Summary: A genus of trees in the VERBENACEAE (sometimes classified in the LAMIACEAE) family containing assorted flavonoids with possible analgesic and antineoplastic properties. The fruit of these trees is used in herbal preparations.
Publications168 found, 100 shown here
- Isolation, characterization and biological activity of betulinic acid and ursolic acid from Vitex negundo LC Chandramu
Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Phytother Res 17:129-34. 2003..3), and ursolic acid (2beta-hydroxyurs-12-en-28-oic acid) (4), were isolated for the first time from leaves of Vitex negundo L...
- Tracheospasmolytic activity of viteosin-A and vitexicarpin isolated from vitex trifoliaGemini Alam
Planta Med 68:1047-9. 2002..3 x 10(-5) M. The result suggests that vitexicarpin is able to block effects of histamine released from sensitized mast cells possibly by stabilizing the mast cells membrane function...
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of mature fresh leaves of Vitex negundoM G Dharmasiri
Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, 3, Colombo, Sri Lanka
J Ethnopharmacol 87:199-206. 2003..study confirmed the oral anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antihistamine properties of mature fresh leaves (MFL) of Vitex negundo L. (Verbenaceae) claimed in the Ayurveda medicine by orally treating a water extract of the leaves to rats...
- An experimental evaluation of anticonvulsant activity of Vitex-negundoV R Tandon
Post Graduate Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Govt Medical College, Jammu 180 001
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 49:199-205. 2005..rats and pentylenetetarazole (PTZ) induced seizures in albino mice were used to study anticonvulsant activity of Vitex-negundo leaf extract...
- Vitex negundo modulates selenite-induced opacification and cataractogensis in rat pupsB N Rooban
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram, 695581 Kerala, India
Biol Trace Elem Res 138:282-92. 2010..The goal of this study was to determine the efficacy of Vitex negundo in modulating the selenite-induced oxidative stress in vivo model...
- Evaluation of leaf extracts of Vitex negundo L. (Family: Verbenaceae) against larvae of Culex tritaeniorhynchus and repellent activity on adult vector mosquitoesKaliyaperumal Karunamoorthi
Unit of Vector Biology and Control, School of Environmental Health Science, Faculty of Public Health, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia
Parasitol Res 103:545-50. 2008Petroleum ether (60-80 degrees C) extracts of the leaves of Vitex negundo (Verbenaceae) were evaluated for larvicidal activity against larval stages of Culex tritaeniorhynchus in the laboratory. Larvae of C...
- Inhibition of melanogenesis versus antioxidant properties of essential oil extracted from leaves of Vitex negundo Linn and chemical composition analysis by GC-MSHuey Chun Huang
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, China Medical University, No 91 Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung City 40402, Taiwan
Molecules 17:3902-16. 2012..negundo Linn leaves decreased melanin production in B16F10 melanoma cells and showed potent antioxidant activities. The essential oil can thereby serve as an inhibitor of melanin synthesis and could also act as a natural antioxidant...
- Mosquito larvicidal activity of methyl-p-hydroxybenzoate isolated from the leaves of Vitex trifolia LinnK Kannathasan
Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Acta Trop 120:115-8. 2011..In the present study, a crystalline compound methyl-p-hydroxybenzoate was isolated from the methanol extract of Vitex trifolia leaves and it was identified by (1)H and (13)C NMR and single crystal X-ray diffractometer...
- Estrogen-like activity of volatile components from Vitex rotundifolia LYuan Hu
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Indian J Med Res 126:68-72. 2007The fruits of Vitex rotundifolia L. are used as a traditional medicine in China. Dried fruits of V. rotundifolia (rich in essential oils) have been known to show strong estrogenic activity...
- Snake venom neutralization by Indian medicinal plants (Vitex negundo and Emblica officinalis) root extractsM I Alam
Department of Physiology, Acharya Shri Chander College of Medical Sciences and Hospital, Sidhra, Jammu 180006, India
J Ethnopharmacol 86:75-80. 2003The methanolic root extracts of Vitex negundo Linn. and Emblica officinalis Gaertn. were explored for the first time for antisnake venom activity. The plant (V. negundo and E...
- Anti-microfilarial activity of methanolic extract of Vitex negundo and Aegle marmelos and their phytochemical analysisK N Sahare
P G Department of Microbiology and Rajiv Gandhi Biotechnology Centre, RTM, Nagpur University, Nagpur 440 033, India
Indian J Exp Biol 46:128-31. 2008In the present study, methanolic extracts of roots of Vitex negundo L. and extracts of leaves of Vitex negundo L., Ricinus communis L. and Aegle marmelos Corr...
- Cytotoxic flavone analogues of vitexicarpin, a constituent of the leaves of Vitex negundoFredyc Diaz
Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Nat Prod 66:865-7. 2003Bioassay-guided fractionation of the chloroform-soluble extract of the leaves of Vitex negundo led to the isolation of the known flavone vitexicarpin (1), which exhibited broad cytotoxicity in a human cancer cell line panel...
