Summary: A tribe of gram-negative bacteria of the family RICKETTSIACEAE whose organisms are found in arthropods and are pathogenic for man and certain other vertebrate hosts.
- Relative chemokine and adhesion molecule expression in Mediterranean spotted fever and African tick bite feverJan K Damås
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Infect 58:68-75. 2009..We hypothesized that different inflammatory potential in endothelial cells could contribute to the different clinical features in these rickettsioses...
- Vectors of rickettsiae in AfricaIdir Bitam
Service d Ecologie des Systèmes Vectoriels, Institut Pasteur d Algerie, 1 Rue du Docteur Laveran, Hamma, Alger, Algeria
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 3:382-6. 2012..Rickettsial diseases are transmitted by different types of arthropods, ticks, fleas, lice, and mites. This review will examine the roles of these different arthropod vectors and their geographical distributions...
- Systemic treatment with CpG-B after sublethal rickettsial infection induces mouse death through indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO)Lijun Xin
Department of Pathology and Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e34062. 2012....
- Seroreactivity for spotted fever rickettsiae and co-infections with other tick-borne agents among habitants in central and southern SwedenA Lindblom
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 32:317-23. 2013..The study shows that both single and co-infections do occur, which illustrate the complexity in the clinical picture and a need for further studies to fully understand how these patients should best be treated...
- Phylogenomic evidence for the presence of a flagellum and cbb(3) oxidase in the free-living mitochondrial ancestorDavide Sassera
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Mol Biol Evol 28:3285-96. 2011..These results indicate that the FMA played a more active and potentially parasitic role in eukaryogenesis than currently appreciated and provide an explanation for how the symbiosis could have evolved under low levels of oxygen...
- [A new type of spotted fever group Rickttsiaes detected in the area of Changbai mountain, Jilin province]Yong jian Hao
The Preventive Team of People s Liberation Army Second Artillery, Beijing 100071, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 24:1126-8. 2003..In order to find out the current situation of tick-borne spotted fever in the area of Changbai mountain, Jilin province...
- Bacterial endosymbionts of free-living amoebaeMatthias Horn
Division of Microbial Ecology, Institute of Ecology and Conservation Biology, University of Vienna, Althanstr 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Eukaryot Microbiol 51:509-14. 2004..Furthermore, phylogenetic analysis suggested that these mechanisms have been evolved by the ancestor of these amoeba symbionts in interplay with ancient unicellular eukaryotes...
- A century of rickettsiology: emerging, reemerging rickettsioses, clinical, epidemiologic, and molecular diagnostic aspects and emerging veterinary rickettsioses: an overviewKarim E Hechemy
Division of Infectious Disease, Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:1-14. 2006..Presentations on veterinary rickettsiology highlight the importance of the rickettsiae in animal husbandry...
- Molecular detection of various rickettsiae in mites (acari: trombiculidae) in southern Jeolla Province, KoreaYeon Joo Choi
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Konkuk University, Choongbuk, Korea
Microbiol Immunol 51:307-12. 2007..The data presented in this paper extend knowledge on the geographic distribution of SFG rickettsiae in eastern Asia and it may necessary to consider the role of mites in rickettsial transmission...
- Serological and blood culture investigations of Nepalese fever patientsStuart D Blacksell
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:686-90. 2007..Many patients demonstrated static IgM antibody results between paired serum collections, suggesting recent rather than acutely active infections...
- Rickettsial infections and their clinical presentations in the Western Province of Sri Lanka: a hospital-based studyR Premaratna
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, PO Box 6, Thalagolla Rd, Ragama, Sri Lanka
Int J Infect Dis 12:198-202. 2008..Rickettsial infections are re-emerging. A study of the geographical distribution of rickettsial infections, their clinical manifestations, and their complications would facilitate early diagnosis...
- Naming of Rickettsiae and rickettsial diseasesDidier Raoult
Unite des Rickettsies, IFR 48, CNRS UMR 6020, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1063:1-12. 2005..In this paper, we review taxonomic rules and appropriate approaches to valid naming of rickettsial species and the diseases they cause...
- [An update on rickettsiosis]A Renvoise
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS IRD UMR6236, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Med Mal Infect 39:71-81. 2009..The specific association between Rickettsieae and the vector are extensively studied, moreover Rickettsieae associated diseases are part of a continuously ..
- The relationship between spotted fever group Rickettsiae and ixodid ticksCristina Socolovschi
Unité de Recherche en Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes URMITE, UMR CNRS IRD 6236, WHO Collaborative Center for Rickettsial diseases and other arthropod borne bacterial diseases, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Vet Res 40:34. 2009....
