Genomes and Genes
Summary: A parasitic hemoflagellate of the subgenus Leishmania leishmania that infects man and animals including rodents. The Leishmania mexicana complex causes both cutaneous (LEISHMANIASIS, CUTANEOUS) and diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis (LEISHMANIASIS, DIFFUSE CUTANEOUS) and includes the subspecies amazonensis, garnhami, mexicana, pifanoi, and venezuelensis. L. m. mexicana causes chiclero ulcer, a form of cutaneous leishmaniasis (LEISHMANIASIS, CUTANEOUS) in the New World. The sandfly, Lutzomyia, appears to be the vector.
Publications247 found, 100 shown here
- MAP kinase phosphatase-2 plays a critical role in response to infection by Leishmania mexicanaMashael S Al-Mutairi
Division of Physiology and Pharmacology, Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001192. 2010..Indeed, following infection with the intracellular parasite Leishmania mexicana, MKP-2(-/-) mice displayed increased lesion size and parasite burden, and a significantly modified Th1/Th2 ..
- Impaired expression of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines at early stages of infection with Leishmania amazonensisJiaxiang Ji
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, WHO Center for Tropical Diseases, Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, Texas 77555 1070, USA
Infect Immun 71:4278-88. 2003..amazonensis parasites and provide a compelling rationale to explore immune augmentation as an intervention in American cutaneous leishmaniasis...
- IgG1 is pathogenic in Leishmania mexicana infectionNiansheng Chu
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 185:6939-46. 2010..In murine infection, Leishmania mexicana, which lives intracellularly in host macrophages, has developed pathways to hijack host IgG to induce a ..
- IL-4-independent inhibition of IL-12 responsiveness during Leishmania amazonensis infectionD E Jones
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Immunol 165:364-72. 2000..In contrast to experimental L. major infections, where host genetics control susceptibility, these studies demonstrate that the lack of IL-12 responsiveness may be dictated by the pathogen, rather than the host...
- Cysteine peptidases CPA and CPB are vital for autophagy and differentiation in Leishmania mexicanaRoderick A Williams
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences and Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8TA, UK
Mol Microbiol 61:655-74. 2006In the past, ultrastructural investigations of Leishmania mexicana amastigotes revealed structures that were tentatively identified as autophagosomes...
- Induction of autophagy correlates with increased parasite load of Leishmania amazonensis in BALB/c but not C57BL/6 macrophagesRoberta O Pinheiro
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro 21045 900, Brazil
Microbes Infect 11:181-90. 2009..These results suggest that autophagy regulates the outcome of L. amazonensis infection in macrophages in a host strain specific manner...
- Internalization of Leishmania mexicana complex amastigotes via the Fc receptor is required to sustain infection in murine cutaneous leishmaniasisP E Kima
Division of Microbial Pathogenesis, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
J Exp Med 191:1063-8. 2000We show here that maintenance of Leishmania infections with Leishmania mexicana complex parasites (Leishmania amazonensis and Leishmania pifanoi) is impaired in the absence of circulating antibody...
- Differential effects of paromomycin on ribosomes of Leishmania mexicana and mammalian cellsMarisa M Fernández
Instituto de Estudios de la Inmunidad Humoral IDEHU, CONICET UBA, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:86-93. 2011..Our results indicating differential effects of paromomycin on the translation processes of the Leishmania parasite and its mammalian hosts can explain the therapeutic efficiency of this antibiotic as an antileishmaniasis agent...
- Two separate growth phases during the development of Leishmania in sand flies: implications for understanding the life cycleSharon M Gossage
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Int J Parasitol 33:1027-34. 2003..A new scheme for the life cycle in the subgenus Leishmania (Leishmania) is proposed that incorporates these findings...
- Enhanced replication of Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes in gamma interferon-stimulated murine macrophages: implications for the pathogenesis of cutaneous leishmaniasisHai Qi
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Infect Immun 72:988-95. 2004..These results reveal a quite unexpected aspect of the L. amazonensis parasite and have important implications for understanding the pathogenesis of the disease and for developing vaccines and immunotherapies...
- Isotopomer profiling of Leishmania mexicana promastigotes reveals important roles for succinate fermentation and aspartate uptake in tricarboxylic acid cycle (TCA) anaplerosis, glutamate synthesis, and growthEleanor C Saunders
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Biol Chem 286:27706-17. 2011..incorporation of various (13)C-labeled carbon sources into the intracellular and secreted metabolites of Leishmania mexicana promastigotes using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and (13)C NMR...
- Mice with STAT6-targeted gene disruption develop a Th1 response and control cutaneous leishmaniasisL M Stamm
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 161:6180-8. 1998The cutaneous growth of Leishmania mexicana was measured in STAT6-deficient mice (STAT6-/-) and compared with that in similarly infected wild-type (STAT6+/+) mice. Following s.c. inoculation with 5 x 10(6) amastigotes of L...
- L-arginine and cationic amino acid transporter 2B regulate growth and survival of Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes in macrophagesNanchaya Wanasen
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Medical Research Building, Rm 3 132, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 1070, USA
Infect Immun 75:2802-10. 2007..A possible role of mCAT-2B in supplying L-arginine directly to the parasites for their proliferation is discussed...
- Reactive oxygen species-mediated immunity against Leishmania mexicana and Serratia marcescens in the sand phlebotomine fly Lutzomyia longipalpisHector Diaz-Albiter
Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool L3 5QA, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 287:23995-4003. 2012..marcescens. Our study demonstrates a differential response of the sand fly ROS system to gut microbiota, an insect pathogen, and the Leishmania that utilize the sand fly as a vehicle for transmission between mammalian hosts...
