salmonella paratyphi a
Summary: A serotype of SALMONELLA ENTERICA that causes mild PARATYPHOID FEVER in humans.
Publications158 found, 100 shown here
- Emerging Salmonella Paratyphi A enteric fever and changing trends in antimicrobial resistance pattern of salmonella in ShimlaS Verma
Department of Microbiology, IGMC, Shimla 171 001, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 28:51-3. 2010..Paratyphi A. There was decrease in resistance to ampicillin, cotrimoxazole in 2004 and nalidixic acid beyond 2005 and increase in resistance to cefuroxime. We also documented a decrease in resistance to ciprofloxacin after 2005...
- Antibiogram, phage typing and biotyping of Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi A from Rourkela, OrissaUsha Das
Indian J Med Res 124:109-11. 2006
- Alternatives to ciprofloxacin use for enteric Fever, United kingdomE John Threlfall
Emerg Infect Dis 14:860-1. 2008
- Pseudogene accumulation in the evolutionary histories of Salmonella enterica serovars Paratyphi A and TyphiKathryn E Holt
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
BMC Genomics 10:36. 2009..The accumulation of pseudogenes is a key feature of these and other host-adapted pathogens, and overlapping pseudogene complements are evident in Paratyphi A and Typhi...
- The sensitivity of real-time PCR amplification targeting invasive Salmonella serovars in biological specimensTran Vu Thieu Nga
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
BMC Infect Dis 10:125. 2010..Invasive Salmonella serovars, which cause enteric fever, can be commonly cultured from the blood of infected patients. Yet, the isolation of invasive Salmonella serovars from blood is protracted and potentially insensitive...
- Vaccines against typhoid feverCarlos A Guzman
Vaccine Research Group, Division of Microbiology, GBF German Research Centre for Biotechnology, Mascheroder Weg 1, Braunschweig, Germany
Vaccine 24:3804-11. 2006..The advantages and disadvantages of the various approaches taken in the development of a vaccine against typhoid fever are discussed, along with the potential for future vaccine candidates...
- Identification of typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever cases at presentation in outpatient clinics in Jakarta, IndonesiaAlbert M Vollaard
Department of Infectious Diseases, C5 P, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:440-50. 2005..Paratyphoid fever (Salmonella paratyphi A) could not be distinguished clinically from typhoid fever...
- Multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar paratyphi A harbors IncHI1 plasmids similar to those found in serovar typhiKathryn E Holt
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
J Bacteriol 189:4257-64. 2007..Our data show that these serovar Typhi and Paratyphi A IncHI1 plasmids share highly conserved core DNA and have acquired similar mobile elements encoding antibiotic resistance genes in past decades...
- Emergence of Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi A as a major cause of enteric fever in Kathmandu, NepalChristopher W Woods
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:1063-7. 2006..In contrast, only 21 (36%) of the 58 S. Typhi isolates exhibited a common genotype, which is consistent with endemic disease from multiple sources...
- Efficacy trial of Vi polysaccharide vaccine against typhoid fever in south-western ChinaH H Yang
Guangxi Health and Anti epidemic Centre GHAEC, 80 Taoyuan Road, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
Bull World Health Organ 79:625-31. 2001..To test the efficacy of locally produced Vi vaccine over a time period of longer than one year...
- Optimization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for Salmonella Paratyphi A subtypingChunxia Chen
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 155 Changbai Road, Beijing, China
Foodborne Pathog Dis 9:325-30. 2012..restriction endonucleases and electrophoresis parameters were compared for the PFGE subtyping by using Salmonella Paratyphi A strain panels...
- Enteric fever in Mumbai--clinical profile, sensitivity patterns and response to antimicrobialsS Jog
Dept of Infectious Diseases, P D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Veer Savarkar Marg, Mahim, Mumbai 400016, India
J Assoc Physicians India 56:237-40. 2008..Our main aim was to study the clinical profile, haematological features of culture proven typhoid cases, the antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of the isolates and the time to defervescence with the treatment received...
