Summary: The destruction of germs causing disease.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- An evaluation of preoperative skin antisepticsAllyson Lipp
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, Glyntaff, Pontypridd
Br J Perioper Nurs 15:12-4, 16-9. 2005..Taking this perspective, the author recently contributed to a systematic review evaluating the use of antiseptics preoperatively...
- Comparison of two alcohol-based surgical scrub solutions with an iodine-based scrub brush for presurgical antiseptic effectiveness in a community hospitalC Gupta
St John North Shores Hospital, Harrison Township, Michigan, USA
J Hosp Infect 65:65-71. 2007..001). Although both of the commercially available alcohol-based solutions may be considered as acceptable alternatives to the BBIS for presurgical antisepsis, the ABWL was found to have significantly higher user acceptability.
- Povidone-iodine: use in hand disinfection, skin preparation and antiseptic irrigationPiyush Durani
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Burns Surgery, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, UK
Int Wound J 5:376-87. 2008..This evidence suggests that the use of povidone-iodine as an agent of choice is dependent on the clinical need but is also likely to be influenced by personal preference...
- Safety of chlorhexidine gluconate used for skin antisepsis in the preterm infantA K Chapman
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Perinatol 32:4-9. 2012..CHG is, however, frequently used in Neonatal Intensive Care Units across the United States. Here, we will review the safety of CHG use in preterm infants...
- Chlorhexidine-Alcohol versus Povidone-Iodine for Surgical-Site AntisepsisRabih O Darouiche
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 362:18-26. 2010..skin is a major source of pathogens that cause surgical-site infection, optimization of preoperative skin antisepsis may decrease postoperative infections...
- Limb wounding and antisepsis: iodine and chlorhexidine in the early management of extremity injuryWilliam G P Eardley
Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, Birmingham, UK
Int J Low Extrem Wounds 11:213-23. 2012..are ubiquitous in other aspects of health care however, and a plethora of studies detail their role in skin antisepsis, the recommendations from which are often anecdotally applied to acute wounding...
- Chlorhexidine-alcohol compared with povidone-iodine for surgical-site antisepsis in cesarean deliveriesGulden Menderes
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Obstet Gynecol 120:1037-44. 2012..To estimate the incidence of surgical-site infection with use of chlorhexidine-alcohol compared with povidone-iodine among women undergoing cesarean deliveries...
- A fall in bloodstream infections followed a change to 2% chlorhexidine in 70% isopropanol for catheter connection antisepsis: a pediatric single center before/after study on a hemopoietic stem cell transplant wardJames S Soothill
Department of Microbiology, Level 4 CB Labs, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, UK
Am J Infect Control 37:626-30. 2009Some catheter-related bloodstream infections originate from catheter connectors; therefore, improved antisepsis of these might be expected to reduce the incidence of such infections.
- Surgical hand antisepsis: the evidenceJudith Tanner
De Montfort University and University Hospitals Leicester, Charles Frears Campus, 266 London Road, Leicester LE2 1RQ
J Perioper Pract 18:330-4, 339. 2008..This article discusses the evidence surrounding aspects of surgical hand antisepsis.
- The forgotten role of alcohol: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the clinical efficacy and perceived role of chlorhexidine in skin antisepsisMatthias Maiwald
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
PLoS ONE 7:e44277. 2012Skin antisepsis is a simple and effective measure to prevent infections. The efficacy of chlorhexidine is actively discussed in the literature on skin antisepsis...
- Surgical hand antisepsis in veterinary practice: evaluation of soap scrubs and alcohol based rub techniquesDenis R Verwilghen
Equine Clinic, Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals and Equids, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Liege, Bld de Colonster 20 B41, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Vet J 190:372-7. 2011..that hydro-alcoholic solutions are more efficient than traditional medicated soaps in the pre-surgical hand antisepsis of human surgeons but there is little veterinary literature on the subject...
- Cathelicidins and functional analogues as antisepsis moleculesNeeloffer Mookherjee
University of British Columbia, Centre for Microbial Diseases and Immunity Research, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:993-1004. 2007..peptides to selectively suppress harmful pro-inflammatory responses, while maintaining beneficial infection-fighting components of host innate defences makes them a good model for antisepsis therapies that merit further investigation.
- Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. The Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, U.SNAOMI P O'GRADY
National Institutes of Health, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Pediatrics 110:e51. 2002..barrier precautions during central venous catheter insertion; 3) using a 2% chlorhexidine preparation for skin antisepsis; 4) avoiding routine replacement of central venous catheters as a strategy to prevent infection; and 5) using ..
