Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria whose organisms are nonmotile. Filaments that may be present in certain species are either straight or wavy and may have swollen or clubbed heads.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Actinomyces species with 12 antimicrobial agentsA J Smith
Infection Research Group, Glasgow Dental Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:407-9. 2005This study was conducted to assess the susceptibility of human clinical isolates of Actinomyces species to 12 antimicrobial agents.
- Actinomyces meyeri cutaneous actinomycosisMaría Daniela Hermida
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Nacional Profesor Alejandro Posadas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Dermatol 48:154-6. 2009b>Actinomyces meyeri cutaneous actinomycosis is a very rare disease. It often results from contiguous dissemination of an underlying focus...
- Bacterial interactions and successions during plaque developmentPaul E Kolenbrander
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Periodontol 2000 42:47-79. 2006
- Effects of silver diamine fluoride on dentine carious lesions induced by Streptococcus mutans and Actinomyces naeslundii biofilmsChun Hung Chu
The University of Hong Kong, China
Int J Paediatr Dent 22:2-10. 2012..AIM. To characterize the effects of SDF on dentine carious induced by Streptococcus mutans and Actinomyces naeslundii. DESIGN. Thirty-two artificially demineralized human dentine blocks were inoculated: 16 with S...
- Molecular characterization of subject-specific oral microflora during initial colonization of enamelPatricia I Diaz
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Building 30, Room 310, 30 Convent Dr, Bethesda, MD 20892 4350, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:2837-48. 2006..observed genera (comprising at least 5% of clone sequences in at least one of the six clone libraries) were Actinomyces, Gemella, Granulicatella, Neisseria, Prevotella, Rothia, and Veillonella...
- Actinomyces neuii: review of an unusual infectious agentAlexander von Graevenitz
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 32, 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Infection 39:97-100. 2011b>Actinomyces neuii, a species first described in 1994, has proven to be an exception in this genus on account of its aerobic growth, microscopic morphology (no branching), and the types and location of infections...
- Autovaccination of dairy cows to treat post partum metritis caused by Actinomyces pyogenesO Nolte
Hygiene Institut, Abt Hygiene and Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Vaccine 19:3146-53. 2001..We therefore conclude that administration of an autovaccine leads to the activation of immunologic effector mechanisms which contribute to recovery of the diseased animals...
- Protection offered by root-surface restorative materials against biofilm challengeH K Yip
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Room 1A23, Prince Philip Dental Hosptial, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Dent Res 86:431-5. 2007..A biofilm of Streptococcus mutans, Streptococcus sobrinus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and Actinomyces naeslundii was co-cultured for 21 days on 24 glass-ionomer cement, resin-modified glass-ionomer cement, or ..
- Structure of the sortase AcSrtC-1 from Actinomyces orisKarina Persson
Department of Odontology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 67:212-7. 2011The crystal structure of the sortase AcSrtC-1 from the oral microorganism Actinomyces oris has been determined to 2.4 Å resolution...
- Effects of glucose and fluoride on competition and metabolism within in vitro dental bacterial communities and biofilmsD J Bradshaw
CAMR, Salisbury, Wilts, Port Sunlight Laboratory, Bebington, Merseyside, UK
Caries Res 36:81-6. 2002..pH 4.9) (paired t test, p < 0.0001). The culture was predominated by V. dispar (70%) and Actinomyces naeslundii (13%), whereas S. mutans proportions were significantly lower (t test, p = 0...
- Spatial arrangements and associative behavior of species in an in vitro oral biofilm modelM Guggenheim
Institute for Oral Microbiology and General Immunology, Center for Dental and Oral Medicine and Maxillofacial Surgery, , , Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:1343-50. 2001The spatial arrangements and associative behavior of Actinomyces naeslundii, Veillonella dispar, Fusobacterium nucleatum, Streptococcus sobrinus, and Streptococcus oralis strains in an in vitro model of supragingival plaque were ..
- Host-derived pentapeptide affecting adhesion, proliferation, and local pH in biofilm communities composed of Streptococcus and Actinomyces speciesMirva Drobni
Department of Odontology Cariology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, and Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Infect Immun 74:6293-9. 2006Salivary proline-rich proteins (PRPs) attach commensal Actinomyces and Streptococcus species to teeth...
- Salivary Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 2 and Lactobacillus casei levels predict pregnancy outcomesAnanda P Dasanayake
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY 10010, USA
J Periodontol 76:171-7. 2005..Gravida's poor periodontal health is emerging as a modifiable independent risk factor for preterm delivery and low birth weight...
- Actinomyces odontolyticus bacteremiaLawrence A Cone
Eisenhower Medical Center, Rancho Mirage, California 92270, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1629-32. 2003We describe two immunosuppressed female patients with fever and Actinomyces odontolyticus bacteremia, a combination documented once previously in an immunocompetent male patient...
- Structural determinants of Actinomyces sortase SrtC2 required for membrane localization and assembly of type 2 fimbriae for interbacterial coaggregation and oral biofilm formationChenggang Wu
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Bacteriol 194:2531-9. 2012As a pioneer colonizer of the oral cavity, Actinomyces oris expresses proteinaceous pili (also called fimbriae) to mediate the following two key events in biofilm formation: adherence to saliva deposits on enamel and interbacterial ..
- Regulation of urease expression of Actinomyces naeslundii in biofilms in response to pH and carbohydrateY Liy
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:315-9. 2008..b>Actinomyces naeslundii is a ureolytic bacterium that is adapted to tolerate the rapid and dramatic fluctuations in nutrient ..
- Effectiveness of three root canal medicaments to eliminate Actinomyces israelii from infected dentinal tubules in vitroN J Basson
Oral and Dental Research Institute, School for Oral Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg
SADJ 56:499-501. 2001..to compare the effectiveness of two root canal medicaments and a chlorhexidine solution in disinfecting Actinomyces israelii-infected root canal walls and dentinal tubules in vitro...
