Summary: A genus of ascarid nematodes commonly parasitic in the intestines of cats and dogs.
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Immunodiagnosis of ocular toxocariasis using Western-blot for the detection of specific anti-Toxocara IgG and CAP for the measurement of specific anti-Toxocara IgEJ F Magnaval
Service de Parasitologie, CHU Rangueil, 31403 Toulouse 4, France
J Helminthol 76:335-9. 2002..multicentric study was carried out to assess both the performance of Western-blot (WB) detecting specific anti-Toxocara IgG and that of CAP measuring specific IgE titre for the immunodiagnosis of ocular toxocariasis...
- Toxocariasis: clinical aspects, epidemiology, medical ecology, and molecular aspectsDickson Despommier
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 16:265-72. 2003....
- Toxocara cati: an underestimated zoonotic agentMaggie Fisher
Shernacre Cottage, Lower Howsell Road, Malvern, WR14 1UX, Worcestershire, UK
Trends Parasitol 19:167-70. 2003The role of Toxocara cati as a zoonosis is reviewed. It is suggested that, despite case histories of human infection in the literature, historical factors have led to T...
- Human toxocariasis: diagnosis, worldwide seroprevalences and clinical expression of the systemic and ocular formsG Rubinsky-Elefant
Laboratory of Seroepidemiology and Immunobiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine of São Paulo, Avenida Dr Eneas de Carvalho Aguiar 470, 05403 000, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 104:3-23. 2010..The causal agents are the nematode parasites Toxocara canis and T. cati, whose definitive hosts are dogs and cats, respectively...
- Highlights of human toxocariasisJ F Magnaval
Service de Parasitologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Rangueil 31403 Toulouse 4, France
Korean J Parasitol 39:1-11. 2001Human toxocariasis is a helminthozoonosis due to the migration of Toxocara species larvae through human organism...
- Toxocara infection in the United States: the relevance of poverty, geography and demography as risk factors, and implications for estimating county prevalencePeter Congdon
Department of Geography, Center for Statistics, Queen Mary University of London, London, E1 4NS, UK
Int J Public Health 56:15-24. 2011To estimate Toxocara infection rates by age, gender and ethnicity for US counties using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
- The complete mitochondrial genomes for three Toxocara species of human and animal health significanceMing wei Li
Laboratory of Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province 510642, PROC
BMC Genomics 9:224. 2008..b>Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati and Toxocara malaysiensis cause significant health problems in animals and humans...
- How common is human toxocariasis? Towards standardizing our knowledgeHuw Smith
Scottish Parasite Diagnostic Laboratory, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow G21 3UW, UK
Trends Parasitol 25:182-8. 2009..Expected outcomes should be capable of addressing the clinical and financial burdens of this treatable disease...
- Comparison of IgG-ELISA and IgG4-ELISA for Toxocara serodiagnosisRahmah Noordin
Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine, Suite 110, Eureka Complex, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
Acta Trop 93:57-62. 2005Diagnosis of human toxocariasis, caused by Toxocara canis or Toxocara cati, normally relies on a combination of the presence of clinical signs and symptoms backed by positive serology...
- Association between contamination of public squares and seropositivity for Toxocara spp. in childrenMarcos P Manini
Laboratory of General and Clinical Parasitology, University of Paraná UNIPAR, Praça Mascarenhas de Moraes s n 87501 000, Umuarama, PR, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 188:48-52. 2012A concomitant study was carried out, of the association of positive serology for Toxocara spp...
- Toxoplasma gondii and Toxocara spp. co-infectionJeffrey L Jones
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne, and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:35-9. 2008Toxoplasma gondii and Toxocara spp. infections can cause systemic and ocular disease...
- Toxocara cati infections in stray cats in northern IranM Sharif
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, PC 48168 95475, Sari, Iran
J Helminthol 81:63-6. 2007A cross-sectional survey was undertaken to study the prevalence and intensity of infection with Toxocara cati in 100 stray cats, from April to October 2004 in urban areas of Sari, northern Iran...
- Experimental Toxocara cati infection in gerbils and ratsMohammad Zibaei
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorram Abad, Iran
Korean J Parasitol 48:331-3. 2010Mongolian gerbils and Wistar rats were inoculated orally with 240 and 2,500 Toxocara cati embryonated eggs, respectively, to evaluate the larval recovery in different tissues and organs, such as the liver, lungs, heart, kidney, and ..
- Toxocara eggs shed by dogs and cats and their molecular and morphometric species-specific identification: is the finding of T. cati eggs shed by dogs of epidemiological relevance?A S Fahrion
Institute of Parasitology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 266a, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Parasitol 177:186-9. 2011Intestinal infections with Toxocara cati and Toxocara canis in their definitive host (felids and canids, respectively) are diagnosed by egg identification in faeces using coproscopical techniques...
