- Decision trees: an overview and their use in medicine
University of Maribor FERI, Slovenia
J Med Syst 26:445-63. 2002
..b>Decision trees are a reliable and effective decision making technique that provide high classification accuracy with a simple ..
- Classification and regression tree analysis in public health: methodological review and comparison with logistic regression
Stephenie C Lemon
Brown University School of Medicine, USA
Ann Behav Med 26:172-81. 2003
..Classification and regression tree (C&RT) analysis is a nonparametric decision tree methodology that has the ability to efficiently segment populations into meaningful subgroups. However, it is not commonly used in public health...
- Reducing the burden of childhood malaria in Africa: the role of improved
Maria E Rafael
RAND Corporation, 1776 Main Street, PO Box 2138, Santa Monica, California 90401 2138, USA
Nature 444:39-48. 2006
- Predicting breast cancer survivability: a comparison of three data mining methods
Department of Management Science and Information Systems, Oklahoma State University, 700 North Greenwood Venue, Tulsa, OK 74106, USA
Artif Intell Med 34:113-27. 2005
..Therefore, the main objective of this manuscript is to report on a research project where we took advantage of those available technological advancements to develop prediction models for breast cancer survivability...
- Cost-effectiveness of malaria diagnostic methods in sub-Saharan Africa in an era of combination therapy
Andean Health and Development Saludesa, Quito, Ecuador
Bull World Health Organ 86:101-10. 2008
..To evaluate the relative cost-effectiveness in different sub-Saharan African settings of presumptive treatment, field-standard microscopy and rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) to diagnose malaria...
- Conditional variable importance for random forests
Department of Statistics, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Ludwigstrasse 33, D 80539 Munchen, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 9:307. 2008
..Their variable importance measures have recently been suggested as screening tools for, e.g., gene expression studies. However, these variable importance measures show a bias towards correlated predictor variables...
- Screening for chronic kidney disease: where does Europe go?
Paul E de Jong
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University Medical Center Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9713 EZ Groningen, Netherlands
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:616-23. 2008
- A decision tree for tuberculosis contact investigation
Lynn B Gerald
University of Alabama at Birmingham Lung Health Center, NHB 104, 619 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35249 7337, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1122-7. 2002
..Several decision trees were developed and were then tested using prospectively collected data from 366 new tuberculosis cases and ..
- Seeing the trees despite the forest: applying recursive partitioning to the evaluation of drug treatment retention
SIStat, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 36:59-64. 2009
..The basic methodology of RP is introduced and applied to the prediction of treatment retention...
- Decision tree and ensemble learning algorithms with their applications in bioinformatics
Department of Computer Science, East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 696:191-9. 2011
..We hope that by learning the algorithms of decision trees and ensemble classifiers, biologists can get the basic ideas of how machine learning algorithms work...
- Sequences in the interferon sensitivity-determining region and core region of hepatitis C virus impact pretreatment prediction of response to PEG-interferon plus ribavirin: data mining analysis
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Musashino Red Cross Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Med Virol 83:445-52. 2011
..A decision-tree model that includes these viral factors as predictors could identify patients with a high probability of sustained virological response...
- Different screening strategies (single or dual) for the diagnosis of suspected latent tuberculosis: a cost effectiveness analysis
Division of Infection and Immunity, Centre for Infectious Diseases and International Health, University College London Medical School, University College London, 43 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
BMC Pulm Med 10:7. 2010
- Cost effectiveness of pneumococcal vaccination among Dutch infants: economic analysis of the seven valent pneumococcal conjugated vaccine and forecast for the 10 valent and 13 valent vaccines
Mark H Rozenbaum
Unit of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Pharmacy, University of Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
BMJ 340:c2509. 2010
- Linking clinical measurements and kinematic gait patterns of toe-walking using fuzzy decision trees
Laboratoire d Automatique, de Mécanique et d Informatique industrielles et Humaines, Universite de Valenciennes et du Hainaut Cambresis, Le Mont Houy, 59313 Valenciennes Cedex 9, France
Gait Posture 25:475-84. 2007
..range of movement, muscle spasticity and muscle strength) were coded in fuzzy modalities, and fuzzy decision trees were induced to create intelligible rules allowing toe-walkers to be assigned to one of the three groups...