- alpha-Chymotrypsin inhibition studies on the lignans from Vitex negundo LinnMuhammad Arif Lodhi
Dr Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 23:400-5. 2008The lignans (1-8) isolated from the roots of Vitex negundo Linn. were screened against the serine proteases alpha-chymotrypsin, thrombin and prolyl endopeptidase...
- A Vitex agnus-castus extract inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in prostate epithelial cell linesM Weisskopf
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Schonbeinstrasse 40, 4003 Basel, Switzerland
Planta Med 71:910-6. 2005Extracts of Vitex agnus-castus fruits (VACF) are described to have beneficial effects on disorders related to hyperprolactinemia (cycle disorders, premenstrual syndrome)...
- Activation of the mu-opiate receptor by Vitex agnus-castus methanol extracts: implication for its use in PMSD E Webster
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, 833 South Woods Street, Room 335, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 106:216-21. 2006The dried ripe fruit of Vitex agnus-castus L. (VAC) is widely used for the treatment of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Vascular protective role of vitexicarpin isolated from Vitex rotundifolia in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsSo Min Lee
College of Oriental Medicine and Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Chonbuk 570 749, Republic of Korea
Inflammation 35:584-93. 2012..Recent pharmacological studies have demonstrated that vitexicarpin, a flavonoid isolated from Vitex rotundifolia, has anti-inflammatory, antitumor, and analgesic properties...
- Reproduction in male rats is vulnerable to treatment with the flavonoid-rich seed extracts of Vitex negundoSuwagmani Das
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee 247 667, Uttaranchal, India
Phytother Res 18:8-13. 2004A partially purified flavonoid-rich extract was prepared from the seed of Vitex negundo. The effect of this extract on the reproductive system of male rats was investigated at four different concentrations...
- Larvicidal activity of fatty acid methyl esters of Vitex species against Culex quinquefasciatusKrishnan Kannathasan
Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 103:999-1001. 2008The larvicidal activity of fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) extracts of Vitex altissima, Vitex negundo and Vitex trifolia was studied against early fourth-instar larvae of Culex quinquefasciatus...
- Enzyme inhibiting lignans from Vitex negundo- Azhar-Ul-Haq
International Centre for Chemical Sciences, H E J Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 52:1269-72. 2004..The structures of the new compounds were established through spectral studies. Compound 2 showed potent inhibitory activity against lipoxygenase enzyme, while 5 showed moderate activity against butyryl-cholinesterase...
- New norditerpenoids with trypanocidal activity from Vitex trifoliaFumiyuki Kiuchi
Tsukuba Medicinal Plant Research Station, National Institute of Health Sciences, Hachiman dai, Tsukuba, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 52:1492-4. 2004Trypanocidal constituents of the fruits of Vitex trifolia were investigated...
- [Vitexicarpin, a flavonoid from Vitex trifolia L., induces apoptosis in K562 cells via mitochondria-controlled apoptotic pathway]Hai Yan Wang
Tianjin Institute for Biomedicinal Research, Tianjin 300384, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 40:27-31. 2005..To investigate the inhibitory effect of vitexicarpin on the proliferation of human cancer cells and its mechanism of action...
- Human gastric signet ring carcinoma (KATO-III) cell apoptosis induced by Vitex agnus-castus fruit extract through intracellular oxidative stressKunio Ohyama
Department of Clinical Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0355, Japan
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:1496-510. 2005We have previously reported that an ethanol extract of the dried ripe fruit of Vitex agnus-castus (Vitex) displays cytotoxic activity against certain kinds of human cancer cell line resulting in the induction of apoptosis...
- Hepatoprotective activity of Vitex negundo leaf extract against anti-tubercular drugs induced hepatotoxicityVishal R Tandon
Post Graduate Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Govt Medical College Jammu J and K, 180001 India
Fitoterapia 79:533-8. 2008Hepatoprotective (HP) activity of Vitex negundo (VN) leaf ethanolic extract was investigated against hepatotoxicity (HT) produced by administering a combination of three anti-tubercular drugs isoniazid (INH)-7...
- Pentacyclic triterpenoids and ceramide mediate the vasorelaxant activity of Vitex cienkowskii via involvement of NO/cGMP pathway in isolated rat aortic ringsAlain Bertrand Dongmo
Department of Animal Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Douala, Douala, Cameroon
J Ethnopharmacol 133:204-12. 2011b>Vitex cienkowskii Kotschy & Peyritsch is a deciduous tree, prescribed by Cameroonian traditional healers as one of the most popular plant widely used in many disorders including cardiovascular diseases...
- Antinociceptive activities of the liposoluble fraction from Vitex negundo seedsCheng Jian Zheng
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
Pharm Biol 48:651-8. 2010The antinociceptive activities of the petroleum ether fraction (PEF) from the aqueous ethanol extract of Vitex negundo Linn. (Verbenaceae) seeds have been evaluated in several nociceptive mouse models...
- Antitussive and toxicological evaluation of Vitex negundoRizwan Ul Haq
Institute of Neurophysiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Nat Prod Res 26:484-8. 2012b>Vitex negundo Linn. (Verbenaceae) is used in traditional medical system for respiratory disorders. This study was carried out to investigate its cough-relieving potential. The antitussive effect of the butanolic extract of V...
