Genomes and Genes
Summary: Maleness or femaleness as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from SEX CHARACTERISTICS, anatomical or physiological manifestations of sex, and from SEX DISTRIBUTION, the number of males and females in given circumstances.
Publications304 found, 100 shown here
- Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndromeB Isomaa
Department of Internal Medicine, Jakobstad Hospital, Finland
Diabetes Care 24:683-9. 2001..To estimate the prevalence of and the cardiovascular risk associated with the metabolic syndrome using the new definition proposed by the World Health Organization..
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international surveyT J Cole
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH
BMJ 320:1240-3. 2000..To develop an internationally acceptable definition of child overweight and obesity, specifying the measurement, the reference population, and the age and sex specific cut off points...
- Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the Framingham Heart StudyCaroline S Fox
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Mass, USA
Circulation 116:39-48. 2007..The incremental utility of measuring both visceral and subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue (SAT) in association with metabolic risk factors and underlying heritability has not been well described in a population-based setting...
- Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderlyJennifer L Wolff
Department of Health Policy and Management, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Room 304, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:2269-76. 2002..The prevalence, health care expenditures, and hospitalization experiences are important considerations among elderly populations with multiple chronic conditions...
- Childhood body-mass index and the risk of coronary heart disease in adulthoodJennifer L Baker
Institute of Preventive Medicine, Center for Health and Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 357:2329-37. 2007..Risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD) are already identifiable in overweight children. The severity of the long-term effects of excess childhood weight on CHD, however, remains unknown...
- Health consequences of obesityJ J Reilly
University of Glasgow Division of Developmental Medicine, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill, Glasgow G3 8SJ, UK
Arch Dis Child 88:748-52. 2003..The aim of the present review was therefore to provide a critically appraised, evidence based, summary of the consequences of childhood obesity in the short term (for the child) and longer term (in adulthood)...
- Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity from ages 9 to 15 yearsPhilip R Nader
Department of Pediatrics, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0927, USA
JAMA 300:295-305. 2008..Although at least 60 minutes per day of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) is recommended, few longitudinal studies have determined the recent patterns of physical activity of youth...
- Associations of depression with C-reactive protein, IL-1, and IL-6: a meta-analysisM Bryant Howren
Department of Psychology, The University of Iowa, 11 Seashore Hall East, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Psychosom Med 71:171-86. 2009..To assess the magnitude and direction of associations of depression with C-reactive protein (CRP), interleukin (IL)-1, and IL-6 in community and clinical samples...
- Prevalence and development of psychiatric disorders in childhood and adolescenceE Jane Costello
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:837-44. 2003..This longitudinal community study assessed the prevalence and development of psychiatric disorders from age 9 through 16 years and examined homotypic and heterotypic continuity...
- European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: executive summary: Fourth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (Constituted by rIan Graham
Department of Cardiology, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Eur Heart J 28:2375-414. 2007
- Validity of self-reported height and weight in 4808 EPIC-Oxford participantsElizabeth A Spencer
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Gibson Building, The Radcliffe Infirmary, UK
Public Health Nutr 5:561-5. 2002....
- Multimorbidity patterns in the elderly: a new approach of disease clustering identifies complex interrelations between chronic conditionsIngmar Schafer
Department of Primary Medical Care, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e15941. 2010..The aim of this study was to increase the knowledge of specific processes of multimorbidity in an unselected elderly population by identifying patterns of statistically significantly associated comorbidity...
- A systematic review of the prevalence of schizophreniaSukanta Saha
Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research, The Park Centre for Mental Health, Wacol, Australia
PLoS Med 2:e141. 2005..The aims of this review are to systematically identify and collate studies describing the prevalence of schizophrenia, to summarize the findings of these studies, and to explore selected factors that may influence prevalence estimates...
- Physical activity change during adolescence: a systematic review and a pooled analysisSamuel C Dumith
Post Graduate Program in Epidemiology, Federal University of Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Int J Epidemiol 40:685-98. 2011..Therefore, the purpose was to systematically review the international literature regarding PA change during adolescence, and to quantify that change according to a series of study variables, exploring gender-and-age differences...
- Systematic review of depression, anxiety, and other indicators of psychological distress among U.S. and Canadian medical studentsLiselotte N Dyrbye
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55906, USA
Acad Med 81:354-73. 2006..To systematically review articles reporting on depression, anxiety, and burnout among U.S. and Canadian medical students...
- Urinary levels of seven phthalate metabolites in the U.S. population from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2000Manori J Silva
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:331-8. 2004....
- Measuring social class in US public health research: concepts, methodologies, and guidelinesN Krieger
Department of Health and Social Behavior, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 18:341-78. 1997..Suggestions for research on socioeconomic measures are provided, to aid monitoring steps toward social equity in health...
- Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and RussiaYoufa Wang
Carolina Population Center, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:971-7. 2002..Few studies have used the same references across countries to examine the trends of over- and underweight in older children and adolescents...
- Gender differences in health: a Canadian study of the psychosocial, structural and behavioural determinants of healthMargaret Denton
McMaster University, W Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Soc Sci Med 58:2585-600. 2004..Our findings suggest the value of models that include a wide range of health and health-determinant variables, and affirm the importance of looking more closely at gender differences in health...
- The prevalence of pain and pain interference in a general population of older adults: cross-sectional findings from the North Staffordshire Osteoarthritis Project (NorStOP)Elaine Thomas
Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Keele, North Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, UK
Pain 110:361-8. 2004..More importantly the extent to which pain interferes with everyday life increases incrementally with age up to the oldest age-group in the community-dwelling general population...
- Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference for risk factors of certain related diseases in Chinese adults--study on optimal cut-off points of body mass index and waist circumference in Chinese adultsBei fan Zhou
Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
Biomed Environ Sci 15:83-96. 2002..g., high diabetes, diabetes mellitus, and lipoprotein disorders)...
- Gender differences in the metabolic syndrome and their role for cardiovascular diseaseV Regitz-Zagrosek
Center for Gender in Medicine and Cardiovascular Disease in Women, Charite and Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 95:136-47. 2006....
- Is there hardening of the heart during medical school?Bruce W Newton
College of Medicine, Academic Affairs, 603, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham St, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Acad Med 83:244-9. 2008....
- Prevalence, co-morbidity and correlates of mental disorders in the general population: results from the German Health Interview and Examination Survey (GHS)F Jacobi
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Unit Epidemiology and Service Research, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
Psychol Med 34:597-611. 2004..This paper reports results from its Mental Health Supplement (GHS-MHS) on 4-week 12-month, and selected lifetime prevalence of a broad range of DSM-IV mental disorders, their co-morbidity and correlates in the community...
- Validity of body mass index compared with other body-composition screening indexes for the assessment of body fatness in children and adolescentsZuguo Mei
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:978-85. 2002..Validation studies of height- and weight-based indexes of body fatness in children and adolescents have examined only small samples of school-age children...
- The utilization of testing and counseling for HIV: a review of the social and behavioral evidenceCarla Makhlouf Obermeyer
Department of HIV, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Public Health 97:1762-74. 2007..We demonstrate that social factors have a considerable impact on testing, show that the services linked to testing are key determinants of utilization, and consider the implications of these findings for HIV testing programs...
- State of disparities in cardiovascular health in the United StatesGeorge A Mensah
Office of the Director, Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control, Mail Stop K 40, 4770 Buford Hwy NE, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Circulation 111:1233-41. 2005..Having timely access to current data on disparities is important for policy and program development. Accordingly, we assessed the current magnitude of disparities in cardiovascular disease (CVD) and its risk factors in the United States...
- Health-related quality of life in total hip and total knee arthroplasty. A qualitative and systematic review of the literatureOlivier Ethgen
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Diseases, Department of Public Health, Epidemiology, and Health Economics, University of Liege, Belgium, Liege, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:963-74. 2004..The objective of this study was to review the literature regarding the outcomes of total hip and knee arthroplasties as evaluated by health-related quality-of-life instruments...
- Sex differences in the developmental origins of hypertension and cardiorenal diseaseJeffrey S Gilbert
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Minnesota Medical School Duluth, Duluth, MN 55812, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1941-52. 2008....
- The association between glucometabolic disturbances, traditional cardiovascular risk factors and self-rated health by age and gender: a cross-sectional analysis within the Malmö Preventive ProjectMargret Leosdottir
Department of Cardiology, Skane University Hospital, and Heart Health Group Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:118. 2011..Whether this age-related reduction applies to CVD risk factors, and whether it is limited to established diabetes mellitus (DM) or also applies to pre-diabetic conditions are not well known...
- Adding social deprivation and family history to cardiovascular risk assessment: the ASSIGN score from the Scottish Heart Health Extended Cohort (SHHEC)Mark Woodward
Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Cardiovascular Research, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Heart 93:172-6. 2007..To improve equity in cardiovascular disease prevention by developing a cardiovascular risk score including social deprivation and family history...
- The challenge of comprehensively mapping children's health in a nation-wide health survey: design of the German KiGGS-StudyBärbel Maria Kurth
Department of Epidemiology and Health Reporting, Robert Koch Institute, Seestrasse 10, 13353 Berlin, Germany
BMC Public Health 8:196. 2008..Aim of this first nationwide interview and examination survey was to collect comprehensive data on the health status of children and adolescents aged 0 to 17 years...
- Development of depression from preadolescence to young adulthood: emerging gender differences in a 10-year longitudinal studyB L Hankin
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 107:128-40. 1998....
- Sarcopenia: alternative definitions and associations with lower extremity functionAnne B Newman
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1602-9. 2003....
- Sedentary behavior, physical activity, and the metabolic syndrome among U.S. adultsEarl S Ford
Division of Adult and Community Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Obes Res 13:608-14. 2005..We examined the associations among physical activity, sedentary behavior, and metabolic syndrome in a representative sample of U.S. adults...
- Factors associated with success in medical school: systematic review of the literatureEamonn Ferguson
School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
BMJ 324:952-7. 2002
- Sex differences in HPA axis responses to stress: a reviewBrigitte M Kudielka
Department of Clinical and Theoretical Psychobiology, University of Trier, Johanniterufer 15, D 54290 Trier, Germany
Biol Psychol 69:113-32. 2005
- Discrimination and racial disparities in health: evidence and needed researchDavid R Williams
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Behav Med 32:20-47. 2009....
- Association of depressive disorders, depression characteristics and antidepressant medication with inflammationN Vogelzangs
Department of Psychiatry and EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Transl Psychiatry 2:e79. 2012..In conclusion, elevated inflammation was confirmed in depressed men, especially those with a late-onset depression. Specific antidepressants may differ in their effects on inflammation...
- Predicting the 30-year risk of cardiovascular disease: the framingham heart studyMichael J Pencina
Department of Biostatistics, Boston University, 111 Cummington St, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Circulation 119:3078-84. 2009..Clustering of risk factors at younger ages and increasing life expectancy suggest the need for longer-term risk prediction tools...
