- Using literature as the framework for a new course
University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine, 92697, USA
Acad Med 77:1170. 2002
..We used it as a required text for a new Patient Doctor Society (PDS) course for 184 first- and second-year medical students. This report describes the scope and contexts in which the book was used to meet specific course goals...
- A voluntary medical humanities module in a medical college in Western Nepal: participant feedback
P Ravi Shankar
Department of Medical Education, Manipal College of Medical, Pokhara, Nepal
Teach Learn Med 21:248-53. 2009
A pioneering, voluntary Medical Humanities (MH) module was conducted at the Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal using small-group interactive sessions, literature and art excerpts, case scenarios, role-plays, and debates.
- [Mathematics, natural sciences and technology--parts of the encyclopedia Die Kultur der Gegenwart (The culture of today)]
Ber Wiss 31:29-43. 2008
..of one integrative culture--a tendency which contrasts with the increasing mainstream trend of separating the humanities from the natural sciences...
- A voluntary medical humanities module at the Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
P Ravi Shankar
Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
Fam Med 40:468-70. 2008
- Ethical dilemmas reported by fourth-year dental students
Helen M Sharp
Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008, USA
J Dent Educ 69:1116-22. 2005
..ethics must select a limited set of topics from the broad fields of professional ethics, bioethics, and the humanities. The purpose of this article is to describe the ethical issues reported by fourth-year dental students during ..
- Use of social media in graduate-level medical humanities education: two pilot studies from Penn State College of Medicine
Daniel R George
Department of Humanities, Penn State Hershey College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Med Teach 33:e429-34. 2011
..Social media strategies in education have gained attention for undergraduate students, but there has been relatively little application with graduate populations in medicine...
- Medical humanities: to cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always
Faculty of Arts, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 182:5-8. 2005
The medical humanities are concerned with "the science of the human", and bring the perspectives of disciplines such as history, philosophy, literature, art and music to understanding health, illness and medicine...
- Medical humanities and their discontents: definitions, critiques, and implications
Family Medicine, University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, Irvine, California, USA
Acad Med 84:192-8. 2009
The humanities offer great potential for enhancing professional and humanistic development in medical education...
- A medical humanities special study module on principles of medical theory and practice at the Charité, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Acad Med 78:1031-5. 2003
..Integrating the humanities into medical education helps students develop an awareness of the strengths and limitations of modern medicine, ..
- Medical student burnout: interdisciplinary exploration and analysis
M L Jennings
J Med Humanit 30:253-69. 2009
..Finally, this paper suggests possible preventive and remediative strategies such as optimizing the learning environment as well as narrative approaches that promise enhancement of both individual and institutional well-being...
- Humanities in undergraduate medical education: a literature review
University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Acad Med 85:988-98. 2010
b>Humanities form an integral part of undergraduate medical curricula at numerous medical schools all over the world, and medical journals publish a considerable quantity of articles in this field...
- Defining the medical humanities: three conceptions and three narratives
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
J Med Humanit 32:1-7. 2011
The definition of 'medical humanities' may be approached via three conceptions-the humanities as a list of disciplines, as a program of moral development, and as a supportive friend...
- Can poetry make better doctors? Teaching the humanities and arts to medical students and residents at the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine
Department of Family Medicine, Program in Medical Humanities and Arts, Orange, CA 92868 3298, USA
Acad Med 78:953-7. 2003
The Program in Medical Humanities & Arts at the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine has been in existence for five years...
- The humanities interface of nursing and medicine
Humanities and Women s Studies, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center and The Pennsylvania State University, USA
J Prof Nurs 23:174-9. 2007
In the 1970s, the field of medical humanities developed and included ethics, literature, history, integrative medicine, and other topics, most often described from a physician's perspective...
- Symptoms of anxiety and depression in medical students and in humanities students: relationship with big-five personality dimensions and vulnerability to stress
Institute of the Psychophysiology and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Kaunas University of Medicine, Lithuania
Int J Soc Psychiatry 54:494-501. 2008
To evaluate the prevalence of anxiety and depression in medical students and in humanities students...
- Medical humanities' challenge to medicine
Centre for Medical Humanities, Durham University, Trevelyan College, Durham, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 17:927-32. 2011
..The field of medical humanities originally emerged as a challenge to this overly narrow view, but it has rarely progressed beyond tinkering ..
- The medical humanities today: humane health care or tool of governance?
