Genomes and Genes
Summary: Systematic collections of factual data pertaining to the diet of a human population within a given geographic area.
Publications288 found, 100 shown here
- Development, validation and utilisation of food-frequency questionnaires - a reviewJanet Cade
Nutrition Epidemiology Group, Division of Public Health, Nuffield Institute for Health, 71 75 Clarendon Road, University of Leeds, UK
Public Health Nutr 5:567-87. 2002..It does not include any recommendations about the most appropriate method for dietary assessment (e.g. food-frequency questionnaire versus weighed record)...
- Whole-grain intake is favorably associated with metabolic risk factors for type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in the Framingham Offspring StudyNicola M McKeown
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:390-8. 2002..The influence of whole grains on cardiovascular disease risk may be mediated through multiple pathways, eg, a reduction in blood lipids and blood pressure, an enhancement of insulin sensitivity, and an improvement in blood glucose control...
- Measurement of dietary intake in childrenM B Livingstone
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Co Londonderry, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 59:279-93. 2000..The development of improved techniques for identification of mis-reporters and investigation of the issue of differential reporting of foods should also be given priority...
- Relative validation of the KiGGS Food Frequency Questionnaire among adolescents in GermanyJulia Truthmann
Technische Universitat Munchen, School of Management, Marketing and Consumer Research, Freising, Germany
Nutr J 10:133. 2011....
- Using intake biomarkers to evaluate the extent of dietary misreporting in a large sample of adults: the OPEN studyAmy F Subar
Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 158:1-13. 2003..There was little underreporting of the percentage of energy from protein for men or women. These findings have important implications for nutritional epidemiology and dietary surveillance...
- Validity and reproducibility of the food frequency questionnaire used in the Shanghai Women's Health StudyX O Shu
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:17-23. 2004..These data indicate that the SWHS FFQ can reliably and accurately measure usual intake of major nutrients and food groups among women in Shanghai...
- Fast-food consumption among US adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profileSahasporn Paeratakul
Nutritional Epidemiology, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 103:1332-8. 2003..To examine the dietary profile associated with fast-food use. To compare the dietary intake of individuals on the day that they ate fast food with the day that fast food was not eaten...
- Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, fish intake, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitusManas Kaushik
Departments of Nutrition, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 90:613-20. 2009..Diet is a key component of a healthy lifestyle in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). The role of long-chain omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids (LCFAs) in the development of T2DM remains unresolved...
- Statistical approaches for assessing the relative validity of a food-frequency questionnaire: use of correlation coefficients and the kappa statisticL F Masson
Department of Public Health, University of Aberdeen, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, Scotland, UK
Public Health Nutr 6:313-21. 2003..To compare different statistical methods for assessing the relative validity of a self-administered, 150-item, semi-quantitative food-frequency questionnaire (FFQ) with 4-day weighed diet records (WR)...
- A comparison of a food frequency questionnaire with a 24-hour recall for use in an epidemiological cohort study: results from the biomarker-based Observing Protein and Energy Nutrition (OPEN) studyArthur Schatzkin
Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int J Epidemiol 32:1054-62. 2003..We use data from the Observing Protein and Energy Nutrition (OPEN) study to compare the performance of a FFQ with that of a 24-hour recall (24HR)...
- Adolescent dietary patterns are associated with lifestyle and family psycho-social factorsGina L Ambrosini
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, PO Box 855, West Perth, Western Australia 6872, Australia
Public Health Nutr 12:1807-15. 2009..The present study describes dietary patterns in a cohort of adolescents and examines their associations with socio-economic factors, as well as parental and adolescent risk factor behaviours...
- Food variety and dietary diversity scores in children: are they good indicators of dietary adequacy?N P Steyn
Chronic Diseases of Lifestyle Unit, Medical Research Council, PO Box 19070, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Public Health Nutr 9:644-50. 2006..To assess whether a food variety score (FVS) and/or a dietary diversity score (DDS) are good indicators of nutrient adequacy of the diet of South African children...
- A mixed-effects model approach for estimating the distribution of usual intake of nutrients: the NCI methodJanet A Tooze
Department of Biostatistical Sciences, School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Stat Med 29:2857-68. 2010..The NCI method may be used for estimating the distribution of usual nutrient intake for populations and subpopulations as part of a unified framework of estimation of usual intake of dietary constituents...
- Validity of a food frequency questionnaire varied by age and body mass indexLaura Paalanen
Department of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Epidemiol 59:994-1001. 2006..The validity of food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) in measuring food consumption and nutrient intake has to be assessed. The objective of this study was to assess the validity of a 128-item FFQ in specific subgroups of Finnish adults...
- A prospective study of variety of healthy foods and mortality in womenKarin B Michels
Obstetrics and Gynecology Epidemiology Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 31:847-54. 2002..The simplest way to describe dietary preferences is to separate foods considered beneficial to health from foods considered to promote disease, and separate individuals on the basis of their regular consumption of these foods...