- Prospective randomized trial of 3 antiseptic solutions for prevention of catheter colonization in an intensive care unit for adult patientsJ Valles
Critical Care Center, Hospital Sabadell, Institut Universitari Parc Tauli, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sabadell, Spain
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:847-53. 2008To compare the effectiveness for prevention of central venous and arterial catheter colonization of 3 skin antisepsis with 1 of 3 antiseptic solutions: 10% aqueous povidone iodine (aqueous PI), 2% aqueous chlorhexidine gluconate (aqueous ..
- The role of iodine in antisepsis and wound management: a reappraisalG Selvaggi
Plastic Surgery Department, Gent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 103:241-7. 2003..After new developments and publications, the role of iodine in antisepsis and in wound management needs to be reevaluated...
- Safety and impact of chlorhexidine antisepsis interventions for improving neonatal health in developing countriesLuke C Mullany
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21211, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:665-75. 2006..Efficacy trials for all chlorhexidine interventions are needed in low-resource settings in Africa, and the benefit of maternal vaginal cleansing beyond that provided by newborn skin cleansing needs to be determined...
- Analyses comparing the antimicrobial activity and safety of current antiseptic agents: a reviewJohn S Hibbard
J Infus Nurs 28:194-207. 2005....
- Blood culture contamination rates after skin antisepsis with chlorhexidine gluconate versus povidone-iodine in a pediatric emergency departmentLauren Marlowe
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:171-6. 2010To determine blood culture contamination rates after skin antisepsis with chlorhexidine, compared with povidone-iodine.
- Skin antisepsis kits containing alcohol and chlorhexidine gluconate or tincture of iodine are associated with low rates of blood culture contaminationBarbara W Trautner
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:397-401. 2002..We assessed blood culture contamination rates associated with the use of skin antisepsis kits containing either 2% alcoholic chlorhexidine gluconate or 2% alcoholic tincture of iodine.
- Comparison of chlorhexidine and tincture of iodine for skin antisepsis in preparation for blood sample collectionJoan Barenfanger
Laboratory Medicine, Memorial Medical Center, Springfield, Illinois 62781, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2216-7. 2004..7%; for chlorhexidine, it was 3.1%. The 0.41% difference is not statistically significant. Chlorhexidine has comparable effectiveness and is safer, cheaper, and preferred by staff, so it is an alternative to iodine tincture...
- Effectiveness of Chloraprep in reduction of blood culture contamination rates in emergency departmentDwayne Tepus
Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio 44304, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 23:272-6. 2008..Adoption of this technique throughout our institution is expected to result in a savings of 875000 dollars per year, as well as decreased discomfort for the patient...
- Evaluation of ChloraPrep (2% chlorhexidine gluconate in 70% isopropyl alcohol) for skin antisepsis in preparation for blood culture collectionE McLellan
Department of Microbiology, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, United Kingdom
J Infect 57:459-63. 2008..This study evaluated whether using ChloraPrep (2% alcoholic chlorhexidine) instead of 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes reduced contamination rates on two Medical Assessment Units (MAU1 and MAU2)...
- Chlorhexidine and alcohol versus povidone-iodine for antisepsis in gynecological surgeryIshai Levin
Department of Gynecology, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:321-4. 2011Surgical site infections (SSIs) cause severe morbidity and are associated with tremendous health costs. Skin antisepsis (cleansing) with chlorhexidine and alcohol solutions has demonstrated superiority to povidone-iodine in a variety of ..
- Why is it that internists do not follow guidelines for preventing intravascular catheter infections?Lewis Rubinson
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:525-33. 2005..for the use of maximal barrier precautions (mask, sterile gloves, gown, and large drape) and skin antisepsis with 2% chlorhexidine gluconate during CVC insertion, internists in the United States are not implementing these ..
- Operating room management: operative suite considerations, infection controlMaria D Allo
Department of Surgery, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 751 South Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128, USA
Surg Clin North Am 85:1291-7, xii. 2005..Guidelines should be consulted and incorporated into each operating room's policies and procedures...
- [Hygienic and dermatologic aspects of hand disinfection and prophylactic skin antisepsis]A Kramer
Institut fur Hygiene und Umweltmedizin, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald
Hautarzt 56:743-51. 2005..The regular use of skin care and skin protection products can help to prevent toxic skin irritation. For skin antisepsis the recommended exposure times are > or =15 seconds before subcutaneous injections, > or =1 minute before ..
