Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria whose cells occur singly, in pairs or short chains, in V or Y configurations, or in clumps resembling letters of the Chinese alphabet. Its organisms are found in cheese and dairy products as well as on human skin and can occasionally cause soft tissue infections.
Publications208 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary supplementation with Lactobacillus- and Propionibacterium-based direct-fed microbials and prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 in beef feedlot cattle and on hides at harvestS M Younts-Dahl
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas 79409, USA
J Food Prot 67:889-93. 2004..microbials; (ii) HNP51: high dose of Lactohacillius acidophilus strain NP 51 (10(9) CFU per steer daily) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii (10(9) CFU per steer daily); (iii) HNP51+45: high dose of NP 51 (10(9) CFU per steer daily), ..
- Probiotics reduce the prevalence of oral candida in the elderly--a randomized controlled trialK Hatakka
Valio Ltd, R and D, PO Box 30, FIN 00039 Helsinki, Finland
J Dent Res 86:125-30. 2007..25, 95%CI 0.10-0.65, p = 0.004), and the risk of hyposalivation by 56% (OR = 0.44, 95%CI 0.19-1.01, p = 0.05). Thus, probiotic bacteria can be effective in controlling oral Candida and hyposalivation in the elderly...
- Effect of using propionic acid bacteria as an adjunct culture in yogurt productionF Y Ekinci
Suleyman Demirel University, Faculty of Architecture and Engineering, Food Engineering Department, 32200, Isparta, Turkey
J Dairy Sci 91:892-9. 2008..In this study, yogurt was produced by using the adjunct starter cultures Propionibacterium jensenii B1264 and Propionibacterium thoenii (jensenii) P126...
- Propionibacteria induce apoptosis of colorectal carcinoma cells via short-chain fatty acids acting on mitochondriaG Jan
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, UR 121, Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Cell Death Differ 9:179-88. 2002The genus Propionibacterium is composed of dairy and cutaneous bacteria which produce short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), mainly propionate and acetate, by fermentation. Here, we show that P...
- Persistence of probiotic strains in the gastrointestinal tract when administered as capsules, yoghurt, or cheeseMaija Saxelin
Valio Ltd, Research and Development, P O Box 30, FI 00039 Valio, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 144:293-300. 2010..faecal recovery during and after administration of a combination of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and LC705, Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii JS, and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp...
- Specific metabolic activity of ripening bacteria quantified by real-time reverse transcription PCR throughout Emmental cheese manufactureHélène Falentin
INRA, UMR 1253, Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, F 35000, Rennes, France
Int J Food Microbiol 144:10-9. 2010..activity and the stress level of the two species used as ripening cultures in Emmental cheese manufacture, Propionibacterium freudenreichii and Lactobacillus paracasei...
- Effects of bacterial direct-fed microbials on ruminal fermentation, blood variables, and the microbial populations of feedlot cattleG R Ghorbani
Research Center, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, AB
J Anim Sci 80:1977-85. 2002..Treatments were as follows: control, Propionibacterium P15 (P15), and Propionibacterium P15 and Enterococcus faecium EF212 (PE)...
- Genome sequence of a novel species, Propionibacterium humerusiiSusan M Butler-Wu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Bacteriol 193:3678. 2011As part of a larger project to sequence multiple clinical isolates of Propionibacterium acnes, we have produced a draft genome sequence of a novel Propionibacterium species that is closely related to, yet distinct (by sequence) from P...
- New insights into physiology and metabolism of Propionibacterium freudenreichiiAnne Thierry
INRA, UMR1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Œuf, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, 35000 Rennes, France
Int J Food Microbiol 149:19-27. 2011Dairy propionibacteria are Actinobacteria, mainly isolated from dairy environments. Propionibacterium freudenreichii has been used for a long time as a ripening culture in Swiss-type cheese manufacture, and is more and more considered ..
- Infective endocarditis due to Propionibacterium speciesM R Sohail
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:387-94. 2009b>Propionibacterium species rarely cause infective endocarditis. When identified in blood cultures, they may be inappropriately disregarded as skin flora contaminants...
- The complete genome of Propionibacterium freudenreichii CIRM-BIA1, a hardy actinobacterium with food and probiotic applicationsHélène Falentin
INRA, UMR 1253, Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, Rennes, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11748. 2010b>Propionibacterium freudenreichii is essential as a ripening culture in Swiss-type cheeses and is also considered for its probiotic use. This species exhibits slow growth, low nutritional requirements, and hardiness in many habitats...
- Increased induction of apoptosis by Propionibacterium freudenreichii TL133 in colonic mucosal crypts of human microbiota-associated rats treated with 1,2-dimethylhydrazineAnnaig Lan
INRA, Agrocampus Rennes, UMR1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, Rennes F 35000, France
Br J Nutr 100:1251-9. 2008b>Propionibacterium freudenreichii, a food-grade bacterium able to kill colon cancer cell lines in vitro by apoptosis, may exert an anticarcinogenic effect in vivo...
- Pilot study of association of bacteria on breast implants with capsular contractureJose L del Pozo
Division of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1333-7. 2009..034). Propionibacterium species, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and Corynebacterium species were the microorganisms isolated...
- Promising immunomodulatory effects of selected strains of dairy propionibacteria as evidenced in vitro and in vivoBenoit Foligne
Institut Pasteur de Lille, Lactic acid Bacteria and Mucosal Immunity, Center for Infection and Immunity of Lille, 1, rue du Pr Calmette, BP 245, F 59019 Lille, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:8259-64. 2010..Two selected strains of Propionibacterium freudenreichii showed a protective effect against two models of colitis in mice, suggesting a probiotic ..
