Summary: Classes of retroviruses for which monkeys or apes are hosts. Those isolated from the West African green monkey and the Asian rhesus macaque monkey are of particular interest because of their similarities to viruses causing cancer and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in humans.
Publications120 found, 100 shown here
- Cross-species transmissions of simian retroviruses in Africa and risk for human healthMartine Peeters
UMR 145, Institut de Recherche Pour le Dévelopement, 34392 Montpellier, France
Lancet 363:911-2. 2004
- Spleen necrosis virus, an avian immunosuppressive retrovirus, shares a receptor with the type D simian retrovirusesV N Kewalramani
Program in Molecular Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
J Virol 66:3026-31. 1992..spleen necrosis virus (SNV), is about 50% identical in amino acid sequence to the envelope of the type D simian retroviruses. Although SNV does not productively infect primate or murine cells, the receptor for SNV is present on a ..
- Detection of squirrel monkey retroviral sequences in interferon samplesM Pienkowska
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Hepatol 28:396-403. 1998..However, it remains to be determined whether the residual DNA sequences detected by our sensitive nested polymerase chain reaction assay have biological consequences...
- Characterizing the threat to the blood supply associated with nonoccupational exposure to emerging simian retrovirusesMichael Schillaci
Department of Social Sciences, University of Toronto Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 48:398-401. 2008
- Implications of simian retroviruses for captive primate population management and the occupational safety of primate handlersHayley Weston Murphy
Zoo New England, 1 Franklin Park Road, Boston, Massachusetts 02121, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 37:219-33. 2006..b>Simian retroviruses, including simian immunodeficiency virus, simian type D retrovirus, simian T-lymphotropic virus, and gibbon ..
- Molecular cloning and cell-specific growth characterization of polymorphic variants of type D serogroup 2 simian retrovirusesG H Marracci
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, 97201, USA
Virology 261:43-58. 1999b>Simian retroviruses (SRVs), the etiological agent of a spontaneous Simian acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, endemically infects large percentages of Asian macaques housed in biomedical research colonies and severely compromises the ..
- Detection of SRV/D shedding in body fluids of cynomolgus macaques and comparison of partial gp70 sequences in SRV/D-T isolatesMasayuki Hara
Tsukuba Primate Research Center, National Institute of Biomedical Innovation, 1 Hachimanndai, Tsukuba 305 0843, Japan
Virus Genes 35:281-8. 2007..Also, comparison of sequences of gp70 on multiple SRV/D-T isolates revealed that there was little intra- and inter-monkey variation, suggesting that SRV/D-T is fairly stable...
- Development of a whole-virus multiplex flow cytometric assay for antibody screening of a specific pathogen-free primate colonyLaRene Kuller
Washington National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Box 357331, Seattle, 98195, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 53:185-93. 2005..The multiplexed assay provided greater sensitivity, increased stability, and better performance than ELISA...
- Methadone induces CCR5 and promotes AIDS virus infectionShunji Suzuki
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
FEBS Lett 519:173-7. 2002..Similar methadone effect was not observed on CEM x174 cells infected with other simian retroviruses that do not depend on CCR5 for cellular entry...
- Simian retrovirus serogroup 5: partial gag-prt sequence and viral RNA distribution in an infected rhesus macaqueB Li
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Oregon Health Sciences University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Virus Genes 21:241-8. 2000....
- Isolation and characterization of a new simian retrovirus type D subtype from monkeys at the Tsukuba Primate Center, JapanMasayuki Hara
Tsukuba Primate Center for Medical Science, National Institute Infectious Diseases, 1 Hachimanndai, Tsukuba 305 0843, Japan
Microbes Infect 7:126-31. 2005Exogenous type D simian retroviruses (SRV/D) are prevalent in captive and feral populations of various macaque monkeys...
- Association of platelet-derived growth factor-B chain with simian human immunodeficiency virus encephalitisRaghava Potula
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, Marion Merrell Dow Laboratory of Viral Pathogenesis, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Am J Pathol 165:815-24. 2004..PDGF-B chain protein expression was observed in the virus-infected cells in microglial nodules in the brains of SHIV-encephalitic macaques...
- Naturally acquired simian retrovirus infections in central African huntersNathan D Wolfe
Department of Epidemiology Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 363:932-7. 2004..We investigated zoonotic infection in individuals living in central Africa...
- New simian beta retroviruses from rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) and langurs (Semnopithecus entellus) from Rajasthan, IndiaJayashree S Nandi
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, 2425 Ridgecrest Drive, SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
Virus Genes 33:107-16. 2006..We hypothesize that SRV-6 and SRV-7 probably originated from a progenitor exogenous SRV which recombined with an endogenous SERV in the TM env and pol genes during evolution, based on the phylogenetic analyses...
