Summary: A genus of toxic marine GREEN ALGAE found throughout tropical and subtropical seas. One species, Caulerpa taxifolia, is highly invasive and produces the poison caulerpenyne, deadly to marine organisms though not humans.
Publications123 found, 100 shown here
- The Caulerpa racemosa invasion: a critical reviewJudith Klein
Universite de la Mediterranee, Centre d Oceanologie de Marseille, DIMAR UMR 6540, Parc Scientifique et Technologique de Luminy, Marseille Cedex 9, France
Mar Pollut Bull 56:205-25. 2008b>Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea is a marine Chlorophyta introduced into the Mediterranean Sea from south-western Australia. Since 1990, it has been invading the Mediterranean Sea and the Canary Islands, raising ecological problems...
- Variations in the concentration of phenolic compounds in the seagrass Posidonia oceanica under conditions of competitionOlivier Dumay
Equipe Ecosystèmes Littoraux, Université de Corse, FST, SP 52, F 20 250 Corte, France
Phytochemistry 65:3211-20. 2004..of phenolic compound was measured in the seagrass Posidonia oceanica when interacting with two Bryopsidophyceae, Caulerpa taxifolia and Caulerpa racemosa, between May 1999 and May 2000...
- Biosorption of Cu2+, Cd2+, Pb2+, and Zn2+ using dried marine green macroalga Caulerpa lentilliferaPrasert Pavasant
Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Bioresour Technol 97:2321-9. 2006The sorption of Cu2+, Cd2+, Pb2+, and Zn2+ by a dried green macroalga Caulerpa lentillifera was investigated. The removal efficiency increased with pH...
- Antioxidant activities of four edible seaweeds from the southern coast of ThailandMonsuang Yangthong
Department of Aquatic Science, Faculty of Natural Resources, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Thailand
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 64:218-23. 2009The aqueous extracts of four marine algae, Caulerpa racemosa var. macrophysa, Gracilaria tenuistipitata var. tenuistipitata, Sargassum sp...
- The antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of caulerpin, a bisindole alkaloid isolated from seaweeds of the genus CaulerpaEverton Tenório de Souza
LaFI Laboratório de Farmacologia e Imunidade, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas e da Saúde, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceió AL, Brazil
Mar Drugs 7:689-704. 2009..This bisindole alkaloid was isolated from the lipoid extract of Caulerpa racemosa and its structure was identified by spectroscopic methods, including IR and NMR techniques...
- Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of lectin from the marine green alga Caulerpa cupressoidesEdfranck Sousa Oliveira Vanderlei
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 10:1113-8. 2010..The aim of this work was to investigate the effect of the purified lectin from the green marine alga Caulerpa cupressoides (CcL) in classical models of nociception and inflammation. Male Swiss mice received i.v...
- Two novel aromatic valerenane-type sesquiterpenes from the Chinese green alga Caulerpa taxifoliaShui Chun Mao
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Zu Chong Zi Rd 555, Zhangjiang Hi Tech Park, Shanghai 201203, PR China
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 16:2947-50. 2006..carbon skeleton, along with one known metabolite, caulerpin (4), have been isolated from the Chinese green alga Caulerpa taxifolia (Vahl) C. Agardh...
- Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activity from algae of the genus CaulerpaCarolina Babosa Brito da Matta
LaFI Laboratory of Pharmacology and Immunity, Institute of Biological Sciences and Health, Federal University of Alagoas, 57020 720, Maceio, AL, Brazil
Mar Drugs 9:307-18. 2011..activity of the methanolic (ME), acetate (AE), hexanic (HE) and chloroform (CE) extracts obtained from Caulerpa mexicana, and ME, CE and HE obtained from Caulerpa sertularioides...
- Aqueous and methanolic extracts of Caulerpa mexicana suppress cell migration and ear edema induced by inflammatory agentsMariana Angelica Oliveira Bitencourt
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, Avenida Salgado Filho, BR 101, University Campus, Lagoa Nova, 59078 900, Natal, RN, Brazil
Mar Drugs 9:1332-45. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of extracts of green algae Caulerpa mexicana on models inflammation. In mice, the inflammatory peritonitis model is induced by zymosan...
- Variable direct and indirect effects of a habitat-modifying invasive species on mortality of native faunaJames E Byers
Department of Zoology, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
Ecology 91:1787-98. 2010..The alga Caulerpa taxifolia is one of the most successful invasive species of shallow-water marine systems globally, often ..
- Removal of malachite green by using an invasive marine alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindraceaZehra Bekçi
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry, Division of Physical Chemistry, 35160 Kaynaklar Campus, Izmir, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 161:1454-60. 2009The biosorption of a cationic dye, malachite green oxalate (MG) from aqueous solution onto an invasive marine alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea (CRC) was investigated at different temperatures (298, 308 and 318 K)...
- The Caulerpa pigment caulerpin inhibits HIF-1 activation and mitochondrial respirationYang Liu
Department of Pharmacognosy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi 38677, and Department of Biology, University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi 38677
J Nat Prod 72:2104-9. 2009..In a T47D cell-based reporter assay, the Caulerpa spp...
- Vulnerability of marine habitats to the invasive green alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea within a marine protected areaStelios Katsanevakis
Institute of Marine Biological Resources, Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, Anavyssos 19013, Greece
Mar Environ Res 70:210-8. 2010The relative vulnerability of various habitat types to Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea invasion was investigated in the National Marine Park of Zakynthos (Ionian Sea, Greece). The density of C...
