Genomes and Genes
borrelia burgdorferi group
Summary: Gram-negative helical bacteria, in the genus BORRELIA, that are the etiologic agents of LYME DISEASE. The group comprises many specific species including Borrelia afzelii, Borellia garinii, and BORRELIA BURGDORFERI proper. These spirochetes are generally transmitted by several species of ixodid ticks.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- The expanding Lyme Borrelia complex--clinical significance of genomic species?G Stanek
Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:487-93. 2011..spielmanii has been detected in early skin disease, and B. bissettii and B. valaisiana have been detected in specimens from single cases of Lyme borreliosis. The clinical role of B. lusitaniae remains to be substantiated...
- Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Russia and neighbouring countries: high incidence of mixed isolatesD Postic
, Institut Pasteur, Paris
Res Microbiol 148:691-702. 1997..3% of isolates were mixtures of Borrelia species). A detailed analysis of Borrelia species distribution over the territories studied is presented...
- A new Borrelia species defined by multilocus sequence analysis of housekeeping genesGabriele Margos
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, 3 South, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:5410-6. 2009..We suggest that OspA serotype 4 strains be raised to species status and named Borrelia bavariensis sp. nov. The rooted phylogenetic trees provide novel insights into the evolutionary history of LB spirochetes...
- Tickborne pathogen detection, Western Siberia, RussiaVera A Rar
Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, Siberian Branch Russian Academy of Sciences, Lavrentyev s Avenue 8, 630090 Novosibirsk, Russia
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1708-15. 2005..persulcatus, whereas B. garinii NT29 DNA was seen in samples from D. reticulatus. Among the I. persulcatus ticks studied, no Babesia spp. were observed, whereas B. canis canis was the single subspecies found in D. reticulatus...
- Identification of Ehrlichia spp. and Borrelia burgdorferi in Ixodes ticks in the Baltic regions of RussiaA N Alekseev
Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia
J Clin Microbiol 39:2237-42. 2001..burgdorferi sensu lato. These observations show that the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis may be present in ticks in the Baltic regions of Russia and that clinicians should be aware of this agent as a cause of febrile disease...
- Whole genome sequence of an unusual Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolateSherwood R Casjens
Department of Pathology, Room 2200 EEJMRB, 15 North Medical Drive East, University of Utah Medical School, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Bacteriol 193:1489-90. 2011..burgdorferi sensu stricto, but it is sufficiently genetically distinct from that species that it and its close relatives warrant its candidacy for new-species status. We suggest that this isolate should be named "Borrelia finlandensis."..
- Population genetics, taxonomy, phylogeny and evolution of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu latoGabriele Margos
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Infect Genet Evol 11:1545-63. 2011....
- The Borrelia burgdorferi circular plasmid cp26: conservation of plasmid structure and targeted inactivation of the ospC geneK Tilly
Laboratory of Microbial Structure and Function, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
Mol Microbiol 25:361-73. 1997..This first example of directed gene inactivation in B. burgdorferi shows that the OspC protein is not required for stable maintenance of cp26 or growth in culture...
- Absence of Lyme disease spirochetes in larval Ixodes ricinus ticksDania Richter
Abt Parasitologie, Institut fur Pathologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 12:21-7. 2012..No undisputable proof exists for vertical transmission of Lyme disease spirochetes, whereas B. miyamotoi appears to be readily passed between generations of vector ticks...
- Simultaneous detection and genotyping of three genomic groups of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Dutch Ixodes ricinus ticks by characterization of the amplified intergenic spacer region between 5S and 23S rRNA genesS G Rijpkema
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Antimicrobial Agents, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 33:3091-5. 1995..burgdorferi sensu lato in ticks collected in the field. This technique provides new ways to study the association of genomic groups present in ticks and the risk of Lyme borreliosis...
- Prevalence of tick-borne pathogens in Ixodes ricinus and Dermacentor reticulatus ticks from different geographical locations in BelarusAnna L Reye
Institute of Immunology, Centre de Recherche Public de la Santé National Public Health Laboratory, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
PLoS ONE 8:e54476. 2013..Identified hotspots of infected ticks should be included in future surveillance studies, especially when F. tularensis ssp. and C. burnetii are involved...
- Prevalence of Bartonella henselae and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato DNA in ixodes ricinus ticks in EuropeFlorian Dietrich
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum, Eberhard Karls Universitat, Elfriede Aulhorn Strasse 6, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:1395-8. 2010..No tick was found to be coinfected with B. henselae and B. burgdorferi sensu lato. Taken together, our data indicate that ticks might serve as a vector for the transmission of B. henselae to humans...
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato genospecies in Ixodes ricinus ticks in Europe: a metaanalysisCarolin Rauter
Biochemical Pharmacology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7203-16. 2005..afzelii and B. garinii are the most common Borrelia species, but the distribution of genospecies seems to vary in different regions in Europe. The most frequent coinfection by Borrelia species was found for B. garinii and B. valaisiana...
- Abundance of wild rodents, ticks and environmental risk of Lyme borreliosis: a longitudinal study in an area of Mazury Lakes district of PolandEdward Sinski
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 13:295-300. 2006..It follows, therefore, that any factor which reduces the relative density of A. flavicollis in comparison to other hosts in the wild rodent community, will reduce also the risk of human exposure to Lyme borreliosis spirochetes...
- Whole-genome sequences of Borrelia bissettii, Borrelia valaisiana, and Borrelia spielmaniiSteven E Schutzer
Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
J Bacteriol 194:545-6. 2012..Recently, Borrelia valaisiana, Borrelia spielmanii, and Borrelia bissettii have been associated with Lyme disease. We report the complete genome sequences of B. valaisiana VS116, B. spielmanii A14S, and B. bissettii DN127...
