Summary: A genus of gram-negative, anaerobic, rod-shaped bacteria. Its organisms are found in the human vagina, particularly in association with Gardnerella vaginalis in cases of bacterial vaginosis.
- Variation in microbiologic profiles among pregnant women with bacterial vaginosisLeonardo Pereira
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 193:746-51. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine if clinical findings and sociodemographic variables among bacterial vaginosis (BV)-positive pregnant women are associated with different microbiologic profiles...
- The effects of intravaginal clindamycin and metronidazole therapy on vaginal mobiluncus morphotypes in patients with bacterial vaginosisPaul Nyirjesy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:197-202. 2007The objective of this study was to compare the effects of treatments for bacterial vaginosis (BV) on vaginal Mobiluncus morphotypes.
- Association of Mobiluncus curtisii with recurrence of bacterial vaginosisMichelle C Meltzer
Department of Medicine University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:611-3. 2008
- In vitro inhibitory activity of human vaginal lactobacilli against pathogenic bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosis in Kenyan womenMartin N Matu
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Kenyatta University, P O Box 43844, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Anaerobe 16:210-5. 2010..23% (37/158), 28% (45/158) and 29% (46/158) inhibited the growth of Prevotella bivia, Gardnerella vaginalis and Mobiluncus spp. respectively. The lactobacilli produced supernatants with a pH range between 2.62 and 6...
- Classification of the genus Mobiluncus based on comparative partial 16S rRNA gene analysisA Tiveljung
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Int J Syst Bacteriol 46:332-6. 1996..16S rRNA gene sequences and the results of Southern blot analyses, we confirmed the division of the genus Mobiluncus into the species Mobiluncus curtisii and Mobiluncus mulieris. Division of M. curtisii into M. curtisii subsp...
- Evaluation of liquid culture media to support growth of Mobiluncus speciesA W Taylor-Robinson
School of Biology, University of Leeds, UK
J Med Microbiol 51:491-4. 2002b>Mobiluncus curtisii and M. mulieris are anaerobic, gram-negative, motile curved rods isolated commonly from the vagina of women with bacterial vaginosis...
- [Detection of Mobiluncus species by special primer amplification and 16S DNA sequence analysis]Liang He
Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 45:27-30. 2005..The close relationship between BV and Mobiluncus ssp. was recognized gradually...
- Evolving issues in understanding and treating bacterial vaginosisJeanne M Marrazzo
University of Washington, Department of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 325 Ninth Avenue, Mailbox 359931, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2:913-22. 2004..anaerobic Gram-positive cocci, Mobiluncus spp...
- [Incidence of Mobiluncus spp. from the patients with clinical bacterial vaginosis]H Mikamo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Gifu University
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:1090-2. 1992..b>Mobiluncus spp. were detected in 7 cases (35%)...
- Inguinal syndrome secondary to Prevotella bivia after accidental bite in orogenital sexMarc Sagristà
Department of Dermatology, Sexually Transmitted Infections Unit, Hospital del Mar, Parc de Salut Mar, Passeig Marítim 25 29 Barcelona 08003, Spain
Sex Transm Infect 88:250-1. 2012..flora by high concentrations of anaerobic microorganisms such as Prevotella spp., Mobiluncus spp., Gardnerella vaginalis and other uncultivated anaerobes.
- Identification of rhesus macaque genital microbiota by 16S pyrosequencing shows similarities to human bacterial vaginosis: implications for use as an animal model for HIV vaginal infectionGregory T Spear
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:193-200. 2010..Taxa frequently found included Peptoniphilus, Sneathia, Porphyromonas, Mobiluncus, Atopobacter, Dialister, Thioreductor, Prevotella, and Streptococcus, many of which are also frequently found in ..
- Diagnosis and management of bacterial vaginosis and other types of abnormal vaginal bacterial flora: a reviewGilbert Donders
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Regional Hospital H Hart Tienen, Belgium
Obstet Gynecol Surv 65:462-73. 2010..Peptostreptocci, Mobiluncus spp.) in the vagina leading to a replacement of lactobacilli and an increase in vaginal pH...
- Mobiluncus and clue cells as predictors of PID after first-trimester abortionP G Larsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 68:217-20. 1989Women attending our Department for a first-trimester abortion were examined for the presence of Mobiluncus species. C...
