Summary: A protozoan parasite that occurs primarily in subtropical and temperate areas. It is the causal agent of quartan malaria. As the parasite grows it exhibits little ameboid activity.
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Identification of Plasmodium malariae, a human malaria parasite, in imported chimpanzeesToshiyuki Hayakawa
Laboratory of Malariology, International Research Center of Infectious Diseases, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
PLoS ONE 4:e7412. 2009..Using the sequences of small subunit rRNA and the mitochondrial genome, we identified infection of Plasmodium malariae, a human malaria parasite, in two chimpanzees that were imported about thirty years ago...
- A large focus of naturally acquired Plasmodium knowlesi infections in human beingsBalbir Singh
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Lancet 363:1017-24. 2004..cases in 1999 for the Kapit division of Malaysian Borneo had routinely been identified by microscopy as Plasmodium malariae, although these infections appeared atypical and a nested PCR assay failed to identify P malariae DNA...
- Plasmodium malariae: parasite and diseaseWilliam E Collins
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Division of Parasitic Diseases, Chamblee, GA 30341, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 20:579-92. 2007A review of the life history of Plasmodium malariae, the quartan malaria parasite of humans, is presented...
- Comparative population structure of Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium falciparum under different transmission settings in MalawiMarian C Bruce
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Level 5, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, Glasgow University, 120 University Place, Glasgow, G12 8TA, UK
Malar J 10:38. 2011Described here is the first population genetic study of Plasmodium malariae, the causative agent of quartan malaria. Although not as deadly as Plasmodium falciparum, P...
- Deaths due to Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in Sabah, Malaysia: association with reporting as Plasmodium malariae and delayed parenteral artesunateGiri S Rajahram
Infectious Diseases Department, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Karung Berkunci No, 2029, Jalan Penampang, Kota Kinabalu, 88560 Sabah, Malaysia
Malar J 11:284. 2012..malaria in Sabah, Malaysia, but is morphologically indistinguishable from and still commonly reported as Plasmodium malariae, despite the paucity of this species in Sabah...
- In vivo and in vitro efficacy of chloroquine against Plasmodium malariae and P. ovale in Papua, IndonesiaH Siswantoro
National Institute of Health Research and Development, Jakarta, Indonesia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:197-202. 2011Reports of potential drug-resistant strains of Plasmodium malariae in western Indonesia raise concerns that chloroquine resistance may be emerging in P. malariae and P. ovale...
- Plasmodium malariae in BangladeshW Rahman
Chittagong Medical College Hospital, Chittagong, Bangladesh
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:78-80. 2010We describe a 32-year-old Bangladeshi male presenting with severe malaria caused by a mono-infection with Plasmodium malariae. Rosetting of infected and uninfected erythrocytes, a putative virulence factor in falciparum malaria, was ..
- Plasmodium falciparum and P. malariae epidemiology in a West African villageC Boudin
, , La Tronche, France
Bull World Health Organ 69:199-205. 1991..falciparum-infected bites per year but only 22 of P. malariae. The P. falciparum parasite indices were maximum during the middle of the rainy season (August), while those for P. malariae reached a peak during the dry season (February)...
- High prevalence and gender bias in distribution of Plasmodium malariae infection in central east-coast IndiaG Dhangadamajhi
Regional Medical Research Centre ICMR, Bhubaneswar 751023, Orissa, India
Trop Biomed 26:326-33. 2009..Malaria prevalence was 81.4% and 43.4% by PCR and microscopy respectively. Moreover, while PCR detected Plasmodium malariae DNA in 108 (44.6%), microscopic examination detected only 20 (8...
- A case of imported malaria: the first report of a Plasmodium malariae infection in Sri Lanka after 37 yearsH A C Hapuarachchi
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, PO Box 6, Thalagolla Road, Ragama, Sri Lanka
Ceylon Med J 53:53-4. 2008..The history strongly indicated that the infection had been acquired from Malawi. The patient had liver dysfunction and a transient glomerulonephritis, both of which subsided with antimalarial treatment...
- Transfusion-transmitted malaria: case report of asymptomatic donor harboring Plasmodium malariaePatricia Scuracchio
Banco de Sangue de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 53:55-9. 2011..Thick blood smears confirmed Plasmodium malariae. All donors lived in Sao Paulo and one of them (Donor 045-0) showed positive hemoscopy and PCR...