- Longitudinal changes in diet from childhood into adulthood with respect to risk of cardiovascular diseases: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyV Mikkilä
Division of Nutrition, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1038-45. 2004..To assess nutrient intakes relevant in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) among young adults in Finland and to find past and present determinants of quality of diet...
- Dietary assessment methods for micronutrient intake: a systematic review on vitaminsPatricia Henríquez-Sánchez
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Br J Nutr 102:S10-37. 2009..26 to 0.38. The FFQ is an acceptable method of assessing vitamin intake. The present review provides new insights regarding the characteristics that assessment methods for dietary intake should fulfil...
- Standardization of the 24-hour diet recall calibration method used in the european prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC): general concepts and preliminary resultsN Slimani
Unit of Nutrition and Cancer, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:900-17. 2000..In addition, an analysis of variance was performed to examine the level of standardization of EPIC-SOFT across the 90 interviewers involved in the study...
- Relative validation of a food frequency questionnaire for national health and nutrition monitoringMarjolein Haftenberger
Robert Koch Institute, Department of Epidemiology and Health Reporting, Berlin, Germany
Nutr J 9:36. 2010..Therefore the relative validity of an FFQ developed for use in the German Health Examination Survey for Adults 2008-2011 (DEGS) was examined...
- Associations among the food environment, diet quality and weight status in Cree children in QuébecShauna M Downs
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, 4 10 Agriculture Forestry Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Public Health Nutr 12:1504-11. 2009..To explore the relationship among children's diet quality, weight status and food environment in subarctic Canada...
- Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household surveyShanthy A Bowman
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 113:112-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that fast-food consumption adversely affects dietary factors linked to obesity risk...
- The role of blood loss and diet in the aetiology of mild iron deficiency in premenopausal adult New Zealand womenA L Heath
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Public Health Nutr 4:197-206. 2001..Women should be encouraged to maintain a healthy body weight, and those who choose to donate blood, or who experience nose bleeds, should have their iron stores monitored...
- Self-reported energy intake by FFQ compared with actual energy intake to maintain body weight in 516 adultsEls Siebelink
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 106:274-81. 2011..However, the large differences found on the individual level may affect the results of epidemiological studies in an unknown direction if nutrients are corrected for energy intakes reported by FFQ...
- Relative and biomarker-based validity of a food frequency questionnaire that measures the intakes of vitamin B(12), folate, iron, and zinc in young womenFlavia Fayet
Discipline of Nutrition and Metabolism, School of Molecular Bioscience, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Nutr Res 31:14-20. 2011..37, P < .01) and vitamin B(12) (r = 0.27, P < .01). The electronic FFQ developed in the present study is a relatively valid tool that was able to adequately assess and rank individuals according to their nutrient intakes...
- Dietary quality predicts adult weight gain: findings from the Framingham Offspring StudyPaula A Quatromoni
Department of Health Sciences, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Boston University, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1383-91. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that dietary quality, measured by adherence to the Dietary Guidelines, was related to weight change in adults...
- Dietary supplements contribute substantially to the total nutrient intake in pregnant Norwegian womenMargaretha Haugen
Department of Food Safety and Nutrition, Division of Environmental Medicine, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
Ann Nutr Metab 52:272-80. 2008..Our objective was to study use and contribution of dietary supplement to nutrient intake among women participating in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)...
- Fruit and vegetable intake in a sample of 11-year-old children in 9 European countries: The Pro Children Cross-sectional SurveyAgneta Yngve
Department of Biosciences, Unit for Preventive Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Nutr Metab 49:236-45. 2005..Within the Pro Children Project, such an instrument has been developed. This paper describes the cross-sectional survey in 11-year-olds in 9 countries...
- A Belgian study on the reliability and relative validity of the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children food-frequency questionnaireCarine A Vereecken
Department of Public Health, Ghent University, University Hospital, Bloc A, 2nd Floor, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Public Health Nutr 6:581-8. 2003..The present study was conducted to assess the reliability and relative validity of the HBSC FFQ among school pupils in Belgium...
- Meal patterns and cooking practices in Southern France and Central EnglandClare Pettinger
School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Public Health Nutr 9:1020-6. 2006....
- Dietary patterns and colorectal adenomas in Japanese men: the Self-Defense Forces Health StudyTetsuya Mizoue
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Higashiku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Am J Epidemiol 161:338-45. 2005..A dietary pattern including greater consumption of dairy products and fruits and vegetables with low alcohol consumption may be associated with decreased risk of colorectal adenomas...
- Validation of food variety as an indicator of diet quality assessed with a food frequency questionnaire for Western MaliL E Torheim
Akershus University College, Ringstabekkveien, Bekkestua, Norway
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1283-91. 2003..To assess the validity of two diet quality indexes-food variety score (FVS) and diet diversity score (DDS) in Western Mali...
- Exercise, physical fitness, and dietary habits of first-year female nursing studentsAmaia Irazusta
School of Nursing, Instituto Médico Basurto, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Bizkaia, Spain
Biol Res Nurs 7:175-86. 2006....