- On washing handsAtul Gawande
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1283-6. 2004
- Key points in the CDC's surgical site infection guidelineAnne Woods
Chandler Hall Wellness Center, Newtown, PA, USA
Adv Skin Wound Care 18:215-20. 2005
- [Hand antisepsis: is it time to use alcohol?]Paul Le Guerrier
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, l Université de Montréal
Perspect Infirm 1:36-7, 40-4. 2004
- A cost comparison of hand hygiene regimensJeannie P Cimiotti
Columbia University School of Nursing, New York, NY, USA
Nurs Econ 22:196-9, 204, 175. 2004..A waterless alcohol-based rub was significantly less costly than traditional handwashing because of reduced time required, and was associated with significantly better quality...
- Management of wound infection after appendectomy: are parenteral antibiotics useful?B Harahsheh
Department of Surgery, King Hussein Medical Centre, Royal Medical Services, Amman, Jordan
East Mediterr Health J 8:638-44. 2002..We conclude that antibiotics do not offer any advantage in post-appendectomy wound infections except for cases of perforated appendix...
- Antisepsis for abdominal hysterectomy: a randomised controlled trial of povidone-iodine gelE Eason
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Ottawa, Canada
BJOG 111:695-9. 2004..To assess whether infectious morbidity after total abdominal hysterectomy is decreased by the addition of 20 cc povidone-iodine gel at the vaginal apex after the usual vaginal preparation with povidone-iodine solution...
- The evolution: Handwashing to hand hygiene guidanceNancy B Bjerke
Crit Care Nurs Q 27:295-307. 2004..In healthcare, the principle of "clean hands are healing hands" bears value and demands compliance in order to prevent and control infectious processes while protecting the person from acquiring infectious diseases...
- Monitoring quality of flexible endoscope disinfection by microbiologic surveillance culturesAnuradha Tunuguntla
East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, USA
Tenn Med 97:453-6. 2004..The purpose of this study is to assess the adequacy of currently approved high-level disinfection (HLD) for flexible endoscopes, by reviewing retrospectively the results of environmental cultures on the endoscopes, which were ready to use...
- Hand scrub products--performance requirements versus clinical relevanceDaryl S Paulson
Bioscience Laboratories, Inc, Bozeman, Mont, USA
AORN J 80:225-34. 2004..Although the test currently used to validate surgical hand scrub products is rigorous in research methodology, it lacks practical clinical relevance...
- Killing germs: antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization in underserved countriesSandra J Pfaff
Plast Surg Nurs 25:140-9; quiz 150-1. 2005
- Sterility of surgical site markingGeoffrey Cronen
Department of Orthopaedics, West Virginia University, P O Box 9196, Health Sciences Center, Morgantown, WV 26506 9196, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2193-5. 2005..In this study, we determined whether marking of the site affected the sterility of the surgical field...
- Impact of newborn skin-cleansing with chlorhexidine on neonatal mortality in southern NepalSourabh Dutta
Pediatrics 120:693-4; author reply 694-5. 2007
- Resistance of antimicrobial skin preparations to saline rinse using a seeded bacteria modelJulie B Stahl
3M Health Care, St Paul, MN 55114 1000, USA
Am J Infect Control 35:367-73. 2007..One agent contained iodine povacrylex in alcohol and the second contained chlorhexidine gluconate in alcohol...
- Joseph Lister (1827-1912): father of antisepsisS Y Tan
University of Hawaii, USA
Singapore Med J 48:605-6. 2007
- Effect of correctly using alcohol-based hand rub in a clinical settingSussie Laustsen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Brendstrupgaardsvej, Aarhus, Denmark
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:954-6. 2008We evaluated hand antisepsis in clinical practice at Aarhus University Hospital in Skejby, Denmark. The rate of compliance with the correct use of alcohol-based hand rub exceeded 55% of all routine clinical procedures observed...
- Safety of anti-infective agents for skin preparation in premature infantsS Upadhyayula
Rotherham General Hospital, Rotherham, UK
Arch Dis Child 92:646-7. 2007
- Impact of newborn skin-cleansing with chlorhexidine on neonatal mortality in southern Nepal: a community-based, cluster-randomized trialJames M Tielsch
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 119:e330-40. 2007..Our objective was to assess the efficacy of a 1-time skin-cleansing of newborn infants with 0.25% chlorhexidine on neonatal mortality...
- Prospective study to determine the penetration of iodide into the anterior chamber following preoperative application of topical 1.25% povidone-iodineFabian Hansmann
University Eye Hospital, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538, Luebeck, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:789-93. 2007Povidone-iodine is currently the agent of choice for pre-operative antisepsis in ophthalmology. Due to experimental and analytical constraints, iodine absorption into the anterior chamber (AC) has not yet been studied...