- First report of Salmonella enterica serotype paratyphi A azithromycin resistance leading to treatment failureAoife Molloy
Department of Infectious Diseases, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 48:4655-7. 2010..Resistance to fluoroquinolones is common and leads to more frequent use of newer agents like azithromycin. We report the first case of azithromycin resistance and treatment failure in a patient with S. Paratyphi A infection...
- Etiological agents of bacteraemia and antibiotic susceptibility pattern in Kathmandu Model HospitalN M Amatya
Central Department of Microbiology, TU, Kathmandu, Nepal
JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 46:112-8. 2007..The number of isolate of Salmonella typhi, Salmonella paratyphi A and Escherichia coli were 78, 44 and one respectively...
- Comparison of genome degradation in Paratyphi A and Typhi, human-restricted serovars of Salmonella enterica that cause typhoidMichael McClelland
Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, 10835 Altman Row, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Nat Genet 36:1268-74. 2004..Loss of function also occurs by mutation in different genes in the same pathway (e.g., in chemotaxis and in the production of fimbriae)...
- Conjugate vaccines for enteric fever: proceedings of a meeting organized in New Delhi, India in 2009Audino Podda
Novartis Vaccines Institute for Global Health, 53100 Siena, Italy
J Infect Dev Ctries 4:404-11. 2010..The role of Salmonella Paratyphi A as a cause of enteric fever was discussed and consensus reached that a bivalent S. Typhi-S...
- Prospective evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test Typhidot for typhoid feverMary V Jesudason
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632004, India
Indian J Med Res 123:513-6. 2006..A simple, reliable and affordable rapid diagnostic test has been a long felt need of the clinicians. We therefore prospectively evaluated the sensitivity and specificity of Typhidot test...
- Phase 1 and phase 2 studies of Salmonella enterica serovar paratyphi A O-specific polysaccharide-tetanus toxoid conjugates in adults, teenagers, and 2- to 4-year-old children in VietnamE Y Konadu
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2720, USA
Infect Immun 68:1529-34. 2000..0001); a second injection did not elicit a booster response. Representative sera from all groups had bactericidal activity that could be adsorbed by S. enterica serovar Paratyphi A LPS...
- The burden and characteristics of enteric fever at a healthcare facility in a densely populated area of KathmanduAbhilasha Karkey
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Patan Academy of Health Sciences, Lagankhel, Kathmandu, Nepal
PLoS ONE 5:e13988. 2010..These findings are important for initiating a vaccination scheme and improvements in sanitation. We suggest any such intervention should be implemented throughout the LSMC area...
- Pan-genomic analysis provides insights into the genomic variation and evolution of Salmonella Paratyphi AWeili Liang
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, and National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e45346. 2012b>Salmonella Paratyphi A (S. Paratyphi A) is a highly adapted, human-specific pathogen that causes paratyphoid fever...
- Combined high-resolution genotyping and geospatial analysis reveals modes of endemic urban typhoid fever transmissionStephen Baker
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, 190 Ben Ham Tu, Quan 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Open Biol 1:110008. 2011Typhoid is a systemic infection caused by Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi A, human-restricted bacteria that are transmitted faeco-orally. Salmonella Typhi and S...
- Treatment of enteric fever in children on the basis of current trends of antimicrobial susceptibility of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi and paratyphi AV Manchanda
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Chacha Nehru Children Hospital, Geeta Colony, New Delhi 110 031, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:101-6. 2006....
- Enteric fever in Israeli travelers: a nationwide studyEyal Meltzer
The Infectious Disease Unit and the Center of Geographic Medicine and Tropical Diseases at the Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Travel Med 12:275-81. 2005..We compared the incidence and clinical and microbiologic findings in travelers returning with EF, according to pretravel vaccination status and vaccine type...
- Controlled evaluation of Bactec Peds Plus/F and Bactec lytic/10 anaerobic/F media for isolation of Salmonella enterica serovars typhi and paratyphi A from bloodMegan E Reller
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:245-6. 2009..The yields from AL and Peds Plus/F media were the same with equal volumes of blood, but recovery was faster from AL medium than Peds Plus/F medium (10.7 and 16.4 h, respectively) (P < 0.001)...
