medical record linkage
Summary: The creation and maintenance of medical and vital records in multiple institutions in a manner that will facilitate the combined use of the records of identified individuals.
Publications243 found, 100 shown here
- Health data linkage conserves privacy in a research-rich environmentBrooke Trutwein
Ann Epidemiol 16:279-80. 2006
- Mother's consent to linkage of survey data with her child's birth records in a multi-ethnic national cohort studyA Rosemary Tate
Centre for Paediatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 35:294-8. 2006....
- Increased mortality in rural vehicular trauma: identifying contributing factors through data linkageRichard P Gonzalez
Department of Surgery, Center for the Study of Rural Vehicular Trauma, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36617 2293, USA
J Trauma 61:404-9. 2006..The purpose of this study is to identify prehospital causes of the higher rural fatality rates by linking, analyzing, and comparing prehospital data for rural and urban vehicular crashes...
- Research use of linked health data--a best practice protocolC W Kelman
Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, ACT
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:251-5. 2002..This approach is designed to promote confidence in the community and among data custodians that there are benefits of linked health information being used and that individual privacy is being rigorously protected...
- A national record linkage to study acute myocardial infarction incidence and case fatality in SwedenN Hammar
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Epidemiol 30:S30-4. 2001..The aim of this paper was to describe the methods used to identify cases in a recently developed National Acute Myocardial Infarction Register in Sweden, and to present estimates of incidence and case fatality in Sweden...
- A high positive predictive value algorithm using hospital administrative data identified incident cancer casesIleana Baldi
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Turin and C P O Piemonte, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Via Santena 7, 10126 Turin, Italy
J Clin Epidemiol 61:373-9. 2008..We have developed and validated an algorithm based on Piedmont hospital discharge abstracts for ascertainment of incident cases of breast, colorectal, and lung cancer...
- Data linkage infrastructure for cross-jurisdictional health-related research in AustraliaJames H Boyd
Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:480. 2012..This paper describes the development of the processes and methodology required to create cross-jurisdictional research infrastructure and enable aggregation of State and Territory linkages into a single linkage "map"...
- An empirical comparison of record linkage proceduresShanti Gomatam
University of South Florida, 4202 East Fowler Avenue, PHY 114, Tampa, FL 33620, USA
Stat Med 21:1485-96. 2002..Match rates and error rates for the two strategies are compared and a discussion of their similarities and differences, strengths and weaknesses is presented...
- The validity of the diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction in routine statistics: a comparison of mortality and hospital discharge data with the Danish MONICA registryMette Madsen
National Institute of Public Health, Svanemøllevej 25, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Epidemiol 56:124-30. 2003..The combination of the national registries was found to be a valid and powerful tool for monitoring the population incidence of MI...
- Semantic similarity-based alignment between clinical archetypes and SNOMED CT: an application to observationsMaría Meizoso García
Department of Electronics and Computer Science, Campus Vida, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Int J Med Inform 81:566-78. 2012..Therefore, the purpose of this study is to provide an automated approach to bind OpenEHR archetypes terms to the external terminology SNOMED CT, with the capability to do it at a semantic level...
- Causes of death after diagnosis of hepatitis B or hepatitis C infection: a large community-based linkage studyJanaki Amin
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, NSW 2010, Australia
Lancet 368:938-45. 2006..Hepatitis B and hepatitis C virus infections are common causes of death related to liver disease. In this large study, we aimed to investigate all cause mortality of the viruses in a community-based setting...
- Physician attitudes toward health information exchange: results of a statewide surveyAdam Wright
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:66-70. 2010..To assess physicians' attitudes toward health information exchange (HIE) and physicians' willingness to pay to participate in HIE...
- Using linkage between hospital and ABS mortality data to enhance reporting of deaths among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoplesSarah E Neville
Centre for Epidemiology and Research, NSW Department of Health, North Sydney, NSW
Aust N Z J Public Health 35:543-8. 2011....
- Investigating concordance in diabetes diagnosis between primary care charts (electronic medical records) and health administrative data: a retrospective cohort studyStewart B Harris
Centre for Studies in Family Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 10:347. 2010..The purpose of this study was to establish a validated electronic medical record definition for diabetes...
- Measuring the gap: accuracy of the Western Australian hospital morbidity data in the identification of adult urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoplePamela J Bradshaw
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:276-9. 2009..To assess the sensitivity of the recording of Aboriginality in the Western Australia Linked Data...
- Characteristics associated with regional health information organization viabilityJulia Adler-Milstein
PhD Program in Health Policy, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:61-5. 2010..Yet we know little about why some efforts succeed while others fail. We sought to identify factors associated with RHIO viability...
- Improvement of maternal Aboriginality in NSW birth dataFenglian Xu
PRERU, University of New South Wales, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:8. 2012..The Indigenous population of Australia was estimated as 2.5% and under-reported. The aim of this study is to improve statistical ascertainment of Aboriginal women giving birth in New South Wales...
