Scott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Internal Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
Lancet 370:1644-52. 2007
..Dengue 1 virus became prevalent in Hawaii where it was transmitted by Aedes albopictus, producing a classic virgin soil epidemic, with clinical disease seen largely in adults...
- Global spread and persistence of dengue
Jennifer L Kyle
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, and Graduate Group in Microbiology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7354, USA
Annu Rev Microbiol 62:71-92. 2008
..What is known, as well as gaps in knowledge, is emphasized in light of future prospects for control and prevention of this pandemic disease...
- Successful establishment of Wolbachia in Aedes populations to suppress dengue transmission
A A Hoffmann
Bio21 Institute, Department of Genetics, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Nature 476:454-7. 2011
..Here we describe how the wMel Wolbachia infection, introduced into the dengue vector Aedes aegypti from Drosophila melanogaster, successfully invaded two natural A...
- A Wolbachia symbiont in Aedes aegypti limits infection with dengue, Chikungunya, and Plasmodium
Luciano A Moreira
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia
Cell 139:1268-78. 2009
..The successful introduction of a life-shortening strain of Wolbachia into the dengue vector Aedes aegypti that halves adult lifespan has recently been reported...
- The wMel Wolbachia strain blocks dengue and invades caged Aedes aegypti populations
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Nature 476:450-3. 2011
..for dengue are very limited and currently focus on reducing population abundance of the major mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti...
- Genome sequence of Aedes aegypti, a major arbovirus vector
Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Science 316:1718-23. 2007
We present a draft sequence of the genome of Aedes aegypti, the primary vector for yellow fever and dengue fever, which at approximately 1376 million base pairs is about 5 times the size of the genome of the malaria vector Anopheles ..
- A single mutation in chikungunya virus affects vector specificity and epidemic potential
Konstantin A Tsetsarkin
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 3:e201. 2007
..fitness for different vector species, viral infectivity, dissemination, and transmission of CHIKV were compared in Aedes albopictus, the species implicated in the epidemic, and the recognized vector Ae. aegypti...
- Impact of daily temperature fluctuations on dengue virus transmission by Aedes aegypti
Department of Virology, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7460-5. 2011
..diurnal temperature range (DTR) affects two important parameters underlying dengue virus (DENV) transmission by Aedes aegypti...
- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Lancet 370:1840-6. 2007
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes, has recently caused several outbreaks on islands in the Indian Ocean and on the Indian subcontinent. We report on an outbreak in Italy.
- Critical review of the vector status of Aedes albopictus
N G Gratz
Med Vet Entomol 18:215-27. 2004
The mosquito Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae), originally indigenous to South-east Asia, islands of the Western Pacific and Indian Ocean, has spread during recent decades to Africa, the mid-east, Europe and the ..
- Emerging flaviviruses: the spread and resurgence of Japanese encephalitis, West Nile and dengue viruses
John S Mackenzie
Australian Biosecurity Cooperative Research Centre, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
Nat Med 10:S98-109. 2004
- Sequencing of Culex quinquefasciatus establishes a platform for mosquito comparative genomics
Center for Disease Vector Research, University of California Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Science 330:86-8. 2010
..quinquefasciatus: Its repertoire of 18,883 protein-coding genes is 22% larger than that of Aedes aegypti and 52% larger than that of Anopheles gambiae with multiple gene-family expansions, including olfactory ..
- Wolbachia induces reactive oxygen species (ROS)-dependent activation of the Toll pathway to control dengue virus in the mosquito Aedes aegypti
Department of Entomology and Genetics Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E23-31. 2012
..In this study, we have deciphered how Wolbachia infection affects the Aedes aegypti host in inducing resistance to DENV...
- Gene amplification, ABC transporters and cytochrome P450s: unraveling the molecular basis of pyrethroid resistance in the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti
Department of Biology, University of Crete, Haraklio, Greece
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1692. 2012
Pyrethroid insecticides are widely utilized in dengue control. However, the major vector, Aedes aegypti, is becoming increasingly resistant to these insecticides and this is impacting on the efficacy of control measures...
