- Tracking of sedentary behaviours of young people: a systematic review
Stuart J H Biddle
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, UK
Prev Med 51:345-51. 2010
..To review the empirical evidence concerning the strength of tracking of sedentary behaviours from childhood and adolescence...
- Sedentary behaviour and obesity development in children and adolescents
Juan Pablo Rey-López
HELENA Study Group, School of Health Sciences, University of Zaragoza, Edificio Cervantes, 2nd Floor, C Corona de Aragón 42, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:242-51. 2008
Sedentary lifestyle patterns in children and adolescents, i.e. playing digital games, using computers and especially watching television, have been associated with obesity...
- Neck/shoulder, low back, and arm pain in relation to computer use, physical activity, stress, and depression among Dutch adolescents
A C M Diepenmaat
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Municipal Health Service, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 117:412-6. 2006
- Frequent computer-related activities increase the risk of neck-shoulder and low back pain in adolescents
Paula T Hakala
Tampere School of Public Health, FIN 33014 University of Tampere, Finland
Eur J Public Health 16:536-41. 2006
..We studied how the use of computers, the Internet, and mobile phones, playing digital games and viewing television are related to NSP and LBP in ..
- Clinical signs and physical function in neck and upper extremities among elderly female computer users: the NEW study
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:136-45. 2006
..Physical function tests should be further developed in order to be able to detect pre-stages of work-related disorders for preventive strategies...
- Television viewing, computer game playing, and Internet use and self-reported time to bed and time out of bed in secondary-school children
Jan Van den Bulck
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Sleep 27:101-4. 2004
- Atomic switch: atom/ion movement controlled devices for beyond von-neumann computers
WPI Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics MANA, National Institute for Materials Science NIMS, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Adv Mater 24:252-67. 2012
..Such atomic switch characteristics can not only improve the performance of present-day electronic systems, but also enable development of new types of electronic systems, such as beyond von- Neumann computers.
- Parent and child screen-viewing time and home media environment
Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Am J Prev Med 43:150-8. 2012
..Data on the predictors of youth screen-viewing time is predominately from older children in North America. Parental and home media environment factors that are associated with screen-viewing time could be targeted in interventions...
- "I'm on it 24/7 at the moment": a qualitative examination of multi-screen viewing behaviours among UK 10-11 year olds
Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, UK
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 8:85. 2011
..In this paper we used qualitative methods to assess the nature and extent of multiple forms of screen-viewing in UK children...
- Predicting children's media use in the USA: differences in cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis
Sook Jung Lee
Department of Mass Communication, Chung Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
Br J Dev Psychol 27:123-43. 2009
..Twenty-four hour time use diaries are used to assess children's time spent with media (television, video games, computers, and reading)...
- A prospective study of computer users: II. Postural risk factors for musculoskeletal symptoms and disorders
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Ind Med 41:236-49. 2002
..Despite widespread recommendations regarding posture during computer use, associations between specific postures and musculoskeletal health are not well characterized...
- Knowledge-based analysis of microarray gene expression data by using support vector machines
M P Brown
Department of Computer Science, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:262-7. 2000
..Finally, we use SVMs to predict functional roles for uncharacterized yeast ORFs based on their expression data...
- Can playing the computer game "Tetris" reduce the build-up of flashbacks for trauma? A proposal from cognitive science
Emily A Holmes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4153. 2009
..We predicted that playing "Tetris" half an hour after viewing trauma would reduce flashback frequency over 1-week...
- Television viewing, computer use, and BMI among U.S. children and adolescents
Janet E Fulton
Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Phys Act Health 6:S28-35. 2009
..To examine the prevalence of television (TV) viewing, computer use, and their combination and associations with demographic characteristics and body mass index (BMI) among U.S. youth...
- Fast algorithms for large-scale genome alignment and comparison
Arthur L Delcher
Department of Computer Science, Loyola College in Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 30:2478-83. 2002
..The system code is being made freely available by the authors...
- Relationship between screen time and metabolic syndrome in adolescents
Amy E Mark
School of Kinesiology and Health Studies, Queen s University, 69 Union Street, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Public Health (Oxf) 30:153-60. 2008
..The primary objective was to determine the dose-response relation between screen time (television + computer) and the metabolic syndrome (MetS) in adolescents...
