Summary: Copies of a work or document distributed to the public by sale, rental, lease, or lending. (From ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science, 1983, p181)
Publications211 found, 100 shown here
- Finding order in heterogeneity: types of quality-improvement intervention publicationsL V Rubenstein
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System at Sepulveda, North Hills, CA 91343, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 17:403-8. 2008..The diversity of perspectives, approaches, and contexts critical to advancing quality improvement science, however, creates challenges. The paper explores the heterogeneity in clinical quality improvement intervention (QII) publications.
- Effectively incorporating selected multimedia content into medical publicationsAlexander Ziegler
Institut für Immungenetik, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
BMC Med 9:17. 2011Until fairly recently, medical publications have been handicapped by being restricted to non-electronic formats, effectively preventing the dissemination of complex audiovisual and three-dimensional data...
- Extent of publication bias in different categories of research cohorts: a meta-analysis of empirical studiesFujian Song
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Earlham Road, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:79. 2009..We conducted a meta-analysis to ascertain the strength and consistency of the association between study results and formal publication...
- Publications as an indicator of increased tobacco control research productivity (quantity and quality) in New ZealandAnette Kira
Centre for Tobacco Control Research, School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nicotine Tob Res 13:474-8. 2011..of this paper was to investigate New Zealand's (NZ) TC research capacity along with the quantity and quality of publications, following two government initiatives aimed, in part, at improving the quantity and quality of NZ TC research.
- Looking for landmarks: the role of expert review and bibliometric analysis in evaluating scientific publication outputsLiz Allen
Wellcome Trust, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e5910. 2009..To compare expert assessment with bibliometric indicators as tools to assess the quality and importance of scientific research papers...
- From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems researchSara Bennett
Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 372:1571-8. 2008..Recommendations from the summit in Mexico remain pertinent, and momentum towards their achievement must be accelerated through the ministerial forum in Mali and beyond...
- A comparison of subgroup analyses in grant applications and publicationsChantal W B Boonacker
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 174:219-25. 2011In this paper, the authors compare subgroup analyses as outlined in grant applications and their related publications. Grants awarded by the Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw) from 2001 onward that were ..
- Generalized anxiety disorder publications: where do we stand a decade later?Michel J Dugas
Department of Psychology, Concordia University, Canada
J Anxiety Disord 24:780-4. 2010..show: (1) that with the exception of panic disorder, there was a significant increase in the annual rate of publications for every anxiety disorder; (2) that GAD had the second lowest annual rate of publications in every year - with ..
- Toward an automatic method for extracting cancer- and other disease-related point mutations from the biomedical literatureEmily Doughty
University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
Bioinformatics 27:408-15. 2011..We introduce a high-throughput computational method for the identification of relevant disease mutations in PubMed abstracts applied to prostate (PCa) and breast cancer (BCa) mutations...
- Positive outcomes influence the rate and time to publication, but not the impact factor of publications of clinical trial resultsPilar Suñé
Pharmacy Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 8:e54583. 2013..The aim of this study is to assess whether research outcomes affect the dissemination of clinical trial findings, in terms of rate, time to publication, and impact factor of journal publications.
- RAMESES publication standards: meta-narrative reviewsGeoff Wong
Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
BMC Med 11:20. 2013..This publication standard was developed as part of the RAMESES (Realist And MEta-narrative Evidence Syntheses: Evolving Standards) project. The project's aim is to produce preliminary publication standards for meta-narrative reviews...
- RAMESES publication standards: realist synthesesGeoff Wong
Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
BMC Med 11:21. 2013..This standard was developed as part of the RAMESES (Realist And MEta-narrative Evidence Syntheses: Evolving Standards) project. The project's aim is to produce preliminary publication standards for realist systematic reviews...
- Analysis of sex and gender-specific research reveals a common increase in publications and marked differences between disciplinesSabine Oertelt-Prigione
Institute of Gender in Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
BMC Med 8:70. 2010..However, generations of knowledge and publication trends in this discipline are currently spread over distinct specialties and are difficult to analyze comparatively...
- Scientific publications in critical care medicine journals from Chinese authors: a 10-year survey of the literatureZhi Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
J Trauma 69:E20-3. 2010..The research contribution in critical care medicine among Chinese individuals in the three major regions of China--Mainland (ML), Hong Kong (HK), and Taiwan (TW)--is unknown...