- Detection and identification of rickettsial agents in ticks from domestic mammals in eastern PanamaSergio E Bermúdez
Instituto Conmemorativo Gorgas de Estudios de la Salud, Panama City, Panama 0816 02593
J Med Entomol 46:856-61. 2009....
- A typhus group-specific protease defies reductive evolution in rickettsiaeNicole C Ammerman
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Bacteriol 191:7609-13. 2009..As a possible determinant of host pathogenicity, ppcE warrants consideration in the development of therapeutics against epidemic and murine typhus...
- Rickettsiae in Gulf Coast ticks, Arkansas, USARebecca Trout
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:830-2. 2010..Of the screened ticks, 30% had PCR amplicons consistent with Rickettsia parkeri or Candidatus Rickettsia amblyommii...
- Isolation of a novel Orientia species (O. chuto sp. nov.) from a patient infected in DubaiLeonard Izzard
The Australian Rickettsial Reference Laboratory Barwon Biomedical Research, The Geelong Hospital, Bellarine Street, Geelong, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 48:4404-9. 2010..Therefore, we have proposed the name "Orientia chuto," and the prototype strain of this species is strain Dubai, named after the location in which the patient was infected...
- Absence of zoonotic Bartonella species in questing ticks: first detection of Bartonella clarridgeiae and Rickettsia felis in cat fleas in the NetherlandsEllen Tijsse-Klasen
Laboratory for Zoonoses and Environmental Microbiology, National Institute for Public Health and Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Parasit Vectors 4:61. 2011..were reported from the Netherlands. Here, the presence of Bartonellaceae and Rickettsiae in ectoparasites was investigated using molecular detection and identification on part of the gltA- and 16S rRNA-genes...
- New insight into immunity and immunopathology of Rickettsial diseasesPasquale Mansueto
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e delle Patologie Emergenti, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Clin Dev Immunol 2012:967852. 2012..The roles of innate and adaptive immune responses are discussed, and potential new targets for therapies to block host-pathogen interactions and pathogen virulence mechanisms are considered...
- Extremely acidophilic protists from acid mine drainage host Rickettsiales-lineage endosymbionts that have intervening sequences in their 16S rRNA genesBrett J Baker
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5512-8. 2003..To our knowledge, this is the first report of an endosymbiotic relationship in an extremely acidic habitat...
- Serologic evidence of infection with ehrlichiae and spotted fever group rickettsiae among residents of Gag Island, IndonesiaAllen L Richards
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:480-4. 2003..These results show serologic evidence of infection with ehrlichiae and spotted fever group rickettsiae for the first time in Indonesia in a location where the prevalence of antibody to O. tsutsugamushi and R. typhi was lower...
- Identification of the spotted fever group rickettsiae detected from Haemaphysalis longicornis in KoreaJung Hee Lee
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Konkuk University, Chungju, Chungchongbuk Do 380 701, Korea
Microbiol Immunol 47:301-4. 2003..7 to 100%) with that of R. japonica YH, and that from 1 tick (tick no. 48) was identical with that of R. rickettsii R, suggesting that SFG rickettsiae exists in Korea. This is the first documentation of SFG rickettsiae in Korea...
- Bacteremia due to Rochalimaea henselae in a child: practical identification of isolates in the clinical laboratoryD F Welch
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73190
J Clin Microbiol 31:2381-6. 1993..henselae from R. quintana. Four of five others gave reactions that were unique within their data bases but did not distinguish Rochalimaea isolates at the species level...
- Development and evaluation of a blood-free medium for determining growth curves and optimizing growth of Rochalimaea henselaeW A Schwartzman
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90024
J Clin Microbiol 31:1882-5. 1993..R. henselae utilized hemin in concentrations six times that utilized by Rochalimaea quintana. Erythrocyte membrane was necessary to achieve the full growth-promoting effect of rabbit blood...
- Ehrlichia chaffeensis and Rochalimaea antibodies in Kawasaki diseaseM H Rathore
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson 85724
J Clin Microbiol 31:3058-9. 1993..5% of the patients tested positive for E. chaffeensis, and 5% were positive for R. henselae and R. quintana Oklahoma. Our data suggest that Ehrlichia and Rochalimaea spp. do not play a unique role in the etiology of Kawasaki disease...
- Polymerase chain reaction-based restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of a fragment of the ribosomal operon from Rochalimaea species for subtypingG M Matar
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia 30333
J Clin Microbiol 31:1730-4. 1993..henselae. The subtyping potential of this method may be useful for further clinical and epidemiologic studies of the spectrum of diseases caused by R. henselae...