- Overweight in children and adolescents associated with TV viewing and parental weight: Project HeartBeat!
Lyn M Steffen
School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South Second Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S50-5. 2009
..Parental obesity and TV viewing are risk factors for childhood obesity. This study assessed the association of children's TV viewing and computer use with body mass and examined whether parental weight status modified the association...
- Neuromuscular assessment in elderly workers with and without work related shoulder/neck trouble: the NEW-study design and physiological findings
National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:110-21. 2006
..The study was unable to reveal quantitative EMG indicators and functional tests that could objectively assess disorders in NS-cases...
- Feasibility and compliance of automated measurement of quality of life in oncology practice
E P Wright
Cancer Research UK, Clinical Centre in Leeds, St James s University Hospital, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Clin Oncol 21:374-82. 2003
..However, logistic problems are substantial. Automated systems solve many of these problems. We field-tested the feasibility and compliance that can be achieved using a computer touchscreen system in two consecutive studies...
- Searching for SNPs with cloud computing
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Genome Biol 10:R134. 2009
..Crossbow is available from http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/crossbow/...
- Stability and change in screen-based sedentary behaviours and associated factors among Norwegian children in the transition between childhood and adolescence
Mekdes K Gebremariam
Department of Nutrition, University of Oslo, Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 12:104. 2012
- An intelligent architecture based on Field Programmable Gate Arrays designed to detect moving objects by using Principal Component Analysis
Electronics Department, University Alcala, Escuela Politecnica, Campus Universitario, Ctra Madrid Barcelona km 33 6 28871, Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Sensors (Basel) 10:9232-51. 2010
..The proposal achieves a high ratio of processed images (up to 120 frames per second) and high quality segmentation results, with a completely embedded and reliable hardware architecture based on commercial CMOS sensors and FPGA devices...
- Effectiveness of interventions aimed at reducing screen time in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 165:979-86. 2011
..To evaluate the impact of interventions focused on reducing screen time...
- Profiles of sedentary behavior in children and adolescents: the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2006
Susan B Sisson
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:353-9. 2009
..To describe the prevalence of time spent in sedentary behaviors (e.g., TV/video and computer use) among youth in the US...
- Clinical decision support software for management of chronic heart failure: development and evaluation
Stephen J Leslie
Department of Cardiology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Comput Biol Med 36:495-506. 2006
..To develop and evaluate clinical decision support software (CDSS) to aid physicians treat patients with chronic heart failure (CHF)...
- Longitudinal associations of energy balance-related behaviours and cross-sectional associations of clusters and body mass index in Norwegian adolescents
Maria E van der Sluis
Department of Health Science, Institute of Health Sciences, VU University Amsterdam De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Public Health Nutr 13:1716-21. 2010
..Insight into the role of energy balance-related behaviours (EBRB) is of great importance when it comes to prevention of weight gain and design of interventions tailored to target these behaviours...
- Software-recorded and self-reported duration of computer use in relation to the onset of severe arm-wrist-hand pain and neck-shoulder pain
Research Centre on Physical Activity, Work and Health, TNO VU VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Occup Environ Med 68:502-9. 2011
..The objective of this study was to examine the association between duration of computer use at work, measured with software and self-reports, and the onset of severe arm-wrist-hand and neck-shoulder symptoms...
- Development and psychometric evaluation of a new instrument for measuring sleep length and television and computer habits of Swedish school-age children
School Health Care, Klostergårdsskolan, Lund, Sweden
J Sch Nurs 28:138-43. 2012
..600) regarding both sleep and media habits. The instrument can be a valuable tool in a clinical setting, both for measuring sleep habits in a class and for discussing sleep with individual school children and their families...
- The association between computer use and cognition across adulthood: use it so you won't lose it?
Patricia A Tun
Department of Psychology, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Psychol Aging 25:560-8. 2010
..These findings suggest that frequent computer activity is associated with good cognitive function, particularly executive control, across adulthood into old age, especially for those with lower intellectual ability...
