Genomes and Genes
Summary: Evaluation and measurement of nutritional variables in order to assess the level of nutrition or the nutritional status of the individual. Nutrition surveys may be used in making the assessment.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications303 found, 100 shown here
- Comparative validation of the Block, Willett, and National Cancer Institute food frequency questionnaires : the Eating at America's Table StudyA F Subar
Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:1089-99. 2001..These data show that the DHQ and the Block FFQ are better at estimating absolute intakes than is the Willett FFQ but that, after energy adjustment, all three are more comparable for purposes of assessing diet-disease risk...
- ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002J Kondrup
Rigshospitalet University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Nutr 22:415-21. 2003..In order to reach this goal the Education and Clinical Practice Committee invites and welcomes all criticism and suggestions (button for mail to ECPC chairman)...
- Development, validation and utilisation of food-frequency questionnaires - a reviewJanet Cade
Nutrition Epidemiology Group, Division of Public Health, Nuffield Institute for Health, 71 75 Clarendon Road, University of Leeds, UK
Public Health Nutr 5:567-87. 2002..It does not include any recommendations about the most appropriate method for dietary assessment (e.g. food-frequency questionnaire versus weighed record)...
- Empirically derived eating patterns using factor or cluster analysis: a reviewP K Newby
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Nutr Rev 62:177-203. 2004..Although the research considered herein has created a meaningful body of literature, refining both the factor and cluster analysis methods will help to further establish eating patterns as a sound dietary assessment method...
- A critical review of predefined diet quality scoresPatricia M C M Waijers
Centre for Nutrition and Health, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 97:219-31. 2007..Although conclusions from the review may provide guidance in the construction of a diet quality score, it is questionable whether a dietary score can be obtained that is a much better predictor of health outcome...
- Validity of a new food frequency questionnaire for pregnant women in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)Anne Lise Brantsaeter
Division of Environmental Medicine, Department of Food Safety and Nutrition, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
Matern Child Nutr 4:28-43. 2008..This validation study indicates that the MoBa FFQ produces reasonable valid intake estimates and is a valid tool to rank pregnant women according to low and high intakes of energy, nutrients and foods...
- A regional food-frequency questionnaire for the US Mississippi DeltaKatherine L Tucker
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Public Health Nutr 8:87-96. 2005....
- Design and serendipity in establishing a large cohort with wide dietary intake distributions : the National Institutes of Health-American Association of Retired Persons Diet and Health StudyA Schatzkin
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7232, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:1119-25. 2001..The large size and wide intake range of the cohort will provide ample power for examining a number of important diet and cancer hypotheses...
- Markers of the validity of reported energy intakeM Barbara E Livingstone
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster at Coleraine, Northern Ireland, UK
J Nutr 133:895S-920S. 2003..This review also examines some of the problems for the interpretation of data introduced by underreporting and particularly by variable underreporting across subjects. Future directions for research are identified...
- Use of the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) as a nutrition assessment tool in patients with cancerJ Bauer
The Wesley Research Institute, Brisbane, Australia, and Centre for Public Health Research, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:779-85. 2002To evaluate the use of the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) as a nutrition assessment tool in patients with cancer.
- Misreporting of energy and micronutrient intake estimated by food records and 24 hour recalls, control and adjustment methods in practiceKamila Poslusna
Department of Food Safety and Nutrition, NIPH National Institute of Public Health in Prague, Palackeho 3a, Brno 61242, Czech Republic
Br J Nutr 101:S73-85. 2009..Residual method of energy adjustment seems to be a good tool for practice to decrease an influence of misreporting when interpreting results of studies based on food records and 24 hour recalls...
- Dietary intakes in North Carolina child-care centers: are children meeting current recommendations?Sarah C Ball
Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7426, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:718-21. 2008....
- Comparison of an Australian food-frequency questionnaire with diet records: implications for nutrition surveillanceG L Ambrosini
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Public Health Nutr 6:415-22. 2003..To compare a widely used Australian food-frequency questionnaire (FFQ) with diet records and consider the results in relation to its use in nutrition surveillance...
- The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) review of the literature--What does it tell us?Y Guigoz
Applied Science and Quality Assurance, Nestle Product Technology Centre, Nestle Strasse 3, 3510 Konolfingen, Switzerland
J Nutr Health Aging 10:466-85; discussion 485-7. 2006..To review the literature on the MNA to Spring 2006, we searched MEDLINE, Web of Science and Scopus, and did a manual search in J Nutr Health Aging, Clin Nutr, Eur J Clin Nutr and free online available publications...
- Dietary assessment methods for micronutrient intake: a systematic review on vitaminsPatricia Henríquez-Sánchez
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Br J Nutr 102:S10-37. 2009..26 to 0.38. The FFQ is an acceptable method of assessing vitamin intake. The present review provides new insights regarding the characteristics that assessment methods for dietary intake should fulfil...
- A malnutrition-inflammation score is correlated with morbidity and mortality in maintenance hemodialysis patientsK Kalantar-Zadeh
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Harbor UCLA Medical Center and the University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, CA 90509 2910, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 38:1251-63. 2001..The MIS may be superior to the conventional SGA and the DMS, as well as to individual laboratory values, as a predictor of dialysis outcome and an indicator of MICS...
- Urine nitrogen as a biomarker for the validation of dietary protein intakeSheila A Bingham
Medical Research Council, Cambridge, UK
J Nutr 133:921S-924S. 2003..Other markers of dietary intake and intermediate risk markers may also be measured in the 24-h urine that is obtained...
- Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional AssessmentYves Guigoz
Nestlé Product and Technology Centre, Nestle Strasse 3, CH 3510 Konolfingen, Switzerland
Clin Geriatr Med 18:737-57. 2002....