- Anopheles darlingi bionomics and transmission of Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium malariae in Amerindian villages of the Upper-Maroni Amazonian forest, French GuianaRomain Girod
Medical Entomology Unit, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, Cayenne Cedex, Guyane Francaise
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:702-10. 2008..A total of 14 An. darlingi were found infected with Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax or Plasmodium malariae. The annual circumsporozoite indices were 0.15, 0.14 and 0...
- Plasmodium malariae in Haitian refugees, JamaicaJohn F Lindo
University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica
Emerg Infect Dis 13:931-3. 2007..malariae. PCR confirmed the P. malariae and P. falciparum but not P. vivax infections. DNA sequencing and rRNA gene sequences showed transmission of P. malariae. This report confirms that P. malariae is still being transmitted in Haiti...
- Multiplex real-time PCR detection of P. falciparum, P. vivax and P. malariae in human blood samplesVincent Veron
Laboratoire Hospitalo universitaire de Parasitologie et Mycologie Médicale, Equipe EA3593, UFR de Medecine, Universite des Antilles et de la Guyane, Cayenne, French Guiana
Exp Parasitol 121:346-51. 2009..PCR assays were developed to diagnose three human parasites: Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium malariae. TaqMan duplex real-time PCR was evaluated in 263 blood samples of suspected malaria patients by comparing ..
- Detection of four Plasmodium species in blood from humans by 18S rRNA gene subunit-based and species-specific real-time PCR assaysMathieu Rougemont
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 42:5636-43. 2004..This suggests a role of quantitative PCR for the monitoring of patients receiving antimalaria therapy...
- [Relapse of Plasmodium malariae malaria 20 years after living in an endemic area]Emna Siala
Laboratoire de parasitologie clinique, Institut Pasteur de Tunis
Presse Med 34:371-2. 2005..Malaria has been eradicated in Tunisia since 1979. Although it continues to be evoked in the case of fever after travel to an endemic zone, its diagnosis is however difficult during relapses, notably when they are delayed...
- Isolation and characterization of the MSP1 genes from Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovaleLarry Birkenmeyer
Abbott Diagnostics, Infectious Diseases R and D, Dept 09NB, Bldg AP20, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6015, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:996-1003. 2010..and Plasmodium vivax, this gene has not been identified for the other two major human-infectious species, Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovale. MSP1 genes from these two species were isolated from Cameroon blood donor samples...
- Evidence for the efficacy of artesunate in asymptomatic Plasmodium malariae infectionsSteffen Borrmann
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, B P 118, Gabon
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:751-4. 2002This study evaluated the efficacy and safety of a 3-day course of artesunate (4 mg/kg/day) for asymptomatic Plasmodium malariae infections...
- Plasmodium species co-infection as a cause of treatment failureA Smith
Department of General Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, NSW, Australia
Travel Med Infect Dis 9:306-9. 2011We report a case of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium malariae coinfection with associated failure of clinical response to artemether + lumefantrine therapy...
- Re-emergence of Plasmodium malariae in Trinidad, West IndiesD D Chadee
Insect Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, St Joseph, Trinidad
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 93:467-75. 1999A focus of Plasmodium malariae infection has recently occurred on the island of Trinidad, some 30 years after a successful eradication programme. Examination of bloodsmears revealed 22 cases of P...
- [Congenital malaria due to Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium malariae]W Zenz
Universitätsklinik für Kinder und Jugendheilkunde Graz
Wien Klin Wochenschr 112:459-61. 2000..3 g/l. In the blood smear Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium malariae were detected...
- Structure of the aspartic protease plasmepsin 4 from the malarial parasite Plasmodium malariae bound to an allophenylnorstatine-based inhibitorJose C Clemente
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, USA
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 62:246-52. 2006..Inhibition analysis of PmPM4 also suggests the potential for allophenylnorstatine-based compounds to be effective against all species of malaria infecting humans and for the future development of a broad-based inhibitor...
- Plasmodium malariae infection boosts Plasmodium falciparum gametocyte productionF Ellis McKenzie
Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:411-4. 2002..of malaria therapy patients sequentially or simultaneously inoculated with Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium malariae. Gametocyte production was enhanced in P. falciparum by prior or concurrent P...
- [The epidemiology of malaria in the southwestern forests of the Ivory Coast (Tai region)]I Nzeyimana
Centre Pierre Richet, 01 B P 1500, Bouaké 01, Cote d Ivoire
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 95:89-94. 2002..This deterioration has probably been caused by demographic pressure resulting from internal and foreign immigration to the Taï region and more especially by the influx of Liberian refugees...