- Leishmania mexicana promastigotes inhibit macrophage IL-12 production via TLR-4 dependent COX-2, iNOS and arginase-1 expressionMuhannad Shweash
Division of Physiology and Pharmacology, Strathclyde Institute for Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, 27 Taylor Street, Glasgow G4 0NR, UK
Mol Immunol 48:1800-8. 2011The effects of Leishmania mexicana metacyclic promastigotes upon MAP kinase signalling in mouse bone marrow macrophages and subsequent expression of the disease regulatory proteins iNOS and COX-2 were studied...
- Transketolase from Leishmania mexicana has a dual subcellular localizationNicola J Veitch
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 382:759-67. 2004Transketolase has been characterized in Leishmania mexicana. A gene encoding this enzyme was identified and cloned. The gene was expressed in Escherichia coli and the protein was purified and characterized. An apparent K(m) of 2...
- Inhibition profile of Leishmania mexicana arginase reveals differences with human arginase IEric Riley
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 S W Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Int J Parasitol 41:545-52. 2011..The creation of a conditionally lethal Δarg null mutant in Leishmania mexicana has established that ARG is an essential enzyme for the promastigote form of the parasite and that the ..
- Delineation of diverse macrophage activation programs in response to intracellular parasites and cytokinesShuyi Zhang
Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, CA, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e648. 2010....
- Purification and characterization of hexokinase from Leishmania mexicanaMiguel A Pabón
Laboratorio de Enzimología de Parásitos, Centro de Ingeniería Genética, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Los Andes, La Hechicera, Merida, 5101, Venezuela
Parasitol Res 100:803-10. 2007Hexokinase from Leishmania mexicana was purified to homogeneity from a glycosome-enriched fraction obtained after a differential centrifugation of promastigote form...
- The Leishmania mexicana cysteine protease, CPB2.8, induces potent Th2 responsesKevin G J Pollock
Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Immunol 170:1746-53. 2003We have previously identified that Leishmania mexicana cysteine proteases (CPs) are virulence factors. We have now produced a recombinant L. mexicana CP, CPB2.8, which has similar enzymatic activity to native enzyme. Inoculation of CPB2...
- Properties of GDP-mannose pyrophosphorylase, a critical enzyme and drug target in Leishmania mexicanaAntony J Davis
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria 3050, Australia
J Biol Chem 279:12462-8. 2004..In contrast to the lethal phenotype in fungi, the deletion of the gene in Leishmania mexicana did not affect parasite viability but led to a total loss of virulence, making GDP-MP an ideal target for ..
- Sand fly saliva enhances Leishmania amazonensis infection by modulating interleukin-10 productionNilufer B Norsworthy
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, Texas 77555 1070, USA
Infect Immun 72:1240-7. 2004..amazonensis. Together, these results imply that the sand fly saliva facilitates Leishmania evasion of the host immune system by modulating IL-10 production...
- An effect of parasite-encoded arginase on the outcome of murine cutaneous leishmaniasisUpasna Gaur
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Immunol 179:8446-53. 2007..These data intimate that parasite-encoded arginase of Leishmania mexicana subverts macrophage microbicidal activity by diverting arginine away from iNOS.
- LmxMPK9, a mitogen-activated protein kinase homologue affects flagellar length in Leishmania mexicanaFlorian Bengs
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Parasitology Section, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Microbiol 55:1606-15. 2005..A mitogen-activated protein kinase homologue, designated LmxMPK9 from Leishmania mexicana, has been recently identified in a homology screen and its mRNA found to be present in all life stages...
- Interacting protein kinases involved in the regulation of flagellar lengthMaja Erdmann
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Parasitology Section, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 17:2035-45. 2006..LmxMKK, a mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase kinase from Leishmania mexicana, is required for growth of a full-length flagellum...
- Early enhanced Th1 response after Leishmania amazonensis infection of C57BL/6 interleukin-10-deficient mice does not lead to resolution of infectionDouglas E Jones
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Infect Immun 70:2151-8. 2002..These results indicate that although IL-10 plays a role in limiting the Th1 response during the acute infection phase, other immunomodulatory factors are responsible for limiting the Th1 response during the chronic phase...
- Flow cytometric assessment of Leishmania spp metacyclic differentiation: validation by morphological features and specific markersElvira M Saraiva
Instituto de Microbiologia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 110:39-47. 2005..The method here described can be applied to the identification of metacyclics of different Leishmania spp within the whole stationary population...
- Immune response induced by New World Leishmania species in C57BL/6 miceTatiani Uceli Maioli
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Instituto de Ciências Exatas e Biológicas NUPEB, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, 35400 000, Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Parasitol Res 94:207-12. 2004..amazonensis...
- Sorting of Leishmania-bearing dendritic cells reveals subtle parasite-induced modulation of host-cell gene expressionHervé Lecoeur
Institut Pasteur, Unité d Immunophysiologie et Parasitisme Intracellulaire, Département de Parasitologie et Mycologie, Paris Cedex 15, France
Microbes Infect 12:46-54. 2010..In conclusion, this approach provides a powerful method for further characterisation, of amastigote-hosting DCs in the skin and the skin-draining lymph nodes...
- Glycosylation defects and virulence phenotypes of Leishmania mexicana phosphomannomutase and dolicholphosphate-mannose synthase gene deletion mutantsA Garami
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, 72076 Tubingen, Federal Republic of Germany
Mol Cell Biol 21:8168-83. 2001..We have cloned from Leishmania mexicana the gene encoding the enzyme phosphomannomutase (PMM) and the previously described dolicholphosphate-Man ..
