Summary: A plant family of the order Polygalales, subclass Rosidae class, Magnoliopsida that are mostly shrubs and small trees. Many of the members contain indole alkaloids.
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Phylogeny of Acridocarpus-Brachylophon (Malpighiaceae): implications for tertiary tropical floras and Afroasian biogeographyCharles C Davis
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan Herbarium, 3600 Varsity Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108 2287, USA
Evolution 56:2395-405. 2002..the phylogeny and lineage divergence times within one such angiosperm group, the acridocarpoid clade (Malpighiaceae), with combined ITS, ndhF, and trnL-F data from 15 species that encompass the range of morphological and ..
- Toxicological evaluation of polyphenol extract from Acerola (Malpighia emarginata DC.) fruitT Hanamura
Research and Development Div, Nichirei Foods, Inc, 9 Shinminato, Mihama ku, Chiba shi, Chiba 261 8545, Japan
J Food Sci 73:T55-61. 2008..Besides, there were no abnormal clinical signs related to administration of C-AP in any of the experimental animals. These results provide an important reference for the safety of APs as a food supplement for human consumption...
- Laurasian migration explains Gondwanan disjunctions: evidence from MalpighiaceaeCharles C Davis
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University Herbaria, 22 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:6833-7. 2002..Phylogenetic analyses of the angiosperm clade Malpighiaceae, combined with fossil evidence and molecular divergence-time estimates, suggest an alternative hypothesis to ..
- Heteropterys aphrodisiaca infusion reduces the collateral effects of cyclosporine A on the testisJuliana C Monteiro
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas IB UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:809-17. 2008..aphrodisiaca infusion to CsA-treated rats diminished nearly all the CsA-induced damage to the testis ultrastructure, suggesting that H. aphrodisiaca infusion may be used combined with CsA to reduce CsA-induced injuries in the testis...
- Heteropterys aphrodisiaca (extract BST0298): a Brazilian plant that improves memory in aged ratsS M P Galvão
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu, 862, 1o andar, Vila Clementino, CEP 04023 062, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 79:305-11. 2002..These results suggest that treatment for 7 days or more with H. aphrodisiaca improves learning and memory deficits in aged rats...
- Pollination and reproductive biology of twelve species of neotropical Malpighiaceae: stigma morphology and its implications for the breeding systemMaria Rosângela Sigrist
Departamento de Biologia, Caixa Postal 549, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul, 79070 900 Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
Ann Bot 94:33-41. 2004This study on reproductive biology examines the stigmatic morphology of 12 Brazilian Malpighiaceae species with regard to their pollination and breeding system.
- Association of the infusion of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca and endurance training brings spermatogenetic advantagesMarcos L M Gomes
Departamento de Cièncias de Saúde, CEUNES, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, São Mateus, ES, Brasil
Biol Res 44:235-41. 2011..Therefore, the H. aphrodisiaca infusion increased both the testosterone production and the spermatogonia mitosis, thus increasing the spermatogenic yield...
- More resistant tendons obtained from the association of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca and endurance trainingJuliana C Monteiro
Departamento de Biologia Estrutural e Funcional, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:51. 2011..This study investigated the effects of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca infusion on the tendon properties and extracellular matrix of rats under endurance training...
- Wound healing effect of Flabellaria paniculata leaf extractsJoseph A O Olugbuyiro
Department of Chemistry, Covenant University, Canaanland, Ota, Ogun, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 127:786-8. 2010..This study evaluated wound healing activity of the chloroform and aqueous fractions of the methanolic extract of Flabellaria paniculata leaf on infected wounds in rats as a follow up to an initial study of the crude extract...
- Anti-Helicobacter pylori activity and immunostimulatory effect of extracts from Byrsonima crassa Nied. (Malpighiaceae)Cibele Bonacorsi
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Rua Expedicionários do Brasil 1621, CEP14801 960, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 9:2. 2009..pylori. In this study, we evaluated the anti-H. pylori of B. crassa leaves extracts and its effects on reactive oxygen/nitrogen intermediates induction by murine peritoneal macrophages...
- Biological activity of barbados cherry (acerola fruits, fruit of Malpighia emarginata DC) extracts and fractionsNoboru Motohashi
Meiji Pharmaceutical University, Noshio, Kiyose, Tokyo, Japan
Phytother Res 18:212-23. 2004..The tumor specific cytotoxic activity and MDR reversal activity of barbados cherry may suggest its possible application for cancer therapy...
- Flavonoids and antiulcerogenic activity from Byrsonima crassa leaves extractsM Sannomiya
Departamento de Quimica Organica, Instituto de Quimica, Rua Francisco Degni s n, Bairro Quitandinha, C P 355, CEP 14800 900, UNESP, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 97:1-6. 2005Byrsonima crassa Niedenzu (IK) (Malpighiaceae) is used in Brazilian folk medicine for the treatment of diseases related mainly to gastric ulcers...
- Glochidiolide, isoglochidiolide, acuminaminoside, and glochidacuminosides A-D from the leaves of Glochidion acuminatum MUELLHideaki Otsuka
Department of Pharmacognosy, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 52:591-6. 2004..The structures of glochidionolactone and acuminaminoside were determined by X-ray analyses, and those of the remaining C(8) glucosides by NMR spectroscopic analyses, chemical conversion, and a modified Mosher's method...
