- Dissolved organic carbon in runoff and tile-drain water under corn and forage fertilized with hog manure
Soils and Crops Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 2560 Hochelaga Blvd, Quebec, Quebec, G1V 2J3 Canada
J Environ Qual 36:855-63. 2007
- Physico-chemical characteristics of groundwater at Churu tehsil, Rajasthan, India
University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Rajasthan
J Environ Sci Eng 49:203-6. 2007
..C.M.R., which is 1500 ppm. The high values of these parameters may have health implications and therefore these need attention...
- Hypoxia in the Baltic Sea and basin-scale changes in phosphorus biogeochemistry
Daniel J Conley
Department of Marine Ecology, National Environmental Research Institute, P O Box 358, DK 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Environ Sci Technol 36:5315-20. 2002
..The long residence time and internally controlled variation of the large P pool in the Baltic Sea has important implications for management of both N and P inputs into this eutrophicated enclosed basin...
- Ischemic heart disease mortality reduction in an arseniasis-endemic area in southwestern Taiwan after a switch in the tap-water supply system
Chih Ching Chang
Institute of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:1353-61. 2004
..Based on the reversibility criterion, the association between arsenic exposure an1rd CHD-related mortality is likely to be causal...
- Arsenicosis in Bangladesh: prevalence and socio-economic correlates
Research and Evaluation Division, Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee, 75 Mohakhali, 1212 Dhaka, Bangladesh
Public Health 118:559-64. 2004
..More studies are needed to design effective interventions to mitigate the effects of arsenic in Bangladesh...
- A biological loss of endosulfan and related chlorinated organic compounds from aqueous systems in the presence and absence of oxygen
T F Guerin
Shell Engineering Ltd, NSW State Office, PO Box 26, Granville 2142 NSW, Australia
Environ Pollut 115:219-30. 2001
..The findings also highlight the importance of critically reviewing half-life data, to determine what the predominant processes are that are acting on the compounds under study...
- Does arsenic exposure increase the risk for liver cancer?
Hui Fen Chiu
Department of Pharmacology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:1491-500. 2004
..However, data show fluctuations in male liver cancer mortality rates. Based on the reversibility criterion, the association between arsenic exposure and liver cancer mortality is likely to be causal for females but not in males...
- Nutrient load estimation in nonpoint source pollution of Hong Kong region
H E Li
Environmental Science Institute, Xi an University of Technology, Xi an 710048, Shaanxi Province, PR China
Water Sci Technol 51:209-16. 2005
- The status of pesticide pollution in surface waters (rivers and lakes) of Greece. Part I. Review on occurrence and levels
Ioannis K Konstantinou
Department of Chemistry, University of Ioannina, Ioannina 45110, Greece
Environ Pollut 141:555-70. 2006
..Moreover, emphasis should be placed on degradation products not sufficiently studied so far...
- Field-scale evaluation of the passive flux meter for simultaneous measurement of groundwater and contaminant fluxes
Michael D Annable
Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences, and Department of Civil Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:7194-201. 2005
..These results support the PMF method as a potential innovative alternative for measuring groundwater and contaminant fluxes in screened wells...
- Analysis of chemical contamination within a canal in a Mexican border colonia
Janel E Owens
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Southwestern University, Georgetown, TX 78626, USA
Environ Pollut 140:506-15. 2006
..At each sampling location, high concentrations of total coliform (> 10(4) colonies/100 mL sample), lead (ranging from 0.05 to 0.40 mg/L), nickel (levels from 0.21 to 1.45 mg/L), and benzene (up to 9.80 mg/L) were noted...
- Field application of a set of cellular biomarkers in the digestive gland of the freshwater snail Radix peregra (Gastropoda, Pulmonata)
Laboratoire Ecotoxicite, Santé Environnementale, CNRS UMR 7146, Universite de Metz, rue General Delestraint, F 57070 Metz, France
Aquat Toxicol 77:19-32. 2006
- Water pollution from major industries in Paradip area--a case study
K N Patnaik
Quality Control Laboratory, Paradeep Phosphates Ltd, Paradip 754145
Indian J Environ Health 44:203-11. 2002
..The quality of the surface water and ground water have been studied thoroughly and in consequence to this, further pollution control measures are recommended...
- Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by chaff in batch mode
Department of Chemistry, Zhengzhou University, No 75 of Daxue North Road, Zhengzhou, Henan Province 450052, PR China
J Hazard Mater 137:550-7. 2006
..The thermodynamics parameters of MB/chaff system indicate spontaneous and endothermic process. It was concluded that an increase in temperature results in a bigger MB loading per unit weight of the chaff...
- Use of agricultural waste sugar beet pulp for the removal of Gemazol turquoise blue-G reactive dye from aqueous solution
Hacettepe University, Department of Chemical Engineering, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 137:418-30. 2006
..The thermodynamic analysis indicated that the sorption process was exothermic and the biosorption of dye on dried sugar beet pulp might be physical in nature...
- Anaerobically treated wastewater in agricultural irrigation as an alternative for posttreatment in water-demanding zones
Department of Chemical Engineering, Universidad de La Frontera, Casilla 54D, Temuco, Chile
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 109:197-206. 2003
- Xenoestrogens in the River Elbe and its tributaries
Wasserguetestelle Elbe der Arbeitsgemeinschaft fuer die Reinhaltung der Elbe, Nessdeich 120 121, 21129 Hamburg, Germany
Environ Pollut 124:497-507. 2003
..On the basis of the monitoring data and its implications for estrogenic potency the inclusion of bisphenol A in the list of priority substances (European Union Directive 2000/60/EC, Annex X) should be considered...
- Long-term trends in sodium and chloride in the Mohawk River, New York: the effect of fifty years of road-salt application
K S Godwin
Forestry Drive, State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Environ Pollut 124:273-81. 2003
..Moreover, despite population decline within this rural upstate watershed, increased environmental stewardship, and The Clean Water Act, concentrations of Na+ and Cl- still increased during the 1990s...
- Ecotoxicological study of Lithuanian and Estonian wastewaters: selection of the biotests, and correspondence between toxicity and chemical-based indices
Aquatic Toxicology Unit, Institute of Botany, Z Ezeru 49, 2021 Vilnius, Lithuania
Aquat Toxicol 63:27-41. 2003
..In search of suitable test-battery for the screening of certain type of WWs, a preliminary study comprising excessive suite of tests might be useful...
- The influence of metal source uncertainty on cost-effective allocation of mine water pollution abatement in catchments
Department of Land and Water Resources Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology KTH, Brinellvagen 32, 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
J Environ Manage 78:138-48. 2006
..In contrast, cost-effective solutions are relatively insensitive to uncertainty in total pollutant discharge from mine water sources...
- Perfluorooctanoate and perfluorooctane sulfonate concentrations in surface water in Japan
Research Institute for Environmental Sciences and Public Health of Iwate Prefecture, Japan
J Occup Health 46:49-59. 2004
..07) ng/L] was significantly higher than in other areas. The present study confirms that recognizable amounts of PFOA are released in the Osaka area and that people are exposed to PFOA through drinking water ingestion...
- Multi-criteria decision analysis for the optimal management of nitrate contamination of aquifers
Mohammad N Almasri
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Utah Water Research Laboratory, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322 8200, USA
J Environ Manage 74:365-81. 2005
..The results also show that the proposed decision analysis framework, within certain limitations, is effective when selecting alternatives with competing demands...
- Direct data manipulation for local decision analysis as applied to the problem of arsenic in drinking water from tube wells in Bangladesh
Department of Statistics and Department of Political Science, Columbia University, NY, USA
Risk Anal 24:1597-612. 2004
..We use simple nonparametric clustering methods and estimate uncertainties using cross-validation...
- Organochlorine and organophosphorous pesticide residues in ground water and surface waters of Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Facility for Ecological and Analytical Testing, 302 Southern Laboratories, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh 208016, India
Environ Int 31:113-20. 2005
..Pesticides like DDE, DDT, aldrin, ethion, methyl parathion and endosulfan were not detected in both the surface and ground water samples...
- Environmental pollution in rural areas of Orissa state due to industrial emissions--with special reference to fluoride
A K Mukherjee
Regional Occupational Health Center Eastern, Calcutta
Indian J Environ Health 45:325-34. 2003
..054 - 19.61 mg/m3. Water sources of the villages near the smelter showed fluoride values above permissible limit. The study indicated higher fluoride pollution in air and water of the surrounding villages...