- Bacterial vaginosis: prevalence in an Italian population of asymptomatic pregnant women and diagnostic aspectsL Cristiano
Laboratorio di Analisi Chimico Cliniche e Microbiologiche, Ospedale P Fenaroli di Alzano Lombardo BG, Italy
Eur J Epidemiol 12:383-90. 1996..Further, three diagnostic methods are hypothesized for use in different settings...
- Humoral antibody to Mobiluncus curtisii, a potential serological marker for bacterial vaginosisJ R Schwebke
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294 0006, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 3:567-9. 1996While bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a polymicrobial syndrome, Mobiluncus spp. are the organisms most highly associated with this condition. It is possible that serum antibody to Mobiluncus spp. could be used as a serological marker for BV...
- The diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis and vaginal flora changesD Hellberg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Falun Hospital, Sweden
Arch Gynecol Obstet 265:11-5. 2001..performed, strongly suggests BV and a vaginal flora predominated by Gardnerella vaginalis, Mycoplasma hominis, Mobiluncus species and anaerobic species on one hand, and lack of lactobacilli on the other...
- Mycoplasma, bacterial vaginosis-associated bacteria BVAB3, race, and risk of preterm birth in a high-risk cohortBetsy Foxman
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI Electronic address
Am J Obstet Gynecol 210:226.e1-7. 2014..We sought to assess the relationship between preterm birth and selected vaginal bacterial taxa associated with preterm birth either directly or through their association with bacterial vaginosis (BV)...
- [Diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis]Slobodanka Djukic
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Srp Arh Celok Lek 141:560-4. 2013..and overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria and Gardnerella vaginalis, Atopobium vaginae, Mycoplasma hominis and Mobiluncus species...
- Biomedical applications of fermenticin HV6b isolated from Lactobacillus fermentum HV6b MTCC10770Baljinder Kaur
Department of Biotechnology, Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab 147002, India
Biomed Res Int 2013:168438. 2013..of a wide range of opportunistic pathogens of humans, for example, Bacteroides, Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus, Staphylococci, and Streptococci, associated with bacterial vaginosis in humans...
- [Recent bacteriologic data: from physiopathology to treatment]J C Lefevre
Laboratoire Central de Microbiologie, CHU Purpan, Toulouse
Rev Fr Gynecol Obstet 88:207-10. 1993..Gardnerella vaginalis, anaerobes (Bacteroides spp, Prevotella spp, Porphyromonas spp, Peptostreptococcus spp and Mobiluncus spp) and Mycoplasma hominis...
- [Microscopic examination of vaginal discharge specimens for Trichomonas vaginalis and other micro-organisms in 18-45 age group women]Recep Kesli
Konya Eğitim ve Araştirma Hastanesi, Tıbbi Mikrobiyoloji Laboratuvarı, Konya, Turkiye
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 36:182-4. 2012....
- Fast and effective paper based sensor for self-diagnosis of bacterial vaginosisYufen Zhang
Departement de Chimie, Universite de Montreal, CP6128 Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
Anal Chim Acta 800:87-94. 2013..The loading efficiency of BCIN was about 22.2%, and filtered BCIN solution could be reused for the next fabrication...
- Candida albicans and bacterial vaginosis can coexist on Pap smearsQingzhu Wei
Department of Pathology at The Third Affiliated Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Acta Cytol 56:515-9. 2012..The aim of our study was to study the relationship of blastospores and pseudohyphae in Papanicolaou (Pap) smears and Nugent scores for bacterial vaginosis (BV)...
- Bacterial communities of the coronal sulcus and distal urethra of adolescent malesDavid E Nelson
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36298. 2012..BV-associated taxa, including Atopobium, Megasphaera, Mobiluncus, Prevotella and Gemella, were detected in CS specimens from sexually experienced and inexperienced participants...
- [Possible role of enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis in the etiology of infectious vaginitis]Nina Polanco
Laboratorio de Patogenicidad Bacteriana, Catedra de Microbiologia, Escuela de Bioanalisis, Venezuela
Invest Clin 53:28-37. 2012..In 31.2% of symptomatic patients were identified: Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus, Candida albicans, Mycoplasma hominis, Ureaplasma urealyticum and Streptococcus agalactiae. B...
- Biochemical differentiation and comparison of Desulfovibrio species and other phenotypically similar generaYumi A Warren
R M Alden Research Lab, 2001 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 685W, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:4041-5. 2005..Capnocytophaga, Campylobacter, Bacteroides, Sutterella, Anaerobiospirillum, Dialister, Veillonella, and Mobiluncus) were included for comparison...