- Diet quality in CanadaDidier Garriguet
Health Analysis Division at Statistics Canada, Ottawa K1A 0T6
Health Rep 20:41-52. 2009..In addition to recommendations about the consumption of specific foods and nutriens, a measure of overall diet quality is useful. Over the years, a number of countries, but not Canada, have developed indexes to evaluate diet quality...
- Changes in food supply in Mediterranean countries from 1961 to 2001Reina Garcia-Closas
Department of Epidemiology, IDIBELL Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO, Av Gran Via S N, Km 2, 7, ES 08907 L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
Public Health Nutr 9:53-60. 2006..To describe geographical differences and time trends in the supply of the most important food components of the traditional Mediterranean diet...
- Trends in breakfast consumption for children in the United States from 1965-1991A M Siega-Riz
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 67:748S-756S. 1998..Given the association of obesity with less frequent breakfast consumption and the rise in obesity among persons of this age group, a renewed emphasis on the importance of breakfast is warranted...
- Reproducibility and relative validity of food group intake in a food frequency questionnaire developed for the Tehran Lipid and Glucose StudyFiroozeh Hosseini Esfahani
Obesity Research Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Epidemiol 20:150-8. 2010..To examine the validity and reproducibility of food groups in the semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) developed for the Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study (TLGS)...
- Despite mandatory fortification of staple foods, vitamin D intakes of Canadian children and adults are inadequateHassanali Vatanparast
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, 110 Science Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5C9
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 121:301-3. 2010..Consideration should be given to strategies to improve vitamin D intake of Canadians by increasing both the amount of vitamin D added to foods and range of foods eligible for fortification...
- Older adults who use vitamin/mineral supplements differ from nonusers in nutrient intake adequacy and dietary attitudesRhonda S Sebastian
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1322-32. 2007..To measure nutrient intake adequacy of vitamin/mineral supplement users and nonusers aged 51 years and older, determine the efficacy of supplement practices in compensating for dietary deficits, and identify predictors of supplement use...
- Validity and calibration of food frequency questionnaires used with African-American adults in the Jackson Heart StudyTeresa C Carithers
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, The University of Mississippi, University, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:1184-1193. 2009..To examine the relative validity of two food frequency questionnaires (FFQs) developed for use in investigating diet and disease relationships within the adult African-American population in the southern United States...
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005Patricia M Guenther
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture, 3101 Park Center Drive, Suite 1034, Alexandria, VA 22302, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1854-64. 2008..The Healthy Eating Index (HEI), a measure of diet quality as specified by federal dietary guidance, was revised to conform to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. The HEI has several components, the scores of which are totaled...
- Modifying the Healthy Eating Index to assess diet quality in children and adolescentsDiane Feskanich
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 181 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1375-83. 2004..The Healthy Eating Index (HEI) is a scoring system used by the US government to assess adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. We examined the ability of the HEI to monitor diet quality among youth...
- Food security and nutritional outcomes of preschool-age Mexican-American childrenLucia L Kaiser
Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, 95616, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:924-9. 2002..To examine the relationship of food insecurity to nutrition of Mexican-American preschoolers...
- Fish intake and type 2 diabetes in Japanese men and women: the Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective StudyAkiko Nanri
Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, International Clinical Research Center, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Clin Nutr 94:884-91. 2011..However, data from populations with high fish consumption are scarce...
- A prospective study of whole-grain intake and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in US womenS Liu
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Am J Public Health 90:1409-15. 2000..This study examined the association between intake of whole vs refined grain and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Multiple sociodemographic and socioenvironmental characteristics are correlated with major patterns of dietary intake in adolescentsGretchen J Cutler
Minnesota Department of Health, St Paul, MN, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 111:230-40. 2011..Few studies have used dietary pattern analysis, a useful method to summarize dietary intake, in adolescents...
- Dietary fat and postmenopausal invasive breast cancer in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study cohortAnne C M Thiebaut
Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd, Executive Plaza South Rm 3033, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:451-62. 2007..Although ecologic association and animal studies support a direct effect of dietary fat on the development of breast cancer, results of epidemiologic studies have been inconclusive...
- Low-carbohydrate-diet score and the risk of coronary heart disease in womenThomas L Halton
Departments of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 355:1991-2002. 2006..Low-carbohydrate diets have been advocated for weight loss and to prevent obesity, but the long-term safety of these diets has not been determined...
- Snacking increased among U.S. adults between 1977 and 2006Carmen Piernas
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Nutr 140:325-32. 2010..More research is needed to gain a better understanding of the implications for overall energy intake and energy imbalance...
- Meats, processed meats, obesity, weight gain and occurrence of diabetes among adults: findings from Adventist Health StudiesArnold Vang
Department of Health Promotion and Education, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
Ann Nutr Metab 52:96-104. 2008..To examine the relation between meat intake and diabetes occurrence in adults...
- Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaireBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, PQ
Can J Diet Pract Res 66:67-75. 2005..These results suggest that the FFQ is a relatively valid instrument for determining usual diet in Quebec adults...