- Effect of acerola cherry extract on cell proliferation and activation of ras signal pathway at the promotion stage of lung tumorigenesis in miceIsao Nagamine
Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry, College of Bioresource Sciences, Nihon University, Fujisawa, Kanagawa, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 48:69-72. 2002..These results suggest that ACE regulates abnormal cell growth at the promotion stage of lung tumorigenesis in mice treated with NNK as a result of suppression of the initiation stage...
- Neurophysiological studies of Heteropteris glabra Hok. & Arn. (Malpighiaceae) in DBA/2J miceGabriella Galietta
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Ethnopharmacol 97:415-9. 2005Fruits of Heteropterys glabra (Malpighiaceae) are used in South-American folk medicine as a sedative and anxiolytic agent. In present research, we studied neurophysiological effects of the plant...
- Free radical scavenging, enzyme inhibitory constituents from antidiabetic Ayurvedic medicinal plant Hydnocarpus wightiana BlumeS Venkat Reddy
Natural Products Laboratory, Division of Organic Chemistry I, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, India
Phytother Res 19:277-81. 2005..wightiana seed hulls may be responsible for the antidiabetic properties as advocated in traditional medicine...
- Mutagenic activity promoted by amentoflavone and methanolic extract of Byrsonima crassa NiedenzuCássia Regina Primila Cardoso
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Araraquara, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Rodovia Araraquara Jaú, km 1, 14801 902 SP, Brazil
Toxicology 225:55-63. 2006....
- Inhibition of LPS-stimulated NO production in mouse macrophage-like cells by Barbados cherry, a fruit of Malpighia emarginata DCHidetsugu Wakabayashi
Faculty of Science, Josai University, Sakado, Saitama 350 0295, Japan
Anticancer Res 23:3237-41. 2003..These data suggest that the inhibitory effect on NO production by Barbados cherry extracts is partly due to the inhibition of iNOS expression, and scavenging of O2- and NO radicals...
- Antihyperglycemic effect of polyphenols from Acerola (Malpighia emarginata DC.) fruitTakayuki Hanamura
Research and Development Division, Nichirei Foods Inc, Chiba, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:1813-20. 2006..Despite such a preventive effect, the therapeutic effect of C-AP on hyperglycemia appeared to be low from the experiment with KKAy mice...
- Biflavonoids with cytotoxic and antibacterial activity from Ochna macrocalyxSharon Tang
Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, The School of Pharmacy, London, UK
Planta Med 69:247-53. 2003..The ethanolic extract of the bark also showed NF-kappaB inhibitory activity...
- Unusual naphthoquinones, catechin and triterpene from Byrsonima microphyllaRosane M Aguiar
Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Campus de Ondina, 40170290 Salvador BA, Brazil
Phytochemistry 66:2388-92. 2005..1), together with lupeol, beta-amyrin and betulin were isolated from the wood of Byrsonima microphylla (Malpighiaceae)...
- A novel chlorinated diphenyl ether from Byrsonima microphylla (Malpighiaceae)João H C Rocha
Chemistry Institute, Federal University of Bahia, Campus Ondina, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:2759-61. 2006..that was obtained from the trunk of Byrsonima microphylla (Malpighiaceae)...
- Galls and gall makers in plants from the Pé-de-Gigante Cerrado Reserve, Santa Rita do Passa Quatro, SP, BrazilM V Urso-Guimarães
UFSCar, CEP 18085 850, Sorocaba, SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 66:357-69. 2006..families Anacardiaceae, Annonaceae, Asteraceae, Bignoniaceae, Caryocaraceae, Erythroxylaceae, Fabaceae, Malpighiaceae, Melastomataceae, Myrtaceae, Ochnaceae, Polygalaceae, Sapindaceae, Sapotaceae, and Smilacaceae...
- The evolution and loss of oil-offering flowers: new insights from dated phylogenies for angiosperms and beesS S Renner
Systematic Botany and Mycology, University of Munich, Menzinger Street 67, 80638 Munich, Germany
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:423-35. 2010..The oldest oil flower systems evolved shortly after the K/T boundary independently in American Malpighiaceae, tropical African Cucurbitaceae and Laurasian Lysimachia (Myrsinaceae); the ages of the South African oil ..
- Antiplasmodial, anti-trypanosomal, anti-leishmanial and cytotoxicity activity of selected Tanzanian medicinal plantsH M Malebo
National Institute for Medical Research, P O Box 9653, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tanzan J Health Res 11:226-34. 2009..Pseudospondias microcarpa (Anacardiaceae), Drypetes natalensis (Euphorbiaceae), Acridocarpus chloropterus (Malpighiaceae), Maytenus senegalensis (Celastraceae) and Neurautanenia mitis (Papilonaceae), were evaluated in vitro against ..
- Potential oilseed crops from the semiarid region of northeastern BrazilR S Pinho
Laboratório de Recursos Econômicos e Fitoquímica, Departamento de Biologia, Área de Botânica, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Av Dom Manoel de Medeiros s n, Dois Irmaos, CEP 52 171 900, Recife PE, Brazil
Bioresour Technol 100:6114-7. 2009..Standl. (Bignoniaceae) and 46.4% in Barnebya harleyi (W.R. Anderson & B. Gates) Malpighiaceae. Anemopaegma laeve DC. (Bignoniaceae) had the highest oleic acid content (63...