- Propensity score estimation: neural networks, support vector machines, decision trees (CART), and meta-classifiers as alternatives to logistic regression
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7435, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 63:826-33. 2010
..Our objective in this review was to assess machine learning alternatives to logistic regression, which may accomplish the same goals but with fewer assumptions or greater accuracy...
- Prediction of thermostability from amino acid attributes by combination of clustering with attribute weighting: a new vista in engineering enzymes
Department of Biology and Bioinformatics Research Group, University of QOM, Qom, Iran
PLoS ONE 6:e23146. 2011
..This study demonstrates the feasibility of predicting thermostability irrespective of sequence similarity and will serve as a basis for engineering thermostable enzymes in the laboratory...
- Cost-effectiveness of treatment strategies for cervical infection among women at high risk in Madagascar
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University at Albany, SUNY, Rensselaer, New York, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:631-7. 2007
- A review and comparison of classification algorithms for medical decision making
Paul R Harper
School of Mathematics, University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, Southampton, UK
Health Policy 71:315-31. 2005
- Predicting gene function using hierarchical multi-label decision tree ensembles
Department of Computer Science, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Celestijnenlaan 200A, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
BMC Bioinformatics 11:2. 2010
..Different machine learning methods have been proposed to this end, but it remains unclear which method is to be preferred in terms of predictive performance, efficiency and usability...
- A combined neural network and decision trees model for prognosis of breast cancer relapse
José M Jerez-Aragonés
Departamento de Lenguajes y Ciencias de la Computación, Complejo Tecnológico de la Información, Campus de Teatinos, University of Malaga, 29071, Malaga, Spain
Artif Intell Med 27:45-63. 2003
- Measuring performance in health care: case-mix adjustment by boosted decision trees
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Direction de la Politique Médicale, 3 Av Victoria, F 75184 Paris Cedex 04, France
Artif Intell Med 32:97-113. 2004
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the suitability of boosted decision trees for the case-mix adjustment involved in comparing the performance of various health care entities.
- Cost-effectiveness of QuantiFERON-TB test vs. tuberculin skin test in the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U795, Faculte de Medecine, Lille, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:471-81. 2010
- Surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry serum protein profiling to identify nasopharyngeal carcinoma
David Wing Yuen Ho
Department of Surgery, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Cancer 107:99-107. 2006
..The use of serum protein profiles and a classification tree algorithm were explored to distinguish NPC from noncancer...
- Are decision trees a feasible knowledge representation to guide extraction of critical information from randomized controlled trial reports?
Grace Y Chung
Centre for Health Informatics, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8:48. 2008
This paper proposes the use of decision trees as the basis for automatically extracting information from published randomized controlled trial (RCT) reports...
- Decision tree methods in pharmaceutical research
Paul E Blower
Leadscope, Inc, 1393 Dublin Road, Columbus, OH 43215, USA
Curr Top Med Chem 6:31-9. 2006
b>Decision trees are among the most popular of the new statistical learning methods being used in the pharmaceutical industry for predicting quantitative structure-activity relationships...
- Transporter studies in drug development: experience to date and follow-up on decision trees from the International Transporter Consortium
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 94:113-25. 2013
..regulatory and industry-based scientists, with input from academic scientists, and focused primarily on the decision trees published from the first workshop...
- [Standards, Options and Recommendations for non metastatic breast cancer patients]
Institut Bergonie, Bordeaux, France
Bull Cancer 89:207-24. 2002
..The methodology is based on a literature review and critical appraisal by a multidisciplinary group of experts, with feedback from specialists in cancer care delivery...