- Reporting of ethical issues in publications of medical researchFranklin G Miller
Department of Clinical Bioethics, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1156, USA
Lancet 360:1326-8. 2002..We recommend a policy of extensive reporting of pertinent ethical issues to promote public accountability for clinical research. Guidelines are presented, and possible objections to this recommended policy are addressed...
- Adverse event reporting in cancer clinical trial publicationsShanthi Sivendran
Shanthi Sivendran, Lancaster General Health, Lancaster, PA Asma Latif, Russell B McBride, Kristian D Stensland, Juan Wisnivesky, Lindsay Haines, William K Oh, Matthew D Galsky, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Mount Sinai, NY
J Clin Oncol 32:83-9. 2014..The degree to which these recommendations are followed in oncology publications has not been comprehensively evaluated.
- A substantial number of scientific publications originate from non-university hospitalsJens Fedder
Scientific Unit, Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Horsens Hospital, Denmark
Dan Med Bull 58:A4332. 2011..As we found no recent published reports on the amount and kind of research published from Danish hospitals without university affiliation, we have found it relevant to conduct a bibliometric survey disclosing these research activities...
- A systematic review of publications assessing reliability and validity of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), 2004-2011Carol Pierannunzi
Division of Behavioral Surveillance, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:49. 2013..As the BRFSS makes changes in its methods of sampling and weighting, a review of reliability and validity studies of the BRFSS is needed...
- Result publication of Chinese trials in World Health Organization primary registriesXuemei Liu
Chinese Journal of Evidence Based Medicine, West China Periodicals Press, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
PLoS ONE 5:e12676. 2010..Result publication is the key step to improve the transparency of clinical trials...
- Dermatological publications in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries. An analysis of 1966-2004 Medline papersFahad M Al-Aboud
Statistics Department, College of Science, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:1652-5. 2004To investigate the publications in dermatology cited in the Medline from 6 countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) from 1966 to 2004.
- Latin American nephrology: scientific production and impact of the publicationsJ R Weisinger
Division of Nephrology, Hopsital Universitario de Caracas, Universidad Central de Venezuela
Kidney Int 56:1584-90. 1999..However, in less developed countries, budget restrictions and the lack of policies toward research may determine a limited growth of the scientific production...
- Evaluating the quality of longitudinal statistical applications in original publications on Alzheimer's diseaseChengjie Xiong
Division of Biostatistics, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Neuroepidemiology 30:112-9. 2008..To evaluate the quality of longitudinal statistical applications in published studies on Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- An online tutorial for helping nonscience majors read primary research literature in biologyChristopher M Gillen
Department of Biology, Kenyon College, Gambler, OH 43022, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 28:95-9. 2004..Students used the tutorial outside of class to learn the basic principles involved in reading scientific papers, enabling class sessions to focus on active-learning activities and substantive class discussions...
- Scientific publications in gastroenterology and hepatology in Western Europe, USA and Japan in the years 1992-1996: a global surveyD Sorrentino
Gastrointestinal Unit Internal Medicine, Department of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, University of Udine, Italy
Digestion 61:77-83. 2000To evaluate number and quality of publications in gastroenterology, hepatology and digestive endoscopy from Western Europe (Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland), Japan and ..
- Conflict of interest in oncology publications: a survey of disclosure policies and statementsAaron S Kesselheim
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Cancer 118:188-95. 2012..The authors sought to define current disclosure policies and how they relate to disclosure statements provided by authors in major oncology journals...
- Ten-year survey on oncology publications from China and other top-ranking countriesXiang Yi Liu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100730, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 124:3314-9. 2011..Over the past decade, oncology research had developed rapidly worldwide. The aim of this study was to evaluate the publication characteristics in oncology journals from China and other top-ranking countries...
- Scientific publications on primary biliary cirrhosis from 2000 through 2010: an 11-year survey of the literatureBaodong Qin
Department of Laboratory Diagnostics, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e35366. 2012..To evaluate the development of PBC research during the past 11 years, we determined the quantity and quality of articles on this subject. We also compared the contributions of scientists from the US, UK, Japan, Italy, Germany, and China...
- Is Primatology an equal-opportunity discipline?Elsa Addessi
Unità di Primatologia Cognitiva, Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e30458. 2012..Furthermore, when analyzing gender difference in scientific productivity in relation to the name order in the publications, it emerged that the scientific achievements of female primatologists (in terms of number and type of ..
