Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons who provide care to those who need supervision or assistance in illness or disability. They may provide the care in the home, in a hospital, or in an institution. Although caregivers include trained medical, nursing, and other health personnel, the concept also refers to parents, spouses, or other family members, friends, members of the clergy, teachers, social workers, fellow patients, etc.
Publications414 found, 100 shown here
- Alzheimer's disease in real life--the dementia carer's surveyJean Georges
Alzheimer Europe, Luxembourg
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:546-51. 2008..The dementia carer's survey aimed to identify carers' needs, differences between countries with regard to dementia care and the level of satisfaction of carers with utilised services...
- Factors determining the impact of care-giving on caregivers of elderly patients with dementia. A systematic literature reviewBirgitte Schoenmakers
Academic Centre of General Practice, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Maturitas 66:191-200. 2010Dementia caregivers suffer a considerable care burden. More than in comparable groups of caregivers or peers, they are confronted with feelings of depression and decreased physical health...
- Combined life satisfaction of persons with stroke and their caregivers: associations with caregiver burden and the impact of strokeAileen L Bergström
Division of Occupational Therapy, Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Health Qual Life Outcomes 9:1. 2011..The aim of this study was to describe the dyads combined life satisfaction and to understand this in relationship to the perceived impact of stroke in everyday life and caregiver burden...
- Illness trajectories and palliative careScott A Murray
Division of Community Health Sciences, General Practice Section, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9DX
BMJ 330:1007-11. 2005
- Caregiving as a risk factor for mortality: the Caregiver Health Effects StudyR Schulz
Department of Psychiatry and University Center for Social and Urban Research, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
JAMA 282:2215-9. 1999..of loss, prolonged distress, the physical demands of caregiving, and biological vulnerabilities of older caregivers may compromise their physiological functioning and increase their risk for physical health problems, leading to ..
- Burden, depression, and anxiety in caregivers of people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisFrancesco Pagnini
Department of Psychology, Catholic University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Psychol Health Med 15:685-93. 2010..The burden for ALS caregivers is quite high. There are still few studies that have investigated the emotional impact of ALS care...
- Family caregiving and congestive heart failure. Review and analysisGerard J Molloy
School of Psychology, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9JU, Scotland
Eur J Heart Fail 7:592-603. 2005..In this paper, we provide a review and analysis of studies that have explicitly investigated these issues in the informal carers of CHF patients...
- Family caregiving of persons with dementia: prevalence, health effects, and support strategiesRichard Schulz
University Center for Social and Urban Research, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12:240-9. 2004..literature and provide recommendations regarding practice guidelines for health professionals working with caregivers. Family caregiving of older persons with disability has become commonplace in the United States because of ..
- Nonpharmacological therapies in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review of efficacyJavier Olazarán
Maria Wolff Foundation, Madrid, Spain
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 30:161-78. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the best evidence on the effects of NPTs in AD and related disorders (ADRD) by performing a systematic review and meta-analysis of the entire field...
- Accelerated telomere erosion is associated with a declining immune function of caregivers of Alzheimer's disease patientsAmanda K Damjanovic
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Immunol 179:4249-54. 2007b>Caregivers of Alzheimer's disease patients endure chronic stress associated with a decline of immune function...
- Economic valuation of informal care. An overview of methods and applicationsBernard van den Berg
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus Medical Center, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Health Econ 5:36-45. 2004..This contribution presents a critical evaluation of the available methods to incorporate informal care in economic evaluations...
- Place of death: correlations with quality of life of patients with cancer and predictors of bereaved caregivers' mental healthAlexi A Wright
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:4457-64. 2010To determine whether the place of death for patients with cancer is associated with patients' quality of life (QoL) at the end of life (EOL) and psychiatric disorders in bereaved caregivers.
- Differences between caregivers and noncaregivers in psychological health and physical health: a meta-analysisMartin Pinquart
Department of Developmental Psychology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Psychol Aging 18:250-67. 2003..has been described as a stressful experience that may erode psychological well-being and physical health of caregivers. In this meta-analysis, the authors integrated findings from 84 articles on differences between caregivers and ..
- Effectiveness of an educational intervention on complementary feeding practices and growth in rural China: a cluster randomised controlled trialLing Shi
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA 02125, USA
Public Health Nutr 13:556-65. 2010..We developed an educational intervention, delivered by local health-care providers, aimed at improving complementary feeding practices and child nutrition...
- Effectiveness of collaborative care for older adults with Alzheimer disease in primary care: a randomized controlled trialChristopher M Callahan
Indiana University Center for Aging Research, Regenstrief Institute Inc, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
JAMA 295:2148-57. 2006..Most older adults with dementia will be cared for by primary care physicians, but the primary care practice environment presents important challenges to providing quality care...
- The CarerQol instrument: a new instrument to measure care-related quality of life of informal caregivers for use in economic evaluationsW B F Brouwer
Department of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Qual Life Res 15:1005-21. 2006..and a first test of the CarerQol instrument, aimed at measuring care-related quality of life in informal caregivers. The instrument combines the information density of a burden instrument (encompassing seven important burden ..
- Yogic meditation reverses NF-κB and IRF-related transcriptome dynamics in leukocytes of family dementia caregivers in a randomized controlled trialDavid S Black
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 38:348-55. 2013..The present study examined if a yogic meditation might alter the activity of inflammatory and antiviral transcription control pathways that shape immune cell gene expression...
- Worksite-based internet multimedia program for family caregivers of persons with dementiaNatasha Beauchamp
Oregon Center for Applied Science, Eugene, 97403, USA
Gerontologist 45:793-801. 2005Our goal was to evaluate the efficacy of a multimedia support program delivered over the Internet to employed family caregivers of persons with dementia.
- Caregiver burden among dementia patient caregivers: a review of the literatureLynn Etters
Detroit Medical Center Huron Valley Sinai Hospital, Krieger Geriatric Center, Commerce, Twp Michigan, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 20:423-8. 2008....
- Screening for dementia in primary care: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceMalaz Boustani
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:927-37. 2003..Dementia is a large and growing problem but is often not diagnosed in its earlier stages. Screening and earlier treatment could reduce the burden of suffering of this syndrome...
- Developing a primary care-based stroke model: the prevalence of longer-term problems experienced by patients and carersJenni Murray
Department of Healthcare for the Elderly, St Luke s Hospital, Bradford Hospitals NHS Trust, Little Horton Lane, Bradford, BD5 ONA
Br J Gen Pract 53:803-7. 2003..This paper reports a component of a larger project aimed at developing a systematic, primary care-based service for stroke aftercare...
- Factors influencing uptake of HIV care and treatment among children in South Africa - a qualitative study of caregivers and clinic staffA D Yeap
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
AIDS Care 22:1101-7. 2010..In-depth interviews were conducted in July 2008 with 21 caregivers of HIV-infected children attending these clinics, 21 clinic staff members and three lead members of staff from ..