- Effects of playing a computer game using a bright display on presleep physiological variables, sleep latency, slow wave sleep and REM sleep
Department of Public Health, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan
J Sleep Res 14:267-73. 2005
..These results suggest that playing an exciting computer game affects sleep latency and REM sleep but that a bright display does not affect sleep variables...
- Dose-response associations between screen time and overweight among youth
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Deakin University, Burwood Victoria, Australia
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:61-4. 2009
..To examine dose-response associations between screen time and overweight, independent of physical activity and dietary intake...
- Computer mouse use predicts acute pain but not prolonged or chronic pain in the neck and shoulder
J H Andersen
Johan Hviid Andersen, Department of Occupational Medicine, Herning Hospital, 7400 Herning, Denmark
Occup Environ Med 65:126-31. 2008
..Computer use may have an adverse effect on musculoskeletal outcomes. This study assessed the risk of neck and shoulder pain associated with objectively recorded professional computer use...
- A descriptive epidemiology of screen-based media use in youth: a review and critique
Simon J Marshall
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
J Adolesc 29:333-49. 2006
..For children with access to a television set, the number of hours spent viewing does not appear to have increased over the past 50 years...
- Consulting room computers and their effect on general practitioner-patient communication
Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research NIVEL, PO Box 1568, 3500 BN Utrecht, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 27:644-51. 2010
in the western medical world, computers form part of the standard equipment in the consulting rooms of most GPs. As the use of a computer requires time and attention from GPs, this may well interfere with the communication process...
- Using reconfigurable hardware to accelerate multiple sequence alignment with ClustalW
School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Bioinformatics 21:3431-2. 2005
..We present a new approach to compute multiple sequence alignments in far shorter time using reconfigurable hardware. This results in an implementation of ClustalW with significant runtime savings on a standard off-the-shelf FPGA...
- Computer work and musculoskeletal disorders of the neck and upper extremity: a systematic review
National Institute of Occupational Health, PO Box 8149 Dep, N 0033 Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:79. 2010
..This review examines the evidence for an association between computer work and neck and upper extremity disorders (except carpal tunnel syndrome)...
- Reliability and validity of a brief questionnaire to assess television viewing and computer use by middle school children
Kathryn H Schmitz
University of Minnesota, 1300 S 2nd St, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Sch Health 74:370-7. 2004
- GPU-BLAST: using graphics processors to accelerate protein sequence alignment
Panagiotis D Vouzis
Department of Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Bioinformatics 27:182-8. 2011
..Any improvement in the execution speed of BLAST would be of great importance in the practice of bioinformatics, and facilitate coping with ever increasing sizes of biomolecular databases...
- Loss of productivity due to neck/shoulder symptoms and hand/arm symptoms: results from the PROMO-study
Swenne G van den Heuvel
TNO Work and Employment, P O Box 718, 2130 AS, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
J Occup Rehabil 17:370-82. 2007
- A prospective study of computer users: I. Study design and incidence of musculoskeletal symptoms and disorders
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Ind Med 41:221-35. 2002
..A prospective study of computer users was performed to determine the occurrence of and evaluate risk factors for neck or shoulder (N/S) and hand or arm (H/A) musculoskeletal symptoms (MSS) and disorders (MSD)...
- Test-retest reliability and validity of self-reported duration of computer use at work
TNO VUmc, EMGO Institute, Van der Boechorststraat 7, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Scand J Work Environ Health 34:113-9. 2008
..The aims of this study were to evaluate the test-retest reliability and the validity of self-reported duration of computer use at work...
- Should we be concerned about children spending extended periods of time in sedentary pursuits even among the highly active?
Int J Pediatr Obes 3:66-8. 2008
- Screen-viewing behaviors among preschoolers parents' perceptions
Middlesex London Health Unit, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Prev Med 29:120-5. 2005
..Exploring young children's experiences with this modifiable behavior may be beneficial to the creation of a multifaceted program aimed at the primary prevention of obesity...
