Genomes and Genes
Summary: The total number of cases of a given disease in a specified population at a designated time. It is differentiated from INCIDENCE, which refers to the number of new cases in the population at a given time.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwideLj Stovner
Norwegian National Headache Centre, Department of Neuroscience, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Cephalalgia 27:193-210. 2007..Campaign to Reduce the Burden of Headache Worldwide', assesses and presents all existing evidence of the world prevalence and burden of headache disorders...
- HIV infection and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: the perfect stormCharles D Wells
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:S86-107. 2007..The global human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection epidemic has caused explosive increases in TB incidence and may be contributing to increases in MDR-TB prevalence.
- Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2008Katherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3311 Toledo Rd, Room 4315, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
JAMA 303:235-41. 2010The prevalence of obesity increased in the United States between 1976-1980 and 1988-1994 and again between 1988-1994 and 1999-2000.
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rateAndrew S Levey
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:604-12. 2009..Equations to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) are routinely used to assess kidney function. Current equations have limited precision and systematically underestimate measured GFR at higher values...
- Prevalence of diabetes among men and women in ChinaWenying Yang
China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 362:1090-101. 2010Because of the rapid change in lifestyle in China, there is concern that diabetes may become epidemic. We conducted a national study from June 2007 through May 2008 to estimate the prevalence of diabetes among Chinese adults.
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010Katherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3311 Toledo Rd, Room 4315, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
JAMA 307:491-7. 2012Between 1980 and 1999, the prevalence of adult obesity (body mass index [BMI] ≥30) increased in the United States and the distribution of BMI changed. More recent data suggested a slowing or leveling off of these trends.
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010Cynthia L Ogden
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, Maryland 20782, USA
JAMA 307:483-90. 2012The prevalence of childhood obesity increased in the 1980s and 1990s but there were no significant changes in prevalence between 1999-2000 and 2007-2008 in the United States.
- Global cancer statistics, 2002D Max Parkin
Unit of Descriptive Epidemiology, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
CA Cancer J Clin 55:74-108. 2005Estimates of the worldwide incidence, mortality and prevalence of 26 cancers in the year 2002 are now available in the GLOBOCAN series of the International Agency for Research on Cancer...
- Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequencesRobert E Black
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Lancet 371:243-60. 2008
- Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007-2008Cynthia L Ogden
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
JAMA 303:242-9. 2010The prevalence of high body mass index (BMI) among children and adolescents in the United States appeared to plateau between 1999 and 2006.
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distressR C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Psychol Med 32:959-76. 2002..A 10-question screening scale of psychological distress and a six-question short-form scale embedded within the 10-question scale were developed for the redesigned US National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)...
- Global data on visual impairment in the year 2002Serge Resnikoff
Programme for the Prevention of Blindness and Deafness, World Health Organization, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:844-51. 2004This paper presents estimates of the prevalence of visual impairment and its causes in 2002, based on the best available evidence derived from recent studies...
- Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001Ali H Mokdad
Division of Adult and Community Health, 4770 National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
JAMA 289:76-9. 2003..Obesity and diabetes are increasing in the United States...
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012Cynthia L Ogden
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, Maryland
JAMA 311:806-14. 2014More than one-third of adults and 17% of youth in the United States are obese, although the prevalence remained stable between 2003-2004 and 2009-2010.
- IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030David R Whiting
International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 94:311-21. 2011Diabetes is an increasingly important condition globally and robust estimates of its prevalence are required for allocating resources.
- Global burden of diabetes, 1995-2025: prevalence, numerical estimates, and projectionsH King
Division of Noncommunicable Diseases, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Diabetes Care 21:1414-31. 1998To estimate the prevalence of diabetes and the number of people with diabetes who are > or =20 years of age in all countries of the world for three points in time, i.e...
- Human papillomavirus is a necessary cause of invasive cervical cancer worldwideJ M Walboomers
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 189:12-9. 1999..001). Combining the data from this and the previous study and excluding inadequate specimens, the worldwide HPV prevalence in cervical carcinomas is 99.7 per cent...
- Vitamin D deficiencyMichael F Holick
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Diabetes, the Vitamin D, Skin, and Bone Research Laboratory, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
N Engl J Med 357:266-81. 2007
- The number of people with glaucoma worldwide in 2010 and 2020H A Quigley
The Glaucoma Service and the Dana Center for Preventive Opthalmalogy, Wilmer Opthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 90:262-7. 2006..To estimate the number of people with open angle (OAG) and angle closure glaucoma (ACG) in 2010 and 2020...
- National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2·7 million participantsGoodarz Danaei
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Lancet 378:31-40. 2011Data for trends in glycaemia and diabetes prevalence are needed to understand the effects of diet and lifestyle within populations, assess the performance of interventions, and plan health services...
- Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health SurveysSaba Moussavi
Department of Measurement and Health Information Systems, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 370:851-8. 2007..Depression is often comorbid with other chronic diseases and can worsen their associated health outcomes. Few studies have explored the effect of depression, alone or as a comorbidity, on overall health status...
- Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesityYoufa Wang
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 1:11-25. 2006..This paper summarises the available information on recent trends in child overweight and obesity prevalence.
- The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee reportMatthew Masoli
Allergy 59:469-78. 2004
- Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: a mathematical modelReuben M Granich
Department of HIV AIDS, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 373:48-57. 2009..We investigated a theoretical strategy of universal voluntary HIV testing and immediate treatment with ART, and examined the conditions under which the HIV epidemic could be driven towards elimination...
- A world malaria map: Plasmodium falciparum endemicity in 2007Simon I Hay
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Centre for Geographic Medicine, Kenya Medical Research Institute University of Oxford Wellcome TrustCollaborative Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
PLoS Med 6:e1000048. 2009..It is exactly 40 y since the last global map of malaria endemicity was published. This paper describes the generation of a new world map of Plasmodium falciparum malaria endemicity for the year 2007...
- Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndromeB Isomaa
Department of Internal Medicine, Jakobstad Hospital, Finland
Diabetes Care 24:683-9. 2001To estimate the prevalence of and the cardiovascular risk associated with the metabolic syndrome using the new definition proposed by the World Health Organization
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in the United StatesJosef Coresh
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
JAMA 298:2038-47. 2007The prevalence and incidence of kidney failure treated by dialysis and transplantation in the United States have increased from 1988 to 2004...
- Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey ReplicationRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:617-27. 2005Little is known about the general population prevalence or severity of DSM-IV mental disorders.
- Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030Sarah Wild
Public Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
Diabetes Care 27:1047-53. 2004The goal of this study was to estimate the prevalence of diabetes and the number of people of all ages with diabetes for years 2000 and 2030.
- The obesity epidemic in the United States--gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: a systematic review and meta-regression analysisYoufa Wang
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Epidemiol Rev 29:6-28. 2007..Average annual increase in and future projections for prevalence were estimated by using linear regression models...
- US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008Brent M Egan
Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 135 Rutledge Ave, 1230 RT, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
JAMA 303:2043-50. 2010..Hypertension is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease and treatment and control of hypertension reduces risk. The Healthy People 2010 goal was to achieve blood pressure (BP) control in 50% of the US population...
- The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interactions with the HIV epidemicElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England, UK
Arch Intern Med 163:1009-21. 2003..The increasing global burden of tuberculosis (TB) is linked to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection...
- The projected effect of risk factor reduction on Alzheimer's disease prevalenceDeborah E Barnes
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Lancet Neurol 10:819-28. 2011At present, about 33·9 million people worldwide have Alzheimer's disease (AD), and prevalence is expected to triple over the next 40 years...
- Kidney disease as a risk factor for development of cardiovascular disease: a statement from the American Heart Association Councils on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, High Blood Pressure Research, Clinical Cardiology, and Epidemiology and PreventionMark J Sarnak
Circulation 108:2154-69. 2003
- Global burden of hypertension: analysis of worldwide dataPatricia M Kearney
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Lancet 365:217-23. 2005Reliable information about the prevalence of hypertension in different world regions is essential to the development of national and international health policies for prevention and control of this condition...
- Global estimates of cancer prevalence for 27 sites in the adult population in 2008Freddie Bray
Section of Cancer Information, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 132:1133-45. 2013Recent estimates of global cancer incidence and survival were used to update previous figures of limited duration prevalence to the year 2008...
- Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030J E Shaw
Epidemiology, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87:4-14. 2010..We estimated the number of people worldwide with diabetes for the years 2010 and 2030...
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summaryKlaus F Rabe
Leiden University Medical Center, Pulmonology, P O Box 9600, NL 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:532-55. 2007..GOLD national leaders, a network of international experts, have initiated investigations of the causes and prevalence of COPD in their countries, and developed innovative approaches for the dissemination and implementation of COPD ..
- The global health burden of infection-associated cancers in the year 2002Donald Maxwell Parkin
Clinical Trials Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford, Headington, UK
Int J Cancer 118:3030-44. 2006..several methods; primarily by reviewing the evidence for the strength of the association (relative risk) and the prevalence of infection in different world areas...
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general populationRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Ave, Suite 215, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:184-9. 2003Public Law 102-321 established a block grant for adults with "serious mental illness" (SMI) and required the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to develop a method to estimate the prevalence of SMI.
- Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC Phases One and Three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveysM Innes Asher
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Lancet 368:733-43. 2006Data for trends in prevalence of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema over time are scarce...
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part IIReva C Lawrence
NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:26-35. 2008To provide a single source for the best available estimates of the US prevalence of and number of individuals affected by osteoarthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis, gout, fibromyalgia, and carpal tunnel syndrome, as ..
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyEarl S Ford
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Mailstop E 17, Atlanta, GA 30333
JAMA 287:356-9. 2002..Limited information is available about the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in the United States, however.
- Global patterns of influenza a virus in wild birdsBjorn Olsen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Science 312:384-8. 2006....
- The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R)Ronald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 289:3095-105. 2003Uncertainties exist about prevalence and correlates of major depressive disorder (MDD).
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trialRobert C Bailey
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Lancet 369:643-56. 2007..Our aim was to determine whether male circumcision had a protective effect against HIV infection, and to assess safety and changes in sexual behaviour related to this intervention...
- Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemicP Zimmet
International Diabetes Institute, 260 Kooyong Road, Caulfield, Victoria 3162, Australia
Nature 414:782-7. 2001..The prevention of diabetes and control of its micro- and macrovascular complications will require an integrated, international approach if we are to see significant reduction in the huge premature morbidity and mortality it causes...
- G6PD deficiency prevalence and estimates of affected populations in malaria endemic countries: a geostatistical model-based mapRosalind E Howes
Spatial Ecology and Epidemiology Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 9:e1001339. 2012..We present a continuous evidence-based prevalence map of G6PDd and estimates of affected populations, together with a national index of relative haemolytic risk.
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis: objectives and designDiane E Bild
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:871-81. 2002The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis was initiated in July 2000 to investigate the prevalence, correlates, and progression of subclinical cardiovascular disease (CVD) in a population-based sample of 6,500 men and women aged 45-84 ..
- Trends in prevalence and outcome of heart failure with preserved ejection fractionTheophilus E Owan
Cardiorenal Research Laboratory, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 355:251-9. 2006The prevalence of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction may be changing as a result of changes in population demographics and in the prevalence and treatment of risk factors for heart failure...