- Immunostimulatory activity of polysaccharides isolated from Caulerpa lentillifera on macrophage cellsReiko Maeda
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 76:501-5. 2012Polysaccharides were extracted from Caulerpa lentillifera by treating with water and then purified by size-exclusion chromatography...
- Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of a sulfated polysaccharide isolated from the green seaweed Caulerpa cupressoidesJosé A G Rodrigues
Northeast Biotechnology Network, Federal University of Ceara, Campus do Pici, Fortaleza, Ceara, Av Mister Hull, CEP 60455 760, Brazil
Pharmacol Rep 64:282-92. 2012..b>Caulerpa curpressoides (Chlorophyta) presents three SPs fractions (Cc-SP1, Cc-SP2, and Cc-SP3)...
- The seaweed Caulerpa racemosa on Mediterranean rocky reefs: from passenger to driver of ecological changeFabio Bulleri
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Pisa, CoNISMa, via Derna 1, Pisa 56126, Italy
Ecology 91:2205-12. 2010..We evaluated whether the exotic seaweed, Caulerpa racemosa, is the primary cause of degradation (i.e...
- The spread of Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea in the Mediterranean Sea: an example of how biological invasions can influence beta diversityLuigi Piazzi
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Pisa, Via A Volta 6, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Mar Environ Res 65:50-61. 2008The present study aims to evaluate if invasion of Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea can affect both alpha and beta diversity in Mediterranean coastal system...
- Changes in amphipod (Crustacea) assemblages associated with shallow-water algal habitats invaded by Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea in the western Mediterranean SeaM Vázquez-Luis
Centro de Investigación Marina de Santa Pola CIMAR, Ayto de Santa Pola y Univ de Alicante, Torre d Enmig s n, Cabo de Santa Pola, Alicante, Spain
Mar Environ Res 65:416-26. 2008The effects of the invasive species Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea (hereafter C. racemosa) on amphipod assemblages associated with shallow-water rocky habitats were studied...
- In vitro anti-herpetic activity of sulfated polysaccharide fractions from Caulerpa racemosaPartha Ghosh
Department of Chemistry, University of Burdwan, Burdwan 713 104, WB, India
Phytochemistry 65:3151-7. 2004A sulfated polysaccharide fraction was isolated from the hot water extract of the green alga Caulerpa racemosa and designated HWE...
- Wound closure in the invasive green alga Caulerpa taxifolia by enzymatic activation of a protein cross-linkerSven Adolph
Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Jena, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:2806-8. 2005
- Algal growth and species composition under experimental control of herbivory, phosphorus and coral abundance in Glovers Reef, BelizeT R McClanahan
The Wildlife Conservation Society, Mombasa, Kenya
Mar Pollut Bull 44:441-51. 2002..however, have a higher abundance of the chemically and morphologically defended erect algal species including Caulerpa cupressoides, Laurencia obtusa, Dictyota menstrualis and Lobophora variegata...
- Calcium carbonate phosphate binding ion exchange filtration and accelerated denitrification improve public health standards and combat eutrophication in aquatic ecosystemsVijay Yanamadala
Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, California, USA
Water Environ Res 77:3003-12. 2005..for reduction of ammonia were tested, including aeration, use of fiber growth media, and plants, mainly Caulerpa verticellata, chosen for it hardiness, primarily in an attempt to increase population of Nitrobacter and ..
- Caulerpenyne interferes with microtubule-dependent events during the first mitotic cycle of sea urchin eggsD Pesando
Laboratoire de Physiologie et Toxicologie Environnementales, EA 2138, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, France
Eur J Cell Biol 77:19-26. 1998Caulerpenyne (Cyn), the major secondary metabolite synthesized by the green alga Caulerpa taxifolia proliferating in the Mediterranean Sea, is a cytotoxic sesquiterpene...
- Palatability of macroalgae that use different types of chemical defensesAmy A Erickson
Smithsonian Marine Station, 701 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, FL 34949, USA
J Chem Ecol 32:1883-95. 2006..The potential defense systems present include (1) the terpenoid caulerpenyne and its activated products from Caulerpa spp., and (2) dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP)-related defenses in Ulva spp...
- Demographic feedback between clonal growth and fragmentation in an invasive seaweedJ T Wright
Institute for Conservation Biology and School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales 2522, Australia
Ecology 87:1744-54. 2006..test of the relative importance of these two processes in determining the abundance of a clonal seaweed using Caulerpa taxifolia, an invasive green alga that spreads rapidly and reaches very high abundance...
- Using genetic techniques to investigate the sources of the invasive alga Caulerpa taxifolia in three new locations in AustraliaBritta Schaffelke
CSIRO Marine Research, Centre for Research on Marine Introduced Pests CRIMP, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Mar Pollut Bull 44:204-10. 2002The invasive green alga Caulerpa taxifolia has gained a high profile due to 'outbreaks' in the Mediterranean and California. During the year 2000 three new discrete locations colonised by abundant C...
- Biological invasions as a component of global change in stressed marine ecosystemsA Occhipinti-Ambrogi
Section of Ecology, Department of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Pavia, Via S Epifanio 14, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Mar Pollut Bull 46:542-51. 2003..The spread of the tropical algae belonging to the genus Caulerpa in the northwestern basin of the Mediterranean Sea has been facilitated by pre-existing conditions of instability ..
