Summary: The sequence of carbohydrates within POLYSACCHARIDES; GLYCOPROTEINS; and GLYCOLIPIDS.
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- The impact of glycosylation on the biological function and structure of human immunoglobulinsJames N Arnold
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Immunol 25:21-50. 2007..The models were constructed by combining glycan sequencing data with oligosaccharide linkage and dynamics information from the Glycobiology Institute experimental database and protein structural data from "The Protein Data Bank."..
- Proposal for a standard system for drawing structural diagrams of N- and O-linked carbohydrates and related compoundsDavid J Harvey
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, UK
Proteomics 9:3796-801. 2009..Constituent monosaccharides are depicted by shapes modified to show OAc, deoxy, etc. Linkage is indicated by the bond angle and anomericity by solid (beta) or dashed (alpha) lines...
- Analysis of immunoglobulin glycosylation by LC-ESI-MS of glycopeptides and oligosaccharidesJohannes Stadlmann
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences BOKU, Vienna, Austria
Proteomics 8:2858-71. 2008..Regarding fast and yet detailed structural assignment, LC-MS on graphitic carbon supersedes all other current methods...
- GlycoWorkbench: a tool for the computer-assisted annotation of mass spectra of glycansAlessio Ceroni
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Imperial College London, London SW72AZ, UK
J Proteome Res 7:1650-9. 2008..The aim of GlycoWorkbench is to offer complete support for the routine interpretation of MS data. The software is available for download from: http://www.eurocarbdb.org/applications/ms-tools...
- Novel glycan biomarkers for the detection of lung cancerJames N Arnold
Department of Biochemistry, Oxford Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, England
J Proteome Res 10:1755-64. 2011..The combination of all glyco-biomarkers had the highest sensitivity and specificity. This study identifies candidates for further study as potential biomarkers for the disease...
- Roles of N-linked glycans in the endoplasmic reticulumAri Helenius
Institute of Biochemistry1 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich 8093, Switzerland
Annu Rev Biochem 73:1019-49. 2004..Each residue in the core oligosaccharide and each step in the modification program have significance for the fate of newly synthesized glycoproteins...
- Altered glycosylation pattern allows the distinction between prostate-specific antigen (PSA) from normal and tumor originsRosa Peracaula
Unitat de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Departament de Biologia, Universitat de Girona, Campus de Montilivi s n 17071, Girona, Spain
Glycobiology 13:457-70. 2003..These carbohydrate differences allow a distinction to be made between PSA from normal and tumor origins and suggest a valuable biochemical tool for diagnosis and follow-up purposes...
- Carbohydrate mediated bacterial adhesionRoland J Pieters
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Adv Exp Med Biol 715:227-40. 2011..Novel methods to do this are being developed. These include the use of microarrays and glyconanoparticles. New developments in these areas are discussed...
- Requirement of borate cross-linking of cell wall rhamnogalacturonan II for Arabidopsis growthM A O'Neill
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, 220 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602 4712, USA
Science 294:846-9. 2001..Exogenous aqueous borate rescues the defect. The reduced cross-linking of RG-II in dwarf mur1 plants indicates that plant growth depends on wall pectic polysaccharide organization...
- Diagnostic ions for the rapid analysis by nano-electrospray ionization quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry of O-glycans from human mucinsCatherine Robbe
Unité Mixte de Recherche CNRS USTL 8576, Glycobiologie Structurale et Fonctionnelle, IFR 118, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq cedex, France
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18:412-20. 2004....
- Pullulan degrading enzymes of bacterial originMonika Domań-Pytka
Department Food Technology, Agricultural University, Lublin, Poland
Crit Rev Microbiol 30:107-21. 2004....
- Defining putative glycan cancer biomarkers by MSYehia Mechref
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409 1061, USA
Bioanalysis 4:2457-69. 2012..This review discusses the different glycomic and glycoproteomic methods employed for defining glycans as cancer biomarkers of different organs, including breast, colon, esophagus, liver, lung, ovarian, pancreas and prostate...
- Moss and liverwort xyloglucans contain galacturonic acid and are structurally distinct from the xyloglucans synthesized by hornworts and vascular plantsMaria J Peña
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Glycobiology 18:891-904. 2008..Our results increase our understanding of the evolution, diversity, and function of structural motifs in land-plant xyloglucans and provide support to the proposal that hornworts are sisters to the vascular plants...
- Isomeric analysis of oligomannosidic N-glycans and their dolichol-linked precursorsMartin Pabst
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
Glycobiology 22:389-99. 2012..A tightly woven net of evidence supports these assignments. Noteworthy, this isomer assignment happens in the course of a comprehensive analysis of all types of a sample's N-glycans...
- The N-glycome of human plasmaKatherine A Stumpo
The Glycomics Center, Division of Molecular, Cellular, and Biomedical Sciences, University of New Hampshire, 35 Colovos Road, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
J Proteome Res 9:4823-30. 2010..The simplicity of this nonchromatographic, direct infusion and gas-phase structural characterization compares most favorably with the latest reports using alternative instrumentation and adjunct techniques...
- Strict specificity for high-mannose type N-glycans and primary structure of a red alga Eucheuma serra lectinKanji Hori
Graduate School of Biosphere Science, Hiroshima University, Kagamiyama 1 4 4, Higashi Hiroshima 739 8528, Japan
Glycobiology 17:479-91. 2007..The number of repeats coincided with the number of carbohydrate-binding sites in the monomeric molecule. Surprisingly, the marine algal lectin was homologous to hemagglutinin from the soil bacterium Myxococcus xanthus...
- Semi-rigid solution structures of heparin by constrained X-ray scattering modelling: new insight into heparin-protein complexesSanaullah Khan
Department of Structural and Molecular Biology, Division of Biosciences, Darwin Building, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Mol Biol 395:504-21. 2010..We conclude that heparin in solution has a semi-rigid and extended conformation that is preformed for its optimal binding to protein targets without major conformational changes...