- Dietary patterns of school-age children in Scotland: association with socio-economic indicators, physical activity and obesityLeone C A Craig
Population Health, Division of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Br J Nutr 103:319-34. 2010..This has implications for targeting health promotion at subgroups in terms of lifestyle changes required...
- Diet quality status of most Tehranian adults needs improvementLeila Azadbakht
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:163-8. 2005..Diets were categorized into: needs improvement (74%); good (23%); and poor (3%). Since the majority of the sample needed to improve their diet, this suggests that nutrition intervention may be needed...
- Reliability and relative validity of an FFQ for nutrients in the Tehran lipid and glucose studyParvin Mirmiran
1Obesity Research Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, PO Box 19395 4763, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Public Health Nutr 13:654-62. 2010..To describe the relative validity and reliability of the FFQ used for assessing nutrient intakes of participants in the Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study (TLGS)...
- Children's meal patterns have changed over a 21-year period: the Bogalusa Heart StudyTheresa A Nicklas
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:753-61. 2004..The objective of this study was to analyze children's meal patterns over 2 decades...
- Validity and reproducibility of the food-frequency questionnaire used in the Shanghai men's health studyRaquel Villegas
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Medical Center East, Suite 6000, 1215 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Br J Nutr 97:993-1000. 2007..8 and 49.2%, while misclassification to opposite quartiles was between 1.5 and 6.2%. These data indicate that the SMHS FFQ can reasonably categorise usual intake of nutrients and food groups among men living in urban Shanghai...
- Food preparation by young adults is associated with better diet qualityNicole I Larson
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South 2nd St, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:2001-7. 2006..To describe food-preparation behaviors, cooking skills, resources for preparing food, and associations with diet quality among young adults...
- A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distributionJanet A Tooze
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1575-87. 2006..We propose a new statistical method that uses information from two 24-hour recalls to estimate usual intake of episodically consumed foods...
- Meal pattern, food choice, nutrient intake and lifestyle factors in The Göteborg Adolescence StudyA Sjoberg
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Box 459, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1569-78. 2003..To relate meal pattern of Swedish adolescents to food choice, nutrient intake and other lifestyle factors...
- High intake of fruits and vegetables predicts weight loss in Brazilian overweight adultsDaniela Saes Sartorelli
Department of Social Medicine, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, SP 14049 900, Brazil
Nutr Res 28:233-8. 2008..05). Our findings support the relevance of increased intakes of fruits and vegetables that may help avoid weight gain in overweight adults...
- Antioxidant vitamins and coronary heart disease risk: a pooled analysis of 9 cohortsPaul Knekt
National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 80:1508-20. 2004..Epidemiologic studies have suggested a lower risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) at higher intakes of fruit, vegetables, and whole grain. Whether this association is due to antioxidant vitamins or some other factors remains unclear...
- Trends in energy and nutrient intake and risk of inadequate intakes in Catalonia, Spain (1992-2003)Lluis Serra-Majem
Community Nutrition Research Centre, University of Barcelona Science Park, Baldiri Reixac 4, Torre D 4A1, 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Public Health Nutr 10:1354-67. 2007..To analyse trends in energy and nutrient intakes and nutritional adequacy from 1992 to 2003...
- Dietary habits and nutritional status in adolescents over Europe. An overview of current studies in the Nordic countriesG Samuelson
Department of Medicine, Clinical Physiology, University of Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:S21-8. 2000....
- Estimating under-reporting of energy intake in dietary surveys using an individualised methodKirsten L Rennie
Unilever Corporate Research, Colworth Park, Sharnbrook, Bedford MK44 1LQ, UK
Br J Nutr 97:1169-76. 2007..The EER method allows UR to be quantified and takes into account an individual's activity level. Measures of physical activity and questions to identify under-eating during dietary recording may help to evaluate secular trends in UR...
- Canadian Aboriginal women have a higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency than non-Aboriginal women despite similar dietary vitamin D intakesHope A Weiler
Human Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, R3T 2N2 MB, Canada
J Nutr 137:461-5. 2007..5 nmol/L. The high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among Aboriginal women, combined with lower dietary intake of calcium, especially in older women, likely contributes to the higher incidence of fracture in this population...
- Food poverty and health among schoolchildren in Ireland: findings from the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) studyMichal Molcho
Department of Health Promotion, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Public Health Nutr 10:364-70. 2007..To investigate the relationships between food poverty and food consumption, health and life satisfaction among schoolchildren...
- Inadequate nutrient intakes are common and are associated with low diet variety in rural, community-dwelling elderlyT A Marshall
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
J Nutr 131:2192-6. 2001..Recommendations to increase diet variety and consume a nutrient supplement may be necessary for elderly people to achieve adequate nutrient intakes...
- The MSM program: web-based statistics package for estimating usual dietary intake using the Multiple Source MethodU Harttig
Department of Epidemiology, German Institute of Human Nutrition, Potsdam Rehbruecke, DIFE, Nuthetal, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:S87-91. 2011..The objective was to implement the MSM algorithms into an easy-to-use statistical program package...
