Summary: The inhabitants of peripheral or adjacent areas of a city or town.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- A longitudinal approach to assessing urban and suburban children's exposure to pyrethroid pesticidesChensheng Lu
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:1419-23. 2006..Because of the wide use of pyrethroids in the United States, the findings of this study are important for both children's pesticide exposure assessment and environmental public health...
- Prevalence of diabetes among suburban population of Ternate--a small remote island in the eastern part of IndonesiaSidartawan Soegondo
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital Jl Diponegoro no 71, Jakarta, Indonesia
Acta Med Indones 43:99-104. 2011..to study the prevalence of diabetes in a sub-urban population of one of the less developed provinces in eastern part of Indonesia and its associated risk factors...
- Prevalence, detection, management, and control of hypertension in Ashanti, West AfricaFrancesco P Cappuccio
Department of Community Health Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, UK
Hypertension 43:1017-22. 2004..Detection rates are suboptimal in both men and women, especially in rural areas. Adequate treatment of high BP is at a very low level. There is an urgent need for preventive strategies on hypertension control in Ghana...
- Whom can I rely on? Mothers' approaches to support for feeding: an interview study in suburban Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaAmal Omer-Salim
International Maternal and Child Health, Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University Hospital, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Midwifery 23:172-83. 2007..to explore and describe mothers' perceptions of baby feeding and approaches to support for baby feeding...
- Care by general practitioners and district nurses of patients receiving home nursing: a study from suburban StockholmSonja Modin
Family Medicine Stockholm, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 20:208-12. 2002..To review the care by general practitioners (GPs), district nurses and assistant nurses of patients receiving home nursing...
- Blood pressure patterns in rural, semi-urban and urban children in the Ashanti region of Ghana, West AfricaCharles Agyemang
Institute of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 5:114. 2005....
- Rural and semi-urban differences in salt intake, and its dietary sources, in Ashanti, West AfricaSally M Kerry
Department of Community Health Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, Cranmer Terrace, London
Ethn Dis 15:33-9. 2005..To provide a socioeconomic profile of rural and semi-urban settings in Ashanti, West Africa and to investigate the relationship between urbanization and sources of salt in the diet...
- Two short questionnaires on leisure-time physical activity compared with serum lipids, anthropometric measurements and aerobic power in a suburban population from Oslo, NorwaySidsel Graff-Iversen
Division of Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404, Nydalen, 0403, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Epidemiol 23:167-74. 2008..The aim was to indirectly validate two short postal questionnaires measuring leisure-time physical activity (LPA) by comparing the answers with serum lipids and anthropometric measurements...
- Biological monitoring of exposure to organophosphate pesticides in children living in peri-urban areas of the Province of Quebec, CanadaMathieu Valcke
Direction des Risques Biologiques, Environnementaux et Occupationnels, Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, 4835, Christophe Colomb, Bureau 200, H2J 3G8, Montreal, QC, Canada
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 79:568-77. 2006..This study was undertaken to assess the exposure to organophosphate (OP) pesticides in children from peri-urban areas of the Province of Quebec, Canada, through measurements of semi-specific alkylphosphate (AP) metabolites...
- Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors clustering among suburban residents in Beijing, ChinaLei Zhang
Department of Social Medicine and Health Education, School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijng 100191, China
Int J Cardiol 151:46-9. 2011..The prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors (CRFs) has been increasing in urbanization areas of China. The article aims to estimate the up-to-date prevalence and clustering of major modifiable CRFs among suburban residents in Beijing...
- HPV infection among women in a representative rural and suburban population of the USASin Hang Lee
Department of Pathology, Milford Hospital, Milford, Connecticut 06460, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 105:210-4. 2009....
- Rural and suburban population surge following detonation of an improvised nuclear device: a new model to estimate impactMichael Meit
National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 5:S143-50. 2011....
- Control of aedes vectors of dengue in three provinces of Vietnam by use of Mesocyclops (Copepoda) and community-based methods validated by entomologic, clinical, and serological surveillanceBrian H Kay
Queensland Institute of Medical Research and University of Queensland Tropical Health Program, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:40-8. 2002..Variable dengue attack rates made the clinical and serological comparison of control and untreated communes problematic, but these data indicate that clinical surveillance by itself is inadequate to monitor dengue transmission...
- Prevalence of otitis media with effusion among primary school children in Kahramanmaras, in TurkeyErdogan Okur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Hastane Cad No 32, 46050 Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:557-62. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of otitis media with effusion (EOM) in primary school children...
- The role of social norms and friends' influences on unhealthy weight-control behaviors among adolescent girlsMarla E Eisenberg
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 1300 Second Street SE, Ste 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Soc Sci Med 60:1165-73. 2005..Implications for school-based interventions to reduce UWCBs are discussed...