- Toxocara infection and diminished lung function in a nationally representative sample from the United States populationMichael G Walsh
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, State University of New York, Downstate 450 Clarkson Avenue, Box 43, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Int J Parasitol 41:243-7. 2011..the differences in forced expiratory volume in 1s (FEV(1)) among participants with and without infection with Toxocara spp...
- Anti-Toxocara antibodies detected in children attending elementary school in Vitoria, State of Espírito Santo, Brazil: prevalence and associated factorsRoberta Paranhos Fragoso
Servico de Pediatria, Hospital Universitário Cassiano Antônio de Moraes, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, Vitoria, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 44:461-6. 2011The aim of this study was to evaluate the frequency of anti-Toxocara antibodies in serum from 7-year-old children attending elementary school in Vitória-ES, Brazil and to correlate these antibodies with socio-demographic factors, the ..
- Toxocara seroprevalence in schizophrenic patients in TurkeyMustafa Kaplan
Department of Medical Parasitology, Firat University, Faculty of Medicine, TR 23119 Elazig, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 49:224-9. 2008..To investigate the seroprevalence of toxocariasis in patients diagnosed as schizophrenia...
- Seroprevalence of human toxocariasis in DenmarkChristen R Stensvold
Laboratory of Parasitology, Department of Bacteriology, Mycology and Parasitology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:1372-3. 2009The seroprevalence of Toxocara in the Danish population was assessed from 3,247 sera from individuals originally screened for toxoplasmosis...
- Developmental age, physical fitness and Toxocara seroprevalence amongst lower-secondary students living in rural areas contaminated with Toxocara eggsW Jarosz
Department of Biology and Environmental Protection, University School of Physical Education, Królowej Jadwigi 27 39, 61 871 Poznan, Poland
Parasitology 137:53-63. 2010Scarce and inconclusive information on general biological impact of Toxocara invasion on paratenic hosts, and people in particular, has led us to undertake a comprehensive study of the problem...
- [Toxocariasis in adults]H Pelloux
Parasitologie Mycologie, CHU A Michallon, Grenoble, France
Rev Med Interne 25:201-6. 2004..It is due to the presence of larvae of roundworms belonging to the genus Toxocara in the human body. Clinical signs are often non-specific. The disease can be asymptomatic or can lead to death...
- Prevalence of Toxocara-induced liver granulomas, detected by immunohistochemistry, in a series of autopsies at a Children's Reference Hospital in Vitoria, ES, BrazilCarlos Musso
Nucleo de Doencas Infecciosas, Centro Biomedico, UFES, Av Marechal Campos 1468, 29040 091, Vitoria, ES, Brazil
Virchows Arch 450:411-7. 2007..larva migrans (VLM) granulomas in autopsies at a Children's Reference Hospital in Vitoria, ES Brazil, where anti-Toxocara antibodies are frequently detected in the serum of children admitted at the hospital...
- The relationship of public park accessibility to dogs to the presence of Toxocara species ova in the soilHamza Avcioglu
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 11:177-80. 2011This survey was conducted to determine prevalence of Toxocara spp. ova in public parks in Erzurum, Turkey...
- Toxocara infection in psychiatric inpatients: a case control seroprevalence studyCosme Alvarado-Esquivel
Department of Infectology, Faculty of Medicine and Nutrition, Juárez University of Durango State, Durango, Mexico
PLoS ONE 8:e62606. 2013..There is poor knowledge about the epidemiology of toxocariasis in psychiatric patients...
- Prevalence of Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina and Dirofilaria immitis in dogs in Chuncheon, Korea (2004)Yong Hun Kim
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 43:65-7. 2005The intestines and hearts of dogs were examined for Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina, and Dirofilaria immitis, after necropsy between June 26 and September 29, 2004 in Chuncheon, Korea. Of the 662 dogs examined, 6 were infected with T...
- PCR tools for the verification of the specific identity of ascaridoid nematodes from dogs and catsM W Li
Laboratory of Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University, 483 Wushan Street, Tianhe District, Guangzhou 510642, Guangdong Province, The People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Probes 21:349-54. 2007Based on the sequences of the internal transcribed spacers (ITS-1 and ITS-2) of nuclear ribosomal DNA (rDNA) of Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati, Toxocara malaysiensis and Toxascaris leonina, specific forward primers were designed in the ITS-..
- Toxocara and Ascaris seropositivity among patients suspected of visceral and ocular larva migrans in the Netherlands: trends from 1998 to 2009E Pinelli
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands, P O Box 1, 3720, BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:873-9. 2011b>Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati and Ascaris suum are roundworms of dogs, cats and pigs, respectively, that can also infect humans. These zoonotic helminths have a worldwide distribution and are also endemic in the Netherlands...
- Toxocariasis in waste pickers: a case control seroprevalence studyCosme Alvarado-Esquivel
Department of Infectology, Faculty of Medicine and Nutrition, Juárez University of Durango State, Durango, Mexico
PLoS ONE 8:e54897. 2013The epidemiology of Toxocara infection in humans in Mexico has been poorly explored. There is a lack of information about Toxocara infection in waste pickers.
