Summary: A written account of a person's life and the branch of literature concerned with the lives of people. (Harrod's Librarians' Glossary, 7th ed)
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- Preserved painting creativity in an artist with Alzheimer's diseaseL R Fornazzari
Geriatric Mental Health Program, Multilingual Multicultural Memory Clinic, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Neurol 12:419-24. 2005..We are reporting the case of a talented artist with the diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer disease (AD) with progressive cognitive impairment but with preservation of her creativity until very late in the course of the disease...
- [Eventful life stories. Members of student fraternities persecuted in Silesia in the early 19th century]Walter Schmidt
Wurzbg Medizinhist Mitt 22:449-521. 2003....
- Memories and history of Hansen's disease in Brazil told by witnesses (1960-2000)Laurinda Rosa Maciel
Casa de Oswaldo Cruz Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Hist Cienc Saude Manguinhos 10:308-35. 2003....
- [History of the rhenish and alsacian contributions to the understanding of diabetes]Jean Marie Brogard
Hist Sci Med 38:421-32. 2004....
- Neurobiographies: writing lives in the history of neurology and the neurosciencesThomas Söderqvist
Department of History of Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Bredgade 62, DK 1260 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Hist Neurosci 11:38-48. 2002..Finally, a recent cooperative biography of Charcot is mentioned as an example of how the biographical genre can help overcome the alleged dichotomy ..
- Judith Rich Harris: the Miss Marple of developmental psychologyElisabeth Wesseling
Sci Context 17:293-314. 2004..While historical studies investigate how repertoires for scientific self-fashioning evolve through time, rhetoric reveals how identity models from an earlier age may be appropriated in the present...
- [Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire (1772-1844) and anencephaly: Contribution of one naturalist to medical knowledge]Pierre Charon
Hist Sci Med 38:365-83. 2004..His works will be continued by his son, Isidore, doctor, who is considered as the Teratology science founder...
- Pioneers of Ayurveda during Nizam-VIIK Venkatramaraju
Assistant Research Officer Ay, Indian Institute of History of Medicine, OMC Building, Putlibowli, Hyderabad 500 095
Bull Indian Inst Hist Med Hyderabad 32:43-9. 2002..I.I.H.M. Vol. 18, No. 1, Jan 1998, pp. 67-84. The life sketch of nine pioneers of Ayruveda who established the system of Ayurveda on the track during the rule of Nizam - VII - Mir Osman Ali Khan Bahadur are presented here...
- [Artistic creativity and bipolar mood disorder]Zoltan Janka
Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Szent Györgyi Albert Orvos és Gyógyszerésztudományi Centrum, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, Pszichiatriai Klinika
Orv Hetil 145:1709-18. 2004..Several studies and theories propose a connection between psychopathology and artistic creativity i.e. madness and genius characters share common roots...
- Imagining The Sociological Imagination: the biographical context of a sociological classicJohn D Brewer
Department of Sociology, University of Aberdeen
Br J Sociol 55:317-33. 2004..This approach is adopted in order to display the intersection between biography and sociology in Mills's life and career, a feature that he made a central part of sociology's promise...
- From cAMP to adenosine: an illuminating shift of focusKresimir Krnjevic
Physiology Department, McGill University, Montreal, QC Canada
Neurol Res 27:129-36. 2005..Starting in Australia, he settled in North America, first in Canada, then in the USA, where his long tenure at Wayne State brought his career to its culmination...
- Lessor known ayurvedic physicians from an Urdu book Rumoozul Atibba: part IIS A Husain
Assistant Research Officer Ay Indian Institute of History of Medicine, Osmania Medical College Building, Putlibowli, Hyderabad 500 095 India
Bull Indian Inst Hist Med Hyderabad 32:57-61. 2002..Vol XXVI (1996). This article contains only three biographies of Ayurvedic physicians...
- Delusion in general and forensic psychiatry--historical and contemporary aspectsPaul Hoff
University of Zurich, Department of General and Social Psychiatry, Lenggstrasse 31, P O Box 1931, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Behav Sci Law 24:241-55. 2006..Due to the complex features of delusions, research in this area may well become paradigmatic for many other complicated psycho(patho)logical phenomena, e.g. consciousness, hallucinations and psychotic depression...
- Tell me a story: MMPI responses and personal biography in the case of a serial killerDavid S Nichols
Pacific University, USA
J Pers Assess 86:242-62. 2006..In this article, I illustrate a contrasting approach, one that emphasizes MMPI items and scales as instruments of personal biography, with the case of the serial murderer Jeffrey Dahmer.