- A proposed architecture and method of operation for improving the protection of privacy and confidentiality in disease registersTim Churches
Centre for Epidemiology and Research, New South Wales Department of Health, Locked Mail Bag 961, North Sydney NSW 2059, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 3:1. 2003..However, growing concern over the privacy and confidentiality aspects of disease registers may hinder their future operation. Technical solutions to these legitimate concerns are needed...
- Probabilistic record linkage and a method to calculate the positive predictive valueTony Blakely
Department of Public Health, Wellington School of Medicine, University of Otago, PO Box 7343, Wellington, New Zealand
Int J Epidemiol 31:1246-52. 2002....
- Factors motivating and affecting health information exchange usageJoshua R Vest
Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Rural Public Health, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College Station, Texas, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:143-9. 2011..However, where implemented, reports indicate HIE system usage is low. The aim of this study was to determine the factors associated with different types of HIE usage...
- Results from simulated data sets: probabilistic record linkage outperforms deterministic record linkageMiranda Tromp
Department of Medical Informatics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 64:565-72. 2011..To gain insight into the performance of deterministic record linkage (DRL) vs. probabilistic record linkage (PRL) strategies under different conditions by varying the frequency of registration errors and the amount of discriminating power...
- Data model considerations for clinical effectiveness researchersMichael G Kahn
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Epidemiology, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
Med Care 50:S60-7. 2012..Addressing compromises between complexity and usability is critical to modeling decisions...
- Differential record linkage by Hispanic ethnicity and age in linked mortality studies: implications for the epidemiologic paradoxJoseph T Lariscy
University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
J Aging Health 23:1263-84. 2011..This study examines how the linkage of surveys to death records differs for Hispanics and non-Hispanic Whites and how such differences affect estimates of ethnic differences in U.S. adult mortality...
- Place, time and certified cause of death in people who die after hospital admission for myocardial infarction or strokeMichael J Goldacre
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, OX3 7LF, UK
Eur J Public Health 14:338-42. 2004....
- Practical introduction to record linkage for injury researchD E Clark
Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Maine Medical Center and the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Harvard School of Public Health, USA
Inj Prev 10:186-91. 2004..Whatever techniques are used, researchers must realize that the combination of data sources entails additional ethical obligations beyond the use of each source alone...
- Record linkage of health care insurance claimsT W Victor
Healthcare Informatics, SmithKline Beecham, Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426 2990, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 8:281-8. 2001..This paper provides a detailed description of a method developed for purposes of linking records of individual patients, represented in diverse data sets, across time and geography...
- Cohort Profile: the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children: ALSPAC mothers cohortAbigail Fraser
MRC Centre for Causal Analyses in Translational Epidemiology, University of Bristol, UK
Int J Epidemiol 42:97-110. 2013..Details of how to access these data are provided in this cohort profile...
- Development and validation of reporting guidelines for studies involving data linkageMegan A Bohensky
Centre for Research Excellence in Patient Safety, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, 99 Commercial Road, Prahran, Victoria 3181
Aust N Z J Public Health 35:486-9. 2011..The aim of this study was to develop and test reporting guidelines for evaluating the methodological quality of studies using linked data...
- Pharmacovigilance in pregnancy using population-based linked datasetsLyn Colvin
Centre for Child Health Research, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Australia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:211-25. 2009....
- Nationwide register-based surveillance system on drugs and pregnancy in Finland 1996-2006Miia Artama
National Institute for Health and Welfare, THL, Helsinki, Finland
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 20:729-38. 2011....
- Linking a pharmaceutical claims database with a birth defects registry to investigate birth defect rates of suspected teratogensLyn Colvin
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, West Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:1137-50. 2010..Records of prescriptions of known or suspected teratogens dispensed to pregnant women have been linked to a birth defects registry to determine if defects associated with medicine exposure can be detected...
- Emergency physicians' perceptions of health information exchangeJason S Shapiro
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, 622 West 168th Street, VC5, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:700-5. 2007..Health information exchange (HIE) is a potentially powerful technology that can improve the quality of care delivered in emergency departments, but little is known about emergency physicians' current perceptions of HIE...
- Improved methods for estimating incidence from linked hospital morbidity dataKate J Brameld
Department of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 32:617-24. 2003..To address this problem, we have developed the backcasting method...
- Maternal mortality in Italy: a record-linkage studyS Donati
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance, and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanità Italian National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
BJOG 118:872-9. 2011....
- Evaluating common de-identification heuristics for personal health informationKhaled El Emam
CHEO Research Institute, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1, Canada
J Med Internet Res 8:e28. 2006..De-identification heuristics are provided in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule, funding agency and professional association privacy guidelines, and common practice...