- Hyperuricaemia is an independent factor for the metabolic syndrome in a sub-Saharan African population: a factor analysisManja Reimann
School for Physiology, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, North West University Potchefstroom Campus, Private Bag X6001, Potchefstroom 2520, South Africa
Atherosclerosis 197:638-45. 2008..To assess the risk factor pattern of the metabolic syndrome and its association with insulin resistance and hyperuricaemia in a sub-Saharan African population with different levels of urbanisation...
- Rural versus nonrural differences in BMC, volumetric BMD, and bone size: a population-based cross-sectional studyBonny Specker
Ethel Austin Martin Program in Human Nutrition, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57007, USA
Bone 35:1389-98. 2004..Lifestyle differences did not explain population differences in BMC, aBMD, vBMD, or bone size...
- Probable areas of infection and ambience of occurrence of human leptospirosis in Brazil (2001-2003)Maria de Lourdes Simões Arsky
National Health Surveillance Secretary, Brazilian Ministry of Health
Rev Cubana Med Trop 57:59-60. 2005..The disease had more connection to the urban and suburban areas, suggesting that the occurrence of the disease is related to the life conditions and housing sanitation...
- The rural physician workforce in Florida: a survey of US- and foreign-born primary care physiciansRobert G Brooks
Florida State University College of Medicine, Tallahassee, FL, 32306 4300, USA
J Rural Health 19:484-91. 2003..To meet the challenge of primary care needs in rural areas, continuing assessment of the demographics, training, and future work plans of practicing primary care physicians is needed...
- [A comparison of stress levels of elementary students by geographical regions]Chung Yul Lee
College of Nursing, Nursing Policy Research Institute, Yonsei University, Korea
Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi 37:986-93. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare stress levels of elementary students according to three regional levels: a large city, a medium-sized city, and a rural area...
- Predictive value of a cross-cultural asthma case-detection tool in an elementary school populationStanley P Galant
Children s Hospital of Orange County, Orange, California, USA
Pediatrics 114:e307-16. 2004....
- Knowledge and perceptions of diabetes in a semi-urban Omani populationMohammed A Al Shafaee
Department of Family Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
BMC Public Health 8:249. 2008..This study aimed to evaluate the knowledge and perception of diabetes in a sample of the Omani general population, and the associations between the elements of knowledge and perception, and socio-demographic factors...
- Prevalence of anti-Neospora caninum antibodies in dogs from urban, periurban and rural areas of the city of Uberlândia, Minas Gerais--BrazilB C T M Fernandes
Parasitology Laboratory, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Federal University of Uberlandia, Av Para 1720, Bloco 4C, CEP 38400 902, Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 123:33-40. 2004..1% rural). Among the other age brackets studied the difference was not significant. The results confirm the presence of N. caninum in the region and reveal the important role of dogs in the parasite's epidemiology...
- Aspects of the geographical variations of naturally occurring 210Pb/210Po in permanent teeth of juveniles in the UKP R James
H H Wills Physics Laboratory, University of Bristol, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol BS8 1TL, UK
Int J Radiat Biol 80:199-208. 2004..To study geographical variations in the level of naturally occurring 210Pb-supported 210Po in permanent teeth of juveniles in the UK...
- The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: the self-report version in American urban and suburban youthVladislav Ruchkin
Yale Child Study Center, New Haven, CT 06520 7900, USA
Psychol Assess 20:175-82. 2008..Future research is needed for further scale development...
- [The relation between body mass index and percentage body fat among Chinese adolescent living in urban Beijing]Qian Zhang
The Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25:113-6. 2004..To study the relation between body mass index (BMI) and percentage body fat (PBF) in Chinese adolescent, and to compare the prevalence of overweight and obesity using BMI or PBF standards...
- Is late bottle-weaning associated with overweight in young children? Analysis of NHANES III dataKaren Bonuck
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 111 East 210th Street, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 43:535-40. 2004..0099-0.0535). Prolonged bottle use in young children is associated with increased risk of overweight. From a preventive medicine standpoint, decreasing exposure to this potential risk for childhood overweight is indicated...
- Pilot study of using GIS to visualize health status distribution: case study of Songjiang District, ShanghaiHua Fu
School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, PR China
J Med Dent Sci 51:179-85. 2004..The measures that consider intra-region inequality in health needs will be required in the regions under urbanization...
- Carbon monoxide-related deaths in a metropolitan county in the USA: an 11-year studyCynthia D Homer
John Carroll University, 20700 North Park Boulevard, University Heights, OH 44118, USA
Forensic Sci Int 149:159-65. 2005..2/100,000 in 1997 followed by a decrease to 0.8/100,000 in 1998. This suggested that the program may have aided in decreasing these types of deaths. Deaths due to fires in the suburbs were <1/100,000 throughout the study period...
- A national survey of tobacco cessation programs for youthsSusan J Curry
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 97:171-7. 2007..We collected data on a national sample of existing community-based tobacco cessation programs for youths to understand their prevalence and overall characteristics...
