Genomes and Genes
Summary: A species of shark in the family SQUALIDAE, used for its oil (SQUALENE) and as fish meal. It also figures heavily in biological research, especially with reference to its RECTAL GLAND in studies of WATER-ELECTROLYTE BALANCE.
Publications146 found, 100 shown here
- RNA expression in a cartilaginous fish cell line reveals ancient 3' noncoding regions highly conserved in vertebratesDavid Forest
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salisbury Cove, ME 04672, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1224-9. 2007We have established a cartilaginous fish cell line [Squalus acanthias embryo cell line (SAE)], a mesenchymal stem cell line derived from the embryo of an elasmobranch, the spiny dogfish shark S. acanthias...
- Characterisation and expression analysis of B-cell activating factor (BAFF) in spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias): cartilaginous fish BAFF has a unique extra exon that may impact receptor bindingRonggai Li
Scottish Fish Immunology Research Centre, University of Aberdeen, Zoology Building, Tillydrone Avenue, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, Scotland, UK
Dev Comp Immunol 36:707-17. 2012..A BAFF gene has been cloned from spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) and its expression studied...
- The dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) increases both hepatic and extrahepatic ornithine urea cycle enzyme activities for nitrogen conservation after feedingMakiko Kajimura
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 79:602-13. 2006..effect of feeding, and thus elevated nitrogen intake, on nitrogen metabolism in the Pacific spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias. We determined the activities of ornithine urea cycle (O-UC) and related enzymes in liver and nonhepatic ..
- Frequency of multiple paternity in the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias in the western north AtlanticAna Veríssimo
Department of Fisheries Science, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, VA 23062, USA
J Hered 102:88-93. 2011..In the squaloid shark Squalus acanthias, MP has been reported, but whether it is a common feature of the species' reproductive strategy is unknown...
- Analysis and functional annotation of expressed sequence tags from in vitro cell lines of elasmobranchs: Spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) and little skate (Leucoraja erinacea)Angela Parton
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salisbury Cove, Maine 04672, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics 5:199-206. 2010..Previously we developed cell lines from embryos of two elasmobranchs, Squalus acanthias the spiny dogfish shark (SAE line), and Leucoraja erinacea the little skate (LEE-1 line)...
- An acid-sensing ion channel from shark (Squalus acanthias) mediates transient and sustained responses to protonsAndreas Springauf
Department of Physiology, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Physiol 588:809-20. 2010..Our results show that the conservation of the amino acids crucial for proton gating can predict proton sensitivity of an ASIC and increase our understanding of the evolution of ASICs...
- Alkaline tide and nitrogen conservation after feeding in an elasmobranch (Squalus acanthias)Chris M Wood
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
J Exp Biol 208:2693-705. 2005....
- Gene structure and functional characterization of growth hormone in dogfish, Squalus acanthiasShunsuke Moriyama
School of Fisheries Sciences, Kitasato University, Sanriku, Iwate, Japan
Zoolog Sci 25:604-13. 2008Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) growth hormone (GH) was identified by cDNA cloning and protein purification from the pituitary gland. Dogfish GH cDNA encoded a prehormone of 210 amino acids (aa)...
- Microtubule-dependent relocation of branchial V-H+-ATPase to the basolateral membrane in the Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias): a role in base secretionMartin Tresguerres
Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T5G 2E9, Canada
J Exp Biol 209:599-609. 2006..Our results strongly suggest that cellular relocation of V-H+-ATPase is necessary for enhanced HCO3- secretion across the gills of the Pacific dogfish...
- Regulation of branchial V-H(+)-ATPase, Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase and NHE2 in response to acid and base infusions in the Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)Martin Tresguerres
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T5G 2E9, Canada
J Exp Biol 208:345-54. 2005..Western analysis in gill membranes from HCl-infused fish also revealed increased abundance of Na(+)/H(+) exchanger 2 (213+/-5%) and Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase (315+/-88%) compared to the control...
- The putative mechanism of Na(+) absorption in euryhaline elasmobranchs exists in the gills of a stenohaline marine elasmobranch, Squalus acanthiasKeith P Choe
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 146:155-62. 2007..NHE3 antibody was used to localize the exchanger in the gills of the stenohaline marine spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)...
- Osmoregulation, ionoregulation and acid-base regulation by the gastrointestinal tract after feeding in the elasmobranch (Squalus acanthias)Chris M Wood
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1, Canada
J Exp Biol 210:1335-49. 2007..Our results illustrate the complex integration of digestive and ionoregulatory function in the elasmobranch digestive tract, and marked differences from the teleost pattern...