- Anti-hemorrhagic activity of four Brazilian vegetable species against Bothrops jararaca venomCatarine Massucato Nishijima Nishijima
Department of Physiology, Sao Paulo State University, UNESP Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Molecules 14:1072-80. 2009..Melastomataceae), Byrsonima crassa Niedenzu (Malpighiaceae), Davilla elliptica St. Hill. (Dilleniaceae) and Strychnos pseudoquina St. Hil...
- Nesting behavior of Centris (Hemisiella) vittata Lepeletier (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in an area of the Cerrado in the northeast of the State of Maranhão, BrazilMarina Ramos
Depto de Biologia, Lab de Estudos sobre Abelhas, Univ Federal do Maranhão, Bacanga, MA, Brazil, 65085580
Neotrop Entomol 39:379-83. 2010..b>Malpighiaceae)...
- Utilization of floral resources by bees of the genus Frieseomelitta von Ihering (Hymenoptera: Apidae)Alex F R Teixeira
INCAPER Escritório Local de Desenvolvimento Rural de Ibiraçu, Instituto Capixaba de Pesquisa, Assisténcia e Extensão Rural, Ibiraçu, ES, 29670 000
Neotrop Entomol 36:675-84. 2007..F. doederleini, F. languida e F. varia centralized their activity in Caesalpiniaceae, Malpighiaceae e Anacardiaceae...
- Plants used by a Quilombola group in Brazil with potential central nervous system effectsEliana Rodrigues
Department of Psychobiology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Phytother Res 18:748-53. 2004..only 31 could be identified to the species level as belonging to 20 taxonomic families, with the Asteraceae, Malpighiaceae, Cyperaceae, and Myrtaceae as the most important families...
- The complete nucleotide sequence of the cassava (Manihot esculenta) chloroplast genome and the evolution of atpF in Malpighiales: RNA editing and multiple losses of a group II intronHenry Daniell
Department Molecular Biology and Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida, 4000 Central Florida Blvd, Biomolecular Science Bldg 20, Room 336, Orlando, FL 32816 2364, USA
Theor Appl Genet 116:723-37. 2008....
- Nest site selection and induced response in a dominant arboreal ant speciesAlain Dejean
UPS 2561, CNRS Guyane, 16 avenue André Aron, 97300 Cayenne, France
Naturwissenschaften 95:885-9. 2008..These results show that contrary to what was previously believed, induced responses are also found in territorially dominant arboreal ants and so are not limited to the specific associations between myrmecophytes and plant ants...
- Removal of pyrene from contaminated sediments by mangrove microcosmsL Ke
Department of Biology and Chemistry, Center of Coastal Pollution and Conservation, City University of Hong Kong, 83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, SAR, Hong Kong, P R China
Chemosphere 51:25-34. 2003..gymnorrhiza) and in microcosms with contaminated sediments placed at the surface layer. Nevertheless, the overall contribution of root accumulation and plant uptake to the removal of pyrene from contaminated sediments was insignificant...
- An unusual glucoside from Cleistanthus gracilisPaulo M Pinho
ICBAS Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas de Abel Salazar CIIMAR, Universidade do Porto, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
Phytochemistry 67:1789-92. 2006..Extraction of roots and stems of Cleistanthus gracilis furnished common triterpenes, plant sterols and the unusual glucoside (+) gracicleistanthoside, the glucoside of 2-beta-hydroxy-8-azabicyclo-(5,2,0)-4beta,9beta-epoxynona-5,7-diene...
- [Nesting biology of Centris flavifrons (Friese) (Hymenoptera: Apidae, Centridini), one of the main pollinators of Byrsonima crassifolia L. Kunth in Maranhão, Brazil]Márcia M C Rego
Lab Estudos sobre Abelhas LEA Depto Biologia, Univ Federal do Maranhão, Av dos Portugueses, S N, Campus do Bacanga, 65040 080, Sao Luis, MA
Neotrop Entomol 35:579-87. 2006..The pollen analysis of the contents of four cells allowed to identify 23 floral species, six of them Malpighiaceae. Six floral species were registered visiting C...
- Hepatoprotective activity of methanolic extract of Hiptage bengalensis leaves against CCl₄-induced hepatotoxicity in ratsP Maheshwari
Department of Pharmacology, Vaageswari College of Pharmacy, Karimanagar, Andhra Pradesh, India
Toxicol Mech Methods 22:483-7. 2012..The hepatoprotective effect of Hiptage bengalensis (L.) kurz was comparable to standard drug silymarin (50 mg/kg)...
- Antigenotoxicity and antioxidant activity of Acerola fruit (Malpighia glabra L.) at two stages of ripenessRoberta da Silva Nunes
Laboratório de Genética Toxicológica Programa de Pós Graduação em Genética e Toxicologia Aplicada, Universidade Luterana do Brasil, 92425 900, Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 66:129-35. 2011..Acerola is usually consumed when ripe (red fruit), although it is the green fruit (unripe) that has higher potential as beneficial to DNA, protecting it against oxidative stress...