- Negundoside, an irridiod glycoside from leaves of Vitex negundo, protects human liver cells against calcium-mediated toxicity induced by carbon tetrachlorideSheikh A Tasduq
Experimental Toxicology Lab, Division of Pharmacology, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, CSIR, Canal Road, Jammu 180001, Jammu and Kashmir, India
World J Gastroenterol 14:3693-709. 2008..To evaluate the protective effect of 2'-p-hydroxybenzoylmussaenosidic acid [negundoside (NG), against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced toxicity in HuH-7 cells...
- Vitex agnus castus as prophylaxis for osteopenia after orchidectomy in rats compared with estradiol and testosterone supplementationS Sehmisch
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Georg August University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Phytother Res 23:851-8. 2009..The groups either received soy-free food (C), estradiol (E), testosterone (T) or Vitex agnus castus in different concentrations (AC high/AC low) for 12 weeks...
- Evaluation of the estrogenic activity of the constituents in the fruits of Vitex rotundifolia L. for the potential treatment of premenstrual syndromeYuan Hu
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:1307-12. 2007The ethanol extract of the fruits of Vitex rotundifolia (VRE) and its four major compounds (casticin, luteolin, rotundifuran and agnuside) were tested for their estrogen-like activity by using the modified cell proliferation assay (E-..
- Antiseptic activity and phenolic constituents of the aerial parts of Vitex negundo var. cannabifoliaTie Jun Ling
Key Laboratory of Tea Biochemistry and Biotechnology of Ministry of Education and Ministry of Agriculture, Anhui Agricultural University, 130 West Changjiang Road, Hefei 230036, China
Molecules 15:8469-77. 2010..and isovitexin (5), along with α-tocoquinone (3) and β-sitosterol (6) were isolated from the aerial parts of Vitex negundo var. cannabifolia. The isolation was performed using bio-assay tracking experiments...
- Association between chemical and genetic variation of Vitex rotundifolia populations from different locations in China: its implication for quality control of medicinal plantsYuan Hu
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, People s Republic of China
Biomed Chromatogr 21:967-75. 2007b>Vitex rotundifolia is a widely distributed plant species that has been extensively used in traditional Chinese medicine. Its fruits, Fructus Viticis, are recorded as Manjingzi in the Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China...
- Compounds from Vitex polygama active against kidney diseasesMargareth B C Gallo
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, 13565 905 Sao Carlos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 115:320-2. 2008b>Vitex polygama Cham. (Lamiaceae, formerly Verbenaceae) is a familiar Brazilian species popularly known as Tarumã whose leaf tea has been used by population to treat kidney diseases...
- Activity of aqueous extract of the bark of Vitex doniana on uterine muscle response to drugsOlusola Ladeji
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Jos, Nigeria
Phytother Res 19:804-6. 2005The activity of Vitex doniana on the uterine muscle response was investigated. The bark of Vitex doniana was extracted in boiled water at 100 degrees C, and the extracted solution filtered and centrifuged with refrigeration...
- Antinociceptive activity of Vitex-negundo Linn leaf extractR K Gupta
Department of Pharmacology, M G I M S Sevagram, Wardha 442 102
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 49:163-70. 2005..acid induced writhing in mice were employed to study the antinociceptive activity of ethanolic leaf extract of Vitex-negundo (VN) (100, 250 and 500 mg/kg, p.o)...
- Diterpenoids and flavonoids from the fruits of Vitex agnus-castus and antioxidant activity of the fruit extracts and their constituentsZsuzsanna Hajdú
Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Szeged, H 6720 Szeged, Hungary
Phytother Res 21:391-4. 2007From the n-hexane fraction of the fruits of Vitex agnus-castus, two labdane-type diterpenes, vitetrifolin B and C, were isolated by means of multiple chromatographic separations, together with the previously identified rotundifuran, ..
- Vitex negundo attenuates calpain activation and cataractogenesis in selenite modelsB N Rooban
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Exp Eye Res 88:575-82. 2009..Our present study focuses on the isolation of flavonoids from Vitex negundo and to assess its efficacy in preventing these changes in the lens of selenite-induced cataract models...
- Ecdysteroids from Vitex species: distribution and compilation of their 13C-NMR spectral dataJosé G Sena Filho
Universidade Federal da Paraiba, Laboratorio de Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Caixa Postal 5009, 58051 970, Joao Pessoa, PB, Brazil
Chem Biodivers 5:707-13. 2008..The present work describes the distribution of ecdysteroids in plants from the genus Vitex from a review of previous work on seventeen Vitex species...
- Anti-inflammatory and enzyme inhibitory activities of a crude extract and a pterocarpan isolated from the aerial parts of Vitex agnus-castusBashir Ahmad
Center for Biotechnology and Microbiology University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Pakistan
Biotechnol J 5:1207-15. 2010..benzofuro [3,2-c][1,3]dioxolo[4,5-g]chromen-9-ol was isolated from the ethyl acetate fraction of Vitex agnus-castus...