- Spread of the tiger: global risk of invasion by the mosquito Aedes albopictus
Mark Q Benedict
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:76-85. 2007
b>Aedes albopictus, commonly known as the Asian tiger mosquito, is currently the most invasive mosquito in the world...
- Insecticide resistance in the dengue vector Aedes aegypti from Martinique: distribution, mechanisms and relations with environmental factors
Unité mixte de recherche MIVEGEC UM1 CNRS 5290 IRD 224, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Montpellier, France
PLoS ONE 7:e30989. 2012
..The viruses responsible for dengue are transmitted by Aedes aegypti, an indoor day-biting mosquito...
- Chikungunya: a re-emerging virus
Felicity J Burt
Department of Medical Microbiology and Virology, National Health Laboratory Services Universitas and University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Lancet 379:662-71. 2012
In the past decade, chikungunya--a virus transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes--has re-emerged in Africa, southern and southeastern Asia, and the Indian Ocean Islands as the cause of large outbreaks of human disease...
- Consequences of the expanding global distribution of Aedes albopictus for dengue virus transmission
Department of Virology, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e646. 2010
The dramatic global expansion of Aedes albopictus in the last three decades has increased public health concern because it is a potential vector of numerous arthropod-borne viruses (arboviruses), including the most prevalent arboviral ..
- The Aedes aegypti toll pathway controls dengue virus infection
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 4:e1000098. 2008
b>Aedes aegypti, the mosquito vector of dengue viruses, utilizes its innate immune system to ward off a variety of pathogens, some of which can cause disease in humans...
- The role of human movement in the transmission of vector-borne pathogens
Steven T Stoddard
Entomology, University of California, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e481. 2009
..Here we develop a conceptual model to evaluate the importance of variation in exposure due to individual human movements for pathogen transmission, focusing on mosquito-borne dengue virus...
- Impact of Wolbachia on infection with chikungunya and yellow fever viruses in the mosquito vector Aedes aegypti
Andrew F van den Hurk
Public Health Virology, Communicable Diseases Unit, Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services, Coopers Plains, Australia
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1892. 2012
..The viruses are primarily transmitted by Aedes aegypti, a highly domesticated mosquito species that is notoriously difficult to control...
- Immune activation by life-shortening Wolbachia and reduced filarial competence in mosquitoes
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research and Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Science 326:134-6. 2009
..strain wMelPop reduces the longevity of its Drosophila melanogaster host and, when introduced into the mosquito Aedes aegypti, halves its life span...
- Potential effect of population and climate changes on global distribution of dengue fever: an empirical model
Department of Public Health, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, PO Box 7343, Mein Street, Wellington, New Zealand
Lancet 360:830-4. 2002
..Our aim was to investigate the potential effects of global climate change on human health, and in particular, on the transmission of vector-borne diseases...
- Dengue virus-mosquito interactions
Scott B Halstead
Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 53:273-91. 2008
The mosquito Aedes aegypti is more widely dispersed now than at any time in the past, placing billions of humans at risk of infection with one or more of the four dengue viruses...
- Genetic elimination of dengue vector mosquitoes
Megan R Wise de Valdez
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1682, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:4772-5. 2011
..A transgenic strain, designated OX3604C, of the major dengue vector, Aedes aegypti, was engineered to have a repressible female-specific flightless phenotype...
- VectorBase: a data resource for invertebrate vector genomics
European Bioinformatics Institute EMBL EBI, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire CB10 1SD, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 37:D583-7. 2009
..Currently, VectorBase contains genome information for three mosquito species: Aedes aegypti, Anopheles gambiae and Culex quinquefasciatus, a body louse Pediculus humanus and a tick species Ixodes ..
- Stable introduction of a life-shortening Wolbachia infection into the mosquito Aedes aegypti
Conor J McMeniman
School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
Science 323:141-4. 2009
..a life-shortening strain of the inherited bacterial symbiont, Wolbachia, into the major mosquito vector of dengue, Aedes aegypti, halved adult life span under laboratory conditions...