- Oil collecting bees and Byrsonima cydoniifolia A. Juss. (Malpighiaceae) interactions: the prevalence of long-distance cross pollination driving reproductive successMorgana S Sazan
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, USP, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 86:347-57. 2014..cydoniifolia is the long-distance cross pollination and Centridini bees; Epicharis nigrita, particularly, are the pollinators promoting the gene flow between genetically distinct populations. ..
- Isolation of arginase inhibitors from the bioactivity-guided fractionation of Byrsonima coccolobifolia leaves and stemsLorena Ramos Freitas de Sousa
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Rod Washington Luis, km 235, 13565 905 Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
J Nat Prod 77:392-6. 2014..24 to 3.8 μM, demonstrating strong affinity. Structure-activity relationship studies revealed some similarities in the structural features of flavonoids related to ARG activity. ..
- Antidepressant effect and pharmacological evaluation of standardized extract of flavonoids from Byrsonima crassifoliaM Herrera-Ruiz
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica del Sur, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Xochitepec, Morelos, Mexico
Phytomedicine 18:1255-61. 2011Byrsonima crassifolia (Malpighiaceae) has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of some mental-related diseases; however, its specific neuropharmacological activities remain to be defined...
- Apoptotic effects on B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL) cells of heterocyclic compounds isolated from GuttiferaesF Menasria
UMRS 872 INSERM Université Pierre et Marie Curie Université Paris Descartes, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Leuk Res 32:1914-26. 2008..Blood mononuclear cells and B-lymphocytes from healthy donors appeared less sensitive than B-CLL cells. These results indicate that these molecules may be of interest in the development of new therapies for B-CLL...
- Structure of floral galls of Byrsonima sericea (Malpighiaceae) induced by Bruggmanniella byrsonimae (Cecidomyiidae, Diptera) and their effects on host plantsA L A Guimarães
Laboratório de Farmacobotânica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS, Cidade Universitaria, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 16:467-75. 2014..Galls of Bruggmmaniella byrsonimae develop in the flower buds of Byrsonima sericea DC. (Malpighiaceae) and affect development of the reproductive organs and the reproductive effort of these plants...
- Seed development in Malpighiaceae species with an emphasis on the relationships between nutritive tissuesLetícia Silva Souto
Departamento de Biologia, Centro de Ciências e Tecnologias para Sustentabilidade, UFSCar Universidade Federal de São Carlos, Campus Sorocaba, Sorocaba, Sao Paulo, Brasil Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Biológicas Botânica, Instituto de Biociencias, UNESP Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brasil
C R Biol 337:62-70. 2014b>Malpighiaceae ovules have a well-developed nucellus; previous observations indicate that during seed development, the endosperm does not proliferate, thus, remaining scarce...
- Pollination of Byrsonima coccolobifolia: short-distance isolation and possible causes for low fruit productionM E Amorim
Laboratório de Ecologia Teórica e Síntese, Departamento de Ecologia, UFG, Goiania, GO, Brazil
Braz J Biol 71:709-17. 2011Byrsonima coccolobifolia is a tropical plant from the Malpighiaceae family, distributed in the neotropical savanna fields and pollinated by bees known as "collecting-oil bees"...
- Cheaters in mutualism networksJulieta Genini
Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Biociencias, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Biol Lett 6:494-7. 2010..We studied two flower-visitation networks (Malpighiaceae and Bignoniaceae and their flower visitors), and divide the types of link into cheaters (i.e...
- Effect of post-fire resprouting on leaf fluctuating asymmetry, extrafloral nectar quality, and ant-plant-herbivore interactionsEstevão Alves-Silva
Institute of Biology, Federal University of Uberlandia, Ceará Str 2D building, Umuarama Campus, Zip code 38400 902, P O Box 593, Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Naturwissenschaften 100:525-32. 2013..The study was performed on two groups of the extrafloral nectaried shrub Banisteriopsis campestris (Malpighiaceae); one group was recovering from fire while the other acted as control...
- Isolated flavonoids against mammary tumour cells LM2Camila B de A Carli
UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, C Postal 502, 14801 902, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Z Naturforsch C 64:32-6. 2009..Of all substances tested, flavonoids 2 (quercetin) and 6 (myricetin) may show promising activity in the treatment of murine breast cancer by immunomodulatory and antiproliferative activities...
- Byrsonima intermedia A. Juss.: gastric and duodenal anti-ulcer, antimicrobial and antidiarrheal effects in experimental rodent modelsRaquel Cássia Santos
Univ Estadual Paulista UNESP Departamento de Fisiologia, Instituto de Biociencias, CP 510, CEP 18618 970, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 140:203-12. 2012An ethnopharmacological survey indicated that the leaves of Byrsonima intermedia A. Juss. (Malpighiaceae), a medicinal species commonly found in the Brazilian Cerrado, can be used against gastroduodenal disorders, such as gastric ulcers ..
- A comparative study of aluminium and nutrient concentrations in mistletoes on aluminium-accumulating and non-accumulating hostsM C Scalon
Departamento de Ecologia, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 15:851-7. 2013..ovata. We suggest that Al might have some specific function in P. robustus, which only parasitizes Al-accumulator hosts, while the host generalist Ph. ovata can be considered a facultative Al-accumulator...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of the hexane extract of Byrsonima crassifolia seeds in experimental animal modelsAlethia Muñiz Ramirez
Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico
Altern Ther Health Med 19:26-36. 2013..Since pre- Hispanic times, the seeds of the fruits have been used in folklore medicine as an anti-inflammatory; however, currently no researchers have examined its potential pharmacological properties in scientific studies...
