Summary: Terms or expressions which provide the major means of access by subject to the bibliographic unit.
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- Understanding and using the medical subject headings (MeSH) vocabulary to perform literature searchesH J Lowe
Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachussetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston
JAMA 271:1103-8. 1994..MEDLINE is manually indexed with NLM's Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) vocabulary. Using MeSH, a searcher can potentially create powerful and unambiguous MEDLINE queries...
- Medical subject headings used to search the biomedical literatureM H Coletti
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 8:317-23. 2001..in that each reference to the medical literature is indexed under a controlled vocabulary called Medical Subject Headings (MeSH). These headings are the keys that unlock the medical literature...
- Searching for clinical prediction rules in MEDLINEB J Ingui
Health Sciences Library, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 8:391-7. 2001..The objective of this study was to derive and validate an optimal search filter for retrieving clinical prediction rules, using the National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database...
- The Unified Medical Language System (UMLS): integrating biomedical terminologyOlivier Bodenreider
Lister Hill Center for Biomedical Communications, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Building 38A, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:D267-70. 2004..Vocabularies integrated in the UMLS Metathesaurus include the NCBI taxonomy, Gene Ontology, the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), OMIM and the Digital Anatomist Symbolic Knowledge Base...
- Variations in Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) mapping: from the natural language of patron terms to the controlled vocabulary of mapped listsLora V Gault
The Library, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, Indiana 46323 2590, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 90:173-80. 2002This study compared the mapping of natural language patron terms to the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) across six MeSH interfaces for the MEDLINE database.
- GIS: a biomedical text-mining system for gene information discoveryJung Hsien Chiang
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan, ROC
Bioinformatics 20:120-1. 2004..The aim of this system is to provide researchers an easy-to-use bio-information service that will rapidly survey the rapidly burgeoning biomedical literature...
- Optimal search strategies for retrieving scientifically strong studies of diagnosis from Medline: analytical surveyR Brian Haynes
Health Information Research Unit, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, L8N 3Z5, Canada
BMJ 328:1040. 2004..To develop optimal search strategies in Medline for retrieving sound clinical studies on the diagnosis of health disorders...
- Comparison of Medical Subject Headings and text-word searches in MEDLINE to retrieve studies on sleep in healthy individualsElizabeth S Jenuwine
College of Nursing, Wayne State University, 5557 Cass Avenue, Room 300 Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 92:349-53. 2004..The objective was to investigate the performance of two search strategies in the retrieval of primary research papers containing descriptive information on the sleep of healthy people from MEDLINE...
- Medical indexing outside the National Library of MedicineBruce McGregor
Division of Production and Distribution, American Medical Association, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 90:339-41. 2002
- The interaction of domain knowledge and linguistic structure in natural language processing: interpreting hypernymic propositions in biomedical textThomas C Rindflesch
Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:462-77. 2003..The approach has the potential to support a range of applications, including information retrieval and ontology engineering...
- A reference ontology for biomedical informatics: the Foundational Model of AnatomyCornelius Rosse
Departments of Biological Structure, and Medical Education and Biomedical Informatics, Structural Informatics Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:478-500. 2003....
- Evidence-based decision making in action: Part 1--Finding the best clinical evidenceJane L Forrest
National Center for Dental Hygiene Research at the University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 3:10-26. 2002..Practice tips are provided along with online resources related to the evidence-based process...
- Two new psychology databases: e-psyche and psycARTICLESPatricia Tomasulo
Ehrman Medical Library, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Med Ref Serv Q 21:65-74. 2002
- OQAFMA Querying agent for the Foundational Model of Anatomy: a prototype for providing flexible and efficient access to large semantic networksPeter Mork
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:501-17. 2003....
- Using CISMeF MeSH "Encapsulated" terminology and a categorization algorithm for health resourcesAurélie Névéol
CISMeF, Rouen University Hospital, Rouen Cedex, France
Int J Med Inform 73:57-64. 2004CISMeF is a Quality Controlled Health Gateway using a terminology based on the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) thesaurus that displays medical specialties (metaterms) and the relationships existing between them and MeSH terms...
- Effects of the gay publishing boom on classes of titles retrieved under the subject headings "Homosexuality," "Gay Men," and "Gays" in the OCLC WorldCat databaseJames V Carmichael
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 24702 6171, USA
J Homosex 42:65-88. 2002....
- Searching biomedical databases on complementary medicine: the use of controlled vocabulary among authors, indexers and investigatorsLinda S Murphy
Science Library Reference Department, University of California, Irvine 926233 9557, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 3:3. 2003The optimal retrieval of a literature search in biomedicine depends on the appropriate use of Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), descriptors and keywords among authors and indexers...
