Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of RETROVIRIDAE comprising endogenous sequences in mammals, related RETICULOENDOTHELIOSIS VIRUSES, AVIAN, and a reptilian virus. Many species contain oncogenes and cause leukemias and sarcomas.
Publications173 found, 100 shown here
- Hot spots of retroviral integration in human CD34+ hematopoietic cellsClaudia Cattoglio
Italian Institute of Technology, Unit of Molecular Neuroscience, Istituto Scientifico H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Blood 110:1770-8. 2007..The lower propensity of LV vectors for integrating in potentially dangerous regions of the human genome may be a factor determining a better safety profile for gene therapy applications...
- Unique integration profiles in a canine model of long-term repopulating cells transduced with gammaretrovirus, lentivirus, or foamy virusBrian C Beard
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Hum Gene Ther 18:423-34. 2007..location of 555 integration sites of the three most commonly used integrating retroviral vectors, that is, gammaretrovirus, lentivirus, and foamy virus, in long-term repopulating cells from dogs...
- Vector integration is nonrandom and clustered and influences the fate of lymphopoiesis in SCID-X1 gene therapyAnnette Deichmann
Institute for Molecular Medicine and Cell Research and Department of Internal Medicine I, German Cancer Research Center, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Invest 117:2225-32. 2007..Beyond the observed cases of insertional mutagenesis in 3 patients, these data help to elucidate the relationship between vector insertion and long-term in vivo selection of transduced cells in human patients with SCID-X1...
- The C domain in the surface envelope glycoprotein of subgroup C feline leukemia virus is a second receptor-binding domainMichelle A Rey
Program in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Virology 370:273-84. 2008The receptor-binding domain (RBD) in the surface (SU) subunit of gammaretrovirus envelope glycoprotein is critical for determining the host receptor specificity of the virus...
- The GLN family of murine endogenous retroviruses contains an element competent for infectious viral particle formationDavid Ribet
Unité des rétrovirus endogènes et éléments rétroïdes des eucaryotes supérieurs, CNRS UMR 8122, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, F 94805 France
J Virol 82:4413-9. 2008..This family is in addition to the two MLV and mouse mammary tumor virus families of active mouse ERVs with an extracellular life cycle...
- Apobec 3G efficiently reduces infectivity of the human exogenous gammaretrovirus XMRVKristin Stieler
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Virology and Hygiene, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e11738. 2010The human exogenous gammaretrovirus XMRV is thought to be implicated in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome...
- Murine endogenous retrovirusesC Stocking
Heinrich Pette Institute, Hamburg, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3383-98. 2008..We review mechanisms by which an adaptive coexistence has evolved. (Part of a multi-author review)...
- Biology and evolution of the endogenous koala retrovirusR Tarlinton
School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Sutton Bonington, United Kingdom
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3413-21. 2008..Part of a multi-author review)...
- Inhibition of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus by APOBEC3 proteins and antiviral drugsTobias Paprotka
Viral Mutation Section, National Cancer Institute Frederick, P O Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
J Virol 84:5719-29. 2010Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), a gammaretrovirus, has been isolated from human prostate cancer tissue and from activated CD4(+) T cells and B cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, suggesting an ..
- Insertional oncogenesis in 4 patients after retrovirus-mediated gene therapy of SCID-X1Salima Hacein-Bey-Abina
Department of Biotherapy, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 118:3132-42. 2008..Successful chemotherapy was associated with restoration of polyclonal transduced T cell populations. As a result, the treated patients continued to benefit from therapeutic gene transfer...
- Identification of gammaretroviruses constitutively released from cell lines used for human immunodeficiency virus researchYasuhiro Takeuchi
Wohl Virion Centre, Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, London W1T 4JF, United Kingdom
J Virol 82:12585-8. 2008..and receptor usage studies, these contaminants were shown to be replication competent and to belong to the Gammaretrovirus genus...
- Murine gammaretrovirus group G3 was not found in Swedish patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgiaAmal Elfaitouri
Section of Clinical Virology, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e24602. 2011....
- Self-inactivating gammaretroviral vectors for gene therapy of X-linked severe combined immunodeficiencySusannah I Thornhill
Centre for Immunodeficiency, Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Mol Ther 16:590-8. 2008....
- Identification of a novel Gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNASEL variantAnatoly Urisman
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 2:e25. 2006..These findings also raise questions about the possible relationship between exogenous infection and cancer development in genetically susceptible individuals...
- XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumorsRobert Schlaberg
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16351-6. 2009..murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) was recently discovered in human prostate cancers and is the first gammaretrovirus known to infect humans...
- Fibrils of prostatic acid phosphatase fragments boost infections with XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus), a human retrovirus associated with prostate cancerSeunghee Hong
Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Virol 83:6995-7003. 2009....
- Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndromeVincent C Lombardi
Whittemore Peterson Institute, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Science 326:585-9. 2009..Studying peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from CFS patients, we identified DNA from a human gammaretrovirus, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), in 68 of 101 patients (67%) as compared to 8 of 218 (..
- Prevalence of human gammaretrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancerNicole Fischer
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Virology, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Virol 43:277-83. 2008We previously identified a novel exogenous gammaretrovirus (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related gammaretrovirus (XMRV)) using a pan-viral microarray. XMRV is the first MLV-related virus found in human infection...
- Failure to detect Xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus in Chinese patients with chronic fatigue syndromePing Hong
Graduate School, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Virol J 7:224. 2010..The assay was standardized by constructing plasmid DNAs and armored RNAs as XMRV standards and competitive internal controls (CICs), respectively...
- Absence of evidence of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus infection in persons with chronic fatigue syndrome and healthy controls in the United StatesWilliam M Switzer
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Retrovirology 7:57. 2010..Blinded PCR and serologic testing were performed at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and at two additional laboratories...
- Improved retroviral vectors for hematopoietic stem cell protection and in vivo selectionC Baum
Abteilung Zell und Virusgenetik, , Germany
J Hematother 5:323-9. 1996....
- Silencing and variegation of gammaretrovirus and lentivirus vectorsJames Ellis
Developmental Biology Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L7
Hum Gene Ther 16:1241-6. 2005..In the case of gammaretrovirus vectors based on murine leukemia virus, many integration events are completely silenced in undifferentiated ..
- Spontaneous heteromerization of gammaretrovirus envelope proteins: a possible novel mechanism of retrovirus restrictionMarie Dewannieux
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, Windeyer Building, 46 Cleveland St, London W1T 4JF, United Kingdom
J Virol 82:9789-94. 2008..Here we show that pairs of gammaretrovirus envelope proteins (from Friend virus and GALV or xenotropic viruses) assemble into heteromers when ..
- Characterization of antibodies elicited by XMRV infection and development of immunoassays useful for epidemiologic studiesXiaoxing Qiu
Infectious Diseases R and D, Abbott Diagnostics, 100 Abbott Park Rd, Abbott Park, IL 60064, USA
Retrovirology 7:68. 2010Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related Virus (XMRV) is a human gammaretrovirus recently identified in prostate cancer tissue and in lymphocytes of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome...
- Integration site preference of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, a new human retrovirus associated with prostate cancerSanggu Kim
Biomedical Engineering Interdepartmental Program, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Virol 82:9964-77. 2008Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a new human gammaretrovirus identified in prostate cancer tissue from patients homozygous for a reduced-activity variant of the antiviral enzyme RNase L...
- Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus establishes an efficient spreading infection and exhibits enhanced transcriptional activity in prostate carcinoma cellsJason J Rodriguez
Columbia University, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHSC 1310c, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Virol 84:2556-62. 2010Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a novel human gammaretrovirus discovered in association with human prostate tumors...
- Discovery of a novel murine type C retrovirus by data miningL Bromham
Department of Zoology, University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
J Virol 75:3053-7. 2001..This virus is present in multiple copies in the mouse genome and expressed in a range of mouse tissues...
- Retroviral integration and human gene therapyFrederic D Bushman
Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6076, USA
J Clin Invest 117:2083-6. 2007....
- Common inbred strains of the laboratory mouse that are susceptible to infection by mouse xenotropic gammaretroviruses and the human-derived retrovirus XMRVSurendranath Baliji
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Virol 84:12841-9. 2010..This resistance to exogenous infection is due to a nonpermissive variant of the XPR1 gammaretrovirus receptor, a resistance that also limits in vivo expression of germ line X-MLV proviruses capable of producing ..
- Gammaretrovirus-mediated correction of SCID-X1 is associated with skewed vector integration site distribution in vivoKerstin Schwarzwaelder
National Center for Tumor Diseases, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Invest 117:2241-9. 2007We treated 10 children with X-linked SCID (SCID-X1) using gammaretrovirus-mediated gene transfer...
- Molecular and phylogenetic analyses of a new amphotropic murine leukemia virus (MuLV-1313)Thomas M Howard
Laboratory of Viral Oncology and Proteomics Research, Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90032 3626, USA
Virol J 3:101. 2006....
- No evidence for XMRV association in pediatric idiopathic diseases in FranceEric Jeziorski
Institut de Génétique Moléculaire de Montpellier UMR 5535 CNRS, 1919 Route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Retrovirology 7:63. 2010..None of the samples tested was positive for XMRV or MLV-like env sequences, indicating that XMRV is not involved in these pathologies...