- Occurrence of different Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato genospecies including B. afzelii, B. bavariensis, and B. spielmanii in hedgehogs (Erinaceus spp.) in EuropeJasmin Skuballa
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Zoological Institute, Dept of Ecology and Parasitology, Kornblumenstrasse 13, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 3:8-13. 2012..burgdorferi s.l. genospecies in various habitats. We hypothesise that juvenile or individuals with low immune competence in particular, have a high reservoir potential for the 3 genospecies identified here...
- Co-feeding transmission and its contribution to the perpetuation of the lyme disease spirochete Borrelia afzeliiDania Richter
Abteilung Parasitologie, Institut fur Pathologie, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Malteserstrasse, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1421-5. 2002..afzelii depends largely on horizontal transmission of such pathogens from previously infected mice to noninfected larvae...
- Identification of three clinically relevant Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato genospecies by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of 16S-23S ribosomal DNA spacer ampliconsRenate Ranka
Biomedical Research and Study Centre, University of Latvia, LV 1067 State Public Health Agency, LV 1012, Riga, Latvia
J Clin Microbiol 42:1444-9. 2004..burgdorferi species and subspecies with various degrees of pathogenic potential directly in ticks. These features are important in monitoring Lyme disease...
- Ixodes ricinus as a vector of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Babesia microti in urban and suburban forestsJoanna Stanczak
Medical University of Gdansk, Interfaculty Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine, 9B Powstania Styczniowego str, 81 519 Gdynia, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 11:109-14. 2004..3 %). Among adult ticks (n = 303), 8.3 % were dually infected with A. phagocytophilum and B. burgdorferi s.l., 2.0 % with the agent of human anaplasmosis and B. microti and 0.3 % with borreliae and B. microti...
- Prevalence of Babesia canis, Borrelia afzelii, and Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in hard ticks removed from dogs in Warsaw (central Poland)Wojciech Zygner
Division of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw Agricultural University, Ciszewskiego 8, 02 786 Warsaw, Poland
Vet Parasitol 153:139-42. 2008..This work is the first detection of B. afzelii and A. phagocytophilum in ticks from Warsaw, and the first survey for the prevalence of B. canis, B. afzelii, and A. phagocytophilum in ticks in central Poland...
- Molecular analysis of genes encoding outer surface protein C (OspC) of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato: relationship to ospA genotype and evidence of lateral gene exchange of ospCS Jauris-Heipke
Max von Pettenkofer Institut für Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie der Universität München, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 33:1860-6. 1995..afzelii strain. In addition, other recombination events between ancestors of strains belonging to the same or different species were evidenced by this type of analysis...
- The tick salivary protein Salp15 inhibits the killing of serum-sensitive Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolatesTim J Schuijt
Leiden University Medical Centre, Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Leiden, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 76:2888-94. 2008..In the presence of normal human serum, serum-sensitive Borrelia burgdorferi requires protection against complement-mediated killing, which is provided, at least in part, by the binding to the tick salivary protein Salp15...
- Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks from Norway: evaluation of a PCR test targeting the chromosomal flaB geneAndrew Jenkins
Unilabs Telelab, Skien, Norway
Exp Appl Acarol 58:431-9. 2012..The flaB test is a rapid, sensitive and specific test for detection and quantification of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. in I. ricinus ticks. This is the first report on Borrelia prevalence in I. ricinus in Northern Norway...
- A new animal model for studying Lyme disease spirochetes in a mammalian host-adapted stateD R Akins
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
J Clin Invest 101:2240-50. 1998..Cultivation of B. burgdorferi in rat peritoneal implants represents a novel system for studying Lyme disease spirochetes in a mammalian host-adapted state...
- Distribution of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in ChinaQin Hao
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Beijing, People s Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 49:647-50. 2011..All Borrelia valaisiana strains were isolated from Guizhou Province. Additionally, one B. burgdorferi strain was isolated from Hunan Province. Our results show the diversity and wide distribution of B. burgdorferi sensu lato in China...
- Ixodes ricinus density and infection prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato along a North-facing altitudinal gradient in the Rhône Valley (Switzerland)Caroline Burri
Institut de Biologie, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:50-8. 2007..Four B. burgdorferi sensu lato genospecies were detected: B. afzelii (40%), B. garinii (22%), B. valaisiana (12%) and B. burgdorferi sensu stricto (6%). Mixed infections were detected in 13% of infected ticks...
- Complex population structure of Lyme borreliosis group spirochete Borrelia garinii in subarctic EurasiaPär Comstedt
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 4:e5841. 2009....
- Diversity of Borrelia genospecies in Ixodes ricinus ticks in a Lyme borreliosis endemic area in Switzerland identified by using new probes for reverse line blottingLise Gern
Institute of Biology, Laboratory of Eco Epidemiology of Parasites, University of Neuchatel, Emile Argand 11, Case Postale 158, 2009 Neuchatel, Switzerland
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 1:23-9. 2010..Mixed infection with RFL spirochaetes and Lyme borreliosis spirochaetes were detected in 4 ticks. In addition, the set of probes could identify the recently described species, B. bavariensis...
- Characterization of Borrelia sp. isolated from Ixodes tanuki, I. turdus, and I. columnae in Japan by restriction fragment length polymorphism of rrf (5S)-rrl (23S) intergenic spacer ampliconsT Masuzawa
Department of Microbiology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 142:77-83. 1996..burgdorferi sensu lato isolates previously reported. Furthermore, some B. afzelii and B. garinii isolated in Japan showed unique RFLP patterns which were not observed among European B. afzelii and B. garinii...