- Stage and season effects on cell cycle and apoptotic activities of germ cells and Sertoli cells during spermatogenesis in the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)L M McClusky
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Pretoria, P O Box 2034, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Reproduction 129:89-102. 2005To understand the processes involved in the spatial and temporal maturation of testicular cells in Squalus acanthias, we used standard morphometry, proliferating-cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-..
- A single glutamine synthetase gene produces tissue-specific subcellular localization by alternative splicingGideon D Matthews
Department of Biochemistry, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Israel
FEBS Lett 579:5527-34. 2005..Here we show that in the ureosmotic elasmobranch, Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish), two different GS transcripts are generated by tissue-specific alternative splicing...
- Selective permeability barrier to urea in shark rectal glandJoshua D Zeidel
Laboratory of Epithelial Cell Biology, Renal Electrolyte Division, Dept of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15215, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F83-9. 2005..These results indicate that the rectal gland maintains a selective barrier to urea in its basolateral membranes...
- Copper toxicity in the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias): urea loss contributes to the osmoregulatory disturbanceG De Boeck
Ecophysiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Group, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Aquat Toxicol 84:133-41. 2007Previous research showed that the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias, is much more sensitive to silver exposure than typical marine teleosts...
- Is the alkaline tide a signal to activate metabolic or ionoregulatory enzymes in the dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)?Chris M Wood
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 81:278-87. 2008..We conclude that both the alkaline tide and salt loading/volume expansion act as signals to activate some but not all of the elevated metabolic pathways and ionoregulatory mechanisms needed during processing of a meal...
- Molecular detection and immunological localization of gill Na+/H+ exchanger in the dogfish (Squalus acanthias)James B Claiborne
Department of Biology, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA 30460, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1092-102. 2008The dogfish (Squalus acanthias) can make rapid adjustments to gill acid-base transfers to compensate for internal acidosis/alkalosis...
- Characterization of a novel interaction between the secretory Na+-K+-Cl- cotransporter and the chaperone hsp90Charles F Simard
Nephrology Research Group, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1R 2J6
J Biol Chem 279:48449-56. 2004..Further studies will be required to elucidate the functional relevance of this novel interaction...
- Cadmium accumulation and binding characteristics in intact Sertoli/germ cell units, and associated effects on stage-specific functions in vitro: insights from a shark testis modelLeon M McClusky
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Pretoria, P O Box 2034, Pretoria, South Africa
J Appl Toxicol 28:112-21. 2008..These findings demonstrate that this model has utility for use in screening assays of environmental toxicants...
- Stage-dependency of apoptosis and the blood-testis barrier in the dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias): cadmium-induced changes as assessed by vital fluorescence techniquesLeon M McClusky
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Pretoria, P O Box 2034 Pretoria, South Africa
Cell Tissue Res 325:541-53. 2006..Sharks such as Squalus acanthias provide a suitable model for studying aspects of vertebrate spermatogenosis because of their unique features:..
- The effects of endothelin-1 on the cardiorespiratory physiology of the freshwater trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and the marine dogfish (Squalus acanthias)S F Perry
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Comp Physiol B 171:623-34. 2001..on respiratory gas transfer in the freshwater rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and the marine dogfish (Squalus acanthias). In both species, endothelin-1 (666 pmol kg(-1)) caused a rapid (within 4 min) reduction (ca...
- Glutamine-dependent carbamoyl-phosphate synthetase and other enzyme activities related to the pyrimidine pathway in spleen of Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish)P M Anderson
Department of Biochemistry, University of Minnesota, Duluth 55812
Biochem J 261:523-9. 1989..the enzymology of carbamoyl phosphate formation and utilization for pyrimidine nucleotide biosynthesis in Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish), a representative elasmobranch...
- The relative roles of external and internal CO(2) versus H(+) in eliciting the cardiorespiratory responses of Salmo salar and Squalus acanthias to hypercarbiaS F Perry
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Exp Biol 204:3963-71. 2001..relative contributions of CO(2) versus H(+) in promoting the cardiorespiratory responses of dogfish (Squalus acanthias) and Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) to hypercarbia and to evaluate the relative contributions of externally ..
- Secretion of endolymph by semicircular canals of the sharkJ L Garvin
Laboratory of Kidney and Electrolyte Metabolism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Am J Physiol 255:F711-9. 1988The semicircular canals of the vestibular labyrinth of the dogfish shark, Squalus acanthias, may serve as a simple in vitro system for the study of the ionic transport mechanisms involved in endolymph formation...
- Myocardial oxygen consumption and mechanical efficiency of a perfused dogfish heart preparationP S Davie
Department of Physiology and Anatomy, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Comp Physiol B 162:256-62. 1992Oxygen consumption of an in-pericardium heart preparation from the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) was linearly related to cardiac power output. Basal oxygen consumption, predicted from the regression, was 0.127 microliters.s-1...
