Summary: A species of parasitic protozoa found in the intestines of humans and other primates. It was classified as a yeast in 1912. Over the years, questions arose about this designation. In 1967, many physiological and morphological B. hominis characteristics were reported that fit a protozoan classification. Since that time, other papers have corroborated this work and the organism is now recognized as a protozoan parasite of humans causing intestinal disease with potentially disabling symptoms.
Publications177 found, 100 shown here
- Blastocystis hominis infection in irritable bowel syndrome patientsAnchalee Tungtrongchitr
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:705-10. 2004..ie examination for stool occult blood, simple saline smear method, formalin-ether technique, culture for Blastocystis hominis, modified trichrome stain, modified Ziehl-Neelsen method, and trichrome stain for parasitic and bacterial ..
- [Prevalence of Blastocystis hominis among food handlers from Caroni municipality, Bolivar State, Venezuela]Ixora Requena
Departamento de Parasitologia y Microbiologia, Escuela de Medicina, Universidad de Oriente, Ciudad Bolivar, Estado Bolivar, Venezuela
Cad Saude Publica 19:1721-7. 2003A cross-sectional survey was conducted to determine the prevalence of Blastocystis hominis infection in a random sample of apparently healthy food handlers...
- Comparison of methods for detecting Blastocystis hominisK Suresh
Scottish Parasite Diagnostic Laboratory, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, G21 3UW, UK
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:509-11. 2004In order to determine the comparative sensitivity of two methods of detecting Blastocystis hominis and to investigate the seasonality of infection with this enteric protozoan parasite, the present study was conducted...
- Intestinal parasites, including Cryptosporidium species, in Iraqi patients with sickle-cell anaemiaN K Mahdi
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Basra, Basra, Iraq
East Mediterr Health J 8:345-9. 2002..The most common intestinal parasites isolated in the sickle-cell patients were Blastocystis hominis (36%) and Giardia lamblia (28%)...
- Epidemiological survey of Blastocystis hominis in Huainan City, Anhui Province, ChinaKe xia Wang
Department of Etiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Anhui University of Science Technology, Huainan 232001, Anhui Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 8:928-32. 2002..To provide scientific evidence for prevention and controlling of blastocystosis, the infection of Blastocystis homonis and to study its clinical significance in Huainan City, Anhui Province, China...
- High prevalence of subtype 4 among isolates of Blastocystis hominis from symptomatic patients of a health district of Valencia (Spain)M Victoria Domínguez-Márquez
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario de La Ribera, Alzira 46600, Spain
Parasitol Res 105:949-55. 2009In order to know the genetic diversity of Blastocystis hominis from a health district of Valencia (Spain) 51 clinical isolates from symptomatic patients, 31 axenic and 20 monoxenic, were ribotyped by analysing the restriction fragment ..
- Prevalence of Blastocystis hominis carriage in Thai army personnel based in Chonburi, ThailandPaanjit Taamasri
Department of Parasitology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, Rachathewi, Bangkok, Thailand
Mil Med 167:643-6. 2002b>Blastocystis hominis is one of the most common intestinal parasites found in humans. The prevalence of B. hominis carriage in personnel who worked in the First Army Support Command, Chonburi, Thailand, was determined...
- Genomic analysis of Blastocystis hominis strains isolated from two long-term health care facilitiesH Yoshikawa
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Nara Women s University, Kitauoya Nishimachi, Nara 630 8506, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 38:1324-30. 2000The genotype Blastocystis hominis is highly polymorphic. Therefore, a genetic marker would be a powerful tool for the identification or classification of B...
- Prevalence of Blastocystis hominis infection in asymptomatic individuals from Bangkok, ThailandRapeeporn Yaicharoen
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medical Technology, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:17-20. 2005..In this study, Blastocystis hominis infection was diagnosed by culturing in Jones' media...
- Irritable bowel syndrome: is it associated with genotypes of Blastocystis hominisJaved Yakoob
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Parasitol Res 106:1033-8. 2010b>Blastocystis hominis is the most common intestinal parasite in humans. An extensive genetic variability has been described recently in B. hominis isolates. The aim of this study was to analyze genotypes of B...
- Clinical significance of Blastocystis hominis: experience from a medical center in northern TaiwanHan Yueh Kuo
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:222-6. 2008b>Blastocystis hominis is an intestinal protozoan. The pathogenic role of this organism in human beings is still controversial and has varied among reports from different geographic areas...
