about the burden of osteoporosis in Canadian men. To fill this gap, we conducted a burden of illness study aimed at estimating the economic burden attributable to osteoporosis in Canadian men aged 50 ..
- Issues in gay men's healthRichard S Ferri
Crossroads Medical, 269 Chatham Road, Harwich, MA 02645, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 39:403-10. 2004Health care for gay men is a complicated mix of physical, psychosocial,and cultural phenomena that needs further empirical study and research...
- Predictors of support service use by rural and regional men with cancerDenise Corboy
University of Ballarat, University Drive, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 19:185-90. 2011..The current study examined how sociodemographic, psychological, physical and social support variables predict participation in formal support services...
- Sexual assault, sexual risks and gender attitudes in a community sample of South African menS C Kalichman
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, USA
AIDS Care 19:20-7. 2007..acceptance of violence against women and masculine ideological beliefs in relation to sexual assault history among men in a Cape Town township in South African...
- Where are all the men? The marginalization of men in social scientific research on infertilityLorraine Culley
De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 27:225-35. 2013..research studies are far more likely to be focused on the understandings and experiences of women than those of men. This paper discusses reasons for the relative exclusion of men in what has been called the 'psycho-social' ..
- Longitudinal risk factors for intimate partner violence among men in treatment for alcohol use disordersCasey T Taft
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, and Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:924-35. 2010This study examined static and time-varying risk factors for perpetration of intimate partner violence (IPV) among men in treatment for alcohol use disorders.
- Sociological autopsy: an integrated approach to the study of suicide in menJonathan Scourfield
Cardiff University, School of Social Sciences, The Glamorgan Building, King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3WT, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 74:466-73. 2012..the use of this approach it also offers some brief examples of substantive findings about the gendered character of men's suicides. The first half of the article explains and justifies the research approach...
- The Men's Program: does it impact college men's self-reported bystander efficacy and willingness to intervene?Jennifer Langhinrichsen-Rohling
University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688 0002, USA
Violence Against Women 17:743-59. 2011This study considered whether a rape prevention program could reduce men's rape myth acceptance, enhance the perceived effectiveness of college men's bystander behavior, and increase men's willingness to intervene as bystanders in ..
- Grape consumption increases anti-inflammatory markers and upregulates peripheral nitric oxide synthase in the absence of dyslipidemias in men with metabolic syndromeJacqueline Barona
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Nutrients 4:1945-57. 2012..b>Men with MetS (n = 24), 11 with high triglycerides and low HDL and 13 with no dyslipidemia were recruited and randomly ..
- What a man wants: understanding the challenges and motivations to physical activity participation and healthy eating in middle-aged Australian menCristina M Caperchione
University of British Columbia, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Mens Health 6:453-61. 2012Little attention has been paid to the physical activity (PA) and nutrition behaviors of middle-aged men; thus, the aim of this study was to gather information and gain insight into the PA and nutrition behaviors of these men...
- Using the PRECEDE model to plan men's health programs in a managed care settingMargaret George Meador
Quality Improvement Department, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham, USA
Health Promot Pract 7:186-96. 2006..The PRECEDE planning process yielded important evidence-based information and strategies to address men's underuse of preventive services and led BCBSNC to adopt new systems for planning interventions to promote the ..
- Striving for balance in daily life: experiences of Swedish women and men shortly after a myocardial infarctionMarja Leena Kristofferzon
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Section of Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 16:391-401. 2007The aim is to describe experiences of daily life of women and men during the first four to six months after a myocardial infarction. The focus is on problems, managing problems and support from their network.
- Men as caregivers at the end of lifeErik K Fromme
Division of General Medicine and Geriatrics, School of Medicine, Center for Ethics in Health Care, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Palliat Med 8:1167-75. 2005Few studies have focused on men as caregivers at the end-of-life. The objective of this secondary data analysis was to examine the experiences of men involved in end-of-life caregiving, focusing on caregiver strain.
- Sexual orientation in men and avuncularity in Japan: implications for the kin selection hypothesisPaul L Vasey
Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, T1K 3M4, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 41:209-15. 2012..the avuncular tendencies and altruistic tendencies toward non-kin children of childless androphilic and gynephilic men in Japan, a culture that is known to be relatively collectivistic...