- Toxocariasis in JapanNobuaki Akao
Section of Environmental Parasitology, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima 1 5 45, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8519 Japan
Parasitol Int 56:87-93. 2007..In this article, we will describe the critical characteristic features of toxocariasis alongside the contributions of Japanese researchers to a better understanding of the disease...
- Toxocara seropositivity, atopy and wheezing in children living in poor neighbourhoods in urban Latin AmericanLívia Ribeiro Mendonça
Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1886. 2012b>Toxocara canis and T. cati are parasites of dogs and cats, respectively, that infect humans and cause human toxocariasis. Infection may cause asthma-like symptoms but is often asymptomatic and is associated with a marked eosinophilia...
- Duplex quantitative real-time PCR assay for the detection and discrimination of the eggs of Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati (Nematoda, Ascaridoidea) in soil and fecal samplesJean François Durant
Centre de Technologies Moléculaires Appliquées, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Clos Chapelle aux Champs, 30 B1 30 24, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Parasit Vectors 5:288. 2012Toxocarosis is a zoonotic disease caused by Toxocara canis (T. canis) and/or Toxocara cati (T. cati), two worldwide distributed roundworms which are parasites of canids and felids, respectively...
- Prevalence of Toxocara cati and other parasites in cats' faeces collected from the open spaces of public institutions: Buenos Aires, ArgentinaI E Sommerfelt
Cátedra de Veterinaria en Salud Pública, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Av Chorroarin 280, 1427 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 140:296-301. 2006Toxocarosis is a worldwide parasitic infection that affects both cats and dogs. Toxocara cati (Schrank, 1788) syn...
- Toxocara cati larvae persist and retain high infectivity in muscles of experimentally infected chickensKensuke Taira
Laboratory for Parasitology, Department of Veterinary Medicine, Azabu University, 1 17 71 Fuchinobe, Chuo Ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252 5201, Japan
Vet Parasitol 180:287-91. 2011The distribution of Toxocara cati larvae in the organs of chickens (n=31), experimentally inoculated with 3000 embryonated eggs, was examined 1, 2, 3, 7, 29, 86 and 175-176 days post-infection (dpi), and the infectivity of recovered ..
- Contamination of public parks and squares from Guarulhos (São Paulo State, Brazil ) by Toxocara spp. and Ancylostoma sppJacó Pereira Marques
Supervisao de Vigilancia em Saude, SUVIS Casa Verde, Secretaria de Saúde da Cidade de São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 54:267-71. 2012..Amongst these zoonoses are visceral larva migrans and cutaneous larva migrans caused by Toxocara spp. and Ancylostoma spp., respectively...
- Human toxocariasis: a seroepidemiological survey in the Amazonian city of Yurimaguas, PeruWilliam H Roldán
Departamento de Microbiologia Medica, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 52:37-42. 2010The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of the infection by Toxocara in the general population of the Amazonian city of Yurimaguas, Peru...
- Epilepsy, cysticercosis, and toxocariasis: a population-based case-control study in rural BoliviaA Nicoletti
Institute of Neurological Science, University of Catania, Italy
Neurology 58:1256-61. 2002To assess the relationship between epilepsy and infection with Taenia solium and Toxocara canis with a case-control study, in the rural area of the Cordillera Province, Bolivia.
- Zoonotic parasites in fecal samples and fur from dogs and cats in The NetherlandsPaul A M Overgaauw
RnA BV, Yalelaan 2, 3584 CM, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Vet Parasitol 163:115-22. 2009..b>Toxocara eggs were found in 4.4% (D) and 4.6% (C) of the fecal samples and in 12.2% (D) and 3.4% (C) of the fur samples...
- Seroprevalence of Toxocara antibodies in patients with adult asthmaSalih Kuk
Firat University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Parasitology, 23119, Elazig, Turkey
South Med J 99:719-22. 2006..Asthma, considered to be one of the most common chronic diseases, is a serious global health problem. Toxocara may be a possible etiologic agent of asthma...
- Seroprevalence of human toxocariasis (visceral larva migrans)Atef M El-Shazly
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 39:731-44. 2009..Sera were collected from patients and tested for anti-Toxocara IgG antibodies using ELISA. The overall anti- Toxocara seropositive was (7.7%)...
- Relationship between Toxocara seropositivity and allergic rhinitisMurat Yariktas
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Suleyman Demirel University School of Medicine, Isparta, Turkey
Am J Rhinol 21:248-50. 2007..The purpose of this study was to investigate the association between Toxocara seropositivity and allergic rhinitis.
- Evaluation of the efficacy of emodepside plus praziquantel topical solution against ascarid infections (Toxocara cati or Toxascaris leonina) in catsC R Reinemeyer
East Tennessee Clinical Research, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Parasitol Res 97:S41-50. 2005..mg/kg) (Profender, Bayer AG, Leverkusen, Germany) against infection with various stages of the ascarid nematodes Toxocara cati and Toxascaris leonina...