- Presence of high-grade intraepithelial lesions among women deprived of their liberty: a documental studyPaula Renata Amorim Lessa
Departamento de Enfermagem, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 20:354-61. 2012..findings, it was verified that the main cervical-vaginal colonization was by bacilli suggestive of Gardnerella/Mobiluncus (21.8%), followed by Trichomonas vaginalis (12%), and Candida sp (5.8%)...
- [Anaerobic bacteria isolated from patients with suspected anaerobic infections]Serpil Ercis
Hacettepe Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Mikrobiyoloji ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Ankara
Mikrobiyol Bul 39:447-54. 2005..16, Lactobacillus spp. 8, Actinomyces spp. 5, Eubacterium spp. 2, Bifidobacterium adolescentis 1, Mobiluncus mulieris 1, unidentified nonspore forming rods 7), 61 Gram positive cocci (anaerobic cocci 44, microaerophilic ..
- Gram stains: a resource for retrospective analysis of bacterial pathogens in clinical studiesUsha Srinivasan
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e42898. 2012..found a high correlation between Nugent scores based on bacterial morphology of Lactobacillus, Gardenerella and Mobiluncus and amounts of quantitative PCR estimated genus specific DNA (rrn copies) from Gram stained slides...
- [Bacterial vaginitis: general overview]Sayeste Demirezen
Hacettepe Universitesi Fen Fakültesi, Biyoloji Bolumu, Beytepe, Ankara
Mikrobiyol Bul 37:99-104. 2003..in vaginal flora of women with bacterial vaginitis as well as in healthy women, while anaerobic bacteria such as Mobiluncus and Prevotella are the causative agents for bacterial vaginosis...
- [Frequency, diagnostic criteria and consequences of bacterial vaginosis in pregnant women]Małgorzata Romanik
Katedra i Zakład Mikrobiologii Slaskiej Akademii Medycznej w Katowicach
Przegl Epidemiol 58:547-53. 2004..discharge based on changes in a vaginal ecosystem (decreasing number of Lactobacillus and increasing number of Mobiluncus spp., Gardnerella vaginalis, Prevotella spp...
- Association between Trichomonas vaginalis and vaginal bacterial community composition among reproductive-age womenRebecca M Brotman
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Institute for Genome Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:807-12. 2012..and characterized by higher proportions of Atopobium, Prevotella, Parvimonas, Sneathia, Gardnerella, Mobiluncus, and other taxa...
- More than meets the eye: associations of vaginal bacteria with gram stain morphotypes using molecular phylogenetic analysisSujatha Srinivasan
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e78633. 2013..These Lactobacillus, Gardnerella, Bacteroides, and Mobiluncus morphotypes were originally linked to particular bacterial species through cultivation studies, but no studies ..
- The International Infections in Pregnancy (IIP) study: variations in the prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and distribution of morphotypes in vaginal smears among pregnant womenJorge E Tolosa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University for The Global Network for Perinatal and Reproductive Health, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:1198-204. 2006..The objective of the study was to determine the prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and the distribution of associated morphotypes among asymptomatic pregnant women in different countries...
- A case of Haemophilus aphrophilus and Mobiluncus mulieris hepatic abscessM Sherlock
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
J Infect 51:E19-22. 2005
- Vaginal microflora in postmenopausal women on hormone replacement therapySanjay Gupta
Institute of Cytology and Preventive Oncology, New Delhi
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 49:457-61. 2006..However, clinically relevant organisms like Candida, Gardnerella and Mobiluncus could be identified on Pap smears alone in >50% cases...
- Variation in vaginal immune parameters and microbial hydrolytic enzymes in bacterial vaginosis positive pregnant women with and without Mobiluncus speciesJennifer F Culhane
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:516-21. 2006..if levels of interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), IL-8, sialidase, prolidase and immunoglobulin A against Gardenerella vaginalis hemolysin (anti-Gvh IgA) in vaginal secretions differ between BV+ women with (M+) and without (M-) Mobiluncus spp.
- Quantitative survival of aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms in Port-A-Cul and Copan transport systemsKevin A Stoner
Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:2739-44. 2008..asaccharolyticus, Mycoplasma hominis, Prevotella bivia, Prevotella corporis, Porphyromonas asaccharolytica, Mobiluncus curtisii, Peptostreptococcus anaerobius, and Gardnerella vaginalis...