School of Political and Social Inquiry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Med Humanit 29:1-4. 2008
The medical humanities have been presented as a panacea for medical reductionism; a means for 'humanizing' medicine...
- Medical humanities in Nepal--snakes and ladders
P Ravi Shankar
Department of Medical Education, KIST Medical College Imadol, Lalitpur, Nepal
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 20:219-20. 2010
..Medical Humanities (MH) uses disciplines traditionally termed as the humanities in the pursuit of medical educational goals...
- Reading habits and attitude toward medical humanities of basic science students in a medical college in Western Nepal
P Ravi Shankar
Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
Teach Learn Med 20:308-13. 2008
..The Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal, admits students from Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, and other countries to the undergraduate medical course...
- Preserving the humanities in medical education
Edward C Halperin
University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202 3866, USA
Med Teach 32:76-9. 2010
..in biomedical knowledge and the growing demands upon medical students' time threaten to crowd out time for the humanities. Furthermore, the financing of medical humanities programmes is often tenuous...
- Using the humanities to strengthen the concept of professionalism among first-professional year pharmacy students
Gary W Bumgarner
McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Samford University, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 71:28. 2007
..To engage pharmacy students at the McWhorter School of Pharmacy in an authentic discussion of professionalism early in their education...
- Student feedback on the use of paintings in Sparshanam, the Medical Humanities module at KIST Medical College, Nepal
P Ravi Shankar
Department of Medical Education, KIST Medical College, Lalitpur, Nepal
BMC Med Educ 11:9. 2011
Paintings have been used in Medical Humanities modules in Nepal at Manipal College of Medical Sciences and KIST Medical College...
- Ways of seeing: using the visual arts in nursing education
Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, IL 60612 3832, USA
J Nurs Educ 49:672-6. 2010
Professional nursing defines its foundation of practice as embedded in the sciences and humanities of a liberal education. This liberal education is commonly alluded to with the phrase "the art and science of nursing...
- The Program in Medical Humanities at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
Sirridge Office of Medical Humanities, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Acad Med 78:973-6. 2003
..The program has a defined goal of offering humanities courses throughout the curriculum...
- The medical humanities: toward a renewed praxis
Northeastern Ohio Universities, College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH, USA
J Med Humanit 30:209-20. 2009
In this essay, I explore medical humanities practice in the United States with descriptions offered by fifteen faculty members who participated in an electronic survey...
- The globalization of education in medical ethics and humanities: evolving pedagogy at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
Pablo Rodriguez Del Pozo
Division of Medical Ethics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, F 173, New York, NY 10021, USA
Acad Med 80:135-40. 2005
The authors discuss their experience in implementing a Medical Ethics and Humanities course for premedical students at Weill Cornell Medical College in the Arabian Gulf emirate of Qatar...
- Reflections on the humanities in medical education
School of Health Science, University of Wales Swansea, UK
Med Educ 36:508-13. 2002
..Such neglect arguably underlies the perceived deficiencies in medical education that the GMC sought to redress in its landmark document Tomorrow's Doctors...
- The arts and humanities in health and medicine
Kenneth C Calman
Durham University, Old Shire Hall, Durham, DH1 3HP, UK
Public Health 119:958-9. 2005
- Medical humanities as expressive of Western culture
Medical Humanities Program, Centre for Values, Ethics and Law in Medicine, University of Sydney, 92 94 Paramatta Road, Sydney, Australia
Med Humanit 37:79-84. 2011
In this paper we articulate a growing awareness within the field of the ways in which medical humanities could be deemed expressive of Western cultural values...
- The Centre for Medical Humanities, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, England
Centre for Medical Humanities, Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, England
Acad Med 78:1048-53. 2003
The Centre for Medical Humanities is based within the Royal Free and University College Medical School...
- Medicine, cinema and culture: a workshop in medical humanities for clinical years
Behavioural Sciences Department, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Med Educ 37:1039-40. 2003
- A Web-based multimedia medical humanities curriculum
Department of Family Medicine, Georgetown University, 217 Kober Cogan Hall, 3800 Reservoir Road, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Fam Med 37:165-7. 2005
- Making sense of clinical reasoning: judgement and the evidence of the senses
Cornwall Postgraduate Education Centre, Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Truro, Cornwall, UK
Med Educ 37:544-52. 2003
..and introduces a vital aesthetic dimension to clinical work that aligns with the interests of the medical humanities. An aesthetic approach to clinical reasoning, however, remains largely unexplored as an explicit focus for ..