- Development of a reliable and construct valid measure of nutritional literacy in adultsJames J Diamond
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, 1015 Walnut Street, Suite 401, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Nutr J 6:5. 2007..This paper details the development and psychometric characteristics of the Nutritional Literacy Scale (NLS), offered as a measure of adults' ability to comprehend nutritional information...
- Evaluation of dietary assessment tools used to assess the diet of adults participating in the Communities Advancing the Studies of Tribal Nations Across the Lifespan cohortMarie K Fialkowski
Department of Health and Kinesiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:65-73. 2010..This is especially important in Native Americans who display disease prevalence rates that are dramatically higher than the general US population...
- Nutritional status and functional capacity of hospitalized elderlyMaria R M Oliveira
Institute of Biosciences, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Botucatu, Brazil
Nutr J 8:54. 2009..We asses the relationship between nutritional status and indicators of functional capacity among recently hospitalized elderly in a general hospital...
- Relative and biomarker-based validity of a food frequency questionnaire that measures the intakes of vitamin B(12), folate, iron, and zinc in young womenFlavia Fayet
Discipline of Nutrition and Metabolism, School of Molecular Bioscience, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Nutr Res 31:14-20. 2011..37, P < .01) and vitamin B(12) (r = 0.27, P < .01). The electronic FFQ developed in the present study is a relatively valid tool that was able to adequately assess and rank individuals according to their nutrient intakes...
- Diet quality of preschoolers in Greece based on the Healthy Eating Index: the GENESIS studyYannis Manios
Departmentof Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, 70 El Venizelou Ave, 17671 Kallithea, Athens, Greece
J Am Diet Assoc 109:616-23. 2009..The current study aimed to assess the diet quality of Greek preschoolers and the potential role of several sociodemographic factors related to it...
- Bioelectrical impedance phase angle in clinical practice: implications for prognosis in advanced colorectal cancerDigant Gupta
Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion, IL 60099, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 80:1634-8. 2004....
- Dietary patterns and prevention of type 2 diabetes: from research to clinical practice; a systematic reviewChristina Maria Kastorini
Department of Nutrition Science Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Curr Diabetes Rev 5:221-7. 2009..Consequently, emphasis should be given on encouraging at population and individual level for adopting a healthier lifestyle, including dietary habits, in order to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes...
- Systematic errors in middle-aged women's estimates of energy intake: comparing three self-report measures to total energy expenditure from doubly labeled waterJames R Hebert
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Nutrition Research Center, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Ann Epidemiol 12:577-86. 2002....
- Validity and reproducibility of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for use among Portuguese pregnant womenElisabete Pinto
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Porto Medical School, Alameda Prof Hernani Monteiro, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Matern Child Nutr 6:105-19. 2010..Our findings showed that a single administration of this FFQ in the immediate post-partum period is a valid tool to rank Portuguese pregnant women according to their intakes...
- Dietary diversity score is a useful indicator of micronutrient intake in non-breast-feeding Filipino childrenGina L Kennedy
Nutrition and Consumer Protection Division, Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy 00153
J Nutr 137:472-7. 2007..This study demonstrates the utility of indicators of dietary diversity to predict adequate intake of micronutrients in the diets of young non-breast-feeding children...
- The Mediterranean Adequacy Index: further confirming results of validityAdalberta Alberti
Department of Neurosciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:61-6. 2009..This report describes further evidence of MAI values for diets of population groups from different countries...
- Overview of the MNA--Its history and challengesB Vellas
INSERM U 558, Department of Geriatrics, Toulouse University Hospital, Toulouse, France
J Nutr Health Aging 10:456-63; discussion 463-5. 2006..A short screening version (MNA-SF) has been developed, which, if positive, indicates the need to complete the full MNA. It takes less than 4 minutes to administer the MNA-SF and between 10 and 15 minutes for the full MNA...
- Self-reported energy intake by FFQ compared with actual energy intake to maintain body weight in 516 adultsEls Siebelink
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 106:274-81. 2011..However, the large differences found on the individual level may affect the results of epidemiological studies in an unknown direction if nutrients are corrected for energy intakes reported by FFQ...
- Is there an association between edentulism and nutritional state?Brian Hutton
Faculty of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario
J Can Dent Assoc 68:182-7. 2002..The authors have recently shown that mandibular prostheses supported by only 2 implants may significantly improve nutritional status in edentulous patients...
- Diet quality is associated with higher nutrient intake and self-rated health in mid-aged womenClare E Collins
School of Health Sciences, The University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
J Am Coll Nutr 27:146-57. 2008..To develop a diet quality score reflecting adherence to national dietary recommendations for the Australian Longitudinal Study on Women's Health (ALSWH) and to compare this against energy standardized nutrient intakes and indices of health...
- Predicting the outcome of long-term care by clinical and functional indices: the role of nutritional statusL M Donini
Department of Medical Physiopathology Food Science Section Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
J Nutr Health Aging 15:586-92. 2011..Aim of the study is that of retrospectively verify, through a multivariate analysis, the factors able to condition mortality in long-term care, paying particular attention to the nutritional status...
- Reproducibility and validity of a Chinese food frequency questionnaire used in TaiwanMeei Shyuan Lee
School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center, 161 Sec 6, MinChuan East Road, Taipei 114, Taiwan, ROC
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:161-9. 2006..These data indicate that this FFQ for Chinese-speaking people in Taiwan is reproducible and provides a useful measure of intake for many nutrients over a six-month period...