- Identification of Blastocystis hominis isolates from asymptomatic and symptomatic patients by PCRFadime Eroglu
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Balcali, Adana, Turkey
Parasitol Res 105:1589-92. 2009....
- Blastocystis hominis among symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals in Talkha Center, Dakahlia Governorate, EgyptAtef M El-Shazly
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:653-66. 2005b>Blastocystis hominis is now getting acceptance as an agent of human intestinal disease. B. hominis in stool samples of symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals was evaluated as a possible cause of gastro-intestinal troubles. B...
- Blastocystis hominis and other intestinal parasites in a community of Pitanga City, Paraná State, BrazilSolange Aparecida Nascimento
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Maringa, PR, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 47:213-7. 2005The objective was to estimate the prevalence of Blastocystis hominis, to evaluate the effectiveness of different techniques for its diagnosis as well as to estimate the prevalence of other intestinal parasites in the community of Campo ..
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterisation of Blastocystis hominis isolates implicates subtype 3 as a subtype with pathogenic potentialT C Tan
Department of Parasitology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Parasitol Res 104:85-93. 2008Despite frequent reports on the presence of Blastocystis hominis in human intestinal tract, its pathogenicity remains a matter of intense debate...
- Cytologic diagnosis of blastocystis hominis in peritoneal fluid: a case reportWillmar D Patino
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Acta Cytol 52:718-20. 2008b>Blastocystis hominis is the most common parasite identified in s worldwide. Although it is commonly identified in stool preparations, unusual to encounter B hominis in abdominal fluid.
- [Is Blastocystis hominis an opportunist agent?]Funda Doğruman Al
Gazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Tibbi Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Ankara, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 31:28-36. 2007Despite its high prevalence throughout the world, major issues about Blastocystis hominis remain unresolved, including fundamental areas such as taxonomy and pathogenicity...
- The pathogenic role of different Blastocystis hominis genotypes isolated from patients with irritable bowel syndromeShawky A Fouad
Department of Internal Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Arab J Gastroenterol 12:194-200. 2011The pathogenic role of Blastocystis hominis is still regarded by some as controversial...
- Epidemiology of Blastocystis hominis and other intestinal parasites in a Vietnamese female immigrant population in southern TaiwanHung Shiang Cheng
Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Kuo s General Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 22:166-70. 2006....
- Six ulcerative colitis patients with refractory symptoms co-infective with Blastocystis hominis in ChinaWei Ping Tai
Department of Gastroenterology, Beijing Shijitan Hospital, Beijing, 100038, China
Parasitol Res 108:1207-10. 2011b>Blastocystis hominis is an enteric parasite which has long been considered as an innocuous commensal living in the intestinal tract. Our research was to explore the role of B. hominis in refractory ulcerative colitis...
- In vivo encystation of Blastocystis hominisK Suresh
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Parasitol Res 104:1373-80. 2009....
- Extensive genetic diversity in Blastocystis hominisC G Clark
Department of Medical Parasitology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 87:79-83. 1997..If only a subset of the B. hominis variants have the potential to cause disease in humans this might explain the disparate findings reported. Future clinical studies must take the heterogeneity of B. hominis into account...
- Observations on the ultrastructure and viability of the cystic stage of Blastocystis hominis from human fecesK T Moe
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Parasitol Res 82:439-44. 1996This report describes the ultrastructure and viability of cysts of Blastocystis hominis from feces of infected patients...
- A case-control study of Blastocystis hominis among Iranian populationMohammad Rostami Nejad
The Research Center of Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shaheed Beheshri University, M C Taleghani hospital, Yemen St, Evin, Tehran, Iran
East Afr J Public Health 7:101-4. 2010A case-control study was conducted to investigate the epidemiology and clinical features of Blastocystis hominis among Iranian patients with and without GI symptoms.
- [Blastocystis hominis and bowel diseases]Sebnem Ustun
Ege Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Gastroenteroloji Bilim Dali, Izmir
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 30:72-6. 2006b>Blastocystis hominis (B. hominis) is a parasite of uncertain role in human disease. It may be identified during a workup for gastrointestinal symptoms, usually in stools. The clinical consequences of B...
- A study on Blastocystis hominis in food-handlers: diagnosis and potential pathogenicityFouad M Fathy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 41:433-53. 2011Proper diagnosis of Blastocystis hominis in not performed routinely in medical laboratories of developing countries; consequently clinical significance of this common intestinal protozoon is liable to remain unsettled...