- Fine scale spatiotemporal clustering of dengue virus transmission in children and Aedes aegypti in rural Thai villages
In Kyu Yoon
Department of Virology, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1730. 2012
..To define the dimensions of local transmission and quantify the factors that support it, we examined relationships between infected humans and Aedes aegypti in Thai villages.
- Reciprocal tripartite interactions between the Aedes aegypti midgut microbiota, innate immune system and dengue virus influences vector competence
Jose Luis Ramirez
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1561. 2012
..It is transmitted between humans by the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, and at least 2.5 billion people are at daily risk of infection...
- Two Chikungunya isolates from the outbreak of La Reunion (Indian Ocean) exhibit different patterns of infection in the mosquito, Aedes albopictus
Département de Virologie Chikungunya program, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 2:e1168. 2007
A Chikungunya (CHIK) outbreak hit La Réunion Island in 2005-2006. The implicated vector was Aedes albopictus. Here, we present the first study on the susceptibility of Ae...
- Field performance of engineered male mosquitoes
Angela F Harris
Mosquito Research and Control Unit MRCU, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Nat Biotechnol 29:1034-7. 2011
..dengue, the most promising strategies to control the disease involve targeting the predominant mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti. However, the current methods to do this are inadequate...
- Chikungunya, an epidemic arbovirosis
Hopital Tenon, Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Paris, France
Lancet Infect Dis 7:319-27. 2007
Chikungunya is an arboviral disease transmitted by aedes mosquitoes. The virus was first isolated in 1953 in Tanzania. Chikungunya virus is a member of the genus Alphavirus and the family Togaviridae...
- Area-wide management of Aedes albopictus: choice of study sites based on geospatial characteristics, socioeconomic factors and mosquito populations
Center for Vector Biology, Department of Entomology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Pest Manag Sci 67:965-74. 2011
b>Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse), the Asian tiger mosquito, is an introduced invasive species in the United States that is responsible for a significant proportion of service requests to local mosquito control programs...
- Wolbachia strain wMel induces cytoplasmic incompatibility and blocks dengue transmission in Aedes albopictus
Marcus S C Blagrove
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3SY, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:255-60. 2012
..wMelPop strain was recently shown to strongly inhibit the replication of dengue virus when introduced into Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, as well as to stimulate chronic immune up-regulation...
- Suitability of European climate for the Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus: recent trends and future scenarios
School of Environmental Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J R Soc Interface 9:2708-17. 2012
The Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) is an invasive species that has the potential to transmit infectious diseases such as dengue and chikungunya fever...
- Global cross-talk of genes of the mosquito Aedes aegypti in response to dengue virus infection
Susanta K Behura
Eck Institute for Global Health, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1385. 2011
The mosquito Aedes aegypti is the primary vector of dengue virus (DENV) infection in humans, and DENV is the most important arbovirus across most of the subtropics and tropics worldwide...
- Transcription of detoxification genes after permethrin selection in the mosquito Aedes aegypti
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1685, USA
Insect Mol Biol 21:61-77. 2012
..before, during and after five generations of permethrin laboratory selection were monitored in six strains of Aedes aegypti: five F(2)-F(3) collections from the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico and one F(2) from Iquitos, Peru...
- Invasions by insect vectors of human disease
L Philip Lounibos
Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, University of Florida, Vero Beach, Florida 32962, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 47:233-66. 2002
..From the fifteenth century to the present, successive waves of invasion of the vector mosquitoes Aedes aegypti, the Culex pipiens Complex, and, most recently, Aedes albopictus have been facilitated by worldwide ship ..
- The endosymbiotic bacterium Wolbachia induces resistance to dengue virus in Aedes aegypti
Department of Entomology and Genetics Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000833. 2010
..Our results show that Wolbachia inhibits viral replication and dissemination in the main dengue vector, Aedes aegypti. Moreover, the virus transmission potential of Wolbachia-infected Ae...
- Wolbachia-mediated resistance to dengue virus infection and death at the cellular level
Francesca D Frentiu
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e13398. 2010
..Recent work has shown dengue virus displays limited replication in its primary vector, the mosquito Aedes aegypti, when the insect harbors the endosymbiotic bacterium Wolbachia pipientis...
