Genomes and Genes
Summary: Retroviruses that have integrated into the germline (PROVIRUSES) that have lost infectious capability but retained the capability to transpose.
Publications261 found, 100 shown here
- Dynamic control of endogenous retroviruses during developmentHelen M Rowe
National Program, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Virology 411:273-87. 2011..Expectedly, the control of endogenous retroviruses is tight and multi-pronged...
- Syncytin is a captive retroviral envelope protein involved in human placental morphogenesisS Mi
Genetics Institute, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02140, USA
Nature 403:785-9. 2000..Our data indicate that syncytin may mediate placental cytotrophoblast fusion in vivo, and thus may be important in human placental morphogenesis...
- KAP1 controls endogenous retroviruses in embryonic stem cellsHelen M Rowe
School of Life Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Nature 463:237-40. 2010..than forty per cent of the mammalian genome is derived from retroelements, of which about one-quarter are endogenous retroviruses (ERVs)...
- Studies of endogenous retroviruses reveal a continuing evolutionary sagaJonathan P Stoye
Division of Virology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 10:395-406. 2012..Through this process, retroviruses can colonize the germ line to form endogenous retroviruses (ERVs)...
- Proviral silencing in embryonic stem cells requires the histone methyltransferase ESETToshiyuki Matsui
Experimental Research Center for Infectious Diseases, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin, Kawara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Nature 464:927-31. 2010b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs), retrovirus-like elements with long terminal repeats, are widely dispersed in the euchromatic compartment in mammalian cells, comprising approximately 10% of the mouse genome...
- DNA methylation and SETDB1/H3K9me3 regulate predominantly distinct sets of genes, retroelements, and chimeric transcripts in mESCsMohammad M Karimi
Department of Medical Genetics, Life Sciences Institute, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Cell Stem Cell 8:676-87. 2011..Numerous endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) lose H3K9me3 and are concomitantly derepressed exclusively in SETDB1 knockout mESCs...
- Retroviral elements and their hosts: insertional mutagenesis in the mouse germ lineIrina A Maksakova
Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS Genet 2:e2. 2006..Here we briefly review mouse endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) and their influence on gene expression, analyze mechanisms of interaction between ERVs and the ..
- Endogenous retroviral LTRs as promoters for human genes: a critical assessmentCarla J Cohen
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, 675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z1L3
Gene 448:105-14. 2009..investigations have confirmed many specific examples of mammalian genes regulated by promoters donated by endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) or other TEs...
- Species-specific endogenous retroviruses shape the transcriptional network of the human tumor suppressor protein p53Ting Wang
Center for Biomolecular Science and Engineering, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:18613-8. 2007..These results demonstrate how retroelements can significantly shape the regulatory network of a transcription factor in a species-specific manner...
- Expression of HERV-Fc1, a human endogenous retrovirus, is increased in patients with active multiple sclerosisMagdalena Janina Laska
Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
J Virol 86:3713-22. 2012..Among environmental factors, viruses are most often connected with the etiology of MS. Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) constitute 5 to 8% of human genomic DNA and have been detected as transcripts and proteins in the ..
- Identification, characterization, and comparative genomic distribution of the HERV-K (HML-2) group of human endogenous retrovirusesRavi P Subramanian
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Retrovirology 8:90. 2011..Interestingly, this expression is upregulated in many tumors ranging from breast and ovarian tissues to lymphomas and melanomas, as well as schizophrenia, rheumatoid arthritis, and other disorders...
- A systematic evaluation of expression of HERV-W elements; influence of genomic context, viral structure and orientationFang Li
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Genomics 12:22. 2011One member of the W family of human endogenous retroviruses (HERV) appears to have been functionally adopted by the human host...
- HIV-1 integration in the human genome favors active genes and local hotspotsAstrid R W Schroder
Infectious Disease Laboratory, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 110:521-9. 2002..4 kb region containing 1% of sites. These data document unexpectedly strong biases in integration site selection and suggest how selective targeting promotes aggressive HIV replication...
- Effects of retroviruses on host genome functionPatric Jern
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Annu Rev Genet 42:709-32. 2008....
- Retroelements and the human genome: new perspectives on an old relationNorbert Bannert
Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14572-9. 2004Retroelements constitute a large portion of our genomes. One class of these elements, the human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), is comprised of remnants of ancient exogenous retroviruses that have gained access to the germ line...
- Implication of human endogenous retroviruses in the development of autoimmune diseasesEva Balada
Research Unit in Systemic Autoimmune Diseases, Vall d Hebron Research Institute, Barcelona, Spain
Int Rev Immunol 29:351-70. 2010..Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), probably representing footprints of ancient germ-cell retroviral infections, occupy about 1% of ..
- Endogenous retroviruses in trophoblast differentiation and placental developmentSarah G Black
Center for Animal Biotechnology and Genomics, Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 2471, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 64:255-64. 2010b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are present in the genome of all vertebrates and originated from infections of the germline of the host by exogenous retroviruses...
- Ancestral capture of syncytin-Car1, a fusogenic endogenous retroviral envelope gene involved in placentation and conserved in CarnivoraGuillaume Cornelis
Unité des rétrovirus endogènes et éléments rétroïdes des eucaryotes supérieurs, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8122, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E432-41. 2012..This gene is the oldest syncytin gene identified to date, and it is the first in a new major clade of eutherian mammals...
- A role for human endogenous retrovirus-K (HML-2) in rheumatoid arthritis: investigating mechanisms of pathogenesisG Freimanis
Research Institute in Healthcare Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 160:340-7. 2010Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are remnants of ancient retroviral infections within the human genome...