- Determinants of nutritional status of older people in long-term care settings on the example of the nursing home in BiałystokZ B Wojszel
Department of Geriatrics, Medical University of Białystok, ul Fabryczna 27, 15 471 Białystok, Poland
Adv Med Sci 51:168-73. 2006..The aim of the study was the assessment of the nutritional status of older people living in the chosen long-term care setting in Poland as well as the determinants having an effect on the nutritional status of the examined subjects...
- Validation of food variety as an indicator of diet quality assessed with a food frequency questionnaire for Western MaliL E Torheim
Akershus University College, Ringstabekkveien, Bekkestua, Norway
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1283-91. 2003..To assess the validity of two diet quality indexes-food variety score (FVS) and diet diversity score (DDS) in Western Mali...
- Biomarkers of meat intake and the application of nutrigenomicsLars O Dragsted
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Copenhagen, 30 Rolighedsvej, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Meat Sci 84:301-7. 2010..Metabolomics by NMR spectroscopy of urine has also been applied to search for meat intake markers. Studies on single compounds or metabolomics markers are shortly reviewed here...
- Screening the nutritional status in oncology: a preliminary report on 1,000 outpatientsFederico Bozzetti
Department of Surgery, Hospital of Prato, Piazza dell Ospedale 5, 59100 Prato, Italy
Support Care Cancer 17:279-84. 2009....
- Dietary diversity score in adolescents - a good indicator of the nutritional adequacy of diets: Tehran lipid and glucose studyParvin Mirmiran
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, PO Box 19395 4763, Tehran I R Iran
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:56-60. 2004..There was a significant and positive correlation between DDS and most of the nutrient adequacy ratios (NARs). It is concluded that DDS is an appropriate method to evaluate nutrient intake adequacy in this group of adolescents...
- Evaluation of nutrition assessment tools compared with body cell mass for the assessment of malnutrition in chronic kidney diseaseKatrina L Campbell
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
J Ren Nutr 17:189-95. 2007..We compared the subjective global assessment (SGA) and a range of SGA-based assessment tools with body cell mass (BCM) in patients with stage IV and V predialysis chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Effects of food fortification on nutritional and functional status in frail elderly nursing home residents at risk of malnutritionChristine Smoliner
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Nutrition 24:1139-44. 2008..In this study we evaluated the effect of a 12-wk nutritional intervention with fortified food on nutritional and functional status in nursing home residents at risk of malnutrition...
- Adequate nutrient intakes are associated with traditional food consumption in nunavut inuit children aged 3-5 yearsLouise Johnson-Down
Centre for Indigenous Peoples Nutrition and Environment and School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, Macdonald Campus, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, H9X 3V9 Canada
J Nutr 140:1311-6. 2010..Interventions should encourage TF, including plant-based TF; healthy market food choices, including fruit and vegetables; and milk or alternative sources of vitamin D and calcium and discourage unhealthy market food choices...
- Is frequency of shared family meals related to the nutritional health of children and adolescents?Amber J Hammons
Family Resiliency Center, Human and Community Development, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, W Nevada St, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Pediatrics 127:e1565-74. 2011..The primary objective was to determine consistency and strength of effects across 17 studies that examined overweight and obese, food consumption and eating patterns, and disordered eating...
- A food frequency questionnaire for the assessment of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K: a pilot validation studyJanet M Pritchard
McMaster University, W Hamilton ON L8N 3Z5, Canada
Nutrients 2:805-19. 2010..This pilot study showed promising validation evidence for the use of this FFQ, which focuses on calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K intakes in postmenopausal women, as a screening tool in clinical and research settings...
- Perceived health and risk of undernutrition: a comparison of different nutritional screening results in older patientsUlrika Söderhamn
Department of Health and Nursing Sciences, Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Agder and Centre for Caring Research Southern Norway, Grimstad, Norway
J Clin Nurs 20:2162-71. 2011..To compare screening results using different nutritional screening instruments with respect to nutritional risk and associations with perceived health and health-related issues in a group of older hospital patients...
- Periodontitis and three health-enhancing behaviors: maintaining normal weight, engaging in recommended level of exercise, and consuming a high-quality dietMohammad S Al-Zahrani
Division of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
J Periodontol 76:1362-6. 2005..This study is aimed at examining whether the increased number of these behaviors is associated with a decrease in the prevalence of periodontitis in a United States population...
- Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of metabolic syndrome and its componentsN Babio
Human Nutrition Unit, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Rovira i Virgili University, Spain
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:563-70. 2009..The role of diet in the aetiology of metabolic syndrome (MetS) is not well understood. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the relationship between adherence to the Mediterranean diet (MedDiet) and MetS...
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005Patricia M Guenther
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture, 3101 Park Center Drive, Suite 1034, Alexandria, VA 22302, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1854-64. 2008..The Healthy Eating Index (HEI), a measure of diet quality as specified by federal dietary guidance, was revised to conform to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. The HEI has several components, the scores of which are totaled...
- Scores on the dietary guideline index for children and adolescents are associated with nutrient intake and socio-economic position but not adiposityRebecca K Golley
Public Health Research Group, School of Health Sciences, Sansom Institute for Health Research, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 5001
J Nutr 141:1340-7. 2011..This index is the first validated index in Australia and one of the few international indices to describe the diet quality of children and adolescents...
- Validity and calibration of food frequency questionnaires used with African-American adults in the Jackson Heart StudyTeresa C Carithers
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, The University of Mississippi, University, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:1184-1193. 2009..To examine the relative validity of two food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) developed for use in investigating diet and disease relationships within the adult African-American population in the southern United States...
- Modifying the Healthy Eating Index to assess diet quality in children and adolescentsDiane Feskanich
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 181 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1375-83. 2004..The Healthy Eating Index (HEI) is a scoring system used by the US government to assess adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. We examined the ability of the HEI to monitor diet quality among youth...
