Summary: A plant genus of the family POACEAE which is a source of citronella oil and lemongrass oil.
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- In vivo antimalarial activity of essential oils from Cymbopogon citratus and Ocimum gratissimum on mice infected with Plasmodium bergheiF Tchoumbougnang
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Douala, Douala, Cameroon
Planta Med 71:20-3. 2005The essential oils obtained by hydrodistillation from fresh leaves of Cymbopogon citratus and Ocimum gratissimum growing in Cameroon were analyzed by GC and GC/MS...
- LC determination of citral in Cymbopogon citratus volatile oilCristiane da S Rauber
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, CEP 90160 000 RS, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 37:597-601. 2005..It was the aim of this study to develop and validate a HPLC method for the quantitative determination of citral in Cymbopogon citratus volatile oil. The HPLC assay was performed using a Spherisorb CN column (250 mm x 4...
- The inhibition of Candida albicans by selected essential oils and their major componentsMaria Paola Tampieri
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria e Patologia Animale, Universita di Bologna, Italy
Mycopathologia 159:339-45. 2005..The essential oils of Origanum vulgare, Satureja montana, Mentha piperita, Cinnamomum verum, Cymbopogon flexuosus showed maximum inhibitory activity (MIC = 500 ppm) after 7 days...
- Comparative analysis of the oil and supercritical CO(2) extract of Cymbopogon citratus StapfBruno Marongiu
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Cittadella Universitaria, 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Nat Prod Res 20:455-9. 2006Dried and ground leaves of lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus Stapf.) were used as a matrix for supercritical extraction of essential oil with CO(2)...
- Comparative effects of Cymbopogon schoenanthus essential oil and piperitone on Callosobruchus maculatus developmentGuillaume K Ketoh
Faculty of Sciences, University of Lome B P 1515 Lome, Togo
Fitoterapia 77:506-10. 2006The insecticidal activity of crude essential oil extracted from Cymbopogon schoenanthus and of its main constituent, piperitone, was assessed on different developmental stages of Callosobruchus maculatus...
- In vitro activity of the essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus and its major component (citral) on Leishmania amazonensisMarta Regina Santin
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Maringa, PR, Brazil
Parasitol Res 105:1489-96. 2009Leishmaniasis causes considerable mortality throughout the world, affecting more than 12 million people. Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf, Family Poaceae, is a widely used herb in tropical countries and is also known as a source of ..
- Monoterpenic aldehydes as potential anti-Leishmania agents: activity of Cymbopogon citratus and citral on L. infantum, L. tropica and L. majorM Machado
Faculdade de Farmácia CEF, Universidade de Coimbra, Azinhaga de Santa Comba, 3030 548 Coimbra, Portugal
Exp Parasitol 130:223-31. 2012..leishmaniasis, we study the susceptibility of Leishmania infantum, Leishmania tropica and Leishmania major to Cymbopogon citratus essential oil and major compounds, mrycene and citral. C...
- Effects of essential oils from Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf., Lippia sidoides Cham., and Ocimum gratissimum L. on growth and ultrastructure of Leishmania chagasi promastigotesValéria C S Oliveira
Departamento de Química CCN, Universidade Federal do Piaui, Campus da Ininga s no, 64049 550, Teresina, PI, Brazil
Parasitol Res 104:1053-9. 2009..In this study, we demonstrated the effect of essential oils from Cymbopogon citratus, Lippia sidoides, and Ocimum gratissimum on growth and ultrastructure of Leishmania chagasi ..
- Neurobehavioral effect of essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus in miceM M Blanco
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biosciences, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Caixa Postal 510, 18618 000 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Phytomedicine 16:265-70. 2009Tea obtained from leaves of Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf is used for its anxiolytic, hypnotic and anticonvulsant properties in Brazilian folk medicine...
- The GABAergic system contributes to the anxiolytic-like effect of essential oil from Cymbopogon citratus (lemongrass)Celso A Rodrigues de Almeida Costa
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biosciences, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, P O Box 510, 18618 970 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 137:828-36. 2011The essential oil (EO) from Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf is reported to have a wide range of biological activities and is widely used in traditional medicine as an infusion or decoction...
- In vitro antifungal, anti-elastase and anti-keratinase activity of essential oils of Cinnamomum-, Syzygium- and Cymbopogon-species against Aspergillus fumigatus and Trichophyton rubrumMohd Sajjad Ahmad Khan
Department of Agricultural Microbiology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202002, India
Phytomedicine 19:48-55. 2011This study was aimed to evaluate effects of certain essential oils namely Cinnamomum verum, Syzygium aromaticum, Cymbopogon citratus, Cymbopogon martini and their major components cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, citral and geraniol respectively, ..
- Anti-proliferative effect of the essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf (lemongrass) on intracellular amastigotes, bloodstream trypomastigotes and culture epimastigotes of Trypanosoma cruzi (Protozoa: Kinetoplastida)G F Santoro
Departamento de Ultra estrutura e Biologia Celular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, 21040 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Parasitology 134:1649-56. 2007..However, additional cytotoxicity experiments on different cell lines and tests in a T. cruzi-mouse model are needed to support these data...