- Finding translational science publications in MEDLINE/PubMed with translational science filtersPaul Fontelo
National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Transl Sci 4:455-9. 2011..Using previously searched terms and standard formulas, the precision and recall of TSS were 0.99 and 0.47, compared to 0.58 and 1.0 for PubMed Entrez, respectively...
- The quality of quality of life publications in the spinal literature: are we getting any better?John Street
Combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spine Program, Vancouver Hospitals and Health Sciences Center, and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Neurosurg Spine 11:512-7. 2009..This study is a systematic review of the quality of life (QOL) publications to determine if the recent interest in QOL measurements following spinal surgery has been accompanied by an ..
- Role of a research ethics committee in follow-up and publication of resultsJudit Pich
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 361:1015-6. 2003..RECs should devote more effort and resources to assess public dissemination of results of clinical trials...
- Does the H index have predictive power?J E Hirsch
Department of Physics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0319, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19193-8. 2007..We discuss reasons for the superiority of the h index...
- NLProt: extracting protein names and sequences from papersSven Mika
CUBIC, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, 650 West 168th Street BB217, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:W634-7. 2004..bioc.columbia.edu/services/NLProt/). Input can be PubMed/MEDLINE identifiers, authors, titles and journals, as well as collections of abstracts, or entire papers...
- MutationFinder: a high-performance system for extracting point mutation mentions from textJ Gregory Caporaso
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Bioinformatics 23:1862-5. 2007..We present an open-source, rule-based system, MutationFinder, for extracting point mutation mentions from text. On blind test data, it achieves nearly perfect precision and a markedly improved recall over a baseline...
- Does the committee peer review select the best applicants for funding? An investigation of the selection process for two European molecular biology organization programmesLutz Bornmann
Social Psychology and Research on Higher Education, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 3:e3480. 2008..If quantity and impact of research publications are used as a criterion for scientific achievement, the results of (zero-truncated) negative binomial models ..
- Automatic categorization of diverse experimental information in the bioscience literatureRuihua Fang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Biology Division, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 13:16. 2012..This approach has great significance because for some data types, especially those of low occurrence, a single corpus often does not have enough training papers to achieve satisfactory performance...
- Protein structures and information extraction from biological texts: the PASTA systemR Gaizauskas
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, UK
Bioinformatics 19:135-43. 2003....
- Outcome selection bias in meta-analysisP R Williamson
Centre for Medical Statistics and Health Evaluation, Shelley s Cottage, Brownlow Street, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GS, UK
Stat Methods Med Res 14:515-24. 2005....
- SciMiner: web-based literature mining tool for target identification and functional enrichment analysisJunguk Hur
Bioinformatics Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Bioinformatics 25:838-40. 2009..8% F-measure. SciMiner's literature mining performance coupled with functional enrichment analyses provides an efficient platform for retrieval and summary of rich biological information from corpora of users' interests...
- eTBLAST: a web server to identify expert reviewers, appropriate journals and similar publicationsMounir Errami
McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development and the Department for Translational Research, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9185, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:W12-5. 2007..These services are freely accessible through the Internet at http://invention.swmed.edu/etblast/etblast.shtml, where users can upload a file or paste text such as an abstract into the browser interface...
- Through gender parity in scientific publicationsMaría Luisa Jiménez-Rodrigo
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:474-5. 2008
- Linking publication, gene and protein dataPaul Kersey
EMBL European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Nat Cell Biol 8:1183-9. 2006....
- Redundant surgical publications: tip of the iceberg?M Schein
Department of Surgery, New York Methodist Hospital and Cornell University Medical College, 516 Sixth St, Brooklyn, NY 11215, USA
Surgery 129:655-61. 2001A redundant publication is one which duplicates previous, simultaneous, or future publications by the same author or group or, alternatively, could have been combined with the latter into one paper...
- Repetitive, duplicate, and redundant publications: a review for authors and readersClaire Johnson
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:505-9. 2006Repetitive, duplicate, and redundant publications are an important concern in the scientific literature. Their occurrence affects science and carries with it sanctions of consequence...