- Actinomyces coleocanis sp. nov., from the vagina of a dogLesley Hoyles
School of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, UK
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:1201-3. 2002A hitherto undescribed Actinomyces-like bacterium was isolated from the vagina of a dog...
- IUDs and colonization or infection with ActinomycesCarolyn Westhoff
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Contraception 75:S48-50. 2007..Approximately 7% of women using an IUD may have a finding of Actinomyces-like organisms on a Pap test...
- The effects of polishing methods on surface morphology, roughness and bacterial colonisation of titanium abutmentsMichele E Barbour
Department of Oral and Dental Science, University of Bristol, Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol BS1 2LY, UK
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1439-47. 2007..Biofilms of Actinomyces naeslundii were more extensive on polished abutment surfaces...
- Intra-abdominal co-infection with Mycobacterium bovis and Actinomyces in an AIDS patient: the first reported case and reviewMark Richman
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Olive View UCLA Medical Center, 14445 Olive View Dr 2B182, Sylmar, CA 91342, USA
J Infect 55:e115-8. 2007The Mycobacterium tuberculous complex and Actinomyces can both cause indolent intra-abdominal infections that result in hard mass lesion(s), oftentimes fixed to underlying tissue and involving the right ileocecal fossa region...
- Regulation of urease gene of Actinomyces naeslundii in biofilms in response to environmental factorsYaling Liu
FEMS Microbiol Lett 278:157-63. 2008..of oral bacteria has a profound influence on oral biofilm pH homeostasis and oral microbial ecology, and Actinomyces naeslundii is an important ureolytic organism in the oral cavity...
- Transient acid-impairment of growth ability of oral Streptococcus, Actinomyces, and Lactobacillus: a possible ecological determinant in dental plaqueM Horiuchi
Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Oral Microbiol Immunol 24:319-24. 2009..We, therefore, investigated the effects of physiological acidification on representative caries-related bacteria...
- Two autonomous structural modules in the fimbrial shaft adhesin FimA mediate Actinomyces interactions with streptococci and host cells during oral biofilm developmentArunima Mishra
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Mol Microbiol 81:1205-20. 2011..modelling, we describe here the atomic structure of distinct adhesive moieties of FimA, the shaft fimbrillin of Actinomyces type 2 fimbriae, which uniquely mediates the receptor-dependent intercellular interactions between Actinomyces ..
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies for rapid identification of Actinomyces naeslundii in clinical samplesT Thurnheer
Institute of Oral Microbiology and General Immunology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 150:255-62. 1997..of this study was to generate highly specific serological reagents for the quantitative identification of Actinomyces naeslundii in clinical samples, in particular dental plaque...
- Cell surface structures of Actinomyces israeliiD Figdor
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University
Aust Dent J 42:125-8. 1997b>Actinomyces israelii is the most common cause of human actinomycosis, a chronic granulomatous infection. Periapical actinomycosis involving A...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: the role of actinomycesNimesh H Naik
Department of Medicine, Veterans Administration Western New York Healthcare System, University at Buffalo State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1729-32. 2009..Bisphosphonates may not be the primary cause. Actinomyces are an underrecognized agent in pathogenesis, and timely actinomycosis-specific treatment may improve outcome.
- In vitro Actinomyces israelii biofilm development on IUD copper surfacesMonica Carrillo
Laboratory of Industrial Microbiology and Biofilms, Engineering Institute, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Contraception 81:261-4. 2010..The predominant causative agent of human actinomycosis is Actinomyces israelii, which has been found on copper IUDs retrieved from patients.
- Characterization of the Actinomyces naeslundii ureolysis and its role in bacterial aciduricity and capacity to modulate pH homeostasisYaling Liu
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering Ministry of Education, Chengdu City, PR China
Microbiol Res 161:304-10. 2006..b>Actinomyces naeslundii is an important ureolytic organism in the oral cavity...
- Reclassification of Actinomyces humiferus (Gledhill and Casida) as Cellulomonas humilata nom. corrig., comb. novM D Collins
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Reading, UK
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 50:661-3. 2000The placement of Actinomyces humiferus within the genus Actinomyces has always been controversial. A humiferus differs from typical members of the genus both phenotypically and in possessing a relatively high DNA G + C content...
- Characterization of Actinomyces isolates from infected root canals of teeth: description of Actinomyces radicidentis sp. novM D Collins
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AP, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 38:3399-403. 2000Two strains of a previously undescribed Actinomyces-like bacterium were recovered in pure culture from infected root canals of teeth...
- Disseminated coinfection with Actinomyces graevenitzii and Mycobacterium tuberculosis: case report and review of the literatureAndreas Tietz
Section of Infectious Diseases, LSU Health Sciences Center, 1542 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 2822, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:3017-22. 2005We report the first case of disseminated infection with both Actinomyces graevenitzii and Mycobacterium tuberculosis and review the medical literature. Concomitant actinomycosis and tuberculosis is very rare...
- Amended description of the genes for synthesis of Actinomyces naeslundii T14V type 1 fimbriae and associated adhesinPing Chen
Microbiology Branch, U S Army Dental and Trauma Research Detachment, 310B B Street, Great Lakes, IL 60088, USA
Infect Immun 75:4181-5. 2007The type 1 fimbriae of Actinomyces naeslundii T14V mediate adhesion of this gram-positive species to the tooth surface...
- The isolation of Actinomyces naeslundii from sound root surfaces and root carious lesionsS R Brailsford
Joint Microbiology Research Unit, King s College School of Medicine and Dentistry, Dental School, London, UK
Caries Res 32:100-6. 1998The isolation of Actinomyces naeslundii from sound, exposed root surfaces (n = 56) and soft and leathery root carious lesions (n = 71) was investigated. Root carious lesions were sampled after the removal of overlying plaque...