- Assessment of antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of Cymbopogon winterianus leaf essential oilBárbara L S Leite
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sergipe, Campus Universitário Prof Aloisio de Campos, Sao Cristovao, SE, Brazil
Pharm Biol 48:1164-9. 2010..investigated the antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of the leaf essential oil (LEO) of Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt (Poaceae)...
- Fungicidal and anti-aflatoxigenic effects of the essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus (DC.) Stapf. (lemongrass) against Aspergillus flavus Link. isolated from stored riceP A Paranagama
Department of Chemistry, University of Kelaniya, Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
Lett Appl Microbiol 37:86-90. 2003..To develop a natural fungicide against aflatoxigenic fungi, to protect stored rice, using the essential oil of lemongrass...
- Inhibitory effect of three C-glycosylflavonoids from Cymbopogon citratus (Lemongrass) on human low density lipoprotein oxidationRoxana Orrego
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunohematology, University of Talca, Talca, Chile
Molecules 14:3906-13. 2009This study assessed the inhibitory effect of three C-glycosylflavonoids from Cymbopogon citratus leaves--isoorientin (1), swertiajaponin (2) and isoorientin 2"-Orhamnoside (3)--on human LDL oxidation...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of Cymbopogon citratus leaf infusion in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated dendritic cells: contribution of the polyphenolsArtur Figueirinha
Centros de Estudos Farmacêuticos, Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
J Med Food 13:681-90. 2010b>Cymbopogon citratus, an herb known worldwide as lemongrass, is widely consumed as an aromatic drink, and its fresh and dried leaves are currently used in traditional cuisine. However, little is known about the mechanism of action of C...
- Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Cymbopogon citratus and Cymbopogon giganteus essential oils alone and in combinationI H N Bassole
Laboratoire BAEBIB, UFR SVT, Universite de Ouagadougou, 09 BP 848 Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Phytomedicine 18:1070-4. 2011..properties of Burkinabe plants essential oils alone and in combination, essential oils (EOs) from leaves of Cymbopogon citratus and Cymbopogon giganteus from Burkina Faso were analyzed by GC-FID and GC-MS...
- Food preservative potential of essential oils and fractions from Cymbopogon citratus, Ocimum gratissimum and Thymus vulgaris against mycotoxigenic fungiJ Nguefack
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde I, Box 812, Yaounde, Cameroon
Int J Food Microbiol 131:151-6. 2009The food preservative potential of essential oils from three aromatic plants Cymbopogon citratus, Ocimum gratissimum and Thymus vulgaris and their fractions was investigated against two mycotoxigenic strains each of Aspergillus ochraceus, ..
- Spasmolytic effect of citral and extracts of Cymbopogon citratus on isolated rabbit ileumRamachandran Chitra Devi
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
J Smooth Muscle Res 47:143-56. 2011b>Cymbopogon citratus, commonly known as lemongrass, has been shown to have antioxidant, antimicrobial and chemo-protective properties. Citral, a monoterpenoid, is the major constituent of C...
- Evaluation of the chemical composition of Brazilian commercial Cymbopogon citratus (D.C.) stapf samplesLuiz Claudio Almeida Barbosa
Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Vicosa, 36570 000, Vicosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Molecules 13:1864-74. 2008The concentration and the chemical composition of the essential oils obtained from different samples of Cymbopogon citratus were evaluated...
- In vitro and in vivo antifungal activity of essential oils of Cymbopogon martini and Chenopodium ambrosioides and their synergism against dermatophytesChandra Shekhar Prasad
Laboratory of Herbal Pesticides, Centre of Advanced Study in Botany, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
Mycoses 53:123-9. 2010The present study was carried out to evaluate the antifungal efficacy of essential oils (EO) of Cymbopogon martini, Chenopodium ambrosioides and of their combination against dermatophytes and some filamentous fungi in vitro as well as in ..
- Antioxidant effects of different extracts from Melissa officinalis, Matricaria recutita and Cymbopogon citratusRomaiana Picada Pereira
Departamento de Quimica, Programa de Pos Graduacao em Bioquimica Toxicologica, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Neurochem Res 34:973-83. 2009..of three plants used in Brazil to treat neurological disorders: Melissa officinalis, Matricaria recutita and Cymbopogon citratus...
- Free radical scavengers and antioxidants from Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus (DC.) Stapf.)José Cheel
Instituto de Química de Recursos Naturales and Laboratorio de Cultivo Celular, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Talca, Casilla 747, Talca, Chile
J Agric Food Chem 53:2511-7. 2005Methanol, MeOH/water extracts, infusion, and decoction of Cymbopogon citratus were assessed for free radical scavenging effects measured by the bleaching of the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl-hydrazyl (DPPH) radical, scavenging of the superoxide ..
- A comparative study of essential oils of Cymbopogon citratus and some members of the genus CitrusMuhammad Saleem
Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Laboratories Complex, Karachi 75280, Pakistan
Nat Prod Res 17:369-73. 2003Steam distilled oils of some species of the genus Citrus and Cymbopogon citratus were analyzed by GC-MS...