- Characteristics and pregnancy outcomes of pregnant women asymptomatic for bacterial vaginosisDeborah B Nelson
Department of Public Health College of Health Professions, Temple University, 1700 North Broad Street, Room 304F, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Matern Child Health J 12:216-22. 2008..For this study, 1916 pregnant women who were 12 weeks' gestation or less were enrolled. Interviewers facilitated vaginal swab collection for BV assessment, and completed the baseline questionnaire. BV was identified by Gram stain...
- Extragenital infection due to Mobiluncus mulieris. Case report and reviewJ Mayer
Department of Pathology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84132
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 20:163-5. 1994b>Mobiluncus species are uncommonly isolated from nongenital sites. We report a case of abdominal abscess with associated Mobiluncus mulieris bacteremia and review the literature on extragenital infections due to Mobiluncus species.
- [Evaluation of efficacy of ketoconazole 800 mg-clindamycin 100 mg tablets vaginal against ketoconazole 800 mg- clindamycin 100 mg vaginal capsules in candida vaginitis and vaginosis]Alfonso Martínez-García
Hospital General Dr Miguel Silva, SSA, Morelia, Mich
Ginecol Obstet Mex 79:75-85. 2011..pharmaceutical forms (presentations) influence treatment compliance and therefore the effectiveness. Here we present the results in the relief of vaginitis and vaginosis with two different dosage forms...
- Vaginal flora changes on Pap smears after insertion of levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine deviceGilbert G G Donders
Femicare vzw, Clinical Research for Women, 3300 Tienen, Belgium
Contraception 83:352-6. 2011..Its influence on the rate of vulvovaginal infections and flora disturbance is insufficiently known, but important for contraceptive advice in women, especially those who develop recurrent vaginosis or Candida vulvovaginitis...
- [Clinical and microbiological profile of women with bacterial vaginosis]Sonia Regina Ribeiro de Figueiredo Leite
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brasil
Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet 32:82-7. 2010....
- Microflora of the penile skin-lined neovagina of transsexual womenSteven Weyers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
BMC Microbiol 9:102. 2009..Secondary objectives were to describe possible correlations of this microflora with multiple patients' characteristics, such as sexual orientation, the incidence of vaginal irritation and malodorous vaginal discharge...
- Microbiological findings in subjects with asymptomatic oral lichen planus: a cross-sectional comparative studyMichael M Bornstein
Department of Oral Surgery and Stomatology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Periodontol 79:2347-55. 2008..The bacterial colonization of the oral mucosa was evaluated in patients with asymptomatic oral lichen planus (OLP) and compared to the microbiologic status in mucosally healthy subjects...
- Longitudinal trajectory of bacterial vaginosis during pregnancyThaddeus P Waters
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:431.e1-5. 2008..This study was undertaken to characterize the course of bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy and to discern the bacterial morphotypes responsible for infection...
- Molecular quantification of Gardnerella vaginalis and Atopobium vaginae loads to predict bacterial vaginosisJean Pierre Menard
Unite des Rickettsies, IFR 48, CNRS UMR 6020, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 47:33-43. 2008..Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a poorly detected public health problem that is associated with preterm delivery and for which no reliable diagnostic tool exists...
- The lower genital tract microbiota in relation to cytokine-, SLPI- and endotoxin levels: application of checkerboard DNA-DNA hybridization (CDH)Natalia Nikolaitchouk
Department of Clinical Bacteriology, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
APMIS 116:263-77. 2008..13 bacterial species (Bacteroides ureolyticus, Escherichia coli, Fusobacterium nucleatum, Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus curtisii ss curtisii, Prevotella bivia, Prevotella disiens, Prevotella melaninogenica, Atopobium vaginae, ..
- Mobiluncus curtisii bacteremiaJose Miguel Sahuquillo-Arce
Department of Microbiology, University Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Anaerobe 14:123-4. 2008b>Mobiluncus curtisii was isolated from the blood of a 35-year-old man with a medical history of ulcerative colitis who was admitted unconscious to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)...
- [The bacterial vaginosis--treatment problems]Małgorzata K Romanik
Z Katedry i Zakladu Mikrobiologii Lekarskiej Slaskiej Akademii Medycznej w Katowicach
Wiad Lek 60:64-7. 2007The changes in vaginal ecosystem (decreasing number of H2O2 producing Lactobacillus spp. and increasing number of Mobiluncus spp., Gardnerella vaginalis, Atopobium vaginae, Prevotella spp., Mycoplasma hominis, Peptostreptococcus spp...