- Increased Plasmodium falciparum gametocyte production in mixed infections with P. malariaeJ Teun Bousema
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University, Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:442-8. 2008..15, 95% confidence interval = 0.99-4.65 and 2.39, 1.58-3.63) but not in a study from Nigeria. These data suggest that co-infection with P. malariae is correlated with increased P. falciparum gametocytemia...
- Identification and typing of Cameroonian isolates of P. malariae using monoclonal antibodies against P. brasilianumSedigheh Zakeri
Wolfson Unit of Tropical Immunology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, United Kingdom
Acta Trop 99:97-101. 2006..brasilianum were used to demonstrate, for the first time, antigenic diversity in natural populations of Plasmodium malariae isolates and as diagnostic tool to detect low parasitaemia P. malariae infection...
- Genetic analysis of the dihydrofolate reductase-thymidylate synthase gene from geographically diverse isolates of Plasmodium malariaeNaowarat Tanomsing
Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3523-30. 2007b>Plasmodium malariae, the parasite responsible for quartan malaria, is transmitted in most areas of malaria endemicity and is associated with significant morbidity...
- Characterization and application of multiple genetic markers for Plasmodium malariaeM C Bruce
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, Glasgow University, 120 University Place, Glasgow G12 8TA, UK
Parasitology 134:637-50. 2007b>Plasmodium malariae, a protozoan parasite that causes malaria in humans, has a global distribution in tropical and subtropical regions and is commonly found in sympatry with other Plasmodium species of humans...
- Cross-species regulation of Plasmodium parasitemia in semi-immune children from Papua New GuineaMarian C Bruce
Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Division of Infection and Immunity, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Trends Parasitol 19:271-7. 2003..A model of how multiple immune responses could act in concert to explain these within-host dynamics are discussed here in relation to observed epidemiological patterns of mixed-species infections...
- [Epidemiology of malaria in a village of Sudanese savannah area in Mali (Bancoumana). 2. Entomo-parasitological and clinical study ]A Dolo
Dép d épidémiologie des affections parasitaires, Faculte de Medecine, de pharmacie et d odonto stomalogie, BP 1805, Bamako, Mali
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:308-12. 2003..This reduction of parasitologic index between 1993 and 1994 may be related to an increase of anti-malarial drug use in the population. Our results show that malaria is hyperendemic in the village of Bancoumana...
- High prevalence of Plamodium malariae infections in a Brazilian Amazon endemic area (Apiacás-Mato Grosso State) as detected by polymerase chain reactionKézia K G Scopel
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, 31270 901 Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Acta Trop 90:61-4. 2004b>Plasmodium malariae is commonly confounded with Plasmodium vivax at the microscopic examination of thick blood smear...
- Malaria clusters among illegal Chinese immigrants to Europe through AfricaZeno Bisoffi
Centro per le Malattie Tropicali, Ospedale S Cuore, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1177-8. 2003..A further cluster of 12 was reported in August, 2002. Several immigrants traveled by air, making the risk of introducing sudden acute respiratory syndrome a possibility should such illegal immigrations continue...
- Plasmodium malariae infection in spite of previous anti-malarial medicationIrmela Müller-Stöver
Tropenmedizinische Ambulanz, Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Universitatsklinikum Dusseldorf, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Moorenstr 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Parasitol Res 102:547-50. 2008b>Plasmodium malariae is regarded as usually being susceptible to all anti-malarials whether applied for prophylaxis or treatment. We report on three cases of P...
- Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovale--the "bashful" malaria parasitesIvo Mueller
Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, Madang MAD511, Papua New Guinea
Trends Parasitol 23:278-83. 2007Although Plasmodium malariae was first described as an infectious disease of humans by Golgi in 1886 and Plasmodium ovale identified by Stevens in 1922, there are still large gaps in our knowledge of the importance of these infections as ..
- Plasmodium malariae blood-stage dynamicsF E McKenzie
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Parasitol 87:626-37. 2001..S. neurosyphilis patients infected with the USPHS strain of Plasmodium malariae, for malariatherapy, focusing on the 84 charts for which more than 35 days of patency preceded intervention ..
- Monkeys of the rainforest in French Guiana are natural reservoirs for P. brasilianum/P. malariae malariaT Fandeur
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Moleculaire, Institut Pasteur de Guyane, Cayenne, French Guiana
Parasitology 120:11-21. 2000..These results have implications for the interpretation of the current epidemiological situation in French Guiana...
- Cross-species interactions between malaria parasites in humansM C Bruce
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3FY, UK
Science 287:845-8. 2000..This regulation, in combination with species- and genotype-specific immune responses, results in nonindependent, sequential episodes of infection with each species...