- Sexual attraction to others: a comparison of two models of alloerotic responding in menRay Blanchard
Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, ON, M5T 1R8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 41:13-29. 2012..study used such profile data to compare two models of alloerotic responding (sexual responding to other people) in men. The first model was based on the notion that men respond to a potential sexual object as a compound stimulus made ..
- An experimental investigation of a psychoeducational strategy designed to reduce men's endorsement of societal ideals of women's attractivenessYuko Yamamiya
Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620, United States
Body Image 6:48-51. 2009..a psychoeducational manipulation, focused on reducing an unrealistic view of women's attractiveness, might affect men's ratings of the attractiveness of females...
- Young unmarried men's understanding of female hormonal contraceptionRebecca D Merkh
Research Department, Family Planning Council, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Contraception 79:228-35. 2009A better understanding of men's attitudes, norms and behaviors regarding women's use of hormonal contraception is needed.
- Incomplete reporting of men's fertility in the United States and Britain: a research noteM S Rendall
Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Demography 36:135-44. 1999We evaluate men's retrospective fertility histories from the British Household Panel Survey and the U.S. Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID)...
- Men's health and wellbeing: taking up the challenge in AustraliaAnn T Gregory
Med J Aust 185:411. 2006
- Social support for and through exercise and sport in a sample of men with serious mental illnessDavid Carless
Leeds Metropolitan University, Beckett Park, Leeds, United Kingdom
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:1179-99. 2008..In this article we draw on interpretive research into the experiences of 11 men with serious mental illness to explore four dimensions of social support both for and through exercise...
- Sexual arousal to female children in gynephilic menAmy D Lykins
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sex Abuse 22:279-89. 2010..assessments of single-victim sexual offenders against children have suggested that only about 50% of these men are more attracted to children than they are to adults...
- Caffeine intake and semen quality in a population of 2,554 young Danish menTina Kold Jensen
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Am J Epidemiol 171:883-91. 2010The authors examined the association between semen quality and caffeine intake among 2,554 young Danish men recruited when they were examined to determine their fitness for military service in 2001-2005...
- Constructions of equality and discrimination in professional men's talkSarah C E Riley
Department of Psyhology, University of Bath, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 41:443-61. 2002..by discursively analysing constructions of equality and discrimination from 46 interviews with professional men. Accounts of equality were produced through the interpretative repertories of 'interchangeability', 'individual ..
- Team leadership: network differences in women's and men's instrumental and expressive relationsC Webster
Department of Anthropology and Sociology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Adm Policy Ment Health 26:169-90. 1999Recent studies have emphasised differences in leadership styles between women and men. Women have an "interactive" leadership style while men are more "directive" and "authoritative...
- The male bisexuality debate revisited: some bisexual men have bisexual arousal patternsA M Rosenthal
Department of Psychology, Northwestern University, 2029 Sheridan Rd, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Arch Sex Behav 41:135-47. 2012Self-identified bisexual men report high sexual arousal to both male and female stimuli, but no study to date has compellingly demonstrated that such men have a bisexual pattern of genital arousal...
- Successful psychotherapy for psychogenic seizures in menMaria Clare Quinn
La Trobe University, Counselling and Psychotherapy, Melbourne, Australia
Psychother Res 22:682-98. 2012..contributing to the development and successful treatment of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES), in civilian men. In-depth interviews were conducted with therapist-client dyads comprising two male clients who had been ..
- Men's social networks and contraception in GhanaWinfred Avogo
School of Social and Family Dynamics, Arizona State University, Tempe, USA
J Biosoc Sci 40:413-29. 2008..longitudinal data from northern Ghana is used to assess the effects of encouragement to use family planning that men receive from their personal network partners on the adoption of modern contraception by their wives...
- Research in the psychology of men and masculinity using the gender role strain paradigm as a frameworkRonald F Levant
Collaborative Program in Counseling Psychology, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 4301, USA
Am Psychol 66:765-76. 2011This article introduces the specialty area of the psychology of men and masculinity to the broader community of American psychologists, focusing on research conducted using the gender role strain paradigm...