- Enolase as a plasminogen binding protein in Leishmania mexicanaGilmer Vanegas
Laboratorio de Fisiologia, Centro de Ingeniería Genética, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Los Andes, La Hechicera, Merida 5101, Venezuela
Parasitol Res 101:1511-6. 2007..b>Leishmania mexicana, one of the causative agents of Leishmaniasis, binds plasminogen and, in this parasite, enolase has been ..
- Activation of the MAPK, ERK, following Leishmania amazonensis infection of macrophagesZiyan Yang
Laboratory of Macrophage Biology, Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Immunol 178:1077-85. 2007..Thus, our findings reveal an important role of MAPK, ERK signaling in the pathogenesis of Leishmania infection...
- Leishmania amazonensis: effects of oral treatment with copaiba oil in miceAdriana Oliveira dos Santos
Programa de Pós Graduação em Microbiologia, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Rodovia Celso Garcia Cid, PR 445, Km 380, CEP 86051 990, Londrina, Parana, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 129:145-51. 2011....
- Leishmania mexicana infection induces impaired lymph node expansion and Th1 cell differentiation despite normal T cell proliferationAlice C Hsu
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4539, USA
J Immunol 179:8200-7. 2007b>Leishmania mexicana infections in C57BL/6 mice are associated with minimal immune responses and persistent cutaneous lesions. In contrast, Leishmania major elicits a robust Th1 response that promotes lesion resolution...
- Temperature-induced protein secretion by Leishmania mexicana modulates macrophage signalling and functionKasra Hassani
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e18724. 2011..We have observed that this TS induces a rapid and dramatic increase in protein release from Leishmania mexicana (cutaneous leishmaniasis) within 4 h...
- Activity of hydroxyurea against Leishmania mexicanaHugo Martinez-Rojano
Departamento de Posgrado, Escuela Superior de Medicina, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3642-7. 2008b>Leishmania mexicana is a protozoan parasite that causes a disease in humans with frequent relapses after treatment. It is also highly resistant to the currently available drugs...
- Expression of multiple CPB genes encoding cysteine proteases is required for Leishmania mexicana virulence in vivoHubert Denise
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, The Anderson College, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 71:3190-5. 2003b>Leishmania mexicana mutants deficient in the multicopy CPB gene array have reduced virulence, demonstrated by poor lesion growth in BALB/c mice and induction of a protective Th1 response. Reinsertion of the amastigote-specific CPB2...
- BALB/c mice deficient in CD4 T cell IL-4Rα expression control Leishmania mexicana Load although female but not male mice develop a healer phenotypeKaren J Bryson
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e930. 2011Immunologically intact BALB/c mice infected with Leishmania mexicana develop non-healing progressively growing lesions associated with a biased Th2 response while similarly infected IL-4Rα-deficient mice fail to develop lesions and ..
- Surface antigens of Leishmania mexicana amastigotes: characterization of glycoinositol phospholipids and a macrophage-derived glycosphingolipidG Winter
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, Tubingen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Cell Sci 107:2471-82. 1994..In contrast to EPiM3, there is strong evidence that this glycosphingolipid is not synthesized by amastigotes but by macrophages in the lesion. This suggests a mechanism of lipid transfer from the macrophage to the parasite...
- Regulation of the expression of nitric oxide synthase by Leishmania mexicana amastigotes in murine dendritic cellsArturo A Wilkins-Rodríguez
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Dr Balmis 148, Col Doctores, México 06726, D F, Mexico
Exp Parasitol 126:426-34. 2010..To address this issue, we analyzed the regulation of iNOS by Leishmania mexicana amastigotes in murine bone marrow-derived dendritic cells (BMDC) stimulated with LPS and IFN-gamma...
- Disruption of CD40-CD40 ligand interactions results in an enhanced susceptibility to Leishmania amazonensis infectionL Soong
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8011, USA
Immunity 4:263-73. 1996..These results indicate an essential role of cognate CD40-CD40L interactions in the generation of cellular immune responses against an intracellular parasite...
- Leishmania mexicana and Leishmania major: attenuation of wild-type parasites and vaccination with the attenuated linesHamid Daneshvar
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 187:1662-8. 2003..of Leishmania species by culturing in vitro under gentamicin pressure has been used successfully with Leishmania mexicana, L. major, L. infantum, and L. donovani...
- Leishmania amazonensis: participation of regulatory T and B cells in the in vitro priming (PIV) of CBA/J spleen cells susceptible responsePatrícia Sampaio Tavares Veras
Laboratorio de Patologia e Bio Intervenção, CPqGM, FIOCRUZ BA, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 113:201-5. 2006..These data suggest that in PIV, susceptibility to L. amazonensis is not related to Th cell polarization, but to the presence and activity of regulatory T and B cells...
- Pathogenicity and protective immunogenicity of cysteine proteinase-deficient mutants of Leishmania mexicana in non-murine modelsNancy Gore Saravia
Centro Internacional de Entrenamiento e Investigaciones Medicas CIDEIM, Apartado Aéreo 5390, Cali, Colombia
Vaccine 24:4247-59. 2006This study demonstrates that deletion of cysteine proteinase (CP) genes diminishes pathogenicity of Leishmania mexicana in non-murine experimental host models while preserving immunogenicity...
- Caspar-like gene depletion reduces Leishmania infection in sand fly host Lutzomyia longipalpisErich L Telleria
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, 21045 900, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Biol Chem 287:12985-93. 2012..expression was significantly down-regulated in females between 3 and 6 days after a blood feed containing Leishmania mexicana amastigotes. RNA interference was used to deplete caspar expression in female L...