- Acute renal failure in Plasmodium malariae infectionS Neri
Department of Internal Medicine, Unit of Nephrology, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Neth J Med 66:166-8. 2008..The infecting species was Plasmodium malariae, and the patient developed acute renal failure, severe thrombocytopenia, and hepatic failure...
- Extended clearance time after treatment of infections with Plasmodium malariae may not be indicative of resistance to chloroquineWilllam E Collins
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U S Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:406-10. 2002A retrospective examination was made of archival data on the response of Plasmodium malariae infections in humans to chloroquine. The clearance time for P. malariae was longer than that for P. falciparum and P. vivax. Of 100 P...
- Association of haptoglobin levels with age, parasite density, and haptoglobin genotype in a malaria-endemic area of GabonFreya J I Fowkes
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research and Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:26-30. 2006..This suggests that in the presence of greater parasite-induced hemolysis, older children are capable of increased production of Hp. Sickle cell trait and ABO blood group was not associated with Hp levels in this population...
- Rapid immunochromatographic malarial antigen detection unreliable for detecting Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovaleM P Grobusch
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Eberhard Karls University, Wilhelmstrasse 27, 72074 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:818-20. 2002..tests for the rapid detection of plasmodial antigen in cases of infection with Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae, the products were evaluated in four centers and a search of the relevant literature was performed...
- How prevalent are Plasmodium ovale and P. malariae in East Asia?F Kawamoto
Department of International Health, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Showa, Nagoya, Japan
Parasitol Today 15:422-6. 1999Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae, two of the four human malaria parasites, are usually found at very low prevalence in East Asia, even in areas with intense malaria transmission...
- Short report: prevalence and chloroquine sensitivity of Plasmodium malariae in MadagascarCéline Barnadas
Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, University Lyon 1, Lyon, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:1039-42. 2007..The aims were (i) to update our knowledge of the burden of Plasmodium malariae infection and (ii) to assess the therapeutic efficacy of chloroquine for uncomplicated quartan malaria...
- Unusual plasmodium malariae-like parasites in southeast AsiaFumihiko Kawamoto
Department of International Health, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
J Parasitol 88:350-7. 2002During malaria surveys in Myanmar, 2 peculiar forms of Plasmodium malariae-like parasites were found. The morphologies of their early trophozoite stages were distinct from that of the typical P...
- Malaria in Wanokaka and Loli sub-districts, West Sumba District, East Nusa Tenggara Province, IndonesiaDin Syafruddin
Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:733-7. 2006..The findings indicate that the malaria incidence and transmission in the area are relatively high and that further exploration is warranted to establish a precise malaria control program...
- [Malaria. Primary symptoms: fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea]G Schulthess
Medizinische Poliklinik Universitätsspital Zürich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:255-60; quiz 261. 2006
- Mixed Plasmodium falciparum-Plasmodium malariae infection and hemoglobin SC disease: a case reportLeonardo Chianura
Department of Infectious Diseases, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital, Milano, Italy
J Travel Med 13:115-8. 2006..We present a case of mixed Plasmodium falciparum-Plasmodium malariae infection complicating HbSC disease in a 34-year-old Ghanaian immigrant...
- Evaluation of a new plate hybridization assay for the laboratory diagnosis of imported malaria in ItalyA Calderaro
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Section of Microbiology, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
New Microbiol 27:163-71. 2004..3 P. malariae parasites/microliter and 0.4 P. ovale parasites/microliter of whole blood, respectively. This assay could be successfully applied to the laboratory diagnosis of malaria as a useful aid to microscopy...
- Recombinant expression and enzymatic subsite characterization of plasmepsin 4 from the four Plasmodium species infecting manTang Li
Department of Pathobiology, University of Florida, P O Box 110880, Gainesville, FL 32611 0880, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 135:101-9. 2004Plasmepsin 4 from Plasmodium falciparum and orthologs from Plasmodium malariae, Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium vivax have been expressed in recombinant form, and properties of the active site of each enzyme characterized by kinetic ..
- Malaria control in Papua New Guinea results in complex epidemiological changesIvo Mueller
Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, Goroka, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
P N G Med J 48:151-7. 2005..The example of Karimui indicates that unsustained control can lead to changes in malaria patterns that may leave a population worse off...
- Diagnosis of mixed Plasmodium malariae and P. vivax infection in a development aid volunteer by examination of bone-marrow specimens by real-time PCRCan Imirzalioglu
Center for Tropical Diseases and Travel Medicine, Hospital of the Justus Liebig University Giessen, Institute of Medical Microbiology, Frankfurter Strasse 107, Giessen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:2307-10. 2006Mixed Plasmodium malariae and P. vivax infections in humans are reported very infrequently. The case of a 27-year-old male who sustained malaria quartana/tertiana caused by an unbalanced mixed P. malariae-P...