- Public good through data linkage: measuring research outputs from the Western Australian Data Linkage SystemEmma L Brook
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:19-23. 2008..To measure the 'public good' by retrieving, collating, reviewing and assessing outputs from projects using information supplied from the Western Australian Data Linkage System (WADLS) during 1995-2003...
- A decade of data linkage in Western Australia: strategic design, applications and benefits of the WA data linkage systemC D Arcy J Holman
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Aust Health Rev 32:766-77. 2008..Staged development has seen its expansion, initially from a linkage key to local health data sets, to encompass links to national and local health and welfare data sets, genealogical links and spatial references for mapping applications...
- Using hospital discharge files to enhance cancer surveillanceLynne Penberthy
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 158:27-34. 2003..Using HDFs to supplement a central cancer registry may be a valuable and efficient method for improving registry completeness of reporting...
- A randomized, controlled trial of clinical information shared from another institutionJ Marc Overhage
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Ann Emerg Med 39:14-23. 2002..We demonstrate the feasibility and potential value of increased access to patients' clinical information from another hospital while they are receiving care in the emergency department...
- Using linked routinely collected health data to describe prostate cancer treatment in New South Wales, Australia: a validation studyDavid E Goldsbury
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, PO Box 572, Kings Cross, NSW 1340, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 11:253. 2011..Our aim was to determine the accuracy of linked routinely collected administrative data for monitoring prostate cancer care in New South Wales (NSW), Australia...
- Cause of death in individuals with chronic HBV and/or HCV infection, a nationwide community-based register studyAnn Sofi Duberg
Department of Infectious Diseases, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
J Viral Hepat 15:538-50. 2008..In people with HCV infection the highest excess mortality in younger ages was from drug-related and external reasons...
- A survey of health information exchange organizations in the United States: implications for meaningful useJulia Adler-Milstein
Harvard Business School, Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:666-71. 2011..For most providers, joining regional organizations that support HIE is the most viable approach currently available...
- Medical record linkage in Australia: this is as good as it getsGraham G Giles
Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:259. 2005
- Is hospital discharge administrative data an appropriate source of information for cancer registries purposes? Some insights from four Spanish registriesEnrique E Bernal-Delgado
Health Services Research Unit, Institute for Health Sciences in Aragon, Zaragoza, Spain
BMC Health Serv Res 10:9. 2010..The frequency of false positive and false negative cases recommends local validation...
- A population-based record linkage study of mortality in hepatitis C-diagnosed persons with or without HIV coinfection in ScotlandScott A McDonald
Health Protection Scotland, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Stat Methods Med Res 18:271-83. 2009....
- Attendance rates and outcomes of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria, 1998Vijaya Sundararajan
Department of Human Services, L18 120 Spencer St, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia
Med J Aust 180:268-71. 2004..To describe the patterns of use of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria and to assess whether the survival benefits predicted in clinical trials have been realised in the community...
- Overview of the SEER--Medicare Health Outcomes Survey linked datasetAnita Ambs
National Cancer Institute NCI, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
Health Care Financ Rev 29:5-21. 2008..This article provides a description of the SEER-MHOS data as a tool to study cancer among Medicare enrollees. In order to highlight the strengths of the database, we also present some descriptive statistics from the database...
- An EHR prototype using structured ISO/EN 13606 documents to respond to identified clinical information needs of diabetes specialists: a controlled study on feasibility and impactGudrun Huebner-Bloder
Institute of Health Informatics, UMIT University for Health Science, Medical Informatics and Technology, Hall in Tirol, Austria
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2012:380-9. 2012..The participants also appreciated the extended query options...
- How good is probabilistic record linkage to reconstruct reproductive histories? Results from the Aberdeen Children of the 1950s studyDorothea Nitsch
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:15. 2006..Our aim was to validate its use to identify births to a cohort of women, being drawn from a large cohort of people born in Scotland in the early 1950s...
- Anonymous linkage of New Zealand mortality and Census dataT Blakely
Department of Public Health, Wellington School of Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Public Health 24:92-5. 2000..The New Zealand Census-Mortality Study (NZCMS) aims to investigate socio-economic mortality gradients in New Zealand, by anonymously linking Census and mortality records...
- Standardized EHR interoperability - preliminary results of a German pilot project using the archetype methodologyHasan Veseli
Institute of Biological and Medical Imaging, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 180:646-50. 2012..Furthermore, the server provides rich visualization capabilities (e.g. language-switch, custom charts etc.) which are useful for those EHR systems that don't provide these features...
- Record linked retrospective cohort study of 4.6 million people exploring ethnic variations in disease: myocardial infarction in South AsiansC M Fischbacher
Information Services Division, NHS National Services Scotland, Gyle Square, 1 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, UK
BMC Public Health 7:142. 2007..However, suitable and accurate data are usually not available. We demonstrated, using acute myocardial infarction, that linkage techniques can be ethical and potentially useful for this purpose...