- Inhibition of Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis growth and infectivity by aureobasidin AAmeria K Tanaka
Department of Biochemistry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Botucatu 862, Sao Paulo, SP, 04023 900, Brazil
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:487-92. 2007..To study the effect of aureobasidin A, an inhibitor of inositol phosphorylceramide (IPC) synthase, on Leishmania growth and infectivity...
- Fusion between Leishmania amazonensis and Leishmania major parasitophorous vacuoles: live imaging of coinfected macrophagesFernando Real
Department of Microbiology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e905. 2010..The observations reported in this paper should be useful in further studies of the interactions between PVs to different species of Leishmania parasites, and of the mechanisms involved in the recognition and fusion of PVs...
- Analysis of T helper cell responses during infection with Leishmania amazonensisJiaxiang Ji
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, 77555 1070, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:338-45. 2002..Thus, unlike a Th2-dominant phenotype seen in L. major infection, a mixed Th1/Th2 response can be maintained in L. amazonensis-infected mice via an as-yet-unidentified mechanism...
- Disruption of the murine interleukin-4 gene inhibits disease progression during Leishmania mexicana infection but does not increase control of Leishmania donovani infectionA Satoskar
Department of Immunology, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 63:4894-9. 1995The growths of both cutaneous leishmaniasis and visceral leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania mexicana and Leishmania donovani, respectively, were measured in interleukin-4 (IL-4) knockout mice (IL-4-/-) and compared with those of ..
- Leishmania-induced IRAK-1 inactivation is mediated by SHP-1 interacting with an evolutionarily conserved KTIM motifIssa Abu-Dayyeh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e305. 2008..We thus provide the first demonstration that a pathogen can exploit a host protein tyrosine phosphatase, namely SHP-1, to directly inactivate IRAK-1 through a generally conserved KTIM motif...
- Type I IFNs promote the early IFN-gamma response and the IL-10 response in Leishmania mexicana infectionL U Buxbaum
VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6073, USA
Parasite Immunol 32:153-60. 2010The protozoan parasite Leishmania mexicana causes chronic cutaneous disease in humans and most mouse strains...
- Down-regulation of dendritic cell signaling pathways by Leishmania amazonensis amastigotesLijun Xin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1070, USA
Mol Immunol 45:3371-82. 2008..Together, our data suggest that La parasites, especially in their intracellular forms, have evolved unique strategies to actively down-regulate early innate signaling events, resulting in impaired DC function and Th1 activation...
- Characterization of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterases in Leishmania mexicana and purification of a soluble formA Rascon
Laboratory of Cell Signaling, Instituto de Biologia Experimental, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado 47 069, Caracas, Venezuela
Mol Biochem Parasitol 106:283-92. 2000The cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase (PDE) activity in Leishmania mexicana is mainly located (>95%) in the soluble fraction of the cell...
- Comparative study of the ability of Leishmania mexicana promastigotes and amastigotes to alter macrophage signaling and functionsIssa Abu-Dayyeh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Infect Immun 78:2438-45. 2010....
- Leishmania amazonensis: metabolic adaptations induced by resistance to an ABC transporter blockerClaudia Machuca
Laboratory of Molecular Physiology, Instituto de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Exp Parasitol 114:1-9. 2006....
- A mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase homologue of Leishmania mexicana is essential for parasite survival in the infected hostM Wiese
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, Corrensstrasse 38, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
EMBO J 17:2619-28. 1998The parasitic protozoon Leishmania mexicana undergoes two major developmental stages in its life cycle exhibiting profound physiological and morphological differences, the promastigotes in the insect vector and the amastigotes in ..
- Lipophosphoglycan is not required for infection of macrophages or mice by Leishmania mexicanaT Ilg
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Corrensstrasse 38, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
EMBO J 19:1953-62. 2000..In this study, the LPG biosynthesis gene lpg1 was deleted in Leishmania mexicana by targeted gene replacement...
- Genetic background influences immune responses and disease outcome of cutaneous L. mexicana infection in miceLucia E Rosas
Department of Microbiology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Int Immunol 17:1347-57. 2005The experimental model of high-dose Leishmania mexicana infection is used frequently to study molecular mechanisms regulating Th2 response since most inbred mice regardless of their genetic background display Th2 cytokine-dependent ..
- Phosphoglycan repeat-deficient Leishmania mexicana parasites remain infectious to macrophages and miceT Ilg
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Corrensstrasse 38, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:4988-97. 2001..In this study, this proposal was investigated in Leishmania mexicana using a spontaneous mutant that was fortuitously isolated from an infected mouse, and by generating a ..
- Amiodarone destabilizes intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis and biosynthesis of sterols in Leishmania mexicanaXenón Serrano-Martín
Centro de Biociencias y Medicina Molecular, Instituto de Estudios Avanzados, Carretera Nacional Hoyo de la Puerta, Baruta, Caracas, Venezuela
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1403-10. 2009..Here we show that at therapeutic concentrations, amiodarone has a profound effect on the viability of Leishmania mexicana promastigotes...
- Processing and trafficking of Leishmania mexicana GP63. Analysis using GP18 mutants deficient in glycosylphosphatidylinositol protein anchoringMiriam Ellis
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, The Anderson College, Glasgow G11 6NU, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:27968-74. 2002..In Leishmania mexicana, GPI8 is nonessential, and Deltagpi8 mutants lack the GPI-anchored metalloprotease GP63, which is the major ..