- Implications of the evolution pattern of human T-cell leukemia retroviruses on their pathogenic virulence (Review)Inbal Azran
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Cancer Research Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Int J Mol Med 14:909-15. 2004b>Simian retroviruses pose a serious threat to public health, as two human pathogenic retroviruses, HIV and HTLV, have been already proved to originate from such non-human viruses...
- Simian retroviruses: infection and disease--implications for immunotoxicology research in primatesNicholas W Lerche
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 8542, USA
J Immunotoxicol 7:93-101. 2010..evaluate the effect of drugs or biologics on the immune system, the immune modulatory effects of simian retroviruses, which may be subtle or profound, may introduce significant confounding into the studies of immunotoxic ..
- Isolation and characterization of simian T-cell leukemia virus type II from New World monkeysY M Chen
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Nan Kang, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Virol 68:1149-57. 1994..simian counterpart, simian T-cell leukemia virus type I (STLV-I), the possible existence of other related simian retroviruses has been raised...
- Characterization of blood-borne transmission of simian foamy virusJames I Brooks
National HIV and Retrovirology Laboratories, Center for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 47:162-70. 2007..The cross-species transmission of simian retroviruses is believed to be the etiology of human immunodeficiency virus and human T-lymphotropic virus infections in ..
- Coinfection of Ugandan red colobus (Procolobus [Piliocolobus] rufomitratus tephrosceles) with novel, divergent delta-, lenti-, and spumaretrovirusesTony L Goldberg
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Virol 83:11318-29. 2009Nonhuman primates host a plethora of potentially zoonotic microbes, with simian retroviruses receiving heightened attention due to their roles in the origins of human immunodeficiency viruses type 1 (HIV-1) and HIV-2...
- A sodium-dependent neutral-amino-acid transporter mediates infections of feline and baboon endogenous retroviruses and simian type D retrovirusesC S Tailor
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201 3098, USA
J Virol 73:4470-4. 1999The type D simian retroviruses cause immunosuppression in macaques and have been reported as a presumptive opportunistic infection in a patient with AIDS...
- Rev proteins of human and simian immunodeficiency virus enhance RNA encapsidationSabine Brandt
Department of Molecular and Medical Virology, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
PLoS Pathog 3:e54. 2007..In addition to specific interactions of nucleocapsid with the packaging signal at the 5' end of the genome, the Rev/RRE system provides a second mechanism contributing to preferential encapsidation of genomic lentiviral RNA...
- Frequent simian foamy virus infection in persons occupationally exposed to nonhuman primatesWilliam M Switzer
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 78:2780-9. 2004..that AIDS originated as a zoonosis heightens public health concerns associated with human infection by simian retroviruses endemic in nonhuman primates (NHPs)...
- Lentiviral vector design using alternative RNA export elementsTaekeun Oh
Department of Medicine, Kidney Disease Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Retrovirology 4:38. 2007..Recent studies have attempted to replace the existing complex rev/RRE system with a more simplistic RNA export system from simple retroviruses to make these vectors in a rev-independent manner...
- The mouse homolog of the Gibbon ape leukemia virus receptor: genetic mapping and a possible receptor function in rodentsM C Adamson
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Virology 183:778-81. 1991..We speculate that a functional receptor for GALV-related viruses was expressed during Mus evolution...
- Prevalence of antibodies to selected viruses in a long-term closed breeding colony of rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) in BrazilMarcia Ribeiro Andrade
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Centro de Criação de Animais de Loboratório, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Primatol 59:123-8. 2003..All samples were negative for antibodies against the simian retroviruses. The overall prevalence of antibodies was 95% for RhCMV, 45% for B virus, 35% for HAV, and 1% for MV...
- Sustained increases in cerebrospinal fluid quinolinic acid concentrations in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) naturally infected with simian retrovirus type-DM P Heyes
Section on Analytical Biochemistry, NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892
Brain Res 531:148-58. 1990..The neuropathologic significance of these increases in CSF QUIN remains to be determined...
- Base-pairings within the RNA pseudoknot associated with the simian retrovirus-1 gag-pro frameshift siteZ Du
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
J Mol Biol 270:464-70. 1997..The implications of this finding are discussed...
- The RD114/simian type D retrovirus receptor is a neutral amino acid transporterJ E Rasko
Division of Molecular Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:2129-34. 1999....
- Intracranial lymphomas in simian retrovirus-positive Macaca fascicularisY A Paramastri
Vet Pathol 39:399-402. 2002..2) had a pulmonary infection with Mycobacterium avium, suggesting that immunosuppression was present. These cases represent a unique and previously undescribed type of solitary lymphoma in SRV-infected macaques...