- Helping caregivers of persons with dementia: which interventions work and how large are their effects?Martin Pinquart
Department of Developmental Psychology and Center for Applied Developmental Science, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Int Psychogeriatr 18:577-95. 2006In recent years, many different forms of interventions for caregivers of people with dementia have been developed. However, their results have been, in part, inconclusive.
- Repeated treatments with botulinum toxin type a produce sustained decreases in the limitations associated with focal upper-limb poststroke spasticity for caregivers and patientsElie P Elovic
Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research and Education Center, West Orange, NJ, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:799-806. 2008..and evaluate the effects of repeated treatments with botulinum toxin type A (BTX-A) on functional disability, quality of life (QOL), and muscle tone of patients with upper-limb poststroke spasticity, as well as its effect on caregivers.
- Disclosing a diagnosis of dementia: a systematic reviewClaire Bamford
Centre for Health Services Research, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:151-69. 2004..The issue of diagnostic disclosure in dementia has been debated extensively in professional journals, but empirical data concerning disclosure in dementia has not previously been systematically reviewed...
- Disclosure of HIV status and adherence to daily drug regimens among HIV-infected children in UgandaWinnie Bikaako-Kajura
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Behav 10:S85-93. 2006..in-depth interviews of 42 HIV-infected children taking ART and/or cotrimoxazole prophylaxis, and 42 primary caregivers, at a comprehensive HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda, we evaluated their adherence experiences for purposes of program ..
- The burden of schizophrenia on caregivers: a reviewA George Awad
Department of Psychiatry and the Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Humber River Regional Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, M6M 3Z4, Canada
Pharmacoeconomics 26:149-62. 2008..Frequently, burden of care is more defined by its impacts and consequences on caregivers. In addition to the emotional, psychological, physical and economic impact, the concept of 'burden of care' ..
- Fever phobia revisited: have parental misconceptions about fever changed in 20 years?M Crocetti
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Pediatrics 107:1241-6. 2001....
- Care for the caregivers: a review of self-report instruments developed to measure the burden, needs, and quality of life of informal caregiversJohn F Deeken
Department of Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 26:922-53. 2003Significant demands are being placed on the informal caregivers of chronically ill patients, including those suffering from cancer...
- Impact monitoring of the national scale up of zinc treatment for childhood diarrhea in Bangladesh: repeat ecologic surveysCharles P Larson
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PLoS Med 6:e1000175. 2009..The aim of this study was to monitor the impact of the first national campaign to scale up zinc treatment of childhood diarrhea in Bangladesh...
- A European consensus on outcome measures for psychosocial intervention research in dementia careE Moniz-Cook
Institute of Rehabilitation, University of Hull and Humber Mental Health Teaching NHS Trust, Hull, UK
Aging Ment Health 12:14-29. 2008..Areas were identified where improved outcome measures for psychosocial intervention research studies are required...
- Mental symptoms in Parkinson's disease are important contributors to caregiver distressD Aarsland
Rogaland Psychiatric Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:866-74. 1999To determine the emotional and social distress of caring for a patient with Parkinson's disease and to explore the impact of motor and mental symptoms in subjects with Parkinson's disease on their caregivers' situation.
- The Zarit Burden Interview: a new short version and screening versionM Bedard
Department of Research, Lakehead Psychiatric Hospital, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Gerontologist 41:652-7. 2001....
- Meta-analysis of psychosocial interventions for caregivers of people with dementiaHenry Brodaty
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:657-64. 2003To review published reports of interventions for caregivers (CGs) of persons with dementia, excluding respite care, and provide recommendations to clinicians.
- Employment status, social ties, and caregivers' mental healthCarolyn C Cannuscio
Merck Research Laboratories, Department of Epidemiology, Blue Bell, PA 19422, USA
Soc Sci Med 58:1247-56. 2004..In this cross-sectional study, employment status did not seem to confer additional mental health risk or benefit to informal caregivers, while access to extensive social ties was associated with more favorable caregiver health outcomes.
- Barriers to and facilitators of adherence to pediatric antiretroviral therapy in a sub-Saharan setting: insights from a qualitative studyBradley C Fetzer
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:611-21. 2011..Democratic Republic of the Congo, with 20 sets of HIV disclosed and nondisclosed children along with respective caregivers to better characterize barriers, facilitators, and adherence experiences in children taking ART...
- Associations of caregiver stressors and uplifts with subjective well-being and depressive mood: a meta-analytic comparisonM Pinquart
Department of Developmental Psychology, University of Jena, Germany
Aging Ment Health 8:438-49. 2004..present meta-analytic study gives a systematic review of research on depression and the subjective well-being of caregivers. We integrate results from 60 studies on informal caregivers' subjective well-being (e.g...
- Acceptability of rapid diagnostic test-based management of Malaria among caregivers of under-five children in rural GhanaFrank Baiden
Malaria Group, Kintampo Health Research Centre, Kintampo, Ghana
PLoS ONE 7:e45556. 2012..This implies artemisinin-based combination treatment (ACT) should be restricted to rapid diagnostic test (RDT)-positive cases. This is a departure from what caregivers in rural communities have been used to for many years.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of home palliative care services for adults with advanced illness and their caregiversBarbara Gomes
Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, Cicely Saunders Institute, King s College London, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD007760. 2013..Despite best efforts and policies, one-third or less of all deaths take place at home in many countries of the world...
- How effective are interventions with caregivers? An updated meta-analysisSILVIA SORENSEN
Geriatrics and Neuropsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY 14642 8409, USA
Gerontologist 42:356-72. 2002The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of interventions for family caregivers of older adults.
- Activity restriction and depression in medical patients and their caregivers: a meta-analysisBrent T Mausbach
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 31:900-8. 2011..and meta-analysis of the association between activity restriction and depression in medical patients and their caregivers. A total of 34 studies (N = 8053) documenting the relationship between activity restriction and depression were ..
- The health of caregivers for children with disabilities: caregiver perspectivesN A Murphy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Child Care Health Dev 33:180-7. 2007..needs would allow for the improvement of existing services and the development of new strategies to sustain caregivers in their vital roles...
- When the caregiver needs care: the plight of vulnerable caregiversMaryam Navaie-Waliser
Center for Home Care Policy and Research, Visiting Nurse Service of New York, 5 Penn Plaza, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
Am J Public Health 92:409-13. 2002This study examined the characteristics, activities, and challenges of high-risk informal caregivers.
- Stigma as a barrier to recovery: The extent to which caregivers believe most people devalue consumers and their familiesE L Struening
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:1633-8. 2001The extent to which 461 caregivers of persons with serious mental disorders believed that most people devalue consumers and their families was assessed, and the magnitude of the relationships between these beliefs and the diagnostic ..
- Community case management of childhood diarrhea in a setting with declining use of oral rehydration therapy: findings from cross-sectional studies among primary household caregivers, Kenya, 2007Christine K Olson
Epidemic Intelligence Service and Division of Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmental Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:1134-40. 2011..We conducted a cross-sectional survey of caregivers of children < 5 years of age with diarrhea in rural Asembo and urban Kibera...