- Synthesis, characterization, and immunological properties in mice of conjugates composed of detoxified lipopolysaccharide of Salmonella paratyphi A bound to tetanus toxoid with emphasis on the role of O acetylsE Konadu
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 64:2709-15. 1996b>Salmonella paratyphi A, the second most common cause of enteric fever in Southeast Asia, is a habitant of and a pathogen for humans only...
- [Multilocus sequence typing and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis analysis of Salmonella Paratyphi A isolates from 2000 to 2008, China]Hui Han
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 102206, China
Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 44:810-4. 2010To analyze molecular and evolution characteristics of Salmonella Paratyphi A isolates from 2000 to 2008, China.
- Salmonella paratyphi A rates, AsiaR Leon Ochiai
International Vaccine Institute, Kwanak PO Box 14, Seoul, South Korea 151 600
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1764-6. 2005..Paratyphi A. We compared their incidences by using standardized methods from population-based studies in China, Indonesia, India, and Pakistan...
- Ty21a live oral typhoid vaccine and prevention of paratyphoid fever caused by Salmonella enterica Serovar Paratyphi BMyron M Levine
Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:S24-8. 2007..In the pooled analysis, Ty21a conferred significant protection against paratyphoid B fever (efficacy, 49%; 95% confidence interval, 8%-73%; P=.019)...
- Reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacin and gyra gene mutation in North Indian strains of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and serotype Paratyphi AK Renuka
Department of Microbiology, India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Microb Drug Resist 10:146-53. 2004..Hence, it can increase morbidity and mortality due to delay in appropriate antibiotic treatment...
- Recombinant SpaO and H1a as immunogens for protection of mice from lethal infection with Salmonella paratyphi A: implications for rational design of typhoid fever vaccinesPing Ruan
Division of Basic Medical Microbiology, State Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, Zhejiang, Hangzhou 310003, PR China
Vaccine 26:6639-44. 2008..However, in recent years a Salmonella paratyphi A strain that is naturally devoid of capsule has caused frequent outbreaks of typhoid fever in Southern ..
- Reactogenicity and immunogenicity of live attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar Paratyphi A enteric fever vaccine candidatesKenneth L Roland
Celldex Therapeutics, Inc, 119 Fourth Avenue, Needham, MA 02494, USA
Vaccine 28:3679-87. 2010..All DeltaphoPQ strains were immunogenic following a single oral dose. The in vitro profile coupled with the favorable reactogenicity and immunogenicity profiles render MGN10028 a suitable live attenuated Paratyphi A vaccine candidate...
- Molecular characterization of ciprofloxacin-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and Paratyphi A causing enteric fever in IndiaR Gaind
Department of Microbiology, Safdarjung Hospital and Assoc VMMC, New Delhi, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:1139-44. 2006..To define the genetic characteristics and resistance mechanisms of clinical isolates of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi (S. Typhi) and S. enterica serovar Paratyphi A (S. Paratyphi A) exhibiting high-level fluoroquinolones resistance...
- A sudden rise in occurrence of Salmonella paratyphi a infection in Rourkela orissaS S Bhattacharya
Indian J Med Microbiol 25:78-9. 2007
- Drug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype paratyphi A in IndiaD S Chandel
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Emerg Infect Dis 6:420-1. 2000..Paratyphi A abruptly increased in the New Delhi region. In the first 6 months of 1999, 32% of isolates were resistant to both chloramphenicol and cotrimoxazole and another 13% were resistant to more than two antibiotics...
- DNA sequence analysis of DNA gyrase and DNA topoisomerase IV quinolone resistance-determining regions of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and serovar Paratyphi AKenji Hirose
Department of Bacteriology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1 23 1, Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8640, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3249-52. 2002....
- Laboratory-based surveillance of paratyphoid fever in the United States: travel and antimicrobial resistanceSundeep K Gupta
Division of Foodborne, Bacterial, and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1656-63. 2008..However, the epidemiologic and laboratory characteristics of paratyphoid fever in the United States have never been studied...
