Summary: A plant genus of the family ASTERACEAE. Members contain germacrane and sesquiterpene LACTONES.
Publications163 found, 100 shown here
- In vitro screening of two Nigerian medicinal plants (Vernonia amygdalina and Annona senegalensis) for anthelmintic activityC B I Alawa
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Vet Parasitol 113:73-81. 2003b>Vernonia amygdalina and Annona senegalensis, two plants used by local/smallholder livestock farmers in Nigeria as anthelmintic were screened for in vitro anthelmintic activity using Haemonchus contortus eggs. The extract of V...
- In vitro cytotoxic elemanolides from Vernonia lasiopusJ L Koul
Planta Med 69:164-6. 2003..were isolated after chromatographic separation of the alcoholic extract of the dried aerial parts of the Vernonia lasiopus...
- Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activities of Vernonia amygdalina on acetaminophen-induced hepatic damage in miceB A Iwalokun
Department of Biochemistry, Lagos State University, Apapa, Nigeria
J Med Food 9:524-30. 2006b>Vernonia amygdalina Del. (Family Compositae) is used in Nigerian folk medicine as a tonic and remedy against constipation, fever, high blood pressure, and many infectious diseases...
- Cytotoxic activity of the dichloromethane fraction from Vernonia scorpioides (Lam.) Pers. (Asteraceae) against Ehrlich's tumor cells in miceT Pagno
Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade do Vale do Itajai, Itajai, SC, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:1483-91. 2006b>Vernonia scorpioides has been widely used in Brazil to treat skin problems and chronic wounds, such as ulcers of the lower limbs and diabetic lesions...
- Antimalarial activity of sesquiterpene lactones from Vernonia cinereaAun Chea
Laboratoire de Pharmacognosie, Faculte de Pharmacie, Marseille, France
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:1437-9. 2006..C and D as well as six known ones were isolated from the dichloromethane fraction of an aqueous extract from Vernonia cinerea. Their structures were elucidated by spectroscopic methods...
- Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of ethyl acetate:isopropanol (1:1) fraction of Vernonia anthelmintica seeds in streptozotocin induced diabetic ratsShaik Sameena Fatima
Department of Biochemistry, S V University, Tirupati 517502, AP, India
Food Chem Toxicol 48:495-501. 2010Ethanolic extract prepared from the seeds of Vernonia anthelmintica was evaluated for its antihyperglycemic activity in STZ (Streptozotocin) induced diabetic rats. Administration of ethanolic extract at a dosage of 0...
- Vernonia DGATs can complement the disrupted oil and protein metabolism in epoxygenase-expressing soybean seedsRunzhi Li
Department of Plant and Soil Science, University of Kentucky, KY 40546 0312, USA
Metab Eng 14:29-38. 2012..developed to co-express SlEPX and DGAT (diacylglycerol acyltransferase) genes (VgDGAT1 & 2) isolated from Vernonia galamensis, a high accumulator of epoxy fatty acids...
- Vernonia polyanthes as a new source of antiulcer drugsVictor Barbastefano
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, S N, CP 6109, CEP13083 970, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Fitoterapia 78:545-51. 2007Methanolic (VPME) and chloroformic (VPCL) extracts, obtained from the aerial parts of Vernonia polyanthes, were investigated for its antiulcerogenic properties...
- Vernonia cinerea L. scavenges free radicals and regulates nitric oxide and proinflammatory cytokines profile in carrageenan induced paw edema modelP Pratheesh Kumar
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Kerala State, India
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 31:94-102. 2009In this study, we evaluated the anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of the medicinal plant, Vernonia cinerea L (Asteraceae) using in vitro as well as in vivo models...
- Vernolide-A, a sesquiterpene lactone from Vernonia cinerea, induces apoptosis in B16F-10 melanoma cells by modulating p53 and caspase-3 gene expressions and regulating NF-κB-mediated bcl-2 activationPoyil Pratheeshkumar
Amala Cancer Research Center, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, India
Drug Chem Toxicol 34:261-70. 2011..These results suggest that vernolide-A induces apoptosis via activation of p53-induced, caspase-3-mediated proapoptotic signaling and suppression of NF-κB-induced, bcl-2-mediated survival signaling...
- Antimycoplasmal activity of some plant species from northern Nigeria compared to the currently used therapeutic agentI A Muraina
Phytomedicine Programme, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, South Africa
Pharm Biol 48:1103-7. 2010..are obligate parasites of humans and animals. But due to the special requirements needed to culture Mycoplasma in the laboratory, little or no research has been done to evaluate the efficacy of medicinal plants on the organism...
- Toxicity study of Vernonia cinereaL Yoga Latha
School of Biological Sciences, University Science of Malaysia, Minden, Penang, Malaysia
Pharm Biol 48:101-4. 2010The methanol extract of Vernonia cinerea Less (Asteraceae), which exhibited antimicrobial activity, was tested for toxicity...