- Differentiation of Toxocara canis and T. cati eggs by light and scanning electron microscopyS Uga
Department of Medical Technology, Faculty of Health Science, Kobe Univeristy School of Medicine, 7 10 2, Tomogaoka, Suma ku, 654 0142, Kobe, Japan
Vet Parasitol 92:287-94. 2000In this study, we investigated the morphological identification of Toxocara canis and T. cati eggs on the basis of light and scanning electron microscopic (SEM) observations. T. canis and T...
- Utilizing a polymerase chain reaction method for the detection of Toxocara canis and T. cati eggs in soilR Fogt-Wyrwas
Department of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Physical Education, Królowej Jadwigi 27 39, 61 871 Poznan, Poland
J Helminthol 81:75-8. 2007..The method, using specific primers for the identification of the two Toxocara species, was assessed in both the field and laboratory...
- Modification of gDNA extraction from soil for PCR designed for the routine examination of soil samples contaminated with Toxocara spp. eggsA Borecka
Laboratory of Parasitoses of Domestic Animals, Institute of Parasitology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Twarda 51 55, 00 818 Warsaw, Poland
J Helminthol 82:119-22. 2008..developed for the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique, intended for the detection and differentiation of Toxocara spp. eggs in soil or sediments. Sand samples from sandpits confirmed as being contaminated with Toxocara spp...
- Public understanding of toxocariasisD L Wells
Canine Behaviour Centre, School of Psychology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT7 1NN, N Ireland, UK
Public Health 121:187-8. 2007
- Experimental infection with Toxocara cati in BALB/c mice, migratory behaviour and pathological changesN Cardillo
Cátedra de Parasitología y Enfermedades Parasitarias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Zoonoses Public Health 56:198-205. 2009Experimental inoculations of 1000 Toxocara cati larval eggs were carried out in 18 BALB/c mice. The T. cati eggs used for inoculation were collected from the faeces of naturally infected cats...
- Toxocariasis of the central nervous system: with report of two casesSandra F Moreira-Silva
Hospital Infantil Nossa Senhora da Glória, Victoria, ES, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:169-74. 2004Clinical involvement of the nervous system in visceral larva migrans due to Toxocara is rare, although in experimental animals the larvae frequently migrate to the brain...
- Toxocara vitulorum (Ascaridida: Nematoda): mitochondrial gene content, arrangement and composition compared with other Toxocara speciesSusiji Wickramasinghe
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Kochi Medical School, Oko, Nankoku City, Kochi, Japan
Mol Biochem Parasitol 166:89-92. 2009Partial mitochondrial (mt) genome sequence (10,486bp) from the parasitic nematode Toxocara vitulorum was determined and its organization and structure compared with those of T. cati, T. canis and T. malaysiensis...
- Prevalence of Toxocara infection in schoolchildren from the Butantã region, São Paulo, BrazilJussara M S Alderete
Unidade de Alergia e Imunologia, Departamento de Pediatria, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, 05403 900, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:593-7. 2003Visceral larva migrans syndrome by Toxocara affects mainly children between 2 and 5 years of age, it is generally asymptomatic, and the seroprevalence varies from 3 to 86% in different countries...
- Advances in molecular identification, taxonomy, genetic variation and diagnosis of Toxocara sppJia Chen
State Key Laboratory of Veterinary Etiological Biology, Key Laboratory of Veterinary Parasitology of Gansu Province, Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Lanzhou, Gansu Province 730046, PR China
Infect Genet Evol 12:1344-8. 2012The genus Toxocara contains parasitic nematodes of human and animal health significance, such as Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati and Toxocara vitulorum. T. canis and T...
- Seroprevalence of toxocara infection in school children in Shiraz, southern IranS M Sadjjadi
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Trop Pediatr 46:327-30. 2000The presence of anti-Toxocara antibodies in the sera of school children of Shiraz, southern Iran, was studied by means of an indirect enzyme linked immunosorbent assay with excretory/secretory antigen of infective stage larva...
- Epidemiology of toxocariasis in a steppe environment: the Patagonia studyJudith Fillaux
Department of Parasitology, Toulouse University Hospitals, Toulouse, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:1144-7. 2007..Overall seroprevalence was 31.6%, and the contamination rate of soil by Toxocara eggs was 35.1%...
- Prevalence of Toxocara cati and other intestinal helminths in stray cats in Shiraz, IranMohammad Zibaei
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran zibaeim sums ac ir
Trop Biomed 24:39-43. 2007..3%), Spirometra sp. (3.8%) and the detected nematodes were Physaloptera sp. (44.6%), Toxocara cati (42.6%) and Toxascaris leonina (12.9%). The study revealed that T...
- Optical coherence tomographic and angiographic findings of a case with subretinal toxocara granulomaTomomi Higashide
Department of Ophthalmology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 136:188-90. 2003To study a case with a subretinal Toxocara granuloma.