- Impaired cell fusion and differentiation in placentae from patients with intrauterine growth restriction correlate with reduced levels of HERV envelope genesMatthias Ruebner
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Laboratory for Molecular Medicine, University Clinic Erlangen, Universitaetsstr 21 23, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 88:1143-56. 2010..Fusogenic and non-fusogenic envelope genes are dysregulated in IUGR placentae and may contribute to the etiology of growth restriction in utero...
- HIV infection and HERV expression: a reviewAntoinette C van der Kuyl
Laboratory of Experimental Virology, Department of Medical Microbiology, Center for Infection and Immunity Amsterdam, Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Retrovirology 9:6. 2012The human genome contains multiple copies of retrovirus genomes known as endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) that have entered the germ-line at some point in evolution...
- Regulatory T-cell expansion during chronic viral infection is dependent on endogenous retroviral superantigensGeorge A Punkosdy
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3677-82. 2011..Thus, one unique mechanism by which certain infectious agents evade host immune responses may be mediated by endogenous Sag-dependent activation and expansion of Treg...
- Regression of human kidney cancer following allogeneic stem cell transplantation is associated with recognition of an HERV-E antigen by T cellsYoshiyuki Takahashi
Hematology Branch and Flow Cytometry Core Facility, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, Department of Clinical Pathology, Clinical Center, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 118:1099-109. 2008..These data suggest that HERV-E is activated in RCC and that it encodes an overexpressed immunogenic antigen, therefore providing a potential target for cellular immunity...
- The human endogenous retrovirus link between genes and environment in multiple sclerosis and in multifactorial diseases associating neuroinflammationHervé Perron
Geneuro, 18, Chemin des Aulx, 1228, Plan les Ouates, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 39:51-61. 2010b>Endogenous retroviruses represent about 8% of the human genome and belong to the superfamily of transposable and retrotransposable genetic elements...
- Placental syncytins: Genetic disjunction between the fusogenic and immunosuppressive activity of retroviral envelope proteinsMarianne Mangeney
Unité des rétrovirus endogènes et éléments rétroïdes des eucaryotes supérieurs, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8122, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:20534-9. 2007..These are envelope genes from endogenous retroviruses independently coopted by ancestral hosts, conserved in evolution, specifically expressed in the placenta, ..
- Endogenous retroviruses and cancerK Ruprecht
Institut fur Virologie, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg, Saar, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3366-82. 2008..Such sequences, called endogenous retroviruses (ERVs), have resulted from ancestral germ line infections by exogenous retroviruses which have thereafter ..
- Activation of LTRs from different human endogenous retrovirus (HERV) families by the HTLV-1 tax protein and T-cell activatorsChirine Toufaily
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, SB R860, 2080 St Urbain, Montreal, Quebec, H2X 3X8, Canada
Viruses 3:2146-59. 2011Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) represent approximately 8% of our genome. HERVs influence cellular gene expression and contribute to normal physiological processes such as cellular differentiation and morphogenesis...
- Genome-wide assessments reveal extremely high levels of polymorphism of two active families of mouse endogenous retroviral elementsYing Zhang
Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS Genet 4:e1000007. 2008..These extreme levels of polymorphism suggest that ERV insertions play a significant role in genetic drift of mouse lines...
- Keeping active endogenous retroviral-like elements in check: the epigenetic perspectiveI A Maksakova
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3329-47. 2008..We also address relevance of research performed in the mouse system to human and challenges associated with studying repetitive families. (Part of a multi-author review)...
- HHV-6A infection induces expression of HERV-K18-encoded superantigenAlbert K Tai
Department of Pathology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, United States
J Clin Virol 46:47-8. 2009..This provirus is transcriptionally silent, but can be induced by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection and IFN-alpha treatment...
- Identification and characterization of novel human endogenous retrovirus families by phylogenetic screening of the human genome mapping project databaseM Tristem
Department of Biology, Imperial College, Silwood Park, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7PY, United Kingdom
J Virol 74:3715-30. 2000Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) were first identified almost 20 years ago, and since then numerous families have been described...
- Syncytin-A knockout mice demonstrate the critical role in placentation of a fusogenic, endogenous retrovirus-derived, envelope geneAnne Dupressoir
Unité des rétrovirus endogènes et éléments rétroïdes des eucaryotes supérieurs, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8122, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif, and Université Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:12127-32. 2009....
- Comprehensive analysis of human endogenous retrovirus transcriptional activity in human tissues with a retrovirus-specific microarrayWolfgang Seifarth
Medical Clinic III, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Virol 79:341-52. 2005..As part of our ongoing search for active and possibly disease-relevant human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), we have recently developed an oligonucleotide-based microarray...
- RYBP represses endogenous retroviruses and preimplantation- and germ line-specific genes in mouse embryonic stem cellsKaori Hisada
Immunoepigenetics, RIKEN Research Center for Allergy and Immunology, Yokohama, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 32:1139-49. 2012..In contrast, we have found that RYBP efficiently represses endogenous retroviruses (murine endogenous retrovirus [MuERV] class) and preimplantation (including zygotic genome activation ..
- Pregnancy recognition and conceptus implantation in domestic ruminants: roles of progesterone, interferons and endogenous retrovirusesThomas E Spencer
Center for Animal Biotechnology andGenomics, Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Reprod Fertil Dev 19:65-78. 2007..development and implantation in sheep with respect to regulation by progesterone, interferons and endogenous retroviruses. After formation of the corpus luteum, progesterone acts on the endometrium and stimulates blastocyst ..