- Fusobacterium nucleatum ATCC 10953 requires Actinomyces naeslundii ATCC 43146 for growth on saliva in a three-species community that includes Streptococcus oralis 34Saravanan Periasamy
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Building 30, Room 310, Bethesda, MD 20892 4350, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:3250-7. 2009..in dental plaque, but they become prevalent after the initial commensal colonizers, such as streptococci and actinomyces, have established communities...
- Identification of early microbial colonizers in human dental biofilmJ Li
Department of Periodontology and Oral Biology, Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Appl Microbiol 97:1311-8. 2004..To elucidate the first colonizers within in vivo dental biofilm and to establish potential population shifts that occur during the early phases of biofilm formation...
- Human salivary acidic proline-rich proteins and statherin promote the attachment of Actinomyces viscosus LY7 to apatitic surfacesR J Gibbons
Department of Microbiology, Forsyth Dental Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Infect Immun 56:439-45. 1988b>Actinomyces viscosus LY7 cells adsorbed in high numbers to experimental pellicles formed on hydroxyapatite (HA) from human parotid or submandibular saliva but not to pellicles prepared from human plasma or serum...
- Role of hydrogen peroxide in competition and cooperation between Streptococcus gordonii and Actinomyces naeslundiiNicholas S Jakubovics
School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 66:637-44. 2008..Streptococci do not produce catalase yet tolerate H(2)O(2). We recently demonstrated that coaggregation with Actinomyces naeslundii stabilizes arginine biosynthesis in S. gordonii...
- Actinomyces species, streptococci, and Enterococcus faecalis in primary root canal infectionsJose F Siqueira
Oral Microbiology Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Endod 28:168-72. 2002The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of Actinomyces species, streptococci, and Enterococcus faecalis in primary root canal infections by using a molecular genetic method...
- Isolation and expression of the lysis genes of Actinomyces naeslundii phage Av-1Allan L Delisle
Department of Biomedical Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1110-7. 2006Like most gram-positive oral bacteria, Actinomyces naeslundii is resistant to salivary lysozyme and to most other lytic enzymes...
- Genotypic diversity of oral Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 1 and 2 in caries-active preschool childrenG Tang
Oral Bio Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Oral Microbiol Immunol 19:371-8. 2004A total of 991 isolates of Actinomyces naeslundii were obtained from sound approximal tooth sites in either caries-active (n = 35) or caries-free (n = 20) preschool children...
- Evidence for recombination between a sialidase (nanH) of Actinomyces naeslundii and Actinomyces oris, previously named 'Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 1 and 2'Thuy Do
King s College, School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 288:156-62. 2008b>Actinomyces spp., predominant members of human oral biofilms, may use extracellular sialidase to promote adhesion, deglycosylate immunoglobulins and liberation of nutrients...
- Emended description of Actinomyces naeslundii and descriptions of Actinomyces oris sp. nov. and Actinomyces johnsonii sp. nov., previously identified as Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 1, 2 and WVA 963Uta Henssge
Department of Microbiology, The Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Microbiology and Salivary Research, King s College London Dental Institute, Floor 17, Tower Wing, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT, UK
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:509-16. 2009b>Actinomyces naeslundii is an important early colonizer in the oral biofilm and consists of three genospecies (1, 2 and WVA 963) which cannot be readily differentiated using conventional phenotypic testing or on the basis of 16S rRNA gene ..
- Actinomyces in chronic granulomatous disease: an emerging and unanticipated pathogenJanine Reichenbach
Division of Immunology, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 49:1703-10. 2009..We report for the first time, to our knowledge, chronic infections with Actinomyces species in 10 patients with CGD...
- Sequence analyses of fimbriae subunit FimA proteins on Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 1 and 2 and Actinomyces odontolyticus with variant carbohydrate binding specificitiesMirva Drobni
Department of Odontology Cariology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 6:43. 2006b>Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 1 and 2 express type-2 fimbriae (FimA subunit polymers) with variant Galbeta binding specificities and Actinomyces odontolyticus a sialic acid specificity to colonize different oral surfaces...
- Actinomyces in infected osteoradionecrosis--underestimated?Torsten Hansen
Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, D 55101 Mainz, Germany
Hum Pathol 37:61-7. 2006..Only very few data exist on Actinomyces in IORN. The study population consisted of 31 patients (7 female, 24 male; median age, 58.3 years)...
- Late prosthetic hip joint infection with Actinomyces israelii in an intravenous drug user: case report and literature reviewRana Zaman
Division of Infectious Diseases Department of Pathology, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:4391-2. 2002Late infections with Actinomyces israelii have been described for prosthetic hip joints but not in association with intravenous drug use. We present a case of a 43-year-old intravenous drug user who developed A...
- Coaggregation-mediated interactions of streptococci and actinomyces detected in initial human dental plaqueRobert J Palmer
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4350, USA
J Bacteriol 185:3400-9. 2003Streptococci and actinomyces that initiate colonization of the tooth surface frequently coaggregate with each other as well as with other oral bacteria...
- The acid-tolerant microbiota associated with plaque from initial caries and healthy tooth surfacesG Svensater
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Caries Res 37:395-403. 2003....
- Autoinducer 2: a concentration-dependent signal for mutualistic bacterial biofilm growthAlexander H Rickard
National Institutes of Health, NIDCR, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Microbiol 60:1446-56. 2006..We show that mutualistic and abundant biofilm growth in flowing saliva of two human oral commensal bacteria, Actinomyces naeslundii T14V and Streptococcus oralis 34, is dependent upon production of AI-2 by S. oralis 34...