- Fluoxetine versus Vitex agnus castus extract in the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorderMurad Atmaca
Firat University, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Elazig, Turkey
Hum Psychopharmacol 18:191-5. 2003Clinical trials have demonstrated that serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) and the extract of Vitex agnus castus are effective for the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)...
- Tyrosinase inhibitory lignans from the methanol extract of the roots of Vitex negundo Linn. and their structure-activity relationship- Azhar-Ul-Haq
International Center for Chemical Sciences, H E J Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Phytomedicine 13:255-60. 2006Phytochemical investigation of the methanol extract of Vitex negundo afforded eight lignans; negundin A 1, negundin B 2, 6-hydroxy-4-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxy)-3-hydroxymethyl-7-methoxy-3,4-dihydro-2-naphthaledehyde 3, vitrofolal E 4, (+)-..
- Isolation of linoleic acid as an estrogenic compound from the fruits of Vitex agnus-castus L. (chaste-berry)J Liu
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, UIC NIH Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Phytomedicine 11:18-23. 2004A methanol extract of chaste-tree berry (Vitex agnus-castus L.) was tested for its ability to displace radiolabeled estradiol from the binding site of estrogen receptors alpha (ERalpha) and beta (ERbeta)...
- Vitex agnus castus: a systematic review of adverse eventsClaudia Daniele
Department of Pharmacology of Natural Substances and General Physiology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Drug Saf 28:319-32. 2005b>Vitex agnus castus L. (VAC) [Verbenaceae] is a deciduous shrub that is native to Mediterranean Europe and Central Asia...
- Bioactivity of extracts and isolated compounds from Vitex polygama (Verbenaceae) and Siphoneugena densiflora (Myrtaceae) against Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)Margareth B C Gallo
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos UFSCar, CP 676, 13565 905, Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Pest Manag Sci 62:1072-81. 2006The effects of crude extracts, fractions and isolated compounds from Vitex polygama Cham...
- Evidence for estrogen receptor beta-selective activity of Vitex agnus-castus and isolated flavonesHubertus Jarry
Klinische und Experimentelle Endokrinologie, Universitätsfrauenklinik Göttingen, Gottingen, Germany
Planta Med 69:945-7. 2003Recent cell culture experiments indicated that extracts of Vitex agnus-castus (VAC) may contain yet unidentified phytoestrogens. Estrogenic actions are mediated via estrogen receptors (ER)...
- [Effectiveness of Vitex agnus-castus preparations]C Gorkow
Medizinischen Forschung von Bionorica AG, Kerschensteinerstrasse 11 15, D 92318 Neumarkt Opf, Deutschland
Wien Med Wochenschr 152:364-72. 2002..The success rates on fertility disorders should be confirmed in controlled double-blind studies (10, 33, 34)...
- G2-M arrest and antimitotic activity mediated by casticin, a flavonoid isolated from Viticis Fructus (Vitex rotundifolia Linne fil.)Junko Kobayakawa
Hyogo Institute for Oriental Medicine, Higashidaimotsu cho, Hyogo 660 0828, Japan
Cancer Lett 208:59-64. 2004..Further examinations are required to confirm that casticin is an antitumor drug for specific cancers with low toxicity...
- Extract of the seeds of the plant Vitex agnus castus proven to be highly efficacious as a repellent against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes and biting fliesHeinz Mehlhorn
Department of Cytology, Zoomorphology and Parasitology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Parasitol Res 95:363-5. 2005..It was found that a CO2 extract of the seeds of the Mediterranean plant Vitex agnus castus (monk's pepper) can be used as a spray to keep away especially Ixodes ricinus and Rhipicephalus ..
- Pharmacological activities of Vitex agnus-castus extracts in vitroB Meier
Zeller AG, Herbal Medicinal Products, Romanshorn, Switzerland
Phytomedicine 7:373-81. 2000The pharmacological effects of ethanolic Vitex agnus-castus fruit-extracts (especially Ze 440) and various extract fractions of different polarities were evaluated both by radioligand binding studies and by superfusion experiments...
- Vitex agnus castus essential oil and menopausal balance: a research update [Complementary Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery 8 (2003) 148-154]Barbara Chopin Lucks
Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery 9:157-60. 2003The first trial of two essential oils (derived separately from leaf and fruit) of Vitex agnus castus for menopausal balance was conducted in the summer of 2000 by the author...
- Hypericum perforatum with Vitex agnus-castus in menopausal symptoms: a randomized, controlled trialM Diana van Die
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, Victoria, Australia
Menopause 16:156-63. 2009To evaluate the effectiveness of a phytotherapeutic intervention comprising a combination of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) and Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste tree/berry) in the management of menopausal symptoms.
- Effects of a combination of Hypericum perforatum and Vitex agnus-castus on PMS-like symptoms in late-perimenopausal women: findings from a subpopulation analysisMargaret Diana van Die
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
J Altern Complement Med 15:1045-8. 2009....
- Chaste tree (Vitex agnus-castus)--pharmacology and clinical indicationsW Wuttke
Department of Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Phytomedicine 10:348-57. 2003Extracts of the fruits of chaste tree (Vitex agnus castus = AC) are widely used to treat premenstrual symptoms. Double-blind placebo-controlled studies indicate that one of the most common premenstrual symptoms, i.e...