- A preliminary survey of Atopobium vaginae in women attending the Dunedin gynaecology out-patients clinic: is the contribution of the hard-to-culture microbiota overlooked in gynaecological disorders?Jeremy P Burton
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:450-2. 2005..the gynaecology out-patient's clinic were tested for the presence of this micro-organism, Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus and Bacteroides species by polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based assays. The frequency of detection was 40%...
- Vaginal flora morphotypic profiles and assessment of bacterial vaginosis in women at risk for HIV infectionBeth C Tohill
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease and Public Health Prevention, Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 12:121-6. 2004..were based on dichotomizing the levels of Lactobacillus, Gardnerella, and curved, Gram-negative bacillus (Mobiluncus) morphotypes...
- Bacterial vaginosis, vaginal flora patterns and vaginal hygiene practices in patients presenting with vaginal discharge syndrome in The Gambia, West AfricaEdward Demba
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
BMC Infect Dis 5:12. 2005..We conducted a study aimed at determining the prevalence of BV and patterns of BV-associated vaginal micro-flora among women with vaginal discharge syndrome (VDS) in The Gambia, West Africa...
- Severe sepsis caused by Mobiluncus curtisii subsp. curtisii in a previously healthy female: case report and reviewD A Hill
Department of Medical Microbiology, Ninewell Hospital, Dundee, U K
J Infect 37:194-6. 1998We present the case of a 54-year-old female with life-threatening septicaemia due to Mobiluncus curtisii subsp. curtisii...
- Preterm birth: associations with genital and possibly oral microfloraG B Hill
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Ann Periodontol 3:222-32. 1998..vaginalis; anaerobic species primarily among Prevotella, Porphyromonas, Bacteroides, Peptostreptococcus, and Mobiluncus; Mycoplasma hominis; and Ureaplasma urealyticum become predominant in vaginal secretions...
- [Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis in an obstetric population of Barcelona]B Martinez de Tejada
Departamentos de Obstetricia y Ginecología, Magee Womens Research Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, USA
Med Clin (Barc) 110:201-4. 1998..To investigate the prevalence and risk factors of bacterial vaginosis (BV) in a pregnant population of Barcelona (Spain)...
- Comparative in-vitro and in-vivo activity of AM-1155 against anaerobic bacteriaN Kato
Institute of Anaerobic Bacteriology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 40:631-7. 1997..Clostridium perfringens and Mobiluncus spp. (MIC90s < or =0.39 mg/L)...
- Evaluation of the BBL Crystal Anaerobe identification systemJ J Cavallaro
Diagnostic Microbiology Section, Hospital Infections Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 35:3186-91. 1997..The system correctly identified all tested strains of Campylobacter, Desulfomonas, Desulfovibrio, Leptotrichia, Mobiluncus, Peptostreptococcus, Porphyromonas, Provetella, Propionibacterium, Tisierella, and Veillonella and 36 of 37 (97...
- Antigenic profiles for the differentiation of Mobiluncus curtisii and Mobiluncus mulieris by immunoblotting techniqueM Gatti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Bologna, Italy
New Microbiol 20:247-52. 1997The antigenic profile of 30 vaginal isolates of Mobiluncus strains (22 M. curtisii and 8 M. mulieris) was determined by immunoblotting technique using mouse immune ascitic fluids containing polyclonal antibodies against the type strains M...
- [Clinical analysis of bacterial vaginosis in 76 cases]X Yu
Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital University of Medical Science
Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 31:229-31. 1996..To study the clinical manifestation and treatment of bacterial vaginosis (BV)...
- The in vitro activity of trospectomycin against anaerobic bacteriaG Chisari
Institute of Microbiology, University of Catania, Italy
J Chemother 7:515-8. 1995..15 strains), Prevotella melaninogenica (6 strains), Porphyromonas asaccharolytica (7 strains), Mobiluncus spp...
- Broad-range PCR amplification and DNA sequence analysis reveals variable motifs in 16S rRNA genes of Mobiluncus speciesA Tiveljung
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
APMIS 103:755-63. 1995..on highly conserved regions of bacterial 16S ribosomal RNA genes, a technique was established for detection of Mobiluncus species by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and hybridization analysis...