- Role of interleukin-4 and prostaglandin E2 in Leishmania amazonensis infection of BALB/c miceElisalva T Guimarães
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, FIOCRUZ, Rua Waldemar Falcao 121, 40296 710 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Microbes Infect 8:1219-26. 2006..The lesions of indomethacin-treated groups contained mostly macrophages without vacuoles and small or absent necrotic areas. These results indicate that IL-4 and PGE(2) are susceptibility factors to L. amazonensis infection...
- An essential role for IL-13 in maintaining a non-healing response following Leishmania mexicana infectionJames Alexander
Department of Immunology, University of Strathclyde, Strathclyde Institute for Biomedical Sciences, 27 Taylor Street, Glasgow G4 0NR, Scotland, GB, UK
Eur J Immunol 32:2923-33. 2002A comparison of the growth of Leishmania mexicana in IL-4(-/-), IL-4Ralpha(-/-) and wild-type BALB/c mice demonstrated a disease exacerbative role for IL-13 as well as IL-4...
- The cell cycle of Leishmania: morphogenetic events and their implications for parasite biologyRichard J Wheeler
The Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
Mol Microbiol 79:647-62. 2011..We have shown that Leishmania mexicana undergoes large changes in morphology through the cell cycle and that the wide range of morphologies ..
- Metabolic changes in glucose transporter-deficient Leishmania mexicana and parasite virulenceDayana Rodriguez-Contreras
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Biol Chem 281:20068-76. 2006b>Leishmania mexicana are parasitic protozoa that express a variety of glycoconjugates that play important roles in their biology as well as the storage carbohydrate beta-mannan, which is an essential virulence factor for survival of ..
- Lysosomal depletion in macrophages from spleen and foot lesions of Leishmania-infected hamsterC L Barbieri
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Exp Parasitol 71:218-28. 1990..Leishmania donovani chagasi-infected hamster spleen and similar findings were obtained from foot lesions of Leishmania mexicana amazonensis-infected hamsters...
- Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-induced macrophage IL-12 production by Leishmania mexicana amastigotes: the role of cysteine peptidases and the NF-kappaB signaling pathwayPamela Cameron
Department of Immunology, Strathclyde Institute for Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Immunol 173:3297-304. 2004Infection with lesion-derived Leishmania mexicana amastigotes inhibited LPS-induced IL-12 production by mouse bone marrow-derived macrophages...
- The role of promastigote secretory gel in the origin and transmission of the infective stage of Leishmania mexicana by the sandfly Lutzomyia longipalpisM E Rogers
Division of Molecular Biology and Immunology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
Parasitology 124:495-507. 2002..Collectively, these data support the role of the PSG in the transmission of leishmaniasis, by conditioning the midgut environment for metacyclogenesis and altering the feeding ability of infected sandflies...
- Gel free analysis of the proteome of intracellular Leishmania mexicanaDaniel Paape
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 169:108-14. 2010..Bioinformatic analysis identified 143 proteins possibly secreted by L. mexicana amastigotes, half of which have no known function. The data provide a useful resource, e.g. for modelling metabolic flux or selecting novel vaccine antigens...
- Transgenic, fluorescent Leishmania mexicana allow direct analysis of the proteome of intracellular amastigotesDaniel Paape
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:1688-701. 2008..By this approach the proteome of intracellular Leishmania mexicana amastigotes was compared with that of extracellular promastigotes that are transmitted by insect vectors...
- In vitro sensitivity of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis and Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis Brazilian isolates to meglumine antimoniate and amphotericin BRogéria C Zauli-Nascimento
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Trop Med Int Health 15:68-76. 2010..Isolates were also uniformly susceptible in vitro to amphotericin B...
- Phenotypic characterization of a glucose transporter null mutant in Leishmania mexicanaDayana Rodriguez-Contreras
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 153:9-18. 2007Glucose is a major source of energy and carbon in promastigotes of Leishmania mexicana, and its uptake is mediated by three glucose transporters whose genes are encoded within a single cluster...
- Gene disruptions indicate an essential function for the LmmCRK1 cdc2-related kinase of Leishmania mexicanaJ C Mottram
Wellcome Unit of Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, Anderson College, UK
Mol Microbiol 22:573-83. 1996The generation of homozygous null mutants for the crk1 Cdc2-Related Kinase of Leishmania mexicana was attempted using targeted gene disruption...
- Activation of PI3K/Akt signaling has a dominant negative effect on IL-12 production by macrophages infected with Leishmania amazonensis promastigotesAaron Ruhland
Department of Microbiology and Cell Sciences, University of Florida, Building 981, Boc 110700, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Exp Parasitol 122:28-36. 2009..PI3K signaling activated by the infection is the negative signaling pathway that prevents IL-12 production...
- Real-time imaging of Leishmania mexicana-infected early phagosomes: a study using primary macrophages generated from green fluorescent protein-Rab5 transgenic miceChristoph Lippuner
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
FASEB J 23:483-91. 2009..Using real-time fluorescence imaging of phagosomes carrying Leishmania mexicana, we determined that parasite-infested phagosomes follow a uniform sequence of transient Rab5 recruitment...
- Leishmania amazonensis: characterization of an ouabain-insensitive Na+-ATPase activityElmo Eduardo de Almeida-Amaral
Laboratório de Bioquímica Celular, Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS, Bloco H sala H2 013, Cidade Universitaria, Ilha do Fundao, 21941 590, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 118:165-71. 2008..On the other hand, ouabain (1mM) did not change the growth of the parasite. Taken together, these results show that L. amazonensis expresses a P-type, ouabain-insensitive Na+-ATPase that could be involved with the growth of the parasite...