- In vitro culture of blastocystis hominis in three liquid media and its usefulness in the diagnosis of blastocystosisXu Zhang
Department of Immunology and Pathogenic Biology, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, PO Box 64, 205 Scarlet Bird Avenue, Xi an 710061, PR China
Int J Infect Dis 16:e23-8. 2012b>Blastocystis hominis is a common protozoan in the human intestinal tract and can cause the so-called blastocystosis characterized by diarrhea...
- Proteaese activity of Blastocystis hominis subtype3 in symptomatic and asymptomatic patientsDina Marie Abdel-Hameed
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, 13 B Kornesh El Neel, Aghkhan, Shobra, Cairo, Egypt
Parasitol Res 109:321-7. 2011Despite accumulating evidence indicating that Blastocystis hominis is pathogenic and that cysteine proteases are involved in its pathogenesis, few researches discussed the protease activity of B. hominis genetic subtypes...
- No correlation between clinical symptoms and Blastocystis hominis in immunocompetent individualsKarin Leder
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1390-4. 2005Abstract Background and Aim: Previous reports regarding the clinical significance and pathogenicity of Blastocystis hominis have been contradictory...
- Fecal-oral transmission of the cyst form of Blastocystis hominis in ratsHisao Yoshikawa
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Nara Women s University, Kitauoya Nishimachi, 630 8506 Nara, Japan
Parasitol Res 94:391-6. 2004The infectivity of two Blastocystis hominis strains, RN94-9 and NIH:1295:1, was examined in 3-week-old SPF Wistar rats...
- Frequency of Blastocystis hominis and other intestinal parasites in stool samples examined at the Parasitology Laboratory of the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the São Paulo State University, AraraquaraJúlio César Miné
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 41:565-9. 2008..The present study was developed to evaluate the frequency of Blastocystis hominis infection among inhabitants of the Araraquara region, State of São Paulo, and to compare different methods ..
- Incidence of Blastocystis hominis in faecal samples submitted for routine microbiological analysisJ J Windsor
Aberystwyth Public Health Laboratory, Bronglais Hospital, Caradoc Road, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 1ER, Wales
Br J Biomed Sci 59:154-7. 2002..All were stained using a commercial trichrome method. Blastocystis hominis was detected in 96 (6.9%), making it the most common parasite found in the study. Of the B...
- Evidence of waterborne transmission of Blastocystis hominisSaovanee Leelayoova
Department of Parasitology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, Ratchathewi, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:658-62. 2004A cross-sectional study was performed in February 2001 to evaluate the prevalence and risk factors of Blastocystis hominis infection in army personnel who resided in an army base in Chonburi, Thailand...
- Infectivity of different genotypes of human Blastocystis hominis isolates in chickens and ratsAya Iguchi
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Nara Women s University, Kitauoya Nishimachi, Nara 630 8506, Japan
Parasitol Int 56:107-12. 2007Most Blastocystis hominis isolates from humans are believed to be potentially zoonotic. This is because B...
- Blastocystis hominis colitis in a haemophilic patient as a cause of lower gastrointestinal bleedingJ F Lucia
Haemophilia 13:224-5. 2007
- Prevalence and clinical relevance of Blastocystis hominis in diverse patient cohortsO Cirioni
Institute of Infectious Diseases and Public Health, University of Ancona, Italy
Eur J Epidemiol 15:389-93. 1999The pathogenicity of Blastocystis hominis is extensively debated in the medical literature...
- Programmed cell death in Blastocystis hominis occurs independently of caspase and mitochondrial pathwaysA M A Nasirudeen
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Parasitology, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Science Drive 2, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Biochimie 87:489-97. 2005..previously that a cytotoxic monoclonal antibody (MAb) 1D5 elicits a programmed cell death (PCD) response in Blastocystis hominis and showed that caspase-3-like protease influences but is not essential for PCD in MAb 1D5-treated B...
- [Chronic angioedema and blastocystis hominis infection]Dariela Micheloud
Unidad de Inmunología Clínica, Servicio de Inmunologia, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Rev Gastroenterol Peru 27:191-3. 2007..This case helps to encourage studies to establish an association between the infection by Blastocystis hominis and the presence of chronic angioedema which does not respond to standard treatment, as this condition can ..