- Epidemiologic observations on infection with Rochalimaea species among cats living in Baltimore, MdJ E Childs
Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333
J Am Vet Med Assoc 204:1775-8. 1994....
- Serologic evidence of respiratory and rickettsial infections among Somali refugeesG C Gray
Epidemiology Branch, U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 52:349-53. 1995..pneumoniae, M. pneumoniae, R. typhi, R. conorii, and Cox. burnetii, respectively. These data suggest that the studied pathogens may be endemic in displaced populations living in the Horn of Africa...
- Cloning and characterization of an ftsZ homologue from a bacterial symbiont of Drosophila melanogasterP R Holden
Department of Genetics, University of Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, England
Mol Gen Genet 240:213-20. 1993..The consequences of this function particularly with respect to its role in cell division are discussed...
- Relapsing illness due to Rochalimaea henselae in immunocompetent hosts: implication for therapy and new epidemiological associationsD Lucey
Department of Medicine, Wilford Hall U S Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
Clin Infect Dis 14:683-8. 1992..He became permanently asymptomatic after serial 2-week courses of chloramphenicol and erythromycin. The greater efficacy of lysis-centrifugation blood cultures in the recovery of R. henselae was noted...
- Physical and chemical methods for enhancing rapid detection of viruses and other agentsJ H Hughes
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210
Clin Microbiol Rev 6:150-75. 1993..The utility of these treatments alone or in combination with other methods for enhancing viral isolation and replication in a diagnostic setting needs further investigation...
- Unknown species of rickettsiae isolated from Ixodes ricinus tick in WałczD Kruszewska
National Institute of Hygiene, Warsaw, Poland
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 41:129-35. 1996..Further identification of bacterial DNA with RFLP-PCR (restriction fragment length polymorphism-PCR) has shown characteristics of Bartonella bacilliformis species not recognised in Poland until recently...
- Genomic revolutionaries rise upL D Hurst
Nature 384:317-8. 1996
- Ultrastructure of a haplosporidian containing Rickettsiae, associated with mortalities among cultured paua Haliotis irisP M Hine
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, Kilbirnie, Wellington, New Zealand
Dis Aquat Organ 49:207-19. 2002..The prokaryotes have a high (7%) sequence divergence from known Rickettsieae, with Rickettsia sp. and R. massiliae being the closest relatives...
- Rickettsiella-like bacteria in Ixodes woodi (Acari: Ixodidae)Timothy J Kurtti
Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota, 55108, USA
J Med Entomol 39:534-40. 2002..Our results suggest that the I. woodi females harbored a single endosymbiotic bacterium related to selected Rickettsiella species and to C burnetii...
- Curved tails in polymerization-based bacterial motilityA D Rutenberg
Department of Physics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 3J5
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 64:021904. 2001..The variation of the curvature with time can be used to infer the dynamics of actin filaments at the bacterial surface...
- Light and electron microscopic study of a Rickettsiella species from the cockroach Blatta orientalisR Radek
Institute of Zoology, Free University of Berlin, Königin Luise Str 1 3, 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Invertebr Pathol 76:249-56. 2000..blattae," which belongs to the R. popilliae group. Instead, it shares more similarities with the R. chironomi group. To avoid confusion, it was provisionally named "R. crassificans."..
- Infectivity, transmission and 16S rRNA sequencing of a rickettsia, Coxiella cheraxi sp. nov., from the freshwater crayfish Cherax quadricarinatusC K Tan
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
Dis Aquat Organ 41:115-22. 2000..7%. The suggested classification of this organism is Order Rickettsiales, family Rickettsiaceae, tribe Rickettsieae, within the genus Coxiella. We suggest it should be named Coxiella cheraxi sp. nov.
- Multiple causes of male-killing in a single sample of the two-spot ladybird, Adalia bipunctata (Coleoptera: coccinellidae) from MoscowM E Majerus
Department of Genetics, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
Heredity (Edinb) 84:605-9. 2000..Potential explanations of the presence of four different male-killing symbionts within a single population, are considered...
- [Detection of north-Asia tick-borne spotted fever in ticks and rodents along the Heilongjiang river-side by restriction fragment length polymorphism of PCR products]M Chen
Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 18:5-7. 1997....
- Phylogenetic characterization of two transovarially transmitted endosymbionts of the bedbug Cimex lectularius (Heteroptera:Cimicidae)V Hypsa
Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Insect Mol Biol 6:301-4. 1997....
- Serological response to "Rochalimaea henselae" antigen in suspected cat-scratch diseaseR L Regnery
Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia 30333
Lancet 339:1443-5. 1992..These data suggest that the R henselae IFA test, or other serological assays based on R henselae, may be useful for diagnosis of CSD...