- Skulls, brains, and memorial culture: on cerebral biographies of scientists in the nineteenth centuryMichael Hagner
Max Planck Institut fur Wissenschaftsgeschichte, Berlin
Sci Context 16:195-218. 2003..It was only in this context that moral reservations about dissecting the brains of geniuses could be overcome, which led to a more systematic investigation of brains of geniuses after 1860...
- Jung's livesAlan C Elms
University of California, Davis, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 41:331-46. 2005..Each work is briefly reviewed in terms of its scope, its main contributions to the biographical literature on Jung, and its principal shortcomings. A short list of selected readings on Jung's life is recommended...
- Qualitative and quantitative analyses of historical dataDean Keith Simonton
Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616 8686, USA
Annu Rev Psychol 54:617-40. 2003..The article closes by presenting the reasons why (a) psychologists will probably continue to use historical data and (b) quantitative analyses may eventually replace qualitative analyses in such applications...
- Prosopagnosia in biographies and autobiographiesThomas Grüter
Department of Psychological Basic Research, Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Perception 36:299-301. 2007..In this paper we present an autobiography and a biography describing five cases of congenital prosopagnosia...
- [The hospitale of the town of Pécs (South-Hungary) in the 14-16. centuries]Tamás Fedeles
Orvostort Kozl 48:117-26. 2003..The persons heading the hospital worked at the same time as parsons at the city-parish St. Bartholomew. The article contains also the biographical data of the directors...
- Achieving women and declining sex ratiosValerie J Grant
Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ
Hum Biol 75:917-27. 2003Professionally written biographies of 353 women selected for inclusion in two volumes of a dictionary of biography were analyzed separately for data on family structure, occupation, and personality characteristics...
- Personality, biographical characteristics, and job interview success: a longitudinal study of the mediating effects of interviewing self-efficacy and the moderating effects of internal locus of causalityCheryl Tay
Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
J Appl Psychol 91:446-54. 2006..Locus of causality attributions for interview outcomes moderated the relationship between interview success and subsequent I-SE. Theoretical and practical implications are discussed...
- [Studies on the kidney and the renal circulation, by Josep Trueta i Raspall (1897-1977)]Fariña L A Pérez
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital POVISA, Vigo, Pontevedra
Actas Urol Esp 32:276-80. 2008..One of the most outstanding fruits of this investigation is the book "Studies on renal circulation", first published in English in 1947 (Oxford), then in Spanish in 1949 (Barcelona)...
- 'One health' in action series: nos 1-8Laura H Kahn
Physician Research Scholar, Program on Science and Global Security, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, 221 Nassau Street, 2nd Floor, Princeton, New Jersey 08542, USA
Vet Ital 45:195-208. 2009..net. Please include your curriculum vitae or brief biography, title, degree(s), affiliation and address consistent with those currently acknowledged as 'One Health - One ..
- [Tributes to Macdonald Critchley and his achievements in neurolinguistics]Tsu Pei Hung
College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Acta Neurol Taiwan 17:127-31. 2008..He died peacefully at home at the age of 97 and entered the pantheon of distinguished neuroscientists of the 20th century...
- [Not Available]M H Bickel
Medizinhistorisches Institut, Bern, Switzerland
NTM 8:129-48. 2000..born between 1800 and 1900 have been selected, mainly by citation frequency, for a study in comparative biography. They originated in Germany, U.S.A., U.K., France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria...
- Pierre Auger--a life in the service of scienceL Persson
Division of Nuclear Safety, IAEA, Vienna, Austria
Acta Oncol 35:785-7. 1996A short biography of Pierre Auger, the discoverer of the atomic auger electron effect, is given...
- [Coping psychologically with amputation]M Schulz
Amputierte e V, Wermelskirchen
Vasa 38:72-4. 2009An amputation is a "tragic event" in someone's biography which causes a dramatic change in the outer appearance, the loss of mobility, independence and self esteem...
- [20 years' of the Psychiatric Section of the Serbian Medical Society-Society of Physicians of Vojvodina (1982-2001)]Milorad Curcić
Zdravstveni centar Dr Gere Istvan, Sluzba za neuropsihijatriju, 24400 Senta, Karadordeva bb
Med Pregl 55:153-60. 2002..Since then, it has a presidency, a president and a secretary appointed by its assembly for a two-year period...
- [Breakup during twilight--the development of child and adolescent psychiatry during the time of forced sterilisation and child euthanasia in national socialism]Jan Nedoschill
Praxis für Kinder und Jugendpsychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Herzogenaurach
Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr 58:504-17. 2009..A distinct and satisfactory understanding has not taken place during postwar period in Germany. However, in the meantime there has grown an awareness and also a consternation about the incidents due to research and publications...