- Longitudinal risk profiling for suicidal thoughts and behaviours in a community cohort using decision trees
Philip J Batterham
Centre for Mental Health Research, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
J Affect Disord 142:306-14. 2012
..This study used a decision tree approach to develop individual models of suicide risk and identify the risk factors for suicidality that are important for different subpopulations...
- Cost per fall: a potentially misleading indicator of burden of disease in health and residential care settings
Terry P Haines
Southern Physiotherapy Clinical School, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Eval Clin Pract 19:153-61. 2013
- A cost-effectiveness model comparing rivaroxaban and dabigatran etexilate with enoxaparin sodium as thromboprophylaxis after total hip and total knee replacement in the irish healthcare setting
National Centre for Pharmacoeconomics, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Pharmacoeconomics 27:829-46. 2009
..Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) is a direct factor Xa inhibitor and dabigatran etexilate (Pradaxa) is a prodrug of the active compound dabigatran, which inhibits thrombin...
- Performance comparison between Logistic regression, decision trees, and multilayer perceptron in predicting peripheral neuropathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus
Chang ping Li
Department of Health Statistics, College of Public Health, Tianjin Medical University, and Department of Internal Neurology, Tianjin Huanhu Hospital, Tianjin 300070, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 125:851-7. 2012
- Prognostic factors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: comparison of CHAID decision trees technology and Cox analysis
Francesc Xavier Avilés-Jurado
Otorhinolaryngology Head Neck Surgery Department, Hospital Universitari de Tarragona Joan XXIII, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Head Neck 35:877-83. 2013
- Supervised learning with decision tree-based methods in computational and systems biology
Department of EE and CS and GIGA Research, University of Liege, Belgium
Mol Biosyst 5:1593-605. 2009
..The second part of the review provides a survey of their applications in the context of computational and systems biology...
- Algorithm to determine the outcome of patients with acute liver failure: a data-mining analysis using decision trees
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Faculty of Medicine, Saitama Medical University, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama machi, Iruma gun, Saitama, 350 0495, Japan
J Gastroenterol 47:664-77. 2012
..We established algorithms to predict the prognosis of acute liver failure (ALF) patients through a data-mining analysis, in order to improve the indication criteria for liver transplantation...
- Use of simple heuristics to target macrolide prescription in children with community-acquired pneumonia
Joachim E Fischer
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital of Zurich, Steinwiesstrasse 75, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 156:1005-8. 2002
..Owing to alarming resistance rates among invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates, particularly in young children, macrolide use should be restricted to patients infected with susceptible pathogens, eg, Mycoplasma pneumoniae...
- Combining classification trees using MLE
W D Shannon
Washington University School of Medicine, Division of General Medical Sciences, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Stat Med 18:727-40. 1999
..We implement an ascent search for the MLE tree structure using a data set of 13 classification trees that predict the presence or absence of cancer based on immune system parameters...
- Binary recursive partitioning: background, methods, and application to psychology
Edgar C Merkle
Department of Psychology, Wichita State University, Kansas 67260, USA
Br J Math Stat Psychol 64:161-81. 2011
..In this paper, we describe BRP methods in a detailed manner and illustrate their use in psychological research. We also provide R code for carrying out the methods...
- RNA search with decision trees and partial covariance models
Jennifer A Smith
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Boise State University, 1910 University Ave, Boise, ID 83725 2075, USA
IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform 6:517-27. 2009
..The decision trees are chosen to minimize computation time subject to the constraint that all of the training sequences are ..
- Pretreatment prediction of response to peginterferon plus ribavirin therapy in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C using data mining analysis
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Musashino Red Cross Hospital, 1 26 1 Kyonan cho, Musashino, Tokyo 180 8610, Japan
J Gastroenterol 46:401-9. 2011
..This study aimed to develop a model for the pre-treatment prediction of sustained virological response (SVR) to peg-interferon plus ribavirin therapy in chronic hepatitis C...