- Just a spoonful of humanities makes the medicine go down: introducing literature into a family medicine clerkship
Department of Family Medicine, University of California Irvine College of Medicine, Orange, 92868, USA
Med Educ 39:605-12. 2005
..Although humanities are represented in the curricula of many medical schools, we need more information on how best to incorporate ..
- A community-based approach to the medical humanities
English Department, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon 97207, USA
Med Educ 38:204-17. 2004
..Such an innovative approach emerges from the recognition that professional training in both health care and humanities programmes often does not model the kinds of collaborative relationships and professional values desired by ..
- A dose of humanities. At the University of Minnesota and elsewhere, poetry and prose are enhancing the medical school curriculum
Minn Med 87:18-20, 45. 2004
- Full integration of teaching 'Medical Humanities' in the medical curriculum: the challenge of the florence medical school
G F Gensini
Med Princ Pract 14:64-5. 2005
- Ethics, professionalism, and humanities at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Center for Ethics and Humanities in the Life Sciences, MI 48824, USA
Acad Med 78:968-72. 2003
..used at Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine for teaching ethics, professionalism, and humanities to undergraduate medical students: courses in ethics and health policy; mentoring programs; selectives in ..
- "Publish or Perish" as citation metrics used to analyze scientific output in the humanities: International case studies in economics, geography, social sciences, philosophy, and history
Institut Francilien Recherche, Innovation et Société IFRIS, Université Paris Est Marne la Vallée, Paris, France
Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 56:363-71. 2008
..This database used for the evaluation of researchers is not advantageous in the humanities, mainly because books, conference papers, and non-English journals, which are an important part of scientific ..
- The precarious position of the medical humanities in the medical school curriculum
Lester D Friedman
Program in Communication and Medicine, Northwestern University, 750 North Lake Shore Drive ABA 627, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Acad Med 77:320-2. 2002
..in most medical schools across the country, should neither be considered as part of nor substituted for the humanities within the curriculum...
- Development of a Medical Humanities Program at Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine, Nova Scotia, Canada, 1992-2003
Medical Humanities, Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Acad Med 78:1020-3. 2003
The Medical Humanities Program at Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine in Nova Scotia, Canada, was initiated in 1992 to incorporate the medical humanities into the learning and experiences of medical students...
- Medical humanities and cultural studies: lessons learned from an NEH Institute
Susan M Squier
Brill Professor of Women s Studies and English, Penn State University, USA
J Med Humanit 25:243-53. 2004
..of an NEH Institute on "Medicine, Literature, and Culture" consider the lessons they learned by bringing humanities scholars to a teaching hospital for a month-long institute that mingled seminar discussions, outside speakers ..
- Responding to the implications of the genetics revolution for the education and training of doctors: a medical humanities approach
Centre for Medical Humanities, Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, University College London, UK
Med Educ 37:168-73. 2003
..Whilst there is undoubtedly a pressing need to educate doctors about genetic disorders, research and therapies, there is a parallel need to provide a context for all of these...
- Bioethics, medical humanities, and the future of the "field": Reflections on the results of the ASBH survey of North American graduate bioethics/medical humanities training programs
Mark P Aulisio
Case Western Reserve University, USA
Am J Bioeth 2:3-9. 2002
- Humanities Education at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine
Medical Humanities and Bioethics Program, Northwestern University, Chicago IL 60611, USA
Acad Med 78:958-62. 2003
The Medical Humanities and Bioethics Program at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine is responsible for humanities education in all four years of medical school: five units of the required four-year Patient, Physician, ..
- Striving to do good things: teaching humanities in Canadian medical schools
M G Kidd
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland and Labrador A1B 3V6, Canada
J Med Humanit 29:45-54. 2008
We provide the results of a systematic key-informant review of medical humanities curricula at fourteen of Canada's seventeen medical schools. This survey was the first of its kind...
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, Medical Humanities courses
Valerie J Grant
University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, Auckland, New Zealand
Acad Med 78:1072-3. 2003
- National Taiwan University College of Medicine, the design of medical humanities courses for clerkships
Wei Dean Wang
Department of Social Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Acad Med 78:1073-4. 2003
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Medical Humanities Program
Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612 7309, USA
Acad Med 78:1062-3. 2003
- Instilling the value of reading literature through student-led book discussion groups
Sue S Butell
Linfield College School of Nursing, 2255 NW Northrup, Loveridge Hall, Room 34 E F, Portland, OR 97210, USA
J Nurs Educ 43:40-4. 2004
..Student and faculty responses were positive and clearly demonstrated the benefits of this assignment for students' personal development and professional growth...