- V-H+ -ATPase translocation during blood alkalosis in dogfish gills: interaction with carbonic anhydrase and involvement in the postfeeding alkaline tideMartin Tresguerres
Dept of Biological Sciences, Univ of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R2012-9. 2007..anhydrase (CA) in mediating V-H(+)-ATPase translocation into the basolateral membrane in gills of alkalotic Squalus acanthias. Immunolabeling revealed that CA is localized in the same cells as V-H(+)-ATPase...
- pCMBS-induced swelling of dogfish (Squalus acanthias) rectal gland cells: role of the Na+,K(+)-ATPase and the cytoskeletonA Kleinzeller
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6085
Biochim Biophys Acta 1025:21-31. 1990..sulfonate (pCMBS) and some other organic mercurials produce a swelling of slices of dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) rectal glands, with an uptake of cell Na+ and a loss of K+...
- Vasoactivity and immunoreactivity of fish tachykinins in the vascular system of the spiny dogfishJ Kagstrom
Department of Zoophysiology, Goteborg University, Sweden
Am J Physiol 270:R585-93. 1996..pulsed Doppler technique), dorsal aortic pressure, and heart rate were studied in unrestrained spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias injected with the elasmobranch tachykinins scyliorhinin I and II (SCY I and SCY II), the trout tachykinins ..
- Further evidence for ancient role of ACTH peptides at melanocortin (MC) receptors; pharmacology of dogfish and lamprey peptides at dogfish MC receptorsTatjana Haitina
Department of Neuroscience, Unit of Pharmacology, Uppsala University, BMC, SE 75124 Uppsala, Sweden
Peptides 28:798-805. 2007..paper we synthesized melanocortin peptides from both the sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus) and spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) and tested them on the MC3 and MC4 receptors from spiny dogfish...
- Sensitivity of the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) to waterborne silver exposureG De Boeck
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8S 4K1
Aquat Toxicol 54:261-75. 2001The physiological effects of waterborne silver exposure (added as AgNO(3)) on spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias, were evaluated at 30, 200 and 685 microg silver per l in 30 per thousand seawater...
- GFAP-immunopositive structures in spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias, and little skate, Raia erinacea, brains: differences have evolutionary implicationsM Kalman
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Anat Embryol (Berl) 204:59-80. 2001GFAP expression patterns were compared between the brains of a spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) and a little skate (Raia erinacea). After anesthesia, the animals were perfused with paraformaldehyde...
- The modulatory effects of noradrenaline on vagal control of heart rate in the dogfish, Squalus acanthiasClaudio Agnisola
Bamfield Marine Station, Vancouver Island, British Columbia V0R 1B0, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 76:310-20. 2003..between inhibitory vagal control of the heart and circulating levels of catecholamines in dogfish (Squalus acanthias) were studied using an in situ preparation of the heart, which retained intact its innervation from ..
- Urea and water permeability in dogfish (Squalus acanthias) gillsP Part
Department of Environmental Toxicology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, Sweden
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 119:117-23. 1998....
- Neural control of shark rectal glandJ S Stoff
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, Maine 04672
Am J Physiol 255:R212-6. 1988Veratrum alkaloids stimulated salt secretion by the isolated perfused rectal gland of Squalus acanthias. Stimulation by veratrine was prevented by the nerve channel blockers tetrodotoxin and procaine and was not evident in a preparation ..
- Autocrine and paracrine role of steroids during spermatogenesis: studies in Squalus acanthias and Necturus maculosusG V Callard
Department of Biology, Boston University, Massachusetts 02215
J Exp Zool 261:132-42. 1992Due to a cystic mode of spermatogenesis and zonal testes, the spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) and salamander (Necturus maculosus) are advantageous for studying the relationship between steroidogenesis and germ cell development...
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of squalamine, a novel antiangiogenic agent, in patients with advanced cancersP Bhargava
Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:3912-9. 2001A Phase I study of squalamine, a novel antiangiogenic agent originally isolated from the dogfish shark Squalus acanthias, was conducted in patients with advanced cancers to: (a) determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), dose-limiting ..
- Type IV carbonic anhydrase is present in the gills of spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)K M Gilmour
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R556-67. 2007..carbonic anhydrase (CA) isoform, similar to mammalian type IV CA, in the gills of dogfish (Squalus acanthias)...
- The effect of mercury on chloride secretion in the shark (Squalus acanthias) rectal glandP Silva
Department of Medicine, New England Deaconess Hospital
Comp Biochem Physiol C 103:569-75. 1992....
- Transepithelial organic anion transport by shark choroid plexusAlice R A Villalobos
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salisbury Cove, Maine 04672, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R1308-16. 2002Spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) lateral and IV choroid plexuses (CPs) are ultrastructurally similar to the corresponding tissues of rat. However, shark IV CP is proportionally larger and easily accessible...
