Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of gram-positive, microaerophilic, rod-shaped bacteria occurring widely in nature. Its species are also part of the many normal flora of the mouth, intestinal tract, and vagina of many mammals, including humans. Pathogenicity from this genus is rare.
Publications349 found, 100 shown here
- Complete genome sequence of Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1Michiel Kleerebezem
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, P O Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1990-5. 2003The 3,308,274-bp sequence of the chromosome of Lactobacillus plantarum strain WCFS1, a single colony isolate of strain NCIMB8826 that was originally isolated from human saliva, has been determined, and contains 3,052 predicted protein-..
- Monitoring bacterial community of human gut microbiota reveals an increase in Lactobacillus in obese patients and Methanogens in anorexic patientsFabrice Armougom
URMITE UMR CNRS 6236, IRD 3R198, Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, and Nutrition and Diabetology Department, University Hospital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7125. 2009..The roles of the archaeon Methanobrevibacter smithii and Lactobacillus species have not been described in these studies.
- Molecular identification of bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosisDavid N Fredricks
Program in Infectious Diseases, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1899-911. 2005..The cause of bacterial vaginosis remains poorly understood despite numerous studies based on cultures. Bacteria in microbial communities can be identified without cultivation by characterizing their ribosomal DNA (rDNA) sequences...
- Temporal variability of human vaginal bacteria and relationship with bacterial vaginosisSujatha Srinivasan
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10197. 2010..This study used PCR to assess the variability in concentrations of key vaginal bacteria in healthy women and the immediate response to antibiotic treatment in women with bacterial vaginosis (BV)...
- Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic disease: a randomised placebo-controlled trialM Kalliomaki
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Finland
Lancet 357:1076-9. 2001..We assessed the effect on atopic disease of Lactobacillus GG (which is safe at an early age and effective in treatment of allergic inflammation and food allergy).
- Selective probiotic bacteria induce IL-10-producing regulatory T cells in vitro by modulating dendritic cell function through dendritic cell-specific intercellular adhesion molecule 3-grabbing nonintegrinHermelijn H Smits
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:1260-7. 2005..On the basis of pathogenic or tissue-specific priming, dendritic cells (DC) acquire different T cell-instructive signals and drive the differentiation of naive T H cells into either T H 1, T H 2, or regulatory effector T cells...
- The extracellular biology of the lactobacilliMichiel Kleerebezem
TI Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
FEMS Microbiol Rev 34:199-230. 2010..Next to their role in fermentation processes, specific strains of Lactobacillus are currently marketed as health-promoting cultures or probiotics...
- Ingestion of Lactobacillus strain regulates emotional behavior and central GABA receptor expression in a mouse via the vagus nerveJavier A Bravo
Laboratory of Neurogastroenterology, Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:16050-5. 2011..However, it is unknown whether lactic acid bacteria such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus could have a direct effect on neurotransmitter receptors in the CNS in normal, healthy animals...
- Bacteriocins: developing innate immunity for foodPaul D Cotter
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, Microbiology Department, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Nat Rev Microbiol 3:777-88. 2005..In this sense, bacteriocins can be used to confer a rudimentary form of innate immunity to foodstuffs, helping processors extend their control over the food flora long after manufacture...
- Deep sequencing of the vaginal microbiota of women with HIVRuben Hummelen
Canadian Research and Development Centre for Probiotics, Lawson Health Research Institute, London, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e12078. 2010..It is poorly understood which bacterial communities constitute BV or the normal vaginal microbiota among this population and how the microbiota associated with BV responds to antibiotic treatment...
- Genome-scale analyses of health-promoting bacteria: probiogenomicsMarco Ventura
Department of Genetics, Anthropology and Evolution, University of Parma, Italy
Nat Rev Microbiol 7:61-71. 2009..In this Review, we discuss the application of probiogenomics in the elucidation of the molecular basis of probiosis using the well-recognized model probiotic bacteria genera Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus as examples.
- Mucosal delivery of therapeutic and prophylactic molecules using lactic acid bacteriaJerry M Wells
Host Microbe Interactomics, University of Wageningen, Animal Sciences Department, P O Box 338, 6700 AH, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Microbiol 6:349-62. 2008....
- Comparative genomics of the lactic acid bacteriaK Makarova
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:15611-6. 2006....
- The VSL#3 probiotic formula induces mucin gene expression and secretion in colonic epithelial cellsC Caballero-Franco
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Saint Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G315-22. 2007..Among the three bacterial groups (Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria, and Streptococci) contained in VSL#3, the Lactobacillus species were the strongest potentiator of mucin secretion in vitro...
- Effect of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 on blood glucose levels and body weight in a mouse model of type 2 diabetesS I Yun
R and D Center, BIONEER Co, Daejeon, South Korea
J Appl Microbiol 107:1681-6. 2009To investigate the effect of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 isolated from human breast milk on blood glucose and body weight in type 2 diabetic animals.
- Probiotic table olives: microbial populations adhering on olive surface in fermentation sets inoculated with the probiotic strain Lactobacillus paracasei IMPC2.1 in an industrial plantPalmira De Bellis
Institute of Sciences of Food Production ISPA, National Research Council CNR, Via Amendola, 122 O, 70126 Bari, Italy
Int J Food Microbiol 140:6-13. 2010..Bella di Cerignola in fermentation sets inoculated with the probiotic strain Lactobacillus paracasei IMPC2.1 in different brining conditions (4% and 8% (w/v) NaCl) at room temperature and 4 degrees C...
- Efficacy of Lactobacillus GG in maintaining remission of ulcerative colitisM A Zocco
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1567-74. 2006..Aminosalicylates are the mainstay of therapy to prevent relapse of quiescent ulcerative colitis. The rationale for using probiotics is based on the evidence implicating intestinal bacteria in the pathogenesis of this disorder...
- Quantitative determination by real-time PCR of four vaginal Lactobacillus species, Gardnerella vaginalis and Atopobium vaginae indicates an inverse relationship between L. gasseri and L. inersEllen De Backer
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Ghent University Hospital, UGent, Ghent, Belgium
BMC Microbiol 7:115. 2007..Here we applied existing real-time PCR formats for Lactobacillus crispatus, L. gasseri and Gardnerella vaginalis and developed new formats for Atopobium vaginae, L...
- Regulation of abdominal adiposity by probiotics (Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055) in adults with obese tendencies in a randomized controlled trialY Kadooka
Technology and Research Institute, Snow Brand Milk Products Co Ltd, Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:636-43. 2010..We evaluated the effects of the probiotic Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055 (LG2055) on abdominal adiposity, body weight and other body measures in adults with obese ..
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 is trapped by acidic but not by neutralized human cervicovaginal mucusSamuel K Lai
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Institute for NanoBioTechnology, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 N Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Virol 83:11196-200. 2009..Here, we report that human cervicovaginal mucus (CVM), obtained from donors with normal lactobacillus-dominated vaginal flora, efficiently traps HIV, causing it to diffuse more than 1,000-fold more slowly than it ..