- A commentary on studies presenting projections of the future prevalence of dementiaSam Norton
Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
BMC Public Health 13:1. 2013Population ageing over the first half of this century is likely to lead to dramatic increases in the prevalence of dementia. This will affect all regions of the world, but particularly developing regions...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver, steatohepatitis, and the metabolic syndromeGiulio Marchesini
Unit of Metabolic Diseases and Department of Internal Medicine, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Hepatology 37:917-23. 2003..We assessed the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in 304 consecutive NAFLD patients without overt diabetes, on the basis of 3 or more ..
- The worldwide prevalence of ADHD: a systematic review and metaregression analysisGuilherme Polanczyk
ADHD Outpatient Program, Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Division, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Rua Ramiro Barcelos, 2350, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil 90035 003
Am J Psychiatry 164:942-8. 2007The worldwide prevalence estimates of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)/hyperkinetic disorder (HD) are highly heterogeneous. Presently, the reasons for this discrepancy remain poorly understood...
- Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disordersJurgen Rehm
Public Health and Regulatory Policies, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet 373:2223-33. 2009..We assess alcohol exposure and prevalence of alcohol-use disorders on the basis of reviews of published work...
- Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) StudyA S Go
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente of Northern California, 3505 Broadway, 12th Floor, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
JAMA 285:2370-5. 2001Atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia in elderly persons and a potent risk factor for stroke. However, recent prevalence and projected future numbers of persons with atrial fibrillation are not well described.
- Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international surveyTim J Cole
Centre for Paediatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCL Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH
BMJ 335:194. 2007..To determine cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents, based on body mass index at age 18 years...
- WHO analysis of causes of maternal death: a systematic reviewKhalid S Khan
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Lancet 367:1066-74. 2006..Evidence-based health policies and programmes aiming to reduce maternal deaths need reliable and valid information. We undertook a systematic review to determine the distribution of causes of maternal deaths...
- Prevalence and control of diabetes in Chinese adultsYu Xu
Key Laboratory for Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases of Ministry of Health, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, E Institute of Shanghai Universities, Shanghai, China
JAMA 310:948-59. 2013..Noncommunicable chronic diseases have become the leading causes of mortality and disease burden worldwide...
- International study of the prevalence and outcomes of infection in intensive care unitsJean Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
JAMA 302:2323-9. 2009..Infection is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in intensive care units (ICUs) worldwide. However, relatively little information is available about the global epidemiology of such infections...
- Epidemiology and etiology of childhood pneumoniaIgor Rudan
Croatian Centre for Global Health, University of Split Medical School, Split, Croatia
Bull World Health Organ 86:408-16. 2008..Although based on limited available evidence, recent studies have identified Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae and respiratory syncytial virus as the main pathogens associated with childhood pneumonia...
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fracturesO Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 17:1726-33. 2006..The aim of this study was to quantify the global burden of osteoporotic fracture worldwide...
- HIV prevalence in China: integration of surveillance data and a systematic reviewLei Zhang
The Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia Comprehensive AIDS Research Center, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China Electronic address
Lancet Infect Dis 13:955-63. 2013..We aimed to understand the complexity of HIV epidemics in China by systematically analysing prevalence trends by data source, region, population group, and time period.
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotypeL P Fried
Center on Aging and Health, The John Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M146-56. 2001..A standardized definition has not yet been established...
- Submicroscopic infection in Plasmodium falciparum-endemic populations: a systematic review and meta-analysisLucy C Okell
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 200:1509-17. 2009..Quantifying these submicroscopic infections is therefore key to understanding transmission dynamics and successfully reducing parasite transmission...
- The prevalence and correlates of adult ADHD in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey ReplicationRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:716-23. 2006Despite growing interest in adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), little is known about its prevalence or correlates.
- Alternatives for logistic regression in cross-sectional studies: an empirical comparison of models that directly estimate the prevalence ratioAluisio J D Barros
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Brazil
BMC Med Res Methodol 3:21. 2003..However, the odds ratio can importantly overestimate the prevalence ratio, the measure of choice in these studies...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver diseasePaul Angulo
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1221-31. 2002
- Health consequences of intimate partner violenceJacquelyn C Campbell
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, 525 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205 2110, USA
Lancet 359:1331-6. 2002..I recommend increased assessment and interventions for intimate partner violence in health-care settings...
- The levelling off of the obesity epidemic since the year 1999--a review of evidence and perspectivesB Rokholm
Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Obes Rev 11:835-46. 2010..Eligible studies and data sources were required to have at least two measures of obesity prevalence since 1999. A literature and Internet search resulted in 52 studies from 25 different countries...
- The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents - an IDF consensus reportPaul Zimmet
International Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pediatr Diabetes 8:299-306. 2007
- The asthma epidemicWaltraud Eder
University Children s Hospital, Munich, Germany
N Engl J Med 355:2226-35. 2006
- Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool childrenMercedes de Onis
Growth Assessment and Surveillance Unit, Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 92:1257-64. 2010..Childhood obesity is associated with serious health problems and the risk of premature illness and death later in life. Monitoring related trends is important...
- Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health SurveysKoen Demyttenaere
JAMA 291:2581-90. 2004..Little is known about the extent or severity of untreated mental disorders, especially in less-developed countries...
- Quantification of clinical morbidity associated with schistosome infection in sub-Saharan AfricaMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Trop 86:125-39. 2003..4 million and hepatomegaly in 8.5 million. As the associations between prevalence of S...
- Epidemiologic classification of human papillomavirus types associated with cervical cancerNubia Munoz
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyons, France
N Engl J Med 348:518-27. 2003..Infection with human papilloma virus (HPV) is the main cause of cervical cancer, but the risk associated with the various HPV types has not been adequately assessed...