- Searching the medical literatureG Gore
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Inj Prev 9:103-4. 2003
- An inventory of publications on computer-based medical records: an updateP W Moorman
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Methods Inf Med 42:199-202. 2003..No signs indicating an increasing interest of high-impact medical journals to publish on the computer-based patient record could be determined. In this review we provide an update...
- Consistency across the hierarchies of the UMLS Semantic Network and MetathesaurusJ J Cimino
Department of Medical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:450-61. 2003....
- Clinical Evidence diagnosis: Developing a sensitive search strategy to retrieve diagnostic studies on deep vein thrombosis: a pragmatic approachSam Vincent
Clinical Evidence, London, UK
Health Info Libr J 20:150-9. 2003..To devise and evaluate a sensitive search strategy to retrieve diagnostic studies on specific diagnostic tests for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)...
- Two biomedical sublanguages: a description based on the theories of Zellig HarrisCarol Friedman
Department of Medical Informatics, Columbia University, VC5, Vanderbilt Building, 622 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032 3720, USA
J Biomed Inform 35:222-35. 2002..The two domains and their associated sublanguages discussed are: the clinical domain, where the text consists of patient reports, and the biomolecular domain, where the text consists of complete journal articles...
- The structure of science informationZellig S Harris
J Biomed Inform 35:215-21. 2002..Examples are provided from immunology and the social sciences. Practical applications include storage of science information in databases, indexing the literature, and identification and resolution of controversy...
- The cohesive metaschema: a higher-level abstraction of the UMLS Semantic NetworkYehoshua Perl
Computer Science Department, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
J Biomed Inform 35:194-212. 2002..We present a set of graphical views of the SN based on the metaschema to help in user orientation to the SN. A study compares the cohesive metaschema to metaschemas derived semantically by UMLS experts...
- Making sense of liver enzymes, liver function tests, and hepatobiliary disorders at the reference deskCharles R Fikar
Health Sciences Library, Nassau University Medical Center, 2201 Hempstead Turnpike, East Meadow, NY 11554, USA
Med Ref Serv Q 22:15-22. 2003..Commonly used medical jargon for this area is also explained. Examples of specific search strategies are illustrated...
- Changing vocabularies: a guide to help bioethics searchers find relevant literature in National Library of Medicine databases using the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) indexing vocabularyTamar Joy Kahn
Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 13:275-311. 2003
- Information extraction from biomedical textJerry R Hobbs
USC Information Sciences Institute, Marina del Rey, CA 90292, USA
J Biomed Inform 35:260-4. 2002..In other domains, the technology plateaued at about 60% recall and precision. Even if applications to biomedical text do no better than this, they could still prove to be of immense help to curatorial activities...
- Paraphrasing for condensation in journal abstractingRichard Kittredge
Department of Linguistics and Translation, University of Montreal, CP 6128, Succ A, Montreal, Que, Canada H3C 3J7
J Biomed Inform 35:265-77. 2002..The descriptive framework is computable and utilizes existing linguistic resources...
- Designing metaschemas for the UMLS enriched semantic networkLi Zhang
Computer Science Department NJIT, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:433-49. 2003..These two metaschemas and their underlying partitions are compared. Both metaschemas serve as compact representations of the ESN, allowing for convenient viewing of its hierarchy and easier comprehension...
- Retrieval and classification of dental research articlesW C Bartling
Center for Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Adv Dent Res 17:115-20. 2003..MeSH term inclusion decreased performance. Computer programs that use text input to categorize articles may aid in retrieval of a broad corpus of literature better than indexing terms or key words alone...
- Text mining neuroscience journal articles to populate neuroscience databasesChiquito J Crasto
Center for Medical Informatics, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Neuroinformatics 1:215-37. 2003..Software that uses the NeuroText approach can facilitate the creation of curated, special-interest, bibliography databases...
- MaSTerClass: a case-based reasoning system for the classification of biomedical termsIrena Spasic
School of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, Sackville Street, PO Box 88, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Bioinformatics 21:2748-58. 2005..The extracted terms still need to be correctly positioned relative to other terms in the network. Classification as a means of semantic typing represents the first step in updating a semantic network with new terms...
- Optimal search strategies for identifying sound clinical prediction studies in EMBASEJennifer L Holland
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:11. 2005..We undertook the systematic development of search strategies ("hedges") for retrieval of empirically tested clinical prediction guides from EMBASE...