- Under-ascertainment of Aboriginality in records of cardiovascular disease in hospital morbidity and mortality data in Western Australia: a record linkage studyTom G Briffa
University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 10:111. 2010..We estimated the under-ascertainment of Aboriginal status in linked morbidity and mortality databases in patients hospitalised with cardiovascular disease...
- Ignoring dependency between linking variables and its impact on the outcome of probabilistic record linkage studiesMiranda Tromp
Department of Medical Informatics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:654-60. 2008..The impact on the number of misclassifications depends on the quality and number of linking variables relative to the number of correlated linking variables...
- Probabilistic record linkage is a valid and transparent tool to combine databases without a patient identification numberNora Méray
Academic Medical Centrum AMC, Department of Medical Informatics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 60:883-91. 2007..These registries do not share a unique identification number...
- Creating ISO/EN 13606 archetypes based on clinical information needsChristoph Rinner
Medical University Vienna, Austria
Stud Health Technol Inform 165:43-8. 2011..It includes automated generation of electronic case report forms from archetypes. We evaluated our approach by developing 128 archetypes which represent 446 clinical information items from the diabetes domain...
- Development of an EHR system for sharing - a semantic perspectiveHaifeng Liu
Information and Knowledge Department, IBM China Research Lab, Beijing 100193, PR China
Stud Health Technol Inform 150:113-7. 2009..Pilot users of the system deemed it clinically useful, which encourages us to develop more capabilities based on EHR in future, like cross-institution sharing and integration with a clinical decision support system...
- Bicycle accidents - do we only see the tip of the iceberg? A prospective multi-centre study in a large German city combining medical and police dataC Juhra
University Hospital Munster, Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Waldeyerstr 1, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Injury 43:2026-34. 2012..8%) than cars (36.4%). Each day in Münster, bicycles are used around 450,000 times. In 1982, they were only used around 270,000 times a day. However, the increased use of bicycles has also led to an increased number of bicycle accidents...
- Use of record linkage to examine alcohol use in pregnancyLucy Burns
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:642-8. 2006..This information is critical to planning and implementing appropriate services...
- Improving the evidence base for promoting quality and equity of surgical care using population-based linkage of administrative health recordsSonja E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Int J Qual Health Care 17:415-20. 2005..Health researchers, clinicians, and policy-makers will find the discussion of these issues useful in their everyday practice...
- Physicians' potential use and preferences related to health information exchangeVaishali Patel
Department of Pediatrics, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
Int J Med Inform 80:171-80. 2011....
- Health information exchange in small-to-medium sized family medicine practices: motivators, barriers, and potential facilitators of adoptionStephen E Ross
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
Int J Med Inform 79:123-9. 2010..For small-to-medium sized primary care practices (those with 20 or fewer clinicians), determine desired functions of health information exchange (HIE) and potential motivators, barriers, and facilitators of adoption...
- Finding incident breast cancer cases through US claims data and a state cancer registryP S Wang
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Causes Control 12:257-65. 2001..However, it is crucial to evaluate how completely incident cancer cases can be ascertained using these data sources...
- Preparation of name and address data for record linkage using hidden Markov modelsTim Churches
Centre for Epidemiology and Research, Public Health Division, New South Wales Department of Health, Locked Mail Bag 961, North Sydney 2059, Australia
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2:9. 2002..This paper describes an alternative approach to standardisation, using a combination of lexicon-based tokenisation and probabilistic hidden Markov models (HMMs)...
- Health information exchange: participation by Minnesota primary care practicesPatricia Fontaine
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Medical School, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:622-9. 2010..To achieve these goals, small primary care practices must participate. Factors that motivate or prevent them from doing so are examined...
- Reducing medication errors and improving systems reliability using an electronic medication reconciliation systemAbha Agrawal
Central Brooklyn Family Health Network, New York, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 35:106-14. 2009..However, there is scant literature on the evaluation of electronic MedRecon systems in reducing medication errors and on improving reliability of the MedRecon process...
- Health information exchange in Memphis: impact on the physician-patient relationshipMark E Frisse
Vanderbilt University, TN, USA
J Law Med Ethics 38:50-7. 2010..Personal health records, consolidated EHR systems, and other alternative models promise to have similar impacts on the way in which providers and patients interact with one another...
- [Linkage of secondary data with cancer registry data on the basis of encrypted personal identifiers - results from a pilot study in North Rhine-Westphalia]H Kajüter
Epidemiologisches Krebsregister Nordrhein Westfalen gGmbH, Munster
Gesundheitswesen 74:e84-9. 2012....
- Some methods for blindfolded record linkageTim Churches
Centre for Epidemiology and Research, Population Health Division, New South Wales Department of Health, Locked Mail Bag 961, North Sydney NSW 2059, Australia
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 4:9. 2004..A limitation of their method is that only exact comparisons of values are possible, although phonetic encoding of names and other strings can be used to allow for some types of typographical variation and data errors...