- Diabetes in sub-Saharan AfricaJean Claude N Mbanya
Department of Internal Medicine and Specialties, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Lancet 375:2254-66. 2010In Sub-Saharan Africa, prevalence and burden of type 2 diabetes are rising quickly. Rapid uncontrolled urbanisation and major changes in lifestyle could be driving this epidemic...
- A systematic review of the global prevalence of low back painDamian Hoy
University of Queensland, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 64:2028-37. 2012To perform a systematic review of the global prevalence of low back pain, and to examine the influence that case definition, prevalence period, and other variables have on prevalence.
- International variation in the prevalence of COPD (the BOLD Study): a population-based prevalence studyA Sonia Buist
Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Lancet 370:741-50. 2007..pulmonary disease (COPD) is a growing cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide, and accurate estimates of the prevalence of this disease are needed to anticipate the future burden of COPD, target key risk factors, and plan for ..
- Burden of major musculoskeletal conditionsAnthony D Woolf
Peninsula Medical School, Duke of Cornwall Department of Rheumatology, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro TR1 3LJ, England
Bull World Health Organ 81:646-56. 2003..decline, but the increase in the number of older people in some regions makes it difficult to estimate future prevalence. Osteoporosis, which is characterized by low bone mass and microarchitectural deterioration, is a major risk ..
- HIV and syphilis prevalence among men who have sex with men: a cross-sectional survey of 61 cities in ChinaZunyou Wu
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Clin Infect Dis 57:298-309. 2013..We sought to test 3 hypotheses: (1) The prevalence of both HIV and syphilis among MSM in China is high, (2) the 2 epidemics each have unique geographical ..
- ACC/AHA 2005 Practice Guidelines for the management of patients with peripheral arterial disease (lower extremity, renal, mesenteric, and abdominal aortic): a collaborative report from the American Association for Vascular Surgery/Society for Vascular SurAlan T Hirsch
Circulation 113:e463-654. 2006
- Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994Stephen Cook
Strong Children s Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:821-7. 2003In adults the metabolic syndrome imposes a substantial risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus and premature coronary heart disease. Even so, no national estimate is currently available of the prevalence of this syndrome in adolescents.
- Global burden of COPD: systematic review and meta-analysisR J Halbert
Center Life Sciences, Beverly Hills, CA 90212, USA
Eur Respir J 28:523-32. 2006The aim of this study was to quantify the global prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) by means of a systematic review and random effects meta-analysis...
- Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in an urban population in the United States: impact of ethnicityJeffrey D Browning
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390 9046, USA
Hepatology 40:1387-95. 2004Despite the increasing prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), its pathogenesis and clinical significance remain poorly defined...
- Cervical human papillomavirus prevalence in 5 continents: meta-analysis of 1 million women with normal cytological findingsLaia Bruni
Unit of Infections and Cancer, Cancer Epidemiology Research Program, IDIBELL Institut Català d Oncologia, Barcelona, Spain
J Infect Dis 202:1789-99. 2010Baseline information on human papillomavirus (HPV) prevalence and type distribution is highly desirable to evaluate the impact of prophylactic HPV vaccines in the near future.
- Assessment of baseline age-specific antibody prevalence and incidence of infection to novel influenza A/H1N1 2009P Hardelid
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:115-92. 2010The objectives of the H1N1 2009 serological surveillance project were twofold: to document (1) the prevalence of cross-reactive antibodies to H1N1 2009 by age group in the population of England prior to arrival of the pandemic strain ..
- Global burden of COPD: risk factors, prevalence, and future trendsDavid M Mannino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health, University of Kentucky College of Public Health, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Lancet 370:765-73. 2007..As the global population ages, the burden of COPD will increase in years to come. Prevalence estimates of the disorder show considerable variability across populations, suggesting that risk factors can ..
- Malaria morbidity and pyrethroid resistance after the introduction of insecticide-treated bednets and artemisinin-based combination therapies: a longitudinal studyJean Francois Trape
Research Unit on Emerging Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Dakar, Senegal
Lancet Infect Dis 11:925-32. 2011..Our aim was to assess the effect of these policies on malaria morbidity, mosquito populations, and asymptomatic infections in a west African rural population...
- Increasing incidence and prevalence of the inflammatory bowel diseases with time, based on systematic reviewNatalie A Molodecky
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 142:46-54.e42; quiz e30. 2012We conducted a systematic review to determine changes in the worldwide incidence and prevalence of ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) in different regions and with time.
- Causes and prevalence of visual impairment among adults in the United StatesNathan Congdon
Wilmer Eye Institute, Wilmer 120, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:477-85. 2004To estimate the cause-specific prevalence and distribution of blindness and low vision in the United States by age, race/ethnicity, and gender, and to estimate the change in these prevalence figures over the next 20 years.
- Prevalence of intimate partner violence: findings from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violenceClaudia Garcia-Moreno
WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 368:1260-9. 2006....
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatmentHarald Breivik
University of Oslo, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty Division Rikshospitalet, Department of Anaesthesiology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Norway
Eur J Pain 10:287-333. 2006This large scale computer-assisted telephone survey was undertaken to explore the prevalence, severity, treatment and impact of chronic pain in 15 European countries and Israel...
- The contributions of hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections to cirrhosis and primary liver cancer worldwideJoseph F Perz
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Division of Viral Hepatitis, Epidemiology Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Hepatol 45:529-38. 2006..Chronic infections with hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) are well-recognized risk factors for cirrhosis and liver cancer, but estimates of their contributions to worldwide disease burden have been lacking...
- Extended international (IOTF) body mass index cut-offs for thinness, overweight and obesityT J Cole
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Pediatr Obes 7:284-94. 2012..International Obesity Task Force; IOTF) body mass index (BMI) cut-offs are widely used to assess the prevalence of child overweight, obesity and thinness...