- Effect of calcium glycerophosphate on demineralization in an in vitro biofilm modelR J M Lynch
Unilever Oral Care, Bebington, Wirral, UK
Caries Res 40:142-7. 2006..In dentine, CaGP reduced demineralization significantly only when pulsed before the sucrose. The findings suggest that in vivo, the anti-caries potential of CaGP may be greater if it is applied before a cariogenic challenge...
- In vitro growth, acidogenicity and cariogenicity of predominant human root caries floraSong Shen
Oral Bio Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, The Prince Philip Dental Hospital, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Dent 32:667-78. 2004Streptococcus mutans (Sm), Lactobacillus acidophilus (La) and Actinomyces israelii (Ai) have been associated with root surface caries, which is an increasing problem in elderly Chinese...
- A correlation between age and Actinomyces in the adenotonsillar tissue of childrenP Melgarejo Moreno
ENT Department, Hospital Santa Maria, Lleida, Spain
B-ENT 2:95-7. 2006The purpose of this study was to investigate the presence of actinomyces in adenotonsillar disease, recurrent infections, or tonsillar hypertrophy in children...
- Isolation of Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenes from cases of feline otitis externa and canine cystitisS J Billington
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, The University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 14:159-62. 2002..In both cases, the A. pyogenes isolates were presumptively identified by macrobiochemical tests, and then their identities were confirmed by polymerase chain reaction analysis and 16S rRNA gene sequencing...
- Actinomyces--gathering evidence of human colonization and infectionVal Hall
Anaerobe Reference Unit, NPHS Microbiology Cardiff, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
Anaerobe 14:1-7. 2008The roles of the 'classical'Actinomyces spp. as colonizers of oral cavities of man and animals, in development of intra-oral infections and as agents of actinomycosis have been well documented...
- Actinomyces neuii subsp. neuii Associated with periprosthetic infection in total hip arthroplasty as causative agentHeime Rieber
Division of Microbiology, MVZ Dr Stein and Colleagues, Mönchengladbach, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 47:4183-4. 2009b>Actinomyces neuii has until now not been described as a pathogen associated with periprosthetic infection in total joint replacement. The case presented here suggests that A. neuii subsp. neuii is a causative pathogen...
- Development of amplified 16S ribosomal DNA restriction analysis for identification of Actinomyces species and comparison with pyrolysis-mass spectrometry and conventional biochemical testsV Hall
Anaerobe Reference Unit, Department of Medical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF4 4XW, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 37:2255-61. 1999Identification of Actinomyces spp. by conventional phenotypic methods is notoriously difficult and unreliable...
- Identification of clinical isolates of actinomyces species by amplified 16S ribosomal DNA restriction analysisV Hall
Anaerobe Reference Unit, Department of Medical Microbiology, and Public Health Laboratory, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 39:3555-62. 2001..ARDRA), using enzymes HaeIII and HpaII, was applied to 176 fresh and 299 stored clinical isolates of putative Actinomyces spp...
- Regulation of gene expression in a mixed-genus community: stabilized arginine biosynthesis in Streptococcus gordonii by coaggregation with Actinomyces naeslundiiNicholas S Jakubovics
National Institutes of Health NIDCR, Building 30, Room 310, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 4350, USA
J Bacteriol 190:3646-57. 2008Interactions involving genetically distinct bacteria, for example, between oral streptococci and actinomyces, are central to dental plaque development...
- Exopolysaccharides produced by Streptococcus mutans glucosyltransferases modulate the establishment of microcolonies within multispecies biofilmsH Koo
Center for Oral Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Bacteriol 192:3024-32. 2010..S. mutans grown with sucrose in the presence of Streptococcus oralis and Actinomyces naeslundii steadily formed exopolysaccharides, which allowed the initial clustering of bacterial cells and ..
- Dual function of a tip fimbrillin of Actinomyces in fimbrial assembly and receptor bindingChenggang Wu
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Bacteriol 193:3197-206. 2011Interaction of Actinomyces oris with salivary proline-rich proteins (PRPs), which serve as fimbrial receptors, involves type 1 fimbriae...
- Adsorption of salivary and serum proteins, and bacterial adherence on titanium and zirconia ceramic surfacesEmilena Maria Castor Xisto Lima
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry of Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:780-5. 2008..In addition, the protein profiles and bacterial binding properties of pellicles on Ti and ZrO(2) were compared to those formed on hydroxyapatite (HA) surface...
- Actinomyces naeslundii in initial dental biofilm formationI Dige
Department of Dental Pathology, Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Aarhus University, Vennelyst Boulevard 9, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Microbiology 155:2116-26. 2009..The purpose of this study was to analyse the patterns of colonization and population dynamics of Actinomyces naeslundii compared to streptococci and other bacteria during the initial 48 h of biofilm formation in the oral ..
- An Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenes mutant deficient in production of the pore-forming cytolysin pyolysin has reduced virulenceB H Jost
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Infect Immun 67:1723-8. 1999Pyolysin (PLO), the hemolytic exotoxin expressed by Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenes, is a member of the thiol-activated cytolysin family of bacterial toxins...
- Non-contact removal of coadhering and non-coadhering bacterial pairs from pellicle surfaces by sonic brushing and de novo adhesionH J Busscher
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 111:459-64. 2003..This study compares removal and de novo adhesion of pairs of coadhering and non-coadhering oral actinomyces and streptococci by sonic brushing on salivary pellicles in a non-contact mode as a function of the distance ..
- Pyruvate phosphate dikinase from a thermophilic actinomyces Microbispora rosea subsp. aerata: purification, characterization and molecular cloning of the geneN Eisaki
Research and Development Division, Kikkoman Corporation, 399 Noda, Noda City, Chiba 278 0037, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1431:363-73. 1999..Sequence comparison indicates around 50% similarity with other PPDKs and it has all the highly conserved regions of the related enzymes. We expressed the PPDK gene in Escherichia coli and obtained enzymatically active protein...