- Geography of biomedical publicationsWasim Maziak
Lancet 363:490. 2004
- Concept-based query expansion for retrieving gene related publications from MEDLINESergio Matos
Institute of Electronics and Telematics Engineering of Aveiro IEETA, University of Aveiro, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
BMC Bioinformatics 11:212. 2010..methods for gene analysis have contributed to an exponential increase in the number of scientific publications in these fields of study...
- Funding food science and nutrition research: financial conflicts and scientific integritySylvia Rowe
SR Strategy LLC, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1285-91. 2009..the freedom and obligation to attempt to publish the findings within some specified time frame; 5) require, in publications and conference presentations, full signed disclosure of all financial interests; 6) not participate in ..
- Is there equity of service delivery and intermediate outcomes in South Asians with type 2 diabetes? Analysis of DARTS database and summary of UK publicationsC M Fischbacher
Information Services Division, NHS National Services Scotland, Edinburgh EH12 9EB, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 31:239-49. 2009..There are doubts whether diabetes care is equitable across UK ethnic groups. We examined processes and outcomes in South Asians with diabetes and reviewed the UK literature...
- Balance between education- and research-oriented publications from a Brazilian University HospitalK Mendonça de Araujo
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 38:1285-91. 2005..A total of 1420 publications were classified according to pattern and visibility...
- HEALTH GeoJunction: place-time-concept browsing of health publicationsAlan M MacEachren
GeoVISTA Center, Department of Geography, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Int J Health Geogr 9:23. 2010The volume of health science publications is escalating rapidly. Thus, keeping up with developments is becoming harder as is the task of finding important cross-domain connections...
- Utopia documents: linking scholarly literature with research dataT K Attwood
School of Computer Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Bioinformatics 26:i568-74. 2010..The need for intelligent tools to bridge this gap, to rescue the knowledge being systematically isolated in literature and data silos, is now widely acknowledged...
- B.E.A.R. GeneInfo: a tool for identifying gene-related biomedical publications through user modifiable queriesGuohui Zhou
Department of Pathology and Bioinformatics Program, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 53226, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 5:46. 2004..In these situations having a tool for searching the biomedical literature using the list of identified genes while simultaneously defining additional search terms would be useful...
- Automatic document classification of biological literatureDavid Chen
Division of Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 7:370. 2006..This project investigates document classification in the context of biological literature, making use of the Textpresso markup of a corpus of Caenorhabditis elegans literature...
- Mapping the literature of nursing informaticsJohanna T Guenther
Mabel Peters Caruth Learning Resources Center, Louise Herrington School of Nursing, Baylor University, 3700 Worth Street, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E92-8. 2006..It identified core journals in nursing informatics and the journals referenced in them and analyzed coverage of those journals in selected indexes...
- From presentation to publication: the natural history of orthopaedic abstracts in the United KingdomE Guryel
Department of Orthopaedics, Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK
Postgrad Med J 82:70-2. 2006..Up to 63% of the chapters in major orthopaedic textbooks use the results from abstracts that have been presented at international orthopaedic meetings...
- Reducing workload in systematic review preparation using automated citation classificationA M Cohen
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 S W Sam Jackson Park Road, Mail Code BICC, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:206-19. 2006..To determine whether automated classification of document citations can be useful in reducing the time spent by experts reviewing journal articles for inclusion in updating systematic reviews of drug class efficacy for treatment of disease...
- A national survey of provisions in clinical-trial agreements between medical schools and industry sponsorsKevin A Schulman
Center for Clinical and Genetic Economics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1335-41. 2002..It is unclear whether research conducted at academic institutions adheres to these new standards...
- Text mining and its potential applications in systems biologySophia Ananiadou
School of Computer Science, National Centre for Text Mining, The Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, The University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7ND, UK
Trends Biotechnol 24:571-9. 2006..By adding meaning to text, these techniques produce a more structured analysis of textual knowledge than simple word searches, and can provide powerful tools for the production and analysis of systems biology models...
- Time to publication as full reports of abstracts of randomized controlled trials in cystic fibrosisK Cheng
Respiratory Unit, Alder Hey Children s Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 26:101-5. 1998....
- Commentary: practicing on the tip of an information iceberg? Evidence of underpublication of registered clinical trials in oncologyScott Ramsey
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Oncologist 13:925-9. 2008..We evaluated the proportion of registered trials that are published in the peer-reviewed literature...