- The approach of medical students towards studies of the humanities and social sciences
Department of Philosophy and Social Sciences, Kaunas University of Medicine, A Mickeviciaus 9, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 43:580-6. 2007
To analyze the attitudes of the medical students from Kaunas University of Medicine, Krakow Jagiellonian University, and St. Petersburg State University towards the studies of the humanities and social sciences.
- Where art meets science
Minn Med 90:10-1. 2007
- Literature-based education in medical school. Duluth Medical School faculty and a student reflect on a lesson in which literature led the student to better understand the physician-patient relationship
Department of Family Medicine, University of Minnesota School of Medicine Duluth, USA
Minn Med 87:48-50. 2004
- Polemic: five proposals for a medical school admission policy
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
J Med Ethics 32:491-4. 2006
..and the world better, to make a more informed and motivated choice of career, and to get more out of the humanities components of the curriculum...
- The first medical humanities programme in Turkey
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Med Educ 40:278-82. 2006
THE MEDICAL HUMANITIES: The arts and humanities have been considered a recreational activity related to the interests and talents of the doctor, rather than to their practice of medicine.
- Medical humanities at the University of Wales Swansea
Centre for Philosophy and Health Care, School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, UK
Med Humanit 27:51-2. 2001
The UK's first taught master's degree in medical humanities involves a field of inquiry that is frequently philosophical, pursuing interests and questions traditionally arising in medical philosophy and ethics, but on a larger ..
- Psychiatry and the humanities
Tom G Bolwig
Acta Psychiatr Scand 114:381-3. 2006
- Medical humanities: to cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always
Med J Aust 182:430, 432; author reply 432. 2005
- Engaged humanities: moral work in the precincts of medicine
Ronald A Carson
The Institute for Medical Humanities, University of Texas Medical Brach at Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Perspect Biol Med 50:321-33. 2007
The medical humanities emerged in the late 1960s in response to shared concerns among a group of hospital chaplains, academic clinicians, and moral theologians and philosophers about the growing power of a technological imperative and a ..
- Ending in wonder: replacing technology with revelation in Margaret Edson's W;t
Division of Medical Ethics and Humanities, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Perspect Biol Med 50:395-409. 2007
..American education, this article considers Edson's play in relation to theory, teaching, learning, and art, in order to resituate the humanities--with their emphasis on imagination, transformation, and wonder--within the medical arena.
- All the voices in the room: integrating humanities in nursing education
Robyn L Smith
School of Nursing, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, USA
Nurs Educ Perspect 25:278-83. 2004
Participatory action research was used to link the humanities with a deeper level of teaching and learning...
- Medicine and literature: writing and reading
Medicine and the Arts, Department of English, King s College, London, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 11:171-9. 2005
The humanities and arts are appropriate areas of study within interdisciplinary medicine. Medicine has long been considered to be both a science and an art...
- The soul of medicine
Mark G Kuczewski
Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 630153, USA
Perspect Biol Med 50:410-20. 2007
This article considers contributions that the medical humanities have made to biomedical ethics. Philosophy has contributed methods of ethical justification to case analysis and has given birth to the New Professionalism movement...
- Restoring humanism
Paul H Rockey
Minn Med 87:7. 2004
- Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty of Medicine, the Medical Humanities in the clinical skills course
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL A1B
Acad Med 78:1068-9. 2003
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, Program of Humanities in Medicine
Marcia Day Childress
Acad Med 78:1068. 2003
- Total internal reflection: an essay on paradigms
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Bath, UK
Med Educ 36:514-8. 2002
This paper presents a personal view of the relationship between science and the humanities within medical education, arguing for a more even balance between the two...
- Developing a medical humanities concentration in the medical curriculum at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Jeffrey Philip Spike
Florida State University College of Medicine, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, USA
Acad Med 78:983-6. 2003
..and Dentistry is the only medical school in the United States that offers a concentration or minor in medical humanities for medical students...
- The Medical Humanities Program at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Medical Humanities Program, University of Manitoba, Manitoba, Canada
Acad Med 78:1015-9. 2003
The current Medical Humanities Program at the University of Manitoba has evolved from a series of voluntary sessions into an integral element of the curriculum since its inception as the Human Values Program in 1986...