- Control of rectal gland secretion by blood acid-base status in the intact dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)Chris M Wood
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 156:220-8. 2007....
- Feeding ecology of five commercial shark species of the Celtic Sea through stable isotope and trace metal analysisN Domi
Marine Research Center MARE, Laboratory for Oceanology, University of Liege, B6c Sart Tilman, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Mar Environ Res 60:551-69. 2005..the black-mouthed catshark Galeus melastomus, the starry smooth hound Mustelus asterias, the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias and the lesser-spotted dogfish Scyliorhinus canicula...
- Branchial CO(2) receptors and cardiorespiratory adjustments during hypercarbia in Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)J E McKendry
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Exp Biol 204:1519-27. 2001Adult Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) were exposed to acute (approximately 20 min) hypercarbia while we monitored arterial blood pressure, systemic vascular resistance (R(S)), cardiac output (V(b)) and frequency (fh) as well as ..
- Accurate determination of Cd, Cr, Cu and Ni in woodlice and their skins--is moulting a means of detoxification?Michael Raessler
Max Planck Institut fuer Biogeochemie, ChemLab, Hans Knoell Strasse 10, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Sci Total Environ 337:83-90. 2005..To match the matrix of the samples very closely, the reference materials Dorm-2, Dogfish Muscle (Squalus acanthias) and SRM 1577b Bovine Liver were used to evaluate the whole analytical process including sample digestion...
- A facilitative urea transporter is localized in the renal collecting tubule of the dogfish Triakis scylliaSusumu Hyodo
Laboratory of Physiology, Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo, 1 15 1 Minamidai, Nakano, Tokyo 164 8639, Japan
J Exp Biol 207:347-56. 2004..isolated a cDNA encoding a UT that is homologous to the facilitative UT cloned from another dogfish species, Squalus acanthias. The Triakis UT mRNA is abundantly expressed in the kidney, while low levels of expression were detected in ..
- Characterization of an endothelin ET(B) receptor in the gill of the dogfish shark Squalus acanthiasD H Evans
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Exp Biol 202:3605-10. 1999..kinetics of (125)I-labeled, human ET-1 to membrane fragments isolated from the gill of the dogfish shark, Squalus acanthias. (125)I-ET-1 bound at a single site, with a dissociation constant (K(d)) and binding site number (B(max)) ..
- Multidrug resistance-associated protein 3 (Mrp3/Abcc3/Moat-D) is expressed in the SAE Squalus acanthias shark embryo-derived cell lineHiroshi Kobayashi
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salisbury Cove, Maine 04672, USA
Zebrafish 4:261-75. 2007..We have derived from the embryo of Squalus acanthias, the spiny dogfish shark, the S. acanthias embryo (SAE) mesenchymal stem cell line...
- Endothelin B receptor Ca2+ signaling in shark vascular smooth muscle: participation of inositol trisphosphate and ryanodine receptorsSusan K Fellner
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Exp Biol 207:3411-7. 2004..measured cytosolic Ca(2+) concentration ([Ca(2+)](i)) in fura-2-loaded VSM of anterior mesenteric artery of Squalus acanthias and show that the ET(B)R agonists IRL 1620 and sarafotoxin S6c (SRX) increase [Ca(2+)](i) in VSM to the same ..
- Central venous pressure and mean circulatory filling pressure in the dogfish Squalus acanthias: adrenergic control and role of the pericardiumErik Sandblom
Dept of Zoology, Göteborg Univ, Box 463, Goteborg S 405 30, Sweden
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 291:R1465-73. 2006..Venous capacitance was estimated in the dogfish Squalus acanthias by measuring the mean circulatory filling pressure (MCFP) during transient occlusion of cardiac outflow...
- Adenosine/nitric oxide crosstalk in the branchial circulation of Squalus acanthias and Anguilla anguillaD Pellegrino
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, CS, Italy
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 142:198-204. 2005..the actions of AD in fish, we have analysed this question in the branchial vasculature of the elasmobranch Squalus acanthias and the teleost Anguilla anguilla using an isolated perfused head and a branchial basket preparation, ..
- Na(+)-D-glucose cotransporter in the kidney of Squalus acanthias: molecular identification and intrarenal distributionThorsten Althoff
Max Planck Institut fur molekulare Physiologie, Abteilung Epithelphysiologie, Otto Hahn Strasse 11, 44227 Dortmund, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R1094-104. 2006..mammalian Na(+)-d-glucose cotransporters (SGLT), a cDNA was cloned from the kidney of spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)...
- An evolutionary view on tooth development and replacement in wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.)A Huysseune
Biology Department, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Evol Dev 10:6-14. 2008..of tooth replacement in Atlantic salmon displays several characters similar to those observed in the shark Squalus acanthias. To interpret similarities in tooth replacement between Atlantic salmon and chondrichthyans as a case of ..
