- Assisted reproductive practice: religious perspectives
Joscph G Schenker
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel
Reprod Biomed Online 10:310-9. 2005
- Epistemological frameworks, homosexuality, and religion
Soc Work 50:373. 2005
- Coital debut: the role of religiosity and sex attitudes in the Add Health Survey
Sharon Scales Rostosky
Department of Counseling Psychology, 245 Dickey Hall, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
J Sex Res 40:358-67. 2003
..The implications of these results for adolescent pregnancy prevention programming are discussed...
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (GLBT) experiences with Earth-spirited faith
Counseling Psychology Program, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
J Homosex 52:235-48. 2007
..In addition, Earth-spirited faiths engaged in many GLBT-affirming behaviors...
- When mothers learn a daughter is a lesbian: then and now
Sarah F Pearlman
Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, University of Hartford, Hartford, CT 06105, USA
J Lesbian Stud 9:117-37. 2005
..Findings demonstrated that while the majority of mothers interviewed in 1990 experienced disclosure as a crisis, a greater number of mothers in 2000-2001 were more receptive to learning that a daughter was a lesbian...
- Noncontracepting behavior in women at risk for unintended pregnancy: what's religion got to do with it?
Michael R Kramer
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Ann Epidemiol 17:327-34. 2007
- Outlaws or in-laws? Queer theory, LGBT studies, and religious studies
Melissa M Wilcox
Department of Religion, 345 Boyer Ave, Walla Walla, WA 99362, USA
J Homosex 52:73-100. 2006
..This essay assesses the current state of the "proto-fields" of LGBT studies and queer studies in religion, offers suggestions for new directions in the future, and considers the potential benefits of the interaction of these fields...
- Environmental influences on safer sex in young gay men: a situational presentation approach to measuring influences on sexual health
Michael W Ross
School of Public Health, Houston Health Science Center, University of Texas, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Arch Sex Behav 33:249-57. 2004
..These data suggest that environmental factors can be approximated using the Sitpres methodology, and that more proximal environmental variables have a stronger impact than distal ones...
- Immutability, science, and legislative debate over gay, lesbian and bisexual rights
Department of Political Science, Temple University, Gladfelter Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
J Homosex 47:53-77. 2004
..We also show that the scientific evidence merely supplemented a large amount of anecdotal information that legislators already possessed that spoke to the origins of sexual orientation...
- Homophobia: a challenge for psychosocial nursing
Frederic B Tate
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Unit, Eastern State Hospital, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187 8791, USA
J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 42:26-33. 2004
..4. Homophobia not only damages individuals who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered, but also limits heterosexuals by locking them into rigid gender-based roles...
- Translators, traitors, and traducers: Perjuring Hawaiian same-sex texts through deliberate mistranslation
Robert J Morris
University of Hawai i, Manoa, USA
J Homosex 51:225-47. 2006
..This subversion continues to this day in the form of the "missionary mentality" in politics and law. The way out of this situation is a brutally honest cleaning-off of the besmirched Hawaiian texts...
- Coparent or second-parent adoption by same-sex parents
Gilbert A Friday
Pediatrics 109:1192-3; author reply 1193-4. 2002
- Differences between previously married and never married 'gay' men: family background, childhood experiences and current attitudes
Daryl J Higgins
Deakin University, Geelong Campus, Australia
J Homosex 48:19-41. 2004
..The results highlight how little is understood of the reasons why gay men marry, and the need to develop an adequate theoretical model...
- Pathways from family religiosity to adolescent sexual activity and contraceptive use
Child Trends, Washington, DC, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 40:105-17. 2008
..Few studies with nationally representative longitudinal data have examined whether and how family religiosity is associated with adolescent sexual and contraceptive behavior...
- Queering the cosmology of the vikings: a queer analysis of the cult of Odin and "holy white stones"
University of Oslo, Norway
J Homosex 54:192-208. 2008
..There may be a cultic association between the cult of Odin and the burial practices involving white holy phallic stones...