- Chronic urticaria and blastocystis hominis infection: a case reportA L Pasqui
Department of Internal Medicine and Immunology, University of Siena Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 8:117-20. 2004..Finally coprocolture disclosed the presence of Blastocystis hominis in stool samples thus permitting to associate urticaria to parasitic infection...
- Prevalence of Blastocystis hominis and Strongyloides stercoralis infection in Okinawa, JapanTetsuo Hirata
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Control and Prevention of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, 207 Uehara, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
Parasitol Res 101:1717-9. 2007This study was conducted to clarify the prevalence of Blastocystis hominis and Strongyloides stercoralis infection in Ryukyu University Hospital, Okinawa, Japan, between January 2004 and November 2006...
- Pathogenicity of Blastocystis hominis, a clinical reevaluationSelcuk Kaya
Süleyman Demirel Universitesi Tip Fakültesi, Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Isparta, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 31:184-7. 2007..0% and 32.6%. Intestinal symptoms may be seen frequently together with the presence of B. hominis and this protozoan may be regarded as an intestinal pathogen, especially when other agents are eliminated...
- In vitro susceptibility of Blastocystis hominis isolated from patients with irritable bowel syndromeJ Yakoob
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Br J Biomed Sci 61:75-7. 2004This study aims to determine the growth pattern and in vitro susceptibility of clinical isolates of Blastocystis hominis to different concentrations of metronidazole, furazolidone and ciprofloxacin...
- [Dot enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of serum antibody to Blastocystis hominis in humans]Shui lian Su
Gannan Medical College, Ganzhou 341000, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 25:256-8. 2007..Using stool in vitro cultivation as golden standard, 178 cases were found Blastocystis hominis positive and 144 were negative. Dot-ELISA was used to examine the serum samples with a sensitivity of 92...
- Epidemiological survey of Giardia spp. and Blastocystis hominis in an Argentinian rural communityMarta Cecilia Minvielle
Catedra de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina
Korean J Parasitol 42:121-7. 2004..and Blastocystis hominis among a rural population in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. Of the surveyed population (350), 3...
- The use of the antifungal agent miconazole as an inhibitor of Blastocystis hominis growth in Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar culturesAlessandra Queiroga Gonçalves
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Tropical, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:201-2. 2007In regions with high prevalence, Blastocystis hominis is frequently found in association with Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar in xenic cultures...
- Amoeboid form of Blastocystis hominis - a detailed ultrastructural insightT C Tan
Department of Parasitology, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Parasitol Res 99:737-42. 2006The amoeboid form of Blastocystis hominis has been reported infrequently, and its morphological descriptions have yielded conflicting and confusing reports...
- Detection of Blastocystis hominis in unpreserved stool specimens by using polymerase chain reactionRune Stensvold
Unit of Mycology and Parasitology, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
J Parasitol 92:1081-7. 2006b>Blastocystis hominis is a common enteric parasite of worldwide distribution. Its pathogenetic potential has not yet been established, although numerous case reports suggest that B...
- Chronic urticaria due to Blastocystis hominisRitu Gupta
Department of Dermatology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 47:117-9. 2006..She was found to have an underlying gastrointestinal infection with Blastocystis hominis. This was thought to be clinically relevant as she had a history of mild chronic diarrhoea...
- [Experimental infection of mice with Blastocystis hominis]Fan Rong Yao
Department of Immunology and pathobiology, Medical School, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 23:444-8. 2005To seek a better pathway and proper number of parasites for Blastocystis hominis (B.h) infection in normal and immunocompromised ICR mice.
- Blastocystis hominis and the evaluation of efficacy of metronidazole and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazoleDavood Dorostkar Moghaddam
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Parasitol Res 96:273-5. 2005b>Blastocystis hominis is commonly found in the intestinal tract of humans. Although the pathogenicity of this unicellular parasite is controversial, anti-protozoan agents are usually administered to infected individuals...
- Effect of nitazoxanide in persistent diarrhea and enteritis associated with Blastocystis hominisJean Francois Rossignol
The Romark Institute for Medical Research, Tampa, Florida 33607, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:987-91. 2005The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of nitazoxanide for the treatment of diarrhea and enteritis associated with Blastocystis hominis as the sole identified pathogen in children and adults from the Nile delta of Egypt.