- Effect of the crude extract of Vernonia polyanthes Less. on blood pressure and renal sodium excretion in unanesthetized ratsR Romanezi da Silveira
Disciplina de Medicina Interna, Laboratório Balanço Hidro Salino, Nucleo de Medicina e Cirurgia Experimental, Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Phytomedicine 10:127-31. 2003This study evaluated the effect of oral crude Vernonia polyanthes Less. hydroalcoholic extract administration (CHE, 0.5 and 1.0 g/kg body wt., daily for 7 days) on arterial blood pressure and renal sodium excretion in conscious rats...
- Synergistic antidiabetic activity of Vernonia amygdalina and Azadirachta indica: biochemical effects and possible mechanismItem Justin Atangwho
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, P M B 1115, Calabar, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 141:878-87. 2012..In Nigeria, the leaves of Vernonia amygdalina Del. (VA) and Azadirachta indica A...
- Alcohol extract from Vernonia anthelmintica (L.) willd seed enhances melanin synthesis through activation of the p38 MAPK signaling pathway in B16F10 cells and primary melanocytesJia Zhou
Center for Drug Screening, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009, China
J Ethnopharmacol 143:639-47. 2012b>Vernonia anthelmintica (L.) willd has been used in folk medicine to treat leukoderma in China for centuries. The promoting activities of its extract (AVE) in melanogenesis and possible signaling pathways were investigated in this article.
- Sesquiterpene lactones with potent cytotoxic activities from Vernonia chinensisXin Chen
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Zu Chong Zhi Road, Shanghai 201203, P R China
Planta Med 71:949-54. 2005..13-O-acetate (8), 8 alpha-tigloyloxyhirsutinolide 13-O-acetate ( 9) and vernolide-B (10) were isolated from Vernonia chinensis...
- Gross morphometric reduction of rats' cerebellum by gamma irradiation was mitigated by pretreatment with Vernonia amygdalina leaf extractO Owoeye
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Rom J Morphol Embryol 52:81-8. 2011The methanolic extract of Vernonia amygdalina (M) or "bitter leaf" is known for its antioxidant activity, and antioxidants are noted to mitigate radiation damage in tissues...
- Novel cationic amphiphilic derivatives from vernonia oil: synthesis and self-aggregation into bilayer vesicles, nanoparticles, and DNA complexantsS Grinberg
The Institutes for Applied Research, and the Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Langmuir 21:7638-45. 2005Self-assembling nanostructures were prepared from novel cationic amphiphilic compounds synthesized from vernonia oil, a natural epoxydized triglyceride...
- New flavonoid glycosides from Vernonia ferrugineaNicola Malafronte
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano, Salerno, Italy
Nat Prod Commun 4:1639-42. 2009..ether 3-O-beta-D-xylopyranoside, along with other known flavonoids and phenolic derivatives, were isolated from the leaves of Vernonia ferruginea Less. Their structures were established on the basis of detailed spectral analysis.
- Structural and immunological studies of a pectin and a pectic arabinogalactan from Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex Walp. (Asteraceae)Cecilie Sogn Nergard
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Oslo, P O Box 1068, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Carbohydr Res 340:115-30. 2005..15 x 10(6)Da, respectively, were isolated from the dried powdered roots of Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex Walp...
- Structures and structure-activity relationships of three mitogenic and complement fixing pectic arabinogalactans from the malian antiulcer plants Cochlospermum tinctorium A. Rich and Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex WalpCecilie Sogn Nergard
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Oslo, P O Box 1068, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Biomacromolecules 7:71-9. 2006Structures of three pectic arabinogalactans, one from Vernonia kotschyana (Vk2a) and two from Cochlospermum tinctorium (Ct50A1 and Ct50A2), and their complement fixation and induction of B cell proliferation in vitro were compared...
- Wound healing activity and systemic effects of Vernonia scorpioides extract in guinea pigS N Leite
Núcleo de Investigações Químico Farmacêuticas, Curso de Farmácia, CCS, Universidade do Vale do Itajaí UNIVALI Rua Uruguai, 458 Itajaí, Santa Caterina, 88302 202, Brazil
Fitoterapia 73:496-500. 2002The ethanolic leaves extract of Vernonia scorpioides was investigated for its wound healing activity in guinea pigs...
- Cytotoxic sesquiterpenoids from Vernonia bockianaJun Huo
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 10:571-5. 2008..A (5), hirsutolide (6), and beta-d-glucopyranosyl taraxinic ester (7), were isolated from the aerial part of Vernonia bockiana. Their structures were determined by spectroscopic analysis, especially 2D NMR...
- Novel cationic vesicle platform derived from vernonia oil for efficient delivery of DNA through plant cuticle membranesZeev Wiesman
Phyto Lipid Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
J Biotechnol 130:85-94. 2007Novel cationic amphiphilic compounds were prepared from vernonia oil, a natural epoxidized triglyceride, and studied with respect to vesicle formation, encapsulation of biomaterials such as DNA, and their physical stability and transport ..
- Aqueous Vernomia amygdalina extracts alter MCF-7 cell membrane permeability and effluxMichael M Opata
The Laboratory of Phytoceuticals, and Cancer Prevention and Therapies Department of Biology, Jackson State University, 1400 J R Lynch Street, P O Box 18540, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 3:174-9. 2006..05). The amount of [3H]thymidine released into the medium was 1.7, 7.4, and 11.0 % for 0, 30, and 100 mug/ml VA respectively. Thus suggesting the membranes in VA-treated cells were compromised in a concentration-dependent fashion...