- Record-linkage methodology for prescribing researchG Libby
Medicines Monitoring Unit (MEMO, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 26:241-6. 2001..We draw upon the work of the Medicines Monitoring Unit (MEMO), University of Dundee, to illustrate its contribution to prescribing research...
- Pseudonyms for cancer registriesK Pommerening
Institut für Medizinische Statistik und Dokumentation, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
Methods Inf Med 35:112-21. 1996..The methods described are not restricted to cancer registration and may serve as a model for comparable applications in medical informatics...
- The Taiwanese method for providing patients data from multiple hospital EHR systemsWen Shan Jian
School of Health Care Administration, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Biomed Inform 44:326-32. 2011..Based on our experiences in designing and implementing the system we propose a three step method for accomplishing Information Collection from EHR systems at medical institutions for similar PHR systems in the future...
- Use of a regional health information exchange to detect crossover of patients with MRSA between urban hospitalsAbel N Kho
Northwestern University, Division of General Internal Medicine, Affiliated Scientist, Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:212-6. 2008..A significant portion of patients already known to be colonized or infected with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) may not be identified at admission by neighboring hospitals...
- The role of linked birth and infant death certificates in maternal and child health epidemiology in the United StatesJ W Buehler
Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Unit, Division of Public Health, Georgia Department of Human Resources, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Prev Med 19:3-11. 2000....
- Medical record linkage in health information systems by approximate string matching and clusteringErik A Sauleau
Service des Etudes et Applications de l Information Médicale SEAIM, Hospital, 87 Ave d Altkirch, F68051 Mulhouse, France
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:32. 2005..Furthermore, we need to assist human decision making, by computing a value reflecting identity proximity...
- Hospital-related morbidity in people notified with hepatitis C: a population-based record linkage study in New South Wales, AustraliaHeather F Gidding
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Hepatol 53:43-9. 2010..We examined condition specific (principal diagnosis) and overall hospitalization rates for the cohort of individuals notified with hepatitis C in New South Wales (NSW), Australia...
- A record-linkage study of the development of hepatocellular carcinoma in persons with hepatitis C infection in ScotlandS A McDonald
Health Protection Scotland, Clifton House, Clifton Place, Glasgow G3 7LN, UK
Br J Cancer 99:805-10. 2008..Owing to the advancing age of the Scottish HCV-diagnosed population, the annual number of HCC cases is projected to increase, with a consequent increasing burden on the public healthcare system...
- Health information exchange usage in emergency departments and clinics: the who, what, and whyKevin B Johnson
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:690-7. 2011..Understanding approaches taken by existing successful exchanges can help new exchange efforts determine goals and plan implementations. The goal of this study was to explore characteristics of use and users of a successful regional HIE...
- Accuracy of death certification and hospital record linkage for identification of incident strokeShubhada Sinha
West Suffolk Hospital, Hardwick Lane, Bury St Edmunds, IP33 2QZ, Suffolk, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 8:74. 2008..We examined the accuracy of these routine record linkage approaches for identifying incident stroke cases in a large UK population-based study, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer (EPIC)-Norfolk cohort...
- Data linkage reduces loss to follow-up in an observational HIV cohort studyTeresa Hill
Research Department of Infection and Population Health, UCL Medical School, London, UK
J Clin Epidemiol 63:1101-9. 2010..To ascertain the degree of loss to follow-up in a cohort and to identify its predictors...
- Cancer incidence in people with hepatitis B or C infection: a large community-based linkage studyJanaki Amin
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Sydney, Australia
J Hepatol 45:197-203. 2006..The aim was to quantify the risk of cancers among persons diagnosed with HBV/HCV infections...
- Information on radiation treatment in patients with breast cancer: the advantages of the linked medicare and SEER data. Surveillance, Epidemiology and End ResultsX Du
Department of Internal Medicine and Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0860, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 52:463-70. 1999..The previously reported geographic variations in the use of radiotherapy for breast cancer may be due in part to underreporting of radiotherapy in some areas...
- Method to assess identifiability in electronic data filesHolly L Howe
North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, Inc, Springfield, IL 62704 6495, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:597-601. 2007..RU is a useful data tool that can quantify the risk of confidentiality breach of electronic health databases, including reidentifiability of cases through triangulation of information or linkage with other electronic databases...
- Validity of coronary heart diseases and heart failure based on hospital discharge and mortality data in the Netherlands using the cardiovascular registry Maastricht cohort studyAudrey H H Merry
Department of Epidemiology, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 24:237-47. 2009..Incidence rates based on hospital discharge and mortality data may underestimate the true incidence rates, especially for unstable angina pectoris and heart failure...