- Publications by students doing a year of full-time research: what are realistic expectations?Benjamin L Cohen
Department of Medical Education, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Am J Med 121:545-8. 2008
- Enhanced semantic access to the protein engineering literature using ontologies populated by text miningRene Witte
Institute for Program Structures and Data Organization IPD, Faculty of Informatics, Universitat Karlsruhe TH, Germany
Int J Bioinform Res Appl 3:389-413. 2007..We demonstrate the feasibility of this approach with a system targeting the protein mutation literature...
- Bibliometric analysis of radiation oncology departmental scholarly publication productivity at domestic residency training institutionsClifton D Fuller
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 6:112-8. 2009..The authors sought to estimate long-term and current departmental research efforts at residency-sponsoring US radiation oncology departments, using modifications of established bibliometric indices...
- Tough mining: the challenges of searching the scientific literatureSteven Dickman
PLoS Biol 1:E48. 2003
- Oncological research overview in the European Union. A 5-year surveyD Ugolini
CilNews Group, Italy
Eur J Cancer 39:1888-94. 2003..Variety in the use of keywords should be avoided, and journal editors should encourage their standardisation...
- Trends in malaria research in 11 Asian Pacific countries: an analysis of peer-reviewed publications over two decadesFinn Andersen
Global Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research, Casuarina, NT 0811, Australia
Malar J 10:131. 2011..The purpose of the study is to characterize trends in malaria-related literature from 1990 to 2009 in 11 Asian-Pacific countries that are committed to malaria elimination as a national goal...
- Publication trends in the medical informatics literature: 20 years of "Medical Informatics" in MeSHJonathan P Deshazo
Department of Medical Education and Biomedical Informatics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7240, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 9:7. 2009....
- A tool for gene expression based PubMed search through combining data sourcesMaksym Korotkiy
Division of Computer Science, VU University Medical Center, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Bioinformatics 20:1980-2. 2004..By combining information from UniGene and SWISS-PROT, microGENIE obtains information on the biological relevance of expressed genes, as identified by micro-array experiments, with minimal user intervention and time investment...
- Changes in the number of resident publications after inception of the 80-hour work weekSurena Namdari
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, 2 Silverstein, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:2278-83. 2010..In particular, it is unclear whether implementation of work-hour restrictions has influenced resident academic performance as defined by quantity of peer-reviewed publications while participating in graduate medical education.
- To give or not to give? That is the questionAthanasios Theologis
Plant Gene Expression Center, Albany, California 94710, USA
Plant Physiol 135:4-9. 2004
- LAITOR--Literature Assistant for Identification of Terms co-Occurrences and RelationshipsAdriano Barbosa-Silva
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 11:70. 2010..Therefore, the study of the current literature about a selected topic deposited in public databases, facilitates the generation of novel hypotheses associating a set of bioentities to a common context...
- Tracking publication outcomes of National Institutes of Health grantsBenjamin G Druss
Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Med 118:658-63. 2005..This study examines when and how grants funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) lead to publications.
- Declining critical care research publications by authors from U.S. Institutions, 1990-1999D J Powner
Critical Care Medicine, Rutland Regional Medical Center, Rutland, Vermont 05701, USA
Acad Med 76:1261-3. 2001..S. versus non-U.S.) through a review of these publications. RESULTS: The proportion of authorship by investigators from U.S...
- Misrepresentation of research publications among orthopaedic surgery fellowship applicants: a comparison with documented misrepresentations in other fieldsFrank J Eismont
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL
Spine (Phila Pa 1986) 28:631. 2003
- NHMRC grant applications: a comparison of "track record" scores allocated by grant assessors with bibliometric analysis of publicationsMarcus B Nicol
Clinical Trials, National Stroke Research Institute, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 187:348-52. 2007....
- Mapping the literature of nurse practitionersMarie Lise Antoun Shams
University of Detroit Mercy Dental Library, 8200 West Outer Drive, Detroit, Michigan 48219 3580, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E114-21. 2006..This study was designed to identify core journals for the nurse practitioner specialty and to determine the extent of their indexing in bibliographic databases...
- Publication visibility of sensitive public health data: when scientists bury their resultsDavid A Rier
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Bar Ilan University, Israel
Sci Eng Ethics 10:597-613. 2004..Several practical limitations (particularly involving broader access to scientific literature via the Internet) of the strategy of burial are discussed, and some recommendations are offered for scientists, the media, and the public...