- Quantitative analysis of diverse Lactobacillus species present in advanced dental cariesRoy Byun
Institute of Dental Research, Westmead Centre for Oral Health, P O Box 533, Wentworthville, NSW 2145, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 42:3128-36. 2004..Pooled DNA was amplified by PCR with Lactobacillus genus-specific primers for subsequent cloning, sequencing, and phylogenetic analysis...
- Altered early infant gut microbiota in children developing allergy up to 5 years of ageY M Sjögren
Department of Immunology, The Wenner Gren Institute, Arrhenius Laboratory of Natural Sciences F5, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Exp Allergy 39:518-26. 2009..Previous studies of infant gut microbiota in relation to subsequent allergy development have mostly employed culture-dependent techniques, studied genera of bacteria and the follow-up period was limited to 2 years...
- Genes and molecules of lactobacilli supporting probiotic actionSarah Lebeer
Centre of Microbial and Plant Genetics, K U Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 20, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 72:728-64, Table of Contents. 2008..less attention being focused on the specificities of the bacterial partners, notwithstanding the completion of Lactobacillus genome sequencing projects, and increasing possibilities of genomics-based and dedicated mutant analyses...
- pH-, Lactic acid-, and non-lactic acid-dependent activities of probiotic Lactobacilli against Salmonella enterica Serovar TyphimuriumDomitille Fayol-Messaoudi
Faculte de Pharmacie, Inserm Unité 510, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:6008-13. 2005The mechanism(s) underlying the antibacterial activity of probiotic Lactobacillus strains appears to be multifactorial and includes lowering of the pH and the production of lactic acid and of antibacterial compounds, including ..
- Bacterial teichoic acids reverse predominant IL-12 production induced by certain lactobacillus strains into predominant IL-10 production via TLR2-dependent ERK activation in macrophagesRumi Kaji
Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 184:3505-13. 2010..To clarify the mechanism whereby Lactobacillus strains differentially induce production of IL-10 and IL-12, we examined the potential relationship between ..
- Prevention of vaginal SHIV transmission in macaques by a live recombinant LactobacillusL A Lagenaur
Gene Structure and Regulation Section, Vaccine Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Mucosal Immunol 4:648-57. 2011..in women occur through the cervicovaginal mucosa, which is coated by a bacterial biofilm including Lactobacillus. This commensal bacterium has a role in maintaining a healthy mucosa and can be genetically engineered to ..
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of lactobacillus on asthmatic children with allergic rhinitisYue Sheng Chen
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Pediatr Pulmonol 45:1111-20. 2010..To determine whether daily supplementation with specific Lactobacillus gasseri A5 for 8 weeks can improve the clinical symptoms and immunoregulatory changes in school children ..
- Effect of intranasal administration of Lactobacillus pentosus S-PT84 on influenza virus infection in miceTakayuki Izumo
Institute for Health Care Science, Suntory Wellness Limited, 1 1 1 Wakayamadai, Shimamoto cho, Mishima gun, Osaka 618 8503, Japan
Int Immunopharmacol 10:1101-6. 2010b>Lactobacillus pentosus strain S-PT84 isolated from Kyoto pickles enhances splenic natural killer (NK) cell activity and exhibit anti-allergic effects by modulating the Th1/Th2 (T-helper1/T-helper2) balance...
- Lactobacillus sepsis associated with probiotic therapyMichael H Land
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Pediatrics 115:178-81. 2005..patients who received probiotic lactobacilli and subsequently developed bacteremia and sepsis attributable to Lactobacillus species...
- Pyrosequencing of the genital microbiotas of HIV-seropositive and -seronegative women reveals Lactobacillus iners as the predominant Lactobacillus SpeciesGregory T Spear
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:378-81. 2011..b>Lactobacillus iners sequences were the predominant lactobacillus sequences in 66% of HIV(+) women and 90% of HIV(-) women...
- New scientific paradigms for probiotics and prebioticsGregor Reid
Canadian Research and Development Centre for Probiotics, Lawson Health Research Institute, 268 Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario, N6A 4V2, Canada
J Clin Gastroenterol 37:105-18. 2003....
- Lactobacillus and bifidobacterium in irritable bowel syndrome: symptom responses and relationship to cytokine profilesLiam O'Mahony
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Gastroenterology 128:541-51. 2005The aim of this study was to compare the response of symptoms and cytokine ratios in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with ingestion of probiotic preparations containing a lactobacillus or bifidobacterium strain.
- Changes in gut microbiota control metabolic endotoxemia-induced inflammation in high-fat diet-induced obesity and diabetes in micePatrice D Cani
Unit of Pharmacokinetics, Metabolism, Nutrition and Toxicology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 57:1470-81. 2008..e., metabolic endotoxemia. Therefore, it remained to demonstrate whether changes in gut microbiota control the occurrence of metabolic diseases...
- Lactobacillus species prevents colitis in interleukin 10 gene-deficient miceK L Madsen
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 116:1107-14. 1999..The aim of this study was to determine the role of colonic aerobic luminal bacteria and Lactobacillus species in the development of colitis in interleukin (IL)-10 gene-deficient mice.
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of probiotics for primary prevention: no clinical effects of Lactobacillus GG supplementationMatthias Volkmar Kopp
University Children s Hospital, Mathildenstrasse 1, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Pediatrics 121:e850-6. 2008..The value of probiotics for primary prevention is controversial. Published trials vary considerably in study design and the applied probiotics, thereby limiting comparability of the results...
- The anti-allergic effects of lactic acid bacteria are strain dependent and mediated by effects on both Th1/Th2 cytokine expression and balanceDaisuke Fujiwara
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 135:205-15. 2004..However, no comprehensive studies have been done that compare the immune-stimulating potential of LAB strains...
- A delicate balance: risk factors for acquisition of bacterial vaginosis include sexual activity, absence of hydrogen peroxide-producing lactobacilli, black race, and positive herpes simplex virus type 2 serologyThomas L Cherpes
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:78-83. 2008..The etiology of bacterial vaginosis (BV) is poorly understood, but better definition of the risk factors associated with its acquisition should improve our understanding of this complex disease entity...
- Taxonomy of Lactobacilli and BifidobacteriaGiovanna E Felis
Dipartimento Scientifico e Tecnologico, Facolta di Scienze MM FF NN, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Strada Le Grazie 15, 37134 Verona, Italy
Curr Issues Intest Microbiol 8:44-61. 2007Genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium include a large number of species and strains exhibiting important properties in an applied context, especially in the area of food and probiotics...
- Potential uses of probiotics in clinical practiceGregor Reid
Canadian Research and Development Centre for Probiotics, The Lawson Health Research Institute, London, Ontario N6A 4V2, Canada
Clin Microbiol Rev 16:658-72. 2003..Based upon the evidence to date, future advances with single- and multiple-strain therapies are on the horizon for the management of a number of debilitating and even fatal conditions...