- Health services research using linked records: who consents and what is the gain?A F Young
Research Centre for Gender and Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 25:417-20. 2001..To assess consent to record linkage, describe the characteristics of consenters and compare self-report versus Medicare records of general practitioner use...
- User perspectives on the usability of a regional health information exchangeCynthia S Gadd
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:711-6. 2011..This grant-funded HIE had been deployed rapidly to address the imminent needs of the patient population and the need to draw wider participation from regional entities...
- The epidemiology of hospitalized postpartum depression in New York State, 1995-2004David A Savitz
Departments of Community Health and Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Ann Epidemiol 21:399-406. 2011..The purpose of this study is to describe the patterns of hospitalization for depression in the year after delivery in relation to social, demographic, and behavioral characteristics...
- HL7 Clinical Document Architecture, Release 2Robert H Dolin
Kaiser Permanente, Pasadena, CA, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:30-9. 2006..The intent is to facilitate widespread adoption, while providing a mechanism for incremental semantic interoperability...
- A Framework for evaluating the costs, effort, and value of nationwide health information exchangeBrian E Dixon
Regenstrief Institute, Inc and Indiana University School of Informatics, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:295-301. 2010..The paper further presents the results of an initial assessment of the framework by those engaged in HIE activities...
- Missing cyclistsJ D Langley
Injury Prevention Research Unit, Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Inj Prev 9:376-9. 2003..3) To determine the degree to which under-reporting of serious crashes involving cyclists and motor vehicles on public roads is associated with various demographic, environmental, and injury factors...
- Use of large medical databases to study associations between diseasesM Goldacre
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
QJM 93:669-75. 2000..We suggest that, through the use of datasets like the ORLS, it will be possible to 'map' comprehensively the phenomic expression of co-occurring diseases...
- [Accuracy of the probabilistic record linkage methodology to ascertain deaths in survival studies]Evandro Silva Freire Coutinho
Escola Nacional de Saude Publica Sergio Arouca, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 22:2249-52. 2006..5%, specificity of 99.4%, positive predictive value of 98.1%, and negative predictive value of 94.9%. In conclusion, probabilistic record linkage appears to be a useful tool for identifying deaths in cohort studies conducted in Brazil...
- Framework for clinical data standardization based on archetypesJose A Maldonado
Biomedical Informatics Group, ITACA Institute, Technical University of Valencia, Spain
Stud Health Technol Inform 129:454-8. 2007....
- Event-based record linkage in health and aged care services data: a methodological innovationRosemary Karmel
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 26 Thynne Street, Fern Hill Park, Canberra, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 7:154. 2007..As neither name nor common person identifiers are available on the data sets, other information needs to be used to link events relating to inter-sector movement...
- Using birth defects registry data to evaluate infant and childhood mortality associated with birth defects: an alternative to traditional mortality assessment using underlying cause of death statisticsGlenn E Copeland
Michigan Birth Defects Registry, Michigan Department of Community Health, Lansing, Michigan 48913, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79:792-7. 2007....
- Record linkage software in the public domain: a comparison of Link Plus, The Link King, and a 'basic' deterministic algorithmKevin M Campbell
Washington State Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, PO Box 45330, Olympia, Washington 98504 5330, USA
Health Informatics J 14:5-15. 2008..Link Plus is a good choice for non-SAS users as long as necessary programming resources are available for processing record pairs identified by Link Plus...
- Methods for dealing with discrepant records in linked population health datasets: a cross-sectional studyChristine L Roberts
The Kolling Institute of Medical Research, St Leonards 2065, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 7:12. 2007..However, this raises the possibility of discrepant case reports from different datasets...
- Towards semantic interoperability for electronic health recordsSebastian Garde
Central Queensland University, Health Informatics Research Group, Faculty of Business and Informatics, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Methods Inf Med 46:332-43. 2007..It is the objective of this paper to shortly describe this approach, and to analyse how openEHR archetypes impact on health professionals and semantic interoperability...
- External validity in a population-based national prospective study--the Norwegian Women and Cancer Study (NOWAC)Eiliv Lund
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Cancer Causes Control 14:1001-8. 2003..The aim of this paper was to study the external validity of the cohort as a necessary premise for the estimation of population attributable risk...
- Assessing record linkage between health care and Vital Statistics databases using deterministic methodsBing Li
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 6:48. 2006..We assessed the linkage and correct linkage rate using deterministic record linkage among three commonly used Canadian databases, namely, the population registry, hospital discharge data and Vital Statistics registry...
- Concept-match medical data scrubbing. How pathology text can be used in researchJules J Berman
Pathology Informatics, Cancer Diagnosis Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:680-6. 2003..This article addresses the problem of data scrubbing...