- Origin, antiviral function and evidence for positive selection of the gammaretrovirus restriction gene Fv1 in the genus MusYuhe Yan
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892 0460, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:3259-63. 2009..This analysis suggests that Fv1 has had an antiviral role throughout Mus evolution predating exposure of mice to the MLVs restricted by laboratory mouse Fv1, and suggests a mechanism for Fv1 restriction...
- The human retrovirus XMRV in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndromeRobert H Silverman
Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Nat Rev Urol 7:392-402. 2010..Emerging science surrounding XMRV is contributing to our knowledge of retroviral infections while focusing intense interest on two major human diseases...
- Integration bias of gammaretrovirus vectors following transduction and growth of primary mouse hematopoietic progenitor cells with and without selectionMari Aker
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Washington, Box 357720, Seattle, 98195, USA
Mol Ther 14:226-35. 2006..We report here on the integration pattern of a gammaretrovirus reporter vector following transduction and ex vivo culture of primary mouse bone marrow progenitor cells in ..
- Partial correction of murine beta-thalassemia with a gammaretrovirus vector for human gamma-globinTamon Nishino
University of Washington, Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, HSB K236F, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7720, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 37:1-7. 2006..Similarly promising results have not yet been obtained with recombinant gammaretrovirus vectors...
- Evolution of functional and sequence variants of the mammalian XPR1 receptor for mouse xenotropic gammaretroviruses and the human-derived retrovirus XMRVYuhe Yan
NIH, NIAID, LMM, Bldg 4, Room 329, 4 Center Drive MSC 0460, Bethesda, MD 20892 0460
J Virol 84:11970-80. 2010..for the mouse xenotropic or polytropic mouse leukemia viruses (X-MLVs or P-MLVs, respectively) of the gammaretrovirus family and for susceptibility to mouse-derived X/P-MLVs and to XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related ..
- Characterization of HIV-1 vectors with gammaretrovirus envelope glycoproteins produced from stable packaging cellsB L Strang
Department of Immunology and Molecular Pathology, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, University College London, London, UK
Gene Ther 11:591-8. 2004..High-titre HIV-1 vectors bearing gammaretrovirus envelopes (Env) are continuously produced from STAR cells...
- Wild mouse variants of envelope genes of xenotropic/polytropic mouse gammaretroviruses and their XPR1 receptors elucidate receptor determinants of virus entryYuhe Yan
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0460, USA
J Virol 81:10550-7. 2007..susceptibility to XMVs is the ancestral type in this genus and that the phenotypic variants of mouse XPR1 likely arose in conjunction with exposure to gammaretrovirus infections and coevolutionary adaptations in the viral envelope.
- Search for cross-species transmission of porcine endogenous retrovirus in patients treated with living pig tissue. The XEN 111 Study GroupK Paradis
Imutran Ltd A Novartis Pharma AG Company, Post Office Box 399, Cambridge CB2 2YP, UK
Science 285:1236-41. 1999..Persistent microchimerism (presence of donor cells in the recipient) was observed in 23 patients for up to 8.5 years...
- Cell surface receptors for gammaretrovirusesC S Tailor
Infection, Immunity Injury and Repair Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON M5G 1XB, Canada
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 281:29-106. 2003..See Prassolov, Y., Zhang, D., Ivanov, D., Lohler, J., Ross, S.R., and Stocking, C. Sodium-dependent myo-inositol transporter 1 is a receptor for Mus cervicolor M813 murine leukemia virus...
- Raltegravir is a potent inhibitor of XMRV, a virus implicated in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndromeIla R Singh
Department of Pathology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9948. 2010..Both diseases affect a large fraction of the world population, with prostate cancer affecting one in six men, and CFS affecting an estimated 0.4 to 1% of the population...
- Gene therapy of X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency by use of a pseudotyped gammaretroviral vectorH Bobby Gaspar
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Lancet 364:2181-7. 2004..We investigated the application of somatic gene therapy by use of a gibbon-ape-leukaemia-virus pseudotyped gammaretroviral vector...
- Molecular characterization of a novel gammaretrovirus in killer whales (Orcinus orca)Sarah A Lamere
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Virol 83:12956-67. 2009..We examined tissues from adult killer whales and detected a novel gammaretrovirus by degenerate PCR. Reverse transcription-PCR also demonstrated tissue and serum expression of retroviral mRNA...
- Six host range variants of the xenotropic/polytropic gammaretroviruses define determinants for entry in the XPR1 cell surface receptorYuhe Yan
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892 0460, USA
Retrovirology 6:87. 2009..The mouse xenotropic/polytropic (X/PMV) gammaretroviruses rely on the XPR1 cell surface receptor for entry into host cells, and polymorphic variants of this receptor have been identified in different rodent species...