- Differentiation of Lactobacillus plantarum, L. pentosus, and L. paraplantarum by recA gene sequence analysis and multiplex PCR assay with recA gene-derived primersS Torriani
Dipartimento Scientifico e Tecnologico, , , 37134 Verona, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:3450-4. 2001In this study, we succeeded in differentiating Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus pentosus, and Lactobacillus paraplantarum by means of recA gene sequence comparison...
- High-level, inducible gene expression in Lactobacillus sakei and Lactobacillus plantarum using versatile expression vectorsElisabeth Sørvig
MATFORSK, Norwegian Food Research Institute, Osloveien 1, N 1430 As, Norway
Microbiology 151:2439-49. 2005Vectors have been developed for inducible gene expression in Lactobacillus sakei and Lactobacillus plantarum in which expression of the gene of interest is driven by strong, regulated promoters from bacteriocin operons found in L...
- Longitudinal analysis of the vaginal microflora in pregnancy suggests that L. crispatus promotes the stability of the normal vaginal microflora and that L. gasseri and/or L. iners are more conducive to the occurrence of abnormal vaginal microfloraHans Verstraelen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
BMC Microbiol 9:116. 2009..It remains elusive however to what extent interindividual differences in vaginal Lactobacillus community composition determine the stability of this microflora...
- Factors influencing the composition of the intestinal microbiota in early infancyJohn Penders
Department of Epidemiology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, Netherlands
Pediatrics 118:511-21. 2006..The aim of this study was to examine the contribution of a broad range of external influences to the gut microbiotic composition in early infancy...
- Exclusion of vanA, vanB and vanC type glycopeptide resistance in strains of Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus rhamnosus used as probiotics by polymerase chain reaction and hybridization methodsG Klein
Institute of Meat Hygiene and Technology, Veterinary Faculty, Free University of Berlin, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 89:815-24. 2000Strains of Lactobacillus reuteri and Lact. rhamnosus are used as probiotics in man and animal. The aim of this study was to determine whether the glycopeptide resistance in these lactobacilli has a similar genetic basis as in enterococci...
- Rapid PCR-based procedure to identify lactic acid bacteria: application to six common Lactobacillus speciesP Chagnaud
Département de Microbiologie des Ecosystèmes, Institut Pasteur de Lille 1, rue du Professeur Calmette, BP 245, 59019 Cedex, Lille, France
J Microbiol Methods 44:139-48. 2001..develop a method allowing rapid identification of the lactic acid bacteria strains in use in the laboratory (Lactobacillus plantarum NCIMB8826; L. fermentum KLD; L. reuteri 100-23; L. salivarius UCC43321; L. paracasei LbTGS1.4; L...
- Protection against translocating Salmonella typhimurium infection in mice by feeding the immuno-enhancing probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain HN001H S Gill
Milk and Health Research Centre, Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Med Microbiol Immunol 190:97-104. 2001The probiotic lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus (strain HN001) is known to stimulate enhanced innate and acquired immune responses in mice. following oral delivery...
- Protective action of Lactobacillus kefir carrying S-layer protein against Salmonella enterica serovar EnteritidisM A Golowczyc
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos CIDCA, Argentina
Int J Food Microbiol 118:264-73. 2007Eight Lactobacillus kefir strains isolated from different kefir grains were tested for their ability to antagonize Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis (Salmonella enteritidis) interaction with epithelial cells. L...
- Effects of feeding an infant formula containing Lactobacillus GG on the colonization of the intestine: a dose-response study in healthy infantsBryon W Petschow
Mead Johnson Nutritionals, Evansville, IN 47721, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:786-90. 2005This study aimed to determine whether feeding Lactobacillus GG (LGG) at varying levels (10 to 10 cfu/day) would result in colonization, defined as > or =1,000 cfu of LGG per gram of stool in 3 of 5 samples collected during the feeding ..
- Predominant genera of fecal microbiota in children with atopic dermatitis are not altered by intake of probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis Bi-07Nadja Larsen
Department of Food Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 75:482-96. 2011The effect of probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM and Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07 on the composition of the Lactobacillus group, Bifidobacterium and the total bacterial population in feces from young children with atopic ..
- Lactobacillus GG improves recovery in infants with blood in the stools and presumptive allergic colitis compared with extensively hydrolyzed formula aloneMaria Elisabetta Baldassarre
Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Neonatology, University of Bari Policlinic Hospital, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr 156:397-401. 2010To determine the benefits of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) in an extensively hydrolyzed casein formula (EHCF) in improving hematochezia and fecal calprotectin over EHCF alone.
- Effect of orthodontic treatment on saliva, plaque and the levels of Streptococcus mutans and LactobacillusEdith Lara-Carrillo
Department of Orthodontics, Research Center, School of Dentistry, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Toluca, Estado de Mexico, Mexico
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 15:e924-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to identify changes in the oral environment with clinical, salivary and bacterial risk markers after placement of fixed orthodontic appliances on permanent dentition...
- Immunobiotic Lactobacillus jensenii elicits anti-inflammatory activity in porcine intestinal epithelial cells by modulating negative regulators of the Toll-like receptor signaling pathwayTomoyuki Shimazu
Food Immunology Group, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Infect Immun 80:276-88. 2012The effect of Lactobacillus jensenii TL2937 on the inflammatory immune response triggered by enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in a porcine intestinal epitheliocyte cell line (PIE cells) was evaluated...
- Lactobacillus adhesion to mucusMaxwell L Van Tassell
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, 905 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Nutrients 3:613-36. 2011..polymerize, forming a framework to which certain microbial populations can adhere, including probiotic Lactobacillus species...
- Treatment of green table olive solutions with ozone. Effect on their polyphenol content and on Lactobacillus pentosus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae growthK A Segovia Bravo
Food Biotechnology Department, Instituto de la Grasa CSIC, Avda Padre Garcia Tejero, 4 41012, Seville, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 114:60-8. 2007..In this study we evaluated the effect of ozone treated GTOS on the growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Lactobacillus pentosus. GTOS were treated with ozone for 24 and 72 h...
- Effects of ingesting Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt in subjects with colonized Helicobacter pyloriKuan Yuan Wang
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Clin Nutr 80:737-41. 2004..Supplementing with Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt (AB-yogurt) was shown to improve the rates of eradication of H...
- Probiotics and prevention of atopic disease: 4-year follow-up of a randomised placebo-controlled trialMarko Kalliomaki
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turku, Finland
Lancet 361:1869-71. 2003Perinatal administration of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain GG (ATCC 53103), reduces incidence of atopic eczema in at-risk children during the first 2 years of life (infancy)...
- Effect of long term consumption of probiotic milk on infections in children attending day care centres: double blind, randomised trialK Hatakka
Valio Research and Development, PO Box 30, FIN-00039 Valio, Helsinki, Finland
BMJ 322:1327. 2001..4 (1.5) years) in the control group. Intervention: Milk with or without Lactobacillus GG. Average daily consumption of milk in both groups was 260 ml...