- Burden of HIV among female sex workers in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysisStefan Baral
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 12:538-49. 2012..However, three decades into the HIV pandemic, understanding of the burden of HIV among these women remains limited. We aimed to assess the burden of HIV in this population compared with that of other women of reproductive age...
- Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey ReplicationRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:593-602. 2005Little is known about lifetime prevalence or age of onset of DSM-IV disorders.
- The kappa statistic in reliability studies: use, interpretation, and sample size requirementsJulius Sim
Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, United Kingdom
Phys Ther 85:257-68. 2005..This article examines and illustrates the use and interpretation of the kappa statistic in musculoskeletal research...
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in developing countriesAnoop Misra
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, Fortis Flt Lt Rajan Dhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi 110070, India
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:S9-30. 2008b>Prevalence of obesity and the metabolic syndrome is rapidly increasing in developing countries, leading to increased morbidity and mortality due to type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and cardiovascular disease.
- Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the worldFarin Kamangar
Nutritional Epidemiology and Biostatistics Branches, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD 20852 7244, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2137-50. 2006..global cancer disparities begin with an understanding of geographic patterns in cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence. Using the GLOBOCAN (2002) and Cancer Incidence in Five Continents databases, we describe overall cancer ..
- Estimates of the prevalence of pandemic (H1N1) 2009, United States, April-July 2009Carrie Reed
Influenza Division, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Mailstop A32, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:2004-7. 2009..Correcting for under-ascertainment using a multiplier model, we estimate that 1.8 million-5.7 million cases occurred, including 9,000-21,000 hospitalizations...
- Prevalence and characteristics of tinnitus among US adultsJosef Shargorodsky
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Mass, USA
Am J Med 123:711-8. 2010..Tinnitus is common; however, few risk factors for tinnitus are known...
Research Grants132 found, 100 shown here
- A Phase II Trial of Levodopa in Angelman Syndrome Wen Hann Tan; Fiscal Year: 2013..and movement disorders in children with Angelman Syndrome (AS), a rare neurodevelopmental disorder with a prevalence of approximately 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 20,000 individuals...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sutureless Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy Using Laser Tissue Welding: PreclinicYasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2013..The prevalence of cancer of the kidney and renal pelvis is 296,074, with 61.3% localized or 181493 patients...
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Screening studies suggest that the prevalence of moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in persons with tetraplegia ranges from 22% to 36%, thus greatly exceeding prevalence estimates of 9...
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..In fact, no study has examined the prevalence of iron overload in SCD adults by direct measurement of total body or tissue iron...
- Correction of glutathione deficiency for treatment of diabetic nephropathyPaolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2013..Veterans have high prevalence of T2DM, diabetic kidney disease, and associated OS...
- Exercise training and blood pressure in hypertension: integrated mechanismsNoreen F Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2012..While essential hypertension is most common, the prevalence of atherosclerotic renovascular hypertension is rising with prevalence as high as 50% in high risk patients who ..
- Pharmacogenetics of obesity and endocannabinergic modulation (POEM)Russell A Wilke; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The current obesity epidemic represents a major international health crisis. The prevalence of obesity-related medical problems is continuing to increase, placing an unprecedented burden on health care ..
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a complex disease with a prevalence as high as 1%...
- Autonomic, Endothelial, and Inflammatory Correlates of Sleep DurationMERCEDES RENEE CARNETHON; Fiscal Year: 2012Short sleep duration (<6 hours/night) is associated with a higher prevalence and incidence of hypertension, diabetes, and overweight/obesity, all of which can contribute to coronary heart disease...
- Principles of Therapy in Cerebellar Disease: Explorations in Ion Channel MutantsJOHN SAMUEL STAHL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The high prevalence arises because there are so many causes of cerebellar dysfunction, and because they are generally compatible ..
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..analysis of over 2500 non- diabetic individuals, the presence of OSA was associated with a significantly higher prevalence of prediabetes and incident diabetes, independently of obesity...
- Tyrosine Availability Influences Mesocortico-Limbic CatecholaminesGEORGE EUGENE JASKIW; Fiscal Year: 2012..There are several reasons why this might be so. The veteran population is predominantly male and has a high prevalence of psychiatric co-morbidity...
- Targeting Galectin-3 with novel drugs for treatment of eczemaFu Tong Liu; Fiscal Year: 2010Eczema affects a wide population age group, and prevalence of the disease has increased two- to three-fold during the past three decades in industrialized countries, where the current incidence in children is estimated to be 15-20%...
- Development of a Nonpsychotropic Cannabinoid Agonist for the Treatment of SclerodRobert B Zurier; Fiscal Year: 2012..Available data, while variable, indicate an incidence in the United States of 9 t 19 cases /million/year, and prevalence rates ranging from 28 to 253 cases/million (2). Current therapy is limited, with 10 year survival of 55%...
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010..A and carotenoid stores in high-risk patients can be designed, we need exploratory studies to: a) determine the prevalence and determinants of retinoid-carotenoid depletion in well-characterized subgroups of patients typically seen in ..
- Natural History and Prevention of Viral Hepatitis Among Alaska NativesBRIAN JAMES MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2013..strategies for infants, children, adolescents and adults have significantly decreased the incidence and prevalence of acute and chronic hepatitis B infection...
- Pathogenesis and Treatment of Liver Disease in Transaldolase DeficiencyAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also found an increased prevalence of TAL haploinsufficiency in human livers with cirrhosis and HCC...
- Reactive (AA)AmyloidosisMerrill D Benson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Veteran population also has an increase in prevalence of the age related amyloidoses including immunoglobulin amyloid, Alzheimer disease and senile cardiac ..
- Ang II and Overnutrition and Insulin resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..especially that characterized by excess intake of fat and carbohydrates) is a major factor in the increased prevalence of hypertension and diabetes...