- An expert study evaluating the UMLS lexical metaschemaLi Zhang
Computer Science Department, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University Heights, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Artif Intell Med 34:219-33. 2005..In this paper, a statistical analysis methodology is presented to evaluate the lexical metaschema based on a study involving a group of established UMLS experts...
- Resolving abbreviations to their senses in MedlineS Gaudan
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Bioinformatics 21:3658-64. 2005..Resolving an abbreviation in a document consists of retrieving its sense in use. Abbreviation resolution improves accuracy of document retrieval engines and of information extraction systems...
- Searching a biomedical bibliographic database from the Ukraine: the Panteleimon databaseAjit Kumar
National Medical University, Kiev, Ukraine
Health Info Libr J 22:223-7. 2005
- Searching a biomedical bibliographic database from Hungary--the 'Magyar Orvosi Bibliográfia'Ildiko Kele
Department of Psychiatry, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Health Info Libr J 22:293-5. 2005
- Experiments with hierarchical concept-based searchRobert Moskovitch
Medical Informatics Research Center, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
Stud Health Technol Inform 129:422-6. 2007..Concept Based Search applied in addition to a low baseline is outperforming significantly, especially when queried on concepts in the third level and using disjunction within the hierarchical trees...
- Use of methodological search filters to identify diagnostic accuracy studies can lead to the omission of relevant studiesM M G Leeflang
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 59:234-40. 2006..To determine the usefulness of methodological filters in search strategies for diagnostic studies in systematic reviews...
- Optimal search strategies for detecting cost and economic studies in EMBASER James McKinlay
Health Information Research Unit, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University Medical Centre, 1200 Main Street West, Room 3H7, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 6:67. 2006..A key source of this type of information is large bibliographic databases such as EMBASE. The objective of this study was to develop search strategies that optimize the retrieval of health costs and economics studies from EMBASE...
- Literature search parameters marginally improved the pooled estimate accuracy for ultrasound in detecting deep venous thrombosisBehrouz Kassai
Clinical Investigation Centre INSERM, Department of Clinical Pharmacology EA 3736, Hôpitaux de Lyon, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, Lyon Cedex 08, France
J Clin Epidemiol 59:710-4. 2006..Our objectives were to compare search strategies with and without methodological terms in Medline, to find out how other databases complement Medline, and how these strategies affect the pooled estimates of the accuracy...
- Ranking the whole MEDLINE database according to a large training set using text indexingBrian P Suomela
Ontario Genomics Innovation Centre, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
BMC Bioinformatics 6:75. 2005..This report describes a method that does this ranking using the differences in word content between MEDLINE entries related to a topic and the whole of MEDLINE, in a computational time appropriate for an article search query engine...
- Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound and relevant causation studies in EMBASER Brian Haynes
Health Information Research Unit, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:8. 2005..Although such filters have previously been developed for studies of relevance to causation in MEDLINE, no empirically tested search strategy exists for EMBASE...
- Exploring the evidence: the challenges of searching for research on acupunctureKaren Pilkington
The Research Council for Complementary Medicine, London, UK
J Altern Complement Med 10:587-90. 2004..While on MEDLINE randomized controlled trials are routinely identified as a specific publication type, on other databases and for other study types, the situation is less straightforward...
- Evaluation of methodological search filters--a reviewMichelle Jenkins
Department of Information and Communications, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
Health Info Libr J 21:148-63. 2004....
- Developing efficient search strategies to identify reports of adverse effects in MEDLINE and EMBASESu Golder
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, UK
Health Info Libr J 23:3-12. 2006..This study aimed to assess the performance, in terms of sensitivity and precision, of different approaches to searching MEDLINE and EMBASE to identify studies of adverse effects...
- [SIBIL: an information tool for the information retrieval on bioethics]Adriana Dracos
Servizio Informatico, Documentazione, Biblioteca ed Attività Editoriali, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome
Ann Ist Super Sanita 40:283-6. 2004..Future trends of the website are also discussed for sharing experiences with other countries and laying the basis for a European portal on bioethics...
- Searching multiple databases for systematic reviews: added value or diminishing returns?C Stevinson
Department of Exercise and Health Sciences, Centre for Sport, Exercise and Health, University of Bristol, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol BS8 1TP, UK
Complement Ther Med 12:228-32. 2004..To explore whether searching specialised bibliographic databases identified additional relevant papers to those located by a Medline search for a systematic review of exercise therapy...