- Antiseptics, iodine, povidone iodine and traumatic wound cleansingMuhammad N Khan
General Surgery, North Hampshire Hospital NHS Trust, Basingstoke
J Tissue Viability 16:6-10. 2006..This article reviews the current literature on the use of antiseptics particularly povidine iodine in traumatic wound cleansing and discusses the beneficial and harmful effects of such practice...
- Comparison of bacterial counts in glove juice of surgeons wearing smooth band rings versus those without ringsTami R Waterman
College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Am J Infect Control 34:421-5. 2006..Removal of rings is recommended before surgeons aseptically prepare for surgical procedures...
- Stamping out surgical site infectionsSteven Schweon
St Luke s Hospital, Bethlehem, PA, USA
RN 69:36-40; quiz 41. 2006
- Microbial contamination of antiseptics and disinfectantsSomwang Danchaivijitr
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bankok
J Med Assoc Thai 88:S133-9. 2005..To study the bacterial contamination of antiseptics and disinfections in-use and the risk factors for contamination...
- Hand hygiene compliance: step up, reach outDeborah A Fry
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, PA, USA
Nurs Manage 37:40-3. 2006
- Systemic iodine absorption after preoperative antisepsis using povidone-iodine in cataract surgery-- an open controlled studyH Below
Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, DE 17478 Greifswald, Germany
Dermatology 212:41-6. 2006After preoperative conjunctival and periorbital antisepsis with povidone-iodine (PVP-I), the systemic absorption of iodine after cataract surgery was measured to evaluate the risk of thyroid side effects...
- A survey of the appropriate use of antiseptic agents in the operating room of several key health care facilities. A comparison between surveys in 2000 and 2004T Shiraishi
Division of Pharmacy, Yamagata University Hospital, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Dermatology 212:15-20. 2006..These results indicated changes in infection control measures in hospital settings after publication of the new CDC guidelines; environmental disinfection had been limited and excessive use of disinfectants reevaluated...
- Disposable surgical face masks: a systematic reviewAllyson Lipp
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, UK
Can Oper Room Nurs J 23:20-1, 24-5, 33-8. 2005..Neither trial accounted for cluster randomisation in the analysis. Reviewers' conclusions: From the limited results it is unclear whether wearing surgical face masks results in any harm or benefit to the patient undergoing clean surgery...
- Maternal and birth attendant hand washing and neonatal mortality in southern NepalVictor Rhee
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205 2103, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:603-8. 2008..More than 95% of neonatal deaths occur in developing countries, approximately 50% at home. Few data are available on the impact of hand-washing practices by birth attendants or caretakers on neonatal mortality...
- Efficacy of povidone-iodine in preputial antisepsisM Cakmak
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Kirikkale University Medical Faculty, Kirikkale, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 57:752-4. 2003..Surgical soap decreases the colony count, which can lead to increased effectiveness of povidone-iodine after painting. We recommend preoperative local cleaning with surgical soap before surgical painting...
- Wound colonization and infection: the role of topical antimicrobialsR J White
School of Applied Sciences, University of Wales-Institute Cardiff, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Br J Nurs 10:563-78. 2001..This review states the case for taking the antiseptic route as part of the concerted approach to local wound management and infection control...
- The relationship between methodological trial quality and the effects of impregnated central venous cathetersChristine Geffers
Department of Hospital Hygiene, Charite, Heubnerweg 6, 14059 Berlin, Germany
Intensive Care Med 29:403-9. 2003..We assessed the methodological trial quality of individual randomized controlled studies on chlorhexidine silver sulfadiazine impregnated catheters and the effect on catheter-related infection (CRI)...
- Prevention of nosocomial infections in the neonatal intensive care unitIra Adams-Chapman
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 14:157-64. 2002..Educational programs and feedback to nursery personnel improve compliance with infection control programs...
- Prevention of infection in peripheral arterial reconstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysisAndrew H Stewart
Department of Vascular Surgery, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 46:148-55. 2007..The aim of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to determine the effectiveness of perioperative strategies to prevent infection in patients undergoing peripheral arterial reconstruction...
- Catheter-related bloodstream infections, part II: specific pathogens and preventionGianluigi Ferretti
Division of Medical Oncology, Treviglio Hospital, Italy
Cancer Control 10:79-91. 2003
- [Prevention of infections transmitted by intravascular devices (catheters, implanted sites)]G Nitenberg
, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94 805 Villejuif Cedex
Rev Pneumol Clin 57:101-12. 2001..Discussions concerning the real clinical efficiency, ecological risk and the cost-effectiveness of catheters impregnated with antiseptics and/or antibiotics is a perfect illustration of the current debate...