- Blastocystis hominis--an emerging and imitating cause of acute abdomen in childrenNesibe Andiran
Department of Pediatrics, Fatih University Hospital, 06540 Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 41:1489-91. 2006..Just before the decision of laparotomy, both patients were diagnosed as having Blastocystis hominis infection with light microscopic examination of the stools and were treated uneventfully with the ..
- [Impact of blastocystis hominis infection on ultrastructure of intestinal mucosa in mice]Hong Wei Zhang
Department of Occupational Health, College of Public Health, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 24:187-91. 2006To observe the ultrastructural change ot intestinal mucosa in mice infected with Blastocystis hominis, and to study the pathogenic mechanism of B. hominis infection.
- Blastocystis hominis among food vendors in Xochimilco marketsVerónica Cruz Licea
Public Health Department, School of Medicine, National Autonomous University of Mexico
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 45:12-5. 2003b>Blastocystis hominis is a pathogenic protozoon that lives in the human bowel and causes diarrhea: the mode of transmission is a passive one, through the ingestion of stool-contaminated water or foods that contain infective forms of the ..
- The usefulness of short-term in vitro cultivation for the detection and molecular study of Blastocystis hominis in stool specimensSumeth Termmathurapoj
Department of Pathology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, 315 Ratchawithi Road, Ratchathewi, 10400, Bangkok, Thailand
Parasitol Res 93:445-7. 2004When in vitro cultivation was used as the 'gold standard' for the detection of Blastocystis hominis in stool specimens, simple smear and trichrome staining showed sensitivities of 16.7% and 40.2% and specificities of 94% and 80...
- Complete circular DNA in the mitochondria-like organelles of Blastocystis hominisIvan Wawrzyniak
Laboratoire Microorganismes, Génome et Environnement, UMR CNRS 6023, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere Cedex, France
Int J Parasitol 38:1377-82. 2008b>Blastocystis hominis is an anaerobic parasite of the human intestinal tract belonging to the Stramenopile group...
- A placebo-controlled treatment trial of Blastocystis hominis infection with metronidazoleLuciano Nigro
Infectious Diseases Unit, University of Catania, c o Ascoli Tomaselli Hospital, via Passo Gravina 185, 95125 Catania, Italy
J Travel Med 10:128-30. 2003b>Blastocystis hominis, previously considered a harmless yeast, is now classified as a protozoan inhabiting the human intestinal tract. The pathogenicity of B. hominis remains controversial and is currently the subject of extensive debate...
- In-vitro cultivation: a sensitive method for detecting Blastocystis hominisS Leelayoova
Department of Parasitology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, 315 Ratchawithi Road, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:803-7. 2002Currently, the detection of human infection with Blastocystis hominis is usually based on the examination under a light microscope of faecal samples, either directly, as 'simple smears', or after some form of concentration...
- Hypersensitivity to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and chronic urticaria cured by treatment of Blastocystis hominis infectionT Biedermann
Br J Dermatol 146:1113-4. 2002
- Recent advances in Blastocystis hominis research: hot spots in terra incognitaKevin S W Tan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Science Drive 2, Singapore 117597
Int J Parasitol 32:789-804. 2002..To date, the morphology of Blastocystis hominis has been extensively studied by light and electron microscopy but all other aspects of its biology remain ..
- Blastocystis hominis modulates immune responses and cytokine release in colonic epithelial cellsH Y Long
Institute of Medical Microbiology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 87:1029-30. 2001An experimental in vitro model has been developed in order to determine whether Blastocystis hominis is able to trigger inflammatory cytokine response in colonic epithelial cells. After 24 h incubation of B...
- Programmed cell death in a human intestinal parasite, Blastocystis hominisA M Nasirudeen
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Parasitology 123:235-46. 2001..Our study shows the existence of PCD in an intestinal protozoan, Blastocystis hominis. Light and electron microscopy, biochemical and flow cytometry studies showed apoptosis-like death in B...
- Encystation--survival of Blastocystis hominis in immunocompetent mice abdomen cavityXiao Bo Zhou
Immunology and Pathogenic Organism Biology Department of Medical School, Xi an Jiaotong University, No 76 Yanta West Road, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Parasitol Res 106:1315-20. 2010Human Blastocystis hominis were isolated from diarrhea patients' feces and cultured in vitro. Then the cultures were inoculated intraperitoneally to laboratory mice. The B...