- Caregiver-burden in parkinson's disease is closely associated with psychiatric symptoms, falls, and disabilityAnette Schrag
Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London NW3 2PF, London, UK
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 12:35-41. 2006The majority of care of patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) is provided by informal caregivers; their caregiving not only offers physical and emotional support for patients but also plays a large economic role and prevents early ..
- Collaborative community based care for people and their families living with schizophrenia in India: protocol for a randomised controlled trialSudipto Chatterjee
Sangath, Porvorim, Goa, India
Trials 12:12. 2011..a lay health worker led, Collaborative Community Based Care (CCBC) intervention, combined with usual Facility Based Care (FBC), is superior to FBC alone in improving outcomes for people with schizophrenia and their caregivers in India.
- Relationship of family caregiver burden with quality of care and psychopathology in a sample of Arab subjects with schizophreniaMuhammad A Zahid
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University P, O, Box 24923, Safat 13110, Kuwait
BMC Psychiatry 10:71. 2010..Questionnaire--IEQ-EU) and caregiver psychic distress on the one hand, and caregiver's/patient's socio-demographics, clinical features and indices of quality of care, on the other hand, compare with the pattern in the literature?..
- Pediatric adherence to HIV antiretroviral therapyJessica Haberer
Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Global Health, Harvard Initiative for Global Health, 3rd Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 6:194-200. 2009..This article provides a conceptual framework and evidence-based look at the factors influencing ART adherence in children and aims to identify areas for intervention for this vulnerable population in need...
- Family caregivers' subjective experiences of satisfaction in dementia care: aspects of burden, subjective health and sense of coherenceSigne Andrén
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Community Medicine, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 19:157-68. 2005Family caregivers experience both positive and negative reactions in caregiving situations. There has been considerably less published about the positive aspects, however...
- Patient and caregiver characteristics and nursing home placement in patients with dementiaKristine Yaffe
University of California, San Francisco, Box 111G, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
JAMA 287:2090-7. 2002..is complex and is based on patient and caregiver characteristics and the sociocultural context of patients and caregivers. Most studies have determined predictors of nursing home placement primarily according to patient or caregiver ..
- Making decisions for people with dementia who lack capacity: qualitative study of family carers in UKGill Livingston
Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, London W1W 7EJ
BMJ 341:c4184. 2010..To identify common difficult decisions made by family carers on behalf of people with dementia, and facilitators of and barriers to such decisions, in order to produce information for family carers about overcoming barriers...
- Paediatric HIV disclosure in South Africa -- caregivers' perspectives on discussing HIV with infected childrenK Moodley
S Afr Med J 96:201-4. 2006
- Factors considered important at the end of life by patients, family, physicians, and other care providersK E Steinhauser
Veterans Affairs Medical Center 152, 508 Fulton St, Durham, NC 27705, USA
JAMA 284:2476-82. 2000..Empirical evidence defining such factors, however, is lacking...
- Systematic review of psychological approaches to the management of neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementiaGill Livingston
Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, Holborn Union Building, Archway Campus, Highgate Hill, London, UK, N19 5LW
Am J Psychiatry 162:1996-2021. 2005..The authors systematically reviewed the literature on psychological approaches to treating the neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia...
- Preparing patients and caregivers to participate in care delivered across settings: the Care Transitions InterventionEric A Coleman
Division of Health Care Policy and Research, and Geriatric Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 13611 East Colfax Avenue, Aurora, CO 80011, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1817-25. 2004To test whether an intervention designed to encourage older patients and their caregivers to assert a more active role during care transitions can reduce rehospitalization rates.
- Social support and well-being in dementia family caregivers: the mediating role of self-efficacyAlma Au
Department of Applied Social Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kolwoon Hong Kong, China
Aging Ment Health 13:761-8. 2009The study investigated self-efficacy as a possible mediator of the relationship between the social support and depressive symptoms of primarily informal caregivers, mainly family members, of patients with dementia in Hong Kong.
- The role of psychosocial and family factors in adherence to antiretroviral treatment in human immunodeficiency virus-infected childrenClaude Ann Mellins
HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, New York State Psychiatric Institute, and Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:1035-41. 2004..This study examines child psychosocial and caregiver/family factors influencing adherence to ART in perinatally human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected children...
- Perceived stigma and depression among caregivers of patients with bipolar disorderDeborah A Perlick
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Br J Psychiatry 190:535-6. 2007This study investigates the associations between perceived stigma, depressive symptoms and coping among caregivers of people with bipolar disorder...
- Is there agreement between Canadian older adults and their primary informal caregivers on behaviour towards institutionalisation?Marie France Dubois
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Health Soc Care Community 17:610-8. 2009We aimed to compare behaviour towards institutionalisation between frail older adults and their informal caregivers, and identify correlates of differential behaviour...
- "You're dealing with an emotionally charged individual...": an industry perspective on the challenges posed by medical tourists' informal caregiver-companionsVictoria Casey
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, Canada
Global Health 9:31. 2013....
- High risk of ART non-adherence and delay of ART initiation among HIV positive double orphans in Kigali, RwandaKimiyo Kikuchi
Department of Community and Global Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e41998. 2012..The aims of this study were to assess the ART adherence and identify whether different orphan status was associated with the child's adherence...
- Prevalence and predictors of HIV-related stigma among institutional- and community-based caregivers of orphans and vulnerable children living in five less-wealthy countriesLynne C Messer
Center for Health Policy and Inequalities Research, 2812 Erwin Rd, Suite 403, Duke University Campus Box 90392, Durham, NC 27705, USA
BMC Public Health 10:504. 2010..In light of the paucity of this literature, this paper will describe HIV-related stigma among caregivers of OAC in five less wealthy nations.
- Predictors of adherence to antiretroviral treatment and therapeutic success among children in South AfricaAlexandra D Muller
Department of Medical Psychology and Medical Sociology, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
AIDS Care 23:129-38. 2011..Little is known, however, about the influence of socioeconomic as well as caregivers' health beliefs on both adherence and virologic outcome of pediatric antiretroviral treatment in these settings...
- Demographic and contextual factors related to knowledge about Alzheimer's diseaseBrian D Carpenter
Department of Psychology, Washington University in St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 26:121-6. 2011..Knowledge was highest among professionals working in the dementia field, lower for dementia caregivers and older adults, and lowest for senior center staff and undergraduate students...
- How family caregivers' medical and moral assumptions influence decision making for patients in the vegetative state: a qualitative interview studyKatja Kuehlmeyer
Institute of Ethics, History and Theory of Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Lessingstr 2, Munich D 80336, Germany
J Med Ethics 38:332-7. 2012..However, it is unknown whether family members of the patient in the VS actually base their decisions on the patient's wishes...
- The role of the Internet in supporting and informing carers of people with cancer: a literature reviewNicole A Kinnane
Peter Mac Callum Cancer Centre, Victoria 8006, Australia
Support Care Cancer 18:1123-36. 2010..Studies mostly report patient Internet use. Little is known about how carers (families/informal caregivers/friends) use the Internet and what they find useful.