- Predicting social isolation among geriatric psychiatry patientsTrevor Frise Smith
Department of Sociology, Nipissing University, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Int Psychogeriatr 21:50-9. 2009..Specifically, it examines the associations of diagnoses, psychiatric history, and measures of current functioning with social isolation...
- Bibliotherapy: the therapeutic use of didactic and literary texts in treatment, diagnosis, prevention, and trainingLawrence I Silverberg
J Am Osteopath Assoc 103:131-5. 2003..bibliotherapy: didactic texts, which are instructive, and imaginative literature, which can be a literary text, biography, or autobiography and fosters an imaginative response from the patient-reader...
- The lion of the union: the pelvic wound of Joshua Lawrence ChamberlainW J Harmon
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78250, USA
J Urol 163:713-6. 2000..Urosepsis is listed as the cause of death on his death certificate and whether this was true is debatable. However, even if this wound did not cause his death, it surely contributed to it...
- [Biography and analysis of the urologic works of Dr. Nicasio Benlloch Giner (1888-1957) (I)]José Antonio Cánovas Ivorra
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital General Universitario, Valencia, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 57:581-4. 2004..Rafael Mollá Rodrigo. Dr. Nicasio Benlloch Giner (1888-1957) did the same at the beginning of the XX century when he came back from the professional school of George Marion, contributing to the consolidation of this speciality...
- [Biography and analysis of the urologic works of Dr. Nicasio Benlloch Giner (1888-1957) (II)]José Antonio Cánovas Ivorra
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital General Universitario, Valencia, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 57:585-94. 2004..Rafael Mollá Rodrigo. Dr. Nicasio Benlloch Giner (1888-1957) did the same at the beginning of the XX century when he came back from the professional school of George Marion, contributing to the consolidation of this speciality...
- [The intervention of Dr Francisco Díaz in the inquisitorial process against Elena/o de Cespedes, a transsexual surgeon found guilty by the Inquistion in Toledo in 1587]Emilio Maganto Pavón
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 60:873-86. 2007..Except for the reference by Folch Jou and Burshatin, both short and incomplete, no other author or biographer of the famous surgeon had cited this episode of his life, which to our judgment could mean a great damage to his reputation...
- Searching for behavioral indicators of bipolar II in patients presenting with major depressive episodes: the "red sign," the "rule of three" and other biographic signs of temperamental extravagance, activation and hypomaniaHagop S Akiskal
International Mood Center, University of California at San Diego, V A Hospital 3350, La Jolla Village Dr 116 A, San Diego CA 92161, USA
J Affect Disord 84:279-90. 2005....
- Early retirement and work after retirement. Implications for the structure of the work societyH J Freter
Free University of Berlin, Institute of Sociology, FRG
Compr Gerontol B 2:44-52. 1988..their concept of a "full work life", which is based on the time-table of the socially institutionalized normal biography; but this is offset by their desire to leave stressful work situations at least where the schemes for early ..
- [A historical perspective on the health of boys and male adolescents (1780-2010)]Martin Dinges
Institut für Geschichte der Medizin der Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stuttgart
Med Ges Gesch 29:97-121. 2010..The paper first describes specific problems in the biography (babies, child labour, tuberculosis, school, fitness for military service) and their solutions up to the time of ..
- Quality of life, food choice and meal patterns - field report of a practitionerAlfred T Hoffmann
IQ Innovative Qualifikation in der Altenpflege GmbH, Bad Arolsen, Deutschland
Ann Nutr Metab 52:20-4. 2008..During the course of life everyone develops his very individual biography of eating. This includes eating habits, food choice, and meal patterns...
- The James Lind Library: explaining and illustrating the evolution of fair tests of medical treatmentsI Chalmers
James Lind Initiative, Oxford, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 38:259-64. 2008..A multinational, multilingual editorial team oversees the development of the website, which currently receives tens of thousands of visitors every month...
- Coping with chronic disease, dying and death--a contribution to competence in old ageA Kruse
Compr Gerontol C 1:1-11. 1987..The studies show that coping with chronic disease, dying and death are highly influenced by biography, by subjective evaluation of the past, present and future, and by access to a supportive intra- and ..
- Demographics of the UK cystic fibrosis population: implications for neonatal screeningJonathan McCormick
The UK CF Database, Tayside Institute of Child Health, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 10:583-90. 2002..Screen-positive, non-Caucasian infants without an identifiable CFTR mutation should be referred for a sweat test and genetic counselling when serum trypsinogen concentrations remain elevated after birth...
- HIV-positive men who have sex with men: biography, diversity in lifestyles, common experience of living with HIV. ANRS-EN12 VESPA Study, 2003France Lert
INSERM, Hôpital Paul Brousse Bat, Villejuif, France
AIDS Care 22:71-80. 2010..Few studies question possible differences according to varying sexual biography and current behaviour within the MSM population...