- Effects of multispecies probiotic combination on helicobacter pylori infection in vitroE Myllyluoma
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biomedicine, P O Box 63, University of Helsinki BIOMEDICUM Helsinki, Helsinki FIN 00014, Finland
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:1472-82. 2008..pylori-infected Caco-2 cells were pretreated with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, Lactobacillus rhamnosus Lc705, Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii Js, Bifidobacterium breve Bb99, or all four organisms in combination...
- Construction and characterization of ack knock-out mutants of Propionibacterium acidipropionici for enhanced propionic acid fermentationSupaporn Suwannakham
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Ohio State University, 140 West 19th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 94:383-95. 2006b>Propionibacterium acidipropionici produces propionic acid from glucose with acetic acid, succinic acid, and CO2 as byproducts...
- Species of Propionibacterium and Propionibacterium acnes phylotypes associated with orthopedic implantsMarta Fernandez Sampedro
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 64:138-45. 2009b>Propionibacterium sp. is commonly isolated in association with orthopedic implants, either as a pathogen or a colonizer...
- Effects of increasing dose of live cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus (Strain NP 51) combined with a single dose of Propionibacterium freudenreichii (Strain NP 24) on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing beef steersJ T Vasconcelos
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
J Anim Sci 86:756-62. 2008..design, were conducted to evaluate the effects of feeding live cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus plus Propionibacterium freudenreichii on performance and carcass characteristics of feedlot cattle...
- Milk whey culture with Propionibacterium freudenreichii ET-3 is effective on the colitis induced by 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid in ratsMasayuki Uchida
Food Science Institute, Division of Research and Development, Meiji Dairies Corporation, Kanagawa, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 99:329-34. 2005..The above results show that milk whey culture may become a useful prebiotic for the therapy of inflammatory bowel disease and that propionic acid may be one of the active substances contained in milk whey culture...
- Milk fermented by Propionibacterium freudenreichii induces apoptosis of HGT-1 human gastric cancer cellsFabien J Cousin
INRA, Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Œuf, Rennes, France
PLoS ONE 7:e31892. 2012..Diet modulation may lower digestive cancer incidence. Among promising food components, dairy propionibacteria were shown to trigger apoptosis of human colon cancer cells, via the release of short-chain fatty acids acetate and propionate...
- Isolation and characterization of 14 additional genes specifying the anaerobic biosynthesis of cobalamin (vitamin B12) in Propionibacterium freudenreichii (P. shermanii)Charles A Roessner
Center for Biological NMR, Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3255, USA
Microbiology 148:1845-53. 2002..genes encoding enzymes involved in cobalamin (vitamin B12) production in the commercially important organism Propionibacterium freudenreichii (P...
- Effects of probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii JS supplementation on intestinal and systemic markers of inflammation in ApoE*3Leiden mice consuming a high-fat dietAnna Oksaharju
Wihuri Research Institute, Kalliolinnantie 4, 00140 Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 110:77-85. 2013..In the present study, we explored the effects of two probiotic bacteria, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (GG) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii spp...
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus LC705 together with Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp shermanii JS administered in capsules is ineffective in lowering serum lipidsKatja Hatakka
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, Nutrition, Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Am Coll Nutr 27:441-7. 2008..of this study was to examine the effect of the administration of Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain LC705 and Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp shermanii strain JS in capsules on serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels in mildly or ..
- Effect of Lactobacillus helveticus and Propionibacterium freudenrichii ssp. shermanii combinations on propensity for split defect in Swiss cheeseS R White
Western Dairy Center, Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Utah State University, Logan 84322 8700, USA
J Dairy Sci 86:719-27. 2003..A 2 x 2 x 2 factorial experiment was used to determine the effect of different Lactobacillus helveticus/Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii starter culture combinations on the occurrence of split defect in Swiss cheese...
- Efficient utilization of hemicellulose hydrolysate for propionic acid production using Propionibacterium acidipropioniciZhen Liu
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, People s Republic of China
Bioresour Technol 114:711-4. 2012..In this study, propionic acid production from glucose, xylose, or arabinose using Propionibacterium acidipropionici ATCC 4875 was investigated...
- Propionicin SM1, a bacteriocin from Propionibacterium jensenii DF1: isolation and characterization of the protein and its geneS Miescher
Laboratorium für Lebensmittelmikrobiologie, Institut für Lebensmittelwissenschaften, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule, ETH Zentrum, Zurich, Switzerland
Syst Appl Microbiol 23:174-84. 2000We purified a bacteriocin from the cell-free supernatant of Propionibacterium jensenii DF1 isolated from Swiss raw milk, and named it propionicin SM1. The heat-stable protein was strongly bactericidal against P. jensenii DSM20274...
- Batch- and continuous propionic acid production from glycerol using free and immobilized cells of Propionibacterium acidipropioniciTarek Dishisha
Department of Biotechnology, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 118:553-62. 2012Propionic acid production from glycerol was studied using Propionibacterium acidipropionici DSM 4900 cells immobilized on polyethylenimine-treated Poraver (PEI-Poraver) and Luffa (PEI-Luffa), respectively...