- Systematic review of school-based interventions that focus on changing dietary intake and physical activity levels to prevent childhood obesity: an update to the obesity guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical ExcellenceT Brown
School of Health and Social Care, University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK
Obes Rev 10:110-41. 2009..Physical activity interventions, particularly in girls in primary schools, may help to prevent these children from becoming overweight in the short term...
- Sex differences in the clinical manifestations of Alzheimer disease pathologyLisa L Barnes
Rush Alzheimer s Disease Center, Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:685-91. 2005....
- Excess mortality following hip fracture: a systematic epidemiological reviewB Abrahamsen
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte, Niels Andersensvej 65, 2900, Hellerup, Denmark
Osteoporos Int 20:1633-50. 2009....
- Association of pericardial fat, intrathoracic fat, and visceral abdominal fat with cardiovascular disease burden: the Framingham Heart StudyAmir A Mahabadi
Cardiac MR PET CT Program, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 165 Charles River Plaza, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Eur Heart J 30:850-6. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess whether pericardial fat, intrathoracic fat, and visceral abdominal adipose tissue (VAT) are associated with the prevalence of cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Increasing incidence of differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States, 1988-2005Amy Y Chen
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cancer 115:3801-7. 2009..The objective of the current study was to investigate the trends in increasing incidence of differentiated (papillary and follicular) thyroid cancer by size, age, race, and sex...
- Overweight, obesity, and health-related quality of life among adolescents: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent HealthKaren C Swallen
Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Pediatrics 115:340-7. 2005..We investigated the association between obesity and health-related quality of life in a nationally representative sample of adolescents...
- Sex, age, cardiovascular risk factors, and coronary heart disease: a prospective follow-up study of 14 786 middle-aged men and women in FinlandP Jousilahti
National Public Health Institute, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Helsinki, Finland
Circulation 99:1165-72. 1999..In both sexes, CHD risk increases with age, but the increase is sharper in women. We analyzed the extent to which major cardiovascular risk factors can explain the sex difference and the age-related increase in CHD risk...
- Depression and obesityAlbert J Stunkard
Weight and Eating Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:330-7. 2003....
- A structured approach to modelling the effects of binary exposure variables over the life courseGita Mishra
MRC Unit for Lifelong Health and Ageing, University College and Royal Free Medical School, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 38:528-37. 2009..This article highlights potential issues in the interpretation of results obtained from such an approach...
- The validity of obesity based on self-reported weight and height: Implications for population studiesMaria Nyholm
Skaraborg Institute, Skovde, Sweden
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:197-208. 2007..To validate self-reported information on weight and height in an adult population and to find a useful algorithm to assess the prevalence of obesity based on self-reported information...
- Influences of age and gender on results of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement--a survey of 12517 subjectsHirofumi Tomiyama
The Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1 Nishi shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 0023, Japan
Atherosclerosis 166:303-9. 2003..Thus, aging influences baPWV, and its effect is more prominent in female. Menopause seems to be the crucial phenomenon to explain the augmented increase in arterial stiffness with aging in females...
- [Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference to risk factors of related diseases in Chinese adult population]Beifan Zhou
Department of Epidemiology, Fu Wai Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 23:5-10. 2002....
- Sex differences in parasite infections: patterns and processesM Zuk
Department of Biology, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
Int J Parasitol 26:1009-23. 1996..Whether these evolutionary generalizations apply to invertebrates, which lack testosterone, remains to be seen...
- Self-reported health status of the general adult U.S. population as assessed by the EQ-5D and Health Utilities IndexNan Luo
QualityMetric Incorporated, Lincoln, RI, USA
Med Care 43:1078-86. 2005..This study aimed to describe the self-reported health status of the general adult U.S. population using 3 multi-attribute preference-based measures: the EQ-5D, Health Utilities Index Mark 2 (HUI2), and Mark 3 (HUI3)...
- The emergence of cardiovascular disease during urbanisation of AfricansH H Vorster
Faculty of Health Sciences, Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir Christelike Hoër Onderwys, South Africa
Public Health Nutr 5:239-43. 2002....
- Stress and depression among medical students: a cross-sectional studyMarie Dahlin
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section Psychiatry, St Göran, Stockholm, Sweden
Med Educ 39:594-604. 2005..To assess the exposure to different stressors and the prevalence of depression among medical students at different levels of education, taking gender differences into account...
- Coronary heart disease in ChinaX H Zhang
Department of Community and Family Medicine, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Heart 94:1126-31. 2008..The studies provide important information for the prevention and management of chronic CHD and acute myocardial infarction in the Chinese population...
- Sex differences in intimate relationshipsVasyl Palchykov
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science BECS, Aalto University School of Science, P O Box 12200, FI 00076, Finland
Sci Rep 2:370. 2012..These results suggest that human social strategies may have more complex dynamics than previously assumed and a life-history perspective is crucial for understanding them...
- Women's health, men's health, and gender and health: implications of intersectionalityOlena Hankivsky
Simon Fraser University at Harbour Centre, School of Public Policy and Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy, 515 West Hastings Street, Suite 3271, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 5K3, Canada
Soc Sci Med 74:1712-20. 2012....
- Phthalate exposure and pulmonary functionJane A Hoppin
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health DHHS, PO Box 12233, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2233, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:571-4. 2004..Our results suggest that MBP and MEP, but not MEHP, may influence pulmonary function among adult males...