- Are the Mediterranean ascoglossan molluscs Oxynoe olivacea and Lobiger serradifalci suitable agents for a biological control against the invading tropical alga Caulerpa taxifolia?T Thibaut
Laboratoire environnement marin littoral, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Faculte des Sciences, France
C R Acad Sci III 323:477-88. 2000..ascoglossan Oxynoe olivacea and Lobiger serradifalci, which are scarce in meadows of their usual food the alga Caulerpa prolifera, have become adapted to feeding on the invading tropical alga Caulerpa taxifolia...
- Variations in caulerpenyne contents in Caulerpa taxifolia and Caulerpa racemosaOlivier Dumay
Equipe Ecosystèmes Littoraux, Université de Corse, Corte, France
J Chem Ecol 28:343-52. 2002Caulerpenyne (CYN) contents was measured in two Chlorophyceae algae, Caulerpa taxifolia and Caulerpa racemosa, between July 1999 and July 2000...
- Constituents of Chondria armataM B Govenkar
National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa, India
Phytochemistry 54:979-81. 2000..The pigment caulerpin hitherto known to be a constituent of green algae of genus Caulerpa is being reported here for the first time from a red alga.
- Sublethal effects on reproduction in native fauna: are females more vulnerable to biological invasion?Paul E Gribben
Centre for Marine Biofouling and Bio Innovation, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2052, Australia
Oecologia 149:352-61. 2006..Using a model marine system we show that the widespread mat-forming invasive alga Caulerpa taxifolia (Vahl) C...
- Peripheral antinociception and anti-inflammatory effects of sulphated polysaccharides from the alga Caulerpa mexicanaJosé Gerardo Carneiro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Ceará, Acaraú, Brazil
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 115:335-42. 2014..In this study, we evaluated the effects of sulphated polysaccharides from the green marine alga Caulerpa mexicana (Cm-SPs) in nociceptive and inflammatory models in rodents. Cm-SPs (10 or 20 mg/kg), administered i.v...
- Assessment of mechanisms involved in antinociception produced by the alkaloid caulerpineLuiz Henrique Agra Cavalcante-Silva
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Immunity, Institute of Biological Sciences and Health, Federal University of Alagoas, Maceió 57020 720, Brazil
Molecules 19:14699-709. 2014..works we showed that oral administration of caulerpine, a bisindole alkaloid isolated from algae of the genus Caulerpa, produced antinociception when assessed in chemical and thermal models of nociception...
- Ecological structure and function differs between habitats dominated by seagrasses and green seaweedsFernando Tuya
Centro en Biodiversidad y Gestión Ambiental, Marine Sciences Faculty, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain Electronic address
Mar Environ Res 98:1-13. 2014..we compared ecosystem structure and function between Cymodocea nodosa seagrass meadows and bottoms dominated by Caulerpa prolifera, a green, native, rhizophytic seaweed, through 5 ecological proxies: (i) primary production (via ..
- Subtle effects of biological invasions: cellular and physiological responses of fish eating the exotic pest Caulerpa racemosaSerena Felline
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche ed Ambientali, Universita del Salento, CoNISMa, Lecce, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e38763. 2012The green alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea has invaded Mediterranean seabed including marine reserves, modifying the structure of habitats and altering the distributional patterns of associated organisms...
- Polymerase chain reaction-single strand conformation polymorphism analyses of nuclear and chloroplast DNA provide evidence for recombination, multiple introductions and nascent speciation in the Caulerpa taxifolia complexI Meusnier
Laboratoire de Genetique et Evolution des Populations Vegetales, UPRESA CNRS 8016, Bat SN2, Universite de Lille I, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq cedex, France
Mol Ecol 11:2317-25. 2002Independent lines of evidence support an Australian origin for the Mediterranean populations of the tropical alga Caulerpa taxifolia...
- New caulerpenyne-derived metabolites of an Elysia sacoglossan from the South Indian coastM Letizia Ciavatta
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, CNR, Via Campi Flegrei 34, I 80078 Pozzuoli Na, Italy
Molecules 11:808-16. 2006..expansa, collected along South Indian coasts, showed the presence of the typical Caulerpa-derived sesquiterpene caulerpenyne (1) and two new minor co- occurring metabolites, the compounds ..
- Physiological response of the sea urchin Paracentrotus lividus fed with the seagrass Posidonia oceanica and the alien algae Caulerpa racemosa and Lophocladia lallemandiiSilvia Tejada
Experimental Laboratory, Research Unit, Son Llatzer Hospital, IUNICS, Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain
Mar Environ Res 83:48-53. 2013..Sea urchins were fed during three months with the native seagrass Posidonia oceanica, and the alien macroalgae Caulerpa racemosa and Lophocladia lallemandii and biochemical analysis were performed in the gonads...
- Mechanisms influencing the spread of a native marine algaDilys Zhang
Plant Functional Biology and Climate Change Cluster, University of Technology, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e94647. 2014..There is evidence that the native alga Caulerpa filiformis is spreading along intertidal rocky shores in New South Wales, Australia, seemingly at the expense of ..
- Improving transferability of introduced species' distribution models: new tools to forecast the spread of a highly invasive seaweedHeroen Verbruggen
School of Botany, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e68337. 2013..Our multifactorial experiment focuses on the notorious invasive seaweed Caulerpa cylindracea (previously Caulerpa racemosa var...
