Summary: Literary or artistic items having an erotic theme. It refers especially to books treating sexual love in a sensuous or voluptuous manner. (Webster, 3d ed)
Publications212 found, 100 shown here
- EEG responses to visual erotic stimuli in men with normal and paraphilic interestsRogeria Waismann
Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College, University of London, London, England, United Kingdom
Arch Sex Behav 32:135-44. 2003..Theoretical and clinical implications of these findings are discussed...
- Sexual behavior and responsiveness to sexual stimuli following laboratory-induced sexual arousalStephanie Both
Department of Clinical Psychology, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Sex Res 41:242-58. 2004..The results support the view of sexual arousal as an emotional state generating action tendencies and actual sexual behavior...
- The impact of anxiety on sexual arousal in womenAndrea Bradford
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station A8000, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Behav Res Ther 44:1067-77. 2006..The findings may be interpreted in light of sympathetic nervous system (SNS) influences on sexual arousal and potential cognitive interference mechanisms associated with anxiety...
- Neural correlates of conscious self-regulation of emotionM Beauregard
Departement de Radiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Université de Montréal and Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CHUM, Hopital Notre Dame, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2L 4M1
J Neurosci 21:RC165. 2001..They also suggest that humans have the capacity to influence the electrochemical dynamics of their brains, by voluntarily changing the nature of the mind processes unfolding in the psychological space...
- A quantitative meta-analysis on cue-induced male sexual arousalSimone Kühn
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Department of Experimental Psychology and Gent Institute for Functional and Metabolic Imaging, Gent University, Henri Dunantlaan, Gent, Belgium
J Sex Med 8:2269-75. 2011..Visually induced sexual arousal is a common occurrence in human behavior. The cerebral underpinnings of this response have been explored in recent neuroimaging studies...
- Exposure to sexually explicit Web sites and adolescent sexual attitudes and behaviorsDebra K Braun-Courville
Division of Adolescent Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Adolesc Health 45:156-62. 2009..Given its expanding nature and accessibility, the Internet may be at the forefront of this education. However, the extent of the Internet's impact on adolescent sexual attitudes and behaviors is not yet known...
- Neuroanatomical correlates of penile erection evoked by photographic stimuli in human malesV Moulier
INSERM, U742, Univ Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, F 75005, and Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Centre Inter Etablissements de Résonance Magnétique, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neuroimage 33:689-99. 2006....
- Distinguishing specific sexual and general emotional effects in fMRI-subcortical and cortical arousal during erotic picture viewingMartin Walter
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital, Magdeburg, Germany
Neuroimage 40:1482-94. 2008..No differences were found in these effects when comparing females and males. Our findings demonstrate for the first time neural differentiation between emotional and sexual components in the neural network underlying sexual arousal...
- A selective impairment in attentional disengagement from erotica in obsessive-compulsive disorderBunmi O Olatunji
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, 301 Wilson Hall, 111 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:1977-82. 2011..Difficulty disengaging from erotic images was significantly correlated with OCD symptoms in the full sample but not with symptoms of trait anxiety. These data delineate a specific information processing abnormality in OCD...
- Women's interest in visual sexual stimuli varies with menstrual cycle phase at first exposure and predicts later interestKim Wallen
Department of Psychology and Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Horm Behav 57:263-8. 2010....
- Brain response to visual sexual stimuli in homosexual pedophilesBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
J Psychiatry Neurosci 33:23-33. 2008..The objective of this study was to analyze whether brain activation patterns of homosexual pedophiles differed from those of a nonpedophile homosexual control group during visual sexual stimulation...
- Activation of mirror-neuron system by erotic video clips predicts degree of induced erection: an fMRI studyH Mouras
INSERM, U742, 9 quai Saint Bernard, F 75005 Paris, France
Neuroimage 42:1142-50. 2008..These results suggest that the response of the mirror-neuron system may not only code for the motor correlates of observed actions, but also for autonomic correlates of these actions...
- Specific cerebral activation due to visual erotic stimuli in male-to-female transsexuals compared with male and female controls: an fMRI studyElke R Gizewski
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
J Sex Med 6:440-8. 2009..Differences between males and females in terms of functional imaging during erotic stimuli have been previously described, revealing gender-specific results...