- Molecular evidence for Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks from eastern SlovakiaMarketa Derdakova
Faculty of Medicine, P J Safarik University, Srobarova 2, 041 80 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 10:269-71. 2003..These results indicate that both B. burgdorferi s.l. and A. phagocytophilum co-circulate in the enzootic sites of Eastern Slovakia and may cause co-infection in humans...
- Molecular typing of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato: taxonomic, epidemiological, and clinical implicationsG Wang
Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Rev 12:633-53. 1999..The current taxonomic status of B. burgdorferi sensu lato and its epidemiological and clinical implications, especiallly correlation between the variable clinical presentations and the infecting Borrelia species, are discussed in detail...
- Association of Borrelia afzelii with rodents in EuropeK Hanincová
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Parasitology 126:11-20. 2003..afzelii is specifically maintained by European rodents, validating the concept of host-association of B. burgdorferi s.l...
- Epidemiological aspects and molecular characterization of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. from southern Germany with special respect to the new species Borrelia spielmanii sp. novVolker Fingerle
National Reference Center for Borreliae, Max von Pettenkofer Institut für Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Pettenkoferstrasse 9a, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 298:279-90. 2008..This genetic heterogeneity reveals that B. spielmanii sp. nov. did not evolve just recently...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Borrelia species based on flagellin gene sequences and its application for molecular typing of Lyme disease borreliaeM Fukunaga
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Hiroshima, Japan
Int J Syst Bacteriol 46:898-905. 1996..The PCR-RFLP typing method which we developed should facilitate rapid identification of Lyme disease borreliae and related organisms obtained from biological and clinical specimens...
- Temporal changes in outer surface proteins A and C of the lyme disease-associated spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi, during the chain of infection in ticks and miceT G Schwan
Laboratory of Human Bacterial Pathogenesis, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:382-8. 2000..Therefore, the temporal synthesis of OspC by spirochetes only in feeding ticks that were infected prior to the blood meal suggests that this surface protein is involved in transmission from tick to mammal but not from mammal to tick...
- Transmission cycles of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato involving Ixodes ricinus and/or I. hexagonus ticks and the European hedgehog, Erinaceus europaeus, in suburban and urban areas in SwitzerlandL Gern
Institut de Zoologie, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 44:309-14. 1997..europaeus and I. hexagonus. The close association of I. hexagonus with the burrows of its hosts mean that the risks of contact between I. hexagonus and humans may be low...
- An avian reservoir (Turdus merula) of the Lyme borreliosis spirochetesP F Humair
Departement de Parasitologie, Universite de Neuchatel, Switzerland
Zentralbl Bakteriol 287:521-38. 1998..garinii, similar to the association existing between small rodents and B. afzelii. Our observations emphasize the fact that different enzootic cycles maintain Lyme borreliosis spirochetes in nature...
- PCR-Based quantification of Borrelia burgdorferi organisms in canine tissues over a 500-Day postinfection periodR K Straubinger
James A Baker Institute for Animal Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:2191-9. 2000..Only 1.6% of 576 blood samples of all dogs were positive for B. burgdorferi by PCR...
- Introduced Siberian chipmunks (Tamias sibiricus barberi) harbor more-diverse Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato genospecies than native bank voles (Myodes glareolus)M Marsot
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, UR 346 Epidémiologie Animale, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:5716-21. 2011..afzelii. If chipmunks are competent reservoir hosts for B. burgdorferi sensu lato, they may spill back B. burgdorferi sensu lato to native communities and eventually may increase the risk of Lyme disease transmission to humans...
- Delineation of a new species of the Borrelia burgdorferi Sensu Lato Complex, Borrelia americana sp. novNataliia Rudenko
Georgia Southern University, James H Oliver, Jr Institute of Arthropodology and Parasitology, Statesboro, Georgia 30460 8056, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3875-80. 2009..nov. The currently recognized geographic distribution of B. americana is South Carolina and California. All strains are associated with Ixodes pacificus or Ixodes minor and their rodent and bird hosts...
- Intracranial aneurysms in three patients with disseminated Lyme borreliosis: cause or chance association?J Oksi
Department of Internal Medicine, Turku University Central Hospital, Finland
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 64:636-42. 1998..Three patients with Borrelia burgdorferi infection and intracranial aneurysms are described...
- Investigations on the mode and dynamics of transmission and infectivity of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto and Borrelia afzelii in Ixodes ricinus ticksMara Crippa
Institut de Zoologie, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2:3-9. 2002..This study also shows that B. afzelii is transmitted by I. ricinus to the host earlier than B. burgdorferi ss and that I. ricinus seems to be a more efficient vector of B. afzelii than B. burgdorferi ss...
- Characterization of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolated in Moscow province--a sympatric region for Ixodes ricinus and Ixodes persulcatusToshiyuki Masuzawa
Department of Microbiology and COE Program in the 21st Century, University of Shizuoka School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shizuoka, Japan
Int J Med Microbiol 294:455-64. 2005..garinii type NT29 was found. In contrast, isolates from I. persulcatus were identified as both types 20047 and NT29 of B. garinii, and B. afzelii. No B. burgdorferi s.s. isolate was found among isolates from I. persulcatus...
- The key roles of selection and migration in the ecology of Lyme borreliosisKlaus Kurtenbach
Wellcome Trust, Dpt Infect Dis Epidemiol, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Int J Med Microbiol 291:152-4. 2002..Altogether, it is emerging that the ecology of Lyme borreliosis is largely host-driven and that selection and migration are major forces shaping the population structures of B. burgdorferi s. l...