- Bacterial colonization during de novo plaque formationPer Ramberg
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Goteborg University, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 30:990-5. 2003..To determine microbial changes that occur during plaque formation in a dentition free of gingival inflammation...
- Salivary statherin peptide-binding epitopes of commensal and potentially infectious Actinomyces spp. delineated by a hybrid peptide constructLiza Danielsson Niemi
Department of Odontology Cariology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Infect Immun 72:782-7. 2004..construct (with both a hydroxyapatite-binding portion and a test peptide portion) to map the interaction of Actinomyces species (and Candida albicans) with statherin...
- Sortase-catalyzed assembly of distinct heteromeric fimbriae in Actinomyces naeslundiiArunima Mishra
Department of Molecular, Microbial, and Structural Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Ave, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
J Bacteriol 189:3156-65. 2007Two types of adhesive fimbriae are expressed by Actinomyces; however, the architecture and the mechanism of assembly of these structures remain poorly understood...
- Direct detection of cell surface interactive forces of sessile, fimbriated and non-fimbriated Actinomyces spp. using atomic force microscopyGaoyan Tang
Oral Bio Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Arch Oral Biol 49:727-38. 2004b>Actinomyces species are predominant early colonizers of the oral cavity and prime mediators of inter-bacterial adhesion and coaggregation. Previous workers have evaluated the adhesion of Actinomyces spp...
- Biofilm growth of Lactobacillus species is promoted by Actinomyces species and Streptococcus mutansS K Filoche
Dental Research Group, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine, Wellington, New Zealand
Oral Microbiol Immunol 19:322-6. 2004..of biofilm growth by noncoaggregating Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus plantarum on coculture with Actinomyces naeslundii, Actinomyces gerencseriae, Streptococcus mutans and Veillonella parvula was investigated using an ..
- Identification of Actinomyces (Corynebacterium) pyogenes with the API 20 Strep systemJ R Morrison
Division of Veterinary Medicine, West of Scotland Agricultural College, Veterinary Investigation Centre, Auchincruive, Nr Ayr, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 26:1865-6. 1988A total of 62 strains of Actinomyces pyogenes (previously Corynebacterium pyogenes) were examined by the API 20 Strep system (API System, La Balme Les Grottes, Montalieu-Vercieu, France)...
- Actinomyces europaeus sp. nov., isolated from human clinical specimensG Funke
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Syst Bacteriol 47:687-92. 1997..Biochemical and chemotaxonomic characterization revealed that the strains belonged to the genus Actinomyces. The phenotypic features of the 10 strains were incompatible with the descriptions of the previously ..
- Pilonidal sinus of the glans penis associated with actinomyces case reports and review of literatureShylashree Chikkamuniyappa
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 4:908-12. 2004..A pilonidal sinus of the penis is a rare entity. The association of a penile pilonidal cyst and Actinomyces is even more uncommon with only three cases reported previously...
- Electroporation-mediated transformation of Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenesB H Jost
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Plasmid 38:135-40. 1997Plasmids derived from pNG2 or RSF1010 were introduced into strains of Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenes by electroporation. Electroporation conditions were varied systematically to give a maximum electroporation frequency of 3...
- Salivary gel-forming mucin MUC5B--a nutrient for dental plaque bacteriaC Wickstrom
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:177-82. 2008....
- Influence of weight on removal of co-adhering bacteria from salivary pellicles by different modes of brushingH C van der Mei
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Caries Res 38:85-90. 2004This study compared removal of pairs of co-adhering and non-co-adhering oral actinomyces and streptococci from salivary pellicles by manual, rotating/oscillating electric and sonic toothbrushes, applying weights up to 240 g...
- Identification of a gene involved in assembly of Actinomyces naeslundii T14V type 2 fimbriaeM K Yeung
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78284, USA
Infect Immun 66:1482-91. 1998The nucleotide sequence of the Actinomyces naeslundii T14V type 2 fimbrial structural subunit gene, fimA, and the 3' flanking DNA region was determined...
- Effect of the environment on genotypic diversity of Actinomyces naeslundii and Streptococcus oralis in the oral biofilmJames S Paddick
Department of Microbiology, Guy s, King s, and St Thomas Dental Institute, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:6475-80. 2003The genotypic diversity of Actinomyces naeslundii genospecies 2 (424 isolates) and Streptococcus oralis (446 isolates) strains isolated from two sound approximal sites in all subjects who were either caries active (seven subjects) or ..
- Salivary receptors for the proline-rich protein-binding and lectin-like adhesins of oral actinomyces and streptococciS Ruhl
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Building 30, Room 532, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Dent Res 83:505-10. 2004Colonization of the tooth surface by actinomyces and viridans group streptococci involves the attachment of these bacteria to adsorbed salivary components of the acquired enamel pellicle...
- Metal-dependent repression of siderophore and biofilm formation in Actinomyces naeslundiiCas Moelling
Department of Biology, Ripon College, Ripon, WI, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 275:214-20. 2007b>Actinomyces naeslundii is a pioneer of the oral cavity and forms a biofilm on the tooth's surface. Most bacteria require iron for survival and in pathogenic bacteria iron availability regulates virulence gene expression...
- attB site disruption in marine Actinomyces sp. M048 via DNA transformation of a site-specific integration vectorYan Hua Hou
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, People s Republic of China
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 50:11-6. 2008An efficient conjugation method has been developed for the marine Actinomyces sp. isolate M048 to facilitate the genetic manipulation of the chandrananimycin biosynthesis gene cluster...