- Histamine-producing pathway encoded on an unstable plasmid in Lactobacillus hilgardii 0006Patrick M Lucas
Faculté d Oenologie, UMR 1219, INRA Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 351, Cours de la Liberation, 33405 Talence, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1417-24. 2005..We have isolated a histamine-producing lactic acid bacterium, Lactobacillus hilgardii strain IOEB 0006, which could retain or lose the ability to produce histamine depending on culture ..
- Comparison of the diversity of the vaginal microbiota in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected women with or without bacterial vaginosisGregory T Spear
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Infect Dis 198:1131-40. 2008..Whether human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection is associated with a change in the diversity of genital microbiota in women was investigated...
- PCR-based identification of eight Lactobacillus species and 18 hr-HPV genotypes in fixed cervical samples of South African women at risk of HIV and BVJoke A M Dols
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Diagn Cytopathol 40:472-7. 2012..An inventory of lactobacilli organisms was performed using microarray technology. On the basis of the Lactobacillus and Lactobacillus biofilm scoring, the cases were identified as Leiden bacterial vaginosis (BV) negative (BV-; ..
- Lactic acid bacteria and their effect on the immune systemG Perdigon
Centro de Referencias para Lactobacilos CERELA, Chacabuco 145, 4000 Tucuman, Argentina, Instituto de Microbiologia, Facultad de Bioquimica, Quimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Argentina
Curr Issues Intest Microbiol 2:27-42. 2001..The basic knowledge of LAB immunostimulation and the criteria for selection of LAB by their immunostimulatory capacity, will be extensively discussed and appraised in this review...
- Extracellular MUC3 mucin secretion follows adherence of Lactobacillus strains to intestinal epithelial cells in vitroD R Mack
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Canada
Gut 52:827-33. 2003..Increased MUC3 mRNA transcription is induced by incubation of intestinal epithelial cells with a Lactobacillus strain known to be adherent to them.
- Impact of supplement with Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt on triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradicationB S Sheu
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1669-75. 2002To test whether supplements of Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt (AB-Yogurt) affect the success of Helicobacter pylori eradication.
- Cell surface-associated lipoteichoic acid acts as an adhesion factor for attachment of Lactobacillus johnsonii La1 to human enterocyte-like Caco-2 cellsD Granato
Nestle Research Center, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:1071-7. 1999The influence of pH on the adhesion of two Lactobacillus strains to Caco-2 human intestinal cells was investigated. One strain, Lactobacillus johnsonii La1, was adherent at any pH between 4 and 7. The other one, L...
- Synergy between Lactobacillus paracasei and its bacterial products to counteract stress-induced gut permeability and sensitivity increase in ratsHelene Eutamene
Neuro Gastroenterology and Nutrition Unit, UMR 1054 INRA EI Purpan, Toulouse, France
J Nutr 137:1901-7. 2007Stressful events result in the alteration of gut permeability and sensitivity. Lactobacillus paracasei NCC2461 (Lpa) therapy prevents antibiotic-induced visceral hyperalgesia in mice...
- Effects of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 on body weight and adipose tissue mass in diet-induced overweight ratsJi Hee Kang
R and D Center, BIONEER Co, Daejeon 306 220, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 48:712-4. 2010We investigated the weight-gain suppressive effect of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 isolated from human breast milk. Rats were fed a high-carbohydrate diet and administered BNR17 (BNR17 group) twice daily for twelve weeks...
- Effect of probiotic Lactobacillus strains in children with atopic dermatitisVibeke Rosenfeldt
Research Department of Human Nutrition and the LMC Center for Advanced Food Studies, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:389-95. 2003..Recent studies suggest that oral bacteriotherapy with probiotics might be useful in the management of atopic dermatitis (AD)...
- Comparative and functional analysis of sortase-dependent proteins in the predicted secretome of Lactobacillus salivarius UCC118Jan Peter van Pijkeren
Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:4143-53. 2006..We performed a comparative bioinformatic analysis of four publicly available Lactobacillus genomes and the genome of Lactobacillus salivarius subsp...
- Quantification of Bifidobacterium spp. and Lactobacillus spp. in rat fecal samples by real-time PCRJean Marc Delroisse
FUSAGx, Unité de Biologie Animale et Microbienne, avenue Maréchal Juin, 6, 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
Microbiol Res 163:663-70. 2008..Real-time PCR detection of serially diluted DNA isolated from reference strains of Bifidobacterium longum and Lactobacillus acidophilus was linear for cell counts ranging from 10(6) to 10 cells per PCR assay...
- Lactobacillus GG as an immune adjuvant for live-attenuated influenza vaccine in healthy adults: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trialL E Davidson
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:501-7. 2011..We hypothesized that Lactobacillus GG (LGG) would function as an immune adjuvant to increase rates of seroconversion after LAIV administration.
- The Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium microflora of the human intestine: composition and successionG Reuter
Department of Food Hygiene, Veterinary Faculty, Free University of Berlin, Bruemmerstr. 10, D-14195 Berlin, Dahlem, Germany
Curr Issues Intest Microbiol 2:43-53. 2001b>Lactobacillus and bifidobacterial cultures are increasingly used as probiotics in pharmaceuticals and in foods. The selection of strains is performed often for technological rather than for microecological reasons...
- Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens M1 isolated from milk kefir grains ameliorates experimental colitis in vitro and in vivoY P Chen
Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Dairy Sci 95:63-74. 2012b>Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens M1, isolated from and identified in Taiwanese milk kefir grain, has demonstrated immune-modulating activity. In the present study, we further investigated the effects of Lb...
- Species diversity and relative abundance of vaginal lactic acid bacteria from women in Uganda and KoreaL Jin
Department of Oral Biology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1107-15. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the species richness and relative abundance of Lactobacillus and other lactic acid bacteria in women of two geographically distant countries, Uganda and Korea.
- Extracellular proteins of Lactobacillus crispatus enhance activation of human plasminogenVeera Hurmalainen
General Microbiology, Faculty of Biosciences, PO Box 56, FIN00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Microbiology 153:1112-22. 2007..This paper reports that a commensal bacterium, Lactobacillus crispatus, interacts with the Plg system. Strain ST1 of L...
- The novel porcine Lactobacillus sobrius strain protects intestinal cells from enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli K88 infection and prevents membrane barrier damageMarianna Roselli
Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione, 00178 Rome, Italy
J Nutr 137:2709-16. 2007..porcine intestinal IPEC-1 epithelial cells as a model to investigate a possible protective activity of a new Lactobacillus species, the L...
- Environmental stress responses in Lactobacillus: a reviewMaria de Angelis
Istituto di Scienze delle Produzioni Alimentari, CNR, Bari, Italy
Proteomics 4:106-22. 2004Environmental stress responses in Lactobacillus, which have been investigated mainly by proteomics approaches, are reviewed...
- Early enteral supply of fiber and Lactobacilli versus conventional nutrition: a controlled trial in patients with major abdominal surgeryNada Rayes
Department of Surgery, Charite, Campus Virchow, Augustenberger Platz 1, 13355 Berlin, Germany
Nutrition 18:609-15. 2002Early enteral nutrition with fiber-containing solutions plus Lactobacillus may reduce bacterial translocation and minimize the incidence of infections after surgery.