- Pedophilia is linked to reduced activation in hypothalamus and lateral prefrontal cortex during visual erotic stimulationMartin Walter
Department of Psychiatry, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 62:698-701. 2007..Although pedophilic patients are sexually attracted to prepubescent children, they show no sexual interest toward adults. This study aimed to investigate the neural correlates of deficits of sexual and emotional arousal in pedophiles...
- Sex-specific content preferences for visual sexual stimuliHeather A Rupp
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Arch Sex Behav 38:417-26. 2009..Together, these data demonstrate sex-specific preferences for specific types of stimuli even when, across stimuli, overall interest was comparable...
- Influence of unrestrained access to erotica on adolescents' and young adults' dispositions toward sexualityD Zillmann
College of Communication, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487 0172, USA
J Adolesc Health 27:41-4. 2000Because consensually accepted programs of sexual education are lacking, erotica have come to serve as the primary agent of sexual socialization...
- Brain activation evoked by erotic films varies with different menstrual phases: an fMRI studyXun Zhu
Department of Medical Psychology, Peking University Health Science Center, and Department of Radiology, Peking University First Hospital, No 38, Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
Behav Brain Res 206:279-85. 2010..This finding provides neurological evidence for the ovulatory cycle's modulation of the processing of the sexual arousal in female human brain...
- Brain processing of visual sexual stimuli in human malesJ Redoute
Centre d Exploration et de Recherche Médicale par Emission de Positons CERMEP, Lyon, France
Hum Brain Mapp 11:162-77. 2000..Based on these results, we propose a model of the brain processes mediating the cognitive, emotional, motivational, and autonomic components of human male sexual arousal...
- Cerebral activation associated with sexual arousal in response to a pornographic clip: A 15O-H2O PET study in heterosexual menM Bocher
Department of Medical Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine/HBRC, Hadassah Hebrew University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Neuroimage 14:105-17. 2001..The significance of those findings is discussed in the light of current theories concerning selective attention, "mind reading" and mirroring, reinforcement of pleasurable stimuli, and penile erection...
- Men and women differ in amygdala response to visual sexual stimuliStephan Hamann
Department of Psychology, 532 North Kilgo Circle, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Nat Neurosci 7:411-6. 2004....
- Brain processing of visual sexual stimuli in men with hypoactive sexual desire disorderSerge Stoléru
INSERM, Unité 483, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 23, 9 quai Saint Bernard, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Psychiatry Res 124:67-86. 2003....
- Gender differences in pornography consumption among young heterosexual Danish adultsGert Martin Hald
Department of Psychology, University of Aarhus, Jens Chr Skous vej 4, Aarhus, C 8000, Denmark
Arch Sex Behav 35:577-85. 2006....
- Brain response to visual sexual stimuli in heterosexual and homosexual malesThomas Paul
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 29:726-35. 2008..Moreover, the activation pattern found in both groups suggests that stimuli of opposite sexual orientation triggered intense autonomic response and may be perceived, at least to some extent, as aversive...
- Adolescent sexuality and the internet: the good, the bad, and the URLMansi Kanuga
UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 17:117-24. 2004..This article reviews the positive and negative influences of the Internet on this age group. Specific aspects of how this medium affects adolescents as well as how it can be used to assist them are discussed...
- Functional neuroanatomy in depressed patients with sexual dysfunction: blood oxygenation level dependent functional MR imagingJong Chul Yang
Department of Psychiatry, Chonnam National University Hospital, Kwangju, Korea
Korean J Radiol 5:87-95. 2004..To demonstrate the functional neuroanatomy associated with sexual arousal visually evoked in depressed males who have underlying sexual dysfunction using Blood Oxygenation Level Dependent-based fMRI...
- Body image, eating disorders, and the drive for muscularity in gay and heterosexual men: the influence of media imagesScott J Duggan
OISE University of Toronto, 252 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6, Canada
J Homosex 47:45-58. 2004..Pornography exposure was positively correlated with social physique anxiety for gay men. The limitations of this study and directions for future research are outlined...
- Assessment of cerebrocortical areas associated with sexual arousal in depressive women using functional MR imagingJong Chul Yang
Department of Psychiatry, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Jeonju, Korea
J Sex Med 5:602-9. 2008..Mental illness is closely related with sexual dysfunction. A number of investigators have reported that depressive women have difficulties in sexual arousal...
- Social bonds and internet pornographic exposure among adolescentsGustavo S Mesch
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, The Center for the Study of Society, University of Haifa, Har Hacarmel 31905, Israel
J Adolesc 32:601-18. 2009..Weak ties to mainstream social institutions were characteristic of the former group but not of the latter. X-rated material consumers proved to be a distinct sub-group at risk of deviant behaviour...