- Diet quality--what is it and does it matter?Annika Wirt
School of Health Sciences, HA12 Hunter Building, University Drive, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
Public Health Nutr 12:2473-92. 2009..The present review aims to describe current diet quality tools and their applications, and to examine the relationship between diet quality and morbidity and mortality...
- Nutrient intakes of US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers meet or exceed dietary reference intakesNancy F Butte
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:S27-37. 2010....
- The scored Patient-generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) and its association with quality of life in ambulatory patients receiving radiotherapyE Isenring
The Wesley Research Institute, Brisbane, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:305-9. 2003..To evaluate the scored Patient-generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) tool as an outcome measure in clinical nutrition practice and determine its association with quality of life (QoL)...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of an iron-fortified food product in female soldiers during military training: relations between iron status, serum hepcidin, and inflammationJ Philip Karl
US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 92:93-100. 2010..Iron status degrades in female soldiers during military training. Inflammation-mediated up-regulation of hepcidin, a key mediator of iron homeostasis, may be a contributing factor...
- Association between dietary patterns and plasma biomarkers of obesity and cardiovascular disease riskT T Fung
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 73:61-7. 2001..Although the effects of individual foods or nutrients on the development of diseases and their risk factors have been investigated in many studies, little attention has been given to the effect of overall dietary patterns...
- EuroOOPS: an international, multicentre study to implement nutritional risk screening and evaluate clinical outcomeJanice Sorensen
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 30 Rolighedsvej, 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Clin Nutr 27:340-9. 2008..The aim of the study was to implement nutritional risk screening (NRS-2002) and to assess the association between nutritional risk and clinical outcome...
- Self-care ability and sense of coherence in older nutritional at-risk patientsU Söderhamn
Department of Medicine, Norra Alvsborgs Länssjukhus, Trollhattan, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:96-103. 2008....
- Dietary methods research in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: underreporting of energy intakeR R Briefel
Division of Health Examination Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA rrb
Am J Clin Nutr 65:1203S-1209S. 1997..Additionally, underreporting was associated with diets lower in fat (P < 0.01) and alcohol (P < 0.01 in women) when expressed as a percentage of total energy intake...
- A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distributionJanet A Tooze
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1575-87. 2006..We propose a new statistical method that uses information from two 24-hour recalls to estimate usual intake of episodically consumed foods...
- Implementation of a 4-y, high-fiber, high-fruit-and-vegetable, low-fat dietary intervention: results of dietary changes in the Polyp Prevention TrialE Lanza
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 74:387-401. 2001..30 g/MJ), high-fruit-and-vegetable (0.84 servings/MJ), low-fat (20% of energy from fat) diet on the recurrence of adenomatous polyps in the large bowel...
- Prevalence of malnutrition in pediatric hospital patientsKoen F M Joosten
Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Intensive Care, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Pediatr 20:590-6. 2008..The purpose of this review is to describe the current prevalence of malnutrition in hospitalized children and to describe current risk groups...
- Validation of a semi-quantitative adolescent food frequency questionnaire applied at a public school in São Paulo, BrazilB Slater
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:629-35. 2003..To develop a food frequency questionnaire for adolescents (AFFQ) and demonstrate its relative validity...
- Hepatic proteins and nutrition assessmentM Patricia Fuhrman
Coram Health Care, St Louis, MO, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1258-64. 2004..Furthermore, hepatic protein levels do not accurately measure nutritional repletion. Low serum levels indicate that a patient is very ill and probably requires aggressive and closely monitored medical nutrition therapy...
- Reliability and validity of the Children's Dietary Questionnaire; a new tool to measure children's dietary patternsAnthea Magarey
Dept of Nutrition and Dietetics, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:257-65. 2009..To assess the reliability and validity of a new parent report measure of children's dietary patterns, allowing assessment against national guidelines...
- Assessment of the accuracy of portion size reports using computer-based food photographs aids in the development of an automated self-administered 24-hour recallAmy F Subar
National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Applied Research Program, Risk Factor Monitoring and Methods Branch, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:55-64. 2010..To assess the accuracy of portion-size estimates and participant preferences using various presentations of digital images...
- Biomarkers of the intake of dietary polyphenols: strengths, limitations and application in nutrition researchJeremy P E Spencer
School of Chemistry, Food and Pharmacy, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AP, UK
Br J Nutr 99:12-22. 2008..This review identifies the criteria that must be considered in the development of such biomarkers. In addition, we provide an assessment of the limited number of potential biomarkers of polyphenol intake currently available...
- Serum carotenoid and tocopherol concentrations vary by dietary pattern among African AmericansSameera A Talegawkar
Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:2013-20. 2008..Intakes and biochemical concentrations of carotenoids and tocopherols have been associated with chronic diseases...
- Dietary zinc intake and sex differences in taste acuity in healthy young adultsO McDaid
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 20:103-10. 2007..The aim of this pilot study was to explore relationships between taste sensitivity and dietary zinc intake in healthy young adults (age 20-40 years: 24 male, mean age +/- SD = 27 +/- 4.86 years; 26 female, mean age +/- SD = 23 +/- 2.10)...
- The causes and consequences of cancer-associated malnutritionEric Van Cutsem
Digestive Oncology Unit, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Oncol Nurs 9:S51-63. 2005..Nutritional support, addressing the specific needs of this patient group, is required to help improve prognosis, and reduce the consequences of cancer-associated nutritional decline...
- Dairy food intake of Australian children and adolescents 2-16 years of age: 2007 Australian National Children's Nutrition and Physical Activity SurveyDanielle L Baird
CSIRO Food and Nutritional Sciences, Adelaide BC, South Australia, Australia
Public Health Nutr 15:2060-73. 2012..Dairy food consumption is important for Australian children as it contributes key nutrients such as protein and Ca. The aim of the present paper is to describe dietary intake from dairy foods for Australian children aged 2-16 years in 2007...