- Occurrence and distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in reclaimed water and surface water of Tianjin, China
College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Nankai University, Tianjin, China
J Hazard Mater 122:51-9. 2005
..The analysis results of the ratios and PCA in this study showed that the ratios and PCA could be applied to the surface water investigation to some extent...
- Batch and column studies on biosorption of acid dyes on fresh water macro alga Azolla filiculoides
T V N Padmesh
Department of Chemical Engineering, Anna University, Chennai 600025, India
J Hazard Mater 125:121-9. 2005
..filiculoides exhibited 28.1mg/g for AG3. The Bed Depth Service Time model and the Thomas model were used to analyze the experimental data and the model parameters were evaluated...
- Mapping of fluoride endemic areas and correlation studies of fluoride with other quality parameters of drinking water of Veppanapalli block of Dharmapuri district in Tamil Nadu
Department of Chemistry, Gandhigram Rural Institute Deemed University, Gandhigram, India
Indian J Environ Health 45:281-4. 2003
..The experimental results of the application of linear and multiple regression equations on the influence of hardness, alkalinity, total dissolved solids and pH on fluoride are discussed...
- Arsenic contamination in parts of Yamuna sub-basin, West Bengal
Department of Hydrology, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India
Indian J Environ Health 45:265-74. 2003
..Arsenic values have not indicated any well defined association with many other constituents. Arsenic buildup could also not be conclusively related to lowering of ground water table of the study area...
- Identification of the pharmaceuticals for human use contaminating the Italian aquatic environment
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
J Hazard Mater 122:205-9. 2005
- Electrochemical determination of pharmaceuticals in spiked water samples
Dipartimento di Chimica, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Hazard Mater 122:219-25. 2005
..An enrichment step of approximately two orders of magnitude was performed by a solid-phase extraction procedure (SPE) in order to concentrate the samples. The developed method was optimized and tested on spiked river water samples...
- Adsorption of phenolic compound by aged-refuse
The State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, School of Enviromental Science and Engineering, Tongji University, Siping Road 1239, Shanghai 200092, China
J Hazard Mater 137:410-7. 2006
..The thermodynamic analysis indicates that the adsorption is spontaneous and endothermic...
- Contribution of non-agricultural pesticides to pesticide load in surface water
Institut für Wasserforschung GmbH Dortmund, Zum Kellerbach 46, 58239 Schwerte, Germany
Pest Manag Sci 60:525-30. 2004
..2% of the estimated amount applied annually in the investigated catchments. Non-agricultural pesticide use contributed more than two-thirds of the whole observed pesticide load in the tributaries and at least one-third in the River Ruhr...
- Embedding expert knowledge in a decision model: evaluating natural attenuation at TCE sites
Neil A Stiber
USEPA Office of Research and Development, Office of Science Policy, Washington, DC 20460, USA
J Hazard Mater 110:151-60. 2004
..The ability of the proposed scoring system to assess the bioattenuation potential of TCE is demonstrated using data from extensively studied sites...
- Characterizing the pollution produced by an industrial area: chemometric methods applied to the Lagoon of Venice
Anti Pollution Department, Magistrato alle Acque, S Polo, 19, 30125 Venice, Italy
Sci Total Environ 370:99-116. 2006
- Chemical contamination of potable water in ship tanks
Hamburg Port Health Center, Institute of Occupational and Maritime Medicine ZfAM, University of Hamburg, Germany
Int Marit Health 58:79-91. 2007
..The aim of this study was to explore the frequency of drinking water contamination by chemicals in a selected sample of vessels and to assess the usefulness of recommended control measures...
- Induction of chromosome aberrations in the Allium cepa test system caused by the exposure of seeds to industrial effluents contaminated with azo dyes
Department of Biology, Institute of Biosciences, Sao Paulo State University, Bela Vista, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Chemosphere 72:722-5. 2008
..If the damage results in cell death, the development of the organism may be affected, which could also lead to its death...
- Assessment of the chemical quality of drinking water in Cambodia
Peter R Feldman
Plan International Cambodia, PO Box 1280, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
J Water Health 5:101-16. 2007
..Elevated levels of these parameters have caused consumers to reject newly installed water supplies, often in favour of surface water sources that are bacteriologically unsafe...