- Screen time among Canadian adults: a profile
Health Information and Research Division, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Health Rep 19:31-43. 2008
- Should office workers spend fewer hours at their computer? A systematic review of the literature
Department of Public and Occupational Health, Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Occup Environ Med 64:211-22. 2007
- Sociodemographic and home environment predictors of screen viewing among Spanish school children
Itziar Hoyos Cillero
Nursing I Department, Nursing University School, University of the Basque Country, Barrio Sarriena s n, Leioa, 48940 Biscay, Spain
J Public Health (Oxf) 33:392-402. 2011
..This study examined associations among environmental, sociocultural, age variables and screen viewing among Spanish children...
- Using patient-driven computers to provide cost-effective prevention in primary care: a conceptual framework
Anthony P Shakeshaft
National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia
Health Promot Int 18:67-77. 2003
This paper initially presents a rationale for the cost-effectiveness of using patient-driven computers in primary care services...
- Task-parallel message passing interface implementation of Autodock4 for docking of very large databases of compounds using high-performance super-computers
Department of Biochemistry and Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
J Comput Chem 32:1202-9. 2011
..In 24 h, on 8192 high-performance computing CPUs, the present MPI version would allow docking to a rigid protein of about 300K small flexible compounds or 11 million rigid compounds...
- Individual and social predictors of screen-viewing among Spanish school children
Itziar Hoyos Cillero
Nursing I Department, Nursing University School, University of Basque Country, Barrio Sarriena s n, Leioa 48940 Biscay, Spain
Eur J Pediatr 170:93-102. 2011
..Friends and parents play a central role, therefore understanding the dynamics of friends and targeting family influences may be critical to the success of interventions to reduce screen-viewing...
- A randomized trial of audio computer and in-person interview to assess HIV risk among drug and alcohol users in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Anna Azevedo Simoes
Health Department of the State Government of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Subst Abuse Treat 30:237-43. 2006
..ACASI seems to be a key resource in improving the reporting of sensitive data in Brazil, as it has been in prior international studies...
- Risk factors for persistent elbow, forearm and hand pain among computer workers
Christina F Lassen
Department of Occupational Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Glostrup, Nordre Ringvej, Glostrup, Denmark
Scand J Work Environ Health 31:122-31. 2005
..This study examined the influence of work-related and personal factors on the prognosis of "severe" elbow, forearm, and wrist-hand pain among computer users...
- Adolescent screen-viewing behaviour is associated with consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages: the role of habit strength and perceived parental norms
Stef P J Kremers
Department of Health Education and Health Promotion, Universiteit Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Appetite 48:345-50. 2007
..Consequences of the identified role of habit and parental norms in the interplay between sedentary behaviour and consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among adolescents are discussed...
- Assessing the physical loading of wearable computers
James F Knight
School of Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Appl Ergon 38:237-47. 2007
Wearable computers enable workers to interact with computer equipment in situations where previously they were unable. Attaching a computer to the body though has an unknown physical effect...
- Development of perfusion CT software for personal computers
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Gunma University Hospital, Japan
Acad Radiol 9:922-6. 2002
..authors developed software for creating quantitative maps of arterial and portal perfusion in the upper abdominal organs on personal computers. The image quality of these perfusion computed tomographic (CT) images was visually evaluated.
- Screen time, physical activity, and overweight in U.S. youth: national survey of children's health 2003
Susan B Sisson
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity Laboratory, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
J Adolesc Health 47:309-11. 2010
..Boys and girls who engage in low physical activity and high leisure time sedentary behavior are two times more likely to be overweight than more active, less sedentary children...
- Getting seamless care right from the beginning - integrating computers into the human interaction
Melbourne East General Practice Network, Melbourne, Australia
Stud Health Technol Inform 155:196-202. 2010
..Whilst there are many benefits to E-Health, there are also significant risks if computers are not adequately integrated into this interaction and accurate data are consequently not available on the ..
- The fault, dear viewer, lies not in the screens, but in ourselves: relationships between screen media and childhood overweight/obesity
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 58:1493-508, xii. 2011
..This article summarizes recent findings about associations between electronic screen media and childhood overweight/obesity, hypothesized mechanisms, and mediators. Recommendations are made for parents and clinicians...