- Genetic diversity of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolates obtained from Ixodes ricinus ticks collected in SlovakiaL Gern
Institute of Zoology, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Eur J Epidemiol 15:665-9. 1999..0153) and isolation success was higher when the infection degree in ticks was high (p = 0.0397). The infection prevalence observed in this area is among the highest observed in Europe...
- First isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato from Ixodes ricinus ticks in MoroccoM hammed Sarih
Institut Pasteur du Maroc, Casablanca, Morocco
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 3:133-9. 2003..7%). Three ticks were infected by B. burgdorferi ss, and three other ticks were infected by B. garinii. This is the first report of the presence of B. burgdorferi sl in Morocco and more specifically of B. burgdorferi ss in North Africa...
- Serologic survey of the wild boar (Sus scrofa) for Borrelia burgdorferi sensu latoZ Juricová
Institute of Vertebrate Biology, Academy of Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:479-82. 2009..The study also reviews the importance of wild boar in Lyme borreliosis (LB) ecology. Wild boar serology may provide another means of surveillance of endemic areas of LB...
- Rapid typing of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species in specimens from patients with different manifestations of Lyme borreliosisJ D Lünemann
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Hospital, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 39:1130-3. 2001..The results demonstrate that PCR-RLB is a valuable tool for epidemiological and pathogenetic studies of Lyme borreliosis...
- Lyme disease Borrelia species in northeastern China resemble those isolated from far eastern Russia and JapanM Li
International Center for Medical Research, Kobe University School of Medicine, Hyogo, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:2705-9. 1998..No Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto or Borrelia japonica isolates were detected. The results indicate that Lyme disease Borrelia species in northeastern China resemble those of Borrelia isolates from far eastern Russia and Japan...
- Three major Lyme Borrelia genospecies (Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto, B. afzelii and B. garinii) identified by PCR in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with neuroborreliosis in SwedenKatharina Ornstein
Department of Medical Microbiology, Dermatology and Infectious Diseases, Lund University, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 34:341-6. 2002..The results of our study confirm that the use of direct molecular analytical methods for Borrelia genospecies identification in clinical specimens can provide epidemiological information additional to that obtained by culture...
- Borrelia afzelii ospC genotype diversity in Ixodes ricinus questing ticks and ticks from rodents in two Lyme borreliosis endemic areas: contribution of co-feeding ticksDavid Perez
Institut de Biologie, Universite de Neuchatel, 2000 Neuchatel, Switzerland
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 2:137-42. 2011..17 for PR and 1 for SW). We suggest that co-feeding transmission of Borrelia, previously described in laboratory models, contributes in nature in promoting and maintaining ospC diversity within local tick populations...
- Abundance of Ixodes ricinus and prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. in the nature reserve Siebengebirge, Germany, in comparison to three former studies from 1978 onwardsAlexandra Schwarz
Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre, Academy of Sciences of Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Parasit Vectors 5:268. 2012..Data from all investigations were compared...
- Human anaplasmosis in north-eastern Poland: seroprevalence in humans and prevalence in Ixodes ricinus ticksAnna Grzeszczuk
Department of Infectious Diseases, Medical University of Białystok, Zurawia 14 St, 15 540 Białystok, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 11:99-103. 2004..05). The obtained results confirm both the occurrence of HA foci in north-eastern Poland with I. ricinus as the principal vector of the A. phagocytophilum infection, and forestry workers as the main group at risk...
- Molecular characterization of a new isolate of Borrelia lusitaniae derived from Apodemus sylvaticus in PortugalIsabel Lopes de Carvalho
Center for Vector and Infectious Diseases Research, Instituto Nacional de Saude Dr Ricardo Jorge, Lisboa, Portugal
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:531-4. 2010..The single strain of spirochete isolated was confirmed as Borrelia lusitaniae by genetic analyses. This is the first report of B. lusitaniae isolated from Apodemus sylvaticus...
- Substantial rise in the prevalence of Lyme borreliosis spirochetes in a region of western Germany over a 10-year periodHelge Kampen
Institute for Medical Parasitology, University of Bonn, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1576-82. 2004..We conclude that B. burgdorferi sensu lato infection has increased in this region over the last 15 years due to presently unknown changes in ecological conditions, perhaps related to climate change or wildlife management...
- Detection and identification of Ehrlichia, Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, and Bartonella species in Dutch Ixodes ricinus ticksL M Schouls
Research Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 37:2215-22. 1999..In more than 70% of the ticks 16S rRNA gene sequences for Bartonella species or other species closely related to Bartonella were found. In five of the ticks both Ehrlichia and B. burgdorferi species were detected...
- The prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes persulcatus and I. ricinus ticks in the zone of their sympatryE I Korenberg
Gamaleya Research Institute for Epidemiology and Microbiology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 48:63-8. 2001..Each tick species has its independent (of the other species) and relatively original functional role in the focal ecosystem...
- Development and laboratory evaluation of a new recombinant ELISA for the serodiagnosis of Lyme diseaseKlaus Peter Hunfeld
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt Main, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:580-5. 2002..The aim of the present study was to develop and evaluate a new recombinant ELISA (RE) for the detection of specific IgG and IgM antibodies against Borrelia burgdorferi...
- Birds disperse ixodid (Acari: Ixodidae) and Borrelia burgdorferi-infected ticks in CanadaJ D Scott
Lyme Disease Association of Ontario, Fergus, Canada
J Med Entomol 38:493-500. 2001..We conclude that passerine birds disperse several species of ixodid ticks in Canada, and during spring migration translocate ticks from the United States, and Central and South America, some of which are infected with B. burgdorferi...