- Men's interpretations of graphical information in a videotape decision aidJan Pylar
Integrity Rehabilitation Services, Brighton, MI, USA
Health Expect 10:184-93. 2007To examine men's interpretations of graphical information types viewed in a high-quality, previously tested videotape decision aid (DA)...
- 'I just ended up here, no job and no health...'--men's outlook on life in the context of economic hardship and HIV/AIDS in NamibiaB Tersbøl
Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
SAHARA J 3:403-16. 2006..and central Namibia, this article provides insight into the views and experiences of primarily unemployed and poor men, and the dilemmas with which they are confronted due to lack of life opportunities...
- Altered autonomic support of arterial blood pressure with age in healthy menP P Jones
Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
Circulation 104:2424-9. 2001..We tested the hypothesis that ANS support of BP is altered in healthy older humans...
- Contraceptive attitude and behaviour among university men: a study from Punjab, PakistanJamal Abdul Nasir
Department of Statistics, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 22:125-8. 2010The men's attitudes towards family planning and on the use of family planning method may affect not only their wives intention to use contraception but also the choice of a particular family planning method...
- Men, masculinities, and prostate cancer: Australian and Canadian patient perspectives of communication with male physiciansJohn Oliffe
School of Nursing, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Qual Health Res 17:149-61. 2007..Analysis of findings enabled interpretations regarding what might be considered prostate cancer communication competencies in the male patient-physician dyad...
- Guilt, blame and responsibility: men's understanding of their role in the transmission of BRCA1/2 mutations within their familyNina Hallowell
Public Health Sciences, The Medical School, University of Edinburgh, and Western Australia Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care Research, Perth, UK
Sociol Health Illn 28:969-88. 2006b>Men and women who have a family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer may be offered a predictive genetic test to determine whether or not they carry the family specific BRCA1/2 mutation...
- A decade of research on disparities in Medicare utilization: lessons for the health and health care of vulnerable menMarian E Gornick
Office of Research, Health Care Financing Administration, USA
Am J Public Health 93:753-9. 2003..In this article, I review past research and discuss how findings apply specifically to vulnerable men aged 65 years or older. Six lessons from this review are identified and illustrated here...
- Cancer and men from minority ethnic groups: an exploration of the literatureS Lees
Research Centre for Transcultural Studies in Health, Middlesex University, London, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 9:221-9. 2000..Whilst there are a large number of studies on cancer and men, there is a paucity of data on men from minority ethnic groups...
- Men living with fibromyalgia-type pain: experiences as patients in the Swedish health care systemMargareta Paulson
Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, Mid Sweden University, Ostersund, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 40:87-95. 2002..Individuals with fibromyalgia (FM) frequently use health care services and experience only short-term improvements. They often feel that health care staff do not take them seriously. This increases the burden of living with the illness...
- Acculturation and sexual function in Canadian East Asian menLori A Brotto
University of British Columbia, Obstetrics Gynaecology, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Sex Med 4:72-82. 2007....
- Daily total physical activity level and total cancer risk in men and women: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in JapanManami Inoue
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Epidemiol 168:391-403. 2008..A total of 79,771 general-population Japanese men and women aged 45-74 years who responded to a questionnaire in 1995-1999 were followed for total cancer incidence (..
- A community-based randomised controlled trial of three different educational resources for men about prostate cancer screeningMelina Gattellari
Department of General Practice, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Liverpool, NSW 1871, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 57:168-82. 2005..In this study, 421 men recruited from the community were randomly allocated to receive a leaflet (n = 140) or one of two resources meeting ..
- Screening men for partner violence in a primary care setting. A new strategy for detecting domestic violenceK A Oriel
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Madison, USA
J Fam Pract 46:493-8. 1998Health care domestic violence initiatives have given little attention to screening men for violent behavior toward their partners...
- The relationship of psychosocial factors to total mortality among older Japanese-American men: the Honolulu Heart ProgramC D Ceria
University of Hawaii, School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:725-31. 2001..PARTICIPANTS: Three thousand four hundred and ninety-seven men age 71 to 93 were examined and followed prospectively for all-cause mortality for an average of 6 years...
- Men's attitudes towards a potential vaginal microbicide in Zimbabwe, Mexico and the USAC Coggins
Reprod Health Matters 8:132-41. 2000Vaginal microbicides are being developed in an attempt to expand women's and men's options for protecting themselves against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections...