- Fusion of Leishmania amazonensis parasitophorous vacuoles with phagosomes containing zymosan particles: cinemicrographic and ultrastructural observationsP S Veras
Unite d Immunoparasitologie, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Braz J Med Biol Res 29:1009-18. 1996....
- LmxPK4, a mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase homologue of Leishmania mexicana with a potential role in parasite differentiationDaniela Kuhn
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Parasitology Section, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Microbiol 56:1169-82. 2005Members of the mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase cascade are important for the establishment of a Leishmania mexicana infection and are involved in flagellar length control, although the underlying molecular mechanisms remain to be ..
- Inhibitors of Leishmania mexicana CRK3 cyclin-dependent kinase: chemical library screen and antileishmanial activityKaren M Grant
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3033-42. 2004..Thus, use of chemical inhibitors supports genetic studies to confirm CRK3 as a validated drug target in Leishmania and provides pharmacophores for further drug development...
- Disease severity in patients infected with Leishmania mexicana relates to IL-1βEdith A Fernández-Figueroa
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico Distrito Federal, Mexico
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1533. 2012b>Leishmania mexicana can cause both localized (LCL) and diffuse (DCL) cutaneous leishmaniasis, yet little is known about factors regulating disease severity in these patients...
- Structure of Leishmania mexicana phosphomannomutase highlights similarities with human isoformsLukasz Kedzierski
Infection and Immunity Division, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia
J Mol Biol 363:215-27. 2006..Deletion of PMM from Leishmania mexicana results in loss of virulence, suggesting that PMM is a promising drug target for the development of anti-..
- The scavenger receptor MARCO is involved in Leishmania major infection by CBA/J macrophagesI N Gomes
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, FIOCRUZ BA, Brazil
Parasite Immunol 31:188-98. 2009..These results support the hypothesis that MARCO has a role in macrophage infection by L. major in vitro as well as in vivo...
- Endogenous interleukin-12 is critical for controlling the late but not the early stage of Leishmania mexicana infection in C57BL/6 miceFabiola Aguilar Torrentera
Laboratory of Parasitology, Free University of Brussels ULB, Brussels, Belgium
Infect Immun 70:5075-80. 2002..in the resistance of C57BL/6 (B6) mice to Leishmania major infection, but its involvement in the control of Leishmania mexicana infection remains to be determined. Here, we show the following. (i) L. mexicana, in contrast to L...
- Allosteric mechanism of pyruvate kinase from Leishmania mexicana uses a rock and lock modelHugh P Morgan
Structural Biochemistry Group, Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, Michael Swann Building, King s Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 285:12892-8. 2010..of allosteric structures, in all possible ligated states, for the tetrameric enzyme, pyruvate kinase, from Leishmania mexicana. The transition between inactive T-state and active R-state is accompanied by a simple symmetrical 6 ..
- Parasitic load and histopathology of cutaneous lesions, lymph node, spleen, and liver from BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice infected with Leishmania mexicanaFabiola Aguilar Torrentera
Laboratory of Parasitology, Free University of Brussels ULB, Belgium
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:273-9. 2002..in BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice over a period of 34 weeks after inoculation in footpad with promastigotes of a Leishmania mexicana reference strain...
- New silver polypyridyl complexes: synthesis, characterization and biological activity on Leishmania mexicanaMaribel Navarro
Centro de Quimica, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas IVIC, Caracas, Venezuela
Arzneimittelforschung 56:600-4. 2006..These findings suggest that biological activity could be associated with the interaction of the complexes with the parasitic DNA...
- A critical role for lipophosphoglycan in proinflammatory responses of dendritic cells to Leishmania mexicanaToni Aebischer
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Department of Molecular Biology, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 35:476-86. 2005..Different forms of Leishmania mexicana have distinct effects on DC, with promastigotes and amastigotes being activating and apparently neutral, ..
- Leishmania mexicana lipophosphoglycan differentially regulates PKCalpha-induced oxidative burst in macrophages of BALB/c and C57BL/6 miceJ Delgado-Dominguez
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Colonia Doctores, Mexico D F, Mexico
Parasite Immunol 32:440-9. 2010..macrophage oxidative burst, yet it is not known if different susceptibility of BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice to Leishmania mexicana could be related to PKCalpha. We analysed the effect of L...
- In vivo and in vitro control of Leishmania mexicana due to garlic-induced NO productionM R Gamboa-León
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Centro de Investigaciones Regionales Dr Hideyo Noguchi, Universidad Autonoma de Yucatan, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Scand J Immunol 66:508-14. 2007b>Leishmania mexicana is the main causal agent of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the Yucatán peninsula in Mexico...
- CTL responses to Leishmania mexicana gp63-cDNA vaccine in a murine modelS A Ali
School of Science and Technology, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton, Nottingham, UK
Parasite Immunol 31:373-83. 2009..were to establish a suitable cytotoxicity assay to measure CTL activity and to compare immunity induced by Leishmania mexicana gp63 cDNA via i.m. injection and gene gun immunization in the BALB/c mouse model...
- Nucleolar accumulation of RNA binding proteins induced by Actinomycin D is functional in Trypanosoma cruzi and Leishmania mexicana but not in T. bruceiEzequiel Názer
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas Instituto Tecnológico Chascomús, UNSAM CONICET, San Martin, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS ONE 6:e24184. 2011..cruzi and L. mexicana, is not functional in T. brucei, suggesting that it has been lost or retained differentially during the evolution of the trypanosomatid lineage...
