Summary: A plant genus of the family ARACEAE. The common names of 'Coco Yam' (Cocoyam) or 'Elephant's Ear' may be confused with COLOCASIA and other ARACEAE or with common yam (DIOSCOREA). It contains LECTINS.
- Ethnobotany and natural products: the search for new molecules, new treatments of old diseases or a better understanding of indigenous cultures?Michael Heinrich
Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, The School of Pharmacy, Univ London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London, WC1N 1AX, UK
Curr Top Med Chem 3:141-54. 2003..Other species investigated include Begonia heracleifolia, Crossopetalum gaumerii, Epaltes mexicana, Pluchea symphytifolia and Xanthosoma robustum.
- In vitro availability of some essential minerals in commonly eaten processed and unprocessed Caribbean tuber cropsLowell L Dilworth
Biochemistry Section, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston, 7, Jamaica
Biometals 20:37-42. 2007..and Mg and the extent of their availability were assessed in four commonly eaten Caribbean tuber crops [dasheen (Xanthosoma spp...
- Arsenic, cadmium, and mercury in cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagititolium) and watercocoyam (Colocasia esculenta) in Tarkwa a mining communityD K Essumang
Environmental Research Group, Department of Chemistry, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 79:377-9. 2007Cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagititolium) and Watercocoyam (Colocasia esculenta) have gained increased importance in the diets of majority of people in developing countries such as Ghana...
- Production and characterization of Xanthosoma sagittifolium and Colocasia esculenta floursE E Perez
Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología de Alimentos, Facultad de Ciencias, University Central de Venezuela
J Food Sci 72:S367-72. 2007..rate of flours produced by conventional dehydration techniques of the edible portions of the aroids Xanthosoma sagittifolium and Colocasia esculenta were investigated...
- A Kunitz proteinase inhibitor from corms of Xanthosoma blandum with bactericidal activityThaís B Lima
Centro de Análises Proteômicas e Bioquímicas, Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Genômicas e Biotecnologia, Universidade Católica de Brasília, Brasília, Brazil
J Nat Prod 74:969-75. 2011..In this report, an initial screening of proteins with antibacterial activity from corms of 15 species of the Xanthosoma genus was conducted...
- Physicochemical, morphological, and rheological characterization of Xanthosoma robustum Lego-like starchSandra M Londoño-Restrepo
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de Materiales, Centro de Física Aplica y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Campus Juriquilla, Queretaro, Qro C P 76230, México Universidad del Quindío, Programa de Química, Armenia, Quindio, Colombia
Int J Biol Macromol 65:222-8. 2014This work presents the physicochemical and pasting characterization of isolated mafafa starch and mafafa flour (Xanthosoma robustum)...
- A preliminary report on oral glucose tolerance and antinociceptive activity tests conducted with methanol extract of Xanthosoma violaceum aerial partsMohammad Faisal
Department of Pharmacy, University of Development Alternative, Dhanmondi, Dhaka 1209, Bangladesh
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:335. 2014b>Xanthosoma violaceum is commonly observed in fallow areas of Bangladesh but almost no scientific studies exist on this plant. Rural people consume the plant on a frequent basis...
- Nanocasting technique to prepare lotus-leaf-like superhydrophobic electroactive polyimide as advanced anticorrosive coatingsKung Chin Chang
Department of Chemistry and Center for Nanotechnology, Chung Yuan Christian University CYCU, Chung Li, Taiwan 32023, Republic of China
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:1460-7. 2013..was used to obtain a biomimetic superhydrophobic electroactive polyimide (SEPI) surface structure from a natural Xanthosoma sagittifolium leaf. An electroactive polyimide (EPI) was first synthesized through thermal imidization...
- Lectin structure-activity: the story is never overIrwin J Goldstein
Department of Biological Chemistry, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0606, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:6583-5. 2002..An unusual lectin with two distinctly different carbohydrate-binding sites is present in tubers of Xanthosoma sagittifolium (L). One species of sites recognizes clusters of oligomannosyl residues...
- In vitro antimalarial activity of extracts of some plants from a biological reserve in Costa RicaMisael Chinchilla
Laboratorio de Investigación Universidad de Ciencias Medicas Dr Andrds Vesalio Guzmin UCIMED, San JosC, Costa Rica, Amdrica Central
Rev Biol Trop 60:881-91. 2012..tridentata (Acanthaceae); Xanthosoma undipes (Araceae); Iriartea deltoidea (Arecaceae); Neurolaena lobata (Asteraceae); Senna papillosa, Pterocarpus ..
- Screening of antifungal agents using ethanol precipitation and bioautography of medicinal and food plantsGracilene Schmourlo
Nucleo de Pesquisas de Produtos Naturais, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Centro de Ciencias da Saude CCS, Bloco H, Cidade Universitaria, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 96:563-8. 2005..The most susceptible yeast was Trichophyton rubrum and the best antifungal activity was shown by Xanthosoma sagittifolium supernatant...
- An efficient in vitro propagation protocol of cocoyam [Xanthosoma sagittifolium (L) Schott]Anne E Sama
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1173, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:346595. 2012..Shoots produced with BAP were larger and more normal in appearance than those produced with TDZ, which were small, compressed, and stunted. The use of stationary liquid media is recommended for economic reasons...