- Men's knowledge of and attitude with respect to family planning in a suburban Nigerian communityO O Odu
Department of Community Medicine, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 15:260-5. 2006..A cross-sectional survey was conducted to determine men's knowledge of and attitude to family planning at Ganmo, a sub-urban community on the outskirts of Ilorin, Nigeria...
- The geography of despair among 15-44-year-old men in England and Wales: putting suicide on the mapNicos Middleton
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:1040-7. 2006..To investigate the spatial patterning and possible contributors to the geographical distribution of suicide among 15-44- year-old men...
- Dental lead levels in children from two different urban and suburban areas of TurkeyB Karahalil
Toxicology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, 06330 Hipodrom, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Hyg Environ Health 210:107-12. 2007..05, Table 2). No difference was observed between boys and girls and the accumulation of lead in teeth (p<0.05, )...
- Antitobacco media awareness of rural youth compared to suburban and urban youth in IndianaTerrell W Zollinger
Department of Family Medicine and Bowen Research Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Long Hospital 200, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5102, USA
J Rural Health 22:119-23. 2006..This study examined the awareness and impact of antitobacco media messages among rural, suburban, and urban youth...
- Parents' perceptions of neighborhood safety and children's physical activityLori A Weir
Department of Family Medicine, New York Medical College, Munger Pavilion, Room 306, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Prev Med 43:212-7. 2006..This study investigates the degree to which parents in a poor inner city vs. a middle-class suburban community limit their children's outdoor activity because of neighborhood safety concerns...
- Defining urban and rural areas in U.S. epidemiologic studiesSusan A Hall
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27709 3398, USA
J Urban Health 83:162-75. 2006..Further study of the utility of these measures in health studies is warranted...
- "Should I give you my smoking lecture now or later?" Characterizing emergency physician smoking discussions and cessation counselingNatalie I Vokes
Williams College, Williamstown, MA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 48:406-14, 414.e1-7. 2006..We determine frequency and manner in which emergency physicians address smoking with their patients...
- Obesity and personality types of high school boys in KuwaitHanan El Sayed Badr
Family Health Department, High Institute of Public Health
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 79:449-60. 2004..The aim of this study is to estimate the prevalence of obesity among first grade high school male students in Kuwait sand to investigate the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and personality types...
- Epidemiological features of severe acute respiratory syndrome in Beijing urban and suburb areas in 2003Min Liu
School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijing, China
Biomed Environ Sci 18:227-32. 2005..To describe the epidemiologic features of an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in urban and suburb areas in Beijing and to explore their differences between these two areas...
- Choice of residential location: chance, family influences, or genes?John B Whitfield
Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Twin Res Hum Genet 8:22-6. 2005..Comparisons between countries with different demography are needed to confirm and further characterize these effects...
- West Nile Virus: the buzz on Ottawa residents' awareness, attitudes and practicesSamantha D Wilson
Canadian Field Epidemiology Program, Public Health Agency of Canada
Can J Public Health 96:109-13. 2005..Their objectives were to assess: awareness of WNV, practices to reduce mosquito sources, personal protective measures, and attitudes towards community-based insecticide programs...
- [Distribution of sources of Toxocara spp. infection in urban and rural environments in Poland]H Mizgajska
, Akademia Wychowania fizycznego im. Eugeniusza Piaseckiego w Poznaniu, ,
Wiad Parazytol 47:399-404. 2001..5% (0.46 eggs/100g), on playgrounds and playing fields 9,4% (0,06 eggs/100g) and on the beaches--3.4% (0.03 eggs/100g). In children habitual play areas the prevalence of T. cati eggs was higher than T. canis eggs...
- Genetics and environmental risk factors associated with asthma in schoolchildrenAbdulbari Bener
Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, Hamad Medical Corporation and Hamad General Hospital, PO Box 3050, Doha, State of Qatar
Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 37:163-8. 2005..The objective of this study was to investigate the genetic and environmental risk factors associated with asthma among Qatari school children aged 6-12 years...
- Prevalence of colonisation with group B Streptococci in pregnant women of a multi-ethnic population in The NetherlandsArijaan W Valkenburg-van den Berg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medisch Centrum Haaglanden MCH, Westeinde Hospital, PO Box 432, 2501 CK The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 124:178-83. 2006..We calculated predictive values of cultures in pregnancy for intrapartum GBS carriage...
- Prevalence of asthma-like symptoms by ISAAC video questionnaire in Mozambican schoolchildrenS Mavale-Manuel
Maputo Central Hospital Department of Paediatrics, Mozambique
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 65:189-95. 2006..The International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) video questionnaire was developed to overcome the language and cultural differences in the assessment of asthma-like symptoms...