- Liquid and vapour-phase antifungal activities of selected essential oils against Candida albicans: microscopic observations and chemical characterization of Cymbopogon citratusAmit K Tyagi
Applied Microbiology Laboratory, Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi 110 016, India
BMC Complement Altern Med 10:65. 2010..The aim of this study was to test the antifungal activity of selected essential oils against Candida albicans in liquid and vapour phase and to determine the chemical composition and mechanism of action of most potent essential oil...
- Anticancer activity of an essential oil from Cymbopogon flexuosusParduman R Sharma
Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Canal Road, Jammu 180001, India
Chem Biol Interact 179:160-8. 2009The essential oil from a lemon grass variety of Cymbopogon flexuosus was studied for its in vitro cytotoxicity against twelve human cancer cell lines...
- In situ SEM, TEM and AFM studies of the antimicrobial activity of lemon grass oil in liquid and vapour phase against Candida albicansAmit Kumar Tyagi
Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, India
Micron 41:797-805. 2010..albicans cells as compared to the LGO in liquid phase. This suggests the potential application of LGO vapour phase against infections caused by C. albicans...
- Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of fresh leaf aqueous extract of Cymbopogon citratus Stapf. in ratsAdejuwon Adewale Adeneye
Department of Pharmacology, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 112:440-4. 2007..and hypolipidemic effects of the single, daily oral dosing of 125-500 mg/kg of fresh leaf aqueous extract of Cymbopogon citratus Stapf. (CCi) in normal, male Wistar rats for 42 days...
- Effects of Cymbopogon nardus (L.) W. Watson essential oil on the growth and morphogenesis of Aspergillus nigerV G de Billerbeck
Laboratoire de Bactériologie Virologie et Microbiologie Industrielle, Faculte de Pharmacie, 35, chemin des Maraichers, 31062 Toulouse Cedex, France
Can J Microbiol 47:9-17. 2001The growth inhibitory effect of Cymbopogon nardus (L.) W. Watson var. nurdus essential oil on Aspergillus niger (Van Tieghem) mycelium was determined on agar medium. The mycelium growth was completely inhibited at 800 mg/L...
- Cardiovascular effects induced by Cymbopogon winterianus essential oil in rats: involvement of calcium channels and vagal pathwayIgor Alexandre Côrtes de Menezes
Department of Physiology, Federal University of Sergipe, Sao Cristovao, SE, Brazil
J Pharm Pharmacol 62:215-21. 2010This study has investigated the cardiovascular effects of the Cymbopogon winterianus essential oil (EOCW) in rats. C. winterianus is a plant used in folk medicine for the treatment of hypertension.
- Lippia alba, Melissa officinalis and Cymbopogon citratus: effects of the aqueous extracts on the isolated hearts of ratsRuth Gazola
Escola de Farmacia e Odontologia de Alfenas, Centro Universitário Federal Rua Gabriel Monteiro da Silva, 714, Centro, CEP 37130000 Alfenas, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Pharmacol Res 50:477-80. 2004..was developed to evaluate the actions of the aqueous extracts of leaves of Lippia alba, Melissa officinalis and Cymbopogon citratus upon contractile force (CF) and cardiac rate (CR). 2...
- Bioactivity against Tribolium castaneum Herbst (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) of Cymbopogon citratus and Eucalyptus citriodora essential oils grown in ColombiaJesus Olivero-Verbel
Environmental and Computational Chemistry Group, Department of Chemistry, Campus of Zaragocilla, University of Cartagena, Cartagena, Colombia
Pest Manag Sci 66:664-8. 2010Essential oils isolated from Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf...
- Identification of geranic acid, a tyrosinase inhibitor in lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)Toshiya Masuda
Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, University of Tokushima, Tokushima 770 8502, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 56:597-601. 2008..14 and 2.3 mM, respectively. The structure requirement of geranic acid for the potent tyrosinase inhibitory activity was investigated using geranic acid-related compounds...
- [Anti-Candida albicans activity of essential oils including Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) oil and its component, citral]Shigeru Abe
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, 359 Otsuka, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0395, Japan
Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi 44:285-91. 2003..to invade mucosal tissues, was inhibited in the medium containing 100 micro g/ml of the oils: lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus), thyme (Thymus vulgaris), patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) and cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)...
- Citral is a new inducer of caspase-3 in tumor cell linesNativ Dudai
Hazeva Research and Development Center, Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Research, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Planta Med 71:484-8. 2005..a key component of the lemon-scented essential oils extracted from several herbal plants such as lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus), melissa (Melissa officinalis), verbena (Verbena officinalis) is used as a food additive and as a ..
- Use of OTC essential oils to clear plantar wartsMitzi A Forbes
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, College of Nursing, USA
Nurse Pract 31:53-5, 57. 2006
- [Alcoholic extract of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) on the control of Boophilus microplus in cattle]Arli Heimerdinger
Programa de Pós Graduação em Zootecnia, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 15:37-9. 2006The objective of this study was to determine the effect of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) alcoholic extracts on the control of Boophilus microplus in naturally infested Holstein cows...