- Antioxidative activities of algal keto carotenoids acting as antioxidative protectants in the chloroplastMichael Dambeck
J W Goethe Universitat, Institute of Molecular Bioscience, Frankfurt, Germany
Photochem Photobiol 90:814-9. 2014..fatty acid monoesters, were isolated and purified from Amphidinium carterae, Phaeodactylum tricornutum, Caulerpa taxifolia and Haematococcus pluvialis, respectively...
- Seaweeds along KwaZulu-Natal Coast of South Africa--4: Elemental uptake by edible seaweed Caulerpa racemosa (sea grapes) and the arsenic speciationNatasha Misheer
School of Chemistry, Westville Campus, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 41:1217-33. 2006The elemental uptake by edible seaweed Caulerpa racemosa (Sea grapes), a marine macroalgae (chlorophyta, green alga) grown richly along KwaZulu-Natal coastline...
- Evaluation of Turkish seaweeds for antiprotozoal, antimycobacterial and cytotoxic activitiesSevda Süzgeç-Selçuk
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Phytother Res 25:778-83. 2011..pedicellata (IC(50) 0.38 µg/mL), Codium bursa (IC(50) 1.38 µg/mL) and Caulerpa rasemosa (IC(50) 3.12 µg/mL)...
- Sulfated polysaccharides isolated from the green seaweed Caulerpa racemosa plays antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities in a way dependent on HO-1 pathway activationNatássia Albuquerque Ribeiro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, 60455 760, Brazil
Inflamm Res 63:569-80. 2014..study, we investigated the potential antinociceptive activity of a sulfated polysaccharide obtained from the green seaweed Caulerpa racemosa (CrII) and the involvement of the hemoxigenase-1 (HO-1) pathway in its anti-inflammatory effect.
- [Marine algae of Baja California Sur, Mexico: nutritional value]Silvia Carrillo Domínguez
Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Laboratorio de Macroalgas, Centro Interdisciplinario de Ciencias Marinas, Mexico
Arch Latinoam Nutr 52:400-5. 2002..The algae studied were Green (Ulva spp., Enteromorpha intestinalis, Caulerpa sertularoides, Bryopsis hypnoides), Red (Laurencia johnstonii, Spyridia filamentosa, Hypnea valentiae) and Brown (..
- The effects of Caulerpa microphysa enzyme-digested extracts on ACE-inhibitory activity and in vitro anti-tumour propertiesHui Chiu Lin
Penghu Marine Biology Research Center, Fisheries Research Institute, Coa, EY, no 8, Xinggang N St, Magung City, Penghu County 880, Taiwan, ROC
Food Chem 134:2235-41. 2012The aim of this study was to determine the ACE inhibitory activity and its anti-cancer properties of Caulerpa microphysa extracts. C. microphysa samples were digested with Flavourzyme, Alcalase, and pepsin...
- Synthesis and anti-tuberculosis activity of the marine natural product caulerpin and its analoguesCristina I Canché Chay
Instituto de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Circuito Exterior, Ciudad Universitaria, Delegacion Coyoacan, México D F C P 04510, Mexico
Mar Drugs 12:1757-72. 2014Caulerpin (1a), a bis-indole alkaloid from the marine algal Caulerpa sp., was synthesized in three reaction steps with an overall yield of 11%...
- Anti-infective potential of marine invertebrates and seaweeds from the Brazilian coastEverson Miguel Bianco
Laboratório de Produtos Naturais, Departamento de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, CEP 88 040 900, Florianopolis, SC, Brasil
Molecules 18:5761-78. 2013..9, 97.2, and 43.6% inhibition, respectively). Moreover, six species of seaweeds Anadyomene saldanhae, Caulerpa cupressoides, Canistrocarpus cervicornis, Dictyota sp., Ochtodes secundiramea, and Padina sp...
- Racemosins A and B, two novel bisindole alkaloids from the green alga Caulerpa racemosaDing Quan Liu
School of Pharmacy, Nanchang University, 461 Bayi Road, Nanchang 330006, PR China
Fitoterapia 91:15-20. 2013..methyl propenoate moiety, and its unusual cyclized derivative, racemosin B (2), were isolated from the green alga Caulerpa racemosa, together with the most commonly encountered pigment in the genus Caulerpa, caulerpin (3)...
- Biological activities of sulfated polysaccharides from tropical seaweedsL S Costa
UFRN, Laboratório de Biotecnologia de Polímeros Naturais Biopol, Centro de Biociencias, Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, Av Sen Salgado Filho, 3000, 59072970 Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
Biomed Pharmacother 64:21-8. 2010..In the protrombin time (PT) test, which evaluates the extrinsic coagulation pathway, only Caulerpa cupresoides showed anticoagulant activity. All species collected showed antioxidant activities...
- The contribution of benthic macrofauna to the nutrient filter in coastal lagoonsJavier Lloret
Departamento de Ecología e Hidrología, Universidad de Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Mar Pollut Bull 62:2732-40. 2011..These differences enhance nutrient removal from the water column, thus increasing the ecosystem's resistance to eutrophication...
- Screening of Dengue virus antiviral activity of marine seaweeds by an in situ enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayAndrea Cristine Koishi
Programa de Pós Graduação em Biologia Celular e Molecular, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
PLoS ONE 7:e51089. 2012..extracts (Phaeophyta: Canistrocarpus cervicornis, Padina gymnospora; Rhodophyta: Palisada perforate; Chlorophyta: Caulerpa racemosa) were chosen for further evaluation, and time of addition studies point that they might act at an early ..