- Possible gender identity disorder in an extremely religious Muslim family
Arch Sex Behav 35:645-6. 2006
- Use of mid-upper arm circumference for evaluation of nutritional status of children and for identification of high-risk groups for malnutrition in rural Bangladesh
N C Roy
Operations Research Project, Health and Population Extension Division, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 18:171-80. 2000
..Results of the study suggest that MUAC is a potential anthropometric indicator of child nutrition...
- Adolescent fertility and religion in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in the year 2000: the role of Protestantism
Population Research Center, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712 0544, USA
Popul Stud (Camb) 62:289-303. 2008
..Our findings offer some support for the hypothesis that Protestant churches are more effective than the Catholic Church in discouraging premarital sexual relations and childbearing among adolescents...
- Between a rock and a slippery slope: negotiating the intersections of religion and sexuality on network television's The Book of Daniel
Department of Communication Studies, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois 61201, USA
J Homosex 58:355-81. 2011
..As homosexuality, per se, is no longer "outside" the normative order, the program constructs an unstable, nonbinary, and nonheteronormative other who is best understood as queer...
- The influence of Islam on AIDS prevention among Senegalese university students
Sarah S Gilbert
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 20:399-407. 2008
..Participants with higher religiosity scores were more likely to abstain from sex. However, participants high in religiosity were not more likely to report that they did not use condoms when sexually active...
- Muslim women's reflections on the acceptability of vaginal microbicidal products to prevent HIV infection
Department of Religious Studies, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Ethn Health 16:89-106. 2011
..When microbicides become available in the future, proponents of their use will need to consider religious reasoning of potential users, including that of Muslim women...
- Developmental trajectories of religiosity, sexual conservatism and sexual behavior among female adolescents
Matthew C Aalsma
Section of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA Electronic address
J Adolesc 36:1193-204. 2013
..Effective strategies of sexual health promotion should include an understanding of the complex role of socio-sexual attitudes with religiosity. ..
- "That matter which ought not to be heard of": homophobic slurs in Renaissance cultural politics
Department of English, University of California, Davis 95616
J Homosex 26:41-75. 1994
..Largely ignored by church historians, such slurs are shown to be part of an archaeology of homophobia...
- Religiosity, self-control, and virginity status in college students from the “Bible Belt”: a research note
Alexander T Vazsonyi
Human Development and Family Studies, Auburn University
J Sci Study Relig 49:561-68. 2010
..Thus, both religiosity and self-control independently and additively function as key social control mechanisms that promote late adolescent health...
- RUMINATIONS ON THE TESTIS
W S MACK
Proc R Soc Med 57:47-51. 1964
- An emerging field in religion and reproductive health
Laura M Gaydos
Department of Health Policy and Management, Emory University, Rollins School of Public Health, 1518 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Relig Health 49:473-84. 2010
..Article frequency increased over time, from 3 articles in 1980 to 38 articles in 2008. While field growth is evident, there is still no cohesive "scholarship" in religion and reproductive health...
- Relations among religiousness, spirituality, and sexual practices
Jessica L Burris
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
J Sex Res 46:282-9. 2009
..Spirituality appears to have a unique and strong association with the sexual practices of young adults, particularly women, and should be assessed in future studies of young adults' sexual practices...
- Correlates of the intention to remain sexually inactive among male adolescents in an Islamic country: case of the Republic of Iran
Health Education Department, College of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, PO Box 14115 111, Tehran, Iran
J Sch Health 79:123-9. 2009
..This study employs the Health Belief Model to assess the correlates of the intention to remain sexually inactive among male adolescents in the Republic of Iran...
- The down low, social stigma, and risky sexual behaviors: insights from African-American men who have sex with men
Maria Knight Lapinski
Department of Communication, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, and Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Homosex 57:610-33. 2010
..These findings can be used to build culturally appropriate sexual risk interventions for this population...
- Sexual health knowledge, attitudes and behaviours: variations among a religiously diverse sample of young people in London, UK
Lester M Coleman
Trust for the Study of Adolescence, Brighton
Ethn Health 13:55-72. 2008
..To report young people's variations in sexual health knowledge, attitudes and behaviours by religious affiliation...