- Effects of Cetyltrimethylammonium naproxenate on the adherence of Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus curtisii, and Lactobacillus acidophilus to vaginal epithelial cellsP Catalanotti
Istituto di Microbiologia, Cattedra di Microbiologia Clinica, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Seconda Universita degli Studi, Naples, Italy
Sex Transm Dis 21:338-44. 1994..A decreased concentration or total disappearance of Lactobacillus acidophilus in the vagina constitutes a frequent observation in bacterial vaginosis...
- [Value of the score for Gram strains in the diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis]E Nicand
Laboratoire de Biologie Clinique, Hopital d Instruction des armees BEGIN, Saint Mande, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 42:539-43. 1994..vaginalis, scored 0 to 4), (c)-curved Gram variable rods (Mobiluncus morphotypes, scored 0 to 2). The scoring system (0 to 10) was a weighted combination of these morphotypes: a+b+c...
- In-vitro comparison of roxithromycin and erythromycin against 900 anaerobic bacterial strainsL Dubreuil
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, Lille, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 20:13-9. 1987..In contrast, all isolates of Bacteroides, other than the Bact. fragilis group, and all Mobiluncus isolates were inhibited by 2 mg/l of roxithromycin or less...
- New developments in the etiology and pathogenesis of bacterial vaginosisC A Spiegel
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison 53791 9452
Adv Exp Med Biol 224:127-34. 1987..with infection have all been found as members of endogenous vaginal flora, with the possible exception of Mobiluncus species...
- Current taxonomy of medically important nonsporing anaerobesT Hofstad
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Gade Institute, University of Bergen, Norway
Rev Infect Dis 12:S122-6. 1990..A high degree of heterogeneity is apparently present among Peptostreptococcus species. Mobiluncus is a novel genus including gram-variable curved rods isolated from the human vagina...
- Treatment of bacterial vaginosis in women with vaginal bleeding complications or discharge and harboring MobiluncusP G Larsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Gynecol Obstet Invest 29:296-300. 1990..Treatment gave a cure rate of 76% versus 5% in the placebo group. Mobiluncus sp...
- Bacterial vaginosis: diagnostic and pathogenetic findings during topical clindamycin therapyC H Livengood
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710
Am J Obstet Gynecol 163:515-20. 1990..Vaginal pH greater than 4.5 was found immediately after curative therapy in 59.6% of patients. Mobiluncus spp. morphotypes were 99.0% specific and 52...
- Detection and identification of Mobiluncus species by direct filter hybridization with an oligonucleotide probe complementary to rRNAC Pahlson
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
APMIS 100:655-62. 1992A hybridization assay for direct detection and identification of Mobiluncus species has been developed and tested...
- Race/ethnicity, vaginal flora patterns, and pH during pregnancyR A Royce
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Sex Transm Dis 26:96-102. 1999..To investigate the relationship between bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy and black race/ethnicity...
- [Clinical, epidemiological and microbiological aspects of Mobiluncus sp. in bacterial vaginosis]A Menolascina
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Escuela de Bioanalisis, Universidad de Los Andes, Merida, Venezuela
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 17:219-22. 1999..the optimal isolation conditions, biochemical characterization, and preservation of species of the genus Mobiluncus, associated with bacterial vaginosis in patients attending the family planning clinic...
- Isolation of Mobiluncus species from the human vaginaM Gatti
Department of Microbiology, Medical Faculty, University of Bologna, Italy
Zentralbl Bakteriol 289:869-78. 2000We report the results of a study concerning the characteristics of 52 strains of Mobiluncus spp. isolated from 982 vaginal secretions from patients with suspected bacterial vaginosis...
- Mobiluncus species in gynaecological and obstetric infections: antimicrobial resistance and prevalence in a Turkish populationHrisi Bahar
Istanbul University, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, 34303 Cerrahpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 25:268-71. 2005The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Mobiluncus species isolated from specimens collected from Turkish women with gynaecological infections...
- Nucleic acid-based diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis and improved management using probiotic lactobacilliGregor Reid
Canadian Research and Development Centre for Probiotics, Lawson Health Research Institute, 268 Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 4V2
J Med Food 7:223-8. 2004..that BV remains common even among otherwise healthy women, but it is not caused solely by either Gardnerella or Mobiluncus. Use of a FemExam system (Cooper Surgical, Shelton, CT), based upon elevated pH and trimethylamine levels, to ..