- Propionibacterium cyclohexanicum sp. nov., a new acid-tolerant omega-cyclohexyl fatty acid-containing propionibacterium isolated from spoiled orange juiceK Kusano
R and D Office, KIRIN Beverage Corporation, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Syst Bacteriol 47:825-31. 1997..level of homology is its level of homology with the representative of the classical propionibacteria, Propionibacterium freudenreichii (97.1%). Strain TA-12T is phenotypically similar to P...
- Endocarditis caused by Propionibacterium species: a report of three cases and a review of clinical features and diagnostic difficultiesJames J Clayton
Department of Microbiology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
J Med Microbiol 55:981-7. 2006b>Propionibacterium species are members of the normal flora of skin and the mouth but their pathogenic potential is often overlooked...
- Green and economical production of propionic acid by Propionibacterium freudenreichii CCTCC M207015 in plant fibrous-bed bioreactorXiaohai Feng
State Key Laboratory of Materials Oriented Chemical Engineering, Nanjing 210009, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:6141-6. 2011Propionic acid production by Propionibacterium freudenreichii from molasses and waste propionibacterium cells was studied in plant fibrous-bed bioreactor (PFB). With non-treated molasses as carbon source, 12.69 ± 0...
- Effect of direct-fed microbials on performance, diet digestibility, and rumen characteristics of Holstein dairy cowsM L Raeth-Knight
Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:1802-9. 2007..Under the conditions of these studies, supplementing midlactation cows with DFM products containing L. acidophilus and P. freudenreichii did not affect cow performance, diet digestibility, or rumen fermentation...
- Use of predictive modeling for Propionibacterium strain classificationOriane Matte-Tailliez
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Unité de Recherches Laitières et Génétique Appliquée, Collection CNRZ de bactéries lactiques et de bactéries propioniques, Jouy en Josas, France
Syst Appl Microbiol 25:386-95. 2002....
- Construction of an expression vector for propionibacteria and its use in production of 5-aminolevulinic acid by Propionibacterium freudenreichiiP Kiatpapan
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Yamada-oka, Suita, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:144-9. 2001Several promoters from Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii were isolated using a promoter probe vector, pCVE1, containing the Streptomyces cholesterol oxidase gene (choA) as a reporter gene...
- Effects of live cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus (strains NP45 and NP51) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii on performance, carcass, and intestinal characteristics, and Escherichia coli strain O157 shedding of finishing beef steersN A Elam
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock 79409 2141, USA
J Anim Sci 81:2686-98. 2003..8 kg) were used to determine the effects of Lactobacillus acidophilus (LA) plus Propionibacterium freudenreichii (PF) on performance, carcass, and intestinal characteristics; serum IgA concentrations; and ..
- Mass spectrometry proteomic analysis of stress adaptation reveals both common and distinct response pathways in Propionibacterium freudenreichiiPauline Leverrier
Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 65 rue de St Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Arch Microbiol 181:215-30. 2004..Stress tolerance and cross-protection in Propionibacterium freudenreichii were thus examined after exposure to heat, acid, or bile salts stresses...
- Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) analysis of Propionibacterium acnes isolates from radical prostatectomy specimensTim N Mak
Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Prostate 73:770-7. 2013..The pro-inflammatory anaerobe, Propionibacterium acnes, is ubiquitously found on human skin and is associated with the skin disease acne vulgaris...
- Propionic acid production in an in situ cell retention bioreactorV Goswami
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:676-80. 2001..situ cell retention using spin filters (pore size 5 microm and 10 microm) for propionic acid production by Propionibacterium acidipropionici...
- Conversion of L-leucine to isovaleric acid by Propionibacterium freudenreichii TL 34 and ITGP23Anne Thierry
Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, INRA, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:608-15. 2002..Our aim was to determine the ability of Propionibacterium freudenreichii, which is one of the main components of the secondary flora of Swiss cheese, to produce ..
- Batch fermentation model of propionic acid production by Propionibacterium acidipropionici in different carbon sourcesJefferson Coral
Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering Division, Federal University of Parana, 81531 970, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 151:333-41. 2008..In the present investigation, PA production by Propionibacterium acidipropionici ATCC 4965 was studied using a basal medium with sugarcane molasses (BMSM), glycerol or ..
- Enhanced propionic acid fermentation by Propionibacterium acidipropionici mutant obtained by adaptation in a fibrous-bed bioreactorSupaporn Suwannakham
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Ohio State University, 140 West 19th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 91:325-37. 2005..acidipropionici was thus attributed to both a high viable cell density maintained in the reactor and favorable mutations resulted from adaptation by cell immobilization in the FBB...
- Changes in protein synthesis during thermal adaptation of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermaniiRania Anastasiou
Laboratory of Dairy Research, Department of Food Science and Technology, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 118 55 Athens, Greece
Int J Food Microbiol 108:301-14. 2006..They were all found to belong to the Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii species...
- In vitro antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects of honokiol and magnolol against Propionibacterium spJunho Park
Biospectrum Life Science Institute, Doosan Building, 39 3 Sungbok dong, Yongin, 449 840 Kyunggi do, South Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 496:189-95. 2004..However, until now, their antibacterial activity against Propionibacterium sp. has not been reported...
- An in vitro study on bacterial growth interactions and intestinal epithelial cell adhesion characteristics of probiotic combinationsMahta Moussavi
The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Curr Microbiol 60:327-35. 2010..GG, Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 55730 and Bifidobacterium lactis Bb12) either alone or in combination with Propionibacterium jensenii 702 in a co-culture system and to determine their adhesion ability to human colon adenocarcinoma ..