- The association of religiosity, sexual education, and parental factors with risky sexual behaviors among adolescents and young adults
Kristin A Haglund
College of Nursing, Marquette University, Clark Hall, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Relig Health 49:460-72. 2010
..Participants whose formal and parental sexual education included abstinence and those from two-parent families were 15% less likely to have had sex and had fewer partners...
- Sex and the church. A case for change
Newsweek 139:22-32. 2002
- The context of condom use among young adults in the Philippines: implications for HIV prevention
Marguerite B Lucea
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Health Care Women Int 34:227-48. 2013
..To strengthen HIV prevention efforts in such settings, we suggest that the development of strategies to address these constraints and promote healthy sexuality in young adults is essential...
- The role of structure versus individual agency in churches' responses to HIV/AIDS: a case study of Baltimore City churches
Shayna D Cunningham
Sociometrics Corporation, Los Altos, CA, USA
J Relig Health 50:407-21. 2011
..Church leaders varied, however, in the extent to which they responded in accordance with or resisted these constraints, highlighting the importance of individual agency influencing churches' responses to HIV/AIDS...
- Male sexual coercion: analysis of a few associated factors
Juan Carlos Sierra
Facultad de Psicologia, Universidad de Granada, 18071 Granada, Spain
Psychol Rep 105:69-79. 2009
..Religious involvement, however, may act as a protective factor against such violence. Multidimensional models are needed to explain sexual violence against women by men in heterosexual relationships...
- Exploring the sexual attitudes of physician assistant students: implications for obtaining a sexual history
Department of Physician Assistant Studies, New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury, New York, USA
J Physician Assist Educ 23:30-4. 2012
..This study examined the sexual attitudes of physician assistant (PA) students and assessed their effect on obtaining a sexual history...
- Child sexual abuse in the Anglican Church of Australia
Patrick N Parkinson
University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Child Sex Abus 21:553-70. 2012
..Prevention strategies need to focus on reducing the opportunities for abuse to occur as well strategies concerning the recruitment of professional staff and volunteers...
- Pleasure and danger: Muslim views on sex and gender in Zanzibar
Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Leeds, UK
Cult Health Sex 12:619-32. 2010
..The increasing spread of HIV and the influence of more essentialist trends in Zanzibari Islam draw attention to the capacity for dynamic adaptation of perceptions and practices...
- When Christianity and homosexuality collide: understanding the potential intrapersonal conflict
School of Education, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
J Homosex 59:1382-402. 2012
..Effects included depression, guilt, anxiety, suicidal ideation, and alienation. Implications of the findings for support personnel are included...
- The effects of female genital mutilation on the onset of sexual activity and marriage in Guinea
Ronan Van Rossem
Vakgroep Sociologie, Universiteit Gent, Korte Meer 3 5, 9000, Ghent, Belgium
Arch Sex Behav 38:178-85. 2009
..Variations in sexual behavior, therefore, were unrelated to type of FGM, but reflected differences in the social characteristics of the participants...
- Religious leaders' response to AIDS in Nigeria
D N Ucheaga
Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Glob Public Health 5:611-25. 2010
..Public health organisations and policy-makers should be aware of these denominational differences as they engage with religious institutions and leaders in HIV prevention and care...
- Sexual rights and gender roles in a religious context
Institute of Ultrasonography and Ultrasound Clinic, Karachi 75400, Pakistan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 106:151-5. 2009
- Adolescent dysphoria, sexual behavior and spirituality
Allan M Josephson
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville, 200 E Chestnut Street, Louisville, KY, USA
South Med J 100:633-4. 2007
- Male circumcision through the ages: the role of tradition
Department of Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Surgical Unit, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Acta Paediatr 97:1305-7. 2008
..In this study, we examine the evolution of tradition concerning infant male circumcision, utilizing evidence from classical medical texts as well as information from literature, legal sources and art...