- Dengue virus type 2 infections of Aedes aegypti are modulated by the mosquito's RNA interference pathway
Department of Microbiology, Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000299. 2009
..human dengue virus (DENV) infections, but little is known about the innate immune response of the mosquito vector Aedes aegypti to arbovirus infection...
- Spatial stability of adult Aedes aegypti populations
Entomology and Ecology Activity, Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:1087-92. 2011
Vector control programs could be more efficient by identifying the location of highly productive sites of Aedes aegypti. This study explored if the number of female adults of Ae...
- Climate change and range expansion of the Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) in Northeastern USA: implications for public health practitioners
Suffolk County Vector Control, Yaphank, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e60874. 2013
The Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus (Skuse), is an invasive species with substantial biting activity, high disease vector potential, and a global distribution that continues to expand...
- Fluctuations at a low mean temperature accelerate dengue virus transmission by Aedes aegypti
Lauren B Carrington
Department of Entomology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2190. 2013
..indicate that daily fluctuations around an intermediate mean temperature (26°C) reduce vector competence of Aedes aeygpti for dengue viruses (DENV)...
- Larval mosquito habitat utilization and community dynamics of Aedes albopictus and Aedes japonicus (Diptera: Culicidae)
Center for Vector Biology, Rutgers University, 180 Jones Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Med Entomol 49:813-24. 2012
b>Aedes albopictus (Skuse) and Ae. japonicus (Theobald) are important container-inhabiting mosquitoes that transmit disease agents, outcompete native species, and continue to expand their range in the United States...
- Bacterial diversity of field-caught mosquitoes, Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti, from different geographic regions of Madagascar
Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 75:377-89. 2011
..Wild Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti were collected in three different geographic regions of Madagascar...
- Genomic analysis of detoxification genes in the mosquito Aedes aegypti
Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:113-23. 2008
Annotation of the recently determined genome sequence of the major dengue vector, Aedes aegypti, reveals an abundance of detoxification genes...
- C6/36 Aedes albopictus cells have a dysfunctional antiviral RNA interference response
Doug E Brackney
Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e856. 2010
..Nevertheless, a recent study failed to detect an active RNAi response to West Nile virus (WNV) infection in C6/36 (Aedes albopictus) cells, a mosquito cell line frequently used to study arthropod-borne viruses (arboviruses)...
- Female-specific flightless phenotype for mosquito control
Oxitec Limited, 71 Milton Park, Oxford OX14 4RX, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:4550-4. 2010
..b>Aedes aegypti is the major vector of dengue viruses in its range and control of this mosquito would reduce significantly ..
- Influence of temperature on immature development, survival, longevity, fecundity, and gonotrophic cycles of Aedes albopictus, vector of chikungunya and dengue in the Indian Ocean
Research Unit 016, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
J Med Entomol 46:33-41. 2009
b>Aedes albopictus is a mosquito originating from Asia, which has extended its range worldwide the last decades. It is a competent vector for several arboviruses...
- Discovery of insect and human dengue virus host factors
October M Sessions
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nature 458:1047-50. 2009
..This indicates notable conservation of required factors between dipteran and human hosts. This work suggests new approaches to control infection in the insect vector and the mammalian host...
- Population dynamics of Aedes aegypti and dengue as influenced by weather and human behavior in San Juan, Puerto Rico
Entomology and Ecology Activity, Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Calle Cañada, San Juan, Puerto Rico
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1378. 2011
Previous studies on the influence of weather on Aedes aegypti dynamics in Puerto Rico suggested that rainfall was a significant driver of immature mosquito populations and dengue incidence, but mostly in the drier areas of the island...
- Host and viral features of human dengue cases shape the population of infected and infectious Aedes aegypti mosquitoes
Minh Nguyen Nguyet
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:9072-7. 2013
..and virus variables associated with dengue virus (DENV) transmission from symptomatic dengue cases (n = 208) to Aedes aegypti mosquitoes during 407 independent exposure events was defined...