- Propionimicrobium gen. nov., a new genus to accommodate Propionibacterium lymphophilum (Torrey 1916) Johnson and Cummins 1972, 1057AL as Propionimicrobium lymphophilum comb. novErko Stackebrandt
DSMZ Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH, Mascheroder Weg 1b, D 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:1925-7. 2002..of peptidoglycan, fatty acids and base composition of DNA, and supported by the phylogenetic position of the 165 rDNA sequence the species Propionibacterium lymphophilum was reclassified as Propionimicrobium lymphophilum comb. nov.
- Molecular and genetic characterization of propionicin F, a bacteriocin from Propionibacterium freudenreichiiDag Anders Brede
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Agricultural University of Norway, P O Box 5003, N 1432 As, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:7303-10. 2004..work describes the purification and characterization of propionicin F, the first bacteriocin isolated from Propionibacterium freudenreichii. The bacteriocin has a bactericidal activity and is only active against strains of P...
- Susceptibility and adaptive response to bile salts in Propionibacterium freudenreichii: physiological and proteomic analysisPauline Leverrier
Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 65 rue de St Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:3809-18. 2003..Susceptibility to bile salts and tolerance acquisition in the probiotic strain Propionibacterium freudenreichii SI41 were characterized...
- Enhancement of 1,4-dihydroxy-2-naphthoic acid production by Propionibacterium freudenreichii ET-3 fed-batch cultureKeisuke Furuichi
Food Technology Research Institute, Meiji Dairies Corporation, 540 Naruda, Odawara, Kanagawa 250 0862, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:3137-43. 2007The production of 1,4-dihydroxy-2-naphthoic acid (DHNA) was investigated using a fed-batch culture of Propionibacterium freudenreichii ET-3...
- Engineering Propionibacterium acidipropionici for enhanced propionic acid tolerance and fermentationAn Zhang
William G Lowrie Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Ohio State University, 140 West 19th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 104:766-73. 2009b>Propionibacterium acidipropionici, a Gram-positive, anaerobic bacterium, has been the most used species for propionic acid production from sugars...
- Production of branched-chain aroma compounds by Propionibacterium freudenreichii: links with the biosynthesis of membrane fatty acidsJ Dherbecourt
UMR1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, INRA, Agrocampus Rennes, Rennes, France
J Appl Microbiol 105:977-85. 2008..In Swiss cheese, the production of short BCFAs is mainly performed by Propionibacterium freudenreichii and is strain dependent...
- Probiotic intervention has strain-specific anti-inflammatory effects in healthy adultsRiina A Kekkonen
University of Helsinki, Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, PO Box 63, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
World J Gastroenterol 14:2029-36. 2008..To evaluate the effects of three potentially anti-inflammatory probiotic bacteria from three different genera on immune variables in healthy adults in a clinical setting based on previous in vitro characterization of cytokine responses...
- Propionibacterium jensenii produces the polyene pigment granadaene and has hemolytic properties similar to those of Streptococcus agalactiaeChristin Vanberg
Laboratory of Microbial Gene Technology and Food Microbiology, Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, N 1432 As, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5501-6. 2007The red polyene pigment granadaene was purified and identified from Propionibacterium jensenii...
- Transcarboxylase mRNA: a marker which evidences P. freudenreichii survival and metabolic activity during its transit in the human gutChristophe Hervé
Laboratoires Standa, UMR STLO, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Int J Food Microbiol 113:303-14. 2007..In addition, the development of efficient non-invasive methods which specifically monitor Propionibacterium freudenreichii concentration and activity within the human gut is required...
- The effects of Propionibacterium acidipropionici and Lactobacillus plantarum, applied at ensiling, on the fermentation and aerobic stability of low dry matter corn and sorghum silagesI Filya
Animal Science Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Uludag University, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 33:353-8. 2006The aim of this work was to study the effects of applying a strain of Propionibacterium acidipropionici, with or without Lactobacillus plantarum, on the fermentation and aerobic stability characteristics of low dry matter (DM) corn (Zea ..
- Comparative in vitro activities of retapamulin (SB-275833) against 141 clinical isolates of Propionibacterium spp., including 117 P. acnes isolatesEllie J C Goldstein
R M Alden Research Laboratory, 2021 Santa Monica Blvd Suite 740 E, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:379-81. 2006..method, we studied the in vitro activity of retapamulin (SB-275833) against 141 clinical isolates of Propionibacterium species, including seven multiresistant strains, and found retapamulin to be the most active agent among ..
- Propionibacterium spp. in prosthetic joint infections: a diagnostic challengeBjörn Zappe
Clinic of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kantonsspital, Liestal, Switzerland
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:1039-46. 2008b>Propionibacterium species are common inhabitants of the skin and usually non-pathogenic for humans. However, Propionibacterium spp...
- Transcarboxylase 5S structures: assembly and catalytic mechanism of a multienzyme complex subunitPamela R Hall
Department of Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
EMBO J 23:3621-31. 2004Transcarboxylase is a 1.2 million Dalton (Da) multienzyme complex from Propionibacterium shermanii that couples two carboxylation reactions, transferring CO(2)(-) from methylmalonyl-CoA to pyruvate to yield propionyl-CoA and oxaloacetate...
- The addition of Propionibacterium freudenreichii to Raclette cheese induces biochemical changes and enhances flavor developmentAnne Thierry
UMR 1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, INRA Agrocampus, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
J Agric Food Chem 53:4157-65. 2005Two mixtures of Propionibacterium freudenreichii commercial strains were tested as adjunct cultures in pasteurized milk Raclette cheese to investigate the ability of propionibacteria (PAB) to enhance flavor development...