- The frequency rate of Toxocara species contamination in soil samples from public yards in a urban area "Payathai", Bangkok, ThailandViroj Wiwanitkit
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 46:113-4. 2004b>Toxocara species are most common roundworms of Canidae and Felidae. Human toxocariasis develops by ingesting of embryonated eggs in contaminated soil...
- Comparison of six simple methods for extracting ribosomal and mitochondrial DNA from Toxocara and Toxascaris nematodesF Mikaeili
Dept of Medical Parasitology and Mycology, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Exp Parasitol 134:155-9. 2013Six simple methods for extraction of ribosomal and mitochondrial DNA from Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati and Toxascaris leonina were compared by evaluating the presence, appearance and intensity of PCR products visualized on agarose gels ..
- Environmental contamination by Toxocara sp. eggs in Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo State, BrazilDivani Maria Capuano
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Instituto Adolfo Lutz, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 47:223-6. 2005Toxocariasis is a zoonosis mainly caused by Toxocara canis, an intestinal nematode of dogs...
- Contamination of soils with eggs of Toxocara in a subtropical city in ArgentinaJ M Alonso
Institute of Regional Medicine, North East National University, Resistencia, Aregentina
J Helminthol 75:165-8. 2001..Eggs of Toxocara spp. were present in five (3.4%) of the 146 habitats surveyed and in six (1.3%) of the 475 samples examined...
- Prevalence and viability of eggs of Toxocara spp. and Toxascaris leonina in public parks in eastern SpainM R Ruiz De Ybáñez
Parasitologia y Enfermedades Parasitarias, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Espinardo, Spain
J Helminthol 75:169-73. 2001To demonstrate the prevalence of Toxocara spp. and Toxascaris leonina eggs in parks in Murcia city, eastern Spain, a total 644 soil samples were examined from nine parks. More than 67% of parks and 1...
- Seasonal prevalence of Toxocara ova in soil samples from public parks in Ankara, TurkeyH Avcioglu
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:345-50. 2008This survey was conducted to determine prevalence of Toxocara spp. eggs and seasonal variation of this prevalence in public parks in Ankara, Turkey...
- The comparision of IgG antibodies specific to Toxocara spp. among eosinophilic and non-eosinophilic groupsSenem Yaman Karadam
Adnan Menderes University, Medical School Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Aydin, Turkey
New Microbiol 31:113-6. 2008..This study assessed the levels of IgG antibodies specific to Toxocara spp. by ES-ELISA method in an eosinophilic (n=350) and non eosinophilic group (n=350)...
- The prevalence of Toxocara cati in domestic cats in Mexico CityIgnacio Martínez-Barbabosa
Departamento de Atencion a la Salud, Laboratorio de Parasitología Médica, Area de Ciencias Básicas, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Xochimilco, Calzada del Hueso 1100 Colonia Villa Quietud, CP 04960, Mexico
Vet Parasitol 114:43-9. 2003..For the purpose of this study they were divided into seven age groups, of 6 months each. Toxocara cati eggs were found in the faeces of 42.5% of the animals. 20.7% of apartment cats and 49...
- Longevity of Toxocara cati larvae and pathology in tissues of experimentally infected chickensAhmad Oryan
Department of Veterinary Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Korean J Parasitol 48:79-80. 2010This study was conducted to determine the distribution patterns and duration of stay of Toxocara cati larvae in organs of chickens and to investigate chronic phase and potential zoonotic risk of toxocariasis in chickens...
- A seroepidemiological survey for toxocariasis in apparently healthy residents in Gangwon-do, KoreaHyun Young Park
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 40:113-7. 2002..Korea was examined for specific antibody levels against excretory-secretory products of second stage larvae of Toxocara (TES)...
- Seroprevalence of Toxocara infection in children and environmental contamination of urban areas in Paraná State, BrazilS Mattia
Laboratory of Environmental Parasitology, State University of Maringa, Maringa, Brazil
J Helminthol 86:440-5. 2012The objectives of this study were to evaluate the contamination by eggs of Toxocara in sandy areas or grass lawns of outdoor recreation areas that are used by children, and the frequency of seroprevalence in children, from three cities of ..
- Contamination of soil with Toxocara eggs in urban (Prague) and rural areas in the Czech RepublicS Dubná
Department of Zoology and Fisheries, Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources, Czech University of Agriculture in Prague, Kamycka 957, 165 21 Prague 6 Suchdol, Czech Republic
Vet Parasitol 144:81-6. 2007..0001). The highest rate of contamination (45%) was found in backyards inhabited by feral cats. The eggs of Toxocara spp. were found in 20.4% of parks, 10% of shelters and 5% of rural samples...