- Host range and cellular tropism of the human exogenous gammaretrovirus XMRVKristin Stieler
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Virology, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Virology 399:23-30. 2010Recently, the first human infection with an exogenous gammaretrovirus (XMRV) was reported...
- Genomic and functional assays demonstrate reduced gammaretroviral vector genotoxicity associated with use of the cHS4 chromatin insulatorChang Long Li
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7720, USA
Mol Ther 17:716-24. 2009....
- Lack of detection of XMRV in seminal plasma from HIV-1 infected men in The NetherlandsMarion Cornelissen
Laboratory of Experimental Virology, Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e12040. 2010Xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a recently discovered human gammaretrovirus with yet unknown prevalence and transmission route(s)...
- Adaptive evolution of a tagged chimeric gammaretrovirus: identification of novel cis-acting elements that modulate splicingChristopher R Logg
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Mol Biol 369:1214-29. 2007..replication-competent MLV by replacing the native env gene in a full-length viral genome with that of another gammaretrovirus. Earlier, we developed replication-competent versions of MLV that stably transmit and express transgenes ..
- High incidence of leukemia in large animals after stem cell gene therapy with a HOXB4-expressing retroviral vectorXiao Bing Zhang
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
J Clin Invest 118:1502-10. 2008..and polyclonal long-term repopulation following transplantation with cells transduced with an identical gammaretrovirus vector backbone expressing methylguanine methyltransferase...
- Improved short-term engraftment of lentivirally versus gammaretrovirally transduced allogeneic canine repopulating cellsTobias Neff
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Gene Med 9:357-61. 2007..These data suggest that short lentiviral transduction protocols may be superior to extended gammaretroviral transduction protocols with respect to engraftment potential of transduced CD34(+) hematopoietic repopulating cells...
- Functional assessment of the engraftment potential of gammaretrovirus-modified CD34+ cells, using a short serum-free transduction protocolTulin Budak-Alpdogan
Department of Medicine, Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, 08903, USA
Hum Gene Ther 17:780-94. 2006..We have thus developed a short and efficient human MBP CD34(+) transduction protocol under serum-free conditions that is suitable and broadly applicable for phase I clinical trials...
- Gamma-retroviral vectors enveloped with an antibody and an engineered fusogenic protein achieved antigen-specific targetingHaiguang Yang
Mork Family Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 101:357-68. 2008..Taken together, we demonstrated as proof-of-principle a flexible and modular two-molecule strategy for engineering targeting gamma-retroviral vectors...
- Novel vectors for in vivo gene delivery to vascular tissueKathryn White
University of Glasgow, British Heart Foundation Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre, Glasgow, UK
Expert Opin Biol Ther 7:809-21. 2007....
- Stable gammaretroviral vector expression during embryonic stem cell-derived in vitro hematopoietic developmentAli Ramezani
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Mol Ther 14:245-54. 2006....
- Transduction of bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells by using lentivirus vectors pseudotyped with modified RD114 envelope glycoproteinsXian Yang Zhang
Gene Therapy Program, Department of Medicine, LSU Health Sciences Center, Tulane Cancer Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Virol 78:1219-29. 2004..Taken together, these results suggest that lentivirus pseudotypes bearing alternative Env GPs provide efficient tools for ex vivo modification of human MSCs...
- Polyclonal long-term MFGS-gp91phox marking in rhesus macaques after nonmyeloablative transplantation with transduced autologous peripheral blood progenitor cellsSebastian Brenner
Laboratory of Host Defenses, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Ther 14:202-11. 2006..Some inserts landed in the vicinity of genes controlling cell cycle and proliferation. Statistical analyses of insertion sites 1 year posttransplant suggest a high diversity of insertion sites despite low marking...
- A simplified approach to improve the efficiency and safety of ex vivo hematopoietic gene therapy in fanconi anemia patientsA Jacome
Spanish Fanconi Anemia Research Network, Madrid 28040, Spain
Hum Gene Ther 17:245-50. 2006..We propose that our approach will be more efficient and safer compared with standard gene therapy protocols for FA...
- Phylogenetic relationship of porcine endogenous retrovirus (PERV) in Chinese pigs with some type C retrovirusesZhang Li
Key Laboratory of Transplant Engineering and Immunology, Ministry of Health, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, PR China
Virus Res 105:167-73. 2004..From the gag analysis, a novel subgroup of PERV was identified and this novel sequence described in this report would allow such investigation to be actively pursued...
- Efficacy of gene therapy for SCID is being confirmedMarina Cavazzana-Calvo
Département de Biothérapie, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 75015 Paris, France
Lancet 364:2155-6. 2004
- Novel postentry resistance to AKV ecotropic mouse gammaretroviruses in the African pygmy mouse, Mus minutoidesYuhe Yan
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0460, USA
J Virol 82:6120-9. 2008..M. minutoides cells thus have a novel postentry resistance to AKV MLVs...