- Aflatoxin B1 binding by a mixture of Lactobacillus and Propionibacterium: in vitro versus ex vivoS Gratz
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Mediteknia, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Food Prot 68:2470-4. 2005..Several probiotic bacteria are able to bind AFB1 in vitro, including Lactobacillus rhamnosus LC-705 and Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii JS...
- Biochemical and genetic characterization of the pathways for trehalose metabolism in Propionibacterium freudenreichii, and their role in stress responseFilipa S Cardoso
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa and Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica, Rua da Quinta Grande, 6, Apt 127, 2780 156 Oeiras, Portugal
Microbiology 153:270-80. 2007b>Propionibacterium freudenreichii accumulates high levels of trehalose, especially in response to stress...
- Characterization of thoeniicin 447, a bacteriocin isolated from Propionibacterium thoenii strain 447I R van der Merwe
Department of Microbiology, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch 7600, South Africa
Int J Food Microbiol 92:153-60. 2004..b>Propionibacterium thoenii 447 produced an antimicrobial peptide, thoeniicin 447, which acted bactericidal against ..
- Study of the effects of temperature, pH and yeast extract on growth and exopolysaccharides production by Propionibacterium acidi-propionici on milk microfiltrate using a response surface methodologyN Gorret
Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, Rennes, France
J Appl Microbiol 90:788-96. 2001To study the effects of temperature, pH and yeast extract (YE) concentration on growth and exopolysaccharide (EPS) production by Propionibacterium acidi-propionici DSM 4900 cultivated on milk microfiltrate.
- Changes in protein synthesis and morphology during acid adaptation of Propionibacterium freudenreichiiG Jan
Laboratoire de Recherches de Technologie Laitière, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 65 rue de St Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:2029-36. 2001..Acid stress adaptation in the probiotic SI41 strain of Propionibacterium freudenreichii was therefore investigated...
- Cloning, sequencing, and expression of the uroporphyrinogen III methyltransferase cobA gene of Propionibacterium freudenreichii (shermanii)I Sattler
Center for Biological NMR, Chemistry Department, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843
J Bacteriol 177:1564-9. 1995We cloned, sequenced, and overexpressed cobA, the gene encoding uroporphyrinogen III methyltransferase in Propionibacterium freudenreichii, and examined the catalytic properties of the enzyme...
- Correlation of the capsular phenotype in Propionibacterium freudenreichii with the level of expression of gtf, a unique polysaccharide synthase-encoding geneStéphanie Marie Deutsch
INRA, UMR1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, Rennes, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:2740-6. 2010..b>Propionibacterium freudenreichii is a Gram-positive food-grade bacterium with reported probiotic capabilities that is widely ..
- Capsular exopolysaccharide biosynthesis gene of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermaniiStéphanie Marie Deutsch
INRA, UMR1253, 35000 Rennes, France
Int J Food Microbiol 125:252-8. 2008..A polysaccharide synthase-encoding gene was identified in the genome of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii TL 34 (CIP 103027)...
- Identification of a secreted lipolytic esterase in Propionibacterium freudenreichii, a ripening process bacterium involved in Emmental cheese lipolysisJ Dherbecourt
INRA, UMR1253 Science et Technologie du Lait et de l Oeuf, F 35000 Rennes, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:1181-8. 2010..In Emmental cheese, the main part of lipolysis has been associated with the presence of Propionibacterium freudenreichii, a species used as a ripening culture...
- Enhancement of trehalose production in dairy propionibacteria through manipulation of environmental conditionsFilipa S Cardoso
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa and Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica, Rua da Quinta Grande, 6, Apartado 127, 2780 156 Oeiras, Portugal
Int J Food Microbiol 91:195-204. 2004We have shown that the ability to produce trehalose is widespread within the genus Propionibacterium. Eighteen strains isolated from dairy sources were screened for trehalose synthesis; the effect of environmental conditions on trehalose ..
- An antimicrobial peptide is produced by extracellular processing of a protein from Propionibacterium jenseniiTherese Faye
Department of Food Science, Agricultural University of Norway, As, Norway
J Bacteriol 184:3649-56. 2002..antimicrobial peptide (PAMP) and its inactive precursor were purified from the culture supernatant of Propionibacterium jensenii LMG 3032 and characterized at the molecular level...
- Effects of orally administered viable Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii JS on mouse lymphocyte proliferationP V Kirjavainen
Key Centre for Applied and Nutritional Toxicology, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 6:799-802. 1999..In this study we examined the effects of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii JS (PJS) on the proliferative activity of murine lymphocytes ex vivo...
- A mixed culture of Propionibacterium jensenii and Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei inhibits food spoilage yeastsSusanne Miescher Schwenninger
Laboratory of Food Biotechnology, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
Syst Appl Microbiol 27:229-37. 2004..tests with several antifungal lactobacilli led to the development of three protective cultures containing Propionibacterium jensenii SM11 and Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei strain SM20, SM29 or SM63...
- Amplified-fragment length polymorphism analysis of Propionibacterium isolates implicated in contamination of blood productsT Mohammadi
Sanquin Blood Bank North West Region, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 131:403-9. 2005b>Propionibacterium acnes is implicated in most cases of bacterial contamination of platelet concentrates (PCs). To determine the source of contamination, amplified-fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) analysis was applied...