- Socio-demographic factors of pupils who use tobacco in randomly-selected primary schools in Nairobi province, KenyaA E O Ogwell
Oral and Craniofacial Research Associates, PO Box 67427, 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 80:235-41. 2003..To report the prevalence and socio-economic correlates of tobacco use among primary school pupils in Nairobi, Kenya...
- Effect of using different modes to administer the AUDIT-C on identification of hazardous drinking and acquiescence to trial participation among injured patientsAllan Graham
Kaiser Permanente Health Plan of Colorado, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 42:423-9. 2007..We compared the effect of three different modes of questionnaire administration on screening for hazardous drinking and acquiescence to trial participation...
- Suicide in the capital of Serbia and Montenegro in the period 1997-2004 - sex differencesGordana Nikolić-Balkoski
Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Psychiatr Danub 18:48-54. 2006..7, males 19.7, and the lowest in 2004- females 4.5 males 9.1). Male to female suicide rate ratio was 2 to 1. Sex differences were registered in all of the observed nine variables...
- The use of complementary/alternative medicine therapies for the self-treatment of pain among residents of urban, suburban, and rural communitiesApril Hazard Vallerand
Wayne State University College of Nursing, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Am J Public Health 93:923-5. 2003
- Trends in overweight and obesity in Portuguese conscripts from 1986 to 2000 in relation to place of residence and educational levelCristina Padez
Departamento de Antropologia, Departamento de Antropologia, Rua do Arco da Traição, Universidade de Coimbra, 3000 056 Coimbra, Portugal
Public Health 120:946-52. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyse changes in the prevalence of overweight and obesity between 1986 and 2000 in Portuguese conscripts, and to examine the role of place of residence and educational level...
- "They're too smart for that": predicting what children would do in the presence of gunsSusan M Connor
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Pediatric Trauma Center, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 6039, USA
Pediatrics 111:E109-14. 2003..We examined parents' beliefs about how children would react to finding guns, with particular emphasis on how parents reasoned about children's actions...
- Adolescent substance use, sexual behavior, and metropolitan status: is "urban" a risk factor?Sara B Levine
Department of Pediatrics, Residency Program in Social Pediatrics, Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
J Adolesc Health 32:350-5. 2003..To determine if urban youth ("metropolitan" status) are at greater risk of engaging in risk behaviors than suburban or rural youth...
- Preschool and school age activities: comparison of urban and suburban populationsDorothy T Damore
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
J Community Health 27:203-11. 2002..Pediatricians caring for urban children may have an important opportunity to promote participation in sports and educational activities...
- Local understanding, perceptions and reported practices of mothers/guardians and health workers on childhood malaria in a Tanzanian district--implications for malaria controlC Comoro
Department of Sociology, University of Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Acta Trop 87:305-13. 2003..Our findings revealed major gaps in managing severe malaria in the study communities. Interventions addressing these gaps and targeting mothers/guardians, mother in-laws, grandmothers and traditional healers are needed...
- The spectrum of eating disorders in young women: a prevalence study in a general population sampleAngela Favaro
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry at the University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Psychosom Med 65:701-8. 2003..The present study aims to evaluate the prevalence and characteristics of the whole spectrum of eating disorders (ED) in a representative sample of young women...
- Health risk behaviors among adolescents attending rural, suburban, and urban schools: a comparative studySerdar Atav
Decker School of Nursing, Binghamton University, Binghamton, New York, USA
Fam Community Health 25:53-64. 2002..The findings reinforce the need to focus on the relationship between residence and health risk behaviors, so that intervention programs specific to the needs of rural, suburban, and urban adolescents can be developed...
- Parental enforcement of bedtime during childhood modulates preference of Japanese junior high school students for eveningness chronotypeH Takeuchi
Faculty of Education, Kochi University, Japan
Chronobiol Int 18:823-9. 2001..12 +/- 3.36). The results suggest bedtime discipline at home during childhood has an effect on adolescent chronotype, modulating the extent of shift to evening ness in Japanese junior high school boys in particular...
- In conversation: high school students talk to students about tobacco use and prevention strategiesVicki L Plano Clark
Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Nebraska Lincoln, USA
Qual Health Res 12:1264-83. 2002..We explore whether peers really are influential, if the media is important, whether smoking is a matter of personal choice, if schools actually promote tobacco use, and whether adolescents can quit smoking...
- Risk factors for asthma prevalence among urban and nonurban African American childrenJ von Maffei
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
J Asthma 38:555-64. 2001..Urban residence was related to asthma but became nonsignificant once other factors were controlled for. Asthma associated with urban residence may be explained by identifiable factors...
- Parental expectations regarding discussions on psychosocial topics during pediatric office visitsK A Burklow
Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 40:555-62. 2001..When discussions on psychosocial topics did occur, however, most parents (87.3%) perceived pediatricians as helpful...
- Prevalence of school policies, programs, and facilities that promote a healthy physical school environmentSherry Everett Jones
Division of Adolescent and School Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Mail Stop K 33, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1570-5. 2003..We examined the extent to which schools in the United States have health-promoting policies, programs, and facilities...