- Structural characterization of N-linked oligosaccharides on monoclonal antibody cetuximab by the combination of orthogonal matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization hybrid quadrupole-quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry and sequential enzyJun Qian
Department of Bioanalytical Science, ImClone Systems Incorporated, Branchburg, NJ 08876, USA
Anal Biochem 364:8-18. 2007..This study represents a unique approach in that MS/MS data were used to identify and confirm the oligosaccharide structures of a protein...
- l-Galactose replaces l-fucose in the pectic polysaccharide rhamnogalacturonan II synthesized by the l-fucose-deficient mur1 Arabidopsis mutantBradley L Reuhs
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Georgia, 315 Riverbend Road, GA 30602 4712, Athens, USA
Planta 219:147-57. 2004..The results of this study provide additional information on the structure of RG-II and the role of this pectic polysaccharide in the plant cell wall...
- Structural studies of the main exopolysaccharide produced by the deep-sea bacterium Alteromonas infernusOlivier Roger
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie des Molécules Marines, IFREMER, Département Valorisation des Produits, BP 21105, F 44311 Nantes, France
Carbohydr Res 339:2371-80. 2004..The repeating units of this polysaccharide is a nonasaccharide with the following structure: [carbohydrate: see text]...
- Chemoenzymatic synthesis and Fcγ receptor binding of homogeneous glycoforms of antibody Fc domain. Presence of a bisecting sugar moiety enhances the affinity of Fc to FcγIIIa receptorGuozhang Zou
Institute of Human Virology and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:18975-91. 2011..The synthetic homogeneous Fc glycoforms thus provide a useful tool for elucidating how a fine Fc N-glycan structure precisely affects the function of the Fc domain...
- pdb-care (PDB carbohydrate residue check): a program to support annotation of complex carbohydrate structures in PDB filesThomas Lütteke
German Cancer Research Center, Central Spectroscopic Department, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 5:69. 2004..Unfortunately, no software is currently available which aligns the 3D information with the reported assignments. It is the aim of this work to fill this gap...
- Comparison of methods for profiling O-glycosylation: Human Proteome Organisation Human Disease Glycomics/Proteome Initiative multi-institutional study of IgA1Yoshinao Wada
Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Izumi, Osaka, Japan
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:719-27. 2010..In addition, mass spectrometric methodologies to analyze O-glycopeptides were also successful...
- Neoglycolipid technology: deciphering information content of glycomeWengang Chai
MRC Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College London, Northwick Park Hospital Campus, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
Methods Enzymol 362:160-95. 2003
- Carbohydrate Structure Suite (CSS): analysis of carbohydrate 3D structures derived from the PDBThomas Lütteke
Central Spectroscopic Department, German Cancer Research Centre, INF 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 33:D242-6. 2005..Furthermore, tools to crosslink the PDB and carbohydrate databases and to check the integrity of carbohydrate 3D structures are included. The service is available at (www.dkfz.de/spec/css/)...
- Role of sialic acid-containing molecules in paramyxovirus entry into the host cell: a minireviewEnrique Villar
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Edificio Departamental, Universidad de Salamanca, Plaza Doctores de la Reina s n, Lab 108, Salamanca 37007, Spain
Glycoconj J 23:5-17. 2006..In spite of all these data, the exact nature of paramyxovirus receptors, apart from their sialylated nature, and the mechanism(s) of viral attachment to the cell surface are poorly understood...
- Regulated glycosylation patterns of IgG during alloimmune responses against human platelet antigensManfred Wuhrer
Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands m wuhrer
J Proteome Res 8:450-6. 2009..Moreover, experiments in animal models as well as in vitro immunological tests will be needed to unravel the mechanisms regulating IgG Fc glycosylation...
- Glycome-DB.org: a portal for querying across the digital world of carbohydrate sequencesRené Ranzinger
German Cancer Research Center, Molecular Structure Analysis W160, Molecular Modeling Group, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Glycobiology 19:1563-7. 2009Despite ongoing harmonization efforts, the major carbohydrate sequence databases following the first initiative in this field, CarbBank, are still isolated islands, with mechanisms for automatic structure exchange and comparison largely ..
- Deep-sea hydrothermal vents: a new source of innovative bacterial exopolysaccharides of biotechnological interest?J Guezennec
IFREMER, Centre de Brest, Dept DRV VP BMM, BP 70, Plouzane 29280, France
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 29:204-8. 2002....
- Dissecting glycoprotein quality control in the secretory pathwayC M Cabral
Dept of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 26:619-24. 2001..That the mechanisms by which glycoprotein substrates are recruited for degradation diverge at the level of signal recognition reflects a previously unappreciated component of cellular differentiation in higher eukaryotes...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of Bifidobacterium bifidum 1,2-alpha-L-fucosidase (AfcA), a novel inverting glycosidase (glycoside hydrolase family 95)Takane Katayama
Division of Integrated Life Science, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Bacteriol 186:4885-93. 2004..Thus, it was revealed that the AfcA protein constitutes a novel inverting GH family (GH family 95)...
- Glycan microarray analysis of the hemagglutinins from modern and pandemic influenza viruses reveals different receptor specificitiesJames Stevens
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Mol Biol 355:1143-55. 2006..The glycan array thus provides highly detailed profiles of influenza receptor specificity that can be used to map the evolution of new human pathogenic strains, such as the H5N1 avian influenza...
- Structure of an alpha-2,6-sialylated lipooligosaccharide from Neisseria meningitidis immunotype L1W W Wakarchuk
Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
Eur J Biochem 254:626-33. 1998..These data are the first report of a alpha-2,6-linked sialic acid in a bacterial LOS or lipopolysaccharide, and also the first report of a sialylated Pk epitope...
- Endo-xyloglucan transferase, a novel class of glycosyltransferase that catalyzes transfer of a segment of xyloglucan molecule to another xyloglucan moleculeK Nishitani
Department of Biology, College of Liberal Arts, Kagoshima University, Japan
J Biol Chem 267:21058-64. 1992....
- Identification and characterization of binding properties of Helicobacter pylori by glycoconjugate arraysAnke Walz
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Dental School, University of Regensburg, D 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Glycobiology 15:700-8. 2005..The results demonstrate that the bacterial overlay method on glycoconjugate arrays is a useful tool for exploration and the characterization of unknown adhesin specificities of H. pylori and other bacteria...