- Exposure to internet pornography among children and adolescents: a national surveyMichele L Ybarra
Internet Solutions for Kids, Inc, Irvine, California 92618, USA
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:473-86. 2005..Findings from these cross-sectional data provide justification for longitudinal studies aimed at parsing out temporal sequencing of psychosocial experiences...
- The use of cyberpornography by young men in Hong Kong: some psychosocial correlatesChun Bun Lam
Department of Psychology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Arch Sex Behav 36:588-98. 2007..Conceptual and applied implications of these findings are discussed...
- Young people, pornography, and sexuality: sources and attitudesGudrun Wallmyr
Alingsås Hospital, Alingsås, Sweden
J Sch Nurs 22:290-5. 2006..These results illustrate the importance of sex education to give factual information about sexuality and to counteract the messages about sexuality presented in pornography...
- Brain activation by visual erotic stimuli in healthy middle aged malesS W Kim
Department of Urology, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Int J Impot Res 18:452-7. 2006..However, hypothalamus and thalamus were not activated. We suggest that the nonactivation of hypothalamus and thalamus in middle aged males may be responsible for the lesser physiological arousal in response to the erotic visual stimuli...
- Use of pornography in traditional media and on the Internet in NorwayBente Traeen
Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
J Sex Res 43:245-54. 2006..Level of education predicted exposure to pornography on the Internet, in magazines and in films. Younger individuals were more likely to utilize the Internet both for viewing pornographic material and to chat...
- Personality, individual differences, and preferences for the sexual mediaA F Bogaert
Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada L2S 3A1
Arch Sex Behav 30:29-53. 2001..g., "erotic" or violent). Results are discussed in relation to recent research and psychological theories that view adults as active in choosing their own social environments...
- Searching for sexually explicit materials on the Internet: an exploratory study of college students' behavior and attitudesP Goodson
Dept of Health and Kinesiology, Texas A and M University, 4243 TAMU, College Station, Texas 77843 4243, USA
Arch Sex Behav 30:101-18. 2001..Competing explanations as well as the limitations of this study are discussed...
- Unwanted and wanted exposure to online pornography in a national sample of youth Internet usersJanis Wolak
Crimes against Children Research Center, University of New Hampshire, 10 West Edge Dr, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Pediatrics 119:247-57. 2007..The goal was to assess the extent of unwanted and wanted exposure to online pornography among youth Internet users and associated risk factors...
- Pornography use and sexual aggression: the impact of frequency and type of pornography use on recidivism among sexual offendersDrew A Kingston
School of Psychology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Aggress Behav 34:341-51. 2008..e., pornography containing deviant content) was a risk factor for all groups. The importance of conceptualizing particular risk factors (e.g., pornography), within the context of other individual characteristics is discussed...
- Child seduction and self-representation on the InternetE Quayle
Department of Applied Psychology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Cyberpsychol Behav 4:597-608. 2001..The Internet is seen to play a unique role in allowing individuals to self-represent aspects that might otherwise remain hidden or dormant...
- Areas of brain activation in males and females during viewing of erotic film excerptsSherif Karama
Centre de Recherche en Sciences Neurologiques, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
Hum Brain Mapp 16:1-13. 2002..They further suggest that the greater SA generally experienced by men, when viewing erotica, may be related to the functional gender difference found here with respect to the hypothalamus.
- Characteristics of internet child pornography offenders: a comparison with child molestersL Webb
Oxleas NHS Trust, Dartford, Kent, UK
Sex Abuse 19:449-65. 2007....
- The construction and preliminary validation of the Internet Behaviours and Attitudes Questionnaire (IBAQ)Matt D O'Brien
HM Prison Service, London, UK
Sex Abuse 19:237-56. 2007..The attitude measure was not influenced by social desirability, and was able to discriminate participants who disclosed the greater number of 'offending behaviours'. These results are discussed in terms of their clinical implications...
- The criminal histories and later offending of child pornography offendersMichael C Seto
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sex Abuse 17:201-10. 2005..Child pornography offenders who had committed a prior or concurrent contact sexual offense were the most likely to offend again, either generally or sexually...