- Antioxidant, lipoxygenase and histone deacetylase inhibitory activities of Acridocarbus orientalis from Al Ain and OmanTaoufik Ksiksi
Department of Biology, U A E University, Al Ain, UAE
Molecules 17:12521-32. 2012....
- Clinical, biometric and ultrasound assessment of the effects of daily use of a nutraceutical composed of lycopene, acerola extract, grape seed extract and Biomarine Complex in photoaged human skinAdilson Costa
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
An Bras Dermatol 87:52-61. 2012..The use of nutraceuticals has become frequent in the cutaneous approach to photoaging...
- Mutagenicity and antimutagenicity of six Brazilian Byrsonima species assessed by the Ames testLívia Greghi Espanha
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Araraquara, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Rodovia Araraquara Jaú, km 1, 14801 902 Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:182. 2014In various regions of Brazil, several species of the genus Byrsonima (Malpighiaceae) are widely used to treat gastrointestinal complications...
- Nuclear and mitochondrial rDNA variability in Crinipellis perniciosa from different geographic origins and hostsMaricília C C de Arruda
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade de Brasilia, 70910 900, Brasilia DF, Brazil
Mycol Res 107:25-37. 2003..Sequence differences also indicated that C. perniciosa from T. cacao in Bahia is less variable (98%) when compared to the pathogen on T. cacao in Amazonas (97-98%), perhaps reflecting a recent introduction to T. cacao in Bahia...
- Local genetic differentiation among populations of the mass-flowering tropical shrub Erythroxylum havanense (Erythroxylaceae)César A Domínguez
Departamento de Ecologia Evolutiva, Instituto de Ecologia, UNAM AP 70 275, Mexico, DF 04510 Mexico
New Phytol 166:663-72. 2005....
- Immobilization of pectinmethylesterase from acerola (Malpighia glabra L.) in porous silicaSandra Aparecida de Assis
Instituto de Quimica, Departamento de Bioquímica e Tecnologia Química, UNESP, Rua Prof Francisco Degni, s n o, C P 355, CEP 14801 970, Araraquara, SP, Brasil
Biotechnol Lett 25:869-72. 2003..These efficiency values were 114% for the total PME and 351% for the partially purified PME. In both forms the immobilization resulted in compounds with high thermal stability...
- Genetic transformation of Glaphimia glauca by Agrobacterium rhizogenes and the production of norfriedelanesBlanca L Nader
Centro de Investigacion en Biotecnologia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Planta Med 70:1174-9. 2004Transformed root cultures of Galphimia glauca (Malpighiaceae) were established by infecting cotyledons and hypocotyls with Agrobacterium rhizogenes ATCC 15 834...
- Anthelmintic potential of three plants used in Nigerian ethnoveterinary medicineNwakaego E Nweze
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
Pharm Biol 51:311-5. 2013..The anthelmintic potential of the ethanol extracts of the leaves of I. gabonensis, F. exasperata, and V. amygdalina was investigated...
- Genotoxic and antigenotoxic activity of acerola (Malpighia glabra L.) extract in relation to the geographic originRoberta da Silva Nunes
Laboratory of Toxicologic Genetics, Post graduation in Cellular and Molecular Biology Applied to Health PPGBioSaúde, Lutheran Univ Brazil, ULBRA, 92 425 900, Canoas, RS, Brazil Health Science Center, Region of Campanha University, URCAMP, 96 400 110, Bage, RS, Brazil
Phytother Res 27:1495-501. 2013..Additional studies with other treatment regimens are necessary to better understand the impact of the complex mixture of acerola on genomic stability...
- Comparison of the chemical composition and biological effects of the roots, branches and leaves of Heteropterys tomentosa A. JussLyvia I G Paula-Freire
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 145:647-52. 2013HETEROPTERYS TOMENTOSA: A. Juss (Malpighiaceae), commonly mistaken as Heteropterys aphrodisiaca, is chronically used by the Brazilian population to improve general health due to its claimed protective effects against a wide range of ..
- Neuropharmacological in vivo effects and phytochemical profile of the extract from the aerial parts of Heteropterys brachiata (L.) DC. (Malpighiaceae)Maira Huerta-Reyes
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica del Sur, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Argentina No 1, Col Centro, Xochitepec, Morelos C P 62790, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 146:311-7. 2013..Heteropterys brachiata is a plant species that has been used in traditional Mexican medicine for the treatment of nervous disorders...
- Bioactive compounds and phenolic-linked functionality of powdered tropical fruit residuesRoberta T P Correia
Department of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, Campus Lagoa Nova, Natal, Brazil
Food Sci Technol Int 18:539-47. 2012..15 to 2.37 mg CE/mL). Therefore, acerola, jambolan and pitanga dried residues are promising natural ingredients for food and nutraceutical manufacturers, due to their rich bioactive compound content...
- Gastroprotective effect of Byrsonima sericea DC leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric injury and its possible mechanisms of actionPatrícia A Rodrigues
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Veterinárias, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Estadual do Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 84:113-22. 2012..These results suggest that BSLE affords gastroprotection through multiple mechanisms, which may be helpful in the treatment of pathologies associated with gastric dysfunctions...