- Higher dietary variety is associated with better nutritional status in frail elderly peopleMelissa A Bernstein
Gerald J and Dorothy R Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:1096-104. 2002..A narrow range of food choices may lead to dietary inadequacies, a particular concern in elderly people. We hypothesized that consumption of a more diverse diet would predict better nutritional status in frail elderly persons...
- Role of nutritional status in predicting the length of stay in cancer: a systematic review of the epidemiological literatureDigant Gupta
Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion, IL 60099, USA
Ann Nutr Metab 59:96-106. 2011..Length of stay (LOS) has been used as a surrogate marker for patients' well-being during hospital treatment. We systematically reviewed all pertinent literature on the role of nutritional status in predicting LOS in cancer...
- Use of biological markers to validate self-reported dietary intake in a random sample of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer United Kingdom Norfolk cohortN M McKeown
Medical Research Council, Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 74:188-96. 2001..However, with respect to plasma ascorbic acid, both the FFQ and 7-d food diary provided a similar ranking of subjects according to vitamin C intake...
- Comprehensive assessment of malnutrition risk and related factors in a large group of community-dwelling older adultsZekeriya Ulger
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, 06100 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Nutr 29:507-11. 2010..Older adults are poorly assessed for malnutrition risk although malnutrition is not an uncommon problem in this population. The aim of this study was to determine the malnutrition risk and its correlates in geriatric outpatients...
- Prognostic significance of Subjective Global Assessment (SGA) in advanced colorectal cancerD Gupta
Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion, IL 60099, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:35-40. 2005..To evaluate the prognostic significance of Subjective Global Assessment (SGA) in advanced colorectal cancer and create statistically distinct prognostic groups of colorectal cancer patients based on clinical and nutritional variables...
- Inadequate feeding practices and impaired growth among children from subsistence farming households in Sidama, Southern EthiopiaRosalind S Gibson
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, New Zealand
Matern Child Nutr 5:260-75. 2009..In conclusion, interventions that address the WHO guiding principles for complementary feeding practices and behaviours, as well as prenatal influences on growth, are urgently required in this setting...
- Characteristics of the Mini-Nutritional Assessment in elderly home-care patientsH Soini
Herttoniemi Health Centre, City of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:64-70. 2004..To assess the risk of malnutrition among elderly people living at home and receiving regular home-care services using the Mini-Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and to study the characteristics of the instrument in this patient group...
- An observational study of screening for malnutrition in elderly people living in sheltered accommodationD G Harris
Department of Adult Medicine, Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 21:3-9; quiz 10-2. 2008..There is no consensus regarding the optimal malnutrition screening test for elderly people and little is known about the prevalence of malnutrition in elderly people living in sheltered housing...
- Body mass index and mortality in institutionalized elderlyEmanuele Cereda
Nutrition and Dietetics Service, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Am Med Dir Assoc 12:174-8. 2011..Current guidelines suggest a BMI 21 kg/m(2) or lower as major trigger for nutritional support. We evaluated the association between BMI and mortality in institutionalized elderly...
- Population-specific short-form mini nutritional assessment with body mass index or calf circumference can predict risk of malnutrition in community-living or institutionalized elderly people in taiwanAlan C Tsai
Department of Healthcare Administration, Asia University, Wufeng, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Am Diet Assoc 110:1328-34. 2010..Because measuring calf circumference is easier and less time-consuming then measuring BMI, the modified tool can make periodic nutritional screening an easier job and routine nutritional screening a more realistic goal in geriatric care...
- Unintended weight loss in the elderly living at home: the aged in Home Care Project (AdHOC)L W Sorbye
Diakonhjemmet University College, Box 184, Vinderen N 0319 Oslo
J Nutr Health Aging 12:10-6. 2008..To describe associations between unintended weight loss (UWL) and characteristics of nutritional status...
- Effect of family-style meals on energy intake and risk of malnutrition in dutch nursing home residents: a randomized controlled trialKristel A N D Nijs
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:935-42. 2006..Extrapolation to the nursing home setting may lead to less malnutrition among the residents. Therefore, we investigate the effect of family-style meals on energy intake and the risk of malnutrition in Dutch nursing home residents...
- Measuring dietary change in a diet intervention trial: comparing food frequency questionnaire and dietary recallsCynthia A Thomson
University of Arizona, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:754-62. 2003....
- Determinants of hand grip strength, knee extension strength and functional status in cancer patientsKristina Norman
Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin Campus Mitte, Dept of Gastroenterology, Germany
Clin Nutr 29:586-91. 2010..Decreased functionality and muscle weakness are prominent features in cancer patients. We investigated determinants of muscle function assessed by hand grip and knee extension strength as well as functional status in cancer patients...
- Country of origin predicts nutrition risk among community living older peopleC Wham
Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health, Massey University, Albany Campus, North Shore Mail Centre, Auckland, New Zealand
J Nutr Health Aging 15:253-8. 2011..To assess the nutrition risk status of community living older people and to identify associated risk factors...
- Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on an analysis of controlled clinical trialsJens Kondrup
Nutrition Unit, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Nutr 22:321-36. 2003....
- Development of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for use in United Arab Emirates and Kuwait based on local foodsMahshid Dehghan
Hamilton General Hospital, Population Health Research Institute, 237 Barton, Street East, Hamilton, ON L8L 2X2, Canada
Nutr J 4:18. 2005..The purpose of this study is to describe the development of a culture specific FFQ for Arab populations in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Kuwait...