- The envelope glycoprotein of human endogenous retrovirus HERV-W induces cellular resistance to spleen necrosis virusV G Ponferrada
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, U S A
Arch Virol 148:659-75. 2003..Spleen necrosis virus (SNV), a gammaretrovirus was chosen for testing resistance because it uses RDR to enter cells...
- Genetically modified CD34+ cells do not contribute to the mesenchymal compartment after autologous transplantation in the baboonK A Keyser
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Cytotherapy 7:345-52. 2005..Our aim was to determine whether transplantation of transduced autologous marrow CD34+ cells leads to long-term engraftment of gene-marked cells with mesenchymal characteristics in the baboon...
- Variation of host cell tropism of porcine endogenous retroviruses expressed in chinese Banna minipig inbredZhang Li
Key Laboratory of Transplant Engineering and Immunology, Ministry of Health, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, PR China
Intervirology 49:185-91. 2006..All these findings demonstrate that the presence of endogenous viruses in source animals needs to be carefully considered when the infectious disease potential of xenotransplantation is being assessed...
- In vitro characterization of a koala retrovirusNidia M Oliveira
Section on Molecular Virology, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, 49 Convent Drive, MSC 4483, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4483, USA
J Virol 80:3104-7. 2006Recently, a new endogenous koala gammaretrovirus, designated KoRV, was isolated from koalas. The KoRV genome shares 78% nucleotide identity with another gammaretrovirus, gibbon ape leukemia virus (GALV)...
- Retroviral-mediated gene transfer of gp91phox into bone marrow cells rescues defect in host defense against Aspergillus fumigatus in murine X-linked chronic granulomatous diseaseH Björgvinsdóttir
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, USA
Blood 89:41-8. 1997....
- Envelope proteins of spleen necrosis virus form infectious human immunodeficiency virus type 1 pseudotype vector particles, but fail to incorporate upon substitution of the cytoplasmic domain with that of Gibbon ape leukemia virusJörn Stitz
Division of Medical Biotechnology, Paul Ehrlich Institute, Paul Ehrlich Strasse 51 59, D 63225 Langen, Germany
J Gen Virol 87:1577-81. 2006....
- Sensitivity to human serum of gammaretroviruses produced from pig endothelial cells transduced with glycosyltransferase genesTakashi Kurihara
Research Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Xenotransplantation 10:562-8. 2003..Our results suggest that gammaretroviruses including PERVs produced by transgenic pigs, that are generally modified to reduce the cell-surface alpha-Gal epitope to overcome the HAR in xenotransplantation, are less sensitive to HS...
- Porcine cell microchimerism but lack of productive porcine endogenous retrovirus (PERV) infection in naive and humanized SCID-beige mice treated with porcine peripheral blood mononuclear cellsRuhul H Kuddus
College of Medicine, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Transpl Immunol 13:15-24. 2004..Humanized SCID-beige mice suffered weight loss and occasional minor skin changes due to graft vs. host disease caused by human PBMC but none of the mice showed observable effect attributable to the apparent PERV infection alone...
- Prevalence of porcine endogenous retrovirus in domestic pigs in Japan and its potential infection in dogs xenotransplanted with porcine pancreatic islet cellsKazuya Edamura
Laboratory of Veterinary Emergency Medicine, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 66:129-35. 2004..These results suggested that the risk of PERV infection through xenotransplantation of Bio-AEP containing porcine islet cells without immunosuppressants may be quite low...
- Quantification of reverse transcriptase in ALS and elimination of a novel retroviral candidateA L McCormick
Centre for Virology, Department of Infection, University College London, London, UK
Neurology 70:278-83. 2008..We therefore developed a quantitative assay to study RT levels in ALS and examined the possibility that the recently discovered human gammaretrovirus XMRV (xenotropic MuLV-related virus) might be the source of the RT activity.
- Efficient marking of neural stem cell-derived neurons with a modified murine embryonic stem cell virus, MESV2G C Owens
The Neurosciences Institute, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Gene Ther 9:1044-8. 2002..Both of these viruses efficiently transduced neural stem cells isolated from embryonic rat hippocampus, and robust EGFP expression was observed in neurons derived from these cells following differentiation in vitro...
- Molecular analysis of a recombinant M-MuLV/RaLV retrovirusRodrigo A Villanueva
Department of Biochemistry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Virology 315:195-208. 2003..These results highlight the effects of exogenous viral infection on endogenous viruses...
- Genetic alterations of the long terminal repeat of an ecotropic porcine endogenous retrovirus during passage in human cellsJoachim Denner
Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Virology 314:125-33. 2003..These data indicate that recombinant PERVs generated during infection of human cells can adapt and subsequently replicate with greater efficiency...