- Structure of the O-polysaccharide of Aeromonas hydrophila O:34; a case of random O-acetylation of 6-deoxy-L-taloseYuriy A Knirel
N D Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninsky Prospekt 47, Moscow 119991, Russia
Carbohydr Res 337:1381-6. 2002....
- MALDI-TOF-MS analysis of sialylated glycans and glycopeptides using 4-chloro-α-cyanocinnamic acid matrixMaurice H J Selman
Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry Unit, Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Proteomics 12:1337-48. 2012..In conclusion, we clearly demonstrate the high potential of this rationally designed matrix for glycomics and glycoproteomics...
- High-throughput work flow for IgG Fc-glycosylation analysis of biotechnological samplesDietmar Reusch
Pharma Biotech Development Penzberg, Roche Diagnostics GmbH, 82377 Penzberg, Germany
Anal Biochem 432:82-9. 2013..We compared the developed method to other glycoanalytical methods and successfully applied it to analyze the fermentation time course of two different clones of the same therapeutic antibody...
- Purification of a peptidoglycan recognition protein from hemolymph of the silkworm, Bombyx moriH Yoshida
Institute of Low Temperature Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Biol Chem 271:13854-60. 1996..The purified PGRP bound to peptidoglycan did not hydrolyze significantly any of the 26 commercially available peptidyl-7-amino-4-methylcoumarins, substrates for various proteases...
- OCH1 encodes a novel membrane bound mannosyltransferase: outer chain elongation of asparagine-linked oligosaccharidesK Nakayama
National Chemical Laboratory for Industry, Ibaraki, Japan
EMBO J 11:2511-9. 1992..Finally, the OCH1 gene was found to encode a novel mannosyltransferase which specifically transfers [14C]mannose to the unique acceptor, the core-like oligosaccharide of cell wall mannan accumulated in the och1 disruptant...
- Helicobacter pylori SabA adhesin in persistent infection and chronic inflammationJafar Mahdavi
Department of Odontology Oral Microbiology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Science 297:573-8. 2002..The ability of many H. pylori strains to adhere to sialylated glycoconjugates expressed during chronic inflammation might thus contribute to virulence and the extraordinary chronicity of H. pylori infection...
- A second outer-core region in Klebsiella pneumoniae lipopolysaccharideMiguel Regue
Departamento de Microbiología i Parasitología Sanitarias, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
J Bacteriol 187:4198-206. 2005..The replacement of Klebsiella core type 1 in a highly type 2 virulent strain (52145) induces lower virulence than core type 2 in a murine infection model...
- IgE-reactive carbohydrate epitopes--classification, cross-reactivity, and clinical impactH Malandain
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Centre Hospitalier Chubert, 56017 Vannes, France
Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 37:122-8. 2005..IgE-reactivity of the patient's serum can also be tested towards a glycoprotein model such as bromelain...
- A mutual regulation between cell-cell adhesion and N-glycosylation: implication of the bisecting GlcNAc for biological functionsJianguo Gu
Division of Regulatory Glycobiology, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Sendai Miyagi 981 8558, Japan
J Proteome Res 8:431-5. 2009..Here, we focus mainly on a mutual regulation between E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion and N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase III (GnT-III) expression, and discuss its implications for biological functions...
- Differential expression of LacdiNAc, fucosylated LacdiNAc, and Lewis x glycan antigens in intramolluscan stages of Schistosoma mansoniA Kwame Nyame
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Oklahoma Center for Medical Glycobiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
J Parasitol 88:890-7. 2002..mansoni, these results show that LDN and LDNF glycans are conserved during schistosome development. The study further extends the evidence that Le(x) is a developmentally regulated antigen in schistosomes...
- Characterization of functional oligosaccharide mimics of the Shigella flexneri serotype 2a O-antigen: implications for the development of a chemically defined glycoconjugate vaccineArmelle Phalipon
Unite de Pathogenie Microbienne Moleculaire, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 389
J Immunol 176:1686-94. 2006..A pentadecasaccharide representing three biological repeating units was identified as a potential candidate for further development of a chemically defined glycoconjugate vaccine against S. flexneri 2a infection...
- Structural characterization of Campylobacter jejuni lipooligosaccharide outer cores associated with Guillain-Barre and Miller Fisher syndromesPeggy C R Godschalk
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus MC, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 75:1245-54. 2007..jejuni-related GBS. However, our findings suggest that in some cases, other mechanisms may play a role. Further examination of the disease etiology in these patients is mandatory...
- A novel mechanism for LSECtin binding to Ebola virus surface glycoprotein through truncated glycansAlex S Powlesland
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:593-602. 2008..Thus, multiple receptors interact with surface glycoproteins of enveloped viruses that bear different types of relatively poorly processed glycans...
- The ionic interaction of Klebsiella pneumoniae K2 capsule and core lipopolysaccharideSandra Fresno
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08071 Barcelona, Spain
Microbiology 152:1807-18. 2006..From these results, it is concluded that the K2 capsular polysaccharide is associated by an ionic interaction to the LPS through the negative charge provided by the carboxyl groups of the GalA residues...
- A UDP-HexNAc:polyprenol-P GalNAc-1-P transferase (WecP) representing a new subgroup of the enzyme familySusana Merino
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08071 Barcelona, Spain
J Bacteriol 193:1943-52. 2011..The molecular topology of WecP is more similar to that of WbaP (UDP-Gal polyprenol-P transferase) than to that of WecA (UDP-GlcNAc polyprenol-P transferase). WecP is the first UDP-HexNAc:polyprenol-P GalNAc-1-P transferase described...
- Glycans as cancer biomarkersBarbara Adamczyk
Dublin Oxford Glycobiology Laboratory, NIBRT The National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training, Fosters Avenue, Mount Merrion, Blackrock, Co Dublin, Ireland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1820:1347-53. 2012..Non-invasive biomarkers, such as those from serum, are ideal for disease prognosis, staging and monitoring. In the past decade, our understanding of the importance of glycosylation changes with disease has evolved...