- Geographic variation in feeding preference of a generalist herbivore: the importance of seaweed chemical defensesAmanda T McCarty
Department of Biology and Grice Marine Laboratory, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Oecologia 172:1071-83. 2013..five (Dictyota menstrualis, Dictyota ciliolata, Fucus distichus, Chondrus crispus and Padina gymnospora, but not Caulerpa sertularioides)...
- Molecular phylogeny and barcoding of Caulerpa (Bryopsidales) based on the tufA, rbcL, 18S rDNA and ITS rDNA genesMudassar Anisoddin Kazi
Discipline of Marine Biotechnology and Ecology, CSIR Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research AcSIR, CSIR, New Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 8:e82438. 2013The biodiversity assessment of different taxa of the genus Caulerpa is of interest from the context of morphological plasticity, invasive potential of some species and biotechnological and pharmacological applications...
- Differential growth inhibition of cancer cell lines and antioxidant activity of extracts of red, brown, and green marine algaeKavitha Murugan
Centre for Bio Separation Technology, VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 49:324-34. 2013..morphology were investigated for methanol (M), chloroform (C), ethyl acetate (E), and aqueous (A) extracts of Caulerpa peltata, Gelidiella acerosa, Padina gymnospora, and Sargassum wightii using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical-..
- Integrative species delimitation in photosynthetic sea slugs reveals twenty candidate species in three nominal taxa studied for drug discovery, plastid symbiosis or biological controlPatrick J Krug
Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Los Angeles, CA 90032 8201, USA Electronic address
Mol Phylogenet Evol 69:1101-19. 2013..in the Elysia tomentosa complex, including potential biological control agents for invasive green algae (Caulerpa spp.)...
- Acetylene sesquiterpenoid esters from the green alga Caulerpa proliferaVangelis Smyrniotopoulos
School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacognosy and Chemistry of Natural Products, University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis Zografou, 157 71 Athens, Greece
J Nat Prod 66:21-4. 2003Sixteen secondary metabolites of the green alga Caulerpa prolifera have been isolated, and their chemical structures elucidated by analysis of their spectroscopic data...
- Biological pollution in the Mediterranean Sea: invasive versus introduced macrophytesCharles François Boudouresque
CNRS Research Unit 6540 Biological Diversity and Functioning of Coastal Marine Ecosystems, Centre d Oceanologie de Marseille, France
Mar Pollut Bull 44:32-8. 2002..lallemandii, Womersleyella setacea (Rhodophyta), Sargassum muticum, Stypopodium schimperi (Fucophyceae), Caulerpa racemosa, Caulerpa taxifolia and Halophila stipulacea (Plantae)...
- Cellulose contents of some abundant Indian seaweed speciesArup K Siddhanta
Marine Biotechnology and Ecology Discipline, CSIR Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, GB Marg, Bhavnagar 364002, Gujarat, India
Nat Prod Commun 8:497-500. 2013..20.0% and 18.5%, respectively), and of beta-cellulose (approx. 3.1%) from Caulerpa imbricata...
- Extracellular synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticle using seaweeds of gulf of Mannar, IndiaSangeetha Nagarajan
Department of Marine and Coastal Studies, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 21, India
J Nanobiotechnology 11:39. 2013..Seaweeds constitute one of the commercially important marine living renewable resources. Seaweeds such as green Caulerpa peltata, red Hypnea Valencia and brown Sargassum myriocystum were used for synthesis of Zinc oxide nanoparticles.
- Evaluation of macroalgae sulfated polysaccharides on the Leishmania (L.) amazonensis promastigoteCamila Lehnhardt Pires
Vicente Unit, State University of São Paulo Júlio Mesquita Filho, UNESP, Praça Infante Dom Henrique, S N, São Vicente 11330 900, SP, Brazil
Mar Drugs 11:934-43. 2013The sulfated polysaccharides from Solieria filiformis (Sf), Botryocladia occidentalis (Bo), Caulerpa racemosa (Cr) and Gracilaria caudata (Gc) were extracted and extensively purified...
- Raman spectroscopic insights into the chemical gradients within the wound plug of the green alga Caulerpa taxifoliaIna A Weissflog
Institute of Photonic Technology Jena IPHT, Albert Einstein Strasse 9, 07745 Jena, Germany
Chembiochem 14:727-32. 2013The invasive unicellular green macroalga Caulerpa taxifolia has spread dramatically in the Mediterranean Sea over the last decades. Its success is based on rapid plug formation after wounding, to prevent the loss of cell content...
- Cytokine production induced by marine algae lectins in BALB/c mice splenocytesTiciana Monteiro Abreu
Departamento de Imunologia, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes FIOCRUZ, Av Moraes Rego s n, Cidade Universitaria, 50670 420 Recife, PE, Brazil
Protein Pept Lett 19:975-81. 2012..properties of lectins from the marine algae Solieria filiformis (SfL), Pterocladiella capillacea (PcL) and Caulerpa cupressoides (CcL)...
- Bio-screening of a few green seaweeds from India for their cytotoxic and antioxidant potentialRashmi C Vinayak
Aquaculture Laboratory, Biological Oceanography Division, National Institute of Oceanography, Panaji, Goa, India
J Sci Food Agric 91:2471-6. 2011....