- There are differences in cerebral activation between females in distinct menstrual phases during viewing of erotic stimuli: A fMRI studyElke R Gizewski
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45127 Essen, Germany
Exp Brain Res 174:101-8. 2006..a few functional brain imaging studies have tackled the issue of gender differences as pertaining to reactions to erotica. The question of whether or not gender differences in reactions to erotica are maintained with women in different ..
- Attitudes and use of pornography in the Norwegian population 2002Bente Traeen
University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromso, Norway
J Sex Res 41:193-200. 2004..These models explained 36% of the variance in frequency of watching pornographic films, 35% of the variance in frequency of reading pornographic magazines, and 21% of the variance in frequency of watching pornography on the Internet...
- Sexual and emotional variables influencing sexual response to erotica: a psychophysiological investigationE Koukounas
School of Psychology, Deakin University, Burwood Road, Burwood, Victoria, Australia 3125
Arch Sex Behav 30:393-408. 2001..Future directions for comparing male sexual response patterns with female response patterns are suggested...
- Sexual media use by young adults in Hong Kong: prevalence and associated factorsMohsen Janghorbani
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Arch Sex Behav 32:545-53. 2003..2), being out of school (OR = 1.5), quarrel with family member in past 6 months (OR = 1.8), and religion (OR = 1.6 for no religion and 3.4 for traditional Chinese religion, versus Christians) (all adjusted OR:p < 0.05)...
- Frequent users of pornography. A population based epidemiological study of Swedish male adolescentsCarl Goran Svedin
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, IKE, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
J Adolesc 34:779-88. 2011..High frequent viewing of pornography may be seen as a problematic behaviour that needs more attention from both parents and teachers and also to be addressed in clinical interviews...
- Brain processing of visual sexual stimuli in treated and untreated hypogonadal patientsJerome Redoute
INSERM U 483, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Boite 23, 9 quai Saint Bernard, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:461-82. 2005....
- Pornography, normalization, and empowermentMartin S Weinberg
Department of Sociology, Indiana University, 1020 E Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Arch Sex Behav 39:1389-401. 2010..They suggested, however, that established scripts were extended rather than abandoned. We conclude with connections between our findings and the widespread viewing of pornography in contemporary society...
- Effects on boy-attracted pedosexual males of viewing boy eroticaDavid L Riegel
Arch Sex Behav 33:321-3. 2004
- Paedophilia on the Internet--a study of 33 convicted offenders in the Canton of LucerneAndreas Frei
Psychiatrische Klinik, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:488-94. 2005..an international provider of child-pornography in the USA were arrested and the credit-card-numbers of their clients were put at the disposal of the law enforcement agencies of the countries concerned...
- Postdrinking sexual perceptions and behaviors toward another person: alcohol expectancy set and gender differencesWilliam H George
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Sex Res 43:282-91. 2006..Men also showed more erotic material to drinking targets than to non-drinking targets. Sexual perceptions and erotica showing behavior were correlated significantly and positively...
- Does subliminal exposure to sexual stimuli have the same effects on men and women?Omri Gillath
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Sex Res 44:111-21. 2007..It is therefore suggested that the subliminal sexual prime causes women to activate sex-related mental contents but to experience the result as somewhat aversive...
- Using the Internet to promote sexual health awareness among young peopleMakeda Gerressu
Centre for Sexual Health and HIV Research, Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, London, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 31:267, 269-70. 2005
- Alterations in grip strength during male sexual arousalC Jiao
1School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Int J Impot Res 18:206-9. 2006..The results indicate that during sexual arousal, the neural system is likely to reduce the output to muscles not directly related to sexual function, presumably to enhance the physiological responses of sexual arousal...
- Can sublingual testosterone increase subjective and physiological measures of laboratory-induced sexual arousal?Adriaan Tuiten
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:465-6. 2002
- Alfred C. Kinsey and the politics of sex researchJohn Bancroft
The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction, Indiana University, USA
Annu Rev Sex Res 15:1-39. 2004..Reasons why people might still oppose sex research are considered, and conclusions are reached about how sex researchers might deal with this problem...
- Aging and sexual response in the laboratory in patients with erectile dysfunctionDavid L Rowland
Department of Psychology, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383, USA
J Sex Marital Ther 31:399-407. 2005..Despite these effects, ED men even in the oldest group showed average penile circumference increases of 28 mm under ICI, an erectile response typically sufficient for vaginal intercourse...