- Distribution of Toxocara infection in the environment and in definitive and paratenic hosts in EstoniaHeli Talvik
Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, Estonian University of Life Sciences, Kreutzwaldi 62, Tartu 51014, Estonia
Acta Vet Hung 54:399-406. 2006The aim of the study was to elucidate the distribution and possible transmission routes of Toxocara spp. infection in Estonia...
- Seasonal contamination of public squares and lawns by parasites with zoonotic potential in southern BrazilR Tiyo
Laboratory of Environmental Parasitology, Department of Clinical Analyses, State University of Maringa, Maringa 87020 900, Brazil
J Helminthol 82:1-6. 2008..38%) from squares in winter and 45 (69.23%) in summer, contained protozoans and/or helminths. Eggs of Toxocara spp. were the most frequently observed parasites in both winter and summer in squares (P < 0...
- [Contamination of playgrounds in Gdańsk city with parasite eggs]Jerzy Rokicki
Katedra Zoologii Bezkrrgowców, Uniwersytet Gdanski, Al Marszalka Piłsudskiego 46, 81 378 Gdynia
Wiad Parazytol 53:227-30. 2007Nematodes of Toxocara genus are common parasites of dogs and cats. These animals are the main source of dangerous zoonoses. The main source of toxocarosis among children are sandpits which are contaminated with dog and cat faeces...
- Efficacy of Procox® oral suspension for dogs (0.1% emodepside and 2% toltrazuril) against experimental nematode (Toxocara cati and Ancylostoma tubaeforme) infections in catsGabriele Petry
Bayer Animal Health GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany
Parasitol Res 109:S37-43. 2011..determine the optimum therapeutic dose of Procox(®) for the removal of experimental infection with mature adult Toxocara (T.) cati and Ancylostoma (A.) tubaeforme in kittens...
- Clinical and serological evidence of Toxocara infection in school children from Morrope district, Lambayeque, PeruYrma A Espinoza
Seccion de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Daniel A Carrión, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Callao, Peru
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 50:101-5. 2008..Blood samples were collected for Toxocara ELISA-IgG test and hematological examination...
- Differentiation of larva migrans caused by Baylisascaris procyonis and Toxocara species by Western blottingSriveny Dangoudoubiyam
Department of Comparative Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:1563-8. 2009Baylisascaris procyonis and Toxocara species are two important causes of larva migrans in humans. Larva migrans caused by Toxocara spp. is well known and is diagnosed serologically by enzyme immunoassay...
- Evaluation of an enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot test for the confirmatory serodiagnosis of human toxocariasisWilliam H Roldán
Seccion de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Daniel A Carrión, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Callao, Peru
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:411-8. 2009..sensitive and specific enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot (EITB-IgG) test was developed and evaluated using Toxocara canislarvae excretory-secretory antigens for detecting anti-Toxocara IgG antibodies...
- Toxocara seroprevalence in adults with bronchial asthmaSemra Kustimur
Department of Medical Microbiology, Gazi University Medical Faculty, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:270-4. 2007..Of the asthmatic patients, 61 (49.2%) were atopic and 63 non-atopic (50.8%). The anti-Toxocara IgG (Toxocara IgG CELISA Cellabs, Australia) positivity rate for all asthmatic cases was 9.7%...
- Toxocara infection and its association with allergic manifestationsElena Pinelli
Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 12:33-44. 2012b>Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati are roundworms of dogs and cats that can also infect humans worldwide...
- Production of monoclonal antibody against Toxocara cati second-stage larvae and its application for the detection of circulating antigensMohammad Zibaei
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorram Abad, Iran
Hybridoma (Larchmt) 29:217-20. 2010Toxocariasis is an important zoonotic disease caused by the second-stage larvae of Toxocara species. Human toxocariasis is usually diagnosed by serological methods. We prepared monoclonal antibody specific for Toxocara cati (T...
- Toxoplasma, toxocara and tuberculosis co-infection in a four year old childRandeewari Guneratne
Colombo South Teaching Hospital, Kalubowila, Sri Lanka
BMC Pediatr 11:44. 2011Tuberculosis. toxocariasis and toxoplasmosis are among the common infectious causes of lymphadenitis in children. Cases of Toxoplasma gondii and Toxocara spp co-infection have been reported.
- Detection of zoonotic intestinal parasites in public parks of Spain. Potential epidemiological role of microsporidiaD Dado
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Zoonoses Public Health 59:23-8. 2012..3%), which were contamined with Giardia sp. (19.4%), microsporidia (19.4%), Toxocara spp. (16.4%), Cryptosporidium sp. (6%), Entamoeba histolytica (3%) and Ancylostomidae (3%)...
- Contamination of the hair of owned dogs with the eggs of Toxocara sppJason Devoy Keegan
Parasitology Research Group, Department of Zoology, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Vet Parasitol 173:161-4. 2010b>Toxocara canis is one of the most common gastrointestinal helminthes of dogs. Humans can become infected through ingestion of infective eggs. Infection often causes few symptoms but in rare cases blindness can occur...