- [Social actors in HIV/AIDS prevention: opposition and interests in educational policy in Mexico, 1994-2000]
José Arturo Granados-Cosme
Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Calzada del Hueso 1100, Col Villa Quietud 04960, Coyoacan, Mexico DF, Mexico
Cad Saude Publica 23:535-44. 2007
..Government has given in to some demands by partially modifying the textbook contents. The current analysis proposes to reflect on the potential repercussions of such actions on the control of the epidemic...
- "Worse than dogs and pigs?" Attitudes toward homosexual practice in Zimbabwe
Department of Religious Studies, Classics and Philosophy, University of Zimbabwe, Mt Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Homosex 57:634-49. 2010
..Finally, the article will discuss how Christian churches and traditional Shona culture come to terms with homosexual practice today...
- Modes of (in)tolerance: South African Muslims and same-sex relationships
School of Law, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Cult Health Sex 14:269-82. 2012
..Community attitudes to homosexuality usually involve denial and secrecy in order to maintain the social fabric of daily life and relationships between community members...
- Naming, blaming, and claiming in public disputes: the 1998 Maine referendum on civil rights protection for gay men and lesbians
Department of Management, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University Bloomington, 47405, USA
J Homosex 44:61-82. 2002
..Finally, I offer suggestions for argument strategies in future campaigns that could strengthen uncommitted voters' support for gay civil rights initiatives...
- Homosexuality: representing the devil or a spiritual gift? Two opposing views in the same Marian devotion
Institute for Gender Studies, Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands
J Homosex 60:31-50. 2013
..85). The devotion to the Lady of All Nations serves as a site for promoting competing discourses ( Hermkens, Jansen, & Notermans, 2009 )...
- Methods of semen collection not based on masturbation or surgical sperm retrieval
Department of Obstetrics Gynaecology Fertility, Fertility Clinic, Middelheim Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Hum Reprod Update 5:211-5. 1999
..Sperm production techniques such as vibro- and electrostimulation are dealt with elsewhere, as are surgical retrieval techniques used in azoospermia...
- Abstinence promotion under PEPFAR: the shifting focus of HIV prevention for youth
John S Santelli
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Glob Public Health 8:1-12. 2013
..Primary prevention programmes within PEPFAR are essential and nations must be able to design HIV prevention based on local needs and prevention science...
- Sexuality and 'silence' among Khasi youth of Meghalaya, Northeast India
Ryntihlin Jennifer War
a Department of Allied Health Sciences, Martin Luther Christian University, Meghalaya, India
Cult Health Sex 15:S351-64. 2013
..Many had unrealistic images of what constituted 'normal' sex and also blamed women for rape. The majority of indigenous students expressed the need for non-judgmental fora for discussions on sexual health and for sexuality education. ..
- The association between religiosity, sexual fantasy, participation in sexual acts, sexual enjoyment, exposure, and reaction to sexual materials among black South Africans
L J Nicholas
Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of Durban Westville, Durban, South Africa
J Sex Marital Ther 30:37-42. 2004
..Participants who were more religious were less likely to have been exposed to almost all types of sexual material and were more likely to disapprove of almost all types of sexual material...
- "There's a man in my bed": the first experience of sex among Modern-Orthodox newlyweds in Israel
Zefat Academic College, Social Work, Zefat, Israel
J Sex Marital Ther 39:40-55. 2013
..The findings might also support professionals and sex therapists in addressing newlywed couples' needs in similar traditional populations...
- Death in the Hippodrome: sexual politics and legal culture in the reign of Mehmet IV
University of California, Irvine
Past Present 210:61-91. 2011
- Knowledge: a possible tool in shaping medical professionals' attitudes towards homosexuality
Clinic for Psychiatry, Clinical Centre of Serbia, Belgrade, Pasterova 2, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Psychiatr Danub 24:143-51. 2012
..The study evaluated the medical professionals' knowledge about homosexuality and their attitudes towards it...