- [Adolescent's sexuality]D Roynet
D M G U L B, Planning Familial, Rochefort
Rev Med Brux 28:353-5. 2007..Attacks against masculinity or femininity, sexual traumas, wounds in the relations (rejects, humiliation, abandon, ...) could have important consequences on sexual health of the adult in becoming...
- Genital and subjective sexual arousal in postmenopausal women: influence of laboratory-induced hyperventilationLori A Brotto
University of British Columbia, Department of Psychology, 2136 West Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
J Sex Marital Ther 28:39-53. 2002..These data are the first to directly compare genital-subjective correlations between pre- and postmenopausal women...
- The effects of tibolone on vaginal blood flow, sexual desire and arousability in postmenopausal womenE Laan
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Climacteric 4:28-41. 2001..There were significantly greater increases in vaginal blood flow with tibolone in response to erotic fantasy but not film, suggesting two possible pathways of female sexual response...
- Trends in youth reports of sexual solicitations, harassment and unwanted exposure to pornography on the InternetKimberly J Mitchell
Crimes against Children Research Center, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824 3586, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:116-26. 2007..This study was designed to track trends in reports of unwanted sexual solicitations, harassment, and unwanted exposure to pornography via the Internet between 2000 and 2005 across various demographic sub-groups of youth...
- Thermography as a physiological measure of sexual arousal in both men and womenTuuli M Kukkonen
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Sex Med 4:93-105. 2007..Current physiological measures of sexual arousal are intrusive, hard to compare between genders, and quantitatively problematic...
- Gender, Internet use, and sexual behavior orientation among young NigeriansD O Adebayo
Department of Psychology, Faculty of the Social Sciences, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Cyberpsychol Behav 9:742-52. 2006..The findings were explained in the context of the theoretical foundations of the study, while practical implications for combating youths' risky sexual behavior orientation were highlighted...
- [Sexuality in children 9-14 years old]Rafael Ballester Arnal
Facultad de Ciencias Humanas y Sociales, Universitat Jaume I, Castellon, Spain
Psicothema 18:25-30. 2006..Girls start to masturbate and to have sexual relations later than boys and show a prevalence of sexual fantasies and use of pornography very lower. It is necessary sexual education programs to be implanted since early ages in schools...
- Who responds to unsolicited sexually explicit materials on the internet?: the role of individual differencesJae Woong Shim
Department of Telecommunications, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405 5501, USA
Cyberpsychol Behav 10:71-9. 2007..Finally, those who were high both in sexual and antisocial dispositions reported being more likely to expose themselves to unsolicited sexually explicit materials than all others...
- 'It's everywhere!' young Swedish people's thoughts and reflections about pornographyElisabet Häggström-Nordin
Department of Caring and Public Health Sciences, Malardalen University, Vasteras, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 20:386-93. 2006..This indicates the importance, for personnel at youth centres and schools, to discuss sexual behaviour and how sexuality is portrayed in pornographic material with young people...
- A gender- and sexual orientation-dependent spatial attentional effect of invisible imagesYi Jiang
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, 75 East River Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17048-52. 2006....
- Slash fiction and human mating psychologyCatherine Salmon
Psychology Department, University of Redlands, 1200 E Colton Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373, USA
J Sex Res 41:94-100. 2004..The topic is revisited here with attention also being paid to slash between two female television characters and the appeal to people of fiction in general...
- Gender differences in the effect of visual sexual stimulation on the perceived covariation between freedom and responsibilityJames D Nevala
Department of Psychology, University of Louisiana at Monroe, LA 71209, USA
J Psychol 140:133-53. 2006....
- Online requests for sexual pictures from youth: risk factors and incident characteristicsKimberly J Mitchell
Crimes against Children Research Center, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824 3586, USA
J Adolesc Health 41:196-203. 2007..The aim of this study was to explore the prevalence and characteristics of youth who receive requests to make and send sexual pictures of themselves over the Internet...
- Erotic and disgust-inducing pictures--differences in the hemodynamic responses of the brainRudolf Stark
Department of Clinical and Physiological Psychology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Otto Behaghel Str 10, 35394 Giessen, Germany
Biol Psychol 70:19-29. 2005..The ventral striatum was specifically activated when subjects saw highly sexually arousing pictures. This indicates the involvement of the human reward system during the processing of visual erotica.