- Parasitological and clinical efficacy of standard treatment regimens against Plasmodium falciparum, P. vivax and P. malariae in Papua New GuineaBlaise Genton
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
P N G Med J 48:141-50. 2005....
- Active-site specificity of digestive aspartic peptidases from the four species of Plasmodium that infect humans using chromogenic combinatorial peptide librariesBret B Beyer
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Biochemistry 44:1768-79. 2005..Some of these compounds were potent inhibitors of the five plasmepsins, and their possible binding modes were analyzed by computational methods...
- Evaluation of a real-time PCR assay for malaria diagnosis in patients from Vietnam and in returned travellersThi Kim Duy Vo
Universite de la Mediterranee, EA 864, IFR 48, Marseille, France University of Hue, 20 Le Loi, Hue, Vietnam
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:422-8. 2007..This new real-time PCR is a rapid, accurate and efficient method for malaria diagnosis in returned travellers as well as for epidemiological studies or antimalarial efficiency trials in the field...
- [A history of Malaria from and for a popular point of view]D Crotti
L P in Parassitologia e Microbiologia Medica, Pilonico Paterno 4, 06080 Pianello, Perugia
Infez Med 13:265-70. 2005..In other words, the author dwells upon the literary, the customary, as well as on the historic and cultural aspects, with special attention to the significance of the popular importance of this problem in Italy...
- Detection and identification of human Plasmodium species with real-time quantitative nucleic acid sequence-based amplificationPetra F Mens
Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen Royal Tropical Institute, KIT Biomedical Research, Meibergdreef 39, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Malar J 5:80. 2006..Rapid diagnostic tests based on Plasmodium antigen detection do often not allow for species discrimination as microscopy does, but also become insensitive at <100 parasites/microl...
- Space-time clustering of childhood malaria at the household level: a dynamic cohort in a Mali villageJean Gaudart
Medical Statistics and Informatics Research Team, LIF UMR 6166 CNRS Aix Marseille University, Faculty of Medicine, 27 Bd Jean Moulin 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
BMC Public Health 6:286. 2006..The aim of this study was to identify, spatially and temporally, high-risk zones of malaria, at the household level (resolution of 1 to 3 m)...
- Outpatient treatment of malaria in recently arrived African migrantsDesmond T Chih
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 185:598-601. 2006..To describe the clinical features and management of African migrants recently arrived in Western Australia and subsequently diagnosed with malaria...
- Community-randomized trial of lambdacyhalothrin-treated hammock nets for malaria control in Yanomami communities in the Amazon region of VenezuelaM Magris
Centro Amazónico de Investigación y Control de Enfermedades Tropicales Simón Bolivar, Puerto Ayacucho, Estado Amazonas, Venezuela
Trop Med Int Health 12:392-403. 2007..This is the first community-level epidemiological trial to show that ITHN are highly effective against malaria transmitted by Anopheles darlingi...
- Qualitative comparison of qualitative buffy coat and light microscopy in malaria diagnosisA F Fagbenro-Beyioku
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Trop Doct 37:60-1. 2007
- [Current data on malaria in metropolitan France]M Danis
Centre National de Référence pour les Maladies d Importation, ISD, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris
Med Trop (Mars) 62:214-8. 2002..5% involving Plasmodium ovale and 1.3% involving Plasmodium malariae. Attacks were clinically uncomplicated in 90 to 95% of cases and severe in 2 to 5% including fatal ..
- [Two cases of mixed infection of malaria diagnosed by PCR method]Shusaku Haranaga
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:571-5. 2002..vivax and Plasmodium malariae. The other was a 54 year-old female suffering from general fatigue...
- Chloroquine for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in GuyanaJ K Baird
U S Naval Medical Research Unit 2, American Embassy Jakarta, Fleet Post Office Asia Pacific 96520 8132, U S A
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:339-48. 2002..e. <100 ng/ml). Taken together, the results indicate a high risk of therapeutic failure of CQ against P. falciparum but also indicate that resistance to CQ in P. vivax occurs infrequently in Guyana...
- Molecular characterisation of airport malaria: four cases in France during summer 1999S Jafari
Centre National de Reference pour la Chimiosensibilite du Paludisme, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, 46, rue Henri Huchard, 75877 Paris, France
Parasite 9:187-91. 2002..In vitro susceptibility data did not confirm or rule out this hypothesis because isolates had the same profile of susceptibility to the tested drugs...