- Antinociceptive and acute toxicity evaluation of Vernonia condensata Baker leaves extracted with different solvents and their mixturesWagner E Risso
Department of Chemistry, State University of Londrina, 8651 980 Londrina, Parana, Brazil
Indian J Exp Biol 48:811-6. 2010Extract of Vernonia condensata (Asteraceae = Compositae) leaves has different uses in Brazilian folk medicine, which includes analgesic and antiinflamatory agent...
- Preclinical assessment of vernonia amygdalina leaf extracts as DNA damaging anti-cancer agent in the management of breast cancerClement Yedjou
Cellomics and Toxicogenomics Research Laboratory, NIH RCMI Center for Environmental Health, 1400 Lynch Street, P O Box 18540, Jackson, MS, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 5:337-41. 2008..Hence, the aim of the present study was to assess the therapeutic efficacy of vernonia amygdalina (VA) leaf extracts as anti-cancer agent against human breast cancer in vitro using the MTT [3-(4, 5-..
- In vivo antimalarial activity of Vernonia amygdalinaAnthonia O Abosi
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, PO Box 70050, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana
Br J Biomed Sci 60:89-91. 2003Extracts from the leaves and root bark of Vernonia amygdalina are assessed for antimalarial activity against drug-sensitive Plasmodium berghei in mice...
- Hepatoprotective effects of Vernonia amygdalina (astereaceae) in rats treated with carbon tetrachlorideOmolola A Adesanoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Exp Toxicol Pathol 62:197-206. 2010The possible modulatory effect of methanolic extract of Vernonia amygdalina (MEVA), a plant widely consumed in the tropics and used locally in the treatment of fever, jaundice, stomach disorders and diabetes on the toxicity of CCl(4), was ..
- The analgesic and antiplasmodial activities and toxicology of Vernonia amygdalinaAnoka A Njan
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Mbarara, Uganda
J Med Food 11:574-81. 2008b>Vernonia amygdalina possesses several bioactive compounds and is used in traditional medicines of southwestern Uganda, along with other regions. Its analgesic potential has not been investigated thus far...
- Cloning, characterization and functional analysis of a 1-FEH cDNA from Vernonia herbacea (Vell.) RusbyAmanda Francine Asega
Seção de Fisiologia e Bioquímica de Plantas, Instituto de Botânica, CP 3005, 01061 970, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Plant Cell Physiol 49:1185-95. 2008Variations in the inulin contents have been detected in rhizophores of Vernonia herbacea during the phenological cycle...
- Protective effects of extracts of Vernonia amygdalina, Hibiscus sabdariffa and vitamin C against radiation-induced liver damage in ratsOluwatosin Adaramoye
Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Radiat Res 49:123-31. 2008The radioprotective efficacy of methanolic extracts of leaves of Vernonia amygdalina (VA) and Hibiscus sabdariffa (HS), and vitamin C (VIT C) against gamma radiation (4 Gy) induced liver damage was studied in male Wistar albino rats...
- Diacylglycerol acyltransferases from Vernonia and Stokesia prefer substrates with vernolic acidKeshun Yu
Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40546, USA
Lipids 41:557-66. 2006..preferences of acyl CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferases (DGAT) of two natural high accumulators of vernolic acid, Vernonia galamensis and Stokesia laevis, as compared with a common oilseed crop soybean...
- Enhanced antimalarial effects of chloroquine by aqueous Vernonia amygdalina leaf extract in mice infected with chloroquine resistant and sensitive Plasmodium berghei strainsB A Iwalokun
Department of Biochemistry, Lagos State University, Ojo, P M B 1087, Apapa Lagos, Nigeria
Afr Health Sci 8:25-35. 2008....
- Analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory effects of methanol, chloroform and ether extracts of Vernonia cinerea less leafE O Iwalewa
Department of Pharmacology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 86:229-34. 2003The chloroform, methanolic and ether extracts of Vernonia cinerea (Asteraceae; Less) leaf (100, 200 and 400mg/kg intraperitoneally) were tested in: acetic acid-induced writhing in mice, carrageenin-induced oedema and brewer's yeast-..
- Hypoglycaemic and antidiabetic activity of acetonic extract of Vernonia colorata leaves in normoglycaemic and alloxan-induced diabetic ratsG Y Sy
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie et de Physiologie, Faculte de Medecine et Pharmacie, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, BP 5005, Dakar, Senegal
J Ethnopharmacol 98:171-5. 2005The aqueous extract of Vernonia colorata (Willd.) Drake (Composeae) leaves is used by African traditional medicine practitioners as a remedy for the treatment of diabetes...
- Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Vernonia cinerea Less. extract in ratsU K Mazumder
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India
Phytomedicine 10:185-8. 2003The methanol extract of the whole plant of Vernonia cinerea Less. was evaluated for its anti-inflammatory activity in acute (carrageenin, histamine and serotonin induced rat paw edema) and a chronic model (cotton pouch induced granuloma)...