- A comparative study of self-efficacy in men and women with multiple sclerosisCira Fraser
Marjorie K Unterberg School of Nursing and Health Studies at Monmouth University, West Long Branch, N, USA
J Neurosci Nurs 39:102-6. 2007The purpose of this study was to examine if there was a difference in the level of self-efficacy between men and women with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) and progressive forms of multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Perceptions of health-related quality of life of men and women living with coeliac diseaseClaes Hallert
Coeliac Centre, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 17:301-7. 2003Women with long-standing coeliac disease express poorer health-related quality of life (HRQoL) than men do for unclear reasons. This led us to explore differences in their understanding of HRQoL using a phenomenographic approach...
- Unexplained chest pain in relation to psychosocial factors and health-related quality of life in men and womenAnnika Janson Fagring
The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Institute of Health and Care Sciences, Box 457, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 6:329-36. 2007..e. patients with other organic causes explaining the chest pain could be included. To increase the knowledge of unexplained chest pain, this study only includes patients without any known explanation for their chest pain...
- Osteoporosis knowledge, health beliefs, and DXA T-scores in men and women 50 years of age and olderMargaret O Doheny
Kent State University, College of Nursing, Kent, OH, USA
Orthop Nurs 26:243-50. 2007To compare the knowledge of osteoporosis, revised health belief model variables (RHBM), and DXA (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) T-scores among men and women 50 years of age and older.
- Symptom burden of fatigue in men and women living with HIV/AIDS in Southern AfricaJoachim G Voss
University of Washington, WA, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:22-31. 2007....
- Construction of masculinities among men aged 85 and older in the north of SwedenLena Alex
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 17:451-9. 2008The aim was to analyse the construction of masculinities among men aged 85 and older.
- To tell or not to tell: patterns of disclosure among men with prostate cancerR E Gray
Psychosocial and Behavioral Research Unit, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychooncology 9:273-82. 2000This paper draws on the results of a longitudinal, qualitative study of men with prostate cancer (treated with prostatectomy) and their spouses...
- Men's health: why is it important? Why should ANAC care?Demetrius J Porche
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 16:1-2. 2005
- Testosterone and men's depression: the role of social behaviorA Booth
Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Health Soc Behav 40:130-40. 1999..Analysis of a sample of 4,393 men finds a parabolic model best fits the data...
- Gender matters: an integrated model for understanding men's and women's healthC E Bird
Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Soc Sci Med 48:745-55. 1999Health research has failed to adequately explore the combination of social and biological sources of differences in men's and women's health...
- Qualities men value when communicating with general practitioners: implications for primary care settingsJames A Smith
University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Med J Aust 189:618-21. 2008To determine the core qualities that men value when communicating with general practitioners in primary care settings.
- Men's role in emergency obstetric care in Osun State of NigeriaClifford Odimegwu
School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Afr J Reprod Health 9:59-71. 2005This study was conducted among the Yoruba of South-West Nigeria to examine the role of men in emergency obstetric care, as men determine whether and when their spouses visit health clinics in most cultures...
- Leisure-time physical activity, cardiorespiratory fitness and feelings of hopelessness in menMaarit Valtonen
Department of Medicine, Central Finland Central Hospital, Keskussairaalantie 19, 40620 Jyvaskyla, Finland
BMC Public Health 9:204. 2009..Previous studies have focused on physical exercise and depression. We examined the associations of LTPA and cardiorespiratory fitness with feelings of hopelessness...
- Addressing gender dynamics and engaging men in HIV programs: lessons learned from Horizons researchJulie Pulerwitz
Program for Appropriate Technology in Health, Washington, DC, USA
Public Health Rep 125:282-92. 2010..has been increasing interest in the role that gender plays in HIV and violence risk, and in successfully engaging men in the response...
- Men's extramarital sexuality in rural Papua New GuineaHolly Wardlow
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Public Health 97:1006-14. 2007..Labor migration puts these men in social contexts that encourage infidelity...
- Prostate cancer screening trends of New York State men at least 50 years of age, 1994 to 1997K McDavid
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Prev Med 31:195-202. 2000Despite the lack of consensus on prostate cancer screening recommendations, men are being screened at high rates in some states...