- Application of poly(dimethylsiloxane) fiber sol-gel coated onto NiTi alloy electrodeposited with zirconium oxide for the determination of organochlorine pesticides in herbal infusionsDilma Budziak
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
J Sep Sci 31:2875-81. 2008..lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus Stapf), chamomile (Matricaria recutita L.), lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L...
- Herbal remedies for anxiety - a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsE Ernst
Complementary Medicine Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter Plymouth, UK
Phytomedicine 13:205-8. 2006..Only for kava were independent replications available. It was concluded that there is a lack of rigorous studies in this area and that only kava has been shown beyond reasonable doubt to have anxiolytic effects in humans...
- Chemical composition and phytotoxicity of volatile essential oil from intact and fallen leaves of Eucalyptus citriodoraDaizy R Batish
Department of Botany, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160 014, India
Z Naturforsch C 61:465-71. 2006..The study concludes that oil from senescent and juvenile leaves being rich in citronellal could be used as commercial source of citronellal whereas that from adult leaves for weed management programmes as it was the most phytotoxic...
- Citral, a component of lemongrass oil inhibits the clastogenic effect of nickel chloride in mouse micronucleus test systemSyed Imam Rabbani
Department of Pharmacology, Al Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bangalore 560 027
Pak J Pharm Sci 19:108-13. 2006Citral is a major component of Cymbopogon citratus (lemongrass oil). The aqueous suspension of citral (60 mg/kg body weight, per oral) treated for one week was tested for the anti-clastogenic effect using mouse micronucleus test system...
- Authenticity control of essential oils containing citronellal and citral by chiral and stable-isotope gas-chromatographic analysisTran Thi Nhu-Trang
Service Central d Analyse, CNRS USR 059, Echangeur de Solaize, BP 22, 69390 Vernaison, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 386:2141-52. 2006..analysis and authenticity control of essential oils, for example lemon (Citrus limon), lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus and Cymbopogon flexuosus), citronella (Cymbopogon nardus L...
- Phytotoxicity of the volatile monoterpene citronellal against some weedsHarminder Pal Singh
Centre for Environment and Vocational Studies, Department of Botany, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Z Naturforsch C 61:334-40. 2006..The rapid ion leakage is indicative of the severe effect of citronellal on the membrane structure and loss of membrane integrity. In all, the study concludes that citronellal causes a severe phytotoxicity on the weeds...
- Effects of Cymbopogon citratus L. essential oil on the growth, morphogenesis and aflatoxin production of Aspergillus flavus ML2-strainG A Helal
Botany Department, Faculty of Science, Zagazig University, Sharkia Governorate, Egypt
J Basic Microbiol 47:5-15. 2007The mycelial growth of Aspergillus flavus Link was completely inhibited using 1.5 (microl/ml or 2.0 (microl/ml of Cymbopogon citratus essential oil applied by fumigation or contact method in Czapek's liquid medium, respectively...
- The use of powder and essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus against mould deterioration and aflatoxin contamination of "egusi" melon seedsS A Bankole
Department of Crop Production, Olabisi Onabanjo University, PMB 2002, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria
J Basic Microbiol 45:20-30. 2005..were carried out to determine the potential of using the powder and essential oil from dried ground leaves of Cymbopogon citratus (lemon grass) to control storage deterioration and aflatoxin contamination of melon seeds...
- Formulation of an effective mosquito-repellent topical product from lemongrass oilA O Oyedele
Department of Pharmaceutics, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Phytomedicine 9:259-62. 2002..Base properties of the lemongrass oil formulations influenced their effectiveness. The oil demonstrated efficacy from the different bases in the order of hydrophilic base > emulsion base > oleaginous base...
- Influence of aqueous crude extracts of medicinal plants on the osmotic stability of human erythrocytesMariana V de Freitas
Institute of Genetics and Biochemistry, Federal University of Uberlandia, Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
Toxicol In Vitro 22:219-24. 2008..Lippia sp., Bryophyllum sp., Solidago microglossa DC, Cymbopogon citratus DC and Mentha x villosa HUDSON on the osmotic stability of human erythrocytes...
- Cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of aqueous extracts of five medicinal plants on Allium cepa LinnA Akinboro
Cell Biology and Genetics Unit, Department of Zoology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 112:470-5. 2007..Juss), Morinda lucida (Benth.), Cymbopogon citratus (DC Stapf.), Mangifera indica (Linn.) and Carica papaya (Linn...
- Antimicrobial action of palmarosa oil (Cymbopogon martinii) on Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAnjali Prashar
School of Biosciences, University of Westminster, 115 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6UW, UK
Phytochemistry 63:569-75. 2003The essential oil extracted from palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii) has proven anti-microbial properties against cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Low concentrations of the oil (0.1%) inhibited the growth of S. cerevisiae cells completely...
- Antibacterial activity of the essential oil from Cymbopogon nervatus inflorescenceH H El-Kamali
Department of Botany, Faculty of Science and Technology, Omdurman Islamic University, P O Box 382, Omdurman, Sudan
Fitoterapia 76:446-9. 2005Antibacterial activity of essential oil of dried inflorescence of Cymbopogon nervatus was investigated. The essential oil remarkably inhibited the growth of tested bacteria except for Salmonella typhi...