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..1436C?T sequence variant, and an additional 34% are heterozygous. The high prevalence of this sequence variant has led to the speculation that it may be a benign polymorphism...
- Regulation of mural cells during pulmonary capillary formationStephen E McGowan; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: PROJECT NARRATIVE: Although the prevalence of smoking has declined, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and its attendant pathological pulmonary ..
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..existing prospective data to examine associations of Metsyn, physical activity and body habitus with measures of prevalence and progression of periodontal disease in a cohort of postmenopausal women...
- Patient-Derived Stem Cells for Phosphoproteomic Profiling NeuropsychopathologyDieter A Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2011..A major impediment to proper diagnosis has been such confounders as the prevalence of substance &alcohol abuse/dependence among those meeting criteria for BPD...
- Genetic and physiological causes of inherited Vascular and Metabolic DiseasesArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, to explore the prevalence and spectrum of LRP6 mutations in patients with metabolic syndrome and CAD, a cohort of 200 cases with early ..
- Statin modulation of immunotherapy for Alzheimer diseaseJun Tan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The frequency doubles every five years after age 60, increasing from a prevalence of about 1% in individuals aged 60 years to about 40% among those aged 85 years or greater...
- Mechanism of Bladder Overactivity in Pelvic IschemiaKazem M Azadzoi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The incidence of bladder overactivity and LUTS increases with age. Clinical studies suggest that the prevalence of bladder overactivity and LUTS among Veterans is almost five fold higher than its incidence in the general ..
- Epigenetics of Sex Differences in Brain and BehaviorBRIDGET NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The pervasiveness of strong gender biases in the prevalence and intensity of mental health and neurological disorders highlights the importance of understanding the ..
- Tat and CDK9 on gene expression alterations coupled to HIV-1 Associated DementiaXavier Grana; Fiscal Year: 2010..Also, increased survival rates resulting from HAART have led to an increase in the prevalence of neurological disorders...
- Cellular &Molecular Defects in Human B Cell DevelopmentCharlotte Cunningham-Rundles; Fiscal Year: 2013..variable immune deficiency (CVID) is the clinically most important primary antibody deficiency disease due to prevalence, complications, hospitalizations and requirement for lifelong immune globulin therapy...
- Role of CD44 in experimental Multiple SclerosisMitzi Nagarkatti; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are over 28,000 veterans currently diagnosed with MS. Due to its high prevalence, in 2003, the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) established the MS Centers of Excellence which are committed ..
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The prevalence of obesity in women who give birth in the US is 1 in 5, which is associated with severe health consequences for ..
- Combination drug treatment to inhibit multiple cell death pathways after TBIALAN IRA FADEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..A disability prevalence of 37% has been reported for TBI patients followed more than one year after hospitalization;based on this figure,..
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Despite improvements in tobacco control, the prevalence of cigarette smoking remains high at 27% among Veterans and 21% among the general U.S. population (~46 million U.S. adults)...
- Latin American Center for Malaria Research and ControlSOCRATES HERRERA VALENCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies proposed for aim 1 are directed to determine the real prevalence and incidence of malaria by considering both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals living in seasonal areas ..
- Central Action of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor in Male and Female RatsHaifei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: As the prevalence of overweight and obesity is rising, the incidence of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of ..
- Human neutrophils, phospholipase A2 and S.aureus: microbial targets and responsesWilliam M Nauseef; Fiscal Year: 2013..According to a VA-based study, the prevalence of SA infections increased from 26.93 per 1,000 discharges in 2000 to 30.59 in 2007 ( 14%)...
- Parathyroid Hormone & Vitamin D Effects on Salt Sensitivity and Vascular FunctionANNA LIZA BELEN VALINA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prevalence of elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH), typically a consequence of depressed vitamin D levels and/or low calcium ..
- Molecular mechanisms of lung disease in ataxia telangiectasiaJoAnn M Sekiguchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite the prevalence of ILD as a cause of death in A-T patients, the underlying mechanisms that lead to this phenotype are not well ..
- Adenosine and the Basal Forebrain in the Control of Behavioral StateRobert E Strecker; Fiscal Year: 2012..daytime sleepiness and difficulty maintaining alertness are very common medical complaints, with even greater prevalence in older males, such as the population of US veterans...
- Efficacy of Yoga for Treatment-Resistant PTSDBessel Van der Kolk; Fiscal Year: 2010..1 Saper, R.B., Eisenberg, D.M., Davis, R.B., Culpepper, L., Phillips, R.S., 2004. Prevalence and patterns of adult yoga use in the United States: results of a national survey. Altern. Ther. Health Med...
- INTERNET ENHANCED HEALTH PROMOTION FOR OBESE ETHNIC MINORITY ADOLESCENTSJessica A Whiteley; Fiscal Year: 2011A.1. Overview. The prevalence of childhood and adolescent obesity is increasing at alarming rates. The prevalence of overweight among adolescents aged 12 to 19 has tripled between 1980 and 2004 (Ogden et al., 2006)...
- Dietary Lipids and Silica-Accelerated AutoimmunityJames J Pestka; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. The prevalence of autoimmune diseases is markedly impacted by environmental factors (e.g...
- Regulation of Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Human COPD and EmphysemaFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2012..Despite an overall decline in the smoking prevalence in the United States, smoking incidence remains higher in veterans when compared to the same age group in the ..
- ECG-derived cardiopulmonary coupling biomarkers of sleep, sleep-breathing, and caRobert J Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..sensitivity is reliably increased, correlates with disease severity and outcomes, and contributes to the high prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing...
- Ghrelin: Behavioral, Anatomical, and Physiological Components of ObesityBRETT JOHN WARREN TEUBNER; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The prevalence of obesity and its associated deleterious health consequences is growing in the United States making it a critical area of research...