- Screening for simian type-D retrovirus infection in macaques, using nested polymerase chain reactionN W Lerche
Applied Virology and Special Pathogens Section, California Regional Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Lab Anim Sci 47:263-8. 1997..Nested PCR is a sensitive and specific assay for simultaneous screening for infection with serotypes 1, 2, and 3 of simian type D retrovirus, and is a powerful tool for rapid screening and surveillance in macaque colonies...
- DNA immunization of mice against SIVmac239 Gag and Env using Rev-independent expression plasmidsS Indraccolo
IST Biotechnology Section, Padua, Italy
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 14:83-90. 1998....
- Nucleocytoplasmic export of type D simian retrovirus genomic RNA: identification of important genetic subregions and interacting cellular proteinsB Li
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
Virology 264:37-54. 1999..These experiments indicate that secondary structural determinants of the 3' IR and multiple protein interactions may be important factors in the nuclear export of unspliced SRV RNA...
- Mutational analysis of the RNA pseudoknot involved in efficient ribosomal frameshifting in simian retrovirus-1D Sung
Kumho Life and Environmental Science Laboratory, Korea Kumho Petrochemical Co Ltd, 572 Ssangam dong, Kwangsan ku, Kwangju, Korea
Nucleic Acids Res 26:1369-72. 1998..Our mutational data suggest that SRV-1 pseudoknot adopts similar structural features common to other efficient frameshifting pseudoknots as observed in MMTV and FIV...
- Simian retrovirus vectors for gene transfer in nonhuman primate cellsB Li
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Oregon Health Sciences University West Campus, 505 NW 185th Avenue, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Virus Res 75:155-68. 2001..Successful infection by the recovered viruses verifies the potential efficacy of the SRV-based system as a research tool for gene transfer of heterologous genes into nonhuman primate cells...
- Natural infection by simian retrovirus-6 (SRV-6) in Hanuman langurs (Semnopithecus entellus) from two different geographical regions of IndiaJayashree S Nandi
Department of Retrovirology, National Institute of Virology, Pune 411001, India
Virology 311:192-201. 2003..The study suggests that natural infection by related strains of SRV-6 occurs in wild langurs from different parts of India...
- Simian retroviruses in African apesM Peeters
UMI 233, TransVIHMI, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Montpellier, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:514-20. 2012..Finally, non-invasive sampling also allows the study of the impact of retroviruses and other pathogens on the health and survival of endangered species such as chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos...
- Cross-species transmission of simian retroviruses: how and why they could lead to the emergence of new diseases in the human populationSabrina Locatelli
UMI 233, TransVIHMI, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement IRD and University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
AIDS 26:659-73. 2012..Therefore, it is important to evaluate which retroviruses the human population is exposed to and to better understand how these viruses enter, infect, adapt and spread to its new host...
- Early immunopathology events in simian retrovirus, type 2 infections prior to the onset of diseaseJane L Mitchell
Division of Retrovirology, National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, A Centre of the Health Protection Agency, Blanche Lane, South Mimms, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire EN6 3QG, UK
Virology 413:161-8. 2011..Gross immunopathological changes in lymphoid tissues were similar between SRV infection and those observed for other simian retroviruses SIV and STLV, suggesting a common immunopathological response to infection with these agents.
- Detection of EBV, HBV, HCV, HIV-1, HTLV-I and -II, and SMRV in human and other primate cell linesCord C Uphoff
Department of Human and Animal Cell Lines, German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures DSMZ, Inhoffenstrasse 7b, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:904767. 2010..Six cell lines were SMRV-infected. Newly established cell lines should be tested for EBV infections to detect B-lymphoblastoid cell lines (B-LCL). B-LCLs established with EBV from cell line B95-8 should be tested for SMRV infections...
- Acute megakaryocytic leukaemia (AMKL)-like disease in a cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis)S Okabayash
The Corporation for Production and Research of Laboratory Primates, Japan Tsukuba Primate Research Center, National Institute of Biomedical Innovation, Hachimandai 1 1, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki 305 0843, Japan
J Comp Pathol 140:212-6. 2009..This would appear to be the first report of AMKL-like disease in non-human primates. This monkey was infected with simian retrovirus type D and it is possible that this viral infection was associated with the development of neoplasia...
- [Alternative methods for the study of simian retroviral genetic diversity]Sebastien Calvignac
4, Rue Jayet, Lyon, France
Med Sci (Paris) 24:577-8. 2008
- Growth regulation of simian and human AIDS-related non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cell lines by TGF-beta1 and IL-6Kristin R Ruff
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Tulane Cancer Center, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
BMC Cancer 7:35. 2007....