- Screen time and risk behaviors in 10- to 16-year-old Canadian youth
School of Kinesiology and Health Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Prev Med 52:99-103. 2011
..To examine television, computer, and video game use as possible determinants of multiple risk behaviors (MRB) among Canadian youth...
- Knowledge and practices of ergonomics in computer users
Department of Physiology, Bahria University Medical and Dental College, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 62:213-7. 2012
..To assess knowledge and practices of ergonomics among desktop users of different professions...
- Older men who use computers have lower risk of dementia
Osvaldo P Almeida
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e44239. 2012
To determine if older men who use computers have lower risk of developing dementia.
- Games at work: the recreational use of computer games during working hours
Hamburg Media School, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Cyberpsychol Behav 12:461-5. 2009
..Implications of these findings for research on personal computer use during work and for games research in general are discussed...
- Crosswords to computers: a critical review of popular approaches to cognitive enhancement
Amy J Jak
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service and Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health CESAMH, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr 151B, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuropsychol Rev 23:13-26. 2013
..Despite these limitations, evidence suggests that computerized cognitive training has the potential to positively impact one's sense of social connectivity and self-efficacy...
- Use of tablet personal computers for sensitive patient-reported information
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Support Oncol 7:91-7. 2009
Notebook-style computers (e/Tablets) are increasingly replacing paper methods for collecting patient-reported information. Discrepancies in data between these methods have been found in oncology for sexuality-related questions...
- Environmental determinants of physical activity and sedentary behavior
University of Wollongong, Australia
Exerc Sport Sci Rev 28:153-8. 2000
..Past research has emphasized psychosocial determinants of physical activity. Progress in the field will require more focus on understanding sedentary behaviors and the role of environmental determinants...
- TV time but not computer time is associated with cardiometabolic risk in Dutch young adults
Teatske M Altenburg
Department of Public and Occupational Health, VU University Medical Center, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e57749. 2013
..We aim to examine the association of TV time and computer time separately with cardiometabolic biomarkers in young adults. Additionally, the mediating role of waist circumference (WC) is studied...
- Does computer use pose a hazard for future long-term sickness absence?
Johan H Andersen
Danish Ramazzini Centre, Department of Occupational Medicine, Herning Hospital, 7400 Herning, Denmark
J Negat Results Biomed 9:1. 2010
..We have earlier found that computer use did not predict persistent pain in the neck and upper limb, and it seems that computer use neither predicts future long-term sickness absence of all causes...
- Associations between diet and (in)activity behaviours with overweight and obesity among 10-18-year-old Czech Republic adolescents
Linda de Gouw
Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Department of Prevention and Public Health, Institute of Health Sciences, VU University, De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Public Health Nutr 13:1701-7. 2010
..To assess the prevalence of normal weight, overweight and obesity among 10-18-year-old Czech Republic adolescents and to assess the association between energy balance-related behaviours and overweight/obesity...
- Your brain on Google: patterns of cerebral activation during internet searching
Gary W Small
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences and Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:116-26. 2009
- Nurses and computers. An international perspective on nurses' requirements
Carol S Bond
Institute of Health and Community Studies, Bournemouth University, England
Stud Health Technol Inform 129:228-32. 2007
..The aim of the visit was to explore nurses' attitudes towards, and experiences of, using computers in their practice, and the requirements that they have to encourage, promote and support them in using ICT...
- Response time accuracy in Apple Macintosh computers
Psychology Department, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL, A1B 3X9, Canada
Behav Res Methods 43:353-62. 2011
The accuracy and variability of response times (RTs) collected on stock Apple Macintosh computers using USB keyboards was assessed...
- Association between neighborhood socioeconomic status and screen time among pre-school children: a cross-sectional study
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, E 488 Van Vliet Center, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G2H9, Canada
BMC Public Health 10:367. 2010
..source of sedentary behavior in children is time spent viewing TV or movies, playing video games, and using computers. To date no study has examined the impact of neighborhood socioeconomic status (SES) on pre-school children's ..
- Obesity and low vision as a result of excessive Internet use and television viewing
Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, Hamad Medical Corporation, Hamad General Hospital, Qatar
Int J Food Sci Nutr 62:60-2. 2011
..The study findings confirmed a positive association between obesity and low vision as a result of excessive time spent on the TV view and Internet use...