- Antifungal activity of Cymbopogon parkeri stapf. essential oil on some important phytopathogenic fungiB Hajieghrari
Department of Plant Production, Moghan Junior College of Agriculture, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 71:937-41. 2006The genus Cymbopogon that belongs to the Poaceae (Graminae) has some important aromatic species whit remarkable commercial value...
- Biogenetic-type synthesis of (+)-cymbodiacetal, a constituent of Cymbopogon martiniiAsha M D'Souza
Department of Chemistry, Goa University, Goa 403 206, India
J Nat Prod 67:700-2. 2004..A biogenetic-type synthesis of (+)-cymbodiacetal (1), a novel bismonoterpenoid dihemiacetal, is described...
- Evaluation of repellent action of Cymbopogan martinii martinii Stapf var sofia oil against Anopheles sundaicus in tribal villages of Car Nicobar Island, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, IndiaM K Das
Malaria Research Centre Field Station, Malacca, Car Nicobar, A and N Islands, India
J Vector Borne Dis 40:100-4. 2003..sundaicus. Cymbopogan martinii martinii Stapf var sofia oil is an indigenous product, its application is safe and can be widely used for protection from malaria...
- Effect of essential oils on the growth of Fusarium verticillioides and fumonisin contamination in cornPascal Fandohan
Program on Agricultural and Food Technology, National Institute of Agricultural Research of Benin, P O Box 128, Porto Novo, Benin
J Agric Food Chem 52:6824-9. 2004..Fumonisin in corn was quantified using a fluorometer and the Vicam method. Oils from Cymbopogon citratus, Ocimum basilicum, and Ocimum gratissimum were the most effective in vitro, completely inhibiting the ..
- Five essential oils from aromatic plants of Cameroon: their antibacterial activity and ability to permeabilize the cytoplasmic membrane of Listeria innocua examined by flow cytometryJ Nguefack
Department of Biochemistry, University of Yaounde I, Box 812, Yaounde, Cameroon
Lett Appl Microbiol 39:395-400. 2004To investigate the antibacterial effect of five essential oils (EO) extracted from aromatic plants (Cymbopogon citratus, Ocimumbasilicum, Ocimum gratissimum, Thymus vulgaris and Zingiber officinale) of Cameroon against strains of Listeria ..
- Ovicidal and larvicidal activity against Aedes aegypti and Anopheles gambiae complex mosquitoes of essential oils extracted from three spontaneous plants of Burkina FasoI H N Bassole
Centre de Recherche en Sciences Biologiques, Alimentaires et Nutritionnelles, Laboratoire de Microbiologie et de Biotechnologie, Universite de Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Parassitologia 45:23-6. 2003Essential oils extracted from dried leaves of three spontaneous plants naturally growing in Burkina Faso, i.e. Cymbopogon proximus, Lippia multiflora and Ocimum canum, exhibited larvicidal activity by the WHO standard protocol against 3rd ..
- Efficacy of repellent products against caged and free flying Anopheles stephensi mosquitoesYuwadee Trongtokit
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:1423-31. 2005..Fifty percent deet (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) was effective for 30 hours if left undisturbed on the skin...
- An essential oil and its major constituent isointermedeol induce apoptosis by increased expression of mitochondrial cytochrome c and apical death receptors in human leukaemia HL-60 cellsAjay Kumar
Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu, India
Chem Biol Interact 171:332-47. 2008An essential oil from a lemon grass variety of Cymbopogon flexuosus (CFO) and its major chemical constituent sesquiterpene isointermedeol (ISO) were investigated for their ability to induce apoptosis in human leukaemia HL-60 cells because ..
- [Allelopathic effects of Cymbopogon citratu volatile and its chemical components]Huashou Li
Institute of Tropical and Subtropical Ecology, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:763-7. 2005This paper studied the allelopathic effects of Cymbopogon citratus volatile on the seed germination and seedling growth of corn and barnyard grass (Echinochloa crusgalli) in field and in obturator, and analyzed the chemical components of ..
- The quantification of citral in lemongrass and lemon oils by near-infrared spectroscopyNicola D Wilson
Centre for Pharmaceutical Analysis, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, UK
J Pharm Pharmacol 54:1257-63. 2002..71% or less. The NIR method developed was rapid, simple and non-destructive and may prove beneficial for the accurate determination of the citral content of lemongrass oils and for the approximate citral content of lemon oils...
- A phase II detoxification enzyme inducer from lemongrass: identification of citral and involvement of electrophilic reaction in the enzyme inductionYoshimasa Nakamura
Laboratory of Food and Biodynamics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302:593-600. 2003..Citral (3,7-dimethyl-2,6-octadienal) was isolated from the methanol extract of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) and identified as a novel inducer of GST...
- Role of halide ions and temperature on the morphology of biologically synthesized gold nanotrianglesAkhilesh Rai
Nanoscience Group, Materials Chemistry Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune 411 008, India
Langmuir 22:736-41. 2006..halide ions on the formation of biogenically prepared gold nanotriangles using the leaf extract of lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) plant. We have also studied the effect of halide ions on the morphology of biogenic nanotriangles...