- A critical appraisal of "chronic Lyme disease"Henry M Feder
Department of Family Medicine and Pediatrics, Connecticut Children s Medical Center, Hartford, CT, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1422-30. 2007
- Ixodid ticks of road-killed wildlife species in southern Italy: new tick-host associations and locality recordsVincenzo Lorusso
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Zootecnia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Exp Appl Acarol 55:293-300. 2011..Finally, from a conservation perspective, it would be interesting to assess whether these wild animals (e.g., Lepus corsicanus) are exposed to tick-borne pathogens, investigating the possible implications for their health and behavior...
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in rodents from Gansu, northwestern ChinaFang Zhang
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention of Lanzhou Command, PLA, 509 Dong Gang Dong Road, Chenguan District, Lanzhou 730020, PR China
BMC Microbiol 10:157. 2010..In the present study, a molecular epidemiological survey was conducted to investigate the presence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in rodents from Gansu Province for the first time...
- Differential transmission of the genospecies of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato by game birds and small rodents in EnglandK Kurtenbach
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1169-74. 1998..Wildlife management may have an influence on the relative risk of different clinical forms of Lyme borreliosis...
- Innate immune responses in Lyme borreliosis: enhanced tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-12 in asymptomatic individuals in response to live spirochetesJ Sjöwall
Divisions of Infectious Diseases, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 141:89-98. 2005..These results are in line with previous experiments using cells of the adaptive immune response, indicating that strong T helper type 1 (Th1) proinflammatory responses might be associated with a successful resolution of Lyme disease...
- Detection and molecular typing of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks and in different patient samples from southwest GermanyD Schaarschmidt
Fachbereich Biologie, Universitat Konstanz, Universitätsstrasse, Konstanz, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 17:1067-74. 2001..Borrelia afzelii is the predominant genospecies in all kind of samples from the observed area and there seems to be no association of particular Borrelia genospecies with distinct clinical manifestations of LB...
- Borrelia garinii in seabird ticks (Ixodes uriae), Atlantic Coast, North AmericaRobert P Smith
Maine Medical Center Research Institute, South Portland, Maine 04106, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1909-12. 2006..garinii rrs-rrla intergenic spacer were sequenced and matched to GenBank sequences for B. garinii. The potential for introduction of this agent into the North American Lyme disease enzootic is unknown...
- Association of Borrelia garinii and B. valaisiana with songbirds in SlovakiaKlára Hanincová
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:2825-30. 2003..garinii and B. valaisiana but not of B. afzelii. This and previous studies confirm that B. burgdorferi sensu lato is host associated and that this bacterial species complex contains different ecotypes...
- Comprehensive analysis of the factor h binding capabilities of borrelia species associated with lyme disease: delineation of two distinct classes of factor h binding proteinsJohn V McDowell
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0678, USA
Infect Immun 71:3597-602. 2003..Differences in fH binding ability may contribute to the differences in pathogenesis and clinical course observed upon infection with different species of the B. burgdorferi sensu lato complex...
- Borrelia lusitaniae and green lizards (Lacerta viridis), Karst Region, SlovakiaViktoria Majlathova
Parasitological Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovakia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1895-901. 2006..garinii was the dominant species, and B. lusitaniae represented 11.1%. The presence of B. lusitaniae in skin biopsy specimens and in ticks that had fed on green lizards implicates this species in the transmission cycle of B. lusitaniae...
- Adaptation of diverse lyme disease spirochetes in a natural rodent reservoir hostDania Richter
Abteilung Parasitologie, Institut fur Pathologie, Charite, Medizinische Fakultat der Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, 12249 Berlin, Germany
Infect Immun 72:2442-4. 2004..Borrelia afzelii, specializing in particular reservoir hosts, is better adapted to those hosts than is the more generalist genospecies B. burgdorferi sensu stricto...
- Fundamental processes in the evolutionary ecology of Lyme borreliosisKlaus Kurtenbach
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 4:660-9. 2006..burgdorferi s.l. populations. Additionally, we highlight possible epidemiological parallels between B. burgdorferi s.l. and other vector-borne zoonotic pathogens, including West Nile virus...
- Sequence typing reveals extensive strain diversity of the Lyme borreliosis agents Borrelia burgdorferi in North America and Borrelia afzelii in EuropeJonas Bunikis
Department of Microbiology, B240 Medical Sciences I, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 4025, USA
Microbiology 150:1741-55. 2004..burgdorferi. It is concluded that B. burgdorferi and B. afzelii have greater genetic diversity than had previously been estimated, and that the IGS locus alone is sufficient for strain typing and phylogenetic studies...
- Identification and functional characterization of complement regulator-acquiring surface protein 1 of the Lyme disease spirochetes Borrelia afzelii and Borrelia gariniiReinhard Wallich
Infectious Immunology Group, Institute for Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 305, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Infect Immun 73:2351-9. 2005....
- Delineation of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species by multilocus sequence analysis and confirmation of the delineation of Borrelia spielmanii sp. novDania Richter
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, 12249 Berlin, Germany
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56:873-81. 2006..Our analysis confirmed the delineation of a novel species, Borrelia spielmanii sp. nov., previously known as 'Borrelia spielmani' Richter et al. 2004, with strain PC-Eq17N5T (=DSM 16813T = CIP 108855T) as the type strain...