- N-linked glycan structures and their expressions change in the blood sera of ovarian cancer patientsWilliam R Alley
Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, United States
J Proteome Res 11:2282-300. 2012..In some cases, the pre-treatment samples could be distinguished from the post-experimental treatment samples, as many of those patients showed a further progression of the disease...
- Mode of action of beta-glucuronidase from Aspergillus niger on the sugar chains of arabinogalactan-proteinMd Ashraful Haque
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Science, Saitama University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:2170-7. 2005..These results indicate that beta-glucuronidase acts upon 4-Me-beta-GlcA residues in long (1-->6)-linked beta-galactosyl side chains of the AGP, whereas short acidic side chains survive the attack of the enzyme...
- Significant differences in the cell-wall mannans from three Candida glabrata strains correlate with antifungal drug sensitivityShizuka Takahashi
Department of Infection and Host Defense, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
FEBS J 279:1844-56. 2012..Interestingly, the NBRC 103857 strain, which involved a large amount of the β-1,2-linked mannose residues, exhibited significant sensitivity to these antifungal drugs...
- 2003 Claude S. Hudson Award address in carbohydrate chemistry. Heparin: structure and activityRobert J Linhardt
Department of Chemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Med Chem 46:2551-64. 2003
- Xyloglucans of monocotyledons have diverse structuresYves S Y Hsieh
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Mol Plant 2:943-65. 2009..In the Poales, the Poaceae had xyloglucans with a XXGn core motif and no fucosylated units. In the other Poales families, some had both XXXG and XXGn core motifs, others had only XXXG; XXFG units were present, but XLFG units were not...
- Structural characterisation of neutrophil glycans by ultra sensitive mass spectrometric glycomics methodologyPonnusamy Babu
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Glycoconj J 26:975-86. 2009..The data produced demonstrates that the cells display a diverse range of sialylated and fucosylated complex glycans, with a high level of similarity between the two preparations...
- GlycomeDB - integration of open-access carbohydrate structure databasesRené Ranzinger
German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Core Facility Molecular Structural Analysis, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 9:384. 2008..For each database, different encoding schemes for residues and sequence topology were designed. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to obtain an overview of all deposited structures or to compare the contents of the various databases...
- Structural studies on the R-type lipopolysaccharide of Aeromonas hydrophilaYuriy A Knirel
N D Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow 119991, Russia
Carbohydr Res 339:787-93. 2004..Lipid A of the lipopolysaccharide has a 1,4(')-bisphosphorylated beta-D-GlcN-(1-->6)-alpha-D-GlcN disaccharide backbone with both phosphate groups substituted with 4-amino-4-deoxyarabinose residues...
- Contrasting glycosylation profiles between Fab and Fc of a human IgG protein studied by electrospray ionization mass spectrometryYusuke Mimura
Division of Immunity and Infection, Medical School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
J Immunol Methods 326:116-26. 2007..Thus, combination of the two endoglycosidases can provide a simple means of glycan analysis of both Fab and Fc by ESI-MS, which may contribute to the development of therapeutic IgG with customized glycan profiles...
- The high degree of internal flexibility observed for an oligomannose oligosaccharide does not alter the overall topology of the moleculeR J Woods
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, Department of Biochemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
Eur J Biochem 258:372-86. 1998..The control exerted by the solvent over both the flexibility and overall topology of an oligosaccharide has important implications for recognition processes and for the conformational properties of glycans attached to glycoproteins...
- Chemical structure of the cell-wall mannan of Candida albicans serotype A and its difference in yeast and hyphal formsNobuyuki Shibata
Department of Infection and Host Defense, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8558, Japan
Biochem J 404:365-72. 2007..These results suggest that the Candida mannan in candidiasis patients contains beta-1,2-linked mannose residues and that they behave as a target of the immune system...
- Cloning and analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae MNN9 and MNN1 genes required for complex glycosylation of secreted proteinsC L Yip
ZymoGenetics, Inc, Seattle, WA 98105
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:2723-7. 1994....
- Existence of novel beta-1,2 linkage-containing side chain in the mannan of Candida lusitaniae, antigenically related to Candida albicans serotype ANobuyuki Shibata
Second Department of Hygienic Chemistry, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Eur J Biochem 270:2565-75. 2003..An enzyme-linked immunosorbent inhibition assay using oligosaccharides indicated that LM5 behaves as factor 6, which is the serotype A-specific epitope of C. albicans. Unexpectedly, however, LM6 did not act as factor 6...
- Negative-ion electrospray mass spectrometry of neutral underivatized oligosaccharidesW Chai
MRC Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College School of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Anal Chem 73:651-7. 2001..The distinctive D- and A-cleavages are important for differentiation of oligosaccharide type 1 and type 2 chains and to define the blood group H, Le(a), Le(x), Le(b), and Le(y) determinants carried by their fucosylated analogues...
- A glycomics platform for the analysis of permethylated oligosaccharide alditolsCatherine E Costello
Mass Spectrometry Resource, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 18:1799-812. 2007..The glycomics platform presented here fulfills these criteria and should lead to more facile glycomics analyses...
- Structural characteristics of the N-glycans of two isoforms of prostate-specific antigens purified from human seminal fluidT Okada
Department of Glycobiology, Tokyo Metropolitain Institute of Gerontology, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1525:149-60. 2001..However, the ratios of each N-glycan were different. These results indicate that PSA-A and PSA-B differ not only in their sialic acid contents, but also in their outer chain features...
- Conformational studies of oligosaccharides and glycopeptides: complementarity of NMR, X-ray crystallography, and molecular modellingMark R Wormald
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, United Kingdom
Chem Rev 102:371-86. 2002
- Glycosylation of serum ribonuclease 1 indicates a major endothelial origin and reveals an increase in core fucosylation in pancreatic cancerSílvia Barrabés
Unitat de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Departament de Biologia, Universitat de Girona, Campus de Montilivi, Girona 17071, Spain
Glycobiology 17:388-400. 2007..RNase 1 from EA.hy926 was then purified and presented a glycosylation profile very similar to that from serum RNase 1, suggesting that endothelial cells are the main source of this enzyme...