- Testing two process models of religiosity and sexual behavior
Sara A Vasilenko
The Prevention Research Center and Methodology Center, Pennsylvania State University, USA
J Adolesc 36:667-73. 2013
..Testing Two Process Models of Religiosity and Sexual Behavior. ..
- Adolescents, contraception and confidentiality: a national survey of obstetrician--gynecologists
Ryan E Lawrence
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Contraception 84:259-65. 2011
- Faith-based sex education programs: what they look like and who uses them
Carol R Freedman-Doan
Psychology Department, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
J Relig Health 52:247-62. 2013
..Findings from this study lay the groundwork for exploring whether these programs have an impact on adolescents' sexual behaviors...
- Islam, sexuality, and the marginal positioning of Pengkids and their girlfriends in malaysia
Department of Women s Studies, College of Arts and Humanities, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Lesbian Stud 16:435-48. 2012
- My Qarina, my self: The homoerotic as Islamic feminism in Alifa Rifaat's "My World of the Unknown"
Diya M Abdo
English Department, Guilford College, Greensboro, North Carolina 27410, USA
J Lesbian Stud 16:398-415. 2012
..Rifaat reinterprets Islamic teachings and Arabic folklore to show how women's sexuality must be revered rather than feared...
- The wages of sin: how the discovery of penicillin reshaped modern sexuality
Andrew M Francis
Department of Economics, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arch Sex Behav 42:5-13. 2013
..Together, the findings supported the notion that the discovery of penicillin decreased the cost of syphilis and thereby played an important role in shaping modern sexuality...
- "Maricón," "pájaro," and "loca": Cuban and Puerto Rican linguistic practices, and sexual minority participation, in U.S. Santería
Department of Sociology, American University, Washington, DC, USA
J Homosex 58:901-18. 2011
..Through the use of distinctive language to reference all of these populations, we may rethink the relationship between identities and practices, and within that, gender presentations vis a vis identities...
- Coming Out à l'oriental: Maghrebi-French performances of gender, sexuality, and religion
Denis M Provencher
Department of Modern Languages, The University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland 21250, USA
J Homosex 58:812-33. 2011
- Paraphilias across cultures: contexts and controversies
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, SE5 8AF, England
J Sex Res 47:242-56. 2010
- Marriage and family therapists' comfort working with lesbian and gay male clients: the influence of religious practices and support for lesbian and gay male human rights
Mary S Green
Department of Family Sciences, Texas Woman s University, Denton, Texas, USA
J Homosex 57:1258-73. 2010
..When support for lesbian and gay male human rights was considered, the level of religious practices was no longer predictive of comfort working with lesbian and gay male clients...
- Influence of family, religion, and social conformity on client participation in sexual reorientation therapy
Elaine M Maccio
School of Social Work, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
J Homosex 57:441-58. 2010
..The findings are essential for preparing practitioners in any clinical practice setting to work with clients struggling with their sexuality...
- Identifying the causal pathways from religiosity to delayed adolescent sexual behavior
Shawnika J Hull
School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Sex Res 48:543-53. 2011
..Religiosity at baseline was also negatively associated with scores on the sexual behavior index one year later. These results suggest that religiosity offers protective effects for both coital and noncoital sexual behaviors...
- We are family: I got all my sisters with me!
Mary Kay Hunyady
J Lesbian Stud 12:293-300. 2008
..Issues of privacy, danger from outside the "family", and being stigmatized are acknowledged. The author comments on the unique qualities of a "cyber-family" and compares the listserv with other kinds of families...
- "Hooking up" among college students: demographic and psychosocial correlates
Jesse J Owen
Psychology Department, Gannon University, 109 University Square, Erie, PA 16541, USA
Arch Sex Behav 39:653-63. 2010
..Based on these findings, suggestions for psychoeducational programming are offered. Additionally, directions for future research are provided...
- A unique betrayal: clergy sexual abuse in the context of the catholic religious tradition
Joseph J Guido
Department of Psychology, Providence College, Providence, RI 02918 0001, USA
J Child Sex Abus 17:255-69. 2008
..The implications of this violation of meaning are significant for victims of clergy abuse, and are important for therapists to understand. In this sense, healing the mind may also require healing the soul...