- Production of transgenic pigs that express porcine endogenous retrovirus small interfering RNAsJagdeece Ramsoondar
Revivicor Inc, 1700 Kraft Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060, USA
Xenotransplantation 16:164-80. 2009..The recently developed RNA interference (RNAi) technology to knockdown/silence post-transcriptional gene expression, offers a promising alternative to achieving this goal...
- Classification and nomenclature of endogenous retroviral sequences (ERVs): problems and recommendationsJonas Blomberg
Section of Virology, Department of Medical Sciences, Academic Hospital, 75185 Uppsala, Sweden
Gene 448:115-23. 2009The genomes of many species are crowded with repetitive mobile sequences. In the case of endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) there is, for various reasons, considerable confusion regarding names assigned to families/groups of ERVs as well as ..
- Mouse endogenous retroviruses can trigger premature transcriptional termination at a distanceJingfeng Li
Human Cancer Genetics Program and Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Genome Res 22:870-84. 2012..This study defines an unexpectedly strong functional impact of ERVs in disrupting gene transcription at a distance and demonstrates that ongoing retrotransposition can contribute significantly to natural phenotypic diversity...
- Strong human endogenous retrovirus-specific T cell responses are associated with control of HIV-1 in chronic infectionDevi SenGupta
UCSF Division of Experimental Medicine, Building 3, Room 603, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Virol 85:6977-85. 2011Eight percent of the human genome is composed of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), which are thought to be inactive remnants of ancient infections...
- Beneficial and detrimental effects of human endogenous retrovirusesReinhard Kurth
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
Int J Cancer 126:306-14. 2010In this mini review, we aim to evaluate the structure and function of Human Endogenous Retroviruses (HERVs) with respect to the benefit they may have for humans or the damage they may cause...
- Direct involvement of HERV-W Env glycoprotein in human trophoblast cell fusion and differentiationJean Louis Frendo
Unité INSERM 427, Faculte des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques, Universite Rene Descartes, 75006 Paris, France
Mol Cell Biol 23:3566-74. 2003..Taken together, these results strongly support a direct role for Env-W in human trophoblast cell fusion and differentiation...
- Increased immunoglobulin G, but not M, binding to endogenous retroviral antigens in HIV-1 infected personsA Lawoko
Department of Medical Sciences, Section of Virology, Uppsala Academic Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
J Med Virol 62:435-44. 2000..Therefore, 14 synthetic peptides with sequences derived from conserved regions of various endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) and from related exogenous retroviruses were used to search for IgG and IgM antibodies that bind ..
- Custom human endogenous retroviruses dedicated microarray identifies self-induced HERV-W family elements reactivated in testicular cancer upon methylation controlJuliette Gimenez
Laboratoire Commun de Recherche Hospices Civils de Lyon bioMérieux, Cancer Biomarkers Research Group, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, bâtiment 3F, 69495 Pierre Benite Cedex, France
Nucleic Acids Res 38:2229-46. 2010b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are an inherited part of the eukaryotic genomes, and represent approximately 400,000 loci in the human genome...
- Novel reliable real-time PCR for differential detection of MSRVenv and syncytin-1 in RNA and DNA from patients with multiple sclerosisGiuseppe Mameli
Section of Microbiology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Centre of Excellence for Biotechnology Development and Biodiversity Research, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro 43b, Sassari, Italy
J Virol Methods 161:98-106. 2009Two components of the HERV-W family of human endogenous retroviruses are activated during multiple sclerosis (MS) and proposed immunopathogenic co-factors: MSRV (MS-associated retrovirus), and ERVWE1 (whose env protein, syncytin-1, ..
- An endogenous retrovirus derived from human melanoma cellsThomas Muster
Department of Dermatology, Division of General Dermatology, University of Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
Cancer Res 63:8735-41. 2003..The data suggest that expression of retroviral genes and production of retroviral particles is activated during development of melanoma...
- Use of endogenous retroviral sequences (ERVs) and structural markers for retroviral phylogenetic inference and taxonomyPatric Jern
Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Retrovirology 2:50. 2005..The aim was to find traits useful for classification and evolutionary studies of retroviruses. Some of these traits have been used by others, but they are here tested in a wider context than before...
- Transactivation of elements in the human endogenous retrovirus W family by viral infectionChristoffer Nellåker
The Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius vag 8, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Retrovirology 3:44. 2006....
- Expression of human endogenous retrovirus K in melanomas and melanoma cell linesKristina Büscher
Robert Koch Institute and Department of Dermatology, Campus Charite Mitte, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Cancer Res 65:4172-80. 2005..In contrast to all other human endogenous retroviruses, some HERV-K proviruses have maintained open reading frames for all viral proteins...
- Detection of HERV-K(HML-2) viral RNA in plasma of HIV type 1-infected individualsRafael Contreras-Galindo
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico 00716
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:979-84. 2006Approximately 8% of the human genome sequence is composed by human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), most of which are defective...
- B cells and monocytes from patients with active multiple sclerosis exhibit increased surface expression of both HERV-H Env and HERV-W Env, accompanied by increased seroreactivityTomasz Brudek
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Retrovirology 6:104. 2009..Herpesviruses and human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) represent potentially important factors in MS development...
- Identification of active loci of a human endogenous retrovirus in neurons of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisRenee Douville
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Neurol 69:141-51. 2011..Previous studies showed reverse transcriptase in serum of ALS patients at levels comparable to human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients; however, the source and significance of the retroviral elements is uncertain...