- Efficacy of selamectin against experimentally induced and naturally acquired infections of Toxocara cati and Ancylostoma tubaeforme in catsT L McTier
Animal Health Clinical Affairs, Central Research Division, Pfizer Inc, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Vet Parasitol 91:311-9. 2000The efficacy of selamectin against experimentally induced and naturally acquired infections of adult ascarids (Toxocara cati) and adult hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme) was evaluated in five controlled studies in cats...
- [Toxocara sp. eggs and Ancylostoma sp. larva in public parks, Brazil]Antônio Marcos Guimarães
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal de Lavras, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 39:293-5. 2005Visceral and cutaneous larva migrans are parasitic zoonoses caused by the infection of larval nematodes Toxocara sp. and Ancylostoma sp. respectively. The objective of this study was to investigate the contamination by Toxocara sp...
- Seroprevalence of human toxocariasis in Andean communities from the Northeast of Lima, PeruYrma A Espinoza
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Daniel A Carrión, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Callao, Peru
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 52:31-6. 2010..total of 303 subjects including children and adults were studied and blood samples were collected to detect anti-Toxocara antibodies by ELISA-IgG test and by hematological examination; stool samples were collected also for ..
- Efficacy of methanolic extract of Balanites aegyptiaca fruits on Toxocara vitulorumHatem A Shalaby
Department of Parasitology and Animal Diseases, National Research Center, Giza, Egypt
Vet Parasitol 183:386-92. 2012In this study, the effect of the methanolic extract of Balanites aegyptiaca fruits (BAE) on adult Toxocara vitulorum was evaluated after incubating the parasites in Ringer solution containing 10, 30, 60, 120 and 240 μg/ml of the ..
- Comparison of isolates and species of Toxocara and Toxascaris by biosynthetic labelling of somatic and ES proteins from infective larvaeA P Page
Department of Biology, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London
Parasitology 103:451-64. 1991Infective-stage larvae of three different isolates of Toxocara canis were intrinsically ([35S]methionine) labelled in culture, to determine the presence of similarities or differences in the somatic and ES antigens expressed between ..
- Toxocara-infestations in Austria: a study on the risk of infection of farmers, slaughterhouse staff, hunters and veterinariansArmin Deutz
Animal Health Service, Department of Veterinary Administration, Styrian Provincial Government, Graz, Austria
Parasitol Res 97:390-4. 2005..585 persons from several occupational groups (farmers, slaughterhouse staff, hunters, veterinarians) exposed to Toxocara infestations and 50 persons of a control group were tested for the presence of specific antibodies to the ..
- [Distribution of sources of Toxocara spp. infection in urban and rural environments in Poland]H Mizgajska
, Akademia Wychowania fizycznego im. Eugeniusza Piaseckiego w Poznaniu, ,
Wiad Parazytol 47:399-404. 2001..b>Toxocara spp...
- Serological, clinical and epidemiological evaluation of toxocariasis in urban areas of south BrazilCristiane M Colli
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Maringa, PR, Brasil, 87020 900
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 52:69-74. 2010..public-health problem that poses major risks to children who may accidentally ingest embryonated eggs of Toxocara. The objectives of this study were to investigate the occurrence of anti-Toxocara spp...
- Bottle feeding and exposure to Toxocara as risk factors for wheezing illness among under-five Amazonian children: a population-based cross-sectional studyMarcelo Urbano Ferreira
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Av Prof Lineu Prestes 1374, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Trop Pediatr 53:119-24. 2007..Infections with intestinal parasites and antibodies to the zoonotic nematode Toxocara were diagnosed using standard laboratory techniques...
- Soil-parasites particularly Toxocara eggs in EgyptAtef M El-Shazly
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 39:151-62. 2009..The most common helminthic stage presents in the soil of the two Governorates was Toxocara eggs...
- Prevalence of Toxocara spp., Toxascaris leonina and ancylostomidae in public parks and beaches in different climate zones of Costa RicaIsabelle Paquet-Durand
Escuela de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional, Heredia, Costa Rica
Acta Trop 104:30-7. 2007..Of the faecal samples 3% contained Toxascaris spp. eggs, 7% Toxocara spp. eggs and 55% contained ancylostomidae eggs. Of the soil samples, 2% contained ancylostomidae eggs and 0...
- Seroprevalence of Toxocara antibodies among patients suspected of ocular toxocariasis in SloveniaJernej Logar
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Korean J Parasitol 42:137-40. 2004Ocular toxocariasis named also ocular larva migrans is caused by larvae of the roundworm Toxocara spp. The purpose of this study was to find out the seroprevalence of Toxocara antibodies in patients suspected of ocular toxocariasis...
- Purified protein derivative of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and excretory-secretory antigen(s) of Toxocara canis expand in vitro human T cells with stable and opposite (type 1 T helper or type 2 T helper) profile of cytokine productionG F Del Prete
Division of Clinical Immunology and Allergology, University of Florence, Italy
J Clin Invest 88:346-50. 1991..of T cell clones (TCC) specific for purified protein derivative (PPD) of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (total 60) or Toxocara canis excretory/secretory (TES) antigen (total 69) were established from the peripheral blood of two healthy ..