- Prevalence of enzootic simian viruses among urban performance monkeys in IndonesiaMichael A Schillaci
Department of Social Sciences, University of Toronto at Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Trop Med Int Health 10:1305-14. 2005..No evidence of infection with simian immunodeficiency virus was detected in these macaques. These results suggest that urban performance monkeys are a reservoir for enzootic simian viruses known to be capable of infecting humans...
- Antiretroviral drug studies in nonhuman primates: a valid animal model for innovative drug efficacy and pathogenesis experimentsKoen K A Van Rompay
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
AIDS Rev 7:67-83. 2005..Accordingly, well-designed drug studies in nonhuman primates can continue to provide a solid scientific basis to advance our scientific knowledge and to guide future clinical trials...
- Increased viral replication in simian immunodeficiency virus/simian-HIV-infected macaques with self-administering model of chronic alcohol consumptionRakesh Kumar
Laboratory of Viral Immunology, Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, San Juan, PR
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:386-90. 2005..The extent of CD4 cell loss in the alcohol group was significantly higher than that in the control animals at week 1 after infection...
- Intestinal stromal tumors in a simian immunodeficiency virus-infected, simian retrovirus-2 negative rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta)H Bielefeldt-Ohmann
Washington National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Box 357331, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Vet Pathol 42:391-6. 2005..The animal was negative for simian retroviruses, SRV-1, -2, and -5...
- Evolutionary analysis identifies an MX2 haplotype associated with natural resistance to HIV-1 infectionManuela Sironi
Scientific Institute IRCCS E Medea, Bioinformatics, Bosisio Parini, Italy
Mol Biol Evol 31:2402-14. 2014The protein product of the myxovirus resistance 2 (MX2) gene restricts HIV-1 and simian retroviruses. We demonstrate that MX2 evolved adaptively in mammals with distinct sites representing selection targets in distinct branches; ..
- Isolation and characterization of the neutralizable epitope of simian retrovirus-1 (SRV-1) and of the cell receptor for the virusE Benjamini
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis
Adv Exp Med Biol 303:71-7. 1991..These results indicate that the neutralizing antibodies and the receptor recognize the same area on the viral envelope protein and that neutralization is the result of blocking the virus-receptor interaction by antibodies...
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of type D simian retrovirus proviral DNA from infected macaquesK Y Pilcher
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton 97006
J Virol Methods 50:75-86. 1994....
- Efficient expression of the human papillomavirus type 16 L1 protein in epithelial cells by using Rev and the Rev-responsive element of human immunodeficiency virus or the cis-acting transactivation element of simian retrovirus type 1W Tan
Microbiology and Tumorbiology Center, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Virol 69:5607-20. 1995..This regulated expression may allow virus production in terminally differentiated epithelial cells and is probably a conserved and important mechanism for HPV expression...
- Mesenchymoproliferative disorders (MPD) in simian AIDS associated with SRV-2 infectionC C Tsai
Department of Pathology, St Louis University School of Medicine, MO
J Med Primatol 19:189-202. 1990..Xenograft and allograft transplantation of cultured cells produced MPD lesions in the recipients. The data suggest that SRV-2 plays an important role in the etiopathogenesis of MPD in macaques...
- Pseudotyped REV/SRV retroviruses reveal restrictions to infection and host range within members of the same receptor interference groupH M Koo
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway 08854 5635
Virology 205:345-51. 1994The reticuloendotheliosis virus (REV) group of retroviruses and type D simian retroviruses (SRV) belong to the same receptor interference group. The cellular receptor for these viruses has not yet been identified...
- Maternal transmission of type D simian retrovirus (SRV-2) in pigtailed macaquesC C Tsai
Regional Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle
J Med Primatol 19:203-16. 1990..SRV-2 infection occurred principally in utero by the transplacental route. Infants born to viremic mothers exhibited low birth weight, prematurity, high perinatal death, and increased incidence of SAIDS...
- SIV, STLV-I and type D retrovirus antibodies in captive rhesus macaques and immunoblot reactivity to SIV p27 in human and rhesus monkey seraM D Lairmore
Retrovirus Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 6:1233-8. 1990..These results also illustrate a potential problem in the testing of human sera for antibodies against simian retroviruses and demonstrate the need for caution in the interpretation of immunoblot results.
- Antibodies to retroviruses of types C and D in female patients with benign and malignant mammary tumoursT F Malivanova
All Union Oncological Centre, U S S R Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Acta Virol 34:19-26. 1990..None serum reacted with mouse mammary tumour virus proteins. On the basis of these results we conclude that the expression of antibodies to structural retrovirus proteins is not specific for mammary cancer...