- An N-terminally truncated envelope protein encoded by a human endogenous retrovirus W locus on chromosome Xq22.3Christina Roebke
Institut fur Virologie, Gebäude 47, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, 66421 Homburg, Germany
Retrovirology 7:69. 2010..We set out to characterize the protein encoded by that ORF...
- HERVs in neuropathogenesisTove Christensen
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Aarhus, Bartholin Building, Wilhelm Meyers Allé 4, 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 5:326-35. 2010In humans, exogenous retroviruses are known to cause immunodeficiency and neurological disease. While endogenous retroviruses are firmly established pathogens in other species, the human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) may well be ..
- Loss of epigenetic silencing in tumors preferentially affects primate-specific retroelementsSebastian Szpakowski
Interdepartmental Program in Computational, Biology and Bioinformatics, Yale University School of Medicine, Room LH 208, 310 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Gene 448:151-67. 2009....
- Epstein-Barr virus transactivates the human endogenous retrovirus HERV-K18 that encodes a superantigenN Sutkowski
Department of Pathology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Immunity 15:579-89. 2001..The T cell activation elicited by the Sag could play a central role in EBV infection and associated diseases...
- Human endogenous retrovirus-K18 Env as a risk factor in multiple sclerosisA K Tai
Department of Pathology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mult Scler 14:1175-80. 2008..3/K18.3 vs K18.2/K18.2 = 2.7; 95% confidence interval: 1.1-6.4).ConclusionVariation in EBV-associated superantigen HERV-K18 Env could influence the genetic susceptibility to MS...
- Multiple effects govern endogenous retrovirus survival patterns in human gene intronsLouie N van de Lagemaat
Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Research Centre, 675 W 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1L3, Canada
Genome Biol 7:R86. 2006b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) and solitary long terminal repeats (LTRs) have a significant antisense bias when located in gene introns, suggesting strong negative selective pressure on such elements oriented in the same transcriptional ..
- Molecular mechanisms mediated by human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) in autoimmunityEva Balada
Research Unit in Systemic Autoimmune Diseases, Vall d Hebron Research Institute, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Med Virol 19:273-86. 2009....
- Interplay between ovine bone marrow stromal cell antigen 2/tetherin and endogenous retrovirusesFrederick Arnaud
Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 464 Bearsden Road, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Virol 84:4415-25. 2010..Viral expression in cells unable to express BST2 may be one of the mechanisms used by retroviruses to escape restriction...
- Human endogenous retrovirus expression profiles in samples from brains of patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disordersOliver Frank
Medical Clinic III, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Virol 79:10890-901. 2005..schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders suggest that activation or upregulation of distinct human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) may play a role in the etiopathogenesis of neuropsychiatric diseases...
- HERV-W-related RNA detected in plasma from individuals with recent-onset schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderH Karlsson
Mol Psychiatry 9:12-3. 2004
- The first sequenced carnivore genome shows complex host-endogenous retrovirus relationshipsAlvaro Martínez Barrio
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e19832. 2011..we analyzed a female boxer (Canis familiaris) genome for complexity and integration pattern of canine endogenous retroviruses (CfERV)...
- Conserved footprints of APOBEC3G on Hypermutated human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and human endogenous retrovirus HERV-K(HML2) sequencesAndrew E Armitage
MRC Human Immunology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Virol 82:8743-61. 2008..We extended our analysis to human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) from the HERV-K(HML2) family, finding two elements that carried clear footprints of hA3G activity...
- Murine endogenous retrovirusesC Stocking
Heinrich Pette Institute, Hamburg, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3383-98. 2008..We review mechanisms by which an adaptive coexistence has evolved. (Part of a multi-author review)...
- The envelope protein of a human endogenous retrovirus-W family activates innate immunity through CD14/TLR4 and promotes Th1-like responsesAlexandre Rolland
Laboratoire d Immunochimie, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 548, Commissariat a l Energie Atomique, Grenoble, France
J Immunol 176:7636-44. 2006..element (MSRV) is a retroviral element, the sequence of which served to define the W family of human endogenous retroviruses. MSRV viral particles display proinflammatory activities both in vitro in human mononuclear cell cultures ..
- Regulation of human endogenous retrovirus-K expression in melanomas by CpG methylationSven Stengel
Retrovirus Induced Immunosuppression, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, Berlin, Germany
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 49:401-11. 2010..These results demonstrate that increased HERV-K expression in melanomas may be due to increased promoter activity and demethylation of the 5'LTR...
- Microarray-based sketches of the HERV transcriptome landscapePhilippe Pérot
Joint Unit Hospices Civils de Lyon, bioMerieux, Cancer Biomarkers Research Group, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 7:e40194. 2012Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are spread throughout the genome and their long terminal repeats (LTRs) constitute a wide collection of putative regulatory sequences...
- Human endogenous retrovirus glycoprotein-mediated induction of redox reactants causes oligodendrocyte death and demyelinationJoseph M Antony
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Nat Neurosci 7:1088-95. 2004Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) constitute 8% of the human genome and have been implicated in both health and disease...
- Comparative methylation of ERVWE1/syncytin-1 and other human endogenous retrovirus LTRs in placenta tissuesJuliette Gimenez
Laboratoire Commun de Recherche Hospices Civils de Lyon bioMérieux, Cancer Biomarkers Research Group, 69495 Pierre Benite Cedex, France
DNA Res 16:195-211. 2009Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are globally silent in somatic cells. However, some HERVs display high transcription in physiological conditions...