- Vernonia DGATs increase accumulation of epoxy fatty acids in oilRunzhi Li
Department of Plant and Soil Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Plant Biotechnol J 8:184-95. 2010..This fatty acid can accumulate to high levels in the seed oil of some plant species such as Vernonia galamensis and Stokesia laevis which are unsuitable for large-scale production...
- Bioactive sesquiterpene lactones from the leaves of Vernonia amygdalinaP Erasto
Department of Botany, University of Fort Hare, Alice 5700, South Africa
J Ethnopharmacol 106:117-20. 2006Phytochemical analysis of the leaves of Vernonia amygdalina yielded two known sesquiterpene lactones: vernolide and vernodalol. The two compounds were tested by agar dilution method against 10 bacteria strains and 5 fungi species...
- Isolation, partial characterisation and immunomodulating activities of polysaccharides from Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex WalpCecilie Sogn Nergard
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, PO Box 1068, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Ethnopharmacol 91:141-52. 2004The roots from Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex Walp. (Baccharoides adoensis var. kotschyana (Sch. Bip. ex Walp.) M.A. Isawumi, G.El-Ghazaly & B...
- Separation of flavonoids from the seeds of Vernonia anthelmintica Willd by high-speed counter-current chromatographyGuilian Tian
Beijing Institute of New Technology Application, Beijing 100035, China
J Chromatogr A 1049:219-22. 2004..2',3,4,4'-tetrahydroxychalcone, 5,6,7,4'-tetrahydroxyflavone and butin, were separated from the seeds of Vernonia anthelmintica Willd by high-speed counter-current chromatography using a two-step operation...
- Sesquiterpenoids from Vernonia cinereaXin Chen
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, 201203, P R China
Nat Prod Res 20:125-9. 2006..vernocinolide A (1), as well as ten known ones (2-11), were isolated from the ethyl acetate soluble fraction of Vernonia cinerea. The structure of vernocinolide A (1) was elucidated by spectroscopic methods...
- Sesquiterpenoids from Vernonia cinereaXin Chen
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Zu Chong Zhi Road, Zhangjiang Hi Tech Park, Shanghai, P R China 201203
Nat Prod Res 20:31-5. 2006..The structure of vernocinolide A was elucidated by spectroscopic methods. Among the known sesquiterpenoids, nine of them were isolated from this plant for the first time...
- Pro- and antioxidant effects and cytoprotective potentials of nine edible vegetables in southwest NigeriaE O Iwalewa
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Med Food 8:539-44. 2005..Crassocephalum rubens showed the highest antioxidant activity (56.5%), Solanum americanum and Vernonia amygdalina exhibited moderate antioxidant activity (26.0-37.5% and 14.8-36...
- [Mechanisms of action of acetonic and hexanic extracts of leaves of Vernonia colorata (Willd.) Drake (Composeae) on blod glucose regulation]G Y Sy
Laoratoire de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Medecine, Pharmacie et d Odonto stomatologie, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, BP 5005, Dakar, Senegal
Dakar Med 51:42-6. 2006This study aimed to investigate the mechanism of action of acetonic and hexanic extracts of the leaves of Vernonia colorata on blood glucose regulation.
- Antibacterial activity of Vernonia cinereaMalaya Gupta
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta 700 032, India
Fitoterapia 74:148-50. 2003The benzene extract of Vernonia cinerea showed a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity.
- Antileishmanial and antifungal activity of plants used in traditional medicine in BrazilFernanda G Braga
Departamento de Parasitologia, Microbiologia e Imunologia, ICB, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 111:396-402. 2007..Among the 20 tested methanolic extracts, those of Vernonia polyanthes was the most active against L...
- Nutritive value and haemolytic properties (in vitro) of the leaves of Vernonia amygdalina on human erythrocyteG Oboh
Biochemistry Department, Federal University of Technology, P M B 704, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria
Nutr Health 18:151-60. 2006b>Vernonia amygdalina (Bitter leaf) is popularly consumed in many homes in Nigeria as a vegetable in soup preparation, while the infusion is used in folk medicine in the treatment of malaria fever...
- Ent-kaurane glycosides and sesquiterpene lactones of the hirsutinolide type from Vernonia triflosculosaOlha Kos
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Biotechnology, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Stefan Meier Street 19, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Phytochemistry 67:62-9. 2006Investigation of the aerial parts of Vernonia triflosculosa afforded three hirsutinolides of which 8alpha-(4alpha-hydroxymethacryloyloxy)-10alpha-hydroxy-1,13-dimethoxy-hirsutinolide is new, three ent-kaurane diterpenes, among which the ..
- Amelioration of carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity by terpenoid extract from leaves of Vernonia amydgalinaO O Babalola
Department of Environmental Management and Toxicology, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 30:91-3. 2001Sesquiterpene lactone extract from the leaves of Vernonia amygdalina was tested for antihepatotoxic activity. Adult male rats were selected for the study...