- Vaginal vasomotion--its appearance, measurement, and usefulness in assessing the mechanisms of vasodilatationRoy J Levin
Sexual Physiology Laboratory, Porterbrook Clinic, 75 Osbourne Road, Sheffield S11 9BF, Yorkshire, England
J Sex Med 5:377-86. 2008....
- Sex in America online: an exploration of sex, marital status, and sexual identity in internet sex seeking and its impactsJulie M Albright
Department of Sociology, University of Southern California, 3620 South Vermont Avenue, KAP 352, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
J Sex Res 45:175-86. 2008..Married and divorced were more likely than singles to go online seeking a serious relationship. Only 2% of users met the threshold of compulsive use established by previous studies...
- High resolution fMRI of subcortical regions during visual erotic stimulation at 7 TMartin Walter
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Otto v Guericke University, Leipziger Strasse 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
MAGMA 21:103-11. 2008....
- Internet influences on sexual practices among young people in Hanoi, VietnamAnh D Ngo
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Australia
Cult Health Sex 10:S201-13. 2008....
- Gender difference in electrical brain activity during presentation of various film excerpts with different emotional contentW Dimpfel
Pro Science Research Clinic GmbH med Forschung und Entwicklung, Kurt Schumacher Str 9, D 35440 Linden, Germany
Eur J Med Res 8:192-8. 2003..The data are further proof that recording the computer aided quantitative EEG is a very fruitful and promising approach in psychophysiology...
- The interaction of state and trait aspects of self-focused attention affects genital, but not subjective, sexual arousal in sexually functional womenJacques van Lankveld
Department of Clinical Psychological Science, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Behav Res Ther 46:514-28. 2008..The results were discussed with reference to previous work in this field. Some implications for treatment of sexual arousal disorder were discussed...
- Conscious processing of sexual information: mechanisms of appraisalMark Spiering
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Sex Behav 33:369-80. 2004..It was concluded that cognitive processing of sexual information is similar for both genders, but that gender differences are present in affective processing of sexual information...
- HIV and AIDS, the internet pornography industry and safer sexS T Green
Int J STD AIDS 15:206-8. 2004
- [Attitudes towards eroticism and sexuality in the elderly over 60 years of age]T Gunzelmann
Kaulbachstr 45, Nurnberg, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 66:15-20. 2004..Therefore only few empirical results exist regarding sexuality in higher age. This paper presents results of interviews with persons at the age of 60 years or older regarding their sexual activities and aspects of eroticism...
- Classical conditioning of sexual arousal in women and men: effects of varying awareness and biological relevance of the conditioned stimulusHeather Hoffmann
Department of Psychology, Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois, USA
Arch Sex Behav 33:43-53. 2004..This is the first study to compare the effects of a subliminal and conscious CS and to find classical conditioning of sexual arousal in women...
- [New patterns of sexual behaviour among adolescents]Willy Pedersen
Institutt for sosiologi og samfunnsgeografi, Universitetet i Oslo, Postboks 1096 Blindern, 0317 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:3006-9. 2003..We wanted to investigate erotic and sexual behaviour in adolescents, with emphasis on the trend over the last decade...
- Internet sex addiction treated with naltrexoneJ Michael Bostwick
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 83:226-30. 2008..This article reviews naltrexone's mechanism of action in the reward center and describes a novel use for naltrexone in suppressing a euphorically compulsive and interpersonally devastating addiction to Internet pornography...
- Sex differences in response to visual sexual stimuli: a reviewHeather A Rupp
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Arch Sex Behav 37:206-18. 2008..These differences are of practical importance to future research on sexual arousal that aims to use experimental stimuli comparably appealing to men and women and also for general understanding of cognitive sex differences...
- Impact of interaction with a partner or friend on the exposure effects of pornography and eroticaCharlene Y Senn
Department of Psychology, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Violence Vict 19:645-58. 2004..Women who viewed pornography maintained their (quite high) level of negative mood, whereas women who viewed erotica experienced a substantial improvement in mood...
- Reality in cyberspace: analysands' use of the Internet and ordinary everyday psychosisPatricia L Gibbs
Michigan Psychoanalytic Institute, MI, USA
Psychoanal Rev 94:11-38. 2007
- Motivational, ethical, and epistemological foundations in the treatment of unwanted homoerotic attractionChristopher H Rosik
Link Care Center, 1734 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, California 93711, USA
J Marital Fam Ther 29:13-28. 2003..MFTs are encouraged to recognize and accept, rather than ignore or deny the valid needs of clients who seek to modify their same-sex attraction...