- 'Not living life in too much of an excess': lay men understanding health and well-beingSteve Robertson
Department of Nursing, University of Central Lancashire, UK
Health (London) 10:175-89. 2006..Drawing on focus group data and in-depth interviews with 20 lay men (including sub-samples of gay men and disabled men), and seven health professionals, this article explores how the ..
- Men report stronger attraction to femininity in women's faces when their testosterone levels are highLisa L M Welling
Face Research Laboratory, School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, UK
Horm Behav 54:703-8. 2008Many studies have shown that women's judgments of men's attractiveness are affected by changes in levels of sex hormones...
- "It's sort of like being a detective": understanding how Australian men self-monitor their health prior to seeking helpJames A Smith
Discipline of Public Health, School of Population Health and Clinical Practice, University of Adelaide, Level 9 Tower Building MDP 207, 10 Pulteney St, Adelaide SA 5005, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 8:56. 2008It is commonly held that men delay help seeking because they are ignorant about and disinterested in their health...
- Perceived stress mediates the effects of social support on health-related quality of life among men treated for localized prostate cancerEric S Zhou
Department of Psychology, University of Miami, P O Box 248185 Coral Gables, FL 33124, USA
J Psychosom Res 69:587-90. 2010To examine the longitudinal effect of social support on general health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in men treated for localized prostate cancer, and to evaluate the role of perceived stress as a potential mediator of that ..
- Urinary incontinence in men: current status and future directionsKatherine N Moore
Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Nurs Res 53:S36-41. 2004Despite similar rates of voiding dysfunction in older men and women, most funded research has focused on women...
- Individual quality of life following radical prostatectomy in men with prostate cancerRita Willener
Department of Urology, University Hospital Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Urol Nurs 25:88-90, 95-100. 2005The aim of this study was to examine the individual quality of life (QoL) of men following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer...
- Masculine gender role stress and men's fear of emotions as predictors of self-reported aggression and violenceMatthew Jakupcak
Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle VA Hospital, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Violence Vict 18:533-41. 2003To test the hypothesis that relationship violence may be related to men's fear of emotions, a secondary data analysis examined a sample of 155 male students attending an Eastern urban university...
- Knowledge and beliefs about cervical cancer screening among men in Kumasi, GhanaM S Williams
Department of Health Behavior, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Blvd 227 Ryal Public Health Building, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Ghana Med J 46:147-51. 2012..Approximately, 2.7% of Ghanaian women obtain cervical cancer screenings regularly. Men in middle-income countries play a key role in cervical cancer prevention...
- The role of shame, anger, and affect regulation in men's perpetration of psychological abuse in dating relationshipsFelicity W K Harper
University of Georgia, GA, USA
J Interpers Violence 20:1648-62. 2005This study determines the relationships between shame, anger, and men's perpetration of psychological abuse in dating relationships...
- [Few and sporadic gender elements in the medical curriculum at Umea. Physicians play a key role when implementing suggestions for improvement]Katarina Hamberg
Institutionen för folkhälsa och klinisk medicin, enheten för allmänmedicin, Umea Universitet
Lakartidningen 100:4084-5, 4088-90. 2003..The abuse of women was in the curricula only three times during the five and a half years of medical training. Based on this inventory a proposal to develop education on gender issues has been outlined and approved by the faculty board...
- Men's knowledge of the human papillomavirus vaccineMonica Christine R Nandwani
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Baltimore City, MD, USA
Nurse Pract 35:32-9. 2010..This literature review seeks to examine men's knowledge of and interest in HPV vaccination as this could potentially affect vaccine uptake.
- Testosterone replacement in menSumbul Beg
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 15:364-70. 2008..To summarize recent findings related to the prevalence, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of male hypogonadism...
- MERVYN N WEITZMANN; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Infant Screening and Diagnosis of Duchenne Muscular Dys*Paul Fernhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data points will be tracked throughout the project. ..
- NICOLE RENEE TARTAGLIA; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Soluble Epoxide Hydrolase as a Target for Ischemic CardioprotectionDonna M Van Winkle; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in men and women...