- Understanding Pain of Gastrointestinal Origin in Women that Serve in OEF/OIFBeverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent findings have shown that female veterans have a high prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and chronic gastrointestinal symptoms compared to their male ..
- Surgical amelioration of type 2 diabetes: Hormones, microbiota and mitochondriaPETER J contact HAVEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..With the increased prevalence to type-2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), new strategies for diabetes prevention are needed...
- Exome re-sequencing candidate loci for familial essential tremorBarry E Kosofsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): Essential tremor (ET) is one of the most common neurological disorders in humans with a prevalence reaching almost four percent...
- The genetics and pathophysiology of impaired Wnt signaling in metabolic syndromeArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2012..early CAD, metabolic syndrome and osteoporosis for mutations in LRP6, in order to identify the spectrum and prevalence of LRP6 mutation and establish genotype-phenotype correlations...
- Neural Functioning of Feeding Centers in Obese YouthROBERT STANLEY SHERWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Adolescent obesity is fueling the increase in the prevalence of T2DM in youth...
- Conditional HSF1 Expression for Ischemic CardioprotectionIvor J Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ischemic heart disease-the most common acquired heart disease in both men and women- has a higher prevalence in veterans of both sexes due to higher rates of obesity and cigarette use than the general population...
- Effects of Standardized Aerobic Exercise-Training on Neurocognitive and NeurodegeThomas O Obisesan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Given that AAs: i) have higher incidence and prevalence of AD than Caucasians, ii) have paucity of cross-sectional, and lack prospective data on the beneficial effect ..
- Stem Cell Homing for Treatment of Female Pelvic Floor DisordersMargot S Damaser; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since age, diabetes, and obesity are risk factors for FPFD, the aging US population and increasing prevalence of obesity and diabetes portend an FPFD epidemic in the U.S. in the coming decades...
- Targeting Cell Death to Prevent Ventricular Remodeling and Heart FailureAbhinav Diwan; Fiscal Year: 2011..Project Narrative Heart failure is a very common disease of the aging population, with the highest incidence and prevalence in the age group above 65, which is also the largest Veteran population group (more than 40%)...
- 4th ASM Conference on Prokaryotic Cell Biology and DevelopmentSusan S Golden; Fiscal Year: 2012..These insights into cell function are vitally important because of the increasing prevalence of antibiotic resistant pathogens...
- Predicting Bilirubin-induced Auditory Toxicity in Infants with Severe JaundiceSanjiv B Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because the prevalence of severe jaundice is low in the USA, an international collaborative study is required, that includes infants ..
- Effect of diet & commensal bacteria on diabetes outcome in NOD mouseLi Wen; Fiscal Year: 2010..To account for these changes in incidence and prevalence, the "Hygiene" or "Old Friends" hypothesis has been suggested...
- Non-invasive zoonotic pathogen exposure and outcome biomarkers with follow-up inChristopher D Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Devon Hall of the Rural Empowerment Association for Community Help (REACH) - from a CBPR cross-sectional MDRSA prevalence study among livestock workers and household members to a community-based participatory panel study among ..
- Identification of Compounds to treat Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 2E neuropathyRONALD K LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2010..CMT is the most commonly inherited neurological disorder with a reported prevalence of 1 in 2,500 people worldwide. It is found in all races and ethnic groups...
- Role of GDNF in the regulation of hepatic steatosisSHANTHI K SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a common cause of chronic liver disease in Veterans and its prevalence continues to increase, with the growing obesity epidemic...
- Respiratory and autonomic plasticity following intermittent hypoxiaJASON HAROLD MATEIKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Narrative The prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea is high in the Veteran population...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Preliminary data demonstrated a high prevalence of risk factors: 62% of recruited participants are hypertensive, 59% of the women and 43% of men are obese (BMI &..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Preliminary data demonstrated a high prevalence of risk factors: 62% of recruited participants are hypertensive, 59% of the women and 43% of men are obese (BMI &..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYAsoka Srinivasan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preliminary data demonstrated a high prevalence of risk factors: 62% of recruited participants are hypertensive, 59% of the women and 43% of men are obese (BMI &..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2013
- The Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseKATHLEEN ELIZABETH COREY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Corey's proposal will focus on testing three hypotheses;1) OSA is associated with an increased prevalence of NAFLD, 2) The interaction between OSA and NAFLD is mediated by lipid peroxidation as measured by OxLDL and 3) ..
- Development and Validation of an Instrument to Assess Cognitive Function RegulatiXi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..assessment focusing on oral hygiene status, denture hygiene (if applicable), gum inflammation and dental caries prevalence. The association between oral health measures and DRF in cognitively-impaired patients will be examined to ..
- Study of zidovudine addition in HIV-associated neurocognitive disordersAlbert Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The CNS complications of HIV continue to be a major source of morbidity and mortality. The prevalence of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder (HAND) is increasing...
- Mechanisms Regulating Reduced c-Kit-Dependent EAE Susceptibility in Male SJL MiceMELISSA ANN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The prevalence of this disease is estimated to be at least three times greater in females than males and while genetic, ..
- New drug VS-110 for treating inflammatory bowel diseasesJinshyun Ruth Wu-Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013..IBD primarily includes ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD). In the West, the prevalence has increased in the past 50 years to 120-200/100,000 persons for UC and 50-200/100,000 persons for CD...
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction as an Adjunctive Treatment for PsoriasisJan A Moynihan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disease, and may also be a systemic condition associated with increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome;it affects millions of individuals in the US and is associated with significant heath care ..
- Characterization of an essential mitochondrial rRNA methyltransferaseKip E Guja; Fiscal Year: 2013..diseases have a large impact in the population since, when considered as a class, they are estimated to have a prevalence of at least 1 in 5000...