- Invasive ecosystem engineer selects for different phenotypes of an associated native speciesJeffrey T Wright
National Centre for Marine Conservation and Resource Sustainability, Australian Maritime College, University of Tasmania, P O Box 986, Launceston 7250, Australia
Ecology 93:1262-8. 2012..a phenotypic selection framework to determine whether an invasive habitat-forming ecosystem engineer (the seaweed Caulerpa taxifolia) selects for different phenotypes of a common co-occurring native species (the bivalve Anadara trapezia)..
- Induction of apoptosis in MCF-7 cells by β-1,3-xylooligosaccharides prepared from Caulerpa lentilliferaReiko Maeda
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 76:1032-4. 20121,3-Xylan was prepared from the green alga, Caulerpa lentillifera, and hydrolyzed to oligosaccharides by a mild acid treatment. The average degree of polymerization was about 5...
- Physiological response and photoacclimation capacity of Caulerpa prolifera (Forsskål) J.V. Lamouroux and Cymodocea nodosa (Ucria) Ascherson meadows in the Mar Menor lagoon (SE Spain)Marta García-Sanchez
Departamento de Ecología e Hidrología, Facultad de Biologia, Campus Espinardo, Regional Campus of International Excellence Campus Mare Nostrum, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia 30100, Spain
Mar Environ Res 79:37-47. 2012The macroalga Caulerpa prolifera colonized the Mar Menor coastal lagoon after the enlargement of the main inlet in 1972, coexisting now with the previous Cymodocea nodosa meadows...
- Effectiveness of the California state ban on the sale of Caulerpa species in aquarium retail stores in southern CaliforniaStephanie Diaz
Department of Biological Science, California State University, Fullerton, CA 92834 6850, USA
Environ Manage 50:89-96. 2012The invasion of the aquarium strain of the green alga Caulerpa taxifolia and subsequent alteration of community structure in the Mediterranean Sea raised awareness of the potential for non-native seaweeds to impact coastal communities...
- Concentration of Inorganic Elements Content in Benthic Seaweeds of Fernando de Noronha Archipelago by Synchrotron Radiation Total Reflection X-Ray Fluorescence Analysis (SRTXRF)Leandro De Santis Ferreira
Departamento de Fisica e Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 14040 903 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Int J Anal Chem 2012:407274. 2012..DY, FE, K, MN, MO, NI, PB, RB, SR, TI, V, AND ZN IN ELEVEN SEAWEED SPECIES COMMONLY FOUND IN FERNANDO DE NORONHA: Caulerpa verticillata (J. Agardh) (Chlorophyta), Asparagopsis taxiformis (Delile), Dictyurus occidentalis (J...
- A meta-analysis of seaweed impacts on seagrasses: generalities and knowledge gapsMads S Thomsen
Oceans Institute and School of Plant Biology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e28595. 2012..seaweeds had comparatively small impacts, particularly given that this category included the infamous invasive Caulerpa species...
- Use of experimental design for the optimization of the production of new secondary metabolites by two Penicillium speciesEli F Pimenta
Instituto de Química de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo, CP 780, CEP 13560 970, São Carlos, SP, Brazil
J Nat Prod 73:1821-32. 2010..oxalicum and P. citrinum. Two new alkaloids, citrinalins A (5) and B (6), were isolated and identified from P. citrinum cultures optimized for production of minor metabolites...
- In vitro antiplasmodial activity of ethanolic extracts of seaweed macroalgae against Plasmodium falciparumSundaram Ravikumar
School of Marine Sciences, Department of Oceanography and coastal area studies, Alagappa University, Thondi Campus, Thondi 623 409, Ramanathapuram District, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 108:1411-6. 2011..falciparum. Among them, Caulerpa toxifolia (IC(50) 5...
- Larvicidal activity of the extract of seaweed, Caulerpa scalpelliformis, against Culex pipiensHuseyin Cetin
Biology Department, Faculty of Arts and Science, Akdeniz University, 07058 Antalya, Turkey
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 26:433-5. 2010The larvicidal efficacy of the acetone extract of the thalli of Caulerpa scalpelliformis var...
- Coastal habitat degradation and green sea turtle diets in Southeastern BrazilRobson G Santos
Departamento de Oceanografia e Ecologia, CCHN, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, 29075 910 Vitória, ES, Brazil
Mar Pollut Bull 62:1297-302. 2011..83.6%). In contrast, the macroalgae community was dominated by the green alga Caulerpa mexicana. We found a selection for red algae, seagrass and Ulva spp., and avoidance for C...
- D-xylose isomerase from a marine bacterium, Vibrio sp. strain XY-214, and D-xylulose production from β-1,3-xylanYoshiaki Umemoto
Laboratory for the Utilization of Aquatic Bioresources, Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Bioresources, Mie University, 1577 Kurimamachiya, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 14:10-20. 2012..out D-xylulose production from β-1,3-xylan, a major cell wall polysaccharide component of the killer alga Caulerpa taxifolia. The synergistic action of β-1,3-xylanase (TxyA) and β-1,3-xylosidase (XloA) from Vibrio sp...
- On site photosynthetic performance of Atlantic green algaeD P Hader
Institut fur Botanik und Pharmazeutische Biologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat, Erlangen, Germany
J Photochem Photobiol B 57:159-68. 2000..was measured on site in four common Atlantic green algae, Asparagopsis taxiforme, Valonia utricularia, Caulerpa racemosa and Codium taylori, in Gran Canaria, Canary Islands...