- Investigation of temporal trends in hydrochemical quality of surface water in Western Turkey
Faculty of Engineering, Department of Environmental Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Tinaztepe Campus, Buca 35160, Izmir, Turkey
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 80:469-74. 2008
..Moreover, variable concentrations generally decreased or did not change over time. This study showed that, trend detection and data grouping methods help decision makers to judge effectiveness of management programs...
- Physico-chemical characteristics and correlation, and regression study on ground water of Coimbatore north zone
M Ibrahim Bathusha
Department of Civil Engineering, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
J Environ Sci Eng 49:215-24. 2007
..This provides an easy and rapid method of monitoring of water quality...
- A comparative study of the treatment techniques for controlling THM-precursors in raw and drinking water
Vidyadhar B Gawandi
Inorganic Chemistry Division, Department of Chemistry, Institute of Science, 15, Madam Cama Road, Mumbai, India
J Environ Sci Eng 49:283-6. 2007
..Freundlich adsorption isotherm constants K for silica gel and IRA 400-OH form resin were determined as 1.13 x 10(-3) and 4.2 x 10(-3) mg/g respectively and l/n were found to be 0.9927 and 1.069 respectively...
- Anomalous fluoride concentration in groundwater - is it natural or pollution? A stable isotope approach
Maria Paula Casagrande Marimon
Universidade do Estado de Santa Catarina, Lagoa da Conceição, Florianopolis SC, Brazil
Isotopes Environ Health Stud 43:165-75. 2007
..Hence, an origin of the high fluoride content in groundwater related to long-term rock-water interactions seems likely...
- Determination of acute and early life stage toxicity of fat-plant effluent using zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Biology Department, Science and Art Faculty, Ataturk University, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Environ Toxicol 23:480-6. 2008
..We conclude that the test using zebrafish is feasible to evaluate both acute and chronic toxicities of industrial effluents...
- Ecotoxicological assessment of industrial wastewaters in Trancão River Basin (Portugal)
INETI, Estrada Paço Lumiar, Lisboa 1649 038, Portugal
Environ Toxicol 23:466-72. 2008
..Moreover, the added value of the ecotoxicological assessment of industrial wastewaters was demonstrated and could support the implementation of EU Directives (e.g. IPPC, WFD) within the Portuguese situation...
- Water quality characteristics along the course of the Huangpu River (China)
Hong Jun Yang
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
J Environ Sci (China) 19:1193-8. 2007
..This will block the self-purification of surface water, by decreasing the rate of nitrification-denitrification transformation process in the water body...
- Analysis of heavy metals in water and surface sediment in five Rift Valley lakes in Kenya for assessment of recent increase in anthropogenic activities
E Z Ochieng
Department of Chemistry, College of Biological and Physical Sciences, University of Nairobi, P O Box 30197, Nairobi, Kenya
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 79:570-6. 2007
..Data on some important limnological parameters including pH, salinity, electrical conductivity and temperature are also presented...
- Arsenic removal from real-life groundwater by adsorption on laterite soil
Sanjoy Kumar Maji
Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721302, India
J Hazard Mater 151:811-20. 2008
..21 l/(mgh) and 69.22 mg/l, respectively. Aqueous NaOH (1 M) could regenerate the adsorbent, and the regenerated adsorbent showed higher efficiency...
- A proposed approach for the assessment of chemicals in indirect potable reuse schemes
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:1654-63. 2007
..The application of this approach will help policymakers set guidelines regarding unregulated chemicals in recycled water...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) contamination in San Francisco Bay: a 10-year retrospective of monitoring in an urbanized estuary
Daniel R Oros
San Francisco Estuary Institute, 7770 Pardee Lane, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94621, USA
Environ Res 105:101-18. 2007
..Modeling results have shown that the predominant loss pathway for PAH is degradation in sediments, and unless external loading levels of PAH are controlled, the Bay is not expected to recover rapidly...
- Persistent pollutants urban rivers sediment survey: implications for pollution control
Scottish Environment Protection Agency, 7 Whitefriars Crescent, Perth, PH2 OPA, UK
Water Sci Technol 51:217-24. 2005
- Removal of boron (B) from waste liquors
J Q Jiang
School of Engineering, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Water Sci Technol 53:73-9. 2006
..e. removing 150 g of boron from 1 m3 of effluent, electrocoagulation was 6.2 times cheaper than alum coagulation. The economic advantage of electrocoagulation in the treatment of boron-containing waste effluent is thus significant...