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-hyperalgesic, antiplatelet and antiulcer activities of Byrsonima japurensis A. Juss. (Malpighiaceae)Fernanda Guilhon-Simplicio
Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade Federal do Amazonas, Rua Alexandre Amorim, 330, Aparecida, 69910 300, Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 140:282-6. 2012Decoctions or infusions of the stem bark of Byrsonima japurensis A. Juss. (Malpighiaceae) are widely used as an anti-inflammatory drug in folk medicine of Amazonas State (Brazil).
- Norfriedelins A-C with acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity from acerola tree (Malpighia emarginata)Jie Qing Liu
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Science, Kunming 650201, China
Org Lett 15:1580-3. 2013..Norfriedelin A (possessing an α-oxo-β-lactone group) and norfriedelin B (with a keto-lactone group) showed acetylcholinesterase inhibitory effects with the IC50 values of 10.3 and 28.7 μM, respectively...
- Amorimia exotropica poisoning as a presumptive cause of myocardial fibrosis in cattleMauro Pereira Soares
Laboratorio Regional de Diagnostico, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Vet Diagn Invest 23:1226-9. 2011..It is suggested that mitochondrial changes triggered alterations that lead to cardiac fibrosis and that all of these changes were induced by A. exotropica cardiotoxicity...
- Estimation of phytochemicals and antioxidant activity of underutilized fruits of Andaman Islands (India)D R Singh
Division of Horticulture and Forestry, Central Agricultural Research Institute CARI, Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Int J Food Sci Nutr 63:446-52. 2012..846, r² = 0.864, r² = 0.915 and r² = 0.806, respectively) with antioxidant activity. The information generated in present study will be useful for bioprospecting of underutilized fruits of Andaman Islands...
- Absorption and excretion of ascorbic acid alone and in acerola (Malpighia emarginata) juice: comparison in healthy Japanese subjectsEriko Uchida
Research and Development Division, Nichirei Foods Inc, Chiba, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 34:1744-7. 2011..These results indicate that some component of acerola juice favorably affected the absorption and excretion of ascorbic acid...
- The in vitro antiviral activity of an aliphatic nitro compound from Heteropteris aphrodisiacaFernando L Melo
Departamento de Microbiologia CCB, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Caixa Postal 6001, CEP 86051 990 Londrina Paraná, Brazil
Microbiol Res 163:136-9. 2008..Mach. (Malpighiaceae), a Brazilian medicinal plant...
- Anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive effects of the stem bark of Byrsonima intermedia A. JussLidiane Orlandi
Department of Physiological Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Federal University of Alfenas MG, 37130 000 Alfenas, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 137:1469-76. 2011..This study employed in vivo inflammatory and nociceptive models to evaluate the scientific basis for the traditional use of Byrsonima intermedia...
- Isolation and characterization of sodium 2-fluoroacetate from Mascagnia rigida using chromatography and infrared spectroscopyLuciana Castro da Cunha
Department of Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Av Prof Dr Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, 05508 270 SP, Brazil
Toxicon 60:329-32. 2012..The study of this material by planar chromatography and by infrared spectrometry indicated that the toxin can be a mixture of mono, di and trifluoroacetate...
- Similar genetic mechanisms underlie the parallel evolution of floral phenotypesWenheng Zhang
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University Herbaria, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e36033. 2012..The floral morphology of neotropical Malpighiaceae is distinctive and highly conserved, especially with regard to symmetry, and is thought to result from ..
- Antioxidant metabolism during fruit development of different acerola (Malpighia emarginata D.C) clonesLuciana De Siqueira Oliveira
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza CE, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 60:7957-64. 2012..If antioxidants were to be used in the food supplement industry, immature green would be the most suitable harvest stage; for the consumer's market, fruit should be eaten ripe...
- DNA barcoding of the Mexican sedative and anxiolytic plant Galphimia glaucaAshutosh Sharma
Centro de Investigacion en Biotecnologia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 144:371-8. 2012Galphimia glauca (Malpighiaceae) is a Mexican plant popularly used as a tranquilizer in the treatment of nervous system disorders, although it is also used to treat other common illnesses.
- Genetic variability in accessions of the acerola germplasm bank of Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, BrazilR M Moraes Filho
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
Genet Mol Res 12:5145-51. 2013Brazil is the world's largest producer of acerola, Malpighia emarginata (Malpighiaceae); the Northeast is responsible for 60% of the national production...
- Convergent evolution of floral signals underlies the success of Neotropical orchidsAlexander S T Papadopulos
Imperial College London, Silwood Park Campus, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7PY, UK
Proc Biol Sci 280:20130960. 2013..g. Trichocentrum ascendens and Oncidium nebulosum) and rewarding species of Malpighiaceae. We show that the species from these two distantly related families are often more similar in floral colour ..
- Phylogenomics and a posteriori data partitioning resolve the Cretaceous angiosperm radiation MalpighialesZhenxiang Xi
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University Herbaria, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:17519-24. 2012..net diversification rates across Malpighiales, with bursts of diversification noted in the Barbados cherries (Malpighiaceae), cocas (Erythroxylaceae), and passion flowers (Passifloraceae)...