- [The teaching of Dr. Francisco Romero Aguirre]Mariano Pérez Albacete
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Murcia, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 60:949-57. 2007....
- [The 100th anniversary of Gustav Wilhelm Störring's "Lectures on Psychopathology". A review of his early years]H Steinberg
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie, Universitat Leipzig
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 68:243-9. 2000..Störring's biography is followed until 1902 when he was appointed professor of philosophy of Zurich University, in which his friend ..
- The authority of human nature: the Schädellehre of Franz Joseph GallJohn Van Wyhe
Department of History and Philosophy of Science, Cambridge, UK
Br J Hist Sci 35:17-42. 2002..The first of two sections in the essay, therefore, introduces Gall's biography and the context in which his provocative science emerged...
- Illustrations from the Wellcome Library William Winstanley's pestilential poesies in "The Christians refuge: or heavenly antidotes against the plague in this time of generall contagion to which is added the charitable physician (1665)"Kathleen Miller
School of English, ARTS Building, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
Med Hist 55:241-50. 2011..1665), William Winstanley veered from his better known roles as arbiter of success and failure in his works of biography or as a comic author under the pseudonym Poor Robin, and instead engaged with his reading audience as a plague ..
- Group reminiscence among people with end-stage chronic lung diseasesH Jonsdottir
University of Iceland, and Project Manager, University Hospital Vífilsstadir, Iceland
J Adv Nurs 35:79-87. 2001..Reminiscence is considered an effective treatment for various groups of people, particularly the elderly...
- [Urologic work and biography of Prof. Rafael Alcalá Santaella (1896-1959). Historical document analysis]José Antonio Cánovas Ivorra
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital General de Valencia, Valencia, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 57:777-82. 2004..Numerous specialists contributed to this; among them we can cite Prof. Rafael Alcala Santaella, the object of this bibliographic and scientific works compilation paper...
- Gender constructions of male sex offenders in Germany: narrative analysis from group psychotherapyKathrin Moertl
Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University of Ulm, Am Hochstrasse 8, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Arch Sex Behav 39:203-12. 2010..The study further revealed whether the participants either accepted or rejected responsibility and guilt for their crimes; this is essential for psychotherapeutic process and treatment...
- The big ideas of Edgar Alexander Pask (1912-66)I D Conacher
J Med Biogr 18:44-8. 2010..The information is well known and has been widely publicized, along with most of the biography of Pask...
- Reading habits and attitude toward medical humanities of basic science students in a medical college in Western NepalP Ravi Shankar
Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
Teach Learn Med 20:308-13. 2008..The Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal, admits students from Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, and other countries to the undergraduate medical course...
- History of the surgical treatment of ulnar nerve compression at the elbowR H Bartels
Department of Neurosurgery, University Medical Center Nijmegen St Radboud, The Netherlands
Neurosurgery 49:391-9; discussion 399-400. 2001..Historical insight improves understanding of current techniques and provides the basis for the development of new methods. Which treatment method is best is the topic of ongoing debate...
- From evidence based bioethics to evidence based social policiesLuc Bonneux
NIDI, PB 11650, Den Haag, 2502 AR, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 22:483-5. 2007..An evidence based social policy should be based on effective interventions that are able to break the vicious circles of disability handed down from generation to generation...
- [Nursing contribution to the detection of risk factors for child abuse and neglect]Anne Grunau
Klinikum Stuttgart Olgahospital, Bismarkstrasse 8, D 70176 Stuttgart
Pflege 23:15-24. 2010..Aspects from the parents' biography, marked feelings of stress, and inadequate competencies or lack of competencies to perceive and fulfil the child'..
- [Giuseppe Attardi: mitochondrial genetic system and its influence in the study of the mitochondrial diseases]J Montoya
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Celular, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Espana
Rev Neurol 47:483-7. 2008To describe the scientific contributions and biography of Giuseppe Attardi (1923-2008), in particular his work on the human mitochondrial genetic system of crucial importance for the discovery and understanding of the mechanisms that ..
- Community influences on white racial attitudes: what matters and why?Marylee C Taylor
Pennsylvania State University
Sociol Q 52:220-43. 2011..However, the economic dimension of SES exerts negligible influence on white racial attitudes, suggesting that local processes other than scapegoating must be at work...
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's psychopathology in light of the current conceptualization of psychiatric disordersPhilippe Huguelet
Department of Psychiatry of Geneva, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, 36, rue du XXXI Décembre, CH 1207 Geneva, Switzerland
Psychiatry 68:130-9. 2005The study of Mozart's letters and biography leads us to reconsider the psychiatric disorders from which he suffered...