- For randomized controlled trials, the quality of reports of complementary and alternative medicine was as good as reports of conventional medicineTerry P Klassen
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 58:763-8. 2005....
- Ethics and scientific publicationDale J Benos
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0005, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 29:59-74. 2005..A series of discussion questions follow each case. It is our hope that by increasing education and awareness of ethical matters relevant to scientific investigation and publication, deviations from appropriate conduct will be reduced...
- Analysis of New Zealand's research productivity in ophthalmology and vision science: 1993-2002Jo Anne M C Pon
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:607-13. 2004..To assess New Zealand's research productivity in the area of ophthalmology and vision science over the decade 1993-2002...
- Mapping the literature of maternal-child/gynecologic nursingSusan Kaplan Jacobs
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, New York University, 70 Washington Square, South New York, New York 10012, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E56-64. 2006....
- The best preparation for a scientist job searchGrace H W Wong
Nat Biotechnol 23:265. 2005
- Mapping the literature of nursing: 1996-2000Margaret Peg Allen
Peg Allen, Library Consultant, P O Box 2, 308 Kann Stratford, Wisconsin 54484 0002, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:206-20. 2006..This overview summarizes eighteen studies covering general nursing and sixteen specialties...
- Mapping the literature of home health nursingYelena Friedman
Staten Island University Hospital 475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island, New York 10305, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E49-55. 2006..The study was part of the project for mapping the nursing literature of the Medical Library Association's Nursing and Allied Health Resource Section...
- Mapping the literature of medical-surgical nursingMary K Taylor
Library Affairs, Morris Library Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 605 Agriculture Drive, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E65-73. 2006..Several excellent qualitative aids exist for collection development for this field, but quantitative studies are few. While one bibliometric study of journals exists, no recent work had been done in this area...
- Mapping the literature of nephrology nursingMelody M Allison
Biology Library, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 101 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E74-9. 2006..It is one component of a broader study, "Mapping the Literature of Nursing," by the Medical Library Association's Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section Task Force to Map the Literature of Nursing...
- Mapping the literature of nurse-midwiferyHelen J Seaton
Arizona State University Noble Science and Engineering Library, P O Box 871006 Tempe, Arizona 85287 1006, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E80-6. 2006..This article is part of a project for mapping the literature of nursing. The purpose is to identify the core journals in nurse-midwifery and to determine the extent to which these titles are covered by standard indexing sources...
- Mapping the literature of nursing administrationCarol J Galganski
Library and Resource Center, OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, 530 Northeast Glen Oak Avenue, Peoria, Illinois 61637, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E87-91. 2006..The results of this study will assist librarians and end users searching for information related to this nursing discipline, as well as database producers who might consider adding specific titles to their indexing services...
- Mapping the literature of athletic trainingFrances A Delwiche
Dana Medical Library, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 95:195-201. 2007..This paper identifies the core literature of athletic training and determines which major databases provide the most thorough intellectual access to this literature...
- Mapping the literature of case management nursingPamela White
University of Rochester Medical Center, Health Sciences Libraries and Technologies, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E99-106. 2006..The study identifies core journals cited in case management literature and indexing services that access those journals...
- How to establish a first-class international scientific journal in China?Zhen Xi Li
Shanxi Provincial Academy of Soft Sciences, No 1 Building, Binhe East Road District, Taiyuan 030002, Shanxi Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:6905-8. 2006..It is recommended that the effective resolution to the above issue is to learn from Chinese examples such as WJG rather than from "how foreign journals do"...
- Mapping the general literature of American nursingMargaret Peg Allen
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E43-8. 2006....
- Mapping the literature of transcultural nursingSharon C Murphy
Health Sciences Library, State University of New York at Buffalo, 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E143-51. 2006..This paper describes a citation analysis as part of the project undertaken by the Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section of the Medical Library Association to map the literature of nursing...
- HIV/AIDS in Nigeria: a bibliometric analysisOlalekan A Uthman
Center for Evidence Based Global Health, Save the Youth Initiative, Nigeria
BMC Infect Dis 8:19. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyse the trends in Nigeria's SCI publications in HIV/AIDS from 1980 to 2006...
- Mapping the literature of emergency nursingKristine M Alpi
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E107-13. 2006..This study is part of the Medical Library Association's Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section's project to map the nursing literature...