- Cytotoxicity and apoptotic inducibility of Vitex agnus-castus fruit extract in cultured human normal and cancer cells and effect on growthKunio Ohyama
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0355, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:10-8. 2003A crude extract was prepared with ethanol from dried ripened Vitex agnus-castus fruits growing in Israel (Vitex extract)...
- Vitex negundo Linn (VN) leaf extract as an adjuvant therapy to standard anti-inflammatory drugsVishal R Tandon
Postgraduate Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Government Medical College, Jammu, India
Indian J Med Res 124:447-50. 2006Leaves of Vitex negundo (VN) have been investigated for their antiinflammatory activity in past, including its mechanism of action. However, nobody has evaluated its potential role as an adjuvant with standard anti-inflammatory therapy...
- An integrative medicine approach to premenstrual syndromeAndrea Girman
Continuum Center for Health and Healing, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:S56-65. 2003..This review will be relevant to the practicing clinician seeking to become aware of and to understand the relevance of the complementary/alternative therapies being used by his/her patients for PMS and PMDD...
- Iridoids with anti-inflammatory activity from Vitex peduncularisA Suksamrarn
Department of Chemistry, Ramkhamhaeng University, Bangkok, Thailand
Planta Med 68:72-3. 2002A new iridoid, pedunculariside, together with the known iridoid agnuside were isolated from the butanol extract of Vitex peduncularis stem bark...
- New antifungal flavonoid glycoside from Vitex negundoB Sathiamoorthy
Medicinal and Process Chemistry Division, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226 001, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:239-42. 2007..Our bioactivity guided fractionation of ethanolic extract of leaves of Vitex negundo resulted in the isolation of new flavone glycoside (4) along with five known compounds 1-3, 5 and 6...
- Evaluation of five medicinal plants used in diarrhoea treatment in NigeriaAbdulkarim Agunu
Department of Pharmacognosy and Drug Development, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 101:27-30. 2005Five medicinal plants [Acacia nilotica, Acanthospermun hispidum, Gmelina arborea, Parkia biglobosa and Vitex doniana] used in diarrhoeal treatment in Kaduna State, Nigeria, were investigated...
- Insecticidal activity of Vitex mollisV Rodríguez-López
Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Avenida Universidad 1001, Colonia Chamilpa, Cuernavaca Morelos 6209, Mexico
Fitoterapia 78:37-9. 2007Organic extracts from the leaves of Vitex mollis were assessed for their toxic effect on fall armyworm neonate larvae (Spodoptera frugiperda), an important insect pest of corn...
- Vitex agnus castus might enrich the pharmacological armamentarium for medical treatment of prolactinomaGianluca Tamagno
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 135:139-40. 2007
- Antitoxin activity of plants used in Mexican traditional medicine against scorpion poisoningJ E Jiménez-Ferrer
Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica del Sur, Argentina 1, 62790 Xochitepec, Morelos, Mexico
Phytomedicine 12:116-22. 2005..The aim of this work was to evaluate the effect of Bouvardia ternifolia, Aristolochia elegans and Vitex mollis extracts on Centruroides limpidus limpidus venom lethality in mice, and to determine their antagonist ..
- A prolactinoma masked by a herbal remedyJoseph Gallagher
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 137:257-8. 2008
- Anti-nociceptive and anti-hyperprolactinemia activities of Fructus Viticis and its effective fractions and chemical constituentsY Hu
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Phytomedicine 14:668-74. 2007b>Vitex rotundifolia L. is widely distributed along the sea coast of China...
- Phyto-Female Complex for the relief of hot flushes, night sweats and quality of sleep: randomized, controlled, double-blind pilot studyCarmela Rotem
Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Gynecol Endocrinol 23:117-22. 2007....
- Effects of luteolin on the inhibition of proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human myeloid leukaemia cellsW G Ko
College of Pharmacy and Medicinal Resources Research Center, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Jeonbuk, Korea
Phytother Res 16:295-8. 2002Luteolin, a flavonoid isolated from the fruit of Vitex rotundifolia, has been examined with regard to the inhibition of proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human myeloid leukaemia HL-60 cells...
- Effect of crude extract and fractions from Vitex megapotamica leaves on hyperglycemia in alloxan-diabetic ratsLeila Zanatta
Departamento de Bioquimica, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Cx Postal 5069, CEP 88040 970 Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 109:151-5. 2007The effect of the crude extract, ethyl acetate and n-butanol fractions from Vitex megapotamica (Spreng) Moldenke on glycemia was investigated in diabetic rats...
- Phenolic compounds and flavonoids as plant growth regulators from fruit and leaf of Vitex rotundifoliaTakeo Yoshioka
Course of Applied Resource Science, The United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences, Tottori University, Koyama, Tottori shi, Tottori 680 8553, Japan
Z Naturforsch C 59:509-14. 2004..6), luteolin (7), vitexicarpin (8) and artemetin (9), were isolated from fruits and leaves of Vitex rotundifolia L...