- Differential features of burden between spouse and adult-child caregivers of patients with Alzheimer's disease: an exploratory comparative designJosep Lluís Conde-Sala
Department of Developmental Psychology, University of Barcelona, Passeig de la Vall d Hebron, 171, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Int J Nurs Stud 47:1262-73. 2010Research into burden among spouse and adult-child caregivers of patients with Alzheimer's disease has generated contradictory results as regards the group which suffers the greatest burden and the factors underlying any differences.
- Examining the use of oral rehydration salts and other oral rehydration therapy for childhood diarrhea in KenyaLauren S Blum
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:1126-33. 2011..Qualitative research involving group discussions with childcare providers and in-depth interviews with 45 caregivers of children < 5 years of age who had experienced diarrhea was conducted in one rural and urban site in Kenya ..
- Is there evidence that palliative care teams alter end-of-life experiences of patients and their caregivers?Irene J Higginson
Department of Palliative Care and Policy, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, Weston Education Center, London, United Kingdom
J Pain Symptom Manage 25:150-68. 2003..Only one study provided full economic cost-benefit evaluation. This is the first study to quantitatively demonstrate benefit from PCHCTs. Such comparisons were limited by the quality of the research...
- Assessment of food, nutrition, and physical activity practices in Oklahoma child-care centersSusan B Sisson
Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity Laboratory, Department of NutritionalSciences, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 1200 N Stonewall Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73117 1215, USA
J Acad Nutr Diet 112:1230-40. 2012..Practitioners can use these data to develop benchmarks and interventions, as this was the first study to assess statewide obesogenic practices in child care...
- The cost-effectiveness of a behavior intervention with caregivers of patients with Alzheimer's diseaseLinda O Nichols
Veterans Affairs Medical Center Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:413-20. 2008To examine the cost-effectiveness of a randomized, clinical trial of a home-based intervention for caregivers of people with dementia.
- Dialysis modality preference of patients with CKD and family caregivers: a discrete-choice studyRachael L Morton
Sydney School of Public Health, The University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 60:102-11. 2012Dialysis modality preferences of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and family caregivers are important, yet rarely quantified.
- Quality of life of caregivers with relatives suffering from mental illness in Hong Kong: roles of caregiver characteristics, caregiving burdens, and satisfaction with psychiatric servicesDaniel Fu Keung Wong
Applied Social Studies, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
Health Qual Life Outcomes 10:15. 2012The study attempted to explore the quality of life (QoL) of Chinese caregivers with mentally ill relatives...
- Caregivers' oral health literacy and their young children's oral health-related quality-of-lifeKimon Divaris
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, USA
Acta Odontol Scand 70:390-7. 2012To investigate the association of caregivers' oral health literacy (OHL) with their children's oral health related-quality of life (C-OHRQoL) and explore literacy as a modifier in the association between children's oral health status (..
- The effectiveness of patient-family carer (couple) intervention for the management of symptoms and other health-related problems in people affected by cancer: a systematic literature search and narrative reviewJane B Hopkinson
University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Pain Symptom Manage 43:111-42. 2012..Cancer is widely acknowledged to impact on the whole family. Yet, we do not know if there is benefit (or harm) from patient-family carer interventions in the context of cancer care...
- Screening for cognitive impairment, Alzheimer's disease and other dementias: opinions of European caregivers, payors, physicians and the general publicJ Bond
Institute of Health and Society and Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Nutr Health Aging 14:558-62. 2010The IMPACT survey queried physicians, caregivers, payors and members of the general public from 5 European countries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom) regarding their opinions towards screening for Alzheimer's disease ..
- Dementia case management effectiveness on health care costs and resource utilization: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsC Pimouguet
INSERM, U 897, and Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33 076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Nutr Health Aging 14:669-76. 2010..Many healthcare systems have developed case management programs in order to optimize dementia patients and caregivers care and services delivery...
- Measurement of informal care: an empirical study into the valid measurement of time spent on informal caregivingBernard van den Berg
Centre for Health Economics Research and Evaluation, Faculty of Business, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
Health Econ 15:447-60. 2006..Corrected for joint production, informal caregivers spent almost 5.8 h a day on providing informal care...
- The accuracy of surrogate decision makers: a systematic reviewDavid I Shalowitz
Department of Clinical Bioethics, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:493-7. 2006..However, commentators have questioned the accuracy with which surrogates predict patients' treatment preferences...
- A study comparing patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and their caregivers on measures of quality of life, depression, and their attitudes toward treatment optionsMarilyn Trail
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Suite 1801, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Neurol Sci 209:79-85. 2003To compare amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients and their caregivers on measures of quality of life (QOL), depression, and their attitudes toward treatment options.
- Low back pain in adult female caregivers of children with physical disabilitiesHenry C Tong
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:1128-33. 2003..Low back pain (LBP) in occupational settings has been studied extensively. There are fewer studies on LBP in domestic settings, especially in an informal caregiving setting...
- Mental disorder in Polish families: is diagnosis a predictor of caregiver's burden?Tomasz Hadryś
Department of Psychiatry, Wroclaw Medical University, ul Pasteura 10, 50 367, Wroclaw, Poland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 46:363-72. 2011..To test whether a caregiver's burden is associated with the patient's psychiatric diagnosis and to find other predictors of family burden; to provide Polish data on the issue to international literature...
- Review of the literature on the effects of caring for a patient with cancerUna Stenberg
Center for Shared Decision Making and Nursing Research, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Psychooncology 19:1013-25. 2010To adequately help family caregivers (FCs) of cancer patients, clinicians need to understand the complexity of the problems and responsibilities associated with cancer patients illness that FCs experience.
- Caregiver education in Parkinson's disease: formative evaluation of a standardized program in seven European countriesL E I A'Campo
Department of Neurology, Leiden University Medical Center LUMC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Qual Life Res 19:55-64. 2010The formative evaluation of a standardized psychosocial education program for patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) and their caregivers. The results of the participation of the caregivers are presented next to the data of the patients.
- Cognitive and behavioral challenges in caring for patients with frontotemporal dementia and amyotrophic lateral sclerosisJennifer Merrilees
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 11:298-302. 2010..The association between ALS and FTD creates unique challenges for family caregivers. This paper provides a guide for healthcare providers caring for patients with FTD-ALS exhibiting behavioral, ..
- Quality of life among caregivers of individuals with affective disordersXavier Zendjidjian
Aix Marseille University, EA 3279 Research Unit, and Department of Psychiatry, La Conception University Hospital, Marseille, France
J Affect Disord 136:660-5. 2012The aims of this study were as follows: 1. to assess the quality of life (QoL) of caregivers of individuals with affective disorders (major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder); 2...