- Characterization and heterologous expression of a class IIa bacteriocin, plantaricin 423 from Lactobacillus plantarum 423, in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeC A Van Reenen
Department of Microbiology, University of Stellenbosch, J C Smuts Building, Block A De Beer Avenue, 7600, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Int J Food Microbiol 81:29-40. 2003b>Lactobacillus plantarum 423 produces a small heat-stable antimicrobial protein designated plantaricin 423. This protein is bactericidal for many Gram-positive foodborne pathogens and spoilage bacteria, including Listeria spp...
- Influence of early gut microbiota on the maturation of childhood mucosal and systemic immune responsesY M Sjögren
Department of Immunology, Wenner Gren Institute, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Exp Allergy 39:1842-51. 2009..Although animal and in vitro studies emphasize the role of the commensal gut microbiota in the development of the immune system, the influence of the gut microbiota on immune development in infants is unclear...
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus alleviates intestinal barrier dysfunction in part by increasing expression of zonula occludens-1 and myosin light-chain kinase in vivoE Miyauchi
Graduate School of Biosphere Science, Hiroshima University, 1 4 4 Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739 8528, Japan
J Dairy Sci 92:2400-8. 2009..Among the 4 lactobacilli studied, Lactobacillus rhamnosus OLL2838 most effectively suppressed barrier impairment and increased IL-8 secretion induced by tumor ..
- Genome shuffling of Lactobacillus for improved acid toleranceRanjan Patnaik
Codexis, 515 Galveston Drive, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
Nat Biotechnol 20:707-12. 2002..the use of genome shuffling to improve the acid tolerance of a poorly characterized industrial strain of Lactobacillus. We used classical strain-improvement methods to generate populations with subtle improvements in pH tolerance,..
- Lactobacillus phylogenomics--towards a reclassification of the genusMarcus J Claesson
Department of Microbiology and Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Ireland
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:2945-54. 2008The extremely diverse genus Lactobacillus is the largest among the lactic acid bacteria, with over 145 recognized species...
- Ineffectiveness of Lactobacillus johnsonii LA1 for prophylaxis of postoperative recurrence in Crohn's disease: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled GETAID trialP Marteau
Department Gastroenterology, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Gut 55:842-7. 2006..Bacteria are involved, and probiotics may modulate immune responses to the intestinal flora. Here we tested the probiotic strain Lactobacillus johnsonii LA1 in this setting.
- Ineffectiveness of probiotics in preventing recurrence after curative resection for Crohn's disease: a randomised controlled trial with Lactobacillus GGC Prantera
Division of Gastroenterology, Azienda Ospedaliera S Camillo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Gut 51:405-9. 2002..The aim of this randomised placebo controlled study was to determine if Lactobacillus GG, given by mouth for one year, could prevent Crohn's recurrent lesions after surgery or to reduce their ..
- Probiotics: an overview of beneficial effectsArthur C Ouwehand
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, FIN 20014 Turku, Finland
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 82:279-89. 2002..Results from well conducted clinical studies will expand and increase the acceptance of probiotics for the treatment and prevention of selected diseases...
- Lactobacillus reuteri (DSM 17938) in infants with functional chronic constipation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studyPaola Coccorullo
Department of Pediatrics, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Pediatr 157:598-602. 2010To evaluate the beneficial effects of Lactobacillus reuteri (DSM 17938) in infants with functional chronic constipation.
- Lactic acid bacteria colonization and clinical outcome after probiotic supplementation in conventionally treated bacterial vaginosis and vulvovaginal candidiasisSophia Ehrstrom
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, PA 182 88, Sweden
Microbes Infect 12:691-9. 2010..Vaginal capsules containing L gasseri LN40, Lactobacillus fermentum LN99, L. casei subsp. rhamnosus LN113 and P...
- The S-layer proteins of Lactobacillus crispatus strain ZJ001 is responsible for competitive exclusion against Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella typhimuriumXueyan Chen
Zhejiang University Institute of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, and Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory of Prevent Veterinary Medicine, Hangzhou, PR China
Int J Food Microbiol 115:307-12. 2007b>Lactobacillus crispatus ZJ001, isolated from pig intestines and identified by sequencing analysis based on partial 16S rRNA gene, was examined in vitro for probiotic activity exerted by the surface layer proteins (S-layer)...
- Lactobacillus GG in inducing and maintaining remission of Crohn's diseaseMichael Schultz
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
BMC Gastroenterol 4:5. 2004..The aim of this randomized, placebo-controlled trial was to determine the effect of oral Lactobacillus GG (L. GG) to induce or maintain medically induced remission.
- Multicenter randomized-controlled clinical trial of probiotics (Lactobacillus johnsonii, LA1) on early endoscopic recurrence of Crohn's disease after lleo-caecal resectionAndre Van Gossum
Erasme University Hospital, ULB, Brussels, Belgium
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:135-42. 2007..This study is a multicenter clinical trial evaluating the efficacy of an oral administration of the probiotic LAl on early post-operative endoscopic recurrence of CD...
- Antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria isolated from sour doughs: purification and characterization of bavaricin A, a bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus bavaricus MI401A G Larsen
Department of Dairy and Food Science, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
J Appl Bacteriol 75:113-22. 1993..These 18 isolates belonged to three different Lactobacillus species: Lactobacillus bavaricus, Lactobacillus curvatus and Lactobacillus plantarum...
- Lactobacillus johnsonii La1 antagonizes Giardia intestinalis in vivoMartín A Humen
CIDCA, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Calle 47 y 116 CC 553, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Infect Immun 73:1265-9. 2005This study describes the in vivo activity of Lactobacillus johnsonii La1 (NCC533) in Giardia intestinalis-infected gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus)...
- Lactobacilli activate human dendritic cells that skew T cells toward T helper 1 polarizationMansour Mohamadzadeh
National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:2880-5. 2005..Many Lactobacillus species are normal members of the human gut microflora and most are regarded as safe when administered as ..
- Lactobacillus acidipiscis sp. nov. and Weissella thailandensis sp. nov., isolated from fermented fish in ThailandS Tanasupawat
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 50:1479-85. 2000..They were identified as new species and named Lactobacillus acidipiscis sp. nov. and Weissella thailandensis sp. nov...
- Correlation between in vitro and in vivo immunomodulatory properties of lactic acid bacteriaBenoit Foligne
Bactéries Lactiques and Immunité des Muqueuses, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, Lille cedex F 59019, France
World J Gastroenterol 13:236-43. 2007..To investigate the correlation between in vitro and in vivo immunomodulation potential of the probiotic strain and its ability to prevent experimental colitis in mice...
- Overview of gut flora and probioticsW H Holzapfel
Institute of Hygiene and Toxicology, Federal Research Centre for Nutrition, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 41:85-101. 1998....