- Ktr1p is an alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Comparison of the enzymic properties of soluble recombinant Ktr1p and Kre2p/Mnt1p produced in Pichia pastorisP A Romero
McGill Cancer Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochem J 321:289-95. 1997..These results indicate that Kre2p/ Mnt1p and Ktr1p are capable of participating in both N-glycan and O-glycan biosynthesis...
- Expression of the developmental I antigen by a cloned human cDNA encoding a member of a beta-1,6-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase gene familyM F Bierhuizen
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, Cancer Research Center, California 92037
Genes Dev 7:468-78. 1993..These results indicate that the I-branching enzyme represents a member of a beta-1,6-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase gene family of which expression is controlled by developmental programs...
- Molecular analysis of three Aeromonas hydrophila AH-3 (serotype O34) lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis gene clustersNatalia Jimenez
Departamento Microbiologia, Facultad Biologia, Universidad Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08071 Barcelona, Spain
J Bacteriol 190:3176-84. 2008..Having the functions of all genes involved with the LPS core biosynthesis and most corresponding single-gene mutants now allows experimental work on the role of the LPS core in the virulence of A. hydrophila...
- Expression cloning of a human alpha1, 4-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase that forms GlcNAcalpha1-->4Galbeta-->R, a glycan specifically expressed in the gastric gland mucous cell-type mucinJ Nakayama
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:8991-6. 1999..These results indicate that the alpha4GnT is a glycosyltransferase that forms alpha1,4-linked GlcNAc residues, preferentially in O-glycans...
- Characterization of glycosphingolipids from Schistosoma mansoni eggs carrying Fuc(alpha1-3)GalNAc-, GalNAc(beta1-4)[Fuc(alpha1-3)]GlcNAc- and Gal(beta1-4)[Fuc(alpha1-3)]GlcNAc- (Lewis X) terminal structuresManfred Wuhrer
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Giessen, Germany
Eur J Biochem 269:481-93. 2002....
- Protection of mice against Salmonella typhimurium with an O-specific polysaccharide-protein conjugate vaccineD C Watson
Laboratory of Developmental and Molecular Immunity, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Infect Immun 60:4679-86. 1992..These results indicate that an O-SP-TT conjugate, when given by a route and formulation acceptable for human use, protects mice against challenge with S. typhimurium...
- Lipid A modification systems in gram-negative bacteriaChristian R H Raetz
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 76:295-329. 2007..Although not required for growth, the modification enzymes modulate virulence of some gram-negative pathogens. Heterologous expression of lipid A modification enzymes may enable the development of new vaccines...
- Structural analysis of a novel triphosphonoglycosphingolipid from the egg of the sea hare, Aplysia kurodaiS Yamada
Department of Neurochemistry, Niigata University
J Biochem 117:794-9. 1995..By comparing 1H-NMR spectra of native and HF-treated glycolipids, steric interactions of two residues of 2-AEP with ring protons of the glucose and the internal galactose were indicated...
- Purification and characterisation of a galactoglucomannan from kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa)R Schroder
HortResearch, Mount Albert Research Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
Carbohydr Res 331:291-306. 2001....
- Determination of the primary structures of heparin- and heparan sulfate-derived oligosaccharides using band-selective homonuclear-decoupled two-dimensional 1H NMR experimentsW L Chuang
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
Anal Chem 73:2310-6. 2001....
- A complex plant cell wall polysaccharide: rhamnogalacturonan II. A structure in quest of a functionS Perez
Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolecules Vegetales, CNRS, University Joseph Fourier, BP 53X, 38041 Grenoble Cedex, France
Biochimie 85:109-21. 2003..Some attempts of deciphering of the structural role that RG-II may play in the cell wall of growing plants are presented...
- Analysis of Asn-linked glycans from vegetable foodstuffs: widespread occurrence of Lewis a, core alpha1,3-linked fucose and xylose substitutionsI B Wilson
, Muthgasse 18, A-1190 Wien, Austria
Glycobiology 11:261-74. 2001....
- N-glycan structures from the major glycoproteins of pigeon egg white: predominance of terminal Galalpha(1)GalN Takahashi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, Nagoya, 467-8603, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:23230-9. 2001..In contrast to the chicken egg white counterparts, which contain mostly high mannose and hybrid types, all N-glycan structures in the major pigeon egg white glycoproteins are complex type...
- CD15 expression in mature granulocytes is determined by alpha 1,3-fucosyltransferase IX, but in promyelocytes and monocytes by alpha 1,3-fucosyltransferase IVF Nakayama
Division of Cell Biology, Institute of Life Science, Soka University, Tokyo 192 8577, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:16100-6. 2001..Measurement of CD15 synthesizing activity in cell homogenates of each cell population using the polylactosamine acceptor further supported these conclusions...
- GlycoSuiteDB: a new curated relational database of glycoprotein glycan structures and their biological sourcesC A Cooper
Proteome Systems Ltd, 1 35 41 Waterloo Road, North Ryde, Sydney, NSW 2113, Australia
Nucleic Acids Res 29:332-5. 2001..Advanced queries using combinations of these parameters are also possible. GlycoSuiteDB can be accessed on the web at http://www.glycosuite.com...
- Asparagine-linked glycosylation in the yeast GolgiN Dean
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Institute for Cell and Developmental Biology, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5215, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1426:309-22. 1999..Current views on how these enzymes may be regulated and how glycosylation relates on other cellular processes are also discussed...
- Lipooligosaccharide structure contributes to multiple steps in the virulence of Neisseria meningitidisLaura Plant
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Biomedical Centrum, Uppsala University, PO Box 582, Uppsala, Sweden
Infect Immun 74:1360-7. 2006..Taken together, the results of this study further define the importance of the LOS structure as a virulence component involved in multiple steps in the pathogenesis of N. meningitidis...
- Analysis of N-glycans in embryonated chicken egg chorioallantoic and amniotic cells responsible for binding and adaptation of human and avian influenza virusesNongluk Sriwilaijaroen
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Life and Health Sciences, Chubu University, 1200 Matsumoto cho, Kasugai, Aichi, 487 8501, Japan
Glycoconj J 26:433-43. 2009..8 and 12.7, respectively. These results have revealed structures and molar percents of N-glycans in CAM and AM cells important in determining human and avian influenza virus infection and viral adaptation...