- Porcine endogenous retroviruses and xenotransplantationC A Wilson
Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies, Gene Transfer and Immunogenicity Branch, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3399-412. 2008..The observation that the porcine germline harbors genetic loci encoding porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERVs) that are in some cases infectious for human cells has resulted in renewed scientific interest in ..
- Positive selection of primate TRIM5alpha identifies a critical species-specific retroviral restriction domainSara L Sawyer
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:2832-7. 2005..that TRIM5alpha evolution has been driven by antagonistic interactions with a wide variety of viruses and endogenous retroviruses that predate the origin of primate lentiviruses...
- Immunotherapeutic potential of anti-human endogenous retrovirus-K envelope protein antibodies in targeting breast tumorsFeng Wang-Johanning
Department of Veterinary Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:189-210. 2012..We assessed whether HERV-K env is a potential target for antibody-based immunotherapy of breast cancer...
- Molecular phylogenetic analysis of the human endogenous retrovirus E (HERV-E) family in human tissues and human cancersJoo Mi Yi
Division of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Pusan National University, Korea
Genes Genet Syst 82:89-98. 2007..These active HERV-E elements deserve further investigation as potential pathogenic factors in human diseases such as cancers...
- The distribution of human endogenous retrovirus K-113 in health and autoimmune diseases in PolandMaja Krzysztalowska-Wawrzyniak
Department of Clinical and Molecular Biochemistry, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Rheumatology (Oxford) 50:1310-4. 2011..of the human genome, a number of retroviral integrations have occurred creating a group of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs)...
- Expression of the human endogenous retrovirus (HERV) group HML-2/HERV-K does not depend on canonical promoter elements but is regulated by transcription factors Sp1 and Sp3Nina V Fuchs
Paul Ehrlich Institut, Federal Institute for Vaccines and Biomedicines, Paul Ehrlich Strasse 51 59, D 63225 Langen, Germany
J Virol 85:3436-48. 2011After fixation in the human genome, human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are bona fide cellular genes despite their exogenous origin...
- Endogenous retroviral pathogenesis in lupusAndras Perl
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine and Microbiology and Immunology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 22:483-92. 2010Genetic and environmental factors influence the development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are proposed as a molecular link between the human genome and environmental factors, such as viruses, in ..
- Differential expression of human endogenous retrovirus K transcripts in primary human melanocytes and melanoma cell lines after UV irradiationJanine Reiche
Centre for Biological Safety, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Melanoma Res 20:435-40. 2010Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are discussed as causative agents of various diseases including cancers...
- Cross-talk of the environment with the host genome and the immune system through endogenous retroviruses in systemic lupus erythematosusM Blank
Center for Autoimmune Diseases, an Department of Medicine B, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Lupus 18:1136-43. 2009Environmental factors are capable of triggering the expression of human endogenous retroviruses and induce an autoimmune response...
- T cell responses to human endogenous retroviruses in HIV-1 infectionKeith E Garrison
Division of Experimental Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 3:e165. 2007Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are remnants of ancient infectious agents that have integrated into the human genome. Under normal circumstances, HERVs are functionally defective or controlled by host factors...
- Identification of human endogenous retrovirus-specific T cell responses in vertically HIV-1-infected subjectsRavi Tandon
Division of Experimental Medicine, University of California San Francisco, Department of Medicine, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Virol 85:11526-31. 2011..These data indicate that HERV-specific T cells may participate in controlling HIV-1 replication and that certain highly conserved HERV-derived proteins may serve as promising therapeutic vaccine targets in HIV-1-infected children...
- Potential mechanisms of endogenous retroviral-mediated genomic instability in human cancerM T Romanish
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Semin Cancer Biol 20:246-53. 2010..knowledge of the origin, retrotranspositional activity, epigenetic state, and transcription of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), and then discuss the potential effects of their deregulation in cancer...
- Cloning and characterization of the antiviral activity of feline Tetherin/BST-2Aiko Fukuma
Department of Emerging Infectious Diseases, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e18247. 2011....
- Cerebellum-specific and age-dependent expression of an endogenous retrovirus with intact coding potentialKang Hoon Lee
Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
Retrovirology 8:82. 2011b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs), including murine leukemia virus (MuLV) type-ERVs (MuLV-ERVs), are presumed to occupy ~10% of the mouse genome...
- Demographic histories of ERV-K in humans, chimpanzees and rhesus monkeysCamila M Romano
Laboratory of Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics, Department of Microbiology, Biomedical Sciences Institute ICBII, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
PLoS ONE 2:e1026. 2007We detected 19 complete endogenous retroviruses of the K family in the genome of rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta; RhERV-K) and 12 full length elements in the genome of the common chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes; CERV-K)...
- Retroviral RNA identified in the cerebrospinal fluids and brains of individuals with schizophreniaH Karlsson
Stanley Division of Developmental Neurovirology, Department of Pediatrics, and Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:4634-9. 2001..or schizoaffective disorder were related to those of the human endogenous retroviral (HERV)-W family of endogenous retroviruses and to other retroviruses in the murine leukemia virus genus...
- Reduced expression of human endogenous retrovirus (HERV)-W GAG protein in the cingulate gyrus and hippocampus in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depressionS Weis
Laboratory of Brain Research and Neuropathology, Departments of Psychiatry and Pathology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, and Stanley Medical Research Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Neural Transm 114:645-55. 2007..The causes and biological consequences of this differential regulation will be the subject of further investigations...