- Analysis of meal patterns with the use of supervised data mining techniques--artificial neural networks and decision trees
Aine P Hearty
Institute of Food and Health, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Am J Clin Nutr 88:1632-42. 2008
..At present, the analysis of dietary patterns is based on the intake of individual foods. This article demonstrates how a coding system at the meal level might be analyzed by using data mining techniques...
- Assessment of the risk factors of coronary heart events based on data mining with decision trees
Minas A Karaolis
Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus, Nicosia 1678, Cyprus
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 14:559-66. 2010
..e., medical or surgical. However, further investigation with larger datasets is still needed...
- Decision trees for indication of cataract surgery based on changes in visual acuity
Jose M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo CIBER Epidemiología y Salud Pública, Galdakao, Vizcaya, Spain
Ophthalmology 117:1471-8, 1478.e1-3. 2010
To develop decision trees based on prospectively collected data for determining the appropriateness of cataract extraction.
- Analysis of traffic injury severity: an application of non-parametric classification tree techniques
Li Yen Chang
Graduate Institute of Transportation and Logistics, National Chia Yi University, 300 University Road, Chia Yi 60004, Taiwan
Accid Anal Prev 38:1019-27. 2006
..Pedestrians, motorcycle and bicycle riders are identified to have higher risks of being injured than other types of vehicle drivers in traffic accidents...
- Decision trees for identifying predictors of treatment effectiveness in clinical trials and its application to ovulation in a study of women with polycystic ovary syndrome
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Hum Reprod 25:2612-21. 2010
..g. genetic markers), there is still much utility in exploring whether it is possible to estimate treatment efficacy based on demographic and baseline variables...
- Assessment of freeway traffic parameters leading to lane-change related collisions
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 2450, USA
Accid Anal Prev 38:936-48. 2006
..The results indicate that these models may be applied for identifying real-time traffic conditions prone to lane-change related crashes...
- Pattern recognition for road traffic accident severity in Korea
S Y Sohn
Department of Industrial Systems Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Ergonomics 44:107-17. 2001
..The finding is that accuracy does not differ significantly for each model and that the protective device is the most important factor in the accident severity variation...
- Cell and tumor classification using gene expression data: construction of forests
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:4168-72. 2003
..In addition to numerical improvement, the main advantage of deterministic forests is reproducibility and scientific interpretability of all steps in tree construction...
- Gene mining: a novel and powerful ensemble decision approach to hunting for disease genes using microarray expression profiling
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Biomathematics and Bioinformatics, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150086, China
Nucleic Acids Res 32:2685-94. 2004
..Establishment of this analysis strategy has offered the promise of advancing microarray technology as a means of deciphering the involved genetic complexities of complex diseases...
- Developing and validating predictive decision tree models from mining chemical structural fingerprints and high-throughput screening data in PubChem
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:401. 2008
..Computational approaches for the analysis of HTS results face great challenges due to the large quantity of information and significant amounts of erroneous data produced...
- Controlling feature selection in random forests of decision trees using a genetic algorithm: classification of class I MHC peptides
Program in Bioinformatics, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Comb Chem High Throughput Screen 12:514-9. 2009
..We have developed a procedure--GenForest--which controls feature selection in random forests of decision trees by using a genetic algorithm...
- Phylogenetic dependency networks: inferring patterns of CTL escape and codon covariation in HIV-1 Gag
Jonathan M Carlson
eScience Group, Microsoft Research, Redmond, Washington, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 4:e1000225. 2008
..Phylogenetic dependency networks represent a major step toward systematically expanding our understanding of CTL escape to diverse populations and whole viral genes...