- IMMUNOGENETICS OF COLLAGEN INDUCED ARTHRITIS IN MICEChella David; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings would shed light on the role of immune system in health and disease and may identify new therapeutic approaches for arthritis. ..
- Alan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our basic research studies could have treatment implications for patients with either MDD and/or PTSD. ..
- Epigenetics of Sex Differences in Brain and BehaviorBRIDGET NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Haifei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Diane Lebesgue; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- Adenosine and the Basal Forebrain in the Control of Behavioral StateRobert E Strecker; Fiscal Year: 2012..In conclusion, there is a direct path from our studies on animal models to related clinical research, which could lead to improved medical care of veterans. ..
- Gonadal Steroid Receptors and the Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Adrenal AxisRobert J Handa; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Estrogen Modulation of Auditory ProcessingRaphael Pinaud; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, we aim to understand how this hormone engages sensory-regulated, plasticity-associated gene expression, and ultimately modulates higher-order behaviors such as auditory discrimination. ..
- X chromosome, injury and infectionZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2012..Better understanding of the protecting cellular mechanisms that are in effect during septic conditions could lead to advanced protocols in treating the critically ill. ..
- Identification of Proteins Important for Male OsteoporosisHong Wen Deng; Fiscal Year: 2013..Some BMD genes/genomic regions are gender specific. Although women have lower BMD than men, men suffer significantly higher mortality rate upon osteoporotic fractures...
- Rebecca A Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2016..The proof of the principle of prenatal programming by environmental contaminants may change our awareness of critical assessment of the risk of such compounds. ..
- Role of leptin-mediated PI3 Kinase signaling on reproductive controlCarol Fuzeti Elias; Fiscal Year: 2013..Obesity and diabetes can also negatively affect fertility. Thus, it is hoped that our studies may open new fronts for the understanding and for further treatment of reproductive deficits caused by metabolic dysfunctions. ..
- Phillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2016..Thus there is a compelling reason to focus on this disease and its effective treatment or cure, which would greatly benefit the VA patient population. ..
- Effects of In Utero and Transgenerational Exposure of Avy Mice to Bisphenol ACHERYL SUSAN ROSENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Analysis of the role of the VRK1 protein kinase in mammalian fertilityPaula Traktman; Fiscal Year: 2011..Understanding how the signaling pathways mediated by VRK1 affect spermatogenesis and oogenesis will deepen our understanding of the causes of human infertility and elucidate new targets for male contraception. ..
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, depression in women is linked to several major medical illnesses. Thus, a novel intervention for adolescent females with MDD has the potential to broadly impact public health, beyond the boundaries of psychiatry. ..
- BRIDGETTE MERCEDEZ BRAWNER; Fiscal Year: 2016..Given that adolescent health is imperative to public health, the proposed research is timely, innovative and bears great significance. ..
- Sienmi Du; Fiscal Year: 2014..While MS occurs in females more frequently and with more robust immune response, MS in men is more progressive (2)...
- Ameae M Walker; Fiscal Year: 2015..Results may also lead to the development of procedures for safely enhancing immunity in children. ..
- Mechanisms Regulating Reduced c-Kit-Dependent EAE Susceptibility in Male SJL MiceMELISSA ANN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These mice provide a perfect system to explore the how c-kit signaling, in concert with influences from male sex hormones, confers neuroprotection and may lead to better therapies for this devastating CNS disease. ..
- DONNA LORRAINE WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Validation of a functional MRI-based reward processing task as a non-invasive tooMARY LOUISE PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Olfactory Circuits for Reproduction and RewardJames A Cherry; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Margaret Markiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2014..This may lead to future discovery of a new therapeutic intervention for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. ..
- A Rapid Point-of-care Diagnostic for Neisseria gonorrhoeae STDsRichard F Selden; Fiscal Year: 2012..Dean and Shafer, and the microfluidic and molecular biology expertise of Dr. Selden, the application provides a unique collaborative opportunity to finally obtain a rapid point-of-care diagnostic for GC. ..
- Veena Taneja; Fiscal Year: 2014..The findings would shed light on the role of MHC, immune system in health and disease and may identify new therapeutic approaches for arthritis. ..