- Patient safety and the science of prevention: the time for implementing the Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections is nowNAOMI P O'GRADY
Critical Care Medicine Department, Warren Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Crit Care Med 31:291-2. 2003
- The pathogenesis of catheter-related bloodstream infection with noncuffed short-term central venous cathetersNasia Safdar
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Medical School, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Intensive Care Med 30:62-7. 2004..We report a prospective study undertaken to determine the pathogenesis of CVC-related BSI...
- Umbilical cord care in premature infants: the effect of two different cord-care regimens (salicylic sugar powder vs chlorhexidine) on cord separation time and other outcomesMarco Pezzati
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Section of Neonatology, University of Firenze School of Medicine, Firenze, Italy
Pediatrics 112:e275. 2003..To evaluate the effect of 2 cord-care regimens (salicylic sugar powder vs chlorhexidine as a 4% detergent water solution) on cord separation time and other outcomes in preterm infants...
- Povidone-iodine liposomes--an overviewK Reimer
Mundipharma GmbH, Limburg, Germany
Dermatology 195:93-9. 1997..on the eye is currently available, PVP-I has been used in ophthalmology not only for pre- and postoperative antisepsis, but also for the treatment of bacterial and viral conjunctivitis and for prophylaxis against ophthalmia ..
- Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory CommitteeA J Mangram
Hospital Infections Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Infect Control 27:97-132; quiz 133-4; discussion 96. 1999..g., laparoscopic cholecystectomy). Recommend specific antiseptic agents for patient preoperative skin preparations or for healthcare worker hand/forearm antisepsis. Hospitals should choose from products recommended for these activitie
- A randomized trial comparing povidone-iodine to a chlorhexidine gluconate-impregnated dressing for prevention of central venous catheter infections in neonatesJ S Garland
St Joseph s Hospital, Milwaukee, WI 53210, USA
Pediatrics 107:1431-6. 2001..Neonates who require a central venous catheter (CVC) for prolonged vascular access experience high rates of catheter-related bloodstream infection (CRBSI)...
- Alcoholic povidone-iodine to prevent central venous catheter colonization: A randomized unit-crossover studyJean Jacques Parienti
Departments of Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cote de Nacre University Hospital, Caen, France
Crit Care Med 32:708-13. 2004To compare effectiveness in preventing central venous catheter colonization and infection of two protocols of cutaneous antisepsis using povidone-iodine solution in combination with ethanol or water.
- The role of the Doran Building in puerperal fever in CanadaJames A Low
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen s University, Kingston ON, Canada
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 29:219-27. 2007..General Hospital, opened in 1894, represents an early Canadian initiative to apply the principles of sanitation, antisepsis, and asepsis to prevent puerperal fever ina freestanding lying-in hospital...
- Comparison of local povidone-iodine antisepsis with parenteral antibacterial prophylaxis for prevention of infective complications of TURP: a prospective randomized controlled studyA I A Ibrahim
College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, King Khalid University, P O Box 1544, Abha, Saudi Arabia
Eur Urol 41:250-6. 2002To determine whether antisepsis with povidone-iodine solution applied at the external urethral meatus confers protection against infective complications following transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and compare that with ..
- Amniotic fluid iodine concentrations do not vary in pregnant women with varying iodine intakeEduardo Garcia-Fuentes
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Universitario Carlos Haya, Malaga, Spain
Br J Nutr 99:1178-81. 2008..The amniocentesis was performed with abdominal antisepsis using chlorhexidine. The iodine concentration was measured in urine and amniotic fluid...
- Norovirus cross-contamination during food handling and interruption of virus transfer by hand antisepsis: experiments with feline calicivirus as a surrogateS Bidawid
Health Canada, Food Directorate, Bureau of Microbial Hazards, Sir F G Banting Research Centre, Ross Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0L2
J Food Prot 67:103-9. 2004..9%). These findings should help in a better assessment of the potential for cross-contamination of foods during handling and also assist in developing more effective approaches to foodborne spread of norovirus infections...
- Office management of minor woundsS Gouin
Department of Pediatrics and Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec
Can Fam Physician 47:769-74. 2001..To review office interventions for minor wounds not requiring sutures, such as abrasions, bites, and lacerations...