- Enzymatic antioxidant response of a labrid fish (Coris julis) liver to environmental caulerpenyneAntoni Sureda
Laboratori de Ciencies de l Activitat Fisica, Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Ciencies de la Salut, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Ctra Valldemossa Km 7 5 E 07122 Palma de Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 144:191-6. 2006..Caulerpenyne is the major metabolite synthesized by Caulerpa species, used as chemical defense affecting several cellular and molecular targets...
- Neurotoxic effects of caulerpenyneM Brunelli
Dipartimento di Fisiologia e Biochimica G Moruzzi, Universita di Pisa, Italy
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 24:939-54. 2000..1. In this paper the authors tested the effect of caulerpenyne (CYN), a sesquiterpene synthesized by the green alga Caulerpa taxifolia onto the central nervous system of the leech Hirudo medicinalis...
- Caulerpenyne from Caulerpa taxifolia has an antiproliferative activity on tumor cell line SK-N-SH and modifies the microtubule networkP Barbier
UMR CNRS 6032, Protéines et Cancer, Faculté de Pharmacie de Marseille, France
Life Sci 70:415-29. 2001Caulerpenyne, the major secondary metabolite synthesized by the green marine alga Caulerpa taxifolia, is cytotoxic against several cell lines...
- Evaluation of the petrifilm aerobic count plate for enumeration of aerobic marine bacteria from seawater and Caulerpa lentilliferaJun Kudaka
Okinawa Prefectural Institute Health and Environment, 2085 Ozato, Nanjo shi Okinawa 901 1202, Japan
J Food Prot 73:1529-32. 2010..utilizing the Petrifilm ACP for enumeration of aerobic marine bacteria from seawater and an edible seaweed, Caulerpa lentillifera...
- Effect of seaweed extracts on the growth and biochemical constituents of Vigna sinensisS Sivasankari
Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Bioresour Technol 97:1745-51. 2006The effect of seaweed liquid fertilizers (SLF) of Sargassum wightii and Caulerpa chemnitzia on growth and biochemical constituents of Vigna sinensis was studied...
- Removal of methylene blue by invasive marine seaweed: Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindraceaSevilay Cengiz
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry Division, Tinaztepe Campus, Izmir, Turkey
Bioresour Technol 99:2357-63. 2008b>Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea is one of the well-known invasive species in the Mediterranean Sea. In the present study, dried biomass of C. racemosa var. cylindracea was shown to have adsorption capacity for methylene blue...
- First assessment of the Caulerpa racemosa (Caulerpales, Chlorophyta) invasion along the French Mediterranean coastSandrine Ruitton
UMR 6540 CNRS, Centre d Oceanologie de Marseille, Campus de Luminy, Case 901, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Mar Pollut Bull 50:1061-8. 2005The introduced green alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea has been rapidly spreading in the Mediterranean Sea since 1990. It was first observed in France in 1997 (Marseilles)...
- Reduction of herbivory through wound-activated protein cross-linking by the invasive macroalga Caulerpa taxifoliaJerrit Weissflog
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, Institute of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Chembiochem 9:29-32. 2008
- Changes in benthic fish assemblages as a consequence of coastal works in a coastal lagoon: The Mar Menor (Spain, Western Mediterranean)A Pérez-Ruzafa
Departamento de Ecología e Hidrología, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Mar Pollut Bull 53:107-20. 2006..bottoms and Gobius niger, Syngnathus abaster, Hippocampus ramulosus and Symphodus cinereus on Cymodocea nodosa-Caulerpa prolifera mixed beds...
- Chemical defenses: from compounds to communitiesValerie J Paul
Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce, 701 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, Florida 34949, USA
Biol Bull 213:226-51. 2007..Our examples include harmful algal blooms; the invasion of the Mediterranean by Caulerpa taxifolia; overgrowth of coral reefs by chemically rich macroalgae and cyanobacteria; and invertebrate chemical ..
- Reciprocal effects of caulerpenyne and intense herbivorism on the antioxidant response of Bittium reticulatum and Caulerpa taxifoliaAntoni Sureda
Laboratori de Ciencies de l Activitat Fisica, Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Ciencies de la Salut, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Ctra Valldemossa km 7 5, E 07122 Palma de Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 72:795-801. 2009We studied the antioxidant enzyme response of the gastropoda Bittium reticulatum feeding the toxic alga Caulerpa taxifolia, and also the effects of intense herbivorism on caulerpenyne production and on the antioxidant response of C...
- [Investigation and culture of microbial contaminants of Caulerpa lentillifera (Sea Grape)]Jun Kudaka
Department of Biological Sciences, Okinawa Prefectural Institute of Health and Environment, Okinawa, Japan
Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi 49:11-5. 2008b>Caulerpa lentillifera is a kind of edible seaweed, known as 'sea grape' or 'green caviar'. It is used in fresh salads...
- Macroalgal-associated dinoflagellates belonging to the genus Symbiodinium in Caribbean reefsIsabel Porto
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas Facultad de Ciencias, Laboratorio de Biología Molecular Marina, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogota, Distrito Capital, Colombia
PLoS ONE 3:e2160. 2008..Lobophora variegata, Amphiroa spp., Caulerpa spp. and Dictyota spp. Viable Symbiodinium spp. cells were isolated and cultured from macroalgal beds and S...