- Human endogenous retroviral pol RNA and protein detected and identified in the blood of individuals with schizophreniaWen Jie Huang
College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, People s Republic of China
Schizophr Res 83:193-9. 2006..Further characterization of retroviral elements in subjects with schizophrenia may aid in better diagnosis and treatment of this disorder...
- Parallel germline infiltration of a lentivirus in two Malagasy lemursClément Gilbert
Department of Biology, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000425. 2009..The study sets the stage for an unprecedented opportunity to reconstruct an ancestral primate lentivirus and thereby advance our knowledge of host-virus interactions...
- Expression analyses of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs): tissue-specific and developmental stage-dependent expression of HERVsGoichi Okahara
Department of Molecular Biology, Ryukyu University School of Medicine, 207 Uehara, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
Genomics 84:982-90. 2004The evolutional and biological roles of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) are less recognized compared to those of L1...
- Monocyte activation and differentiation augment human endogenous retrovirus expression: implications for inflammatory brain diseasesJ B Johnston
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ann Neurol 50:434-42. 2001Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) have been implicated as causative agents in diseases characterized by inflammation and macrophage activation, such as multiple sclerosis...
- Evidence for genomic rearrangements mediated by human endogenous retroviruses during primate evolutionJ F Hughes
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology and Program in Genetics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Nat Genet 29:487-9. 2001Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), which are remnants of past retroviral infections of the germline cells of our ancestors, make up as much as 8% of the human genome and may even outnumber genes...
- The evolutionary dynamics of human endogenous retroviral familiesNorbert Bannert
Robert Koch Institute, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 7:149-73. 2006....
- Elevated levels of human endogenous retrovirus-W transcripts in blood cells from patients with first episode schizophreniaY Yao
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Genes Brain Behav 7:103-12. 2008..05) in the patients compared with the controls. Thus, studies aiming to further understanding of complex human disease such as schizophrenia may need to be extended beyond the strictly protein-coding fraction of the transcriptome...
- Human endogenous retroviruses in the primate lineage and their influence on host genomesJ Mayer
Department of Human Genetics, Medical Faculty, University of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Cytogenet Genome Res 110:448-56. 2005..After germ line fixation, continued activity of proviruses resulted in intragenomic spread of so-called endogenous retroviruses (ERVs)...
- The replicative activity of human endogenous retrovirus K102 (HERV-K102) with HIV viremiaMarian P Laderoute
Bloodborne Pathogens Section, Blood Safety Surveillance and Healthcare Acquired Infections Division, Centre for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
AIDS 21:2417-24. 2007..To address the activation and replicative activity of HERV-K102 in vivo associated with HIV viremia...
- Endogenous retroviruses as potential hazards for vaccinesTakayuki Miyazawa
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin Kawaracho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biologicals 38:371-6. 2010Retroviruses are classified as exogenous or endogenous according to their mode of transmission. Generally, endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are not pathogenic in their original hosts; however, some ERVs induce diseases...
- Experimental polymicrobial peritonitis-associated transcriptional regulation of murine endogenous retrovirusesKiho Cho
Burn Research, Shriners Hospitals for Children Northern California, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Shock 32:147-58. 2009..We investigated whether expression of murine endogenous retroviruses (MuERVs), constituting approximately 10% of the mouse genome, is differentially regulated in response to ..
- A novel gene from the human endogenous retrovirus K expressed in transformed cellsVivienne Armbruester
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Abteilung Virologie, Geb 47, Universitatskliniken des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar D 66421, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 8:1800-7. 2002..We investigated the expression of human endogenous retrovirus K (HERV-K) transcripts in various tumor tissues and transformed cell lines...
- Role of endogenous retroviruses in murine SLELucie Baudino
Department of Pathology and Immunology, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Autoimmun Rev 10:27-34. 2010..produced in murine SLE are nucleic acid-protein complexes and the envelope glycoprotein gp70 of endogenous retroviruses. Recent studies have revealed that the innate receptor TLR7 plays a pivotal role in the development of a ..
- Contamination of infectious RD-114 virus in vaccines produced using non-feline cell linesRokusuke Yoshikawa
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin Kawaracho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biologicals 39:33-7. 2011..To exclude RD-114 virus from live attenuated vaccines, we must pay attention to the contamination of seed viruses with RD-114 virus in addition to avoiding feline cell lines producing RD-114 virus when manufacturing vaccines...
- ERV-L elements: a family of endogenous retrovirus-like elements active throughout the evolution of mammalsL Benit
Unité des rétrovirus endogènes et éléments rétroïdes des eucaryotes supérieurs, CNRS UMR 1573, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif, France
J Virol 73:3301-8. 1999..Phylogenetic analyses allowed the establishment of a plausible evolutionary scheme for ERV-L elements, which accounts for the high level of sequence conservation and the widespread dispersion among mammals...
- RETROVIRAL ETIOLOGY OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2002..of 3 novel clones tested to data are not unique to PBC patients, suggesting that they may be derived from endogenous retroviruses. Also, we have conducted Western blot studies which reveal that approximately 74 percent of PBC patients ..
- Genome Sequencer FLX InstrumentANNE VIRGINIA KANE; Fiscal Year: 2010..regulation of craniofacial skeletal and tooth development and regeneration as well as a search for endogenous retroviruses in cancer tissue will depend on its unique transcriptome sequencing and analysis capability...
- Endogenous Retroviruses and the Immune Response to PathogensJAQUELIN PAGE DUDLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..At least some of the endogenous retroviruses are transcribed and translated into proteins, but the functional consequences are unclear...