- Real-Time Optical Diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease using SFDISylvain Gioux; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given that IBD has a prevalence of over 1...
- Early social stress, novelty seeking, and impulsive behaviorDavid M Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2013..Novelty seeking can be costly, however, as it increases the prevalence of reckless driving, pathological gambling, unprotected sex, under-age drinking, and other forms of alcohol and ..
- Prevalence and Impact of Frailty among Dialysis PatientsKirsten L Johansen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The specific research to be supported under this award is an exploration of the prevalence and significance of frailty among patients new to dialysis...
- Graves'Disease Therapy Risks to Mother and FetusScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..Databases will be analyzed to assess the prevalence of GD in pregnancy, ATD treatment use in pregnant women with GD, co-morbid conditions (i.e...
- Misregulation of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling in PKDJordan A Kreidberg; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a hereditary disease with a high prevalence and without a cure. PKD is characterized by numerous cysts within the kidneys of afflicted individuals...
- RYGB Improves Metabolism by Interrupting the Gastric Adipose Tissue AxisNaji N Abumrad; Fiscal Year: 2013..More alarming is the increase in prevalence of "super-obesity" (Class III obese) reaching in some localities 7% of the population, as in Tennessee where the ..
- Air Toxics, Neighborhood Environment and Risk of Oral CleftsPhilip J Lupo; Fiscal Year: 2013..little is known about the etiology of CL[unreadable]P , and there are currently no strategies for reducing its prevalence. Because of this, the identification of risk factors for CL[unreadable]P is part of the National Institute of ..
- Body composition, bone structure, and joint damage in rheumatoid arthritisJoshua F Baker; Fiscal Year: 2013..1 Recent studies suggest a greater prevalence and severity of arthritis in US veterans, compared with non-veterans...
- Role in Myopia Development of Retinal Pigment Epithelium - A New Therapeutic TargYan Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is the product of eyes growing excessively long. The prevalence and the severity of myopia have risen worldwide during the past several decades, stimulating increased research ..
- Functional Studies of Variants of the Bipolar Risk Gene CACNA1C in Human NeuronsJEN PAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Bipolar disorder is a chronic and severe mental illness with 1-2% lifetime prevalence in population of the United States...
- Mediators &prognostic value of muscle mass &function in chronic kidney diseaseFrancis Perry Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC), we will leverage multiple measures of muscle mass and function to characterize the prevalence, predictors, and impact of muscle loss and muscle dysfunction in a broad and diverse CKD population...
- Endothelial Cell Dysregulation in Neovascular AMDMark E Kleinman; Fiscal Year: 2013..AMD is a devastating blinding disease that affects as many as 10 million Americans, a number that rivals the prevalence of all cancers combined and is unfortunately expected to double by 2020...
- Liver cancer risk and prevention among persons living with HIV/AIDSLESLEY SUEJEAN PARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..The aging of this population, impaired immune function, and high prevalence of liver cancer risk factors hepatitis C virus, hepatitis B virus, an alcohol abuse and dependency contribute to ..
- Integrated PTSD and Smoking TreatmentMark B Powers; Fiscal Year: 2013..PTSD is associated with increased smoking and failed cessation attempts.2-7 The prevalence of smoking in persons with PTSD is 44.6 %, compared to 22.5% in persons with no psychiatric disorder...
- The Role of Syntrophic Bacteria in Methanogenic Metabolism in the Human GutCatherine Lozupone; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. have a higher influence on community composition and function than their prevalence would suggest) and 3) they closely associate with specific syntrophic bacteria in other environments such as ..
- Antiviral prophylaxis to prevent perinatal transmission of HBV in ThailandGONZAGUE JOSEPH JOURDAIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..About 7% of Thai adults are HBsAg carriers. Universal immunization programs have dramatically reduced the prevalence of infection wherever they have been implemented...
- Impact of Cardiovascular and Weight Loss diets on Uric Acid and Gout RiskHyon K Choi; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the continued "western" lifestyle in the US, the prevalence and incidence of gout have increased over the last few decades and it is estimated that 3.9% of US adults (8...
- Delivery of Polyphenols in Gum for Treatment of GingivitisCraig S Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..S., with an even higher prevalence in the underserved and developing and undeveloped countries...
- Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study - CCJames Shikany; Fiscal Year: 2012..possible racial differences in CVD pathogenesis, we will compare the factors associated with CAC incidence and prevalence, and with IMT prevalence, across risk-gender groups...
- A Cohort Study of Preterm Delivery in Relation to Partner Abuse, Mood and AnxietyMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will study the relation of maternal history of childhood sexual abuse, lifetime- and pregnancy-IPV with the prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders (e.g...
- Diet, Insulin, Dopamine, and Reward.Margaret E Rice; Fiscal Year: 2013..The increasing prevalence of insulin resistance and obesity and the high comorbidity of disordered eating and substance abuse indicate ..
- Obesity, Biomechanics, and Inflammation in OsteoarthritisFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2013..As the prevalence of obesity has risen dramatically in the past two decades, we now know that obesity is likely to be the primary ..
- Immune-based detection of rifampicin-resistance in HIV/TBGregory P Bisson; Fiscal Year: 2013..INH) and rifampicin, has become a public health emergency in some parts of sub-Saharan Africa, where the HIV prevalence and TB incidence rates are the highest in the world...
- Recombinant Polymers for Transarterial Chemoembolization of Liver CancerAZADEH POURSAID; Fiscal Year: 2013..carcinoma (HCC) of the liver is diagnosed in over 500,000 people annually and trends indicate increasing prevalence. Current improvements in diagnosis and treatment, however, have not produced an increase in survival rates...