- Meta-analysis of statin effects in women versus menWilliam J Kostis
Cardiology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 59:572-82. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of statins in decreasing cardiovascular events in women and men...
- Impact of gender, menstrual cycle phase, and oral contraceptives on the activity of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axisC Kirschbaum
Center for Psychobiological and Psychosomatic Research, University of Trier, Germany
Psychosom Med 61:154-62. 1999..The aim of the present study was to investigate sex-specific HPA response patterns with a focus on the contribution of gonadal steroids as possible mediators...
- Sex differences in autism spectrum disorder: evidence from a large sample of children and adolescentsWilliam Mandy
Research Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1N 6BT, UK
J Autism Dev Disord 42:1304-13. 2012..The female phenotype we describe was stable across our sample's age range. Their milder RSBs and less severe difficulties at school may lead to under-recognition of ASD in females...
- Excess mortality in depression: a meta-analysis of community studiesPim Cuijpers
Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Trimbos Institute, PO Box 725, 3500 AS, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 72:227-36. 2002..Furthermore, it has been hypothesized that mortality rates in depressed men are higher than in depressed women. Finally, it is not clear if the increased mortality rates exist only in major depression or also in subclinical depression...
- A comprehensive view of sex-specific issues related to cardiovascular diseaseLouise Pilote
Division of Internal Medicine, The McGill University Health Centre Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 176:S1-44. 2007..However, the interaction between sex-and gender-related factors and CVD outcomes in women remains largely unknown...
- Prevalence, correlates, disability, and comorbidity of DSM-IV drug abuse and dependence in the United States: results from the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditionsWilson M Compton
Division of Epidemiology, Services, and Prevention Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 9304, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:566-76. 2007..Current and comprehensive information on the epidemiology of DSM-IV 12-month and lifetime drug use disorders in the United States has not been available...
- Breakfast skipping and health-compromising behaviors in adolescents and adultsA Keski-Rahkonen
Department of Public Health, PO Box 41, University of Helsinki, Helsinki 00014, Finland
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:842-53. 2003..To investigate which sociodemographic factors and behaviors are associated with breakfast skipping in adolescents and adults...
- Body mass index in the evaluation of thyroid cancer riskTamara Mijovic
McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thyroid 19:467-72. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the impact of body mass index (BMI) on thyroid cancer risk in a population of patients with indeterminate cytology on fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB)...
- Sex-specific association of X-linked Toll-like receptor 7 (TLR7) with male systemic lupus erythematosusNan Shen
Shanghai Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15838-43. 2010..7-fold higher transcripts of G-allele than C-allele. These data established a functional polymorphism in type I IFN pathway gene TLR7 predisposing to SLE, especially in Chinese and Japanese male subjects...
- Progression of carotid artery intima-media thickness during 12 years in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) studyJoseph F Polak
Tufts Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 60:607-13. 2011..This study investigated the long-term effects of intensive diabetic treatment on the progression of atherosclerosis, measured as common carotid artery intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Statistical methods for the time-to-event analysis of individual participant data from multiple epidemiological studiesSimon Thompson
MRC Biostatistics Unit, Institute of Public Health, Cambridge, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:1345-59. 2010..Meta-analysis of individual participant time-to-event data from multiple prospective epidemiological studies enables detailed investigation of exposure-risk relationships, but involves a number of analytical challenges...
- Variations in patients' adherence to medical recommendations: a quantitative review of 50 years of researchM Robin Dimatteo
Department of Psychology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Med Care 42:200-9. 2004..The literature on patient adherence to treatment includes hundreds of empirical studies. A comprehensive examination of the findings requires the organization and quantification that is possible with meta-analysis...
- Diet, physical activity, and sedentary behaviors as risk factors for overweight in adolescenceKevin Patrick
University of California, San Diego, San Diego State University, and Kaiser Permanente Medical Group, San Diego, CA 92093 0811, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:385-90. 2004..The proportion of overweight adolescents has increased, but the behavioral risk factors for overweight youth are not well understood...
- Cross-national patterns of gender differences in mathematics: a meta-analysisNicole M Else-Quest
Villanova University, Department of Psychology, 800 Lancaster Avenue, Villanova, PA 19085, USA
Psychol Bull 136:103-27. 2010..Results are situated within the context of existing research demonstrating apparently paradoxical effects of societal gender equity and highlight the significance of increasing girls' and women's agency cross-nationally...
- Measurement of empathy among Japanese medical students: psychometrics and score differences by gender and level of medical educationHitomi U Kataoka
Center for Developing Medical and Health Care Education, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Acad Med 84:1192-7. 2009..To examine psychometric properties of a Japanese translation of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy (JSPE), and to study differences in empathy scores between men and women, and students in different years of medical school...
- Early active follow-up of patients on antiretroviral therapy (ART) who are lost to follow-up: the 'Back-to-Care' project in Lilongwe, MalawiHannock Tweya
The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Trop Med Int Health 15:82-9. 2010..To determine the proportion of patients returning to antiretroviral treatment (ART) and factors associated with their return in a resource-limited setting...
- The ABCs of depression: integrating affective, biological, and cognitive models to explain the emergence of the gender difference in depressionJanet Shibley Hyde
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Psychol Rev 115:291-313. 2008....
- Telomere length as an indicator of biological aging: the gender effect and relation with pulse pressure and pulse wave velocityA Benetos
Center Investigations Preventives et Cliniques, INSERM U337, Paris, France
Hypertension 37:381-5. 2001..The longer telomere length in women suggests that for a given chronological age, biological aging of men is more advanced than that of women...