- The role of interleukin-10 in susceptibility of BALB/c mice to infection with Leishmania mexicana and Leishmania amazonensisUdaikumar M Padigel
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 171:3705-10. 2003..amazonensis, does play a significant role in regulating the development of a protective Th1-type response. However, effective resolution of infection with these New World parasites requires neutralization of both IL-4 and IL-10...
- Proteophosphoglycan, a major secreted product of intracellular Leishmania mexicana amastigotes, is a poor B-cell antigen and does not elicit a specific conventional CD4+ T-cell responseT Aebischer
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Infect Immun 67:5379-85. 1999..The major secreted product of intracellular Leishmania mexicana amastigotes, a proteophosphoglycan (aPPG), is known to contribute to the establishment of the ..
- The putative effector-binding site of Leishmania mexicana pyruvate kinase studied by site-directed mutagenesisVeronique Hannaert
Research Unit for Tropical Diseases, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology and Laboratory of Biochemistry, Universite Catholique de Louvain, ICP TROP 74 39 Avenue Hippocrate, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
FEBS Lett 514:255-9. 2002The activity of pyruvate kinase of Leishmania mexicana is allosterically regulated by fructose 2,6-bisphosphate (F-2,6-P(2)), contrary to the pyruvate kinases from other eukaryotes that are usually stimulated by fructose 1,6-bisphosphate ..
- Distinct transcriptional signatures of bone marrow-derived C57BL/6 and DBA/2 dendritic leucocytes hosting live Leishmania amazonensis amastigotesEmilie Giraud
Département de Parasitologie et Mycologie, Laboratoire Immunophysiologie et Parasitisme, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1980. 2012....
- A plasma membrane P-type H(+)-ATPase regulates intracellular pH in Leishmania mexicana amazonensisNorma Marchesini
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, Department of Pathobiology, College of Verterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2001 South, Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 119:225-36. 2002..80+/-0.03 to 7.25+/-0.09 and induce membrane hyperpolarization. No evidence was found of the possible involvement of a K(+)/H(+)-ATPase in intracellular pH regulation in both developmental stages of L. m. amazonensis...
- Leishmania mexicana glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase showed conformational changes upon binding a bi-substrate adductJungwoo Choe
Department of Biochemistry, Biomolecular Structure and Design Program, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7742, USA
J Mol Biol 329:335-49. 2003..The ternary complex structure of Leishmania mexicana GPDH (LmGPDH) with dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) and NAD(+) was determined to 1...
- Mast cells are activated by Leishmania mexicana LPG and regulate the disease outcome depending on the genetic background of the hostM I Villaseñor-Cardoso
Departamento de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Parasite Immunol 30:425-34. 2008..mast cells (BMMCs) from susceptible BALB/c and resistant C57BL/6 mice, stimulated in vitro with Leishmania mexicana lipophosphoglycan (LPG)...
- Interleukin-18 enhances a Th2 biased response and susceptibility to Leishmania mexicana in BALB/c miceKaren Jane Bryson
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Microbes Infect 10:834-9. 2008..Interleukin-18 deficient mice on a BALB/c background display increased resistance to cutaneous infection with Leishmania mexicana, with reduced lesion progression and reduced parasite burdens compared with wild-type mice...
- In vitro indomethacin administration upregulates interleukin-12 production and polarizes the immune response towards a Th1 type in susceptible BALB/c mice infected with Leishmania mexicanaJ L Pérez-Santos
Experimental Pathology Department, CINVESTAV IPN, Mexico DF, Mexico
Parasite Immunol 23:599-606. 2001..We investigated the production of PGs and their effects on cytokine and NO production by spleen cells from Leishmania mexicana infected BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice...
- Coordinate regulation of a family of promastigote-enriched mRNAs by the 3'UTR PRE element in Leishmania mexicanaTimothy R Holzer
Purdue University, Department of Biochemistry, 175 S University St, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2063, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 157:54-64. 2008..The nine-nucleotide paraflagellar rod regulatory element (PRE) in the 3'UTR of Leishmania mexicana PFR2 is both necessary and sufficient for the observed 10-fold higher level of PFR2 mRNA in promastigotes ..
- CYSTEINE PROTEINASES AS LEISHMANIAL VIRULENCE FACTORSLAURENCE BUXBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2002..D. and Ph.D. degrees, with thesis research in the GPI anchor of African trypanosomes. He has completed his clinical training in Internal Medicine and a clinical year of Infectious Diseases at the University of Pennsylvania. ..
- The Role of Glycolipids and CD1 in the Immunology of Leishmania InfectionLaurence U Buxbaum; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. military stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq. We have been studying Leishmania mexicana infection in mice, attempting to understand why mice do not heal, whereas a related parasite, L...
- Functional Characterization of Leishmania TransportersScott M Landfear; Fiscal Year: 2010The objective of this proposal is to study the biological function of glucose transporters in the parasite Leishmania mexicana. Leishmania species cause disease in an estimated 12 million individuals worldwide and are a major public ..
- Development of Assay for High Throughput Screen of Parasite Glucose TransporterScott M Landfear; Fiscal Year: 2010..This assay utilizes a glucose transporter null mutant of Leishmania mexicana that is dependent for growth, in the appropriate medium, upon functional expression of a heterologous ..
- Flagellar targeting and sensory function of a glucose transporter in L. mexicana.KHOA DANG TRAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The three Leishmania mexicana glucose transporters offer an ideal system to investigate protein targeting to the flagellar membrane, as ..
- Selective Inhibitors of the Hexose Transporter from African TrypansomesScott Landfear; Fiscal Year: 2013..This assay employs a glucose transporter null mutant of the related parasite Leishmania mexicana that has been complemented with either the gene encoding THT1 or the gene for a major human glucose ..