- Population-based incidence and characteristics of community-onset Staphylococcus aureus infections with bacteremia in 4 metropolitan Connecticut areas, 1998C A Morin
Epidemiology Program, Connecticut Department of Public Health, Hartford, Connecticut 06134-0308, USA
J Infect Dis 184:1029-34. 2001..MRSA is a well-established cause of COSA among persons at high medical risk for S. aureus infection. Additional study to understand community-onset MRSA acquisition is needed...
- Traffic-related air pollution affects peak expiratory flow, exhaled nitric oxide, and inflammatory nasal markersP A Steerenberg
Laboratory for Pathology and Immunobiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Arch Environ Health 56:167-74. 2001..In summary, urban children had increased levels of inflammatory nasal markers, and their responses were more pronounced than were the suburban children's responses to the same increments of air pollution...
- Effects of the Quebec Heart Health Demonstration Project on adult dietary behavioursIsabelle Huot
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Prev Med 38:137-48. 2004..There are few studies which have evaluated the dietary impact of multiple community-based cardiovascular disease prevention programs...
- Higher occurrence of asthma-related symptoms in an urban than a suburban area in adults, but not in childrenM H Wieringa
Dept of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Antwerp (UIA, Belgium
Eur Respir J 17:422-7. 2001..This might be explained by a progressive effect of long-term exposure to the "urban environment". However, longitudinal studies are necessary to further clarify the factors accounting for these age-related area differences...
- Comparison of caregiver otitis media risk factor knowledge in suburban and urban primary care environmentsJoseph E Kerschner
Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9000 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:49-56. 2005..The purpose of this study is to assess caregiver knowledge deficits about risk factors associated with otitis media and their willingness to modify behaviors associated with those risks...
- Topical corticosteroid abuse on the face: a prospective, multicenter study of dermatology outpatientsAbir Saraswat
Indushree Skin Clinic, Lucknow, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 77:160-6. 2011..Abuse of topical corticosteroids (TC), especially over the face, is prevalent worldwide, including in India. Data about the magnitude of this problem in our country is lacking...
- Epidemiology of the viral hepatitis A at the Zenica municipality ara in period from 1987 until 2003Salih Tandir
Cantonal Public Health Institute, Zenica
Med Arh 61:91-3. 2007..of living, it is noticed that the disease occurs significantly less frequently among urban than rural and suburban population (78%). Among total number of patients within the period of epidemic we have registered 82...
- [Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding glaucoma in the urban and suburban population of Lomé (Togo)]Patrice K Balo
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU Tokoin, BP 3001, Lome, Togo
Sante 14:187-91. 2004..This study was undertaken to determine the level of knowledge, the attitudes and practices regarding glaucoma in the population of Lomé...
- Mineral dynamics in Spanish moss, Tillandsia usneoides L. (Bromeliaceae), from Central Florida, USAGeorge J Husk
Department of Biology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 2368, USA
Sci Total Environ 321:165-72. 2004....
- Slum clearance, privatization and residualization: the practices and politics of council housing in mid-twentieth-century EnglandBen Jones
University of Sussex
20 Century Br Hist 21:510-39. 2010..The article suggests that further case studies are needed in order to test the wider applicability of these arguments during the middle years of the twentieth century...
- Inner city, middle-aged African Americans have excess frank and subclinical disabilityDouglas K Miller
School of Medicine, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:207-12. 2005..Healthy People 2010 seeks to decrease or eliminate the health disparities experienced by disadvantaged minority groups...
- Do perceived health risks outweigh the benefits of modern contraceptives? A qualitative study in a suburban population in Istanbul, TurkeyP Ay
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 12:154-61. 2007..To evaluate the health concerns and the perceived non-contraceptive benefits of modern contraceptive methods through utilizing qualitative methods...
- Seroprevalence of human parvovirus B19 in a suburban population in São Paulo, BrazilE M M Huatuco
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 42:443-9. 2008..To analyze the prevalence of IgG antibodies to human parvovirus B19...
- Evaluation of a breastfeeding assessment score in a diverse populationAnne M Mercer
Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics CMH and C, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
J Hum Lact 26:42-8. 2010A previous study performed in a predominately suburban population developed a breastfeeding assessment score (BAS) that was designed to predict, prior to hospital discharge, those mothers who would discontinue breastfeeding within the ..
- Validation of human papillomavirus genotyping by signature DNA sequence analysisSin Hang Lee
Department of Pathology, Milford Hospital, Milford, Connecticut, USA
BMC Clin Pathol 9:3. 2009..with those stored in the Genbank database were also detected by signature DNA sequencing in this rural and suburban population of the United States...
- Racial/ethnic diversification in metropolitan and nonmetropolitan population change in the United States: implications for health care provision in rural AmericaSteve H Murdock
Department of Rural Sociology, Texas A and M University, 2125 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 2125, USA
J Rural Health 19:425-32. 2003....