- Acidic extracellular pH shifts colorectal cancer cell death from apoptosis to necrosis upon exposure to propionate and acetate, major end-products of the human probiotic propionibacteriaAnnaig Lan
UMR 1253 INRA Agrocampus, Science and Technologie du lait et de l oeuf, Rennes Cedex, France
Apoptosis 12:573-91. 2007The human probiotic Propionibacterium freudenreichii kills colorectal adenocarcinoma cells through apoptosis in vitro via its metabolites, the short chain fatty acids (SCFA), acetate and propionate...
- Survival and metabolic activity of selected strains of Propionibacterium freudenreichii in the gastrointestinal tract of human microbiota-associated ratsAnnaig Lan
INRA, Agrocampus Rennes, UMR1253, Science et Technologie du Lait et de I Oeuf, F 35000 Rennes, France
Br J Nutr 97:714-24. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate the survival and metabolic activity of Propionibacterium freudenreichii within the gastrointestinal tract of human microbiota-associated rats, and its influence on ..
- Shunt nephritis from Propionibacterium acnes in a solitary kidneyR A Balogun
Nephrology Division, Department of Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 38:E18. 2001..is Staphylococcus epidermidis, but less often, an organism generally regarded as nonpathogenic, such as Propionibacterium acnes, has been noted as the cause...
- A novel dairy product fermented with Propionibacterium freudenreichii improves the riboflavin status of deficient ratsJean Guy LeBlanc
Centro de Referencia para Lactobacilos, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas CERELA CONICET, Tucuman, Argentina
Nutrition 22:645-51. 2006..The present study in a rat bioassay assessed the response of administration of yogurt containing a riboflavin-producing strain of Propionibacterium freudenreichii on the riboflavin status of deficient rats.
- Production of Propionibacterium shermanii biomass and vitamin B12 on spent mediaN Gardner
Food Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Saint Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
J Appl Microbiol 99:1236-45. 2005..This study was designed to examine the possibility of using spent media previously used to grow LAB for the production of biomass and metabolites of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii.
- Filamentous phage active on the gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium freudenreichiiMarie Christine Chopin
INRA, Laboratoire de Genetique Microbienne, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 184:2030-3. 2002..Phage B5 infects Propionibacterium freudenreichii and has a genome consisting of 5,806 bases coding for 10 putative open reading frames...
- In silico exploration of the fructose-6-phosphate phosphorylation step in glycolysis: genomic evidence of the coexistence of an atypical ATP-dependent along with a PPi-dependent phosphofructokinase in Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermaniiGuillaume Meurice
INRA STLO, Rennes Cedex, France
In Silico Biol 4:517-28. 2004..the catalytic step of fructose-6-phosphate phosphorylation in glycolysis based on the raw genomic draft of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii (P. shermanii) ATCC9614 [Meurice et al., 2004]...
- Effects of anti-Helicobacter pylori treatment and probiotic supplementation on intestinal microbiotaE Myllyluoma
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland Foundation for Nutrition Research, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:66-72. 2007..rhamnosus LC705, Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp...
- Clinical studies on alleviating the symptoms of irritable bowel syndromeKajsa Kajander
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:576-80. 2006..In conclusion, we found a probiotic combination of LGG and three other strains to be effective in alleviating IBS symptoms...
- Quantitative measurement of tetrahydromenaquinone-9 in cheese fermented by propionibacteriaK Hojo
Food Science Institute, Meiji Dairies Corporation, 540 Naruda, Odawara, Kanagawa 250 0862, Japan
J Dairy Sci 90:4078-83. 2007..We presumed, based on these results, that Swiss Emmental and Norwegian Jarlsberg cheeses contain a meaningful amount of vitamin K because of their high MK-9 (4H) concentrations (200 to 650 ng/g)...
- In vitro assessment of the upper gastrointestinal tolerance of potential probiotic dairy propionibacteriaYang Huang
School of Applied Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Ourimbah, NSW 2258, Australia
Int J Food Microbiol 91:253-60. 2004....
- [Antimutagenic properties of bacteria: a review]L I Vorob'eva
Department of Microbiology, Moscow State University, Moscow, 119899 Russia
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 38:115-27. 2002..Possible mechanisms of various AMEs and possible practical applications of antimutagenic properties of bacteria are discussed...
- Protection mechanism of probiotic combination against human pathogens: in vitro adhesion to human intestinal mucusM Carmen Collado
Functional Foods Forum, University of Turku, Itäinen Pitkäkatu 4A, Turku, Finland
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:570-5. 2006..Such combinations should be assessed in clinical studies in subjects where the intestinal microbiota aberrancies have been identified...
- [A positive effect of Propionibacterium freudenreichii on the growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae during their cocultivation]I V Danilova
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 42:428-33. 2006The growth pattern of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii (P. shermanii; propionic acid bacteria, PABs) during cocultivation in liquid media depended on the ratio of the cells in the inoculum...
- Probiotics and prebiotic galacto-oligosaccharides in the prevention of allergic diseases: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialKaarina Kukkonen
Skin and Allergy Hospital, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:192-8. 2007..The increase in allergic diseases is attributed to a relative lack of microbial stimulation of the infantile gut immune system. Probiotics, live health-promoting microbes, might offer such stimulation...
- Development of new probiotics by strain combinations: is it possible to improve the adhesion to intestinal mucus?M C Collado
Functional Foods Forum, University of Turku, Itäinen Pitkäkatu 4A, 20520 Turku, Finland
J Dairy Sci 90:2710-6. 2007..rhamnosus LC705, Bifidobacterium breve 99, and Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii JS) to adhere alone or in different combinations to immobilized mucus...