- The epidemiology of neck painD G Hoy
University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Herston Rd, Herston, QLD 4006, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 24:783-92. 2010..The Global Burden of Disease 2005 Study is currently making estimates of the global burden of neck pain in relation to impairment and activity limitation, and results will be available in 2011...
- Obesity, regional body fat distribution, and the metabolic syndrome in older men and womenBret H Goodpaster
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:777-83. 2005..We determined whether patterns of regional fat deposition are associated with metabolic syndrome in older adults...
- The prevalence of stunting, overweight and obesity, and metabolic disease risk in rural South African childrenElizabeth W Kimani-Murage
MRC Wits Rural Public Health and Health Transitions Research Unit Agincourt, School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
BMC Public Health 10:158. 2010..This study aimed to investigate the prevalence and patterns of stunting and overweight/obesity, and hence risk for metabolic disease, in a group of children and adolescents in rural South Africa...
- Season, sex, age, and education as modifiers of the effects of outdoor air pollution on daily mortality in Shanghai, China: The Public Health and Air Pollution in Asia (PAPA) StudyHaidong Kan
Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Environ Health Perspect 116:1183-8. 2008..Various factors can modify the health effects of outdoor air pollution. Prior findings about modifiers are inconsistent, and most of these studies were conducted in developed countries...
- The prevalence and etiology of elevated aminotransferase levels in the United StatesJeanne M Clark
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:960-7. 2003..Unexplained aminotransferase elevation was strongly associated with adiposity and other features of the metabolic syndrome, and thus may represent nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- The advantage of women in cancer survival: an analysis of EUROCARE-4 dataA Micheli
Descriptive Epidemiology and Health Planning Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 45:1017-27. 2009....
- Is obesity associated with early sexual maturation? A comparison of the association in American boys versus girlsYoufa Wang
Department of Human Nutrition and Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Pediatrics 110:903-10. 2002..Earlier maturing girls are more likely to be obese than nonearly maturers. However, limited research has been conducted in boys...
- Insights from the NHLBI-Sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE) Study: Part I: gender differences in traditional and novel risk factors, symptom evaluation, and gender-optimized diagnostic strategiesLeslee J Shaw
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:S4-S20. 2006....
- Comparison of the associations of body mass index and measures of central adiposity and fat mass with coronary heart disease, diabetes, and all-cause mortality: a study using data from 4 UK cohortsAmy E Taylor
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 91:547-56. 2010..Measures of regional adiposity have been proposed as alternatives to the measurement of body mass index (BMI) for identifying persons at risk of future disease...
- Translating physical activity recommendations into a pedometer-based step goal: 3000 steps in 30 minutesSimon J Marshall
School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 7251, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:410-5. 2009..Translating current physical activity recommendations into a pedometer-based guideline could increase the public health impact of physical activity interventions...
- Sex differences in the relationship between social support and risk for major depression: a longitudinal study of opposite-sex twin pairsKenneth S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:250-6. 2005..Prior studies have suggested that women are more sensitive to the depressogenic effects of low social support, but most of these studies had substantial methodologic limitations...
- Uptake of HIV voluntary counselling and testing services in rural Tanzania: implications for effective HIV prevention and equitable access to treatmentAlison Wringe
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 13:319-27. 2008..To describe the associations between socio-demographic, behavioural and clinical characteristics and the use of HIV voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services among residents in a rural ward in Tanzania...
- A nearly continuous measure of birth weight for gestational age using a United States national referenceEmily Oken
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, USA
BMC Pediatr 3:6. 2003..The purpose of our analysis was to create more continuous reference measures of birth weight for gestational age for use in epidemiologic analyses...
- Sex-specific differences in metabolic control, cardiovascular risk, and interventions in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusAlexandra Kautzky-Willer
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Gend Med 7:571-83. 2010..Sex-specific differences appear particularly relevant in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), with women experiencing greater increases in cardiovascular morbidity and mortality than do men...
- Marriage and health: his and hersJ K Kiecolt-Glaser
Department of Psychiatry, Ohio State University College of Medicine, 1670 Upham Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Psychol Bull 127:472-503. 2001..Contemporary models of gender that emphasize self-processes, traits, and roles furnish alternative perspectives on the differential costs and benefits of marriage for men's and women's health...
- Self-rated health is related to levels of circulating cytokinesMats Lekander
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Psychology, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Psychosom Med 66:559-63. 2004....
- Advances in our understanding of mammalian sex-biased dispersalL J Lawson Handley
Theoretical and Molecular Population Genetics Group, Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
Mol Ecol 16:1559-78. 2007....
- Incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus among white Americans by sex, stage, and ageLinda Morris Brown
Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1184-7. 2008..74 per 100,000 person-years (95% CI = 0.67 to 0.81), over the same time period. Adenocarcinoma rates rose among white men and women in all stage and age groups, indicating that these increases are real and not an artifact of surveillance...
- Aging and arterial stiffnessHae Young Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Circ J 74:2257-62. 2010..Various strategies, especially controlling hypertension, show benefit in preventing, delaying or attenuating vascular aging...
- Food group intake and central obesity among children and adolescents in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)M Loring Bradlee
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Public Health Nutr 13:797-805. 2010..To explore mean food group intakes associated with central obesity anthropometry among children and adolescents enrolled in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)...