- Phytogrowth-inhibitory lactones derivatives of glaucolide BLuiz Claúdio de A Barbosa
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Vicosa, 36571 000 Vicosa, MG, Brazil
Z Naturforsch C 59:803-10. 2004The sesquiterpene lactone glaucolide B (1), isolated from Vernonia fruticulosa (Asteraceae), was transformed into six lactones (2-7). The structures of the products were elucidated by spectroscopic analysis...
- Evaluation of antipyretic potential of Vernonia cinerea extract in ratsMalaya Gupta
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta 700032, India
Phytother Res 17:804-6. 2003The methanol extract of the whole plant of Vernonia cinerea (MEVC) was evaluated for its antipyretic potential on normal body temperature and yeast-induced pyrexia in rats...
- Relaxation of uterine and aortic smooth muscle by glaucolides D and E from Vernonia liatroidesMaria Campos
Unit of Medical Research in Pharmacology, National Medical Center S XXI, Mexican Institute of Social Security, San Francisco 350 502, Col del Valle, Mexico City 03100, Mexico
Biol Pharm Bull 26:112-5. 2003b>Vernonia spp. (Asteraceae) are used in herbolaria in Latin America in menstrual and stomach disorders, suggesting smooth muscle relaxing properties of some of their chemical constituents...
- [Studies on the constituents from the herb of Vernonia patula]Qiao li Liang
Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 28:235-7. 2003To isolate and elucidate the chemical constituents of the whole plant of Vernonia patula, and to provide samples for biological activity screening.
- Stigmastane derivatives and isovaleryl sucrose esters from Vernonia guineensis (Asteraceae)Alembert T Tchinda
Department of Chemistry, University of Dschang, Box 67, Dschang, Cameroon
Phytochemistry 63:841-6. 2003..alpha-D-glucopyranoside (4), have been isolated from the stem bark of Vernonia guineensis. The structures of the new compounds were determined on the basis of spectroscopic evidence.
- Novel acylkaempferol glycoside from the endemic species, Vernonia travancorica Hook. fT R Seetharaman
Department of Chemistry, Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies, Pondicherry, India
J Asian Nat Prod Res 6:295-9. 2004b>Vernonia travancorica Hook. f. is a taxon, endemic to the evergreen forests of Western Ghats (above 1000 m), India...
- Medicinal and ethnoveterinary remedies of hunters in TrinidadC Lans
Group Technology and Agrarian Development, Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen University, The Netherlands
BMC Complement Altern Med 1:10. 2001..Ethnomedicines are used by hunters for themselves and their hunting dogs in Trinidad. Plants are used for snakebites, scorpion stings, for injuries and mange of dogs and to facilitate hunting success...
- Iodine status and the effect of soil erosion on trace elements in Nanka and Oba towns of Anambra State, NigeriaIfeyinwa C Olife
Department of Applied Biochemistry, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
Ann Chim 97:895-903. 2007..present study, the levels of iodine, selenium, zinc and lead in the environment (measured in soil, bitter leaves (Vernonia amygdalina), cassava roots (mannihot utilissima, staple food in Nigeria), and drinking water) and urinary iodine ..
- In vitro immunomodulating properties of selected Sudanese medicinal plantsW S Koko
Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research Institute, National Center for Research, Khartoum, Sudan
J Ethnopharmacol 118:26-34. 2008..to be irreversible in most of the extracts, except for Peganum harmala, Tephrosia apollinea, Tinospora bakis, and Vernonia amygdalina. Interestingly, the fruits of Balanites aegyptiaca exhibited a moderate proinflammatory effect (37-40...
- Lipids as renewable resources: current state of chemical and biotechnological conversion and diversificationJ O Metzger
Institut fur Reine und Angewandte Chemie, Carl von Ossietzky Universitat Oldenburg, Postfach 2503, 26111, Oldenburg, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 71:13-22. 2006..and vernolic acid (10) from Vernonia galamensis are becoming industrially available...
- Phytochemical screening and antibacterial activities of Vernonia ambigua, Vernonia blumeoides and Vernonia oocephala (Asteraceae)Abubakar B Aliyu
Department of Chemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria Nigeria
Acta Pol Pharm 68:67-73. 2011Some Vernonia species (Vernonia ambigua, Vernonia blumeoides and Vernonia oocephala) used in Northern Nigerian traditional medicine, were subjected to phytochemical screening using standard procedures...
- Determination of the fatty acid composition of saponified vegetable oils using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometryF O Ayorinde
Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 14:608-15. 2000..is described and illustrated with the analysis of palm kernel oil, palm oil, olive oil, canola oil, soybean oil, vernonia oil, and castor oil...
- Use of medicinal plants for the treatment of measles in NigeriaM A Sonibare
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 122:268-72. 2009..The present study was an ethnobotanical survey of three Local Government areas of the Ijebu area of Ogun State in southwest Nigeria for plants used in the treatment of measles...
- In vitro antimicrobial assay of plants used in traditional medicine in bukoba rural district, TanzaniaDp Kisangau
Department of Botany, University of Dar es Salaam, P O Box 35060, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 4:510-23. 2007..Pseudospondias microcarpa Engl., Psorospermum febrifugum Spach, Teclea nobilis Del. and Vernonia adoensis [Warp...