- Systematic searches for the effectiveness of respite careSu Golder
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, Heslington YO10 5DD
J Med Libr Assoc 96:147-52. 2008
- MedScan, a natural language processing engine for MEDLINE abstractsSvetlana Novichkova
Ariadne Genomics, Inc, 9100 Great Seneca HWY, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Bioinformatics 19:1699-706. 2003..Most proposals to date make rather simplistic assumptions about the syntactic aspect of natural language. There is an urgent need for a system that has broad coverage and performs well in real-text applications...
- Techniques for searching the CINAHL database using the EBSCO interfaceJanna C Lawrence
Briscoe Library, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Tex, USA
AORN J 85:779-80, 782-88, 790-1. 2007..More than 2,800 journals are indexed by CINAHL and can be searched easily using assigned subject headings. Detailed instructions about conducting, combining, and saving searches in CINAHL are provided in this ..
- New combination vaccines: DTaP-IPV (Kinrix) and DTaP-IPV/Hib (Pentacel)Tracy L Johns
Family Medicine Residency, University of South Florida, Morton Plant Mease Health Care, 807 N Myrtle Ave, Clearwater, FL 33755, USA
Ann Pharmacother 44:515-23. 2010....
- Benefits and risks of adjunctive inhaled corticosteroids in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysisDiana M Sobieraj
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, Connecticut, USA
Clin Ther 30:1416-25. 2008....
- Review of eight pharmacoeconomic studies of the value of biologic DMARDs (adalimumab, etanercept, and infliximab) in the management of rheumatoid arthritisQuan V Doan
Cerner LifeSciences, 9100 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 605E, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 12:555-69. 2006..Treatment options for the management of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have expanded from the traditional disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) to include the biologic DMARDs that inhibit tumor necrosis factoralpha (TNF-a)...
- Effectiveness of interventions that assist caregivers to support people with dementia living in the community: a systematic reviewDeborah Parker
University of Queensland Blue Care Research and Practice Development Centre, Formally of the Dementia Collaborative Research Centre, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Evid Based Healthc 6:137-72. 2008..A second more extensive search was then conducted using the appropriate Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) and keywords for other available databases...
- Does this adult patient have septic arthritis?Mary E Margaretten
Division of Rheumatology, PRIME Program, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0633, USA
JAMA 297:1478-88. 2007..In patients who present with an acutely painful and swollen joint, prompt identification and treatment of septic arthritis can substantially reduce morbidity and mortality...
- Do pacifiers reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome? A meta-analysisFern R Hauck
Department of Family Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Pediatrics 116:e716-23. 2005..This meta-analysis was undertaken to quantify and evaluate the protective effect of pacifiers against SIDS and to make a recommendation on the use of pacifiers to prevent SIDS...
- Does this patient have a family history of cancer? An evidence-based analysis of the accuracy of family cancer historyHarvey J Murff
Division of General Internal Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and Department of Veterans Affairs, Tennessee Valley Healthcare System, Research Education and Clinical Center, Nashville, Tenn 37212 2637, USA
JAMA 292:1480-9. 2004..A family history of certain cancers is associated with an increased risk of developing cancer. Both cancer screening and genetic services referral decisions are often based on self-reported pedigree information...
- Caspofungin versus amphotericin B for candidemia: a pharmacoeconomic analysisJohn R Wingard
University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, 32610, USA
Clin Ther 27:960-9. 2005..7% and 62.8% of patients, respectively) and exhibited a generally better safety profile, particularly with respect to impaired renal function (IRF) (P = 0.02)...
- What is eHealth (4): a scoping exercise to map the fieldClaudia Pagliari
Division of Clinical and Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, 20 West Richmond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9DZ, United Kingdom
J Med Internet Res 7:e9. 2005....
- The microbiology laboratory's role in response to bioterrorismBarbara Robinson-Dunn
Section of Microbiology, Michigan Department of Community Health, Lansing, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:291-4. 2002..Clinical microbiology laboratories will play a pivotal role in the detection of attacks involving weapons of mass destruction...
- Paramedic determinations of medical necessity: a meta-analysisLawrence H Brown
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 13:516-27. 2009..Objective. This systematic review and meta-analysis evaluated studies reporting U.S. paramedics' ability to determine medical necessity of ambulance transport...
- Antepartum glucose tolerance test results as predictors of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic reviewSherita Hill Golden
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Gend Med 6:109-22. 2009..Women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) are at high risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- MEDLINE in the UK: pioneering the past, present and futureSteve J Pritchard
University Library Service, Information Services, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Health Info Libr J 22:38-44. 2005..are now offering mapping of natural language queries to the sophisticated indexing vocabulary (Medical Subject Headings, MeSH) and the provision of specific filters for different types of publication to improve searching ..