- Neurobehavioral symptoms in ALS are negatively related to caregivers' burden and quality of lifeA Chio
ALS Center, Department of Neuroscience, University of Torino, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Torino, Italy
Eur J Neurol 17:1298-303. 2010To evaluate the frequency of neurobehavioral symptoms related to FTLD in a consecutive series of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients and to assess their influence on patients' and caregivers' mood, burden, and quality of life.
- Evaluation of a Medical and Mental Health Unit compared with standard care for older people whose emergency admission to an acute general hospital is complicated by concurrent 'confusion': a controlled clinical trial. Acronym: TEAM: Trial of an Elderly AcRowan H Harwood
Division of Rehabilitation and Ageing, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 1RD, UK
Trials 12:123. 2011..We hypothesise that patients managed on this ward will have better outcomes than those receiving standard care, and that such care will be cost-effective...
- 'We're just not getting it right'--how should we provide care to the older person with multi-morbid chronic conditions?Marina Lupari
University of Ulster, Coleraine, Ulster, UK
J Clin Nurs 20:1225-35. 2011..This was anticipated to highlight important issues for nursing practice, healthcare policy, service provision and health service research...
- Quality of life of caregivers in Parkinson's diseasePablo Martinez-Martin
National Center for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Public Health, Madrid, Spain
Qual Life Res 14:463-72. 2005To assess the impact of PD on informal caregivers of patients and identify the main factors related to caregiver strain.
- Predictors of quality of life in carers for people with a progressive neurological illness: a longitudinal studyElodie J O'Connor
School of Psychology, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Melbourne, Burwood, VIC 3125, Australia
Qual Life Res 20:703-11. 2011....
- Existential well-being and spirituality of individuals with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is related to psychological well-being of their caregiversFrancesco Pagnini
Department of Psychology, Catholic University of Milan, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 12:105-8. 2011..No conclusive data among the relation between patient's EWB, their spirituality and caregivers' QoL are available...
- Sexual behavior, fertility desires and unmet need for family planning among home-based care clients and caregivers in KenyaDonna McCarraher
Family Health International, Health Services Research, Durham, USA
AIDS Care 20:1057-65. 2008..for family planning and attitudes toward pregnancy in the context of HIV among CHBC participants (clients and caregivers), many of whom are HIV-positive or at risk for HIV, of the COPHIA project in Kenya...
- Information-seeking at a caregiving website: a qualitative analysisLeslie P Kernisan
Division of Geriatrics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Med Internet Res 12:e31. 2010The Internet is widely used for health information, yet little is known about the online activity of family caregivers of elders, a rapidly growing group...
- Caregiver burden in Alzheimer disease: cross-sectional and longitudinal patient correlatesSomaia Mohamed
New England Mental Illness, Research, Education and Clinical Center, West Haven, CT, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:917-27. 2010Alzheimer disease (AD) imposes a severe burden on patients and their caregivers. Although there is substantial evidence of the adverse impact of burden, considerably less is known about its specific correlates and potential causes.
- Interventions with family caregivers of cancer patients: meta-analysis of randomized trialsLaurel L Northouse
School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:317-39. 2010Family caregivers of cancer patients receive little preparation, information, or support to perform their caregiving role...
- The influence of the Gilgel-Gibe hydroelectric dam in Ethiopia on caregivers' knowledge, perceptions and health-seeking behaviour towards childhood malariaDelenasaw Yewhalaw
Department of Biology, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia
Malar J 9:47. 2010Malaria remains the most important public health problem in tropical and subtropical areas. Mothers' or caregivers' ability to recognize childhood malaria-related morbidity is crucial as knowledge, attitudes and health seeking behavior of ..
- Quality of life after stroke: the importance of a good recoveryFrancisco Javier Carod-Artal
Department of Neurology, Sarah Hospital, The Sarah Network of Rehabilitation Hospitals, Brasilia, Brazil
Cerebrovasc Dis 27:204-14. 2009..Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) is a recognized and important outcome after stroke. An increased survival and the presence of moderate impairment in long-term stroke survivors impact their HRQoL...
- The value of informal care--a further investigation of the feasibility of contingent valuation in informal caregiversClaudine de Meijer
Erasmus MC, Department of Health Policy and Management, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ 19:755-71. 2010..The study sample consisted of 1453 caregivers and 787 care recipients. Of the caregivers, 603 caregivers (41.5%) provided both WTP and WTA values, 983 (67...
- A biobehavioral home-based intervention and the well-being of patients with dementia and their caregivers: the COPE randomized trialLaura N Gitlin
Jefferson Center for Applied Research on Aging and Health, Thomas Jefferson University, 130 S Ninth St, Ste 513, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA
JAMA 304:983-91. 2010..Optimal treatment to postpone functional decline in patients with dementia is not established...
- Teaching Resourcefulness to Women Caregivers of Elders with DementiaJaclene A Zauszniewski; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Teaching Resourcefulness to Women Caregivers of Elders with Dementia The major goal of this R21exploratory research grant is to pilot test and refine an adapted intervention that teaches ..
- Preclinical Development of JS-K, a Novel NO-Generating Prodrug for CancerPaul J Shami; Fiscal Year: 2012..This new drug then goes one step further: it will improve the quality of life for cancer patients, their caregivers and families by providing a significantly more effective and less painful therapy than is currently available.
- Anti-Bacterial Innate Responses Enhance Paramyxovirus ReplicationGriffith D Parks; Fiscal Year: 2010..hearing and speech impairment that significantly impact the quality of life of both children and their parents/caregivers. Thus, there is a gap in our understanding of interactions between viral and bacterial infections as well as the ..
- Durable Visible Light-activated Antivral Coatings for Fabrics Used for Personal PJOSEF STEPHAN SCHNEIDER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Influenza enters the body through the nose or throat. As a precaution, to themselves and patients, caregivers wear personal protective equipment (PPE) such as a respirator masks to minimize contact transmission onto facial ..
- Identifying underlying mechanisms of intracellular changes in response to caregivMELANIE SARAH FLINT; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are approximately 65.7 million caregivers (29% of the population) currently in the United States...
- Development of Montelukast Delivery System for Childhood AsthmaJe Phil Ryoo; Fiscal Year: 2013..with comparable efficacy and improved tolerability profile, and as a more preferred choice by children and caregivers compared with the existing oral dosage forms, Galaxy Bio developed NAL6336 montelukast ODF that is intended for ..
- Daily Experience in Adolescence and Biomarkers of Early Risk for Adult HealthAndrew J Fuligni; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose a 3-wave longitudinal study of adolescents and their caregivers from Mexican, Chinese and European backgrounds in order to assess the impact of daily experience on biological ..
- Core Center for BioBehavioral Sciences of Communication DisordersMabel L Rice; Fiscal Year: 2013..PARC works collaboratively with the DEEC and ATT cores in developing the data management systems for integrative science. ..
- Generating Blood-based Diagnosis for Alzheimer DiseaseEugenia Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..diagnostics for AD victims, meeting an urgent need in health care, a huge gain for disease victims, their caregivers, and our society at large...