- CONSEQUENCES OF GROUP B STREPTOCOCCAL PROPHYLAXISAnushua Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2004..She currently holds an individual NRSA from NIAID to develop and use automated medical record linkage systems to assess the epidemiology of infections during the first 30 days of life. Dr...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ASTHMAJohn Yunginger; Fiscal Year: 1991..The availability of the computerized diagnostic index and medical record linkage system should permit identification of greater than 95% of asthmatics in the community...
- ROCHESTER EPIDEMIOLOGY PROJECTWalter Rocca; Fiscal Year: 2009..application requests continuation of core support for the Rochester Epidemiology Project (REP), the medical record linkage system for health care providers to residents of Olmsted County, Minnesota...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY AND GENETICS OF PARKINSON'S DISEASEWalter Rocca; Fiscal Year: 2005..These three studies will contribute greatly to understanding the causes and possible prevention of PD by exploring novel hypotheses and by using innovative methods. ..
- Cancer-Related Disparities in the Elderly PopulationSiran Koroukian; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Coverage, Organization of Care, and Colorectal ScreeningEric Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results of this study can guide the enactment of health policies that will increase rates of colorectal cancer screening and thereby reduce the incidence of colorectal cancer and its associated morbidity and mortality. ..
- Indiana Program of Excellence in Biomedical ComputingClement McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Center for Healthy Native CommunitiesThomas Becker; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Validation of Medicare Claims to Define Chemotherapy UseDeborah Schrag; Fiscal Year: 2005..This knowledge has the potential to lay the groundwork for development of an inexpensive and efficient system for monitoring and improving the quality of US cancer care. ..
- Local Therapy of Breast Cancer in Community PopulationsNancy Keating; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, the work will provide insight into different techniques for the analysis of observational data. ..
- Quality of Follow-up Care for Breast Cancer SurvivorsANN NATTINGER; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. age, gender, specialty) and of patient characteristics (e.g. race, socioeconomic status, initial therapy). The results will yield important public policy information regarding breast cancer surveillance care. ..
- Multi-Method Proactive Risk AssessmentWilson Pace; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Change Detection in Serial MRIs of Patients with Brain GliomasBradley Erickson; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is our hope that in the future, a measurement method superior to or as an adjunct to human observation will become available, though this study will not attempt to go that far. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EVOLUTION OF PSYCHOPATHOLOGY IN THE POPULATIONWilliam Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposal includes plans to make anonymous data available for public use. ..
- PACEi-DP: An Intervention for Youth at Risk for DiabetesKevin Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Frontotemporal degeneration: a basis for clinical trialsDavid Knopman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- UNDERSTANDING RACIAL DIFFERENCES--LUNG CANCER TREATMENTPeter Bach; Fiscal Year: 2003..Once identified, differences in the evaluative process undergone by black and white patients will be assessed, and the association between provider and patient race on receipt of surgery will be tested. ..
- Fractures, Heart Disease, and Stroke on Aromatase InhibitorsNancy L Keating; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A NEW FUNCTIONAL EVALUATION TOOL FOR CANCER CAREPeter Bach; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) Instrument assembly through analysis of results of reliability and validity testing, followed by dissemination of results. ..
- Psychosis and Autoimmune Diseases in DenmarkWilliam W Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Technology to Automatically Detect Early Signs of Illness in Senior HousingMarilyn J Rantz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Subjects will not use any expensive telehealth equipment or wear any devices. We propose to use this information to detect changes in health status which could indicate an impending acute illness or exacerbation of chronic illness. ..
- Biosurveillance Utilizing SNOMED-CT Based Natural Language ProcessingPeter Elkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The fruits of this research will assist our national initiatives to pave the way toward a safe and effective BioSecure biosurveillance solution. ..
- POINT OF CARE DELIVERY OF RESEARCH EVIDENCEE Balas; Fiscal Year: 2002..This decision support system will be evaluated in a randomized controlled trial that assesses the impact of the system on adherence with care standards. ..
- META ANALYSIS OF CLINICAL INFORMATION SERVICE TRIALSE Balas; Fiscal Year: 2001..Sensitivity analysis will assess the potential modifying effect of unpublished studies on the validity of our conclusions. ..
- A Maternally Linked Data Set with Analytic AidsJack Leiss; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will develop advanced quantitative methods for maternally linked data, which will be included as analytic aids in the documentation for the file. ..
- In-Depth Examination of Disparities in Cancer OutcomesCathy Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- Modeling Adherence to Psychotherapy for DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed research is one component of an ongoing comprehensive program to understand and increase consumer demand for effective depression treatment. ..
- Shared Medical Records and Chronic Illness CareJames D Ralston; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results of this study will help inform the development, evaluation and dissemination of patient Web portals designed to support the care of patients with diabetes and multiple co-morbidities. ..
- Overweight in Children: A New View Using the Population Attributable FractionDeborah Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Roots of Health Disparities: The Quality of Primary CarePeter Bach; Fiscal Year: 2008..The significance of these findings would be that a singular approach to improving the quality of care provided by physicians should enhance care quality overall and reduce healthcare disparities. ..