- Pharmacoepidemiology and the "impact factor"Emilio J Sanz
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, 38071, La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 60:765-72. 2005..Utilization" research has been analysed by studying published research articles under the medical subject headings (MeSH terms) "Pharmacoepidemiology", "Drug Utilization" and "Drug Utilization Review"...
- Adjuvant radiotherapy for patients with locally advanced prostate cancer--a new standard?Ute Ganswindt
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munchen, Marchioninistr 15, 81373 München, Germany
Eur Urol 54:528-42. 2008..After radical prostatectomy (RPE) pathologically advanced disease is detected in 38% to 52% of patients. Retrospective data on the role of postoperative radiotherapy (RT) are controversial...
- Development and evaluation of evidence-based nursing (EBN) filters and related databasesMary A Lavin
Center for Interprofessional Education and Research, Saint Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 93:104-15. 2005..This article describes the development and evaluation of filters that facilitate evidence-based nursing searches...
- GeneMesh: a web-based microarray analysis tool for relating differentially expressed genes to MeSH termsSaurin D Jani
Department of Regenerative Medicine and Cell Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 11:166. 2010....
- Orthopaedic literature and MeSHStuart J Nelson
National Library of Medicine, Library Operations, 8600 Rockville Pike, Room B2E17, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:2621-6. 2010..The Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), used to provide indexing and assist in searching, are partly responsible for this standard...
- Hoarse voice in adults: an evidence-based approach to the 12 minute consultationI Syed
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Wexham Park Hospital, Slough SL2 4HL, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 34:54-8. 2009..This article provides a guide for the clinician in the general ENT clinic to make a concise, thorough assessment of the hoarse patient and engage in an evidence based approach to investigation and management...
- Does total joint replacement or arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint yield better functional results? A systematic review of the literatureMark Brewster
University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire, Coventry, UK
J Foot Ankle Surg 49:546-52. 2010..Using multiple search engines and medical subject headings, 10 articles were eligible for inclusion: 5 featured arthrodesis and 5 featured total joint replacement...
- Herbal medicine for low back pain: a Cochrane reviewJoel J Gagnier
Institute of Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:82-92. 2007..A systematic review of randomized controlled trials...
- A tool for sharing annotated research data: the "Category 0" UMLS (Unified Medical Language System) vocabulariesJules J Berman
Cancer Diagnosis Program, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Rockville, MD, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 3:6. 2003..However, a subset of the UMLS vocabularies, designated Category 0 by UMLS, can be used to annotate and share data sets without violating the UMLS License Agreement...
- Cardiorespiratory fitness as a quantitative predictor of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events in healthy men and women: a meta-analysisSatoru Kodama
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tsukuba Institute of Clinical Medicine, 3 2 7 Miya machi, Mito, Ibaraki 310 0015, Japan
JAMA 301:2024-35. 2009..Epidemiological studies have indicated an inverse association between cardiorespiratory fitness (CRF) and coronary heart disease (CHD) or all-cause mortality in healthy participants...
- Management strategies for patients with pulmonary hypertension in the intensive care unitRoham T Zamanian
Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Crit Care Med 35:2037-50. 2007....
- Does fetal sex affect pregnancy outcome?Gian Carlo Di Renzo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Center for Perinatal and Reproductive Medicine, Univesity of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Gend Med 4:19-30. 2007..In maternal fetal medicine, gender differences in outcome are often observed...
- Total vs partial fundoplication in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a meta-analysisOswald Varin
Department of Surgery, Ghent University Hospital 2K12 IC, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Arch Surg 144:273-8. 2009..To perform a meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing partial fundoplication (PF) with total (Nissen) fundoplication (TF) for gastroesophageal reflux disease in terms of morbidity, efficacy, and long-term symptomatology...
- Evaluation and management of patients after implantable cardioverter-defibrillator shockAnil K Gehi
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
JAMA 296:2839-47. 2006..Thus, the nonelectrophysiologist will often encounter patients who have received an ICD shock...
- Can cost utility evaluations inform decision making about interventions for low back pain?Simon Dagenais
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8M5 Canada
Spine J 9:944-57. 2009..Numerous interventions are routinely used, although few are supported by strong evidence. Cost utility analyses (CUAs) may be helpful to inform decision makers...