- Growth and Cardiometabolic Risk Among In Utero Drug Exposed ChildrenSARAH ELIZABETH MESSIAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..The MPCS has collected 11 prior waves of multi-domain data on over 400 infants and their mothers/alternate caregivers through early adolescence and is now embarking on 2 additional waves of data collection at ages 16 -18 years...
- Reducing Care-Resistant Behaviors During Oral Hygiene in Persons with DementiaRita A Jablonski; Fiscal Year: 2013..RELEVANCE: Nursing home residents with dementia may react with fear during mouth care, making it difficult for caregivers to brush teeth or remove dentures...
- Small Molecule Probes for TAR DNA Binding Protein 43_TDP-43Allen B Reitz; Fiscal Year: 2012..only are these diseases incurable, but their reach and devastation is much greater because of the impact upon caregivers and the health care system as ALS and FTLD both result in the need for constant around the clock care in their ..
- Using a Biomarker Panel for Detecting Adolescent DepressionJohn A Bilello; Fiscal Year: 2010..Clearly better less subjective tools are needed to increase the caregivers'ability to identify MDD and other mood disorders within populations...
- Biological Pathways of Acute and Chronic Stress in Aged Hip Fracture CaregiversLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The sample will include 225 older informal caregivers to elderly hip fracture patients recruited from 8 Baltimore area hospitals (108 new and continuing caregivers to ..
- Anti-Aging Mitochondrial Protein Therapy for Alzheimer?s Disease and SarcopeniaJAMES PEPPER BENNETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a degenerative disease, AD places a significant burden on caregivers and is therefore, one of the most economically costly diseases to society...
- DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEM TO GUIDE PEDIATRIC PHARMACOTHERAPYJEFFREY SCOTT BARRETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..The lack of prescribing information and meaningful dosing guidance places an incredible burden on our pediatric caregivers with the end-result often the sub-optimal use of many medicines in children ...
- CNS Mechanisms of Acute Hypoglycemia-Associate Autonomic FailureDIANNE FIGLEWICZ LATTEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Mapping Etiological Pathways to SV Perpetration from Childhood to Young AdulthoodMichele Ybarra; Fiscal Year: 2011..the national Harris Poll OnlineSM (HPOL) sample Participants: Eligible respondents for Wave 1 were defined as caregivers who were: a) HPOL Member;b) Caregiver of a 10 to 15 year old child who lives in the household at least 50% of ..
- Pioglitazone & Exercise Effects on Older Aldults with MCI and Metabolic SyndromeRobert S Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..AD), and other forms of dementia, are devastating disorders with impressive untoward effects on patients, caregivers, our healthcare system and society as a whole...
- Impact of Exercise on Body Composition in Premature Infants: New ApproachesDan M Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2013..The challenges are substantial and include: measuring body composition;assessing physical activity;engaging caregivers as partners in the intervention;identifying plausible and testable biological mechanisms;and designing ..
- Clinical center for the study of neuroprotection from PDJoseph Jankovic; Fiscal Year: 2013..To that end, coordinating the discussions among the PI and specialists, family and caregivers on how to get this done is very time sensitive and consuming...
- Effects of Non-Exercise Activity on Cognitive Function in the ElderlyTeresa J Buracchio; Fiscal Year: 2011..Cognitive impairment places significant financial and social burden on both caregivers and the VA health system...
- Effects of exercise and life stress on telomere maintenance and CVD riskEli Puterman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Finally, I will conduct a three-month randomized controlled aerobic training intervention in caregivers compared to an age-matched wait list control group with the aims of increasing leukocyte telomerase activity, ..
- PASSY-MUIR SWALLOWING SELF TRAINING DEVICE TO ENCHANCE RECOVERY POST STROKECHRISTY LESLIE LUDLOW; Fiscal Year: 2012..Speech pathologists will train patients and their caregivers to use the Passy Muir Swallowing Self Trainer before discharge from rehabilitation or acute care...
- Effects of exercise and life stress on telomere maintenance and CVD riskEli Puterman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, I will conduct a three-month randomized controlled aerobic training intervention in caregivers compared to an age-matched wait list control group with the aims of increasing leukocyte telomerase activity, ..
- Pregnancy complications, future cardiovascular disease risk factors and cardiovasNISHA INDRAVADAN PARIKH; Fiscal Year: 2013..We believe thata pregnancy risk score derived from these candidate pregnancy factors will help medical caregivers determine which specific factors in a woman's pregnancy history are most important as far as predicting ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BMonica M Bertagnolli; Fiscal Year: 2013..therapies;evaluating the impact of cancer and its treatment on the quality of life of cancer patients and their caregivers;developing new strategies for cancer prevention;and addressing the needs of special populations, particularly ..
- Quality of Life in Children with CleftHillary L Broder; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will enroll children (ages 8-17) with cleft palate only (CPO) and cleft lip and palate and their caregivers who are evaluated at five renown craniofacial centers (two in the southeast and three in the northeast) in a ..
- Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome (HAPO)Boyd E Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2010..multicultural, ethnically diverse cohort of women in the third trimester of gestation with medical caregivers "blinded" to status of glucose tolerance (except in those instances where fasting and/or two hour OGTT plasma ..
- Smart Home-based Health Platform for Behavioral Monitoring Diabetes and ObesityABDELSALAM ALI HELAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal focus on the management of obesity and diabetes will benefit a large and growing segment of the population, while providing a wider applicable foundation for other healthcare problems and practices. ..
- An interactive web-based intervention to achieve healthy weight in young childrenEllen Wald; Fiscal Year: 2013..in developing innovative information and communication technologies to support patients and their informal caregivers facing chronic and fatal disease for 35 years...
- Community-Academic Partnership: Building an Infrastructure to Improve Health forBeth A Marks; Fiscal Year: 2010..working with people with DD and the limitations related to the translation of knowledge and best practices for caregivers and health professionals often translates into negative attitudes and implementation barriers that compromise ..
- Predict Near Future Bed Exit for Effective Intervention to Avoid Nighttime FallsTHOMAS HENRY WHALEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..technology as a non-invasive method of reliably forecasting bed exit attempts among the elderly to allow caregivers lead time to intervene promptly and appropriately to prevent falls...
- Health decline in aged caregivers: epidemiologic studyLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Stress Process Model predicts that caregivers should have higher rates of health decline than non-caregivers because of their higher stress levels...
- In Silico Model for Acute Lung Injury Prediction and Clinical Trial DesignOgnjen Gajic; Fiscal Year: 2010..organ failure carries a grave prognosis with high mortality, and long term morbidity affecting both patients and caregivers. Carefully designed clinical trials have confirmed the relationships between mechanical ventilators and fluid ..
- Chronic and Acute Psychosocial Stress and Impaired Cell AgingElissa S Epel; Fiscal Year: 2013..stress is associated with cell aging (PBMC TL shortening and decreases in telomerase activity) in two samples of caregivers, and further, prospective increases in stress are associated with decreases in TL over just one year...