- Intentions of hospital nurses to work with computers: based on the theory of planned behavior
Department of Information Science, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 52900 Israel
Comput Inform Nurs 26:106-16. 2008
The purpose of this study was to determine registered nurses' attitudes related to intent to use computers in the hospital setting as a predictor of their future behavior...
- Simulation of cardiac electrophysiology on next-generation high-performance computers
Oxford University Computing Laboratory, University of Oxford, Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QD, UK
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 367:1951-69. 2009
..The challenge lies in the efficient implementation of adaptive algorithms on massively parallel computers. The finite-element (FE) method is often used in heart simulators as it can encapsulate the complex geometry and ..
- Screen time and physical violence in 10 to 16-year-old Canadian youth
School of Kinesiology and Health Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6, Canada
Int J Public Health 57:325-31. 2012
..To examine the independent associations between television, computer, and video game use with physical violence in youth...
- Effects of computer training and Internet usage on the well-being and quality of life of older adults: a randomized, controlled study
Institute of Brain and Behaviour, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 63:P176-84. 2008
..We collected data at baseline, after 4 months, and after 12 months. The results showed that using computers and the Internet neither positively nor negatively influenced everyday functioning, well-being and mood, and the ..
- Associations between physical activity of primary school first-graders during leisure time and family socioeconomic status
Institute for Biomedical Research, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 4, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 45:549-56. 2009
..Fewer first-graders from families living in villages than those living in cities attended sports or dancing clubs and played on a computer, but more of them spent leisure time outside...
- Initial Investigation of the relation between extended computer use and temporomandibular joint disorders
Department of Periodontology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NorthCarolina, USA
J Can Dent Assoc 74:643. 2008
..To determine if temporomandibular joint disorders (TMDs) are associated with extended computer use...
- Client acceptability of the use of computers in a sexual health clinic
R L Tideman
School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, 580 Swanston Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 17:121-3. 2006
b>Computers in sexual health medicine largely remain provider-centred for use in client care, data collection, administration and education...
- Television viewing, computer game play and book reading during meals are predictors of meal skipping in a cross-sectional sample of 12-, 14- and 16-year-olds
Leuven School for Mass Communication Research and Leuven Food Science and Nutrition Research Centre LFoRCe, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Public Health Nutr 13:537-43. 2010
..To examine whether television viewing, computer game playing or book reading during meals predicts meal skipping with the aim of watching television, playing computer games or reading books (media meal skipping)...
- A distributed architecture for activating the peripheral nervous system
DEMAR team, INRIA LIRMM, 161 rue Ada, 34392 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Neural Eng 6:026001. 2009
..It provides a powerful research device to determine the optimal, least aggressive and the most efficient way to activate the peripheral nervous system using an implanted FES system that is less invasive than other existing devices...
- Media use as a reason for meal skipping and fast eating in secondary school children
J Van den Bulck
The Leuven School for Mass Communication Research, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Van Evenstraat 2A, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Hum Nutr Diet 19:91-100. 2006
..This study examined self-reported meal skipping and eating faster than usual with the goal of watching television or playing computer games...
- Adolescent screen time and attachment to parents and peers
Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, Dunedin Medical School, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand 9015
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:258-62. 2010
..To examine associations between screen time (television, video or DVD, gaming, and computer use) and attachment to parents and peers in 2 cohorts of adolescents 16 years apart...
- Exploring the early steps of amyloid peptide aggregation by computers
Departement de Physique and Regroupement quebecois sur les materiaux de pointe, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acc Chem Res 38:885-91. 2005
..We focus here on the structural and dynamic aspects of the aggregation as observed in state-of-the-art computer simulations of amyloid-forming peptides with an emphasis on the activation-relaxation technique...
- Mobile telephones, computers, and the internet: sex differences in adolescents' use and attitudes
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Cyberpsychol Behav 10:482-4. 2007
..No sex differences were reported for either general mobile phone use or expertise, although analysis of specific aspects of use indicated that the sexes favored different phone activities...