- Aqueous fraction of Sauropus androgynus might be responsible for bronchiolitis obliteransIzumi Hashimoto
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine Faculties of Pharmacy, Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan
Respirology 18:340-7. 2013..We sought to elucidate the direct effects of SA on airway resident cells or haematopoietic cells and identify the SA element responsible for the pathogenesis of BO...
- Pterandra pyroidea: a case of pollination shift within neotropical MalpighiaceaeSimone C Cappellari
Integrative Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, One University Station, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Ann Bot 107:1323-34. 2011Most Neotropical species of Malpighiaceae produce floral fatty oils in calyx glands to attract pollinating oil-collecting bees, which depend on this resource for reproduction...
- A complete generic phylogeny of Malpighiaceae inferred from nucleotide sequence data and morphologyCharles C Davis
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University Herbaria, 22 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
Am J Bot 97:2031-48. 2010Premise of the study: The Malpighiaceae include ∼1300 tropical flowering plant species in which generic definitions and intergeneric relationships have long been problematic...
- Phenolic compounds from Byrsonima crassifolia L. bark: phytochemical investigation and quantitative analysis by LC-ESI MS/MSMariateresa Maldini
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano SA, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 56:1-6. 2011..The proposed analytical method is promising to be applied to other galloyl derivatives to quantify these bioactive compounds in raw material and final products...
- Crab spiders (Araneae: Thomisidae) in flowering plants in a Brazilian "Cerrado" ecosystemL C Rocha-Filho
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil, 14040 901
Braz J Biol 71:359-64. 2011..The plants Senna rugosa (Fabaceae), Styrax ferrugineus (Styracaceae) and Banisteriopsis campestris (Malpighiaceae), hosted, each one, about 10 to 17% of the total spiders collected and these plants had diurnal anthesis, bee-..
- New species of Chelonus (Microchelonus) Szépligeti, 1908 (Hymenoptera: Braconidae: Cheloninae) from BrazilA R Nascimento
Programa de Pós graduação em Ecologia e Recursos Naturais, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil, 13565 905
Braz J Biol 71:511-5. 2011..It was reared from an unknown host in murici fruits, Byrsonima verbascifolia (L.) Rich. ex A. L. Juss. (Malpighiaceae), a species from the Brazilian savannah whose fruits are widely consumed by the population in northern Brazil...
- Structural and functional characterization of polyphenols isolated from acerola (Malpighia emarginata DC.) fruitTakayuki Hanamura
Research and Development Division, Processed Foods Company, Nichirei Corporation, Chiba, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:280-6. 2005..C3R and quercitrin revealed strong radical scavenging activity. While the inhibitory profiles of isolated polyphenols except quercitrin towards alpha-glucosidase activity were low, all polyphenols strongly inhibited AGE formation...
- Application of liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry to the analysis of polyphenolic compounds from an infusion of Byrsonima crassa NiedenzuMiriam Sannomiya
Instituto de Quimica, Departamento de Quimica Organica, UNESP, CP 355, CEP 14800 900, Araraquara, SP Brasil
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19:2244-50. 2005..was developed to investigate the infusion prepared from the leaves of Byrsonima crassa Niedenzu (Malpighiaceae), a native plant used in Brazil against gastric disorders...
- Cytotoxic constituents from the stem bark of Dichapetalum gelonioides collected in the PhilippinesLiqiong Fang
Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences, and the Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
J Nat Prod 69:332-7. 2006..Dichapetalin A (1) was not active when evaluated in an in vivo hollow fiber assay in the dose range 1-6 mg/kg...
- Acylated and non-acylated flavonol monoglycosides from the Indian minor spice Nagkesar (Mammea longifolia)Lingamallu Jagan Mohan Rao
National Food Research Institute, 2 1 12, Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8642, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 50:3143-6. 2002....
- Partial purification and characterization of pectin methylesterase from acerola (Malpighia glabra L.)Sandra Aparecida de Assis
Instituto de Quimica, Departamento de Bioquímica e Tecnologia Química, UNESP, Rua Prof Francisco Degni s n, C P 355, CEP 14801 970, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 50:4103-7. 2002..081 and 0.12 mg/mL, respectively. The V(max) values of the total PME and the partially purified PME were 2.92 and 6.21 micromol/min/mL/mg of protein, respectively...
- Application of preparative high-speed counter-current chromatography for the separation of flavonoids from the leaves of Byrsonima crassa Niedenzu (IK)Miriam Sannomiya
Departamento de Quimica Organica, Instituto de Quimica, UNESP, Rua Francisco Degni s n, Bairro Quitandinha, CP 355, CEP 14800 900 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Chromatogr A 1035:47-51. 2004The methanolic extract of the leaves of the medicinal plant Byrsonima crassa (Malpighiaceae) contain flavonoids with antioxidant activity. They were separated in a preparative scale using high-speed counter-current chromatography...
- Acerola (Malpighia glabra L., M. punicifolia L., M. emarginata D.C.): agriculture, production and nutritionPaul D Johnson
Nutrilite Health Institute, Access Business Group LLC, Lakeview, Calif, USA
World Rev Nutr Diet 91:67-75. 2003
- Antioxidant activity of (+)-bergenin: a phytoconstituent isolated from the bark of Sacoglottis uchi Huber (Humireaceae)Heitor A De Abreu
Departamento de Quimica, ICEx Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Org Biomol Chem 6:2713-8. 2008..The possibilities of attack at other sites on 1 were investigated in detail in order to understand the regiospecificity of this reaction...