- Survival of freeze-dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus KFRI 673 in chitosan-coated calcium alginate microparticlesJ S Lee
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Korea University, 1, 5 Ka, Anam Dong, Sungbuk Ku, Seoul 136 701, Korea
J Agric Food Chem 52:7300-5. 2004..alginate microparticles coated with three kinds of chitosans of different molecular weights on the survival of Lactobacillus bulgaricus KFRI 673 in simulated gastric (SGJ) and intestinal juices (SIJ) and on their stability during ..
- Lactobacillus strains differentially modulate cytokine production by hPBMC from pollen-allergic patientsYvonne M Vissers
Cell Biology and Immunology Group, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 61:28-40. 2011The objective of this study was to assess the potential immunomodulatory effect of six Lactobacillus strains on human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (hPBMC) isolated from allergic patients...
- Improved stress tolerance of GroESL-overproducing Lactococcus lactis and probiotic Lactobacillus paracasei NFBC 338C Desmond
Teagasc, Biotechnology Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:5929-36. 2004..Two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis revealed that GroEL expression in probiotic Lactobacillus paracasei NFBC 338 was increased under heat adaptation conditions (52 degrees C for 15 min)...
- Monostrain, multistrain and multispecies probiotics--A comparison of functionality and efficacyH M Timmerman
Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, P O Box 80 152, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Food Microbiol 96:219-33. 2004..It is also emphasized that strains used in multistrain and multispecies probiotics should be compatible or, preferably, synergistic. The design and use of multistrain and multispecies probiotics should be encouraged...
- Mixed-culture transcriptome analysis reveals the molecular basis of mixed-culture growth in Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricusSander Sieuwerts
Top Institute Food and Nutrition, P O Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:7775-84. 2010..Yogurt fermentation by Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus (basonym, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp...
- Natural antimicrobials against bacterial vaginosisMichael Chikindas; Fiscal Year: 2006..Healthy vaginal Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain 160 produces an antimicrobial peptide, bacteriocin, designated as lactocin 160, which is ..
- Effect of Lactobacillus GG on gut permeability and microbiome in VLBW neonatesROSE MARIE VISCARDI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our long-term goal is to determine the safety and efficacy of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) to prevent NEC in VLBW infants...
- Diet and Gastrointestinal Cancer Risk in African Americans and Rural AfricansSTEPHEN JD O'KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2012..In contrast, a high resistant starch diet stimulates mucosal-protective Lactobacillus species were, indeed, found to be more common in Africans...
- Mucosal Immunity and Microbiota in Intestinal Graft-versus-Host DiseaseMarcel R m van den Brink; Fiscal Year: 2013..flora, including a loss of microbial diversity, dysbiosis (imbalance of intestinal flora) and the expansion of Lactobacillus or Enterobacteriaceae, which have opposite effects on GVHD...
- Probiotic-Induced Elimination of Oxalate to treat HyperoxaluriaMarguerite Hatch; Fiscal Year: 2013..Other bacteria including Lactobacillus sp. and Bifidobacterium sp...
- Development of transformed lactobacilli as a microbicideRichard B Markham; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 will be used in a mouse model that does not require progesterone pre-treatment, as this strain ..
- Probiotics and HIF signaling in Alcoholic Liver DiseaseWenke Feng; Fiscal Year: 2013..Supplementation of a probiotic strain, lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG), attenuates those deleterious effects and ALD. However, the mechanisms are unknown...
- (PQA1) Mechanism of Vitamin D Chemoprevention Against Colon CancerYan Chun Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will compare tumorigenesis in gnotobiotic mice mono-associated with Lactobacillus acidophilus lacking 7-DH to mice also associated with Clostridium scindens expressing 7-DH fed Western diet or ..
- Development of Site-Specific Mutagenesis in Coxiella burnettiJAMES EVANS SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2012..burnetii using allelic exchange or the retrohoming mechanism of the mobile group II intron LtrB of Lactobacillus lactis (TargeTron technology, Sigma-Aldrich)...
- Gut microflora: Impact on neonatal immunity, viral gastroenteritis and vaccinesANASTASIA NICKOLAEVNA VLASOVA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Neonates undergo progressive changes in the gut microflora which we will model by colonizing Gn pigs with Lactobacillus spp (Gram, G+), E. coli (G- ), both, or a commensal cocktail from conventional piglets...
- New composite material design based on studies of tooth-composite and microbial iJ Paul Santerre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Post degradation specimens will be exposed to S. mutans UA159 alone or with Lactobacillus casei ATCC 746 in a chemostat based biofilms fermentor (CBBF), mimicking oral conditions for 7 days...
- Lactogenic immunity/probiotics: Effect on neonatal gut immunityLinda J Saif; Fiscal Year: 2010..Bifidobacteria and lactobacillus strains differ in breastfed vs formula fed infants...
- Probiotics-derived soluble proteins regulate intestinal inflammationFang Yan; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary/Abstract Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) is one of the best-studied probiotic bacteria in clinical trials for treating and/or preventing several intestinal disorders, includig inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- Phenotype MicroArray Analysis of Fastidious PathogensBarry Bochner; Fiscal Year: 2009..Arcobacter, Wolinella), and important colonizers of the colon and vagina (Bacteroides, Clostridium, Lactobacillus, Escherichia)...
- Enhancement of NAFLD risk by vinyl chloride: interaction of gut-liver-adipose axiJULIANE INGEBORG BEIER; Fiscal Year: 2013..signaling cascades, impairs barrier function integrity in NAFLD and that probiotic supplementation [Lactobacillus rhamnosus Gorbach-Goldin (LGG)] will attenuate these effects. Aim 1...
- Probiotics and Innate Intestinal DefensePATRICIA LANEE WEI DENNING; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our long term goal is to explain how the probiotic commensal bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus (LGG) might act to prevent NEC in newborn humans...
- Mechanisms of Immune Modulation by ProbioticsLijuan Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Some probiotic Lactobacillus strains demonstrated intrinsic adjuvanticity and enhanced antigen-specific immune responses to rotavirus infection and to viral and bacterial vaccines...
- OUTER MEMBRANE PROTEINS OF PATHOGENIC LEPTOSPIRA SPECIESDavid A Haake; Fiscal Year: 2013..coli and Lactobacillus oral OMP-based vaccines that prevent acquisition of renal infection by reservoir hosts and effectively block ..
- Immature intestinal NF-kB regulation, probiotics, and necrotizing enterocolitisErika C Claud; Fiscal Year: 2013..2. Determine the ability of secreted bacterial products from the probiotic organisms Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Bifidobacterium infantis to protect against necrotizing ..
- Gut micro biota in patients with multiple sclerosisHoward L Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the EAE mouse model of MS, probiotic administration of lactobacillus reduces disease activity and depletion of microflora using antibiotics in inbred SJL and C57BL/6 mice impaired ..
- Identification of Lactobacillus Secreted Factors in Regulation of PgpSeema Saksena; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this regard, we have recently shown that probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus (24 h) culture supernatant (CS) increased Pgp function and expression in human intestinal ..