- Effects of an active ergonomics training program on risk exposure, worker beliefs, and symptoms in computer users
Brenda L Greene
Division of Physical Therapy, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Work 24:41-52. 2005
..Two constructs from the social-cognitive theory were adopted to provide a more comprehensive assessment of the proximal markers of behavior change...
- High-throughput sequence alignment using Graphics Processing Units
Michael C Schatz
Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 8:474. 2007
- Computer-based quality of life questionnaires may contribute to doctor-patient interactions in oncology
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Cancer Medicine Research Unit, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Br J Cancer 86:51-9. 2002
..Having symptoms and functional problems expressed quantitatively on a scale was useful for detection of change over time...
- Associations between sedentary behavior and blood pressure in young children
Department of Kinesiology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163:724-30. 2009
..To examine the effect of sedentary behavior on blood pressure (BP) in young children using different indicators of sedentariness...
- Television, computer use, physical activity, diet and fatness in Australian adolescents
University of Western Australia, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital Unit
Int J Pediatr Obes 1:248-55. 2006
..To examine sedentary behaviours (including television viewing, playing computer games and computer use), diet, exercise and fitness in relation to overweight/obesity in Australian adolescents...
- Computer users' risk factors for developing shoulder, elbow and back symptoms
National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Work Environ Health 30:390-8. 2004
..This prospective study concentrated on determining factors of computer work that predict musculoskeletal symptoms in the shoulder, elbow, and low-back regions...
- A comparison of the reliability of self-reported drug use and sexual behaviors using computer-assisted versus face-to-face interviewing
M L Williams
Behavioral Research Group, Houston, TX, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 12:199-213. 2000
..However, bias was found to be associated with data collection format and may be partially attributable to the complexity of the questionnaire...
- General practitioners' use of computers for prescribing and electronic health records: results from a national survey
D Keith McInnes
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA mcinnesAThcp med harvard edu
Med J Aust 185:88-91. 2006
To describe how general practitioners use computers for clinical purposes.
- Identification of priorities for medication safety in neonatal intensive care
Desiree L Kunac
School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Drug Saf 28:251-61. 2005
..The aim of this study was to identify and prioritize potential failures in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) medication use process through application of FMEA...
- Computer-based testing: initial report of extensive use in a medical school curriculum
Michael W Peterson
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, USA
Teach Learn Med 16:51-9. 2004
..Computer-based digital technology offers many opportunities in medical education. One type of digital technology, computer-based testing (CBT), has potentially wide application in undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education...
- Computer work duration and its dependence on the used pause definition
Janneke M Richter
Department of Neuroscience, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 50, P O Box 2040, NL 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Appl Ergon 39:772-8. 2008
..Software manufacturers and ergonomists assessing computer work duration could use the found relationships for software design and study comparison...
- Modifiable characteristics associated with sedentary behaviours among youth
Scott T Leatherdale
Division of Preventive Oncology, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto ON, Canada, M5G 2L7
Int J Pediatr Obes 3:93-101. 2008
..Childhood overweight and obesity is a major public health issue. A better understanding of factors associated with sedentary behaviours would provide valuable insight for tailoring interventions to prevent or reduce overweight among youth...
- Variable size computer-aided detection prompts and mammography film reader decisions
Fiona J Gilbert
Division of Applied Medicine, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Aberdeen, Lilian Sutton Building, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Breast Cancer Res 10:R72. 2008
- Risk factors for generally reduced productivity--a prospective cohort study of young adults with neck or upper-extremity musculoskeletal symptoms
Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Göteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Work Environ Health 34:120-32. 2008
- Accuracy of audio computer-assisted self-interviewing (ACASI) and self-administered questionnaires for the assessment of sexual behavior
School of Nursing, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
AIDS Behav 10:541-52. 2006
..Choice of assessment mode and frequency should be based upon the research question(s), population, resources, and context in which data collection will occur...
- Modeling and simulation of hepatic drug disposition using a physiologically based, multi-agent in silico liver
The UCSF UCB Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Pharm Res 25:1023-36. 2008
..Validate a physiologically based, mechanistic, in silico liver (ISL) for studying the hepatic disposition and metabolism of antipyrine, atenolol, labetalol, diltiazem, and sucrose administered alone or in combination...