- Analysis of the prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and Chlamydia trachomatis infection in 6083 pregnant women at a hospital in Otaru, JapanSatoshi Shimano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tonan Hospital, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 30:230-6. 2004..trachomatis) infection and Mobiluncus spp...
- Transfer of members of the genus Falcivibrio to the genus Mobiluncus, and emended description of the genus MobiluncusLesley Hoyles
Food Microbial Sciences Unit, School of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights Campus, Reading, Berkshire, UK
Syst Appl Microbiol 27:72-83. 2004It has long been thought that the genera Mobiluncus and Falcivibrio contain the same organisms...
- Reliability of interpretation of gram-stained vaginal smears by Nugent's scoring system for diagnosis of bacterial vaginosisPinar Zarakolu
Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Ankara, Turkey
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 48:77-80. 2004..There was good agreement for the interpretation of Gram-stained vaginal smears by Nugent's scoring system for diagnosis of BV. These results indicate that it is a reliable method in diagnosis of BV at different settings...
- [The evaluation of prevalence and the impact of pathological microflora of the lower genital tract among women at early pregnancy on the risk of preterm delivery]Jarosław Kalinka
Klinika Perinatologii, Instytut Ginekologii i Połoznictwa, Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 55:277-84. 2003..6%) as compare to 10.7% in control group. Positive culture for Bacteroides and Mobiluncus was connected with nonstatistical rise in the risk of preterm delivery. No association between C...
- Activity of Novispirin G-10, a novel antimicrobial peptide against Chlamydia trachomatis and vaginosis-associated bacteriaB Yasin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1731, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 74:190-5. 2003..7-99.1%. At the same concentration of 100 micro g/ml, Novispirin G-10 rapidly killed >99% of Mobiluncus curtisii, Gardnerella vaginalis, and Prevotella bivia, in standard colony-forming unit (CFU) assays...
- Characterization of some actinomyces-like isolates from human clinical sources: description of Varibaculum cambriensis gen nov, sp novVal Hall
Anaerobe Reference Unit, Public Health Laboratory Service, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 41:640-4. 2003..phylogenetic line that is related to but distinct from Actinomyces, Actinobaculum, Arcanobacterium, and Mobiluncus: We propose, on the basis of phenotypic and phylogenetic evidence, that the unknown bacterium from human ..
- A multiplex polymerase chain reaction-based diagnostic method for bacterial vaginosisMana Obata-Yasuoka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Tsukuba, Japan
Obstet Gynecol 100:759-64. 2002..To develop a polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based diagnostic method for bacterial vaginosis using bacterial vaginosis-associated anaerobes...
- Bacterial vaginosis a "broad overview"A González Pedraza Avilés
C S C Dr José Castro Villagrana, Departamento de Medicina Familiar, Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, Instituto de Servicios de Salud del Distrito Federal, Mexico D F
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 41:25-34. 1999..such as Prevotella species, Peptostreptococcus species, Mycoplasma hominis, Ureaplasma urealyticum, and often Mobiluncus species...
- Inhibition of chemotaxis by organic acids from anaerobes may prevent a purulent response in bacterial vaginosisS Al-Mushrif
Division of Molecular and Genetic Medicine, University of Sheffield Medical School
J Med Microbiol 49:1023-30. 2000..in high concentrations in the vaginal fluid of women with BV and in culture supernates of Prevotella and Mobiluncus spp.; these acids impaired chemotaxis of MonoMac 6 cells in vitro...
- Prevalence of Mobiluncus spp among women with and without bacterial vaginosis as detected by polymerase chain reactionJ R Schwebke
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Sex Transm Dis 28:195-9. 2001b>Mobiluncus spp are highly associated with bacterial vaginosis, but their role in its pathogenesis is unknown...
- Vaginal microflora associated with bacterial vaginosis in nonpregnant women: reliability of sialidase detectionJ Smayevsky
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, Centro de Educación Médica e Investigaciones Clínicas Dr Norberto Quirno CEMIC, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 9:17-22. 2001....
- Bacterial vaginosis among a group of married Jordanian women: occurrence and laboratory diagnosisQ M Abu Shaqra
Medical Diagnostic Laboratories, Zarka, Jordan
Cytobios 105:35-43. 2001..Bacterial vaginosis among the women investigated was more prevalent than vaginitis caused by Trichomonas vaginalis or yeasts...