- Multiplex PCR for differential diagnosis of emerging typhoidal pathogens directly from blood samplesA Ali
Health Biotechnology Division, National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering NIBGE, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Epidemiol Infect 137:102-7. 2009..Tests with several common pathogens confirmed the specificity of the assay. We conclude that the proposed multiplex PCR is rapid, sensitive and specific for the diagnosis of typhoidal pathogens directly from blood samples...
- High-resolution melting assay for the detection of gyrA mutations causing quinolone resistance in Salmonella enterica serovars Typhi and ParatyphiRobert Slinger
Division of Bacteriology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L1
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:455-8. 2007..The presence of gyrA mutations led to small but consistent changes in amplicon melting temperatures that allowed quinolone-resistant isolates to be differentiated from susceptible ones...
- PCR method to identify Salmonella enterica serovars Typhi, Paratyphi A, and Paratyphi B among Salmonella Isolates from the blood of patients with clinical enteric feverHaim Levy
Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1861-6. 2008..Blinded testing of 664 Malian and Chilean Salmonella blood isolates demonstrated 100% sensitivity and specificity...
- Fluoroquinolone-resistant Salmonella Paratyphi ATakuya Adachi
Emerg Infect Dis 11:172-4. 2005
- Salmonella enterica serovar Paratyphi A and S. enterica serovar Typhi cause indistinguishable clinical syndromes in Kathmandu, NepalAshish P Maskey
Patan Hospital, Lagankhel, Lalitpur, Bagmati, Kathmandu, Nepal
Clin Infect Dis 42:1247-53. 2006..enterica serovar Typhi. There are few data on which to base this assumption, little is known of the serovar's antibacterial susceptibilities, and there is no readily available tolerable vaccination...
- Genetic diversity of Salmonella enterica serovar Paratyphi A from different geographical regions in AsiaY L Goh
Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Appl Microbiol 92:1167-71. 2002Subtyping of Salmonella Paratyphi A isolates from India, Pakistan, Indonesia and Malaysia was carried out by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) to assess the extent of genetic diversity of these isolates from different endemic ..
- Salmonella Paratyphi A liver abscess--secondary infection of an amoebic liver abscess?A R Jeans
Department of Infection and Tropical Medicine, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Travel Med Infect Dis 5:144-6. 2007..We present an unusual case of Salmonella Paratyphi A liver abscess, where secondary bacterial infection of an amoebic liver abscess was suspected.
- The etiology of febrile illness in adults presenting to Patan hospital in Kathmandu, NepalDavid R Murdoch
Department of Pathology, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:670-5. 2004..Given the lack of reliable clinical predictors, the development of cheap and accurate diagnostic tests are likely to be of great clinical utility in this setting...
- Drug-resistant enteric fever in the UKE J Threlfall
Lancet 367:1576. 2006
- Kathmandu, Nepal: still an enteric fever capital of the worldAbhilasha Karkey
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Patan Hospital, Lagankhel, Lalitpur, Bagmati, Kathmandu, Nepal
J Infect Dev Ctries 2:461-5. 2008..Our findings highlight the requirement for better understanding of the disease within the city; in turn, this will aid development of a targeted control strategy...
- Molecular analysis of fluoroquinolone-resistant Salmonella Paratyphi A isolate, IndiaSatheesh Nair
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:489-91. 2006....
- Isolated high-level ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serotype Paratyphi AB N Harish
J Med Microbiol 53:819. 2004
- Re-emergence of Salmonella paratyphi A: a shift in immunity?V Padmapriya
Natl Med J India 16:47-8. 2003
- Further evaluation of a multiplex PCR for differentiation of Salmonella paratyphi A from other salmonellaeCindy Shuan Ju Teh
Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Jpn J Infect Dis 61:313-4. 2008..We believe that this multiplex PCR is a promising technique for the specific and sensitive detection of S. Paratyphi A in clinical, environmental, and food samples...
- Comparisons of predictors for typhoid and paratyphoid fever in Kolkata, IndiaDipika Sur
1National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, Kolkata, India
BMC Public Health 7:289. 2007..such as water improvement or vaccination campaigns are implemented for groups of individuals we were interested whether risk factors not only for the individual but for households, neighbourhoods and larger areas can be recognised?..