- Mapping the evolution of 'food deserts' in a Canadian city: supermarket accessibility in London, Ontario, 1961-2005Kristian Larsen
The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, N6A 5C2, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 7:16. 2008....
- [Comparison between telephone and outpatient nursing management in patients with chronic heart failure in a large territorial area in Piedmont, Italy]Loredana Mainardi
U O A di Cardiologia, Ospedale degli Infermi, ASL TO 3, Rivoli, TO
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 11:35-42. 2010..The aim of this study was to analyze the use for 1 year, in an urban or suburban population, of two different nurse-based management systems in addition to usual care for outpatients with congestive ..
- [Myopia prevalence among school-age children in a suburban population]Gabriela Rodríguez-Abrego
Servicio de Epidemiología Hospitalaria, Hospital General Regional 1, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Distrito Federal, Mexico, Mexico
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 47:39-44. 2009an epidemiological study was carried out to assess the prevalence of myopia among school age children of suburban population.
- Subscales scores of the Lithuanian version of CBCL--preliminary data on the emotional and behavioural problems in childhood and adolescenceR Zukauskiene
Department of Psychology, Law University of Lithuania, Ateities str 20, 2057 Vilnius, Lithuania
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 12:136-43. 2003..by parents of 7- to 11- and 12- to 14-year-old school children (N = 1296) drawn from the urban and suburban population. Younger boys scored higher than girls on externalizing problems and total problems scores, and older girls ..
- Mapping of arsenic content and distribution in groundwater in the southeast Pampa, ArgentinaJ D Paoloni
Departamento de Agronomia, Universidad Nacional del Su Conicet, Complejo Palihue, Bahia Blanca, Argentina
J Environ Health 67:50-3. 2005..Groundwater constitutes the only easily exploitable source of water for the large rural and suburban population in the area, both for human consumption and for use in agricultural and livestock production...
- Assessment of environmental estrogens and the intersex/sex reversal capacity for chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in primary and final municipal wastewater effluentsMarc P Fernandez
University of Alberta, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Environ Int 33:391-6. 2007..filter/solid contact (TF/SC) biological secondary treatment plant with chlorine disinfection serving a suburban population of 740,000 was assessed for environmental estrogens...
- Physical work load between 1970 and 1993--did it change?M Torgén
National Institute for Working Life, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Work Environ Health 26:161-8. 2000..changes in self-reported and expert-evaluated physical work loads between 1970 and 1993 in relation to calendar year, birth cohort, and gender in an urban and suburban population sample (232 men and 252 women) born between 1935 and 1952.
- Feasibility of using maternal cancer screening visits to identify adolescent girls eligible for human papillomavirus vaccinationRuth C Carlos
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0030, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:2271-5. 2010..In preparation for a future intervention study, we sought to establish the feasibility of using these visits to identify women with at least one daughter in the appropriate age range for adolescent HPV vaccination...
- Fluoride contamination of aquifers in the southeast subhumid pampa, ArgentinaJ D Paoloni
Departamento de Agronomía UNS CONICET, San Andrés 850 8000 Bahía Blanca, Rca Argentina
Environ Toxicol 18:317-20. 2003..The region has a large rural and suburban population that relies on this groundwater as its principal source of water for human consumption and for use in ..
- Preliminary evidence for an emerging nonmetropolitan mortality penalty in the United StatesArthur G Cosby
Social Science Research Center, Mississippi State University, P O Box 5287, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1470-2. 2008..7 excess deaths, or approximately 35,000 excess deaths. We recommend that research be undertaken to evaluate and utilize our preliminary findings of an emerging US nonmetropolitan mortality penalty...
- Objectively measured walkability and active transport and weight-related outcomes in adults: a systematic reviewGerlinde Grasser
Institute of Social Medicine and Epidemiology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Int J Public Health 58:615-25. 2013....
- What African-American middle school youth report about risk-taking behaviorsNancy H Busen
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Nursing, 6901 Bertner, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 20:393-400. 2006..The purpose of the study on risk-taking was to examine the sample's level and predictors of social adaptation and risk-taking processes and to examine their ideas about risk and risk-taking behavior...
- Estimated prevalence of mental disorders and the desire for social distance--results from population surveys in two large German citiesOlaf von dem Knesebeck
Department of Medical Sociology and Health Economics, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 209:670-4. 2013..Our results indicate that this may not generally be an effective way to reduce stigma. ..
- Risk factors for human papillomavirus infection in Shanghai suburbs: a population-based study with 10,000 womenRong Zhang
Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200011, PR China
J Clin Virol 58:144-8. 2013..High risk human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is the major cause of cervical cancer. Several epidemiological studies have performed HPV screening in Chinese women, but no report was for Shanghai suburb women...