- Wittgenstein's personality and his relations with Freud's thoughtMauro Mancia
Int J Psychoanal 83:161-77. 2002..His personality is found to have narcissistic aspects that moulded his behaviour and thought, and the author contends that his mental suffering caused him to apply psychological and psychoanalytic categories to his philosophy...
- [Forgotten great men of medicine--Baron Dominique Jean Larrey (1766-1842)]Vladimir Gajić
Zavod za hitnu medicinsku pomoć Kragujevac
Med Pregl 64:97-100. 2011b>BIOGRAPHY: Baron Dominique Jean Larrev was a French army surgeon who rose to become a surgeon-in-chief of Napoleon's Grande Armée...
- [Alfredo Tramoyeres Cases (1910-2002): first chairman of the Department of Urology at the Ciudad Sanitaria La Fe. Documentary-historical analysis of his works]José Antonio Cánovas Ivorra
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital General Universitario, Valencia
Arch Esp Urol 57:1063-71. 2004..Alfredo Tramoyeres Cases was the first chairman of the Department of Urology. This article reviews his long and fertile professional life...
- A self-psychological approach to the study of biography: the interplay of narratives in psychoanalysis and biographySandra G Hershberg
Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, Training and Supervising Analyst, Bethesda, Maryland 20817, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1159:139-49. 2009This chapter is an exploration of the psychoanalytic aspects of biography and the biographical aspects of psychoanalysis...
- [The disciples of Goroji Nakagawa and their practice of vaccination in the northern area of Japan]Akitomo Matsuki
Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology
Nihon Ishigaku Zasshi 54:339-58. 2008..Thus Hino could distribute much lymph among many physicians in the west half of Japan. Considering the above matters, we can conclude that Nakagawa's method had a significant influence on the history of Jennerian vaccination in Japan...
- Stanislaw Smreczynskis legacy and the Department of Zoology of the Jagiellonian University of Krakow (Poland)Mariusz K Jaglarz
Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Int J Dev Biol 52:109-14. 2008..to Professor Stanislaw Smreczynski (1899-1975), the founding father of the Department, and comments on his biography and research achievements in the field of animal experimental embryology...
- Asklepian dreams: the ethos of the wounded-healer in the clinical encounterLaurence J Kirmayer
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University
Transcult Psychiatry 40:248-77. 2003..hierarchically: explicit technical action is embedded in levels of organization that reflect the personality and biography of the clinician, which in turn, are embedded in a larger matrix of cultural values or ethos...
- Could Balint have done more for Ferenczi?Judit Mészáros
Postgraduate Program of Psychotherapy, Imre Haynal Medical School, Hungary
Am J Psychoanal 63:239-55. 2003..In the third volume of the Freud biography, Jones alleged that in the last years of his life Ferenczi suffered mental deterioration caused by the ..
- From education to occupation: the story of Thomas Bessell KidnerJudith Friedland
Department of Occupational Therapy and Occupational Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Occup Ther 74:27-37. 2007..Thomas Bessell Kidner is well-known in the United States as a great contributor to occupational therapy. He is not well-known in Canada despite the fact that his first contributions to the profession were made here between 1900 and 1918...
- The psychosocial impacts of multimedia biographies on persons with cognitive impairmentsThecla Damianakis
School of Social Work, University of Windsor, 401 Sunset Avenue, Ontario, Canada N9B 3P4
Gerontologist 50:23-35. 2010..We developed a procedure for using digital video technology to construct DVD-based MBs of persons with AD or MCI, documented their responses to observing their MBs, and evaluated the psychosocial benefits...
- [Not Available]M T Monti
Centro di studi del pensiero filosofico del 500 e del 600 in relazione ai problemi della scienza, Milano, Italie
Rev Hist Pharm (Paris) 47:107-27. 1994The intellectual biography of Jacques Daviel (1693-1762) offers unexpected opportunities to recall fundamental steps in the history of scientific ideas, academic institutions and surgical techniques...
- [The life of Maurice Virenque (1888-1946). From "Gueules CassÃ©es" to cervicofacial facelift]J Vrebos
Service honoraire, , Bruxelles, Belgique
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 43:169-74. 1998When going through the biography and bibliography of M...
- [Mementos of the Berlin-Jewish ophthalmologist Oskar Fehr (1871-1959)]M Amm
Klinik für Ophthalmologie der Christian Albrechts Universität, Kiel, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Wien Klin Wochenschr 111:488-91. 1999..Disregarding political adversities and ignoring personal losses and hardships he dedicated his life to the service of human health...