- Level and dynamics of malaria transmission and morbidity in an equatorial area of South CameroonS Bonnet
OCEAC, Yaounde, Cameroon
Trop Med Int Health 7:249-56. 2002..16% and the same morbidity of 0.17-0.5 attacks/person/year. Plasmodium malariae prevalence was 14 vs. 16%...
- Minor liver profile dysfunctions in Plasmodium vivax, P. malaria and P. ovale patients and normalization after treatmentNoppadon Tangpukdee
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Korean J Parasitol 44:295-302. 2006..These minor abnormalities returned to normal within a few weeks after treatment with therapies based on artemisinin derivatives...
- Failure to detect Plasmodium vivax in West and Central Africa by PCR species typingRichard L Culleton
Laboratory of Malariology, International Research Centre of Infectious Diseases, Research Institute of Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Malar J 7:174. 2008..vivax malaria after visiting this region. An attempt was made, therefore, to detect the presence of P. vivax parasites in blood samples collected from the indigenous populations of west and central Africa...
- Clinical evaluation of antimalarial regimens in JapanH Ohtomo
Department of Parasitology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 264:513-20. 1987....
- Imported malaria in Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. (1968-1986)D D Chadee
Insect Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, Trinidad
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 83:107-14. 1989..Trinidadians of African and East Indian descent accounted for 78% of all imported malaria cases. Malaria resistance and relapse are discussed. The need to maintain port surveillance is emphasized...
- Epidemiology of highland malaria in western KenyaM K Arness
Disease Epidemiology and Surveillance, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
East Afr Med J 80:253-9. 2003....
- Treatment history and treatment dose are important determinants of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine efficacy in children with uncomplicated malaria in Western KenyaDianne J Terlouw
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Infect Dis 187:467-76. 2003..Many age-based dose recommendations need urgent revision, because SP is increasingly used as first-line treatment in sub-Saharan Africa...
- [Treatment of malaria in children: 1. Uncomplicated malaria]P Imbert
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital d Instruction des armees BEGIN, 69, avenue de Paris, 94163 Saint Mandé, France
Med Trop (Mars) 62:554-60. 2002..Widespread use of these therapies to prevent the appearance and extension of resistance is now undergoing evaluation...
- Epidemiologic aspects of the malaria transmission cycle in an area of very low incidence in BrazilCrispim Cerutti
Department of Social Medicine, Biomedical Center, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Maruípe, Vitoria ES, Brazil
Malar J 6:33. 2007..Extra-Amazonian autochthonous Plasmodium vivax infections have been reported in mountainous regions surrounded by the Atlantic Forest in Espírito Santo state, Brazil...
- Prevalence and level of antibodies to the circumsporozoite protein of human malaria parasites in five states of the Amazon region of BrazilMercia E Arruda
Departamento de Imunologia, CPqAM, FIOCRUZ, Recife, PE, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:367-71. 2007..vivax-like were more frequent in Rondônia, Pará, and Mato Grosso. The high frequency of reactions to P. malariae in most of the areas suggests that the infection by this Plasmodium species has been underestimated in Brazil...
- Drug treatment of malaria in childrenChandy C John
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:649-51. 2003
- [Triple malaria infection in twin sisters from the Democratic Republic of Congo]G Galeazzi
Unité de Parasitologie Mycologie, Hôpital Louis Mourier 92701 Colombes, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:96-8. 2003..The biological tests results were similar. They responded well to treatment. We point out the difficulty in recognizing the concomitant presence of several species of hematozoaire on blood smear...
- Comparison of Quantitative Buffy Coat technique (QBC) with Giemsa-stained Thick Film (GTF) for diagnosis of malariaG O Adeoye
Department of Zoology, University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Parasitol Int 56:308-12. 2007..However, its speed and ease of use make it an important new tool for the diagnosis of malaria...
- Malaria in Austria 1990-2000R Strauss
Federal Ministry for Social Security and Generations, Section Public Health, Vienna, Austria
Euro Surveill 8:91-6. 2003..4%) but only half of them (n=367, 48.8%) gave detailed information on the drug used. Data on compliance were obtained for only 45.4% of the cases, with only about 60% of patients completing the full course of prophylaxis...
- Plasmodium malariae in East TimorReg Bragonier
HealthNet International, Bobonaro District, East Timor
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 33:689-90. 2002..vivax, six individuals with P. malariae infection were identified (prevalence 0.57%). We believe these are the first reported cases of P. malariae from the island of Timor...