- Co-localization of gammaretroviral RNAs at their transcription site favours co-packagingSøren Vestergaard Rasmussen
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Aarhus, C F Møllers Alle, Building 130, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Gen Virol 87:2279-89. 2006..It is hypothesized that this linkage is due to RNA dimerization taking place at the transcription site...
- LEDGF/p75 interacts with divergent lentiviral integrases and modulates their enzymatic activity in vitroPeter Cherepanov
Section of Infectious Diseases, Division of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, W2 1PG, London, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 35:113-24. 2007..In this work, a series of INs from the Betaretrovirus, Gammaretrovirus, Deltaretrovirus, Spumavirus and Lentivirus retroviral genera were tested for interaction with the host ..
- Longitudinal analysis of feline leukemia virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes: correlation with recovery from infectionJ Norman Flynn
Retrovirus Research Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Glasgow, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1QH, Scotland
J Virol 76:2306-15. 2002Feline leukemia virus (FeLV) is a common naturally occurring gammaretrovirus of domestic cats that is associated with degenerative diseases of the hematopoietic system, immunodeficiency, and neoplasia...
- Real-time PCR investigation of feline leukemia virus proviral and viral RNA loads in leukocyte subsetsValentino Cattori
Clinical Laboratory, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstreet 260, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 123:124-8. 2008Cats exposed to feline leukemia virus (FeLV), a naturally occurring gammaretrovirus develop either progressive or regressive infection...
- Adaptive evolution of Mus Apobec3 includes retroviral insertion and positive selection at two clusters of residues flanking the substrate grooveBradley Sanville
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000974. 2010..This insertion represents the long terminal repeat of the xenotropic mouse gammaretrovirus, and was acquired in Eurasian mice that harbor xenotropic retrovirus...
- Characterization of neutrophil extracellular traps in cats naturally infected with feline leukemia virusAmanda B Wardini
Instituto de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
J Gen Virol 91:259-64. 2010Feline leukemia virus (FeLV), a common, naturally occurring gammaretrovirus in domestic cats, is associated with degenerative diseases of the haematopoietic system, immunodeficiency and neoplasia...
- Interleukin 6 is essential for in vivo development of B lineage neoplasmsD M Hilbert
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Exp Med 182:243-8. 1995..These studies define the essential role of IL-6 in the development of B lineage tumors in vivo and provide experimental support for continued efforts to modulate this cytokine in the treatment of appropriate human B cell malignancies...
- Endogenous retroviruses as potential hazards for vaccinesTakayuki Miyazawa
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin Kawaracho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biologicals 38:371-6. 2010..In humans, a novel gammaretrovirus was discovered in patients with prostate cancer or chronic fatigue syndrome...
- Distribution of endogenous retroviruses in crocodiliansWeerachai Jaratlerdsiri
Centre for Advanced Technologies in Animal Genetics and Reproduction, Faculty of Veterinary Science, RMC Gunn Building, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
J Virol 83:10305-8. 2009..CERV 1 clustered as a sister group of the genus Gammaretrovirus, while CERV 2 clustered distantly with respect to all known ERVs...
- Gene transfer to repopulating human CD34+ cells using amphotropic-, GALV-, or RD114-pseudotyped HIV-1-based vectors from stable producer cellsThomas Relander
Department of Molecular Medicine and Gene Therapy, Lund University, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Mol Ther 11:452-9. 2005..Vectors pseudotyped with three different gammaretrovirus envelopes were used: the amphotropic MLV envelope (MLV-A), a modified gibbon ape leukemia virus envelope (..
- Susceptibility of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) to retroviral restriction factorsHarriet C T Groom
Division of Virology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5166-71. 2010Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a recently discovered gammaretrovirus that has been linked to prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome...
- Lack of evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus(XMRV) in German prostate cancer patientsOliver Hohn
Robert Koch Institute, Centre for Biological Safety 4, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Retrovirology 6:92. 2009A novel gammaretrovirus named xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) has been recently identified and found to have a prevalence of 40% in prostate tumor samples from American patients carrying a homozygous R462Q mutation ..
- Enhancement of antitumor activity of gammaretrovirus carrying IL-12 gene through genetic modification of envelope targeting HER2 receptor: a promising strategy for bladder cancer therapyY S Tsai
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
Cancer Gene Ther 17:37-48. 2010..Therefore, the antitumor activity of gammaretroviruses carrying the IL-12 gene was enhanced through genetic modification of the envelope targeting HER2 receptor, which may be a promising strategy for bladder cancer therapy...