- Tracie R Baker; Fiscal Year: 2016..The University of Wisconsin has numerous NIH-sponsored training programs, core facilities and funded researchers making it an ideal training environment for me to develop as an independent scientist. ..
- Lawrence C Layman; Fiscal Year: 2014..Many men and women have abnormalities of the reproductive axis, but the cause is usually unknown...
- The Mechanism of Cryptorchidism in LH Receptor Knockout AnimalsZhenmin Lei; Fiscal Year: 2012..The current proposal is focusing on determining androgen downstream target genes and subsequent signaling network during the process of inguinoscrotal testis descent, which may provide new insight into the causes of testis maldescent. ..
- LATRICE DOREEN FAULKNER; Fiscal Year: 2015..Collectively, these experiments will establish whether the absence of insulin and leptin signaling in POMC neurons elevates LH pulse secretion and testosterone release, thus impairing the steroidal negative feedback. ..
- Progression of Autoimmunity During Puberty in SLEKATHLEEN M O'NEIL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Understanding the differences in autoimmune disease risk in men and women, and how hormones affects autoimmunity may lead to novel hormone-based therapies, and insights into this ..
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2012..bias in autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus, which affect women much more frequently than men with a ratio of 9:1...
- Endocrine Targets for Prevention of Lung CancerRobert M Bigsby; Fiscal Year: 2012..These minimal studies will pave the way for testing receptor specific estrogen antagonists and additional PR-specific antagonists in prevention of tumor growth and progression in the lung. ..
- Beth A McCormick; Fiscal Year: 2016..typhimurium triggers and controls the directed movement of PMN across the epithelial surface so that novel targets for therapeutic intervention in such inflammatory bowel diseases can be identified. ..
- Stavros C Manolagas; Fiscal Year: 2015..Lastly, the contribution of the ER1 deletion from osteoblastic cells to skeletal homeostasis in the male and the bone sparing efficacy of the EDC in androgen deficient wild type adult male mice will be determined. ..
- Gregory A Clines; Fiscal Year: 2016..ETAR antagonists also reduce the progression of prostate cancer bone metastasis in men with advanced disease. ET-1 plays a vital role in normal bone development and remodeling as well...
- Genetics of Spontaneous Pelvic Organ Prolapse in the MouseJay E Reeder; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is hoped that identification of the gene that causes prolapse in mice will lead to a better understanding of the developmental, environmental, and genetic origins of prolapse in humans. ..
- John P Konhilas; Fiscal Year: 2015..The hearts of women with these disorders maintain, at least, adequate cardiac function whereas men typically demonstrate increased chamber dilation and wall thinning, all signs of progressively deteriorating ..
- CYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2014..appear to precipitate depression and anxiety disorders more frequently in women, but deficits in serotonin in men often underlie irritability, hostility, anger, rage, and aggression leading to violence...
- Frederick S vom Saal; Fiscal Year: 2016..Perinatal exposure to BPA is predicted to interact synergistically with IUGR via additional epigenetic changes in adipocytes that alter the expression of estrogen-responsive genes and further accelerate postnatal growth. ..
- Clinton C MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2015..Using a variety of techniques, we want to learn the molecular causes of why sperm production fails in males missing the CSTF2T gene, to better understand how to assist these infertile couples. ..
- Developmental Regulation of Brain and BehaviorJULI S WADE; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- AMANDA MARIE LARRACUENTE; Fiscal Year: 2014..If SD affects Rsp rasiRNA production, then SD genotype will correlate with Rsp rasiRNA abundance in postmeiotic testis dissections. ..
- Neural Control of the Circulation: Sex and HypertensionBaojian Xue; Fiscal Year: 2013..of hypertension is critical for the continued development of therapies to treat cardiovascular disease in both men and women...
- REGULATION OF NUCLEAR ENVELOPE ASSEMBLY AND DISASSEMBLYKatherine L Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 3 is a whole-genome and promoter-specific analysis of BAF function in C. elegans, which is expected to identify genes relevant to its roles in muscle and DNA- damage responses. ..
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN STIMULANT ACTIONCynthia M Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2012..who comprise about one third of cocaine addicts, start using cocaine earlier in life, are more sensitive than men to some cocaine effects and progress to dependence more rapidly...