- On Becoming a Humanities Curriculum: the Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Acad Med 78:1010-4. 2003
The authors describe the development and implementation of a new longitudinal and integrated humanities curriculum in the School of Medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio...
- The Art of Medicine through the Humanities: an overview of a one-month humanities elective for fourth year students
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Med Educ 37:560-2. 2003
The purpose of incorporating humanities teaching into medical education is to encourage students to develop into more sensitive and caring doctors who communicate well with their patients and colleagues.
- Medical Humanities at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Anne Hudson Jones
Institute for the Medical Humanities, The University of Texas Medical Branch, University Boulvard, Galveston, TX 77555 1311, USA
Acad Med 78:1006-9. 2003
The Institute for the Medical Humanities of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB) was established in June 1973 to ensure that humanities teaching and research became an integral part of the education of future ..
- Humanities education at Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania
Anne Hunsaker Hawkins
Department of Humanities, University Drive, PA 17033, USA
Acad Med 78:1001-5. 2003
The Department of Humanities at Pennsylvania State University's (Penn State) College of Medicine, created at the founding of the College in 1967, was the first of its kind at any medical school...
- HIV/AIDS in the visual arts: applying discipline-based art education (DBAE) to medical humanities
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Educ 37:563-70. 2003
Health professions educators have been systematically attempting to insert the humanities into health professions curricula for over 4 decades, with various degrees of success...
- The Medical Humanities at the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine: historical, theoretical, and curricular perspectives
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Human Values in Medicine Program, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, Ohio 44272, USA
Acad Med 78:997-1000. 2003
..HVM) at the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine is composed of 120 required hours in medical humanities, social sciences, and behavioral sciences...
- The Biomedical Humanities program: merging humanities and science in a premedical curriculum at Hiram College
Biomedical Humanities, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio 44234, USA
Acad Med 78:993-6. 2003
The Biomedical Humanities program at Hiram College, established in 1999, engages premedical and other qualified students in ethical and informed decision making, improves their ability to interact with persons of different backgrounds and ..
- Humanities and medicine (a slightly dissident view)
William W. Backus Hospital, Norwich, Connecticut
Yale J Biol Med 65:183-7. 1992
Programs for humanities and medicine are growing in a number of medical schools in the U.S.A...
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Department of Medical Humanities
Theodore R Leblang
Department of Medical Humanities, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL 62794 9603, USA
Acad Med 78:1062. 2003
- Medicine and the arts in the undergraduate medical curriculum at the University of Oslo Faculty of Medicine, Oslo, Norway
Jan C Frich
Department of Neurology, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Acad Med 78:1036-8. 2003
- [Ethical aspects in medical education and updating of medicine]
Dipartimento per l innovazione educativa e didattica, Campus Bio Medico, Roma, Italia
Clin Ter 153:385-8. 2002
- Medical humanities: a new undergraduate teaching program at the University of Geneva School of Medicine, Switzerland
Medical Humanities Program, Bioethics Research and Teaching Unit, University of Geneva School of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Acad Med 78:1043-7. 2003
In 2001, a new program of medical humanities was initiated at the University of Geneva School of Medicine in Switzerland. Four mandatory seminars and one optional 2-week internship are offered to second-through fifth-year medical students...
- University of Arkansas College of Medicine, division of medical humanities
UAMS Division of Medical Humanities, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Acad Med 78:1059. 2003
- [What do medical students read?]
Giorgina Barbara Piccoli
Recenti Prog Med 94:41. 2003
- The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Department of Medical Humanities
Loretta M Kopelman
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Department of Medical Humanities, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Acad Med 78:1066-7. 2003
- University of Michigan Medical School, Program in Society and Medicine
Joel D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0604, USA
Acad Med 78:1063-4. 2003
- [Systems of biomedical information on the internet: bibliographic contents and electronic magazines]
Rev Neurol 29:471-8. 1999
..a classic in this field, much appreciated by scientists in all areas: medicine, social, technology, arts and humanities. At present, it is available in an on line version known as CCC (Current Contents Connect), accessible through ..
- Annotation an effective device for student feedback: a critical review of the literature
Elaine C Ball
University of Salford, Manchester M6 6PU, UK
Nurse Educ Pract 10:138-43. 2010
..Donahue, P., 2008. Minding the gap annotation as preparation for discussion. Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, 7(3), 295-307; Ball, E., 2009...