- Flirting on the internet and the hickey: a hermeneuticRichard Alapack
Department of Psychology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:52-61. 2005..Are not absolute control and perfect security, however, merely illusions? We showcase the positive aspects of seemingly unsafe values: psychological vulnerability, daring, and risk...
- History, causality, and sexologyJohn Money
Psychohormonal Research Unit, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and University, 1235 E Monument St, Suite LL20, Baltimore, MD 21202 5300, USA
J Sex Res 40:237-9. 2003..Like other brain maps, for example the languagemap, the lovemap requires an intact human brain in which to develop. The personalized content of the lovemap has access to the brain by way of the special senses...
- MRI of female genital and pelvic organs during sexual arousalD D Suh
Department of Urology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6510, USA
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 25:153-62. 2004..MRI can potentially provide detailed anatomical information in the assessment of female sexual function, particularly with regard to changes in blood flow...
- Hypothalamus, sexual arousal and psychosexual identity in human males: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyM Brunetti
Department of Clinical Sciences and Biomedical Imaging Institute for Advanced Biomedical Technologies, University G d Annunzio of Chieti, Chieti CH, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 27:2922-7. 2008....
- "He was treating me like trash, and I was loving it...": perspectives in gay male pornographyTodd G Morrison
National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
J Homosex 47:167-83. 2004..Those who identified potentially negative influences of this medium saw them as transitory and most likely to occur among gay men other than themselves...
- The impact of body awareness on sexual arousal in women with sexual dysfunctionBrooke N Seal
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station A8000, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Sex Med 4:990-1000. 2007..However, the role that physical appearance or awareness of one's body may play in female sexual response has received little empiric attention...
- [Retained rectal foreign bodies by trans-anal introduction. Case report]L G Angio
Scuola di Specializzazione in Chirugia Generale I, Universita degli Studi di Messina
G Chir 30:445-53. 2009....
- Oscar Wilde and the scarlet womanE Hanson
English Department, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Homosex 33:121-37. 1997..He became the ecclesiastical dandy that evangelicals feared most, a poet enamored of the Scarlet Woman, a would-be convert who exposed the scandal of Christianity as art...
- The 'electric stroke' and the 'electric spark': anatomists and eroticism at George Baker's electric eel exhibition in 1776 and 1777Christopher Plumb
Centre for Museology, Mansfield Cooper Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
Endeavour 34:87-94. 2010..exhibited in London became a sensational spectacle that appealed to anatomists, electricians and connoisseurs of erotica. George Baker's exhibition made visible the 'electric spark' of the electrical eel and a series of experiments ..
- Affective modulation of eyeblink reactions to noxious sural nerve stimulation: a supraspinal measure of nociceptive reactivity?Amy E Williams
Department of Psychology, The University of Tulsa, 600 South College, Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 66:255-65. 2007..Pictures (attack, loss, neutral, food, erotica) that manipulated affective valence and arousal were presented and noxious electrodermal stimulations were ..
- Not to stigmatize but to humanize sexual lives of the transgender (hijra) in Bangladesh: condom chat in the AIDS eraSharful Islam Khan
Social and Behavioral Sciences Unit, Public Health Sciences Division, ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J LGBT Health Res 4:127-41. 2008..A paradigm shift is required where condoms enhance the dignity and quality of sexual lives of the hijra beyond the framework of disgrace, disease, and death...
- Concordance between women's physiological and subjective sexual arousal is associated with consistency of orgasm during intercourse but not other sexual behaviorStuart Brody
Institute for Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Sex Marital Ther 29:15-23. 2003..found a discordance between women's genital (vaginal pulse amplitude) and subjective sexual arousal responses to erotica. We hypothesized that the association between the physiological and subjective domains would be greater for women ..
- Sexuality and safer sex: the issues for lesbians and bisexual womenP E Stevens
University of Wisconssin Milwaukee, School of Nursing, 53201, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 30:439-47. 2001..Nursing interventions to help women reduce their risk of contracting HIV must be designed from an in-depth understanding of the complex sociocultural patterns of sexuality in particular communities and among specific subgroups...
- Ginkgo Biloba: Antidepressant-Induced Sexual DysfunctionCindy Meston; Fiscal Year: 2003..If effective, GBE could play a significant adjunctive role in the treatment of clinical depression and other psychological disorders commonly treated with antidepressant medications. ..