- Default biosynthesis pathway for blood group-related glycolipids in human small intestine as defined by structural identification of linear and branched glycosylceramides in a group O Le(a-b-) nonsecretorJonas Angstrom
Institute of Medical Biochemistry Göteborg University, Box 440, SE 405 30, Sweden
Glycobiology 14:1-12. 2004....
- Structure of the N-linked oligosaccharides that show the complete loss of alpha-1,6-polymannose outer chain from och1, och1 mnn1, and och1 mnn1 alg3 mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeY Nakanishi-Shindo
National Institute of Bioscience and Human Technology, Ibaraki, Japan
J Biol Chem 268:26338-45. 1993....
- Automated measurement of permethylated serum N-glycans by MALDI-linear ion trap mass spectrometryMailys Guillard
Laboratory of Pediatrics and Neurology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Carbohydr Res 344:1550-7. 2009..Although sample processing still needs optimization, this method provides a reproducible and high-throughput approach for measurement of N-glycans using a MALDI-linear ion trap instrument...
- Differentiation of glycosphingolipid-derived glycan structural isomers by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometryHasse Karlsson
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Cell Biology, University of Gothenburg, P O Box 440, S 40530 Göteborg, Sweden
Glycobiology 20:1103-16. 2010..Here, liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry of the oligosaccharides released by endoglycoceramidase allowed tentative identification of a number of glycosphingolipids ranging from tri- to nonaglycosylceramides...
- The Aeromonas hydrophila wb*O34 gene cluster: genetics and temperature regulationNatalia Jimenez
Departamento Microbiologia, Facultad Biologia, Universidad Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08071 Barcelona Spain
J Bacteriol 190:4198-209. 2008..hydrophila serotype O34 strains...
- Statistical analysis of the Bacterial Carbohydrate Structure Data Base (BCSDB): characteristics and diversity of bacterial carbohydrates in comparison with mammalian glycansStephan Herget
Core Facility Molecular Structure Analysis W160, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Struct Biol 8:35. 2008..Since bacterial glycans are typically displayed at the cell surface, they can interact with the environment and, therefore, have significant biomedical importance...
- In vitro synthesis of artificial polysaccharides by glycosidases and glycosynthasesMagda Faijes
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Institut Quimic de Sarria, Universitat Ramon Llull, Via Augusta 390, 08017 Barcelona, Spain
Carbohydr Res 342:1581-94. 2007....
- Dimeric galectin-1 binds with high affinity to alpha2,3-sialylated and non-sialylated terminal N-acetyllactosamine units on surface-bound extended glycansAnne Leppanen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oklahoma Center for Medical Glycobiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 975 N E 10th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 280:5549-62. 2005..These results indicate that dGal-1 functions as a dimer to recognize LN units on extended PLs on cell surfaces...
- Elucidation of O-glycosylation structures of the beta-amyloid precursor protein by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry using electron transfer dissociation and collision induced dissociationIrina Perdivara
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Proteome Res 8:631-42. 2009..Thus, the combination of the CID and ETD techniques in LC-MS is shown here, as a powerful tool for de novo identification of O-glycosylations at unknown modification sites in proteins...
- Direct chemical synthesis of the beta-mannans: linear and block syntheses of the alternating beta-(1-->3)-beta-(1-->4)-mannan common to Rhodotorula glutinis, Rhodotorula mucilaginosa, and Leptospira biflexaDavid Crich
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois, 845 West Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7061, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:15081-6. 2004..9%. The second synthesis, a block synthesis, makes use of the coupling of two trisaccharides, resulting in a shorter sequence and an overall yield of 4.4%, despite the poor selectivity in the key step...
- Synthesis of N-glycan oxazolines: donors for endohexosaminidase catalysed glycosylationThomas W D F Rising
Chemistry Research Laboratory, Oxford University, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TA, UK
Carbohydr Res 341:1574-96. 2006..Efficient endohexosaminidase catalysed glycosylation of a synthetic beta-D-GlcpNAcAsn glycosyl amino acid is demonstrated with the trisaccharide oxazoline donor...
- Molecular organization of the alkali-insoluble fraction of Aspergillus fumigatus cell wallT Fontaine
Laboratoire des Aspergillus, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Biol Chem 275:27594-607. 2000..The data obtained suggested that the branching of beta-1,3-glucan is an early event in the construction of the cell wall, resulting in an increase of potential acceptor sites for chitin, galactomannan, and the linear beta-1,3/1,4-glucan...
- A unique dermatan sulfate-like glycosaminoglycan from ascidian. Its structure and the effect of its unusual sulfation pattern on anticoagulant activityM S Pavão
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Biol Chem 270:31027-36. 1995..These results suggest that 4-O-sulfation of the N-acetyl-beta-D-galactosamine residues is essential for the anticoagulant activity of dermatan sulfate...
- Structural diversity and changes in conformational equilibria of biantennary complex-type N-glycans in water revealed by replica-exchange molecular dynamics simulationSuyong Re
RIKEN Advanced Science Institute, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Biophys J 101:L44-6. 2011..Hence, the range of specific glycan-protein interactions and affinity changes need to be understood in terms of the structural diversity of glycans and the alteration of conformational equilibria by core modification...
- High-specificity affinity reagents for N-glycosylation site mapping and glycomicsRobert J Woods; Fiscal Year: 2013..The principle advantages of an engineered Lectenz(r) are that the Lectenz(r) is specific to a defined carbohydrate sequence, and, in contrast to antibodies, will recognize that sequence in a broad range of glycan contexts...
- High-specificity affinity reagents for N-glycosylation site mapping and glycomicsRobert Woods; Fiscal Year: 2009..The principle advantages of an engineered lectenz over an antibody are that the lectenz is specific to the carbohydrate sequence, but, in contrast to antibodies, will recognize that sequence in a broad range of glycans...