- Monitoring of dialysis water systems--is there a need for increased sampling?
Dialysis Unit, Barts and The London NHS Trust, UK
EDTNA ERCA J 32:74-7. 2006
..Increasing the number and frequency of machine connection points tested should provide greater security in detecting contamination and allow for remedial action at an earlier stage...
- Titration curves: a useful instrument for assessing the buffer systems of acidic mining waters
Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Berlin, Germany
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 13:215-24. 2006
..The buffering systems are of importance for environmental studies and treatment of acidic mining waters...
- Aquatic processes and systems in perspective
Aaron M Peck
Hollings Marine Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
J Environ Monit 8:874-9. 2006
- Effects of pulp and paper mill discharges on caged rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): biomarker responses along a pollution gradient in the Biobio River, Chile
Aquatic Systems Research Unit EULA Chile Environmental Sciences Centre, University of Concepcion, Chile
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:2280-7. 2006
- Water quality assessment of the Purna river for irrigation purpose in Buldana district, Maharashtra
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur 440 020
Indian J Environ Health 44:247-57. 2002
..The values of SAR, %Na and RSC indicate good to permissible quality of water as per the BIS standard for irrigation...
- Use of blood parameters in fish to assess acidic stress and chloride pollution in French running waters
Laboratoire Ecotoxicite, Biodiversité, Santé Environnementale, Universite de Metz, France
Chemosphere 47:467-73. 2002
..While indigenous trout maintained their Cl- content even in the acidic streams, transferred trout exhibited an important decrease of Cl- content after 48 h of exposure under acidic conditions...
- Prediction of pesticide concentrations found in rivers in the UK
Colin D Brown
Cranfield Centre for EcoChemistry, Cranfield University, Silsoe, Bedfordshire MK45 4DT, UK
Pest Manag Sci 58:363-73. 2002
..The evaluation supports the intended use of the model in assisting the construction of pesticide monitoring programmes...
- Monitoring phenolic compounds during biological treatment of Kraft pulp mill effluent using bacterial biosensors
V L Campos
Microbiology Department, University of Concepcion, Post Office Box 160 C, Correo 3, Concepcion, Chile
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 77:383-90. 2006
- Chlorinated and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in riverine and estuarine sediments from Pearl River Delta, China
Bi Xian Mai
State Key Lab Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Environ Pollut 117:457-74. 2002
..In addition, the concentrations of a number of organic compounds of the Pearl River Delta samples indicate that sediments of the Zhujiang river and Macao harbor are most likely to pose biological impairment...
- Ecotoxicological assessment of sediment, suspended matter and water samples in the upper Danube River. A pilot study in search for the causes for the decline of fish catches
Department of Zoology, Aquatic Ecology and Toxicology Section, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 13:308-19. 2006
..The results of this pilot study will be used to decide if a comprehensive weight-of-evidence study is needed...
- Leaching and half-life of the herbicide tebuthiuron on a recharge area of Guarany aquifer in sugarcane fields in Brazil
Antonio L Cerdeira
Brazilian Department of Agriculture, Jaguariuna, SP, Brazil
J Environ Sci Health B 42:635-9. 2007
..Tebuthiuron had a half-life of 20 days under those conditions. No tebuthiuron residue was found in ground water samples at any sampling time...
- Organochlorine pesticide and trace metal monitoring of Russian rivers flowing to the Arctic Ocean: 1990-1996
L B Alexeeva
Department of Environmental Monitoring and Pollution, SPA Typhoon, Institute of Experimental Meteorology, Obninsk, Russia
Mar Pollut Bull 43:71-85. 2001
..Ni was monitored at too few rivers to estimate its total Russian flux. The fluxes for the HCHs considerably exceed previous estimates and indicate that the Arctic Ocean is not in balance as much as was previously believed...
- Leaching behaviour of coal-ash: a case study
M R Hajarnavis
Indian J Environ Health 45:293-8. 2003
..Results of analysis of soil and fly ash samples were then compared with the results of lysimeter-I and lysimeter-II. The study reveals that metals respond differently at dumping site while reacting with soil and water...