- Epidemiology of Blastocystis hominis and other intestinal parasites among the immigrant population in northeastern Taiwan by routine physical examination for residence approvalChin Te Lu
Section of Infectious Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, Lo Tung Poh Ai Hospital, I Lan, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 42:505-9. 2009b>Blastocystis hominis has not been reported as an endemic disease in Taiwan, but high prevalence rates have been found among immigrants. Due to the increasing number of immigrants in Taiwan, B...
- Pathogenic potential of Blastocystis hominis in laboratory miceHala S Elwakil
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Ramsis St, Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt
Parasitol Res 107:685-9. 2010b>Blastocystis hominis is a ubiquitous enteric protozoan whose pathogenic potential is still controversial. This study was carried out to clarify the pathogenecity of B...
- Blastocystis hominis and Dientamoeba fragilis in patients fulfilling irritable bowel syndrome criteriaJaved Yakoob
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Parasitol Res 107:679-84. 2010Studies have suggested a possible role for Blastocystis hominis and Dientamoeba fragilis in the etiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). We studied the prevalence of B. hominis and D. fragilis in patients with IBS-diarrhea (IBS-D)...
- Intestinal protozoa in HIV-infected patients: effect of rifaximin in Cryptosporidium parvum and Blastocystis hominis infectionsM Amenta
Division di Malattie Infettive, Palermo, Italy
J Chemother 11:391-5. 1999....
- Irritable bowel syndrome in patients with Blastocystis hominis infectionA Giacometti
Institute of Infectious Diseases and Public Health, University of Ancona, AN, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 18:436-9. 1999The prevalence of Blastocystis hominis in stool specimens of individuals with gastrointestinal symptoms was evaluated to study a possible link between the protozoan and the irritable bowel syndrome...
- Survival of Blastocystis hominis clones after exposure to a cytotoxic monoclonal antibodyS W Tan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Int J Parasitol 27:947-54. 1997Our previous studies have shown that monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) to Blastocystis hominis react mainly with carbohydrate epitopes, while 1 MAb (1D5) reacts specifically with a protein of 30.5 kDa...
- Epidemiology of Blastocystis hominis infection in Papua New Guinea: age-prevalence and associations with other parasitesR W Ashford
School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:129-36. 1992..When age- and village-matched pairs were considered, only a weak positive association with E. nana was detectable...
- Secretory and humoral antibody responses to Blastocystis hominis in symptomatic and asymptomatic human infectionsManal S E Mahmoud
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 33:13-30. 2003..05) of each from healthy controls nor from each other. The explanations and implications of these results are discussed...
- Irritable bowel syndrome: in search of an etiology: role of Blastocystis hominisJaved Yakoob
Departments of Medicine and Pathology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:383-5. 2004This study was designed to examine stool specimens of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients for Blastocystis hominis, a common intestinal parasite. One hundred fifty patients were enrolled, 95 IBS cases and 55 controls...
- Pathophysiological variability of different genotypes of human Blastocystis hominis Egyptian isolates in experimentally infected ratsEman M Hussein
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine Suez Canal University, P O Box 41111, Ismailia, Egypt
Parasitol Res 102:853-60. 2008The genotyping of Blastocystis hominis clinical isolates obtained from 28 gastrointestinal symptomatic patients and 16 asymptomatic individuals were identified by polymerase chain reaction using sequenced-tagged site (STS) primers...
- Metronidazole induces programmed cell death in the protozoan parasite Blastocystis hominisA M A Nasirudeen
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Science Drive 2, Singapore 117597
Microbiology 150:33-43. 2004Previous studies by the authors have shown that the protozoan parasite Blastocystis hominis succumbed to a cytotoxic monoclonal antibody with a number of cellular and biochemical features characteristic of apoptosis in higher eukaryotes...
- Polymerase chain reaction-based genotype classification among human Blastocystis hominis populations isolated from different countriesHisao Yoshikawa
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Nara Women s University, Kitauoya Nishimachi, Nara 630 8506, Japan
Parasitol Res 92:22-9. 2004Since the genotype of human Blastocystis hominis isolates is highly polymorphic, PCR-based genotype classification using known sequenced-tagged site (STS) primers would allow the identification or classification of different genotypes...
- Isolation and characterization of the mitochondrion-like organelle from Blastocystis hominisA M A Nasirudeen
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Parasitology, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Science Drive 2, 117597 Singapore
J Microbiol Methods 58:101-9. 2004b>Blastocystis hominis in an unusual protozoan parasite of the human intestinal tract. Previous studies have described the presence of mitochondrial-like structures despite the anaerobic nature of the organism...