- Automatic medical encoding with SNOMED categoriesPatrick Ruch
Medical Informatics Service, University and University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8:S6. 2008..In this paper, we describe the design and preliminary evaluation of a new type of tools to speed up the encoding of episodes of care using the SNOMED CT terminology...
- Evidence-based medicine for occupational healthJos H Verbeek
Coronel Institute for Work, Environment and Health, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Scand J Work Environ Health 28:197-204. 2002..This study attempted to determine the feasibility and utility of methods used in evidence-based medicine for some common questions in the practice of occupational medicine...
- A case study: using social tagging to engage students in learning Medical Subject HeadingsLauren A Maggio
Alumni Medical Library, Boston University Medical Center, 715 Albany Street L 12, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 97:77-83. 2009In exploring new ways of teaching students how to use Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), librarians at Boston University's Alumni Medical Library (AML) integrated social tagging into their instruction...
- Cocaine cardiotoxicity: a review of the pathophysiology, pathology, and treatment optionsKatharine Phillips
Department of Pathology, Toronto General Hospital University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 9:177-96. 2009..search was conducted to identify all English language articles from January 2000 to June 2008 with the subject headings and key words 'cocaine', 'heart', 'toxicity', and 'cardiotoxicity'...
- Searching the MEDLINE literature database through PubMed: a short guideEdith Motschall
Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Medizinische Informatik, Universitat Freiburg, Germany
Onkologie 28:517-22. 2005..show how the application of Medline search tools and how the use of the controlled vocabulary of 'Medical Subject Headings' (MeSH) will influence the results in comparison with the fast and simple approach...
- Enhancing evidence-based practice--a controlled vocabulary for nursing practice and researchKaija Saranto
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Int J Med Inform 70:249-53. 2003..The vocabulary is based on terms of the Medline thesaurus the medical subject headings (MeSH) by National Library of Medicine and the International Classification for Nursing Practice by the ..
- The attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of GPs regarding exercise for chronic knee pain: a systematic reviewElizabeth Cottrell
Arthritis Research Campaign National Primary Care Centre, Primary Care Sciences, Keele University, Keele, Newcastle under Lyme, UK
BMC Fam Pract 11:4. 2010..This systematic review aims to identify the attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of General Practitioners (GPs) regarding the use of exercise for CKP/KOA...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of a fixed, low-dose perindopril-indapamide combination as first-line treatment of hypertensionSheng Kang
Department of Epidemiology, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Heart Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Clin Ther 26:257-70. 2004....
- Diagnostic and prognostic molecular markers in renal cell carcinomaHari S G R Tunuguntla
Department of Urology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Urol 179:2096-102. 2008..We reviewed the contemporary literature on molecular biomarkers in renal cell carcinoma and their prognostic significance...
- Probiotics for necrotizing enterocolitis: a systematic reviewAndrew R Barclay
Department of Child Health, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:569-76. 2007..The authors aimed to review the existing data on the use of oral probiotics for the prevention of NEC in preterm infants (age <33 weeks) and those with very low birth weight (VLBW)...
- A "hot" topic in dyslipidemia management--"how to beat a flush": optimizing niacin tolerability to promote long-term treatment adherence and coronary disease preventionTerry A Jacobson
Office of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Department of Medicine, Emory University, Faculty Office Building, 49 Jessie Hill Jr Dr SE, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:365-79. 2010..This search used the title keywords niacin or nicotinic acid crossed with the Medical Subject Headings adverse effects and human...
- Death denial: obstacle or instrument for palliative care? An analysis of clinical literatureCamilla Zimmermann
Division of Medical Oncology and Haematology, University of Toronto and Department of Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Canada
Sociol Health Illn 29:297-314. 2007..setting, a Medline search (1971 to 2001) was performed combining the text words 'deny' and 'denial' with the subject headings 'terminal care', 'palliative care' and 'hospice care'...
- Parasitological efficacy of antimalarials in the treatment and prevention of falciparum malaria in pregnancy 1998 to 2009: a systematic reviewR McGready
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Tak, Thailand
BJOG 118:123-35. 2011..Pregnant women are at increased risk from malaria. Resistance to all classes of antimalarials has affected the treatment and prevention of malaria in pregnancy...
- Meta-analysis of risk of malignancy with immunosuppressive drugs in inflammatory bowel diseaseYukari Masunaga
Student, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacy, Hatsudai Rehabilitation Hospital, Tokyo
Ann Pharmacother 41:21-8. 2007..There is a concern as to whether long-term administration of immunosuppressants in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) would increase the risk of malignancy...