- Effectiveness and comparison of citronella and scentless spray bark collars for the control of barking in a veterinary hospital settingKelly S Moffat
Mesa Veterinary Hospital, 858 North Country Club, Mesa, Arizona 85201, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 39:343-8. 2003..Twenty-nine dogs were evaluated with the scentless collar, with 58.6% showing a reduction in barking. The improvement over the control collars was statistically significant with both the citronella and scentless collars...
- Comparison of two treatments for preventing dogs eating their own faecesD L Wells
Canine Behaviour Centre, School of Psychology, Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast BT7 1NN
Vet Rec 153:51-3. 2003..The behavioural problem was reduced most effectively in the dogs treated with the spray collar, and continued to decrease during the period of treatment...
- Development of simple sequence repeat markers in cymbopogon speciesJitendra Kumar
Division of Biotechnology, Regional Research Laboratory, Jammu, India
Planta Med 73:262-6. 2007The genus Cymbopogon comprises about 140 species, which produce characteristic aromatic essential oils...
- Are mosquitoes diverted from repellent-using individuals to non-users? Results of a field study in BoliviaS J Moore
DCVBU, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Trop Med Int Health 12:532-9. 2007..A second, smaller Latin-square trial using 30% lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) repellent, with control, obtained 26.0% (95% CI: 5.2-51...
- Comparative study of the assay of Artemia salina L. and the estimate of the medium lethal dose (LD50 value) in mice, to determine oral acute toxicity of plant extractsA Logarto Parra
Drug Research and Development Center CIDEM, Biologic Research Department, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Phytomedicine 8:395-400. 2001..Burm. F. (Aloeaceae), Artemisia absinthium L. (Asteraceae); Citrus aurantium L. (Rutaceae); Cymbopogon citratus (DC. Ex Nees) Stapf (Poaceae); Datura stramonium L. (Solanaceae); Justicia pectoralis Jacq...
- Therapeutic effects on murine oral candidiasis by oral administration of cassia (Cinnamomum cassia) preparationYuuki Taguchi
Research and Product Development Division, S and B Foods Inc, Tokyo, Japan
Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi 51:13-21. 2010..All tested samples: lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus), lemon balm (Melissa officinalis), thyme (Thymus vulgaris), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), roselle ..
- Bactericidal activities of plant essential oils and some of their isolated constituents against Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes, and Salmonella entericaMendel Friedman
Western Regional Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Albany, California 94710, USA
J Food Prot 65:1545-60. 2002..034 to 0.21) were thymol, cinnamaldehyde, carvacrol, eugenol, salicylaldehyde, geraniol, isoeugenol, terpineol, perillaldehyde, and estragole. The possible significance of these results with regard to food microbiology is discussed...
- Toxicity of plant essential oils and their components against Lycoriella ingenua (Diptera: Sciaridae)Il Kwon Park
Division of Forest Insect Pests and Diseases, Korea Forest Research Institute, Seoul 130 012, Republic of Korea
J Econ Entomol 101:139-44. 2008..ingenua was achieved with essential oils of caraway seed Carum carvi (L.)], lemongrass [Cymbopogon citratus (D.C.) Stapf...
- Anti-Candida activity of Brazilian medicinal plantsMarta Cristina Teixeira Duarte
Research Center for Chemistry, Biology and Agriculture, State University of Campinas, P O Box 6171, CEP 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 97:305-11. 2005..Essential oils from 13 plants showed anti-Candida activity, including Aloysia triphylla, Anthemis nobilis, Cymbopogon martini, Cymbopogon winterianus, Cyperus articulatus, Cyperus rotundus, Lippia alba, Mentha arvensis, Mikania ..
- Activities of the Pharmaceutical Technology Institute of the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation with medicinal, insecticidal and insect repellent plantsB Gilbert
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
An Acad Bras Cienc 71:265-71. 1999..summary of some of its activities in the chemical and pharmaceutical fields are medicinal plants Bidens pilosa, Cymbopogon citratus, Copaifera species, Mentha crispa, Phyllanthus tenellus Roxb...
- In vitro antimicrobial activity of plants in Acute Otitis ExternaJanaina Cândida Rodrigues Nogueira
Centro de Ciencias de Saude, UFPB, PB, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 74:118-24. 2008..Acute Otitis Externa is an inflammation of the outer auditory meatus, and according to popular saying, medicinal plant extracts can be used in its treatment...
- The significance of fragrance mix, balsam of Peru, colophony and propolis as screening tools in the detection of fragrance allergyS Wohrl
FAZ Floridsdorf Allergy Centre, Franz Jonas Platz 8 6, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Br J Dermatol 145:268-73. 2001..Patch testing to fragrances is an important step in the diagnosis of fragrance allergy...
- Correlation between chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oils of some aromatic medicinal plants growing in the Democratic Republic of CongoK Cimanga
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp U I A, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610, Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
J Ethnopharmacol 79:213-20. 2002..Eucalyptus deglupta, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus saligna, Eucalyptus robusta, Aframomum stipulatum, Cymbopogon citratus, Ocimum americanum and that of the seeds of Monodora myristica showed also a good antibacterial ..