- Two new lignan glucosides from the fruit of Vitex cannabifoliaToru Yamasaki
School of Agriculture, Kyushu Tokai University, 5435 Minamiaso, Aso, Kumamoto, 869 1404, Japan
J Nat Med 62:47-51. 2008..phenyldihydronaphthalene-type lignan glucosides, vitecannasides A (1) and B (2) were isolated from the fruit of Vitex cannabifolia Sieb. et. Zucc...
- Herbs commonly used by women: an evidence-based reviewBonnie J Tesch
Dis Mon 48:671-96. 2002..To review the evidence of herbs commonly used by women...
- The effects of phytoestrogens on fracture healing: experimental research in New Zealand white rabbitsAlpaslan Oztürk
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Bursa High Speciality Research and Training Hospital, Bursa, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 14:21-7. 2008..Phytoestrogens are plant-derived natural molecules having some bone forming and bone substituting effects. In the present study, the role of phytoestrogens on bone healing was investigated in a rabbit fracture model...
- ChasteberryBeatrix Roemheld-Hamm
Department of Family Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
Am Fam Physician 72:821-4. 2005..No herb-drug interactions have been reported, but caution is advised for its concomitant use with dopamine agonists or antagonists. Optimal standardization and dosing recommendations await clarification in clinical studies...
- Effect of biopesticides on the lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) of the rice leaffolder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenée) (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Pyralidae)Sengottayan Senthil Nathan
Department of Environmental Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju City, Chonbuk 561 756, South Korea
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 65:102-7. 2006The effects of bacterial toxins (Bacillus thuringiensis) and botanical insecticides (Azadirachta indica and Vitex negundo) on lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity in Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenée) (the rice leaffolder) were evaluated...
- [Toxicity and oviposition-deterrence of Vitex negundo extracts to Plutella xylostella]Lin Yuan
Department of Entomology, College of Plant Protection, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian 271018, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:695-8. 2006This paper studied the toxicity of dichloromethane-petroleum ether-and methanol extracts from Vitex negundo seed and leaf to the 2nd and 4th instar larvae of Plutella xylostella, and the oviposition-deterrence effects of these extracts ..
- Combined effect of biopesticides on the digestive enzymatic profiles of Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenée) (the rice leaffolder) (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Pyralidae)Sengottayan Senthil Nathan
Department of Environmental Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju City, Chonbuk 561 756, South Korea
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 64:382-9. 2006..A synergistic effect of botanical insecticides and bacterial toxins was found when combined in low doses. These effects are most pronounced in early instars...
- Are extraction methods in quantitative assays of pharmacopoeia monographs exhaustive? A comparison with pressurized liquid extractionCarlos Basalo
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Planta Med 72:1157-62. 2006..PLE was in all cases superior to the extraction protocol of the pharmacopoeia monographs (taken as 100 %), with differences ranging from 108 % in case of parthenolide in Tanaceti herba to 343 % in case of alkaloids in Boldo folium...
- Mutagenicity and antimutagenicity of teas used in popular medicine in the salmonella/microsome assayRubem Cesar Horn
Departamento de Laboratorios, Laboratório de Análises Moleculares e Mutagênese Ambiental, Fundação Estadual de Proteção Ambiental Henrique Luís Roessler, Av Dr Salvador França, 1707, CEP 90690 000 Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Toxicol In Vitro 22:1043-9. 2008..Mutagenic and antimutagenic activities of three plant species, Vitex montevidensis Cham. (Lamiaceae), Gochnatia cordata Less. (Asteraceae) and G...
- Systematic analysis of in vitro photo-cytotoxic activity in extracts from terrestrial plants in Peninsula Malaysia for photodynamic therapyCheng Yi Ong
Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation CARIF, Subang Jaya Medical Centre, 1, Jalan SS12 1A, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
J Photochem Photobiol B 96:216-22. 2009..Entada phaseoloides and Leucaena leucocephala (Leguminosae), Oroxylum indicum (Bignoniaceae), Peronema canescens,Vitex pubescens and Premna odorata (Verbenaceae), Piper mucronatum and Piper sp...
- In vitro screening for the tumoricidal properties of international medicinal herbsElizabeth A Mazzio
College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Florida A and M University, Tallahassee, Florida 32307, USA
Phytother Res 23:385-98. 2009..Berberidaceae) > Dryopteris crassirhizoma (Dryopteridaceae) > Garcinia cambogia (Clusiaceae) > Vitex agnus-castus (Verbenaceae) > Calamus draco (Arecaceae)...
- The evaluation of nitric oxide scavenging activity of certain Indian medicinal plants in vitro: a preliminary studyGanesh Chandra Jagetia
Department of Radiobiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, India
J Med Food 7:343-8. 2004..gt; Phyllanthus niruri > Ocimum sanctum > Tinospora cordifolia (hexane extract) = Coleus ambonicus > Vitex negundo (alcoholic) > T. cordifolia (dichloromethane extract) > T...