- Nuclear DNA amounts in 112 species of tropical hardwoods -- new estimatesD Ohri
Division of Genetics and Plant Breeding, National Botanical Research Institute, Rana Pratap Marg, Lucknow 226001, U P, India
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 6:555-61. 2004..08-fold) of variation, while the maximum (5.0-fold) is shown by the Fabaceae. The Boraginaceae, Lauraceae, Malpighiaceae, and Malvaceae generally have higher 4C DNA values of > 10 pg, while the Bixaceae, Caricaceae, Oxalidaceae, ..
- Headspace gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of volatile compounds in murici (Byrsonima crassifolia l. Rich)G L Alves
Faculdade de Engenharia de Alimentos, Departamento de Ciências de Alimentos, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Caixa Postal 6121, Campinas SP 13083 970, Brazil
J Chromatogr A 985:297-301. 2003..The most abundant compounds were ethanol (28.3%) and ethyl hexanoate (25.1%). Butanoic acid (5.1%), hexanoic acid (5.1%) and methyl butyrate (2.8%) were also detected in the headspace of the fruit and confirm its unusual cheese aroma...
- [Important bee plants to the africanized honey Bee Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in a fragment of savannah in Itirapina, São Paulo State, Brazil]Kiára Mendonça
Depto Entomologia, Fitopatologia e Zoologia Agricola, Escola Superior de Agricultura Luiz de Queiroz, Piracicaba, SP, 13418 900
Neotrop Entomol 37:513-21. 2008..7% represented in hony samples and 6.1% in pollen loads. Asteraceae, Bignoniaceae, Malpighiaceae and Myrtaceae were the most representative families.
- Antibacterial potentiality of Mesua ferrea Linn. flowersRupa Mazumder
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, India
Phytother Res 18:824-6. 2004..The extract at 200 microg/g body weight dosage, could significantly reduce the viable count of the strain Sulmonella typhimurium ATCC 6539 in liver, spleen and heart blood of the extract treated challenged mice...
- Galphimine B modulates synaptic transmission on dopaminergic ventral tegmental area neuronsB Prieto-Gomez
Centro de Investigación Biomédica del Sur IMSS, Xochitepec, Mor, Mexico
Planta Med 69:38-43. 2003Galphimine B (GB) is a bioactive compound isolated from the plant Galphimia glauca Cav. (Malpighiaceae) and has been shown to have central nervous system depressant properties...
- Mango and acerola pulps as antioxidant additives in cassava starch bio-based filmCarolina O Souza
Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Barão de Geremoabo, S N, Ondina, CEP 40171 970, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 59:2248-54. 2011..However, it was found that the high content of vitamin C in acerola pulp acted as a prooxidant agent, which suggests that the use of rich vitamin C pulps should be avoided as additives for films...
- Analysis of GDP-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase gene promoter from acerola (Malpighia glabra) and increase in ascorbate content of transgenic tobacco expressing the acerola geneAdebanjo A Badejo
Graduate School of Biosphere Sciences, Hiroshima University, Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima, Hiroshima, 739 8528 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 49:126-32. 2008..The AsA content of transgenic tobacco plants expressing the MgGMP gene including its promoter was about 2-fold higher than that of the wild type...
- Frugivory in Lacistema hasslerianum Chodat (Lacistemaceae), a gallery forest understory treelet in Central BrazilC Melo
Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
Braz J Biol 69:201-7. 2009..Antilophia galeata (Pipridae), although a territorial bird, presented the best dispersal efficiency for Lacistema hasslerianum, because of its consumption rate (2.82 whole fruits consumed/minute)...
- Brazilian plants as possible adaptogens: an ethnopharmacological survey of books edited in BrazilFúlvio Rieli Mendes
Cebrid, Department of Psychobiology at UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 109:493-500. 2007..anti-stress, memory enhancement, increased physical and/or sexual performance): Heteropterys aphrodisiaca (Malpighiaceae), Paullinia cupana (Sapindaceae), Ptychopetalum olacoides (Olacaceae), and Turnera diffusa (Turneraceae)...
- A new type of floral oil from Malpighia coccigera (Malpighiaceae) and chemical considerations on the evolution of oil flowersLars Seipold
Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry, Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Weinberg 3, D 06120 Halle Saale
Chem Biodivers 1:1519-28. 2004New, partially acetylated dihydroxy fatty acids could be identified in the floral oil of Malpighia coccigera (Malpighiaceae): 7-OAc,3-OH 20:0, 7-OAc,3-OH 22:0, 9-OAc,3-OH 22:0, 9-OAc,5-OH 22:0, 3,9-diOAc 22:0, 9-OAc,3-OH 24:0, and 11-OAc,..
- Expression of Human Therapeutic Proteins in Transgenic Tobacco ChloroplastsHenry Daniell; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful completion of these studies would make transgenic chloroplasts ideal bioreactors for the production of safe and less expensive therapeutic proteins and open the door for in depth studies of membrane proteins. ..