- Open field release of genetically engineered sterile male Aedes aegypti in Malaysia
Oxitec Sendirian Berhad, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah persekutuan, Malaysia
PLoS ONE 7:e42771. 2012
..In the absence of specific drugs or vaccines, control focuses on suppressing the principal mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti, yet current methods have not proven adequate to control the disease...
- The native Wolbachia symbionts limit transmission of dengue virus in Aedes albopictus
Department of Virology, Arboviruses and Insect Vectors, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1989. 2012
..Both arboviral diseases are transmitted to humans by two main mosquito species, Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. In the absence of the former, Ae...
- Reduction of Aedes aegypti vector competence for dengue virus under large temperature fluctuations
Lauren B Carrington
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, CA95616, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:689-97. 2013
..We investigated the effect of two daily fluctuating temperature profiles on Aedes aegypti vector competence for dengue virus (DENV) serotype-1. A large diurnal temperature range of 18...
- An evolutionary conserved function of the JAK-STAT pathway in anti-dengue defense
Jayme A Souza-Neto
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street E4209, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17841-6. 2009
..Dengue virus infection in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes activates the JAK-STAT immune signaling pathway...
- Large diurnal temperature fluctuations negatively influence Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) life-history traits
Lauren B Carrington
Department of Entomology, University of California Davis, CA, USA
J Med Entomol 50:43-51. 2013
..fluctuations negatively influence epidemiologically important life-history traits of the primary dengue vector, Aedes aegypti (L.), compared with a constant 26 degrees C temperature...
- Lower survival rate, longevity and fecundity of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) females orally challenged with dengue virus serotype 2
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040 360, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:452-8. 2011
..its epidemiology, we compared the life-histories of dengue virus serotype 2 (DENV-2)-infected and uninfected Aedes aegypti females...
- Alterations in the Aedes aegypti transcriptome during infection with West Nile, dengue and yellow fever viruses
Tonya M Colpitts
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002189. 2011
..Here, we present a microarray analysis of the Aedes aegypti transcriptome over time during infection with DENV, WNV or YFV...
- Larval environmental temperature and the susceptibility of Aedes albopictus Skuse (Diptera: Culicidae) to Chikungunya virus
Catherine J Westbrook
Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, Department of Entomology and Nematology, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Vero Beach, Florida 32962, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:241-7. 2010
..recent widespread epidemic of the mosquito-borne alphavirus chikungunya virus (CHIKV) was the important role of Aedes albopictus, formerly regarded as a secondary vector, compared to the presumed primary vector Aedes aegypti. Ae...
- Dengue infection increases the locomotor activity of Aedes aegypti females
Tamara N Lima-Camara
Laboratório de Biologia Molecular de Insetos, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 6:e17690. 2011
b>Aedes aegypti is the main vector of the virus causing Dengue fever, a disease that has increased dramatically in importance in recent decades, affecting many tropical and sub-tropical areas of the globe...
- Evidence of simultaneous circulation of West Nile and Usutu viruses in mosquitoes sampled in Emilia-Romagna region (Italy) in 2009
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Lombardia e dell Emilia Romagna B Ubertini IZSLER, Brescia, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e14324. 2010
..An extensive entomological survey was performed in 2009 to establish the presence and distribution of mosquito arboviruses in this region, with particular reference to flaviviruses...
- Persistent Wolbachia and cultivable bacteria infection in the reproductive and somatic tissues of the mosquito vector Aedes albopictus
Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 4:e6388. 2009
..This study investigated Wolbachia and cultivable bacteria that persist through generations in Ae. albopictus organs known to host transmitted arboviruses, such as dengue and chikungunya...
- Identification of microRNAs expressed in two mosquito vectors, Aedes albopictus and Culex quinquefasciatus
Rebecca L Skalsky
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology and Center for Virology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
BMC Genomics 11:119. 2010
..West Nile virus (WNV) and dengue virus, members of the Flaviviridae family, are primarily transmitted by Aedes and Culex mosquitoes. Using high-throughput deep sequencing, we examined the miRNA repertoire in Ae...