- Genome areas with high gene density and CpG island neighborhood strongly attract porcine endogenous retrovirus for integration and favor the formation of hot spotsY Moalic
AFSSA LERAPP, Ploufragan, France
J Virol 83:1920-9. 2009Porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERV) are members of the gammaretrovirus genus and display integration preferences around transcription start sites, a finding which is similar to the preferences of the murine leukemia virus (MLV)...
- Directed evolution of retrovirus envelope protein cytoplasmic tails guided by functional incorporation into lentivirus particlesChristoph A Merten
Division of Medical Biotechnology, Paul Ehrlich Institut, Paul Ehrlich Str 51 59, 63225 Langen, Germany
J Virol 79:834-40. 2005In contrast to most gammaretrovirus envelope proteins (Env), the Gibbon ape leukemia virus (GaLV) Env protein does not mediate the infectivity of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) particles...
- A cellular restriction dictates the permissivity of nondividing monocytes/macrophages to lentivirus and gammaretrovirus infectionRajnish Kaushik
Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Cell Host Microbe 6:68-80. 2009..Collectively, our results indicate that the relative ability of lentiviruses and gammaretroviruses to transduce nondividing myeloid cells is dependent upon their ability to neutralize a cellular restriction...
- Murine APOBEC1 is a powerful mutator of retroviral and cellular RNA in vitro and in vivoVincent Petit
Unite de Retrovirologie Moleculaire, CNRS URA, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Mol Biol 385:65-78. 2009..We show here that ssDNA hyperediting of an infectious exogenous gammaretrovirus, the Friend-murine leukemia virus, by murine APOBEC1 and APOBEC3 deaminases occurs in vitro...
- Identification and characterization of an exogenous retrovirus from atlantic salmon swim bladder sarcomasThomas A Paul
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, C4137 VMC, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Virol 80:2941-8. 2006..analysis based on reverse transcriptase places SSSV with zebrafish endogenous retrovirus (ZFERV) between the Gammaretrovirus and Epsilonretrovirus genera...
- XMRV: a new virus in prostate cancer?Amanda L Aloia
HIV Drug Resistance Program, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Cancer Res 70:10028-33. 2010Several recent articles have reported the presence of a gammaretrovirus, termed "XMRV" (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) in prostate cancers (PCa)...
- Gene therapy: the first two decades and the current state-of-the-artTerence R Flotte
Department of Pediatrics, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
J Cell Physiol 213:301-5. 2007..Over the ensuing decades, vectors were developed, including nonviral methods, integrating virus vectors (gammaretrovirus and lentivirus), and non-integrating virus vectors (adenovirus, adeno-associated virus, and herpes simplex ..
- An infectious retrovirus susceptible to an IFN antiviral pathway from human prostate tumorsBeihua Dong
Department of Cancer Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1655-60. 2007We recently reported identification of a previously undescribed gammaretrovirus genome, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), in prostate cancer tissue from patients homozygous for a reduced activity variant of the ..
- Overexpression of p101 activates PI3Kgamma signaling in T cells and contributes to cell survivalC Johnson
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Tulane Cancer Center, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Oncogene 26:7049-57. 2007..a common site of retroviral insertion in T-cell lymphomas induced in mice by MoFe2-MuLV, a unique recombinant gammaretrovirus. The common interruption of p101 by retroviral integration suggests that the locus encodes an oncogene whose ..
- Matrix fibronectin binds gammaretrovirus and assists in entry: new light on viral infectionsChristiane Beer
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University, C F Møllers Alle, Building 130, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Virol 81:8247-57. 2007A major entry route for the gammaretrovirus amphotropic murine leukemia virus (A-MLV) into NIH 3T3 fibroblasts is via caveola-dependent endocytosis. However, during the infection time, few viral particles can be observed intracellularly...
- Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related gammaretrovirus in respiratory tractNicole Fischer
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Virology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1000-2. 2010Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related gammaretrovirus (XMRV) has been recently associated with prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. To identify nucleic acid sequences, we examined respiratory secretions by using PCR...
- Diminished potential for B-lymphoid differentiation after murine leukemia virus infection in vivo and in EML hematopoietic progenitor cellsSamantha L Finstad
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue SL 38, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Virol 81:7274-9. 2007Infection with a recombinant murine-feline gammaretrovirus, MoFe2, or with the parent virus, Moloney murine leukemia virus, caused significant reduction in B-lymphoid differentiation of bone marrow at 2 to 8 weeks postinfection...
- A cautionary tale of virus and diseaseRobin A Weiss
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
BMC Biol 8:124. 2010The recent identification of the gammaretrovirus XMRV and a second gammaretrovirus of a different subtype in chronic fatigue syndrome has aroused much interest, not least among sufferers...