- Phenotypic identification of Actinomyces and related species isolated from human sourcesN Sarkonen
Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 39:3955-61. 2001..in chemotaxonomic and molecular biology-based identification methods have clarified the taxonomy of the genus Actinomyces and have led to the recognition of several new Actinomyces and related species...
- The importance of the removal of the intrauterine device in genital colonization by actinomycesI Bonacho
Gynecol Obstet Invest 52:119-23. 2001..with antibiotics, it is necessary to remove the intrauterine device (IUD) to eliminate genital colonization by Actinomyces. METHODS: A randomized clinical trial was carried out. Patients were divided into two groups...
- Genotypic diversity of clinical Actinomyces species: phenotype, source, and disease correlation among genospeciesJill E Clarridge
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3442-8. 2002We determined the frequency distribution of Actinomyces spp. recovered in a routine clinical laboratory and investigated the clinical significance of accurate identification to the species level...
- Actinomyces naeslundii fimbrial protein Orf977 shows similarity to a streptococcal adhesinL Hoflack
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 16:319-20. 2001The nucleotide sequence of the chromosomal DNA, upstream of Actinomyces naeslundii T14V fimbrial gene fimA, was determined...
- Mutualism versus independence: strategies of mixed-species oral biofilms in vitro using saliva as the sole nutrient sourceR J Palmer
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 69:5794-804. 2001..coaggregating early colonizers of the tooth surface (Streptococcus gordonii DL1, Streptococcus oralis 34, and Actinomyces naeslundii T14V). Area coverage and cell cluster size measurements showed that attachment of A...
- Sequence of oral bacterial co-adhesion and non-contact brushingH C van der Mei
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University Medical Center Groningen, and University of Groningen, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 86:421-5. 2007..A pair of co-adhering streptococci and actinomyces has been used previously to demonstrate non-contact removal by sonic brushing...
- Identification of independent Streptococcus gordonii SspA and SspB functions in coaggregation with Actinomyces naeslundiiP G Egland
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 69:7512-6. 2001..dental plaque formation involve the adherence of early colonizing organisms such as Streptococcus gordonii and Actinomyces naeslundii to the saliva-coated tooth surface and to each other. The S...
- Development of novel oligonucleotide probes for seven Actinomyces species and their utility in supragingival plaque analysisG Tang
Oral Bio Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Oral Dis 9:203-9. 2003The traditional, biochemical and enzymatic methods of identifying Actinomyces species are frequently confounded by the similar phenotypic characteristics shared by the different members of this genus...
- The in vivo dynamics of Streptococcus spp., Actinomyces naeslundii, Fusobacterium nucleatum and Veillonella spp. in dental plaque biofilm as analysed by five-colour multiplex fluorescence in situ hybridizationAli Al-Ahmad
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
J Med Microbiol 56:681-7. 2007..0006). The decreases of Actinomyces naeslundii content on day 2 and day 7 were significant (P=0.0028). Changes in Veillonella spp...
- Human infections with Actinomyces pyogenes (Corynebacterium pyogenes)B Gahrn-Hansen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 15:349-54. 1992b>Actinomyces pyogenes (Corynebacterium pyogenes), a well-known pathogen in many animals, was isolated from 11 Danish patients since 1968. Bacteriologic characteristics and clinical pictures of the patients are described...
- Severe large bowel obstruction secondary to infection with Actinomyces israeliiPhilipp Valko
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital of Lugano, Switzerland
Scand J Infect Dis 38:231-4. 2006..We report on a 38-y-old female with abdomino-pelvic actinomycosis, characterized by a 10 cm long filiform stenosis of the sigmoid colon and bilateral ovarian abscesses. She developed acute ileus that required emergency surgery...
- [Tuboovaric actinomycosis. A report of a case]Yelenys Reyna Mejía Salazar
División de Ginecología y Obstetricia, Hospital General de Atizapán, Instituto de Salud del Estado de México
Ginecol Obstet Mex 72:162-5. 2004..Tuboovaric actinomycosis case report...
- Different type 1 fimbrial genes and tropisms of commensal and potentially pathogenic Actinomyces spp. with different salivary acidic proline-rich protein and statherin ligand specificitiesT Li
Department of Odontology/Cariology, , , Sweden
Infect Immun 69:7224-33. 2001b>Actinomyces spp. exhibit type 1 fimbria-mediated adhesion to salivary acidic proline-rich proteins (PRPs) and statherin ligands. Actinomyces spp...
- Structural and antigenic types of cell wall polysaccharides from viridans group streptococci with receptors for oral actinomyces and streptococcal lectinsJ O Cisar
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 65:5035-41. 1997Lectin-mediated interactions between oral viridans group streptococci and actinomyces may play an important role in microbial colonization of the tooth surface...
- Infected osteoradionecrosis of the mandible: follow-up study suggests deterioration in outcome for patients with Actinomyces-positive bone biopsiesT Hansen
Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, D 55101 Mainz, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:1001-4. 2006..Recent studies showed a high prevalence of Actinomyces in IORN...
- Ovarian actinomycosis mimicking malignancyY Atay
Gynecologic Oncology Clinic, Cukurova University Medical Faculty, Adana, Turkey
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 26:663-4. 2005..To emphasize the importance of frozen section diagnosis in the treatment of ovarian carcinoma and to remind physicians that it may mimic ovarian carcinoma and occur in women without intrauterine contraceptive devices (IUDs)...
- Actinomycotic infection of the abdominal wall mimicking a malignant neoplasmFia Yi
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 9:85-9. 2008b>Actinomyces infections can create diagnostic dilemmas and be mistaken for malignant tumors.
- Cervical actinomycosis with spinal cord compression. Case report and literature reviewGuo Ping Xu
Department of Pathology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Chemotherapy 54:63-6. 2008..The diagnosis must be made promptly because delayed treatment can result in irreversible neurologic damage or death. Timely and long-term antibacterial therapy is essential for the complete recovery of the patient with actinomycosis...