- Aflatoxin-albumin adduct formation after single and multiple doses of aflatoxin B(1) in rats treated with Thai medicinal plantsU Vinitketkumnuen
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Mutat Res 428:345-51. 1999The objective was to conduct an assessment of the ability of two Thai medicinal plants, Cymbopogon citratus Stapf and Murdannia loriformis, to modulate levels of serum aflatoxin-albumin (AF-albumin) adducts following aflatoxin B(1) (AFB(1)..
- Possibility of fighting food borne bacteria by egyptian folk medicinal herbs and spices extractsAhmed A Tayel
Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Research Institute, Menoufiya University, Egypt
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 84:21-32. 2009..The most sensitive strain to plant extracts was B. subtilis and the most resistant strain was Ps. fluorescens...
- Field evaluation of traditionally used plant-based insect repellents and fumigants against the malaria vector Anopheles darlingi in Riberalta, Bolivian AmazonSarah J Moore
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
J Med Entomol 44:624-30. 2007..darlingi as well as Mansonia indubitans (Dyar & Shannon)/Mansonia titillans (Walker). Cymbopogon citratus (Staph), Guatemalan lemongrass, essential oil at 25% was used as a skin repellent, and it provided 74% ..
- Comparative anticonvulsant activities of the essential oils (EOs) from Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt and Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf. in miceMonalisa Ribeiro Silva
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceará UFC, Rua Cel Nunes de Melo 1127, Fortaleza 60430 270, Ceara, Brazil
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 381:415-26. 2010The fresh leaves of Cymbopogon citratus are a good source of an essential oil (EO) rich in citral, and its tea is largely used in the Brazilian folk medicine as a sedative...
- Proline accumulation in lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus Stapf.) due to heavy metal stressG K Handique
Department of Botany, Nalbari College, Nalbari, India
J Environ Biol 30:299-302. 2009Toxic heavy metals viz. lead, mercury and cadmium induced differential accumulation of proline in lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus Stapf.) grown in soil amended with 50, 100, 200, 350 and 500 mg kg(-1) of the metals have been studied...
- In vitro antidrepanocytary actvity (anti-sickle cell anemia) of some congolese plantsP T Mpiana
Departement de Chimie, Universite de Kinshasa, Kinshasa XI, R D Congo
Phytomedicine 14:192-5. 2007..Twelve of these plants, Alchornea cordifolia, Afromomum albo violaceum, Annona senegalensis, Cymbopogon densiflorus, Bridelia ferruginea, Ceiba pentandra, Morinda lucida, Hymenocardia acida, Coleus kilimandcharis, ..
- Weed control in rose-scented geranium (Pelargonium spp)Sushil K Kothari
Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Field Station, Boduppal Uppal PO, Hyderabad 500 039, India
Pest Manag Sci 58:1254-8. 2002..50 kg AI ha(-1)) were less effective in controlling the weed species in geranium. None of the herbicides impaired the quality of rose-scented geranium oil measured in terms of citronellol and geraniol content...
- Laboratory evaluation of four commercial repellents against larval Leptotrombidium deliense (Acari: Trombiculidae)Azima Laili Hanifah
Acarology Unit, Infectious Disease Research Center, Institute for Medical Research, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 41:1082-7. 2010..In vitro repellencies ranged from 73% to 87%. There was no significant difference between the four products. All the repellents had 100% in vivo repellency compared to 41-57% for the controls...
- Antimicrobial effects of three tropical plant extracts on Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Candida albicansR N Okigbo
Department of Botany, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:226-9. 2008Antimicrobial activities of the leaf extracts of Cymbopogon citatrus (lemongrass) and Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf) and the seed extracts of Garcinia kola (bitter kola) were carried out. G...
- Hypotensive and vasorelaxant effects of citronellol, a monoterpene alcohol, in ratsJoana F A Bastos
Department of Physiology, Federal University of Sergipe, São Cristóvão SE, Brazil
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 106:331-7. 2010Citronellol is an essential oil constituent from the medicinal plants Cymbopogon citratus, Cymbopogon winterianus and Lippia alba which are thought to possess antihypertensive properties...
- Characterization of potent anticholinesterase plant oil based microemulsionWantida Chaiyana
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Int J Pharm 401:32-40. 2010In the present study, essential oils of three edible Thai plants, Cymbopogon citratus (Gramineae), Citrus hystrix (Rutaceae) and Zingiber cassumunar (Zingiberaceae) were comparatively tested for acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and ..
- Antibacterial properties of essential oils from Thai medicinal plantsBhusita Wannissorn
Department of Biotechnology, Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research, Technopolis, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
Fitoterapia 76:233-6. 2005..piperacens, Cymbopogon citratus and Ocimum basilicum var. citratum showed promising antibacterial activity against the bacteria tested.
- Screening of Australian native grasses for rhizoremediation of aliphatic hydrocarbon-contaminated soilSharyn Gaskin
Department of Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Int J Phytoremediation 10:378-89. 2008..Three promising species (Brachiaria decumbens, Cymbopogon ambiguus, and Microlaena stipoides var...