- European MEDIA Programme: the role of 'language' and 'visual images' in the processes of constructing European culture and identity
School of Philosophy, Anthropology and Social Inquiry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Coll Antropol 32:1013-22. 2008
..We consider contemporary debates in social sciences and humanities over the concepts of language", "culture" and "identity" as inseparable from each other (Ahmed 2000; Brah 1996, ..
- Mentoring for a new era
Division of Primary Care, Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
Acad Med 77:1171-2. 2002
..The overall goal of our student-mentoring program is to advance the professional development of our students during the first two years of medical school through regular group meetings with skilled, trained faculty facilitators...
- Brain 'imaging' in the Renaissance
Department of Neurosurgery, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, UK
J R Soc Med 100:540-3. 2007
During the Renaissance, a period of 'rebirth' for humanities and science, new knowledge and speculation began to emerge about the function of the human body, replacing ancient religious and philosophical dogma...
- Occupational therapy for patients with problems in personal activities of daily living after stroke: systematic review of randomised trials
Academic Section of Geriatric Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary University NHS Trust, Glasgow G31 2ER
BMJ 335:922. 2007
..To determine whether occupational therapy focused specifically on personal activities of daily living improves recovery for patients after stroke...
- The importance of the concepts of disaster, catastrophe, violence, trauma and barbarism in defining posttraumatic stress disorder in clinical practice
Luciana L Braga
Graduate Program in Psychiatry Department of Psychiatry, Escola Paulista de Medicina Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 8:68. 2008
..Furthermore, the absence of clear concepts may be an obstacle to clinical treatment because the use of these words by the patients does not necessarily point to a diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder...
- [Tone psychology and music research as catalysts of experimental-scientific practice and methodology in the circle of Carl Stumpf]
Institut für Musikwissenschaft, Universitat Leipzig, Leipzig
Ber Wiss 31:195-210. 2008
..of reasoning, analytical procedures and academic convictions from natural history, the natural sciences and the humanities but at the same time identifies shortcomings of these approaches that fail to grasp the complexities of psychic ..
- Genomics and identity: the bioinformatisation of human life
Faculty of Science, Department of Philosophy and Science Studies, Centre for Society and Genomics, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Med Health Care Philos 12:125-36. 2009
..article explores how genomics and bioinformation, by influencing research agendas in the human sciences and the humanities, are affecting our self-image, our identity, the way we see ourselves...
- [Theory of cognition and natural philosophy in neurology. The principle of localization in the debate between Viktor von Weizsäcker, Kurt Goldstein, and Otfrid Foerster in 1930]
Nervenarzt 80:970-4. 2009
..then obvious and still can be found in present discussion about the relationship between neurosciences and humanities. Weizsäcker increased his focus on medical anthropology by taking a full professorship of general clinical ..
- Pharmaceutical interventions for emotionalism after stroke
Maree L Hackett
Department of Neurological and Mental Health, The George Institute for International Health, PO Box M201, Missenden Road, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2050
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD003690. 2010
..1966 to May 2008), EMBASE (1980 to May 2008), CINAHL (1982 to May 2008), PsycINFO (1967 to May 2008), Arts and Humanities Index (1991 to May 2008), BIOSIS Previews (2002 to May 2008), Science Citation Index (1992 to May 2008), Social ..
- The ethics of measuring and modulating consciousness: the imperative of minding time
Joseph J Fins
Division of Medical Ethics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Prog Brain Res 177:371-82. 2009
Using time as an over-arching metaphor, and drawing upon resources in the sciences, humanities, and the history of medicine, the author addresses the neuroethics of measuring and modulating consciousness...
- In defense of bioethics
Union Graduate College Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Bioethics Program, USA
J Law Med Ethics 37:83-92. 2009
..The specific charges leveled against the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH) and its Core Competencies report are analyzed and rejected as artifacts of an ahistoric conception of the ..
- Neurobiology of wisdom: a literature overview
Thomas W Meeks
Department of Psychiatry and Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging, University of California, San Diego, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:355-65. 2009
Wisdom is a unique psychological trait noted since antiquity, long discussed in humanities disciplines, recently operationalized by psychology and sociology researchers, but largely unexamined in psychiatry or biology.
- Randomised controlled trials for policy interventions: a review of reviews and meta-regression
Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:1-165, iii. 2010