- Genetic analyses of Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. dieffenbachiae strains reveal distinct phylogenetic groupsR S Donahoo
University of Florida, FL, USA
Phytopathology 103:237-44. 2013..Other phylogenetic subclusters consisting primarily of strains isolated from xanthosoma and philodendron in clusters III and IV, respectively, may yet represent other undescribed species or pathovars ..
- Taioba (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) leaves: nutrient composition and physiological effects on healthy ratsElisa de Almeida Jackix
Dept of Food and Nutrition, School of Food Engineering, Univ of Campinas Unicamp, R Monteiro Lobato, 80, PO Box 6121, Campinas, SP 13083 862, Brazil
J Food Sci 78:H1929-34. 2013..Taioba (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) is an edible aroid widely grown in many parts of Africa, America, and Asia...
- Optimization of composite flour biscuits by mixture response surface methodologyLaura C Okpala
Department of Food Science and Technology, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria
Food Sci Technol Int 19:343-50. 2013..Optimization suggested biscuits containing 75.30% sorghum, 0% pigeon pea and 24.70% cocoyam flours as the best proportion of these components. This sample received good scores for the sensory attributes...
- Xanthosoma sagittifolium and Laportea aestuans: species used to prevent osteoporosis in Brazilian traditional medicineGisele Lopes de Oliveira
Department of Botany, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brazil
Pharm Biol 50:930-2. 2012b>Xanthosoma sagittifolium Schott. (Araceae) and Laportea aestuans (L.) Chew (Urticaceae) are two medicinal species used as food and to prevent and treat bone diseases, such as osteoporosis, in traditional Brazilian medicine.
- Phenazines and biosurfactants interact in the biological control of soil-borne diseases caused by Pythium sppMaaike Perneel
Department of Crop Protection, Laboratory of Phytopathology, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Environ Microbiol 10:778-88. 2008..in the biological control of Pythium splendens on bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L) and Pythium myriotylum on cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium L Schott)...
- Atherogenic potentials of some Nigerian mealsE U Eyong
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 22:15-8. 2007The atherogenic potentials of peeled grated cocoyam (Xanthosoma maffafa scot) "ekpang nkukwo", pounded yam (Discorea spp) with plain soup "afia efere", and plantain porridge (Musa paradisiaca) "iwuk ukom" meals were investigated...
- Sequence characterization of Dasheen mosaic virus isolates from cocoyam in NicaraguaGuillermo Reyes
Department of Plant Biology and Forest Genetics, Uppsala Biocenter SLU, Uppsala, Sweden
Arch Virol 154:159-62. 2009Dasheen mosaic virus (DsMV) is an important constraint to production of cocoyam (Xanthosoma spp.) in Nicaragua...
- Elimination of phenols, ammonia and cyanide in wash water from biomass gasification, and nitrogen recycling using planted trickling filtersAndreas Graber
Institute of Natural Resource Sciences, Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Gruental, Waedenswil 8820, Switzerland
Water Sci Technol 60:3253-9. 2009..However, the questions of long-term performance and possible accumulation of phenols and heavy metals in the produce still have to be studied...
- Fluorescent pseudomonads as biocontrol agents for sustainable agricultural systemsMonica Hofte
Laboratory of Phytopathology, Department of Crop Protection, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, Gent, Belgium
Res Microbiol 161:464-71. 2010..In both case studies, access to reference strains from public and private collections was essential for identification, phylogenetic studies and metabolite characterization...
- Tuber storage proteinsPeter R Shewry
Long Ashton Research Station, Department of Agricultural Sciences, University of Bristol, Long Ashton, Bristol BS41 9AF, UK
Ann Bot 91:755-69. 2003..and taro (Colocasia, Cyrtosperma and Xanthosoma spp.)...
- The glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) of five commonly consumed foods of the South PacificJimaima Lako
Asia Pacific Health and Nutrition Centre, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Clayton 3800, Victoria, Australia
Pac Health Dialog 11:47-54. 2004..The foods tested were plantain (Musa AAB), tannia (Xanthosoma sagittifolium), roti or chappati, homemade pancake and Lees cabin crackers...
- Genetic structure of seventy cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium, Linn, Schott) accessions in Ghana based on RAPDS K Offei
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Crop Science, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Hereditas 140:123-8. 2004..The 70 accessions did not cluster into their distinct geographical regions suggesting that there may have been movement of germplasm across the two regions...
- Glycaemic index of selected staples commonly eaten in the Caribbean and the effects of boiling v. crushingD Dan Ramdath
Department of Preclinical Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Br J Nutr 91:971-7. 2004..antiquorum; 61 (sem 10)), Irish potato (Solanum tuberosum; 71 (sem 8)), tannia (Xanthosoma sagittifolium; 60 (sem 5)) and white yam (Dioscorea alata; 62 (sem 6)), and, in study 3, crushing did not ..