- Hard prey, soft jaws and the ontogeny of feeding mechanics in the spotted ratfish Hydrolagus collieiDaniel R Huber
Department of Biology, University of Tampa, 401 W Kennedy Boulevard, Box U, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
J R Soc Interface 5:941-52. 2008..The jaw adductors of H. colliei fatigued more rapidly than those of the piscivorous spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias as well. The feeding mechanism of H...
- Neuropeptide control of the cardiovascular system in fish and reptilesS Holmgren
Department of Zoophysiology, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Braz J Med Biol Res 28:1207-16. 1995..cod (Gadus morhua) as in most mammalian species, but increases gut vascular resistance in the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)...
- Mechanical properties of the hyomandibula in four shark speciesJordan P Balaban
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 323:1-9. 2015..were measured in four species of sharks (white-spotted bamboo, Chiloscyllium plagiosum; spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias; sandbar, Carcharhinus plumbeus; and dusky smoothhound, Mustelus canis)...
- Exposure to acute severe hypoxia leads to increased urea loss and disruptions in acid-base and ionoregulatory balance in dogfish sharks (Squalus acanthias)Alex M Zimmer
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada 2Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, Bamfield, British Columbia V0R 1B0, Canada 3Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada, and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33149
Physiol Biochem Zool 87:623-39. 2014..5% air O2 saturation; 4-h exposure) hypoxia on N-waste, acid-base, and ion balance in dogfish sharks (Squalus acanthias suckleyi) were evaluated...
- Cardiovascular control via angiotensin II and circulating catecholamines in the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthiasN J Bernier
Bamfield Marine Station, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
J Comp Physiol B 169:237-48. 1999..However, during a hypotensive stress elicited by vascular smooth muscle relaxation. Ang II indirectly contributes to cardiovascular control by dose-dependently stimulating catecholamine release...
- Built for speed: strain in the cartilaginous vertebral columns of sharksM E Porter
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA Department of Biology, Vassar College, 124 Raymond Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603, USA Electronic address
Zoology (Jena) 117:19-27. 2014..sonomicrometry to directly measure in vivo and in situ strains of intervertebral joints and vertebrae of Squalus acanthias swimming in a flume...
- Spectral sensitivity, luminous sensitivity, and temporal resolution of the visual systems in three sympatric temperate coastal shark speciesMieka Kalinoski
Oceanographic Center, Nova Southeastern University, 8000 N Ocean Drive, Dania Beach, FL, 33004, USA
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 200:997-1013. 2014..distant) coastal shark species: Carcharhinus plumbeus (sandbar shark), Mustelus canis (smooth dogfish), and Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish)...
- Isolation of anti-toxin single domain antibodies from a semi-synthetic spiny dogfish shark display libraryJinny L Liu
Center for Bio Molecular Science and Engineering, Code 6920, Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Ave, SW, Washington, DC 20375, USA
BMC Biotechnol 7:78. 2007..In this report, we construct and characterize a diversity enhanced semi-synthetic NAR V display library based on naturally occurring NAR V sequences...
- Structural characterization of Na,K-ATPase from shark rectal glands by extensive trypsinizationMikael Esmann
Department of Biophysics, Institute of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Biochemistry 45:954-63. 2006Extensive trypsinization of Na,K-ATPase from the salt gland of Squalus acanthias removes about half of the extramembranous protein mass of the alpha-subunit, while leaving the beta-subunit intact...
- Coordination of spermatogenic processes in the testis: lessons from cystic spermatogenesisLeon Mendel McClusky
Faculty of Health and Society, Narvik University College, Norway
Cell Tissue Res 349:703-15. 2012....
- Levels of mercury in muscle and liver of star-spotted dogfish (Mustelus manazo) from the northern region of Japan: a comparison with spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)Tetsuya Endo
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, 1757, Ishikari Tobetsu, Hokkaido, 061 0293, Japan
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 64:467-74. 2013..Mustelus manazo) caught off the northern region of Japan and compared them with those of spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) caught in the same region...
- Organ-related distribution of phospholemman in the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthiasF M A H Schuurmans Stekhoven
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld, 1, The Netherlands
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 303:1008-11. 2003The distribution of phospholemman among nine different organs of the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) has been determined on the basis of Western blotting of microsomal material...
- beta-adrenergic regulation of a novel isoform of NCX: sequence and expression of shark heart NCX in human kidney cellsEinsley Janowski
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H1994-2006. 2009..Here we investigated the bimodal, cAMP-dependent regulation of spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) cardiac NCX, exploring the effects of molecular structure, host cell environment, and ionic milieu...