- Fed-batch enhancement of jenseniin G, a bacteriocin produced by Propionibacterium thoenii (jensenii) P126F Y Ekinci
Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina 29634 0371, USA
Food Microbiol 23:325-30. 2006Jenseniin G is an antibotulinal bacteriocin (antimicrobial peptide) produced by the dairy culture, Propionibacterium thoenii (jensenii) P126...
- Effect of probiotics on vaccine antibody responses in infancy--a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind trialKaarina Kukkonen
Skin and Allergy Hospital, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 17:416-21. 2006..49) vs. 0.81 (0.56-1.39) IU/ml (p = 0.310), IgG titers were comparable. In conclusion, in allergy-prone infants probiotics seem not to impair antibody responses to diphtheria, tetanus, or Hib, but may improve response to Hib immunization...
- A probiotic mixture alleviates symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome patients: a controlled 6-month interventionK Kajander
Valio Ltd, Research Centre, Helsinki, Finland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:387-94. 2005..Irritable bowel syndrome is a gastrointestinal disorder of unknown aetiology. The effect of probiotics in this syndrome remains unclear...
- Bifidogenic growth stimulator for the treatment of active ulcerative colitis: a pilot studyAsuka Suzuki
Second Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Nutrition 22:76-81. 2006..Bifidogenic growth stimulator (BGS) is a prebiotic preparation produced by Propionibacterium freudenreichii isolated from Swiss cheese...
- Effect of probiotics on constipation, fecal azoreductase activity and fecal mucin content in the elderlyArthur C Ouwehand
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, Finland
Ann Nutr Metab 46:159-62. 2002..Constipation is a common problem in elderly subjects, probiotics have been suggested to improve intestinal motility and reduce fecal enzyme activity...
- Intestinal mucus alters the ability of probiotic bacteria to bind aflatoxin B1 in vitroS Gratz
Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Harjulantie 1, P O Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:6306-8. 2004..In this study, preincubation of two probiotic preparations with either AFB(1) or mucus reduced the subsequent surface binding of mucus and AFB(1), respectively, in a strain-dependent manner...
- Clarification of interactions among microorganisms and development of co-culture system for production of useful substancesMasayuki Taniguchi
Department of Materials Science and Technology, Niigata University, Ikarashi 2 8050, Niigata 950 2181, Japan
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 90:35-62. 2004..produced with a high productivity by our co-culture using a combination of Bifidobacterium and Propionibacterium. Kefiran production by Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens alone under the culture conditions, established by ..
- Fermentation of five sucrose isomers by human dental plaque bacteriaJ Matsuyama
Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Caries Res 37:410-5. 2003..We therefore conclude that, in human dental plaque, there are significant numbers of bacteria that are able to ferment sucrose isomers...
- Probiotics for the treatment or prevention of atopic dermatitis: a review of the evidence from randomized controlled trialsGregoria I Betsi
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
Am J Clin Dermatol 9:93-103. 2008..More RCTs need to be conducted to elucidate whether probiotics are useful for the treatment or prevention of AD...
- The effect of Propionibacterium acidipropionici, with or without Lactobacillus plantarum, on the fermentation and aerobic stability of wheat, sorghum and maize silagesI Filya
Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
J Appl Microbiol 97:818-26. 2004To determine the effect of Propionibacterium acidipropionici, alone or in combination with Lactobacillus plantarum, on the fermentation and aerobic stability of wheat, sorghum and maize silages.
- Diversity of L-leucine catabolism in various microorganisms involved in dairy fermentations, and identification of the rate-controlling step in the formation of the potent flavour component 3-methylbutanalB A Smit
Department of Flavour, Nutrition and Ingredients, NIZO Food Research, P O Box 20, 6710 BA Ede, The Netherlands
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 64:396-402. 2004..belonging to the genera Lactococcus, Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, Leuconostoc, Bifidobacterium, Propionibacterium, Brevibacterium, Corynebacterium and Arthrobacter, used in dairy fermentations such as cheese making, were ..
- Long-term safety and impact on infection rates of postnatal probiotic and prebiotic (synbiotic) treatment: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialKaarina Kukkonen
Department of Pediatrics, Skin and Allergy Hospital, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Meilahdentie 2, PO Box 160, 00029 HUCH Helsinki, Finland
Pediatrics 122:8-12. 2008..In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial, we studied the safety and long-term effects of feeding synbiotics to newborn infants...
- Comparative effect of direct-fed microbials on fecal shedding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella in naturally infected feedlot cattleEbot S Tabe
The Great Plains Institute of Food Safety, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 58105 5727, USA
J Food Prot 71:539-44. 2008..coli O157:H7 in naturally infected cattle but not Salmonella. The factors responsible for the observed difference in the effects of DFM on E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella warrants further investigation...
- Survey of bacterial proteins released in cheese: a proteomic approachValérie Gagnaire
INRA, Laboratoire de Recherche et de Technologie laitière, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Int J Food Microbiol 94:185-201. 2004..lactis and Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus and ripening bacteria such as Propionibacterium freudenreichii...
- Bacterial fermentation in skin microbiome as probiotics (Bfismp) against S. aureuChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Everyone carried Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- Characterization of the Lysogenic Pathway in P. acnes BacteriophagesLAURA JANE MARINELLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..this proposal it to enhance our understanding of acne, in particular the bacteriophages that infect and kill Propionibacterium acnes - a bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of the skin disease acne towards the development an ..