- Role of stress-induced reduction in Lactobacillus reuteri on colonic inflammationMichael T Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2013..and widely used social stressor, called social disruption (SDR) reduces the abundance of commensal Lactobacillus reuteri in the colon...
- VSL for AsthmaAlessio Fasano; Fiscal Year: 2010..Probiotics (those microbes that produce only beneficial effects in the host gut), such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are reduced in the intestinal microbiota of atopic individuals and westernized populations...
- Mechanistic basis of probiotic prevention of osteoporosisNarayanan Parameswaran; Fiscal Year: 2013..Most importantly, oral administration of a human derived probiotic, Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC PTA 6475, inhibits ovx induced intestinal changes, bone marrow T-cell changes and prevents bone ..
- Female Genital Innate Immune Response to Vaginal MicrobiotaCaroline M Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013..are more vulnerable to colonization due to low baseline levels of those antimicrobial peptides;3) that Lactobacillus species and BV-associated pathogens activate the innate immune response differently via pattern-recognition ..
- Vaginal Ring for Preventing Bacterial VaginosisTHOMAS RAY MOENCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is an exceptionally common vaginal condition in which robust lactobacillus microflora in the vagina is replaced by a dense polymicrobial overgrowth...
- Delivery of passive immunity against HIV using commensal vaginal Lactobacillus biLaurel A Lagenaur; Fiscal Year: 2012..In healthy women of childbearing age, mucosal antibodies and microflora, including Lactobacillus jensenii, help protect these surfaces and serve to block the colonization and infection by intruding pathogens...
- Development of a Live Combinational Microbicide for WomenQiang Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The company's lead product, LACTIN-V, is a naturally occurring human vaginal isolate of Lactobacillus crispatus presently undergoing phase II clinical trials to examine its safety and efficacy in preventing ..
- Effect of Lactobacillus on genital HIV-1 RNA and DNA shedding in womenJane E Hitti; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that hydrogen peroxide-producing Lactobacillus (L. crispatus and L...
- Lactobacilli as a source of natural microbicides against HIV-1RUTH INGRID CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Lactobacillus species are the predominant commensal bacteria found in genital tract secretions of healthy women...
- IMpact of PRObiotics for reducing infections in VEterans: The IMPROVE StudyNasia Safdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, Madison, WI will evaluate the use of a biotherapeutic agent, Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001, to reduce colonization by antimicrobial-resistant bacteria and thereby prevent serious ..
- Safety and Effect of L. reuteri on Biomarkers of Inflammation in Healthy InfantsJon Marc Rhoads; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, our Primary Aim is to demonstrate (in a two-year trial) if Lactobacillus reuteri is safe in healthy newborns with colic (n=45), at 3 different doses: 5 x 106, 5 x 107, and 5 x 108 c.f...
- Probiotic Yogurt for the Treatment of Minimal Hepatic EncephalopathyJasmohan S Bajaj; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal intends to define Lactobacillus GG (LGG) as a biologically-based alternative therapy for MHE with special focus on metabolic and stool ..
- Vitamin D and the prevalence, incidence, and persistence of bacterial vaginosisAbigail Norris Turner; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a vaginal condition that develops when the concentration of healthy Lactobacillus species in the vagina declines and is replaced by other (largely anaerobic) bacterial species...
- Novel multivalent vaccine for anthrax and botulinumMansour Mohamadzadeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..A new generation of mucosal vaccines is being developed using probiotic Lactobacillus (L.) strains expressing anthrax-protective antigen (PA) fusion protein...
- Microbiome as Therapeutic Target in Alcoholic HepatitisBERND G SCHNABL; Fiscal Year: 2013..qualitative changes are characterized by a profound suppression of commensal probiotic bacteria including Lactobacillus. Pathway analysis revealed that genes involved in fatty acid biosynthesis are underrepresented in the ..
- Estrogenic Modulation of Genitourinary Epithelial-Probiotic Cross-TalkMICHAEL HARRISON HSIEH; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, commensal Lactobacillus biofilms may prime genitourinary epithelial cells for anti-pathogenic responses by regulating genes which ..
- VDAART FLORA ANCILLARY STUDYDiane R Gold; Fiscal Year: 2013..of maternal vitamin D during pregnancy will increase numbers of total and specific anaerobes (B fragilis, and Lactobacillus) in the maternal and child intestinal flora;(2) Increased numbers of anaerobes in the maternal intestinal ..
- Development of Bacterial Therapeutics Targeting Bacterial Vaginosis-Associated BiQiang Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..vaginosis (BV)-associated biofilm for the prevention and treatment of recurrent BV using a novel strain of Lactobacillus jensenii with a disrupted pox1 gene in the chromosome that exhibits highly potent activity against a ..
- Relationship between vaginal micobiota and T. vaginalis acquisitionOLAMIDE DAPHNA JARRETT; Fiscal Year: 2013..vaginalis and vaginal flora by evaluating: 1) the change in total vaginal Lactobacillus spp concentration and total vaginal bacterial load after T...
- Probiotics to Improve Outcomes of Clostridium difficileNasia Safdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Madison, WI to evaluate the use of a biotherapeutic agent, Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001, as an adjunct to antibiotic treatment to reduce the duration of diarrhea in hospitalized ..
- Mechanisms by which Human Milk Oligosaccharides Protect Against RotavirusSHARON MARIE DONOVAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Second, we hypothesize that HMO will promote the growth of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, leading to fermentation of oligosaccharides and enhanced mucosal resistance to RV ..
- Nature inspired treatments for persistent C. difficile infectionsJulian G Hurdle; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. probiotics), including Lactobacillus spp., to suppress gut pathogens such as C...
- Defining the Role of WxL Proteins in Enterococcus faeciumJESSICA RHEA GALLOWAY-PENA; Fiscal Year: 2013..have been implicated as important in peritonitis infections caused by Enterococcus faecalis and aggregation in Lactobacillus coryniformis. My preliminary data have shown that the WxL proteins of E...
- EFFECT OF COLOSTRUM ON GUT MATURATION AND HOST DEFENSEW Allan Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013..a representative breast milk oligosaccharide, galacto-oligosaccharide and 3) the effect of Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, the predominantly colonizing bacteria in breast fed infants, media secretory products on the development of ..
- Ethanol metabolizing Lactobacillus for cancer preventionLin Tao; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ethanol metabolizing Lactobacillus for cancer prevention. Mortality from colorectal cancer (CRC) is second only to that from lung cancer in men and breast cancer in women...
- Recombinant Lactobacillus as an Oral Mucosal Vaccine Against HIV-1Gregg A Dean; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recently members of the lactic acid bacteria family have been explored as vaccine vectors. Lactobacillus gasseri is a common commensal of the human oral cavity and gastrointestinal tract and may be particularly ..
- Revealing the role of the cervico-vaginal microbiome in spontaneous preterm birthMichal A Elovitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that microbial communities in the CV space will be stably composed of Lactobacillus spp. throughout pregnancy in women who are destined to have a term delivery...