- mRNAs located in Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish) oligodendrocyte processesNicholas Pahl
IBR, Staten Island, New York 10314, USA
Biol Bull 203:217-8. 2002
- Polyvalent cation receptor proteins (CaRs) are salinity sensors in fishJ Nearing
MariCal, Portland, ME 04101, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9231-6. 2002..1-kb cDNA encoding a 1,027-aa dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) kidney CaR...
- Reassessment of spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias age and growth using vertebrae and dorsal-fin spinesW J Bubley
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Biomedical Sciences, University of New Hampshire, Kendall Hall, 129 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824, USA
J Fish Biol 80:1300-19. 2012Male and female spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias were collected in the western North Atlantic Ocean in the Gulf of Maine between July 2006 and June 2009...
- Ontogenetic scaling of caudal fin shape in Squalus acanthias (Chondrichthyes, Elasmobranchii): a geometric morphometric analysis with implications for caudal fin functional morphologyKatie L Reiss
Department of Biological Sciences, Western Illinois University, Macomb, Illinois, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293:1184-91. 2010..We examined ontogenetic and sex-related shape changes in the caudal fins of 115 Squalus acanthias museum specimens, to test the hypothesis that significant shape changes in the caudal fin shape occur with ..
- Vasoactive receptors in abdominal blood vessels of the dogfish shark, Squalus acanthiasD H Evans
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, Maine 04672, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 74:120-6. 2001Previous studies have demonstrated that the ventral aorta of the dogfish shark, Squalus acanthias, responds to a variety of cell-signaling agents...
- Body fluid osmolytes and urea and ammonia flux in the colon of two chondrichthyan fishes, the ratfish, Hydrolagus colliei, and spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthiasW Gary Anderson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 161:27-35. 2012..in two species of chondrichthyans, the ratfish, Hydrolagus colliei (a holocephalan) and the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias (an elasmobranch)...
- Reproductive endocrinology of female elasmobranchs: lessons from the little skate (Raja erinacea) and spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)T J Koob
Skeletal Biology, Shriners Hospital for Children, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Exp Zool 284:557-74. 1999..An understanding of the adaptations in ovarian dynamics to particular ovulatory cycles is key to developing theories about the evolution of reproductive strategies in female elasmobranchs. J. Exp. Zool. 284:557-574, 1999...
- Marine organism cell biology and regulatory sequence discoveryin comparative functional genomicsDavid W Barnes
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Center for Marine Functional Genomics Studies, P O Box 35, Old Bar Harbour Road, Salisbury Cove, MA, 04672, USA
Cytotechnology 46:123-37. 2004..intestinalis, Tetraodon nigroviridis, Danio rerio) as well as in the elasmobranchs, spiny dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) and little skate (Raja erinacea), and marine invertebrate models such as the sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus ..
- Nephrogenesis is induced by partial nephrectomy in the elasmobranch Leucoraja erinaceaMarlies Elger
Department of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:1506-18. 2003..Am J Anat 190: 309-333, 1991), as well as in the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias and the little skate, Leucoraja erinacea...
- 28S and 18S rDNA sequences support the monophyly of lampreys and hagfishesJ Mallatt
Department of Zoology, Washington State University, Pullman 99164 4236, USA
Mol Biol Evol 15:1706-18. 1998..hagfish Eptatretus stouti, the lamprey Petromyzon marinus, and cartilaginous fishes Hydrolagus colliei and Squalus acanthias and were then analyzed with previously reported 28S and 18S rDNA sequences from other chordates...
- Escape manoeuvres in the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)Paolo Domenici
CNR IAMC, c o International Marine Centre, Loc Sa Mardini, 09072 Torregrande, Oristano, Italy
J Exp Biol 207:2339-49. 2004....
- Fetal bovine serum simultaneously stimulates apoptosis and DNA synthesis in premeiotic stages of spermatogenesis in spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) in vitro: modulation by androgen and spermatogenic activity statusLeon Mendel McClusky
Department of Health and Nursing Science, Narvik University College, P O Box 385, Narvik 8505, Norway
Apoptosis 13:649-58. 2008..Results are discussed in the context of the alternating germ-Sertoli cell population kinetics of early-stage spermatogonial cysts in Squalus acanthias's protracted testicular cycle.
- Ionic strength and the polyvalent cation receptor of shark rectal gland and arterySusan K Fellner
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol 301:235-9. 2004The dogfish shark Squalus acanthias regulates plasma osmolality and extracellular volume by secreting a fluid from its rectal gland which has a higher NaCl and lower urea concentration than plasma...
- Aquaporin 4 is a Ubiquitously Expressed Isoform in the Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) SharkChristopher P Cutler
Department of Biology, Georgia Southern University Statesboro, GA, USA
Front Physiol 2:107. 2011..Similarly AQP4 expressing-oocytes did not exhibit enhanced urea or glycerol permeability, which is also consistent with the water-selective property of AQP4 in other species...