- In vitro assay for the anti-Brucella activity of medicinal plants against tetracycline-resistant Brucella melitensisHossein Motamedi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Shahid Chamran University, Ahvaz, Iran
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 11:506-11. 2010..activities of ethanolic and methanolic extracts of Salvia sclarea, Oliveria decumbens, Ferulago angulata, Vitex pseudo-negundo, Teucrium polium, Plantago ovata, Cordia myxa, and Crocus sativus were assessed...
- Phytochemistry and nematicidal activity of the essential oils from 8 Greek Lamiaceae aromatic plants and 13 terpene componentsNikoletta G Ntalli
Pesticide Science Laboratory, Faculty of Agriculture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 58:7856-63. 2010..officinalis , Sideritis clandestina , Origanum dictamnus , Ocimum basilicum , Mentha pulegium , Origanum vulgare , Vitex agnus castus , and Salvia officinalis ...
- Larvicidal potential of medicinal plant extracts against Anopheles subpictus Grassi and Culex tritaeniorhynchus Giles (Diptera: Culicidae)C Kamaraj
Unit of Bioactive Natural Products, P G and Research Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam, 632 509, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 104:1163-71. 2009..Leucas aspera (Willd.), Rhinacanthus nasutus KURZ., Solanum torvum Swartz and Vitex negundo Linn...
- Ability of certain plant extracts traditionally used to treat ciguatera fish poisoning to inhibit nitric oxide production in RAW 264.7 macrophagesShilpa Kumar-Roine
Universite de Toulouse, UPS, UMR 152 Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie des Substances Naturelles et Pharmacophores Redox, 118 Rte de Narbonne, F 31062 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
J Ethnopharmacol 123:369-77. 2009..Many traditional remedies are commonly used in the Pacific against CFP. In this context, bioassay-guided screening was carried out to study NO inhibiting capacity of 28 selected plant extracts...
- Detection of anti-tuberculosis activity in some folklore plants by radiometric BACTEC assayV K Gupta
Department of Microbiology, Sardar Bhagwan Singh PG Institute of Biomedical Sciences and Research, Balawala, Dehradun, Uttrakhand, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 52:33-40. 2011..tuberculosis using radiometric BACTEC assay...
- Metal bioaccumulation in plant leaves from an industrious area and the botanical garden in BeijingYan Ju Liu
Beijing Centre for Physical and Chemical Analysis, Beijing 100089, China
J Environ Sci (China) 17:294-300. 2005..Generally, those species containing strong and moderate accumulation in both sites are considered including Vitex negundo, Broussonetia papyrifera, Ulmus pumila, and Rubia cordifolia...
- Comparative anti-hyperglycemic potentials of medicinal plantsIrene M Villaseñor
Natural Products Research Laboratory, Institute of Chemistry, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City 1101, Philippines
J Ethnopharmacol 104:129-31. 2006..Compositae), Eucalyptus tereticornis Sm. (Myrtaceae), Solanum nigrum Linn. (Solanaceae), and Vitex negundo Linn. (Verbenaceae); stems of Nopalea cochinellifera (Linn...
- Larvicidal efficacy of medicinal plant extracts against Anopheles stephensi and Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae)C Kamaraj
Unit of Bioactive Natural Products, Post Graduate and Research Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam 632 509, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu, India
Trop Biomed 27:211-9. 2010..leaf ethyl acetate of Hydrocotyle javanica, methanol leaf and seed of Solanum torvum and leaf hexane extracts of Vitex negundo against the fourth instar larvae of An. stephensi and Cx. quinquefasciatus...
- [Interspecific association between understory species in a southern highland plantation]Lile Hu
Institute of Applied Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenyang, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:2019-24. 2005..Lespedeza davidii, Serissa serissoides, Vitex negundo var. cannabifolia...
- Evaluation of medicinal plants from Central Kalimantan for antimelanogenesisEnos Tangke Arung
Department of Forest and Forest Products Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8581, Japan
Nat Med (Tokyo) 63:473-80. 2009..bulb), Eusideroxylon zwageri (seed), Dendrophthoe petandra (aerial root), Passiflora foetida (stem), and Vitex pinnata (root) showed DPPH radical-scavenging activity of more than 70% at 100 microg/ml. The extracts of W...
- Casticin, a flavonoid isolated from Vitex rotundifolia, inhibits prolactin release in vivo and in vitroQi Ye
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 31:1564-8. 2010to investigate the anti-hyperprolactinemia activity of casticin, a flavonoid isolated from Vitex rotundifolia, and elucidate its molecular mechanism.
- Total phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and radical scavenging activity of 21 selected tropical plantsR A Mustafa
Food Biotechnology and Functional Food Lab, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Univ Putra Malaysia, Serdang Selangor, Malaysia
J Food Sci 75:C28-35. 2010..High content of quercetin, myricetin, and kaempferol were identified in Vitex negundo, Centella asiatica, and Sesbania grandiflora extracts, respectively...
- [Identification of a new subtype of blaADC produced by Acinetobacter baumannii isolated in children]Rui Zhen Zhao
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Shenzhen Children s Hospital, Shenzhen, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 28:1009-12. 2007..To investigate the genotype of blaADC which was a kind of AmpC produced by Acinetobacter baumannii (AB), isolated through the detection of 28 similar strains among children...