- Probabilistic sensitivity analysis for decision trees with multiple branches: use of the Dirichlet distribution in a Bayesian framework
Andrew H Briggs
Health Economics Research Centre, University of Oxford, Institute of Health Sciences, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, United Kingdom
Med Decis Making 23:341-50. 2003
..Furthermore, they demonstrate that by adopting a Bayesian approach, the problem of observing zero counts for transitions of interest can be overcome...
- Expanded newborn screening for inborn errors of metabolism by electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry: results, outcome, and implications
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Pediatrics 111:1399-406. 2003
- Predictive value of CD24 and CD44 for neoadjuvant chemotherapy response and prognosis in primary breast cancer patients
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Tokyo, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 57:165-75. 2010
..We investigated the significance of CD24 and CD44 expression for predicting responses to chemotherapy and prognosis in primary breast cancer patients...
- Diversity and complexity of HIV-1 drug resistance: a bioinformatics approach to predicting phenotype from genotype
GMD German National Research Center for Information Technology, Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing, Schloss Birlinghoven, D 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8271-6. 2002
..We found prediction errors of 9.6-15.5% for all drugs except for zalcitabine, didanosine, and stavudine, with prediction errors between 25.4% and 32.0%. A prediction service is freely available at http://cartan.gmd.de/geno2pheno.html...
- Evaluation of explicit criteria for total hip joint replacement
J M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital de Galdakao, Barrio Labeaga s n, 48960 Galdakao, Vizcaya, Spain
J Clin Epidemiol 53:1200-8. 2000
..These results support the use of this indications algorithm as a screening tool for assessing the appropriateness of hip replacement surgery in osteoarthritis...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of rapid diagnostic test, microscopy and syndromic approach in the diagnosis of malaria in Nigeria: implications for scaling-up deployment of ACT
Benjamin S C Uzochukwu
Department of Community Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nigeria
Malar J 8:265. 2009
..The study hence compares the cost-effectiveness of RDT versus syndromic diagnosis and microscopy...
- SELDI-TOF MS profiling of serum for detection of laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma and the progression to lymph node metastasis
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Fudan University affliated Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, 83 Fenyang Road, 200031, Shanghai, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 134:769-76. 2008
- Artificial neural networks and decision tree model analysis of liver cancer proteomes
John M Luk
Department of Surgery and Center for Cancer Research, Faculty of Medicine Building, 9 F, 21 Sassoon Road, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 361:68-73. 2007
..The 2-DE-based proteomic profiling approach combined with the ANN or CART algorithm yielded satisfactory performance on identifying HCC and revealed potential candidate cancer biomarkers...
- Reducing the global burden of acute lower respiratory infections in children: the contribution of new diagnostics
Yee Wei Lim
RAND Corporation, 1776 Main Street, PO Box 2138, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Nature 444:9-18. 2006
- Demonstrating freedom from disease using multiple complex data sources 1: a new methodology based on scenario trees
P A J Martin
Department of Agriculture and Food, P O Box 1231, Bunbury, Western Australia 6231, Australia
Prev Vet Med 79:71-97. 2007
..Finally, calculation of the probability of country freedom from the estimated sensitivity of the surveillance system is illustrated, incorporating the use and valuation of historical surveillance evidence...
- SELDI-TOF MS profiling of serum for detection of the progression of chronic hepatitis C to hepatocellular carcinoma
E Ellen Schwegler
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Cell Biology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, USA
Hepatology 41:634-42. 2005
..In conclusion, SELDI-TOF MS serum profiling is able to distinguish HCC from liver disease before cirrhosis as well as cirrhosis, especially in patients with HCV infection compared with other etiologies...
- An interactive model for the assessment of the economic costs and benefits of different rapid diagnostic tests for malaria
Department of Public Health and Policy, LSHTM, London, UK
Malar J 7:21. 2008
..The model presented (available online) can be used by decision makers to evaluate alternative RDTs and assess the circumstances under which their use is justified on economic grounds...
- Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: diagnosis and management
Department of Surgery, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:262-75. 2006
- Depression is the main determinant of quality of life in multiple sclerosis: a classification-regression (CART) study
Department of Neurology and Neurorehabilitation, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, IRCCS, Piancavallo VB, Italy
Disabil Rehabil 28:307-14. 2006
- Decision trees for indication of total hip replacement on patients with osteoarthritis
Jose M Quintana
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Barrio Labeaga s n, 48960 Galdakao, Vizcaya, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:1402-9. 2009
..To develop a decision tree based on health-related quality of life outcomes rather than expert consensus for determining the appropriateness of total hip replacement (THR) among patients with hip OA...
- Screening and treatment of latent tuberculosis among healthcare workers at low, moderate, and high risk for tuberculosis exposure: a cost-effectiveness analysis
Shelley R Salpeter
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, San Jose, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:1056-61. 2004
..To evaluate cost-effective screening and treatment strategies for healthcare workers (HCWs) at risk for tuberculosis exposure...
- Application of surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight-based serum proteomic array technique for the early diagnosis of prostate cancer
Yu Zhuo Pan
Research Center of Prostate Diseases, Department of Reproductive Pathophysiology, School of Basic Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, China
Asian J Androl 8:45-51. 2006
..To identify the serum biomarkers of prostate cancer (PCa) by protein chip and bioinformatics...
- Models developed by three techniques did not achieve acceptable prediction of binary trauma outcomes
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Central and Eastern Clinical School, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 59:26-35. 2006
..To develop prediction models for outcomes following trauma that met prespecified performance criteria. To compare three methods of developing prediction models: logistic regression, classification trees, and artificial neural networks...
- Application of serum SELDI proteomic patterns in diagnosis of lung cancer
Shuan Ying Yang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Second Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, 710004, China
BMC Cancer 5:83. 2005
..The aim of this study is to explore the application of serum SELDI proteomic patterns to distinguish lung cancer patients from healthy individuals...
- Oblique decision trees for spatial pattern detection: optimal algorithm and application to malaria risk
Medical Statistics and Informatics Research Team, LIF UMR 6166, CNRS Aix Marseille University, Faculty of Medicine, 27 Bd Jean Moulin 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
BMC Med Res Methodol 5:22. 2005
..For this purpose, we have developed an ODT-algorithm to find an oblique partition of the space defined by the geographic coordinates...
- Classification of dopamine, serotonin, and dual antagonists by decision trees
Hye Jung Kim
Biochemicals Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, PO Box 131, Cheongryang, Seoul 130 650, South Korea
Bioorg Med Chem 14:2763-70. 2006
..6% and predicted at the average 69.8%. The decision trees from RP, the best model, were generated to identify and interpret those descriptors that discriminate the ..
- Prediction of pancreatic cancer by serum biomarkers using surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization-based decision tree classification
Department of Pathophysiology, Shanghai Terry Fox Cancer Center and Institute of Hematology, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200025, China
Oncology 68:79-86. 2005
..In order to improve the prognosis of pancreatic cancer patients, it is crucial to explore novel tools for its early diagnosis. Here, we attempted to screen serum biomarkers to distinguish pancreatic cancer from non-cancer individuals...
- Protein cellular localization prediction with Support Vector Machines and Decision Trees
Ana Carolina Lorena
Instituto de Ciências Matemáticas e de Computação ICMC, Universidade de Sao Paulo USP, CEP 13560 970, Cx Postal 668, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
Comput Biol Med 37:115-25. 2007
..This paper uses two Machine Learning techniques, Support Vector Machines (SVMs) and Decision Trees, in the prediction of the localization of proteins from three categories of organisms: gram-positive and gram-..
- Predicting disordered regions in proteins based on decision trees of reduced amino acid composition
School of Computer Science and IT, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Comput Biol 13:1723-34. 2006
..In this paper we present a system for predicting disordered regions in proteins based on decision trees and reduced amino acid composition...