- PETS-D: Parent Education Through Simulation-DiabetesSusan Sullivan-Bolyai; Fiscal Year: 2013..single parent caregivers moderate the impact of the intervention on child health and parent management outcomes...
- HIV and Substance Use Prevention for South African Youth and FamiliesLeickness Simbayi; Fiscal Year: 2012..a multi-level, highly promising, HIV and alcohol/drug use prevention program (Project STYLE) for South African caregivers and their teens receiving outpatient mental health services...
- Coordinated Telehealth Care Program for Rural Elders with Congestive Heart FailurHongtu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Neither older adults with chronic disease, nor their informal family caregivers, typically have the knowledge or self-management skills necessary to manage these conditions...
- PPM-PREP: Peer-Mentored Preparedness for Adults with Developmental DisabilitiesDAVID PAUL EISENMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..in those with disability" and "interventions to assist caregivers of ill and disabled persons to prepare for...disaster situations...
- Investigational Safety and Toxicity Studies of Subcutaneous COG1410 for AlzheimerMICHAEL PETER VITEK; Fiscal Year: 2013..4 million American patients and their 13 million caregivers. Unlike stroke, heart disease and other diseases whose deaths have been decreasing in recent years, from 2000 to ..
- Pediatric Cancer, Family Conflict and Child AdjustmentLynn Fainsilber Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..and that family conflict is associated with higher psychological distress in young cancer patients and their caregivers. Yet, little is known about the nature and course of family conflict post-cancer diagnosis and through the ..
- Stress, Cellular Aging and Susceptibility to Infectious DiseaseSheldon A Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. the chronically unemployed, caregivers, and those suffering from poverty)...
- Novel Methods to Reduce Children's Secondhand Smoke ExposureTHEODORE LEE WAGENER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, only 29% of caregivers are interested in quitting smoking in the next three months, while 39% are not interested in quitting at all...
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP B CCOP RESEARCH BASEElectra D Paskett; Fiscal Year: 2013..therapies;evaluating the impact of cancer and its treatment on the quality of life of cancer patients and their caregivers;developing new strategies for cancer prevention;and addressing the needs of special populations, particularly ..
- Mothers and Others: Family-based Obesity Prevention for Infants and ToddlersMargaret E Bentley; Fiscal Year: 2013..we propose a randomized controlled trial among 468 Non-Hispanic black women, their families, and their child caregivers to test the efficacy of a multi-component, tailored intervention versus an attention control (child safety) in ..
- First Step: Home/School Intervention for Preschoolers with Disruptive BehaviorsHILL M WALKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..as possible in their lives and school careers through early, coordinated interventions involving parents and caregivers, teachers and peers. Preschool (e.g...
- Oral Health Intervention for Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled PersonsKNOWLTON WILLIAM JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..Many of the moderately to profoundly disabled are dependent on their caregivers to maintain oral health but there is evidence that caregiver psychosocial factors serve as barriers to optimal ..
- Cognitive and Psychosocial Benefit of Caregiver Training for Ugandan HIV ChildrenMICHAEL JOSEPH BOIVIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mediational intervention for sensitizing caregivers (MISC) has a structured curriculum and training program to teach HIV mothers/caregivers the skills for enhancing ..
- Telephone-based coping skills training for COPDJames A Blumenthal; Fiscal Year: 2012..Patients and their self-identified caregivers will undergo comprehensive assessments of physical and psychosocial functioning before and after a 16-week ..
- A Multimedia Depression Amelioration Program for Family Dementia CaregiversJohn R Seeley; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): Caring for an elderly family member with dementia is burdensome and stressful to the majority of caregivers, and contributes to psychiatric morbidity in the form of higher prevalence and incidence of depression...
- Caregiver Illness Perception and Childs Early Childhood Caries StatusMary Beth Slusar; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this research training fellowship are: (1) A matched case control study design will compare if parent/caregivers of young children (<6 years) who have severe early childhood caries (cases: S-ECC) versus those of parent/..
- Genetic Discovery and Application in a Clinical Setting Continuing a PartnershipEric B Larson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Methods to use these results in clinical care will be guided by focus groups of patients and caregivers in the patient-centered Group Health system.
- Mechanisms and Treatment of Network Dysfunction in Alzheimer's DiseaseKEITH ALAN VOSSEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..have AD, a relentless and fatal condition that devastates the mind and engenders feelings of hopelessness in caregivers. The urgency in finding a cure for AD has never been stronger...
- Training to Improve Late-Stage Dementia CareJOHN V HOBDAY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Further, late-stage ADRD care is strongly associated with psychosocial costs to caregivers, who must respond directly to residents in the cognitive declines characteristic of late-stage dementia (..
- Activity and Exercise Monitoring System (AEMS)MARK A FAUCI; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition to providing significant direct health benefits to the elderly users and their caregivers, this system will also provide researchers and clinicians with an potentially important clinical and research ..
- 3/3-Incomplete Response in Late-Life Depression: Getting to RemissionBenoit H Mulsant; Fiscal Year: 2013..coexisting medical disorders, amplifies disability and cognitive impairment, imposes greater burden on family caregivers, and increases the risk for early mortality, including suicide...
- Scaling up services for people with psychosis in Nigeria: a pilot studyOyewusi Gureje; Fiscal Year: 2012..activities whose ultimate goal is the development of a package of care for individuals with psychosis and their caregivers in one catchment area of Nigeria...
- Understanding Resilience in Adolescent Girls: Parent, Peer, and Emotion DynamicsAMANDA S MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Study Participants will be 80 adolescent female peer dyads (aged 12-15 years) and their primary caregivers (N = 160 total families)...
- Health-Related Quality of Life in Huntington?s Disease Research and Practice: DeNoelle E Carlozzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Focus groups consisting of individuals with or at-risk for HD ("consumers"), family members and caregivers, and HD professionals will be included to identify the important issues/themes related to quality of life in HD...
- 2012 Craniofacial Morphogenesis &Tissue Regeneration GRS &GRCRobert E Maxson; Fiscal Year: 2012..non-syndromic, have major consequences over the lifetimes of affected individuals, as well as family members and caregivers. Treatments must often be multi-pronged, involving surgery, dental care, and psychological counseling over many ..
- Clinically Meaningful Outcomes for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutic TrialsCraig M McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2013..and self-care, and cardiopulmonary failure, create tremendous psychological and emotional stress on patients, caregivers, and family;and considerable health, education, and community resources are required for management...
- Chemotherapy Near Death: Modifiable Factors and Outcomes in Ovarian CancerAlexi Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..are associated with worse patient quality of life (QoL) near death, higher costs, and more distress in bereaved caregivers. Recently, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) identified EOL chemotherapy first on its "Top Five ..
- Raising Literacy and Capacity for Incontinence and Skin Care in DementiaDonna Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study seeks to better understand the unmet needs of informal caregivers from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and healthcare providers caring for persons with AD in relation to ..