- Dietary diversity within food groups: an indicator of specific nutrient adequacy in Tehranian womenParvin Mirmiran
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran IR, Iran
J Am Coll Nutr 25:354-61. 2006..To determine the relationship between dietary diversity within food groups and dietary diversity score and the probability of nutrient adequacy in Tehranian women...
- Sodium in the Finnish diet: II trends in dietary sodium intake and comparison between intake and 24-h excretion of sodiumH Reinivuo
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:1160-7. 2006..To estimate cross-sectional and long-term dietary sodium intakes and sources in Finland, and to evaluate the validity of 48-h recall to assess sodium intake...
- Comparing four methods to estimate usual intake distributionsO W Souverein
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:S92-101. 2011..The methods being compared were the Iowa State University Method (ISU), National Cancer Institute Method (NCI), Multiple Source Method (MSM) and Statistical Program for Age-adjusted Dietary Assessment (SPADE)...
- Dietary patterns and diabetes incidence in the Melbourne Collaborative Cohort StudyAllison M Hodge
Cancer Epidemiology Centre, The Cancer Council Victoria, 1 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 165:603-10. 2007..Avoidance of a dietary pattern including meats and fatty foods, as well as adherence to a pattern including salad and cooked vegetables, is recommended...
- Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among Norwegian schoolchildren: parental and self-reportsElling Bere
Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, Box 1046 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Public Health Nutr 7:991-8. 2004....
- Psychosocial predictors of energy underreporting in a large doubly labeled water studyJanet A Tooze
Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, National Cancer Institute, Executive Plaza North, Suite 3131, 6130 Executive Boulevard, MSC 7354, Bethesda, MD 20892 7354, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 79:795-804. 2004..Doubly labeled water is an unbiased reference biomarker for energy intake that may be used to assess underreporting...
- A case-control study on seaweed consumption and the risk of breast cancerYoon Jung Yang
Department of Preventive Medicine, Hanyang University, Haengdang dong, Sungdong gu, Seoul, South Korea
Br J Nutr 103:1345-53. 2010..Miyeok consumption did not have any significant associations with breast cancer. These results suggest that high intake of gim may decrease the risk of breast cancer...
- Dietary intake and nutritional status of children and adolescents in EuropeJanet Lambert
Lambert Nutrition Consultancy Ltd, 5 Britwell Road, Watlington, OX49 5JS, UK
Br J Nutr 92:S147-211. 2004..There are insufficient data on status to be able to be able to draw any conclusions about the nutritional quality of the diets of European children and adolescents...
- Determinants of the adherence to an "a priori" defined Mediterranean dietary patternA Sanchez-Villegas
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Eur J Nutr 41:249-57. 2002..A prospective cohort study with university level participants was initiated to study the effect of Mediterranean diet on health...
- Consumption of (n-3) fatty acids is related to plasma biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial activation in womenEsther Lopez-Garcia
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Medical School, USA
J Nutr 134:1806-11. 2004....
- Dietary intakes of retinol, beta-carotene, vitamin D and vitamin E in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohortM Jenab
Lifestyle and Cancer Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:S150-78. 2009....
- A diet quality index for American preschoolers based on current dietary intake recommendations and an indicator of energy balanceSibylle Kranz
Department of Nutritional Sciences, 5 Henderson Building South, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1594-604. 2006....
- Diet in a group of 18-month-old children in South West England, and comparison with the results of a national surveyI Cowin
Unit of Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 20:254-67. 2007..To investigate the normal range of nutrient intakes and food consumption patterns in 18 month old children...
- Use of biological markers to validate self-reported dietary intake in a random sample of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer United Kingdom Norfolk cohortN M McKeown
Medical Research Council, Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 74:188-96. 2001..However, with respect to plasma ascorbic acid, both the FFQ and 7-d food diary provided a similar ranking of subjects according to vitamin C intake...
- Mediterranean diet and metabolic syndrome in an urban population: the Athens StudyEvanthia T Gouveri
4th Department of Internal Medicine and Unit of Vascular Medicine, Evangelismos State General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Nutr Clin Pract 26:598-606. 2011..The aim of this study was to retrospectively investigate the association between MedDiet and MetS in a representative sample of the Athenian population in the early 1980s, when MetS had not been established as an entity yet...
- Associations between dietary patterns at 6 and 15 months of age and sociodemographic factorsL G Smithers
Discipline of Public Health, School of Population Health and Clinical Practice, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:658-66. 2012..However, it is not clear when dietary patterns emerge. We aimed to describe dietary patterns in early life and their associations with maternal and infant sociodemographic characteristics...
- Food intake of European adolescents in the light of different food-based dietary guidelines: results of the HELENA (Healthy Lifestyle in Europe by Nutrition in Adolescence) StudyKatharina Diethelm
Research Institute of Child Nutrition, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University Bonn, Heinstueck 11, D 44225 Dortmund, Germany
Public Health Nutr 15:386-98. 2012..Therefore, the aim of the present study was to describe and evaluate the food consumption of a well-characterized sample of European adolescents against food-based dietary guidelines for the first time...