- Virtual screening of Chinese herbs with Random Forest
Thomas M Ehrman
Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Division and Centre for Natural Medicines Research, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NH, United Kingdom
J Chem Inf Model 47:264-78. 2007
Random Forest, a form of multiple decision trees, has been used to screen a database of Chinese herbal constituents for potential inhibitors against several therapeutically important molecular targets...
- The impact of response to the results of diagnostic tests for malaria: cost-benefit analysis
Health Economics and Financing Programme, Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT
BMJ 336:202-5. 2008
..This study tested the impact of clinicians' response to rapid diagnostic test or microscopy results on the costs and benefits of testing at different levels of malaria transmission and in different age groups...
- [Gender-sensitive epidemiological data analysis: methodological aspects and empirical outcomes. Illustrated by a health reporting example]
Bremer Institut für Präventionsforschung und Sozialmedizin, Bremen, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 51:13-27. 2008
..This procedure combines graphical models with CHAID decision trees and allows for visualising complex results...
- Serum diagnosis of diffuse large B-cell lymphomas and further identification of response to therapy using SELDI-TOF-MS and tree analysis patterning
Department of Medical Oncology, Sun Yat sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, 510060, China
BMC Cancer 7:235. 2007
..In this study, we used serum proteomic mass spectra to identify potential serum biomarkers and biomarker patterns for detecting DLBCL and patient responses to therapy...
- The cost-effectiveness of computer-assisted navigation in total knee arthroplasty
Erik J Novak
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Francisco, 500 Parnassus Avenue, MU 320W, San Francisco, CA 94143 0728, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:2389-97. 2007
- Predicting who will drop out of nursing courses: a machine learning exercise
Laurence G Moseley
HESAS, Glyntaff Campus, University of Glamorgan, Portypridd CF37 1DL, UK
Nurse Educ Today 28:469-75. 2008
..The concepts of causation and prediction are different, and have different implications for practice. This distinction is applied here to studies of the problem of student attrition (although it is more widely applicable)...
- Clinical decision modeling system
Bioinformatics Analysis Core, Genomics and Proteomics Core Laboratories, 3343 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 7:23. 2007
- Integrating functional knowledge during sample clustering for microarray data using unsupervised decision trees
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Biom J 49:214-29. 2007
..Our approach computes dendrograms that resemble decision trees with gene classes used to split the data at each node which can help to find biologically meaningful ..
- Classification trees distinguish suicide attempters in major psychiatric disorders: a model of clinical decision making
J John Mann
Department of Neuroscience, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:23-31. 2008
..Classification and regression tree (CART) analysis generates decision trees that select the variables that perform best in identifying the group of interest and model clinical decision ..
- Hybrid outcome prediction model for severe traumatic brain injury
Boon Chuan Pang
Acute Brain Injury Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, National Neuroscience Institute, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, 308433 Singapore
J Neurotrauma 24:136-46. 2007
..Combining both logistic regression and decision tree models, a hybrid prediction model was then developed. This hybrid model would more accurately predict the 6-month post-severe head injury outcome using baseline admission parameters...
- Use of the C4.5 machine learning algorithm to test a clinical guideline-based decision support system
Jean Baptiste Lamy
Laboratoire d Informatique Médicale et de Bio informatique LIM and BIO, UFR SMBH, Universite Paris 13, Bobigny, France
Stud Health Technol Inform 136:223-8. 2008
..This method was successfully used for the testing of a medical DSS relating to chronic diseases: the ASTI critiquing module for type 2 diabetes...
- Predicting ICU survival: a meta-level approach
Lefteris G Gortzis
Telemedicine Unit, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
BMC Health Serv Res 8:157. 2008
..The objective of the present study was twofold: to propose a prototype meta-level predicting approach concerning Intensive Care Unit (ICU) survival and to evaluate the effectiveness of typical mining models in this context...