- Initiation of Immune Response in Chronic LeishmaniasisPhillip A Scott; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infections of C57BL/6 mice with Leishmania mexicana fail to resolve, and therefore provide an excellent model to investigate the immune responses that lead to ..
- Sterol Biosynthesis in Trypanosomatid ParasitesFrederick Buckner; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) Interrupt the sterol biosynthesis genes in Leishmania mexicana and Trypanosoma cruzi...
- Phosphomannomutase (PMM) as a Novel Drug Target for the Parasite LeishmaniaJUSTIN WYATT; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data from the recently reported crystal structure of PMM from Leishmania mexicana is expected to be similar to other forms of leishmaniasis because of the high degree of similarity between ..
- Regulation of RNA Editing in LeishmaniaDMITRI MASLOV; Fiscal Year: 2007..which will utilize in vitro promastigote-amastigote differentiation systems of Leishmania donovani and Leishmania mexicana amazonensis...
- SCORE Program at the University of the Incarnate WordSara Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2004..S. and Nicaragua by investigating interactions between Leishmania mexicana, Lutzomyia spp, and Neotoma spp. (2) Dr. Peter Melby and Dr...
- STUDIES OF DIFFERENTIALLY EXPRESSED LEISHMANIA ANTIGENSDIANE MCMAHON PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2003..DESCRIPTION (provided by the applicant): This proposal is focused upon the intracellular amastigote stage of Leishmania mexicana complex parasites and the immune/inflammatory interactions occurring within the vaccinated host...
- REGULATION OF FLAGELLUM AND PFT IN LEISHMANIAJAMES FORNEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..proposal is to understand regulatory processes governing stage-specific elaboration of the flagellum in Leishmania mexicana. A profound change in flagellar morphology is one of the features distinguishing the insect and mammalian ..
- IDENTIFYING TOR'S MODE OF ACTIONSiegfried Detke; Fiscal Year: 2002..It may be possible through TOR to reduce the purine transport capability and starve the parasite of an absolutely essential nutrient. ..
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF BLOCKING MALARIA TRANSMISSIONJoseph M Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2010..falciparum chitinase, PfCHTI, and provide the scientific basis for developing novel potential approaches to interrupting malaria transmission at the vertebrate host-mosquito vector interface. ..
- Human Reservoirs of Plasmodium vivax Transmission in the Peruvian AmazonJoseph M Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2010..vivax, and provide a rational basis for determining strategies to implement and deploy new transmission- blocking vaccines as one approach towards the future elimination of P. vivax malaria from the Amazon basin. ..
- International Leptospirosis Society Meeting 2007Joseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] Outcome of the meeting will be assessed by peer-reviewed publication and trainee publication and[unreadable] career advancement. ..
- Genetics of Innate Immunity in Human Leptospirosis in BrazilJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF BLOCKING MALARIA TRANSMISSIONJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Leptospirosis Transmission in the Peruvian AmazonJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Microarray Analysis of Leptospiral GenomesJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS OF CUTANEOUS LEISHMANIASISLynn Soong; Fiscal Year: 2010..Completion of this proposed study will aid in designing new control strategies for Leishmania and other chronic infections for which therapeutic/preventive interventions are not available. ..
- VISCERAL LEISHMANIASIS VACCINE - MURINE MODEL STUDIESDIANE MCMAHON PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2003..These experiments are directed towards the identification and optimization of effective vaccine candidates and delivery systems for VL. ..
- A CHEMICALLY SYNTHETIC ANTI-TOXIC VACCINE AGAINST MALARILouis Schofield; Fiscal Year: 2002..Clinical immunity to malaria is acquired considerably earlier than anti-parasite immunity, and it is possible that this is mediated by anti-toxin mechanisms. ..
- Hamster Models and Reagents for Biodefense ResearchLynn Soong; Fiscal Year: 2004..This proposal represents a distinct area of investigation and should open numerous avenues for the use of hamsters in the study of pathogens that represent important bioterrorism and emerging disease threats. ..
- Characterization of a vaccine against Chlamydia trachomatisRHEA COLER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeting Cysteine Proteases: Antiparasitic ChemotherapyJames McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2008..No Abstract Provided. ..
- Integrated Functional Genomics: On the road to leishmaniasis control Dormy HouseDIANE MCMAHON PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2007..To formulate key short and medium term objectives for basic research (experimental and[unreadable] clinical), with high potential for translation into new avenues for leishmaniasis control. ..
- STUDIES OF DIFFERENTIALLY EXPRESSED LEISHMANIA ANTIGENSDIANE MCMAHON PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2008..provided by the applicant): This proposal is focused upon the intracellular amastigote stage of Leishmania mexicana complex parasites...
- IL 12 RESPONSIVENESS DURING L AMAZONENSIS INFECTIONDouglas Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004..The efforts of this proposal will have direct application to the development of more effective immunomodulatory regimes for Leishmania and other infectious diseases. ..
- Host Protein Degradation by Schistosome ParasitesJames McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- High Throughput Assay for Screening Compounds(RMI)James McKerrow; Fiscal Year: 2005..Computational and informatics capability is in place to acquire, store and cross-reference this data, and provide access to the scientific community through an open-source website. ..
- IMMUNOBIOLOGY OF MALARIA GLYCOSYLPHOSPHATIDYLINOSITOLLouis Schofield; Fiscal Year: 2001..These areas are central to understanding the host/parasite interaction and the development of effective vaccines to several protozoal pathogens. ..