- The in vivo function of A3A and A3G during retrovirus infectionSpyridon Stavrou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mammalian genomes are also under constant threat by endogenous retroviruses and retroelements...
- The Viral Life Cycle of Human Endogenous Retrovirus Type KDerek Dube; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) comprise over 8% of the human genome, accounting for more than twice the percentage of the genome encoding all known genes...
- XV International Conference on Human Retrovirology: HTLV and Related VirusesEdward L Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2011..Due to exciting discoveries in these fields, the conference will include a new session on the human endogenous retroviruses, foamy viruses and XMRV...
- Determining the role of human endogenous retroviruses (HERV) in HIV-1 infectionDevi SenGupta; Fiscal Year: 2013..San Francisco (UCSF), who is establishing herself as a young investigator studying the role of human endogenous retroviruses (HERV-K(HML-2)) in HIV infection...
- Endogenous Retroviruses and Placental MorphogenesisThomas E Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research proposal specifically focuses on the biological roles of endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) in conceptus development and placental morphogenesis...
- Role of HIV-1 Tat in the activation of HERV-K and development of HIV-1-lymphomaMARTA JEANNETTE GONZALEZ-HERNANDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..Recently, our group has generated data suggesting a potential role for one of the human endogenous retroviruses, HERV-K, in the pathogenesis of HIV-related lymphoma...
- The Significance of Polymorphic Endogenous Retroviruses to Human Mental HealthJULIA HALO WILDSCHUTTE; Fiscal Year: 2010Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) result from the integration of retroviral DMA into germ cells. The HERV-K(HML-2) proviruses represent the most recently integrated HERV group...
- Genome stability function of APOBEC3 retroviral restriction factorsLUBBERTUS C MULDER; Fiscal Year: 2012..genomic instability and malignancies because it lifts the natural inhibition on productive replication of endogenous retroviruses. Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) occupy a remarkable portion of the human genome...
- Exploring and Exploiting APOBEC3G BiologyWarner Greene; Fiscal Year: 2009..stages of embryo development and to assess whether A3 functions as a late acting deterrent of specific endogenous retroviruses that are active in embryonic stem cells...
- Replication of Human Endogenous Retroviruses in Modern HumansDAVID MICHAEL MARKOVITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..Actively replicating endogenous retroviruses entered the human genome millions of years ago and became a stable part of the inherited genetic material,..
- RETROVIRUS EVOLUTIONJohn M Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2013..What are the functional and pathogenic properties of human endogenous retroviruses, particularly HERV-K? Are any of these elements still active and capable of replication and integration ..
- A singular opportunity to determine the evolutionary genetics of retroviral invasALFRED LOUIS ROCA; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) comprise ca...
- Human Endogenous Retroviral Sequences, a Tool to Study the Role of Centromeres inRAFAEL ALEJANDRO CONTRERAS-GALINDO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sequences, a Tool to Study the Role of Centromeres in Human Cancer" will investigate the sequences of endogenous retroviruses in the centromeres of the human genome, which are currently unavailable in the world's genome ..
- FUNCTION OF SEX SPECIFIC EXONS IN DNMT1 GENETimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2002..somatic cells by clonal inheritance; disruption of methylation patterns causes fulminating expression of endogenous retroviruses, ectopic X inactivation, biallelic expression of imprinted genes, and death of differentiating cells...
- NATURE OF HIV-RELATED GENETIC SEQUENCES IN HUMAN DNAANTHONY FARAS; Fiscal Year: 1991..little as 60-70% homology to the probes employed, we have identified novel families of distantly related endogenous retroviruses in a variety of vertebrate species from avian to primate, including man...
- COMPUTER BASED SEQUENCE ANALYSIS AND RNA VIRUS EVOLUTIONMARCELLA MCCLURE; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Endogenous retroviruses have been associated with a variety of diseases such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and ..
- DETECTING AND MAPPING SEQUENCE CHANGES IN DNARosemary Elliott; Fiscal Year: 1990..We also plan to use flanking regions to endogenous retroviruses which we will clone for genomic libraries of DNA from C57BL mouse strains...
- RNA DIRECTED DNA POLYMERASE & 70S RNA OF ONCORNAVIRUSESANTHONY FARAS; Fiscal Year: 1993..work on the nature of retrovirus- related structures present in cell types previously purported to lack endogenous retroviruses. We have recently demonstrated that several species of avian cells previously thought to lack avian ..
- Placental Endogenous Retrovirus ExpressionNeal Rote; Fiscal Year: 2004..A small number of organs express endogenous retroviruses under physiologic conditions; the human placenta is one of these...
- LOWER INFECTIOUS RISK DONOR PIGS FOR XENOTRANSPLANTATIONClive Patience; Fiscal Year: 2000..Retroviruses fall into this category. Endogenous retroviruses form a normal part of the genomic DNA of all pig cells and thus can not be removed by techniques such as ..
- ERV-9 IN THE BETA-GLOBIN LOCUS CONTROL REGIONDorothy Tuan; Fiscal Year: 2002The ERV-9 LTRs of human endogenous retroviruses are middle repetitive DNAs that contain unusual sequence features in the U3 enhancer region...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF RETROVIRUSESJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2000..and the role and power of selective influences in molding the viral genome; 4) The evolution of endogenous retroviruses and the use of these elements to study genetics and evolution of their hosts; 5) The role of superantigen ..
- XENOGENEIC INFECTION RISK WITH ISLET TRANSPLANTATIONDaniel Salomon; Fiscal Year: 2002..Recent evidence demonstrates that all pigs contain porcine endogenous retroviruses (PoERV)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF CANCERJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 1992..Dr. J. Coffin will study the inheritance and expression of endogenous retroviruses important in murine leukemia. Dr. R...