- [Henri Moissan: the man, the collector, the teacher]C Viel
Faculté de pharmacie de Tours, 31, Avenue Monge, 37200 Tours, France
Ann Pharm Fr 66:34-8. 2008..In this presentation, we report the main elements of his biography, recalling the man, the teacher and the great collector of paintings and autographs, particularly from the ..
- Battered women's entrapment in shame: a phenomenological studyEli Buchbinder
University of Haifa, School of Social Work, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, Haifa, Israel
Am J Orthopsychiatry 73:355-66. 2003..Implications for intervention are suggested...
- [Medical doctor Lee Hyeon Yang's writings in Gokcheongsago]Kyoungjin Hur
Uisahak 17:177-89. 2008....
- C. Walton and F. JohnN E Shumway
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5247, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 68:S34-6. 1999This paper is a brief biography of two of the most important contributors to the development of open heart surgery...
- Professional aphasia care trusting the patient's competence while facing existential issuesMaria Nystrom
School of Health Sciences, Boras University, Boras, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 18:2503-10. 2009..The aim of this study was to complement 'expert' knowledge about speech-language therapy by studying the phenomenon of professional aphasia care from the patient's perspective...
- Who was the man who discovered the "Lewy bodies"?Antonio M Rodrigues e Silva
Department of Neurology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Mov Disord 25:1765-73. 2010..Our aim was to investigate Lewy's private and professional life and to gather information for a detailed biography. We contacted over 100 archives, libraries, and museums in Germany, Poland, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and ..
- Nash: genius with schizophrenia or vice versa?Tevita Funaki
Massey University, Auckland
Pac Health Dialog 15:129-37. 2009..Ron Howard directed the movie, A Beautiful Mind based on Nash's biography about his mathematical genius and his struggle with schizophrenia...
- The power of the Brown v. Board of Education decision: theorizing threats to sustainabilityMichelle Fine
Department of Psychology, City College of the City University of New York, New York, NY, USA
Am Psychol 59:502-10. 2004..Board of Education (1954) decision and the biography of its impact over time...
- Mental tools for thinking about DNA technologies in new waysRobert Root-Bernstein
Department of Physiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:263-5. 2002..To investigate the nature of creative thinking in biomedical science with specific applications to molecular pathologies and DNA technologies...
- Facts and fiction: the death of Saint Ignatius of LoyolaL D Rosenman
Department of Surgery, UCSF Mount Zion Hospital, University of California San Francisco, USA
Surgery 119:56-60. 1996BACKGROUND. The biography of Ignatius of Loyola, the sainted founder of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), ends with his death in curious circumstances. METHODS...
- Forty lives in the bebop business: mental health in a group of eminent jazz musiciansGeoffrey I Wills
Br J Psychiatry 183:255-9. 2003..Above-average levels of psychopathology have been demonstrated convincingly in groups of outstanding individuals working in the arts. Currently, jazz musicians have not been studied in this regard...
- Seeing the person behind the patient: enhancing the care of older people using a biographical approachAmanda Clarke
Department of Community, Ageing, Rehabilitation, Education and Research, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Clin Nurs 12:697-706. 2003....
- Magnus Strandqvist: 50th anniversary of his doctoral thesisM J Kajanti
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Acta Oncol 33:735-8. 1994..After a short biography of Strandqvist some central points of his work and their influence on future development of modern radiotherapy ..
- Biographical sketches of elderly African-American women in later lifeJean E Daniels
California State University, 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330, USA
J Women Aging 16:169-78. 2004..Their perceptions of personal joys and frustrations, plus attitudes about how race, not gender, was a significant factor in their lives, will be reported. Education and religion were life-long strengths in their lifestyle...
- A stitch in time: an experiment in collaborationRachel Morley
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
J Lesbian Stud 9:13-24. 2005Writing biography is rarely as straightforward as simply drawing together the threads of someone else's life...
- Effects of questions' repetition and variation on the efficiency of the guilty knowledge test: a reexaminationGershon Ben-Shakhar
Department of Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
J Appl Psychol 87:972-7. 2002..68, .81, and .99, respectively). These results demonstrate that a GKT based on multiple questions is superior to the use of many repetitions of a single or a few questions, and it can reach an almost perfect detection efficiency...
- I recognize your face, but I can't remember your name: a question of expertise?Rasha Abdel Rahman
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Q J Exp Psychol A 57:819-34. 2004..The experiments indicate that the relative speed of naming and semantic fact retrieval depends on the expertise with the semantic facts to be retrieved. Implications for models of face identification and naming are discussed...
- [Biography-oriented diagnostics in counselling of patients with chronic illness]Ingrid Darmann-Finck
Universitat Bremen, Fachbereich Human und Gesundheitswissenschaften, Studiengang Pflegewissenschaft, Grazer Strasse 6, D 28359 Bremen
Pflege 19:287-93. 2006..The article concludes with a discussion of prospective use of biographic diagnostics in counselling of patients with chronic illness...