- Validation of the assessment of folate and vitamin B12 intake in women of reproductive age: the method of triadsA C Verkleij-Hagoort
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Division of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:610-5. 2007....
- Nutritional support and risk status among cancer patients in palliative home care servicesY Orrevall
Department of Clinical Science, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Support Care Cancer 17:153-61. 2009..Differences in the use of nutritional support in relation to nutritional, social and clinical factors, as well as survival were also investigated...
- Metabolomics for assessment of nutritional statusAngela M Zivkovic
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 12:501-7. 2009..The basic toolset, targets and knowledge are all being developed in the emerging field of metabolomics, yet important knowledge and technology gaps will need to be addressed in order to bring such assessment to practice...
- Prevalence of malnutrition in paediatric hospital patientsIngrid Pawellek
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Lindwurmstrasse 4, D 80337 München, Germany
Clin Nutr 27:72-6. 2008..We determined the prevalence of malnutrition in a series of unselected patients consecutively admitted as inpatients to a large tertiary care children's hospital in Germany...
- Development and reliability of an observation method to assess food intake of young children in child careSarah C Ball
Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27599 7461, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:656-61. 2007....
- A prospective study of dairy consumption in relation to changes in metabolic risk factors: the Hoorn StudyMarieke B Snijder
Institute of Health Sciences, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:706-9. 2008..The aim of our study was to investigate the prospective association between dairy consumption and changes in weight and metabolic disturbances...
- Risk for low weight in community-dwelling, older adultsCarolyn T Martin
Nursing Department, California State University, Stanislaus, Turlock, CA 95382, USA
Clin Nurse Spec 21:203-11; quiz 212-3. 2007..The purpose of this study was to describe nutritional risk and low weight in community-dwelling elderly...
- Validation of a malnutrition screening tool for patients receiving radiotherapyM L Ferguson
Nutrition Services Department, Wesley Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Australas Radiol 43:325-7. 1999..0. The MST is easy to use and is a strong predictor of nutritional status. The malnutrition screening tool is a simple, quick, valid tool that can be used to identify radiation oncology outpatients who are at risk of malnutrition...
- Food and nutritional care in hospitals: how to prevent undernutrition--report and guidelines from the Council of EuropeA M Beck
Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, Soeborg, Denmark
Clin Nutr 20:455-60. 2001..To solve the problems highlighted, a combined 'team-effort' is needed from national authorities and all staff involved in the nutritional care and support, including hospital managers...
- Predictive value of geriatric assessment for patients older than 70 years, treated with chemotherapyA A Aaldriks
Institute of Mental Health, GGZ Delfland, Delft, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 79:205-12. 2011..However, its meaning for a proper selection of elderly patients before chemotherapy and, even more important, the influence of chemotherapy on the outcome of geriatric assessment is unknown...
- Nutritional assessment in cancer: comparing the Mini-Nutritional Assessment (MNA) with the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PGSGA)Jane A Read
Medical Oncology, Sydney Cancer Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, Australia
Nutr Cancer 53:51-6. 2005..Both tools were able to correctly classify patients as malnourished, although the MNA lacks specificity. Therefore, the PGSGA should be the tool of choice for nutritional assessment in cancer patients...
- Nutritional screening in community dwelling older adultsBonnie L Callen
College of Nursing, University of Tennessee Knoxville, Knoxville, TN, USA
Int J Older People Nurs 6:272-81. 2011..The purpose of this study was to test whether a combination of validated tools, one for each of five leading nutritional risk factors, could predict unintentional weight loss in community dwelling older adults...
- Effect of Nutrition Labeling on Fast Food ChoicesLisa Harnack; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study builds on previous intervention research on point of purchase nutrition information and price incentives to provide new unique information that may have broad public health implications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diet and Genetic Risks for Prostate CancerMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2005..To date, there are 718 confirmed cases of primary prostatic carcinoma. This proposed study will provide important information about prostate cancer etiology and suggest new strategies for prevention and control. ..
- Postprandial glycemic response to 4-week low and high glycemic load dietsMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- USE OF ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS AND OXIDATIVE DNA DAMAGEMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of Web-based Multimedia Dietary Assessment ToolsLenore Arab; Fiscal Year: 2010..Theepidemiology. The study will als contribute to our confidence in these dietary and activity assessment instruments in multiracial populations. ..
- Predictors of Dietary Quality in Low-Income Pregnant WomenEileen R Fowles; Fiscal Year: 2010..More effective targeted strategies initiated within this narrow window of time may reduce the number of low birth weight infants and improve obstetrical outcomes. ..
- Evaluating Errors in Reported Use of Dietary SupplementsSuzanne Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Exploring strategies to increase school breakfast consumption in middle schoolsKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improving SB participation may be an important public health environmental intervention with both significant health and academic outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INCREASING SCHOOL SNACK BAR FRUIT AND VEGETABLE INTAKEKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Positive findings from this study should be applicable to middle schools where snack bars are available. ..
- Familys' Web: Cancer Prevention for DaughtersKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..This feasibility or pilot study will provide the foundation for a full scale intervention focused on dietary change. ..
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Nutrition in Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional/Inflammatory Evaluation of Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Center for Research/Nutrition & Health among the ElderlyKatherine Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three cores will work with all projects, including administrative, statistical and laboratory cores. A pilot grants program during years 2-4 will encourage additional investigations relevant to the Center theme. ..
- JUSTA: Justice and Health for Poultry WorkersSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Risk of HTN Young Adult Lifestyle & Parental InfluenceMARGARET SAVOCA; Fiscal Year: 2005..This innovative approach will identify relevant intervention points for reducing the risk of hypertension among young African Americans. ..