- Genetic and Immunological Impact of the HRES-1/Rab4 Locus in SLEAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2008..Under Specific Aim 3, we will test the hypothesis that the HindIIIG653C allele, alone or in combination with other genetic factors of lupus-associated haplotypes, enhances the expression of HRES-1/Rab4. ..
- Endogenous retroviruses and gene regulation after injuryKiho Cho; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are permanently incorporated into the germline and they constitute -8 % and -10 % of the human and ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF TRANSALDOLASEAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed studies with the availability of unique reagents and existing model systems will further our knowledge on the role of TAL in the PPP, apoptosis signaling, and related disease processes. ..
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in patients with SLEAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, checkpoints of mitochondrial hyperpolarization could represent novel targets of pharmacological intervention in patients with SLE. ..
- MECHANISMS REGULATING UTERINE MORPHOGENESISThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Inhibition of HIV by Novel Chimeric ReceptorsJonathan Allan; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this strategy will have broad applications in immunotherapy and immune reconstitution against HIV-1. ..
- Oncogenesis In Retrovirus-Induced Lung CancerMassimo Palmarini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The completion of these experiments will clarify the molecular mechanisms of JSRV-induced pulmonary carcinogenesis and might furnish an intellectual framework to unravel the pathogenesis of some forms of human lung cancer. ..
- Determinants of Natural Host Resistance to SIV agmJonathan Allan; Fiscal Year: 2005..In summary, this proposal seeks to understand the role of coreceptor expression, viral replication and cellular immunity in the pathogenesis of SIV. ..
- Genetic Regulation of Postnatal Uterine Morphogenesis and FunctionThomas Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will help determine important genes for reproduction and help to design clinical therapies to prevent, identify and treat reproductive problems in women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATION AND TUMORIGENESIS BY MMTVJAQUELIN DUDLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, mutations of Cux and SATB1 binding sites and MMTV Sag will be introduced into a full-length infectious MMTV provirus in order to evaluate the role of these elements in the induction of T-cell lymphoma. ..
- Retrotransposons as site-specific gene delivery vectorsJOHN GOODIER; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, I will assay in cell culture the efficiency of the L1 at integrating increasing lengths of exogenous DNA. ..
- NEURAL CONTROL OF A MOTOR PROGRAMJames Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will also continue genetic screens to identify additional potential targets. ..
- Evolution of Human C-cluster EnterovirusesEckard Wimmer; Fiscal Year: 2003..To assess this scenario we propose to establish a model system to test possibilities of speciation of C-cluster enteroviruses. ..
- EUROPIC america 2002: a conference for picornavirusesEckard Wimmer; Fiscal Year: 2002..The over will discuss the difficulties (circulation of vaccine strains, recent outbreak of poliomyelitis in the Western Hemisphere) that have emerged during the current, historic effect to globally eradicate poliovirus. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN UTERINE NK CELLSAshley Moffett; Fiscal Year: 2004..It could lead to novel therapeutic approaches in a wide range of disorders including infertility, miscarriage, disorders due to defective placentation (pre-eclampsia and IUGR) and menstrual disorders. ..
- HIV/AIDS Intravirion Reverse Transcription and VirucidesHui Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies are also designed to move analysis of intravirion reverse transcription from the bench towards clinical utility in altering sexual transmission of human lentiviruses. ..
- Structure and Function of IRES ElementsEckard Wimmer; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will investigate the molecular reason for this attenuation. Finally, we will determine whether we can exchange viral IRESs also IRESs of cellular mRNA. ..
- Densoviruses as Transducing VectorsJonathan Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2005..This should provide valuable data for the eventual use of these viruses to control vector populations and vector-borne disease. ..
- XENOGENEIC BIOARTIFICAL LIVERScott L Nyberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Demonstration of efficacy in a pre-clinical model of FHF, as proposed in this application, will provide a basis for future clinical trials of the spheroid reservoir BAL. ..
- Proteogenomic Analysis of C. elegansJames Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2007..elegans proteome and a high-throughput pipeline that will allow similar analysis of any complex animal or plant proteome whose genome sequence is available. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Variations of Complement in Immunity and DiseasesCHACK YU; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Therapy Core CentersArthur Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Bridges to the Doctorate in Reproductive BiologyFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Poliovirus Receptor and Poliovirus PathogenesisEckard Wimmer; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- OVINE INTERFERON-TAU REGULATES UTERINE HORMONE RECEPTORFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Reproduction of Transgenic Pigs by Nuclear TransplantationRandall S Prather; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim is to determine the methylation profile and transcriptional profile of two different types of stem cells as compared to fetal-derived fibroblast-like cells. ..
- RETROVIRUS EVOLUTIONJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cytidine deaminase and HIV-1 replicationHui Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that these alternative but complementary approaches would enrich our knowledge regarding this anti-viral defense system. The research result from these projects will lead to find a novel strategy to combat HIV-1 replication. ..
- Role of HIV-1 VIF in Assembly of the RT ComplexHui Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..these focused and interrelating experiments will allow precise analyses of the molecular mechanism(s) of Vif protein in the assembly of RT machinery, and determine the effects of vif gene on HIV-1 pathogenesis in vivo ..
- Integration and Expression of Retrovirus DNAJohn Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2005..role of the integration site in the level of transcription of the integrated provirus? In particular, what is the basis for "position effects" leading to clone-to-clone variation in expression of integrated proviruses? ..