- Identification of viral infections in the prostate and evaluation of their association with cancerMargarita L Martinez-Fierro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University Hospital Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey 64460, Mexico
BMC Cancer 10:326. 2010..Recently, the Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related gammaretrovirus (XMRV) was identified in prostate tissue with a high prevalence observed in prostate cancer (PC) patients ..
- The role of XMRV, a newly discovered human retrovirus, in cancer pathogenesisIla R Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..XMRV, by sequence analysis, is a gammaretrovirus. While gammaretroviruses have well- characterized oncogenic effects in animals, they have not been shown to ..
- Optimization of XMRV and other MLV-related virus detection for screening of bloodGraham Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): Abstract Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a newly identified gammaretrovirus linked to prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)...
- Small animal model for XMRV infectionYasuhiro Ikeda; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A novel human gammaretrovirus, entropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), has been identified in association with familial cases of prostate carcinoma and in patients with chronic fatigue ..
- Role of Natural Pseudotyping with Other Viruses in HIV TransmissionJames E Hildreth; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose a molecular epidemiology study consisting of four major aims. 1) To complete in vitro studies of gammaretrovirus/HIV-1 pseudotyping;2) To demonstrate gammaretrovirus/HIV-1 co-infections in local donors;3) To demonstrate ..
- Role of Natural Pseudotyping with Other Viruses in HIV TransmissionJames E Hildreth; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose a molecular epidemiology study consisting of four major aims. 1) To complete in vitro studies of gammaretrovirus/HIV-1 pseudotyping;2) To demonstrate gammaretrovirus/HIV-1 co-infections in local donors;3) To demonstrate ..
- Expression and function of the human PERV A receptorsDaniel Salomon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The work proposed will advance our understanding of a new animal model for a gammaretrovirus and a novel viral receptor expressed widely in human tissues...
- Non-viral RNAs in HIV-1 particlesAlice Telesnitsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..work examines the determinants of specific host RNAs'virion incorporation for both HIV-1 and the gammaretrovirus, MLV...
- Role of RNase L in the Biology of Prostate CancerRobert Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experiments described in this PROPOSAL describe a previously unexplored area of research that may bring us closer to the eventual goal of understanding a molecular basis for prostate cancer. ..
- Role of Phospholipid Scramblase in Interferon ActionRobert Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- B Lymphocytes Differentiation and TriggeringBrigitte Huber; Fiscal Year: 2008..Collectively, these studies will further the general understanding of how viruses exploit the immune system of their hosts to their own advantage. ..
- BIOCHEMICAL MECHANISM OF HIV DNA INTEGRATIONAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Multidisciplinary Biodefense Training ProgramBrigitte Huber; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary areas of research include genetics, immunology and molecular microbiology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENHANCING THE INTRACELLULAR FUNCTIONING OF HIV RIBOZYMESJohn Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results from this program will greatly facilitate the effective use of ribozyme treatment for HIV-1 infection in a gene therapy setting. ..
- QPP: Protease that Prevents Apoptosis in Quiescent CellsBrigitte Huber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Collectively, these studies will augment our limited understanding of the constitutive Go survival program in eukaryotic cells. ..
- MECHANISM OF NON-INTEGRASE-MEDIATED HIV-1 REPLICATIONAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Further aims are to develop gene therapy vectors based on non-integrating retroviruses. ..
- RETROVIRUS EVOLUTIONJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Chronic Lyme Arthritis: Is this Autoimmunity?Brigitte Huber; Fiscal Year: 2005..These experiments are designed to elucidate the mechanism of treatment resistant Lyme arthritis. ..
- LEDGF-Integrase Structural BiologyAlan Engelman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Integration and Expression of Retrovirus DNAJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2005..role of the integration site in the level of transcription of the integrated provirus? In particular, what is the basis for "position effects" leading to clone-to-clone variation in expression of integrated proviruses? ..
- MECHANISM OF HIV DNA INTEGRATIONFrederic Bushman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Long term, these studies, together with data on protein structures, will provide a high-resolution picture of the organization and function of preintegration complexes. ..
- MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUM VIRUS TOPOISOMERASEFrederic Bushman; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, poxviruses have been implicated as possible biological warfare agents; thus poxvirus topoisomerase inhibitors might be use for treating such infections. ..
- Purchase of the Roche GS SLX Sequencing SystemFrederic Bushman; Fiscal Year: 2008..The instrument will be housed in the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine DNA Sequencing Core Facility, and be operated by their staff. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemistry of HIV-1 Integrase FunctionFrederic Bushman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Specific Aims are: Aim 1. Functional studies of IN-DNA complexes Aim 2. Structural analysis of IN-DNA complexes. ..
- MICROGLIA IN RETROVIRUS INDUCED NEURODEGENERATIONWilliam Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..