- Malanga (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) and purslane (Portulaca oleracea) leaves reduce oxidative stress in vitamin A-deficient ratsSandra F Arruda
Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Departamento de Biologia Celular, Laboratorio de Biofisica, Campus Universitário Darci Ribeiro, Universidade de Brasilia, Asa Norte, DF, Brazil
Ann Nutr Metab 48:288-95. 2004..This study examined the ability of tropical vegetables to reduce oxidative stress induced by vitamin A deficiency...
- Carotenoids from malanga (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) leaves protect cells against oxidative stress in ratsS F Arruda
Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Departamento de Biologia Celular, Laboratorio de Biofisica, Campus Universitário Darci Ribeiro, Universidade de Brasilia, Asa Norte, Distrito Federal, Brazil
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 75:161-8. 2005..The results indicate that at physiological levels, beta-car, malanga carotenoids extract, and malanga leaf powder have antioxidant effects in rats...
- Rapid radiation and cryptic speciation in mediterranean triplefin blennies (Pisces: Tripterygiidae) combining multiple genesJosep Carreras-Carbonell
Centre d Estudis Avançats de Blanes CSIC, Carrer d accés a la cala Sant Francesc 14, Blanes, 17300 Girona, Spain
Mol Phylogenet Evol 37:751-61. 2005..m. melanurus and T. m. minor) are endemic of the Mediterranean, and T. delaisi (T. d. delaisi and T. d. xanthosoma) is found in both areas...
- Loss of pectin is an early event during infection of cocoyam roots by Pythium myriotylumThaddée Boudjeko
UMR CNRS 6037, IFRMP 23 Centre Commun de Microscopie Electronique, Universite de Rouen, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan, France
Planta 223:271-82. 2006Cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) is an important tuber crop in most tropical zones of Africa and America. In Cameroon, its cultivation is hampered by a soil-borne fungus Pythium myriotylum which is responsible for root rot disease...
- Studies on the hydrothermal modifications of new cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) starchOlayide S Lawal
Department of Chemical Sciences, Olabisi Onabanjo University, P M B 2002, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria
Int J Biol Macromol 37:268-77. 2005..The regelatinization peak also became larger and shifted to higher temperature range when the storage days increased from 2 to 7...
- Intraspecific variability of Pythium myriotylum isolated from cocoyam and other host cropsMaaike Perneel
Laboratory of Phytopathology, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Mycol Res 110:583-93. 2006Intraspecific variability within 51 isolates of Pythium myriotylum from cocoyam (Xanthosoma sagittifolium) and other host crops was analysed using optimum growth temperature, esterase banding patterns, AFLPs, rDNA-ITS sequencing, and ..
- Quantitative study of Xanthosoma violaceum leaf surfaces using RIMAPS and variogram techniquesEduardo A Favret
Instituto de Suelos, Centro de Investigaciones de Recursos Naturales CIRN, Instituto de Tecnología Agropecuaria INTA, De Las Cabañas y Los Reseros S N, B1712WAA, Castelar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Microsc Res Tech 69:684-8. 2006..b>Xanthosoma violaceum was analyzed to illustrate the characteristics of both techniques...
- Food processing methods influence the glycaemic indices of some commonly eaten West Indian carbohydrate-rich foodsP S Bahado-Singh
Biotechnology Centre, University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica
Br J Nutr 96:476-81. 2006..and sweet yams (Dioscorea alata), sweet potato (Solanum tuberosum), Irish potato (Ipomoea batatas), coco yam (Xanthosoma spp...
- Population structure within and between subspecies of the Mediterranean triplefin fish Tripterygion delaisi revealed by highly polymorphic microsatellite lociJ Carreras-Carbonell
Centre d Estudis Avançats de Blanes CSIC, Car Acc Cala St Francesc 14, Blanes, 17300 Girona, Spain
Mol Ecol 15:3527-39. 2006..In T. d. xanthosoma, isolation by distance was detected between the eight analysed populations, and six genetically homogeneous ..
- Preparation of indigestible pyrodextrins from different starch sourcesAlexander Laurentin
Instituto de Biologia Experimental, Universidad Central de Venezuela, P O Box 47069, Caracas 1041 A, Venezuela
J Agric Food Chem 51:5510-5. 2003..Experiments with lentil and cassava starches showed that changing dextrinization conditions also affects the susceptibility to enzymatic hydrolysis of the product...
- Characterization of CMR5c and CMR12a, novel fluorescent Pseudomonas strains from the cocoyam rhizosphere with biocontrol activityM Perneel
Laboratory of Phytopathology, Department Crop Protection, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
J Appl Microbiol 103:1007-20. 2007..To screen for novel antagonistic Pseudomonas strains producing both phenazines and biosurfactants that are as effective as Pseudomonas aeruginosa PNA1 in the biocontrol of cocoyam root rot caused by Pythium myriotylum...
- Phenolic constituents and antioxidant properties of Xanthosoma violaceum leavesPatrizia Picerno
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche and Scuola di Specializzazione in Scienza e Tecnologia Cosmetiche, University of Salerno, Invariante 11 C, 84084 Fisciano, Salerno, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 51:6423-8. 2003An extract of Xanthosoma violaceum leaves was subjected to a polyphenol profile determination, including total polyphenols, and antioxidant activity evaluation...