- Genomic diversity of Blastocystis hominis from patients in southern IranH Motazedian
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 71345 1735, Shiraz, Iran
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:85-8. 2008
- Clinical characteristics and endoscopic findings associated with Blastocystis hominis in healthy adultsTe Li Chen
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:213-6. 2003Ninety-nine individuals with stools positive for Blastocystis hominis but negative for other parasites were identified from medical records of healthy adults who had received a physical examination at Taipei Veterans General Hospital from ..
- A possible link between subtype 2 and asymptomatic infections of Blastocystis hominisFunda Dogruman-Al
Department of Medical Microbiology, Gazi University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Parasitol Res 103:685-9. 2008b>Blastocystis hominis is one of the most common eukaryotic organisms in the intestinal tract of humans, while its pathogenic potential is still controversial...
- Hematological effects of Blastocystis hominis infection in male foreign workers in TaiwanH S Cheng
Institute of Environmental and Occupational Health, Medical College, National Cheng Kung University, No 1, Dashiue Road, 701 Dung Chiu, Tainan, Taiwan
Parasitol Res 90:48-51. 2003b>Blastocystis hominis found in stool specimens has been the most frequently identified parasite among foreign workers from Southeast Asia in Taiwan since 1992. The prevalence of B. hominis was 14.1% in this study...
- [Blastocystis hominis and diarrhea]Germán Ramírez Olivencia
Med Clin (Barc) 129:598; author reply 598. 2007
- [Blastocystis hominis infection and diarrhoea]Juan Cuadros
Med Clin (Barc) 128:638. 2007
- Intestinal protozoa and helminths among Terena Indians in the State of Mato Grosso do Sul: high prevalence of Blastocystis hominisJosé Ivan Albuquerque Aguiar
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Universidade Federal do Mato Grosso do Sul, Campo Grande, MS
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:631-4. 2007..5% were infected with at least one intestinal parasite or commensal. Protozoa predominated. Blastocystis hominis (40.9%), Entamoeba coli (33.2%) and Entamoeba histolytica/Entamoeba dispar (31.6%) were the most common...
- [Investigation of intestinal parasites in residents of the Kayseri Karpuzsekisi basin]Izzet Sahin
Erciyes Universitesi Tip Fakültesi Parazitoloji Anabilim Dali, Kayseri, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 30:178-80. 2006..The parasites detected were as follows: Blastocystis hominis, 82 (34.16%); Enterobius vermicularis, 37 (15.41%); Entamoeba coli 26, (10.83%); Entamoeba hartmanni, 10 (4...
- Morphology and reproductive mode of Blastocystis hominis in diarrhea and in vitroX Zhang
Department of Immunology and Pathogenic Biology, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, P O Box 64, 205 Scarlet Bird Avenue, Xi an, 710061, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 101:43-51. 2007The in vitro culture of Blastocystis hominis in Roswell Park Memorial Institute (RPMI) 1,640 medium containing 20% calf serum is described. The morphological and reproductive mode studies of B...
- Amoebic liver abscess or is it?K C Hu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Mackay Medicine, Nursing and Management College, Taipei, Taiwan
Gut 57:627, 683. 2008
- Prevalence of intestinal parasites among primary schoolchildren in Derna District, LibyaGazala A Sadaga
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Omar El Mouktar University, Derna, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:205-14. 2007..These parasites were Giardia lamblia (12.7%), Blastocystis hominis (6.7%), Entamoeba histolytica/ Entamoeba dispar (6.6%), Entamoeba coli (3.2%), E. hartmanni (1...
- [Observations on Blastocystis hominis and Cyclospora cayetanensis in routine parasitological examinations]Ruth Semira Rodríguez Alarcón
Laboratório de Investigação Médica, Parasitologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:253-5. 2007..The methods of Faust et al. and of spontaneous sedimentation in water are not enough to identify Blastocystis hominis. Significant percentage presence of this protozoan was found, especially when staining with iron ..
- Frequency of Giardia lamblia among children in Dohuk, northern IraqA T al-Saeed
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Dohuk, Iraq
East Mediterr Health J 12:555-61. 2006..9%); boys had a higher rate than girls. Some infected samples (70/486) showed double or triple infections and G. lamblia was combined with Hymenolepis nana, Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba histolytica and Iodamoeba buetschlii.