- What are decision trees?
Department of Computer Science, Institute for Advanced Computer Studies and Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:1011-3. 2008
b>Decision trees have been applied to problems such as assigning protein function and predicting splice sites. How do these classifiers work, what types of problems can they solve and what are their advantages over alternatives?
- The role of procalcitonin in a decision tree for prediction of bloodstream infection in febrile patients
R P H Peters
Department of Internal Medicine, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1207-13. 2006
..g., PCT, in CART analysis, as compared with MLR models. This underlines the value of PCT plus CART analysis in the diagnosis of a febrile patient...
- Using data mining techniques to explore physicians' therapeutic decisions when clinical guidelines do not provide recommendations: methods and example for type 2 diabetes
UFR SMBH, Universite Paris, Bobigny, France
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 9:28. 2009
..We demonstrate our method by an example in the domain of type 2 diabetes...
- [Approach to the methodology of classification and regression trees]
Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos, Hospital Universitario Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida, Espana
Gac Sanit 22:65-72. 2008
To provide an overview of decision trees based on CART (Classification and Regression Trees) methodology...
- Representation of clinical practice guidelines in conventional and augmented decision tables
R N Shiffman
Center for Medical Informatics, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 4:382-93. 1997
..To develop a knowledge representation model for clinical practice guidelines that is linguistically adequate, comprehensible, reusable, and maintainable...
- Classification and regression tree for prediction of outcome after severe head injury using simple clinical and laboratory variables
Department of Neurosurgery, Asclepeion General Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Neurotrauma 21:886-93. 2004
..This technique may prove useful in developing new therapeutic strategies and approaches for patients with severe brain injury...
- Decision support tools for clinical diagnosis of disease in cows with suspected bovine spongiform encephalopathy
Secretariat of the Scientific Committee, Administration of Control Policy, Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 42:172-8. 2004
..The model had a sensitivity of 100% and a specificity of 85%. This approach allows the use of an interactive decision-support tool, based entirely on odds ratios, a statistic independent of disease prevalence...
- Predicting gene function from patterns of annotation
Oliver D King
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genome Res 13:896-904. 2003
..We modeled the relationships among GO attributes with decision trees and Bayesian networks, using the annotations in the Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD) and in FlyBase as ..
- Considerations for the representation of meta-data for the support of structured data entry
A M van Ginneken
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Methods Inf Med 42:226-35. 2003
..e. the definition of what is relevant to say in a specific context. The objective of this paper is to provide considerations for an intuitive conceptual representation of such meta-data for domain experts...
- Computerization of guidelines: a knowledge specification method to convert text to detailed decision tree for electronic implementation
Angel Ricardo Aguirre-Junco
Public Health and Medical Informatics Department, Broussais Hotel Dieu University, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:115-9. 2004
..We use decision tables to validate the decision algorithm and decision trees to specify and represent this algorithm, along with elementary messages of recommendation...
- Diagnostic potential of serum proteomic patterns in prostate cancer
Lionel L Banez
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Armed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Urol 170:442-6. 2003
- A novel approach toward development of a rapid blood test for breast cancer
Department of Microbiology, and Virginia Prostate Center, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 4:203-9. 2003
..The combination of SELDI ProteinChip mass spectrometry and a classification- and regression-tree algorithm has the potential to use serum protein expression profiles for detection and diagnosis of breast cancer...
- Integrating classification trees with local logistic regression in Intensive Care prognosis
Department of Medical Informatics, AMC University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Artif Intell Med 29:5-23. 2003
..We pay special attention to the precision aspect of model performance and argue why precision is more important than discrimination ability...
- Genome-wide identification of genes likely to be involved in human genetic disease
Computational Genomics Group, The European Bioinformatics Institute, EMBL Cambridge Outstation, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 32:3108-14. 2004
..The probability score assignments for the human genome are accessible at http://maine.ebi. ac.uk:8000/services/dgp...