- Validity of wet-mount bacterial morphotype identification of vaginal fluid by phase-contrast microscopy for diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis in family practiceH Schmidt
Department of Health and Environment, Linkoping University, Sweden
APMIS 109:589-94. 2001..We propose greater routine use of the new BMS diagnosis for point-of-care testing in family practice as well as in research and in microbiology laboratories...
- Improving Gram-stained reproducible result by further adding clue cells in diagnosing bacterial vaginosisDuey Perng Lin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women and Children Municipal Hospital, 976 Jongwha 1st Road, Kaohsiung 804, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 18:164-70. 2002..2%, and positive predictive value of 87.1%. The results demonstrate further adding score of the clue cells can enhance the reproducible diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis, which is superior to the methods of Nugent et al. and Spiegel et al...
- [Colonization rates of Mobiluncus spp. in female lower genital tract and its relationship with bacterial vaginosis]T Kaneko
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Juntendo University, Tokyo
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:382-9. 1992To clarify the colonization rate of Mobiluncus spp...
- Can known risk factors explain racial differences in the occurrence of bacterial vaginosis?Roberta B Ness
University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, Magee Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:201-12. 2003..Black women are more likely to have bacterial vaginosis (BV) than are non-Hispanic white women. We examined whether this disparity can be explained by racial differences in known BV risk factors...
- DOUCHING, VAGINAL MICROBIOLOGY, AND PIDRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2003..Given the paucity of information regarding the relationship between douching and reproductive outcomes, the proposed study is imperative in order to direct future public health recommendations. ..
- Concordance Rates of Mobiluncus Among Sexual PartnersJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2004..with BV are detected by culture techniques in the healthy vagina in small numbers with the exception of Mobiluncus spp. which seems to be strongly associated with BV...
- The role of novel, uncultivable bacteria in incident PIDCATHERINE L contact HAGGERTY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Megasphaera phylotype 1, Megasphaera phylotype 2, BVAB-TM7, Mobiluncus curtisii, M. mulieris, Peptoniphilus sp. type 1 Peptoniphilus lacrimalis, and Prevotella G1), M...
- Role of Bacterial Vaginosis in Preterm DeliveryROBIN ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2003..dominant Lactobacillus decrease while other microflora increase (Prevotella, Peptostreptococcus, Gardnerella, Mobiluncus)...
- TOPICAL PROTEGRINS TO PREVENT STDS & HIV INFECTIONRobert Lehrer; Fiscal Year: 2003..trachomatis, kill C. albicans, and eliminate organisms associated with BV (e.g., Gardnerella, Mobiluncus, Prevotella)...
- Therapy and Prevention for Bacterial VaginosisJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2006..Further, some of the key organisms associated with BV such as Mobiluncus and mycoplasmas are resistant to the standard therapies...
- GBS: Epidemiologic Characterization for Gene DiscoveryBetsy Foxman; Fiscal Year: 2007..A better understanding of the molecular epidemiology and the identification of new GBS virulence genes will facilitate the discover of new therapies and prevention strategies for GBS disease. ..
- Oral and Vaginal Microbes, Human Genotype, and Preterm BirthDawn P Misra; Fiscal Year: 2010..For this proposal we have the great advantage of exploring these hypotheses using already collected specimens and data as part of completed studies of preterm birth. ..
- Inflammation and Ovarian CancerClareann Bunker; Fiscal Year: 2008..In particular, NSAID use may prove to be a potentially important chemopreventative for this often-fatal disease. ..
- ANTI-HIV-1 ACTIVITY OF MANNAN-BINDING LECTINGregory Spear; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Utilize inhibitors of glycosylation to enhance biological effects of MBL. Exarnine the interaction of MBL with anti-viral antibodies in mediating anti-viral effects. Deterrnine the interaction of HIV-1 with MBL in vivo. ..
- The Acquisition of Bacterial Vaginosis in LesbiansJeanne Marrazzo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lesbian couples provide a unique opportunity to conduct comparative studies of vaginal microbial ecology in sex partners, and to directly analyze determinants of transmission. ..
- VIOLENCE AND SPONTANEOUS ABORTION IN INNER CITY WOMENDeborah Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EFFECTIVENESS OF OUTPATIENT TREATMENT OF PIDRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2003..We gain great efficiency in the use of the extensive resources and excellent follow-up success within the PEACH cohort. ..