- Antioxidant nutrients and Oxidative DNA Damage in Afric*Jessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this work would potentially provide investigators with a validated instrument for assessing antioxidant nutrient exposure in population-based studies in the U.S. ..
- CANCER EPIDEMIOLOGY IN ADVENTISTS--A LOW RISK GROUPGary Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2008..PERFORMANCE SITE ========================================Section End=========================================== ..
- Chromium Effects in Imparied Glucose ToleranceDavid Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006..By contributing to knowledge related to potential diabetes prevention strategies, this study addresses one of the more pressing public health issues in the US today. ..
- PROP SENSITIVITY AND OBESITY AMONG ETHNIC CHILDRENTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Understanding how PROP sensitivity relates to obesity and food intake could provide an easily determined stratifying variable to which dietary interventions could be tailored. ..
- Middle School Prevention of Type 2 DiabetesTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Tests of the proposed hypotheses will identify key variables mediating the intervention effects, and thereby elucidate our understanding of how behavior change programs work. ..
- Growth Outcomes in Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia at 36 Weeks Postconceptional AgeDeborah Steward; Fiscal Year: 2007..Further, nutritional intervention may also decrease the severity of BPD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dietary Supplements and Lung & Colorectal Cancer RiskJessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- IVMT for Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Pilot StudyDavid Katz; Fiscal Year: 2004..The identification of an effective, safe, inexpensive therapy for fibromyalgia would represent a great advance, and a major contribution to the public health. ..
- Mujeres en Accion: Walking in Hispanic WomenColleen Keller; Fiscal Year: 2009..intervention program, "Mujeres en Accion: Walking in Hispanic Women," grounded in prior research with ethnically diverse women, to promote the initiation and maintenance of regular PA, and reduce cardiovascular risk among Hispanic women ..
- Estrogen, Inflammation and Cardiovascular RiskDavid Reuben; Fiscal Year: 2003..These findings may provide substantial insight into why CEE appears to promote early but protect against late cardiovascular effects. ..
- BONY EFFECTS OF TRANSIENT NONSKELETAL ILLNESSRobert Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Home Fruit,Juice and Vegetable AvailabilityTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..The extent to which this research enhances the validity and reliability of measurement, future research on correlates will be more successful. ..
- Updating Skeletal Maturity Methods for US ChildrenDana L Duren; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. children. This need can be achieved by updating the FELS skeletal age method using recent available data from non-Hispanic white, non-Hispanic black, Hispanic and Asian American children. ..
- Scientific Advances in CAM by Allied Health and NursingRiva Touger Decker; Fiscal Year: 2003..Intended outcomes of the annual conferences include electronically published proceedings, new and collaborative research and CAM research agendas and priorities for allied health and nursing that can be shared with the key associations. ..
- RURAL ELDERS: ETHNICITY, FOOD MEANING & DIET MEASUREMENTSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2004..These participants will complete six 24 hour diet recall interviews over a six month period, which will be used to validate the adapted Food Frequency Questionnaire and Meal Pattern Questionnaire. ..
- OBESITY PREV AMONG PREPUBERTAL AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRLSTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will be the first obesity prevention project to employ a month-long summer camp, web technology, and sophisticated biological measures to assess factors predictive of body composition change. ..
- Bone-Sparing by Ca Salts With & Without Extra PhosphorusRobert Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2008..1 Description, ..
- Rural Elders' Diabetes Self Management: Development of a Common Sense Model InvenSara A Quandt; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Diet, Colon Cancer, and Cancer CommunicationsJessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2005..Obtaining this award will greatly broaden and strengthen the candidate's focus on cancer prevention and control. ..
- Aripiprazole for Clozapine Associated Medical MorbidityDavid Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Clinical adjunctive therapy may establish aripiprazole as a new therapeutic approach in schizophrenia and clozapine-associated medical disorders. ..
- Novel Risk Factors for Kidney Stone FormationEric Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2008..At the completion of this career development award, Dr. Taylor will have a unique combination of skills and experience that will enable him to succeed as an independent clinical investigator. ..
- MEASUREMENT ERROR, NUTRITION AND BREAST/COLON CANCERRaymond Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2004..An important application of this extension will be to nonparametric calibration in dietary intake studies. ..
- Validation of the EARTH Study Diet History QuestionnaireMaureen Murtaugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..traditional). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- S-adenosylhomocysteine and S-adenosylmethionine in Alcoholic Liver DiseaseCraig J McClain; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies utilize state-of-the-art models/techniques in a translational approach to develop an enhanced understanding of mechanisms involved in ALD and potential new therapy for ALD. ..
- Getting a Head Start on Healthier Eating HabitsTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., role modeling, encouragement, repeated exposure) that would be used to reinforce the impact of the FJV commercials on children's FJV preferences and consumption in an ensuing R01 grant. ..
- Nutrition, Stress and Bone in Older Puerto RicansKatherine Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Establishing the Vitamin D Requirements During LactationBruce W Hollis; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings of this study will generate important new information for health care professionals and policy makers with regard to vitamin D requirements and the potential benefit to both mother and infant. ..
- Maternal obesity, intrauterine gene expression and breast cancerKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Self-Determination and Maintaining Tobacco AbstinenceGeoffrey Williams; Fiscal Year: 2008..The SDT process model of maintained cessation will be tested using structural equation modeling, and cost-effectiveness analyses will be done for the interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Intergenerational Resemblances in Eating: the CSFIISibylle Kranz; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Serum 25(OH)D, Vitamin D Intake, and Breast Cancer Recurrence in the WHEL StudyElizabeth T Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Ethnic/Racial Minorities in the Colon CFRLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- B12 Nutrition in the AgedSally Stabler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BMI, Nutrition, Inflammation and Heart Failure OutcomesTerry Lennie; Fiscal Year: 2007..An understanding of the underlying mechanisms may also allow application of these findings to underweight patients resulting in improved outcomes for these patients. ..