- Facial structure is a reliable cue of aggressive behaviorJustin M Carré
Department of Psychology, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Psychol Sci 20:1194-8. 2009..These findings suggest that the facial width-to-height ratio may be a cue used to predict propensity for aggression in others...
- Gender-related differences in the prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors and their correlates in urban TanzaniaMarina A Njelekela
Department of Physiology, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, PO Box 65001, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:30. 2009..Results of this study will help inform future research and potential preventive and therapeutic interventions against such chronic diseases...
- Pediatric reference data for lean tissue properties: density and hydration from age 5 to 20 yJonathan C K Wells
Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 91:610-8. 2010..The accuracy of these techniques depends on the validity of age- and sex-specific constant values for lean tissue hydration or density. Empirical data on these constants, and their variability between individuals, are lacking...
Research Grants101 found, 100 shown here
- A genomic analysis of doublesex function in sex determinationERIN ALISA JIMENEZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..sexual dimorphism are diverse throughout the animal kingdom, such as cell autonomous splicing of specific sex factors in flies and hormonal secretion by gonads in humans, but converge upon a family of conserved genes, Dmrt's ..
- Identification of a gender-specific rat arthritis locusPercio Gulko; Fiscal Year: 2005..The identification of these sex-specific genes, and the sex factors regulating their penetrance will be of great relevance to the understanding of the factors accounting for the ..
- THE AGING GH AXIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2005..An enhanced knowledge base should aid ultimately in formulating more innovative preventive and interventional strategies to limit hyposomatotropism in older and/or estrogen-deficient humans. ..
- Analytical Reconstruction of Feedback Signaling in Aging MenJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2008..The present proposal develops a general biomathematical framework for dissecting otherwise observed pathways that control hormone output in aging, stress and disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENSEMBLE MODEL OF STRESS ACTH-ADRENAL AXISJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ACTIONS OF ESTROGEN IN MATURING GRAAFIAN FOLLICLESJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding such fundamental interactions is important to the rational design of alternative strategies to interrupt normal and rescue impaired steroidogenesis in the maturing Graafian follicle and corpus luteum. ..
- Novel Active Repressor Model of Human LDL-Receptor RegulationJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2008..This would represent a new treatment approach for patients with atherosclerotic disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ensemble Disruption of the GnRH-LH-Testosterone AxisJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2007..Expected corollary outcomes are enhanced diagnosis, assessment and management of more subtle pathophysiology of the male gonadal axis in puberty and adulthood. ..
- Mechanistic bases for age-related androgen deficiencyJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2007..Knowing why testosterone falls should help foster new and safer ways to prevent the problem. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epidemiology of Prescription Drug Abuse in the United StatesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will help identify risk factors for substance abuse. Most importantly, the findings will provide guidance for the prevention, assessment, and treatment of prescription drug abuse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Informal Care of Older Adults and Medicare ExpendituresCOURTNEY VAN HOUTVEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ADJUNCT VITAMIN A THERAPY FOR TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV/AIDSRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Inhalant Use/Dependence: Incidence and ComorbidityLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Gaps in our knowledge of the natural course of inhalant use will be specified for future research. ..
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mechanical Intervention in Children with Cerebral PalsyTishya Wren; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will also provide insight into the potential role of muscle adaptation and bone turnover in increasing bone mass in response to this simple, non-invasive, non-pharmacalogical intervention. ..
- Chronic stressors and drug abuse in 2 Indian populationsJanette Beals; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed work promises to provide the most comprehensive and focused investigation to date of chronic stressors within Al populations and of the relationship of various stressors with drug use and disorder. ..
- ASIAN IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY INSTITUTIONS IN NYC AND HIVJohn Chin; Fiscal Year: 2004..A "grounded theory" approach will be used to analyze the data. ..
- HIV-Related Proteinuria and Endothelial DysfunctionSamir Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dub6) in the fields of HIV metabolic and renal complications, renal vascular and glomerular pathology, and clinical trials design and implementation. ..
- Prenatal NSAID Use and MiscarriageDe Kun Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Work injury and young people: A prospective surveyF Breslin; Fiscal Year: 2005..No study to date has examined the impact of work injuries on earnings losses among young workers, thereby addressing a notable gap in this research area. ..
- EPIGENETICS X-LINKED GENES IN PBC: DOES X MARK THE SPOT?Carlo Selmi; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Computerized Adaptive Testing Version of the ASIStephen Butler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The availability of this new tool should enhance the quality and reduce the cost of research and treatment in the substance abuse area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ethnicity, Alcohol, and Spousal ViolenceRaul Caetano; Fiscal Year: 2008..collecting data from both couple members. ..
- Visual Impairment, Treatment and Effects on the ElderlyFrank Sloan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Ten papers are anticipated for this four-year study. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Epidemiology and Genetics of Hip OA in Elderly MenNancy Lane; Fiscal Year: 2009..After determining the prevalence of hip OA in the Mr. OS cohort we will perform case-control studies of candidate genes associated with bone and cartilage metabolism. ..
- Endogenous/Exogenous Sex Hormones & CHD Risk FactorsElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2003..These observations may aid in deciding whether individual women should use HRT and, if so, which regimen would provide the most benefit with the least risk. ..
- VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HIV INFECTED CHILDRENRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EFFECTS OF AGE ON SIGNALING IN HUMAN OSTEOBLASTOGENESISJulie Glowacki; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN OSTEOPOROSISElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Effect of Aging & Vitamin D Status on OsteoblastogenesisJulie Glowacki; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- KALLIKREINS AS DIAGNOSTIC MARKERS OF OVARIAN CARCINOMAEleftherios Diamandis; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prenatal MF Exposure & Miscarriage Risk Among WomenDe Kun Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings from the proposed study will provide much needed confirmation of the recently reported results and advance our understanding of a MF health effect. ..
- Economic Analysis of the Impact of Food AdvertisementsJohn Cawley; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together these data allow us to calculate a precise measure of the advertisements to which each youth was exposed. This will allow us to better estimate how food advertising impacts youth consumption. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study should provide new insight into the epidemiology and biological mechanisms of anemia among older adults and help identify strategies aimed at the prevention and treatment of anemia. ..
- Deep South CanCORS Colorectal and Lung Cancer PDCR SiteMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, we have available highly experienced staff and an advanced infrastructure to support all aspects of the recruitment, follow-up, and data collection and management activities required for CanCORS. ..
- Developmental Neuroendocrine Effects of PCBs and PBDEs: Parallels with ADHDRICHARD FIELD SEEGAL; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Small Grant Program for Conference Support (R13)Nancy Lane; Fiscal Year: 2007..To review the issues they need to address to fully develop their submissions, if participants have not yet submitted proposals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TESTING A MODEL OF RISK REDUCTION FOR HIV POSITIVE WOMENGail Wyatt; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Longitudinal Study of Exposure to Family ViolenceTodd I Herrenkohl; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal involves a cross-site collaboration between two very qualified, highly productive research teams with extensive experience and considerable investment in this study. ..
- Family Strengths in Preventing Adolescent Drug UseBrenda Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assessing & Improving the Measurement of Sexual BehaviorBarbara Mensch; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Determinants and Consequences of Alcohol ConsumptionFrank Sloan; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Partner Violence Norms and HIV Risk-Taking Among Youth in Sub-Saharan AfricaIlene Speizer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information from this study can be used to make recommendations on strategies to reduce youth violence risk with the underlying objective of strengthening HIV prevention programs for youth. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Psychosocial Res. to Improve Drug Treatment in PregnancyKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Signal Detection for Prescription Opioid OutbreaksStephen Butler; Fiscal Year: 2008..This system should be perceived by stakeholders as highly valuable. Thus, we believe this product has enormous commercial viability and public health importance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Young Investigators Initiative Workshop (U13)Nancy Lane; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Salsalate: A Diabetes Treatment for Carbonyl, Oxidative & Nitrosative StressJOSHUA ISRAEL BARZILAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..If effective, this treatment could reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes that frequently occur in people with diabetes. ..
- Impact of Fiber Fermentation on Fecal IncontinenceDonna Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2007..Differences among the measures of the groups after supplementation will be compared after controlling for baseline values of these measures using ANCOVA. ..
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..The in vitro model, if validated, has the potential to provide clinically important information on interactions involving HIV treatments and abusable drugs, at relatively low cost and with no human drug exposure. ..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings from this research will have important implications for the understanding of the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of prescription drug abuse. ..
- CARDIOVASCULAR NUTRITION IN MEDICAL EDUCATIONScott Grundy; Fiscal Year: 2002..The long term goal is to produce graduates who routinely address nutrition and exercise for cardiovascular health with their patients. ..
- INDEPENDENT SCIENTIST AWARDAdaora Adimora; Fiscal Year: 2005..Her training and experience have equipped her with uncommon insight into this problem. The K02 award will facilitate her accomplishing this career goal. ..
- Health Disparity in Obesity and DiabetesMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conference will feature both didactic lectures and interactive presentations on possible reasons for health disparities. ..
- TISSUE ENGINEERING OF GROWING JOINTSJulie Glowacki; Fiscal Year: 2002..In vivo fate of engineered joints will be assessed in our model of murine joint transplantation and will be further verified in the pig. ..
- PHARMACOTHERAPY OF HIGH-RISK BIPOLAR DISORDERMaria Oquendo; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) Lithium treatment will be superior to valproate in decreasing aggression. ..
- Metabolic Consequences of HAART: CYP3A and P-gpDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..This multidisciplinary proposal provides a clinical and scientific basis to assess the effects of currently available as well as experimental HAART medications on human CYP3A and P-gp. ..
- Ethnicity, Parenting, and Adolescent AdjustmentLISA CROCKETT; Fiscal Year: 2003..In Phase 3, structural models that relate ecological variables to parenting practices and to adolescent psychosocial adjustment will be tested within and across ethnic/racial groups and subgroups. ..
- Genetic Aspects of Vestibular DysfunctionStephen Roth; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed project will generate important pilot data related to the genetics of vestibular dysfunction, thus fitting within the R21 grant mechanism. ..
- Drug use and health disparities in 2 Indian populationsJanette Beals; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MDR1 and Related Proteins during HIV PI ExposureDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will be of importance in understanding lipid disorders related to PIs as well as the kinetics of drugs used to treat HIV and related disorders. ..
- Treating PMS/PMDD--Research versus Clinical RealityKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- PRIVATE AND SOCIAL COST OF SMOKINGFrank Sloan; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will examine implications of our empirical analysis for tort claims brought against tobacco companies and the evolution of legal theories underlying tobacco tort litigation in a law review article. ..
- CYP3A Function in Aging AfricanAmericansDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study should provide important mechanistic information on the role of age, gender, and ethnicity as sources of variability in CYP3A-mediated drug metabolism and response. ..