- Both comprehensive and brief self-administered diet history questionnaires satisfactorily rank nutrient intakes in Japanese adultsSatomi Kobayashi
Department of Social and Preventive Epidemiology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Epidemiol 22:151-9. 2012..We compared the relative validity of nutrient intake derived from DHQ with that from the BDHQ, using semi-weighed 16-day dietary records (DRs) as reference...
- Accuracy of estimates of food portion size using food photographs--the importance of using age-appropriate toolsEmma Foster
Human Nutrition Research Centre, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Public Health Nutr 9:509-14. 2006..Tools are available to assist subjects in providing an estimate of portion size and these include food photographs. The application of these tools in improving portion size estimation by children has not been investigated systematically...
- Relative validity of adolescent dietary patterns: a comparison of a FFQ and 3 d food recordGina L Ambrosini
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Br J Nutr 105:625-33. 2011..Comparable dietary patterns may be obtained from the FFQ and FR using exploratory factor analysis. This supports the use of major dietary patterns identified using the FFQ in this adolescent cohort...
- Relative validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire designed for French adultsEmmanuelle Kesse-Guyot
INSERM U, INRA U, CNAM, Human Nutrition Research Center of Ile de France, UFR SMBH, Paris, France
Ann Nutr Metab 57:153-62. 2010..We tested the reproducibility and relative validity of a French self-administered food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) against 24-hour dietary records (DRs)...
- Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of breast cancer in the Black Women's Health StudyDeborah A Boggs
Slone Epidemiology Center at Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Am J Epidemiol 172:1268-79. 2010....
- Explaining the 25-year decline of serum cholesterol by dietary changes and use of lipid-lowering medication in FinlandLiisa M Valsta
National Institute for Health and Welfare, PO Box 30, FI 00271, Helsinki, Finland
Public Health Nutr 13:932-8. 2010....
- Alternative dietary indices both strongly predict risk of chronic diseaseStephanie E Chiuve
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Nutr 142:1009-18. 2012..However, the AHEI-2010, which included additional dietary information, was more strongly associated with chronic disease risk, particularly CHD and diabetes...
- Meat consumption in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohorts: results from 24-hour dietary recallsJ Linseisen
Unit of Human Nutrition and Cancer Prevention, Technical University of Munich, Alte Akademie 16, D 85405 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Public Health Nutr 5:1243-58. 2002..To evaluate meat intake patterns in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohorts...
- Dietary assessment in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and ChildrenP Emmett
Department of Community Based Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:S38-44. 2009..To describe the use of dietary assessment methods in a cohort study...
- Diet quality and mortality: a population-based prospective study of menJ Kaluza
Division of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:451-7. 2009..To study quality of diet in relation to all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease (CVD) and cancer mortality...
- The National Food Consumption Survey (NFCS): South Africa, 1999D Labadarios
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Tygerberg, South Africa
Public Health Nutr 8:533-43. 2005..The aim of the National Food Consumption Survey (NFCS) in South Africa was to determine the nutrient intakes and anthropometric status of children (1-9 years old), as well as factors that influence their dietary intake...
- Socio-demographic differences in food habits and preferences of school adolescents in Jiangsu Province, ChinaZ Shi
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Jiangsu Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1439-48. 2005..To identify the differences in food habits and preferences among the adolescents according to socio-demographic characteristics...
- High intra/interindividual variance ratios for energy and nutrient intakes of pregnant women in rural Malawi show that many days are required to estimate usual intakeJoshua Nyambose
School of Nutrition Science and Policy, the Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging HNRCA, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr 132:1313-8. 2002....
- Nutritional epidemiology--past, present, futureKarin B Michels
Int J Epidemiol 32:486-8. 2003
- Fruits and vegetables consumption among Costa Rican adolescentsR Monge Rojas
Costa Rican Institute for Research and Education on Nutrition and Health, INCIENSA, Costa Rica
Arch Latinoam Nutr 51:81-5. 2001..000) when pulses and banana were not counted. Examination of the factors associated with low intake of fruit and vegetables could be beneficial to develop effective interventions targeted to increase their consumption among adolescents...
- Comparison of digital photography to weighed and visual estimation of portion sizesDonald A Williamson
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 103:1139-45. 2003..The primary goal was to test the validity of digital photography for measuring food portion sizes compared with weighed foods and with direct visual estimation...
- Development of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for use in United Arab Emirates and Kuwait based on local foodsMahshid Dehghan
Hamilton General Hospital, Population Health Research Institute, 237 Barton, Street East, Hamilton, ON L8L 2X2, Canada
Nutr J 4:18. 2005..The purpose of this study is to describe the development of a culture specific FFQ for Arab populations in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Kuwait...
- Validation of Web-based Multimedia Dietary Assessment ToolsLenore Arab; Fiscal Year: 2010..Theepidemiology. The study will als contribute to our confidence in these dietary and activity assessment instruments in multiracial populations. ..
- Memory Errors in Children's Dietary RecallsSUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Healthful dietary habits will decrease the risk of such chronic diseases as cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Methodology and AccuracySUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this methodological project could have major implications for how 24hDRs are obtained from children in future national surveys, NIH-funded studies, and other studies. ..