- Effect of lidocaine gel on povidone-iodine antisepsis and microbial survivalJohn H Boden
Department of Ophthalmology, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington 98431, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1773-5. 2008To determine whether the use of lidocaine gel prior to povidone-iodine antisepsis is associated with increased microbial survival.
- Master of surgery in Archiv für Klinische ChirurgieH G Beger
Universitätsklinik Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, Ulm, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:17-21. 2010After the routine use of ether narcosis and surgical antisepsis, the evolution of surgery experienced fascinating and genuinely surgical technique-related advancements...
- Pilot trial to compare tolerance of chlorhexidine gluconate to povidone-iodine antisepsis for central venous catheter placement in neonatesJ S Garland
Department of Pediatrics, Wheaton Franciscan Health Care, St Joseph Hospital, Milwaukee, WI 53210, USA
J Perinatol 29:808-13. 2009The purpose of this pilot trial was to determine whether rates of contact dermatitis following cutaneous antisepsis for central catheter placement were similar among neonates treated with chlorhexidine gluconate and povidone-iodine...
- Treatment of head injuries in the American Civil WarH H Kaufman
Department of Neurosurgery, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown
J Neurosurg 78:838-45. 1993..Almost immediately after the war, increased knowledge about cerebral localization and the development of antisepsis (and then asepsis) permitted the development of modern neurosurgery.
- Prevention of infection in arterial reconstructionA Stewart
Dolphin House, Department of Vascular Surgery, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK BS2 8HW
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD003073. 2006..Arterial reconstructions with prosthetic graft materials or vein are susceptible to infection with a resultant high patient mortality and risk of limb loss. To reduce the risk of infection effective perioperative measures are essential...
- Tacky but refined: a "slick" technique for dressings that hold betterP R Carrington
Carrington Dermatology, Rogers, Arkansas 72756, USA
Dermatol Surg 26:929-30. 2000..to the patient (and surgeon) and, at the same time, functions to decrease seroma or hematoma formation, enhances antisepsis by blocking transient bacterial contamination, and inhibits traumatic sabotage of surgical wounds due to patient ..
- The effect of povidone iodine flush versus drops on conjunctival colonization before intravitreal injectionsAmmar Safar
Department of Ophthalmology, Jones Eye Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham, Slot 523, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Int Ophthalmol 27:307-12. 2007..To determine the most effective method of applying povidone iodine 5% to decrease conjunctival colonization before intravitreal injections...
- Comparative testing of liposomal and aqueous formulations of povidone-iodine for their angioirritative potential at the chorioallantoic membrane of ex ovo cultivated chick embryosP Wutzler
Institute for Virology and Antiviral Therapy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Dermatology 207:43-7. 2003..microbicidal activity, povidone-iodine (PVP-I) is used for local anti-infective treatment, especially for wound antisepsis of the skin...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis: is it needed for dialysis access procedures?Loay Salman
Section of Interventional Nephrology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1600 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Semin Dial 22:297-9. 2009..Povidone iodine was used for skin antisepsis in all cases. One patient (0.04%) postangioplasty and one patient (0...
- Efficacy of two ethanol-based skin antiseptics on the forehead at shorter application timesGunter Kampf
Bode Chemie GmbH and Co, KG, Scientific Affairs, Melanchthonstrasse 27, 22525 Hamburg, Germany
BMC Microbiol 7:85. 2007..Colonies were counted after incubation of plates at 36 degrees C for 48 h. The mean log10 reduction of bacteria was calculated. The Wilcoxon matched-pairs signed-ranks test was used for a comparison of treatments...
- [Pott triad and Schmorl nodules. A historical overview of kyphosis with special reference to tuberculous spondylitis and Scheuermann disease]M A Rauschmann
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Stiftung Friedrichsheim, Marienburgstrasse 2, 60528 Frankfurt M
Orthopade 30:903-14. 2001..opinion leaders at the beginning of the century and the influence of new techniques and developments (asepsis, antisepsis, anesthesia, bacteriology, X-ray, antibiotics) on the differential diagnosis and therapy...
- Reproducibility and workability of the European test standard EN 12791 regarding the effectiveness of surgical hand antiseptics: a randomized, multicenter trialManfred Rotter
Institute of Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:935-9. 2006....
- Comparison of povidone iodine and DuraPrep, an iodophor-in-isopropyl alcohol solution, for skin disinfection prior to epidural catheter insertion in parturientsDavid J Birnbach
Departments of Anesthesiology and Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
Anesthesiology 98:164-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the antisepsis achieved with DuraPrep compared with povidone iodine (PI).