- Transgenic production of epoxy fatty acids by expression of a cytochrome P450 enzyme from Euphorbia lagascae seedEdgar B Cahoon
DuPont Crop Genetics, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880 0402, USA
Plant Physiol 128:615-24. 2002..by the activity of a Delta(12)-oleic acid desaturase-like enzyme in seeds of the Asteraceae Crepis palaestina and Vernonia galamensis...
- In Vivo antimalarial activity of aqueous extracts from Kenyan medicinal plants and their chloroquine (CQ) potentiation effects against a blood-induced CQ-resistant rodent parasite in miceFrancis W Muregi
Department of Parasitology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Phytother Res 21:337-43. 2007..Extracts of three plants, Toddalia asiatica (root bark), Rhamnus prinoides (leaves and root bark) and Vernonia lasiopus (root bark) showed high chemosuppression in the range 51%-75%. Maytenus acuminata, M. heterophylla, M...
- Anthelminthic activity of acetone extract and fractions of Vernonia amygdalina against Haemonchus contortus eggs and larvaeIsaiah Oluwafemi Ademola
Phytomedicine Programme, Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Bag X04, Onderstepoort 0110, South Africa
Trop Anim Health Prod 43:521-7. 2011..Acetone extract and solvent-solvent fractions of Vernonia amygdalina Del...
- Effect of food plants on the volume of repellent secretion obtained in adult Zonocerus variegatus (Orthoptera: Pyrgomorphidae)A B Idowu
Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Rev Biol Trop 49:679-84. 2001..Insects fed on leaves of cassava Manihot esculenta, bitter leaves Vernonia amygdalina, and a mixture of M...
- Antimalarial activity of crude extracts from nine African medicinal plantsAli Mohamed Kaou
Laboratoire de Pharmacognosie, EA864, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de la Mediterranee Aix Marseille II, 13385 Marseille, Cedex 5, France
J Ethnopharmacol 116:74-83. 2008..microg/ml), for roots decoction of Flueggea virosa (IC(50)=3 microg/ml) and for chloromethylenic roots extract of Vernonia colorata (Willd.) Drake subsp. grandis (DC.) C. Jeffrey (Asteraceae) (IC(50)=3 microg/ml)...
- Antimycobacterial activities of selected medicinal plants from Zimbabwe against Mycobacterium aurum and Corynebacterium glutamicumT Chimponda
Department of Biochemistry, University of Zimbabwe, PO Box MP 167, Mount Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
Trop Biomed 27:595-610. 2010..b>Vernonia adoensis and Mangifera indica extracts at 500 mg/disk had the highest growth inhibitory activity against M...
- Herbal medicines used in the treatment of malaria in Budiope county, UgandaJohn R S Tabuti
Department of Botany, Makerere University, P O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
J Ethnopharmacol 116:33-42. 2008..This study was conducted to document herbal medicines (HMs) used in the treatment of malaria as well as the existing knowledge, attitudes and practices related to malaria recognition, control and treatment in Budiope county, Uganda...
- In-vitro antibacterial activity of selected medicinal plants from Longisa region of Bomet district, KenyaK R Cheruiyot
Department of Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University, P O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 9:S42-6. 2009..out to determine the antibacterial activity of plant extracts of Olea africana stem-bark, Psidium guajava leaves, Vernonia amygdalina leaves, Lantana camara leaves and Mangifera indica leaves which are used in folklore medicine to treat ..
- Purification and properties of exo-inulinases from Penicillium janczewskii growing on distinct carbon sourcesRosemeire A B Pessoni
Universidade Metodista de São Paulo, CP 5002, Sao Bernardo do Campo, SP 09735 460, Brazil
Mycologia 99:493-503. 2007Penicillium janczewskii, isolated from the rhizosphere of Vernonia herbacea, grows rapidly on media containing either sucrose or inulin, although inulin more than sucrose induced the production of inulinases...
- Effect of drought and re-watering on fructan metabolism in Vernonia herbacea (Vell.) RusbyPaola M A Garcia
Núcleo de Pesquisa em Fisiologia e Bioquímica de Plantas, Instituto de Botânica, C Postal 3005, 01031 970 São Paulo, Brazil
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:664-70. 2011b>Vernonia herbacea (Vell.) Rusby, a native species from the Brazilian Cerrado, accumulates about 80% of fructans in the rhizophores, the underground reserve organs...
- Evaluation of phytochemical and antimicrobial properties of leaf extract of Tapinanthus sessilifolius (P. Beauv) van TieghFlorence D Tarfa
Departament of Medicinal Chemistry and Quality Control, National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development NIPRD, Idu Industrial Area, P M B 21, Garki Abuja, Nigeria
Indian J Exp Biol 42:326-9. 2004Leaf extracts of T. sessilifolius growing on five different host plants (Psidium guajava, Citrus lemon, Vernonia amygdalina, Persea americana and Jatropa curcas) were evaluated for antimicrobial activity of the plant. Powdered leaves of T...
- Antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants used by herbalists in eastern province, kenyaP G Kareru
Department of Chemistry, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, P O Box 62000 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:51-5. 2007..8 - 18.0 mm. Terminalia brownii gave the largest inhibition zones against E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Vernonia lasiopus and Tithonia diversifolia were inactive to S. aureus and Bacillus subtilis, respectively...
- Evaluation of the hepatotoxic and hepatoprotective effect of Rwandese herbal drugs on in vivo (guinea pigs barbiturate-induced sleeping time) and in vitro (rat precision-cut liver slices, PCLS) modelsMarie Jeanne Mukazayire
Laboratoire de Pharmacognosie, de Bromatologie et de Nutrition Humaine, Institut de Pharmacie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Campus de la Plaine CP 205 9, Bd du Triomphe, B 1050 Bruxelles, Belgique
Exp Toxicol Pathol 62:289-99. 2010..Aqueous extracts of Ocimum lamiifolium, Crassocephalum vitellinum, Guizotia scabra and Vernonia lasiopus leaves allowed animals to recover barbiturate sleep duration in proportions of 88%, 78%, 61% and 34%, ..
- Antimicrobial effects of three tropical plant extracts on Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Candida albicansR N Okigbo
Department of Botany, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:226-9. 2008Antimicrobial activities of the leaf extracts of Cymbopogon citatrus (lemongrass) and Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf) and the seed extracts of Garcinia kola (bitter kola) were carried out. G...
- Expression of a Stokesia laevis epoxygenase geneTomoko Hatanaka
Faculty of Agriculture, Kobe University, 1 1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
Phytochemistry 65:2189-96. 2004..The similarities of this gene at the amino acid sequence level with epoxygenases of Vernonia and Crepis, and the delta12 desaturases of soybean, FAD2-1 and FAD2-2, are 84%, 69%, 49%, and 55%, respectively...
- Identification of hydroxycinnamoylquinic acids of arnica flowers and burdock roots using a standardized LC-DAD-ESI/MS profiling methodLong Ze Lin
Food Composition and Methods Development Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:10105-14. 2008..identified compounds in common plants (artichokes, asparagus, coffee bean, honeysuckle flowers, sweet potato, and Vernonia amygdalina leaves) and chemically modified standards...
- Brine shrimp toxicity of some plants used as traditional medicines in Kagera Region, north western TanzaniaM J Moshi
Department of Biological and Preclinical Studies, Institute of Traditional Medicine, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Box 65001, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tanzan J Health Res 12:63-7. 2010..3 microg/ml), Vernonia bradycalyx (LC50 33.9 microg/ml), Antiaris toxicaria (LC50 38.2 microg/ml) and Rubus rigidus (LC50 41...
- Structure-immunomodulating activity relationships of a pectic arabinogalactan from Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex WalpCecilie Sogn Nergard
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Oslo, PO Box 1068, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Carbohydr Res 340:1789-801. 2005..characteristics of the pectic arabinogalactan Vk2a (previously reported as Vk100A2a) from the roots of Vernonia kotschyana Sch. Bip. ex Walp...
- A facile and efficient four-step enantioselective synthesis of (+)-vernolepin from (+)-minimolide, the major germacranolide of Mikania minimaSandra M Bach
INQUINOA CONICET, Ayacucho 471, S M de Tucumán, T4000INI Argentina
Nat Prod Commun 6:433-8. 2011..transformations described here mimetize the biogenetic pathway for the production of (+)-vernolepin in the genus Vernonia. The synthesized (+)-vernolepin, but not its precursors, shows antifungal activity similar to amphotericin B...
- Effect of Vernonia cognata on oxidative damage induced by ethanol in ratsC S Mota
Graduate Program in Biological Sciences Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Health Basic Sciences, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Hum Exp Toxicol 30:675-84. 2011..Thus, strategies to counteract EtOH toxicity are highly desirable. This study was aimed at evaluating whether Vernonia cognata extract would reduce EtOH effects in rats...
- Isolation and structure determination of a sesquiterpene lactone (vernodalinol) from Vernonia amygdalina extractsXuan Luo
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Pharm Biol 49:464-70. 2011b>Vernonia amygdalina Del. (VA; Asteraceae or Compositae) is a small tree growing throughout tropical Africa. It is widely used for food and medicinal purposes by local people...
- Isolation and characterization of the antibreast carcinoma cell growth components of Vernonia amygdalina extractsXuan Luo
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 235:1472-8. 2010b>Vernonia amygdalina (VA) is widely used for medicinal and food purposes in tropical Africa. Many health benefits (antioxidant, antimicrobial, anticancer activities and more) of VA extracts have been reported...
- Development of an in vitro coculture of primary sensitive pig neurons and keratinocytes for the study of cutaneous neurogenic inflammationUlysse Pereira
Laboratory of Nervous Factors and Tissue Structure EA 4326, University of Western Brittany, Brest, France
Exp Dermatol 19:931-5. 2010..Based on our screen, we found that extracts of Laminaria digitata and Vernonia sublutea inhibit CNI.
- Modulation of immune response by Vernonia cinerea L. inhibits the proinflammatory cytokine profile, iNOS, and COX-2 expression in LPS-stimulated macrophagesP Pratheeshkumar
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 33:73-83. 2011The effect of methanolic extract of Vernonia cinerea L. on the immune system was studied using BALB/c mice. Intraperitoneal (i.p...