- Toxocara seroprevalence in children from a subtropical city in ArgentinaJ M Alonso
Instituto de Medicina Regional, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Resistencia, Argentina
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 42:235-7. 2000..In order to assess the prevalence of anti-Toxocara antibodies in infantile population, 206 children from Resistencia, of both sexes, aged 1-14 years old were ..
- Comparison of the sensitive screening kit with two ELISA sets for detection of anti-Toxocara antibodiesP Dubinsky
Parasitological Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 31:394-8. 2000..NOVUM, ELISA PU and ToxocaraCHEK) were compared using excretory-secretory (ES) antigen of second stage larvae of Toxocara canis on two sets of sera from patients aged 1-15 years, living in town and in the country, suspected of having ..
- The occurrence of Toxocara malaysiensis in cats in China, confirmed by sequence-based analyses of ribosomal DNAMing wei Li
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural College, Guangdong Ocean University, Huguangyan, Zhanjiang, 524088, Guangdong Province, PR China
Parasitol Res 99:554-7. 2006..The study showed that Toxocara canis, Toxocara cati, and Toxascaris leonina from China were genetically the same as those from other ..
- A serological follow-up of toxocariasis patients after chemotherapy based on the detection of IgG, IgA, and IgE antibodies by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayGuita Rubinsky Elefant
Laboratório de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Lab Anal 20:164-72. 2006..and IgE ELISA) were standardized, using excretory-secretory antigens obtained from the second-stage larvae of a Toxocara canis culture...
- Larval recovery of Toxocara cati in experimentally infected Rattus norvegicus and analysis of the rat as potential reservoir for this ascaridSérgio V Santos
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil, 05403 000
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:933-4. 2009b>Toxocara cati is a common feline parasite transmitted by the ingestion of embryonated eggs, by the transmammary route or by predation of paratenic hosts harbouring third-stage larvae in their bodies...
- Toxocara infection seroprevalence and its relationship with atopic features in a general adult populationA Gonzalez-Quintela
Department of Internal Medicine, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 139:317-24. 2006..Toxocariasis is the most common helminth infection in industrialized countries. The study aimed to investigate the association between Toxocara exposure and atopic features.
- Toxocara malaysiensis n. sp. (Nematoda: Ascaridoidea) from the domestic cat (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758)L M Gibbons
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, The Royal Veterinary College (University of London, Hatfield, United Kingdom
J Parasitol 87:660-5. 2001b>Toxocara malaysiensis n. sp. from the small intestine of the domestic cat (Felis catus L.) in Malaysia is described and illustrated...
- Circulation of Toxocara spp. in suburban and rural ecosystems in the Slovak RepublicD Antolová
Parasitological Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Hlinkova 3, 040 01 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Vet Parasitol 126:317-24. 2004b>Toxocara spp., the common roundworms of domestic and wild animals, are the causative agents of larval toxocarosis in humans...
- Histopathologic changes and larval recovery of Toxocara cati in experimentally infected chickensS Azizi
Department of Veterinary Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, P O Box 71345 1731, Shiraz, Iran
Parasitol Res 102:47-52. 2007This study was made to determine the distribution pattern of Toxocara cati larvae in chickens as a paratenic host and its potential zoonotic risk by consuming infected chickens...
- Vertical transmission of Toxocara cati Schrank 1788 (Anisakidae) in the catN Coati
Institute of Parasitology, Hannover School of Veterinary Medicine, Buenteweg 17, 30559, Hannover, Germany
Parasitol Res 92:142-6. 2004In eight cats and their offspring the mode of transmission of Toxocara cati following natural and experimental infection was investigated in three experiments...
- HIV-CNS Diseases and Parasitic Zoonoses in the Eastern Cape, South AfricaHELENE CARABIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..measure the cross-sectional associations between neurological complications and prevalence of Taenia solium and Toxocara canis infections in persons with advanced HIV, with non-advanced HIV infection and those without HIV infection...
- NEMATODE-INDUCED PULMONARY GRANULOMA FORMATIONSTEPHEN KAYES; Fiscal Year: 1991..of pulmonary dysfunction, is an integral component of visceral larva migrans (VLM) syndrome due to infection with Toxocara canis...
- TOXOCARA CANIS INFECTION OF THE PRIMATE EYEROBERT WATZKE; Fiscal Year: 1980OBJECTIVE: To produce Toxocara canis infection of the primate eye and to study its onset, course and termination by clinical and histopathologic correlations...
- REGULATION OF EOSINOPHILOPOIESIS IN PARASITIC INFECTIONKaren Young; Fiscal Year: 1992..and to determine if parasite antigens play a role in stimulating eosinophilopoiesis during infection with Toxocara canis...