- Soluble CD4 blocks the infectivity of diverse strains of HIV and SIV for T cells and monocytes but not for brain and muscle cellsP R Clapham
Chester Beatty Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Nature 337:368-70. 1989..Soluble CD4 prevents HIV infection of T-lymphocytic and myelomonocytic cell lines, but neither sCD4 nor anti-CD4 antibodies inhibit infection of glioma and rhabdomyosarcoma cell lines...
- Use of polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of type D simian retrovirus infection in macaque bloodY Wang
Regional Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7238, USA
Lab Anim Sci 46:187-92. 1996..The PCR analysis of 39 whole blood samples correctly identified five SRV-1 and nine SRV-2 culture-positive samples. It also detected SRV-2 in two culture-negative blood samples from monkeys from which SRV had been previously isolated...
- Identification of the fusion peptide of primate immunodeficiency virusesM L Bosch
Laboratory of Tumor Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892
Science 244:694-7. 1989....
- Serological survey of a captive macaque colony in China for antibodies to simian type D retrovirusesZ Chen
Department of Immunology, Tianjin Medical College, Kunming, Yunnan, People s Republic of China
J Med Primatol 21:377-80. 1992..Of these monkeys, 104 were seropositive by ELISA; only 23 were confirmed by Western blot. The true positive reaction to SRV was found in 15 of 463 (3.2%) M. mulatta and eight of eleven (72.7%) M. assamensis...
- Development of simian retroviral vectors for gene deliveryBiao Li
Center for Human Molecular Genetics, Munroe Meyer Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Methods Mol Med 76:353-65. 2003
- Identification of an RNA sequence within an intracisternal-A particle element able to replace Rev-mediated posttranscriptional regulation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1C Tabernero
Human Retrovirus Pathogenesis Group, National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
J Virol 71:95-101. 1997..viral Rev protein and can be replaced with the posttranscriptional RNA control element (CTE) of the type D simian retroviruses. We have identified a sequence which shares only nucleotide sequences of the internal loops and secondary ..
- Characterization of T cell epitopes on the envelope glycoprotein of simian retrovirus 1 and 2 (SRV-1 and SRV-2) in several mouse strainsA Malley
Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton 97006
Mol Immunol 29:999-1004. 1992....
- New STLV-3 strains and a divergent SIVmus strain identified in non-human primate bushmeat in GabonFlorian Liegeois
UMI 233, Trans VIH MI, Recherches Translationnelles sur le VIH et les Maladies Infectieuses Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD, University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Retrovirology 9:28. 2012..Nevertheless, today, data on simian retroviruses at the primate/hunter interface remain scarce...
- Immunohistochemical localization of type D retrovirus serotype 1 in the digestive tract of rhesus monkeys with simian AIDSA A Lackner
California Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis
J Med Primatol 19:339-49. 1990..This revealed that both epithelial and lymphoid cells of the digestive tract are commonly infected by this immunosuppressive type D retrovirus...
- Differential distribution of antibodies to different viruses in young animals in the free-ranging rhesus macaques of Cayo SantiagoC A Sariol
Caribbean Primate Research Center, Unit of Comparative Medicine, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, PR, USA
J Med Primatol 35:369-75. 2006..The seroprevalence to cercopithecine herpesvirus type 1 (B virus) and simian retroviruses has been studied previously.
- A STLV-III related human retrovirus, HTLV-IV: analysis of cross-reactivity with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)F Barin
Laboratoire de Virologie, CHRU Bretonneau, Tours, France
J Virol Methods 17:55-61. 1987..identified which is related to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) but is more closely related to a group of simian retroviruses (STLV-III). These viruses named HTLV-IV, LAV-II, or SBL-6669, are prevalent in West-Africa...
- Intracellular turnover, novel secretion, and mitogenically active intracellular forms of v-sis gene product in simian sarcoma virus-transformed cells. Implications for intracellular loop autocrine transformationV B Lokeshwar
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, St Louis University School of Medicine, Missouri 63104
J Biol Chem 265:1665-75. 1990....
- Subunit vaccine protects Macaca nemestrina (pig-tailed macaque) against simian T-cell lymphotropic virus type I challengeC S Dezzutti
Center for Retrovirus Research, Columbus, Ohio 43210
Cancer Res 50:5687S-5691S. 1990..The data presented here demonstrate that the vaccine was successful in protecting Macaca nemestrina from simian T-cell lymphotropic virus type I infection...
- Prevalence of natural infection with simian immunodeficiency virus and simian T-cell leukemia virus type I in a breeding colony of sooty mangabey monkeysP N Fultz
Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30322
AIDS 4:619-25. 1990....
- SIV infection of macaques: a model for AIDS vaccine developmentM B Gardner
Department of Medical Pathology, University of California, Davis 95616
Dev Biol Stand 72:259-66. 1990..We believe that these inactivated whole virus and modified live virus approaches are worth pursuing further and they may guide us towards an eventual effective vaccine for AIDS...