- Isothiocyanates, Limonene and Breast Cancer PreventionCynthia Thomson; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research will provide the foundation for future phytochemical assessment, a critical gap in current cancer prevention-diet research. ..
- SELF DETERMINATION, SMOKING, DIET, AND HEALTHGeoffrey Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MATHEMATICAL MODELING IN NUTRITIONJames Hargrove; Fiscal Year: 2003..Lastly, a panel will discuss the use of modeling in undergraduate and graduate education, and will make recommendations for appropriate activities of a new Research Interest Section on Mathematical Modeling. ..
- Improved Methodology: A Factorial Survey StudyRuth Ludwick; Fiscal Year: 2003..Descriptive statistics, regression, and a repeated measures within subjects ANOVA will be used to analyze the data. ..
- GENES, DIET AND CARCINOGEN ACTIVATION IN SMOKERSLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2004..The elucidation of the main enzymes responsible for carcinogen activation and of the impact of dietary factors on these enzymes would have important implications for cancer prevention. ..
- HEALTH COMMUNICATION IN CANCER CONTROLMarci Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2004..A careful process evaluation will be conducted in order to understand factors relevant to adoption, implementation and maintenance of evidence-based strategies to improve the health and quality of life of veterans. ..
- ATHEROSCLEROSIS PREVENTION IN MICE BY MUTANT APO A-1GODFREY GETZ; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- National Nutrient Databank ConferencePhyllis Stumbo; Fiscal Year: 2004..Scholarships are requested to increase participation by minority and disadvantaged students. ..
- Artificial Nutrition in Terminally Ill Cancer PatientsSydney Dy; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dy with the skills she needs to develop into an independent clinical researcher in oncology palliative care decision-making and health services research. ..
- WEIGHT LOSS IN OBESE BREAST CANCER SURVIVORSZora Djuric; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study should be useful to determine certain psychosocial are associated with extent of weight loss, and in turn whether weight loss is associated with changes in selected markers of breast cancer risk. ..
- Dissemination of a Weight Management Program among US VeteransMarci K Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of Diet Methodology for N-nitroso CompoundsJANICE STUFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Supplemental Fluid & Collagen DepositionNancy Stotts; Fiscal Year: 2005..Significance: Findings from the study have the potential to significantly change how fluid is managed in nursing home residents and to lay the foundation for a major intervention study on pressure ulcer healing. ..
- Endogenous Hormones and Risk of EndometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Establishment of follow-up among our younger cohort will provide resources for the first prospective study of endometriosis among adolescents. ..
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Hispanic obese youthNancy Butte; Fiscal Year: 2005..Newly proposed tests include chromogenic assays to measure lipid peroxidation end products and endotoxins, and ELISA and RIA to measure cytokine and markers of systemic inflammation. ..
- Prediction of Energy Expenditure/Physical Activity in Children and AdolescentsNancy Butte; Fiscal Year: 2008..A new method based on direct ambulatory monitoring of HR and PA will be developed to accurately predict EE, and hence 24-h TEE and AEE in children and adolescents. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Methodology and AccuracySUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this methodological project could have major implications for how 24hDRs are obtained from children in future national surveys, NIH-funded studies, and other studies. ..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Integrating Interventions to Improve Fecal IncontinenceJohn Schnelle; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- "MENTORED PATIENT-ORIENTED RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD"Allon Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- A prospective study of diet and endometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2006..These analyses will be the first to evaluate the relation between these dietary factors and this important and understudied cause of morbidity among premenopausal women. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 24,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D: MARKER OF SALT SENSITIVITYConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, they should provide an explanation for the paradox that blacks can build higher bone density, have a lower rate of bone turnover, and excrete less urinary calcium on the same sodium loads compared to whites. ..
- Phytoestrogens, alcohol, and endometrial cancer riskELISA BANDERA; Fiscal Year: 2007..This award will provide the support and training the Candidate needs to develop an independent career in the nutritional epidemiology of cancer. ..
- METHODOLOGIC ISSUES IN NUTRITIONAL EPIDEMIOLOGYKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2002..We aim to provide guidance to researchers who wish to explore diet-disease relations in how to use data best to obtain most valid results and avoid pitfalls which might produce misleading associations. ..
- ACTIVATING MULTIETHNIC YOUTH FOR SMOKING PREVENTIONKaren Glanz; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Stress, Sleep and Emerging CVD Risk FactorsKaren Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will provide novel data testing the relationships of daytime stressful events, SDB, and other nocturnal physiological measures with the emerging risk factors and subclinical CVD measured in HeartSCORE. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multivariate CART for survival with dental applicaionsMartha Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MALNUTRITION IN DIALYSIS PATIENTSTALAT IKIZLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Pittsburgh Mind-Body Center-IIKaren Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2008..Support-in-kind from the host institutions will enable us to leverage the funds provided by the RFA to expand Center activities that would not otherwise be possible. ..
- Interleukin-1 Composite Genotype and Alveolar Bone LossMartha Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2005..The risk of tooth loss will be compared among the genotypes. Significance: The results of this study may be useful in identifying a genetic component to oral bone loss. ..
- Preventing Childhood Obesity: Targeting the Diet of the Mother and Child DyadGrace Falciglia; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lifetime body weight and premenopausal breast cancerKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of Preschool and High School Diet RecallKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly we will determine whether the validity of recall depends on characteristics such as time between diet record and FFQ, number of children, gender of the subject, and nutritional status. ..
- Development of Objective Methods for Fluorosis DiagnosisESPERANZA MARTINEZ MIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..