- Comparative larvicidal activity of essential oils from three medicinal plants against Aedes aegypti LFlávia P Freitas
Laboratorio de Biotecnologia, Centro de Biociencias e Biotecnologia, Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense, 2000 Campos dos Goytacazes, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Chem Biodivers 7:2801-7. 2010..aimed at comparing larvicidal activity of essential oils extracted from the dried leaves of Alpinia speciosa, Cymbopogon citratus, and Rosmarinus officinalis against Ae. aegypti larvae...
- Laboratory evaluation of traditionally used plant-based insect repellent against the malaria vector Anopheles arabiensis Patton (Diptera: Culicidae)Kaliyaperumal Karunamoorthi
Unit of Vector Biology and Control, Department of Environmental Health Science, College of Public Health and Medical Sciences, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia
Parasitol Res 106:1217-23. 2010..Lomi sar [vernacular name (local native language, Amharic); Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf. (Poaceae)] against Anopheles arabiensis at four different concentrations viz., 1.0, 1.5, 2...
- Comparative repellency of 38 essential oils against mosquito bitesYuwadee Trongtokit
Department of Medical Entomology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Phytother Res 19:303-9. 2005..a 10% or 50% concentration, none of them prevented mosquito bites for as long as 2 h, but the undiluted oils of Cymbopogon nardus (citronella), Pogostemon cablin (patchuli), Syzygium aromaticum (clove) and Zanthoxylum limonella (Thai ..
- Antibacterial activity of essential oils from palmarosa, evening primrose, lavender and tuberoseM H Lodhia
Department of Biosciences, Saurashtra University, Rajkot 360 005, India
Indian J Pharm Sci 71:134-6. 2009Essential oils extracted from flower petals of palmarosa (Cymbopogon martini), evening primrose (Primula rosea), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) and tuberose (Polianthus tuberosa) were tested for their antibacterial activities against ..
- Comparative chemical and analgesic properties of essential oils of cymbopogon nardus (L) rendle of benin and congoA A Abena
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Pharmacologie, , , BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 4:267-72. 2007The chemical and analgesic comparison of essential oils of Cymbopogon nardus (L) Rendle of Benin and Congo was investigated...
- In vitro enzyme inhibition activities of crude ethanolic extracts derived from medicinal plants of PakistanSomia Khattak
Department of Chemistry, University of Peshawar, Peshawar 25120, Pakistan
Nat Prod Res 19:567-71. 2005..gt; or =50%) were found in extracts derived from Aloe vera (leaves), Alpinia galanga (rhizome), Curcuma longa (rhizome), Cymbopogon citratus (leaves), Ocimum americanum (leaves), Ocimum americanum (stem) and Withania somnifera (roots).
- Usefulness of the SOS Chromotest in the study of medicinal plants as radioprotectorsJorge Luis Fuentes
Centro de Aplicaciones Tecnológicas y Desarrollo Nuclear CEADEN, Habana
Int J Radiat Biol 82:323-9. 2006....
- Antinociceptive effect of the essential oil from Cymbopogon citratus in miceG S Viana
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Federal University of Ceara, Rua Cel, Nunes de Melo 1127, 60431 970, Fortaleza, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 70:323-7. 2000The essential oil (EO) from leaves of Cymbopogon citratus increased the reaction time to thermal stimuli both after oral (25 mg/kg) and intraperitoneal (25-100 mg/kg) administration. EO (50-200 mg/kg, p.o. or i.p...
- Shape and size selective separation of gold nanoclusters by competitive complexation with octadecylamine monolayers at the air-water interfaceRenu Pasricha
National Chemical Laboratory, Pune 411008, India
J Colloid Interface Sci 333:380-8. 2009....
- An esterase is involved in geraniol production during palmarosa inflorescence developmentVinod Shanker Dubey
Neurobiotechnology Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Phytochemistry 63:257-64. 2003Total incorporation of exogenously administered [2-14C]acetate into essential oil of palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii) was found to be relatively higher than that of either [U-14C]sucrose or [U-14C]glucose during inflorescence development...
- Inhibitory effect of citral on NO production by suppression of iNOS expression and NF-kappa B activation in RAW264.7 cellsHwa Jeong Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, 48, Gaeshin dong, Heungduk gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 31:342-9. 2008Citral is a major compound of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus L.) that has many pharmacological activities such as anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effects...
- Fatty acids and sterols from Cymbopogon martinii var. motia rootsS A Siddiqi
Natural Products Chemistry Division, Central Institue of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow, India
Z Naturforsch C 55:843-5. 2000The hexane and methanol extracts of the roots of Cymbopogon martinii var. motia have been investigated to afford mainly fatty acids and common sterols...
- Surface decontamination and quality enhancement in meat steaks using plant extracts as natural biopreservativesAhmed A Tayel
Department of Industrial Biotechnology, Minoufiya University, El Sadat City, Egypt
Foodborne Pathog Dis 9:755-61. 2012..Application of plant extracts could be impressively recommended for comprehensive meat decontamination and quality attributes enhancement...