- Characterization of the shark myelin Po proteinL Rotenstein
California State University Northridge, Biology Department, Northridge, Calif, USA
Brain Behav Evol 72:48-58. 2008..We found that sharks have more than two isoforms (32, 28 and 25 kD), and that some of these might not be fully functional because they lack the domains known for Po homophilic adhesion...
- Amino acid sequence of dogfish trypsinK Titani
Biochemistry 14:1358-66. 1975The amino acid sequence of pancreatic trypsin from the spiny Pacific dogfish (Squalus acanthias) has been determined and compared with the sequences of bovine and porcine trypsin...
- ETB-type receptors mediate endothelin-stimulated contraction in the aortic vascular smooth muscle of the spiny dogfish shark, Squalus acanthiasD H Evans
Mt Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, ME 04672, USA
J Comp Physiol B 165:659-64. 1996..the sensitivity to endothelin of the vascular smooth muscle of the ventral aorta of the spiny dogfish shark, Squalus acanthias. Human endothelin-1 produced significant contraction of isolated vascular smooth muscle rings, with an EC50 ..
- Elevated levels of trimethylamine oxide in deep-sea fish: evidence for synthesis and intertissue physiological importanceJason R Treberg
Ocean Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland St John s, Newfoundland, Canada, A1C 5S7
J Exp Zool 293:39-45. 2002..No correlation was found between TMAoxi activity and TMAO content. The elasmobranchs in this study, Squalus acanthias and Centroscyllium fabricii from shallow and deep water, respectively, were both squaliform sharks...
- The synthesis of spermine analogs of the shark aminosterol squalamineYouheng Shu
Chemistry Department, Villanova University, Villanova, PA 19085, USA
Steroids 67:291-304. 2002Aminosterols isolated from the dogfish shark Squalus acanthias are promising therapeutic agents in the treatment of infection and cancer...
- Functional expression of Squalus acanthias melanocortin-5 receptor in CHO cells: ligand selectivity and interaction with MRAPChristina L Reinick
University of Denver, Department of Biological Sciences, Denver, CO 80210, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 680:1-7. 2012The melanocortin-5 receptor (MC(5)) of the dogfish Squalus acanthias (SacMC(5) receptor) can be functionally expressed in CHO cells in the absence of the co-expression of an exogenous MRAP cDNA...
- Trophic interactions and distribution of some Squaliforme sharks, including new diet descriptions for Deania calcea and Squalus acanthiasMatthew R Dunn
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
PLoS ONE 8:e59938. 2013..The diets of 133 Deania calcea and 295 Squalus acanthias were determined from examination of stomach contents. The diet of D...
- Forebrain organization in elasmobranchsMichael H Hofmann
Department of Comparative Neuroanatomy, Institute of Zoology, University of Bonn, Germany
Brain Behav Evol 80:142-51. 2012..in two elasmobranch species: the thornback guitarfish, Platyrhinoidis triseriata, and the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias. Tracers were injected into various parts of the forebrain and olfactory pathways were found to be extensive ..
- Morphological features of coronary arteries and lesions in hearts from five species of sharks collected from the northwestern Atlantic OceanJ D Borucinska
Department of Biology, University of Hartford, West Hartford, CT 06117 1559, USA
J Fish Dis 35:741-53. 2012..the smooth dogfish, Mustelus canis (Mitchill), and spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias L. Sharks were collected from the northwestern Atlantic between June and August from 1996 to 2010...
- A structural view on the functional importance of the sugar moiety and steroid hydroxyls of cardiotonic steroids in binding to Na,K-ATPaseFlemming Cornelius
Department of Biomedicine, University of Aarhus, Ole Worms Allé 6, Building 1180, 8000 Aarhus C 8000, Denmark
J Biol Chem 288:6602-16. 2013..The results are discussed with reference to the recent crystal structures of Na,K-ATPase in the unbound and ouabain-bound states...
- Regulation of Na,K-ATPase by PLMS, the phospholemman-like protein from shark: molecular cloning, sequence, expression, cellular distribution, and functional effects of PLMSYasser A Mahmmoud
Department of Biophysics, University of Aarhus, Ole Worms Alle 185, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Biol Chem 278:37427-38. 2003..the complete coding sequence, expression, and cellular localization of PLMS in the rectal gland of the shark Squalus acanthias. The mature protein contained 74 amino acids, including the N-terminal FXYD motif and a C-terminal protein ..
- Three neuropeptide Y receptor genes in the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias, support en bloc duplications in early vertebrate evolutionErik Salaneck
Department of Neuroscience, Unit of Pharmacology, Evolutionary Biology Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Biol Evol 20:1271-80. 2003..the cloning of three neuropeptide Y (NPY) receptor genes belonging to the Y1 subfamily in the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias, a cartilaginous fish...