- A bibliometric analysis of global clinical research by anesthesia departmentsMadhav Swaminathan
Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1741-6, table of contents. 2007..We examined global clinical research attributed to anesthesia departments using Medline and Ovid databases. We also investigated the impact of economic development on national academic productivity...
- Retrospective bibliometric review of rural health research: Australia's contribution and other trendsRick McLean
School of Rural Health, University of Sydney, Australia
Rural Remote Health 7:767. 2007..As the existence of the discrete specialty of rural health (RH) is gaining acceptability worldwide, publications about RH issues are increasing in prevalence...
- Mapping the literature of nursing educationMargaret Peg Allen
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E122-7. 2006....
- The relevance and recognition of Latin American science. Introduction to the fourth issue of CBP-Latin AmericaMarcelo Hermes-Lima
Oxyradical Research Group, Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, 70910 900, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 146:1-9. 2007Although the number of science and engineering (S&E) publications produced in Latin America grew exponentially over the past 15 years, the investment in science and the number of full time researchers did not grow at a comparable rate...
- Mapping the literature of pediatric nursingMary K Taylor
Library Affairs Southern Illinois University, Carbondale Morris Library, 605 Agriculture Drive, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E128-36. 2006..Selection tools for librarians serving this group are available, but only one bibliometric analysis has examined citations to aid collection development...
- Mapping the literature of rehabilitation nursingMark A Spasser
Robert B Greenblatt, MD, Library Medical College of Georgia, 1459 Laney Walker Boulevard, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E137-42. 2006..This paper describes a citation analysis of the literature of rehabilitation nursing, conducted as part of the Medical Library Association's Nursing and Allied Health Section's the "Mapping the Literature of Nursing Project."..
- Statistics in Alzheimer's PublicationsChengjie Xiong; Fiscal Year: 2007..AD) and to assess the statistical applications and the quality of longitudinal statistical methodologies in AD publications over time...
- MIGRATION, CONTRACEPTION, AND SOCIAL NETWORKSBarbara Entwisle; Fiscal Year: 2001..Prosposed statistical techniques take account of selectivity and patterns of clustering ..
- Truth Telling in OncologyLisa Lehmann; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on our analysis of the process and content of communication we will develop and pilot interventions to improve the process of information giving and decision-making in oncology. ..
- BEYOND STIGMA--INTERPRETING GENETIC DIFFERENCEPamela Sankar; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Chronic Illness Exercise Interventions: A Meta-AnalysisVicki Conn; Fiscal Year: 2004..The compelling importance and broad scope of this work make funding necessary to achieve these important aims. ..
- Clinical Predictors of Antiretroviral FailureDaniel Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- EMERGING ISSUES IN CRIMINAL FORENSIC GENETICSPAMELA L SANKAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..While potentially useful to law enforcement, this technology could fundamentally alter the role of genetics in law enforcement and negatively influence public trust in genetics generally. ..
- Extending Social Skills Training for Children Through Interactive TechnologyMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Meta-Analysis of Interventions to Increase Exercise/Physical AcivityVicki Conn; Fiscal Year: 2009..The compelling importance and broad scope of this work make funding necessary to achieve these important aims. ..
- Duplicate Article/Plagiarism DiscoveryHarold Garner; Fiscal Year: 2009..for discovery and decreasing budgets, yet sustained pressure to publish, the unethical practices of duplicate publications and plagiarism are significant...
- SCCOR in Translational Research in Acute Lung InjuryThomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed SCCOR Program will enhance understanding of the pathogenesis of lung injury and could lead to new treatments and improved long-term outcome for patients with acute lung injury. ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- Cuentos de la Vida: Exploring Cultural Heritage through StorytellingMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Safer Antithrombotic Therapy for Elderly ACS PatientsEric Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we will use established relations with professional societies and the VHA to widely disseminate our study's major findings. ..
- Extending Evidence-based Social-behavioral Skill Training to Young ChildrenMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Development and implementation of efficacious interventions such as SSGRIN-P can reduce these costs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SOFTWARE AND INSTRUMENTATION TO IDENTIFY CANCER GENESHarold Garner; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will integrate our system with current major technologies to produce a tool that should be widely available in translational and clinical trials cancer research. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF LUNG INFLAMMATIONThomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INTELLIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT IN DYSARTHRIARaymond Kent; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data on dysarthria will be integrated with data on speech development and normal adult speech in a neural network model of speech production that is based on internal models of auditory and articulatory representations of speech. ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- The Role of Microsatellite Instability in CancerHarold Garner; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will also (Aim 3) investigate the effects of these mutations identified in Aim 2 on splicing by correlating them with the results of a quantitative global survey of splicing isoforms. ..