- Metagenomic study of the human skin microbiome associated with acneHuiying Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..In fact, antibiotic therapy targeting Propionibacterium acnes has been a mainstay treatment for more than 30 years...
- Antibiotics from nose and throat commensals that impact pathogen colonizationKATHERINE PAIGE LEMON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our recent work suggests that in the nostrils, commensal Actinobacteria of the genera Corynebacterium and Propionibacterium inhibit colonization by S. aureus...
- Deriving P. acnes Bacteriophages from Skin for Acne TherapyRobert L Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2012..proposal is to develop an effective phage-based antimicrobial therapy for the treatment of acne, targeting Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of the skin disease acne. We hypothesize that P...
- Population dynamics of P. acnes and their phages in the human skin microbiomeHuiying Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..human health upon its perturbation, we propose to study the population dynamics of a major skin commensal, Propionibacterium acnes, and its phages in pilosebaceous units (hair follicles)...
- EXERCISE AS A MEANS OF ENHANCING IMMUNITY IN THE AGEDJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2001..responsiveness to activating signals like interferon- gamma (IFN-gamma), lipopolysaccharide (LPS), and Propionibacterium acnes (p...
- CHRONIC ENDOPHTHALMITIS COMPLICATING CATARACT SURGERYRonald Smith; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Propionibacterium acnes-related chronic inflammation after cataract extraction and intraocular lens implantation is emerging as a significant clinical problem in this country...
- SUBUNITS AND QUATERNARY STRUCTURE OF TRANSCARBOXYLASEDavid Samols; Fiscal Year: 1992Transcarboxylase is a biotin-containing enzymes from the bacterium, Propionibacterium shermanii. It is but one of many biotin enzymes which are widespread in organisms...
- GRANULYSIN: ANTIMICROBIAL/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ROLE IN ACNERobert Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The increase in antibiotic-resistant strains of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne, has hastened research for development of ..
- Pathogen Specific Immunity in SarcoidosisSTEPHAN SCHWANDER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Sarcoidosis has been associated with a variety of infectious agents, none of which can be cultured. Propionibacterium acne (P. acne) and M...
- 5-Naphthoylsalicylanilides as improved anti-acne agentsJoseph Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2004..The advantages include: 1) a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity, with excellent activity against Propionibacterium acnes, as well as other secondary dermal pathogens such as diphtheroids, Staphylococcus aureus, and other ..
- 5-Naphthoylsalicylanilides as improved anti-acne agentsRichard Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..These include: 1) a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity, with exceptional activity against Propionibacterium acnes (a significant factor in the progression of acne) as well as other dermal pathogens such as ..
- Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Acne VulgarisJenny Kim; Fiscal Year: 2006..In inflammatory acne, Propionibacterium acnes plays a key role in eliciting host inflammatory response that is thought to be important for the ..
- Secretomes captured in vivo via ultrafiltration probesChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that using CUF probes/Mass spectrometry will be a powerful tool which can be applied to other animal models and other human diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Host Cell Killing by EPEC: Central Role in PathogenesisJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..coli (RDEC-1) and rabbit EPEC (REPEC). ..
- Oral microbial associations in HIV+subjectsBRUCE PASTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed studies may provide insight for the identity of putative pathogens in comparable periodontal infections in HIV negative individuals. ..
- Gene Discovery for Pneumococcal Otitis MediaMelinda Pettigrew; Fiscal Year: 2005..Discovery of additional factors involved in streptococcal OM will facilitate the development of new strategies for the control and prevention of this important disease. ..
- B FORSYTHUS PROTEASE AND SIALIDASE--GENES AND SUBSTRATESMARK MAIDEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding these mechanisms will be vital for developing improved preventative and therapeutic treatments for periodontal disease. ..
- Macrophage Targeted Photodynamic TherapyMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Immunological Secretomes of the Early Anthrax InfectionChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This protein will thus serve as a positive control to evaluate novel antigens identified in the proposed studies. ..
- Molecular epidemiologic identification of pneumococcal tissue specific genesMELINDA MARY PETTIGREW; Fiscal Year: 2010..A greater understanding of the genetic factors that influence the virulence potential of pneumococcal clones is critical to our ability to develop effective methods to control, prevent, and treat these important infections. ..
- Acne Vaccines Targeting a Surface Sialidase and a Secreted CAMP Factor ToxinChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- Biologic Basis of Refractory Periodontal DiseaseBRUCE PASTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Eliminating refractory disease would have an enormous impact on the total cost of delivering periodontal therapy. ..
- Anthrax vaccination by targeting spore germinationChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..This unprecedented study will elicit the pathological mechanisms and vaccination capabilities of immune inhibitor A and camelysin expressed in Bacillus anthracis. ..
- Effect of Zinc in Enteropathogenic E. coli InfectionJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Enteropathogenic and Toxigenic E.coli InteractionsJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Ultraviolet-C Therapy for OnychomycosisMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Physical Activity, Aging and Immune FunctionJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the biobehavioral approach inherent in our aims will allow us to determine the complexity of the relationship between exercise and immune function. ..
- MECHANISM OF ENZYME MEDIATED ACTIVATION OF COENZYME B12Kenneth Brown; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the possibility that the active species of RTPR is actually a dimer will be investigated by determining the effect of protein concentration on the observed binding constants for AdoCbl and the allosteric effector dGTP. ..