- Effectiveness of prokinetic agents against diseases external to the gastrointestinal tractToru Hiyama
Health Service Center, Hiroshima University, 1 7 1 Kagamiyama, Higashihiroshima 739 8521, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:537-46. 2009..A Medline search was performed (1975-July, 2008) using the following medical subject headings: prokinetic agent, metoclopramide, domperidone, trimebutine, cisapride, itopride, mosapride, tegaserod, and ..
- Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a reviewR J Maughan
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 16:411-20. 2003..The aim of this review is to evaluate the available literature concerning the effect of caffeine ingestion on fluid balance and to formulate targeted and evidence-based advice on caffeinated beverages in the context of optimum hydration...
- Oxytocin antagonists for tocolysis in preterm labour -- a systematic reviewAravinthan Coomarasamy
Education Resource Centre, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Med Sci Monit 8:RA268-73. 2002..Oxytocin antagonists have been shown to inhibit uterine contractions and delay preterm delivery. Our objective was to examine the clinical effectiveness and safety of oxytocin antagonists for tocolysis in preterm labour...
- Antimalarial drug quality in AfricaA A Amin
Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
J Clin Pharm Ther 32:429-40. 2007..There are several reports of sub-standard and counterfeit antimalarial drugs circulating in the markets of developing countries; we aimed to review the literature for the African continent...
- The role of androgen deprivation in the definitive management of clinically localized prostate cancer treated with radiation therapyF A Vicini
Department of Radiation Oncology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 43:707-13. 1999..We performed a MEDLINE search of all available studies on this topic to determine if any conclusions could be reached on the efficacy of this treatment approach and the patients most suitable for its application...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of real-world adherence to drug therapy for osteoporosisPrajesh Kothawala
Cerner LifeSciences, 9100 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 655E, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 82:1493-501. 2007..To quantify the adherence of patients to drug therapy for osteoporosis in real-world settings via a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies...
- Denial of impending death: a discourse analysis of the palliative care literatureCamilla Zimmermann
Division of General Internal Medicine, University Health Network, Department of Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Soc Sci Med 59:1769-80. 2004..A Medline search (1970-2001) was performed combining the text words "deny" and "denial" with the subject headings "terminal care", "palliative care" and "hospice care," and restricted to English articles discussing death ..
- Intra-arterial thrombolysis for central retinal artery occlusion: a systematic reviewJ Noble
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Br J Ophthalmol 92:588-93. 2008..This review provides an updated analysis of the evidence supporting intra-arterial thrombolysis (IAT) for the treatment of central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO)...
- 8th Joint Conference of the International Cytokine Society (ICS) and InternationaLeonidas C Platanias; Fiscal Year: 2010..the most important research developments and advances in the cytokine and/or interferon fields under the subject headings: inflammation, T cell biology/adaptive immunity, signal transduction, IL-1 biology, immunoregulation, ..
- National Library of Medicine Training CenterSharon Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2013..The NLM training program includes coverage of PubMed (including the Medical Subject Headings and related resources such as the Journals Database) and other databases offered via the National Center for ..
- National Library of Medicine Training CenterSharon Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2012..The NLM training program includes coverage of PubMed (including the Medical Subject Headings and related resources such as the Journals Database) and other databases offered via the National Center for ..
- National Library of Medicine Training CenterSharon Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2011..The NLM training program includes coverage of PubMed (including the Medical Subject Headings and related resources such as the Journals Database) and other databases offered via the National Center for ..
- MACHINE READABLE CATALOGING MEDICAL ARTIFACTSPATSY GERSTNER; Fiscal Year: 1991..for three-dimensional objects, the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules, second edition (AACR2), the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) of the National Library of Medicine, and the bibliographic utility of the On-Line Computer Library ..
- Geriatricweb: The Geriatric Digital Library ProjectIhab Hajjar; Fiscal Year: 2002..a categorization method using a specific geriatric taxonomy based on the National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings thesaurus, and an audience and source attribute which designates the appropriate educational level and author ..
- INDEX OF MEDIEVAL MEDICAL IMAGES IN NORTH AMERICAYNEZ O NEILL; Fiscal Year: 1990..terminology: inconographic descriptors (from the Editors File of the Princeton Index of Christian Art and subject headings (from the Library of Congress Subject Heading List and the Medical Subject Heading List)...
- LIBRARY BUSINESS INFORMATION SERVICEARLENE MANGINO; Fiscal Year: 1991..and a profile of seminar participants 3) an educational program of lectures; exercises (in selecting subject headings and in formulating and executing a search strategy); and hands-on computer time to introduce managers and adm...