- Evaluation of the intra- and inter-specific genetic variability of Plasmodium lactate dehydrogenaseArthur M Talman
Unité d Epidémiologie Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur in Cambodia 5 Boulevard Monivong BP983, Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia
Malar J 6:140. 2007..However a characterization of the efficiency of these tests and the proteins they detect is needed to maximize RDT sensitivity...
- [Clinical evaluation of antimalarial drugs]K Tanabe
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Tokyo
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 64:668-73. 1990..Recovery periods from fever and parasitemia were compared between chloroquine and Fansidar cases.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- High sensitivity detection of Plasmodium species reveals positive correlations between infections of different species, shifts in age distribution and reduced local variation in Papua New GuineaIvo Mueller
Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, Goroka, Papua New Guinea
Malar J 8:41. 2009..consistently less common than expect in areas co-endemic for Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium malariae. The development of a high-throughput molecular species diagnostic assay now enables routine PCR-based ..
- Implementation of a novel PCR based method for detecting malaria parasites from naturally infected mosquitoes in Papua New GuineaArif U Hasan
Department of International Medical Zoology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750 1, Ikenobe, Miki, Kita, Kagawa, 761 0793 Japan
Malar J 8:182. 2009..The objective of this study was to introduce an effective PCR-based method for detecting Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum from the field-caught mosquitoes of Papua New Guinea...
- Test characteristics of the SD FK80 Plasmodium falciparum/Plasmodium vivax malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic settingPhilippe Gillet
Department of Clinical Medicine, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Malar J 8:262. 2009..The present study assessed its performance in a non-endemic setting...
- Malaria--a major health problem within an oil palm plantation around Popondetta, Papua New GuineaBianca Pluess
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 8:56. 2009..This study provides an overview of the malaria epidemiology within an oil palm plantation in Popondetta, south-eastern Papua New Guinea, its implication for the company with its employees and their families and the potential for control...
- Malaria in Brazil: an overviewJoseli Oliveira-Ferreira
Laboratório de Pesquisa em Malária, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Pavilhão Leônidas Deane 5 degrees andar, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, RJ CEP 21 045 900, RJ Brazil
Malar J 9:115. 2010..vivax accounts for 83,7% of registered cases, while Plasmodium falciparum is responsible for 16,3% and Plasmodium malariae is seldom observed...
- Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans is widely distributed and potentially life threateningJanet Cox-Singh
Malaria Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Clin Infect Dis 46:165-71. 2008Until recently, Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans was misdiagnosed as Plasmodium malariae malaria. The objectives of the present study were to determine the geographic distribution of P...
- Natural Plasmodium infections in Brazilian wild monkeys: reservoirs for human infections?Ana Maria Ribeiro de Castro Duarte
Laboratório de Bioquímica e Biologia Molecular, Superintendência de Controle de Endemias SUCEN, Secretaria de Estado da Saúde, Rua Paula Souza 166, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Trop 107:179-85. 2008..3% or 8/71 (5.6% for Plasmodium malariae and 5.6% for Plasmodium vivax) and one specimen was positive for Plasmodium falciparum (1...
- Sub-microscopic malaria cases and mixed malaria infection in a remote area of high malaria endemicity in Rattanakiri province, Cambodia: implication for malaria eliminationNicolas Steenkeste
Unité d Epidémiologie Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 9:108. 2010....
- Malaria infection and human evolutionS Sabbatani
Infectious Diseases, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna Internal Medicine, Budrio General Hospital, Budrio, Italy
Infez Med 18:54-74. 2010..plasmodia causing malaria have evolved in two ways, in biological and phylogenetic terms: Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovale appear to have either coevolved with human mankind, or encountered human species ..
- Evaluation and optimization of membrane feeding compared to direct feeding as an assay for infectivityMouctar Diallo
Malaria Research and Training Center, University of Bamako, Bamako, Mali
Malar J 7:248. 2008..Anopheles gambiae s.l is the main vector responsible of Plasmodium falciparum transmission in Bancoumana and represents about 90% of the laboratory findings, whereas Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium ovale together represent only 10%.
- Moderate transmission but high prevalence of malaria in MadagascarVincent Robert
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Int J Parasitol 36:1273-81. 2006..falciparum 78.9%, P. vivax 19.4%, Plasmodium malariae 1.0% and Plasmodium ovale 0.7%...