- Individual characteristics associated with resilience in single-parent familiesAbraham P Greeff
Department of Psychology, Stellenbosch University, Matieland 7602, South Africa
Psychol Rep 96:36-42. 2005....
- The Hoffmann-Tinel sign. 1915P Hoffmann
Berufsgenossenschaftliches Unfallkrankenhaus, Hamburg, Germany
J Hand Surg Br 18:800-5. 1993..The translation of the two papers of Hoffmann, published in the same year that Tinel wrote his article (1915), is completed by a short biography of Paul Hoffmann.
- [Hippocratic legends]Young gon Sung
Department of Liberal Arts, Kwandong University College of Humanities
Uisahak 13:62-80. 2004..But in reality, or historically, the ancient Hippocratic Tradition is amalgamation of these two aspects...
- Did Ludwig's angina kill Ludwig?J Wasson
Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Lewisham, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 120:363-5. 2006..Could it be that Ludwig died of his own condition? This article combines a biography of Wilhelm Frederick von Ludwig with an overview of his eponymous condition and its management.
- A review and update of the microbiology of enhanced biological phosphorus removal in wastewater treatment plantsLinda L Blackall
Advanced Wastewater Management Centre, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 81:681-91. 2002..To preclude making the mistakes of previous researchers, it is recommended that the sludge 'biography' be well understood--i.e...
- Regulatory Fe(II/III) heme: the reconstruction of a molecule's biographyToni Kühl
Pharmaceutical Chemistry I, Pharmaceutical Institute, University of Bonn, Brühler Strasse 7, 53119 Bonn Germany
Chembiochem 15:2024-35. 2014..Diseases such as cancer or Alzheimer's disease highlight the reawakened interest in heme, whose function was previously believed to be completely understood. ..
- Informal care as relationship: the case of the Magnificent SevenK Jones
Health Related Social Science, Bournemonth University, Bournemonth, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 13:214-20. 2006..The case is made that their biographies impact upon their management of health and enduring illnesses within caring roles. Further biographic research within the caring profession is recommended...
- King Chulalongkorn: biography and his activities in medicine and public healthSomrat Charulukananan
Department of Anesthesiology and Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 86:S123-8. 2003..The result is that the Thai public learned rather little about his role in these areas. This article aims at collecting this and to show the King's very important role in modernizing medicine and public health in Siam...
- [EMG support in botulinum toxin treatment]G Monnier
Explorations et pathologies neuromusculaires, CHU Jean Minjoz, 3, Boulevard Fleming, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Ann Readapt Med Phys 46:380-5. 2003..The aim of this work is to sum up how the use of EMG improves BT therapy...
- [Ambroise Paré and the frog]S Louryan
Laboratoire d Anatomie et Embryologie, Faculte de Medecine, U L B, Bruxelles
Rev Med Brux 27:533-5. 2006..We present here a postmortem specimen of macrostomia, with CT scanner exploration. Differential diagnosis with a cyclotocephaly is discussed...
- A feminist history of Australian midwifery from colonisation until the 1980sLesley Barclay
Graduate School for Health Practice, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Women Birth 21:3-8. 2008..I draw on a range of biography, medical literature and work by sociologists and economic historians to produce a limited picture of the history ..
- The Osler industry: insightful history or insipid hagiography?Charles S Bryan
Department of Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
J Med Biogr 15:2-5. 2007..history as opposed to hagiography? The overarching purpose of this special issue of the Journal of Medical Biography is to present Osler as a real person from whom useful examples--both admirable and not so admirable--can be ..
- JUVENILE ONSET OCD AS A MEANINGFUL DEVELOPMENT SUBTYPEDaniel Geller; Fiscal Year: 2003..The Candidate's background, scientific biography, research objectives and career goals reveal a clear and constant trajectory and a coherent plan for a career ..
- Research Experience for Minorities at Community CollegeRam Nayar; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Health Revolutionary: The Life and Science of Ancel KeysSarah W Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Keys's accomplishments alone make him a worthy subject for a full scholarly biography, but his rebellious and bohemian spirit, his academic and personal wanderlust, his eloquence, and his ..
- Electrical stimulation reverses the effect of age on skeletal muscle regenerationFabrisia Ambrosio; Fiscal Year: 2013..Throughout my scientific biography, I have been committed to a career investigating cellular and rehabilitation- based therapies for the ..
- Secreted Wnt Inhibitors in the Biology of OsteosarcomaBang H Hoang; Fiscal Year: 2010..As evident from his biography, the candidate has demonstrated a steadfast commitment to a career in academic medicine...