- Frequency of complementary and alternative medicine utilization in hypertensive patients attending an urban tertiary care centre in NigeriaOluwatoyin C Amira
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, PMB 12003, Lagos, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:30. 2007..To study the frequency and pattern of use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in patients with essential hypertension attending a tertiary hypertension clinic...
- Complete assignments of 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopic data for three new stigmastane glycosides from Vernonia cumingianaMaorong Suo
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100094, China
Magn Reson Chem 47:179-83. 2009..saponins, Vernoniosides S1 (1), Vernoniosides S2 (2) and Vernoniosides S3 (3) were isolated from the stem of Vernonia cumingian. Their chemical structures were elucidated on the basis of MS, NMR spectroscopic and chemical analysis...
- Hirsutinolides from Vernonia cinerascensE Abdel-Sattar
Pharmacognosy Department, College of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Egypt
Pharmazie 55:144-5. 2000The aerial parts of Vernonia cinerascens, collected in Saudi Arabia, yielded a new hirsutinolide, together with three known lactones...
- Polyphenols-rich Vernonia amygdalina shows anti-diabetic effects in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsKhang Wei Ong
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117597, Singapore
J Ethnopharmacol 133:598-607. 2011This study aims to investigate the hypoglycemic properties of Vernonia amygdalina Del. (VA) and its possible mechanisms of action in a single-dose STZ induced diabetic rat model.
- Vernonia cinerea Less. supplementation and strenuous exercise reduce smoking rate: relation to oxidative stress status and beta-endorphin release in active smokersDonrawee Leelarungrayub
Oxidative Stress and Exercise Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200
J Int Soc Sports Nutr 7:21. 2010The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of Vernonia cinerea Less. (VC) supplementation and exercise on oxidative stress biomarkers, beta-endorphin release, and the rate of cigarette smoking.
- [Application of fingerprint of active part on extraction techniques for Vernonia anthelmintica]Lu hai Yu
The Clinical Medical Institute of Xinjiang, Urumqi 830001, China
Zhong Yao Cai 30:1589-91. 2007To probe into feasibility of extraction techniques for Vernonia anthelmintica using HPLC fingerprint of active part as model.
- Synthesis of novel cationic bolaamphiphiles from vernonia oil and their aggregated structuresS Grinberg
Department of Chemistry, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Chem Phys Lipids 153:85-97. 2008..These bolaamphiphiles were derived from vernonia oil, whose main constituent is vernolic acid, a fatty acid with a unique combination of epoxy, carboxy and ..
- HPLC analysis and cytotoxic activity of Vernonia cinereaMom Khay
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology, UMR MD3, Faculty of Pharmacy, Aix Marseille University, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Nat Prod Commun 7:1259-62. 2012..medicinal plants (Aganosma marginata, Dracaena cambodiana, Harrisonia perforata, Hymenodictyon excelsum and Vernonia cinerea) were evaluated in vitro for their cytotoxic activity against HT29 colon adenocarcinoma cells and HepG2 ..
- Anti-inflammatory sesquiterpene lactones from the flower of Vernonia cinereaUi Joung Youn
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Hawaii at Hilo, Hilo, HI 96720, United States
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:5559-62. 2012Bioassay-guided fractionation of the hexane extract from the flowers of Vernonia cinerea (Asteraceae) led to the isolation of a new sesquiterpene lactone, 8α-hydroxyhirsutinolide (2), and a new naturally occurring derivative, 8α-..
- Antiplasmodial and anti-inflammatory activities of Canthium henriquesianum (K. Schum), a plant used in traditional medicine in Burkina FasoDenise P Ilboudo
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmacologiche e Biomolecolari, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Pascal 36, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Ethnopharmacol 148:763-9. 2013..Schum). In parallel, extracts of Gardenia sokotensis (Hutch) and Vernonia colorata (Willd), also traditionally used together in Burkina Faso and already reported with antimalarial ..
- Antioxidative and chemopreventive properties of Vernonia amygdalina and Garcinia biflavonoidEbenezer O Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:2533-55. 2011..b>Vernonia amygdalina is a perennial herb belonging to the Asteraceae family...
- Interfacial and self-assembly properties of bolaamphiphilic compounds derived from a multifunctional oilTanya Hutter
Department of Chemical Engineering, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, PO Box 653, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
J Colloid Interface Sci 365:53-62. 2012..Six cationic bolaamphiphiles were synthesized from multifunctional vernonia oil with the following variations: (a) two different alkyl chain lengths connecting the head groups, (b) polar ..
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of ethanolic extract of aerial parts of Vernonia patula (Dryand.) MerrArpona Hira
Pharmacy Discipline, Life Science School, Khulna University, Khulna 9208, Bangladesh Electronic address
Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 3:798-805. 2013To investigate the inflammatory and antioxidant activities of ethanolic extract of aerial part of Vernonia patula (Dryand.) Merr (EAV).
- Enhance and Expand University Research InfrastructureCarolyn Howard; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..