- Clustering of cardiovascular disease risk-factors in semi-urban population in Northern NigeriaT Dahiru
Department of Community Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 16:511-6. 2013..Among NCDs, CVDs constitute the largest share responsible for 48% of all deaths due to NCDs. To determine extend of clustering of these risk-factors in a semi-urban community in northern Nigeria, a population-based study was carried out...
- Depressive disorders in school children of suburban India: an epidemiological studySukanto Sarkar
Central Institute of Psychiatry, Kanke, Ranchi, Jharkhand, 834006, India
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 47:783-8. 2012..Therefore, the present study was aimed at assessing the prevalence of depressive disorders and the associated risk factors in the primary and secondary school children in suburban India...
- Prevalence of depression, quality of life and antidepressant treatment in the Danish General Suburban Population StudyChristina Ellervik
Christina Ellervik, M D, Chief Physician, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Naestved University Hospital, Copenhagen University Hospital, and Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Nord J Psychiatry 68:507-12. 2014The Danish General Suburban Population Study (GESUS), the objective of which is to facilitate epidemiological and genetic research, has included the Major Depression Inventory (MDI) and the WHO-Five Well-Being Index (WHO-5) among the ..
- Perceived green qualities were associated with neighborhood satisfaction, physical activity, and general health: results from a cross-sectional study in suburban and rural Scania, southern SwedenKim de Jong
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Health Place 18:1374-80. 2012..Perceived qualities within green areas, not merely quantity, are related to aspects of well-being in suburban and rural areas...
- An interinstitutional review of the value of FNAB in pediatric oncology in resource-limited countriesRubina Razack
Division of Anatomical Pathology, Stellenbosch University and NHLS Tygerberg, Tygerberg, South Africa
Diagn Cytopathol 40:770-6. 2012..With clinicoradiological correlation and the aid of ancillary techniques, FNAB allows a rapid and accurate preoperative diagnosis for definitive therapy commencement in most cases...
- Computer access and Internet use by urban and suburban emergency department customersMichael C Bond
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Emerg Med 43:159-65. 2012..Patients are increasingly using the Internet (43% in 2000 vs. 70% in 2006) to obtain health information, but is there a difference in the ability of urban and suburban emergency department (ED) customers to access the Internet?..
- Variations in the prevalence of point (pre)hypertension in a Nigerian school-going adolescent population living in a semi-urban and an urban areaChukwunonso E C C Ejike
Department of Biochemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Nigeria
BMC Pediatr 10:13. 2010..This study reports the point-prevalence of the two disorders in a semi-urban and an urban population of school-going adolescents in Nigeria...
- Breast milk macro- and micronutrient composition in lactating mothers from suburban and urban ShanghaiJihong Qian
Neonatal Division, Department of Pediatrics, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai, China
J Paediatr Child Health 46:115-20. 2010..The objective of this study was to measure and compare the macro- and micronutrient composition of breast milk in urban and suburban lactating mothers living in Shanghai, China...
- Variation in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) container productivity in a slum and a suburban district of Rio de Janeiro during dry and wet seasonsRafael Maciel-de-Freitas
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Departamento de Entomologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21045 900, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:489-96. 2007..5-21.14 in the suburban and of 9.56-11.22 in the urban area. This report gives potential support to a more focused and cost-effective Ae. aegypti control in Rio de Janeiro...
- [Dynamic changes of ecosystem service value in Pinggu District of Beijing]Bo Li
State Key Laboratory of Earth Surface Processes and Resource Ecology, College of Resource Science and Technology, Beijing Normal University, Beijing 100875, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 19:2251-8. 2008....
- Early Environmental Hygiene and Pediatric AsthmaChristine C Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..If factors associated with animal or endotoxin contact are related to asthma risk, such factors would likely lend themselves to public health interventions. ..
- A RCT of preconception weight loss vs. OCP in overweight infertile PCOS womenRichard S Legro; Fiscal Year: 2013..continue to recruit in the surrounding rural areas around Penn State Hershey combined with a more urban/suburban population in Rochester...
- US Minority Migration and Metropolitan ChangeWilliam Frey; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- UT Southwestern: Clinical Site for the Drug-Induced Liver Injury NetworkWilliam M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2012..DILIN site for the following reasons: 1) the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex constitutes a widely diverse urban/suburban population of over 6.5 million people...
- SUBURBANIZATION PATTERNS OF RACIAL AND ETHNIC GROUPSRichard Alba; Fiscal Year: 1992..S. born, and mean socioeconomic status...
- Neighborhood Context and Latino YouthReanne Frank; Fiscal Year: 2006..S., the ways in which particular residential contexts influence Latino adolescent development will be increasingly significant for communities across the country. ..
- INFORMAL AND FORMAL SUPPORTS IN AGINGJohn Logan; Fiscal Year: 1990..Finally, the study will examine several other sources of support patterns, including political attitudes, age consciousness, and attitudes toward support norms...