- Actinomyces meyeri isolation from synovial fluid of a patient with metastatic squamous cell lung carcinomaEmel S Cetin
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Saudi Med J 26:1997-9. 2005
- Coenzyme F420-dependent enzymes in mycobacteriaBiswarup Mukhopadhyay; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mycobacterium leprae, which cause tuberculosis (TB) and leprosy, respectively, and Streptomyces, Nocardia, and Actinomyces that produce numerous antibiotics, anticancer agents, and immunomodulators...
- The effect of inter-species interactions on the virulence of Streptococcus mutansBing yan Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..the experimental focus of this proposal will be to determine the effects of other early colonizers such as Actinomyces naeslundii and later anaerobic colonizers such as Porphyromonas gingivalis on quorum-sensing in S...
- Inhibition of oral bacterial biofilm formation using natural products-inspired orNATHANIEL CHARLES CADY; Fiscal Year: 2012..study will focus on three ecologically relevant organisms: Streptococcus mutans, Streptococcus sanguinis and Actinomyces naeslundii. S. mutans has been implicated in oral disease and caries formation, while S. sanguinis and A...
- Molecular Assembly on the Cell Surface of ActinomycesHung Ton-That; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Actinomyces is a key early colonizer that plays a prominent role in biofilm development by virtue of its ability to ..
- Oxidative protein folding of pilins and virulence in Gram-positive bacteriaMELISSA ELIZABETH ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently structural studies of FimA and SpaA, the pilus shaft proteins expressed by the Actinobacteria Actinomyces oris and Corynebacterium diphtheriae, respectively, revealed insight into this biological problem...
- CLONING AND PURIFICATION OF A VEILLONELLA ADHESINChristopher Hughes; Fiscal Year: 1993..Veillonella, Prevotella, Actinomyces and Streptococcus utilize similar mechanisms to adhere to common streptococcal coaggregation partners...
- IN SITU ANALYSIS OF HUMAN PLAQUE FORMATIONGreg Germaine; Fiscal Year: 1991..specific at the genus, species and, in some cases, serotype levels will be prepared against oral Streptococcus, Actinomyces, Veillonella, Lactobacillus, Neisseria, Hemophilus, Bacteroides, Fusobacterium, Capnocytophaga, Actinobacillus ..
- STRUCTURE OF THE RECEPTORS FOR ORAL BACTERIAL ADHESINSC Bush; Fiscal Year: 1991..sanguis whose capsular polysaccharides are know to act as the receptors for the fimbrial lectins of Actinomyces species...
- PERIODONTAL DISEASES: B CELLS ACTIVATED BY MITOGENSJAMES CLAGETT; Fiscal Year: 1980..suggest that nonspecific polyclonal activation of host B-cells by substances from the dental plaque bacterium, Actinomyces viscosus (AVIS) may play an important role in the recruitment, maturation and differentiation of B-cells into ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MARINE ANTI-PLAQUE COMPOUNDTREVOR CASTOR; Fiscal Year: 2000..marine microorganisms were screened for anti-microbial activity against - Haemophilus actinomycetemcomitans, Actinomyces viscosus, and Streptococcus mutans...
- GENETICS OF ANTIBODIES TO PERIODONTAL PATHOGENSJEROME HABER; Fiscal Year: 1990..The proposed project, which is based on ongoing studies of genetic control of the serum antibody responses to Actinomyces viscosus, is a detailed study of genetic control of the specificity of serum antibodies to purified type 1 ..
- Analyses of Host-Biofilm Interactions: A Novel Polymicrobial ModelKaren Novak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This initial colonization by streptococci is followed by increasing proportions of Actinomyces, Veillonella, and Fusobacterium spp...
- ORAL ECOLOGY OF PROSTHETIC SURFACESMira Edgerton; Fiscal Year: 1991..The potential role of salivary mucins and secretory IgA in the adherence of Streptococcus and Actinomyces species to a denture surface will be defined by determination of binding affinities of these microorganisms to ..
- BACTERIAL ADHESION TO DENTIN IN ROOT SURFACE CARIESLECH SWITALSKI; Fiscal Year: 1993..however some bacteria are isolated from root caries lesions most often: Lactobacilli, Streptococcus mutans and Actinomyces. The mechanisms which localize these and other bacteria to the root surface are unknown and therefore effective ..
- TERTIARY STRUCTURES OF SALIVARY PROTEINSMARK LAMKIN; Fiscal Year: 1993..study using acidic proline-rich proteins which, only when adsorbed onto hydroxyapatite, have been shown to bind Actinomyces viscosus, Bacteroides gingivalis, and Streptococcus mutans...
- CELLULAR IMMUNE RESPONSES TO ORAL BACTERIAL ANTIGENSPRISCILLA CHEN; Fiscal Year: 1980..Extracts are being prepared from Actinomyces viscosus and Bacteroides asaccharolyticus...
- LYSIS OF CARIOGENIC BACTERIA BY PHAGE-ENCODED ENZYMESALLAN DELISLE; Fiscal Year: 2002..cell wall-hydrolyzing enzymes encoded in the genomes of phages specific for Streptococcus mutans and Actinomyces naeslundii as new therapeutic treatments for dental caries. S...
- Gene Regulation of Fimbriae in Actinomyces naeslundiiSOPHIA PINA; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Actinomyces naeslundii is a resident of the normal oral flora, however, it also has the potential to cause disease, namely root caries and periodontitis (3, 4). Colonization by A...
- POLYPHENOL OXIDASES AS ANTIADHESINSRONALD DOYLE; Fiscal Year: 1999..in which PPO will prevent coaggregation reactions between selected coaggregating pairs, including streptococci, actinomyces and gram-negative periodontopathogens. 3...