- A bimodal pattern of relatedness between the Salmonella Paratyphi A and Typhi genomes: convergence or divergence by homologous recombination?Xavier Didelot
Department of Statistics, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3SY, United Kingdom
Genome Res 17:61-8. 2007..We propose that recombination between Typhi and Paratyphi A has allowed the exchange of gene variants that are important for their adaptation to their common ecological niche, the human host...
- LightCycler gyrA mutation assay (GAMA) identifies heterogeneity in GyrA in Salmonella enterica serotypes Typhi and Paratyphi A with decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacinR A Walker
Health Protection Agency, Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, Central Public Health Laboratory, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HT, UK
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:622-5. 2003..No mutations in gyrA were identified in four Cp(L) strains of S. Typhi that were sensitive to nalidixic acid. The mechanism of decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin in these strains is under investigation...
- Vertical transmission of Salmonella paratyphi AR Raveendran
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pediatr 74:784-6. 2007..The role of blood culture in accurate diagnosis and treatment is also discussed...
- Mixed salmonella infection: case report and review of literatureSubhash C Arya
J Travel Med 14:356; author reply 356-7. 2007
- Enteric fever due to Salmonella typhi and paratyphi A a neglected and emerging problemHenry Wilde
Vaccine 25:5246-7. 2007
- Enteric fever perspective in India: emergence of high-level ciprofloxacin resistance and rising MIC to cephalosporinsMalini R Capoor
J Med Microbiol 56:1131-2. 2007
- Typhoid and paratyphoid fever: a 10-year retrospective study of 41 cases in a Parisian hospitalE Caumes
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Travel Med 8:293-7. 2001..criteria were the presence of signs compatible with enteric fever and isolation of Salmonella typhi or Salmonella paratyphi A, B, or C from blood or stool cultures or any other site...
- Comparison of blood, bone marrow aspirate, stool and urine cultures in the diagnosis of enteric feverK B Tanyigna
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Jos, P.M.B. 2084 Jos-Nigeria
Niger J Med 10:21-4. 2001..Malaria parasite microscopy should also be done because majority of the suspected enteric fevers may actually only be malaria fever in an environment like Nigeria which is endemic for the two diseases (malaria and typhoid fever)...
- Changing trends in drug resistance among typhoid salmonellae in Rawalpindi, PakistanT Butt
Microbiology Department, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
East Mediterr Health J 11:1038-44. 2005..typhi decreased dramatically from 80% to 14%, while in S. paratyphi A resistance increased from 14% to 44%. Susceptibility to the fluoroquinolones decreased in both. No resistance to third generation cephalosporins was detected...
- Re: typhoid fever vaccines: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trialsSubhash C Arya
Vaccine 26:291. 2008
- Mixed Salmonella infection: case report and review of the literatureNelun Perera
Department of Microbiology, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester, UK
J Travel Med 14:134-5. 2007..We present a case of enteric fever in which both Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi A were isolated from the blood of a patient traveling from India.
- Ciprofloxacin treatment failure in a case of typhoid fever caused by Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi A with reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacinTzonyo Dimitrov
Department of Medical Laboratories, Microbiology Section, Infectious Diseases Hospital, and Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13048, Kuwait
J Med Microbiol 56:277-9. 2007....
- Enteric fever: an Israeli perspectiveEyal Meltzer
Infectious Disease Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:736-41. 2007..Unfortunately, with the limited efficacy of the current typhoid vaccinations and the increase in multidrug-resistant strains, cases among travelers are expected to continue to increase and become ever challenging to treat...
- In vitro activity of azithromycin, newer quinolones and cephalosporins in ciprofloxacin-resistant Salmonella causing enteric feverMalini R Capoor
Department of Microbiology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Med Microbiol 56:1490-4. 2007..Typhi and S. Paratyphi was 24 mug ml(-1). Gatifloxacin demonstrated lower resistance (80.8 %) compared with the other quinolones (92-100 %) in S. Typhi. The rise in MIC levels of these antimicrobials is a matter for serious concern...
- Increasing prevalence of Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi-A in patients with enteric fever in a periurban slum setting of Kolkata, IndiaAnup Palit
Division of Microbiology, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases ICMR, Kolkata, India
Int J Environ Health Res 16:455-9. 2006..Future vaccination strategies should include bivalent vaccines with protection capacities against both ST as well as SPTA...
- Evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of the public health management of cases of infection due to Salmonella typhi/paratyphi in North East LondonH L Thomas
North East London Health Protection Unit, London, UK
Public Health 120:1188-93. 2006....
- Serodiagnosis of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and S. enterica serovars Paratyphi A, B and C human infectionsHenrik Chart
Laboratory of Enteric Pathogens, Department of Gastrointestinal Infections, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, UK
J Med Microbiol 56:1161-6. 2007..for the detection of human serum antibodies to the LPS and flagellar antigens of Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi A, B and C, and to the Vi capsular polysaccharide of S. Typhi and S. Paratyphi C...
- Experts call for surveillance of drug-resistant typhoid at a global levelKhabir Ahmad
Lancet 359:592. 2002
- Changing trends in the antibiograms of Salmonella isolates at a tertiary care hospital in HyderabadV Lakshmi
Department of Microbiology, Nizam s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad 500 082, Andhra Pradesh, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:45-8. 2006..paratyphi A showed a decline. With increasing resistance to ciprofloxacin and the possibility of re-emergence of sensitivity to chloramphenicol, the policy of empirical treatment of enteric fever needs to be rationalized...
- Mixed Salmonella infectionD Debdas
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:287. 2008
- [Typhoid and paratyphoid fever]Hiroko Sagara
Department of Infectious Diseases, Yokohama Citizen s Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 61:395-400. 2003
- Sensitivity pattern of Salmonella serotypes in Northern IndiaVikas Gautam
Department of Microbiology, PGIMS, Rohtak, India
Braz J Infect Dis 6:281-7. 2002..The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) was also determined for 60 isolates of S. typhi to various commonly used antimicrobial agents...
- [Diagnostic difficulties in febrile travellers returning from the tropics. Two cases of typhoid fever imported from India]Elzbieta Kacprzak
Katedra i Klinika Chorób Tropikalnych i Pasozytniczych AM, Poznaniu
Pol Merkur Lekarski 13:509-15. 2002..typhi from peripheral blood cultures. The effectiveness of treatment of choice with ciprofloxacin or ceftriaxone in a case of multidrug-resistant (MDR) strain of S. typhi was documented...
- Effect of socio-economic status, age and sex on antibody titre profile to Salmonella typhi/paratyphi in Ile-Ife, NigeriaS B Zailani
Niger J Med 13:383-7. 2004....
- Suboptimal clinical response to ciprofloxacin in patients with enteric fever due to Salmonella spp. with reduced fluoroquinolone susceptibility: a case seriesRobert Slinger
Division of Infectious Disease, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 4:36. 2004..Delayed treatment response to fluoroquinolones has been noted, especially in cases of enteric fever due to such strains. We reviewed the ciprofloxacin susceptibility and clinical outcome of our recent enteric fever cases...
- Screening method for Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and serovar Paratyphi A with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphismKenji Hirose
Department of Bacteriology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8640, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 47:161-5. 2003..enterica serovar Typhi and serovar Paratyphi A clinical isolates. This method successfully screened the gyrA mutations of S. enterica serovar Typhi and serovar Paratyphi A with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones...
- Current pattern of enteric fever: a prospective clinical and microbiological studyMadhoolika Verma
Department of Paediatrics, Holy Family Hospital, New Delhi
J Indian Med Assoc 105:582, 584, 586 passim. 2007..Among other drugs, sensitivity to imepenam-100%, azithromycin-49%, aztreonam-65%, amikacin-98%. Nalidixic acid resistance is very high ie, 88%...
- Significance of knowing baseline widal test titres in pediatric population in DelhiV L Malhotra
Lady Hardinge Medical College and Kalawati Saran Children s Hospital, New Delhi
J Commun Dis 36:70-1. 2004
- Current perspectives of enteric fever: a hospital-based study from IndiaMandeep Walia
Department of Pediatrics, V M Medical College and Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi, India
Ann Trop Paediatr 25:161-74. 2005..The last two decades have seen a change in the pattern of enteric fever with the emergence of multidrug-resistant strains (MDRS), particularly strains resistant to nalidixic acid...