- Creation of hyperactive transposons for mutagenesis in rodentsEric M Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2011..Thus, if successful, this project would benefit many goals of public health by making the production of mutations in the rat that model human diseases readily accessible to the research community. ..
- White matter changes in HIV modelsPamela E Knapp; Fiscal Year: 2011..Culture studies with viral protein and HIV test whether oligodendrocytes are directly affected. ..
- Jane F Reckelhoff; Fiscal Year: 2015..Results from these studies will provide new information that can be used to design new therapeutic options to treat HT in women with hyperandrogenemia, such as in PCOS. ..
- The Role of Leptin in Liver FibrogenesisFrank A Anania; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- IMMUNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMORRHAGEIrshad H Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The relative roled of sex and genes during development of systemic autoimmunityTRINE NORGAARD JORGENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sex Differences and Estrogen Receptors Regulate Dendritic Cells in InflammationSusan Kovats; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge will help to understand why autoimmune diseases preferentially afflict women. ..
- Prolylcarboxypeptidase is a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular DiseaseAlvin H Schmaier; Fiscal Year: 2013..Up-regulation of PRCP may be a target to protect individuals from cardiovascular disease as manifested by hypertension and arterial thrombosis as seen in stroke and MI. ..
- Anne Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2014..Because there is a dearth of clinical trials for APS, an increased understanding of the role of the immune system in causing APS may form the basis for a rational clinical trial in this disease. ..
- Sex Differences in Stress Receptors Underlie Female Vulnerability to StressDebra A Bangasser; Fiscal Year: 2012..depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, are debilitating mental illnesses that affect twice as many women as men. Although the etiology of this disparity remains unknown, it is thought to be due to sex differences in stress ..
- Delisa Fairweather; Fiscal Year: 2015..b>Men have a higher incidence and severity of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) including myocarditis/dilated cardiomyopathy ..
- Investigation of underlying mechanisms of sex differences in cerebral ischemiaChad S Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. and the leading cause of long-term disability. Stroke incidence differs between men and women, partly due to the protective effects of estrogen...
- Androgen Modulation of Neurodegeneration in Dopamine NeuronsRebecca L Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nopage numbering necessary. Not to exceed 3 publications;2 for predoctoral candidates.) E3 Check if Appendix is included PHS 416-1 (Rev. 10/05) Page 4 Form Page 4 ..
- Selection and Characterization of PSMA Ligands from Phage-Displayed LibrariesGary Fujii; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of OFQ/N in Regulating the Prolactin Response to StressPhyllis Callahan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the neuroendocrine regulation of stress will lead to improved treatments to alleviate stress and anxiety, and hence, have a positive impact on health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anxiety Sensitivity, Menstrual Cycle Phase, and Panic-Relevant RespondingYael Nillni; Fiscal Year: 2011..Specifically, women score higher than men on measures of AS;and individuals with high AS have an increased risk of developing spontaneous panic attacks and ..
- EPIDEMIC HYPERTENSION IN NIGERIAN WORKERSClareann Bunker; Fiscal Year: 1999..S. black population because higher weight and blood pressure are already entrenched and static in the U.S. population. ..
- CONSEQUENCES OF MALE LH RECEPTOR GENE KNOCKOUTZhenmin Lei; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Aromatase Inhibitor in Males with Adrenal HyperplasiaKyriakie Sarafoglou; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Minimum Y gene complement necessary for successful ARTMONIKA WARD; Fiscal Year: 2009..The application also has significance for those utilizing ART to treat male infertility. ..
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Advanced Chronic Kidney DiseaseRalph Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Healthy sedentary men, with normal TT levels, will serve as normal baseline controls and will not be treated...
- Hormone Mediated Knee Joint Laxity and NeuromechanicsSANDRA SHULTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Role of 15-lipoxygenase in Enhanced Pulmonary Vasoconstriction in FemalesSandra L Pfister; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, this work is intended to advance new concepts in women's health research and the study of sex/gender differences. ..
- BPH AND PROSTATE CA IN 5A-REDUCTASE-2 DEFICIENT CARRIERSJulianne Imperato McGinley; Fiscal Year: 2000..At least 400 heterozygous men over age 50 will be studied, and 800 control males...