- MECHANISM OF A. NAESLUNDII ADHESION TO BUCCAL EPITHELIUMJEGDISH BABU; Fiscal Year: 1991..studies logically, the experiments proposed in this application are focused on the mechanisms of adhesion of Actinomyces naeslundii to the buccal epithelial cells, and the role of salivary macromolecules play in mediating these ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF ACTINOMYCES FIMBRIAESTEPHEN MATTINGLY; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Actinomyces spp. Are one of the primary colonizers of the oral cavity and persist from infancy to adulthood...
- SALIVA/GLUCOSYLTRANSFERASE INTERACTIONS ON SURFACESWilliam Bowen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such information may make it possible to design molecules which will compete with S. mutans and certain actinomyces for sites on glucan-coated pellicle.
- SALIVA-GLUCOSYLTRANSFERASE INTERACTIONS ON SURFACESWilliam Bowen; Fiscal Year: 1993..Such information may make it possible to design molecules which will compete with S. mutans and certain actinomyces for sites on glucan-coated pellicle.
- MECHANISMS OF VIRULENCE OF ORAL PERIODONTOPATHOGENSDALE BIRDSELL; Fiscal Year: 1980..Oral Actinomyces spp. have been strongly implicated in the etiology of gingivitis and, possibly, periodontitis...
- THE WHOLE GENOME SEQUENCE OF ACTINOMYCES NAESLUNDITimothy Read; Fiscal Year: 2001..The goal of this two year project is to determine the sequence of the chromosome of the human oral bacterium Actinomyces naeslundii. A. naeslundii is the most prominent actinomyces sp...
- Three Periodontal Therapies in Current & Non-SmokersAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed investigation should provide a model to examine methods that could be useful in treating compromised patients whether compromised by harmful habits such as smoking, systemic disease, or genetic background. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisANNE DENISE HAFFAJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will provide a basis for understanding microbial community structure, ecological relationships and define desired microbiological end-point of therapy. ..
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- New Pathogens for Childhood CariesAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a result, it is expected that many of the negative consequences of this disease will be avoided, with attendant reductions in the costs of dental and related medical care. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Research Group Annual MtgDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- INITIAL LESION OF ADULT PERIODONTITISAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Microbial Markers for Periodontal Disease in ChildrenDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Annual MeetingDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Attachment of Oral Actinobacillus to EpitheliumDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2008..The longterm goal of this application is to use this information to identify targets for therapeutic agents that can interfere with attachment of Aa to oral tissues and thus prevent colonization leading to LAP. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOSYNTHESIS APPROACH TO NOVEL BIOACTIVE AMINOCYCLITOLSTaifo Mahmud; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge and methods that arise from these studies will also be widely applicable to expanding the chemical diversity of other families of bioactive natural products. ..
- Obesity, Oral Contraception and Ovarian SuppressionCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will have very good power to detect clinically important differences. Results could directly and immediately affect contraceptive practice. ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for Endodontic DisinfectionNIKOLAOS SOUKOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Photodynamic therapy may be an adjunctive procedure to kill residual root canal bacteria after their sensitization with a photoactive drug and their subsequent exposure to light. ..
- Design of peptide entry inhibitors and delivery systems to target emerging henipaAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Design of peptide entry inhibitors and delivery systems to target emerging henipaAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Modulation of Dendritic Cell Function by CytomegalovirusJATIN VYAS; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed program will allow the candidate to obtain the skills, knowledge and experience to become an independent investigator. ..
- Quantification of Host Markers in GCF Using CBIBRicardo Teles; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, this methodology is at the forefront of new approaches in proteomics, and carries enormous promise for translational applications in the near future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY SHARED RESOURCE LABORATORYLaura Lamps; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Streptococci, Cytokines, PAF-r in EC CoagulationChin Lo Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also hope to provide an insight regarding streptococcal invasion into EC and offer an alternative model for the initial formation of vegetation. ..
- ORAL MUCOSA MICROBIOTA IN HEALTH, CANCER & MUCOSITISDonna Mager; Fiscal Year: 2004..Detection on unusual microbial shifts in mucositis might suggest possible routes to minimizing this condition. ..
- Lysine decarboxylase in periodontitis patientsMartin Levine; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RCT of a Novel Oral Contraceptive Initiation MethodCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study to adoption of and adherence to oral contraceptives. We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study population. ..
- Photosensitization of Oral BacteriaNIKOLAOS SOUKOS; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the same biofilm models the photodynamic effects of the PS will be established and PW-enhanced photosensitization of periodontopathogens by the PS will be evaluated. ..
- Molecular Epidemiological Approach to Determine S. mutansYihong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..Application of the new molecular tools will have a substantial impact on improving the oral health of children. ..
- Cell Tracking and imaging gene expression in the brainHarish Poptani; Fiscal Year: 2006..Correlation of MRI and PET images will be performed in vivo and in vitro using anatomical markers and with immunohistochemical staining for the beta-galactosidase activity. ..
- Periodontal Disease and PrematurityAnanda Dasanayake; Fiscal Year: 2006..The collective expertise of the investigative team and the excellent clinical and research facilities are additional strengths. ..
- Gene Expression in Chronic and Aggressive PeriodontitisPanos Papapanou; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, a pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis will facilitate correct diagnosis and targeted, efficient therapeutic prevention and intervention strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MR Spectroscropy and Imaging in Head and Neck TumorsHarish Poptani; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- SALIARY IMMUNE RESPONSE TO COMMENSAL ORAL BACTERIAMichael Cole; Fiscal Year: 2002..This work should provide important information concerning colonization of the human mouth by pioneer bacteria and may demonstrate the ability of SIgA to influence the presence of specific bacterial clones. ..