- Effects of physical habitat degradation on the stream fish assemblage structure in a pasture region
laboratorio de ictiologia, Departamento de Zoologia e Botânica, IBILCE, UNESP Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rua Cristovao Colombo, 2265, 15054 000, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
Environ Manage 38:974-82. 2006
..the fish assemblage structure from streams with different intensities of physical habitat degradation and chemical water pollution by domestic sewage in southeastern Brazil...
- Spatial patterns of water quality in the Cuiabá River basin, Central Brazil
Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso, Departamento de Geografia, Av Fernando Correa da Costa s n, 78060 900, Cuiaba, MT, Brazil
Environ Monit Assess 123:41-62. 2006
..66 mg/L of total nitrogen in the affluents. Most serious biological and chemical water pollution can be observed at stream outlets in the urban agglomeration of Cuiabá/Várzea Grande...
- Temporal trends in metal levels in eggs of the endangered roseate tern (Sterna dougallii) in New York
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway 08854 5635, USA
Environ Res 77:36-42. 1998
..Metal levels in roseate tern eggs are several times higher than the median reported for most birds, and the possible impact on the population requires study...
- Water quality assessment of an untreated effluent impacted urban stream: the Bharalu tributary of the Brahmaputra River, India
T R Girija
Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, 781039, India
Environ Monit Assess 130:221-36. 2007
- Water quality and trace metal distribution in a pristine Lake in the Lake basin in Kenya
E Z Ochieng
Department of Chemistry, College of Biological and Physical Sciences, University of Nairobi, P O Box 30197, Nairobi, Kenya
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 80:362-8. 2008
- Removal of 2,4-dichlorophenol and pentachlorophenol from waters by sorption using coal fly ash from a Portuguese thermal power plant
Berta N Estevinho
LEPAE, Departamento de Engenharia Quimica, Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto, Rua Dr Roberto Frias, 4200 465 Porto, Portugal
J Hazard Mater 143:535-40. 2007
..Column saturation was achieved after 7h of continuous operation for 2,4-DCP and 10h for the PCP for feed levels of 10 microg/ml. Fly ash exhibited more affinity towards the sorption of PCP, in comparison to 2,4-DCP...
- Algal toxins or copper poisoning--revisiting the Palm Island "epidemic"
Med J Aust 181:344. 2004
- The Prestige oil spill: a scientific response
Mar Pollut Bull 53:205-7. 2006
- The effect of field conditions on low Reynolds number flow in a wetland
Erin N Burke
O Brien and Gere, 512 East Township Line Road, Two Valley Square, Suite 120, Blue Bell, PA 19422, USA
Water Res 43:508-14. 2009
..Model results indicate that non-uniform velocities significantly affect the diffusion coefficient and a range of diffusion coefficients should be considered when designing CSWs...
- Streamwater acid-base chemistry and critical loads of atmospheric sulfur deposition in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
T J Sullivan
E and S Environmental Chemistry, Inc, P O Box 609, Corvallis, OR 97339, USA
Environ Monit Assess 137:85-99. 2008
..The median modeled siliciclastic stream had a calculated critical load to achieve ANC >50 microeq/L in 2100 that was about 3 kg/ha/year, or 77% lower than deposition in 1990, representing the time of model calibration...
- Mussel watch program for organic contaminants along the Korean coast, 2001-2007
Hee Gu Choi
Environment Research Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, 408 1, Sirang ri, Gijang eup, Gijang gun, Busan, 619 705, Republic of Korea
Environ Monit Assess 169:473-85. 2010
- Estimating the effects of excess nutrients on stream invertebrates from observational data
Lester L Yuan
National Center for Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Mail Code 8623P, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D C 20460, USA
Ecol Appl 20:110-25. 2010
..Using propensity scores can greatly improve the accuracy of insights drawn from observational data by minimizing the potential that factors other than the factor of interest may confound the results...
- Accidental ammonia exposure to county fair show livestock due to contaminated drinking water
Enzo R Campagnolo
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Springfield, Illinois 62704, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 44:282-5. 2002
..This accident underscores the importance of meticulous observation of safety guidelines and measured working practices in agriculture and animal husbandry...