- High level ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella enterica isolated from bloodR Raveendran
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi 110 060, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:50-3. 2008..Over the last few years, resistance to ciprofloxacin in Salmonella enterica has become a global concern. The present study was undertaken to find out the susceptibility pattern of Salmonella enterica isolates in our hospital...
- Antibiogram pattern and seasonality of Salmonella serotypes in a North Indian tertiary care hospitalS Mohanty
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Epidemiol Infect 134:961-6. 2006..A knowledge of the seasonal distribution and antibiotic resistance pattern of Salmonella in a particular geographical region is helpful in the delineation of appropriate control measures required for prevention of enteric fever...
- Short-course azithromycin for the treatment of uncomplicated typhoid fever in children and adolescentsRobert W Frenck
US Naval Medical Research Unit 3, Cairo, Egypt
Clin Infect Dis 38:951-7. 2004..No patient who received azithromycin had a relapse, compared with 6 patients who received ceftriaxone. A 5-day course of azithromycin was found to be an effective treatment for uncomplicated typhoid fever in children and adolescents...
- Decreased susceptibility to fluoroquinolones and gyrA gene mutation in the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi and Paratyphi A isolated in Katmandu, Nepal, in 2003Toshiro Shirakawa
International Center for Medical Research and Treatment, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 54:299-303. 2006..Typhi and S. Paratyphi A strains with decreased susceptibility to fluoroquinolones...
- Value of a single-tube widal test in diagnosis of typhoid fever in VietnamC M Parry
Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Unit, Cho Quan Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
J Clin Microbiol 37:2882-6. 1999..Test patients had suspected typhoid fever and a blood culture positive for Salmonella typhi (n= 1,400) or Salmonella paratyphi A (n = 45)...
- Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium RamA, intracellular oxidative stress response, and bacterial virulenceTahar van der Straaten
Department of Infectious Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 72:996-1003. 2004....
- Minimum inhibitory concentration of carbapenems and tigecycline against Salmonella sppMalini R Capoor
Department of Microbiology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Med Microbiol 58:337-41. 2009..growth of 90 % of the strains) of the carbapenems (imipenem and meropenem) for Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi A was 0.064 microg ml(-1). MIC(90) of faropenem was 0.25 microg ml(-1) for S. Typhi, S...
- The TUBEX test detects not only typhoid-specific antibodies but also soluble antigens and whole bacteriaFrankie C H Tam
Clinical Immunology Unit, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
J Med Microbiol 57:316-23. 2008..Expectedly, Salmonella Paratyphi A (7 strains), Salmonella Typhimurium (1 strain) and Escherichia coli (2 strains) were negative in the test...
- Enteric fever in south China: Guangxi provinceYang Jin
Guangxi Center for Disease Prevention and Control, Nanning 530028, Guangxi Province, China
J Infect Dev Ctries 2:283-8. 2008..This is of particular concern in the post Vi vaccine era due to the emergence and worldwide spread of multi-drug resistant S. Paratyphi A strains and the lack of a vaccine...
- Shelf life extension of minimally processed cabbage and cucumber through gamma irradiationAmal Badshah Khattak
Nuclear Institute for Food and Agriculture, Tarnab, Peshawar, Pakistan
J Food Prot 68:105-10. 2005..0-kGy irradiation. The D-values for Escherichia coli in cucumber and cabbage were 0.19 and 0.17 kGy, and those for Salmonella Paratyphi A were 0.25 and 0.29 kGy for cucumber and cabbage, respectively.
- Emerging trends in enteric fever in Nepal: 9124 cases confirmed by blood culture 1993-2003Ashish P Maskey
Patan Hospital, GPO Box 252, Kathmandu, Nepal
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:91-5. 2008..hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal to determine the changing burden of salmonella septicaemia, the proportion of Salmonella paratyphi A, and the emergence of drug-resistant organisms...
- Bone marrow culture vs. blood culture in FUOA Jha
Department of Pathology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 48:135-8. 2009..Bone marrow culture is considered superior to blood culture in evaluation of FUO. The aim of this study was to compare the usefulness of these two cultures...