- Selection of woody species for wastewater enhancement and restoration of riparian woodlandsM Adrover
Department of Biology, University of Balearic Islands 07122, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
J Environ Biol 29:357-61. 2008..Nerium oleander, Tamarix africana and Vitex agnus-castus were the species with the greatest final biomass...
- Behavioural responses and changes in biology of rice leaffolder following treatment with a combination of bacterial toxins and botanical insecticidesSengottayan Senthil Nathan
Department of Environmental Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju City, Chonbuk 561 756, Republic of Korea
Chemosphere 64:1650-8. 2006Ingestion of the bacterial toxins Bacillus thuringiensis (Berliner) sub sp kurstaki, neem seed kernel extract and Vitex negundo L...
- Identification of methyl chloride-emitting plants and atmospheric measurements on a subtropical islandYoko Yokouchi
National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16 2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
Chemosphere 69:549-53. 2007..The strongest emitters were Osmunda banksiifolia, Cibotium balometz, Angiopteris palmiformis, Vitex rotundifolia, Vitex trifolia, and Excoecaria agalloch, each with CH3Cl emission rates exceeding 1microg (gdrywt)(-..
- Evaluation of Myanmar medicinal plant extracts for antitrypanosomal and cytotoxic activitiesSaw Bawm
Laboratory of Parasitology, Department of Disease Control, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University
J Vet Med Sci 72:525-8. 2010..6 +/- 1.5 microg/ml and the highest selectivity index of 24.4. The extracts of Brucea javanica, Vitex arborea, Eucalyptus globulus and Jatropha podagrica had also remarkable activity with IC(50) values and ..
- Extraction, separation and isolation of volatiles from Vitex agnus-castus L. (Verbenaceae) wild species of Sardinia, Italy, by supercritical CO2Bruno Marongiu
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Cittadella Universitaria di Monserrato, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Nat Prod Res 24:569-79. 2010Isolation of volatile concentrates from leaves, flowers and fruits of Vitex agnus-castus L. have been obtained by supercritical extraction with carbon dioxide. The composition of the volatile concentrates has been analysed by GC/MS...
- Essential Oil Composition and Antibacterial Studies of Vitex negundo Linn. ExtractsS L Khokra
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra 136 119, India
Indian J Pharm Sci 70:522-6. 2008Essential oils from fresh leaves, flowers and dried fruits of Vitex negundo were obtained by hydrodistillation. Using Soxhlet extractor five successive extracts from dried and powdered leaves were also taken...
- Contrasting seasonal leaf habits of canopy trees between tropical dry-deciduous and evergreen forests in ThailandAtsushi Ishida
Department of Plant Ecology, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8687, Japan
Tree Physiol 26:643-56. 2006..Three canopy trees (Shorea siamensis Miq., Xylia xylocarpa (Roxb.) W. Theob. and Vitex peduncularis Wall...
- Casticin induces leukemic cell death through apoptosis and mitotic catastropheJia Kun Shen
Department of Hematology, Institute of Hematology, Zhejiang University, School of Medicine, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, People s Republic of China
Ann Hematol 88:743-52. 2009Casticin, a component from Vitex rotundifolia, widely used as an anti-inflammatory agent in Chinese traditional medicine, was reported to have anti-tumor activities...
- New diterpenes and norditerpenes from the fruits of Vitex rotundifoliaMasateru Ono
School of Agriculture, Kyushu Tokai University, Choyo 5435, Aso, Kumamoto 869 1404, Japan
J Nat Prod 65:537-41. 2002..and two new norlabdane-type diterpenes, vitexifolin D (4) and vitexifolin E (5), were isolated from the fruits of Vitex rotundifolia, along with a known halimane-type diterpene, vitetrifolin D (6), two known norlabdane-type diterpenes,..
- Effect of Vitex on stress induced luteal phase defectsDorena Rode; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Vitex, a natural plant product, has been shown to be clinically effective in alleviating symptoms in conditions ..
- Molecular mechanisms of Vitex agnus-castus L. in PMSZaijie Jim Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Vitex agnus-castus L. (VAC) fruit extracts have been used since ancient times for the relief of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)...
- Opioid Activity / Standardization of Vitex agnus-castusDONNA WEBSTER; Fiscal Year: 2008The focus of this research is the investigation of molecular mechanisms of opioid activity in an extract of Vitex agnus-castus L. (Chasteberry), used to treat premenstrual syndrome...
- N-3 fatty acid & binding protein MRG on mammary tumorYUENIAN SHI; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will help to identify MRG as mediator for differentiation for mammary gland and for interaction with n-3 PUPA on inhibition of mammary tumorigenesis. ..
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT IN WOMEN'S HEALTH RESEARCH AND GENDE*Ellen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The BIRCWH program will track the career trajectories of Scholars and will continue to serve as a resource in terms of career counseling and research advice. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Core symptoms and profiles in premenstrual syndromeEllen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further information will contribute to improved health care for women in their reproductive years. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDY OF THE LATE REPRODUCTIVE YEARSEllen W Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..