- Divergent CFTR orthologs respond differently to the channel inhibitors CFTRinh-172, glibenclamide, and GlyH-101Maximilian Stahl
Nephrology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510 3222, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 302:C67-76. 2012....
- Texas Red transport across rat and dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) choroid plexusValeska Reichel
Institute of Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology, INF 366, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1311-9. 2008..in lateral choroid plexus (CP) isolated from rat and an evolutionarily ancient vertebrate, dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)...
- Relationship between oxidizable fatty acid content and level of antioxidant glutathione peroxidases in marine fishJeffrey M Grim
Ohio University, Department of Biological Sciences, Athens, OH 45701, USA
J Exp Biol 214:3751-9. 2011..phospholipid composition in livers of five species of marine fish (Myxine glutinosa, Petromyzon marinus, Squalus acanthias, Fundulus heteroclitus and Myoxocephalus octodecemspinosus) that contain a range of PUFA...
- Expression of vitellogenin receptor in the ovarian follicles during the reproductive cycle of the spotted ray Torpedo marmorata Risso 1880Giuseppina Del Giudice
Department of Biological Sciences, Evolutionary and Comparative Biology Division, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 315:585-92. 2011..shows a high identity with the VTGR of other vertebrates, particularly Leucoraja erinacea (89% identity) and Squalus acanthias (84% identity)...
- Spatio-temporal and species-specific variation in PBDE levels/patterns in British Columbia's coastal watersMichael G Ikonomou
Marine Environmental Quality, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 9860 W Saanich Road, Sidney, British Columbia V8L 4B2, Canada
Environ Pollut 140:355-63. 2006..muscle tissues of Dungeness crab (Cancer magister), English sole (Pleuronectes vetulus) and spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)...
- Squalamine as a broad-spectrum systemic antiviral agent with therapeutic potentialMichael Zasloff
Transplant Institute, Department of Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:15978-83. 2011..Here, we show that squalamine, a compound previously isolated from the tissues of the dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) and the sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus), exhibits broad-spectrum antiviral activity against human ..
- Contractile properties of the elasmobranch rectal glandD H Evans
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Exp Biol 204:59-67. 2001..To confirm the presence of the muscle ring, we examined histological sections from two species of shark, Squalus acanthias and Carcharodon carcharius, and from the stingray Dasyatis sabina and stained sections from S...
- Microsatellite loci within sixgill sharks, Hexanchus griseusShawn Larson
Seattle Aquarium, 1483 Alaskan Way, Pier 59, Seattle, WA 98101 2059, USA, Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, 1201 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98101 2795, USA
Mol Ecol Resour 9:978-81. 2009..20-0.73, H(E) = 0.59-0.94 and F(IS) = -0.47-0.58), Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) (a = 3-13, H(O) = 0.00-0.96, H(E) = 0.24-0.93 and F(IS) =-0.52-1...
- A spermine-coupled cholesterol metabolite from the shark with potent appetite suppressant and antidiabetic propertiesM Zasloff
Magainin Pharmaceuticals, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania 19462, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:689-97. 2001....
- Extracellular carbonic anhydrase in the dogfish, Squalus acanthias: a role in CO2 excretionK M Gilmour
Bamfield Marine Station, Bamfield, British Columbia V0R 1B0, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 74:477-92. 2001In Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias), plasma CO(2) reactions have access to plasma carbonic anhydrase (CA) and gill membrane-associated CA...
- CELLULAR ASPECTS OF ACTIVE TRANSPORTRoy Forster; Fiscal Year: 1980..in isolated renal tubules of the flounder (Pseudopleuronectus americanus) and in the dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias)...
- Cell and Molecular Biology of Marine ElasmobranchsDavid Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2006..biological mechanisms of significance to human health, and world center for the use of the dogfish shark (Squalus acanthias) and little skate (Raja erinacea) as research models...
- STRESS MODULATION OF CHOLINE TRANSPORT BY CHOROID PLEXUSAlice Villalobos; Fiscal Year: 2002..Therefore, a greater understanding of the energetics and modulation of medicated choline transport across the CSF-blood barrier would allow more effective prevention, management and treatment of such disorders. ..
- MODULATION OF CHOROID PLEXUS CHOLINE TRANSPORT BY METALSAlice Villalobos; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM AND REGULATION OF ACTIN-BASED RETROGRADE FLOWJOHN HENSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..4. To study the inducible transformation of coelomocytes from a lamellipodial to a filopodial form. ..
- The biology of gastrin-ferric ion complexesGRAHAM BALDWIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Recognition that metal ions are essential for the biological activity of NAGs may permit the development of novel therapies for colon cancer. ..