- Predictors of Children's Serving Sizes & Mealtime IntakeTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding what influences the portion sizes of energy dense foods and FV will provide insight on intervention strategies for decreasing excessive intake of energy dense foods and increasing FV intake early in childhood. ..
- Getting a Head Start on Healthier Eating HabitsTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., role modeling, encouragement, repeated exposure) that would be used to reinforce the impact of the FJV commercials on children's FJV preferences and consumption in an ensuing R01 grant. ..
- Food Preferences of Ethnic Minority PreschoolersTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- The CIA (Children in Action) ProgramTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diet and Genetic Risks for Prostate CancerMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2005..To date, there are 718 confirmed cases of primary prostatic carcinoma. This proposed study will provide important information about prostate cancer etiology and suggest new strategies for prevention and control. ..
- PROP SENSITIVITY AND OBESITY AMONG ETHNIC CHILDRENTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Understanding how PROP sensitivity relates to obesity and food intake could provide an easily determined stratifying variable to which dietary interventions could be tailored. ..
- Middle School Prevention of Type 2 DiabetesTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2008..Tests of the proposed hypotheses will identify key variables mediating the intervention effects, and thereby elucidate our understanding of how behavior change programs work. ..
- Intergenerational Resemblances in Eating: the CSFIISibylle Kranz; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INCREASING SCHOOL SNACK BAR FRUIT AND VEGETABLE INTAKEKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Positive findings from this study should be applicable to middle schools where snack bars are available. ..
- Maternal obesity, intrauterine gene expression and breast cancerKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Exploring strategies to increase school breakfast consumption in middle schoolsKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improving SB participation may be an important public health environmental intervention with both significant health and academic outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Validation of Preschool and High School Diet RecallKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly we will determine whether the validity of recall depends on characteristics such as time between diet record and FFQ, number of children, gender of the subject, and nutritional status. ..
- USE OF ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS AND OXIDATIVE DNA DAMAGEMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- An Exploratory Center for Obesity Research (RMI)Adam Drewnowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..By promoting interagency collaborations, these efforts will help the NIH develop a roadmap on how to effectively translate research findings into national, state, and local health policy. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lifetime body weight and premenopausal breast cancerKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OBESITY PREV AMONG PREPUBERTAL AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRLSTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will be the first obesity prevention project to employ a month-long summer camp, web technology, and sophisticated biological measures to assess factors predictive of body composition change. ..
- Postprandial glycemic response to 4-week low and high glycemic load dietsMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Home Fruit,Juice and Vegetable AvailabilityTom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..The extent to which this research enhances the validity and reliability of measurement, future research on correlates will be more successful. ..
- METHODOLOGIC ISSUES IN NUTRITIONAL EPIDEMIOLOGYKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2002..We aim to provide guidance to researchers who wish to explore diet-disease relations in how to use data best to obtain most valid results and avoid pitfalls which might produce misleading associations. ..
- Familys' Web: Cancer Prevention for DaughtersKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..This feasibility or pilot study will provide the foundation for a full scale intervention focused on dietary change. ..
- Center for Research/Nutrition & Health among the ElderlyKatherine Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three cores will work with all projects, including administrative, statistical and laboratory cores. A pilot grants program during years 2-4 will encourage additional investigations relevant to the Center theme. ..
- TRIAL OF ACTIVITY FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS - FIELD CENTERLeslie Lytle; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Home Based Nutrition Intervention and Play Group Exercise for Low Income LatinasDonna Matheson; Fiscal Year: 2009..They are also experiencing increasingly high levels of obesity. This research compares two nutrition and exercise programs designed to prevent obesity. One program is family-based and the other is traditional group based sessions. ..
- Predictors of Dietary Quality in Low-Income Pregnant WomenEileen R Fowles; Fiscal Year: 2010..More effective targeted strategies initiated within this narrow window of time may reduce the number of low birth weight infants and improve obstetrical outcomes. ..
- Effect of Nutrition Labeling on Fast Food ChoicesLisa Harnack; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study builds on previous intervention research on point of purchase nutrition information and price incentives to provide new unique information that may have broad public health implications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Risk of HTN Young Adult Lifestyle & Parental InfluenceMARGARET SAVOCA; Fiscal Year: 2005..This innovative approach will identify relevant intervention points for reducing the risk of hypertension among young African Americans. ..
- Evaluating Errors in Reported Use of Dietary SupplementsSuzanne Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammatory Markers in a 2-Year Soy Intervention among Premenopausal WomenGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..The statistical analysis will apply general linear models to compare the levels of inflammatory markers by soy intake, while taking into account the repeated measurement design. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Eye Disease in a Trial of Selenium and Vitamin EWilliam Christen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Project F-EAT: Families and Eating and Activity in TeensDianne R Neumark Sztainer; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Nutritional Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes in the Multiethnic CohortGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Moves Obesity Prevention Among Adolescent GirlsDianne Neumark Sztainer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Paul area of Minnesota. The study population will include 360 girls (an average of 30 girls from each school). The proposed study period is five years. ..