- A+ Asthma Rural PartnershipArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..grades 1-5; Aim 2: quality of life, asthma knowledge, self-efficacy, and asthma management practices of parents/caregivers; and Aim 3: asthma knowledge, self-efficacy, asthma management, and frequency of asthma communications of school ..
- Blue-White Light Therapy for Circadian Sleep Disorders in Alzheimer's DiseasePhilip Sloane; Fiscal Year: 2009..leading to significant negative effects on the daytime function of the affected person and on the well-being of caregivers. Sedating drugs, the conventional treatment for disturbed sleep, have limited effectiveness and pose increased ..
- Identifying Strategies to Increase Engagement in Clinical Trials in Pediatric SCDLamia P Barakat; Fiscal Year: 2010..1, to delineate factors associated with engagement in clinical trials for pediatric patients with SCD and their caregivers using questionnaires (n = 50) and follow-up interviews (n = 10-15) from 4 groups: (1) pediatric patients with ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Dementia Care Strategies in Underserved CommunitiesBARBARA G contact VICKREY; Fiscal Year: 2010..implications for human suffering and economic burdens among more than 5 million people in the US and their caregivers, these implications are magnified in low-income communities...
- HealthCare Manager: A Remote Medication and Personal Health Plan Support SystemDaniel K Davies; Fiscal Year: 2010..of seniors with disabilities will be more and more in the hands of the individuals themselves and their family caregivers receiving limited guidance from professional care organizations...
- Decision Making in Patients with Advanced Prostate CancerRandy Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Many patients with advanced prostate cancer and their caregivers struggle with treatment decisions, such as when to terminate cancer-directed treatment...
- Mothers as caregivers for survivors of brain tumorsJanet Deatrick; Fiscal Year: 2009..growth and development, and major organ function as well as to their mothers who are their most typical caregivers. Caregiving for survivors of childhood brain tumors often continues into adulthood, as they typically do not ..
- CHRONIC PSYCHOSOCIAL STRESS, METABOLIC SYNDROME, AND CHDPeter Vitaliano; Fiscal Year: 2001..We have observed that insulin independently distinguishes spouse caregivers and controls (caregivers greater controls) better than other physiological variables and that caregivers greater ..
- A Chronic Grief Intervention for Alzheimer's CargiversOlimpia Paun; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Research reveals that Alzheimer's disease (AD) family caregivers (CGs), particularly spouses, do not relinquish their role after placing their loved one in a nursing home...
- MBSR Intervention to reduce stress in AD caregiversLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Caregivers to persons with Alzheimer's Disease (AD) experience high levels of stress, depressive symptoms, and adverse ..
- Low Literacy Elder Caregiver Support for Call CentersAMELIA J BIRNEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..In order to improve care coordination, call center coaches need materials to help elder caregivers in their roles as adherence facilitators for both the patient and themselves...
- Mexican Americans: Family Caregivers ExperienceJo Nell Wells; Fiscal Year: 2004..descriptive study are to: 1) discover the underlying social-psychological processes and structures of MA female caregivers and the meaning of these when caring for a family member with cancer; 2) develop a culturally relevant ..
- Psychiatric Disorder in Dying Patients & Their SurvivorsSelby Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2005..known about the prevalence and treatment of psychiatric disorders among terminally ill cancer patients and their caregivers, nor about the ways in which mental health may affect the patient's comfort at death, and the impact this may ..
- Preparing Caregivers for the Death of their Loved OneRandy Hebert; Fiscal Year: 2007..an intervention that will improve the physical, psychological, and spiritual well-being of bereaved family caregivers. Despite often prolonged care giving, caregivers frequently do not feel prepared, or adequately forewarned, for ..
- Pilot of an Intervention for Caregivers of Hospice HF PatientsSusan C McMillan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hospice provides comprehensive palliative care for both patients and their family members, but family caregivers often have unmet needs, even when receiving hospice care...
- Hospital to Home: Cognitively Impaired Elders/CaregiversMary Naylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..A growing body of science suggests that these patients and their caregivers are particularly vulnerable to systems of care that either do not recognize or ignore their needs...
- MH RISK FACTORS IN CAREGIVING: ASSESSMENT & INTERVENTIONDolores Gallagher Thompson; Fiscal Year: 1991This project will study 150 female spouse caregivers. Ages 55-80 whose husbands are suffering from Alzheimer's disease or a related disorder. Following extensive psychological and physical evaluations at TL (incl...
- Effects of Ethnicity/Race on Family Caregiving to Those*JORDAN KOSBERG; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: The aim of our 2-year pilot research project is to increase knowledge on the experiences of family caregivers of dementia patients who live in rural communities...
- Interventions and Quality of Life in Cancer and AIDSDEBORAH SHERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..data regarding the changes/patterns in quality of life of patients with advanced cancer or AIDS and their family caregivers from the time of diagnosis with advanced disease, until death, and into the bereavement period for family ..
- A Technology-Enhanced Nursing Intervention for Hospice CaregiversGeorge Demiris; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Family members and friends who act as informal caregivers of hospice patients are essential to the provision of palliative care services;however, this role is not without adverse effects on the ..
- AD CAREGIVER WELL-BEING COUNSELING/INSTITUTIONALIZATIONMary Mittelman; Fiscal Year: 2006..A randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of a multifaceted counseling and support intervention for spouse caregivers of Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients began at the NYU Silberstein Aging and Dementia Research Center (NYU-..
- Caregiver Coping Skills training for Lung CancerFrancis Keefe; Fiscal Year: 2006..such as pain, fatigue, paroxysmal coughing, and dyspnea are major concerns of lung cancer patients and their caregivers. The focus in management of such symptoms traditionally has been on the patient...
- IMPROVING QUALITY OF LIFE DURING THE END OF LIFE PROCESSEllen Redinbaugh; Fiscal Year: 1999The proposed study will test the efficacy of a dual component psychoeducational intervention with family caregivers of terminally ill cancer patients...
- For Better and For Worse: Late Effects of Cancer and BMT on Spouse-CaregiversMichelle Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Spouse-caregivers are critical to the recovery and well-being of blood and marrow transplant (BMT) cancer survivors, yet few studies have examined the BMT spouse-caregiver experience, ..
- A CAREGIVER INTERVENTION TO IMPROVE HOSPICE OUTCOMESSusan McMillan; Fiscal Year: 2002Although hospice family caregivers receive support from the hospice team, research indicates that a greater level of support and education are needed to assist them with the enormous responsibility they bear for physical and emotional ..
- After-hours communication support for hospice family caregivers and patientsKaren Courtney; Fiscal Year: 2009..S. deaths occurred within a hospice program. While informal caregivers are essential to the delivery of hospice home services, they face many challenges and unmet needs in this role...
- Tailored Web-based Interventions for Cancer Patients and Their Family CaregiversLaurel L Northouse; Fiscal Year: 2010..exist, they are expensive to deliver and do not address communication problems of patients and their family caregivers. To address the needs of the growing number of cancer survivors, given a decreasing pool of health care ..