- [Bacterial and viral epidemics of zoonotic origin; the role of hunting and cutting up wild animals]C Chastel
Laboratoire de Virologie, Faculte de Medecine, 22 Av Camille Desmoulins, F 29 285 Brest, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:207-12. 2004..SARS is another possible example of the zoonotic risks represented by the sale, handling and cutting up Chinese wild animals such as Himalayan civets for culinary purposes...
- Survey of captive cynomolgus macaque colonies for SRV/D infection using polymerase chain reaction assaysMasayuki Hara
Tsukuba Primate Center for Medical Science National Institute Infectious Diseases NIID, 1 Hachimandai, Tsukuba, 305 0843 Japan
Comp Med 55:145-9. 2005..On the other hand, SRV/D-T was detected in 11 of 49 animals (22.5%) in the conventional colony. SRV/D-T was the only SRV/D subtype detected. Consequently, SRV/D-T is the major SRV/D subtype present in cynomolgus monkeys at TPC...
- Construction and properties of retrovirus packaging cells based on gibbon ape leukemia virusA D Miller
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
J Virol 65:2220-4. 1991..These simian virus-based packaging cells extend the host range of currently available murine and avian packaging cells and should be useful for efficient gene transfer into higher mammals...
- Fusion properties of cells infected with human parainfluenza virus type 3: receptor requirements for viral spread and virus-mediated membrane fusionA Moscona
Department of Pediatrics and Cell Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574
J Virol 66:6280-7. 1992..We compare the outcome of HPF3 infection in the presence of excess neuraminidase with that of another paramyxovirus (simian virus 5) and provide evidence that these two viruses differ in their receptor requirements for mediating fusion...
- Design, biologic evaluation, and SAR of novel pseudo-peptide incorporating benzheterocycles as HIV-1 protease inhibitorsMeizi He
State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100083, China
Chem Biol Drug Des 76:174-80. 2010..8 microM) with low toxicity (TC(50) > 100 microM). The flexible docking of inhibitor 23 to HIV-1 protease active site rationalized the interactions with protease...
- High prevalence, coinfection rate, and genetic diversity of retroviruses in wild red colobus monkeys (Piliocolobus badius badius) in Tai National Park, Cote d'IvoireSiv Aina J Leendertz
Research Group Emerging Zoonoses, Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, Berlin, Germany
J Virol 84:7427-36. 2010b>Simian retroviruses are precursors of all human retroviral pathogens...
- Antibodies to gag gene coded polypeptides of type D retroviruses in healthy people from Guinea-BissauV A Morozov
UPR 0043 CNRS, , , France
Intervirology 32:253-7. 1991..In eight (25%) sera antibodies at least against p36 were detected. Among squirrel monkey retrovirus positive sera, three were also positive with p27 M-PMV. The other five were found to be M-PMV negative...
- The induction of neutralizing antibodies by synthetic peptides of the envelope protein of type D simian retrovirus-1 (SRV-1)J V Torres
University of California, School of Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Davis 95616
Mol Immunol 28:907-13. 1991It has been recently demonstrated that two serotypes of type D simian retroviruses, namely SRV-1 and SRV-2, exhibit extensive immunological cross-reactivity but do not exhibit cross-reactivity at the level of neutralizing antibodies...
- Characterization of rhesus macaque B-lymphoblastoid cell lines infected with simian type D retrovirusR W van Kuyk
Department of Medical Pathology, University of California, Davis 95616
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 7:899-909. 1991..Investigations on the interactions of SRV-1 with B cells will be useful for elucidating mechanisms involved in the immunopathogenesis of primate retroviruses...
- Effects of maternal and infant characteristics on birth weight and gestation length in a colony of rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta)Kelly J Hopper
Research Resources, The Mannheimer Foundation, Homestead, Florida, USA
Comp Med 58:597-603. 2008..Similar to the situation for humans, multiparity had a protective effect on infant viability in rhesus macaques...
- Immunobiological properties of a recombinant simian retrovirus-1 envelope protein and a neutralizing monoclonal antibody directed against itL L Werner
University of California, School of Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Davis
Mol Immunol 28:819-26. 1991..Taken together, the above findings indicate that immunity conferred at the level of neutralizing antibodies during SRV infection is strain-specific and involves the recognition of envelope sequences unique to each strain...
- Opportunistic infections in immunologically compromised nonhuman primatesLynn M Wachtman
Harvard Medical School, Southborough, MA 01772 9012, USA
ILAR J 49:191-208. 2008..We discuss risk reduction through the use of quarantine procedures, specific pathogen-free animals, and environmental controls...