- PERCEIVED ALCOHOL EFFECTS ON WOMEN II: BELIEFS & SEX.WILLIAM GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 1991..work will use live analogue interactions with the partner and behavioral indices of the partner's interest in erotica. Second, to determine whether alcohol's perceived effects on sexuality are being uniquely or inequitably applied ..
- STARTLE PROBE IN THE STUDY OF EMOTIONPeter Lang; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., threat, erotica) or emotional (e.g...
- Alcohol & HIV/AIDS Risk-TakingWILLIAM GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2005..In concert with personality and other factors, the data may inform key knowledge gaps, advance theory, and foster refinement of existing prevention approaches and formulation of new ones...
- Effects of Early Abuse on Adult Intimate RelationshipsCindy M Meston; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings from this investigation will have implications for understanding both the psychological and physiological mechanisms that link CA with detrimental intimacy/relational factors in adulthood. ..
- Determinants of Violence Based on Sexual OrientationDOMINIC PARROTT; Fiscal Year: 2010..In doing so, we will improve our knowledge of antigay violence and discrimination which, in the future, may facilitate the development of prevention and treatment interventions. ..
- SMS Turkey: Harnessing the power of TXT messaging to promote smoking cessationMichele Ybarra; Fiscal Year: 2010..The high reach of cell phones allows us to potentially reach smokers who would otherwise not utilize traditional smoking cessation services, representing the possibility of a large public health impact. ..
- Conference on Reproductive PsychophysiologyErick Janssen; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, selected members of the pre-conference workshop will work together to formulate and publish guidelines for psychophysiological measurement. ..
- Mechanisms Influencing Sexual Risk TakingErick Janssen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Emotional Mechanisms /Blood-Injection-Injury PhobiaOlubunmi Olatunji; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research will provide an important contribution to the understanding of the emotions that mediate BII phobia, thus potentially providing a foundation for incorporating effective treatment strategies. ..
- Relationships Among Interpersonal Stress, Affect Regulation, and Alcohol LapseStephen A Maisto; Fiscal Year: 2010..00 for 'Some of the effects tested;We expect actual critical effect Sizes closer to medium magnitude. ..
- Offspring of Maltreated Mothers:Prenatal & Infant HealthJennie Noll; Fiscal Year: 2006..The training component will involve extensive independent reading, coursework, seminars, conferences, and concentrated time with mentors. ..
- LEARNING NEWER WAYS TO ANALYZE TREATMENT RESEARCH DATAStephen Maisto; Fiscal Year: 2006..The K02 award would allow the applicant protected time to continue to develop his skills in and to conduct a program of research on alcohol treatment. ..
- Alcohol, risky behavior and AIDS in menStephen Maisto; Fiscal Year: 2007..04%], or moderate alcohol dose [BAC = .08%]) and other factors. The primary dependent variables will be risk perception, risk exposure, negotiation skills, and intentions to engage in risky behavior...
- Measuring Oral Disease Burden for Planning ServicesMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2003..The principal investigator is based in Houston, Texas (USA) and the collaborators are based in Cape Town (South Africa), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), and London (UK). ..
- Cortisol Activity and Sexual AbuseJennie Noll; Fiscal Year: 2006..5) To provide a comprehensive evaluation of the effect of extrahypothalamic CRH regulated behaviors on cortisol concentrations and reactivity. ..
- IN-DEPTH LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF HIV-INFECTED WOMENPatricia Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitions about Sexual Abuse and Youths' Mental HealthValerie Simon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding differences in how individuals make meaning of their abuse and how such differences are related to adjustment problems will contribute to the design of more specific interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALCOHOL AND ACQUAINTANCE ASSAULT RISK PERCEPTIONJeanette Norris; Fiscal Year: 2003..Findings have implications for designing prevention interventions, especially related to alcohol's role as a risk factor for assault...
- LONGITUDINAL AND RELATED PSYCHOHORMONAL STUDIESJohn Money; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- PSYCHOLOGICAL INTERVENTION FOR WOMEN WITH BREAST CANCERBARBARA ANDERSEN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Heterosexual HIV Risk: Effects of Men's Alcohol Use and Sexual ViolenceKelly Davis; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Motivational Feedback to Increase Walking AdherenceCaroline Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Richardson will acquire the skills and knowledge to become an independent investigator and a leader in the field of physical activity promotion research for patients with cardiovascular disease. ..