- GLYCOSPHINGOLIPIDS IN ONCOGENESIS AND DIFFERENTIATIONBruce Macher; Fiscal Year: 1992..will extend this work by using biochemical and chemical techniques which include TLC immunostaining with carbohydrate sequence-specific monoclonal antibodies and fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry (FAB/MS), to determined the ..
- GLYCAN SEQUENCING AT THE FEMTOMOLE LEVEL (SFC-NCI-MS)Vernon Reinhold; Fiscal Year: 1993This application outlines methodology that may provide a detailed carbohydrate sequence, including monomer residue, linkage, and branching, at the femtomole level...
- PREVENTING ANTI-GAL PRODUCTION AGAINST XENOGRAFTSUri Galili; Fiscal Year: 2003..Success in these studies will help in planning effective treatments for preventing anti-Gal response in primate xenografts recipients. | ..
- INCREASE/gp120 IMMUNOGENICITY/LINKED ALPHA-GAL EPITOPESUri Galili; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will then also collaborate with a group studying immune responses in monkeys to determine the efficacy of this vaccine in a primate model. ..
- Xenograft-like rejection of tumors in a-gal glycolipidsURI GALILI GALILI; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will study this treatment in a unique mouse model that simulates the pertinent human immunological parameters. Success in the studies in the mouse model will enable us to apply this treatment to cancer patients. ..
- A Thermo Electron LTQ Mass SpectrometerJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..The salary for the instrument operator will be provided by the Dean of BU School of Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Enzymatic Transglycosylation for N-Glycopeptide SynthesisLai Xi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the long term, the proposed studies will contribute to the development of glycoprotein-based drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multivalent gp41 Peptides as Novel ImmunogensLai Xi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The structure-immunogenicity relationships will be evaluated. It is expected that the proposed studies will yield important new data with significant relevance to the development of an effective HIV-1 vaccine. ..
- Novel Vaccine Targeting the Sugar Coat of HIV-1Lai Xi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The synthetic conjugate-vaccine will be used to immunize mice. The immune responses will be analyzed using ELISAs and virus neutralization assays. ..
- Role of LOS and Opa in gonococcal host interactionsDaniel C Stein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The impact on human health is expected to be significant, because the new knowledge will likely make possible new approaches to the prevention and treatment of gonorrhea. ..
- Macrophage signaling upon M avium infectionJeffrey Schorey; Fiscal Year: 2008..avium pathogenesis and in macrophage activation. We will use a combination of genetic, immunological and cell biological approaches to address these important questions. ..
- An Artificial Golgi: Controlled GAG Synthesis and ScreeningROBERT J contact LINHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2010..This artificial Golgi uses a digital microfluidic platform for synthesis and screen activity on a cell microarray to develop a structure activity relationship for fibroblast growth factor signaling. ..
- Engineering and Integration of Osteochondral TissueJennifer Elisseeff; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific aim 3. Chemical attachment of hydrogels to cartilage for improved tissue-implant integration in the joint. ..
- Exocyclic C-C Modifications of Aromatic PolyketidesJON THORSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..A particular focus of the final diversification strategies presented will be focused upon conjugation of these highly reactive antitumor antibiotics with known tumor-directing peptides. ..
- RHIZOBIAL LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDES ESSENTIAL FOR INFECTIONRussell W Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2010..create specific LPS mutants and characterize their structural and symbiotic phenotypes, and (3.) determine how a 27OHC28:0-lacking mutant, acpXL::kan, is able to activate an alternative mechanism within the host cell. ..
- MAMMALIAN SIALIC ACID BINDING PROTEINSJames C Paulson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since siglecs are widely expressed on white blood cells that comprise the innate and acquired immune system, understanding their roles may provide insights into regulating the immune system in human health and disease. ..
- Technologies for the rapid engineering of bacterial chromosomes with synthetic DNJAMES KEALEY; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Glyconjugate Analysis WorkshopVernon Reinhold; Fiscal Year: 2006..From these discussions, it is hoped that a comprehensive strategy for carbohydrate sequencing can be formulated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification of SV40 T Antigen Inhibitors: A Route to Novel Anti-Viral ReagentJEFFREY BRODSKY; Fiscal Year: 2008..The described efforts employ a novel target, a positive control, and local collaborators, which will aid the completion of the stated goals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cosmc - A Novel Molecular Chaperone Regulating O-GlycansRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Control of virulence in Neisseria meningitidisYih Ling Tzeng; Fiscal Year: 2009..meningitidis and are important to the development of new approaches for meningococcal disease prevention and treatment. ..
- Beta-Lactamases and DD-Peptidases: Active Site ChemistryREX PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will lead to new insight into the chemistry of [unreadable]-lactamase and transpeptidase active sites, and thus to new directions in antibiotic design. ..
- Poly-N-acetyl glucosamine as a vaccine for bacterial pathogensGerald B Pier; Fiscal Year: 2010..coli, Yersinia spp. including the cause of plague, and possibly other PNAG-producing organisms. ..
- Beta-Lactamases and DD-Peptidases: Active Site ChemistryRex F Pratt; Fiscal Year: 2010..E Gyp 0-. ... G'O --a tail ... 'Fn "-'a'- .N. >.t (Nn Nn. om' m' "L" O-- Oil 0.0)-7-.o 9,' -_p >'7 ='L ..
- Comparative Glycomics of the HIV Protein gp 120Heather Desaire; Fiscal Year: 2009..Collaborators on the project include Dr. George Bousfield, a glycobiologist from Wichita State University, and Drs. Mike Alterman and Todd Williams, Co-Directors of the University of Kansas Proteomics Facility. ..
- Nuclear modifier genes for maternally inherited deafnessMin Xin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, the success of this research will contribute significantly to the development of animal models for therapeutic interventions. ..
- Tissue Engineering in Congenital Craniofacial DefectsJennifer Elisseeff; Fiscal Year: 2009..Normal and mutant mouse cell lines will be used in addition to a clonally-derived mouse mesenchymal stem cell line. Tissue development will be assessed by radiographic and histological analyses. ..
- Kynurenic Acid Synthesis in Mouse BrainJianyong Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..The research described in this proposal investigates physiology and biochemistry of enzymes responsible for the production of brain KYNA using mice as model species. ..