- Probiotics: Potential Therapeutic Roles in DiarrheaPradeep K Dudeja; Fiscal Year: 2013..during our previous funding cycle provided pioneering in vitro and in vivo evidence for a potential probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus (LA) based approach for the amelioration of diarrhea...
- Potential Role of IL-1B Therapies for Treatment of Vasculitis of Kawasaki DiseaseMoshe Arditi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The pathogenesis and molecular mechanisms are still unclear. The injection of Lactobacillus casei cell wall extract (LCCWE) to C57BL/6 mice causes a focal coronary arteritis that histopathologically ..
- Modulation of NF-kB Signaling by ImmunoprobioticsJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2011..1. Generate insertional mutants of immunoprobiotic Lactobacillus reuteri and identify key bacterial genes that regulate factors affecting NF-?B and MAP kinase signaling ..
- Probiotics in Pediatric Diarrhea in Peru_SupplementRichard A Oberhelman; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to evaluate the relative efficacy of Lactobacillus GG (LGG) and Bifidobacterium bifidum (Bb), two promising probiotic agents, in a randomized double-blinded ..
- The Role of the Microbiome in the Development/Prevention of Food AllergiesGary B Huffnagle; Fiscal Year: 2011..and lamina propria of microbiota-disrupted mice following oral delivery of OVA;2) to determine the effect of a Lactobacillus probiotic, a prebiotic (scFOS) or the combination of the two on the cellular, humoral and cytokine responses ..
- Probiotics to Enhance Influenza Vaccine ImmunogenicityPatricia L Hibberd; Fiscal Year: 2013..In vitro studies and animal data show that probiotics, particularly Lactobacillus GG (LGG), have immunomodulatory properties...
- Effects of Probiotics in Patients with Cystic FibrosisPatricia L Hibberd; Fiscal Year: 2013..Probiotics, particularly Lactobacillus GG (LGG) are capable of killing various bacteria, including S aureus and P aeruginosa, in vitro, by a variety ..
- The Semen Enhancer of HIV Infection as a Novel Microbicide TargetStephen Dewhurst; Fiscal Year: 2012..will assess the toxicity and inflammatory effects of the most promising candidate molecules, using beneficial Lactobacillus strains and cervical explants...
- Probiotic Outcomes in Enteric Microflora (POEM) StudyMichael D Cabana; Fiscal Year: 2010..TIPS was designed to examine the effects of daily Lactobacillus casei supplementation in infants for 6 months on the development of early markers of asthma to age three;using ..
- Microbicide Loaded Nanocarriers for Topical Delivery in HIV/AIDS PreventionBI BOTTI CELESTIN YOUAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..NC, we will thoroughly characterize the developed NC physico-chemically, assess their safety by MTT and Lactobacillus toxicity assay, test their efficacy in vitro (with seminal plasma, human PBMC-based and cervical explants ..
- Oral Vaccine Platform for Yersinia pestisLloyd F Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will achieve this goal with the following aims: Specific Aim 1. Construct and characterize Lactobacillus spp. oral Y. pestis vaccine candidates...
- Gastrointestinal Colonization of Diarrheagenic Clostridium difficileGAYATRI PH D VEDANTAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will involve construction of a targeted CD colonization inhibitor, by engineering a probiotic bacterium (Lactobacillus acidophilus) to express the CD colonization protein SlpA...
- Impact of suppressive antimicrobial therapy on the vaginal microbiota and BVRAYMOND SCOTT MCCLELLAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interventions that promote vaginal health by increasing the prevalence and quantity of Lactobacillus species and reducing the prevalence and quantity of species associated with BV could have a substantial impact ..
- Innate Immunity and Mouse Model of Kawasaki DiseaseDanica Jenine Schulte; Fiscal Year: 2010..Injection of a cell wall extract derived from Lactobacillus casei;LCCWE, into mice causes coronary arteritis that is histopathologically similar to the arteritis seen in ..
- Prevention of neonatal infection in the Indian community setting using probioticsPinaki Panigrahi; Fiscal Year: 2011..Using a well-defined, commercially available supplement of Lactobacillus plantarum (FDA registered in the U.S...
- Use of Probiotic Conditioned Media to Protect Against Necrotizing EnterocolitisERIKA CLAUD; Fiscal Year: 2009..the hypothesis that conditioned media (CM) obtained by filtering the broth used to grow the probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus plantarum can decrease the incidence and severity of NEC by improving intestinal host defense mechanisms, ..
- Developing acid-activated antimicrobial peptides to control dental cariesMaxwell Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2009..together with a limited number of acid- producing (cariogenic) bacteria such as Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus species...
- IN SITU ANALYSIS OF HUMAN PLAQUE FORMATIONGreg Germaine; Fiscal Year: 1991..and, in some cases, serotype levels will be prepared against oral Streptococcus, Actinomyces, Veillonella, Lactobacillus, Neisseria, Hemophilus, Bacteroides, Fusobacterium, Capnocytophaga, Actinobacillus and Treponena...
- INTRAVAGINAL PRODUCTS EFFECT ON VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYDavid Eschenbach; Fiscal Year: 1999..Quantitative vaginal cultures will be performed for selected species, attachment of Lactobacillus and Escherichia coli to the subject's vaginal epithelial cells will be examined and colposcopic, cytologic and ..
- Role of Bacterial Vaginosis in Preterm DeliveryROBIN ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Concentrations of the normally dominant Lactobacillus decrease while other microflora increase (Prevotella, Peptostreptococcus, Gardnerella, Mobiluncus)...
- VSL for AsthmaAlessio Fasano; Fiscal Year: 2009..Probiotics (those microbes that produce only beneficial effects in the host gut), such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are reduced in the intestinal microbiota of atopic individuals and westernized populations...
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS IN UTIWalter Stamm; Fiscal Year: 2007..Project 1 will undertake a double-blind placebo-controlled trial to determine whether a Lactobacillus crispatis vaginal probiotic will reduce the incidence of recurrent UTIs in women...
- Probiotics for Infectious Diarrhea in Children in South IndiaHonorine Ward; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based on the established efficacy of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) for the treatment of a variety of diarrheal diseases and the documented modulation of ..
- ADVANCED EPR STUDIES OF B12 DEPENDENT ENZYMESGARY GERFEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..cycles of glutamate mutase from Clostridium cochlearium and ribonucleoside triphosphate reductase (RTPR) from Lactobacillus leichmannIi...
- Mechanisms of bacterial-induced colitis in HLA-B27 ratsLEVINUS DIELEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Lactobacillus casei GG (L.GG) can prevent the disease recurrence after treatment with antibiotics...
- Feasibility Study of Probiotics for Growth FalteringChristine Wanke; Fiscal Year: 2006..will determine the feasibility of conducting a randomized-double blinded controlled study of the probiotic Lactobacillus GG (LGG) given in yogurt to infants at the time of weaning as a culturally and economically appropriate ..