- Sequence analysis of ospA genes shows homogeneity within Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto and Borrelia afzelii strains but reveals major subgroups within the Borrelia garinii speciesG Will
Abteilung Serologie, Max von Pettenkofer Institut für Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 184:73-80. 1995..B. garinii is not only more heterogeneous in respect to the OspA-encoding genes, but shows moreover major subgroups formed by genotypes 4, 5 and 6 and genotypes 3 and 7, respectively.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in ticks collected from migratory birds in SwitzerlandPoupon Marie-Angèle
Institute of Zoology, Emile Argand 11, 2007 Neuchâtel 7, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:976-9. 2006..Among birds infested by infected ticks, 23% (6/26) were infested by B. lusitaniae-infected larvae. Migratory birds appear to be reservoir hosts for B. lusitaniae...
- Antigenic and genetic heterogeneity of Borrelia burgdorferi populations transmitted by ticksJ Ohnishi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:670-5. 2001..burgdorferi transmission. Implicit in our model is the concept that tick transmission converts a homogeneous spirochete population into a heterogeneous population that is poised to infect the mammalian host...
- Comparative analysis of the Borrelia garinii genomeG Glockner
Genome Analysis, Institute for Molecular Biotechnology, Beutenbergstr 11, 07745 Jena, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 32:6038-46. 2004..garinii genome. Thus, phenotypic differences between the two species could be attributable to the presence or absence of these two plasmids as well as to the potentially positively selected genes...
- Heterogeneity of BmpA (P39) among European isolates of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato and influence of interspecies variability on serodiagnosisD Roessler
Max von Pettenkofer Institut für Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Lehrstuhl für Bakteriologie, Munich, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 35:2752-8. 1997..burgdorferi sensu stricto. Therefore, we recommend that recombinant BmpA of B. afzelii or B. garinii should be used solely, or in addition to B. burgdorferi sensu stricto BmpA, in serodiagnostic tests for Lyme borreliosis in Europe...
- Complement-mediated serum sensitivity among spirochetes that cause Lyme diseaseA P van Dam
Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 65:1228-36. 1997..This study shows that B. burgdorferi-related spirochetes can be either serum sensitive or serum resistant in vitro and that this characteristic is associated with their genetic background...
- Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto, a bacterial species "made in the U.S.A."?N Marti Ras
Unité de bactériologie moléculaire et médicale, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Int J Syst Bacteriol 47:1112-7. 1997..We discuss the significance of these features and suggest that they might be evidence of the anteriority of North American B. burgdorferi strains...
- Natural Lyme disease cycles maintained via sheep by co-feeding ticksN H Ogden
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
Parasitology 115:591-9. 1997..burgdorferi, but they can transmit localized infections from infected to uninfected ticks co-feeding at the same site on the sheep's body...
- Interstadial and infestation level-dependent variation in the transmission efficiency of Borrelia burgdorferi from mice to Ixodes ricinus ticksN H Ogden
NERC Institute of Virology and Environmental Microbiology, Oxford, UK
Exp Appl Acarol 22:367-72. 1998..The infestation level and the relative numbers of each life stage of the tick are factors which should be considered in the design of transmission experiments...
- Novel genospecies of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato from rodents and ticks in southwestern ChinaChen Yi Chu
Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing 100071, People s Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 46:3130-3. 2008..burgdorferi sensu lato rather than B. valaisiana. The finding explained the differences in transmission cycle and phenotype between B. valaisiana strains from Europe and B. valaisiana-related strains from eastern Asia...
- Borrelia carolinensis sp. nov., a new (14th) member of the Borrelia burgdorferi Sensu Lato complex from the southeastern region of the United StatesNataliia Rudenko
Biology Centre, Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Branisovska 31, CZ 37005, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
J Clin Microbiol 47:134-41. 2009..Our data strongly support the recognition of the 16 isolates as a new B. burgdorferi sensu lato species. We propose to name this genospecies "Borrelia carolinensis" with respect to the place of its currently known geographic location...
- Further characterization of complement regulator-acquiring surface proteins of Borrelia burgdorferiP Kraiczy
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt, D 60596 Frankfurt, Germany
Infect Immun 69:7800-9. 2001..The characterization of the individual CRASPs on the molecular level is expected to identify new virulence factors and potential vaccine candidates...
- Comparison of two laboratory methods for the determination of serum resistance in Borrelia burgdorferi isolatesP Kraiczy
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Immunobiology 201:406-19. 2000..The IFA, however, is regarded as superior to the GIA owing to the obvious ease of performance and its rapid capability for the classification of even very slow growing isolates...
- Lyme disease Borrelia spp. in ticks and rodents from northwestern ChinaN Takada
Department of Immunology and Medical Zoology, Fukui Medical University, Matsuoka, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:5161-5. 2001..persulcatus and genetic patterns of Borrelia spp. on the Asian continent...
- Direct molecular typing of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species in synovial samples from patients with lyme arthritisB Jaulhac
Institut de Bacteriologie de la Faculte de Medecine, Université Louis Pasteur and Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 6700 Strasbourg, France
J Clin Microbiol 38:1895-900. 2000..afzelii or B. garinii (P < 0.001). These results indicate that B. burgdorferi sensu stricto is the principal but not the only Borrelia species involved in Lyme arthritis in northeastern France...
- The complement regulator factor H binds to the surface protein OspE of Borrelia burgdorferiJ Hellwage
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Haartmaninkatu 3, FIN-00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 276:8427-35. 2001..Specific binding of factor H to B. burgdorferi sensu stricto OspE may help the pathogen to evade complement attack and phagocytosis...
- Impact of genotypic variation of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto on kinetics of dissemination and severity of disease in C3H/HeJ miceG Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Infect Immun 69:4303-12. 2001..burgdorferi, suggesting that genotypic differences in the infecting spirochetes play a key role in the pathogenesis and development of clinical disease...