- Assessing the effects of temperature on the population of Aedes aegypti, the vector of dengue
H M Yang
UNICAMP IMECC, Departamento de Matematica Aplicada, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Epidemiol Infect 137:1188-202. 2009
Dengue is a vector-borne disease transmitted by the mosquito Aedes aegypti. The incidence of dengue disease shows a clear dependence on seasonal variation...
- Aedes albopictus, an arbovirus vector: from the darkness to the light
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UR016, BP 1857 Yaoundé, Cameroon
Microbes Infect 11:1177-85. 2009
The Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus (Skuse, 1894), is an invasive species that can be found on all continents...
- Flavivirus susceptibility in Aedes aegypti
William C Black
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Arch Med Res 33:379-88. 2002
b>Aedes aegypti is the primary vector of yellow fever (YF) and dengue fever (DF) flaviviruses worldwide...
- The relative importance of innate immune priming in Wolbachia-mediated dengue interference
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002548. 2012
..originally from Drosophila melanogaster, have been stably introduced into the mosquito vector of dengue fever, Aedes aegypti...
- Re-emergence of Chikungunya and O'nyong-nyong viruses: evidence for distinct geographical lineages and distant evolutionary relationships
A M Powers
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
J Gen Virol 81:471-9. 2000
..differences in their transmission cycles: in Asia, the virus appears to be maintained in an urban cycle with Aedes aegypti mosquito vectors, while CHIK virus transmission in Africa involves a sylvatic cycle, primarily with AE: ..
- Comparison of dengue virus type 2-specific small RNAs from RNA interference-competent and -incompetent mosquito cells
Jaclyn C Scott
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e848. 2010
..technology, we characterized dengue virus type 2 (DENV2)-specific small RNAs produced during infection of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and A...
- Spatial evaluation and modeling of Dengue seroprevalence and vector density in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nildimar Alves Honorio
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e545. 2009
..peak of dengue transmission, we were also able to identify recent dengue infections and visually relate them to Aedes aegypti spatial distribution abundance...
- Dengue virus type 2: replication and tropisms in orally infected Aedes aegypti mosquitoes
Ma Isabel Salazar
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1692, USA
BMC Microbiol 7:9. 2007
..Here we document the virogenesis of DENV-2 in newly-colonized Aedes aegypti mosquitoes from Chetumal, Mexico in order to understand better the effect of vector-virus interactions on ..
- Sequential adaptive mutations enhance efficient vector switching by Chikungunya virus and its epidemic emergence
Konstantin A Tsetsarkin
Institute for Human Infections and Immunity, Center for Tropical Diseases, and Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002412. 2011
The adaptation of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) to a new vector, the Aedes albopictus mosquito, is a major factor contributing to its ongoing re-emergence in a series of large-scale epidemics of arthritic disease in many parts of the world ..
- Molecular genetic analysis of midgut serine proteases in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, BioSciences West Room 518, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 39:903-12. 2009
..Based on recent reports indicating that the mechanism and regulation of protein digestion in blood fed female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes is more complex than previously thought, we used a robust RNAi knockdown method to investigate ..
- Defining challenges and proposing solutions for control of the virus vector Aedes aegypti
Amy C Morrison
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e68. 2008
- Cross-induction of detoxification genes by environmental xenobiotics and insecticides in the mosquito Aedes aegypti: impact on larval tolerance to chemical insecticides
Laboratoire d Ecologie Alpine, UMR CNRS Université Joseph Fourier 5553, Equipe Perturbations Environnementales et Xénobiotiques, Domaine Universitaire de Saint Martin d Hères 2233, rue de la piscine Bât D Biologie, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:540-51. 2008
The effect of exposure of Aedes aegypti larvae to sub-lethal doses of the pyrethroid insecticide permethrin, the organophosphate temephos, the herbicide atrazine, the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon fluoranthene and the heavy metal ..