- Structural Mechanisms for the Inhibition of ThrombosisJAMES HUNTINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- CFTR AND INFECTION OF CYSTIC FIBROSIS PATIENTSGerald Pier; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall, an enhanced understanding of the normal resistance to P. aeruginosa infection and the role of CFTR in this process will be obtained from the proposed aims. ..
- Oligosaccharides Regulating Cell FunctionRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This grant application represents a high risk/high reward undertaking aimed at developing LMP as an effective treatment for of debilitating diseases caused by the deregulation of apoptosis, such as cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of breast cancer growth by activation peptideVaclav Vetvicka; Fiscal Year: 2006..The overall goal is to generate a pharmacological agent for breast cancer based on blockage of the autocrine growth factor activity of pCD. ..
- Targeted Integration of Tissue Engineered CartilageJennifer Elisseeff; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue integration will be monitored by morphological, biochemical, and mechanical analysis. ..
- Genetic Correction of Maternally Inherited DiseasesMin Xin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the long term, fundamental experimental approaches and knowledge, which results from this proposed work would be applicable to many other tRNA gene mutations, associated diseases in humans. ..
- Novel Carboxylated N-Glycans that Mediate InflammationHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2003..The impact of solving these structures could be quite substantial. However, in the past, we have had difficulty establishing this structure, and therein lies the risk in this project and why it responds to PA-97-049. ..
- Human Glycosylation Disorders 2003Hudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since this meeting immediately precedes the annual meeting of the Society for Glycobiology, it will increase the chances of recruiting glycobiologists to explore the various types of human glycosylation disorders. ..
- LIPOOLIGOSACCHARIDE BIOSYNTHESIS IN NEISSERIACEAEDaniel Stein; Fiscal Year: 2004..By understanding the relationship between disease and the expression of a specific surface component, we can design vaccines that can prevent the disease in specific demographic groups. ..
- Tissue-Specific Mechanisms of Allergic InflammationBruce Bochner; Fiscal Year: 2004..We expect that the results of these studies will be of great relevance to human disease pathogenesis and the development of new therapeutics. ..
- Biochemical Basis of Maternally Inherited DeafnessMin Xin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2003..of this project will enhance the understanding of pathogenic mechanisms of maternally inherited deafness, lead to the future therapies directed toward specific underlying abnormalities, and the development of animal models to test ..
- Function of Opa and LOS in gonococcal pathogenesisDaniel Stein; Fiscal Year: 2002..The impact on human health is expected to be significant, because the new knowledge will likely make possible new approaches to the prevention and treatment of gonorrhea. ..
- The CFTR Degradation Pathway in YeastJEFFREY BRODSKY; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SIALIC ACID MODULATION REGULATES NEUTROPHIL DIAPEDESISAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will define a new mechanism for a rapidly adaptable, temporally- restricted local response to inflammation. This proposal will provide new targets and additional approaches to the treatment of inflammation. ..
- Bacillus anthracis cell surface carbohydratesRussell Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Russell Carlson at the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center at the University of Georgia, Dr. David Stephens at Emory University, and Dr. Conrad Quinn at the Centers for Disease Control. ..
- RENAL POTASSIUM TRANSPORT IN PHYSIOLOGY AND DISEASESChou Long Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The biochemical studies will be correlated with electrophysiological recording of channel activity. ..
- Novel Approaches to Mend Deficient GlycosylationHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MUROPEPTIDE RECYCLING PATHWAY & BETA LACTAMASE INDUCTIONJames Park; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Mechanism of Aminoglycoside OtotoxicityMin Xin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ultimate goal of this study is to develop the aminoglycoside analogs with less toxicity and to provide aminoglycoside treatment strategies that prevent irreversible cochlear damage. ..
- Host Response in S. aureus Infections: Role of T cellsArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2006..aureus infections. This information may reveal new strategies for the prevention or treatment of S. aureus infections through immunomodulation of the host response to this organism. ..
- Controlled Drug Delivery to Colon Tumors Via UltrasoundWILLIAM PITT; Fiscal Year: 2006..The research outcomes will prove hypotheses, which will become the basis for understanding and exploiting this therapy in the treatment of localized cancers, hopefully paving the way for clinical application. ..
- Molecular Principles of FGF-HSGAG InteractionsRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Protective anti-LPS antibodies: what are they?William Wade; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will clarify the "type" of anti-V. cholerae LPS antibodies that are protective and thus substantiate or not the use of Inaba neoconjugates as a vaccine component. ..
- Early events during infection with anthraxAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Database for Glycan StructuresRam Sasisekharan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This forms the framework for the present STTR grant application as a fast-track Phases I and II grant application that is highly integrated towards addressing the requirements of the glycomics field. ..
- DEVELOPMENT GLYCOBIOLOGY OF CAENORHABDITIS ELEGANSRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since C. elegans and vertebrates express many similar glycosyltransferases, these studies may also provide important insights into glycan function in vertebrate development, differentiation and acquisition of the malignant phenotype. ..
- Immunity of Schistosome GlycoconjugatesRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important new insights into the immune responses to glycan antigens in parasitic infections and test the potential of glycan-protein conjugates as vaccine candidates for parasitic helminths. ..
- INTERFERON Y MEDIATES ANTI E COLI DEFENSES AND SEPSISAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2001..The demonstration of a spectrum of responses to LPS in these studies may identify the earliest changes in cytokine responses that predict the development of sepsis. ..
- 'Immunity of Schistosome Glycoconjugates'Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Gordon Research Conference on Glycobiology 2003Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Fucosylated cell surface molecules in tumor invasionSTEVEN DOMINO; Fiscal Year: 2005..and in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced tumors, in the presence and absence of cell surface alpha(1,2)fucose by crossing mice into the Fut1 and Fut2 null background. ..
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since inhibitors of sialidase are commercially available, these studies will provide the experimental rationale for testing a new therapeutic approach to the treatment of lung injury. ..
- GLYCOSIDASES AS RELATED TO SPHINGOLIPIDOSESYu Teh Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our ultimate goal is to produce recombinant enzymes and make these biomedically useful glycosidases available to investigators in various fields. ..