- Immune evasion of Borrelia burgdorferi by acquisition of human complement regulators FHL-1/reconectin and Factor HP Kraiczy
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Immunol 31:1674-84. 2001..In summary, we describe a new immune evasion mechanism of B. burgdorferi, as these bacteria acquire human complement regulators to control complement activation on their surface and to prevent formation of toxic activation products...
- The basic reproduction number for complex disease systems: defining R(0) for tick-borne infectionsN A Hartemink
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am Nat 171:743-54. 2008..This provides further support that transmission between cofeeding ticks is critically important for the establishment of tick-borne encephalitis...
- Competence of American robins as reservoir hosts for Lyme disease spirochetesD Richter
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 6:133-8. 2000..In addition, spirochetes passaged through birds retained infectivity for mammalian hosts. American robins become as infectious for vector ticks as do reservoir mice, but infectivity in robins wanes more rapidly...
- Diagnostic value of proteins of three Borrelia species (Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato) and implications for development and use of recombinant antigens for serodiagnosis of Lyme borreliosis in EuropeU Hauser
Max von Pettenkofer Institut für Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Munich, Germany
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:456-62. 1998..9%; sensitivity, 47.0%)...
- Expanded diversity among Californian borrelia isolates and description of Borrelia bissettii sp. nov. (formerly Borrelia group DN127)D Postic
Unité de bactériologie moléculaire et médicale, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 36:3497-504. 1998..For now, we propose that the genomic group DN127 should be referred to as a new species, B. bissettii sp. nov., and that other related but distinct strains, which require further characterization, be referred to as Borrelia spp...
- Low-passage-associated proteins of Borrelia burgdorferi B31: characterization and molecular cloning of OspD, a surface-exposed, plasmid-encoded lipoproteinS J Norris
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Medical School, Houston 77225
Infect Immun 60:4662-72. 1992..Further study of these and other polypeptides associated with low-passage strains may lead to identification of B. burgdorferi gene products required for infection and pathogenesis in mammalian hosts...
- Multilocus sequence analysis of atypical Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolates--description of Borrelia californiensis sp. nov., and genomospecies 1 and 2Daniele Postic
Laboratoire des Spirochètes, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, F 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Int J Med Microbiol 297:263-71. 2007..burgdorferi s.l. species. In contrast, European atypical strains constituted a subgroup of B. burgdorferi sensu stricto (s.s.)...
- Disparity in the natural cycles of Borrelia burgdorferi and the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosisM L Levin
Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:204-8. 1999..The different prevalence in nature of these pathogens in ticks suggests that their maintenance cycles are also different...
- Delineation of species-specific binding properties of the CspZ protein (BBH06) of Lyme disease spirochetes: evidence for new contributions to the pathogenesis of Borrelia sppElizabeth A Rogers
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0678, USA
Infect Immun 75:5272-81. 2007....
- Borrelia burgdorferi Sensu Lato in Siberian chipmunks (Tamias sibiricus) introduced in suburban forests in FranceGwenaël Vourc'h
National Institute for Agricultural Research INRA, UR346 Animal Epidemiology, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:637-41. 2007..3%) and predominantly of B. afzelii. The infection prevalence was 14.1% in bank voles, but no wood mouse was found to be infected. Our results suggest that the Siberian chipmunk may be an important reservoir host for LB...
- Assay to detect early neurologic Lyme diseaseSteven Schutzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..BbIC Ab and Ag will be identified. Focus will be towards on specific and in vivo expressed Bb Ags. Results will be statistically analyzed. Phase 2 will be designed for broadscale usage and refinement. ..
- ASSAY TO DETECT ACUTE ACTIVE LYME DISEASESteven Schutzer; Fiscal Year: 2005..It can also detect infection early than free antibody assays. Therefore this assay can fulfill a great need in Lyme disease diagnosis and has high market potential. ..
- Complete Proteome of Cerebrospinal FluidSteven Schutzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Detection of Virulent Burkholderia malleiSteven Schutzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Phase 2 we will also develop the immuno-based assays. ..
- Comparative Genomics of Lyme Disease SpirochetesSherwood Casjens; Fiscal Year: 2004..burgdorferi population. These findings will impact the study of the molecular pathogenesis of Lyme disease in many ways. ..
- DNA packaging and delivery by dsDNA virusesSherwood Casjens; Fiscal Year: 2007..The aims of the project will be pursued through a combination of genetic, biochemical, biophysical and structural analysis strategies. ..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE EFFECTIVENESS OF VACCINES IN CLINICAL PRACTICEEugene Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2004..Shapiro to review their progress and to help them develop their own studies as well as to develop strategies for the development of their careers. ..
- Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine in Clinical PracticeEugene Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Training in Patient-Oriented Research for PhysiciansEugene Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, the Yale CRS Program will help to increase the pool of physician-investigators who will be uniquely poised to conduct research to directly improve the health of all Americans. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LYME DISEASE IN WESTERN USA: ECOLOGY AND EPIDEMIOLOGYRobert Lane; Fiscal Year: 2008..Development of this risk model, which culminates over 2 decades of intensive study, should contribute significantly to our knowledge of the landscape ecology and epidemiology of LD in this region. ..
- 13th International Campylobacter/Helicobacter workshopIrving Nachamkin; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- 14th International CHRO WorkshopIrving Nachamkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IMPDH: Structural Determinants of SpecificityBarry Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mechanism of Vector Saliva Inhibition of Innate ImmunityRuth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 5th Comparative Medicine Resource Center Director Mtg.Stephen Barthold; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Borrelia-Integrin InteractionsJenifer Coburn; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal of this work is to understand the pathogenesis of B. burgdorferi infection, which is an important model for how certain bacteria co-opt the biology of their immunocompetent hosts to cause disease. ..