- Plasmepsin 4, the food vacuole aspartic proteinase found in all Plasmodium spp. infecting manJohn B Dame
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Box 110880, Gainesville, FL 32611 0880, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 130:1-12. 2003..Genes encoding the ortholog of PfPM4 have been cloned from Plasmodium ovale, Plasmodium malariae, and P. vivax. In addition, P...
- Epidemiology of travel-related malaria in a non-malarious area in Saudi ArabiaJaffar A Al-Tawfiq
Internal Medicine Services Division, PO Box 76, Room A 420B, Building 61, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Saudi Aramco, Dhahran 31311, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 27:86-9. 2006..The study describes the epidemiology of malaria in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia and the species of Plasmodium causing the disease and the associated factors...
- Evaluation of the SD FK70 malaria Ag Plasmodium vivax rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic settingPhilippe Gillet
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Malar J 8:129. 2009....
- PCR-based detection of Plasmodium in Anopheles mosquitoes: a comparison of a new high-throughput assay with existing methodsChris Bass
Department of Biological Chemistry, Center for Sustainable Pest and Disease Management, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, UK
Malar J 7:177. 2008..the four malaria-causing Plasmodium species (Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae) within their mosquito hosts is an essential component of vector control programmes...
- Prevalence of parasitic diseases among nomadic Fulanis of south-eastern NigeriaJude C Anosike
Nomadic Reseach Program Department of Animal and Environmental Biology, Imo State University, Owerri, PMB 2000 Owerri, Nigeria
Ann Agric Environ Med 11:221-5. 2004..Of these, 98 (42.4%) were infected with one or more of 14 parasitic species, of which Plasmodium malariae had the highest prevalence (15.3%)...
- Evaluation of FRET real-time PCR assay for rapid detection and differentiation of Plasmodium species in returning travellers and migrantsInnocent Safeukui
Pôle de Biologie Moléculaire, CHU de Bordeaux, Hopital Pellegrin, Place Amelie Raba Leon, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Malar J 7:70. 2008..with simultaneous differentiation of Plasmodium falciparum from the three other Plasmodium species (Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae) in febrile returning travellers and migrants was developed and evaluated.
- Plasmodium knowlesi from archival blood films: further evidence that human infections are widely distributed and not newly emergent in Malaysian BorneoKim Sung Lee
Malaria Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Unversiti Malaysia Sarawak, 93150 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, Malaysia
Int J Parasitol 39:1125-8. 2009Human infections with Plasmodium knowlesi have been misdiagnosed by microscopy as Plasmodium malariae due to their morphological similarities. Although microscopy-identified P...
- African apes as reservoirs of Plasmodium falciparum and the origin and diversification of the Laverania subgenusLinda Duval
Laboratoire de Biologie fonctionnelle des protozoaires, Unité Scientifique du Muséum 504, Museum national d histoire naturelle, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:10561-6. 2010..other chimpanzee samples are different from those in the ape clade: two are Plasmodium ovale, and one is Plasmodium malariae. That is, we have found three human Plasmodium parasites in chimpanzees...
- Comparison of PCR and microscopy for the detection of asymptomatic malaria in a Plasmodium falciparum/vivax endemic area in ThailandRussell E Coleman
Departments of Entomology and Immunology, US Army Medical Component, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Malar J 5:121. 2006..The main objective of this study was to compare the performance of nested PCR with expert microscopy as a means of detecting Plasmodium parasites during active malaria surveillance in western Thailand...
- IN VITRO CULTIVATION/MALARIA PARASITE PLASMODIUM VIVAXH Lanners; Fiscal Year: 1990..Except for P. falciparum, no other human malaria parasite (P. vivax, Plasmodium ovale, Plasmodium malariae) has been continuously cultivated in vitro...
- New Role for a Conserved Plasmodium Transcription FactorLawrence W Bergman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Four species of Plasmodium are infectious to humans: Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium malariae, Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium vivax...
- Transmucosal Intra-Oral Drug Delivery System for THCMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Compositions for Prevention/Prophylactic Treatment of Poison Ivy DermatitisMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal addresses a major public health problem, namely contact allergic dermatitis and promises the development of an effective agent to address this problem. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The effect of mixed Plasmodium infections on morbidityIvo Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PLASMODIUM VIVAX MSP-3 AND MSP-9 AS VACCINE IMMUNOGENESMary Galinski; Fiscal Year: 2007..vivax vaccine candidates based on these antigens and also serve to establish reliable procedures to test and evaluate antigens in non-human primate models for safety, immunogenicity and efficacy. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Antigenic Variation in MalariaMary R Galinski; Fiscal Year: 2010....