- Arrowsmith Data Mining Techniques in Neuro-InformaticsNEIL SMALHEISER; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., abstract words or MeSH subject headings, will also be evaluated...
- Tech Assisted Learning-Enabling Neurodiagnostic TeachingSHIRLEY WRAY; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] .To utilize the National Library of Medicine's Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) as the standardized vocabulary for subject indexing to insure effective access and high accuracy ..
- CLINICAL SEARCH RETRIEVAL FROM FOUR ELECTRONIC DATABASESR Haynes; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., sensitivity); and evaluating the usefulness of the clinical hedges in the intended users group, clinicians. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diabetes and Drug-Associated Hyperkalemia: Effect of Laboratory MonitoringMarsha Raebel; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings will also assist in developing a framework for future studies to evaluate the effects and costs of medication-laboratory monitoring among patients with diabetes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparison of Risk Factors for SIDS and Other Sudden Unexpected Deaths in InfancyFERN HAUCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Caregiver Intervention for Caregivers of SCI PatientsRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2006..The analytic plan will enable us to assess causal links between treatment components and specific outcomes as well as explore cultural and racial variations in treatment effectiveness. ..
- Interoperation of Genome Databases and ToolsKei Hoi Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will extend our approach to other types of genomic data such as microarray data, which both laboratories and others will soon be generating in large quantities. ..
- Coordinating Center for Caregiver Intervention TrialRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2003..A uniform battery of predictor and outcome measures will be collected at baseline, three and six months. Cost effectiveness and clinical significance of the two conditions will also be evaluated. ..
- A Comprehensive Database of Cost-Effectiveness AnalysesPeter Neumann; Fiscal Year: 2003..The web-based data should also understand the needs of different scientists to be understood and policymakers, and bridges to be built across disparate communities. ..
- PITTSBURGH NIA ACADEMIC CAREER LEADERSHIP AWARDRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Methods to be followed, key faculty and administrators who will participate in this process, and specific outcomes associated with each of these aims are described in subsequent sections of this application. ..
- Preventing Harm from Alcohol Use in Older AdultsAlison Moore; Fiscal Year: 2006..If such an intervention is successful, potentially hundreds of thousands of older persons may benefit from a reduction in their risks associated with alcohol use and prevention of harm. ..
- Partitioning to Support Auditing and Extending the UMLSYehoshua Perl; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Project on TRAC: Improving Asthma Control in ChildrenAndrew Harver; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Sematic Relatedness for Active Medication Safety and Outcomes SurveillanceSerguei V S Pakhomov; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PSYCHIATRIC AND PHYSICAL EFFECTS OF CAREGIVINGRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Mortality rates among care-recipients are high enough in this study to enable us to examine the effects of bereavement in a relatively large sample of elderly spousal pairs. ..
- QUALITY OF LIFE AND RELATIONSHIPS AFTER BMTJohn Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2001..This information is essential to subsequent planning and implementation of relevant, well-aimed interventions to minimize psychosocial disruption and enhance growth in future BMT recipients and their loved ones. ..
- Screening for STDs using home sampling in EstoniaAnneli Uuskula; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will allow us to identify STD infected individuals, and to develop selective screening criteria to be used in general population studies and screening programs in Estonia. ..
- PREVENTING HARMFUL AND HAZARDOUS DRINKING IN THE ELDERLYAlison Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..A secondary objective of the proposed research is to develop and pilot test interventions to be used by at-risk (i.e., harmful or hazardous) drinking older persons and their physicians to reduce risky drinking. ..
- HUMAN POPULATION GROWTH IMPACT ON S. HAEMATOBIUMCharles King; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- A Controlled Terminology for Diagnoses and Findings in General DentistryTitus Schleyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Operational Definition of Chronic Disability in the National Long-Term Care SurveElena Erosheva; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings of this study will benefit secondary users of the NLTCS data and future designers of longitudinal surveys that aim to track chronic disability status of the elderly over time. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Conference:Dental Informatics and Dental ResearchTitus Schleyer; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Taxonomies Supporting Orientation, Navigation and Auditing of TerminologiesYehoshua Perl; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will demonstrate the utility of our taxonomy-based methodologies by defining various complexity measures with respect to the underlying terminology networks and by tracking terminology evolution. ..
- Toward Evidence Based Treatments to Reduce DUI RelapseHoward Shaffer; Fiscal Year: 2006..By identifying risk factors associated with relapse, this study will provide the foundation for new evidence-based treatment efforts that can curtail the rate of DUI [reoffense.] ..