- [Blastocystosis: a high prevalence of cases found in patients from Health Center of Soledad, Anzoategui State, Venezuela]Virma Velásquez
Grupo de Parasitosis Intestinal, Departamento de Parasitologia y Microbiologia, Escuela de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Oriente, Ciudad de Bolívar, Estado Bolívar 800 1A, Venezuela
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:356-7. 2005The parasitological examination of fecal samples from 98 patients from an Ambulatory Health Center of Soledad, Anzoategui, Venezuela revealed a rather high proportion of results positive for Blastocystis hominis (46.9%).
- Protozoon infections and intestinal permeabilityHande Dagci
Department of Parasitology, School of Medicine, University of Ege, 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Trop 81:1-5. 2002..4.47+/-0.65%, P=0.0017). The IP values were 9.91+/-10.05% in Giardia intestinalis group, 6.81+/-2.25% in Blastocystis hominis group, 5.78+/-2.84% in Entamoeba coli group...
- Intestinal parasites in children from three west Texas border communitiesLuis G Escobedo
New Mexico Dept of Health, 1170 North Solano Drive, Suite L, Las Cruces, NM 88001, USA
J Sch Health 74:411-3. 2004
- [Blastocystosis: a high proportion of cases found in schoolchildren of São Paulo, State of São Paulo, Brazil]Vicente Amato Neto
Laboratório de Investigação Médica Parasitologia, Departamento de Moléstias Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:354-6. 2004..from a public institution of São Paulo (SP) revealed a rather high proportion of results positive for Blastocystis hominis. Other protozoan and worm species were markedly scarcer, a peculiar situation according to our judgement...
- [Investigation of intestinal parasites in AIDS patients]Ozden Büyükbaba Boral
Istanbul Universitesi Istanbul Tip Fakultesi, Mikrobiyoloji ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Capa, Istanbul
Mikrobiyol Bul 38:121-8. 2004..In 2 (9%) of these 23 patients G. lamblia were detected, while Isospora belli, Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba histolytica, Strongyloides stercoralis and Trichuris trichiura were detected in one patient each...
- Protozoal infections in the developmentally disabled: often overlooked cause of rectal digging and fecal smearingNancy C Brahm
Ann Pharmacother 38:1542. 2004
- Blastocystis hominis--an emerging cause of diarrhoea in renal transplant recipientsK Rao
Department of Microbiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur, Chennai 600 116
J Assoc Physicians India 51:719-21. 2003b>Blastocystis hominis is an intestinal protozoan that is emerging as an important cause of diarrhea in the immunosuppressed population. We report two cases of diarrhea caused by this organism in renal transplant recipients...
- [Blastocystosis: nitazoxanide as a new therapeutic option]Sergio Cimerman
3ra Unidade de Internação, Instituto de Infectologia Emilio Ribas, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 36:415-7. 2003..case of a patient with AIDS and severe immunosuppression who developed diarrhea due to a vacuolar stage of Blastocystis hominis. The patient was treated with nitazoxanide, a 5-nitrothiazole broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent...
- [50-year-old patient returning from Hawaii with changed stool habits. Blastocystis hominis]T Estlinbaum
Medizinische Universitätspoliklinik, Kantonsspital Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:936-8. 2002
- Remission of delayed pressure urticaria after eradication of Blastocystis hominisNicoletta Cassano
Acta Derm Venereol 85:357-8. 2005
- Molecular characterization of Blastocystis isolates in the Philippines by riboprintingWindell L Rivera
Institute of Biology, College of Science, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City 1101, Philippines
Parasitol Res 96:253-7. 2005..These results demonstrate the genetic heterogeneity of Blastocystis in the Philippines and a support to the idea of the organism's zoonotic potential...
- Detection of Dientamoeba fragilis and Blastocystis hominis using a simple staining methodJ J Windsor
National Public Health Service for Wales, Microbiology Aberystwyth, Bronglais Hospital, Caradoc Road, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 1ER, Wales
Br J Biomed Sci 63:27-8. 2006
- Primate enteroviruses transmission in BangladeshLisa Jones Engel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, this data will provide insight into the potential emergence of NHP-borne pathogens and help to deter the spread of emerging zoonotic threats. [unreadable] [unreadable]..