- The Aux/IAA and ARF Gene Families in Auxin SignalingAthanasios Theologis; Fiscal Year: 2005..To clone and characterize the age2 mutation, another negative regulator of the auxin signaling pathway.The elucidation of the primary mechanisrn of auxin action is of paramount importance in Plant Science. ..
- Pelvic Floor Changes Before and After BirthREBECCA GLENN ROGERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will provide fundamental data to guide future decisions about labor interventions to prevent PF changes as well as data-based decisions regarding maternal request cesarean. ..
- Social skills training for aggressive adolescentsMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Parent and adolescent evaluations of the PF product will also be gathered. This research will be instrumental in establishing the PF product as an efficacious competitor in the intervention marketplace. ..
- Multimedia Strategies to Enhance Child Treatment EffectsMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..For both trials, outcome data will be collected regarding skill acquisition and social and behavioral functioning. Spanish translations of final versions will be created and a web-based distribution center will be developed. ..
- Advances in Sociometric Identification MethodsMELISSA DEROSIER; Fiscal Year: 2002..This project will enable professionals working with children around the country to access this valuable assessment tool. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: NOT AVAILABLE ..
- Adapting a Medical Self-Management Program for a Community Mental Health CenterBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, it will provide a sustainable, scalable model for improving medical self-management in a highly vulnerable population. ..
- Duke-UNC Sickle Cell Disease Clinical Research NetworkKevin Schulman; Fiscal Year: 2008..End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] CLINICAL CENTER [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical Strategies to Reduce Osteoarthritis DisabilitySusan Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION FOR PARKINSONS DISEASEJERROLD VITEK; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Early Diagnosis of Neonatal CandidiasisDaniel Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Osteopontin regulates ubiquitin-proteasome degradation of STAT1Paul Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2008..Characterization of this regulatory pathway may identify potential regulatory targets for therapy in septic shock. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Social Networks and MigrationBarbara Entwisle; Fiscal Year: 2007..The third analysis is based on a subset of villages having life history data for both migrants and non-migrants. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enhancing Organism Based Disease Knowledge Via Name Based Taxonomic IntelligenceIndra N Sarkar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Through regular collaboration events, such as annual workshops, the proposed research will continually evaluate the value of the deliverables and findings with a team of experts and potential beneficiaries from around the world. ..
- A Genetic Screening Policy Model for Colorectal CancerScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2006..The model will incorporate QOL information from Aim 2, along with family history, clinical, and screening information from the Seattle CFR. ..
- Modeling Household Dynamics and Land UseBarbara Entwisle; Fiscal Year: 2008..Proof of concept" is the goal of the application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assisting Systematic Review Preparation Using Automated Document ClassificationAaron Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since up-to-date systematic reviews are essential for establishing widespread high quality practice standards and guidelines, the overall public health will benefit from this work. ..
- COST EFFECTIVENESS OF GENETIC SCREENING FOR COLON CANCERScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Incorporating a Biomedical Perspective in Population-Based ResearchBarbara Entwisle; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PARTNERSHIP FOR RESEARCH & EDUCATION IN PLANTSErin Dolan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Hepatocyte iNOS expression is redox-regulated by HNF-4Paul Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our studies will define a novel and, as yet, poorly described redox-dependent signal transduction pathway which regulates iNOS as an antioxidant mechanism in hepatocytes. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Redox-mediated p300 regulation of hepatocyte NF-kBPaul Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Given the novel and high risk nature of this experimental venture, we believe the R21 funding mechanism to be particularly relevant. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Advancing the Race Dialog: Genes, Forensics & MedicinePamela Sankar; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DEPRESSIVE DISORDERS IN PRIMARY CARE AND WORK SETTINGSBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2003..This project will compare the impact of depression and three chronic medical illnesses on health costs, absenteeism and job performance ratings both cross-sectionally and over time. ..
- ACRIN FELLOWSHIP TRAINING PROGRAMBRUCE HILLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Fellows who have suitably progreessed will be given an opportunity to develop and lead an ACRIN trial as PI under the tutelege of Program mentors. ..