- The relation between sexual behavior and religiosity subtypes: a test of the secularization hypothesis
Melissa A Farmer
Department of Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 38:852-65. 2009
..Findings suggested that the use of religious subtypes to evaluate religious differences, rather than solely affiliation, may yield useful insights into the link between religion and sexual behavior...
- The role of religion in shaping sexual frequency and satisfaction: evidence from married and unmarried older adults
Michael J McFarland
Department of Sociology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78705, USA
J Sex Res 48:297-308. 2011
..The study proposes and tests several hypotheses about the relationship between religion and sex among these two groups of older Americans, using nationally representative data from the National Social Life,..
- Dance and sexuality: many moves
Judith Lynne Hanna
Departments of Dance and Anthropology, University of Maryland, College Park, Bethesda, MD 20817, USA
J Sex Res 47:212-41. 2010
..Directions for future exploration are addressed...
- Agapé Christian reconciliation conversations: exploring the intersections of culture, religiousness, and homosexual identity in Latino and European americans
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College, San Francisco, California 94114, USA
J Homosex 57:98-116. 2010
..The data illustrates a positive trend in changing attitudes towards homosexuality in the Latino Christian community...
- Navigating Islam and same-sex liaisons among men in Turkey
Women s College Research Institute, Women s College Hospital, 790 Bay Street, Room 740, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Homosex 55:204-22. 2008
- Ancient history of congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Maria I New
Pediatric Endocrinology, Genetics, and Genomics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustav L Levy Place, New York, N Y 10029, USA
Endocr Dev 20:202-11. 2011
..Although there are many erudite reports on the history of endocrinology and endocrine disorders, the history of congenital adrenal hyperplasia has not been published. I have tried to review ancient as well as modern history of CAH...
- ["If a woman has a big head": physiognomy and feminine nature in an Assyro-Babylonian text]
Erica Couto Ferreira
Institut Universitari d Història J Vicens i Vives, Barcelona
Asclepio 60:19-36. 2008
..On the other hand, I deal with the elements that characterize this female perception, basically, the image of the ideal woman centred on motherhood, and, in close relation to this, the dangers that threaten women's life during pregnancy...
- Exploring the relationship between sexual orientation and religious identities for Jewish lesbian college students
Elisa S Abes
Department of Educational Leadership, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056, USA
J Lesbian Stud 15:205-25. 2011
..Suggestions for educational practice are offered...
- Divine targets: youth at the centre of Catholic and Pentecostal responses to HIV and AIDS in Brazil
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Columbia University, New York, USA
Cult Health Sex 13:657-68. 2011
..We discuss the political economy of youth in religious institutions' responses to HIV and AIDS within the context of Brazil's high levels of religious mobility as well as the broader, global commodification of spirituality and religion...
- Religious support, motives for having large families, and psychological functioning among religious Jewish mothers
Jeffery P Bjorck
Graduate School of Psychology, Fuller Theological Seminary, 180 North Oakland Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
J Relig Health 50:177-94. 2011
..Finally, several significant interactions between religious support and maternal motivation emerged and are also discussed...
- Lesbian quarters: on building space, identity, institutional memory and resources
J Lesbian Stud 9:31-43. 2005
- At the intersection of church and gay: a review of the psychological research on gay and lesbian christians
Eric M Rodriguez
Social Science Department, New York City College of Technology, City University of New York, Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA
J Homosex 57:5-38. 2010
- Religion, HIV/AIDS and sexual risk-taking among men in Ghana
Stephen Obeng Gyimah
Department of Sociology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Biosoc Sci 42:531-47. 2010
..This finding could benefit programmatic and policy formulation regarding AIDS prevention in Ghana...
- Male genital self-mutilation as a psychotic solution
Ataturk University, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Erzurum, Turkey
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 47:297-303. 2010
..The eponym Klingsor Syndrome, which involves the presence of religious delusions, is proposed for GSM...