- Determination of the herbicide benfuresate by its photo-induced chemiluminescence using flow multicommutation methodology
J R Albert-García
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Talanta 75:717-24. 2008
..S.D. of 3.9% and 3.4%, respectively. After testing the influence of a large series of potential interferents the method is applied to water samples obtained from different places, human urine and to one formulation...
- Impacts of fertilization on water quality of a drained pine plantation: a worst case scenario
Bray J Beltran
Arizona State University, Environmental Life Sciences Program, 1711 S Rural Rd, Tempe, AZ 8528, USA
J Environ Qual 39:293-303. 2010
..Additionally, the mature-thinned watershed presented higher average nutrient concentrations and loadings when compared to the young watershed, which received a reduced fertilizer rate than the mature-thinned watershed...
- Local adaptation of microbial communities to heavy metal stress in polluted sediments of Lake Erie
Matthew J Hoostal
Department of Biological Sciences, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403 0212, USA
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 65:156-68. 2008
..The results of this study suggest community-level adaptations through the development of resistance mechanisms to the types and local levels of heavy metals in the environment...
- Pollution control technologies for the treatment of palm oil mill effluent (POME) through end-of-pipe processes
Ta Yeong Wu
Chemical and Sustainable Process Engineering Research Group, School of Engineering, Monash University, Jalan Lagoon Selatan, Bandar Sunway, 46150, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
J Environ Manage 91:1467-90. 2010
..This paper thus discusses and compares state-of-the-art POME treatment methods as well as their individual performances...
- Mechanisms controlling the leaching kinetics of fixated flue gas desulfurization (FGD) material under neutral and acidic conditions
Chin Min Cheng
Dep of Civil and Environ Eng and Geo Sci, The Ohio State Univ, 470 Hitchcock Hall, 2070 Neil Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Environ Qual 36:874-86. 2007
..X-ray diffraction (XRD) and elemental composition analyses before and after leaching suggests that for most elements a number of solid phases controlled the leaching process...
- Long term variation in water colour from Yorkshire catchments
C D Watts
CEH Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
Sci Total Environ 278:57-72. 2001
..These periods are followed by enhanced levels of colour and, since the end of the 1995 drought, unprecedented high values have been recorded at some catchments...
- Are forested buffers an effective conservation strategy for riparian fauna? An assessment using meta-analysis
Laurie B Marczak
University of British Columbia, Department of Forest Sciences, 3041 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Ecol Appl 20:126-34. 2010
..Our results indicate that current buffer prescriptions do not maintain most terrestrial organisms in buffer strips at levels comparable to undisturbed sites...
- Utilization of fly ash to improve the quality of the acid mine drainage generated by oxidation of a sulphide-rich mining waste: column experiments
Department of Geology, University of Huelva, Campus El Carmen, E 21071 Huelva, Spain
Chemosphere 67:1637-46. 2007
- Batch Pb2+ and Cu2+ removal by electric furnace slag
Department of Materials, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, Ivana Luèića 1, Zagreb, Croatia
Water Res 35:3436-40. 2001
..9760 to 0.9994. Data from this study indicated the potential use of the tested electric furnace slag, a by-product from "Felis" foundry in Sisak, Croatia, as Pb2+ and Cu2+ sorbents from the industrial effluents...
- Environmental deterioration increases tadpole vulnerability to predation
Zoe E Squires
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Biol Lett 4:392-4. 2008
..Our results demonstrate that environmentally relevant concentrations of aquatic contaminants can, even at sublethal levels, severely undermine the fitness of exposed organisms...
- Understanding chromate reaction kinetics with corroding iron media using Tafel analysis and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Environ Sci Technol 36:5476-82. 2002
..This study shows that the zero order removal kinetics of Cr(VI) by iron media can be explained by anodic control of iron corrosion and the concomitant anodic control of Cr(VI) reduction...
- Impact and application of electron shuttles on the redox (bio)transformation of contaminants: a review
Frank P van der Zee
IBB Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centre of Biological Engineering, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Biotechnol Adv 27:256-77. 2009
- A comparative study of the pollution status of Sakumo II and Muni lagoons in Ghana
CSIR Water Research Institute, Achimota, Accra, Ghana
Water Sci Technol 62:1067-75. 2010
..Using water quality index (WQI), Sakumo II was found to be grossly polluted and requires mitigation measures, while, Muni Lagoon was of fairly good quality and requires monitoring...