- Children as guinea pigs: historical perspectiveSusan E Lederer
Yale University, School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Account Res 10:1-16. 2003..trial of cowpox vaccine, the first human trial of rabies vaccine, and the first treatment of Listerian wound antisepsis. The history of concern for children, especially institutionalized children, in medical research is considered ..
- On the surgical treatment of facial paralysis in the early nineteenth centuryRobert C van de Graaf
Department of Plastic Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:475-80. 2008..They performed their operations at a time when anesthesia, asepsis, antisepsis, and antibiotics had not yet been introduced into surgery...
- Perioperative management of neurosurgical patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusPaul T Akins
Department of Neurosurgery, Kaiser Permanente, Sacramento, California 95825, USA
J Neurosurg 112:354-61. 2010..The authors investigated the impact of MRSA colonization and infection in the neurosurgical population at a community-based, tertiary care referral center...
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings: recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task ForceJohn M Boyce
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:S3-40. 2002..in Health-Care Settings provides health-care workers (HCWs) with a review of data regarding handwashing and hand antisepsis in health-care settings...
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HIPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task ForceJohn M Boyce
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven
Am J Infect Control 30:S1-46. 2002..in Health-Care Settings provides health-care workers (HCWs) with a review of data regarding handwashing and hand antisepsis in health-care settings...
- Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for ProfJohn M Boyce
Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 51:1-45, quiz CE1-4. 2002..in Health-Care Settings provides health-care workers (HCWs) with a review of data regarding handwashing and hand antisepsis in health-care settings...
- [The advantage of preventive vaginal antisepsis with hexetidine in obstetrics and gynecology]H Weidinger
Frauenklinik, Klinikum Bayreuth
Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 51:929-35. 1991..The new hexetidine preparation appeared to be efficient in vaginal antisepsis, especially in pregnancy. A favourable lactobacilli-selective effect was demonstrated...
- Spinal-injured neuropathic bladder antisepsis (SINBA) trialB B Lee
Spinal Medicine Department, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Spinal Cord 45:542-50. 2007..To determine whether Methenamine Hippurate (MH) or cranberry tablets prevent urinary tract infections (UTI) in people with neuropathic bladder following spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- Clinical study on the antiseptic effect of povidone-iodine solution for the surgical field of digestive tract operationsK Shindo
Department of Surgery, Kinki University School of Medicine, Sakai Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Dermatology 204:47-51. 2002Our previous study showed 10% povidone-iodine solution (Isodine) to be safe and effective for skin antisepsis in healthy young adults...
- Evidence-based nursing practice to prevent infection in hospitalized neutropenic patients with cancerElaine Larson
School of Nursing, Columbia University in New York, NY, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 31:717-25. 2004..To review studies that have assessed the effectiveness of selected nursing interventions used in hospitals to prevent healthcare-associated infections in neutropenic patients with cancer...
- [Practice assessment of central venous lines care in surgical ICU of French university hospitals]O Mimoz
EA3809 INSERM, ERI 23, Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, CHU de Poitiers, Universite de Poitiers, 1 rue de la milétrie, Poitiers Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 29:104-12. 2010..The aim of this study was to estimate their knowledge and/or application by physicians in French university hospital ICUs...
- Bacterial contamination of the hands of hospital staff during routine patient careD Pittet
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Geneva Hospitals
Arch Intern Med 159:821-6. 1999..Cross-transmission of microorganisms by the hands of health care workers is considered the main route of spread of nosocomial infections...
- British contributions to modern herniology of the groinR C Read
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Hernia 9:6-11. 2005..Retzius' space (Edinburgh, 1858) with Lister's antisepsis (1865) enabled preperitoneal herniorrhaphy (Annandale, 1876)...
- MRSA patients: proven methods to treat colonization and infectionJ M Boyce
Division of Infectious Diseases, Hospital of Saint Raphael, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
J Hosp Infect 48:S9-14. 2001..placing colonized and infected patients in isolation, use of barrier precautions and handwashing and hand antisepsis. Culturing hospitalized patients at high risk of acquiring MRSA can facilitate detection and isolation of ..
- Antimicrobial effectiveness of povidone-iodine and consequences for new application areasK Reimer
Mundipharma GmbH, Limburg, Deutschland
Dermatology 204:114-20. 2002..Hence alongside the classical fields of application, such as the disinfection of the skin and hands, mucosa antisepsis and wound treatment, there are also useful indications for the substance, i.e...