- PACE-PC: Primary Care Management of Adolescent ObesityKevin Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Cancer Control: Capacity Building for Native ResearchersThomas Becker; Fiscal Year: 2008..This effort may ultimately serve to reduce cancer incidence and mortality among diverse, high-risk Native populations. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multilevel Intervention to Improve Nursing Home OutcomesMarilyn Rantz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Similarly, we will observe processes of care delivery before, during and after the multilevel intervention to describe the adoption of the care delivery strategies recommended in the intervention. ..
- Indiana PROSPECTJOSEPH MARCUS OVERHAGE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Medications, Genetic Variability & Breast CancerPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical & Web-based Diet & Activity Counseling for MenKevin Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- STATINS AND NON-CARDIAC ENDPOINTSBeatrice Golomb; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Characteristics and Costs of Impaired Fasting GlucoseGregory Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will calculate and compare the costs of medical care for patients in each FPG stage, and estimate multivariate models to identify factors that contribute to medical costs in each stage. ..
- Race, Ethnicity and Quality of Health Care for NewbornsLaurence Baker; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our work will focus on Black-White differences, disparities for Hispanics (including subgroups like Mexican and Puerto Rican), and disparities for Asian and Pacific Islanders. ..
- Patient-Guided Tools to Promote Colon Cancer ScreeningWilson Pace; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, this method of education and tracking is not specific to CRC and could provide opportunities for increasing screening rates for other types of cancer. ..
- MANAGED CARE AND HEALTH CARE MARKETSLaurence Baker; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A New Measure of Nursing Home Care QualityMarilyn Rantz; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Coenzyme Q10 in Aging: A Planning GrantBeatrice Golomb; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus there is strong conceptual as well as clinical rationale for assessing whether Q10 provides QOL & functional benefits in aging and whether it protects against untoward events associated with age. ..
- How Much and Why Does Class Size Matter?Ashlesha Datar; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Osteoporosis Prevention in Early Stage Breast CancerDawn Hershman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Myocardial Infarction in the PopulationVeronique Roger; Fiscal Year: 2006..To optimize the training potential of these series of studies and the learning experience of mentees a strong mentoring plan is outlined in details in this revised application. ..
- GENETIC TIES AND THE FUTURE OF THE FAMILYMark Rothstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..All lines of research would culminate in a major conference in the fall of 2002. The conference would be open to the public and structured to attract a diverse audience. ..
- Diet and Risk of Ovarian CancerEllen Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of the proposed analyses will provide further understanding of the etiology of ovarian cancer. ..
- A Randomized Trial of Home Self-Efficacy EnhancementAnthony Jerant; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings will help policymakers, payers, and providers identify which interventions to implement. ..
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- Neighborhood Disparities and Access to Cardiac CareJing Fang; Fiscal Year: 2003..This would be important for policy to eliminate the health disparity. ..
- Epidemiology of Marginal Zone LymphomaLisa Herrinton; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LABOR MARKET OUTCOMES OF LONG TERM CANCER SURVIVORSCathy Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- OUTCOMES OF OLDER WOMEN WITH EARLY STAGE BREAST CANCERANN NATTINGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will be critical to informing policy initiatives, including determination of how to best reduce socioeconomic disparities in breast cancer outcomes. ..
- Resource and QOL Consequences of Lung Cancer ScreeningMargaret Byrne; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluating Quality of Long Term CareDavid Zingmond; Fiscal Year: 2008..3. Examine the impact of process of care on maintaining independence and function, preventing over-utilization, and decreasing mortality among home care recipients. ..
- NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkMargaret Harper; Fiscal Year: 2006..Dr. O?Shea is submitting an application for participation of Wake Forest University in the NICHD Neonatal Network. ..
- Maintaining Physical Activity in Ethnic Minority WomenRebecca Lee; Fiscal Year: 2009..If supported, hypotheses will suggest that the sustained effect of SOCO strategies is moderated by environmental supports. ..
- Colon Cancer Risk: IGF Polymorphisms/Lifestyle FactorsPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2003..As an adjunct to an existing study, this is an efficient, valid cost-effective approach to the investigation of the association between polymorphisms and cancer risk. ..
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY AND LONG-TERM CLINICAL OUTCOMESMari Kitahata; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- PACE+--COUNSELING ADOLESCENTS FOR EXERCISE AND NUTRITIONKevin Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2003..The PACE+ intervention is particularly innovative in that 3 components--computer, provider counseling, and an extended home-based intervention--are unified through a common theoretical framework. ..
- Colon Cancer Pathways: Hyperplastic Polyps and AdenomasPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will have implications for understanding the biology and prevention of colorectal cancer. ..
- Hormones and Colon Cancer: Epigenetic Subtypes, Risk, and SurvivalPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2009....