- Effects of Soy on Estrogens in Breast Fluid and UrineGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2010..The NAF approach is the only way to learn more about the beneficial and adverse effects of soy directly in the female breast without applying invasive procedures to women without breast disease or surgery. ..
- Trace Elements and Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risks Factors Among Young AdultsKa He; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Soy Consumption and Breast Tissue ProliferationGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Breast Density, IGF-I, & Prolactin, in Four PopulationsGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2004..The statistical analysis will include mixed models to explore the relation between hormone levels and breast density while controlling for confounders and for clustering by study location. ..
- Nutrition Program-Caribbean Hispanic elders & diabetesODILIA BERMUDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- JUSTA: Justice and Health for Poultry WorkersSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Cancer Risk Reduction through Dietary InterventionJennifer Di Noia; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Dietary Glycemic Load, Body Weight, and Blood LipidsYunsheng Ma; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- HIV Prevention Among Adolescent WomenJennifer Di Noia; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CANCER EPIDEMIOLOGY IN ADVENTISTS--A LOW RISK GROUPGary Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2008..PERFORMANCE SITE ========================================Section End=========================================== ..
- Marketing health to Latinos through tiendasGuadalupe Ayala; Fiscal Year: 2007..e., increased physical activity, reduction in tobacco use) in a novel setting. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pesticide Dose Monitoring in Turf ApplicatorsShelley Harris; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RURAL ELDERS: ETHNICITY, FOOD MEANING & DIET MEASUREMENTSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2004..These participants will complete six 24 hour diet recall interviews over a six month period, which will be used to validate the adapted Food Frequency Questionnaire and Meal Pattern Questionnaire. ..
- DIETARY INTERVENTION--WOMEN HIGH RISK FOR BREAST CANCERZora Djuric; Fiscal Year: 2002..The use of biomarkers will allow to evaluate the cancer-protective effects of dietary modulation over a relatively short period of time. ..
- Rural Elders' Diabetes Self Management: Development of a Common Sense Model InvenSara A Quandt; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RANDOMIZED TRIALS OF VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS AND EYE DISEASEWilliam Christen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Amino Acids, Protein, and BMI in Adults Across CulturesKa He; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is of great public health and clinical significance as obesity is a major health concern. The findings from this project may lead to new research on obesity prevention. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cohort Study of Risks for Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaAlan Kristal; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from this study will enhance our understanding of the etiology of symptomatic BPH and could potentially be used to develop new strategies for prevention and control of this very common disease. ..
- Dietary Factors in Eye DiseaseWilliam Christen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the proposed analyses represent an extremely cost-effective opportunity to compare directly the predictive ability of several potentially modifiable risk factors for ARM and cataract in women and men. ..
- A Theater-Based Obesity Prevention Program for ChildrenDianne Neumark Sztainer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this study will provide insight into how to engage parents in school- based interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adherence to a Low-fat Diet in African American AdolescentsJennifer Di Noia; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings will provide data on which to base interventions to promote low-fat eating in this population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effect of high dairy, high non-dairy and low calcium diet on weight and fat lossJANET WHATLEY BLUM; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phytoestrogens and breast cancer riskSusan McCann; Fiscal Year: 2006..These investigations, combining retrospective and experimental designs, as well as genetic analyses, will help to elucidate the role of dietary phytoestrogen intake in the etiology of a hormone- sensitive cancer. ..
- Assessing African American Adolescent Food IntakesJennifer Di Noia; Fiscal Year: 2005..The fully developed measure is intended for use as a self-monitoring tool in health promotion programs designed to increase fruit and vegetable consumption among economically disadvantaged Black adolescents. ..
- Diet and Prostate Cancer RiskJackilen Shannon; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- WEIGHT LOSS IN OBESE BREAST CANCER SURVIVORSZora Djuric; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study should be useful to determine certain psychosocial are associated with extent of weight loss, and in turn whether weight loss is associated with changes in selected markers of breast cancer risk. ..
- Unplugged and Media Savvy: Reducing the Impact of "Screen" TimeDonna Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Development of Diet Methodology for N-nitroso CompoundsJANICE STUFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- GIS, ALCOHOL MARKETING, AND ALCOHOL-RELATED OUTCOMESDeborah Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Because alcohol marketing is already regulated, if certain marketing techniques are disproportionately associated with alcohol consumption and alcohol-related mortality, the findings can be used to inform public policy. ..
- Environmental Risk Factors and Canine Malignant LymphomaElizabeth Bertone Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Because dogs and their human owners share a common environment within the household, results from this study will have direct relevance to the on-going effort to identify factors that may increase risk of human NHL. ..
- Away From Home and Out of SchoolDeborah A Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings will be useful to inform future community and population level interventions to promote healthy eating, active living, and obesity control. ..
- Antioxidant nutrients and Oxidative DNA Damage in Afric*Jessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this work would potentially provide investigators with a validated instrument for assessing antioxidant nutrient exposure in population-based studies in the U.S. ..