- Sutureless prepuceplasty with wound healing by second intention: an alternative surgical approach in children's phimosis treatmentEfstratios Christianakis
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Pendeli Children s Hospital, Palaia Pendeli, Athens, Greece
BMC Urol 8:6. 2008..A new technique for the treatment of children's phimosis is presented that minimizes the repairing time, the postoperative complications and maintains the physical foreskin appearance intact...
- BALTIMORE PEDIATRIC EYE SURVEYJames Tielsch; Fiscal Year: 2007..The analysis will focus on estimating the age and race-specific prevalence of ocular disorders in this group and on assessing the association of selected risk factors with the prevalence of these disorders. ..
- Validation of extracellular histones as biomarker and therapeutic target in sepsiFLOREA contact LUPU; Fiscal Year: 2010..that correlates with clinical outcomes, and helps to identify the patients who will benefit from specific antisepsis therapies with histone blockade...
- Small Molecules to Enhance Bacterial Susceptibility to AntisepticsANGELA MARIE POLLARD; Fiscal Year: 2012..activity of the CHG active ingredient in antiseptics using in vitro assays designed to mimic pre-operative antisepsis conditions...
- Infections in Patients treated with Dialysis: Incidence, Risk Factors and OutcomeSeth Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..the impact of facility size, staffing ratios, and prevention strategies such as vaccination prevalence, skin antisepsis type, and catheter locking solutions)...
- Randomized Trial/Reduce Recurrence/Bacterial VaginosisKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..genital hygiene in men represents an important risk factor for BV, and that improved male genital hygiene or antisepsis, especially among uncircumcised men, and/or antibiotic treatment of the male partners with broad-spectrum ..
- Novel Topical Treatment of EczemaBakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..3%-72.9%) as a consequence to frequent hand washing, antisepsis techniques, and chronic occlusion from gloving...
- Chemical and Biological Studies on Biaryl PhenolicsKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2005Continuing biological evaluation of potential anticancer and antisepsis chemotherapeutic analogues of members of the hydrolyzable tannin family of secondary plant metabolites is proposed...
- Biofilm Prevention and Treatment DeviceSteven Frank; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study proposes an active, iontophoretic, delivery system - Active Antisepsis (AA) - that electronically controls the dose and penetration of silver ions surrounding a treated medical device...
- Incidence, risk factors, and consequences of neonatal hypothermia in NepalLUKE MULLANY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Examination of alternate cutoffs for defining hypothermia severity may improve design of low-cost technologies for identification and subsequent management of hypothermic infants in the community. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ZINC SUPPLEMENTATION IMPACT ON CHILD MORTALITY--NEPALJames Tielsch; Fiscal Year: 2003..The analysis will focus on comparison of rates of mortality and morbidity between treatment groups with additional analyses of subgroups to look for interaction by age, gender or baseline nutritional status. ..
- Catheter Dwell Time and Risk of Bloodstream Infections in Hospitalized NeonatesAaron M Milstone; Fiscal Year: 2011..This project will help to develop evidence-based strategies to prevent bloodstream infections among vulnerable infants hospitalized in the neonatal intensive care unit. ..
- Staff Hand Hygiene and Nosocomial Infections in NeonatesElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Stopping URIs and FLU in the Family: the Stuffy TrialElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Discharge Planning and Telehealth for Post CABG EldersRuth Kleinpell; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HOME HYGIENE INTERVENTIONElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Logistic regression, Liang-Zeger regression, and Chi Square analyses will be used to test differences in rates of transmission of symptoms and changes in quantity, types and resistance patterns of microbial flora of the hands. ..
- Electrophysiology Of Avian Brainstem TopographyDavid Harris; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interdisciplinary Research:Antimicrobial Resistance(RMI)Elaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the final year, plans for a sustainable Consortium on antimicrobial resistance will be formalized. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antimicrobial LaserDavid Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..pathogens described in this application will enable the design of a novel laser system optimized for root antisepsis. Phase I: Six-month feasibility study: Develop a quantitative, predictive model...
- Impact of Hand Hygiene Guideline on Infections and CostsElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Newborn Antiseptic Washing and Neonatal Mortality-NepalJames Tielsch; Fiscal Year: 2005..The umbilical cord infection trial will require only one year of recruitment to obtain adequate numbers to detect a 20% in infection rates in the treatment groups. ..
- Anti-Selectin Blocker for Liver Ischemic InjuryLUIS TOLEDO PEREYRA; Fiscal Year: 2006..Treatment with TCB-1269 will enhance the quality of life of millions of patients suffering from the large number of maladies associated with ischemia/reperfusion ischemic maladies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..