- Conservation of indole responsive odorant receptors in mosquitoes reveals an ancient olfactory trait
Jonathan D Bohbot
Department of Biological Sciences and Pharmacology, Center for Molecular Neuroscience, Programs in Developmental Biology and Genetics, Institutes for Chemical Biology and Global Health, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
Chem Senses 36:149-60. 2011
b>Aedes aegypti and Anopheles gambiae are among the best-characterized mosquito species within the Culicinae and Anophelinae mosquito clades which diverged ∼150 million years ago...
- Chikungunya virus emergence is constrained in Asia by lineage-specific adaptive landscapes
Konstantin A Tsetsarkin
Institute for Human Infections and Immunity, Center for Tropical Diseases and Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7872-7. 2011
..This replacement process is associated with adaptation of the invasive CHIKV strains to an atypical vector, the Aedes albopictus mosquito that is ubiquitously distributed in the region...
- Blood meal-derived heme decreases ROS levels in the midgut of Aedes aegypti and allows proliferation of intestinal microbiota
Jose Henrique M Oliveira
Laboratório de Bioquímica de Artrópodes Hematófagos, Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Programa de Biologia Molecular e Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
PLoS Pathog 7:e1001320. 2011
..that toxic reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated by epithelial cells control bacterial growth in the midgut of Aedes aegypti, the vector of Yellow fever and Dengue viruses...
- Identification of odorant-binding proteins of the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti: genome annotation and comparative analyses
J J Zhou
Biological Chemistry Department, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, UK
Insect Mol Biol 17:147-63. 2008
The yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti is an important human health pest which vectors yellow fever and dengue viruses...
- Towards a semen proteome of the dengue vector mosquito: protein identification and potential functions
Laura K Sirot
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e989. 2011
..target since these proteins, in aggregate, modulate the reproduction and feeding patterns of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti...
- Isolation and characterization of a new insect flavivirus from Aedes albopictus and Aedes flavopictus mosquitoes in Japan
Department of Medical Entomology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1 23 1 Toyama, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162 8640, Japan
Virology 391:119-29. 2009
We isolated a new flavivirus from Aedes albopictus mosquito and a related species in Japan. The virus, designated Aedes flavivirus (AEFV), only replicated in a mosquito cell line and produced a mild cytopathic effect...
- Induction of a peptide with activity against a broad spectrum of pathogens in the Aedes aegypti salivary gland, following Infection with Dengue Virus
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Pathog 7:e1001252. 2011
..Virus (DENV) to man is strongly dependent on crosstalk between the virus and the immune system of its vector Aedes aegypti (Ae. aegypti)...
- Oviposition site selection by the dengue vector Aedes aegypti and its implications for dengue control
Department of Entomology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1015. 2011
Because no dengue vaccine or antiviral therapy is commercially available, controlling the primary mosquito vector, Aedes aegypti, is currently the only means to prevent dengue outbreaks. Traditional models of Ae...
- Arbovirus-derived piRNAs exhibit a ping-pong signature in mosquito cells
Institut Pasteur, Viruses and RNA interference Group and Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique URA 3015, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 7:e30861. 2012
..Here, we report in cells derived from the two main vectors for arboviruses, Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti, the production of viral small RNAs that exhibit the hallmarks of ping-pong derived ..
- Blood-feeding and immunogenic Aedes aegypti saliva proteins
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Proteomics 10:1906-16. 2010
..We compared differential protein expression in the MGs and SGs of female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes after a sugar- or blood-based diet...
- Pathogenomics of Culex quinquefasciatus and meta-analysis of infection responses to diverse pathogens
Lyric C Bartholomay
Department of Entomology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Science 330:88-90. 2010
..quinquefasciatus immune gene repertoire compared with those of Aedes aegypti and Anopheles gambiae. Transcriptomic analysis of C. quinquefasciatus genes responsive to WNV, W...
- Antibody response against saliva antigens of Anopheles gambiae and Aedes aegypti in travellers in tropical Africa
Unité de recherche en biologie et en épidémiologie parasitaires, Institut de Medecine Tropicale du Service de Sante des Armees, Parc le Pharo, BP 46, 13998 Marseille Armees, France
Microbes Infect 9:1454-62. 2007
..The IgM and IgG antibody responses of 88 French soldiers against the saliva of Anopheles gambiae and Aedes aegypti were evaluated before and after a 5-month journey in tropical Africa...