- Neutralization epitope in the envelope glycoprotein of simian retrovirus-1 (SRV-1) and identification of the virus receptorJ V Torres
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616
J Med Primatol 20:218-21. 1991..The virus receptor was immunoprecipitated from Raji cells using gp70 as the ligand. Antibodies to peptide 142-167 inhibit the immunoprecipitation, indicating that the receptor recognizes residues 142-167 of the viral envelope protein...
- Activation in vivo of retroperitoneal fibromatosis-associated herpesvirus, a simian homologue of human herpesvirus-8M L Bosch
Regional Primate Research Center and Department of Pathobiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
J Gen Virol 80:467-75. 1999..Together, these data suggest a common biology between RFHVMm infection of macaques and HHV-8 infection and pathogenesis in humans...
- Evidence for a lentiviral etiology in an epizootic of immune deficiency and lymphoma in stump-tailed macaques (Macaca arctoides)L J Lowenstine
Department of Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616
J Med Primatol 21:1-14. 1992..The isolate was antigenically related to other SIVs as well as to HIV-1 and HIV-2. Two surviving stump-tailed macaques sent to another colony carried SIVstm latently for at least 7 years and disseminated it throughout that colony...
- Antibodies to type D retrovirus in talapoin monkeysP Ilyinskii
New England Regional Primate Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Southborough, Massachusetts 01772
J Gen Virol 72:453-6. 1991..Talapoins are the only African non-human primates that have so far shown evidence for type D retrovirus infection. Thus, talapoin monkeys appear to be a reservoir of type D retrovirus infection...
- Human SSAV-related endogenous retroviral element: LTR-like sequence and chromosomal localization to 18q21R Brack-Werner
Abt für Molekulare Zellpathologie, Gesellschaft für Strahlen und Umweltforschung, Neuherberg, Federal Republic of Germany
Genomics 4:68-75. 1989..By means of Southern blotting and in situ hybridization, the sequence was mapped to chromosome 18 band q21...
- Simian retroviral infections in human beingsCristian Apetrei
Lancet 364:137-8; author reply 139-40. 2004
- Structure, stability and function of RNA pseudoknots involved in stimulating ribosomal frameshiftingD P Giedroc
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Center for Macromolecular Design, Texas A and M University, TX 77843 2128, USA
J Mol Biol 298:167-85. 2000..These studies are summarized here and provide new insights into the structural requirements and mechanism of programmed -1 ribosomal frameshifting...
- Histologic lesions in cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis) naturally infected with simian retrovirus type D: comparison of seropositive, virus-positive, and uninfected animalsR E Guzman
Drug Safety Evaluation, Pfizer Central Research, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Toxicol Pathol 27:672-7. 1999....
- Inhibitors of retrovirus infection are secreted by several hamster cell lines and are also present in hamster seraD G Miller
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104 2092
J Virol 67:5346-52. 1993..Inhibitory factors are also present in the sera of Chinese and Syrian hamsters but were not detected in bovine serum. These results suggest the presence of specific factors that function to inhibit retrovirus infection in hamsters...
- Detection of serum antibodies in Ethiopian baboons that cross-react with SIV, HTLV-I, and type D retroviral antigensR E Benveniste
Laboratory of Viral Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, MD 21702 1201
J Med Primatol 22:124-8. 1993..In addition, 20% of these baboons had antibodies that cross-reacted with HTLV-I viral antigens. These data suggest that wild-caught baboons are infected with retroviruses only partially related to known primate viral isolates...
- Long-term protection of macaques against high-dose type D retrovirus challenge after immunization with recombinant vaccinia virus expressing envelope glycoproteinsR E Benveniste
Laboratory of Viral Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, MD
J Med Primatol 22:74-9. 1993....
- Localized retroperitoneal fibromatosis causing intestinal obstruction in a cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis)J D Fikes
Department of Comparative Medicine, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1040, USA
Vet Pathol 32:713-6. 1995..This case represents an unusual presentation of localized retroperitoneal fibromatosis in which the lesion produced intestinal obstruction and death...
- The rotavirus vaccineP A Offit
Section of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, USA
J Clin Virol 11:155-9. 1998..Rotavirus gastroenteritis is an important cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide...
- Amplification of simian retroviral sequences from human recipients of baboon liver transplantsJ S Allan
Department of Virology and Immunology, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78228, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 14:821-4. 1998..disease who died 70 and 27 days after the transplantation of baboon livers revealed the presence of two simian retroviruses of baboon origin, simian foamy virus (SFV) and baboon endogenous virus (BaEV), in multiple tissue ..
- One-step fluorescent probe product-enhanced reverse transcriptase assayB A Arnold
Department of Virus and Cell Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486 0004, USA
Biotechniques 25:98-106. 1998..This newly enhanced fluorescent PERT assay can play an important role in the high-throughput detection of retroviral infection and characterization of RT activity...