- Virulence and Immunity of Granulocytic EhrlichiaeJOHN DUMLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will provide the framework for rational design of new therapies aimed at modulating immune mechanisms and design of preventative measures aimed at immunization. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HUMAN GRANULOCYTIC EHRLICHIOSISUlrike Munderloh; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- In Situ Detection of Host-Spirochete Interaction by Iso*Ruth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2002..burgdorferi. In summary, this proposal employs a novel and powerful technique to address several possible mechanisms of spirochetal evasion of the immune system. ..
- 3RD ANNUAL MUTANT MOUSE REGIONAL RESOURCE CENTER MEETINGStephen Barthold; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Molecular Analysis fo Borrelia P66-Integrin BindingJenifer Coburn; Fiscal Year: 2009..burgdorferi. Through this work, we expect to gain insight into how pathogenic spirochetes manipulate the biology of their mammalian hosts, and into how integrins recognize unconventional ligands. ..
- LYME ARTHRITIS: A NEW EPIDEMIC DISEASEAllen C Steere; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, this work brings us closer to the long-term goal of direct comparisons of antigens in Lyme arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis synovia. ..
- BIOLOGY AND CONTROL OF LYME DISEASE BORRELIAAlan Barbour; Fiscal Year: 2004..burgdorferi, its transmission, and reservoir host immunize responses. The results may also have relevance for the control of other vector-bone zoonotic diseases and perhaps for development of novel methods for vaccine delivery. ..
- Gene expression of Borrelia during Babesia coinfectionJames Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2004..burgdorferi and B. microti alone and concurrently. ..
- INTERCELLULAR SIGNALING IN MYXOCOCCUS XANTHUSWenyuan Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ATP-DEPENDENT PROTEIN KINASES IN GRAM-POSITIVE BACTERIAMilton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HELICOBACTER DIAGNOSTIC ASSAYS FOR LABORATORY MICEStephen Barthold; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- REAL TIME QUANTITATIVE PCR THERMOCYCLERJenifer Coburn; Fiscal Year: 2001..Access to the ABI Prism 7700 will be essential for the progression of numerous NIH- funded basic science and clinical studies already underway at New England Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine. ..
- Virulence and Immunity of Granulocytic EhrlichiaeJOHN DUMLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will provide a framework for rational design of therapies aimed at modulating immune injury and could foster design of preventative measures aimed at immunization. ..
- A Zeiss LSM 510 Confocal Microscope for Medical ResearchRuth Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus this confocal microscope would be the basis of a core facility to assure that these investigators will have adequate access to state-of-the-art imaging techniques. ..
- Innate immunity and experimental Lyme arthritisCharles Brown; Fiscal Year: 2007..As such these studies; may have important implications not only for Lyme disease, but for other inflammatory diseases as well. ..
- CD1-Mediated Immunity Of Lyme DiseaseLinda Bockenstedt; Fiscal Year: 2005..For the field of Lyme disease, defining the key molecules expressed by tick-borne spirochetes will move us one step closer toward understanding how this pathogen invades, disseminates and persists in the mammalian host. ..
- RpoS and gene expression in Borrelia burgdorferiRamesh Ramamoorthy; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will shed light on the mechanism guiding the flow of genetic information, and identify new effector proteins, in Lyme disease spirochetes poised to infect the vertebrate host. ..
- Natural History of Borrelia lonestariSusan Little; Fiscal Year: 2006..S., enhancing public health efforts in those areas where people are risk of infection; reduction in human disease from these pathogens should result. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diagnosis and Pathogenesis of Early Lyme DiseaseAllen Steere; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, greater knowledge of spirochetal virulence and host factors associated with severe disease may allow the development of laboratory markers for patients who would benefit from more intensive treatment. ..
- National Center/Emerging Infectous Diseases & BiodefenseMark Klempner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Eicosanoid regulation of experimental Lyme arthritisCharles R Brown; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information will further our understanding of how inflammation is regulated and allow the design of more effective anti-inflammatory treatments. ..
- Immunity in Early Syphillis: Pathway to HIV CoinfectionJuan Salazar; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Aim 2 we will study the effect of secondary syphilis on viral load (VL) in HIV co-infected individuals. In this aim we will compare VL between HIV patients with and without syphilis and determine the effect of penicillin on VL. ..
- 'Lyme disease: A possible test for cureMARIO PHILIPP; Fiscal Year: 2003..Cure of LD will be assessed objectively (by culture and PCR) both in rhesus monkeys (chronic LD) and in mice (acute LD). Correlation between LD cure and anti-C6 Ab titers will be evaluated. ..
- New Method for Detecting Bacillus Anthracis SporesMark Klempner; Fiscal Year: 2003..anthracis spores and spores of other related and unrelated bacteria. The project will focus on developing the ligand library to include non-antibody reagents and differential recognition of bacterial spores from multiple species. ..
- Identifying human genes required by tick-borne pathogensUlrike Munderloh; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that the interaction of the human host cells with these highly specialized intracellular pathogens will shed light,on the nature of some unidentified human genes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genesis & Control of Lyme Disease by Innate ImmunityLinda Bockenstedt; Fiscal Year: 2009..For the field of Lyme disease, defining the key molecules expressed by host-adapted spirochetes will move us one step closer toward understanding how this pathogen persists in an immunologically responsive host. ..