- Late-acting dominant lethal genetic systems and mosquito control
Hoang Kim Phuc
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK
BMC Biol 5:11. 2007
..Additionally, vector populations with strong density-dependent effects will tend to be resistant to SIT-based control as the population-reducing effect of induced sterility will tend to be offset by reduced density-dependent mortality...
- Alphavirus-derived small RNAs modulate pathogenesis in disease vector mosquitoes
Kevin M Myles
Department of Entomology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:19938-43. 2008
..We identified virus-derived small interfering RNAs (viRNAs), 21 nt in length, in Aedes aegypti infected with the mosquito-borne virus, Sindbis (SINV)...
- Comparative role of Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti in the emergence of Dengue and Chikungunya in central Africa
Organisation de Coordination pour la lutte contre les Endémies en Afrique Centrale OCEAC, Yaounde, Cameroun
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:259-66. 2010
Since its discovery in Nigeria in 1991, Aedes albopictus has invaded much of Central Africa, a region where Ae. aegypti also occurs. To assess the relationship between the invasion by Ae...
- A mutation in the voltage-gated sodium channel gene associated with pyrethroid resistance in Latin American Aedes aegypti
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
Insect Mol Biol 16:785-98. 2007
..Early detection of kdr is critical to the development of resistance management strategies in mosquitoes including Aedes aegypti, the most prevalent vector of dengue and yellow fever viruses. Brengues et al...
- Global traffic and disease vector dispersal
Andrew J Tatem
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6242-7. 2006
..Here we apply a coupled human-environment framework to describe the historical spread of Aedes albopictus, a competent mosquito vector of 22 arboviruses in the laboratory...
- Small RNA profiling of Dengue virus-mosquito interactions implicates the PIWI RNA pathway in anti-viral defense
Ann M Hess
Department of Statistics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
BMC Microbiol 11:45. 2011
..aegypti, we deep-sequenced small non-coding RNAs. Triplicate biological replicates were used so that rigorous statistical metrics could be applied...
- Temporal distribution of Aedes aegypti in different districts of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, measured by two types of traps
N A Honório
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21045 900, Brasil
J Med Entomol 46:1001-14. 2009
..This temporal pattern is generally attributed to the dynamics of its mosquito vector Aedes aegypti (L.). The objectives of this study were to characterize the temporal pattern of Ae...
- Chikungunya virus and Aedes mosquitoes: saliva is infectious as soon as two days after oral infection
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5895. 2009
b>Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus are potential vectors of chikungunya virus (CHIKV)...
- Molecular evolution of dengue viruses: contributions of phylogenetics to understanding the history and epidemiology of the preeminent arboviral disease
Scott C Weaver
Department of Pathology, Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
Infect Genet Evol 9:523-40. 2009
..of DENV includes a sylvatic, enzootic cycle between nonhuman primates and arboreal mosquitoes of the genus Aedes, and an urban, endemic/epidemic cycle between Aedes aegypti, a mosquito with larval development in peridomestic ..
- Exploring the molecular basis of insecticide resistance in the dengue vector Aedes aegypti: a case study in Martinique Island (French West Indies)
Laboratoire de Lutte contre les Insectes Nuisibles LIN, Institut de Recherche Pour le Développement IRD Montpellier, France
BMC Genomics 10:494. 2009
The yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti is a major vector of dengue and hemorrhagic fevers, causing up to 100 million dengue infections every year...
- Increased locomotor activity and metabolism of Aedes aegypti infected with a life-shortening strain of Wolbachia pipientis
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, 4072, Australia
J Exp Biol 212:1436-41. 2009
..that shortens insect lifespan has recently been transinfected into the primary mosquito vector of dengue virus, Aedes aegypti L...
- Gene expression studies in mosquitoes
Xiao Guang Chen
Department of Parasitology, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Southern Medical University, Guang Zhou, GD 510515, People s Republic of China
Adv Genet 64:19-50. 2008