- Ethnic Differences in Competence and Adolescent Drug UseKENNETH GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Health Maintenance Consortium Resource CenterMarcia Ory; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- T Regulatory Cells and Childhood AsthmaJames Gern; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Behavioral and Physiological Responses to Race-Related Stress in Diabetic WomenJulie Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROL IN HYPERTENSIVE SMOKERSMark Vander Weg; Fiscal Year: 2008..We anticipate that those assigned to the BP control program will demonstrate more favorable changes in BP, weight, physical activity, and dietary intake at six- and 12-month follow-ups. ..
- Parent Intervention for Drug-Abusing FathersThomas McMahon; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- TREATMENT OF AGITATION IN THE NURSING HOMEJiska Cohen Mansfield; Fiscal Year: 2010..PHS 398 (Rev. 05/01) Page 2 Principal Investigator/Program Director (Last, first, middle): Cohen-Mansfield, Jiska ..
- Assessing Density of Alcohol Outlets, Other Outlets and CrimeTraci L Toomey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from this study will advance the research literature and inform policy and neighborhood development. ..
- Resources and Opportunities for Neighborhood AttainmentScott J South; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, learning more about the migration behaviors that lead to residence in different types of neighborhoods is an important scientific objective. ..
- The Impact of Cultural Differences on Health Literacy & Chronic Disease OutcomesSusan Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2009..Focus groups, ethnographic interviews, chronic disease diaries and home observations with a subsample of patients will provide greater contextualization and detail, aiding in survey development and the interpretation of survey findings. ..
- DETERMINING/UNDERSTANDING BARRIERS TO ADULT IMMUNIZATIONRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will furnish relevant, up-to-date to enhance policy planning, practice management and medical education. ..
- Spatial Dynamics of Neighborhood EffectsSCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2008..Consequently, understanding more about the nature and operation of these effects is an important scientific and public health objective. ..
- School-Based Mental Health Interventions for RefugeesDina Birman; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Racial and Ethnic Patterns of Residential MobilitySCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- OPIATE ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed animal studies could establish whether gender differences exist and if these differences are based on inherent, first-order biological differences between the sexes. ..
- Community Organizations in Syringe Exchange in SpringfiSusan Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2004..To examine community opinions on needle exchange and other aspects of IDU-targeted HIV prevention through quantitative surveys. ..
- A Randomized Trial to Evaluate Project ARMTraci Toomey; Fiscal Year: 2004..Two secondary goals of the study are to assess the promise of ARM Express for influencing establishment policies and decreasing alcohol-related problems and to evaluate differences between participating and non-participating outlets. ..
- ENGAGEMENT OF PERSONS WITH DEMENTIAJiska Cohen Mansfield; Fiscal Year: 2006..In that way, it presents an exciting prospect for improving the quality of life in demented persons, thereby reducing their caregivers' burden. ..
- Crack & Health Service Use--A Natural History ApproachRussel Falck; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Middle Ear Epithelial Response to Cytokine StimulationJoseph Kerschner; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- AADRC -- Mechanisms of Virus-Induced AsthmaJames Gern; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is proposed that these collaborative studies will provide new insight into mechanisms of respiratory-virus-induced asthma, the possible role of diminished IFN-gamma production in this process, and possibilities for new treatment...
- Impact/HIV Intervention/Adolescent Males Leaving JailNicholas Freudenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..This sub-study will also be used to tailor the intervention tested in this proposal for adolescent females. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inattention in AustraliaTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will be at a marked cost savings due to the employment of existing well-characterized samples and the long history of collaborative studies between investigators from Australia and the United States. ..
- Transdisciplinary Research on Urban Health Collaborative (RMI)Nicholas Freudenberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..This application will provide support for the institutionalization of these efforts at the University that educates more researchers and professionals involved in urban health than any university in the nation. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RELATIONAL PARENTING THERAPY FOR OPIOID ABUSING MOTHERSSuniya Luthar; Fiscal Year: 2002..Guided by previous research, these characteristics will include (a.) intelligence (b.) sensation seeking (c.) ethnicity; and (d.) readiness for treatment. ..
- Competence Skills and Smoking Among Subgroups of YouthKENNETH GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long-term goals are to improve our knowledge regarding the development of tobacco use among youth of different backgrounds, and to ultimately refine and improve smoking prevention programs for diverse youth populations...
- Competence-Enhancement Prevention Program Effects on Later Risky Sexual BehaviorKENNETH GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PERSONAL COMPETENCE SKILLS AND ADOLESCENT ALCOHOL USEKENNETH GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..The long-term goal is to improve our understanding of how alcohol use develops among youth of different backgrounds and to improve prevention intervention for ethnically diverse populations. ..
- TOBACCO PREVENTION WITH PARENTS AND CHILDREN IN AN HMOSusan Curry; Fiscal Year: 2002....