- Conservative management of isolated splenic abscess in childrenSubhasis Roy Choudhury
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical, College and Kalawati Saran Children s Hospital, New Delhi 110001, India
J Pediatr Surg 45:372-5. 2010..Isolated splenic abscesses (SAs) are rare in children. We report a single-center experience with emphasis on their diagnosis, etiology, treatment, and outcome...
- Distribution trends of Salmonella serovars in India (2001-2005)Yashwant Kumar
National Salmonella and Escherichia Centre, Central Research Institute, Kasauli 173204, Himachal Pradesh, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:390-4. 2009..The most common serovars from humans were Salmonella Typhi (73%) and Salmonella Paratyphi A (24%) among typhoidal serovars, and Salmonella Worthington (28.2%) and Salmonella Typhimurium (22...
- Antibacterial effects of goat and chicken heart tissues against human pathogenic bacteriaM Sundaramoorthy
Department of Biotechnology, ARJ College of Engineering and Technology, Mannargudi, India
Indian J Exp Biol 48:407-14. 2010..The peptides of low molecular weight ( <30 kDa) were also separated from the acid extracted crude proteins of goat and chicken heart tissues by SDS-PAGE after staining with silver nitrate solution...
- Role of enteric fever in ileal perforations: an overstated problem in tropics?M R Capoor
Department of Microbiology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi 110 029, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:54-7. 2008..To determine the role of enteric fever in ileal perforations...
- Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance in typhoidal Salmonellae: a preliminary report from South IndiaV K Geetha
Department of Microbiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Gorimedu, Puducherry, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 32:31-4. 2014....
- Gatifloxacin versus ofloxacin for the treatment of uncomplicated enteric fever in Nepal: an open-label, randomized, controlled trialSamir Koirala
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Nepal, Patan Academy of Health Sciences, Patan Hospital, Patan, Nepal
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2523. 2013....
- Antimicrobial efficacy and phytochemical analysis of Indigofera trita LinnRaju Senthil Kumar
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Swamy Vivekanandha College of Pharmacy, Elayampalayam, Tiruchengode, Namakkal 637 205, Tamil Nadu, India
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 10:518-25. 2013..40 mm), S. epidermidis (14.20 mm), Salmonella paratyphi A (12.80 mm), Streptococcus mutans (12.20 mm), Escherichia coli, Proteus vulgaris, S...
- [Ofloxacin in the treatment of infection caused by Salmonella paratyphi A]K Takaki
Medical Center for Infectious Diseases, Kukuoka City
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 65:1361-4. 1991..No side effect and no changes of laboratory data were observed and no recurrence was observed clinically and bacteriologically for three months after his discharge...
- Cell-associated flagella enhance the protection conferred by mucosally-administered attenuated Salmonella Paratyphi A vaccinesOrit Gat
Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1373. 2011..Integral to our efforts to develop a S. Paratyphi A vaccine, we addressed the role of flagella as a potential protective antigen by comparing cell-associated flagella with exported flagellin subunits expressed by attenuated strains...
- CONJUGATE VACCINES DESIGNED TO PREVENT TYPHOID FEVERHA KHIEM; Fiscal Year: 2000..trial (Phase 3) Of Vi -rEPA (Vi- recombinant exoprotein A of Pseudomonas aeroginosa) and S para A-TT (Salmonella paratyphi A -tetanus toxoid) investigational vaccines developed by the NICHD, NIH, Vi and S...
- BACTERIAL LIVE VECTOR-BASED VACCINE AGAINST MALARIAMyron Levine; Fiscal Year: 2004..falciparum, and by these effects working in concert, we will ultimately be able to prevent disease completely in some subjects and to markedly ameliorate disease severity in others. ..
- Salmonella Gene Expression in Complex EnvironmentsMichael McClelland; Fiscal Year: 2004..As a class, these methods should be applicable to studying gene expression in any bacterial or eukaryotic microbial community. ..
- RECOMBINANT & LIVE ORAL SALMONELLA TYPHI HYBRID VACCINESMyron Levine; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..