- Kinetic and equilibrium studies on biosorption of basic blue dye by green macro algae Caulerpa scalpelliformisRathinam Aravindhan
Chemical Laboratory, Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai, India
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 42:621-31. 2007Dynamic batch experiments were carried out for the biosorption of basic blue dye on to the green macro algae Caulerpa scalpelliformis...
- [Structure of reef fish communities in Catalinas Islands and Ocotal beach, North Pacific of Costa Rica]Mario Espinoza
Escuela de Biologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Pedro M O, San Jose 2060, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 53:523-36. 2005..The presence of the fleshy algae Caulerpa sertularioides in Ocotal, and the corals Tubastrea coccinea and Pocillopora spp...
- Prevention of aflatoxin B1-initiated hepatotoxicity in rat by marine algae extractsMosaad A Abdel-Wahhab
Food Toxicology and Contaminants Department, National Research Center, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
J Appl Toxicol 26:229-38. 2006Chemoprevention by extracts of Laurencia obtusa (E1) and Caulerpa prolifera (E2) collected from the Egyptian coast of the Red Sea against aflatoxin B(1) (AFB(1))-initiated hepatotoxicity in female Sprague-Dawley rats has been studied...
- Structure of beta-1,3-xylooligosaccharides generated from Caulerpa racemosa var. laete-virens beta-1,3-xylan by the action of beta-1,3-xylanaseMasashi Kiyohara
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581
J Biochem 140:369-73. 2006..report here the structural analysis of oligosaccharides generated from beta-1,3-xylan of a siphonous green alga, Caulerpa racemosa var. laete-virens, by the action of beta-1,3-xylanase...
- Effects of climate, invasive species and anthropogenic impacts on the growth of the seagrass Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile in Liguria (NW Mediterranean Sea)Andrea Peirano
ENEA, Marine Environment Research Centre, Santa Teresa, C P 224, I 19100 La Spezia, Italy
Mar Pollut Bull 50:817-22. 2005..was examined in the light of climate fluctuations and local stresses, colonisation by alien, invasive alga Caulerpa taxifolia, and effects of the oil spill from the tanker "Haven", and other anthropogenic impacts...
- Removal of basic yellow dye from aqueous solution by sorption on green alga Caulerpa scalpelliformisRathinam Aravindhan
Chemical Laboratory, Central Leather Research Institute, Adyar, Chennai 600020, India
J Hazard Mater 142:68-76. 2007Dynamic batch experiments were carried out for the biosorption of basic yellow dye on to the green macroalgae Caulerpa scalpelliformis...
- Alpha-amylase inhibitors from Brazilian seaweeds and their hypoglycemic potentialValeria L Teixeira
Departamento de Biologia Marinha, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Federal Fluminense, PO Box 100 644, Niteroi, RJ, 24001 970, Brazil
Fitoterapia 78:35-6. 2007..On the contrary, acetone crude extract of both Spatoglossum schroederi and Caulerpa racemosa inhibited the enzyme activity, with an ED(50) of 0.58 and 0.09 mg/ml.
- Urban seagrass: status of Posidonia oceanica facing the Genoa city waterfront (Italy) and implications for managementMonica Montefalcone
DIPTERIS, Department for the Study of the Territory and of its Resources, University of Genoa, Corso Europa 26, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mar Pollut Bull 54:206-13. 2007..factors in the re-colonisation of regressed meadows by the seagrass Cymodocea nodosa and/or the invasive alga Caulerpa racemosa...
- Potential cytotoxic activity of some Brazilian seaweeds on human melanoma cellsFabíola Dutra Rocha
Programa de Pós graduação de Produtos Naturais, Nucleo de Pesquisas de Produtos Naturais, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21941 590, Brazil
Phytother Res 21:170-5. 2007..The crude acetone extract of Caulerpa racemosa showed some cytotoxicity, but caulerpin isolated from this extract did not show any such activity...
- [Spatial and biogeographic characterization of macroalgal assemblages from Bahía del Rincón, Baja California Sur, Mexico]R Riosmena-Rodriguez
Programa de Botánica Marina, Departamento de Biologia Marina, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Sur Apdo Postal 19 B, La Paz B C S 23080 México
Rev Biol Trop 53:97-109. 2005..Sites differ in recruitment and this affects the abundance of other species (such as coraline and Caulerpa species)...
- Solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy studies of xylans in the cell wall of Palmaria palmata (L. Kuntze, Rhodophyta)Marc Lahaye
INRA Unité de Recherches sur les Polysaccharides, leurs Organisations et Interactions, BP 71627, F 44316 Nantes, France
Carbohydr Res 338:1559-69. 2003..Such modifications were present in the spectrum of hydrated (1-->3)-linked xylan from the green seaweed Caulerpa taxifolia and absent in that of (1-->4)-linked xylan from P. palmata...
- Trace metals accumulation patterns in a mangrove lagoon ecosystem, Mazatlan Harbor, southeast Gulf of CaliforniaM E Jara-Marini
Programa de Posgrado en Ciencias del Mar y Limnologia, Unidad Academica Mazatlan, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 43:995-1005. 2008..sediments, the mussel Mytella strigata, the mangrove oyster Crassostrea corteziensis, and the green macroalgae Caulerpa sertularioides from four locations in Mazatlan Harbor on the southeast coast of the Gulf of California, were ..