- Morphometric Analysis of the Superior Temporal GyrusJOHN RATNANATHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ASI-MV.net: A Prescription Medication Monitoring ToolStephen Butler; Fiscal Year: 2006..Phase II will fully develop the ASI-MV.net website and establish its reliability and validity. The ASI-MV.net will be an innovative solution to problems collecting product-specific addictions data in real time. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protective Influence of Residential Learning CommunitiesSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2006..At each measurement point, participants will complete a set of measures that assess substance use behaviors and constructs addressed by RLCs. ..
- A Spanish Adaptation of the ASI-Multimedia VersionStephen Butler; Fiscal Year: 2002..Due to its reliability and low cost, we believe the ASI-MV could become the "Gold Standard" addictions assessment. Under such a circumstance, a Spanish adaptation would enjoy widespread use and profitability. ..
- A Randomized Trial of Home Self-Efficacy EnhancementAnthony Jerant; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings will help policymakers, payers, and providers identify which interventions to implement. ..
- NAPS2 Continuation - Genome-Wide Association Study of PancreatitisDavid C Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the genetic basis of pancreatitis will lead to new treatments, and help remove the stigma that chronic pancreatitis is only a disease of drunkards. ..
- Under the Skin: Understanding the Role of Stress and Immune Function in Health DiJENNIFER DOWD; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test whether these immune and infection markers are related to psychosocial and economic stressors and whether they mediate the relationship between SES and health outcomes including mortality. ..
- Abuse-Related Effects of Opioids and Adjuvant Drug Used by Chronic Pain PatientsJames P Zacny; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., muscle relaxant B) would be the preferred drug to prescribe when treating chronic nonmalignant pain patients. ..
- Disability in Valued Life Activities in Persons with Rheumatoid ArthritisPatricia Katz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UNDERSTANDING OCCUPATIONAL INJURY AND ILLNESS TRENDSTed Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..We also will pilot test use of an input-output model to assess the impact of occupational injury/illness on the economy. ..
- A QUANTITATIVE GENETIC MEASURE OF AUTISTIC TRAITSJohn Constantino; Fiscal Year: 2002..If the SRS compares favorably with the ADI-R, the SRS could feasibly be used to study the genetics of autism by examining the genetic structure of autistic traits in whole populations. ..
- BIOPTERIN, CATECHOLAMINES, & NO IN REGULATING APOPTOSISRobert Levine; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may will reveal novel apoptotic regulatory mechanisms and provide new avenues for therapeutic approaches to promote neuronal survival and prevent debilitating neurological diseases, such as Parkinson's disease. ..
- The Brain & Psychosis: Asymmetry & cortical organizationMartin Reite; Fiscal Year: 2005..Altered tototopy and somatotopy will be examined as antecedents or results of psychosis. The findings will help identify individuals at risk for illness, and separate disease and psychosis-associated brain changes in mental disorders. ..
- c-erbB-2 and Risk of Contralateral Breast CancerChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protein Biomarkers of Cancer Risk in Older PersonsChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Measurement of Gender Differences in Disability and CareKathryn Yount; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Secular Changes in Alzheimer's Disease RiskLiesi Hebert; Fiscal Year: 2008..This information is essential for planning the future health resources needed to care for people with AD. PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 09/04, Reissued 4/2006) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Patients with Alcohol Problems and Chronic Pain: Use of Alcohol and Pain ServicesCynthia Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will work with clinicians and the health plan to develop this future research. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Family History in CAD Risk AssessmentMaren Scheuner; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, the incremental value of comprehensive familial risk assessment in decision-making regarding lipid-lowering treatment with diet or drugs for primary prevention of CAD will be analyzed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ASSORTMENT AND TRANSMISSION OF ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO USEChandra Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Increasing CRC Screening in Health Plan MembersKaren Glanz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- EFFECT OF HEART DISEASE EDUCATION ON OLDER WOMENNoreen Clark; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Auditory Perception of Drug Names: Neighborhood EffectsBruce Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitive dysfunction in neuropsychiatric-SLEMichael Lockshin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Successful completion of this research will redefine the pathogenesis of cognitive dysfunction and suggest therapeutic targets for intervention...
- Training & Education:Advanced Multidisciplinary Clinical Research (TEAM) (RMI)MARY CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, this is the right time and UW-Madison is the right place for this far-reaching, innovative training grant. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oncology Clinical Trial Accrual StudyANNEKE SCHROEN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Training/Education: Advance in Clinical Research (RMI)MARY CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2004..Extramural federal research funding for the primary mentors exceeds $80 million annually in direct costs. Thus, this is the right time and UW-Madison is the right place for this far-reaching, innovative training grant. ..
- Women's Health & Aging:Research and Leadership TrainingMARY CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Youth Alcohol, Tobacco and Marijuana Use: Effects of Hours of Work and WagesRobert Kaestner; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed research will identify the importance of employment and earned income on youth substance use and produce information that can be used to design effective public health policy to address this problem. ..
- Latent Growth Curve Paths to Longevity: The Terman StudyChandra Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- EXERCISE FOR ELDERLY PERIPHERAL REVASCULARIZED PATIENTSAndrew Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Occupational Medicine Activities and Skills: An Empiric StudyPhilip Harber; Fiscal Year: 2009..Analyses will be both descriptive and address specific questions such as determining the impact of formal education and evaluating whether occupational preventive medicine is a homogeneous field or composed of distinct subgroups. ..
- Neglect and Abuse Histories Among Homeless Young AdultsKimberly Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..