- Field evaluations of marine oil spill bioremediation
R P Swannell
National Environmental Technology Centre, AEA Technology, Didcot, United Kingdom
Microbiol Rev 60:342-65. 1996
..On the basis of the available evidence, we have proposed preliminary operational guidelines for bioremediation on shoreline environments...
- Pre-treatment of penicillin formulation effluent by advanced oxidation processes
Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, 34469 Maslak, Istanbul, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 112:105-13. 2004
- The investigation of parameters affecting boron removal by electrocoagulation method
A Erdem Yilmaz
Department of Environmental Engineering, Ataturk University, Faculty of Engineering, Erzurum, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 125:160-5. 2005
..The results showed to have a high effectiveness of the electrocoagulation method in removing boron from aqueous solutions...
- Phototransformation of nitrobenzene in the Songhua River: kinetics and photoproduct analysis
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085, China
J Environ Sci (China) 20:787-95. 2008
..Three isomeric nitrophenols, o-, m-, and p-nitrophenols, as well as phenol were detected as the main organic products in natural water under natural and simulated solar irradiations...
- Long-term monitoring (1960-2008) of the river-sediment transport in the Red River Watershed (Vietnam): temporal variability and dam-reservoir impact
Thi Ha Dang
Universite de Bordeaux, UMR CNRS 5805 EPOC, Avenue des Facultes, 33405 Talence, France
Sci Total Environ 408:4654-64. 2010
..This suggests that the HoaBinh dam reduces annual SPM delivery to the delta by half, implying important metal/metalloid storage behind the HoaBinh dam...
- Prior exposure to Cu contamination influences the outcome of toxicological testing of Fucus serratus embryos
Hanne D Nielsen
Department of Life Sciences and Chemistry, Roskilde University, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Mar Pollut Bull 50:1675-80. 2005
..We conclude that the effect of prior exposure should be considered when comparing endpoints between studies and when selecting material for future testing...
- Air-sea gas exchange of HCHs and PCBs and enantiomers of alpha-HCH in the Kattegat Sea region
Kristina L Sundqvist
Department of Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Umea University, SE 901 87, Umea, Sweden
Environ Pollut 128:73-83. 2004
..The air and water enantiomeric compositions of alpha-HCH indicated that a larger portion of alpha-HCH in air originated from the underlying water during summer than during winter...
- Evaluation of solid phase microextraction for the analysis of hydrophilic compounds
J A Shoemaker
U S Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory, Cincinnati, Ohio 45268, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 9:181-91. 1999
..10 to 15 micrograms/l) than the polyacrylate fiber (1.5 to 80 micrograms/l). The MDLs of the carboxen/PDMS fiber demonstrate that SPME is a feasible approach for extracting hydrophilic compounds from drinking water...
- Inducibility of the P-glycoprotein transport activity in the marine mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis and the freshwater mussel Dreissena polymorpha
Department for Marine and Environmental Research, Laboratory for Molecular Ecotoxicology, Rudjer Boskovic Institute, PO Box 180, Bijenicka 54, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Aquat Toxicol 65:443-65. 2003
..Based on the data from this study several factors that may have had critical influence on the effectiveness and the level of MXR induction are additionally discussed...
- In situ assessment of microbial sulfate reduction in a petroleum-contaminated aquifer using push-pull tests and stable sulfur isotope analyses
M H Schroth
Institute of Terrestrial Ecology Soil Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich ETHZ, Grabenstrasse 3, CH 8952 Schlieren, Switzerland
J Contam Hydrol 51:179-95. 2001
..Thus, push-pull tests combined with stable sulfur isotope analyses proved useful for the in situ quantification of microbial sulfate reduction in a PHC-contaminated aquifer...
- Mineralization of integrated gasification combined-cycle power-station wastewater effluent by a photo-Fenton process
Department of Chemical Engineering, Grupo IMAES Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Industriales, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Avda Camilo José Cela 3, 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
J Environ Manage 91:1840-6. 2010
..Air flow slightly improved the mineralization rate due to the formation of peroxo-organic radicals which enhanced the oxidation process...