- Rights to emergency contraception
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 106:160-3. 2009
- Thunder among the pines: defining a pan-Asian soma
University of Delaware, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 41:67-84. 2009
..Japan's tradition of esoteric Buddhism can thus be seen to have preserved and incorporated the soma/amrita mushroom lore into its own traditions of mountain ascetic mystics...
- Religious teachings and influences on the ABCs of HIV prevention in Malawi
Arizona State University, School of Social and Family Dynamics, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
Soc Sci Med 69:199-209. 2009
- Irish university students' support for the human rights of lesbian women and gay men
Todd G Morrison
School of Psychology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
J Homosex 56:387-400. 2009
..Limitations of this study and avenues for further inquiry are articulated...
- The charisma and deception of reparative therapies: when medical science beds religion
André P Grace
Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Homosex 55:545-80. 2008
..Spitzer's research. I conclude with a consideration of research needed to measure whether efficacious change in sexual orientation is possible...
- Religiosity, sexual behaviors, and sexual attitudes during emerging adulthood
Eva S Lefkowitz
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Sex Res 41:150-9. 2004
..The findings support reference group theory and highlight the importance of considering the specific constructs of religiosity and sexuality assessed in studies of these topics...
- Gene-environment contributions to young adult sexual partnering
Carolyn T Halpern
Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 8120, 27599 7445, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7445, USA
Arch Sex Behav 36:543-54. 2007
..These findings underscore the necessity of using more comprehensive multiple gene-multiple life experience approaches to investigations of complex behaviors such as sexual patterns...
- [The place of Margaret of Navarre's Comedy of Four Women (1542) in the discourse on voluntary celibacy as a model of felicity from Ariosto to Gabrielle Suchon]
Renaiss Reform 26:113-39. 2002
- The impact of the clergy abuse scandal on parish communities
Paul M Kline
Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
J Child Sex Abus 17:290-300. 2008
..These themes are examined through the prism of selected literature and implications for promoting personal and institutional recovery are discussed...
- Family, cultural and gender role aspects in the context of HIV risk among African American women of unidentified HIV status: an exploratory qualitative study
S L Jarama
NOVA Research Company, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
AIDS Care 19:307-17. 2007
..HIV-prevention messages that consider their views of relationships, gender roles, sexual abuse history and the role of the church are suggested...
- Break the silence: HIV/AIDS knowledge, attitudes, and educational needs among Arab university students in United Arab Emirates
Department of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Public Health, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
J Adolesc Health 40:572.e1-8. 2007
- Gay, Orthodox, and trembling: the rise of Jewish Orthodox gay consciousness, 1970s-2000s
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3175, USA
J Homosex 52:91-109. 2007
..Amazingly, since the 1970s, thousands of gays and lesbians have given up on liberal environments and joined the ranks of traditionalist Jewish congregations...
- Religiosity, denominational affiliation and sexual behaviors among people with HIV in the United States
Frank H Galvan
Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, 1731 East 120th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
J Sex Res 44:49-58. 2007
..We did not observe a difference between Catholics and Evangelicals in the three sexual behaviors investigated. Results suggest that religiosity and some religious teachings may promote safer sex among people with HIV...
- Reclaiming the past to inform the future: contemporary views of Maori sexuality
National Institute of Research Excellence for Maori Development and Advancement, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Cult Health Sex 9:415-27. 2007
..The implications of these findings for the sexual rights and health of indigenous peoples, as well as for the ongoing development of Maori communities, is discussed...
- Male circumcision, religion, and infectious diseases: an ecologic analysis of 118 developing countries
Paul K Drain
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
BMC Infect Dis 6:172. 2006
..Most studies have been limited in size and have not adequately controlled for religion, so these relationships remain unclear...
- Associations between religiosity and sexuality in a representative sample of Australian adults
Richard O de Visser
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Arch Sex Behav 36:33-46. 2007
..The results of this study highlight the importance of considering not only religion or religiosity, but the intersection between these two variables...