- A Social History of Cesarean Section in the United StatesJACQUELINE HELENE WOLF; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Aging, Stress &Health among Gay-Identified Men: Linking Past and PresentRichard G Wight; Fiscal Year: 2013..independence concerns). A key feature of this conceptual model is the intersection of history with individual biography. The life course concept of trajectories will be operationalized as a latent class mixture model to create ..
- Interaction Affecting Craniofacial Muscle DifferentiatioDrew Noden; Fiscal Year: 2004..Collectively, these experiments will provide the first insights into the signals necessary for initiation and diverse differentiations of craniofacial muscles and the mechanisms by which remodeling of these head muscles occurs. ..
- PHILIPPE PINEL--CLINICIAN OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTIONDORA WEINER; Fiscal Year: 1991The broad long-term objective is to write a biography of Philippe Pinel (1745-1826) in the context of the intellectual and cultural history of nascent psychiatry...
- DIGITAL IMAGE ARCHIVE ON THE AMERICAN EUGENICS MOVEMENTDAVID MICKLOS; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition to extending the EAP's participation, we will initiate a fellowship in the history of eugenics to provide research assistance for the Archive. ..
- UTILIZING RESEARCH TO ENHANCE CLINICAL PRACTICERobert Bienkowski; Fiscal Year: 2001..Feedback will also be solicited three months after the conference. This conference is scheduled for October 2-3, 2001 in Des Moines, Iowa. ..
- LGBTQ Youth: Developmental Complexity In The Age Of HIVDORINDA WELLE; Fiscal Year: 2005..perspectives on the self, and risk behaviors in context, through which adolescents construct their own personal biography. Through life history and extensive follow-up interviewing, ethnographic observation, and the unique use of ..
- Young Drug Users and HIV Risk in Budapest, HungaryV Gyarmathy; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide new knowledge on young drug users in Hungary and will also contribute to advancing research methods and capability in other Eastern European countries...
- LONGITUDINAL AND RELATED PSYCHOHORMONAL STUDIESJohn Money; Fiscal Year: 1990..2A2 complements 2A.1 by demonstrating multiple determinants in the biography of becoming heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual. 2A...
- PULMONARY COMPLICATIONS OF BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTATIONAlexander White; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is anticipated that the five-year program will provide Dr. White the tools and biography he needs to effectively compete for extended research support and to become a leader in the field...
- INCOME MAINTENANCE DEPENDENCE & SERVICE SYSTEM USE: IISue Estroff; Fiscal Year: 1992..Relatives and significant others are also interviewed in order to assess their roles in the disability income process and their contributions to the patients' daily lives...
- NEUROIMAGING OF HIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTION IN SCHIZOPHRENIAStephan Heckers; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research conducted will advance our understanding of hippocampal function in the human brain and elucidate the neuropsychology and neurobiology of schizophrenia. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC CHARACTERIZATION OF SCA7Harry Orr; Fiscal Year: 2002..To gain insight into ataxin-7 function a series of experiments are proposed to characterize the cellular and subcellular expression of ataxin-7 and to identify proteins that interact with ataxin-7 using the yeast two-hybrid system. ..
- Brain and Behavior of Visual ExpectationsINGRID OLSON; Fiscal Year: 2009..These questions will be addressed through functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and behavioral experimentation. ..
- Placenta: Ethanol and HIVRichard Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..The experiments proposed will provide the first evidence on whether ethanol plays a role in direct transmission of the HIV virus to the fetus. ..
- Hippocampus in Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderStephan Heckers; Fiscal Year: 2008..hippoc.ampus inthe cognitive deficits and clinical symptoms seen in patients with SZ and BD. ..
- Genetic Loci Associated with L:M Cone Ratio VariationKaren Gunther; Fiscal Year: 2005..Sequence differences will be analyzed for correlation with cone ratio. Understanding how the retina is formed not only clarifies color vision, but also advances our understanding of retinal malformations and degeneration. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF THE SCA1 LOCUSHarry Orr; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the importance of these factors for SCA1 pathogenesis should provide insights for polyglutamine diseases in general. ..
- Health & Other Predictors of Expected & Actual MobilityCHARLES LONGINO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific expectations are articulated with respect to the relationships between and among key predictor variables and a modeling strategy to evaluate these expectations is delineated. ..
- REDUCED DRUG INTERACTIONS OF AZOLE ANTIFUNGAL DRUGSJoseph Gal; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Androgen Administration and Function in ManJOHN AMORY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Matsumoto M.D., Director, Clinical Research Unit VA-Puget Sound and Professor of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine will co-mentor this award. [unreadable] [unreadable]..