- Identification of a human population infected with simian foamy virusesW Heneine
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Nat Med 4:403-7. 1998Studying the transmission of simian retroviruses to humans can help define the importance of these infections to public health. We identified a substantial prevalence (4/231, 1...
- A characteristic bent conformation of RNA pseudoknots promotes -1 frameshifting during translation of retroviral RNAX Chen
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
J Mol Biol 260:479-83. 1996..The requirement for a precise pseudoknot conformation for efficient frameshifting strongly implies that a specific interaction occurs between the viral RNA pseudoknot and the host protein-synthesizing machinery...
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in primates infected with a simian immunodeficiency virusC E Alpers
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 13:413-24. 1997..They also indicate the variable pathology that can be seen in primate infections of distinct retrovirus types, each of which produces a simian immunodeficiency state that resembles human AIDS...
- Identification and purification of cellular proteins that specifically interact with the RNA constitutive transport elements from retrovirus DH Tang
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0665, USA
Virology 228:333-9. 1997..Both proteins have been partially purified. The nature of these proteins and their roles in RNA intracellular trafficking are currently under investigation...
- Biological and Human Dimensions of Primate Retroviral TransmissionTony L Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will test our model in a highly relevant non-human primate system. In 2009, we documented three simian retroviruses co-circulating in a metapopulation of wild red colobus monkeys (Procolobus rufomitratus) in Kibale National ..
- Evolution and Emergence of Simian Retroviruses in South AsiaMaxine L Linial; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our proposed research will investigate the epizootiology, ecology and evolution of two simian retroviruses, simian foamy virus (SFV) and simian type D retrovirus (SRV) in macaques and langurs...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A SPF PIGTAIL MACAQUE BREEDING COLONYROBERT DRUILHET; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Simian retroviruses and other immune suppressive viral agents occur naturally in these macaques, and their presence makes the ..
- SPECIFIC PATHOGEN FREE MACAQUE BREEDING PROGRAMM Izard; Fiscal Year: 1999..research, requiring that the government establish and maintain macaque breeding colonies free of the known simian retroviruses and Herpes B virus...
- SIMIAN RETROVIRUSES--NOVEL GENE DELIVERY VECTORSCURTIS MACHIDA; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- PATHOGEN FREE RHESUS MONKEY BREEDING AND RESEARCHPrabhat Sehgal; Fiscal Year: 1999The simian retroviruses simian T-lymphotropic virus I, simian immunodeficiency virus, and type D retrovirus are important animal models for the study of human immunodeficiency and also pose a threat to the health of captive domestic ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HIV IN CD4 CELLSJames Hoxie; Fiscal Year: 1993The human immunodeficiency viruses are among an enlarging family of human and simian retroviruses that exhibit extraordinary molecular and biological diversity...
- NONHUMAN PRIMATE MODELS FOR AIDS SYMPOSIUMWilliam Morton; Fiscal Year: 1991..for presentation and discussion: (1) Virology and molecular biology of SIV, HIV, other lentiviruses and simian retroviruses. (2)Immunology of SIV and other lentivirus/retrovirus infections...
- NONHUMAN PRIMATE AIDS SYMPOSIUMPETER GERONE; Fiscal Year: 1990..topics for presentation and discussion: Virology and molecular biology of SIV,HIV, other lentiviruses and simian retroviruses. Immunology of SIV and other lentivirus/retrovirus infections...
- 10TH ANNL SYMPOSIUM ON NONHUMAN PRIMATE MODELS FOR AIDMatthew Kessler; Fiscal Year: 1992..The scientific sessions will cover the following topics on HIV, SIV and other simian retroviruses and lentiviruses: (1) virology and molecular biology, (2) pathogenesis, (3) immunology, (4) prophylaxis and ..
- Topical virucides to prevent oral transmissionKoen van Rompay; Fiscal Year: 2004..If topical tenofovir administration were effective, then this simple strategy would be highly affordable for developing countries. ..
- ENHANCING MUCOSAL IMMUNE RESPONSES BY MICROENCAPSULATIONPaul Offit; Fiscal Year: 2005..The availability of microencapsulated virus provides a unique opportunity to understand the relationship between APC and protective mucosal immune responses. ..
- Inhibition of HIV by Novel Chimeric ReceptorsJonathan Allan; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this strategy will have broad applications in immunotherapy and immune reconstitution against HIV-1. ..
- Determinants of Natural Host Resistance to SIV agmJonathan Allan; Fiscal Year: 2005..In summary, this proposal seeks to understand the role of coreceptor expression, viral replication and cellular immunity in the pathogenesis of SIV. ..